Speaker 1: What's up, everybody.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to another episode of Bucko Territory, presented to you by the Foul Territory Network on Noahile's. Joining me as always are my co hosts, Josh Harrison and Platinum Key aka Mark. It is a mail bag Wednesday where we review your trade targets for the Pittsburgh Pirates.
Speaker 1: We got a lot of submissions this week.
Speaker 2: You can tell the trade deadline is approaching and a lot of really good names suggested. I. You know, we we've kind of veered away from the basic, you know, household name relievers and we're getting into the weeds and these are.
Speaker 1: Some very intriguing names.
Speaker 2: So if you look at the board, we have Trevor Rodgers, we have Peter Lambert, and we have Huscar Barb Yes yeah, Rosbon Yeah what they said.
Speaker 1: Anyway, so he's got to. But the reason I wanted to point out.
Speaker 2: These names we're gonna review each of them in a different segment, is we have two starting pitchers here as opposed to one reliever, which I think is notable because it's.
Speaker 1: Looking like they might need help covering innings. And that's how we're gonna get started right now with Rogers.
Speaker 2: Uh, he is gonna open the first segment and Mark take up, take it away, pitch us on, mister Rogers.
Speaker 3: Trevor Rodgers, Yeah, Rogers, yeah, all good.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: When I saw his name pop up, I actually got kind of excited because I know, we we've said, you know, we don't really need lefties obviously, but that's when we were talking bullpen. And as you look at the starting staff, obviously, uh, you know there might be some innings that need to be limited for some people that you might need to be you know, somebody's that's got to take the bulk of it. And you know what better way than finding somebody that you know, is a starter that's used to, you know, going some innings and has also I don't want to say, been shipped around, but it is not unfamiliar to you know, New territory. And one he's a lefty and when you look at it, I got excited looking at you know, the fastball run value. To me, it looks like he's pitching aggressively with his fastball and I love to see that, but you know, because I think that just sets up everything else. And obviously if you look at his off speed, I don't think his off speed has been doing too well, but his fastball is doing enough, and I don't know if that's due to his extension, which I've actually faced him, and I remember he was in Miami. He was kind of a taller lefty that had a little bit of you know, length to him, and his fastball could play up a little bit. But you know, obviously a guy that's that's in his own pitches with his fastball and you know, with this offense, I think he's a guy that could fit into this you know, pitching rotation pretty well because he's gonna be aggressive with his fastball. And you know, I saw it and looking at it, Noah, the one thing that you said, pirates like his extension, and he was in a red thing, so I was like, you know, that's something that you know pirates do like. And as a starter, I don't, you know, I don't dislike, you know, having this addition, because he's somebody that I think a bolster of staff, which you know, you make your starting staff better, you make your willpin better.
Speaker 1: M Yeah, I'll just add one more thing. I mean one. He doesn't have a ton of control remaining money.
Speaker 4: I think he's a free agent. Yeah, free agent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, there I think there is a no, he's.
Speaker 4: I think he's going for Actually, I think this is he's in his last year of arbitration right now.
Speaker 1: I believe for Rogers. Now, what I'm looking at says something a lot different.
Speaker 2: It says he's going to be do thirteen million in the next two seasons and then conditioned club option in twenty twenty nine, is what I'm seeing.
Speaker 3: His Baseball reference list twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 2: Nope, that's because I'm looking at Okay, I gonna say, there's too many people with the last name Rogers who pitching major League Baseball, so I'm not even gonna wear it.
Speaker 3: Some of them like what the heck?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was confused.
Speaker 4: I was like, dang, did I look at the no.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, yeah, he's making six million this year. Yeah, but yeah, yeah, you know.
Speaker 4: He's a free agent. So I'm thinking, you know, maybe maybe nothing too pricey, right, which that was the other thing that made it appealing.
Speaker 2: Yes, And the other thing so with that price point, yes is a rental left hander.
Speaker 1: They left these with the extension do very well at PNC Park. And the other thing I really like about yes, there.
Speaker 2: The other thing I really like about him, if you look at his game log, he has gone at least five innings in every start since May twenty fourth. He is going to come in and cover innings for you. That's what That's what you need.
Speaker 1: You just need. I don't care if it's a righty or a lefty.
Speaker 2: You need guys who are going to pitch for more than half the game throughout the rest of July, August and September. And I don't know how many guys you have in this rotation you can depend on to do that, Like they should all be able to do it, but I don't know if you're going to get that five times a week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or let them So that's that's I think a big selling point. Mark. Do you have anything to add on this one?
Speaker 3: Yeah. It's just been a tale of two different halves for Trevor Rodgers this year.
Speaker 5: His e RA.
Speaker 3: In May was a ten point three to one. Since then, though in June two point oh five, in July one point oh four, he's really really come into his own. The Orioles starting rotation kind of went through some some injuries, and he's really stepped up massively for them, since I think June fourth is really like the cutoff date since he's come on so nice to see that he's figured some stuff out. Uh, and maybe the Pirates are getting him right at the right time where he's got an edge on the rest of the league.
Speaker 2: Awesome, all right, Yeah, I really like this recommendation. I think this is probably one of the better targets for the Pirates. I think he checks a lot of boxes. I think he's going to be very affordable for them. And I mean the Orioles have been a frequent trade partner for the Pots, like, yeah, have done a lot of business, so yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Mean even time there, I just feel like, you know, spring training was so close, like there.
Speaker 1: Was always exactly Yeah.
Speaker 2: You guys get a very good look at the Orioles in spring training and vice versa, so they have probably an advanced scout on Pirates.
Speaker 1: I don't think that probably plays a factor in it too.
Speaker 3: One final note too on Rogers that just popped into my head. One of the things that he struggled with was getting acclimated with Samuel Beside, the young catcher for the Orioles who's been catching him. That transition was it seems to be attributed to like the struggles in May for Rogers. But you know, if we've mentioned this before, if you're trading starting Pitcher Catcher, that relationship has to reform once he gets to the Pirates. So maybe a little blit, but seems like he's figured things out, So I'm optimistic about Rogers would be a great fit.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, we are going to take a quick break, then we'll get into our next trade target.
Speaker 1: Here, I'm Bucko Territory.
Speaker 6: If you're watching us, you already know we're wearing mack Weldon right now as we talk about a great brand that makes things so comfortable and easy to wear. But if you're listening to the show, let me tell you a little bit more about mack Weldon with my friend Eric Kratz.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's comfortable, it's light, it's summertime right now. For me, though, they cater to what I need tall clothes. Normally, when I buy tall clothes it's like something that's cumbersome and boxy. It still fits incredibly well, super light, perfect for the summertime. They got me all covered.
Speaker 6: Comfortable performance material can be yours. Mack Weldon is the spot, don't sweat the heat this summer. Feel as effortlessly cool as you look. With Mack Weldon, go to Mackweldon dot com and get twenty percent off your first order of one hundred and twenty five bucks or more with promo code foul. That's m A c K W E L d O N dot com code f O U L.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, Mark, all right, take the reins up. Next, here are our most recommended trade target, Wascar Brazabon, who we got a ton of suggestions from David Jack saying ex respector spaghetti Eddy great name, Hunter Lewis. Thank you all for the suggestions, and it's easy to see why Brazibon is so appealing, as like a future Pirate's the one thing that jumps out to me. First. He's thirty six, which is slightly concerning. However, he only made his major league debut in July twenty twenty two against the Pirates. Actually, so he only has just over two years of service time, which means he's about to enter his first year arbitration. And you look at his statcast page, he just does not give up hard contact at all. He's only allowed three home runs this year and forty seven point two innings pitched, and his career high is six home runs in a season and speaking season highs. That's one of my concerns here. He's already thrown forty seven point two innings pitched. That's a lot of tread on the tires for a thirty six year old, so that's slightly concerning. But he's really made the most of those innings. He has one point four b war. You can see he's basically just a sinker change up guy. The sinker is nasty and the change up sits about ninety point seven percent his if I was watching some clips of him from the World Baseball Classic where when the Damaican played Venezuela and that sinker just ate up Jackson Turio, ate up Ronald Acuna Junior and he just ended up with three strikeouts in the fourth inning against Venezuela. So a lot a lot to like about the guy. Only one point zero seven whip and it should be pretty cheap for the Pirates to acquire. The Mets picked him up from the Marlins in twenty twenty four for twenty year old who wasn't even in their top thirty prospects preseason. So yeah, I think the Mets are at very clearly sellers this year, and this bullpen would be a great place to buy from if I'm in the Pirates. What you guys think about Brazabon.
Speaker 1: I'll go real quick.
Speaker 2: I I like him as a rental and I know the whole thing is he has all this year, all these years of control, he's thirty six. His workload is like at a career high. This guy ain't gonna be in the league much like, I mean, I hope I'm wrong. I don't root for people to fade or blow out, but it's just like there are a lot of signs there that says that, like, there could be a pretty big decline.
Speaker 3: He's never thrown more than sixty eight's in the season.
Speaker 4: You're just going off of, you know, the law of you know what you would call averages two basically.
Speaker 1: You know exactly.
Speaker 4: But but you're also not down playing the day. He could be a guy that does get better as he gets older.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe he figured it out and yeah, yeah.
Speaker 7: So that the other Yeah, it's it's concerning in the walk rate is the only two things that like, I mean, I'm not saying the Pirates shouldn't go after this guy.
Speaker 1: They totally shouldn't. He makes a fund of sense.
Speaker 2: But like, I wouldn't pay too much for him just because I wouldn't expect him.
Speaker 1: I guess I wouldn't depend on him to.
Speaker 2: Be a piece of my bullpen next year. I would view him as a rental acquisition, and anything you get after this year from him would be considered bonus. So I would put a price tag on him of what I would have a price tag for a very effective rental, right handed.
Speaker 3: Really, do you think the Pirates would have to give up even like a top thirty prospect for him.
Speaker 2: I mean I don't know, Like maybe yeah, Like it's hard to quantify. It depends what his market is.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, I wouldn't know. But I know you showed some video of me getting hits against Rogers. I think I might have a hit off.
Speaker 3: Bro, you got a walk. I was your over one against him with a walk. That's I read it.
Speaker 6: Rock.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Remember he asked when you was describing a sinker. I remember, you know he was with Miami. It was like, yeah, this dude's got some heavy sink and you see it there, uh the baseball page. I think ninety nine percentile and ground ball I think even ain't hard hit percentage, like contact against him is not hard, not at all, so like like, and that's due to that sinker. You said, sinker change up and it's really the sinker because it's it's a nasty sinker. And you know, obviously he's a guy I do agree can help the bullpen. But you know what relievers are always I don't like to say, but relievers are are you know, going to be part of a caresel. So as you mentioned, though, it's not uncommon to see to say that if he would be a rental, you don't know what you get past that. But at the same time, you know, somebody that I played with that was you know, considered that Jason Grilly got better as he got older, so you never know, you know, and he kind of revived his career in Pittsburgh. But not saying that Brazaban will come here and be Jason Grilly or whatever, just you know, saying that there are two sides that we've seen play out and very very interesting case. But you know, it's to argue that groundball percentage and you know the contact against them is very weak.
Speaker 2: Yes, all right, we're going to take another break when we come back. Final trade target. It's Peter Lambert. We'll talk about it here. I'm Bucko Territory next.
Speaker 6: Hey, for the families out there looking for a new path to help your child succeed, take a look at K twelve Powered Schools. K twelve offers tuition free, accredited online public education for students in kindergarten through twelfth grade, all in a setting that works for your family. And they've been a leader in online education for over twenty five years, serving over three million families and Todd Father you've raved about the homeschooling experience.
Speaker 8: Hey, if you're a busy family, K twelve is where it's at. I've had a couple of my children who've been homeschooled. It's a fantastic opportunity for them not only to get better in school, but timely fashion too and make some new friends. K twelve has every opportunity make your child better and smarter as they move forward in their academic career.
Speaker 6: See how K twelve Powered Schools can help unlock your child's full potential and roll online today at K twelve dot com. Slash foul. That's the letter K, the number twelve dot com slash foul K twelve dot com slash foul.
Speaker 2: All Right, Peter Lambert, our final of the three on today's show. I'm gonna start actually before we go to the savant page, by just talking about his ability to pitch deep into games, because that's the selling point here. Another rental player, a guy who's gonna be a free agent.
Speaker 1: I'm just gonna read through. He's made. How many starts has he made this year?
Speaker 3: Sixteen?
Speaker 2: I have the number sixteen. Fourteen of them have been five innings or more, cool so, and the two that weren't were four and two thirds and four and one thirds, So it's not like he's ever really got shelled. So he pitches deep into games. I see one, two, three, four, seven innings starts there, and a lot more in the sixth right hander. But a guy again, a guy who covers innings. And then you look at the savant page. Pitching run values, fine, fastball run values, good off speed, off speed is solid, breaking is slightly above average. And then like the rest of the under the hood metrics, they're not great, but they're not horrible.
Speaker 1: Right, I Mean, this is what a number five.
Speaker 2: Starter on a really good exactly looks like, and that's what he would be.
Speaker 1: This is what the Pirates need Mitch Keller to be.
Speaker 3: I was just about to say that sounds a lot like what we want Mitch Keller to pitch, Like, Yeah.
Speaker 1: He would come for like one fifteenth of the price.
Speaker 2: So that's uh, that's my selling point is this is what Mitch Keller's supposed to be.
Speaker 1: If he doesn't pitch, well, I don't.
Speaker 2: I mean, I actually think he might have a decent sized market, just because the starting pitching market's gonna be kind of wonk, like I don't know how many true studs will be available, So this will be a guy that I mean, if you're looking for someone who can be a middle of the rotation arm, someone who can cover innings, someone who will be you know, he probably won't win you a ton of games. He definitely won't lose you a lot of games either. This is what you're getting, and I think that that's a pretty attractive trade chip for a lot of teams.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, I wouldn't disagree. I played with his brother. I think got brother Jimmy plays with brother Jimmy in Chicago. But as you said, looking at the metrics, it's hard to not you know, justify you know, a case of you know, acquiring somebody like him, especially as you mentioned, like what you would want from a fifth starter, and not to mention he's doing this with some of his starts in Houston, which is a hitter friendly park, you know, and I'm where people don't really want to talk about it, but same thing for hitters. You know, when you play in certain parks or pitching certain parks, you know, to do that at you know, in Houston's that's not bad man, And as you said, nothing really jumps out at you. But it's a guy that probably knows how to pitch, that understands his stuff, and he knows he I'm getting into the book pen, but I'm going five to six and potentially these are guys that are I don't want to call steals, but like these are guys that end up playing a big part in postseason runs for teams. So once again, it's a lot to like when you see a guy like that that is contributing the way that he is because as you mentioned, not really putting himself in a position to hurt the team and keeping his team in the game, and you know, pitching well and at least into the fifth inning of games, and that's all you can ask for, especially a guy that you're not considering as your horse.
Speaker 3: Yes, and that, Josh, I'll just round this out. You mentioned that ballparks play such a big factor. If you look at his twenty twenty three and twenty twenty four, you'll notice the era in the fives prior to this year. He was pitching for the Colorado Rockies before then, so a little bit of course field effect for that. And yeah, since he's been in Houston, he's been really really good two point seven b war already this year. Just contributing really well would be a significant upgrade to the rotation and another option of a guy who could eat innans. The My only concern is I like the fit more of Trevor Rodgers with the left handed pitching. But but you're gonna get Lambert for so much cheaper that the hand Inness you could off. Yeah, yeah, it make it makes sense exactly.
Speaker 1: Why not get them both?
Speaker 3: Right? Load up all three? Why not?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Trade for everyone?
Speaker 3: Just you know, I had like four more guys to the twenty six man who cares?
Speaker 2: Yeah right, I love it On the note of everyone doing something. Everyone subscribe button if they haven't already. We're on a mission of three thousand subs. Can't get there without your help. Everyone should also head to the Bucket Bucco Territory Team Store where we've got all of your Bucco Territory.
Speaker 1: March, all of it. It's all good stuff.
Speaker 2: And the Foul Territory Team Store as well has some good stuff celebrating the Pirates to all Stars, Paul Schemes and brast Guys. Any final thoughts before we round it out today?
Speaker 3: Uh s Merlyn Valdez the year, Yeah, it needs more attention. Opposite field four.
Speaker 4: Easy leaned on it.
Speaker 1: Just a lot of z Merlin Valdez.
Speaker 2: I won on ninety three seven the Fan today, and they do this game when I go on and I freaking hate doing it. They'll be like, we're gonna name a guy, what's the percentage he gets traded? If you have a fraction of brain, you know that none of the shit matters. And I don't care that. I just swore we're keeping it in because it's all You cannot quantify the odds of someone getting traded.
Speaker 1: It's completely subjective.
Speaker 2: It's just whatever, So I just say a number that comes in my mind. I said, there is a two percent chance as Merlin Valdez gets traded. If you told me tomorrow morning when I wake up, if I had a two percent chance to poop my pants, I would take those odds.
Speaker 1: I would be happy. I would be optimistic that I was not gonna poop my pants.
Speaker 9: Yeah, people are losing their minds on Twitter because I as if I just reported that there's a two percent chance that he's gonna get traded.
Speaker 1: Guys, I get it. The buckos are entertaining. They're in the midst of a playoff run.
Speaker 2: Potentially, you want to see him out at the deadline as Rulin Valdez isn't getting traded. It's gonna be okay. I'm sorry. If you keep tweeting at me. Next time I go on, I'm gonna say it's a five percent chance.
Speaker 1: I'll keep going on.
Speaker 3: The trade rumors will start. Yeah, maybe that will get his name out in the national media.
Speaker 1: Finally, don't, don't, don't, don't, don't. Don't put that evil on the MLB trade rumors.
Speaker 2: That's caused me too many game problems over my career. All right, anyway, sorry to go on that rant. Hope all of our listeners stick stuck around until the end to enjoy that one. It's a fun time baseball season, yes for latinam ke A k A Mark, and Josh Harrison. I'm Noahile signing off saying thanks for tuning in to another episode of Bucko Territory, presented to you by the Foul Territory Network.
Speaker 1: Take care,