Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: Get in on the action with Draft Kings Sportsbook, an official sports betting partner of the NBA. New customers who deposit five dollars or more can get a no sweat bet up to one thousand dollars back in a bonus bet. I was looking at NBA futures this morning. The Golden State Warriors are plus fifty five hundred right now on DraftKings to win the title, so if you believe in them, that's a big number. And Denver I have Denver is my championship favorite. And there's still the second best odds on DraftKings right now at plus four to fifty. So lots of good NBA bets to look at over the course of the end of the season. Download the Draft Kings Sportsbook app now and use code hoops. New customers can get a no sweat bet up to one thousand dollars if your first bet loses only on DraftKings Sportsbook with code Hoops.
Speaker 1: That's hops.
Speaker 2: The Crown is yours gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler or in West Virginia visit www dot one eight hundred gambler dot net. In New York call eight seven seven eight hope and why, or text hope and Why to four six seven three six y nine. In Connecticut, help is available for problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino and Resort in Kansas twenty one plus age varies by jurisdiction. Void in Ontario one. No sweat bet per new customer issued as one bonus bet based on amount of initial losing bet. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuance. See dkang dot com slash promos for deposit wagering and eligibility restrictions, terms and responsible gambling resources. All right, welcome to Hoops tonight. You're at the volume. Happy Tuesday, everybody. Hope all of you guys are having an incredible week. We have a very special show today, a podcast I've been looking forward to for a long time, ever since I got into an argument with Sam on the phone the other day. Sam Vassini from the Athletic covers the NBA good friend of mine, a person who's been very important to me as have been beginning this journey into this industry, someone who's more of a grizzled vet who can help guide me along the way. But in addition to that, is also one of the smartest basketball minds that I talked to, someone that I learned from every single time we talk. And we were talking the other day and we got into an argument about who would win a playoff series between the Thunder and the Lakers if it started tomorrow, and it was passioned, it was heated, and finally we were like, dude, we just got to get on a podcast and we got to hash out all the contenders. And also, I kind of view this stretch right after the All Star break as the kind of like the halfway point, not in the regular season, but kind of between where we start in training camp to someone hoisting the trophy in June. And so I thought today would be the perfect time for us to really take a closer look at our list of contenders. And so, without any further ado, Sam, how are you, man. It's good to see you. How's your year going cover in the league.
Speaker 3: It's great, man, I'm super happy to be here. As you know, I think the world of you. I would recommend everybody listening to this to subscribe to this channel. I don't really listen to other basketball podcasts, watch other basketball content. Jason is like one of like one or two that I actually watch and listen to and view because I love his perspective on all of this. So I really would recommend everybody watching this subscribe to Jason's channel. He's the best.
Speaker 1: You're too kind.
Speaker 2: Without any further ado, though, let's get into the basketball. So, you know, I would argue this is an interesting season in the sense that, like there's very clearly a top tier or tiers of teams. However, you could like legitimately sit down as a fan of almost half the league and be like, we got a shot at this thing, and so we made our lists. And if I'm not mistaken, you told me you had fourteen teams at major lists.
Speaker 3: Correct, I did, but I got by the time I got to the end of it, it was like kind of loosened, you know, amorphous. I wasn't. I think there are fewer teams that have a chance to win the title than fourteen, but yeah.
Speaker 2: I had thirteen before we go into our actual list, though, I have four teams that have won at least thirty one games, but that I think have no shot to win the title, so I'll go one at a time through. I mean, you tell me if you agree I said the Cleveland Cavaliers have no shot to win the title.
Speaker 3: We're gonna have the calves. I think I had the calves a little bit higher than that them at twelve, so a little bit higher, but not terribly far off. I think that, like structurally, it's a little bit too easy to take advantage of their deficiency. I am interested to see if the max Struss addition helps to at least minimize some of the issues that New York presented them in the playoffs last year. But I think that at the end of the day, the mobiley Allen combination is going to be really, really difficult to manage in the playoffs for the Cavs. I think there are too many schematic disadvantages. And I really worry about the defensive side as well. Even though they've been elite defensively, I do worry that you can really take advantage of the Garland Mitchell backcourt in a real.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Donovan Mitchell's defensive season this year has been really impressive to me, and it's made me like a little bit less concerned about the backcourt long term than I was. Like, the only universe in which a Garland Mitchell backcourt would have worked long term, in my opinion, would have involved Donovan becoming a not just a plus defender, but a good defender. And I think he's been a good defender this year. I think Dean Wade and some of the two way play that he's brought to this to the wing forward position has been super valuable. But again, everything to me comes down to the Mobley Allen front court, and I thought people kind of got off the scent a little bit last year with the focus on shooting. Not that shooting isn't an important element to this team's ability to have success in pick and roll and stop teams from guarding at three on two, but to me, it has more to do with Evan Mobley's offensive development and the simple fact that, especially in the short role, he's just not very good. I've advocated even for swapping it and just having Jared Allen run the short roles and having Evan Mobley kind of operate more the dunker spot to try to mix it up. But the bottom line is is like, when you start to really get to me, The Cleveland Cavaliers are an extremely well coached team that plays extremely hard, that thrives in these middle portions of the season when effort and energy kind of waxes and wanes more for other teams, And so I think they're nowhere near as good as their record, and I gave them no chance. My second one was the New Orleans Pelicans. I don't think they have a real chance to win the title.
Speaker 1: What do you think?
Speaker 3: I agree with you. They were like fourteen fifteen on my list, like in that back end of the amorphous list. I had them with a lower chance than the Calves. The Calves at least like play hard, and I can see I'm not saying the Pelicans don't, but I can see the Calves like at least winning a playoff series. Maybe if they get a super advantageous matchup in the second round, maybe they can get past that. The Pelicans. I really have enjoyed Brandon Ingram in the playoffs generally. I think his game translates well there weirdly, but it's still the combination of brandon Ingram in Zion. They've been running these point Zion combinations from time to time that I think have been somewhat effective, but I still don't love the fit between the two of those guys. I still think they haven't figured out how to elevate each other in a way that makes them better than what their singular skills are. And this team just frankly, is not talented enough compared to the top teams in the league. That's the reality, and it's going to be difficult for them, I think, to come up with lineup combinations in the front court, in the back court in ways that allow you to defend and score in the playoffs. They're a team filled with one way players right now.
Speaker 2: Is the biggest issue specifically in the front court, and like that, that's death in the NBA playoffs. To me, they're like a worse version of the Clippers. They're a team that has a lot of length on the perimeter. They've got a lot of guys like that you think of as you know, driving kick guys that can but that on the other end, can also compete on the perimeter, like we've seen the Pelicans beat really good teams before, where they lock in on the perimeter and they're driving kicking you to death on the other end of the floor, and specifically like like using Zion a lot. Zion has been playing a lot better as of late, getting guys like CJ. McCollum attacking closeouts more rather than constantly operating and pick and roll. I've seen a lot of good from them, but to me, like there's not there. There isn't this one big draw. It's like, do I think they defend at a championship level? No?
Speaker 1: I don't. I don't think they're good enough in the front court.
Speaker 2: Do I think that they have a superstar offensive player that can truly just for four straight rounds just be a surgeon half court. No, I don't think they have that type of player. Do I think they have an absurd depth of talent that can overcome a lot of these issues?
Speaker 1: No, I don't.
Speaker 2: So they don't just they don't have like that ace in the hole. There are a lot of bad not bad teams, but flawed teams that were going to hit today where it's like they have this ace.
Speaker 1: In the hole.
Speaker 2: Like it's the Bucks, it's Damon Giannis, if it's the Lakers, it's Lebron James Anthony. They just don't have that like one singular, like transformatively great thing that they do. That kind of sets them apart. The third team I put on this list was the Sacramento Kinks.
Speaker 1: What about you, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, they just aren't going to be able to defend at a level of commensurate with winning a title. In my opinion. I loved their series against the Warriors last year. I thought that they really proved that their style of play has a better chance to hold up under like realistic scrutiny and in terms of like a coach adjusting against what they're trying to present to the opposing team. But again, like they just haven't fixed the defensive issue. And for as good as Demanda Sabonis has been this season, for as incredible as the combination between he and Daron Fox has been, I really need to see it from them in the playoffs at the end of the day before I trust them. That feels like, you know, TV talking point ish. But the way that Kevon Looney was able to minimize his impact on that series last year really kind of sticks in my head in a negative way. It's the same with the Cavs, Like Jared Allen like got his ass kicked last year by Mitchell Robinson in that playoff series. And Jared Allen is probably one of the most underrated players in the NBA at this point during regular season competition. He's a huge part of why they've been successful. It's kind of the same with the Kings, Like I thought that Kevon Looney marginally compared to what their commensurate values are to their team. You know, Demount Sumo has played better than Kavon Lune. He did in that series, but I thought Cavan got the better of him compared to what they needed from each of those players in that series. So it's hard for me to get that out of my mind, and it's hard for me to imagine they're going to defend it a level high enough to.
Speaker 2: Work that dropping the right shoulder and getting to that lefty hook, especially on the rolls to the rim when he kind of catches and takes that power dribble, they're just there. He just inevitably runs into a guy who's big and strong enough to kind of withstand that, and then he's a below the rim player at that point. You know, it's funny because we've seen this a lot in the NBA history, where like Kevin Love was this really good post up folkrum pick and pop folkrum in the regular season, and then he'd get to the postseason and he'd get his butt kicked by a big, strong forward, or like Julius Randall's kind of this kind of guy too, Like that that big forward who's not really exceptionally athletically gifted, but that relies on a lot of bully ball but isn't necessarily the best touch, or that kind of guy can cut sometimes struggle when they run into super physical environments. And I tend to agree, like, what's you look at the Kings. I was pulling these numbers the other day. When they defend, they win, that's the crazy part. Like when they defend, they win, and when they don't, they're not good and offensively, they're not good enough offensively to just simply outscore teams, And that has ended up being the issue more often than not, Like like they'll have a night like they did against the Nuggets the other night where they can really defend and they have perimeter talent to actually they have enough speed on the perimeter to actually be pretty good in rotation and to be pretty good at the point of attack when they want to be. But it's just never been a consistent and it's it's crazy too with Mike Brown as the coach that that hasn't become more of an identity for them in the long run. The last team I had on this list was the Indiana Pacers. I love Tyrese Halliburton. He's legitimately, in my opinion, like a transcendently great offensive player. I think some of his recent struggles are more just classic soft tissue stuff, like you come back from a hammy, you don't really take that aggressive step like you normally do. Like I think, I tend to think that he's on that trajectory to be the next like truly great offensive engine. And I think the Siakam fit is beautiful. There love everything about it. I just I just think within the scope of this season, they're not physically imposing enough or good enough in any unit to win the title.
Speaker 3: What do you think, Yeah, the Haliburton injury. I hope that he's used this, you know, little week that he's going to get. I know that he had so many events that he had to do at All Star this weekend, being like the hometown hero basically like it felt like he did everything he could to get himself out there, like probably did not get the rest that his body necessarily needed. Hopefully he'll get like just days off of physical activity in some way that allows that hamstring to recover a little bit. I agree with you in terms of the soft tissue thing. He just hasn't quite been there. But I believe in him in big moments, as we saw during the nd season tournament. I think that super skill, super decision making, great shooting. Those skills translate to the highest level, and I think that he'll be great in the settings in the playoffs. I do worry a little bit about just for this season, not long term. This season, the synergy between he and Siakam and trying to figure out the ways to make their defense at the highest level it possibly can be with Siakam and Turner in the front court, that synergy is just missing a little bit right now. Maybe they can get it there by the time that April rolls around. I don't know that they would be like a zero percent chance to meet just in case the Siakam Turner thing like turns into being able to hold up their defense on their shoulders in a substantial way. But I think you're safe to keep them out of this conversation just for now. I do think though, that there are some interesting schematic advantages that they can create both in the half court and with their transition opportunities in the full court.
Speaker 2: Okay, I have a follow up for you, because you're way more connected than me around the league. What are you hearing about the Pacers in their long term vision for the surrounding players around Halliburton and Siakam? So, for instance, like do they view do they view Ben Matherin and like a like an Aaron Nee Smith is good enough at the two and three? Do they view Miles Turner as their long term solution at center?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: Where are they at as a team building as far as team building goes?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I haven't heard a crazy amount about the surrounding pieces. I know that they are very excited about Pascal Siakam and the ability to pair him with Tyre's Halliburton long term. I know that they love the fit of Miles Turner with Pascal Siakam. Part of what the Raptors struggled with spacing wise is that Siakam, you know, up until this season, with that little stretch he had before he got moved, hadn't really shot the ball well at all for the previous four years that he'd been there. Right, That led to him being in the mid post and Yaka pertl being willing to like short roll into that middle like area at the foul line extent. And then you have Scotty Barnes who loves to operate in that area as well, and it led to a condensed difficult court to deal with with Miles Turner, who can go out and space the floor in a semi real way. Like teams don't ignore him out there. They tend to at least try to get a late close out on him when he shoots threes and picking pops and when he spaces to the corner. I think that they can really operate in an intriguing way using Pascal Siakam Tyre's Halliburton you know one four ball screens. The thing though, that I think they're going to miss for this season particularly, and this speeds into the idea of their kind of pieces around these guys. Buddy Heald was a sneaky, really important thing for them, just schematically he didn't have his best season this year for whatever reason, but the way that they would utilize him in the gravity that he possessed around the court for the Pacers. I mean Tyre's Halliburton, Like he said this as soon as they moved him. He's played basically every game of his career up until you know the trade deadline with Buddy held on the court, and the level of spacing that Heal creates because you have to stay attached to him at all times across the court is so essential. It is so so dangerous for an opposing team. It's why I love the Buddy Heeld acquisition for the Philadelphia seventy six ers. Like, we'll talk about that when we get to the seventy six ers. Maybe, but I wonder if we get some diminishing returns more than what people expect by the Pacers moving Healed, and maybe that might be the best case for you, thinking that they're a no chance team. The fact that they moved a guy that is actually like a really important schematic cog for them in the playoffs. The fact they moved him is really going to hinder what they do. But long term, I think Matherin, they really like Ben Mathurin, they really like Jaris Walker, they actually really really like Andrew Nemhart as well. I mean, I'm not gonna sit here and say that, Like they think Nemhart is a long term starter necessarily, but they love having Nemhards, Like you're either your fifth man out on the court, you're sixth man something like that. A guy that takes on tougher defensive assignments from time to time, makes great decisions, can shoot it a little bit. They liked a lot of their younger pieces, and I think they'll be aggressive trying to go out and get the final piece next to their Haliburton, Siakham Turner core. But beyond that, I think it remains to be seen where they'll go. The big piece of the Siacam deal, though, is that they didn't move any of Matherin, Jarris Walker, Andrew Nemhart, and thus they still have assets to move in order to fill out that roster around them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Buddy Heel piece is interesting because that's actually one of their biggest pet actions. Like the two actions they were on most frequently are Haliburton Turner pick and Pop and then basically a ghost screen with Buddy Heeled, which screws everybody up because they can't figure out how to guard that specific action. I do understand it from the big picture of like a big picture you can't have a Haliburton heel, but backcourt, you just can't, like there's not enough that you're not good enough defensively in my opinion, at the point of attack in terms of a big picture goal for that type of situation, ideally you're hoping for a guy like Ben Mathin to kind of develop into a better defender than he has been, and he's been really bad. But anyway, we spent enough time on these lower level teams. I just I wanted to kind of get that fleshed out, just from the same point of the way we kind of constructed our lists the way this is the way that I'm going to do it, and who knows how the hell this will go. So we're just gonna we're just gonna try and see what happens. I have my list and I'm going to go through one at a time. Sam's going to tell me whether or not he agrees, and if he disagrees, he's going to tell me whether or not that team should be higher or lower, and he'll give the case for why my first tier is bonafide traditional top tier contenders. These are teams that, in my opinion, check all of the boxes that you hope to have checked for a team that typically will go on to win the title. Number One, I have the Denver Nuggets. I think they're by far the best combination of half court offense and defense that we know translates to the playoff setting. The record is not as bad as it looks when you factor in how much time Jamal Murray has missed. As a matter of fact, they're twenty eight to twelve when Jamal Murray has played. That's a seventy percent win percentage. That's basically what the Minnesota Timberwolves have been. They've definitely had some kind of like flat efforts this year where they've gone out and just been blitzed for whatever reason, But that, to me is kind of a typical part of being the target on your back, defending champ type of type of situation. The bench is an issue, but it was an issue last year, Like they were around eleven points negative net with Jokic off the floor last year. They're around eleven points negative net without Jokic this year, according to Cleaning the Glass. So like, I think hyper focusing on that misses the point that it was literally a non issue in the postseason. Last year, they just scaled the minutes up and they were so dominant that it never ended up being an issue. So to me, like I'll actually place it a little bit more aggressively. If the Nuggets starting five is healthy, I would I would be surprised if they didn't win the title. That's how confident I am in this team. So I'm curious, even if you have the Nuggets at one, you could at least tell me if you don't view them as strongly as I do.
Speaker 3: I do have the Nuggets at one. I think they are the clear favorite right now to win the title. We'll talk about I think the team that maybe both of us will have next or in the top three, I would have this team in the top tier with the Nuggets as well. The Nuggets so far have played a top ten shrink the schedule. They've played a tougher schedule than any of the other Timberwolves, Clippers, Thunder as well. They've played tougher schedule than any of those teams. So when you look at the record, plus they've had the Murray injury, I'm not concerned about what their record looks like right now. I think they're going to be one hundred percent fine once the playoffs hit. My only concern for Denver is they didn't make a real move at the deadline, obviously, and this team still does not have amazing depth. If somebody was to go down, if a even like if a Contavious Caldwell Pope or an Aaron Gordon goes down, I do worry a little bit about, you know, elevating somebody like Christian Brown or Peyton Watson into the starting lineup and then having to replace those you know, let's call it like twenty minutes that one of those two provide with somebody like deep on their bench, that I really would have like concerns about in a playoff setting. So that I think is the one point of contention. But if we're starting to get into concerns about that, that's the sign of an elite team, a truly fantastic basketball team. They have the best player in the world in NICOLEA. Jokic. They have constructed a roster. Calvin Booth has done a fantastic job building an organization that fits around their best player to the nth degree. He elevates everybody. They elevate themselves beyond what they're capable of. I think Jamal Murray when he's been on the court this season has been outstanding and was all star quality. So I have no real concerns about the Denver Nuggets outside of potentially even if one of their starting quality non star players gets hurt, what does that look like in terms of their lineup flexibility in the playoffs?
Speaker 1: So I one hundred percent agree.
Speaker 2: For the record, I've actually done rants on my show before about how I think it's like. If you, to Calvin Booth's credit, I can't think of a lineup you probably have to go back to like the twenty fourteen Spurs to find a lineup that has a larger gap between like the individual reputations of all five players kind of combined versus the basketball effectiveness of their five together. Like to put it, simply, like the some, their actual tangible greatness so far supersedes the some of their parts, and to his credit, they he just constructed, in my opinion, a perfectly complimentary starting five.
Speaker 1: Now the counter to that would be.
Speaker 2: Because I agree, you take KCP out of the equation, you take your best guard defender out of the equation, at least out of the starting group and a very very very important spacing guy, second side action guy. Kcp's always been one of my favorite transition guards in the league too. Aaron Gordon, just the job he did on Kevin Durant and on Lebron James, like even going on to Jimmy Butler, like he was just incredibly important on the defensive end of the floor anchoring them last year. Like, I have one hundred percent agree with you. Here's the thing. If the Celtics lust kersops porzingis, what would you say, they fundamentally become a significantly lesser team. If they lost Derek White, they fundamentally become a significantly lesser team. Yet, like go to the Timberwolves. It's like, if they lose Jayden McDaniels, fundamentally lesser team. Mike Conley is so important to them in their half court execution, fundamentally lesser team. The Clippers, you take any of their core guys, Terrence Man out, all of a sudden, it's a whole lot more Norman Powell and Russell Westbrook. You take you know, Paul George out, you take James Hard and now you get the points. So like I do think that even though I agree with you that I don't think the Nuggets starting five can withstand an injury really to anybody in that group.
Speaker 1: I suppose if you had to pick.
Speaker 2: One, it probably be Michael Porter Junior, right, and then Peyton Watson slides into that spot. But even then, like that, he's such an important part fundamentally of guarding actions two on two versus three on two against Denver, Like you just you just have a better chance. Peyton Watson, he's gotten good at that slot, cut out out of the weak side wing and moving along the baseline, like he's learned how to play off the ball, but he just isn't the same level of Like Michael Porter Junior is one of the best off ball players the entire league, so like he's even a very good offensive rebounder. Like like I to me, to me, all five of those guys are a vital importance and so yeah, like I I agree that they have a lack of depth, but I just don't think that that necessarily. I just think it's unfair to nitpick that without necessarily pointing out that the same exists for any of these other teams. So I think the perfect way to transition this here is to go to my number two, which is the Boston Celtics, And I guess let's start with this, Like I think a Celtics Nuggets finals is pretty likely. I think it's pretty likely. Uh I, So in that matchup, I think.
Speaker 3: I'm higher on one team, Like I'm.
Speaker 1: Interesting with the Clippers.
Speaker 3: I'm higher on the Clippers than I think.
Speaker 2: Okay, I had the Clippers at number three, and let's hit the Clippers.
Speaker 3: See, like I think the Clippers. I think the Clippers can lose on a Norman Powell or Terrence Man. There are somebody like that. They can't lose Zubot because Zubots is like the real size guy. I think they can lose one of those guys and still be Okay.
Speaker 2: Terrence Man takes their primary point of attack assignments and puts these long athletes off the ball. I find it, and then it just like all of a sudden, It's like fifteen more minutes of Russell Westbrook every single night too, which is which is terrifying to me a little bit. I Okay, let let's let's let's let's hit the Clippers.
Speaker 1: Let's do the Celtics, all right, Let's do the Celtics.
Speaker 3: First, Yeah, and we'll get there.
Speaker 2: Let me just let me just start by asking you a question. Why are the Boston Celtics twenty seventh and paint points scored per game?
Speaker 1: Why? Why?
Speaker 2: Why do they do that? Why are they third in pull up jumpers taken? Why are they why do they take the most threason? Like, why are they as athletically gifted as they are so perimeter oriented? Can you explain that to me?
Speaker 3: Well, honestly, so, Like they are athletically gifted, but a lot of their players are not like perimeter touch guys. Right, Jason Tatum has never been a super high end like I'm gonna go get paint touches, drive and kick. I'm gonna go get paint touches like he's a you know, if I'm gonna get the ball, i might get a post up and try to bully somebody in a mismatch onto the block, but I'm probably gonna pull up more than I'm gonna try and get all the way to the rim that way. Uh. Jalen Brown like can be a real paint touch guy. I would say he's there one, But like Drew Holliday is thirty three, thirty four years old, at this point hasn't really been that guy the last couple of years. Derek White has never been like a super high end paint touch guy. Christoph Sporzingis has always been a perimeter big. It kind of does line up to me in terms of that. But I also can see why this would be a concern because we've seen, you know, in general, the last couple of years under Joe Mazzula, their late game offense has been a slog from time to time. The ability to get a paint touch is a real combo breaker, a counter breaker, which is why we'll talk about the Thunder and this is what people I think are waiting for after your intro. Why I do like the Thunder in some way with their late game offense to be able to consistently get interesting looks. The Celtics have struggled to consistently get interesting looks. The Timberwolves this year another team that has struggled to consistently get good looks around around the rim, certainly from different scenarios in late game situations. So that would be my one concern with Boston. Can they consistently find late game offense that works for them. We need to also call it out too. This is a truly elite offense. I mean they have like a one to twenty two offensive raiding right now. They are elite on that end because Jason Tatum is incredible. Jason Tatum's pull up game has really shifted over the course of I would say, what the last month and a half or so, he's been outstanding knocking down pull up threes. I think he's at like thirty nine percent like the start of January something like that with pull up threes. That really transforms their potential on offense in late game situations. Having the spacing of Christaps Porzingis has totally transformed everything that they can do on the offensive en in addition to being able to play big with Porzingis and Al Horford and be able to guard a lot of different things, stay big on defense while having five out spacing, which is so important to what they want to do. Yeah. Look, I love the Celtics. I think they've been fantastic this season. I would have them, you know, number two, number three, I basically have them like two to a right now. With the team we're going to talk about momentarily here a defend at the point of attack at a super high level. They can play big, they're flexible lineup wise. Again, they're just not that deep and probably can't withstand much in terms of injuries. But yeah, the Celtics are an elite team and they are clearly the favorite to come out of the Eastern Conference right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm kind of trolling a little bit there with the way I presented you that question. I think a lot of people Galaxy bring the Celtics a little bit with the standpoint is like, well watch this.
Speaker 1: You know, they're clearly bad.
Speaker 2: At this, and it's like, well, they're fucking awesome and everything else, you know, like it does people definitely Galaxy brain them a little bit.
Speaker 1: I love the.
Speaker 2: Fact that they have so much depth at very specifically important skill sets, Like they have a depth of perimeter defenders at the guard position, they have a depth of perimeter defenders at the wing position. They've got a legitimate shot blocker and chrisops Porzingis. They've got a guy in Al Horford that can guard some of the bigger post players in the league and usually tends to cause problems for them. You know, they've got guys that can beat mismatches out of the post They've got guys that can beat mismatches out of ISO. They can play driving kick basketball. The thing, the big thing that I'm gonna be watching with them down the stretch of the season, because like they have like an incredibly easy schedule down the stretch. They're pretty tough here for the next few weeks and then it lightens up basically the rest of the way. They are already six games up on the rest of the Eastern Conference. There are four games up on Minnesota for the number one overall seed. They have some slush here to like really treat the last twenty something games as almost like as almost like a testing ground for a lot of stuff I'd like to see them work on.
Speaker 1: Essentially.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it needs to be a different offensive configuration entirely or just an unapproach, but like to me, they are because they their offense is not just legitimate, It's been really good regardless of matchup. They've also been one of the very best offenses in the league against top ten defenses. They have had no issues scoring the basketball in the large sample, but they have had issues scoring the basketball in this small sample. What I mean by that is they've had games where they go broke and they look like shit, and a big part of and a big part of it, like just recently in this last month, it's like the Clippers game, it's the Nuggets game. It's like these big, high profile games where it just seems like none of the shots can fall and so might.
Speaker 3: By the way, I love that you didn't mention the Lakers. That's the obvious one that came to mind for me.
Speaker 2: You know what's funny though, Like I don't even look at the Lakers as one of those hot teams anymore. So it's like, I know I've become such a defeatist about them. We'll see. But when it comes to the way that they've configured their offense, like for instance, like Tatum is shooting the pull up jump shot better, but he we're talking like forty five percent of his shot diet his pull up jump shots, Like that's a hefty chunk of his like, and when you factor in that he's taken a few catch and shoot jumpers every game, like more than half of his game is jump shooting. And this is a guy that I agree with you that that's kind of who he is as a player. I agree, But this is also one of the most physically gifted forwards we have in the league.
Speaker 1: I'm saying he needs to change, is what I'm saying. I'm saying he needs to.
Speaker 3: Or he just needs to be like the best shooters shooter the league like it needs to be, which he's not. So like Kawhi Leonard gets away with this, Like Kawhi Leonard takes like you know what, two or three shots at the rim per game and lives off of a diet of mid range jumpers and occasional three pointers and still shoots a billion percent from the field approximately. So like, that's that's the level that Jason Tatum needs to get to. He either needs to be that guy or he needs to be able to get to the rim in the way they it's.
Speaker 2: For the record, I think that that kit. I think Tatum can undergo a little bit of that transition in the sense that, like what makes Kawhi such an outstanding mid range jump shooter is he uses his strength to get to spots closer to the rim, and whereas like Tatum takes highly difficult, like longer distance pull up jump shots and so between the leaning on the pull up jump shot between the team wide leaning on like the they're they're third in pull up jump shots as a team. They lead the league in three point shots attempted. As I mentioned earlier, they're twenty seventh in points in the paint per game. It has added a huge element of variance to the way they play, and so as a result of that, they are capable of having games. And I know that like a lot of the analytics guys just agree with me on this, but I do believe that shooting is contagious. I do believe that like when a team starts missing, it gets in the head of the team and like everyone starts to kind of get tight and their hands get sweaty and like.
Speaker 3: And I it's a confidence exact.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so I do think that stuff matters, and so like I think the if the Celtics lose, it'll look like what it looked like in these games we saw in the last month. It'll be a big game, five, game six against a Milwaukee or somebody, or the Knicks I'm pretty high on. We'll talk about in a little bit, or a big game in the in the finals against the Nuggets where it's like or against the Clippers or somebody like that where it's like they miss five or six in a row and it's like it almost they almost start to get a little hesitant, but they don't have this other punch that they can go to. So I just want to see I would love to see over these last twenty something games, like just an attempt to add more versatility to the way they attack on offense.
Speaker 1: To me, that would go such a long way.
Speaker 2: Like what are you gonna do in the game when we call a time out and we're down seven in the middle of the third quarter and we just missed five or six threes in a row, what are we gonna do? Are we gonna sit down and be like, hey guys, this is one of those nights we're a little in our heads. We're not making these shots. How about we, you know, spam this wedge action to get tatum, you know, like some low post touches or or porzingis, you know, whatever it is. You got to do something to just kind of like almost bake in a physical aggression to the the beginning of their offensive possessions, because then from there it might call it because then you might still get catch and shoot threes. But they'll they'll at least come out of an attempt to get the ball into the paint first. I would just like to see them try that, to me, would be a big uh like thing. I'm gonna be keeping an eye on here down the stretch. Did you have any other thoughts on the Celtics before we move on?
Speaker 3: I don't, But honestly, like that ability to be multiple on offense is why I think I'm higher on the Clippers then what many people are, and why I actually have them in the same tier as the Celtics and the Nuggets right now. Like, I think they have a real ability to be multiple on offense and have different ways to beat you in a way that they haven't had previously. Now, like we'll talk about the major factor with the Clippers here momentarily, but like I'll let you kind of take the lead on where you want to go with that conversation.
Speaker 2: Get in on the action with Draft Kings Sportsbook, an official sports betting partner of the NBA. New customers who deposit five dollars or more can get a no sweat bet up to one thousand dollars back in a bonus bet. I was looking at NBA futures this morning The Golden State Warriors are plus fifty five hundred right now on DraftKings to win the title, so if you believe in them, that's a big number. And Denver I have Denver is my championship favorite. And there's still the second best odds on DraftKings right now at plus four to fifty, So lots of good NBA bets to look at over the course of the end of the season. Download the Draft Kings Sportsbook app now and use code Hoops. New customers can get a no sweat bet up to one thousand dollars if your first bet loses only on DraftKings Sportsbook with Code Hoops, that's hops. The crown is yours. You'll know real when you get it. It'll say eBay Authenticity Guarantee, and you'll feel it because when it comes to your feet, eBay has your back. Maybe it's a head turning pair for hooping or hot new collab, whatever you're after. When you cop on eBay, you can trust that your kicks will be checked by experts. Not just any experts, sneaker experts who live and breathe the culture, real people with real hands on authentication experience. That's what the blue check mark represents on our listings eBay Authenticity Guarantee, meaning every inch, stitch, soul and logo is verified authentic through a detailed inspection. So when you finally step into those grail kicks, you'll realize that the feeling is unlike any other. And with eBay's authenticity Guarantee, that feeling of real is always within reach and sure your next purchase is the real deal. Visit eBay dot com for term. So this next tier, I have titled teams hitting traditional championship benchmarks, but that have playoff question marks, and so that to me is where I have the Clippers. The big question marks I have for the Clippers are kind of similar to someones that I have for other teams, Like they're not a good defensive rebounding team. That to me is another kind of like hallmark. We're gonna I pulled some stats for you. I'm prepped for a thunder argument, Sam, Just wait, I've pulled some stats about defensive rebounding in recent NBA champions and so there's some concerning stuff there. They're not a good defensive rebounding team. They they are actually a better paint attacking team than you'd think the Clippers are actually fifteenth and points in the paint per one hundred possessions. I do think they have more scoring resiliency in the sense that, like, I just think they're a better like type of they play. In my opinion, they take a lot of the same shots that Boston does, although fewer threes, but they're just better at it. They're better at playing that brand of basketball. I think in terms of like that slow down half court environment. They're top five in both half court offense and defense. That's usually a big hallmark for a championship contender. There's sixth in clutch net rating. That's another hallmark for a championship contender. And again, like you mentioned to me, let's just put it this way, Kaui is a better player than Tatum.
Speaker 1: Would you agree?
Speaker 3: Okay, Yes, I think Kawhi is the player I would take if we were drafting players for a playoff series right now, I would take Kawhi at number two behind you.
Speaker 1: Really there's a take, okay.
Speaker 2: So so for the record, I generally I'm generally super high at too healthy to be clear, But to your point, Kawhi Leonard brings a scoring resiliency to the playoffs that I think is super valuable when we get to this point. I think James Harden too, Like, I think there's less pressure on him in this playoff run than there was last year in the sense that, like, I think this team can kind of withstand a bad James hard and Night in a better way than that the Sixers could. So, like, I'm really really high on the Clippers too. Again, it really just comes down to for me, and again, I'm not even gonna talk about healthier. The only thing it really comes down to for me is like they're a bad defensive rebounding team. They do take a lot of pull up jumpers and we have seen them go cold like they did against Denver in twenty twenty, although it was a long time ago. Other thing, too, is a really bad transition defense. But I feel like I'm being kind of nitpicky. You're high on the Clippers. Tell us for you? Tell us why I should say?
Speaker 3: Okay, So, Kawhi Leonard this season has missed I believe five games so far coming down the stretch. Last season, I believe he missed. I think it was like six games in their last fifty games, maybe eight games in their last fifty games. Somewhere along those lines. Again, the problem is that he did not stay healthy for the playoffs. I think any conversation you said, you want to ignore the health. I'm sorry, but any conversation with the Clippers revolves around the health on some level. In the four years that they have had Paul George and Kawhi Leonard, they are a plus twelve per one hundred possessions. When Paul George and Kawhi Leonard share the court. That is NBA title worthy. That is elite of the elite of the elite. These guys, when they take the court together, the Clippers win games. They are fantastic. To me, I've loved everything that they've seen. You bring up James Harden. The key is that when he was the point guard and the number two option on the Philadelphia seventy six ers last season, their primary action was they were going to try and run a one to five ball screen with Joel, and Joel was going to pop into the mid range. Maybe sometimes it'd been empty. Maybe sometimes James would be trying to get to his pull up jumper. You know, there'd be different machinations of it. James does not have to be the primary guy this year. James can be a combo breaker for them if for whatever reason they are able to an opposing team is able to shut down Paul George and Kawhi Leonard. You can't really shut down Kawhi Leonard at this point in my opinion, but like if a team is able to make his life more difficult, well not enough teams have three legitimate point of attack defenders with size and with quickness to be able to cause problems for all of these guys, which means you can just go into like one to five ball screen with James Harden and if Vitza Zoo Bots and then have Kawhi Leonard, Paul George and somebody like Norman Powell who's been elite of the elite of the elite in spot up situations this season surrounding him, and you can play five out and that's going to be able to create all sorts of problems that way, And that's like your second or third option, right. They have so many different ways to be able to attack a defense. That's why they have a top three offense in the NBA and why it wouldn't surprise me if by the end of the year. They actually have the best offense in the NBA. As long as these guys stay healthy, I think they are the most dangerous offensive team. On top of it, I think Kawhi has been better than what we've seen in the last couple of years defensively this season, Paul George remains an elite defender who can handle point of attack situations, getting over the top of screens using his length disrupt actions that way you mentioned. Terrence Man can obviously do that. They use him a lot more than they use Paul George in that scenario. But I think Paul, if you get him going in the playoffs, he's going to be able to do that. The only issue, like you said, is the size one. I am with you. I have worries about the fact that Zubots is really their size based counter, and like I actually don't know what their counter is to Zubots right now. That is my number one worry. What do they do if they have to go small? I actually don't really know what like a small lineup looks like for them, given that PJ. Tucker has been like m Ia here for the recent while.
Speaker 2: Do you think they intend to do? I think that was why they didn't buy him out, and why they're trying to get him to kind of refocus and come back. Do you think it's centers around them wanting to have him as an ace in the hole if they need to use him.
Speaker 3: I think no. I think it's more that they could have his contract as an expiring ten million dollars that makes sense for the off season, but like he still has next year. That was a huge win for Darryl Morey to get off of that deal within the James harden Uh trade. But look, I mean it probably plays like a small role in it, like as a potential option, But I think much more it's you know, to have him as a ten million dollar expiring for the offseason when they don't have like a crazy number of contracts that they can do, like, honestly, is their best small lineup something crazy like James harden Kawhi, Paul George, like Powell Man, or even like like is it like Russ given his ability to go up tempo and like try and beat opposing teams down the court, Like do you involve him in your best small lineup? They don't have like a great answer.
Speaker 1: I'd go I'd probably go powell Man.
Speaker 2: But I have noticed the same thing where like when these Clippers go small, it doesn't look the same as it did a few years ago when it was like a Marcus Morris out there, or it was a you know, a Nick Batoomb, or it was just like another six to eight guy that just kind of added So at least they were like longer, if that makes sense. But at the same time, like Zubach is, like Zubach is on the short list of guys that like you'd love to have for a matchup with Yokic like as well, like so so like, yeah, I love this Clippers team. I love their character too. They just they have they they just give me championship vibes. And that's why I put them in that That's why I titled that tier like hitting championship benchmarks, because like, I think there are a lot of teams, especially in the modern NBA uh that like I don't want to say cut corners, but that that view the regular season is almost unnecessary.
Speaker 1: And I feel like the NBA does a good job of shooting spitting those teams.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, And the Clippers were a primary example of this for three years. Like that's exactly right. They they have not cut corners this year.
Speaker 2: It's really important, exactly And I just, I just I love that the NBA tends to chew up and spit out teams that don't take the regular season seriously. It's one of my favorite It's one of my favorite things about the league. Like don't don't cheat the game and the and the game won't cheat you back the other team. I only have one other team on this tier, and that is the Minnesota Timberwolves. I absolutely love the combination of like truly physically imposing perimeter defense and or improtection. Specifically, I love their I love the matchup versatility that an Ant and a Jaden McDaniels gives you, in the sense that like Jaden McDaniels brings this like lank that is like oppressive, but then Ant brings this like fire hydrant you could never get past me strength and like hands, the physicality at the permitterve. I love that they can like kind of play with those matchups a little bit because like certain offensive players like are really good at shooting over the top and the fire hydrant guys don't really bother them. And then like there are certain offensive players that like are bothered by length more and so like you can kind of like play with that a little bit. My main red flag with the Timberwolves is I really have hated their crunch time offense as of late. Yes, And you know it's funny because like you talk to Timberwolves fans and like, we're a top ten half corn or we're a good half court offense. Like Mike Conley, you know, organizes us and we've you know, Anthony Edwards is sending me superstardom, and I buy into all that. Like I'm a huge Anthony Edwards guy. I love Mike Conley, but like, to me, because Mike Conley's not overly aggressive at the end of games, Like generally speaking, it comes down to decision making from Ant who's very very young, and Carl Towns, who's iffy decision maker, and I think that that ends up being the issue. Now they've they dropped a game in crunch time against the Bulls the other night or about a week and a half ago, where it looked exactly like all the things I'm telling you about, and then they won four straight where they kicked everyone's ass and there wasn't even any crunch time games, And I remember teams used to be concerned about like the Lakers in twenty twenty and their half court offense and their ability to execute, and then guess what, their defense was so damn good they just it didn't matter and they were able to win. And so I still think the Timberwolves are very much in that tier of teams that I think have a real chance to win at all. But like like we mentioned earlier, if I saw them lose, that's what it would look like. I think it would come down to half court execution. Where are you at with the Minnesota Timberwolves.
Speaker 3: Have the same exact concern you do, And it's not just like like if the Bulls game was a one off, I would feel better, But they have recently dropped crunch time games to the Spurs, the Hornets, I think the magic if I remember correctly as well, like teams that aren't exactly like bastions of late game off defensive execution, right, so it almost always it looks the same. It looks exactly like what you're saying I really worry about. Okay, let's say that they play the Clippers, or they play the Nuggets or somebody like that. Right, I still don't totally know what that's going to look like from a half court defensive perspective when teams look to specifically attack Rudy Gobert and Carl Towns in mismatched situations. In those scenarios, now having both of them is really valuable. But like the Clippers, for instance, who does Carl Towns guard on the Clippers in a fully healthy series?
Speaker 2: For those guys, I think you put him on Kawhi, right and basically try to have him handle the bullyball stuff and like, like a Kawhi is not an overly like quickness based player.
Speaker 1: What do you think?
Speaker 2: But that's I think Kawhi with Kok his ass. But I think I think that's what you talk yourself into, right.
Speaker 3: So I think that's my answer. But what I think the Clippers would do even more than anything else, I think they would run Kawhi off of a of off ball action by the way.
Speaker 1: We saw the Pelicans by putting Zion on Kawhi by the way.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, just like literally make Cat chase the whole game. And that's going to have diminishing returns on Cat's offensive game as well, because he has to chase and Chase and Chase. So I am to a lesser extent than like the Calves, for instance, worried about what schematically the two big foundation looks like in the playoffs, even though it has been tremendously successful defensively this season. I look, I think Rudy is Rudy's reputation defensively in the playoffs is probably a little bit overblown in terms of his effectiveness. But again, like that Clippers team like really did show kind of the benchmark for how to cause problems for him when he was playing in Utah playing five out. If you can play five out, it causes some problems. Now the Clippers don't have the wherewithal to play five out, as we just discussed, which is valuable. But like, I have the Timberwolves a little bit lower, and you're gonna like laugh at the team that I have ahead of the Timberwolves in the West. It's it's not the thunder. We'll make them once we get to them.
Speaker 1: Phoenix. No, you're not gonna say the Lakers, are you?
Speaker 3: But I'm not gonna say the Lakers. Look, I have Phoenix, like relatively in this tier, I have the MAVs. Man, I have the MAVs really high. Jason.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, so let's let's do this.
Speaker 2: I for the record, I agree with you with Minnesota, like they there there's specific configurations I worry about with them because you know what's interesting too, you know, it also has been really shitty their crunch time defense, like they Yeah.
Speaker 3: Look, and I want to be clear here for everybody, Like I feel like I'm playing the role of like nitpick on this podcast, which is fine, Like, and that's the role that like I kind of want to play a little bit. I have the I have the Timberwolves in this tier. I have them like a couple slots lower than you, but like I have the timber Wolves in this year. They've had a fantastic season and I'm all for what they've been able to accomplish this season. And I think Anthony Edwards is like a total stud that is probably like a year away, but if it came a year early, I wouldn't be surprised. The key is the decision making, like you said, but sorry, I wanted to get that out there.
Speaker 2: So my tiers, the way I have it set up, I have the like I said, the Bona FID Championship contenders, and then I have the teams that are hitting benchmarks but have question marks, obviously the Clippers and the Timberwolves. After that, every other team for me, is missing the traditional championship benchmarks that like legitimately like the team like that, they're not hitting those like like, and we can get in it. We'll get into the individual teams. But I don't have any other teams on that tier. But it sounds like you have multiple. So before we go any further, what teams do you have that are in what you consider to be like that real championship winning a capability tier.
Speaker 3: So, like I said, at the top, realistically, I think there's a ninety percent chance that the title comes from one of Denver, the Clippers, or the Celtics. So I think those are really the three teams.
Speaker 2: Okay, So that's the end that we're top tier reruly, that's my okay, So I really I'm.
Speaker 1: Including Minnesota and you're not.
Speaker 3: Basically gotcha, yeah, exactly, Like I have a bigger second tier. Well maybe not, I don't know, but I have a I'll be interested to hear the way you break out the rest of your tiers. My clear thing is, like I think the Nuggets, Clippers, and Celtics are a level ahead in terms of playoff basketball, especially if the Clippers are helping.
Speaker 2: So I agree with you, I just am including Minnesota in there to me. To me, the case for Minnesota is they're just like one of the most physically overwhelming teams in the league and that tends to be a weapon when you get to the postseason. And like you can't write off to like the just like the what if aunt is just awesome, you know that that's always a really and he shot the pull up jump shot incredibly well in the postseason so far in his career. So and that to me, like, you know, people always make fun of Tatum for relying on a ton of pull up jump shots, and it's kind of in that camp to where like a considering his physical gifts, there's a huge portion of his shot diet that is kind of difficult, which always has been. But yeah, like you can't write out the possibility of him making making them. So my next tier is teams that are missing traditional championship benchmarks, but you can see a legitimate pathway to the title for them. And the first team I have on this tier at number five is the Milwaukee Bucks. And it's really this simple. They they they cannot score the they cannot score the basketball since Doc Rivers has taken over.
Speaker 1: It's the craziest thing. Dame Lillard is shot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was gonna say, is there is there missing traditional championship benchmarks like having Doc Rivers as their basketball coach.
Speaker 2: So the traditional benchmarks here are like one, there's just like a weird funk kind of hanging over the team that's never like how many teams win the title when it looks like they're not even sure they're having fun playing together for large chunks of the season. You know, their defense is not good enough, but they're not transcendently great offensively to make up for it. Like that was always the case when you're watching Denver last year. It was like there's like, oh, their defense is kind of mediocre, but like, hey man, this is like a potentially an all time great offense, you know what I mean. And so that's kind of the way I look at like them missing the benchmark is like they don't have good defensive personnel. They're not a good defensive team, and they're not like they don't have an elite unit that you look at as like the driving force behind their championship.
Speaker 1: Kind of odds.
Speaker 2: But to put it simply, most of this team construct is based on Dame being a superstar offensive player and he just hasn't been. And so that's where you like see the legitimate pathway is like what if Dame and Giannis and then all just kind of figure it out on offense and then they're able to get enough stops through a funneling scheme that just tries to send everybody towards their size. So, for you, Ony further, where do you have the bucks in this tier? Do you have them at the top of your tier? Do you have them lower or are the bucks for you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'd Denver or i'd Milwaukee at four? Okay, I had Milwaukee at four. I think that they are the team that I probably trust most outside of that well trust is the wrong word. They're the team who's talent level I believe in most outside of that top group of teams that we talked about. If you look at it since January fifteenth, they're twelfth in defense. Like the defense, you know, I know it's not been great vibes wise since Doc got there, but like the defense has gotten better from the catastrophic levels it was at early in the season. Particularly offensively, I really think that there is a shot they just figure this thing out. Like truly, at the end of the day, they have a top five offense in the league. The Yiannis Damian Lillard combination is more offensive star power than I don't know how many teams can match that at the end of the day, it is precious few. I would say Denver can match it. I would say the Clippers can match it. I don't know. Like I think that they probably enter the series against Boston with a better top two than what Boston has. Absolutely I trust Yeah, It's just that I trust Boston's rest of the core pieces much much more than I trust Milwaukee's, And honestly, like I think that Pat Beverly solves some things for them in terms of like constructing playoff lineups that could be beneficial. I'm not going to sit here and say Patrick Beverly is like a thirty minute per game guy in the playoffs at this point in his career. I don't believe that necessarily at thirty five years old, but I think that having him around really does present more opportunity for them to create coherent lineups that can defend at the point of attack, which is what they desperately, desperately need. You can't go into a playoff series having Malik Beasley as your primary defensive option. Like, it's just not gonna work. It just is not the reality of playoff basketball. At the end of the day. You know, Chris Middleton's kind of dealing with like a little ankle injury heading into the deadline or heading into All Star break, and hopefully he's able to get back to one hundred percent. I think he's been better since his start to the season at least, you know, it's been a little bit hit or miss. But they're gonna enter the series. They're gonna enter any series in the East with the best one two punch, and that gives them a better punchers chance than I think anybody else has, even if they're at a real coaching disadvantage in the playoffs, which I think, unfortunately for Doc, has been proven time and time again ever since he won that title in Boston.
Speaker 2: I to your point about the talent, like I made a little list earlier as part of my Lakers. You know, whatever shred of optimism there is around the Lakers. To me, there are four teams in the NBA that you can stay, that you can stay definitively have two of the fifteen best playoff players in the league Denver, Milwaukee, the Lakers, and the Suns. Like those are the four teams where it's like if you're just taking playoff players. To me, and the one that's oh, the Clippers, the Clippers, I don't think Paul George necessarily the top fifteen player, do you?
Speaker 3: I would take Paul over Jamal Murray, even though I love Jamal and I think that the combination of Yo Kitchen Jamal elevates itself. And I have, like, I have an immense and mense of ments amount of respect for Jamal Murray. I don't mean to like I would have Jamal Murray in the top twenty, but I would take Paul j over so.
Speaker 2: In a vacuum, I agree with you. I think Paul George is a better basketball player than Jamal Murray. But I have this thing on this show, this this ethos, which is your impact is aboutasketball player really only matters within your own situation, meaning like everything else is theoretical. So for instance, like as the two man game, specifically next to Jokich as a shot maker. Like, think about how specifically important what Jamal Murray does for the Nuggets. So like that that to me, Like to me, Jamal Murray was like a top five winning impact player in the postseason last year because of what he did in his role. This dude was like a thirty I can't remember the exact numbers, but he was like he was making shots at a bona fide superstar. Like what he did last year in the postseason is every bit as impactful as what Kyrie Irving did for the Cavs in twenty sixteen. Sands the gigantic performance in Game five in Game seven, like like the like in terms of like value in a role. Like no one actually thought Kyrie was a top five player in twenty sixteen or two I fifteen, but his fit next to Lebron with the Calves in the playoff setting brought a winning impact that was of similar ilk to some of the stars of the league. So that would be the case. But I'll allow it in the sense that we'll say the Clippers too. So that's five teams.
Speaker 3: I think you've sold me. Honestly, I think I think you've sold me on the Murray idea. I do tend to think of that argument more in a vacuum. But you're wrong or you're right that I'm wrong, and it's not in a vacuum at the end of the well, so I think you're right.
Speaker 2: I just had a male bad question about this earlier today, which is why I brought it up. Like I can't even remember what the male bad question was, but like I ended up saying, like to me, like, your value as a basketball player is what you bring to your team, Like that's what That's not theoretical, that's real. But anyway, to your point, though, Milwaukee is one of five teams, let's just do let's make it a little bit more broad. It's it's one of five teams in the league that can stay definitively they have two of the best twenty t playoff players in the league. The Clippers, the Nuggets, the Bucks, the Lakers, and the Suns, And so to me, that's the Bucks. Thing that they bring to the table is like what if Damon Giannis figured out now on the Bucks front, this is like what I'm noticing on tape is like I think we all pled forever for Giannis to be more of a screen and roll guy, and like he just never really did it until Dame came to town at the volume that he's doing it now. And you know, as much as Giannis is a great I shouldn't say great, As much as Giannis has become a good passer in terms of, like in his ISOs and post ups at like drawing attention and making these plays, I actually think he hasn't been that great as a screen and roll guy this year in terms of like his decision making and his ability to interpret the defense. I think he's I don't think he's doing a good enough job screening. I don't think that as a team they're actually organizing the floor well enough to get him into a situation where he can make easier reads. In a weird way, the Dame yanis pick and roll not being as productive as you would hope. I think it's been on both of them. I think it's been on Dame not doing a good enough job just being the offensive threat you need to get the panic coverages that you need to kind of generate the really easy role opportunities. But I think Giannis has left a lot to be desired in terms of like Giannest to me, is the MVP of the league right now. I think he's been the best regular season this year, regular season player this year. I'm not trying to pick on Yannis. I think it's just he's in as much of a new role here as Dame is. And for Dame, it's just the geometry of the offense is very different compared to what he had in Portland. But like to me, Yannis hasn't really that whole synergy just hasn't really taken shape yet. To your point, what if it does, because like if it does, that's where it could like really really take off. I personally, I like their configurations better. When they clear the side or empty corner for their ball screens, I feel like it just gets Yannis better, like easier opportunities to quickly read. I think that's the difference. Like in his ISOs impost he's really focused on the floor, whereas in the ball screens he kind of has to like go from setting a screen to like quickly interpreting the floor and what's happening right in front of him. And I think it's just a little bit more of a of a hesitation there, which has caused some issues. But I'm wondering what you've noticed watching the Bucks this year that you think is holding them back offensively.
Speaker 3: Well, and I think that you know to your point, the empty side actions, I mean empty side actions it feels like have taken I don't want to say taking the league by storm. Obviously teams have used empty side actions for years, but I would be fascinated to see numbers to see if it feels like teams are using empty side actions far more. And the idea behind empty side actions is that you have to pre rotate. Basically, you have to bring over the tagger for somebody like Giannis, for somebody like Joel Embiid. The maxi Embiid one has you know, stood out in my mind all year. They use it a ton in Philadelphia. To be able to get Joell into open space, you have to pre rotate. And because you have to pre rotate and you essentially have to play three on two defensively, it I think creates an easier avenue to be able to read the court. Four players like Joel Embiid, Johannison Tetakumpo that can be a little bit turnover prone right like not can struggle a little bit with passing and playmaking. At the end of the day, I think that you're one hundred percent right in terms of why their struggles have been. Yannis and Dame together still do not have that synergy in ball screens. I think that it's Janie's screening to an extent, and I think it's Jiannis's ability to read the floor as well. It's just not a situation that he's been comfortable with throughout the course of his career to this point because he hasn't had that elite gravitational force as a pull up player previously. He's still adjusting to this new reality that he currently lives in. It took Joel Embiid in James Harden like probably half a year to be able to figure that out. To get I'm not surprised that it's taken Joannis and Damian Lillard like hopefully half of a year to figure it out. They need to spend like these last twenty eight games that they have, twenty seven games whatever they have left figuring that out. That is their critical critical thing. I don't think they win the title unless they have that elite attack figured out. Because for as much as I think Chris Middleton has been a little bit better over the course of the second half of the first half of the season. It's Chris has not been good enough as a second side option to where you can consistently truly.
Speaker 1: Rely on him.
Speaker 3: Yet brook Lopez has been everything that he normally is. I think he's been tasked with different defensive assignments that have made him a bit less functional under Adrian Griffin. But for instance, them playing a bit more aggressive in ball screens, especially early in the season, was bunkers to me, given that you have Brook Lopez on your team. But I think Doc will play to their strengths a little bit better. At least they're gonna have to get something out of the Malik Beasley. Jay Crowder has been like somewhat serviceable this year. I kind of thought there was a chance he was cooked, but he hasn't been totally cooked in the way that like Pat Connaton, for instance, has been. They need Pat Connaton to be able to give them something something in my opinion, and then they need to figure out if they can rely on Andre Jackson and Marjon Beauchamp in some way. My guess is that it has to be Andre Jackson to be able to provide like real point of attack defense beyond Patrick Beverley. They need two of those guys. I think one of them can be Pat Bev. It needs to probably be Andre Jackson to be able to give them like ten to fifteen minutes a game in the playoffs that they can at least use to tire out opposing ball handlers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Patrick Beverly acquisition I actually liked. I think the way you mentioned it is perfect. Like he can't be a thirty minute per game guy, not even just because of like his own you know, gas tank, so to speak, but also I think you kind of have to keep Malik Beasley in the starting lineup for his confidence. Like I almost think you have to like start Malik Beasley because he has been shooting the shit out of basketball. You kind of have to start him and kind of like feed into his confidence and then basically lean into Pat, you know, for specific stretches of the game, and maybe even play him more minutes like almost like a like a twenty five minute per game type of guy.
Speaker 3: But in general, I Jason, what is their closing lineup?
Speaker 1: That's what I'm trying. I'm closing with Pat.
Speaker 2: I think I think Pat is good against guards. I just think he gets into trouble when you put him against bigger players. I think he has a reputation as being a guy who can guard bigger players, but I don't think it actually matches up with reality.
Speaker 3: Okay, question two, what are you closing against Boston with? Because they're gonna like just absolutely spam like pick and pops or trailer threes with Christops. I would guess, so. I actually don't know if you can totally trust Brooke to close those situations.
Speaker 1: I I you know, it's funny.
Speaker 2: Before the season, I had the Bucks above the Celtics on my contenders list, and then like it just it flipped after like fifteen games, and I've never looked back. I think that I think the Celtics would beat the Bucks pretty handily if they played them.
Speaker 1: I do too.
Speaker 3: I I don't know what their option is. I guess that's my thing. That's what worries me. I don't like. It's probably Dame Jannis Middleton, honestly, is it Crowder Pat Bev?
Speaker 1: And then you just what do some more switching?
Speaker 3: You try and switch like everything, but then you have Dame who has not been very good defensively so far this season. Structurally, their lineups are hard, like do you do you try and switch with Brook? Maybe like that that feels like a bad idea, To be clear, I'm not, I'm not. I think think it's choosing between bad ideas in terms of what they're like. Closing lineups against Boston could look like, Yeah, they're in a really intriguing, difficult spot.
Speaker 1: I would switch against Boston.
Speaker 2: My thing with Boston I think if you switch and you dig down into driving lanes, I think you can get them to settles. That's if I was coaching against Boston, I would lean into whatever I could do to make them lean into their worst tendencies and like they are, and they their ISO and post up guys tend to settle for tough shots, so that that would be I think I'd probably leave Brooke out there and I would switch and just offer a lot of help and test their decision making.
Speaker 3: I think I agree with you, and look like they kicked the shit out of Boston last time they played them like they absolutely.
Speaker 1: The second of back to back, and that was because that was like a.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent and that was a game where like both teams were relatively healthy. I think they might have sat out Horford for that game if I remember correctly. But like both teams like relatively healthy, I'm I think Boston has real schematic advantages against them, which were no I agree the volume