Speaker 1: Is this a great game or what our Cooperstown addition? And today we bring you the greatest catcher of all time. Johnny Bench is our interview for today.
Speaker 2: Dad.
Speaker 1: He is hysterical, he is amazing. He's the MC for all of the Hall of Famers in Cooperstown and we were there for the whole weekend.
Speaker 3: What a great time we had with Johnny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, we had a great time period. You cannot have a bad time in Cooperstown.
Speaker 4: It is a.
Speaker 2: Ludicrously charming town in upstate New York. Everybody there is so happy. There is a shared love for the game, and that's what this podcast is all about, Jeff. It's also a very emotional place. I've seen people weeping in that town because of the joy of what baseball and Cooperstown brings. And on Saturday night, the night before the induction, I went to a Tigers party and Jim Leland, whose number was retired by the Tigers, he got up and spoke at the party before the induction and he just broke down. Because that's what Cooperstown will do to you. That's how important and powerful and beautiful that place is. And Jeff, I believe that's where you got your start as a radio guy and you were only ten years old.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll never forget it.
Speaker 1: There was a line of media and w fu V out of Fordham in New York City. Bob Aarons was the program director there and Dad was doing radio row and he moves on to the next radio station.
Speaker 3: And there's me following behind as I always did.
Speaker 1: And Bob Aaron sees me and says, well, do you want to come on and talk about being a kid at Cooperstown? And I did an interview with two student radio broadcasters. And when I left that interview and Dad and I finally got to meet again because he's still doing radio row, and I'm sure you were on a radio show next.
Speaker 3: To us, being like, what's going on over there with my son.
Speaker 1: But when we finally were able to recap, I remember it vividly, saying to you, that's what I want to do, not be interviewed, but I wanted to be one of those radio broadcasters that was interviewing me. And we actually I feel like I'm on the tonight show.
Speaker 3: We have a clip clip.
Speaker 1: Here's a little bit of my interview I did with WFUV at Cooperstown years ago.
Speaker 2: Just a little while ago. You heard Sam Kirkshan, who has a new book out, and we actually grabbed his son from Jeff. How are you doing, buddy, I'm doing great. Everything's going well. Yep.
Speaker 5: The Hall of Fame is such a great place for baseball and it's just so much fun, so many baseball fans, so many great people.
Speaker 3: You sound like your dad or right now.
Speaker 1: Your dad said you want to do what he does one day, and you're getting your shot today.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's great. I mean I always I like writing, and I love baseball, and you know I like to talk. Well, I guess I guess I can get somewhere.
Speaker 2: Well, you sound like you're a booming Borough cast.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that was kind of the start. That's when I knew. That's when the light bulb went off for me. Dad. And I can't thank you enough for Bob.
Speaker 1: Aaron's enough for bringing me on, but for you for teaching me all I know and love about broadcasting and storytelling, because I wouldn't have the career as a radio host now in the Philadelphia area without that moment.
Speaker 3: I firmly believe.
Speaker 2: That, right, Jeff, that sounded like a clip from you last week. Your voice hasn't changed that much. Really give me a little more credit. There was a tiny bit of puberty that hit me.
Speaker 3: So Dad. What are your takeaways from our weekend in Cooper, Sam.
Speaker 2: Well, Jeff, they're always the same. It's the speeches and the people who were honored and inducted. Jerry Freeley won the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Baseball Writers Association of America. I've told you if I could put any beat writer in charge of my baseball beat in all the years that I covered, it would have been Jerry because I know we're not gonna get beaten on a story as long as he's there. And Joe Castiglione, who has done the Red Sox games for forty two years, won the Frick Award Most Deserved. He did it. He's done the Red Sox for forty two years. Jeff, and I've told you before, with play by play guys, it's like they're a member of the family. They come into your living room every night, and Joe is your dad, he's your grandfather. He's your cuddly little uncle who teaches you about baseball. Those guys were absolutely great at their job and honored by the Hall of Fame. That was so cool. And then, of course there are the players. So Todd Helton went in first. He made a great speech. As we know, Todd Helton is the greatest player in the history of the Rockies. I told you once, Jeff, that one of his former managers, Buddy Bell, told me that Todd Helton understands the competition of the game better than anyone he ever managed or played with, and that pretty much covers everything. Adrian Beltray went in second. I will never forget the face of joy that he showed every single day that he played in the major leagues. And the story that he told during his speech was that they put him at second base as a ten year old because they said, you're gonna be too short to play anywhere else. Well, he got a whole lot bigger, unlike you and me. But at age that same year they switched him to third base. One kid said, I want to play second. You switched to third. He's been playing third ever since. He got more hits than any third baseman in the history of the game over three thousand and As we talked about before, Jeff, he's one of the five greatest defensive third basemen. I've ever seen. And he did it while never wearing a protective cup, which I told you. I said, Adrian, how could you do that? Why didn't you wear a cup? He put his hands up and said, that's what these are for. So I told that story to Ian Kinseler, who played second base next to him or near him with the Rangers all those years, and I told him that story and he goes, no, he didn't wear a cup because he's crazy. And he meant that. He meant that in the nicest way.
Speaker 1: And did you see the moment on stage when David Ortiz snuck up to touch Adriane Beltray's.
Speaker 2: Head If you don't know, Adrian Beltray hated it if anybody touched his head under any circumstances. Teammate, human beings, anybody, right. So David Ortiz, also from the Dominican, right before Adrian Beltra is to deliver the biggest speech of his entire life, he jumps out of his seat in the Hall of Fame group behind and goes and rubs Adrian Beltray's head. It was just priceless, beautiful, And Jim Leland of course went in as one of them as a manager and He's one of the best managers I've ever seen. His connection, his communication with players is virtually unprecedented. And I will tell you, Jeff, this is a tiny bit self serving. This spring he told me, he said, I'm working on my speech. I'm thinking about using this line in my speech. Do you think this would work? So he gives me the line. This is in spring training. We're in Tampa. I said, Jim, not only should you use that line, you should lead with it. And he said that, And he said during his speech that he said to his wife Katie, Katie, in your wildest dreams, can you believe that I'm going to the Hall of Fame? And his wife Katie said, Jim, You're not in my wildest dreams, which got this tremendous applause and laughter. And he did exactly what we told him to do. He kind of led with it. It was absolutely beautiful. Everyone was laughing and on his side, as they always have been.
Speaker 3: That is incredible.
Speaker 1: I've only been married less than two years and I already feel that from my own wife is amazing.
Speaker 2: Join the club, bub We got it.
Speaker 1: You got forty years with your mom, with your wife, my mom's and it's all the same, all.
Speaker 2: Right, So Joe Mauer went last. And Joe Mauer, Jeff is the salt of the earth kind of guy, a Saint Paul, Minnesota guy who grew up there, and he played his entire career with the Twins. He's one of the greatest hitting catchers of all time. He changed the game with the offense that he brought from brought behind the plate, and that's why he was a first ballot Hall of Famer also. But Jeff, it was his connection to Saint Paul. It was his connection to Twins fans that was so obvious to me. Boy did those Twins fans show up, as did fans from everywhere else. But never forget, Jeff that the Twins when Joe Mauer played there, every year they had a bowling tournament at the bowling Alley behind the KFC in Fort Myers, not exactly the greatest part of town, let's put it that way, and people would pay money regular fans to go bowl with the Twins players. Joe Mauer used to bring his own bowling ball to the tournament. He would bring it on the airplane to take it to spring training. That's how much he cared about competing in the team bowling tournament with the fans, and every time a fan would like get a strike, they would get a high five from Joe Mauer. To me, that just speaks to how much he loves his city and the fans who live there.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a perfect time to talk about who I believe to be our game changers multiple of the week this week, it's the fans. It's you, It's the people we met while walking down the street on the Saturday of Hall of Fame induction weekend in Cooperstown, New York. We were at the Hall and if you've never been there, it is the most magical street, not even just an induction weekend. It has a certain childhood like amusement park vibe that just glows. And Dad, you and I walked all the way down from the National Baseball Hall of Fame all the way to the bottom of the street where our friends at Baseball as a Mark, and the amount of people we met that are huge baseball fans wanted to talk to you, And the coolest thing I have to say about watching you interact with all of these amazing baseball fans status it's not Hey, Tim, I love your stuff, and you're like, hey, thank you. You always ask them because you want to hear from the fans. Hey, you're wearing this twins Jersey, tell me are you from there originally?
Speaker 3: Did you ever see Kirby Bucket? Did you ever see Joe Mauer?
Speaker 1: Tell us those stories of what you heard from the fans in Cooper se.
Speaker 2: Well, Jeff, that's the most interesting. That's where great stories come from, when you actually speak to another human being and say, tell me about you. So I saw an elderly guy there. I said, is this your first time here? He goes No. I came the year that my hero Brooks Robinson was inducted.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: And I have come back every year and I will come back every year until the day I die. That's how intoxicating Coopersown is. Once you've been there, you have to keep going back. It is that seductive. Of course, I introduce you to my friend Chris. Chris I met two years ago. Chris is the guy who's a young guys, late twenties, and he went to Coopersown with his father every year for like ten years, and this made me cry. Two years ago his dad died, and when I saw him two years ago the year I was honored, Chris went by himself and it was the first induction he'd ever been to by himself. And that's the kind of stuff that really matters to me. And when I asked him, I said, Chris, where do you stay while you're here? He says, well, I rent this tiny little room. It's just above a funeral parlor in Coopersoun, and it's just the most priceless thing. This is what you do to get there. So this year he didn't stay above the funeral parlor. He stayed in almost as small a place, and he had three buddies with him, and they brought their cots and they slept just so they could sleep in downtown Cooper's Oud on Main Street, so they could wake up in the morning and be in the heart of that little town.
Speaker 1: There was one fan that I had an opportunity to talk to, and I actually witnessed you talking to them as well, and he kind of stopped you as you were walking away from one fan. He says, Hi, excuse, excuse me, And I thought I heard him call you something, but I wasn't sure what it was. And he goes, hey, do you still live in Minnesota? And uh, you know, politely as you do. He said, I know, I've never lived in Minnesota, and he goes, oh, really, well, did you like.
Speaker 3: Playing for the Twins?
Speaker 2: Don't say? I had to tell him he never played major league I said, uh, I'm not a baseball player. I think that's pretty obvious. And he said, well, what are you so? I'm a writer. He thought I was a guy who played for the Twins. And I'm trying to go back and find a Twins player who's roughly my age who played for the Twins. Maybe Steve Lombardozi, but he was the second baseman. But he's about eight inches taller than me. It couldn't be me. That's the first time I've ever gone to Cooperstown and been mistaken for a major league player. I've been mistaken for others, as we know, a guy who works at Applebee's. We know all about that one. But yeah, this arm right, this guy was a little bit confused us. He thought I played for the Twins. I had to explain sadly that I did. But Jeff, you.
Speaker 3: Love the kicker.
Speaker 1: The kicker dad is that he after you explained that you are clearly not the person that he thinks you are, and you are clearly not a former major league baseball player. He still said, my wife wants me to get you to sign this hat. You don't know who this guy is, and you're gonna go back and tell your wife, Hey, I had this guy that you wanted.
Speaker 3: It blew in you. So of course you signed it and walked away.
Speaker 1: And there was there was one really great signature that we have to bring up that you signed. And this was really really cool because he is actually collecting signatures on a Hall of Fame jersey. On the right side is all of the baseball writers that have been enshrined into the Baseball Hall of him and all of the baseball broadcasters that are on You.
Speaker 3: Remember signing that jersey? He had the signature all down each side.
Speaker 2: Yes, And it's the first I told him it's impossible to sign a jersey properly. First, I have the worst signature in the history signatures. But it's really hard to sign something like what somebody's read. It's on somebody's back, right, So you and he stretched it out so much and then I signed it like right under Peter Gammon's my all time baseball writer hero. So that was a thrill for me to be on a jersey in which the whole left side were Hall of Fame Baseball writers.
Speaker 1: Well, let's get dad to the quark gins, because I know I really want to get to Johnny Bench here on the show, and I know people are graciously awaiting. I know my good friend Joe Bell has been texting me ever since the photo went out of me you and Johnny saying when is the Johnny episode dropping? He can't stop texting me about it. So we're gonna get to it in a minute here. But what are your quark gins for this book?
Speaker 2: I've only got a few, because again, Jeff, we only had Friday, Saturday, and Sunday to work with this week because you know, of the All Star break. But I found an interest saying that Corbin Burns started the All Star Game for the American League, and then he started the first game of the second half for his team, and he started it in the same ballpark, in this case, Globe Life Field. So since two thousand, since nineteen sixty nine, I mean, the only pitcher that's ever done that is Tim Linsecam. In two thousand and nine, Rowdy tells of the Pirates against your Phillies had three sacrifice flies in one game only. He's one of only three players to do that since two thousand and His batting line, Jeff, and you know how much I love them, is one zero zero three. It just doesn't look right. Edgar Martinez Hall of Famer two thousand and two is did this in two thousand and two. Is the only other player since two thousand to have a one zero zero three line. So it's one at bat and three sacrifice flies. And last, I'm just gonna test to you again on this, Jeff Jr. Don Alvarez of the Astros hit for the cycle on Sunday. Just give me the four guys that I keep telling you about who never hit for the cycle and are in the Hall of Fame, even though there are a lot more than four.
Speaker 1: Hank Aaron, Right, Baby, Ruth, Yes, Ted Williams, No, oh, not Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Willie Mays.
Speaker 2: And yes, sorry, here's how you remember it, Babe, Ruth, Barry Bonds, Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, that's it all right, Let's move on.
Speaker 1: We've got our Kirchen quandary, and it's perfect because it's about Babe Ruth this week, right, dare right.
Speaker 2: And I spoke at the Babe Ruth Museum this week in Baltimore. If you've never been to the Babe Ruth Museum, it's where Babe Ruth grew up. And it's like two hundred yards from where Camden Yards the ballpark is located. Right now. So the question, our question, our quandary for the day, Jeff is and again these there can be no hate involved in this question. We will not put up with it on a show like this. All right, this is a Valentine for baseball fans. If we took Babe Ruth in his physical prime nineteen twenty, let's say, and we dropped him into today's game, and we gave him, Jeff a full year to figure out how to hit a slider, what bat to use, maybe to do some strength and conditioning, maybe to get himself into even better shape. Okay, and he was six two two fifteen, two twenty. What would Babe Ruth do in today's game? What would he hit? How many home runs would he hit? I'm going to start with you on this and then I'm going to tell you what I think. And I am so in the minority, but you go ahead.
Speaker 1: I don't actually know where you're gonna land with this, So I feel like I might be in the minority in saying I think he's going to be an average baseball player. I think he's going to be a start harder. I don't think he's going to be a bench player. But I don't think he's going to be a Bryce Harper level, a Sho Heo Tani level, because the game was so different.
Speaker 3: Back then than it is now.
Speaker 1: I think that it's so easy to draw comparisons to the NBA because you see the physicality of the NBA. Back in the fifties and sixties, it was a different game. Now it's completely different from then. But it's hard to really understand how much faster balls are going from the pitcher's arm because video is just not the same as it used to be, and the difference between an eighty eight eighty nine mile per hour fastball and one hundred and two from Paul Skins now is an obscene difference. So I say he plays major League baseball, but I do not think that one year is a long enough time for him to turn things around and learn how to hit to the degree and level that he was back in his.
Speaker 2: Prime, right, Jeff, I know exactly where you're coming from on this. I think you're in the vast majority of people who think he could play but wouldn't be great. I disagree. I think he would be great today. I think he would hit over three hundred I think he would hit forty home runs in multiple seasons. I think he would drive in one hundred runs. Remember, he was a great athlete in his day. He stole over one hundred bases in his career. He had one hundred and thirty six triples. He was a great basketball player. He was six two, two twenty in his prime, and he could run. Jeff, he hit tape measure shots, you know, one hundred and fifteen years ago. That's how amazing Babe ruth was in his prime. I think once he figures out how to catch up to ninety eight miles an hour, I think he would have figured it out. Now again, we're going to leave this up to our listeners and to our viewers on this. If you think I'm crazy, go ahead, but just don't tell me that Babe Ruths is some big, fat, unathletic guy, because that simply is wrong.
Speaker 1: You can chime in right now, Great Game or what dot com. You can also follow us on all the socials you can do at Great Game or what on x or Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. Every week a best of All tim And this week, Dad, you're gonna go through the best Hall of Fame team. Now, keep in mind that this arguably is the best players of all time at each position, and that is up to debate when it comes to your team. So if you want to let us know what your best of all tim All Hall of Fame team would be, you can do so, Great Game or what dot Com?
Speaker 3: Dad, what do you got?
Speaker 2: Well? Again, this is my list. It's not the correct list. It's not the only list. It's my list. Your list should be different than mine. That's the beauty of this exercise. My first baseman is lou gerrig He's the best of all time at that position. Rogers Hornsby said second at four hundred four a five year period. Jet Hannas Wagner is the shortstop, the first superstar player, everyday player of the twentieth century. Third base is Mike Schmidt. Ten homer run titles. I'm sorry, Mike Schmidt, ten gold gloves, eight home run titles. Ted Williams is my left fielder, second greatest hitter ever for me. Willie Mays is the centerfielder, second greatest player ever for me. Babe Ruth is the right fielder, greatest player ever for me. Walter Johnson, and I'm wearing my Walter Johnson sweatshirt here one of three. Hey, did I ever tell you I went to Walter Johnson?
Speaker 3: Do you goot high school?
Speaker 4: There?
Speaker 2: Lefty Grove is my left handed pitcher. Start the arguments anytime you like. And Mariano River is my relief pitcher. And catching all my pictures is of course Johnny Bench, who I still believe is the greatest catcher of all time. But now that Josh Gibson's numbers have been thrown in, we're gonna have to reevaluate year. But Johnny Bench is my greatest catcher of all time, and Jeff He's coming up next. Welcome back to is this a great game or what? We are joined by the greatest catcher of all time, Johnny Bench. Thanks for being with us.
Speaker 4: Johnny always a pleasure, my son.
Speaker 2: Jeff, He's got my voice and my height. Unfortunately I passed them both along.
Speaker 4: Sometimes that works out. He ought to be in this jock here at radio man or going into the pipes, and all of a sudden you go under the radio voice and when you start doing yeah, we can fake it if we need to. But Jeff, nice to see you.
Speaker 3: Johnny, thank you so much for joining the show.
Speaker 1: You were the number one choice for guests when we were going to have a chance to do this in the Hall of Fame. And my dad has told this story a number of times.
Speaker 3: When he was asked to.
Speaker 1: Be a member of the Hall of Fame under the Baseball Writers. You gave him a call right after he found out. Do you remember that phone call.
Speaker 4: Of course, I call all the I mean it's not particularly I mean it's not one one of a kind. I mean, obviously I had my Tim and respected him for so long and enjoy more than anybody. You know, the way he treats the game, the way he broadcasts the game and made funds of the game, how it all evolves. But I call all the new inductees to try to welcome them. I think it's important for me to do. I don't do it for the Hall or I don't do it. I just do it for myself.
Speaker 2: Johnny you told me that day. You said, Tim, it's moments like this that take you back to Little League. And I was just about ready to cry again, and you said, and let's face it, Tim, you can still fit into a Little League uniform. Do you think that was really necessary to tell me that?
Speaker 4: Well, it was a Kurtchean thing. You know, there are Kurchian things in our lives that everybody still. I know, I get such a kick out of you when you when the people emulate you, and I never could. I don't have that kind of voice. But well, it's good that you but you're you know, you're self deprecating and so many ways you accepted you. That's what That's why I'd admire and respect you, and that's why it was easy to call you for the especially for your Hall of Fame in selection and induction.
Speaker 2: Right, Johnny, you came to my speech and I people asked you, why are you going to Tim Kirchin's speech, and you said, well, I need to see him cry? And I came through did not?
Speaker 4: You did? You did? And if you can't, I mean there's no emotional feelings. I mean when you think how many years back, you know, when you first had three and a half years old, and I'm telling people I want to be a major league baseball player, and you know, and they do. And then the first grade, second grade, Missus Rosser, asked what do you want to be in? I said, I want to be a major league baseball player, and all the kids laughed. In the eighth grade, they asked, what do you want to be in? I want to be a major league baseball player, and they laughed because in the eighth grade, I got in school a year early. So I was five foot two, same size hands, same sized feed, same size head. So nobody so the only people scouting me at that time was Barnum and Bailey. I wasn't. I wasn't, so nobody believed it. Then I grew nine inches the next two years and my junior year, they didn't laugh so much.
Speaker 2: Is that right? Yeah, let's just finish up with you. Also came to our party that night. You were the only player that came to our.
Speaker 4: Nobody else likes you too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Johnny, you stayed there for ninety minutes. It was unbelievable, and all my friends met you was like the biggest thrill that they've ever had.
Speaker 4: But before well, the family was there. I mean, you brought a whole family. It was cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you remember at the party the night before, I go to Johnny so I can introduce him to my two brothers, Matt and Annie, and I said, Johnny, we want to get some pictures. Could could you help us with some pictures? So we wanted to take a picture with you instead.
Speaker 3: What did you do?
Speaker 4: I took the family?
Speaker 1: Even better, He's dragging chairs across the venue to set.
Speaker 3: Okay, you sit here, Matt, you're here, Tim, you're here. It was it was beautiful.
Speaker 2: And then finally after ten minutes, I say, Johnny, we need a picture of you with the family. So he hands his camera to this other gentleman and says, can you take pictures of me with the Kirkchen family? And you handed the camera to Paul Ballader, who had more hits than the Willy Bays, which I mean one night that was for us.
Speaker 4: But we're all Hall of famers and that was a fun part of it. Did the pictures turn out?
Speaker 2: Oh? They were great. No, Johnny. I have a digital photograph machine at my home which runs twenty four hours a day, and you're in about ten of the pictures. Like snapping pictures of us. It was absolutely priceless.
Speaker 3: In spirit of this podcast.
Speaker 1: It's just a digital frame, a digital photograph machine.
Speaker 3: Sounds like something from nineteen sixty.
Speaker 4: Leave us alone if you want to be smart, okay, fine, but leave us alone at lone.
Speaker 2: So, Johnny, I'm not sure you remember this. What happened after the big party? Tell us jes So.
Speaker 1: Dad has this great weekend in twenty twenty two, and we had this party after his speech, and you were there, as Dad mentioned, But I don't know if you realized we had a bus coming. But you had gotten in the car to head back towards the Oda Saga and hitched a ride with my cousin, his niece.
Speaker 3: That's right, and you sat do you remember, well, there were.
Speaker 4: You couldn't you couldn't avoid getting in a car with a kirch and everybody was in. Everybody in the family, everybody in the state, everybody in the country were all there.
Speaker 3: And you sat in the back of their mini van.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, that's right, with their.
Speaker 3: Two children under two and children, and you didn't just sit there and squeeze and you were singing.
Speaker 4: We had to do the stuff, we had to keep them happy.
Speaker 2: Johnny, You're the greatest catcher of all time? Why would you.
Speaker 4: Do something like it? Was? I'm a used to was?
Speaker 2: We were so Johnny. I told my niece Anna, I said, do you know who? You who? You drove back to town.
Speaker 4: You got to be fifty years old and even heard of me.
Speaker 2: I said, he's the greatest catcher ever. And she waid, what, I had no idea. So we learned something. So, Johnny, let's pivot to baseball. Your induction was in nineteen eighty nine. You went in with Karl Streemsky, Al Barlck and Red SHANDEANSTI. Okay, I did What was that day like for you?
Speaker 4: Well, the thing I remember with most is that we flew it. They flew us in from Cincinnati on a charter and my mom and dad and we got the limo picked us up. We drove to the front of the hotel and I said, checked in. I said, I'm going to go unpack. I went upstairs. I came out of the room walking down the hall, and here's nas Slaughter. Hey, I just met your dad. I get the elevator. Pee Reese comes off the elevator. Hey, I just met your dad. I get down in the lobby. Ted Williams said, Hey, I just met your dad. My dad's got Roy Campanella around the neck in the wheelchair talking to me. So in my induction speech, I introduced the family except my dad, and I said I would introduce my dad, but I'm sure most of you have met him by now. So my dad had wanted to be a major league catcher, and the war came along. He served two hitches, so when he came out it was too late. He had the family, and so I always say I didn't go in, my dad went in at first.
Speaker 1: That's amazing, and that's what we this father son podcast.
Speaker 3: It's the greatest thing in the world.
Speaker 1: The relationship you've had with your father and that I have with mine is incredible.
Speaker 3: Now being a dad, I appreciate it even more.
Speaker 2: Tell us about your first All Star Game in sixty eight.
Speaker 4: Well, I was chosen as an ultranatet. You know, I think it was Tom Haller and Jerry Grody or Rudney Hundley, and I was chosen as a third catcher. And I'm sitting in his locker in the astronome and I'm just watching, you know, everybody go by. You know, here's Bob Gibson, here's Willy McCovey here, and Willie is sitting straight across from me in the locker room. I mean he right over to that, and he got up and walked over and said, you should have been to start and catch it. I didn't need anything else in my life, right. That meant everything to me. And they almost it was a ninth inning and they're telling Red to put me in. Well, I don't have any other catchers. He said, he's not gonna get a hurt, punny man. So I caught the ninth inning of that ballgame, and I you know, it was a just unbelievable moment for me. But really from that time on, and you know, I was even more proud that he asked for me to present the Lifetime Achievement and Gold Glove Awards to him on New York. So we had a wonderful, wonderful history and I was thankful. But you know, you don't you never you know, I always learned him when I was young, and never expect expect people to be impressed with who you are, what you've done, because if you go through that, don't expect it because it's you know, there are people out there. Fifty thousand people go to a baseball game, twenty five thousand leave happy, twenty five thousand leave upset, and they saw the same thing. I go two for five, I had two home runs, drive than five runs. I go out to the restaurant after the game. Bar guy walks up and says, hey, I saw you strike out and pop up. So if you go out there and believe everybody's supposed to be impressed with who you are, what you've done, you know you're still you. You know, I grew up in a town of six hundred and sixty one people. We had to go look for a ninth player some days just to finish Little league. And so I grew up pulling cotton and chopping peanuts, or chopping peanuts, combining peanuts, bailing. Hey, So I'm just I'm just the same guy, and I'll always be my mom and dad's son.
Speaker 2: So cool. Tell us more about your your dad, Johnny, and tell us please the Bob Gibson story that you told me, because if you don't tell it, I'm gonna tell it.
Speaker 4: Well, my dad, my dad served the two inches in the war. He came back and we started. He started working for his uncle who had a propane business. We delivered propane to the houses and to the farms for irrigations in the tanks and stuff. I did that when I was fifteen. But my dad and I would watch the Game of the week every Saturday with Geene Kirby, Pee Wee Reesing and Dizzy Dean. But we would go down to Helms Grocery. We'd get a half gallon neapolitan ice cream. We'd fill our bowls up and we'd sit there and eat it while we watched the game. Now, Dad, he had actually batted against Satchel Page in little sandlot stuff. After he did and I watched him playing. He could do lots of stuff. But he'd sit there and like all every fan you know, how and hell could he watch it? How can he miss that? Hell? I can hit that guy? Good hit him? Alchemy, Ralph thirty throwing Kirby, Hell I can hit that guy. So it was embedded to me. And so I get called up by the Reds to Saint Louis, up to Cincinnati, and we go to Saint Louis and I called Mom and Dad, I said, I can get you tickets I'll get you a room, come on up to Saint Louis and watch. So I said, okay, So they up they come, and so at first night, I'm going to really impress the hell out of them. But we faced a picture of the name of Bob Gibson that first time. And I don't know if the dr was one one two that year or what, but all of a sudden, I'm up there and I strike out, and I go up the second time and I strike out, and I go up the third time and I strike out. And I'm coming back and I'm walking by the battery on deck circle and just before I get to the dug and our manager was Dave Bristol. Dave was kind of like Sergeant Carter on Gomer Pyle USMC. You didn't think of anything but baseball. There was nothing but baseball. And I start to smile as I get to the on deck circle. And by the time I reached the dugout, I'm grinning and he's down here. It's took three or four steps in, so you had to walk down around. He looked up me and said, what hell, it's so funny. I was just thinking, I don't think Dad can hit this guy. That's what you do.
Speaker 2: How great Bob gives. Yeah, even your dad good to hit it?
Speaker 4: Goodn't all?
Speaker 2: I said, Johnny, you, over the years have become don't be humble about this MC of the Hall of Fame. When a new player comes in, you're always the first one to welcome him. You are the ringleader. Where did that come from? Did you take that mantle on yourself or did someone pass it to you?
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no, I'm just I'm a welcomer. I'm just a guy who greets people and likes people and befriends people. And I think they deserve a call. I don't know if anybody else calls or not. I don't worry about it. They don't ask me to do it. That's just who Johnny is. You know, my mom and daddy and all, we'd be proud of it. But I I like to be personal. I like to be respectful. I like to congratulate people on the awards that they win. And so when I call them, I told them then I give them my advice keep a diary right, and I tell you you know after if it's the induction, when the announcement is made, I tell him start now. But I talked to all three last week and I said, now, this is going to start, so I want you to I want you to keep your diary, and I want your wife to keep a diary because this is going to buy so fast, and you're going to think on Monday or Tuesday, what the heck happened? All three of them say, come up to me, and I say, I'm a diary going.
Speaker 2: Did you keep a diary?
Speaker 4: I didn't. That's why I wanted to learn.
Speaker 2: I learned.
Speaker 4: I learned.
Speaker 1: So one of the highlights for my dad in back in twenty twenty two when we were here was right pretty much above us was the verandah and you pulled him aside, and what advice did you give him on his weekend joining this club.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm not I have another ritual that I do afterwards. But you know, to enjoy the moment, But you're going to spend so much time trying to accommodate everybody else, and you're going to forget the moment of what you achieved. So you have to take a minute and think about who you are and where you are. This isn't all about them anymore. It's about me and so I hope that's what I share.
Speaker 2: Exactly what you did, Johnny, was the highlight of my Hall of Fame weekend. That I sat on that varana with the greatest catcher of all time. You told me to look at that lake for one minute. I did do not say a word, think about where you are, how you got here, and how many people helped get you here. And I'm sorry I teared up because it was the most emotional moment of that weekend for me.
Speaker 4: And I've done it for years, and you know, it seemed odd to some of the guys. Right then I had cal rippinkins, Can I get them? Can I help you get them in their chair? I mean, it's like, you know, you always think somebody's you know, oh it's kind of corny and everything else. But and then I have every almost year after year they said they come to men said thank you for doing that. That meant so much to me and the guys that you called just to say, hey, congratulations, well deserved, you deserve to be here. You're going to have a great week. We'll welcome you in and do all this stuff. And when they get here they say, thank you. That was a great call, and it's not for my own glory. I don't do it, but it's were there because I was. I was the guy. And when Pee Wee Reese put his arm around me after my speech, after I gave my speech induction speech, he put his arm around me and whispered in my ear that was great. You're a Hall of Famer.
Speaker 2: How'd you do on your speech, Johnny? Were you scared to death before you went up there or being you? Were you ready to go?
Speaker 4: I did not. All I had was a few ideas and then you kind of winged it from there. Well, I didn't have any notes. No, no, no, I mean.
Speaker 1: This man walked around the Harris Theater local grocery store memorizing his ten page speech.
Speaker 4: Is Ohidrin Beltray and he's got his folder, you know, right under his arm. And I said, could I see that? And he said, no, you can't see that. I already heard about you because I took a couple of a couple of money here. I took, you know, his notebook, one of our inductees' notebooks.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, wait, you took a notebook, the notes away from a guy was going in the Hall of Fame. And it was he.
Speaker 4: Was going ready to go out for the speech, and oh my god, he's good and we'd laugh when he's walking around the room. And then first thing he says, I heard about you guys. Come up. Now, I heard about you. Stay away. Can't you imagine people who don't like to talk to begin with. I mean, you know how public speaking is for people. It's not doing it. But no, I had it all. I didn't have anything, really, I just got up. I was eighth grade. I was Johnny Bench from the Binger four h club and for my speech, I have chosen birds of the World. I mean it was interesting because I just got a note from a uh from back home. It was he's going to be night Leland's going to be ninety six years old, and he was the four age leader of Kato County and back in those days. And I'll be forever grateful that I learned to stand up and speak, you know, and memorize. I never had a problem memorizing anything. I could each would have a poem. I would do it before class was over.
Speaker 1: It sounds like if you didn't make it to the ball field, you could have made it to the stage. Because I've heard you have a great singing voice.
Speaker 4: You know, I know the words and sometimes and you're a performer. I sang with a symphony with Eric Knsel in the Cincinnati Pops. I played professional golf. I played nine senior Toure events. I bowled professionally. I used to play tennis once a year and gave it up. It just got to be too much work. So I love music, you know, and I wish i'd had. I had a thor ecotomy, which is a lung. I had lung surgery four days after I turned twenty five. I had developed a Cox City o yd micosis, which is called the Valley fever. And so a lot of people, I know, they are not aware of it. But four days after the seventy two playoffs in the World Series, I went in. They cut me from here all the way back to here, and it was a brand new surgery. It was used with taples that they had never done before because usually they open up your back and my doctor Gonzalez was trying to avoid that. And so you know, when you tell people, how what do you think of your career? And I said, well, it wasn't as good as it would have been because the difference the difference in greatness is about five to six inches because that's where you hit the ball. So in my physical ability and I had twenty five vision, I could actually get to the ball out there. So hitting the ball out here as opposed to hitting it there. You know, now things are slower. I mean your reaction in a baseball you have a ninety mile on hour base fastball, you have point four to two seconds from the time it leaves the pitcher's hand till it crosses home plate. Yeah, point one seven seconds reaction time. So the brain the cameras are the eyes the cameras. The brain sees the camera and so it has to identify location, speed, spend and then send them send the signal to the nerves and muscles and they react. And that after they cut the nerves and cut the bone and cut the muscle, then I was I was down to probably a little less and I so I never had the career that I think I could have had.
Speaker 2: Johnny, you don't play golf anymore? Is that correct?
Speaker 4: Warranty ran out I had when I was eighteen, I was driving back from I had broken my thumb in Buffalo, and I went to I went back to Oklahoma City. And when I drove up to Witchdall see my American Legion teammates play. And I drove back to Oklahoma City, stayed with my brother Orlan highway. Pulled out to pass the bus. Here's the drunk driver on the wrong side. I hit the brakes, hit me right in the door. I didn't regain conscious. I gained conscious getting into the ambulance, and then when I got I don't remember anything about it. I think I remember the sort of going into the emergency room, and then the doctor came in afterwards. He said, son, you got the biggest bones I've ever seen in my life. He said, nobody but you would walk out.
Speaker 2: Of here by that build.
Speaker 4: I had the thing and I and he said, but you know, later on you'll have larth ryders, you'll have problems, you'll have all the stuff. And so I've had both hips replaced. These are still perfect shave, but the back, the shoulders and all the stuff and everything else. It's almost like being a catcher every day.
Speaker 1: Well, it's worth noting the fifty percent of the hips on this podcast right now have been replaced.
Speaker 3: Dad has won two over there.
Speaker 1: I still have the originals at age thirty, Thank goodness. And speaking of golf, my dad wanted to play golf at Leatherstocking for Father's Day last year, and we took a picture on is it the the seventh hole right right at your plaque? And Dad sent you the photo.
Speaker 4: He did, right, and it was lying three or four.
Speaker 1: I don't remem he laid up twice to get there at three hundred and forty six yards. As little guys, we're not getting there, maybe even too right.
Speaker 2: Remember what you wrote to me when I sent you the picture. Oh no, here's what you wrote.
Speaker 4: How many foul balls did you take?
Speaker 1: Him?
Speaker 4: Ahead? You? I remember?
Speaker 2: Actually you were kind for once you said you out drove me again, And I wrote, and I hit a three wood, Johnny, you hit a golf ball three hundred and forty six yards in nineteen ninety two. That's impossible. You can't do that, but you did well.
Speaker 4: I drove. I drove a four hundred and three yard part four in Vegas, and then I three put it. I don't really I mean, but it was like there was a plaque there at the Sarah Golf Yeah, at the golf course at Sarah, and I had a plaque air, So Johnny Bench drove this grain.
Speaker 2: Johnny seven here on this diabolically difficult course, isn't uphill?
Speaker 4: I hit it good, right, Johnson? I hit it good.
Speaker 2: John Smolts told me on an airplay once he said, Johnny Bench hit the cart path on that hole. I'm sure of it. Have you heard that before?
Speaker 4: Oh gosh, especially from Smoltzy, You can't. You know, he's gotta be the greatest golf forever, and he's gonna He's got that drive and his spirit and he just nobody can hit it that far.
Speaker 2: Right, Johnny, you talked about how big your hands were even when you were five. Yeah, my dad was like, where did they come from?
Speaker 4: That dad? My dad was only five nine and his was about that much shorter as all. It was, right, And now we've you know, we've got I've got to be known for something, right.
Speaker 2: And we have a picture of you, of course, the famous picture of you holding seven baseballs at one time. Yeah, I was that you just messing around one day and say I could do this.
Speaker 4: You shag in the outfield when they're batting practice, and so you pick up four balls and you just put them. I could pick up four balls and put them in the bucket because they take it up to the batting practice picture and they said, now making to get I saiding to get another one? I said, yeah, I think I could got one. Then all of a sudden it became six, and then it became seven, and then all of a sudden it was like, we're you know you like you do? You know you like today you'd send it out on social media Johnny Ben's you know, grabbing six baseballs or five baseball? There are seven baseballs and all of a sudden it's for some reason people.
Speaker 1: Love that it's a great photo and we're gonna we're gonna pull it up on the YouTube channel so people can see it as well. Joe Mauer is getting inducted this year. Is there ever a special tie for you when when a great catcher goes into the hall.
Speaker 4: Well and catcher is the word. You know that that was a question as to you know Joe Mauer. Yeah, you know when I was in I was playing in the senior event in Buffalo, I mean in Minnesota, in Blaine, Minnesota, I was playing in the three senior championship and the reporter came out and said, have you heard about this? Kid Maer and I said, yeah, it's very, very impressive right now. And he said, well, what do you think is he going to be? They're going he's going to be the next you. And I said, well, let's wait six or seven years and then we'll see. You know, can he maintain it? Can't he do it without getting hurt? Can he? You know, it's just a how's your sustainability? So he wound up, you know, seven years after that he got the hamstring, he had to go to first base, he had to do stuff and everything else. The batting titles nicest kid you'll ever meet. I mean, just a wonderful man, great catcher. But again, you know, you judge someone for their hole, you know, their whole effort in baseball. So the batting title's MVP and everything else carried him through the catching I mean at seven years. I mean, you guys know whatever HOI however, you're going to rate them right?
Speaker 2: And your knees are so okay after all.
Speaker 4: These years, I got big bones, Tim, Can you.
Speaker 2: Get down in a catcher's stance right now?
Speaker 4: Why?
Speaker 2: I'm not what you should do?
Speaker 4: You want to show me? Can you?
Speaker 2: I can? And it hurts and I'm only sixty seven years old, and I never caught a day in my life, and I still have trouble.
Speaker 4: If you touch the stove and it was hot, you didn't do it again, so you don't squat again, you know, No, I don't. I don't have any need to go Yah.
Speaker 2: Right, good, good for you. Do you watch a lot of baseball these days? And do you like what you see?
Speaker 4: I don't have the time to watch a whole game. I'll watch certain games, I'll watch certain deals. I'm a box score man. I've always been a box score man. I can't wait for I got MLB app I go in. I watch every back score. Look, I go through every almost every team every day, every team, Yeah, every day.
Speaker 1: Is there anything like My dad's a nut with box scores, and I've become the same way. He's looking to see if if a score line makes a phone number, or looking for.
Speaker 3: The you know, all of these little quirks. It is weird.
Speaker 1: Is there anything that you like to see in a box score that excites you?
Speaker 4: No? We have the Johnny Bench Catchers Award, which is the college Catcher of the Year. I've included now women as softballs, so now we have the Women's Softball Player of the Year. And we have four states around Red's Country Kentucky, Ohiowa's, Virginia, Indiana, so we honor those kids. So, I mean, we've got like fifteen twelve to fifteen guys that have won the award or have been nominated for the award that are in the major leagues. And so I go in and see how they're doing. And Lattle Rushman, you know, and then you got even Schober was a nominee at the time. Then you had Garrett Stubbs, and then you go to Suzuki and then you go But I love to see how they're doing. I mean I try to follow their careers and what they're up to and all the stuff, like to see who the pictures are winning pictures. I like to go and see the stats, who's got the RBIs, who's doing stuff. I just I just think it's it's really really fun for me. And then I'll check the on the Reds and see and what's the averages, what's all the stuff. So you know, I try to stay involved. I mean, I still have a connection.
Speaker 2: That is so good. I just finished Johnny. When people ask you, like, what is Cooper's Town like, especially on a weekend like this, how do you describe what this is like?
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, it's Norman Rockwell you know, it's it's a town that had a when I first came here and now it's been inundated with a lot of sports show, sports shops, everything else and used to be a lot of mom and pops and stuff and everything else. It's I don't know, it's it's a hallowed ground place that you know, you in your imagination, you think about where would you go, I mean into in the magical and the Magical fairy Tales, you would go to Cooperstown or what would it be like? And you can't imagine driving into the town and then seeing how quaint it is down the street it is the main street, little tiny houses on the way, And then you think about and you start it starts to grow on you. As the fans start to come, and they come with this full of emotion, full of excitement. You know, they've got a player, they've got ten players that they've always followed and known, and they want to see them. They want to catch a glimpse of them. More than anything. They want to share it with their child, their grandson say you should have seen him. This guy was here, this guy was there. I was in that stands when he saw it. I did that. I saw it. I was there. And they love to pass on their little midment for for them, it doesn't have to be one. It's all, you know. It's not like going to see one a game and watch one particular player. You've got everybody here and it's tope.
Speaker 1: It is magical. And I think the fans everybody has a childlike look in their eyes, no matter how old they are, seeing their heroes. It's like you're transported back to being eight years old eating a hot dog at you know, Shay Stadium. For you, my dad's a three time grandfather now and you just recently became a grandfather.
Speaker 3: Congratulations, thank you. How is that for you? Is it the most incredible thing like it is for my dad?
Speaker 4: Well, I'm you know, I never thought my oldest son. I wasn't sure he would get married, and then I wasn't sure he'd ever want children and everything else. So you know, to have that child for the first time and hold it and everything else, and you say, you know, and you know you're not going to be there for his entire life. You know, how do we? You know? And you and you think, Okay, they're gonna be great parents, and they're gonna give them an education, and they'll they'll be strict, probably too strict in some ways. Know, ain't my son? And is it? But that's that's what discipline is, and that's what you need and that's the way you need to learn. So you know, it's the same thing. Let me watch my children grow to see what they become. Lord, don't let that cold wind blow till I'm too old to die. Young and so I got a kid going into college. You got a kid going into sophomore. That's the love I just got married. I mean, my life couldn't be better right now. And the top it off, I get to be on the tim Kirchen, I mean, how can it get any better than this? I'm talking about the cherry on top. We gotta leave right there. Watch my children grow to see what they become. Lord, that cold wind blow till I'm too old to die.
Speaker 3: Wow, I knew I could say, right Johnny Bench, thank you for.
Speaker 4: Joining always for Timmy anything YouTube. Jeff, nice to be with you, and uh gosh, I hope this show goes. I hope you make some money because this is because I didn't get anything from where. I can tell you that I didn't get a shirt a T shirt. It's a hat or shirt. But maybe I'll get you to sign a baseball later on. Nice try.
Speaker 2: We didn't get paid either.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, I mean I love that. I'm gonna believe that one too. Yeah, well you wrote think I wrote in there with the head to let us.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, our chief investor, my dad's wife, my mom, she's we keep saying we need more money for travel.
Speaker 4: Get your get your I'm trying to get in. Get him an agent. I mean, my gosh, he wants to go up to the shop and and help them out, you know, let him pay you for being here. Now you gotta pay for gas to get from Baltimore to Philadelphia. I just really feel bad now. I feel like I want to put something. If you'll leave a tip camp, maybe I'll yeah, I'll put something in it for you. I'm worried about you. I'll talk to Dan next to if I ever see whoever's on this program.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, thank you, welcome, it was, Thank you thank you so much, Thank you to Johnny Bench. We had so much fun for that in person interview. So if you're listening right, make sure you subscribe and follow wherever you're listening, Apple Podcasts, Spotify, all of that stuff. But if you want to see it because we were in person with Johnny Bench, which is so cool, you can go to our YouTube channel Great Game or what Dad. I think there's one thing that I wanted to thank him during that interview that I didn't have the opportunity to. For those who have listened to the podcast, you know that my dad's brother, my uncle Matt, passed away from ALS last year on Labor Day, and before his passing, we were looking to do a charity event to bring awareness to ALS, and I remember talking to my and his first call was to Johnny Bench to do a little bit of a fireside chat with you Dad on a stage, sell tickets, and every.
Speaker 3: Cent was going to go back to the cause.
Speaker 1: He without hesitation said yes after him, I will absolutely do that, And I think it speaks to the amazing relationship that you've had with him, but also to his heart. He has such a big part and unfortunately we weren't able to put that event together in time.
Speaker 3: Before his passing.
Speaker 1: But I just want to say a big thank you from the Kirchen family to Johnny for being so gung ho and game to help out with this cause, and.
Speaker 2: Thank you for bringing that up.
Speaker 4: Jeff.
Speaker 2: I remember calling Johnny about that and I got about ten seconds into the discussion and he interrupted me and he said, I'm in Just tell me when that's who Johnny Bench is.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for listening. Thank you for enjoying our interview with Johnny Bench. We had a great time at Cooper Down, and we can't wait the brand new episode next Tuesday on Is This a Great Game or what?
Speaker 3: Follow?
Speaker 1: Subscribe for free wherever you're listening right now, and as always, thank you for being a part of our family.