Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy nom the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fined nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned, and deported. You will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right. Leave now. Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will.
Speaker 2: Be protected sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security.
Speaker 3: So next is workplace discrimination, which is another topic that's unfortunate, but I love to I love to talk about it because I don't think that we realize how much this actually comes up in the workplace and for you know, for individuals. So African Americans are six times more likely than our white counterparts to report workplace discrimination. So this is actually something that we see a lot of at my practice at Hall Counseling Services. We have a lot of black folks that come in and they feel that they have been discriminated against, but they have no idea how to fight it. They're not really sure what to do about it. But they come in and they can explain and express how it's made them feel. Right, And so one of the things that we teach, which actually is not it's not necessarily therapeutic, but I am also an advocate, so I'm going to educate anytime, you know, I have the opportunity to, I usually teach people what to document. Like, so the first thing that people need to know is when you feel like you're being discriminated against at work because of your race or for any reason, but for the purposes of this this session, race, you need to make sure you're documenting all of those incidents right, because it needs to be very clear. You know, if I have a client who comes in and they have filed a complaint against the EEOC, and you know, essentially claiming that their job or their manager, supervisor, someone in the workplace has discriminated against them. You may it may be true, and usually it is, but you have to be able to prove it or nothing comes of it. Right, You're not going to get compensated, you're not going to get any money, no one's going to apologize, and so when you you know, one example that is a really clear cut example is when there's a meeting and you feel like you have a supervisor who really doesn't like you, and they will just simply not send you the invite for the meeting, and you realize later that your entire team has gone to this meeting and you weren't included, and it's very intentional, especially if you're the only black person on the team. And so that that is one of the more like clear ways that we see workplace discrimination. But there are some other more subtle things i e. You know, my r EG microaggressions that happen that are a little bit harder to prove. But those things also need to be documented because the more the the higher the frequency of these even microaggressions, the unseen things that happen to us racially, the stronger the case, right, So the better off we are when we're trying to foul a complaint against our jobs. So it's interesting because we have people reach out all the time and they're like, hey, we heard you guys work on you know, workplace discrimination, like help me, you know, So we're definitely there for that. So finally, just to you know, kind of highlight microaggressions, the number of African Americans who report racial trauma via microaggressions is equal to the Canadian population, which is thirty seven million people. Right, so we're talking, we're talking about ninety percent of the African American populace here in this country, which is absolutely horrendous. So, you know, it's something that most of us experience.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I it's interesting because I think that when when black people see one another, I have people tell me this often and I experience it too. Sometimes we have an understanding without even saying anything to one another, and sometimes we're bonded in these traumas.
Speaker 4: That we have.
Speaker 3: Right, it's like we get it, you know, we know when someone has maybe treated us differently because we are black. When we're you know, in a room or at the store and someone is following you simply because you're black. That type thing, we know it, you know, it's just something that we definitely experience way too much. So I think everybody knows what a microaggression is, but just in case microracial microaggressions are subtle, they are sometimes intentional or unintentional assaults, insults and validations that dennigrate or degrade a minority person do to race, right, So I think that's a pretty clear definition there. And even though sometimes they're unintentional or you know, it seems like they might be more challenging to prove if you are experiencing.
Speaker 4: This, Erners, what's up? You ever walk into a small business and everything just works like, the checkout is fast, their seats are digital, tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds. Odds are they're using Square? We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners. Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon. Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run, and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most ready. To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate. Let's Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward. This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure, they definitely can be, but understanding a professional's routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to save, plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group.
Speaker 2: Inc.
Speaker 4: P and C Bank National Association member FDIC.
Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy nom the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fine nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned and deported, you will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right. Leave now. Under President Trump America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 2: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homes.
Speaker 3: In the workplace, I always tell people the only way you can change something is to fight it right, So I really love this quote that I have here. It says nothing. Now, excuse me, Not everything that is face can be changed, but nothing that can be Nothing can be changed until it's faced. Going to read that over again. Not everything that is face can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. Right, So we can't do anything about a situation unless we actually fight it right, and we have this misperception misconception both of those sometimes that if you can't see a problem, you can't solve it. Well, microaggressions oftentimes you can't see them. But again, if you're documenting, if you have appropriate examples, it certainly helped to make your point, to make your case to other people around you. So something that we need to know is that many trauma survivors hold their breath and their bodies tightly, bracing themselves for whatever is coming next. So this is the hypervigilance that Robert Carter measures on the RBT triple S skill. So that hypervigilance is there, and it's something that you know, we experience all the time due to these microaggressions that we're that you know are kind of imposed on us on a regular basis. And then lastly, it's important to know that there's a clear link between experiences of racial microaggressions and negative mental health outcomes. So no surprise there, you know. That's what the previous slides have made very clear, all of those symptoms that can be a result of racism. So here I want to talk about specific types of trauma, and I would say these are specific types of of racial trauma. And some of these you probably both of them. Actually you probably have heard or maybe it's come across your radars somehow before. Intergenerational trauma is trauma that isn't just experienced by one person, but it extends to from one generation to the next. Right, So I have these examples here the Great Depression COVID nineteen. But specifically in talking about racism, you know, our parents, our grandparents, our great grandparents have had these you know, terrible experiences and they really are passed down from generation to generation. When you think about how we raise our children, right, what are the conversations that we have with our black boys, with our black girls, Right, we tell them, you know, how to behave when they interact with a police officer if they're pulled over, or how to behave when they just go out in public period, you know, even just going to school, there's a certain conversation that we usually have with our kids. That conversation wasn't just created by us, although I'm sure we would love to take credit for it. Those conversations were passed down through our relatives. You know, our parents have the conversation with us, their parents have the conversation with them, you know, and they are traumatic. I truly and firmly believe that they're conversations that are needed, but they are traumatic. When you're telling a child that they may be treated differently from somebody else because of how they look, there's trauma involved in it. The other type of trauma is ancestral trauma that has passed through lineage and ancestors. So you know, this is more even more of a macro type of trauma. So we're thinking, you know, movement so to speak, you know, slavery, Holocaust, errors that we have in this world, and so through this type of trauma, you know, we pass on through genetics and social learning and conditioning different things that were experienced through slavery. And I get a little upset sometimes because people say, you know, I'm so tired of hearing black people talk about slavery like this happens such a long time ago. What else can we do for them? What else do they want? And those people do not understand the impact that slavery has had on our community. You can't just get away from colonizing so many people, pulling them away from their families and taking them to another country, beating them, forcing them to work for you, raping our women, you know, all of these things that happen that doesn't just go away, you know, and people don't understand the impact that that has on our entire culture and race.
Speaker 1: Sometimes an illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy Noman, the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fined nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned, and deported. You will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right. Leave now. Under President Trump America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 2: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security,