Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind. My name is Robert.
Speaker 3: Lamb and I am Joe McCormick.
Speaker 2: In this episode and suffsequent episodes of Stuff to Blow Your Mind, we are going to be talking about the HeLa Monster. I don't know about you, Joe, but the HeLa monster has long been one of my favorite herbs, in part clearly because it's the only it was, I think, at least growing up, the only natural world animal for me officially labeled as a monster. So that's certainly connected with me as a kid. I mean, you had Cookie Monster, you had the HeLa Monster, So there is a natural attraction there, though there to be clear, as we'll be discussing, there are plenty of other reasons to love these.
Speaker 3: Creatures definitely attractive and also includes some hidden monstrous It's like there are some of the things that might make it the most monstrous are things that you wouldn't see just looking at a picture of the lizard taken in nature and like a National geographic magazine. One of the most monstrous things about it, not to skip too far ahead, is the way like its bones look or its skull looks if you don't have all the cute, kind of fleshy, pudgy scan around it that. I'm sure we'll discuss that in more detail later, but that was a real shocker for me when I in this episode came across a CT scan of a HeLa monster head. It's got some stuff going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, it's gonna be fun to get into all of that. But just on the surface, you know, they don't necessarily look all that monstrous. If you've gotten to see one live, then you've probably seen one at a zoo, as I have. That's the only place I've ever seen live HeLa monsters, and you know, they're generally not doing much. They're just letting there. You know, you might suspect they are fake because they're they're just resting, and they spend a lot of time doing just that, but still visually very interesting. They have that signature pink slash orange and black colorization, and their general character, at least in my opinion, is this is kind of adorable, kind of comfy. There's something kind of laid back about these lizards.
Speaker 3: I don't recall if I've seen a HeLa monster at a zoo, but I've seen another Heloderma lizard, very similar species, the Mexican beaded lizard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that one is maybe a little more common at zoos. I know the zoo here in Atlanta used to have some HeLa monsters and they might have them again now. I haven't been in several months.
Speaker 3: When I was recently looking at one of these things at a zoo with my daughter, it did not move at all. It was just a big kind of a just a log in its tank, just sitting there, and she didn't seem all that interested in it, maybe because it wasn't moving.
Speaker 2: Did you did you not remind her that this is a monster? You were looking at a monster, real life monster?
Speaker 3: Didn't break through?
Speaker 2: Well, where do these monsters live where? They are native to the southwestern United States and to the northwestern Mexican state of Sonora, But they are a rare sighting in the wild. So just some personal documentation here. I have family uncle and aunt on my wife's side in Arizona. They've lived there since nineteen sixty nine, and they've always been very active and outdoorsy, you know, going on hikes, horseback riding, that sort of thing, you know, always getting out there, and they're still getting out there, and I had to ask them both about it, texting them earlier in the week, and each of them has only ever seen a HeLa monster once in the wild. One of them saw a HeLa monster on a hiking trail, crossing the trail, and then another saw one sunning itself on some rocks during a morning horse ride. So I think this is just a small sample size, and I'd love to hear from any other people who've spent significant amounts of time within the range of the Heela Monster. But I think it does speak volumes for how secluded these creatures tend to be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you are not likely to see them very often for two reasons, I would say. One is that they tend to spend the majority of their time hiding in burrows or in shelters, and then the other part is that when they are out in the open, they have these color patterns on them, which actually can help them blend in quite well. You might have seen one and not seen it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, it'd be interesting to discuss their camouflage in these episodes because it's kind of My understanding is it's kind of both. It's like on one hand, from a distance, their colorization can lead can lead to a camouflaged effect, make them more difficult to see. But then when you get closer, it is more of an alarming visual signature warning you you should not mess with this creature for reasons that we will discuss now. I've of course been visiting Arizona for I think it this point almost twenty years, and I've certainly never seen one of these creatures in the wild. It's always been in the back of my mind It's like a helo monster episode would be good. But it was actually on my recent visit to Denver, Colorado, that I decided, oh yeah, definitely need to pull the trigger on this. This is a place well outside the HeLa monsters range. But there was a great volunteer led exhibit at the museum titled Nature's Medicine Cabinet, which featured helo monsters among various other profile organisms that had either been traditionally used in human medicine generally plants as well as animals that had come into play had come to play a key role due to advancements in peptides. Of note, while helas don't naturally live in Denver, the city played host to the only known human fatality from a helo monster bite in the last century, when a man who kept them as pets in Denver suffered a fatal bite.
Speaker 3: I think there is a disputed case of acclaimed HeLa monster death from nineteen thirty or so, but one of the authors we're going to talk about casts some doubt on the veracity of that one. But yeah, I also read about the same case in Colorado. But as we will discuss later on, while the venom of the heel monster is quite a cocktail, it is incredibly potent. It There are a lot of documented helo monster bites and almost none of them have resulted in death, So very potent, something you absolutely do not want to experience for reasons that we will talk about, but usually not fatal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and to be clear, we'll drive this again and again as well. This is not a creature you need to be afraid of. Your chances of an encountering one in the wild are so rare. Really, the people who have been bitten by them are generally actively handling them. They have sought them out, or they have them as pets, and so that's just not going to happen. If you were if you were doing anything outdoors or indoors within thee of the HeLa monster. There's a long list of things that are more dangerous to you ahead of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the I was reading the exact same thing. It's not like you might read about rattlesnake bites, where sometimes it's just a chance encounter. You step in the wrong place, so you accidentally come across one and there's a strike. With the heel monster, it is almost entirely a case of people intentionally messing with these animals that results in bites. It's not one where they're going to sneak up and get you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely. But before we dive in a little bit more here, I just want to mention a couple of sources that we were referring to here. I guess the big one is Biology of HeLa Monsters and Beaded Lizards by Daniel D. Beck, University of California Press.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I looked up Daniel D.
Speaker 2: Beck.
Speaker 3: He's a biology professor. I think he's retired now, but he was affiliated with Central Washington University.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And then text that I was at more general herb text that I've been looking at as a slightly older piece from Age published nineteen ninety eight, though I think the addition I have is a more revised edition from like two thousand and five. It is Encyclopedia of Reptiles and Amphibian second Edition by Harold G. Kauger and Richard G. Zwiffel. Also a nice text. And we're also going to refer to some more recent studies concerning the HeLa Monster, because one of the amazing things that I've seen pointed out is that despite the fact that the HeLa Monster is pretty famous, it is like a sports mascot, and you know, and everybody knows about it. It's shown up in numerous films, sometimes at least once, well more than once in the starring role, not necessarily Oscar worthy pictures. But you can't blame the Helo Monster. That's more the agents of fault forgetting the Helo Monster these gigs. But movies, Yeah, that's sort of they and some more recent films in that sort of vein. But yeah, despite it being such a well known creature, there are certain aspects of its biology that are as yet not fully understood or certainly where we've been catching up in recent years figuring exactly how they work. All right, Well, let's dive into it a bit more. What sort of lizard is the HeLa monster. Let's narrow it down. They're technically beaded lizards of the family helo dermat today and its sole genus Heloderma. It's a small family, small genus with previously, I believe only five recognized extant species native to the Americas, including the HeLa monster, the Mexican beaded lizard, and the Guatemalan beaded lizard. Historically, we thought there were only two Mexican beated lizard and the Helo monster. So many older sources are going to reflect that all of them are venomous, the only venomous extant lizards, and the Helo monster is generally singled out as being the only literal venomous lizard native to the United States.
Speaker 3: I had a bit of confusion when I was reading about this, because several sources I was reading refer to the Heloderma lizards, the small family of species, as the only venomous lizards on Earth, and yet there are some other lizard species I think, mostly monitor lizards like the Komodo dragon, that also do have some kind of venom. I think this might come down to distinctions that specialists make about, like how the venom is delivered and what its primary function is. So there is some other venom in lizards out there, but these in some special way are like the most primarily venomous lizards.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely, yeah, yeah, to be clear, Yeah, the monitor lizards of Africa, Asia, Indonesia, and Australia are also venomous and thought to be thought to be closely related in the grand scheme of things here. And this does include the mighty komodo dragons of Indonesia, which have an anticoagulant and I believe neurotoxic venom, but mostly is noted for its blood thinning properties. So, like you know, a komodo dragon bites its prey, it inflicts a pretty dire wound, and a wound that is also going to drain out a lot faster.
Speaker 3: Years ago, I remember us talking about this idea that had been floating around for a long time that the komodo dragon in particular had weaponized pathogenic bacteria in its mouth so that it would like bite its prey. I guess the idea is it would bite its prey and this would cause an infection and then later the komodo dragon could take advantage of this and take down the prey. This apparently used to be a pretty popular theory, but recent research has turned against it. So I was reading some articles about this, quoting a toxicologist named Brian Frye at the University of Queensland who talks about how actually komodo dragon mouths are not especially they don't have a specially dangerous bacteria in them. In fact, they're relatively clean as far as animal mouths go. Kimodo dragons spend a lot of time cleaning their mouths, kind of licking and smacking their lips and rubbing their heads on things in the environment, like rubbing their mouths against leaves to try to clean them off after meals. So you have this old idea of the kimodo dragons with rotting meat in their teeth or something, and this kind host bacteria that will infect the prey animal after it gets a bite from the komodo dragon. That seems to be not really the case. Their mouths are not really different from the mouths of other carnivores, and fry says that they just don't have enough bacteria in their mouths to really harm an injured animal anymore than you would expect a bite of any animal too.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, and this makes sense on several grounds. For starters, we know that while komodo dragons are voracious eaters, they consume something like all but twelve percent of a body, tearing it apart with their strong foe loombs and serrated teeth, which, by the way, sets monitor lizards in general apart from most reptiles, aside from I believe sea turtles in that they're not swallowing prey whole. They're you know, tearing it up. They but but yeah, they're they're in their own way fastidious. They take care to sling out the contents of intestines before they eat them, and their small young avoid cannibalization by their gigantic elders, in part by rolling around in such filth.
Speaker 3: Interesting. Yeah, so that they're too smelly to eat, I guess, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that in common. They also like tend to stick to the trees, so yeah, they're they're too young to get along with the big kimodos. They stay up in the trees. As they grow in size, they come down. But kmodo dragons grow throughout their lives, like you know a lot of reptile species that we've discussed. So there's there's still going to be a mismatch, and you're gonna have these situations where komodo drag the large ones have taken down prey and or are scavenging prey, and so there's some sort of large, smelly feast to be had. The big dragons are going to have primary access to that. The younger dragons, the ones that are there, they're big enough to come down from the trees, but they're not big enough to get in on the buffet. They're going to go around in this circle, this kind of uh, this circle of that's like a nervous circle that's going around the feeding area, an appeasement circle, I believe it's sometimes referred to as where they're just kind of hanging around making it clear that they are not contesting the kill at all, They are not attempting to get in, but they are ready to do clean up after the main meal has taken place. So, yeah, kimodos in and of themselves instant endlessly fascinating as well, you know, enormous predatory lizards and yeah, so I guess the other thing thinking about this whole this this again this idea that there was harmful bacteria in their saliva, which you see that in the older sources and even in not so old sources. They so kind of you see, kind of like a halfway holding onto that concept where they're saying, Okay, there's a toxin, there's a venom in play, but also the bacteria. But you know, when you look at the full equation of what they have, their strength, their teeth, their anticoagulant, venom, they certainly don't need a bacterially potent bite to get the job done. I suspect some of this also goes back to prior interpretations of the Komodo dragon as being primarily scavengers. In part this may have been due to the fact that you would see them, you know, all hanging out around this rotting kill. But nowadays we know that they are very capable hunters, bringing down things like water buffaloes and deer, and they are in fact apex predators in their environments.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so attacking live prey, going after it, taking it down with strength, with jaws, all that stuff. Yeah, and the help of some venom as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, I think the idea is, yeah, they get a really good bite in. If the prey makes it away from them, they're not going to make it too far and they're going to succumb to those injuries.
Speaker 3: But again to emphasize, based on what I was reading, it seems like komodo dragons are not going to be as dependent on their venom for a hunting and predation as like most venomous snakes are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like you can think of a venomous snake almost as a sniper, whereas the komodo dragon is more like artillery I guess, and some similar interpretations are going to transition into and I'm certainly going to apply to what we're going to be talking about with the HeLa Monster. So coming back to the Helo monster, what does this name mean? You know, I think, going back to childhood interpretations, this is you know, we encounter the word HeLa. It is spelled g i l a. This leads to a number of early mispronunciations as we talk about the Gila monster. Perhaps, but it is HeLa and it is named for the HeLa River basin of New Mexico and Arizona, where it was once plentiful. The scientific name is Heloderma suspectum, which translates to suspicious wart skin, with the suspart coming from nineteenth century paleontologist and biologist Edward Drinker Cope. Some of you may remember that name. He was one of the key individuals in the paleontologist Bone Wars.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So, according to that book by Beck, the reason that these lizards were suspicious to Cope was that Cope suspected that they were venomous but couldn't be sure. And this was actually an unsettled issue for like hundreds of years, the different naturalists making opposing claims about whether HeLa monsters were venomous or not. It wasn't until around the nineteen twenties, by Beck's reckoning, that enough evidence had been marshaled to convince basically everybody in the field that they were truly venomous, and yet the species name stuck. So I think it's funny that HeLa monsters are in their scientific name forever suspected, even though they are one hundred percent guilty, poor critters.
Speaker 2: I think it is telling that this was such this remains such an open question because, as we'll discuss, anyone who has ever actually been bitten by a HeLa monster. There's no doubt concerning this. Well.
Speaker 3: Beck tells a funny story where one of the guys who was arguing, no, they're not venomous, got a bite from a HeLa monster and apparently it wasn't that bad. So maybe it was just a dry bite. I don't know, Like we'll talk later about the venomation mechanism, So maybe this guy got a quick little nip without much venom, you know, mashed in or something. Yeah, it was like, no big deal. I don't think they're venomous. I would love to compare that to other accounts of bites from these things, which are epic to read. But I wanted to note another interesting thing about their scientific names. So the genus name again is a Heloderma. The species name suspect them. Suspect them because they were suspected of being venomous, and they were. But the the genus name can be interpreted, like you said, as wardy skin, though more literally it comes from the Greek that means skin of nails or skin of studs. This will relate to a biological feature we'll talk about in a minute called the osteoderms, but so heloderma. The derma of course means skin, but the helopart comes from the Greek word helos, referring to a nail or a stud, or more specifically, the flat head of a nail, So these are nail skin. There are pin head lizards in a way. I'm thinking of Doug Bradley.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think pinhead lizard is a nice nickname for the HeLa monster. Yeah, because warts, they're not really warts. Beads I think is a better physical description of what we're looking at. These, as you mentioned, are in fact bony osteoderms that do indeed provide an armor layer for the HeLa monster as well as their beaded and monitor lizard can. I frequently see it compared to various medieval armors such as chain mail, you know, pretty obvious thing to compare it to, though this can be confusing as osteoderms do not overlap. I've read the lizards also have scales atop these osteoderms as well, and osteoderms can fuse with the skeleton and with the Helo monster, they specifically fuse with their skulls, creating just a very memorable skull if you were an easy skull. Yeah, if you were not behind the wheel of a car, or I don't know, non jury do it. I don't know whatever you're doing. Or you shouldn't look at your phone or your computer screen. If you are able, look them up. Look up some images of Helo monster skulls alongside Helo monster fleshed heads, and it's pretty pretty memorable, and I would say pretty metal.
Speaker 3: Another thing, if you get a chance to look up, is a picture of a CT scan of a HeLa monster head, which I came across in a paper that I think we were both looking out for this episode by Gordon W. S Hewitt at all. Lead author is Shwett. So this is a paper about I think it's mainly about female female aggression fighting between Heela monsters. But it just throws in in the middle of the paper here are some CT scans of Helo monster heads. It gives you top view, bottom view, lateral view. Especially the lateral view of the head. It doesn't look real. It looks like an illustration of a dragon. Because so you have these osteoderms, like we've been talking about, these kind of bulbous little beads, these wardy shaped, little bony patches covering the entire head, and then also a little bit less densely grouped but also covering the neck. And then the head just terminates in these empty eye sockets and these teeth that look like something out of a fantasy. They're a horrible, just long, spiny, spear tip looking teeth that look more like a drawing than like nature.
Speaker 2: It really, if you didn't know what a helo monster's skull looks like, you might suspect that this is a Halloween decoration that you buy at lows in like late September. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it looks like dragons from movies. It looks like one of the things from Game of Thrones. Yeah, like a dragon the head with ridiculous teeth.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, absolutely gnarly. And again it's an interesting juxtaposition. When you look at a fleshed, fully fleshed HeLa monster, I would say, you know, with that signature black and pink orange color scheme, I tend to think they look kind of sweet, you know, a little bit lazy, a little bit silly. Yeah, totally not the same sinister vibes.
Speaker 3: They often have sweet looking eyes. They're just looking at you like, hey, what's up.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, though to be clear, do not attempt to love them in a physical manner. No love from a farm.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, I'll see other descriptions that are important here. There's stocky lizards with broad heads and short fat tails, where they indeed use these tails for fat storage.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So they often get a bunch of their meals in one part of the year and then store up that energy as fat reserves in the tail, which they can then live off of for the leaner parts of the year.
Speaker 2: That's right, I've read that. Yeah, their meals are few and far between, somewhere between five and ten meals per year for a helo monster. So. Beaded lizards in general spend most of their time in burrows and they avoid extreme temperatures, so only during cooler spring months are they going to come out during the day at all. They forage on the ground, but can also climb trees as well. Even the helo monster who if you again, if you certainly, if you've seen them at the zoo or in some sort of you know, enclosed environment like that, they don't really look like they're going to be scaling a lot of trees. They look like they are very ground based and certainly under round based. But you have to consider what their favorite meals are, and so they're they're foraging, but what are they foraging for. They're generally looking for eggs and young prey, so young mammalian prey generally like rodents or I believe baby rabbits also come up as a favorite.
Speaker 3: They love little cottontails, baby birds, eggs. They're nest raiders, nest rating specialists, and so.
Speaker 2: You got to go where the nests are, and certainly with a lot of bird species, they may be up in the in the trees, and so that is where the HeLa monster will go. If you look around and on, you can find some images of HeLa monsters possibly in the act of climbing, or at least they're halfway up a tree or small tree. Anyway, again, you have to consider their environments and what constitutes a tree and helo monster land.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're not going to be a lot of sorry, is it going to be a lot of desert stuff like maybe mesquite or pelleverity?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so. Yeah, not going to be yeah, redwoods or gigantic trees of that that nature. Uh, but yeah, they so some of the nests and an opportunities to feed are going to be up high, but a lot of them are going to be in the ground, and so they can use their powerful fore limbs to go after those nests as well. Uh. And they yeah, and according to Beck and his work, they feed almost exclusively on vertebrate nest contents. They'll eat other things as well, but vertebrate nest contents that's what they go for.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: Beck explains that few other lizards or snakes are really going to share this uh, this this niche because it is a challenging one to choose in life. We see this with other examples of of of organisms where if you have a very specialized diet, uh, it may bring richness, but it also can bring you know, seasonable availability and so forth. So so that's definitely in play here. Egg layers and and and eating animals are going to be you know, more active at certain times of the year that's when they're going to produce. But also if you are eating mostly eggs or the young, these are prize commodities, a lot of energy goes into creating them, and then this could and then a lot of energy is going to go into either secreting them away or actively protecting them. So so that is also a factor. And to even find them, especially if they're hidden in some way, you have to be pretty sensitive to their uh, to to their their their their their chemical signal. You have to have a very chemically sensitive organism and in organism that has a pretty good memory. So so again you have to factor that into the evolutionary direction that monitor that these uh, these beaded lizards and specifically uh, the HeLa monster have gone uh, so you have to have you end up with a devoted egg eater slash baby eater, nest rat or that has to go for long stretches without being able to eat. And indeed we see that with the Helo monsters diet again, eating five to ten times a year, and those meals are not going to be evenly spread out now they get at their Their activity also ticks up during other key moments, of course, during breeding season and mate selection season. This is when the males of the Helo monsters are going to compete through what is often described as fierce combat, though I'm to understand it's mostly intense wrestling with some nibs. So they're going to bite each other, but they're not going to go full on venom inducing bites. These are going to be I'm not going to say loving bites. They're still done in an offensive way. They're still competing, but yeah, not going to be full on bites. The mating takes place in late spring, resulting in up to a dozen eggs, which require ten months before hatching.
Speaker 3: So like in a lot of other species, you're going to have, especially males, competing with each each other for opportunities to mate.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely, Yeah, they're going to wrestle around, they're going to nib each other, and then it's going to you know, lead to mate selection and the production of these eggs.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, this is where we're going to come back to that study we referenced already from Shuitt. This is a twenty twenty three study from cal poly Pomona and it concerns female female aggression in the HeLa monster and they found that, Okay, this is you know, definitely the case when males fight each other intense wrestling but mostly just nibbing at each other with their mouths. But when females fight each other, and they may fight each other for a few different reasons, you know, territorial defense, an acquisition, mate defense, parental care slash cannibalism prevention. When the females fight, they really don't hold anything bite. They're full on bites here, which is which is interesting, Like they're not going it's like they're not competing for mating here. They are just all out like for instance, defending their young and or preventing cannibalism from occurring. Because again, helo monsters are nest raiders, they are not above rating other heelo monster nests.
Speaker 3: The authors of the study talk about reasons why the intensity and the violence of the fighting between the females might be greater than that of the competition between males, and one idea they talk about that I thought was interesting is that it could be because the males have a ritualized system for handling intersex conflict. So because they have this system of competing with one another for mates, they have this ritualized wrestling type of thing where they can sort of have a proxy for all out fighting by competing to show endurance in wrestling or these displays, which is another interesting example of something we've talked about on the show before of like a lot of the things we see in nature that we think of as fighting or aggression are actually ways of avoiding fighting or aggression.
Speaker 2: M hmm.
Speaker 3: It's kind of a kind of an interesting paradox there, Like some of the most aggressive stuff you might see animals doing is actually behaviors they have evolved in order to avoid all out violence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, this is This is always fascinating anytime it comes up. You know that we have we certainly have more extreme cases where essentially, like two males can just stare each other down. One has a clear size advantage or some other clear advantage. The other one's just going to back down. It's like, okay, we don't even have to fight. We can see how this would play out. And this is kind of more like sort of a downstream version of a similar scenario. It's like like, okay, we can sort of go fifty percent in this battle, and then we know how a full one hundred percent battle between the two of us would go. But we don't need to go there. You know, the winner wants to go on in mate, the loser would like to go on and successfully mate and or win other competitions. It serves everyone's best interest if this is how it plays out.
Speaker 3: I guess it usually only works out for like a maybe a younger individual that doesn't look as strong but could actually win in a fight, like would not win the bluff, but would win the fight. But that you know, that's not going to happen all that often, right, Right, One more thing I did want to mention from this Schwitt study, So it talks about another thing that was missing from the male male aggression usually but was present in the female female aggression. Was so they will bite, do it full on biting, and also will do this thing they call lateral rotation. Did you get to this part here where they're like they compared it actually to the crocodilian death.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So you know, if you've seen crocodile sometimes when they get a bite of something, either grasping part of a prey animal that still or just getting part of a carcass, you know, like even baby crocodilians that are trying to tear off pieces of flesh from from an already dead carcass or something. You know, they'll get a bite of something in their mouth and instinctually just start spinning about wildly in the water. And so in the study, I thought it's interesting that even though these lizards are not super closely related to crocodilians, they have a similar impulse. I guess maybe you know, they are these elongated reptiles, so they grab hold and then they just start spinning around.
Speaker 2: If you like. Like I have watched any number of like b movies from the fifties and sixties that feature dinosaurs which are actually elongated lizards, some monitors, you know, some beaded lizards for example, engaging in combat with each other that they're generally you're going to see this sort of wrestling going on. Yeah, bite and then roll, Yeah, a lot of rolling around.
Speaker 3: Oh. But another thing they mentioned in this paper is the role of armored protection in these fights. Like the osteoderms themselves the little bony warts under the skin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, this does seem to aid them in these contests between males. Also protects them against would be predators, as does their venomous bite. More on this in a second. And also that colorization, as we mentioned, it serves as both warning and camouflage. So Beck points out that the color patterns seem to serve as camo at a distance, but a warning close up. A warning, of course, of their venom, which, at least in their current form, contrary to every reptile outside of the heloderm lizards, has no offensive or predatory purpose. It's purely defensive. You know. You can contrast this again with the komodo dragons, who you know, they have venom, but it aids to some degree in bringing down their prey helo monsters. And there can they just have this really powerful, full chemical weapon on hand as a defense. And it's kind of puzzling, right. It's like if you showed up at someone's house and the house and you're like, hey, what's that over there, it's like, oh, yeah, that's my self defense system. It's saren gas. I just keep it on hand. It would raise questions like why do you have sarin gas as a like a home defense system? Like did you have it for some other purpose originally and you just have kept it around for this. It's an odd choice.
Speaker 3: Now. One thing that's interesting is it does seem to be the case that the venom of the heel a monster is almost entirely or entirely for defense. But this was not always known. For a long time, it was a contentious issue or a source of confusion, like was it for predation or was it for defense? It does seem to be for defense, and we'll talk about reasons for that later, and they're pretty interesting. But I wanted to talk briefly about the heel a monster bite and its venom So again, one of my main sources is going to be that book by Daniel Beck, The Biology of HeLa Monsters and Beaded Lizards, But I was also reading some other sources we can talk about as we go along. As we mentioned earlier, the Heloderma lizards are known for being among the few, or depending on your definitions, the only venomous lizards on Earth. But it took a long time to get to full agreement among everybody in the specialist sort of herpetology community that these lizards were actually venomous. Beca gives this kind of chronicle of the history of this controversy, talking about how in the later half of the nineteenth century you did have inklings of venomousness, some people had made reports of this kind. He says that some of the sources at this time comment on the quote vile nature of Heloderma. I love these, you know, in the older sources they're not as clinical and they're not as clinical and reserved as modern sources are, and talking about these reptiles, they make kind of moral judgment from the animals they talk about, but also that you know, some authors in the late later nineteenth century looked at things like, well, it's teeth have these grooves in them, what are those grooves for? That could be for delivering venom of some sort. And then in the eighteen eighties there were some dissections of Hiloderma looking at their venom glands and experiments which showed that Heloderma saliva was toxic to other animals. But this did not settle the matter, because then more research was published later in the same decade showing that Heloderma saliva had no toxic effects. Beck thinks that this false negative about the toxicity of the saliva was probably a result of samples being collected wrong. He doesn't elaborate, but I wonder if this means somehow that the researchers were collecting saliva that did not have venom in it, because as we'll mention, it's you know, the venom is sort of is injected from glands into mouth. In the eighteen nineties, researchers extracted venom directly from heloderma venom glands and injected it into small vertebrates, which resulted in death. But then others remained skeptical. Here's the thing I alluded to earlier. There was this one researcher named Snow, last named Snow who got a helo monster bite, and he was like, Eh, no big deal. I don't think they're venomous. So maybe he just got a dry bite with little or no venom delivered unclear, But Beck also quotes an author named Goodfellow, writing in the year nineteen oh seven, who says, you know, at this point the case is closed. It is not venomous. It can be conclusively demonstrated. Quote that the bite of the monster is innocuous. Per se as we know this was completely wrong, And in nineteen thirteen a book was published by the Carnegie Institute of Washington that had details on extensive experiments by eleven different contributors on the venom of Hiloderma, and this book and then subsequent papers in the following decade finally had everybody convinced that the lizards were venomous. So it seems like by the nineteen twenties. Everybody's on the same page. Okay, yes they are venomous. So to picture how Heloderma in venomation works, it helps to contrast it with the other venomous reptile you're probably thinking of, which is venomous snakes. In a venomous snake, the venom glands and the venom conducting teeth the fangs are in the upper jaw. In most venomous snakes, the fangs will produce deep puncture wounds with a bite, and then the snake's venom glands, often located sort of behind or under the eyes, inject venom through ducts into the wound through holes in the hollow fangs. On the other hand, in Heloderma suspectum, the helo monster, the venom glands are in the lower jaw, and the venom conducting teeth are mostly the lower teeth, So the venom conducting teeth here are not going to be injecting venom like the fangs of a cobra. If you see the venom glands of Heloderma illustrated, they sort of make the lizard look a bit jowy. There's a Don Corleone thing going on and the venom glands. So there are these multi lobed little protuberances on the lower jaw. They line the lower jaw and you can see them in like three or four lobes down there, and each little plump lobe is connected to the gums via a duct. So the HeLa monster has very sharp, long teeth with grooves running up the teeth from the base, and when the lizard bites, venom is expressed from the glands out through the ducts, flooding around the base of the teeth, and then it is conducted up the teeth and into the wounds of the bite victim via capillary action. So the same way that if you have a very thin straw, you can see liquid just natured truly climb up the straw, even without any suction being applied. It's just the capillary action caused by the surface tension of the liquid it wants to climb up through the very narrow channel. Same thing happens. It climbs up through the teeth and is conducted into the wound. But there's also just getting venom into the wound through good old fashioned mashing and grinding.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's I think one of the really telling things about the HeLa monster is that it has to chew the venom into the target, which certainly feels like a less sort of biotechnolog technologically advanced delivery system compared to like a you know, a cobra or a viper that you could almost think of their fangs as being like little hypodermic needles.
Speaker 3: Yes, I mean, as we know, there is no up or down in evolution, so there's no actual like you know, more or less sophisticated in a way. That's that's just sort of an interpretive overlay that we put on things that doesn't really connect anything real in nature. But it does feel that way. It feels like a less specialize, less sophisticated method of delivery for venom than something like cobra fangs.
Speaker 2: Right, And we can certainly understand this a lot more by just thinking and continue to discuss how a helo monster uses its venom, like what role it has in its life as opposed to venomous snakes. But the way the Helo monster is going about it, it seems to work well for the Helo monster.
Speaker 3: In this book, chapter Beck explains one interesting idea related to how the helodermal lizards prepare to deliver their venom. So if you approach one of these things, and again I recommend if you're out in nature, don't mess with them, keep your distance. But if something approaches, a threatened or agitated helodermal lizard will often open and close its jaws repeatedly at whatever is bothering it, exposing, for one thing, sort of showing off the inside of the mouth, exposing this pink, purple white inside of the mouth is very different color is usually than the outside of the animal, so that can be kind of visually shocking to see when it spreads its jaws wide, and this is often interpreted as a threat display, but Beck mentions that it might have another function, which is that the opening and closing of the jaws could serve to express venom from the glands into the mouth and then to better coat all the teeth with venom rather than only the pairs of teeth in the middle lower jaw that have the venom ducts right beneath them.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, it's kind of like one of those fighting games where you charge up an attack, you know, yeah, yeah, either rapidly pushing that button or like holding back or holding down a button.
Speaker 3: I was thinking of in D and D, like applying poison to all of your arrows before the light starts.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's a good one too.
Speaker 3: However, one thing you can say about Helo monster in venomation is if the delivery system feels unsophisticated, the chewing venom into the wound feels a little crude, the venom itself is highly sophisticated. It is this fascinating, diverse, complex cocktail of dozens of different bioactive agents, compounds, proteins, peptides, all hormones, all different kinds of things, producing a wide range of toxic effects. And there are some sources that indicate it might be a more than the some of its parts kind of situation where scientists have done a lot of work isolating individual toxins from the Helo Monster's venom and trying to understand them and trying to see what they do. Of course, this will have major implications for pharmaceuticals that we can probably discuss in the next part in the series or at some point in the series. So a huge array of interesting and powerful bio active agents throughout this venom, but in some cases it has been found that certain toxins within the venom are more potent within the venom at what they do than they are when they're isolated. So again, it might be more than the sum of its parts. And of course some of these things found in the venom or have been the source of revolutionary drug discoveries. Again, we'll come back to that, but I want to talk first about just what's it like to be bitten by a HeLa monster. First of all, incredibly unbelievably painful. People often describe it as like being on fire. There is a fire that you can't put out in your flesh. Another simile that I have seen multiple times is molten hot lava has entered your bloodstream. It's like something is burning hot and it is flowing inside you now. And this is because in many cases, the excruciating pain is not only localized at the the source of the bite. It is there, but it also tends to radiate back toward the core of the body. So, for example, people who are bitten on the hand often describe a sense of extreme, unbearable burning pain that climbs up the arm and into the shoulder, which creates distress in itself because there's this feeling of how far is it going to go and when is it going to stop. People who have experienced it usually say it is the worst pain they have ever felt. Beyond that, there are a bunch of systemic effects that have been documented, some frequently, some occasionally, so it's not always exactly the same array of effects, and I can't list every reaction ever documented, but the large list includes reduction in blood flow through the carotid artery, which is going to mean reduced blood flow to the head and the brain, a drop in blood pressure. Tachycardia is a rapid heart rate when resting, and just general cardio weirdness messing with your heart rate and your circulation. General trouble breathing, a lot of different kinds of strange breathing, maybe shortness of breath or difficulty with breathing in different ways. Edema, which is swelling caused by fluid retention in body tissues. I think this is going to be especially around the area of the bite. Hypothermia which is a drop in core body temperature, nausea and vomiting and other gastrointestinal distress and internal hemorrhage and major organs, and the lungs, eyes, digestive tract and other organs. I've seen people who suffered helo monster bites talking about blood in their urine, so surprisingly, despite how alarming that list is. We mentioned this earlier, but it's kind of hard to believe that human death from heloderma bites is very rare. There are only a couple of possible cases of fatal bites and humans in the past century. One of them is in dispute. Another one was that one that's pretty recent that we talked about, the one in twenty twenty four, the man in Colorado who was bitten by a pet. And in cases where death occurs, it seems usually to result from disturbances to breathing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've read that in general, not referring to any specific case here, but I've read that in general the effects of a helo monster bite can be considerably worsened if alcohol is in the human's bloodstream. And I think this may be applies more to some of the more historic alleged accounts, where we can sort of imagine a cowboy scenario right where cowboys bitten by the HeLa monster. What are you going to do? Well, we got to get out the old medical kit, which is mostly a bottle of whiskey. Have some whiskey for that helo monster bite. It's just going to accelerate the venom.
Speaker 3: I can imagine it the other way too, like the cowboy's been getting into the whisky, which is what causes the cowboy to start messing with the heli mons.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly, because again, most of the examples that have been recorded where someone gets bitten by helo monsters becaus a person was actively handling a helo monster.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So Beck mentions differing effects of the venom on other animals. What I was just talking about was mainly what's been documented in humans, but there have been studies on what happens in dogs and cats and mice. Apparently, doses that are below the lethal dose in rodents like mice and rats tend to cause protruding eyes and periorbital bleeding.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: Bizarrely, research has found that invertebrates seem to be basically immune to the effects of heloderma venom. So it's kind of a special treat for US vertebrates. The LD fifty to the extent that it's been studied, and then that's the dose at which fifty percent of you know, the studied animal like mice in a lab scenario are killed by the venom. The ld fifty seems to vary a lot in different studies, and this, at least in part, seems to be because the ad mixture of venom and saliva is not constant. But it just seems like, you know, venom lots that are taken from these animals in nature are just not going to be of a consistent level of potency.
Speaker 2: And this of course reminds us of that, you know, those previous accounts or someone said, oh, do don't worry about they're not venomous. I got bit by one and it's fine. It can be a variable amount of the venom present in the saliva.
Speaker 3: Now, this brings us to the question of what is the venom for Beck discusses this extensively in the book. Apparently for many years this was a subject of confusion about Heloderma. Is the venom system of the HeLa monster and the beaded lizard? Is it used for predation or defense? In relatives like the venom of snakes, venom is mainly used for predation. It can be used for defense as well, but it's necessary for predation because the venom is used you subdue and either kill or immobilize, and then sometimes to digest prey. This is important because venomous snakes often prey on animals that are relatively large and could be dangerous to the predator, as in, they could inflict injuries on the snake if they were able to fight back. So in many venomous snakes, venom tends to cause things like low blood pressure, blood clotting, and just tissue destruction enzymatic destruction of tissue, often the tissue lining the blood vessels. Some venomus snakes also make use of neurotoxins that can cause muscle paralysis, and this can first of all, it can immobilize prey, but it can also kill prey by halting respiration, leading to death. And Beck mentions that some snake venom may also play a role in helping snakes pre digest their meals, which is beautiful.
Speaker 2: It's kind of breaking it down a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but there is a pretty significant difference between the kind of invenomation we see from snakes and what we get from heloderma. So a dose of heloderma venom from a bite. While brutally painful, it tends to be a little more locally concentrated in its effects, has less of a tissue destroying effect, and so Beck argues that Heloderma venom seems less specialized for subduing prey and thus is probably more important for defense than for predation, because, again coming back to what we talked about earlier, looking at their ecology, how do they survive and interact with their environment? Heloderma lizards are nest rating specialists. They attack eggs or the helpless young of other animals, primarily birds and small mammals. So there are you know, just you don't need a venom to subdue a baby cotton tail rabbit or to subdue an egg. You know these prey are they're not very large, they're not very dangerous, and thus there's not a big reason to see why lizards would need venom in order to bring them down.
Speaker 2: Like the monster setting out, it's got like this big rifle. It's like what are you what are you hunting there? And he's like, uh, egg doesn't make sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Also, Heloderma venom does not seem to have the tissue destroying capacities that would indicate that it is used to help predigest prey, like it might be in the case of some snakes. And then Beck also talks about how field observations don't seem to indicate that heel monsters use their venom for predation. So he's for one thing, you know, there's not like with a snake you would need to bite and then wait for the venom to work. I mean, so you might bite and then back off and then attack or bite and then wait before trying to swallow. But Beck talks about how you know the heel monsters they're gonna eat baby rabbits or something, they just go in and just swallow them. You know, there's not like chewing, pumping, when the kind of stuff you would see when a snake needs to envenomate a prey animal in order to get it down. Beck does mention that in captivity sometimes he's observed HeLa monsters chewing on already dead mice that they're being fed, but that you know, that might be something else that might be a captivity induced behavior or something reflexive. But generally it just observations don't lend themselves to thinking that it has a feeding or predation function. He says, maybe it might have more of a predation function for juvenile lizards, Okay, like a much smaller HeLa monster going after say again a young rabbit.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe rabbit.
Speaker 3: But it seems that it's much more effective for defense. So the main line of defense for helodermal lizards is going to be not venom, but hiding. They spend most of their time hiding in shelters. Now, of course, sometimes they have to come out of these shelters to pursue biological objectives like looking for food or looking for mates, so they go out a wandering and if they are caught out in the open, most of these well, for one thing, you can contrast it with what other species of lizards do. Most lizards, if they're caught out in the open, will just sprint away from the threat because they can move pretty fast. Heloderma lizards they're not fast movers. They are large, sluggish, relatively slow moving and yes, in fact, there are helo monster on a treadmill tests with peak speed clocked by Beck at one point seven kilometers per hour wo, so not super fast movers. Instead of running, they rely on a secondary defense, which is hiding in plain sight, so their color patterns can help camouflage them against the background, at least when the potential predator is at a distance. So if a predator comes with within the range the lizard senses them, the lizard will often freeze and press their bodies flat to the ground. However, if a predator already saw it and kept coming, the lizard would not be able to get away quickly enough. So now it makes ecological sense for them to have a third line of defense, which is venom. So the prescription here is bite, clamp, and hold on. Usually flood the venom up from the glands into the ducts around the teeth, flood the venom into the wound, and then chew more venom into the wound for the bite victim. This leads to the kinds of effects mentioned before, excruciating pain, drop in blood pressure, weakness, lethargy, internal hemorrhaging. It is not a pleasant experience. Now, Beck does note an interesting paradox if the venom is designed to drive predators away by making the prospect of tangling with a heloderma lizard super unpleasan why does the lizard clamp on and continue to risk injury? While the bite victim is fighting to remove it seems kind of counterproductive if the lizard's goal is to deter the predator and escape unharmed. Despite the apparent paradox. Here Beck discusses existing recorded observations of HeLa monsters biting both humans and dogs, and in both cases, the bite victim does not usually react by injuring the lizard. They will usually immediately panic and just try to get away to get the lizard off, which the bite victim eventually does, and in most cases this happens without the death or serious injury. Without the death of the lizard or serious injury, A couple of recorded cases have resulted in lizard deaths, so apparently the biting and clamping is in the field not one hundred percent safe for the lizard, but it does. The lizard usually does get away alive, and I think one way of interpreting this is that there is just sort of a calculus a trade off that the lizard's biology is making here. So if the lizard can hang on longer and can chew more venom into the wound, you are more likely to produce an intense and overwhelming reaction in the bitten predatory animal, which I think thereafter reduces the effect that the animal comes back and still tries to kill or eat the lizard a second time. So, even though there is risk to the lizard from clamping on and continuing it to attack, it doesn't have a fast, efficient venom delivery system like the you know, the fangs of a viper or like a snake that can bite quickly, inject tons of venom really fast, and then run away. It has to sort of keep chewing and grinding to get more venom in there. And the evolutionary calculus has concluded that sometimes it makes sense for the lizard to have an instinct to bite and hold on and deliver more venom, even if that's going to keep the lizard initially exposed to the predator for longer. I think because a more venomated predatory animal is going to be less dangerous to you after the bite is released.
Speaker 2: You know, this is just pure guesswork on my part, but the fact that in some cases we have accounts of the lizard being killed while it's still attached, I wonder how many of those cases are going to be very specific a to humans and to tool using humans. Something that of course, a hate monster would not have evolved to cope with like if they have not evolved to cope with, say a pocket knife or I don't know, a revolver or something like that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think that's a good point. And I think if you just look more at the kinds of predator encounters the lizard is going to be having in its natural environment, what you generally get is just that the predator that has been bitten and venomated is going to be focused entirely on getting away from the lizard and taking care of its wounds. The motivation to eat the lizard by a natural predator is immediately deprioritized, and the lizard can escape if it survives, you know, the biting itself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just want to get it off of me, and then I want to get away from here. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, and Beck argues that a major effect of the tenacious bite and the prolonged in venomation maybe to promote learning in predatory animals that it promotes, maybe in the one instance, a learning in that individual animal that it's not going to approach a lizard that looks like this again, and could also over evolutionary time by reducing the fitness of animals that have been bitten. It could produce evolutionary learning instinctual learning, where like animals, the predatory animals that avoid lizards that look like this are favored evolutionarily and thus eventually the predator species are less likely to mess with them.
Speaker 2: Okay, so it's an educational initiative. I'm the part of the Helo monsters.
Speaker 3: Anyway, it should go without saying at this point, but I think if there's one main takeaway from all this, it is just don't mess with helo monsters. This is not a lizard worth poking if you find it in nature, just you know, keep your distance, observe respectfully from afar.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right, look at pictures and if you get a chance, if you do get a chance to see them in the wild, yes, do keep your distance. And if you see them at a zoo, well enjoy the treat of watching them. Probably sleep for an extended period of time. But yeah, still fabulous animals and I look forward to talking about them more in at least one, possibly two more episodes, because there's a lot more to cover. There are a lot of indigenous to about the HeLa monster like to get into. There are various sort of frontier myths about them as well that are pretty amusing and in some cases maybe insightful into the way humans were interacting with them. And then we're going to get into their role in pharmacology totally. All right, Well, in the meantime, I do write in if you have anything already you want to share with us about HeLa monsters field reports if you will. We're also open to any kind of info you want to send in regarding Helo monsters popping up in movies. There's a website that we always love to check out anytime that the subject of herbs and film comes up, and it's California herbs dot com. They have a whole section where you can look up. You can see what herbs have been in what movies, and what they were doing in them, how they were treated, and they have a listing for the HeLa monster, and it's an interesting selection of films. I was looking at this, and of course you have concerning Helo monsters and Beat of the Lizards. You have some pretty obvious inclusions there, but also like some classic westerns are just popping up in as part of the sort of background you know Frontier World. They pop up in Butch Casting The Sundance Kid, for example. No, I forgot about that. Yeah, what do they when?
Speaker 3: When do they show up in the movie?
Speaker 2: I think The Sundance Kid shoots a Helo monster. Oh yeah, yeah that. They show up in various older westerns to Florida, pache and then, of course there is the nineteen fifty nine film The Giant HeLa Monster, in which the HeLa Monster is played by a beaded lizard, so not even an actual HeLa monster. They couldn't get him. His asking price was too high. So do do write in if you have anything to share, Just a reminder of everyone out there. The Stuff to Blow Your Mind is a science and culture podcast with core episodes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, short form on Wednesday Fridays. We do Weird House Cinema. That's when we set aside most of the serious concerns and just talk about a weird film. Wherever you get the show, we just asked that you rate reviews, subscribe, give us thumbs up. Two thumbs up has to be reminded if you are enjoying the show on Netflix, because yes, certainly we exist as an audio podcast wherever you get your audio podcasts, but if you go to Netflix you can also watch us in video form, so if that floats your boat, check it out. You know, we have the really nice cameras so you can you can take it all in a high quality.
Speaker 3: Huge thanks as always to our excellent audio producer JJ Posway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.
Speaker 2: La