Speaker 1: Remember we played that pick up basketball game.
Speaker 2: Oh man at Adam lavine House. I didn't know what you look like, you know what I mean? I just and here's this dude flying up the court taking off fromt the free throw line. I'm like, who is this dude? Like, you gotta be you gotta be somebody. He was like, man, Julian Adam and I said.
Speaker 3: A year.
Speaker 4: Today with two time All Star U c l A great Warriors legend Aaron Davis, and we're talking in this episode where we believe Warriors.
Speaker 2: It was like a moment part of the bay. It kind of like started a new chapter one hundred or something.
Speaker 4: This was the last time I was a Warriors fan. Yeah, I remember everyone calling Oracle role. You know, this place was going crazy and it wasn't like that my whole life.
Speaker 1: Can you put in context how good this team was this year for the Mavericks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sixty seven wins is very, very tough. This was their year. They were wiping through the entire league.
Speaker 1: They won't be them.
Speaker 3: This will be an entertaining series.
Speaker 2: Dallas Mine invited Kate Hudson, Smooth Jessica. I was like, Oh, we're gonna close this out. I invited all my friends.
Speaker 4: You won't believe what NBA legend surprises us during our post guest segment, Whoa, whoa.
Speaker 3: Whoa, What's going on here?
Speaker 4: Games with Names is a production of iHeartRadio. Welcome to Games with Names. I'm Julian Edelman. They're Jack and Kyler, and we're on the mission to find the greatest game.
Speaker 1: Of all time.
Speaker 4: On today's episode, we're covering game six of the first round of the two thousand and seven Western Conference Playoffs between Goliath the Dallas Mavericks and David the Golden State Warriors with.
Speaker 1: The eighteen year NBA.
Speaker 4: Veteran two time All Star U C. L a Great and Warriors legend Baron Davis. And we're talking in this episode that we believe Warriors.
Speaker 1: Classic squad classic.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, those guy's caught fire.
Speaker 4: He had some good stuff to say about that, about the city, the environment, the atmosphere.
Speaker 6: Behind him, wild stories, first time he met.
Speaker 4: You, getting hot in the NBA with the legendary run the right time, Baby, legendary run.
Speaker 6: A lot of good stuff this episode.
Speaker 4: And you won't believe what NBA legend surprises us during our post guest segment.
Speaker 6: In little in our little old Games with Names.
Speaker 5: Studio, I'm gonna see us.
Speaker 1: You got it, moving on it.
Speaker 4: You gotta stick around to the very very, very very.
Speaker 1: And let's go.
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 4: May third, two thousand and seven, Oracle Arena, Oakland, California.
Speaker 2: The eighth seed Warriors have the number one seed Mavericks along the brink of elimination.
Speaker 1: Everybody counted the boys from the Bay out.
Speaker 5: But we believe this game six of the two thousand.
Speaker 2: And seven Western Conference First Round.
Speaker 4: Welcome to Games with Names, Baron Davis, we are so happy to have you here. We got Jack Kyler. They also are on the show. And let's start off quick. Let's started off quick. Why did you choose this game?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: For me, I think it was like, uh it was like a moment for the Bay where it kind of like started a new chapter, you know what I mean. And so you know, for me watching this game and bringing his game up, it was really about the resilience, right, because if you watch the entire series, in every game, you'll see that we slowly started like running out of gas, you know what I mean, Like we had like it was leading up to it was like exhausting because we were having so much fun and we start winning and catching you know, you catch a streak and we caught something. And then when we like when it got close, it was like it became super intense because every game we had to win. You know, I remember getting kicked out a game or some shit. Stephen Jackson got like you know what I mean, It was like every every time you fuck up, you know what I mean, the last four games could cost you, and we were not expected to go to the playoffs.
Speaker 4: No, would you guys go? What fourteen and six? Yep, fourteen and six and the last twenty one best in the league. You were the hottest team. I remember this time. I mean I was so happy to get you in here in the nuthouse to talk about this game because this was the last time I was a Warriors fan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, like this was what two.
Speaker 4: Thousand and six, two thousand and seven, that that year, and then like two years later I went to Boston and then the new regime came.
Speaker 1: But you guys like kicked that up. I mean I remember everyone calling Oracle roracle rouricle.
Speaker 4: This place was going crazy, and it wasn't like that my whole life.
Speaker 1: I mean, you grew up in LA. So you're a Lakers guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well but the Laker fans ain't like that. Bro. No, man ain't nothing like that, Nothing like aroracle or oracle.
Speaker 2: Because I remember my first day, my first game, I came off the bench, went to the score table, came in and like people were standing up clapping, and I was like, damn they happy to hear see me. And it was packed. So the people were there, you know what I mean. They were just disappointed that we were losing, right, and it was hellaquiet. They ain't really have much to cheer about, but it got loud in moments in spurts.
Speaker 3: This shit when we.
Speaker 2: Believe thing came. It was like every person that was coming out their house, that was watching on TV was like, fuck that, I'm going to the game. Something about to happen, you know what I mean. And so people just you could feel it in the street. It wasn't like, oh, you a celebrity or you know you play. It was just like, man, let's go look, oh you want to eat boom? Hey, make sure they get you know what I mean. It was like the whole city, like everywhere we went, they was really like all the way in like bodying, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: And you guys jump started that because you know, three years four years later they started getting you know, the other guys. But like, the Bay wasn't always like that for basketball.
Speaker 1: Now, I grew up in the Bay.
Speaker 4: You know, it was a Giants Niners town. Yep, this is like the moment. I mean back in the day that was before my time. They had some you know, some good teams, but this was the jump start. Uh is this the greatest game of all time?
Speaker 3: Uh? No, I don't know.
Speaker 1: We ask every we ask every one. No.
Speaker 4: No, Now what's life looking like right now?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: For me?
Speaker 2: So I'm uh, you know, producing content, you know, and then I'm hosting these you know events for like investments, financial literacy, just trying to bring athletes, entertainers into like into a world of us where we can all win on deals, you know what I mean, and we can all support each other, whether it's a doc, a story. Like there should be an ecosystem and a platform. So I've been building slicks, sports lifestyle and culture and big business inside the game to be like really like an ecosystem capture for us as athletes to be to share ideas, share investments, share our story, you know what I mean, and then own the platform, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And you were telling me you're going around and you basically throw these what is it a business convention?
Speaker 1: These three four day clinics.
Speaker 4: Everyone goes there, they speak their experience, which I'm a super fan of because I've dealt with you know, my production company and my merch brand, with my team, We've been very entrepreneurial. Yeah, And whenever you see other athletes going out and being entrepreneurs, that's awesome because we all know the big companies they yea, you know, they.
Speaker 1: Make the deals.
Speaker 3: They make the deals all day.
Speaker 1: But if you some hungry dudes.
Speaker 3: That are relentless totally, I mean, look.
Speaker 4: At the McAfee's of the world, you know, you look at the Peyton Mannings and all these guys that are stacking freaking.
Speaker 2: Barnes, sacking Matt Barns.
Speaker 3: I mean, like.
Speaker 1: Shannon Sharp, like all these guys.
Speaker 3: Had a knuckleheads, Quinn Richardson and Darius Miles.
Speaker 1: Without a doubt, it's gonna be I mean, that's awesome. It's awesome.
Speaker 2: It's good because you know, we were talking about that today or just now it was like media is different now. It's like I want to do this more than I want to promote myself, you know what I mean, And so like you can open up, you can be yourself, and then what's better than like athleteses athletes a fan? Right, Sometimes you go on these podcasts and things like that and it's like you don't really like it's clickbait, right, or they try and get you to like chime in on some shit that you know, they trying to catch you in a moment like hey, what do you think about the game. It's like I ain't even really watch the game. It was like podcasts over it's like, you know what I mean, like what do you think about this?
Speaker 3: Like, man, you know, I ain't really been tapped in Like they hate that.
Speaker 2: But like for a athlete, it's like we can talk about teams without watching because there's certain insight.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: With media, they want they're like facts and opinion and like a big ass ball of a melting pot of that, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: What they want to hear.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, they don't always want to hear like what the athlete feels, you know, they want to talk about the game. Yeah, you know what about and these are regular people all day and it's it's a movie and it's a show to everyone. It's crazy. But what are some things that people don't know about athletes in retirement.
Speaker 2: Well that's a good one that we know more than the sport we play, that were just really trying to chill, you know what I mean. If we win a group of people and we're having like dinner and lunch, you know what I mean, Like we're just trying to be normal citizens.
Speaker 3: I would say that.
Speaker 2: And then also a lot of things they don't know about is the athlete entrepreneur side, right, because you're so caught up in what we did, what we accomplished, right, you never really get an opportunity to know the person, you know what I mean. And I think that's it's a letdown right when you're retired, because it's like, yeah, man, I can talk about sports all day, but like this is life after retirement, this is the new version of me.
Speaker 1: Tell us about the podcast we did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a big, big business inside the game. You crushted, I mean, the winning attitude, the championships spirit.
Speaker 3: Hey, Ron, don't get me started.
Speaker 2: When you know when it when it comes to the podcast, they gotta they gotta see you. I was fired up. I was fired up. I drove picked my kids up, gave him the lesson. I started training them. They passed out. I picked them up, poor water on them. I said, man, hey, my dog, he knows how he knows what that championship pedigree is. And you know now I got him tied up in the cage, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Feed once a day.
Speaker 2: I was Rob's ready to run through a brick wall, you know what I mean. I was just like I came back to my team. They was like, yo, are you all like steroids or juice? I was like, no, man, I'm just fired up. I'm motivated and uh no, all jokes aside. Like the business inside the game podcast for me is to really understand who you are, what you're building, and for everybody else to see that. Right, But how did you get there?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: What made you who you are?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: And then the thing that makes.
Speaker 2: You who you are also going to make you who you are in your second life without a doubt, you know what I mean. And so that's that's the beauty of the podcast. And you're a rock star I.
Speaker 3: Mean, everybody in the office.
Speaker 2: Was like, man, let me take a picture. I'm like, yo, y'all got it, Like y'all gotta chill man like you were.
Speaker 3: You were. So he was so great to everybody.
Speaker 2: Posting sinemon, can we post the pictures? I was like, yo, chill like chill man like and Craig Smith shout out to Craig Smith, one of my podcast co hosts of Sports Lifestyle and Coaching.
Speaker 3: You know, he was a huge Patriot. You so he was, you know, a big dude.
Speaker 2: And he was like he was like, man, I ain't gonna say that. I was like, you ain't gonna say nothing. I'm about to introduce you, bro, and like just to see him like open up, you know what I mean, and like it was almost like a peered appear and like a fan, like a real fan, you know, like we are real fans of what you do.
Speaker 1: Remember you.
Speaker 4: We'll get into the game James and ship, but dude, we remember we played that pick up basketball game.
Speaker 2: Oh man, Adam Adam Lavine House. That's when I first met you. I never I didn't know what you look like, you know what I mean. I just see yeah, I just see you on the field, like, damn, that's what you know. That's that little.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean? That mother fucking can go like you know.
Speaker 2: What I'm saying, Like you were just magic on the field. Then we playing at the house and everybody like playing, you know, like this West Side Hollywood basketball, and here's this dude flying up the court taking off from the free throw line.
Speaker 3: I'm like, what the laying the ball up? Rebound is still in the boss?
Speaker 1: Hold on?
Speaker 2: Man, Like, who is this dude? Like he gotta be you gotta be somebody, right young. I'm like, I'm like, yo. He was like, man, Julian Adam and I said, may get the fuck out of here. Remember I was like, yo, you gotta be somebody.
Speaker 3: Dog.
Speaker 1: I get I get it. You you made me do that.
Speaker 4: I saw days on the court, Like I show him how I'm not skilled at least get a rebound.
Speaker 3: I was like, man, who is this dude?
Speaker 2: I was like, man, who are you? He was like, man, I'm Julian. I said, damn, it makes sense. I see why you out there killing on the football field.
Speaker 5: I see how did this game come to be? I got to hear about this. It's like some damn Chappelle show stuff.
Speaker 4: Josh going to go play basketball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I used to play against Adam in middle school Crossroads versus brent Wood.
Speaker 3: So we always been cool. That's the homie. Our kids went to school together. So he was like, Yo, you want.
Speaker 2: To come hoop? And I was like, yeah, I'm down to go hoop. You know, I need to get out and get some exercise. I didn't know you was. They didn't tell me. Nobody like you was gonna be there.
Speaker 3: It was like the hommies, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So I'm thinking you like one of the homies that I don't know, a producer.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm paying attention to you start.
Speaker 1: You know. It was like.
Speaker 3: I was like, it's a.
Speaker 2: Motherfucker garden every body. Bro, you're literally guarding everybody on the court.
Speaker 3: I was drimming.
Speaker 2: I was like, okay, let me pass. I'm with him, respect, I was passing. Let me get out of his way. Bro, this this dude is this dude is a Tasmanian devil out here.
Speaker 3: Well, you took off from the free throw line and was just I was like, yo, one, what is he doing? How did he do that?
Speaker 2: And then who are you? Like you you must do something because you're not built like these dudes.
Speaker 3: Trainer. He was like, bro, I'm Julian Lleman.
Speaker 5: I said, we gotta throw this one up there for you.
Speaker 3: Okay, what side? Okay? What side? Man?
Speaker 1: That was my freshman year.
Speaker 2: Come on, man, you you you trying to get to the cup and you ain't got no socks on?
Speaker 3: Go back?
Speaker 1: Came in.
Speaker 2: Look the other dude ain't got up low custs. We got to bring the low custs back.
Speaker 1: You didn't see no sock. You used to put them up and stuff them up increase. I would.
Speaker 2: I would roll mine themn like, roll them all the way inside the shoe and then put another socker on it so it wouldn't roll up.
Speaker 4: How much to growing up in La shape your relationship with the business world and the entertainment industry a lot?
Speaker 3: Uh? You know, I'm from South Central.
Speaker 2: I got a scholarship to go to this private school called Crossroads and.
Speaker 1: Better play soccer there.
Speaker 2: There's a very fair article that came out, you know a while ago, like Crossroads is Hollywood High. But for me, it was like an eye opening experience coming from you know, the trenches to going to like.
Speaker 3: Disneyland or going to Hollywood.
Speaker 2: Do you mean the trenches? So you know, I'm from South Central. So it's like gangs, drugs, no opportunity, uh, invisible fences and it is you get anxiety walking to the market to go buy groceries. So you confine by your neighborhood, by your gang, by the people in your neighborhood, you don't get a chance to get out. So for me, I got a chance to get out and see something and see La like I never seen La before, Like a kid in my neighborhood would never see La.
Speaker 3: So then you know, kind of going a crossroads that.
Speaker 2: Shit just exposed me to like, oh, he's a producer, my guy, my dad's a cameraman, my dad does the marketing. Sounds like whoa, there's a there's a bigger world to just the movies that I like. And these people are the lawyers and the producers and you know, the actors and actresses and so for that, like I really became interested. And I start realizing that like I am living a movie and I'm living in the movie in this story, that I'm able to.
Speaker 3: See all these things.
Speaker 2: And so I was just like going to set it's going to premierees, just kind of soaking it up as a kid, like you want to go hell yeah, go hell yeah, Mike. I definitely don't want to go back home, so anything I can do to get away.
Speaker 3: And it just opened my mind.
Speaker 2: Up to the things that would have made me confined and ignorant had I not been able to get out.
Speaker 3: You know, the environment that I.
Speaker 1: Was in experience.
Speaker 4: That's what people lack when they're they have judgment totally. They never experienced a certain situation, a certain culture, certain neighborhood, and that's why you get a lot of narrow minded people totally. So that I mean, that's that's a crazy story.
Speaker 3: And that's what Crossroads was. It was like I came in.
Speaker 2: Only knowing about being black, being hood, you know what I mean, going to church. There's you know, I was limited in what I knew, and I was definitely limited as far as like knowing white people, knowing that there were white people, there were Jewish people, they're European, there were forms of white people that there were different Asian people, you know what I mean. And all of this start to open my mind and be like, you know, see my homeboy, and be like just assume you know what I mean. And now they're like, no, we Korean, this is how this is our culture. I'm like, oh, it's not all the same place, and they're like no. Right, So ignorance can become an opportunity, you know what I mean, to kind of learn and understand and grow to start and people accept that, right, And so Crossroads was kind of like it was.
Speaker 3: They didn't look at it.
Speaker 2: As like like you don't look at a dumb question.
Speaker 3: You don't look at ignorance. You look at is.
Speaker 2: You look at it as an opportunity to inform and educate and give you that experience.
Speaker 1: There's a premium on curiosity, absolutely.
Speaker 3: I think that's you know that.
Speaker 2: But I would say for athletes, that's our guide in life, curiosity like can we get there? Like what does it look like? Like you paint this world to get to them? Yeah, you paint this world to get it get to the NFL, and it's like whatever the world.
Speaker 3: You paint it to get there?
Speaker 2: Right now, When you get there, you gotta go and like figure out what that world you.
Speaker 3: Know what I mean? Well, then then the canvas turns blank again, yep, And then you get to go paint more and you're doing business, commit business inside the game, business inside of the game. That's your new canvas.
Speaker 1: You already.
Speaker 4: And what people don't realize, you don't just get touched by God and you get to go to the NBA or the NFL, like there is a little touchness of God, but there is a lot of things that you have to overcome and you have to go through and you have to achieve to get to that level. And and the baddest dudes from our sports that go on after sports and do what they do to be successful, the Magic Johnson's and all of them, like those guys that are probably using the exact same methods that they used to get to where they were in basketball. And it's the the more guys that probably will learn that at your conventions and your your your festivals, the more you're gonna have of that, you know what I mean. So like you're gonna you're gonna kill it because I mean, you're just fucking You're pretty smart, dude.
Speaker 1: I feel so much smarter anytime around.
Speaker 3: I'm just gonna be you have me ready to run through a brick wall.
Speaker 2: But you know, as it's can we get people to understand and be motivated and confident to know what their DNA, what is your why? And if you can apply your why you know to something that you know you can bring value to, then at that point, like that should be what's fulfilling he the money, you know what I mean, It's it's the journey.
Speaker 3: Interesting, Yeah, it's it's being in it.
Speaker 2: It's being in it, being a part of something that is bigger than yourself, but being a major contributor to it.
Speaker 4: Right, talking about being a part of something huge. You're part of u c l A, which is probably one of the most storied fringe organizations in basketball. Like what was the deciding process of going to u c l A. I mean, is it because you were in LA or is it.
Speaker 2: Just well, I think for UCLA, you know, it is the best university in the world. And I say that because we're always on the forefront and the cutting edge of like thinking about the world and the wholestic athletes. So when you go back to Koreem John Wooden, Bill Walton.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: You know, the Black Panther movement, you know what I mean. You know, so many historical things have happened, you know, at UCLA. And when you look at Bill Walton protesting during the whole Woodstock right, for me, I was I am one of them, more so than I am a duke guy, more so than I am home at Kansas guy right. And so it was like, I'm definitely a Ucla Brewing. I'm definitely want to be cut from the same cloth of great players, but also players who understood their voice, their value and Obannon right, the whole reason for Nil right, and so to be able to be a a seed or a leaf on that tree. A part of this is a lot of learning, right, and it's also a lot of wisdom and heritage that come with it. And so I want the responsibility too if I go on to play, where do I want to be and what type of people do I want to be around? And what badge do I want to use to represent me? And that was your c LA hell.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And it's probably like the most insightful thought from anyone I've asked why they went to Usually it's like, yo, they gave me the biggest bag.
Speaker 3: I was. I was good though I was in LA. So I was good, you.
Speaker 6: Said, Jules has got you to run through like a brick.
Speaker 3: Wall.
Speaker 6: I feel like you're gonna get me to run into a.
Speaker 5: Library speaking of knowledge in UCLA. I know this was the Steve Lavner, but you have any good John Wooden stories and getting to meet him on campus.
Speaker 3: Ever, John wooden't was He was like Yoda.
Speaker 2: I had breakfast with John Wooden in the valley at his old breakfast spot, and he was a coach. He was like he was one of us, and he was just personality. We talked about who, we talked about the game. He liked the players, he didn't like why he didn't like him, you know what I mean. He was he had this polarizing or in pedigree. But when you met him, he was so present and he was just like the most down to earth right and he was just like the coach, the teacher, Like you felt like you understood why he.
Speaker 3: Was so successful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because he was so humble and he could And I remember I took like his book pledge. I had to raise my hand take his pledge, you know. But it was all based on, you know, the pyramid of success, the pillars of education, the pillars of preparation, preparedness that leads to success, right, and just being at that breakfast.
Speaker 3: He was.
Speaker 2: He was very funny, he was very charismatic, and he was a coach, so he wasn't holding.
Speaker 3: Back, you know what. It was like one of those it was like whoa, like, oh, okay.
Speaker 1: Take it out.
Speaker 4: Yeah he probably touched you too, man, Now did you show.
Speaker 1: Up ten minutes early?
Speaker 3: I did? Yeah, you have to do that right. You know, it's like you get a chance to be John Wooden.
Speaker 2: You're just sitting in the parking lot on your phone, like waiting for the person that invited you to like show up so you can make sure.
Speaker 3: You walk in right.
Speaker 2: But just an amazing or and something that it's like something it's like, you know, you want to be like this as a coach, as a parent, as a boss, as just a leader.
Speaker 4: Right, very accountable at any time. I mean I've been in probably fifteen sixteen different locker rooms. There's always a John Winden quote somewhere, and that he'll live forever because of that, because of the man he was and how he lived and the coach that he was. But you know, to hear that he was a great human.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: He didn't like tattoos though, Yeah, I mean he sweated me about the tattoos, like you got tattoos.
Speaker 3: I was at the time. I didn't have this.
Speaker 2: I was like, uh yeah, I got one on my chest, on my back. I was like, this is my grandmother name, you know I got. He was not feeling the tattoo Aaron tattoo era athlete. He you know, and that's our culture, like everybody has tattoos.
Speaker 1: So I bet you would have changed though if he was, because he.
Speaker 2: Would have had to wind to He.
Speaker 5: Was even making Bill Walton get a haircut like here over the years. He didn't even like that.
Speaker 3: I heard.
Speaker 1: I heard that too.
Speaker 3: Oh we used to have to save our facial hair. U c l A did you?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 2: Before every game coach Michael Holten shout out to coach Michael Holt and he come home.
Speaker 3: He be like, hey, Julie, let you see me.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying, And like, you know, dudes didn't really know how to save. So I'm like, coach, look and be like, yo, you got you know, you got a little peace, you got a little piece. Hey, dude, you have to be you have to be booty face. They're not to bury you gotta be booty and that face gotta be booty face, baby, booty face smooth, No.
Speaker 3: No, Jack.
Speaker 4: I want you to go back and see if we can get in those eras.
Speaker 1: If we get like a stat on anyone that had like a.
Speaker 4: Toilet paper, a lot of kids on a shade, they're gonna cut themselves. We'll be right back after this quick break. Let's uh segue to growing up in LA.
Speaker 1: You know I loved White.
Speaker 4: Man Can't Jump, And the premise of that movie is all the runs around the city. And we all know about Rutger Park in New York. Now, what's the basketball scene in LA? And like the best basketball there is, where are those going down at?
Speaker 2: There is none only at u C LA in the summer with the pros.
Speaker 1: What about in the eighties and nineties and then you have leagues?
Speaker 2: So LA is different than New York. We don't play outside, which is crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which we can all year round.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And so a mat and a bunch of guys gathering out of park like.
Speaker 2: New York in LA with gang culture, that's why we don't play That's why we don't play outside.
Speaker 3: That's why we don't play outside.
Speaker 2: But basketball is lifestyle in LA. So it's different because even if you don't hoop. You dress like a hooper or you go to hoop games. So we play organized. You got the Real Run, you got the Drew League, you got the Say No Classic, you got AU. So everybody kind of play indoors. And so the best basketball is really like what team you can put together on the AAU side, what's the best.
Speaker 3: Team you can put together? And the Jew or the real Run.
Speaker 2: Like people the mistake is people think, like, you know, since white man can't jump, it's like, oh, yeah, the Runs are at Venice Beach. Just like no, that's just a certain type of people, you know, the type of people. But like real hoopers don't play outside in l A. Like we we don't play street ball. When you were a kid too, well, you're a kid, you play outside on the on the court, but it's always indoor. You always trying to get on the team at the y. Like we got the most parks gyms, you know, we got a ton of gyms in parks, and so it was always like park leagues.
Speaker 3: Uh, it didn't happen. Really.
Speaker 2: LA is still not a street basketball culture. But I because of that, I always wanted to play street basketball. When I got to the league, I was the first person from l A.
Speaker 3: To go play in the Rutger.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I remember that.
Speaker 3: You just showed up by myself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was like what is that, dude?
Speaker 2: That was like people know it's like a player. It's like it's like a playoff game intensity but in the streets.
Speaker 5: Hell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's like, man, you can make like I can make you can like you know, I can make a name for myself. And then it was also some something like anybody could make a name if you had games. So it didn't matter what leads you plan, how what high level. All these were like real hoopers, guys who could have made it, didn't make it, guys who shouldn't make it and fell on hard times.
Speaker 3: But like the the Rucker was like, go claim your like you want to claim a name, Go show us what you can do in the Mecca.
Speaker 2: Back you win as a pro. I went my second year in the pros.
Speaker 3: Now that ad do the.
Speaker 4: Intensity goes up even higher because you're in the league. Yeah, it's just like anytime you go to a gym or something, everyone's sizing you up.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, they go bull yo ass and and rucker part until you get them. No, they bullo ass in the heartbeat. H you come down to court, right, So soon as you get in the game, they're like, oh, they go crazy, right because it's like a pro coming to the hood, Like this is a real hood.
Speaker 3: Soon as you get the ball, bro, so you take a jobble, they go all the way till you coming out corner go.
Speaker 2: And if you pass it, they'd be like, oh, man, get him off the court, you know. So like you coming down, you hear the whole crawler. Oh, you gotta do something if you pass that ball. Oh, they gonna talk about your ass till the next time you get it. Don't let it be a consistent thing where you out there like trying to play basketball, pick and cut and patan. Now we want to see something from you, buddy.
Speaker 1: We all.
Speaker 2: They did not come to see me anyway, But now that you showed up, bro, it's gotta go down. You better show us something.
Speaker 3: Are we gonna call you sorry and every kind of name and get your ass up out of here.
Speaker 4: You see that movie Hustle with Adam Sandler. I saw yeah, because isn't that what that guy was? He was like a hustler and the Spanish dude that's a good ass movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't, I can't remember. We need a good new We need a new basketball.
Speaker 1: Didn't even basketball like a street basketball movie.
Speaker 3: We did.
Speaker 1: Probably gotta go au because there's no street basket.
Speaker 2: We definitely need a basketball movie.
Speaker 5: No offense to Blake. But that White Man Can't Jump remakers.
Speaker 2: Oh man, I hate they made White Man came It was.
Speaker 3: No, it wasn't a basket. I just don't like different. Bro, do not remake classic.
Speaker 2: That movie could have been called Ball Till We Fall and it would have been It would have been better for the movie than calling it white Man Can't Jump. That's all I'm saying. It was a good movie. You know, I thought Jack Harlow did his thing. The other dude did his thing, you know, but just call it something else.
Speaker 1: What about Tom Gun two?
Speaker 3: Was that good?
Speaker 2: That's Tom Cruise, Bro consistent, that's a franchise.
Speaker 1: He just made it a franchise.
Speaker 2: He did, Yeah, I mean, I mean, but that's Tom Cruise. He like if Woody Harrelson came in here, if you and Wesley Snipes had kids, I mean right, and their kids grew up like that's the storyline.
Speaker 1: Played like an a game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they playing au one got hurt, you know what I mean, he start gambling.
Speaker 3: He come back.
Speaker 2: The other dude live in the suburbs. He like, you know, and now you got a Woody, you got a Wesley.
Speaker 3: They meet up, they ain't no good, but they make it to the semi finals and something like that. Is that the movie.
Speaker 5: No, I don't even add to this.
Speaker 3: I don't remember.
Speaker 2: I remember white man can't jump, I mean doesn't. But then like you make a white man can't jump too, and white dudes can really jump and dump. Now it's like back in the day it was like, oh, you know, white man can't jump was a myth. Now it's like, you know, it's demystified.
Speaker 3: Is that how you say it?
Speaker 1: Is that for it?
Speaker 2: Man, you got some you got some dudes that can get up there.
Speaker 3: Like every white dude can dump. So the whole movie was that this white dude can dunk, but he can hoop. Yeah, but every white dude, damn the are you know con dunt?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: I think it was motivational for that generation of white guys to be like, oh, white man can't jump, let us go get the strength shoes and like.
Speaker 3: It was the whole culture of.
Speaker 2: Jumping white man, you know what I mean, and dunking white man and now a white man can jump.
Speaker 3: Now, white man can jump.
Speaker 1: That maybe that should have been a white man can jump, white man can jump? Now?
Speaker 5: What else?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: Who did you idolize when you were a kid and the that you like mimicked your game after? Or was there anyone or was everybody?
Speaker 2: It was a collection? It was you know as a kid, it was Magic Isaiah uh shames Worthy, and it was uh Tim Hardaway, Jamal Mashburn when he was in college. Then it was Nick van Exel when he got to the Lakers.
Speaker 3: Uh Rod Strickland. Uh Rod Strickland was another one. And who else? Man, I'm missing somebody that's gonna kill me too. Michael Jordan's not Michael too went patter of my game?
Speaker 2: Hey, dude, that was a failed at tip if you if you say, if I saw Michael Jordan and me, that would have been a failed at Tim I was. I was a little du Muggy Bogues was another. Muggsy was another one. Love Stockton, you know, and like Magic was Magic was the dude who brought you know, all the attention because you know, being in l A. You only got k cow. So I'm watching, you know, all the games, Yeah, I'm watching all the games. But like I would say, those.
Speaker 3: Were the dudes that I really like.
Speaker 2: Nick van Exell was like that dude, like he was part of his game.
Speaker 3: He had the bop. What's theo oh oh, where are you going?
Speaker 2: It's like it's like Rapt's It's like, you know, like the way uh Nick van Exel move was away jay z rat like skipping over beats, you know what I mean, Like you can't Like his pace is crazy. You can stop on the dime, he can go past you stop, jump off this leg, jump off that leg, and like all doing it with the ball.
Speaker 3: So like the bop is like oh yeah, oh you know what I mean, Like you don't.
Speaker 1: You can't.
Speaker 2: You can't speed or slow to bop now like you pretty much at the guard's mercy. So like Nick van Exel had like that bop. Yeah, Steve Smith, Smitty, that's my dog he had. I mean, you got a signature move. It's Smitty, you know.
Speaker 4: It's it's so crazy that bop that you're talking about. It's transitioned a lot into football and route running at the top of routes. Guys that bop, you know, it's like almost like a crossover. Yes, guys are trying to cross over because you got to slow yourself down because without the ball.
Speaker 1: You try to go too fast.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 1: But if you if you play like you have the ball in your hand, the ball slows you down a little unless you're elite. You guys are all elite, so you guys can go as fastating.
Speaker 2: But I gotta say, Alan Iverson, I was gonna get Starberry for sure. Alan step Stepan Marlberry called me and told me I needed to come out and go to the draft. He was like, Bro, if you have any doubt, I'm letting you know you need to be here. And you know now is the time for you.
Speaker 3: Third overall pick.
Speaker 4: And I think so we gotta we gotta thank Starberry, Starberry, Starberry. This is a segment where we go back in time to win the game took place. This game took place May third, two thousand and seven. We talk about pop culture number one movie with Spider Man three you see it?
Speaker 3: I did?
Speaker 1: Which one was this one?
Speaker 3: With the.
Speaker 1: Together in my head?
Speaker 6: Let me feels like every time we do an episode of the Spider Man.
Speaker 3: Was that the one with the was that was Ven That was tell McGuire.
Speaker 1: He went bad, right, yeah, yeah, he went bad.
Speaker 5: And Sandman was in this one. Sand Dude was in the third one.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, this was after the Green Goblin. Goblin was first.
Speaker 6: The first one was the Octopus.
Speaker 4: Well, the number one song was Girlfriend by Avra Levigne or Levine Avril Levine.
Speaker 1: I remember a little skater chick. Yeah, wasn't there like a wasn't there a well she is? Isn't she skater chick?
Speaker 3: Yeah? No, shet the bar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wasn't there a rumor that she died? Is that another chick?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: She like she was Dayton Tiger or some sh it like that. I don't know, man, I don't know who to fuck somebody. I apologize. I did not mean to say that.
Speaker 4: Queen Elizabeth comes to America to attend the Kentucky Derby.
Speaker 3: Fire You ever been to the Kentucky Derby? I have?
Speaker 1: Kentucky Derby's pretty.
Speaker 2: Fun and Kentucky Derby was a blast. Sephal winning rain and you gotta get out, and you know, you be all dressed up.
Speaker 4: You got it always seems like it rained sometimes and a couple, and it was like you had to battle the rain.
Speaker 3: Bro.
Speaker 1: I got Kentucky.
Speaker 3: I got so drunk. Did you go to that party the night before with barn Stable? Oh my god, Bro, I did not really know what a meant jew. I'm not like a drinker drinker, so I'm like, man, these motherfucker is delicious.
Speaker 2: Hey, bro? That getting up that next day for the derby. Tayshawn Prince, he played for Kentucky, so I went with him. He was like, Bro, you all right? I was like ship?
Speaker 1: Like what was in that?
Speaker 2: I thought it was like lemonade, you know, like an Arnold like a little little light Arnold Palmer. That ship was delicious. I paid for it, though, I definitely paid for it. Shout out to tay Tayshawn Prince, one of my best friends ever has.
Speaker 3: Always been there.
Speaker 1: Kentucky.
Speaker 3: Lose my wallet, Like, bro, lost your wallet? You know what I mean? John? At the Kentucky Derby. Ay, Bro here, take this, get yourself right, come on, we gotta go.
Speaker 5: That's a real friend.
Speaker 3: Put my tie on for the prom. He Hey, man, you're tie crooking. Let me get you right. Shout out to Tayshaun Prince.
Speaker 1: Sean Prince was like an alien and left.
Speaker 3: Yeah that shot from Compton.
Speaker 6: Yeah, is he from Compton?
Speaker 4: From there's a lot of ballers from here. See I'm big here. I don't know about that.
Speaker 1: Uh No Country from Men Premiere can. That was a great movie.
Speaker 5: Fire Alzheimer.
Speaker 1: Wasn't that the gun?
Speaker 3: Yeah, cattle prime, Yeah, yeah, that was sick.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Blades of glory, disturb your wild hogs were all popping blades of glory.
Speaker 3: That's the That was the skating remember the skating ship.
Speaker 1: Shawn Michael Michael, I am figure skating.
Speaker 2: Remember he was running at the end and he was like skating and it was taken forever to get there.
Speaker 3: It was for disturb you. That was my boy silent. Yeah. And then wild Hogs was with U.
Speaker 1: That was that was the dude.
Speaker 3: Home Improvement. My guy was guy from uh no no no, no, no, no no no, the dude that from Shameless.
Speaker 2: That when they had the uh the they was like middle aged man doing cross country biking and.
Speaker 3: Oh man, that said was funny. I got that was a good one.
Speaker 5: Wild Hogs Loki banger.
Speaker 3: Yeah, wild Hogs was killing went.
Speaker 1: John Travolta shout out was in that Barker retired. Damn from The Prices right.
Speaker 4: That was my show to anytime you got to miss school, Oh my god, like you be playing sick with your mom and that stuff.
Speaker 1: If you got to see Prices, right, that means.
Speaker 2: Everything and everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everything was good.
Speaker 1: That was good.
Speaker 2: I always thought, you know, my family was one of them families that you know when people come over and watch The Prices right, like some of our cousins and aunties would go stand in line just so they can try and be on the show. Never happened, none, never happened. Never happened. You know, you're a kid, like, oh, man, we're gonna be on Prices right, Like, no, we ain't. They didn't stay like what happened?
Speaker 1: Man? Like, man, that line was too long?
Speaker 6: What's I had?
Speaker 3: Family feud for sure?
Speaker 1: I used to like with Steve Harvey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's also with Richard. With Richard the old old one man used to kiss everybody. I don't remember that guy forgot Richardson, Richard Dawson Richardson, Yeah, come on.
Speaker 3: Man, family feud for real.
Speaker 2: I wrote a movie based on the family feud. I came up with a whole movie based on the family feud. Nothing never happened.
Speaker 3: I still got it. I got it, Like figure it out.
Speaker 4: Sports World, Sports World, NBA champions this year, san Antonio Dirk was an MVP. Old Dirk and Antonio. Look they're kind of like us boring.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, we.
Speaker 2: Beat we beat Dallas, and Dallas was san Antonio's kryptonite.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were. Kobe led the league in scoring.
Speaker 4: You got any Kobe stories where we have We always have basketball dudes that always give us a Kobe story.
Speaker 1: Man, tons Uh, give us a good one that no one's heard.
Speaker 2: What's the good one? I mean, when I first met Kobe, what happened? I knew he was different. So we go to Kobe's house to at the house hanging out, you know what I mean, like, oh, this is my room room big as this, and like on this side of the wall, it's just like tapes like CD like DVD's tapes, tapes.
Speaker 3: I'm like, damn, bro, what's what's all this? I'm like, Yo, you ever want to hang out? He was like ah nah. I was like yeah, you know, like go out, like you know, like whatever you need, you know, go to movies, get out. He was like nah. I was like, what do you be doing. He was like, man, sitting here watching take I said, Man, you okay.
Speaker 1: Bro, eighteen nineteen years old?
Speaker 3: What the hell? I'm like, Yo, what the hell is wrong with tapes?
Speaker 2: Game film, game film of who his whos? Bro?
Speaker 3: It's just it's like a library and shit, I'm like, how did he get all this? He my age? Bro?
Speaker 2: He is sitting there. He like, man, this was what I do. And I was like, okay, Bro, you like held the different huh.
Speaker 6: He was like yeah.
Speaker 2: I was like, okay, all right, I'm gonna hang out.
Speaker 3: You gotta get you know, anytime, bro An's time you want to hang I'm good.
Speaker 2: He was like, I'm be doing this. And at that point I knew, like I think it was like his second year with the Lakers. Yeah, it was the second year with the Lakers. And I was just like, man, this dude is gonna be like he's that guy. Yeah you know what I mean, Like, he's that guy, he's mentality, he's not interested in any of that. And then I do got a funny story.
Speaker 3: So we played. I was at UCLA. I heard money we're.
Speaker 2: Practicing and now I can't practice. So UCLA team is practicing. It's the lockout year, about eight thirty, Kobe walks in with his trainer and so, you know, everybody on the team like, oh shit, you know, like it's Kobe, it's a lock I was like, oh, you probably got the gym for after our practice to like work out, and he came early, so he was like, you know, so the practice walk through, very respectful, went on the side and was just like shooting.
Speaker 3: I was like, damn, dude, Kobe over there. So I just like start.
Speaker 2: Making my way over to the side and then I'm like, coach, can you know, let me rebound for hi. Ain't nobody there to refound. So he shooting rebounding for him? You know, he just he ain't even really doing nothing. He's just like, you know, we're just talking, man passing the ball and I just do the fake close out and about the fourth time.
Speaker 3: Throwing the ball, and it's like, bro, we are in a full.
Speaker 2: On one on one game.
Speaker 3: He was in a one on one game. I was like, man, I gotta get this one on one thing.
Speaker 2: When I look up, the whole U c l A team stopped and they watching me in Coby play one on one, and I was like, man, you know, he beat me hurt.
Speaker 3: You're hurt. Yeah, I'm hurt.
Speaker 2: That's the only And we used to argue all the time we've seen each Every time we see each other, I'll be like, Bro, you know you can't beat me one on one.
Speaker 3: He's like, Bro, already beat you. He's like, bro, already beat you.
Speaker 2: I was like, come on, dog, like you know I was hurt.
Speaker 3: You know I wasn't beat you. I was like, all right.
Speaker 2: And so we were supposed to the year I got hurt in my career ended. We had dinner in New York before, like during the insanity. I was like, hey, bro, Jeremy Len gonna bust you'll lass. I'm telling you, we'll send that dinner. He was like, come on, y'all chill. I was like, all right, bro, I'm telling you, like he on the road, do not do not let this dude bust your ass because I'm telling you everybody is coming in here getting their head cracked. Come on, bead, I said, all right, dude. And so we made a bet that after the season we're gonna rematch the one on one game, and if he beat me, I came to the Lakers, you know what I mean, and then I was like, well, if.
Speaker 3: I beat you, you know what do I get? He was like, man, I come speak at your basketball now.
Speaker 2: And then when I thought about it, I was like, well, you know it is Kobe, Like my whole career is projecting on him. Beat me, and like if I beat him, He's gonna go speak at my basketball camp.
Speaker 1: Like Jack can break down this, Let's get into these games.
Speaker 5: Break down these teams real quick. First off, the MAVs coming off a season where they lost in the finals. This is when they lost to the Shack d Wade iteration of the Heat. There was some some Tim Donaghee was in that that series. I don't know, we're not gonna get all into that.
Speaker 1: But you know, those dudes are game. Those those dudes are sucking up the games. The refs.
Speaker 2: Always fun with the refs. I always tell him that I used to always tell them they was cheating, but.
Speaker 3: Like I didn't, you know what I mean, I just to puss them off.
Speaker 1: That's what every athlete does.
Speaker 5: You're calling the game that we got money on this, and then like and then a guy like Tim he gives credo to that because like there is the one guy. So it's sort of true.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, it's like, oh, cheating, you know, cheating ass and then it's like you know that's what you say to a rap and when you really want to teg.
Speaker 3: But to him, he was like, man, so what you know? I was kind of like his a prouh and these were Yeah.
Speaker 5: He was like all right, yeah, this was the year Dirk Dirk one m v P as we mentioned earlier. Uh, some other dudes on this era MAVs Jet Jason the Jet, Terry, Devin, George j J. Brea breat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he didn't play that much, but you can tell that he was going to be really good and then so he show up. He so he can't.
Speaker 2: He came to life.
Speaker 3: The next two years he started balling.
Speaker 1: He was different. Then what something some he wasn't what do he played for what five years?
Speaker 3: For you? No, he had had but he was I.
Speaker 4: Remember when they were subbing him in, when he was coming off the bench, You're like, this dude is about to be something crazy, but.
Speaker 1: He means just kind of like yeah, it just kind of I think the team didn't.
Speaker 3: He just got when it when the.
Speaker 2: Team start not doing good and it was like, you know, it's hard to keep. I don't know, I don't really know what happened to J but I like his game. I liked his game because he was.
Speaker 3: He was every time we played, you know, he was.
Speaker 2: I get to the gym at like four four point thirty eight being there getting his getting his workout because I like he worked his ass.
Speaker 5: Northeastern guy, Northeastern Love that.
Speaker 3: And yeah, they.
Speaker 5: Signed re signed the Jet prior to this year, which was huge. Derk average twenty four point six eight rebounds a game that was his MVP year and uh, to put it in context, they wouldn't win the finals till twenty ten to twenty eleven. We had Mark Cuban on to talk about that one. So before that era MAVs, we.
Speaker 1: Had Mark Cuban on the show. Yeah, yeah, Mark Cuban stories.
Speaker 3: Us with him.
Speaker 1: Ever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mark Cuban is hell like cool.
Speaker 3: He is. Mark Cuban is the guy.
Speaker 2: When he was young, when he was young in the league as an owner, you know, and you see him out and about. He was never obnoxious, you know what I mean. He was never uh felt that he was bigger than you, right, and he was just like a like he's just always been like a cool dude you can talk to, don't mind giving you advice, don't mind you know, paying for your dinner, which they couldn't at that time. But at the same time, like he was just like accessible, very accessible and very real. And then you see like what he was doing with that team as an owner, pushing the you know, pushing the league for certain things, you know, the team, playing the locker room, like start saying, like, you know, treating the league, like if it wasn't for Cuban, yo, the league wouldn't be where it is now.
Speaker 1: He's like an owner that was a part of the team.
Speaker 2: He was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he like you see him now like he saw the team. He's still with the team.
Speaker 2: That's that's an owner entrepreneur that really care about what he's doing, you know what I mean. And so you know, I used to hang out with him when I was in New Orleans, like you said, him in LA you know, hanging out. And then the year we beat him, now he was not cool, but then the year they won the championship cool. He saw me out he was.
Speaker 3: Like yeah, yeah, he was like yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I was like, hey man, he was like, but if it wasn't for you, guys who wouldn't have won it. So I was like, hey, thanks, you know cute, and I guess some credit. I'm a part of your history somehow, some one.
Speaker 4: Can you put in context how good this team was this year for the Mavericks, sixty seven wins is tough.
Speaker 2: Sixty wins sixty seven when guys used to play, Yeah, sixty seven wins is very, very tough. I mean, seventy wins is Bulls level Jordaness Warrior great. So at sixty seven, they were like, they lost to Miami, they should have won. They came back that year and it was like.
Speaker 1: That was the team.
Speaker 2: They were everyone's pick to win, and they were showing improving, you know what I mean. And they were just a buzz saw and they were only two teams that could potentially challenge them. And that was at the time. I want to say, it was like Phoenix in San Antonio, but they could beat San Antonio, you know what I mean. They could beat San Antonio. They got over the hump, you know, So this was like this was their year. We finally got to the finals.
Speaker 3: We had it.
Speaker 2: We you know, kind of like Lebron with the Heatles. When Dallas beat them, it was like we have it. We on our march we about to wipe through everybody, and so you know, they were wiping through the entire league. And before this trade, we were beating them with the team that we had, so it didn't matter, Like, no, it didn't matter when we played Dallas for.
Speaker 3: Some strange reason, we beat him.
Speaker 2: Yeah it was don Nelson, but but it was the year before don Nelson got there. So we had, like over the last two or three years, had a great record against Dallas Mavericks, you know what I mean with you know, Mike Dunleevy, Troy Murphy, like with that team. Once they once they got traded, we already kind of had the number. So coming into the playoffs, we were like, you're a better team. And we got Nelly who just left last year, so he knows how all these people play. So we won a Friday Dallas, you know, and we were like, yo, we are actually the worst matchup for them because they we can match up with them. They cannot match.
Speaker 1: Up small, fast, everyone can shoot, everyone can do everything.
Speaker 2: Defense were versatile, like I can guard a two, sometimes a three. Steven Jackson could guard one through four. Al Harrington can guard three through five.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Andre Beatrice, like we would let him just play one on one, you know, against the center, right. And then Mante he can guard anybody, any guard, you know what I mean. So, and then Matt Barnes was versatile. Jason Richardson played two, three, four, and so he was always a mismatch, right, and our goal if Jay Rich was playing the four, chances are they're gonna throw the ball in the post, you know what I mean, and try and like use that as a mismatch.
Speaker 3: But Jay Rich can guard the four, and so you're not gonna kill us, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: You're not gonna kill Jay Rich faster than he about to come down to court and knock three threes down and we up twelve, and you gotta take your four guy out because he.
Speaker 3: Can't keep up, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So we are always like had an advantage to like the way we played because we knew we could. Our defense was like swarming help if there was a mismatch. We know you're going to the mismatch, so we know how to play play defense out of that.
Speaker 4: With this versatility in this defensive style team, how do you think this team would pair in this day, this day and name this era.
Speaker 1: Oh, we would kill you guys would have killed. Yeah, we would kill because you guy guys could cover everyone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because we like there's there's still a matchup problem at every position. And so like you know, always say, I like this Warriors squad versus any team in this era because you know, point guard, you know, I mean like if we Trey Trey young, Monte could guard him, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Or I can guard him. Probably I don't like.
Speaker 2: Our little dudes, but you know it's like we match up against the Boston will We would match up against a Denver well, right, but they would also have to match up against us where you got guards that can get downhill dunk on you, guards that can pull up.
Speaker 3: You got three four three four.
Speaker 2: Five, you know what I mean, where it's six eight six ' nine and they can shoot the three and we're not afraid to guard.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: So, like Al Harrington was super important for us because he was like a three playing the five, but he was really like a three.
Speaker 4: Now Jack just I mean bed freaking set the stage for the team. Jack On clean it up for him, if so.
Speaker 5: Entering this one, we talked about it earlier. Golden State was hot sixteen and five over the last twenty one, had to win on the final game of the season to get in Portland, to get in, win and get in. I mean it was like I was reading earlder Baron being the party in the locker room looked insane after that game in Portland.
Speaker 3: Like, oh man, it was crazy, it was crazy.
Speaker 2: It looked wild.
Speaker 5: And then go into Dallas, punch him in the mouthing. Game one, set that tone that oh shit, like we might be in for a series here, beat him by double digits. Dallas responds, Dirk wakes up. Then in game three, Baron and Jay Rich combined for fifty four, get him right back, get that two to one lead. Drop game four or yeah yeah we drop game four, or game three, no no, no, hold on game four, win again. Game five, Dallas comes back, Dirk finally looks like himself after like being off all series. So then we're going back to the Bay for game six, our game right here today, and like this thing is just absolutely rocking, Like it looks like a college atmosphere in there. Uh, Baron, you get a little bit tweaked up in the first half, but you got to go back to the locker room for a minute.
Speaker 1: Yeah, would you do take a shot at turtle?
Speaker 2: Nah?
Speaker 3: Man, I just shid wrapped that. It was just a gentleman. I just wrapped it. And I was I was, I was back. I didn't you know.
Speaker 2: I was like, I had to finish that game. I had invited Kate, Kate Hudson, Snoop Jessica. I was like, we're gonna close this shit out. I invited all my friends. I was like, yeah, we gotta make this like a thing, you know what I mean? And so Woody Harrelson, Woody Harrelson was there. I said him and Nelly were good friends too. Yeah, so I invited all my friends and like, you know, from up from l A. And like that's why you know we got snooping a Warrior Jersey Laker fan, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was it was believing, like he we already talked about it, but that was insane.
Speaker 1: Now, when did you guys know in the at what point of this game did you You're like we got this at no point?
Speaker 2: I would say the fourth quarter because uh no, halftime, halftime because I think I hit a half course shoint at halftime.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you man, you were hitting some crazy.
Speaker 3: You got.
Speaker 2: All that ship was happening, dude. It was like, bro, I got a pull the hamstring, you know what I mean. It was like like I was saying, it's like we were we were we were starting to we were peaking, but we were at the moment of like we ain't gonna never get no rest, you know what, Like we're not getting a rest. It was it was no rest, and so we were like almost like you know when you're at that point of exhaustion where you're still in the zone and you can just like like you're just there in a moment. I think that's where That's where we were, and you know, being up three two and they just one game two. We was struggling in the first half and they were up the entire first half, and so we were just trying, like we were. They were playing really good basketball. We were playing good basketball, but they like they were better than us, you know what I mean, bigger and they Yeah, it's just like that, it almost like it had clicked because they came off the win first half, They're about to go in the first half with the lead and like feeling like they were in control, you know what I mean, where we could have been like, oh shit, like the pressure is on us to not lose this game. And I think that in the first half we was just fighting, fighting, fighting, and then I think when I hit that half court shot, it was lucky, it.
Speaker 3: Was lucky, but I ran the peachers. I was like, yeah, I told you I was gonna do it. This is our game. And you see me clapping in his face, like.
Speaker 2: This game is gonna work for it, this is ours, this is our moment, this is our If I hit some shit like that, bro, that means like the lid is you know what I mean, Like the leader is up. And we came out in the third quarter and we were just like gangbusters, you know what I mean, was hitting every everybody they rich, was setting that ship.
Speaker 3: Stack Stack got staught the handshake.
Speaker 2: Oh man, that was the funniest thing ever. So, you know, Stephen Jackson, uh had got into some trouble, so him and Matt I don't know how it happened, but they decided during the starting lineup that when Stephen Jackson came out that Matt was gonna for frisk and so so we do it Game one and then there was Nelly comes after we win. He's like, all right, guys, I got some bad news.
Speaker 3: We're like, what man? All right? Uh? You know I was talking to the league.
Speaker 2: They talking about if we do that again, the frisking thing, you know, the frisking gotta go. All right, they're gonna kick some you know, theyin't gonna suspend us for a game.
Speaker 3: Or whatnot like that. Everybody was like, oh, come on, that's like a that's not think.
Speaker 1: They were like, uh, we'll be right back after this quick break. Now, let's let's name this game. What's the name of this game? Uh, we believe game. See a Dirk don Nelson's Revenge. This one's for Don Or Is there a name that you got?
Speaker 3: I would say that we believe game.
Speaker 2: I believe in Don's revenge right because for him, big smoker, it was it was a full cycle moment.
Speaker 1: He's a big smoker.
Speaker 4: I heard, let's score this game. Is this the greatest game of all time? Let's score it steaks zero to ten decimals? Okay, steaks of this game.
Speaker 3: The stakes of this game was that all time.
Speaker 2: I would say, you know, you gotta say it's a none because it's a closeout game.
Speaker 4: I mean we've had game seven championship games on this show. We got super Bowls, We've got repeat super Bowls.
Speaker 3: But I get that nine for us to get out the round.
Speaker 4: No, yea, I'm gonna go seven point nine this game six baby star Power.
Speaker 1: I mean we had just an album there.
Speaker 4: We got Woody Harrelson, we had Snooping a Warrior in the Bay Ever had like.
Speaker 3: Celebrities, celebrity in Hollywood stars.
Speaker 1: So you brought the celebrities.
Speaker 2: Damn, he goes ten.
Speaker 3: Get my team bit star Power, stoles p was there too? Short? Was there was like the Bay Area Legends was out.
Speaker 1: Gameplay let's go to gameplay zero to ten, ten the name of the game.
Speaker 3: That we believe game, we believe game.
Speaker 1: We'll just score the name.
Speaker 3: What's the score the name?
Speaker 1: You gotta score the name out of out of ten.
Speaker 3: Damn, it was the greatest game.
Speaker 1: My score star Power. I will go how many Hall of Famers on the.
Speaker 3: Court right now? Ship just dirt. Now that's it.
Speaker 4: I gotta go with the eight point two gameplay. It was back and forth nine to one.
Speaker 1: The name, it's a good name. I'll give it a eight four.
Speaker 5: Don Nelson's in the Hall of Fame though too, corrections too.
Speaker 6: I still eight though, eight point one three?
Speaker 4: Where's that ranking in all our games that we've done. Hell, oh, that's some great we've done crazy games.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 6: They just blow the Standing Cup Final twenty eleven Game seven Bruins Cannucks just solid.
Speaker 1: I mean, this was the foundational game.
Speaker 3: How is the Patriots Chiefs number one?
Speaker 6: We're a little bias here that I'm just fucking round.
Speaker 2: Where's the game where the Patriots seated the Raiders is what I want to see.
Speaker 1: We haven't don't done the tuch roll game yet. We might do it this week, cheaters, we're talking about that was? That was That was the That was the rule even when the quarterback is bringing repack.
Speaker 3: Then we did No, we did not have the rule. Oh where you can resend I.
Speaker 1: At that time? Bro, I appreciate you coming on, Bro.
Speaker 3: Writer, I hear it. Bro, I het it.
Speaker 1: Have some good guys up there, got some fun games. You have anything else to plug?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: Man, you got time, chastrat, get you out. You gotta call and ship.
Speaker 2: No, I got a you know, business inside the game. Uh big Summit dot com and the pod slick talk slick talk. That's awesome. You guys gotta check it out.
Speaker 3: And then uh, other than that, man, I'm just coaching flag football my kids.
Speaker 1: What's your flag football teammates?
Speaker 3: We are the Buccaneers.
Speaker 2: Buccaneers six time champions, bro sixth time flag football.
Speaker 3: Hell yeah, we don't play talk.
Speaker 4: To the kids on the wife are on the FaceTime remember yeah, hell yeah they have football practice.
Speaker 3: Yeah they love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we had practice last night.
Speaker 3: We got practice tonight.
Speaker 1: We miss anything, Jackie, No, we were pretty darn good.
Speaker 3: I got an album. I'm dropping under. Uh what a what an artist?
Speaker 2: Bart Oatmeal so like a whole like music situation started doing that, making music, building out artists.
Speaker 3: So Bart Oatmeal, Bart Oatmeal cookies. Yeah, get a ball, we make cookies and music.
Speaker 1: My guy, dog, we are back. We just had to, uh let Baron Davis go. He had a very important business.
Speaker 3: You fire him.
Speaker 1: No, No, he's busy. I mean he had one meeting to another meeting, a lot of stuff going on. Oh my god, he's electric.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: The stories is delivering ability is amazing.
Speaker 5: And any man there's a fan of Wild Hogs is a friend of our podcast.
Speaker 1: I ain't never seen it. I know we're gonna go watch it now. Are we gonna get back too? Let's cut up a little bit to clean up some of the stuff we were going uh and set the stage for the Warriors. We didn't get to go in that. Even though he sent the stage.
Speaker 3: He did.
Speaker 1: He d every player that we were talking about.
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 1: I wanted to get in Steve Jacket, I wanted to.
Speaker 6: Get stack in, Matt Barnes. Yeah, I know, we just gotta say the names of the people. You just gotta say them.
Speaker 3: We gotta show, we gotta, we gotta talk.
Speaker 5: We want to talk much Monte Ellis. This was a team of Steven Jackson, Al Harrington.
Speaker 1: Notably, Monte Ellis was like the best garter. He was a beat saying that.
Speaker 5: I think he did say something along those lines.
Speaker 6: I wasn't paying attention. That's too much flashing time of how.
Speaker 5: Of how electric he was. Because I even liked him on the STEPH Warriors, Like like early in that day, I was like, Monte's got him, Like they should go with Monte Like that is a very cold take now at an age very well, but like I loved his game.
Speaker 4: People loved Monte's best Also, Jules, you said that when you grew up, you grew up a Warriors fan, that they were always pretty bad, and this was the first time.
Speaker 1: This is the first time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is the first time I remembered. Yeah, I mean, like, I mean I remember as a kid that what year was Spree wow? When he coaches choke choked out the coach. I just remember that because my parents used to watch the local news. I remember seeing it on the local news.
Speaker 5: That was uh, Spree was in Golden State from ninety two to ninety eight longer than I thought.
Speaker 3: No, he was there.
Speaker 1: Spree was there.
Speaker 5: I think by the time I was coming into being a hooped, he was a nick at this point.
Speaker 4: So I was like, because he was, he was the only star that I really remember as a kid. I was real young, and I was like, wasn't it everyone like if you're a casual fan in basketball at that time, you like watched.
Speaker 1: Michael Jordan, right, I mean, but you were no casual baby, I was. I was more of a forty nine er Giant fan.
Speaker 5: And then these guys were third and the Sharks.
Speaker 1: I went to one San Jose Shark game.
Speaker 5: Can I just in the cow Palace do the Oh my god, we need to do an episode just about my dad.
Speaker 4: We didn't figure out how to get there, so we missed the first two periods and so that was like by then, by the time we left, the experience of going to the hockey game was so scarred.
Speaker 1: That like we just kind of dropped out of hockey.
Speaker 5: Maybe one of the best names of any arena ever Shark Tank, No.
Speaker 4: The cow Palace was they were building the shark tank, the shark tank or whatever, and they didn't have a place to play. So the cow Palace where they have all like the flea markets and the ship very tight the cattle like.
Speaker 7: Shows, which also can I just just because it's my thing, you blew right past this is the time of the NHL when we were in two thousand and seven. You blew past the Anaheim Ducks won the Stanley Cup in Sydney, Kris when the Hart Trophy.
Speaker 5: Just you know, natural topics to talk about.
Speaker 6: Oh but oh but wild hogs.
Speaker 5: Hey, that was we knew he was. He's a hogsman, I knew he would.
Speaker 6: Be or anything else. In these Warriors, they started terrible and they really finished the series.
Speaker 5: They turned it on everybody got healthy at the right time, traded for Stack after he had a little incident outside the Gentleman's Club in Indy. We won't get into that. We believe baby, we love we love Stack. It took over the city, dog took over the city. Yeah, he's we gotta get him on here at some point. He's a beast. He was bawling out in this series this.
Speaker 4: Joe Barnes, I saw Barny dunking on dude bro the up tempo like they probably would have been a problem in this day and age.
Speaker 6: Yes, something I have noticed that all the guys from this era we've talked to, they were like, no, we.
Speaker 3: Were the Warriors back then.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, no, it's true.
Speaker 6: Maybe everyone was the Warriors before.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, it is a little bit of like.
Speaker 6: But watching this game, there was a lot of threes.
Speaker 5: It was fun.
Speaker 6: We kind of nailed the lead up already when uh this.
Speaker 5: Was also Jules, you mentioned how trash the Warriors were in your younger days. This was a thirteen year playoff hyah, Draus ended it back to the run TMC days. That was the last playoff win for these guys back in ninety one. So and then teen years since they'd even been That's crazy, bro, much less win the series crazy.
Speaker 1: I just remember the Warriors always stinking, and then they got hot. And then I left and.
Speaker 5: You became a Celtics guy. Think, guy, well, what what year was this?
Speaker 1: This was two thousand and seven.
Speaker 4: I was in college and then I got far and then and then at that time in my life, Lebron was just coming out, right, yeah, you know what I mean. And I was in northeast Ohio. He went to Cleveland, he was from Akron. I remember I went to the Chapel Hill Mall, picked up a pair of them brand new sneaks. At is the first once I was like, man, Lebron is tight.
Speaker 1: He's like my age dominating.
Speaker 5: And to be in Ohio at that time.
Speaker 1: I came, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: And so then but then I got drafted to Boston, and you know, I started going to the games, and you know, the Warriors kind of were starting to get good at that time as well. But then I started making relationships with guys on the teams, and you know, and then it becomes you know, that's all you see. No I like that, and no one's waking staying up until like twelve o'clock to watch a Warriors game.
Speaker 5: No, I mean we love steps. No, No, it's ridiculous. I'd rather sit courtside of the garden. Anyways, God Godden, all.
Speaker 6: Right, we want to give us a high level on this game, ying beers for the whole section.
Speaker 5: Down in front. I love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So the game we touched on with Baron a little bit. We had to speed through it. It was really a story. Like the third quarter was really the pivotal moment of this when it was one of those classic playoff third quarter on slots. Just couldn't miss in about scoring them thirty beer and a half. That was a big mode changer that I'm glad he brought up and we had time to talk about. Uh, that was huge. And we saw Baron. I mean we were watching the highlights out on the patio before this. Baron's hitting these one legged side step threes. Everything was going in the tempo was too pulled the hammy and he still comes back Bulls with Willis Reid, Donnie Donnie Nelson was throwing a little bit of a zone action at the map just to throw them off because they were undersized and scrappy and he knew, you know, the tendency of the MAVs better than anybody because he kind of assembled this team and he's coaching against his protege, Avery Johnson. And then the fourth quarter we held on after There's a little skirmish in the second half too, which we love, love a little playoff fight, getting get a little chewing in it. I think it was Stack love that Jackie Stack Jay let me double checked tough all right, final score, final score in this one one eleven eighty six. Baron finishes with twenty ten and six assists, leads him into that second round, which nobody thought would ever happen. Nobody, which leads me to one of our bigger regrets. My biggest regret of the episode. What I wanted to talk about that dunk over a K four in the next round.
Speaker 4: Come back back, because he even said it off camera. I don't know, he may have said it on Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think he mentioned it once and I was like, did that tell us about everything?
Speaker 3: Beat?
Speaker 1: I want to hear it all I wanted to get. That's why I wanted to see what the pap down.
Speaker 5: Was because, yeah, that was awesome.
Speaker 3: That was a great question.
Speaker 1: That was part of s boys. Shoutout s boys.
Speaker 5: Yeah, shout out spencing the guys. No, that was awesome. I just want to that's what That might be one of the best dunksan playoff history in my from my money.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he hit the afternoon real quick.
Speaker 5: This was the first upset of a number eight seed over a number one seed in a seven game playoff series. It's worth noting that it had been done before, but that was when the NBA was doing five game series. First by the Seattle SuperSonics by by Nate McMillan back in the eighty six eighty seven season. That was also against the Maps. Funnily funny enough, then it also happened with the Knicks in ninety nine when they beat the Heat in the first round, and then since this game, it happened in twenty eleven when the Griz beat the Spurs in the first round, and then I don't even want to talk about this team. Last year the Heat did it against the in the first round. And then Bucks are out and two again yeah out and now again too.
Speaker 6: So it's and this Maps team is the first and.
Speaker 1: Are you are you? Are you Bucks fan?
Speaker 3: Jackie?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: But that Heat team went on to beat us in the Eastern Conference finals last year. Oh god, we showed them the other year.
Speaker 6: This MAPS team is the first and only team with an eight hundred regular season record.
Speaker 1: Yep, to lose in the first round.
Speaker 5: Insane, sixty seven games and losing. It's just winning percentage, Yeah, winning percentage. And then, famously, Dirty Dirk, as we call him on this podcast, we say it affectionately. Dirty Dirty Dirk launched a trash can at the wall inside the arena on the way to the locker room, and apparently it went fifteen feet up onto the wall, so much that they made a little note on the wall inside the tunnel there. Dirk was pissed.
Speaker 4: Man, well, you gotta think about it. You know, he's only gonna throw it two feet higher than what he's at. Cool and stuff, but like that's like if I were to get it to like the top of the door.
Speaker 5: Very true. He's starting with a high base there. He's literally angle.
Speaker 1: I was thinking about it. I mean, you look, you look there. You're like, man, well he's seven feet he's probably about that. He lifts his arm up, that's another foot and a half.
Speaker 6: Trash cans three feet.
Speaker 5: Yeah, not that impressive.
Speaker 2: Dirty dirt.
Speaker 5: Come on, still, let him fly.
Speaker 3: Baby.
Speaker 1: He's German? Right, is that German?
Speaker 6: I'm so German's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's all Jammin's.
Speaker 4: Ug is a gentleman of a particular with how the engine the NBA Baska player, I.
Speaker 5: Think you did your dirt to Cuban when he was on. I think so he liked it. I don't know. I have to check the table.
Speaker 6: Idiots checked the table. I'm sure he scored the impression of ten.
Speaker 3: I gave it a t.
Speaker 1: I mean the score we got today. Come on, bead, bead.
Speaker 5: He's so lucky.
Speaker 6: There was a time constraint because I was hold me back, hold me back.
Speaker 5: I think he likes varsity blues just like us.
Speaker 3: Baby.
Speaker 7: All right, legacy here, let's get some of these.
Speaker 4: Where did Oracle rank amongst the craziest atmospheres?
Speaker 5: Did you ever get to go to a game in Oracle?
Speaker 1: I didn't go to a game at Oracle, but I went to the Oracle Arena.
Speaker 4: It was Oakland, Yeah, right there in Oakland. I mean it was a few concerts there. Its like a two short concert.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I went to like one of those summer jams.
Speaker 5: Oh nice.
Speaker 1: They used to have him out there like one one six KL you and you.
Speaker 5: And Kurty out there. I think, so that's so sick.
Speaker 1: I to Mariah Carey concert.
Speaker 5: There was that the one where you go to meet her backstage. Yeah, oh, and take the picture.
Speaker 3: We're gonna have to.
Speaker 5: We'll have to show the picture, all right, drop it in there, Oracle.
Speaker 1: Oracle used to get wild though it looks pretty cool, they.
Speaker 5: Were saying in the uh in the aftermath, I was trying to find the footage of it, but came up a little short, they said, Michel Petrov. There we talked about a little bit. Baron got up in his face after that. Three was trying to CrowdSurf in the crowd after this game, Like when do you ever hear that happened in an NBA game? A player crowdsurfing. It's like it's a damn van Halen couns.
Speaker 1: It goes a little different.
Speaker 5: Mouse in the palace not if the body is unconscious falling down the stairs. I don't know if that counts. But stack was it both? Stack was there for both.
Speaker 7: Joel's question for you, you know this, this is the we believe game? In your opinion, which is better we Believe or gotta believe.
Speaker 1: I don't know, probably was in the subconscious because I live through this.
Speaker 3: We believe.
Speaker 1: Gotta believe. I like the Wei we is better.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a whole city.
Speaker 6: Gotta believe. Won a championship. We believe. Lost in the second round of the playoffs.
Speaker 5: You think that's where Dola got it from? Is that where Dola got it from?
Speaker 2: You?
Speaker 5: Then I'm just kidding.
Speaker 1: You get where's that new picture?
Speaker 5: Oh, Batman?
Speaker 6: All we miss anything?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, hold on, we got a lot of.
Speaker 5: We missed a lot of things. But we were having fun. Man, That's all that matters at this game. I didn't realize b D was the reason for a lot of these stars being in the crowd, the Kate Hudson's of the world and Wilson. I didn't realize he was responsible.
Speaker 1: Snoop in a Warriors jersey, that's crazy.
Speaker 6: I mean, Snoop showing up in different jersey is not the most creazy La Bay.
Speaker 1: It is a little different.
Speaker 3: That true.
Speaker 6: You don't understand, No, that's true, but.
Speaker 3: It is working.
Speaker 1: He bridges bridges communities.
Speaker 6: We were talking about the other day that Snoop Dogg transcends fandom. Yeah, because that motherfucker wars that Penguins Jersey like a.
Speaker 1: Fucking you like Spitsburg Steelers he does.
Speaker 6: And juice music videos. We're in Penguins Jersey.
Speaker 5: He's friendly with. Yeah, he's friendly with the bats.
Speaker 6: Who isn't friendly with Snoop?
Speaker 5: Now, I don't know.
Speaker 6: An, I don't know anything else.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's worth noting. Also at this game, Carlos Santana, Carlos Legend and Carlos Ronnie Lott was in the buildings in Portside the Legend and Alex Smith got his finger Niner.
Speaker 1: Days Alex Smith.
Speaker 5: Alex Smith, he was there wearing a vitamin water hat. I was looking at the pictures.
Speaker 1: I wonder if he got stuck.
Speaker 5: I don't know, maybe back in the day, I hope. So he's not that guy pal that vitamin water. Triple X was hitting back then You're.
Speaker 1: Not that guy pal, You're not that guy pal.
Speaker 5: Those were the big points I think we we we didn't quite hit that.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 5: I wanted to make sure we Crowbard in there. But cool man and yeah, don Nelson coached the MAVs ninety seven to five, so that's why he had all the intel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he said it was even before them.
Speaker 5: He was, Yeah, that was wild to me. I forgot that part.
Speaker 1: He said before even Don even got there. We had a number that's sick that in confidence goes a long win basket those.
Speaker 5: Big time in Big Mo and being hot and catching a team at the right time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 4: I mean for a while the Warriors were so bad before that was it before when did what was Chris Wepper in the league a little before this?
Speaker 5: Yeah, he was in the league at this time, but he wasn't let me see, uh, but when when.
Speaker 1: Those Kings teams were hot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was like they had an ant that lived in Sacramento and they used to do the cow thing it there at their stadium.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the cow bell he was. He retired in eight So this was like right up in the individual.
Speaker 4: So like he was like late nineties yep. Like I I remember I loved watching them because they won.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they.
Speaker 1: Anything. I had Warriors gear. But like, Warriors were fucking terrible for a long time.
Speaker 5: Oh man, I mean they were bad. You lived through it, unfortunately.
Speaker 1: So and then and then the expansion team they were the Kings. They were expansion I think then when when did they come around? May five?
Speaker 5: They were the Rochester Royals before that, and then eighty five they moved from Kansas City to Sacramento.
Speaker 1: Was it eighty five?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Kansas City Kings from seventy five to eighty five. Crazy right, Cincinnati?
Speaker 3: Where should get it going? Whatever?
Speaker 1: I just don't remember they got a new stadium or so, I don't. All right, let's see what we got now.
Speaker 6: Let's toss it to our post guest segment.
Speaker 1: Now, let's go post guest segment.
Speaker 5: Man Barren rocked, Yeah, what an episode.
Speaker 6: Let's do this post guest segment.
Speaker 1: What a guy? Yeah, Oh, Baron, he's interesting, man, he's funny.
Speaker 5: Gotta get old Baron back really good.
Speaker 1: Uh, cinema knowledge.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, a cinephile.
Speaker 2: Indeed.
Speaker 6: Also we talk about simulations that.
Speaker 1: That was it.
Speaker 5: Wild wild hogs, two wild hogs, two wildhawks two. We got all the way in there somehow.
Speaker 1: I text him that picture. He said, we should definitely get in it.
Speaker 6: Maybe we could do a prequel. We should get in it.
Speaker 5: Nobody rides harder for the hogs than us.
Speaker 6: Man, all right, what are we doing here, Jack?
Speaker 5: We are doing in honor of Baron Davis, and we're in NBA playoff mode. Right now, we are blind ranking five of the best NBA Finals moments of all time. That means I will present you with a moment, Jewels, you don't know what's coming next, and you will rank the moment one through five without knowing what's coming next. All right, So one might be the best one, but if you put it at five, something better. Mike, you know what I mean, all right, So you know those things. It's like the tiktoctor.
Speaker 6: Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa.
Speaker 5: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: We got a special guest, Larry, Larry not bird house.
Speaker 5: Larry O'Brien. Trophy is in the building, Larry.
Speaker 1: Let's go, baby.
Speaker 5: The trophy has made an appearance in the little old nuthouse, coming to see us.
Speaker 1: Man, the basketball guys make it look so small.
Speaker 5: Twenty nine point nine pounds, twenty nine point nine big boy, big boy.
Speaker 1: I heard its sterling silver with a twenty four carrot goal covery. You were right, Tiffany, Tiffany.
Speaker 5: Sheesh, pretty pretty sweet.
Speaker 1: You see the net And I never knew that was like the net.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, in the.
Speaker 5: Details, man, that's so sick, that that is so sick. We got to flick it up afterwards with this makes me want to light up a cigar like old Red and hoist that thing.
Speaker 6: We got a cigar, right, we got a picture.
Speaker 5: We gotta be somewhere in here.
Speaker 1: This is a smoke free environment. This is true for the look California can't smoke indoors.
Speaker 6: Heay, the Boston Garden was in a smoke for the environment from.
Speaker 5: Now when Red was there? Shall we get it? With Arry joining us talking about great finals moments? Should we get into these jewels?
Speaker 1: Let's get into it.
Speaker 5: The first moment I will present you with is nineteen seventy NBA Finals hobbled Willis Reed returns to help the Knicks win Game seven against the Lakers. Where are we putting that one through five? With five number five a little before our time? Knicks fan, Nah, we're a Boston Celtics podcast.
Speaker 1: No we're not.
Speaker 3: Jack.
Speaker 6: You've been going crazy on our Twitter with all the Boston ship.
Speaker 3: Hey, all this, all these.
Speaker 5: Brilliant play too much, and I'm a home.
Speaker 1: I got a Western and Eastern team, all right.
Speaker 5: The Warriors ain't in anymore, so sounds like we got to ride for our dogs.
Speaker 1: Larry's Larry's here, Where there is here?
Speaker 5: And we're just keeping them warm for j T and JB baby and KP. We're keeping them warm for you.
Speaker 4: They could literally have this at the end of the year. I'm hoping, Oh, I'm praying, hoping. Coming back from Brazil and I want to go to a Celtics game. I want to sit my feet right up on that floor and just tickle that hardwood and watch the boys take one down further.
Speaker 5: If they give you an extra seat, I'm coming with you. Hey, I'm down.
Speaker 1: Kyler lap joke.
Speaker 3: He too bad.
Speaker 5: I didn't think it was a joke. I'm serious.
Speaker 2: I would do it.
Speaker 5: The next moment I will present you with is Jules Kyrie irving clutch fade away three in Game seven of the twenty sixteen finals right in Steph's eye. Remember that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm gonna put that three number three. That was a great Kyrie. I just also have Kyrie high right now because he's finishing like he just finisher.
Speaker 5: I've ever seen the left handed run.
Speaker 1: The funnest player to watch.
Speaker 5: I want to hate him, but I mean the on court performances.
Speaker 1: He can think the world is flat the way he balls.
Speaker 5: I'll let him slide on that one. Maybe not the other stuff nineteen ninety. The next moment I will present you with is the nineteen ninety seven NBA Finals, Michael Jordan's flu game to sink the Jazz in Game five.
Speaker 1: You have the push offf too.
Speaker 3: Did you do that?
Speaker 5: Some say a little bit? Was it hungover? Was he got the flu with?
Speaker 1: I mean that was like in the heat of when I was watching basketball.
Speaker 5: Kid for sure is all timer.
Speaker 1: That's a one.
Speaker 5: That's number one.
Speaker 3: Baby.
Speaker 5: The next moment I will present you with is from the nineteen eighty seven NBA Finals, Magic Johnson's junior skyhook in Game four late in the game to put the uh the Lakers ahead and beat the Celtics. That going to win this series four to two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I never liked the Lakers.
Speaker 3: I like Magic Johnson.
Speaker 1: But yep, that's a three spot that we.
Speaker 6: Just spent the night in the Forum.
Speaker 1: We were just in the forum.
Speaker 5: We were there.
Speaker 1: There are some great pieces of some photos in that always a.
Speaker 5: Lot of history in that building, a lot of history.
Speaker 6: Jack had some great jokes that definitely got cut. Yeah, and we shouldn't say right now, we.
Speaker 5: Won't see they were cut for a reason. And then finally the last moment from also from the twenty sixteen NBA Finals, Lebron's chased down block in Game seven, Remember that one I do?
Speaker 1: Oh that would all the time.
Speaker 5: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Yeah, early in the career.
Speaker 5: Objects in rearview mirror maybe closer than they appear.
Speaker 1: I went to Chapel Hill. Mom bought me some Lebron's back in the days, the Zoom Soldiers in the day. Ohio, those are classic.
Speaker 5: That was back when Lebrons were in this.
Speaker 1: That's two P, right, that's ye, I'll give two P. That's that's how it should be.
Speaker 5: Pretty dark, good list, you know, m J one, m J one. We went Kyrie No, No, we went Lebron.
Speaker 4: To Lebron too, Kyrie three, Kyrie three, and Willis reed, Oh my god. Willis reminds me of a terrible joke that we won't tell because we have Larry here.
Speaker 6: We gotta respect Larry.
Speaker 1: Gotta respect Larry, very respectable, blind drink. But Chris Long knows what I'm talking about with Willis.
Speaker 5: We'll have to ask him.
Speaker 1: Chris Long, you know what I'm talking about, Willis.
Speaker 5: Green light, green Light.
Speaker 6: I've got one question for Larry. I wonder what his favorite home is the next.
Speaker 3: One, the next one, the next one.
Speaker 6: Hell yeah, that's well, that was awesome.
Speaker 5: What Larry, Oh, Larry, maybe the best guess we've got in the nuthouse. And sometime it's it's.
Speaker 6: Up there until we get Stanley.
Speaker 3: What an asshole this guy?
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, what a game.
Speaker 1: Thanks again to Baron and Larry. Larry, thanks for coming in and stopping by the set.
Speaker 3: We love it.
Speaker 1: They keep that bad boy shiny. Seriously, they came in, dropped it off with gloves. I honestly, I feel like I'm not at liberty to touch this thing.
Speaker 5: I know I had the same feeling.
Speaker 1: Look, it's a weird, superstitious thing, and I've already been holding it.
Speaker 6: We'll cut that if they Celtics lose next round.
Speaker 3: Stop.
Speaker 5: Stop, don't even put that out in the ether.
Speaker 1: That's been another episode of Games with Names.
Speaker 4: Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, wherever you listen to podcasts.
Speaker 1: Comment a game you want.
Speaker 4: Us to do and remember, rate and review, Rate and review baby Jackie with the vocals. Remember to follow Games with Names on YouTube, Instagram, x TikTok, and snapchat. Leave a message on the hotline bling at four two four two nine one two two nine zero, see you guys next week.
Speaker 6: Before we wrap it up, just a big thank you to Larry and his team in the NBA.
Speaker 1: O Brian, thank you this is and we can't wait to see you back in Boston this year. It'd be really cool to see in the garden.
Speaker 6: Let's go see hell yeah, let's go see what and honor.
Speaker 5: Let's all.
Speaker 4: Games with Names is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.