Speaker 1: Are you a big sleepover person? Were you a big sleepover person back in the day.
Speaker 2: I'm still a big sleepover person. Matter of fact.
Speaker 3: That's one of the most exciting things I think having like a little girl is going to be. It's like part of that her being becoming a teenager and like doing the slumber parties for her and the toilet papering all of that. I'm so excited for, so excited.
Speaker 1: For my wife's cause. So there's two kinds of kids. I think when you grow up.
Speaker 4: There's the kids who can't wait to go for a slumber party, and then there's the kids that don't want to sleep outside their house.
Speaker 1: Right, so.
Speaker 2: Let me go, Let me go.
Speaker 1: And Sue is exactly the opposite where she was.
Speaker 4: She'd thinks she'd make it to like nine thirty and then call her parents and like, so.
Speaker 3: I my cousin is three years older than me. So when we were like slumber partying, right, she's probably like eleven twelve, like eight, you know, And every time we would have you know, our holiday events, I'm talking, and we used to do everything together, like Fourth of July, Memorial Day, you know, Haybord Day, all those of course, we were together than the regulars.
Speaker 2: The Thanksgiving, the every holiday.
Speaker 3: My sister or my mom and her sister, my aunt Betty were together. So we always were together every holiday. It was like, Okay, this is a holiday, Leah's going to spend the night at my house.
Speaker 2: It get to like nine thirty ten, and.
Speaker 3: So it just got to the point where like it was obvious that she was never going to spend the night at my house.
Speaker 2: I always went and spent the night at her house.
Speaker 1: Are you still friends with Leah?
Speaker 2: Lea's like my cousin.
Speaker 4: Yes, she and she seems will she sleep Will she sleep at your house now?
Speaker 5: Or no?
Speaker 2: I don't think so. Well, now she got four kids, there's no way she could do that.
Speaker 1: Now. She probably wants to let me.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah no, But it's the sleepover thing is so fun, especially for younger kids. And like Monroe is the same as me, Like she's okay to go and spend the night away from Jordan and I at her friend's house. But her bestie is still someone that kind of like ventures into her mom and dad's dad's bed at night.
Speaker 1: So like.
Speaker 2: She's like not ready to come over to our house.
Speaker 1: I guess yet you know, so get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's you know, it's different.
Speaker 3: But I well, I have dreams about the first sleepover I get to.
Speaker 1: Do at my house with my It's going to be crazy.
Speaker 2: It's going to be so over the top, so obnoxious and so wonderful.
Speaker 1: I'm sure you absolutely do not need to invite me to.
Speaker 2: You would hate it. The girls, So can I start screaming at all? You're out?
Speaker 1: I'm out out.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pj's, and your popcorn and go back to a time when all the houses were smart.
Speaker 1: The Waves, Tsunamis and the High School's Musical.
Speaker 2: I'm Wilford Dell and I'm Sabrina Bryan.
Speaker 1: Look into my eyes. You're getting sleepy and sleepier. And when I snap my fingers.
Speaker 4: We're gonna get into our newest d com That's right, twenty twenty three is coming of age comedy The Slumber Party. Let's just be honest. Let's call it what it is. This is Disney Channel's version of The Hangover. It's it's the Hangover. Yeah, it's literally the Hangover. It is, so we'll call it the Tween Hangover. The movie air July twenty seven to twenty twenty three on the Disney Channel, then dropped on Disney Plus the next day, and like a lot of these d coms, it is based on a book from twenty sixteen, The Sleepover Well you know Well, titled by.
Speaker 1: Jen It's either Malone or Maloney. I think it's Maloney now.
Speaker 4: The producers of these dcoms are usually pretty standard, fair, nothing worth pointing out, but in this case not so much. It's produced by Imagine Entertainment, the company owned by Ron Howard and Brian Grazer. Some of their biggest movies from the past include Apollo thirteen, A Beautiful Mine, eight Mile, The Da Vinci Code, and Frost Nixon.
Speaker 1: So this is of course a big step up for a d com.
Speaker 4: I liked Apollo thirteen because I'm being into space, but I was a little lost because I didn't see the first Apollo movies.
Speaker 1: I'm kidding, of course, I loved it.
Speaker 4: I think it's safe to call Imagine one of the most prolific and successful production companies of all time in Hollywood. The Slumber Party also found itself nominated for Outstanding Fiction Special at the Children's and Family Emmys. I did not know there was such a thing as the Children and Family Emmys, but hey.
Speaker 1: And critically this was a success too.
Speaker 4: It's commonly listed as one of the best original movies on Disney Plus, and most people see it as a delightful coming of age comedy. One website, latinamdia dot com wondered if this movie had officially brought back the d com.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's kind of an interesting way of putting it. It's also like, what about zombies and descendants and everything.
Speaker 4: But I get what they're saying where that those are so big and so grand now that it like just kind of bringing back a d com.
Speaker 3: So right without a bunch of music and yeah, big like set production stuff right.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, And as Sabrino is saying, this is not a musical, but it's recent, which means it's got to have a pretty good soundtrack. And I'm going to read you some of the people here, and if I know fifty percent of them, I'm gonna be happy, because chances are I'm not.
Speaker 1: It includes music.
Speaker 4: From Baby Pink, Nope, Earth Gang, uh huh, Brian McKnight heard him, The Black Keys, of course, and some classics like Hypnotize from Fleetwood Mac, one of the best bands ever, Searching from the Coasters another great Just Amazing, and holding Out for a Hero by Bonnie Tyle.
Speaker 1: Plus it also includes music from the cast.
Speaker 4: They sing I'm not a girl, not yet a woman and dreams and the start of something new. This was filmed in We might start saying this more and more and more Atlanta, Georgia, which is arguably modern day Canada. So that makes sense in that everything shoots there now. If you see anything Marvel, anything, Disney anything, whatever, chances are it's in Atlanta. But it's the first d com to shoot there since Let It Shine in twenty twelve, which we liked. Okay, Sabrina, it's modern day decom at least more recently than we're usually cover.
Speaker 1: So did you know about Slumber Party before it was homework?
Speaker 3: Not at all, Not at all. I feel I've been made me go. I am definitely out of touch with the newer dcoms besides the major obvious ones, right, rather.
Speaker 1: Than that the ten Poll Descendants and stuff, yep.
Speaker 3: Other than that, I feel very out of touch. And that's insane because we're on season three of watching.
Speaker 2: What the Hell Is wrong with me.
Speaker 4: I agree, but I also I don't know about you. This is gonna be a it's going to sound like I'm lazy, but I'm not. I like the not knowing. I don't want to get research.
Speaker 1: I want to go and we do that.
Speaker 2: Well, I do. I like because it helps.
Speaker 3: Even not knowing who the cast is helps, like go with like a clear like you know, trying to get a really unbiased opinion about this movie.
Speaker 1: I agree with you one thousand percent.
Speaker 4: Well, you yourselves can get acquainted with The Slumber Party anytime you want because it's streaming on Disney plus twenty four seven, three sixty five for five sixty four, eight fifteen, sixteen, twenty.
Speaker 1: Three forty two.
Speaker 4: Actually add any numbers you want there, it's there. You can watch it now, watch it later.
Speaker 1: That's totally up to you. And now everybody, let's get our.
Speaker 4: Ducklings in a row because your trigger word is synopsis. Four middle school best friends have a sleepover that takes a chaotic turn when they wake up with no memory of.
Speaker 1: The previous night.
Speaker 4: I do have to say before we get into it, this is a great decom plot. Like we said earlier, it's literally the Hangover. So there's many places this can go. And I honestly didn't know whether that's what they were going I meaning, obviously they nodded to Hangover, but I didn't know if it was like, oh, we're doing the Hangover for kids, if that was the plan, because it was at times a shot for shot kind of rip off of things they were doing. So I have to imagine that was part of the plan a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yes, of course, I mean it had to have been. And knowing that this isn't a like as soon as things started to happen, I'll tell you when it happens when we're going through the whole movie, but this was like okay, wait, like pause. This had to have been a production company that made this film and Disney bought it, is what it seemed like because it was done so differently than the regular Disney like everything that we're used to with Disney like original movies. There just is a big difference between this, and that helped cater it towards what they were wanting, which was a young hangover.
Speaker 1: First, and I don't I think it was.
Speaker 4: It was produced by Brian Grazer and Ron Howard, but I think it was produced for Disney, so I think.
Speaker 2: Was it really think?
Speaker 3: So, yeah, there's some things in it that are so anti Disney that.
Speaker 4: I know, but anti Disney, we know, not necessarily anti twenty twenty three Disney. Remember the new ones we've been seeing Prompact and things like that. I mean, they've been, they've been, I guess, so.
Speaker 3: I guess so yeah, I know, maybe we need to see like a couple of them in a row and not bounce back because it's kind of this. This jarred me a couple of times, like did they literally just say that?
Speaker 2: Like the Disney Channel just said that that was you know, I agree.
Speaker 1: When you're when you're going from you know, twitches right to something like this, it's like, wow, this was maybe same company.
Speaker 3: Even this, even if you hadn't seen the hangover, right from the start, them not remembering makes it feel like they were drugged, yeah yeah, or that they or that they ended up at a party and drank too much, like that's right from the start, anyone, you know. And then okay, well, but so this movie, I will say my early thoughts are I.
Speaker 2: Did like it. I did.
Speaker 3: It was hard to keep thinking this as a Disney Channel movie.
Speaker 1: That's fair enough.
Speaker 3: It was really hard for me to believe that this was a movie made for the channel versus it being like.
Speaker 2: Was it it was bad? Hair Day?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Was a movie that another.
Speaker 3: Production company made sold to the channel. That's what it seemed like to me. It did not seem like a movie that was made for the channel, not the Disney channel.
Speaker 2: I grew up. I'm not.
Speaker 4: I don't think this is our Disney Channel anymore because it is different.
Speaker 1: But I actually really enjoyed this movie.
Speaker 2: I did that Jesus felt like an older like this didn't feel as young as a lot of what the core d common.
Speaker 1: Was great. There was some out loud moments.
Speaker 3: Phenomenal like there was a part some parts where it started to like okay, like let's get to it, but most of it was I actually really enjoyed this movie. I was laughing the whole time. I thought all of the characters were so funny, so great. Early thoughts loved.
Speaker 1: It me too.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: The Slumber Party was directed by Veronica Rodriguez.
Speaker 4: She has directed a lot of shorts than two episodes of the Disney show.
Speaker 1: Gabby Duran and the Unsittables.
Speaker 4: Heard of it like you do, then a tween Christmas movie called Let's Get Married spelled m E r RI I ed get It get Married, and this.
Speaker 1: Was her last movie.
Speaker 4: But don't feel too bad for her because she's currently directing camp Rock three.
Speaker 2: For the show Oh Day, Guest Everybody.
Speaker 1: For my part.
Speaker 4: They haven't called U yet, so I'm guessing we're not gonna be in this And this is definitely an ensemble effort, but it stars Darby Camp as Megan, who, even at her young age, has been in an awful lot. She's already been in the business for a decade and shows like Graid's Anatomy and The Leftovers, but is best known as Little Chloe on Big Little Lies. She is also in The Christmas Chronicles Part two with Kurt Russell a Santa and Clifford the Big Red Dog, where she plays Red I'm kidding, I don't know who she plays.
Speaker 1: And Emmy Lee Wang plays Paige.
Speaker 4: She was well known in the Channel at the time, as well as Ivy Chen on Raven's Home. She's currently shooting a show called Hollywood Arts starring Daniella Monette and making her Hollywood debut. Here is Alex Cooper Cohen, who plays Vera This is currently her only credit, which is.
Speaker 2: No way insane to me. You guys gotta get on.
Speaker 1: She will was too funny or something.
Speaker 3: Yes, she is a standout little comedian. I thought she was incredible me too.
Speaker 1: Valentina Herrera plays Anna Maria.
Speaker 4: She's best known as Agent Opal on the Odd Squad TV show, but also played Young Widow in the Marvel movie Black Widow Dolla. The you is Mikey and he's a name all over the internet these days, a quote.
Speaker 1: Unquote internet darling, if that's the thing he was best known as.
Speaker 4: And I apologize because I'm going to mispronounce this even though it was one of my favorite movies of that year. Rui Hua, I think, is Howse said in Marvel's Shang Chi The Legend of the Ten Rings, which I thought was an unbelievably underrated Marvel movie. He is also a big part of Avatar the Last Airbender the TV show, and as a kid, was on the Nickelodeon show Hopefuls. But the best role he's had so far was on the TV show Penn fifteen. But it does seem likely you is going to be everywhere in the next few years, and two great castings on the adult side.
Speaker 1: Paula Pell is principal Peterson.
Speaker 4: Pell is one of the best comedy writers in the world, having worked on SNL for almost twenty years now, but in front of the camera, she's best known from the TV shows like Girl five, Eva, ap Bio, Love the Burbs, Big Mouth, and Inside Out two.
Speaker 1: She also wrote the upcoming movies.
Speaker 4: The Fifth Wheel starring Nicki Glazer, Fortune Fimster, and Kim Kardashian, and finally, The Great Titus Burgess plays Mesmer. Burgess broke out on the TV show Unbreakable Kemmy Schmidt, but also had been the narrator of the Teletubbies since twenty twenty two. He also appeared in the movies Dolomite Is My Name and the recent Snow White remake as Bashful. But for our listeners with little kids, they will be most excited to hear he was just announced as the voice of Gerald in an upcoming Elephant and Piggy TV show, and I couldn't be happier.
Speaker 1: I have no idea what any of that means.
Speaker 4: But even with two comedy heavyweights involved, it all means nothing. If the movie clocks over ninety minutes. We know that at Magical Rewind we like one run time and one run time only, and we're right and everyone else this is wrong.
Speaker 1: So let's find out what the Slumber Party will take from your day. It runs eighty two minutes.
Speaker 4: Oh people, all right, we're eight minutes off the target, but thankfully in the right direction. We could have pumped it up a little bit, guys, maybe added some shots of the sky or people driving, but who knows.
Speaker 1: Will let it be for now. I actually really liked the length of this movie.
Speaker 2: I did too.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 4: Now when it comes to this great, yeah, thank you. When it comes to the script's cover page, we have two writers. First up is Jen Maloney, the writer of the book we talked about. She's a former Hollywood publicist turned author of middle school grade novels. This is our only movie or TV credit. And then we have Edie Fay. Much like the director of this movie, Faye is the Disney Channel.
Speaker 1: Go to of the moment. Really like to get her on the show.
Speaker 4: She started her career writing the TV show Fuller House, then writing the Jojo Siwa movie The j Team, but will now have credits.
Speaker 1: On both Camp Rock three and Zombies five.
Speaker 4: Yiow she is to the writing of new d coms what Malachi Barton is too starring in them.
Speaker 1: It's so true.
Speaker 4: It's time to board the Hedgehog mobile and dive right into slumber party.
Speaker 1: Here we go, people.
Speaker 4: We open by intercutting between two completely different energies. We glide into a quiet, average suburban street with the William tell overture playing kids on bikes people power walking. Then we jump into a loud overhead shot of three kids riding a hedgehog go kart, blasting rock music for the entire neighborhood to hear, and eventually our two worlds collide. As the animalmobile passes through the quiet neighborhood, dogs start barking and people are staring.
Speaker 1: This is clearly disrupting the piece.
Speaker 4: Eventually, the hedgehog car crashes into a divider, sending a young girl soaring through the air, screaming towards a coffee shop and an innocent patron eating a donut. The camera freezes while she's mid air. She looks through the camera and introduces herself as Megan Bernadette Brookman. She confirms that we just saw three teenagers riding a giant hedgehog and assumes the audience has a lot of questions, like how she lost one eyebrow, and so she says, well, let's start the beginning, and the movie rewinds all the way to one day earlier.
Speaker 1: That's when we're at Anna Maria's house. Megan is still narrating.
Speaker 4: She introduces her best friend, Anna Maria, the birthday girl, and the reason she's mid air heading for the smelly dumpster. She's decorating her house with birthday decorations just one week before high school starts. Now we're at Page's house. Megan introduces us to Paige, her other best friend, fearless and loyal and has a turtle. In second grade, when Nia Thomas bullied Meghan for not having a mom, Paige convinced Na to cut off her own ponytail. Page asks her brother Mikey for a ride, and when he says no, she casually blackmails him.
Speaker 1: Now we're at Veronica's house.
Speaker 4: We meet curly haired Veronica as she straps on her crossbody fanny pack. Meghan says their friendship is fairly recent and I immediately want to know more about Veronica. We are now back at Megan's with the well she's got both eyebrows. At this point, the overthinker is packing and keeps talking to camera. She reveals both her parents are therapists, just as her dad calls her from downstairs to make sure her tiny, tiny green cell phone is charged and page has arrived. She's the only teenager in Atlanta that doesn't have a smartphone, and no one will ever see this phone of shame.
Speaker 1: This was another movie I.
Speaker 4: Think Quince did it, but they did it more, I should say, where there's only two times in the movie where she breaks the fourth wall and talks to the camera right, And so this was another one where I was like, I liked how they did it. Frankly, I thought maybe more would have been too much, And I liked that she did do.
Speaker 1: It, but maybe one or two times more. I don't know. It was strange.
Speaker 3: It seemed like I guess there's really no time that they did the voiceover, and I think that some of the action in the movie wasn't necessarily needed, that they there could have been that breakthrough and being like okay, pause, so like you know what I mean, instead of some of the things that happened. I feel like maybe even like the whole like when we get into like where this hedgehog situation comes from, that area could have been if it was like in the middle, and then at the very.
Speaker 2: End, like it happened again in the end. Even one or two times.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, yeah, like even just a moment or two of her looking at the camera like giving a look like can you believe this is happening?
Speaker 1: What the hell is going on? Like something like that.
Speaker 4: But yeah, they they did it at the beginning, and then they do it kind of once at the end where they come back to her flying through the air.
Speaker 1: But that was it. Yeah, for breaking the fourth.
Speaker 3: We usually we get like a voiceover as we're skimming through the house of finding out who this main character was.
Speaker 2: That's usually when the voiceover happened.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, pages downstairs talking to Megan's dad's one dad giving her positive affirmations and the other reminds her that her audition for freshman flute solos are next week. He hands her a personalized sweater that says, don't hate me because I'm flutiful.
Speaker 1: I want that.
Speaker 3: This is when I don't know if this happened to you. Maybe I'm just jumping into the spre disease. But this is when I went at first, this is like, okay, different type, different era of dcoms.
Speaker 2: At first, when she said.
Speaker 3: My that I only have or that I don't have a mom, talking about her best friend who stuck up for her, I went into, okay, we have a mom that has passed.
Speaker 1: We got a dead mom.
Speaker 2: We've got a dead mom.
Speaker 1: Damn me.
Speaker 3: Then it was oh, no, she doesn't have a mom because she has two dads, and that's very different.
Speaker 2: That's not something we have seen, just like right out in which obviously makes so much sense. In twenty twenty three.
Speaker 4: Now, the girls are driving away in Page's brother's truck, swerving a bit through the hills. Megan thinks her dad would call for an amber alert if they knew Paige's brother was driving. Page says he's allowed to drive siblings, and since she's pretty much her sister, it's cool. They eventually arrive at Anna Maria's house, and as Meghan gets out of the truck, she spots Jake Ramirez and his Perfect teeth riding his bike towards her with his friends, and we get some slow mo as Back at One by Brian McKnight plays Megan is in a trance with the older boy, completely missing Page's warning that her skirt is stuck in the door, and just then, when Page's brother drives away, Megan's skirt rips off. She quickly pulls her shirt down to cover herself. Jake shakes his head and walks his bike back into his house. Page covers Meghan with her flannel and they quickly scurry away. We're now inside Anna Maria's house. Her divorced parents are sternly explaining to Anna Maria that Veronica is going to be your stepsister. She's a sweet girl, and they appreciate that she's been included in their slumber party tonight. Anna Maria is mad that her dad is getting remarried on her birthday, but he says it was the only day available at the venue before her new baby sister is born, which she.
Speaker 1: Also seems rather peeved about.
Speaker 4: So you've got divorced dad who impregnated I'm guessing his mistress.
Speaker 3: They don't get into that, but they don't get into it, but something the thoughts are there.
Speaker 4: The thoughts are there, and now he's marrying her and he's so, yeah, you don't. But they also show that they have a good co parenting relationship, so yeah, maybe he's not a mistress.
Speaker 2: The way that they acted this out was so positive.
Speaker 3: It made me go, wait, is this the new Is this lady the one that's pregnant?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 3: Is it like they they did not have like a beef, but they were a great co parente.
Speaker 2: I'm for the positive co parenting of course, of course, or it looks.
Speaker 1: Tough, I'm sure with that.
Speaker 4: Her dad says he'll drop off Veronica after her park Core lesson and be back in the morning for their annual birthday hike. Anna Maria says she's not joining this year, and her dad gets a very upset. Obviously, they all start arguing, with Anna really letting her dad have it. She says, you can force me to go to your wedding, You can even force me to have your new kid at my party, but you can't force me to go on some stupid hike on my birthday. Then the doorbell rings and his dad answers it to see Megan and Paige. Megan announces that she has pants in her bag, and.
Speaker 1: He leaves and walks to his car.
Speaker 4: Now in Anna's basement, the girls are following a Richard Simmons exercise video. Anna says they're offbeat and sits to snack on talkies. Megan notices her new shoes, and Anna says they were a guilt gift from her mom. But more importantly, they need to do something big since they're going into high school soon. Anna suggests they break into West Oak and free those baby ducks from the science lab.
Speaker 1: She's apparently obsessed with these little baby ducks.
Speaker 4: Paige suggests connecting the shopping carts at Target with zip ties. Anna remembers when Mikey woke them up at two am to help him fill his car with watermelons, but Megan doesn't remember that, and that's when she realizes at some point they had a sleepover without her. She pretends to be fine about it, but wants to know what else they've done without her. They get instantly serious, calling her Megster and Meggie Pooh. They say, don't take this wrong, but well, you get scared to try new things. So Megan says, tonight it's gonna be different. She's gonna step out of her comfort zone and try new things for freshman year.
Speaker 1: Tonight is going to be epic.
Speaker 4: Megan starts pulling out VHS tapes, should we learn to hip hop with Brian Austin Green or a.
Speaker 1: Movie called Tommy Boy, And that's why I was like, oh my god, I'm.
Speaker 2: So old, I know. I was like, dang.
Speaker 3: Also, this is another thing, not necessarily learn hip hop with Brian Austin Green, but pulling out Tommy Boy, which is definitely not a Disney in any sense type movie, was interesting to me for to be now talked about on Disney Bluss, because what do you think kids are gonna do?
Speaker 2: They're gonna start researching.
Speaker 4: I also am pretty amazed though that it's VHS tapes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're not even DVDs.
Speaker 4: Like they have a v I'd be amazed if a girl who's supposed to be fourteen in twenty twenty three has any idea what a VHS tape is or how to use a VHS player, or anyone even has a VHS player.
Speaker 3: We could dive into it now. But this entire basement whose house is this? Do they live in their grandmother's house? Because this is not this is not somebody who has, you know, fourteen year old fifteen year old kids. This is not the like I need to know whose house. This is because I think they've they've.
Speaker 4: Inherited mom's house, but it is it.
Speaker 2: But it's Aaron Ana Maria's grandmother's house.
Speaker 3: Because this is it's it's a seventies driven basement. This is not a two thousand and twenty three basement of anyone of modern age that's not holding on to the nostalgia of things like this, the.
Speaker 2: Couch, the carpet rugs.
Speaker 3: The crowch shade blanket.
Speaker 2: All I was like jotting down all I mean what.
Speaker 5: This is when was stuck in a time warp, which is awesome for us, but not awesome for these fourteen year olds now in the early twenty twelve.
Speaker 4: Although isn't isn't all this stuff super like hip and retro?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 4: Isn't the nineties back and the eighties are back? Isn't that like the cool thing if you're fourteen or fifteen?
Speaker 2: Maybe? But like who still has that? Like who is so?
Speaker 3: Like you're telling me her mom has a modern nice upstairs.
Speaker 2: The kitchen was modern. All of that was kind.
Speaker 3: But they went into our local like through stores and and like all those places and they and they bought this for the kids to play.
Speaker 1: No, that was my parents. Basically we had the VHS player and all that kind.
Speaker 2: Of yeah, this was that it was different.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, I agree, I agree.
Speaker 3: I can't even imagine how much it smelled like that. Stuff smells like mothballs and nasty all over.
Speaker 1: In eighth grade.
Speaker 4: Yes, by junior year, it'll smell like weed. Anna suggests they toylet we burnt exactly. Anna suggests they toilet paper Jake Ramirez's house, but Megan says no and pretend she doesn't even know who that is.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: Then, Veronica barges downstairs, and A apologizes for being late.
Speaker 1: She had a Park Corp class. Then she falls down the stairs.
Speaker 4: This is Anna's stepsister, but Anna clarifies not technically until tomorrow. Veronica reveals that she was homeschooled, and Anna is upset that these three amigos are now some freakish forsome the girl's sidebar. Megan and Page tell Anna that she's being too harsh. They should just have some fun. Anna just wants a normal family, which Paige and Megan take personally.
Speaker 1: Of course. Megan has two dads and Page is a half sibling.
Speaker 4: The girls inform Veronica that everything is good and then Anna's little sister, Penny screams from under the plow Penny.
Speaker 1: Under the pool table to scare him. Everyone jumps.
Speaker 4: She annoyingly begs to be included, and even though she can't keep a secret.
Speaker 1: They say no, get out, so she runs out of the basement. That night.
Speaker 4: Now outside, we're in the Magnificent Mesmer's van. He's an actor moonlighting as a hypnotist, being told by his agent that he once again did not get a callback for a role. He wants to be taken seriously as an actor, but for now, he pulls up across the street from Anna's house.
Speaker 1: To perform as a hypnotist. When he knocks in the door, Penny answers.
Speaker 4: Penny says she doesn't believe in hypnotism, but would be into it if he can make Anna punch herself in the face. He threatens to give her a mustache, and so she screams for her mom, who then lets him in.
Speaker 1: Apparently this was all Veronica's idea. We're now in the basement.
Speaker 4: Mesmer joins the girls and tells them they will be shocked and amazed. He immediately has them lay on the floor and to follow his directions to find the depths of their subconscious and expand their minds. They fool her out at first, but two eventually follows instructions. He says he will tap into their authentic cells and the hypnotism will only break when he calls the birthday girl later with a trigger word, which is like, okay, maybe at the end of the night, do you have to It's like, I'll call you a week later, then they'll remember everything. He starts a countdown, and when he gets to one and snaps, the screen goes black.
Speaker 1: It's now the next morning.
Speaker 4: In the basement, Megan has passed out on the floor with the Richard Simmons video playing loudly on the TV. The room is thrashed with writing on the walls and the washing machine overflowing with bubbles. Penny walks out of the bathroom and cheerfully says good morning, as if nothing's wrong, But once Megan enters, she notices one of her eyebrows is missing. She panics, tries covering it with her hair, then notices she's wearing oh her love Interests skull hoodie, but she loves it. She's smelling it. It smells like him, So weird. On the other end of the spectrum. Then she smells something very strange and sees a bunch of baby ducks in the bathtub, and then it says WTD on the screen, what the duck?
Speaker 1: So, yeah, they're even playing on the F word trow. Yeah.
Speaker 3: At first was kind of funny, and then when it pops up again, you're like, Okay, they do.
Speaker 4: It a couple times of different different versions of this. Yeah, and when it.
Speaker 3: Gets to this part, I'll tell you what my real fills about it are.
Speaker 4: She runs to wake up Anna Marie, but realizes she's just a bunch of pillows under the blanket, so instead wakes up Page and Veronica, who are very confused and groggy in addition to a huge Veronica was here smeared on the wall and brown. Veronica looks down to see that she now has on long press on nils. Megan grabs a phone to call Anna Maria, and Page recognizes her hoodie as Jake Ramirez is nobody has any memories from the night. Anna isn't answering, in fact, her phone is still in the basement. But the scariest development, Meghan notices Page has blood on her hands. Page rushes to wash her hands and vehemently denies that she murdered Hannah, which is great. They sneak upstairs and see Anna's mom on the phone expressing complicated emotions about her ex husband getting remarried today, and once they tiptoe to Anna's room, they realize she's not there either. Page thinks maybe she wanted a hike with her dad, but her hiking boots are still there. Page then looks out the window to see Jake Ramiers's house has been toilet papered top to bottom, and again no one has any recollection of doing it. They barge in a Penny's room, but she has no idea where Anna is either. She threatens to tell her mom, but will keep quiet if Meghan does her math homework for a month and Page tags.
Speaker 1: Her in cool Instagram posts.
Speaker 4: Though annoyed, Megan and Page degree and the girl's head back to the basement. Page then tells Vernica to go clean her name off the wall, and they realize it's actually Newtella, thank God not poop. Page decides that the first they have to call the hypnotist to get the trigger word, but he doesn't pick up.
Speaker 1: Veronica leaves a voice message.
Speaker 4: Megan wants to call her dads, but Page argues they aren't kids anymore.
Speaker 1: They need to find Anna on their own before the wedding. At four pm.
Speaker 4: Veronica fanciers herself as a detective and instructs them to follow the clues. So they grab the ducks from the bathtub and head to the high school, where they'll need to break in to return all those little duckies. With the doors locked, though, Veronica starts to stretch for Parker, but instead Page calls in reinforcements her brother, Mikey and his truck. Veronica is mesmerized by him as Page breaks down everything that's happened so far. Veronica attempts to introduce herself, but Page is not having it. It only takes a minute, but somehow magically, he's able to open the door from the inside. Now inside the school, the kids hide from Principal Peterson, who is barking orders at the janitor. Homeschooled, Veronica loves being in a public school and Page as a plan. Veronica and her brother will return the duck while she and Megan look around for Anna. We're in the science lab. Now, Veronica falls even more for Mike when she realizes he also loves high school musical and they start to sing the start of Something New together. Wow, Paige and Mab Great little East dregg not even a little eas dreg a giant honkinga StrEG. Paige and Meghan walk in and are furious because the ducks have escaped their box, so they work together to recapture them all and in the process find one of Anna's shoes, remember the guilt shoes she had, but only one. They sneak into the hallway and almost get caught by the janitor. They make it to the staircase, but are followed by one lone little duckling. Veronica wants to keep it the page threatens to turn it in nuggets. Veronica awards Page to be nice. She's about to be Anna Maria's sister, but could end up being her sister too if you know what she means. She then starts thrusting her hips in every direction. They're about to fight when the principal and the janitor hear them yelling. Principal Peterson then announces over the loudspeaker to the children trespassing. You can run, but we will They'll find you. And now the girls are freaking out, rushing to leave, but end up face to face with the school staff members. The principal says she just wants to talk, but they scream and run away again. Megan says one of them needs to distract the principal and janitor. They retreat to the bathroom and Veronica volunteers to distract them because she's homeschooled and.
Speaker 1: Has no permanent record.
Speaker 4: She sprints it to the hall, screaming and smashing in the lockers while the others run into Mikey's car as he's waiting as a getaway driver. He asks where Veronica is, and on cue, she comes running out, followed close behind by the principal and the janitor. She just makes it to the truck and Mikey drives off. Now on the road, they admit they didn't find Anna, just her shoe, which they notice has orange.
Speaker 1: And maroon paint on the soles. Those are west Oak's rivals. The Hillsides ooh, they're colors.
Speaker 4: Apparently west O captured their principal and they never found him.
Speaker 1: Some strangs. They're like they never found him, like, is he dead? So they've been looking for revenge ever since.
Speaker 4: Yes, So they decide to check out this hillside for any side of Anna Maria. When they pull up to enemy territory, the girls decide to go check inside the high school. Mikey also kept the duck for Veronica, a telltale sign that maybe he has a crush too, which I guess is kind of weird because he drives and she's in the eighth grade.
Speaker 1: Does that not bother anybody else? I mean, come on, she's twelve and he's sixteen or seventeen.
Speaker 2: She's fourteen, probably.
Speaker 1: How can be?
Speaker 4: Okay, So this is where it messed me up because I was twelve and I just turned thirteen when I started freshman year in high school.
Speaker 2: So they're not how it is anymore? Really, Yeah, okay, No, the kids are. The kids are fourteen.
Speaker 1: When they go to middle when they go to high school, they're fourteen.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, so fourteen and seventeen is still not a little creepy for me.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, it's not fifteen, Okay. A lot of the kids start like they do the they like, especially boys.
Speaker 1: Fifteen is freshman.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there can be kids that get their license in between freshmen and sophomore year.
Speaker 1: Oh my, God, I graduated later. Now I graduated high school at seventeen me too.
Speaker 2: That was the norm. That was like normal, not anymore, all right.
Speaker 4: Meanwhile, at a loss for I'm getting old because I see two kids together and I'm like, stay away from her, like I know, well.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's it's how it's just so different.
Speaker 3: I couldn't believe it because I'm having to deal that with with Monroe. She's on the cusp and like I did an extra year because I didn't.
Speaker 2: I was that way.
Speaker 3: I was seventeen for an entire month and a half in college before.
Speaker 2: I turned eighteen, right, and John, it's in September August.
Speaker 1: I'm August, so that's what And.
Speaker 2: We would definitely have been that.
Speaker 3: That was so normal for like you know that our generation versus now, it's like that's like unheard of. They were like Monroe's going to be an entire year but younger.
Speaker 2: And it's true.
Speaker 3: Her last year went to she turned four and the next day I did her birthday little party was the first week of school. The next day her friend turned five, I was doing her fourth and her next part.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, she's going to be a year behind.
Speaker 3: That's the way to do it, and so you just it's just so different now, parents just don't do that anymore.
Speaker 1: All right, fair enough.
Speaker 4: Meanwhile, at a loss of how to make things work, Meghan here's the marching band or what she calls her people, and she decides to ask them about Anna. While hiding in the bushes watching the very good and very serious squad practice, Veronica's about to sneeze, but holds it in and farts, and then she sneezes again. So now they're caught by some of the band kids and dragged out in front of everybody. Veronica tries to dance battle the mascot, but the Hillside band leader recognizes Meghan and threatens to charge them with grand theft Hedgehog. Apparently the girls stole their team float and show them video proof from the night before. The three girls admit they don't remember anything or where the hedgehog float is, and when the band leader says they have what the girls want, Megan thinks they mean Anna Maria and if they bring the float to ground Town Cafe at two pm, they'll make the swap. And again, all this directly from the hangover, and the little duckling is the baby I mean it's it's the hangover.
Speaker 1: So the girls now have a new mission. They need to find that float.
Speaker 4: They then walk down the street with the duck who's now named Bill, following along. They all start fighting and Megan yells at them they need to start acting like adults here and focus. They promised they'll find her, and Veronica's phone starts ringing it was the agency that hired Mesmer. Oh, they find out that he is working as an actor at the Okay, I'm gonna try to say this right, Chatahoochie. I think it's the Chattahoochie Onion Fest. So off they go again. When she then says it takes a certain kind of person to frequent an onion fest, I was like, that's me because, like, not just onion fest, garlic fest, avocado festivals.
Speaker 1: I am in for all those things anything. Oh dude.
Speaker 4: One of the first times I Sue and I held hands as a couple was at the the Avocado Festival. It was just like that, it's it's near it's near Uh it's near Santa Barbara, not Santa Barbara. Yeah, yeah, it is. It's near Santa Barbara. It's near Carpenteria.
Speaker 2: Oh, you got it.
Speaker 1: It's in carpentry. It's in carpentrya I think. And it's the Avocado Festival. And I was like, I'm gonna take Sue's hand. We like, She's like he took my hand as we walked across the street at the Avocado Festival.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Well, you know what the funny is.
Speaker 3: What I think is there's a there's a Tomali Festival in San Diego.
Speaker 2: My dad goes to almost every year.
Speaker 3: Hell, he says, it's somebody brings back some that are just phenomenal.
Speaker 4: And it's all the food made with the stuff, and there's like characters dressed like I'm an avocado. Yeah, I'll do it all I'll do it all day and always have bands. It's like you know where it's like Johnny and the Guacamole's like stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Yes, hell, yes, so cool. I love that. I gotta go to one now.
Speaker 1: Got so much fun. There's some we'll double date. We'll double date at at.
Speaker 2: The Maybe Jordan will hold my hand.
Speaker 4: Hey, well we'll see. I might hold Jordan's because we're getting to know each other better.
Speaker 3: Yes, you guys are and you are so much alike and it's scary Uh.
Speaker 4: So they get to the they get to the Onion I said avocado. They get to the Onion Festival by the way on bikes, which makes you wonder where did they get bikes?
Speaker 2: No, I was the same way.
Speaker 3: Like wait a minute, come on, like they have to be stolen. You have to have like the smallest scene or something something.
Speaker 1: So yes, the mystery bikes have arrived.
Speaker 4: The Onion Fest is packed, but they have to find a way inside, and they decide to go Mikey style. They sneak in through a back gate and accidentally find themselves on the stage for the Onion Munch sounds weird. It's an onion anything with munch, it's an onion eating contest. They're ushered to a table and Veronica Spot's mesmer and costume as the Great Onion Page gets up to leave, but one of the older male contestants starts laughing.
Speaker 1: He knew the girls were in the right place. The cooking contest.
Speaker 4: Is right over there, because there's always that one asshole at the onion contest. The onion at the Onion Fest page gets them by firing back, and the porta Potti is over there, you piece of sh and so They allude to the fact that she's about to say piece a curry card.
Speaker 3: I know this is when I'm starting my I'm starting to wait a minute.
Speaker 4: Wait, wait, that's true, wait to fight minute, because that's what's happened.
Speaker 2: She's interrupted by an adult and to an adult.
Speaker 1: Which is yes, So is this Is this the closest.
Speaker 4: We've gotten to an actual swear in a dcom YEA, I think it has to.
Speaker 1: I think so too.
Speaker 3: There's one that I'm trying. It's trying to pop in my brain that I it isn't as close as this though, Like she's actually saying like this is.
Speaker 1: She's getting into it, starting it.
Speaker 4: And now the MC is reading off the rules for the fourth Annual Onion Munch. They eat one pound of raw onions and when they finish that, they get another pound, and the person.
Speaker 1: Who eats the most in two minutes wins. They should just say, eat as many onions as what's the.
Speaker 4: Point of a pal I don't understand me, As many onions as you can in two minutes.
Speaker 1: It's that simple. If you can't eat anymore, you go directly to the fryar holding tank. And this brings me to a very quick story.
Speaker 4: So Susan and I were at the mall, at the local mall one day and we walk in and a new hot dog place had.
Speaker 1: Opened in the mall.
Speaker 4: And we love hot dogs, big hot dogs, which we don't eat them because they're bad for you, but we love hot dogs.
Speaker 1: I could live on hot dogs, total Desert Island food. Love hot dogs.
Speaker 4: I know they're made from all the ass ends and elbows of every other animal, but don't care.
Speaker 1: They're delicious. So we get there.
Speaker 2: And reason I go to baseball games.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Oh my god.
Speaker 4: So I get there and there's they're setting up for a hot.
Speaker 1: Dog eating contest.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh.
Speaker 1: And they come up to Sue and I'm like, do you guys want to sit in?
Speaker 4: I wanted to, Sue did not, but I was like, no, we're not gonna.
Speaker 1: Okay, well watch though, We've got to watch.
Speaker 4: So we sit down and there's some of these professional hot dog eaters, Like there's this one woman who I ended up following on Instagram who just eat for a living, and then there's a bunch of other people, and then there's this one woman, little old lady, probably in her seventies, late seventies, who's sitting down there, and they obviously came up to her at the mall like they did to Sue and I, and said, do you want to join a hot dog eating contest?
Speaker 1: And she went sure? And during the hot dog eating contest, she ate one hot dog slowly. She was just eating her lunch.
Speaker 6: They gave her a free hot dog, and Sue and I were looking at each other like, that's brilliant. What the hell are we We went and bought hot dogs? We should have said yes and sat there with this woman and just casually she was like looking around watching everybody eat and she's.
Speaker 2: Just hot dog, keep going.
Speaker 1: It was brilliant. I'm like, why did we not?
Speaker 4: And we're looking at each other like she literally she's just having her lunch for free.
Speaker 1: And like, what the hell are we?
Speaker 4: That's the wisdom that comes with age, Sabrina, because it was like.
Speaker 2: What the hell was that good? I like that. I thought you were going to tell me that. She like was like a no tired dog eating champion.
Speaker 1: She came out.
Speaker 3: Again, Yeah, crazy, I just had one sat there and say they had a front road seat.
Speaker 2: She was able to clap.
Speaker 4: She was not you could tell she wasn't trying to rush. She's like, I'm gonna slowly sit here and eat my hot dog while you're choking these down.
Speaker 1: It was brilliant.
Speaker 4: So back at the onion eating contest, Veronica clearly wants to win the bell rings and off they go. Page is crying, obviously, and she and Meghan call it quits. In the end, it comes down to Veronica competing under the name Esther Chen and that rude old man contestant while Bonnie Tyler's I need a hero, I need a hero, which is what I hear every.
Speaker 1: Time I eat hot dogs or onions or anything in bulk.
Speaker 4: But while in the loser's fire, Page and Megan look over and they spot Mesmer dressed as the giant onion while eating a giant onion again. The old Chauvinis then throws up and is quickly disqualified. Veronica wins, but someone has exposed to her as a fraud. She's clearly not. Ester Chen to escape the situation and get to Mesmer. Page and Meghan yell at Veronica to parkour, so she jumps off the stage and lands flat on her face.
Speaker 1: And I watched it three times. It was such a funny beat.
Speaker 2: I really thought we were gonna get some cool me I did. I really was like, this is Veronica's moment, this is it.
Speaker 3: They're finally letting her show her skills.
Speaker 4: It with the way she went, just the splat and she's just my god, it was so much, really really funny. Beat Mesmer, of course, has now escaped. Now the girls are riding their bikes, stolen bikes, magical bikes, whatever, bikes any where do they come from? Bikes down a nearby street, and Veronica announced that she's never eating an onion again. Page says they do have one more clue, though, and Meghan is wearing it, so they head to Jake's house and es skateboarding outside. When they arrive, Megan panics she can't believe she's still wearing a sweatshirt with one eyebrow and onion breath. They have an awkward exchange and he's surprised they don't remember anything from last night. He thought they came back to get what's in his garage. He opens the door and it's the Hedgehog mobile. Hedgy they did steal it. Page says they got to get this thing to Groundtown Cafe by two pm to get Anna Maria. But Jake knows they won't make it by foot, so he's gonna have to help them out. They move the hedgehog to the street and Megan puts on a helmet.
Speaker 1: She is ready.
Speaker 4: They're doing this for Anna Maria. Jake pushes the float down the hill and the hedgehog starts gaining downhill speed. They're all screaming. The hedgehog's going twenty six, twenty five, twenty four, it's all they're breaking the speed limit, which is twenty five, and they almost hit a guy with a leaf blower. That attire pops and Page jumps off. Then Veronica falls off. It's just Megan now, who, like we saw in the opening credits, crashes into the sidewalk and goes flying into the air. Then this is where she breaks the fourth wall again and the last and only time. The screen freezes again on midair Megan who apologizes to the audience saying she still doesn't have any answers. Then she lands in a dumpster. All this was very clever. She wonders if she's dead and if this is heaven, but Jake says it was awesome and helps her out of the dumpster. Everyone's impressed, but Meghan is tired of being dirty, reckless, hungry, and stuck with Veronica. She just puts her eyebrowback. Paige says, they're almost at the finish line. They just need to trade the Hedgehog for Anna Maria, and so now it's time for the swap. The Marching Band is already there and ready to take back the float. And so when it's time to hand over what the girls want, it's not Anna, it's Megan's green, tiny, crappy flip phone.
Speaker 1: I didn't even think it was a flip phone. It was just a phone.
Speaker 4: Yes, someone dropped it at the school last night, but Veronic and Paige say it's not theirs.
Speaker 1: Eventually, Megan admits it's hers.
Speaker 4: The Marching Band as if it's an iPhone negative twelve and someone even ass if it texts and hieroglyphics.
Speaker 1: Funny, funny dialogue. The band literally marches.
Speaker 4: Off, disgusted and they love how They're like, wait, you thought we kidnapped a kid?
Speaker 1: Are like, what are you thinking? Yeah? Crazy.
Speaker 4: Meghan now knows that this is officially very, very bad. It's time to tell An Maria's parents. Paige agrees, Jake and the girls all ride back to a Maria's house with the duck safely in Veronica's fanny pack. When they get there and a Maria's mom isn't home and they don't want to tell her dad because it's his wedding day. Veronica was wondering who took the video proof of them with the hedgehog.
Speaker 1: Jake says it was probably Penny. She was with them.
Speaker 4: Page tells Megan and Jake to deal with the basement and Veronica and her will handle the little girl. We're now in the basement. Megan and Jake small talk and I don't know why. I have no I can't explain it.
Speaker 1: Loved this couple.
Speaker 2: I I loved them.
Speaker 3: Loved them a sequel just about their their life together.
Speaker 1: I love how they wrote this.
Speaker 4: They wrote Jake where yes, he's supposed to be cool, but there was nothing about him trying to be cool. He was vulnerable, he was at it was. I loved this couple, I really did.
Speaker 3: I loved the nod to the old hot guy, like the like you know of a different age where he brushes his hair.
Speaker 1: Back, he does well, he.
Speaker 2: Doesn't do that the the older generation of the hot guy that brushes his hair back instead of the hair. I still can't get over that. But oh, he was so adorable.
Speaker 3: They played this so well together, their caistry, they were so cute, like honestly one of my favorite couples that we've seen in a d com on.
Speaker 1: They're up there with you.
Speaker 2: I mean they might, you know.
Speaker 1: For the for the Awards show, agree with you well.
Speaker 4: They small talk with her, explaining that she's had to try a lot of new things over the last twenty four hours.
Speaker 1: She wonders if this is what high school feels like.
Speaker 4: He admits he avoided basketball tryouts because he was afraid he wouldn't make the team, but now maybe he will. He smiles at Megan, and their knees touched. He goes in for a kiss, but then she jumps up. They should probably just keep cleaning. Before missus Guerrero gets home Penny's room, a doll's arm is being destroyed in a blender. Penny's tied to the bed and screaming, not my misty. Macintosh Page threatens her either tell them where Anie Marie is or she'll cut the doll's hair off, But before Penny could even say anything, Verona cuts off a braid and puts it in the blender. Now freaked, Penny swear she doesn't know where Ana Maria is, but Veronica doesn't see a real tear. She thinks she's lying and grabs one of Penny's toy horses. Outside Ana Maria's, Meghan and Jake throw away the last trash bag from the basement. He says he'll see her around, but she has a feeling she'll be unlocked down until her twenties. He promises to ride by her window and check on her. As he walks away, he says, it's true, she is flutiful. Then she runs back and kisses him, and I'm saying it right now.
Speaker 1: Favorite Kissing the decom Oh.
Speaker 4: My gosh, well met Favorite kissing the Deacon love.
Speaker 2: This was the perfect of their correct age.
Speaker 1: Yep, kiss perfect.
Speaker 2: It was the perfect one.
Speaker 3: It wasn't too much and truly this was it reminded me of like my first kissys and it was like, okay, we like it wasn't. It was like it was in and out, very short and sweet, got it done, Like next session could be better and longer, but this was we just.
Speaker 2: Got it done. And you're so cute and I really like you and oh my gosh, we just kissed.
Speaker 4: It was so great and I love how she walks over and she then says one of the coolest lines ever. She says, I think you forgot this and then kisses him so great. I just I literally clapped when they gave me. I didn't never do that, and I'm like, am I creepy for doing this?
Speaker 1: But I'm looting for this. I'm rooting for this thirteen year old couple.
Speaker 4: And the best dcom kiss I've seen so far, bar none again.
Speaker 2: I loved it because it was short.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was her that decided to get the courage to go ahead and go for it, and he was so like a gentleman like kiss. And then when it was done, he looked at her and he was happy.
Speaker 4: And he like and they both turned and they're both smiling as they walk away.
Speaker 1: It was it was great.
Speaker 4: It was It was a I hate to say this again because it sounds creepy, but a wonderful decom kiss.
Speaker 1: It really was.
Speaker 4: It was so abdoor I said it out loud. I'm like, there, it is favorite kissing a DCM.
Speaker 2: So yes, because it wasn't like oh, and it wasn't awkward.
Speaker 1: Nope.
Speaker 3: Like I said, their chemistry together as two actors was wonderful.
Speaker 1: It was great.
Speaker 4: It was absolutely great. Favorite kiss so far and dcom We are back in Penny's room now. Megan enters just as these stuffed horses on its way to the microwave. Okay, she breaks at that and tells them everything the story goes. In order to prove to her sister that she could keep her mouth shut, Penny hid a note that was left in the bathroom mirror this morning. It was from Anna Maria saying she went on a B day hike alone. With that, they run off, leaving Penny tied to the bed. We're now out on a hiking trail. The girls all scream out for Anna Maria and they find her sleeping on a waterfront park bench. She has two tampons inside her nostrils. She says she's good, but asks why she's wearing Santa pants. She sees Megan's eyebrow and the duck in Veronica's pocket and is obviously even more confused. Anna's face hurts and she's bloody and has no idea why. All she knows is she couldn't sleep because all she was thinking about were the terrible things she said to her dad. She came outside to sort things out. She loves her dad and wants them to be happy. The girls say it's okay to freak out about her family because it's changing. They apologize to one another, and now it's time to get Anna Maria to her dad's wedding. It starts in thirty minutes, which I would have given them way more time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it didn't.
Speaker 3: We've got one hour. Yeah, at least an hour.
Speaker 1: Something because they had to deliver the thing at two. I get it.
Speaker 4: But okay, because all of a sudden, now Anne Maria has magically made it to the wedding, just in time, the same way they got the magical bikes.
Speaker 2: Apparently.
Speaker 4: They're showered, the hair and makeup is done, she's no longer smelly, her face doesn't look bruised, she's got no blood, and she tells her dad that she's really happy for him, and they hug. Veronica arrives in a teal green fluffy coat suit and calls Mikey.
Speaker 1: They're co parenting the duck.
Speaker 4: Veronica reveals she'll be staying at Anna's place while their parents hunt and says she'll try to stay out of her way, but Anna Maria says, no need. They're cool now, and your mom isn't the beast troll with the bad highlights?
Speaker 1: I said she was.
Speaker 4: Anna Maria's dad then tells Anna there's a surprise waiting for her by the altar, and it's Megan and Page holding a cake, singing Happy Birthday. They hug and freak out. They hug and freak out that Megan kissed Jake. Veronica says her mom also said yes for another slumber party at her house, just as the waiter asked if they need plates, and oh man, it's Mesmer.
Speaker 1: What luck.
Speaker 4: He's about to give them the trigger word, but Anna Maria pulls them aside. Whatever they remember, they can't hold it against each other. Friendship first, and so they make the deal. Mesmer says the trigger word is freshman, and suddenly they instantly remember everything. Then we get the credits, and just like the Hangover, we see clips from the slumber party. While dancing, Page accidentally elbowed Anna Maria in the nose, causing the blood everywhere. Meghan actually shaved off her own eyebrow, and they all.
Speaker 1: T peed Jake's house.
Speaker 4: Veronica also Parkord at Jake's house and is brilliant. We see Meghan and Jake on top of the hedgehog moobile like Jake and like Jack and Rose from The Titanic, and the movie ends with them walking arm in arm and then running down the street.
Speaker 1: Sabrina, can we do some real reviews?
Speaker 3: We absolutely can. This first one is a one star from Laurie Ooh, Laurie Slow forced movie about mean girls who pick on each other and constantly roll their eyes. Somehow it was okay for them to be hateful and unkind for the entire movie to the overweight, homeschooled Jewish girl. Even though she was the most enjoyable character, it was boring and unfunny.
Speaker 1: Ori, do they get into the fact that she's Jewish?
Speaker 2: I didn't know she was Jewish?
Speaker 7: She didn't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know if they pinpointed that out or she's just assuming.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was weird anyway, I completely and totally disagree with you, Lorie.
Speaker 3: I don't think they make one common her weight either, do either know? No, I think they just think she's different from them in this sense of like she's got a really funky little personality, which I end up.
Speaker 2: Enjoying at the end, and so do they like.
Speaker 1: That's the whole point that was weird. I have the five star and this is of course from Miao Owens.
Speaker 4: I love this review. The first act of this movie had me a bit exhausted as a viewer. I struggle to watch in general, that is, until the entire film was uplifted by Tyler Gula's performance.
Speaker 1: As an extra.
Speaker 4: He had a certain way of making the background worth paying attention to the scenes at the onion Fest, where Gula's performance predominantly shines, stood no chance without a support I don't normally let one good performance determine the outcome of my movie reviews, but it feels insulting and almost inhumane not to give this movie the ten out of ten that it deserves with Gula's skill and craftsmanship. I look forward to a sequel, hopefully where Gula gets more scream time. So this was obviously written by Tyler Gula.
Speaker 2: Am I yes, or Tyler best friend, girlfriend, something girl something.
Speaker 1: We did not see it. Tyler, I don't know where you were.
Speaker 2: So funny, so strange.
Speaker 4: But five stars and now we get to go into Sabrina's favorite part of the program.
Speaker 1: Of course, that is our feature game.
Speaker 4: And we're playing with a new producer today, aren't we Who do we have with us today?
Speaker 7: It's Maddie.
Speaker 1: Hello, Hello, Maddie, Welcome to the game.
Speaker 4: This is the game where producer Jensen makes us look stupid every week, and I'm sure this week is going to be no exception.
Speaker 1: So here we go.
Speaker 4: We've got our game this week is called let slumber party sounds creepy. This movie made This movie sure made slumber parties look fun. So we went to the website funboy dot com, which seems like it could be a way different website and I'm not googling that.
Speaker 2: Where are we going with this?
Speaker 1: Yikes? And got the ten best games you can play at a sleepover.
Speaker 4: You will get five chances to get three right guests away and it is not multiple there's no list.
Speaker 1: We just have to guess. Yess, So you go, you go one and then I'll go one. How about that? Or I go one and you go one with your I'm.
Speaker 2: Gonna go with the first one of twister.
Speaker 7: Twister is not on the list.
Speaker 1: No what I'm gonna say? Truth or dare.
Speaker 7: Oh that is correct.
Speaker 4: Yes, well, okay, one for me, sabreena, what do you got?
Speaker 2: It's gonna spin the bottle? But that's not probably.
Speaker 1: It might be it might be.
Speaker 2: No, because I only get five chants I find spin the bottle.
Speaker 7: It's on the list.
Speaker 2: There you go on the slumber party list. This is okay, it's a proastic.
Speaker 4: It's also I guess it would. The question is how old the slumber party is this? I mean, is this slumber party or a sleepover? Because I could easily say pong are or not pong beer pong? But I'm not sure that. It's like is this for kids? Like what kind of slumber part? So I'll say charades?
Speaker 7: Yes, good job.
Speaker 1: Two for me, what do you got to bring?
Speaker 2: Okay, another game?
Speaker 4: By the way, technically we won because the way Jensen wrote this is we had to guess three together with five guesses, and we've already won.
Speaker 1: But you guess again.
Speaker 2: Let' see if we can each get Let's see, like I guess a game. I don't know any other games? Hide and seek? Yeah? Is it okay?
Speaker 8: I kind of like, let you have that one? But yes, that is correct?
Speaker 2: What does it actually say that.
Speaker 1: Hide and Seek?
Speaker 7: But it wasn't like, you know, you didn't lock in your answer.
Speaker 2: I but try to think of like.
Speaker 1: I got one, what's my turn?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: You don't I know? I know? O GI board?
Speaker 7: Oh no, no, okay, say no, I'm going to say no for that one.
Speaker 2: Well okay, wow, So it's not a weedy board.
Speaker 1: Interesting?
Speaker 2: No, one of my favorite ones that we used to do. Oh yes, stiff is a board.
Speaker 3: Oh. I hated that I always had to go to the bathroom when everyone else was doing that.
Speaker 1: It freaks me out.
Speaker 2: What is it called when you have a list of stuff and you have to go door to door? What is that called?
Speaker 1: Like it's a treasure hunt?
Speaker 2: No, it's not called treasure hunt, but it is that idea.
Speaker 7: Ding dong ditching?
Speaker 2: No is that on the list?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: Oh no, it's it's I guess it's I guess it could be called treasure hunt, but it's there's another like little bit a different name. But you know, like that list that was my favorite thing to do, like going to the neighborhood and being like.
Speaker 2: Can we get two rolls of toilet paper? Do you stuff?
Speaker 1: Is it not called the treasure hunt?
Speaker 2: I don't think it is. I think it's something else, but we'll call it treasure hunt? Is that on it?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 2: Okay, hang on a sorry.
Speaker 4: Are you thinking of scavenger hunt?
Speaker 3: Scavenger hunt? Yes, I loved that. That was so fun.
Speaker 7: Okay, scavenger hunt is on there.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a treasure hunt.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I trying to figure out kind of what that was. Okay, yes, you got so.
Speaker 1: We got most of them. Then I think, what are the ones we didn't get?
Speaker 8: Okay, so you didn't get a pillow fight, which is a class balloon stomp.
Speaker 7: I'm not sure what that is.
Speaker 1: I think it's just blowing up balloons then popping them. What a stupid game?
Speaker 2: Well, there's there.
Speaker 3: There is one where you have to like it's like you get into two teams and like you have to do like three you have to sit on them and try to pop them faster.
Speaker 1: Than unless unless there's one balloon in there that has a needle. That's not fun. That's when you're that's when it's a game.
Speaker 4: When you hear one friend like like a billy found it.
Speaker 7: So that's on there. And then Movie Night Marathon is also one of the game. I know I wouldn't consider that.
Speaker 1: I can't believe board isn't on there.
Speaker 7: I know, so I'll tell you so.
Speaker 8: Number nine was blind folded makeup, which is very specifica and then number ten This is where I was like, well, you didn't quite get it.
Speaker 7: It's board games.
Speaker 2: That's different though, Gotta.
Speaker 7: That's gonna be like a sorry or you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, board was like you would always do something that got a little.
Speaker 3: Scary, that kind of yes, right, yeah, or like scary storytelling time kidding.
Speaker 4: By seventh grade, we were just playing smoke as many cigarettes as you can.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was not a good game. Can we do the Sabrina ces please?
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: The first thing that pops in my head when we see this hedgehog is I was like, oh my gosh, the Disney version of a shag and wagon from.
Speaker 2: Dumb and Dumber. I loved it. It was awesome.
Speaker 3: The the Grasshopper phone is what it's called. I thought was absolutely genius, and I thought you were gonna love it, because I'm like Will wishes his phone to.
Speaker 1: Tell ye, I love that.
Speaker 3: I love it, And I thought it was genius as far as you know what parents think about having like a smartphone, having so many like so much access to the internet and all that stuff versus it being really about what it should be. Is like the ability to communicate back and forth with your parents. I thought that was actually really awesome. And then quick, quick, quick story. So as I went to watch this movie, I turned on Disney Plus and I got, you know, the full page, and there was this thing of Richard Simmons and I was like, oh, I'm like, oh my goodness, he passed away not long ago. So I watched the trailer to the Richard Simmons like docuies, not docuseries, but like it's gonna be with Barbara Walters and all that stuff, documentary about him and his life and interview and stuff like that. And I literally watched it and then what we're into the movie like three or four minutes.
Speaker 2: And there he is.
Speaker 3: I'm like, first of all these kids even knowing about a Richard Simmons is hilarious to me. Again, then it opened my eyes into looking into this basement.
Speaker 2: We already went through it.
Speaker 3: I don't have to do it, but like this basement is of a not just one generation, but you're going down like multiple generations. Stuff is like transform very cool.
Speaker 2: But like not really very realistic.
Speaker 1: I don't think, okay, fair enough.
Speaker 2: But I loved the set decoration of it. I thought it was so.
Speaker 3: So awesome, I thought again, And now we're venturing onto this Disney not Disney.
Speaker 2: Type d com.
Speaker 3: The parents letting this older man downstairs into this basement without any supervision hypnotizing these kids was weird to me really right from there.
Speaker 4: Yes, like I wasn't on our list of things to do at night in this slumber party, have a strange man come and.
Speaker 3: Hypnotize you, like if that's gonna happen, and they're gonna there's gonna be I'm gonna be down in this basement watching this man, like probably making Jordan come down there with me.
Speaker 4: Question I have to ask, even at fourteen, Yes, really, yes.
Speaker 3: Yes, okay because the basement that's so like it would be different like here in my house, like open format, like if this was at my house like and they were in like the family room, I would be in the kitchen or the living room, like somewhere where I can hear what's going on.
Speaker 2: I can easily see it.
Speaker 3: You're not going down in the basement with my daughters and like her three best friends doing nothing without me in there, Sir, sir, sorry, not happening.
Speaker 2: That was so weird.
Speaker 3: Now we get to the and so then that was like a part of me where I'm like, Disney.
Speaker 2: What's going on? I can see that starting to freak me out. The what the duck that happened?
Speaker 3: The first one with it on the screen, and we get like, what what WTD? Is Okay, that's fine, WTD because it's the same thing as saying like WTF instead of saying the actual words. Right, But then we fast forward later into the movie, right after the Onion Festival, when Page actually says what the duck? And then I was like, not cool, not cool, because this is now going okay. Am I having to screen d coms before I allow Hi Monroe to watch them, because at this point I would watch I would let her watch any Zombies, any Descendants.
Speaker 2: I would let her.
Speaker 3: Without seeing it before it all, knowing that they're appropriate. There's nothing that's gonna shock me. There's not something that she's going to repeat that's gonna piss me off. And if she repeats what the duck to me, I'm gonna be pissed.
Speaker 2: I am gonna be sopid.
Speaker 3: So that's the only thing where I'm like Disney, I get that we're aging it up or we're gonna do whatever, but like, if we don't know the boundaries as parents, then we can't just like willfully let you like you know, like I scream pretty much everything that she watches, but I don't screen anything that's on Disney on her Disney channel stuff like or what is the kid's version.
Speaker 2: Of Disney stuff?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: So that's when I was just.
Speaker 4: Like, Okay, hey, I don't have kids, so I don't ever have to worry about this stuff.
Speaker 1: But that's tenament.
Speaker 4: I mean if she now, would you get a call from school if she started saying what the duck to everything going on?
Speaker 1: Like, oh what the duck? Would would the school call and be like she's not really swearing?
Speaker 2: But I don't think i'd get a call.
Speaker 3: I think at pick up the teacher with she because she goes to a a private Christian school, so I think they would be it the elementary school that I eventually went to, like when I was like, so, I went to this private Christian school until fourth grade. If I was at my public elementary from my experience, I don't know if they would have said anything, Okay, so that's where I learned when I went to public school at fourth grade. And then this is I'm still but like that was jumping still in my notes in the the order of things, I'm like, why were these kids drugged? Like the more that they keep talking about.
Speaker 1: It, I'm like, I were they were hypnotized?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, but it was. It was kind of getting a little scary for me.
Speaker 2: I loved the we you.
Speaker 3: Jensen didn't put it in the script, but the name of the company that Mesmer came from was Captain Bootleg Character Parties. I loved that name, Captain Bootleg Character Parties.
Speaker 2: That was so good. The next one was there's a lot of them.
Speaker 3: The brother in the car who is the getaway car is literally going to wait until they get in the car to then turn on the car getaway car.
Speaker 4: Why is the car not I told you to leave it running in front of the bank.
Speaker 1: Come on, come on, Mikey.
Speaker 3: I've never done it ever, but I know that role. And then the eating of the onions killed me. Could you even imagine you've ate a whole onion?
Speaker 4: Like, I don't know if I've done a whole onion, but I've taken big bites out of an onion, like an apple, sure.
Speaker 2: But an entire onion.
Speaker 3: Think about how Yeah I see an acidic that would.
Speaker 1: Be the worst part. Yeah, but the flavor. I love an onion.
Speaker 3: Yes, And then we are talked about the first kiss. The hike alone threw me off because she didn't want to go on the hike.
Speaker 1: To begin her dad. She didn't want to go with her dad, so she was going by herself to come.
Speaker 3: But she said, some stupid hike, right, she was doing she was doing that specifically to.
Speaker 1: Hurt her father.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, fine, I'll go past that.
Speaker 3: The last thing I want to say is at this age in junior high, you getting to wear your crushes sweatshirt and actually him giving it to her and saying she can keep it huge.
Speaker 2: They might as well be married.
Speaker 3: And I remember that like being the I remember the first time I got to like wear my crush and we were kind of seeing like it was that whole junior.
Speaker 2: High thing and wear it home and it smelt like cool.
Speaker 3: Waters his cologne, and I kept it forever, like I mean, oh, that was the best. Because boys always had the best sweatshirts.
Speaker 2: They were obvious. Oh no, I don't have it.
Speaker 3: I actually one time at a garage sale and I sold all of my exes.
Speaker 2: Dollar.
Speaker 1: How many did you have?
Speaker 3: I collect sweatshirts anyway, like I probably have over a hundred of them. But I went through all of mine and I kept finding ones that like they were guys that like I had dated, and I was like, I got to get rid of these, and we were already having a garage sale, and so I just won by one said, and I made a dollar.
Speaker 4: Oh god, it's so funny. So nice to know what your exes mean to you if they mean a.
Speaker 2: Dollar, not even that for free. Nice.
Speaker 1: Oh thank you so much.
Speaker 4: By the way, I will add another little quick story because you brought him up. When I was on Nickelodeon, my co host, one of my co hosts, Wendy Douglas, and I were flown out to Lot Angeles to interview a bunch of people.
Speaker 1: And one of the days we had was with Richard Simmons.
Speaker 4: And so we walk into his studio and we're waiting there for him, and he gets there a little bit late. There's all these people there ready to take one of his classes, and he walks in. He goes, well, Wendy and he starts throwing his VHS's at.
Speaker 1: Us, Take man, take my tapes, Take my tapes, and we're like grabbing him out of the air.
Speaker 4: And then he kicked out the camera crew and just kept Wendy and I in there for the class where first we did the sweating to the oldies a little bit, and then we all sat in a circle and he read letters from some of his fans talking about how he helped save their life and stuff, and he was openly weeping as he's reading these letters with all these people, and again he wouldn't allow cameras in. They were not allowed to so it was just Wendy and I there with all these other people that had just taken the class. There's probably twenty five of us in a circle just sitting down as he's reading these letters and crying. I knew, I quote unquote knew the man for two hours, and it's all I needed to know exactly the type of person he was.
Speaker 1: He was just so sweet and so it was.
Speaker 3: It was one of those and took what his mission was so seriously.
Speaker 1: He was he was big at one point of his life. So yeah, it was that was.
Speaker 3: And knew knew how much it was so many people, and I'm sure the way I can't wait to watch the documentary because I'm sure there's gonna be a lot of like kind of sadness with it, but like the weight, the weight on his.
Speaker 2: Shoulders that he must have carried because.
Speaker 3: So many people really did love and he was you know, all the love and the energy he brought to this world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was great, very cool guy.
Speaker 4: Now it's time in our program where we are going to score the last film that we saw. Are options this week? Well, first of all, going to go one to ten. Okay, five is going to be the middle. Okay, So here we go. Uh one out of ten tiny tiny green cell phones, Brian Austin, green VHS tapes one out of ten, new telenames one out of ten, fart sneezes one out of ten, mystery bikes one out of ten, onion munches, d com curse words one out of ten, Touching knees are one out of ten.
Speaker 1: Extras named Tyler Goulas. What would you like to pick this?
Speaker 2: I kind of can't. I can't really. I think I'm gonna go with fart sneezes just because it's.
Speaker 1: Because it's funny to say I'm glad you did.
Speaker 2: And I'm an eight year old kid, exactly an eight year old boy, that's all I am.
Speaker 1: I think you're first this time.
Speaker 3: I think I went, yes, I got to pick and I I okay.
Speaker 2: It's hard to judge. As a movie. I liked it. I thought it was great as a d comet through me multiple.
Speaker 3: Times because when I watch these movies now, and I guess we're coming up onto a different world of d coms.
Speaker 2: I guess is what this is becoming.
Speaker 3: When I watch d COM's, it's like I look for things that I'm like, oh, this would really resonate. I hope when Winroe gets to a certain age, this would be it. Now, this is a coming of age. I wouldn't let Monroe watch this.
Speaker 2: Until she was like thirteen twelve or thirteen twelve.
Speaker 3: Probably I wouldn't let her watch it now because again I'm scared she's gonna start repeating something I don't wonder. But in general, as a kid's movie, let's call it a tweens movie.
Speaker 2: I thought it was great and I liked it.
Speaker 3: I thought there was a time the Onion, that whole Onion aspect probably could have been taken away.
Speaker 2: It really didn't do anything for the storyline except give us Veronica's park or.
Speaker 3: Fall, yes, which is great, which was kind of worth it. But other than that not necessary. Even the saving of the ducks, those were kind of missions that didn't.
Speaker 1: They're just it's just supposed to get you to the next one.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, just getting you to the next But I thought it was a great little young Disney take on The Hangover. I love the Over, so seeing a younger version was actually very fun and I get it, and I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: I thought I forgot what I was doing there.
Speaker 3: And I would give this a seven point five fart sneezes, okay, sneeze which starts sneezes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know what you want. You want to fart sneeze, you don't want to sneeze?
Speaker 1: Part two different things? Uh that? To be honest, she did a sneeze. Fart is what it should be.
Speaker 4: You know. I I can only look at what dcoms are, so if this is what dcom is now, then I can only watch it as a movie as this is the dcom. We thought the same thing with Prompact, where it's just they're obviously kids are changing, or at least what kids are being shown is changing, and this is kind of the new wave. That said, I really liked this movie. I thought the cast was great, It moved quickly, it was laugh out loud, funny at times. I loved the relationship between her and her love interest. You're just rooting for them. I thought this was a solid movie all the way around. And I'm actually giving this an eight point five.
Speaker 1: Wow, fart sneezes or sneeze farts this was.
Speaker 4: I thought, really, it could even be a nine. I mean, this was just this was a solid movie all the way around. And again I get what you're saying.
Speaker 1: No, I'm gonna change. It's gonna be a nine. It's this was.
Speaker 4: This was a good movie. The script was good, the acting was good, the direction was good. The music was good. It moved you cared about people. The dialogue was witty. Yeah, yeah, so this is this is a nine.
Speaker 1: Fart sneezes for me. I thought this was a very fun movie. I really did. But is our next movie gonna be fun? There is the question.
Speaker 4: Our next movie takes us back to the niche category of sci fi d com with the nineteen ninety nine alien comedy Can of Worms.
Speaker 1: Oh no, never heard it? Is it bad? Okay? Never? Oh no, never heard of it?
Speaker 4: And it's currently on Disney Plus for you to watch early, so jump in and get ready.
Speaker 1: But in the meantime, this week we have.
Speaker 4: Have an amazing bonus park Opper episode dropping on the dedicated magical rewind Feed, and we don't want you to miss out.
Speaker 1: We chatted with Well, an old.
Speaker 4: Co star of mine who somehow took our failed show together and turned it into roles on some of TV's best, like Mayor of Kingstown, The Pit, bird Box, and The OC.
Speaker 1: But we only care about one thing.
Speaker 4: We talked to actor Taylor Hanley about its time on the very strange dcom Phantom of the Megaplex.
Speaker 1: Take a listen at what you can expect. When did you first hear about Phantom the Megaplex?
Speaker 9: It was just in the queue, it was right, I think it was. It might have been right after like auditioning for the thirteenth year and I had gone out for so many Disney originals. I was just like, oh god, another one, you know, and it it just clicked. I remember, I got it. It was I remember leaving to fly to Toronto, July third of the year that I turned sixteen, so that was two thousand.
Speaker 1: Very excited for everyone to hear that one.
Speaker 4: Imagine being on the pit and someone calls to talk to you about Phantom.
Speaker 1: Of the Megaplex.
Speaker 4: Right, Just make sure you're subscribed to the dedicated Magical Rewine podcast feed to make sure you hear all of the interviews we have as well well the rest of the amazing stuff we've got over there, some great dcom coverage, and we've got some cool ones coming up for you.
Speaker 1: We've got some great guests coming up from you. I'm not gonna spoil it, but maybe even someone who starred in the last movie that we just watch, and we're gonna have to go out and get Sabrina a New Boy sweatshirt. Thank you everybody, and we'll see you next time. Bye.