Speaker 1: I am all in again.
Speaker 2: I am all in again with Scott Patterson and iHeartRadio Podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I am all in Podcast one eleven productions, iHeartRadio Media, iHeart Podcast and with our special guest, Colin Egglesfield. He's someone you might recognize from All My Children, melrose Place, a little film called Something balld in a guest role in Gilmore Girls Season four. Welcome Colin. How are you doing? Pal?
Speaker 3: I'm doing well, Scott. Good to see you.
Speaker 1: Good, good good. Emily and Laurel I and Peyton? What are we think in here? Emily invites Laurel I to an auction for her society, Matrons League and Antiques. Shell wants to go. There's an auction, there's all kinds of things happening. John Hamm shows up. It's total in Sanity's drinking wine. I didn't know John Hamm was a wine drinker that that early in his career. So she meets Peyton at Emily's event. Should she have been more cautious about pursuing this turkey? He turns out to be a real dud? Was this a careless oversight? Colin? In your estimation? Please?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: Come on, it's John Ham, dude, Like, why would you How could you say no to John Ham?
Speaker 1: It was a huge day. No, you just say they.
Speaker 3: Madmen and Don Draper. So it's cool to see him in early version of him before he got his big break. But no, man, how could you say no to to to charming Peyton slash John Ham?
Speaker 1: I was named Peyton? What Peyton Sheridan Peyton Shell? Peyton wasn't I can't remember something Peyton Sherwood yeacked at anyway, Uh.
Speaker 3: I don't believe her though, I from how he met her at the bar. I mean he's got his jet, invited her to David Bowie. I mean, I I have a sneaking suspicion that he wasn't the drip that she made him sound out to be.
Speaker 1: I think you think he tanked it on purpose because he didn't want to see her again.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Maybe it was because she talked so fast.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's sacrilegious, really to say something like that. You better be careful, man. I know, no, but you know it's a it's a it's a possibility. But I think I think by the way she look they just they didn't connect. I kind of believed her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean she she has so much charisma. She is more of a I mean, how can you not fall in love with Loralai? Obviously she's got she's charming, she's beautiful, she's she's witty, she's cute, endearing, and I could see where Peyton probably being a little more of a upper crust kind of a stiff where it wouldn't necessarily work out. But here's the thing, you know, there's the physical attraction. So obviously they look good together. And I think this is what happens in relationships, where you physically fall for someone and you kind of overlook some of the things that maybe are red flags in the beginning, but because you're so attracted to them, you overlook them, and then before you know it, you're in a relationship physically and not speaking from experience or anything, and you're like, you wake up one day and you're like, maybe I really don't know this person as well as I thought I did. Even though they are beautiful and I'm attracted to them, some of the things that are coming out of their mouth are not so attractive.
Speaker 1: You know what. She was just too smart for him. He couldn't care. Probably all right, So Laura I cantinues to fight for her independence from Emily and Richard's world. Do you think this reassures why she separates herself from their community?
Speaker 3: You know it was. The episode raised a really good point, and I really liked the way that Loralai brought up that, look, mom, dad, it's nothing that I'm doing intentionally to hurt you guys. I'm just I went on a date, Like why are you putting all of your baggage onto me? And I think that's a very common thing where parents have maybe certain expectations about what we do and what they think.
Speaker 1: We should be doing.
Speaker 3: But I honestly I thought it was I mean, I could see both ways. I think it was unfair that they put that kind of onus on Lauraai when she was just trying to go on a date. But I could also see in certain circles where there's a protocol, like her father said. And what I did like about what her father said was your mother drinks gets her tea first, and she's used to getting her tea first. And I don't understand her world. You may not understand her world, but because she's my wife, I am damn well going to make sure that my wife gets her tea first, And I think that is what maybe is missing in a lot of relationships.
Speaker 1: Do you think Laura Lean was being selfish by not considering Emily in the first place.
Speaker 3: I think her parents should have have talked to her at dinner when she first asks for the phone number. I think her mom should have said, by the way, if you do go out with him, please keep this in mind that his mom is in my social circle, and so please, whatever you do, just be polite and know that if if anything go sideways or whatever, this may have a detrimental effect. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But wouldn't Laura I already assume that because Peyton was on we know.
Speaker 3: What happens when you assume.
Speaker 1: I don't know. That's a tight little circle there with the people that she invited, those are all our friends.
Speaker 3: Did your parents ever place expectations on you that you thought were unrealistic.
Speaker 1: Not only every day twenty four to seven? Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 3: And did they communicate them clearly to you or were they just assumed?
Speaker 1: Oh? No, they were very specific about what they expected in terms of grades and behavior and social behavior and even you know, behavior at the dinner table. Sure. Yeah, yeah mm hmm, yeah, yep. And you have kids, right, uh huh, I I have a son I do.
Speaker 3: And do you feel that you guys have open communication and where you can clearly oh god? Yet absolutely yeah, yeah, they're you know, kids.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have to teach him, yeah, and then they and he's teaching us, I think more than we're teaching him.
Speaker 3: But I think some parents only teach when they get angry at their kids after they've already done something wrong. And it's like, well, I'm a kid. I didn't know or I kind of like, yeah, you know, don't yell at me, teach me, like right exactly.
Speaker 1: But anyway, all right, so yeah, so she she made a simple decision. She didn't happen. Why waste time, not going to force it. We're done the just causes the usual loo kerfuffle over at the Emily's house. All right, now we have Dwaite. What'd you think of this guy asking her to you know, the water lawn and water the African geraniums whatever they were called, go inside the house. Spent thirty minutes a day doing this for this guy. Didn't even what do you think of this guy's a little too much of an imposition, would you have done it? Oh?
Speaker 3: Man? I felt for her because I guess I feel like I've been in that situation where you reluctantly say yes to something and then they just keep asking for more. And a certain point when it came to the going inside the house to water the plans or when he then asked, I need you to water the lawn three times a day instead of ten by myself on my own, I probably would have said, you know, listen, dude, this is a little ridiculous. But you know, Rory being as sweet as he is, that's why it's great to have. That's why it started people around you who are like, you know what, let's just do this.
Speaker 1: Just think of the lie ability inside his house though, I mean they didn't sign away, he didn't sign a waiver again well nowadays, yeah, you know, right, exactly right, something happens to somebody inside the house and it's trouble but good stuff. And I think you know the setup for that was just to get just to get soaked, run into h Jess and have Jess come in and have that scene.
Speaker 3: And I loved how he turned the sprinkler back on after he heard that. Who was the other kid that was going to come home and help Dean.
Speaker 1: Dean the boyfriend.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and uh, I guess yeah, I thought that was Milo. Then Amilia and I had to go watch the credits or at the beginning rewatch it to make to see if it really was him. But yeah, it's really cool to see actors get their start on Gilmore Girls. I mean, Gilmore Girls was one of the first major shows that I ever was on and just blessed to have been a part of it. And was that the fan event that you and I saw each other again? Was that like two months ago in New Milford, which is great. So just very honored and blessed to be a part of the Gilmore Girls community. I will say though, I was curious to see if John Ham appeared in the next episode because she agreed to go on the next date with him. So I was thinking that, Okay, well let's see the David Bowie concert and then it was nothing like John hamm and Peyton was. It was just an afterthought, like what was he even brought up?
Speaker 1: Peyton Sanders Peyton s Yeah, yeah, they can't go to a Boie concert thing. Imagine the royalty payment that I have to make for Franny Bowie song.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it was just like it was very I was very curious, why just all of a sudden.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't tease me with Bowie and then and then right exactly. I didn't like that at all because I knew there wasn't going to be another I knew there wasn't going to be a Bowie. So you don't tease a Bowie concert and then deny people of Boi concert that that in itself, I believe that's actionable and I'm consulting my attorney anyway. You know, you think Dwight fits in. He's a quirky kind of guy, right, he kind of fits right in there. And uh, you know, Bett liberally like giving him loreleized cell number. Thanks a lot. But you know that's that's the charm of the show, right m hm. You know who stole the whole episode for me was that giant fish at the end when when it was just like listening to his ex wife's abusive message and ran out of there, and then the camera pans to the aquarium and you just see that giant well I don't know what kind of fish it was, but it was just like staring at us, you know, like, geez.
Speaker 3: What I like the I like the cuckoo person like that was like eight o'clock at the awayssince.
Speaker 1: I've never seen a fish steal a scene that was a scene stealing fish actually rewounded a couple of times and cracked up just what I did with my mornings. This is what it's come to. But I'll tell you, if it's going to come to something, it's a good thing to have this show to make you laugh.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 3: I liked your scene in the beginning when you were complaining about the lactating lady at the table.
Speaker 1: You know, that was odd. That is so. And here's people ask me this question all the time, you know, are you like Luke in this circumstance. No, not even close. And I have actually intervened in public in situations where somebody is giving a woman who's breastfeeding her child a hard time about it, and I I'm I've stepped in and say, yo, back off, stop it, stop stressing her out, and stop stressing her baby out. Just walk. You know, it really really pisses me off when people, you know, get all offended, and it's.
Speaker 3: Like, I agree, that just makes refer to your your performance.
Speaker 1: I thought you were No, no, I know, but but I'm answering the fan question, like, are you like, look in this situation, it was uncomfortable to watch that. That's the character, that's how he feels. Fine, but I don't feel that way in any way, shape or form. You know, you got to feed your kid. You gotta feed your kid. I mean it's the most you know, natural, natural, natural thing you could do, is feed your child. I mean, how dare anybody try to interrupt that?
Speaker 3: You know, I mean just go to Europe and you see it all over the place.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, I don't. I don't get why people are so. I don't get it. Yeah, providing nourishment to a baby angers people. Okay, yeah, that's weird.
Speaker 3: I'm offended. That's well, that's my own people say, oh that I'm offended.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, that's your problem. Okay. So now laurel I and Roy are back for Friday night dinner after the Peyton debacle. Emily is predictably cold with laurel I now because all her hopes are dashed of maybe traveling in Peyton's private jets to Maui as a as an extended family. For some birthdays or weddings, who knows. Laura Lai actually apologizes and she explains that she had a bad time, but she's willing to go to the Bowie concert. What do you think about that? You think she should have stood her ground or.
Speaker 3: I think she did the right thing. Yeah again, I think her parents should have.
Speaker 1: Prefaced take one for the team before.
Speaker 3: Even going on the date. Listen, Yeah, this is maybe not a normal situation. Just please be aware of like what happens with the dates so that h this was avoided from the get go. But I did think it was sweet. And I think this is what happens in relationships where people dig into whether they think they are right and they will not acquiesce and they'll just dig their heels in. And this is where I think it can cause major riffs in relationships and families. Whereas I think Loralai shared with us a very important lesson that if you really care about the people and your family, that sometimes you may have to choose between being right and doing something that is loving for the people that you care about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well said taking one for the team, Right, She took one for the team. Good for her, she did, and she had a great last line, very funny line she takes. She says, Yeah, what was her last line to tell are to borrow a sweater for the concert? Borrow Rory's sweater for the concert because she liked Rory's blue sweater and she should wear blue more often, you know, in the first time they come in.
Speaker 3: What was the last she said? I think it was a David Bowie lyric at the very end when she grabs round, control the major town, control the major top.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Colin, let's talk about you a little bit. You're in the season four episode seventeen Girls in bikinis, boys doing the Twist, and we had you on a few years ago. Talk about it. Yeah, And you've had a lot of roles in TV shows. Is this one of your fondest memories of being on set for a day? Absolutely. I was new to Hollywood.
Speaker 3: I think I was maybe twenty seven or twenty eight years old, and my agent called me up that morning and said, Hey, I'm sending you an audition for Gilmore Girls. It's down in I think it was like Manhattan Beach or Redondo, And he said, the audition is this morning, and if you get the role, you're working today.
Speaker 1: No, I quickly printed a lunch. Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: So I was like, oh yeah, thanks a lot for the heads up. But that's how TV and film works. It works very quickly, and as you know, and so I printed out the sides and I jumped in, you know, shower, jumped in my car and driving down from West Hollywood to to I think it was Redondo, you know, looking trying to memorize my lines while I'm like making sure I'm not running through red lights. And finally got down there and I walked into where they had rented this little motel right on the beach, and so they brought us up to where the casting was and there was like, I don't know, it must have been like fifteen or twenty other guys. So we're all sitting there waiting, and one by one they brought us in and audition came back out. And then it was one of those moments where I mean it was it was magical because the casting director comes out and she says, okay, everyone can leave except for Colin. I was like, all right, amazing.
Speaker 1: This is cool.
Speaker 3: And then she comes up and says, hey, Colin, thanks so much for your audition. You know you were great. But we have one more actor that's on his way over here, so if you wouldn't mind just sticking around. And I'm like, oh, I'm sitting there waiting, And it must have been like fifteen or twenty minutes, and finally this guy walks in. And I had been studying with this acting coach named Chris Fields. And in Chris Field's acting class, there was this guy named Dan and he was like this more experienced, really good looking guy, super confident, like everyone wanted to be like Dan in acting class. And so when Dan then Dan walks in and I'm just like, oh, I mean, I might as well leave right now. Here's Dan. He's gonna smoke this audition and I might as well just like head back to West Hollywood. So he's like, hey, man, what's going on. I'm like, hey, Dan, good to see you. So he goes in audition, comes back out, and you know, he's got a smile on his face when he comes back out and sits down, and then she comes back out and says, all right, Dan, thanks so much, Colin, you can go to wardrobe. And I was like, holy crap, man, like so it was it was pretty special and just to be on that, you know, obviously a hit show. So early on in my career, I'd come from soap opera, but that was my first I had done Law and Order SVU. I played a mail escort. But other than other than that, not so much on my resume.
Speaker 1: And how did Dan end up doing? How's he been doing? Did he did he book some stuff?
Speaker 3: You know? I I think I saw him in an episode of something else, but I have I've lost touch with him. But uh yeah, I'm not I'm not quite sure. I'm sure he's I'm sure he's doing all right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well that's a that's a great story. Yeah, you had there, that was stressful for you?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I mean, how was your audition for Gilmore Girls?
Speaker 1: Though? Pretty easy, breezy. You know, it was just to be a guest star in the pilot. And I just went in and did a scene. And you know, I was supposed to prep two scenes, but there was a type all on the sides that said duke on the other scene. So I didn't prep it and they told me to prep it outside five minutes, came back and did it. Left. I wasn't. I felt a good vibe in the room, right, you know, you know, you feel the vibe or not right. Usually it's like pretty awkward sometimes you know, and it's like, you know, it's not right. Yep. But this one felt really right. The part felt really right. Whatever. But I hadn't invested everything in it. I had three auditions that day. I was running around town. I was on the west side. I had to get back to I was teaching an acting class. So I had to get back and I do the second audition, i'd do the third audition. I had to drive all the way across town and bumper to bumper traffic. I was going to be late, so I I, you know, I didn't really you know, I was just like I went in there and I was a little impatient with him. I was cool with him, but I was like, all right, let's go. I gotta do this. I gotta get out of here.
Speaker 3: And so that was the audition that did they bring you back to tests?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, it was just that was the only audition I got on the back door. And then you know, worked out on set when we shot the pilot, and then they offered two episodes, and they offered four episodes, and we just you know, held firm and said just give us a deal. And they gave us a deal, so awesome. Bought a bing, bought a boom, right, yeah, yeah, one of those things. One of those things.
Speaker 3: Do you miss the the in person auditions and doing that?
Speaker 1: I do, Yeah, I do, I really really do. I just I just did an audition that I you know, you put on tape. Now. Yeah, so the first time, and I've been doing this for a couple of years, right that this has been happening for for you know, five six, seven years now that you're you're doing it on your cell phone. And but this last one was for a Sydney Sweeney film and so I, you know, I set up the camera and I, you know, I put the wardrobe on, I did the whole thing. But you know, you can do good work. It doesn't really matter, right, They just need to see the work. But I don't know. And in a lot of ways, it's it's far more convenient you get you don't A big chunk of your day isn't taken. And uh, you know, driving and parking and sitting because it's always a long walk from the parking lot. It's one hundred degrees.
Speaker 3: You have to park at Warner Brothers Lot seven and then.
Speaker 1: Crush right, take a taxi down bar Ham.
Speaker 3: And then walk through you know, giant studios to get to the one little casting office.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, you pass like five movie stars and fourteen TV stars and you feel smaller. And by the time you get there, yeah, Paul.
Speaker 3: And a gladiator and a dwarf, and.
Speaker 5: You just it's it's, I don't know, yeah, like running the gauntlet, right, yeah, it's like, well, then you get there, you're sweaty, you don't feel too good, and.
Speaker 3: You see seven other guys from hit TV shows and you're like, I'm never gonna get right.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, you know, I learned how to be you know, if if you're a little bit obnoxious in the room and you throw them off their game, you know you can get the edge, you know. Guess you're kind of loud and sort of happy. Yeah, you take one innocent victim, you said, I said, what's up?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 1: How you you know, you just start chattering and everybody just looks, you know, they give you.
Speaker 3: Reach and grab potato chips out of there.
Speaker 1: Right, you gotta have audition room game. Yeah right, it's a thing. It is a thing. It is a thing, man, that's a it's a whole war.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: It's like, I'm getting this role, and I'm gonna jack you up to get this.
Speaker 3: Role, or at least I'm gonna make you remember me.
Speaker 1: How many how many times have you been sitting there nervously waiting, waiting, waiting, and then some boisterous idiot walks in right and he throws you off your gain? You don't want to Oh, hey man, good to see you.
Speaker 4: Bro.
Speaker 3: Well you're looking wow, man, you look so handsome. And what have you been dude, you've been working out?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 3: I'm like, shut the f up.
Speaker 1: Just go over there. But he's in your head now, and so that works that I was, that's intentional, my.
Speaker 3: Head down, looking at my sides, pretending I was like studying them so and I wouldn't even look at whoever would walk in the room until I would walk out. And then cause, yeah, some guys just like to chit chat, and I think they literally do that to try to throw you off your game.
Speaker 1: Oh there's no question. Yeah, no, it's it's you gotta have game. But no, no, no, I didn't do that on that one on the on the Gilmore audition, it was just you know, I didn't wait very long. They saw me right away. That's good. Yeah, yeah, it was pretty quick. It's not like they were waiting for me or anything. But it was like I signed in and then I sat down for like seems like a minute, and they said, all right, they're writing and I went in, Yeah, no big deal, mm hmm.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I wish they were all like that, right. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I started producing my own projects so they don't have to do that process because it's just so annoying having to audition and wait until you get chosen. So I just produced a film in Chicago a couple of months ago, and it's fun being on the other side getting to choose the other actors, and it's just amazing just watching when actor submit, you can definitely tell the actors that have done the work and have prepared and the other ones that are just kind of like trying to figure out the like have you read this? Did you even look at this before you turn the camera on. It's it's incredible, like how unprepared some actors are.
Speaker 1: But I understand, you know, auditioning is an acting, it's just a it's a show. You just put on your gun slinger. You're a gunslinger and you go in and you flip the psychology and you take the room. And that's that's what you have to learn how to do shots on right, because it's not about act I mean, it's like and if you're the if you have a process, if you have any kind of process in place, right, don't want to make choices right away, and you really can't, and you and auditioning forces you to make choices. And that's why I was bad at it for for a long time until I figured out, you know what, let them see your process. Don't give them something complet lee, but let them see that you have a process, you know, and that you have an idea here.
Speaker 3: So what would that look like for you?
Speaker 1: Going with my first impressions, like trusting my instincts, my initial instincts when I read the script and then you get a feeling, you get a vibe, and then something happens when you just sort of read the dialogue you know, flatly, and then you go oh, and then choices are kind of made for you instinctually. And I go with that.
Speaker 3: So how would you show them that process when you walked in.
Speaker 1: The room, turn around, you tell them I just want to take a minute. Okay, yeah, then you turn around, turn your back on him. You count to about thirty seriously, seriously, and then you turn around and you go all right, I'm ready because now you have their attention.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I would do that, just not that long.
Speaker 1: But that's oh yeah, thirty second.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's that's ballard.
Speaker 1: Sometimes it doesn't work though, like, okay, come on, it's like, do you mind we have a lot of twenty.
Speaker 3: Other actors out there. Come on, and you turn around to be not to.
Speaker 1: Be anything, to get their minds off of the fact that they have multiple offers out to big names. Yeah, whose agents are giving them headaches, and now they have to deal with you, a total unknown right when you were unknown, and it's like they're not interested. You got to get there. How do you get their attention? You got it? That's the game. It's like, how do you get their attention? How do you get them to focus on you and stop thinking about you know, mister Superstar rejected their first two offers.
Speaker 3: I would do things like I auditioned for I remember Tarzan was being made at WB and I in the middle of one of the scenes, I just did a cartwheel and like landed to like to start the scene, like I was like, landing as Tarzan. That's great from a rock and then and you can tell like they all start smiling.
Speaker 1: That's fantastic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because you had to do something.
Speaker 1: I remember, get that energy going.
Speaker 3: I brought a six pack of coronas to uh the head of casting at Warner Brothers.
Speaker 1: Who is it, Marian Dherty and for film or TV for a film. I don't know if Marion was still there, not.
Speaker 3: Sure if she's still there, but things like that because I I auditioned for I think it was Badman, like years later and she was like, she was like, thanks for those six packs for the coronas. And I was like, you I go, you remembered.
Speaker 1: She was like A don't huh. That's good, right, you gotta do something different, right, that's brilliant. All right, So we're kind of out of time. You got to come back, Colin. Thanks so much, nice child. Put it up with you, buddy, and luck with everything, and please thank you do come back because this is these shorter segments about forty minutes. It's not enough time.
Speaker 3: By the way, can I plug my latest film that just came please do. It's called Where the Wind Blows. And it stars myself, Ashley Elaine, Trevor Donovan, Rob Mays, Michelle Hurd, Lachlan Murdoch and c Thomas Howell. And it's set in eighteen ninety in the Old Pioneer West. It's written, it's based on a best selling novel by Carolyn Fife, and it's a it's a romancy old Western cowboy type film.
Speaker 1: Where the Wind Blows Colin Egglesfield and you have your own podcast, Beyond Impact Podcast That's Right, which helps professionals with public speaking. Colin, thank you for your time. Thanks Scott, it's great to see it. We will see you again in the not too distant future. Be well, my friend.
Speaker 3: Thanks.
Speaker 1: We're gonna wrap this up here. Thanks to the best fans on the planet. Keep the cards and letters coming, uh we need them, We want them. Love the feedback, and remember where you lead, we will follow.
Speaker 4: Stay safe, everyone, Everybody talks again.
Speaker 1: Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmour at iHeartRadio dot com.