Speaker 1: Quest Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Here we Go, Suprema Some Suprema Role called Supreme sub Supreme.
Speaker 3: Roll Call Supremo, Get Together America.
Speaker 2: We lost our heroes, Yeah, we lost our leaders. Yeah, we lost our minds. Yeah, and I'm so happy.
Speaker 4: Supreme Supreme Roll came Supreme Supreme Roll came.
Speaker 5: Merry Christmas. Yeah, my name is Sugar.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Happy New Year.
Speaker 5: Yeah, motherfuckers come Supreme.
Speaker 4: So Supreme Role came Supreme Supreme Roll Call.
Speaker 3: Season's Greetings. Yeah, Goodbye twenty tens. Yeah, peace out to my thirties. Yeah, lose my forties.
Speaker 4: Supreme Son Supremo Role Supreme.
Speaker 1: I want to see where it was going.
Speaker 7: It's my em Yeah, y'all know what it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I don't know about Christmas. Yeah, but having one of kids.
Speaker 4: Oh, Supreme Son Son Supremo Roll Call, Supreme Son Suprema roll Call.
Speaker 6: Oh is it my turn?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I wasn't spared. I'm just reading reviews of McDonald's.
Speaker 4: Supreme Suprema ro Came Suprema Son Son Supremo ro Car Suprema Son Son Supremo Role Call Suprema.
Speaker 1: Son Son Supremo ro Car.
Speaker 2: Ladies and gentlemen, This is Questlove Supreme, the year in edition. But of course, being as though we are facing twenty twenty, we decided to up the annie and make it.
Speaker 1: A decade and addition, of course Love Supreme.
Speaker 2: Uh, let's welcome our very jovial festive decade.
Speaker 5: I can't Yeah, how are you supposed to remember what happened?
Speaker 1: Dude?
Speaker 2: You got a fucking excellent job this decade.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I remember we got to produce your hero rights. But how am I supposed to remember all the movies that came.
Speaker 2: Out from all the see I'm anyway, So, ladies and gentlemen, welcome you. Already know you already know what we're hitting for y'all, so just you're just don't embraise yourself. Yeah, sugar Steve, Hello, how are you happy? Kwansa happy happy happy chocka con happy chocka con?
Speaker 5: Thanks so much?
Speaker 1: What you what you what you get this morning?
Speaker 5: That deposits set?
Speaker 1: Okay? So you got money for Christmas or Shaka Khan? Yeah? You just got to stay Okay, that's cool. How how long has this been going on?
Speaker 2: So as long as I've known you, you're the happiest during this time of the year because you get.
Speaker 5: A big assound for five thousand years.
Speaker 8: What's the increase on that thing, Steve, Like as you get older, because it ain't the same for when you were younger.
Speaker 1: Like does he do it like so it'll last you for the year?
Speaker 5: Well, that's what it used to be when I was broke, that money would be for the year. But you know, like you said, now that got a good job. We're putting it away for the future generations of the Jews.
Speaker 2: Okay, dope in case. Yeah, he's saving up so he can leave us. M Well, you know, can I brow five dollars?
Speaker 1: Steve?
Speaker 5: I don't have any kids, so my nieces are going to get everything.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, cool? Cool? And this is the same. This is't the same for your siblings. Uh yeah, you got siblings. Yeah, I've an older sister.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, man, So uncle Steve, like one of your nieces goes yeah to school peace. Yeah in my neighborhood.
Speaker 6: What is the what is this check?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he gets a honk check every year. Oh and it's so it's it's the happiest you'll ever see him throughout the year.
Speaker 6: Okay, Jewish thing.
Speaker 7: Strange voice in the In the memo on.
Speaker 1: The check, my dad writes, guilt. Oh are you serious? You serious? His guilt, not mine.
Speaker 2: We believe everything you say, Steve. Anyway, we also got boss Bill.
Speaker 1: Uh. Merry Christmas. Merry Christmas? And how is your Christmas? It's good. I'm actually broadcasting to you guys live from my mom's couch. Okay, so I see that. Layah, happy Kwanta?
Speaker 5: Wait do you celebrate anything? What do you celebrate the holidays? Yeah, okay, my mom's couch because it's Christmas. I'm not in New York. I just feel like it's one of those things. Really play with the.
Speaker 7: People like that. They're smart.
Speaker 2: No, we got tank, dude, we got iHeart level Christmas.
Speaker 7: That's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah anyway, so yeah, how are you called Skype? Exactly? I'm great.
Speaker 8: I'm great, y'all. I haven't done Christmas since I became of age. But happy holidays.
Speaker 1: Okay. Did you buy for a lot of people? No?
Speaker 7: I only buy for the boo at this point.
Speaker 1: Oh, how's that going?
Speaker 7: It's going good?
Speaker 2: I know, I know we bowed up, not respectively, but I mean, yes, we're yes, we're respectively bowed up. Let's welcome our special guest ladies and gentlemen. Friend of the show, even though this is the first time he's been on the show. But I actually consider this this this person a friend, not just a peer of mind. It's also in the same industry that I'm in.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 2: Wyatt is a very uh kind of a guy, full of wisdom and uh, you know, kind of my my, my go to person when I have questions about anything, well, a few mistakes.
Speaker 1: Where babies come from? Well, I don't I don't get.
Speaker 6: I did answer that question for a mire.
Speaker 1: Anyway, it was a.
Speaker 6: Long day with a powerpoints and we got there.
Speaker 2: Let's let's welcome Wat Snek to quest Love Supreme Linson. Tell me, wait, he didn't say your last name, right.
Speaker 7: Are you?
Speaker 1: I messed up the annunciation?
Speaker 6: Sure, yeah you did. But we're we're good friends. We're such great friends.
Speaker 1: Sac I married Christ.
Speaker 6: Good friends. God bless us everyone.
Speaker 2: It's in me now watching you and Bill have a very eerily Uh you're very similar and yeah in your face.
Speaker 7: Area, your face areas are a little similar.
Speaker 2: Demeanor, like, both of you are dressed alike. You did you guys coordinate this?
Speaker 1: No? No, yeah, you both have black hoodies.
Speaker 2: One Bill, you guys are kind of like the black version of the Trench Cope Mafia that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but we're just gonna walk up into a place and make music spread exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got so many find that picture. We took a picture like ten years ago. It's just to prove that we were two separate people, because like, yeah, I kept getting you look a lot like whyatt you know?
Speaker 6: And that was from his family members.
Speaker 2: Speaking of pictures from a long time ago. I made this weird discovery. Only if you are kind of a day one well I don't want to use a drake term, but if you were a day one okay, if you were Day one of okay, player whom I call vets. How's this for the strangest turnaround possible? Bill, do you remember Stalker of.
Speaker 1: The Month or yes? All right, so.
Speaker 2: Wow, there's a situation where like, uh, I don't know, maybe I handed out my my beeper number out to you know, to a few people, but you know, not thinking anything of it. You just give your beeper number out, not your personal beeper.
Speaker 1: For those that are listening that were born after nineteen ninety.
Speaker 6: Or that aren't doctors.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was what beeper still exists.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, I have three.
Speaker 7: But you're not a doctor.
Speaker 6: You don't know that.
Speaker 2: So anyway, the point, the point being, this is starting to feel like an NPR.
Speaker 7: This feels like a sip yet that's all right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Can we have some do say?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm so proud of my baby. He goes so far, y'all don't know. Remember he used to just drink framoire.
Speaker 7: I'm just I don't.
Speaker 1: Understand this anyway. He was on the Atlantic.
Speaker 2: Anyway, all right, so check it. So there was this person that just kept calling and calling and calling and calling and calling and calling the phone.
Speaker 1: And.
Speaker 2: It was becoming problematic. And so this is like, you know, the earliest nineteen ninety eight, during the age of the Internet's kind of early years, formative years. Anyway, So we were building Okay Player and my partner Angie Thistle, and I decided to start something called the Oka Player Stalker of the Month. So this guy used to leave these long message about how the roots were you know, these angelic here rose. So long story short, I changed the beeper number and I decided, I guess for my safety, the sort of put these messages up on an okay player.
Speaker 1: This sort of deterred or just in case something happened. Yeah, in case something happened to me.
Speaker 2: I have the strangest feeling that I just hired that person to be in my band.
Speaker 3: Whoa wait, wait, wait a minute, there was an opening in the band.
Speaker 7: Breaking news, breaking news, there was band member.
Speaker 2: Yeah wait wait, this is all I'm saying.
Speaker 1: This is all I'm saying. This is all I'm saying.
Speaker 2: One of the old administrators of Okay Player hands me this old ass photo of me at a record store in Canada with the guy with an afro and it's and it's Joe Elliott.
Speaker 1: Whoa, oh shit.
Speaker 2: And I was like, wait a minute, that's the Okay Player start.
Speaker 1: That's good, that's good. Yeah. So anyway, that's that's how my year is going.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's a good one.
Speaker 2: When someone stalks you and it waits for twenty years, Yeah, then you hire them to be.
Speaker 1: Your stro I admire your long game. Well done.
Speaker 6: That's also a very different ending for misery or we're not there yet. It could be it's just the beginning. It was just the beginning. If you see a sledge lock of wood between between feet and stroe just taking a sledgehammer to him until you finish those beats.
Speaker 1: Kathy Bates hasn't been around the NBC building lately. No, she isn't.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't mind if stro murdered me, you know, like, if anybody's going to murder me, I'd be cool with it. If it was St'd be like whatever. He probably had a reason.
Speaker 1: Probably we are.
Speaker 2: We already we ta Strow a lot because well because show kind of looks like like the black version of Dexter, not Dexter, the Dexter, Dexter's Lab, the cartoonist.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, yeah, so we always joked that, you know, you.
Speaker 8: Thought the murderer, right, why you thought, No Dexter. You didn't think murderer.
Speaker 3: No, not Lumberjack Dexter. That was also something that happened in twenty ten. We need to get to that.
Speaker 7: Are we talking about Dexter? Are we talking about what you're talking about talking about?
Speaker 1: I'm talking about Showtime Dexter, me too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I meant. I was saying that, not Showtime Dexter. So all right, here's the thing we.
Speaker 1: All of us.
Speaker 6: Dexter is a guy who just hangs out on the Q train and dances. You need to clarify, you mean Showtime TV Network Dexter, not Showtime Dexter who danced different guy?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, different and tries not to kick people in the face.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but he always does.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: I know, I know this conversation is going to take a turn for the worst. So what I would like to do at least is to start of the bright spot.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I told everyone here to at least come up with things that made them happy during the decade, for you know, between TV movies and albums and whatever forms of entertainment. So in compiling my list, I realized that I've consumed a lot more, way, much more television than any human being probably should have. And it's in your period, Like I think TV has become my records.
Speaker 1: Yes for me too.
Speaker 6: Can I have your records? Then?
Speaker 1: No, absolutely not?
Speaker 2: But yet and still I've consumed a whole lot of music, but not in a tangible way where it's like, you know, I didn't invest in these records, like I just heard them and streamed them. So I mean, this is the first decade of really like full streaming.
Speaker 8: So it's remember where you used to go by like ten copies of people's records.
Speaker 7: I remember you used to do that.
Speaker 2: I still do it, I mean, but it's as hard as hell to do it.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I purchased like twenty black Messias, oh but bout three.
Speaker 5: That's like, so you think you're interested, Like why do you think this is?
Speaker 2: As a DJ and a member of the Tonight Show, I'm very much aware of what's happening in music, but it's so much overload that I'm a little dismayed that my not to mention all the deaths of my heroes in alarming rates. So I just have this.
Speaker 1: I don't know this.
Speaker 2: I think music is now sort of like to me what bread is to us or water.
Speaker 3: There's a lot more to watch also, you know, yeah, television, they really up their games these last.
Speaker 1: Time television is like the new movies too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I don't know if it's fair of like movie stars, like for Meryl Streep to come to uh, what's the.
Speaker 7: HBO show with the Big Lives?
Speaker 1: Yeah, big little Lives?
Speaker 2: Like I think that's so unfair, Like it's like, Okay, you know you're gonna give her the Emmy.
Speaker 6: Well, but whether it's good or not, it's funny because you say that's unfair. But there was a time in like the eighties and nineties where for a movie star to wind up on television it was like something that bad happened in their career. It was, you know, the equivalent of like going and playing Las Vegas or something like that.
Speaker 2: But everyone's But that to me is also that is what's happening everyone. Everyone's plan b winds up being their work, you know, no matter how much. And now I am like, you know, I'm now ten years into the Tonight Show game, and it doesn't.
Speaker 6: You don't have to brag.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's your humble brag. It doesn't.
Speaker 2: No, it just it doesn't sting as much when like people yell, hey, that's Jimmy Fallon's drummer as it did during the first four years, as if you know, the first four years.
Speaker 1: I felt like.
Speaker 2: That's like a person going on to Michael Jordan being like, oh, you're the actor in those Haynes commercials, or.
Speaker 6: Like, oh you're Phil Jackson's shooting guard.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, sort of sort.
Speaker 6: Of Phil, like Jimmy is the Phil Jackson of the ninety four Chicago Bulls.
Speaker 5: Let's go with the Haynes analogy.
Speaker 1: I like mine better. I'm with white. But that's not because just not because we look alike. Okay, so I know that one said one one, one thing of each, but.
Speaker 7: No it didn't work.
Speaker 1: Yeah some of us, what is it? Like? What's your what was your five TV shows?
Speaker 7: So here's a deal. I did TV shows.
Speaker 8: But I also think it's weird because now we're in a decade where we have all these streaming services. Right, so if you if you just shout out Netflix, you got to like just give honoraries like masters I said, Masters of None, Netflix, Blackmural, Orange, and New Black like things TV shows, right, they are, But I don't want that to be a part of my list.
Speaker 7: I just want to be Netflix and subgenres.
Speaker 1: All right, So go ahead, start with.
Speaker 7: Atl Atlanta, Atlanta, Atlanta.
Speaker 1: Agree with you?
Speaker 7: Game of Thrones?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 7: Yes? Walking Dead?
Speaker 1: Really? All right?
Speaker 2: Do me favorite? Sell me on the Walking Dead. That's that's a powerhouse show that I made a decision to not invest in even though America is obsessed with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I skipped that one too, and shout out to AMC. I still love you.
Speaker 8: Don't drop me yet, but if not, even just for the fall in love of What's My Girl? Deny because you know, Black Panther and evolution of her in the last ten years. But no, Walking Dead is like dope, especially if you're a Game of Thrones watcher. You like a long kind of show situation because you become loyal to the characters and you know, it's such an amazing ensemble of actors that intertwine and change around.
Speaker 7: That is just it's dope.
Speaker 8: It's like and it's like, of course, what would happen to us if all of a sudden it was a disease and the whole fucking you know world turned the zombies do they explain?
Speaker 6: Uh why they're in Georgia and all the zombies are white?
Speaker 8: There are there are black zombies.
Speaker 7: Bombies let me know, you know, I aught they just asky.
Speaker 6: That's a blombie.
Speaker 8: Black zombies and they have to be black zombies because they are black. Black like celebrities that are in the show, like the girl who now has her star Trek thing from Oh Dad, I forget her name.
Speaker 7: God, you better know you do know everything? Why it's sanak? Would you say? What is it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Tell tell her sinko? Wow, Yeah, that's me.
Speaker 1: Why I just go full on disrespectful? Do I go on the Normans. By the way, he is a cheese expert. Mm hmm.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I didn't know the motorcycles.
Speaker 2: We for some reason, we frequent the same cheese spot.
Speaker 6: You have the same cheesemonger.
Speaker 1: You have a cheese spot.
Speaker 7: You still eat cheese.
Speaker 1: No, we are not lactose intolerance.
Speaker 2: Shop at Murray's Cheese, by the way, And I give a lot of my h a lot of my friends who like fancy cheese stuff like you can send them. You can go to Murray's Cheese and they have glasses and teach you how to make molds and stuff that's fascinating.
Speaker 6: And so you've sent a gift to friends to go make cheese.
Speaker 2: Yeah, uh, Zara's almond okay, cheese expert. I put her in the Cheese of the Month club for a birthday once and she ate three months worth of cheese and about a week and.
Speaker 1: A half washed it down with a word of lemon juice. Exactly what?
Speaker 7: And you're sure you're not lactose intolerant. She's very rare, very rare.
Speaker 8: No, I'm not, because I'm just saying now you might not know because I bust shot tonight.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, TV.
Speaker 8: I also wanted Ryan Murphy should be mentioned in the twenty tens. I could not narrow down to just one show because it started with Lee and then it went to American Horror, and then it went to American Horror.
Speaker 3: Was the first couple of seasons I was on board, and then it just got progressively.
Speaker 7: Oh no, it's awesome. What you talking about.
Speaker 1: Now, here's the weird thing.
Speaker 2: I thought American Art Story and Walking Dead with the same joint.
Speaker 7: Oh my god, Mary, you're missing so much in life.
Speaker 8: Like I'd rather you watch American horror stories before you get to Walking Dead, because that's a commitment.
Speaker 7: You know what I'm saying. American Horror story is different every season.
Speaker 1: What say you? Why?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I've never seen either.
Speaker 7: What do you have seen any Ryan Murphy program?
Speaker 6: I think I saw post. I want to sit down and watch that one. I I've been meaning to.
Speaker 2: I'm pose is the kind of the it's the burning Okay, okay, yeah?
Speaker 1: Do want not for best supporting reporter?
Speaker 7: Yes he did, Yes he did.
Speaker 6: Yeah, No, I haven't. I I have been meaning to. But my where Amir apparently has all the time, watch all of the television, all of the records. You gainfully employed at the tonight.
Speaker 7: Show, the stabb is large.
Speaker 1: You know what I did for the first time in the twenty ten I watched The Wire.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you completed The Wire.
Speaker 1: I started and finished it. You even got past season two. It took me a while. But yeah, season two is hard to get by season two?
Speaker 7: It's is that the shipping? Yeah that's hard.
Speaker 6: No, I saw the first two seasons.
Speaker 1: I can't see you didn't get the three, four, and five. It gets better after season two.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was working, you know it's better.
Speaker 1: Oh dude. See.
Speaker 2: The thing is is that these shows I watch, I download on my phone or on my iPad and I watch on the plane or watch backstage at the show.
Speaker 1: So that's how I have time to do it.
Speaker 3: I watch on my which, by the way, life hack that I think I might have for anybody that wants to cut chords, just figure out what shows you watch regularly and by the season pass and then cancel your cable.
Speaker 1: That's hard to do.
Speaker 2: You know what I did this not this Christmas morning? You know what I did last week?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: So I because I have Apple TV. So once you have Apple TV, you don't have to also your cable and all your backup plans either. But yeah, I think I might have to do that because and that scares me to cancel my cable.
Speaker 3: Like I canceled cable then I got with was then Direct TV now and it's now a T T AT and T or whatever.
Speaker 7: They said another message about a channel they're.
Speaker 3: Losing that they keep losing channel and they have about you and wait and they keep they keep jacking up their prices too, like it was the whole uh selling point of that service was supposed to be it was supposed to be cheaper than regular cable. Now it's about the same damn price.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's all just coming. I mean, they're all just bundling it into new cable packages. Like that's I feel like that's the my conspiracy theory, not just mine, but like, okay, the cable model is a successful model. All of these bundlings, whether it's Disney Plus or you know, Apple TV, like they're just finding new ways to be cable, and so at some point they're going to offer you like Okay, yeah, we can give you all of these things, and then here are the special things we can give you the we can give you the Mandalorian or as I should be called, the Baby Yoda Show.
Speaker 7: Oh my god. I would like to also mention when they see us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't finish it. I couldn't finish it. Like I watched the I think the first.
Speaker 2: Part, episode four was hard, like twelve years of slave hard. She did Wait, you just did a legit spit take.
Speaker 1: No, it was hard to stomach.
Speaker 7: It was I just forgot about it.
Speaker 2: But that's weird. Wait, slight confession. I have no horses in the Disney race whatsoever. Well, here's the thing. It's like I missed whatever whatever Disney stuff came out when I.
Speaker 1: Was a kid.
Speaker 7: Marvel though, you know, finish.
Speaker 2: I wasn't all right. Like I didn't watch cartoons as a kid, so all the Marvel stuff I wasn't allowed to watch, you know.
Speaker 1: And you know the Hawaiian Punch story already all right you met because you know, there's a whole bunch of people that don't know that story.
Speaker 2: So basically, when I was three, there was a Hawaiian Punch commercial in which which I think was culturally racist, where like the Hawaiian native guy named Punchy, I will go up to the white tourist and say hey, how about a nice Hawaiian punch, and he'd be all annoying, like the sure, and then he beat the ship out of him and then sell you a fruit can of a wine.
Speaker 3: Please tell me you didn't beat the shut out of some random white person on the street.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 1: I did it to my mother so exactly.
Speaker 2: So then I said, hey, come here, ask me say shure when I asked you for the right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then I said, Mom, I'm gonna say high about a nice and wine punch.
Speaker 1: And you will say two years later, right. And then.
Speaker 2: I cold clocked my mom and they were like, no more television for mirror. So that's I missed out on the Disney train, Like, I didn't see none of the cartoons and then didn't watch Marvel. I was up on the Muppets, but basically when Disney Plus came, I was like, that's a joking with me. And then I realized, never seen Bambi, never seen Dumbo, never seen Beauty and the Beast, never seen Lion King, never seen the.
Speaker 1: Song of the South. Wait, here's here's the deal.
Speaker 2: I've seen one Disney movie in my life and guess what it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the that's the one Disney movie that they do not want you to see. I want them to own their history. Disney.
Speaker 6: All of it was like Uncle Remus and all of the Brare Rabbit stories, and they do a mix of live action and animation, and so in nineteen six, yes, this Uncle Remus was an.
Speaker 2: Old black man who befriends with these white kids and told them stories of Brair Rabbit sometimes and they were like black faced.
Speaker 1: Has anybody actually seen it? Yeah, I've seen other than you. Yeah, you can.
Speaker 6: Find it on right here. I was gonna say it's on archived. I think it's archive dot orgon okay, and you can you can watch.
Speaker 2: I just found the when I when I last, there are a lot of are a lot of ticky tortures, like, yeah, more people need to see this.
Speaker 1: Last went to Disneyland and it's a small world.
Speaker 2: You could see where they like put a new paint job where Brare Rabbit and Brare Bunny and Uncle.
Speaker 6: Splash Mountain is Splash Mountain is tied to all of that stuff, I believe.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, so they just got rid of.
Speaker 6: They got rid of Braer Rabbit.
Speaker 1: I mean.
Speaker 6: The interesting thing about Bray Rabbit is like all of those stories are like it's just like African folklore that got co opted by this white guy who then sold it as like books that you know, sold it as a book of like, oh, these were stories that are our old Negro told us, right, but they're all based like Braer Rabbit is supposed to be like when you didn't when you were on a plantation and you wanted to tell a story about how you maybe got one over on the overseer or the slave master. Brare Rabbit was the stand in for black people, and Breer Fox and Brad Bear were plantation masters and overseers, and all these stories are rooted in telling yeah, which it's like and so there's this very weird thing of like, oh there is something that's amazing about these stories. It's just a shame that it got co opted.
Speaker 1: You know something. It's really like rabbit.
Speaker 6: It stands for is like sure for briar, you know, brother, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: You know something.
Speaker 2: I was doing some research on. All right, this is going to sound weird on step and Fetch It. That's not weird whom Well, okay, because the thing is is that most people know that step and Fetch it is sort of associated with like coonery and.
Speaker 6: Sort of she was very much associated with it.
Speaker 2: You know, not many people know that Step and Fetch it funded one of the first uh Black Shakespearean companies that Paul Robertson and Harry Belafonte came from and subsequently sitting in poty eight as well. And if you sort of look at the history of slang, it's almost slang was crucial to survival. I mean, it's a deep rabbit hole because not many people know that. Sure, laughing was illegal on the plantations. That's where barrel laughs came from.
Speaker 3: We gotta get Amalia in here, yes we do, which I'm gonna get you your recommendation letter.
Speaker 2: Yes, uh shout out to Amalia who taught us that. The idea of the term barrel laughs came from that laughing was allowed on anything was Sassin getting angry, crying, talking back, laughing, talking, which is weird because the only thing that was allowed was singing. And so you know, that's all the coded wading water and all that stuff to run away and escape. But people don't know is that slaves built a barrel and put water in it so that if you felt frustrated or angry or wanted to or go out your mind, you would have to dunk your head in the water and that would suppress the sound and you wouldn't get lashes for as sassing back or talking back. So slang, to some port, slang was basically a way to survive, like humor slang was for code talk, but humor was used as a weapon to sort of kind of put the put people at ease, the overseas at ease from killing you or slashing. So it's almost like I see Step and Fetch It in almost as different a different light now that I've realized that he might have been revolutionary.
Speaker 6: Well in some way, Yeah, you could argue that he is a trickster in that he's presenting as one way to have a different to have a different outcome. If he's presenting as subservient to white people but then using his resources to help fund things that push that pushed for the advancement of black people, Yeah, that's sort of a trickster. That's sort of a trickster role. So yeah, I mean, are you pitching this to me as the HBO documentary that you want to make Step and Fetch It.
Speaker 8: The trickster given away money a mirror you shud stop, he already did it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Also I don't work for HBO anymore, so I can't make it.
Speaker 1: Well, let's do it.
Speaker 6: What I mean, I have other things I'd like to make. But sure, but there But but what you're saying though, I mean, there's even something interesting about that, Like thinking about how like Bill Cosby produced or gave money to Sweet Sweetbacks. Uh, like he helped fund that and helped give Melvin Van Peebles the money he needed to make that movie. And yet at the same time was like at you know, four facing was mister wholesome. Yeah, backwards facing a different a different dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very hard to let him go now that I discovered that reruns are on Amazon.
Speaker 1: Oh I still watch reruns. I yeah.
Speaker 3: But I mean there's there's there are you know, other members of that family of the Huxtables.
Speaker 2: Exactly, that's true. There are there are other members of the Huxtables. All right, So what else was your your TV list? This is Are you sad?
Speaker 1: You know what?
Speaker 2: I'm on Season two? I'm way behind. Is it as sad as everyone?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 8: No, everything's not sad. A lot of things are joyful and some things are joyfully sad.
Speaker 7: You know, it's like, but.
Speaker 1: You faithfully watch this is us.
Speaker 8: Fucking right man ever since the first season dedicated man, really yeah, because the writing.
Speaker 7: Is like amazing.
Speaker 8: Sterling Brown comes from there, Like, hello, you watched the evolution of him for the last ten years.
Speaker 7: He's fucking dope. Even in Predators.
Speaker 1: Predators, Yeah, he was the bad guy.
Speaker 6: I pronounced it, Predators.
Speaker 5: You're gonna fit right in around here.
Speaker 6: Oh good, Okay, And.
Speaker 8: Just in case you're getting bored with me, can I just do one more last final TV mentioned sure anything that Kenya Bears touched.
Speaker 3: I had to because what you don't. I had to skip Grownish because I remember college. I do not want to deal with that ship again.
Speaker 7: And it's like dirty different World.
Speaker 1: I like it, Like that's why I skipped your Wife, Different World. I don't want to deal with that.
Speaker 8: Somebody's pregnant this season? What what?
Speaker 2: No more spoilers because I'm still watching that. I love Grownish. I think I love Grownish a little too much, Like, like I just watched that. It was like, oh, you dumb motherfucker, you're talking at the screen. Yeah, yeah, all right, So listen. I was shouting at the screen, dope, I love I love that, all.
Speaker 1: Right, So what's your what's your five joints?
Speaker 3: It started in the two thousands in the two thousands, but most of it was run in the twenty ten, so.
Speaker 1: Parks and Recreation. Of course. Yes, it might be one of my favorite television shows of all time. I told you it was the New Tank. Yeah, it's probably one of the most perfect TV shows ever. I agree with you. Number two and only the first season True Detective. Oh, of course you're right.
Speaker 3: I didn't see. I didn't see after that weird ass second season.
Speaker 1: I didn't go back. I didn't go back. Number three The Leftovers.
Speaker 7: God, yes, hit Me to anything that Regina King was.
Speaker 1: She did a great job in that hit Me, hit Me to the Left. I've heard of The Leftover. I don't know.
Speaker 3: What I loved about it is is that it didn't really give the audience satisfying answers, and I just that's what I loved most about it, because everybody was like, yeah, it's like a Spike Lee movie, Like you know, everybody's watching the ship and you're like, oh, yeah, we're gonna find out what happened We're gonna find out why all these people are left behind blah blahlah blah blah, and you don't really get the answer to that. And I think that's great that that that that answer was left kind of kind of kind of air and.
Speaker 8: The concept alone, because you don't get different concept like that. Yeah, people, just ten percent of the population just drops out like.
Speaker 3: You don't, you don't, you don't. You don't get all the answers in that show. And that's one of the things I loved most about it. So you know, my my, my imagination gets to fill in some of the blinks.
Speaker 1: Okay, what was that two? Or three? That's three?
Speaker 3: Okay three? Uh number four, mister robot. Yeah, I'm way behind on this this last season. Just gonna binge a whole bunch of them because that's the show that I hate waiting week the week to watch.
Speaker 8: Why that seemed like you would like that show, mister Robot. You don't even have time for that money either.
Speaker 6: I feel like I watched the first season and then I didn't pick up on the I didn't pick up on this second season.
Speaker 1: It didn't entice you or you, just like I don't have time to.
Speaker 6: I feel like it was maybe a mix of things. I think one of the challenges with television in this past decade. There's something that's very nice about shows not having to be sort of boxed into like a twenty two episode season, And I do like that. I feel like twenty two episodes oftentimes not every show needs that. Yeah, But the challenge is the television, the US television sort of market hasn't fully built itself to accommodate those shorter season shows. So if I watched ten episodes of something, then it's about tracking when is the thing coming back? And when it comes back?
Speaker 1: Is that the thing? Is that the thing that I want to re engage with. Is it going to be on the same night? Yeah? Is it gonna be the same night? Is it?
Speaker 6: And And so I feel like that's one of those things that I don't think American television has done very well as far as trying to figure out, like, Okay, do we just make like a fall season and a spring season and a summer season and we all as networks and streaming services kind of agree to that. No, And so I think that's where it's it's tough because like the one thing they have agreed to is okay. Well, when September hits, you got new shows coming out and there's all that excitement. But then yeah, if some show pops up in October, it's kind of like, oh wait what and and don't forget.
Speaker 8: In the twenty tens, we discovered the mid season what the fuck? Like the mid season finales? The mid what Power did? And they split it out and have And I.
Speaker 1: Just realized I forgot another show?
Speaker 7: Was Power?
Speaker 1: No? Well damn can I have like three more? Go ahead? All right? Scandals?
Speaker 7: Yeah, keep it real.
Speaker 1: Scandal.
Speaker 3: That that was I guess you could say that was my guilty pleasure. That was my guilty pleasure for the decade.
Speaker 2: But I actually thought Scandal was good. It started out good, it ended Yeah, it went a.
Speaker 1: Little too long.
Speaker 7: I got to get Away with Murder.
Speaker 1: But it was one of those shows that I had to I had to step off Wait, what train? What joints?
Speaker 3: Did you step off the train? On How to get Away with Murder? I stopped during the first season. Me too, Yeah, I stepped off the train. Yeah, it just I couldn't get into it. Like the characters, I didn't give a fuck about them.
Speaker 1: I wantdn't care what happened loyalty?
Speaker 3: I wanted to why? Oh wait wait, I got I got two more. I got two more. Y'all gonna think I'm crazy for this one. I watch everything. So Doctor pimple.
Speaker 7: Popper, I've heard, dude, this one.
Speaker 2: Dude, she was in the hallway a month ago and Tariq and our makeup lady lost their minds the Asian lady or whatever.
Speaker 1: It is, doctor Lee. So people, do you know what this is?
Speaker 7: I do, I can't watch it.
Speaker 1: Do you know what this is? Steve television show of a sexy woman.
Speaker 6: They sell it's just no dermatologies. Let me let me have to put your male games on this.
Speaker 3: Let me tell you something, Doctor pimple Popper is one of the most feel good television shows you'll ever watch your entire life. Yes, Like she's out here changing people's lives. Like you watch, you know the backstory before you know, the patient comes in and you know these people are having like serious problems. You know, they're like, you know, I've got this big thing on my neck that you know, it's really affecting. I can't do such and such and such, you know, normal ship. And then they get this ship taken off their neck and they're just you know, they're crying tears of joys because they can I.
Speaker 6: Can stalk a mirror.
Speaker 2: They do slow motion.
Speaker 7: You see, isn't it just batched?
Speaker 2: I've never I never watched no.
Speaker 3: Like you see, like she's either you know, she'll sometimes you know, pop blackheads, which is some of them, like the most satisfying.
Speaker 7: Ship to watch, because I do like the pops.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then like you know, sometimes she you know, she's removing cys from people or you know, has.
Speaker 2: She ever met a pimple she couldn't pop because.
Speaker 3: I feel I feel like there has been a couple of them, but like they weren't exactly pimples.
Speaker 6: All right, So Steve, Steve Rick, I can't help you. You're just going to have to kill yourself. Steve, I'll leave the rooms.
Speaker 2: Steve knows Maria at work now my job, there's a woman that does our makeup and glam and like she lives for popping pimples, which I was taught in the beginning.
Speaker 1: Never away.
Speaker 7: There's a way you want to do it, yes, with the needle.
Speaker 3: Well, you like there's all the ship that she you know, you just got to watch the ship. It's just fascinating, Like, do.
Speaker 1: You eat food when you watch this thing? Okay, let me tell you. Don't eat cottage cheese, don't eat oatmeal, mashed potatoes.
Speaker 3: Don't eat mashed potatoes, and and and buffalo.
Speaker 1: Do not plan to handle raw chicken afterwards?
Speaker 7: Why does chicken?
Speaker 3: Because she also removes like these things called la pomas, which are like basically like fat deposits under the skin, and when she pulls them out, they basically look like raw chicken, like a raw chicken breast.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jesus and Mary are they?
Speaker 2: Okay, here's my confession.
Speaker 1: Both.
Speaker 2: Okay, here's my confession. Since the move to Showtime, I've been very slow.
Speaker 1: To keep up. Really, I actually feel like the show is better now that it's on Showtime.
Speaker 2: All right, well, I just missed the daily updates. That yeah, I miss the daily updates too. I like it when it was like talk soup.
Speaker 3: But you know, the the level of guests they have now are higher. Like just just just seeing Jesus and Marylyn in a room with Elizabeth Warren's cool. That's just weird as fuck, you know, well, not weird as fuck, it's just crazy as fuck.
Speaker 1: You know or or who else did they have? They have?
Speaker 3: They have, they have a lot of the guests are a lot better, okay, now that they're on showtime.
Speaker 1: So what.
Speaker 2: Are you a Are you a TV connoisseur or you're one of these Brooklyn cats that don't own a TV.
Speaker 6: I do own a television. I do watch television, enjoy television. I feel like on some level because I work in television, I try to watch television when I can. But yeah, as far as shows, So here's the thing. You texted me, and you were like, just pick a show for the decade, and so I didn't necessarily see it as what my favorite shows were. I was looking like, what is a show that to me the best? Defined You're so smart the decade?
Speaker 7: I was right about you.
Speaker 6: But no, this was just she was vague, but.
Speaker 7: You remixed that in your mind.
Speaker 1: Like you we went, we took the easy way out.
Speaker 6: No, I mean there are a lot of like Atlanta is a great show. I think, you know, there are shows where I think about, oh, for what they're doing as far as the culture and storytelling, the idea. Insecure, Yeah, I was gonna say Insecure Atlanta, Like, there are shows that are pushing what uh you know what television can be for for both black creators and black viewers and hopefully you.
Speaker 8: Know is really black and black and I am loving it. I gotta say.
Speaker 6: But if I was, but if I was gonna uh yes, bl audience, but if thank you we finally we finally come together on something.
Speaker 1: What did you say, audience, Yeah, blodience.
Speaker 6: Isn't that what you said?
Speaker 5: I said, blombies. I was talking about the black zombies.
Speaker 3: Black audience just recoined a new phrase, turn off Steve on the headphone station.
Speaker 6: No, I'm just gonna turn Steve down. So I was thinking of shows that defined the decade. And so to me, a show that defined the decade to me.
Speaker 1: Was Breaking Yes, Yes, Yes.
Speaker 6: And the reason I feel like it defined the decade is because there were a lot of shows in the last ten years and not even say the last fifteen years that all kind of had a similar thing, which was, like, suburban white guys who aren't happy just in their lives, so let's give them some nefarious shit to do. So you look at like the Sopranos and it's like, oh, here's a story about like suburban dad who works in construction, but it's like, oh no, that's not enough. Let's make him a mob boss.
Speaker 3: I mean, if we really want to keep it funky, breaking bad. It was just a gender flip version of weeds.
Speaker 8: Wow.
Speaker 6: But I feel like as a genre, this the last decade has been about like all these beta white people trying to feel special like there's nothing wrong, Like being a science teacher is like a cool job, it's an amazing thing. And it's like, oh no, let's make him a villain. And it just seemed like, Oh, let's celebrate the worst in these care in these people. And let's not like like there was a time when TV was like, oh, it's the white shadow and it's like Dragnet where cops actually like you know, talk to people as opposed to like cops who shoot up, like you know, it's just like.
Speaker 1: As opposed to cops.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well but it's but it is this weird thing where I feel like this has been the decade of villainy, and like, let's make regular people like, let's let's normalize villainy in this way that it's not just the worst of the worst who can be villains?
Speaker 1: A science teacher can be a villain? Is it really normalizing villainy.
Speaker 6: I think that it is. I think that I like, I was, I was watching college basketball the other day and there was a commercial for a lawnmower and it was a lawnmower called bad Boy Lawnmowers bad Boy, and there's just something about like and it's.
Speaker 1: Bad Boy Records in ninety four bad Boy.
Speaker 6: But I think that was like slang wise, it it meant it different. I think on some level, I'm not. I think it was different in a way that it was still counter culture in a way that was like when you look at like these commercials, it's like, oh, here's some person in their khaki pants and their lawnmower, and it's like, I'm a bad mode right right with my.
Speaker 3: Lawnmower, like HOMEI in office space, driving down the street, listening to ghetto boys.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but not to not to mention like hot topics of like the decades or whatever.
Speaker 7: But y'aller of the twenty tens.
Speaker 8: But that goes back to like the Esquire cover, Remember that the Esquire cover with the American what's it called an American boy with the.
Speaker 7: White woman cover in danger and stuff. It all goes back. Never mind y'all don't remember this cover right here like this American.
Speaker 8: Ship.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 7: Now my point is going to people who are listening to what.
Speaker 1: I'm talking anyway, No, I don't remember remember this as a.
Speaker 7: This was I'm sorry. Here you go.
Speaker 1: Into the microphone, please.
Speaker 8: Twenty eighteen and the cover set an American boy, What is like to grow up? White, middle class and a male and an era of social media, school shootings, toxic maxiculinity, hashtag me too in a divided country.
Speaker 7: This is like a very controversial talk.
Speaker 1: About social media tonight that was like you don't remember this?
Speaker 6: I saw I remember that. Yeah, but it is a weird thing when you look at television and it's like it's kind of surprising that with all of the sort of villainy that has been presented, that there hasn't yet been a show of like of a school shooter like that. Like you think about, like what was then like a comedy, Like I'm thinking about what.
Speaker 7: Was the show crime Story something like that?
Speaker 6: You mean, well, but what was the show that Claire was it? Claire Danes?
Speaker 1: No, like that show?
Speaker 6: Like thinking about like a show like that where it's like, okay, what if we take a terrorist, and we normalize this white terrorist and we make them a flawed character that you should feel love for, and it just feels like, oh, okay, Dexter, Let's take a serial killer and make them this flawed character that you should feel love for and breaking bad like.
Speaker 1: All these show. Isn't that kind of a trope that's by writers since day one?
Speaker 7: Brody became a billionaire.
Speaker 8: I was just saying, Brody from that show is just interesting, that guy who you they hear hear the clar Daine show, Brody became a billionaire.
Speaker 6: No, that's billions.
Speaker 1: That's completely unrelated.
Speaker 7: Funny, but let me have my joy.
Speaker 2: I forgot what I was trying to say now because because of that, she's smoking her joy.
Speaker 6: No, but you were saying you were talking about because I was, I was saying.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: These villains, Yeah, it's it's it's kind of like a trope that writers have kind of used from day one, but by putting people in disparate situations.
Speaker 6: Sure, but I don't think it has been as focused on humanizing villains in the way that it to that it has today.
Speaker 8: I mean another one, Lucifer, I mean scarface Lucifer, that was a good show too.
Speaker 7: I did watch Guilty.
Speaker 6: Place Scarface, okay, name five more like I feel like so many other movies Scarface. To me, Scarface stands out on some level because it's uniqueness of that time. I feel like so many of the other films, Like, I mean.
Speaker 3: That that could just be that could just be the uh what's the word I'm looking for?
Speaker 1: Well? Does the wire count or.
Speaker 6: Could count in that too? I mean, because you talk about Scarface, but I think about like, okay, like something like The Taking Appellem one two three, Like it is about these guys who are trying to rob a train, but it's really more about you know, Jerry Stiller and Walter Mathow and these people who are trying to who have been terrorized by this person.
Speaker 3: Let's be real, New Jack City, we were all kind of rooting for Nino Brown.
Speaker 7: Sure, sometimes they write the villain more interesting, but.
Speaker 2: I think point til Christopher Williams hands got fucked.
Speaker 3: Up, pretty motherfucker never liked you anyway.
Speaker 6: But I also think there's something different when it comes to like movies and television that were created with black leads, because there's there's also the part of it where it's like if you go back and you think about like the Cosby Show, what made the Cosby Show so unique for its time was like, Okay, here is a middle class black family where.
Speaker 1: They organized people.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but it was like it went the other way where it was like they can be doctors and they can be lawyers as because because everything else had been oh no, you're crooks, your criminals like you know you like And so I think there's something that for so many movies for black people, and I think even thinking about like bad Boy or something like that, so much of black culture had been placed as you all are the villains in white society. You agree with me, right, Steve?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you are.
Speaker 6: Sign he whispered it and that sugar Steve, you don't reach him at.
Speaker 2: You can print that. There's there's fighting where Steve, Steve, what did you watch?
Speaker 6: Man?
Speaker 1: I'm sorry?
Speaker 5: Do you.
Speaker 1: Breaking bad? Breaking bad? To? What else? I mean?
Speaker 6: So, yeah, that was with that idea of like, I think the last decade has been the decade of celebrating white villainy.
Speaker 7: But what did you laugh at this year?
Speaker 1: But what did I enjoy?
Speaker 7: What did you enjoy?
Speaker 6: There are definitely things I enjoyed. I said, Atlanta. I enjoyed Atlanta. I mean, I still enjoy Atlanta because they'll be making new episodes. I enjoy Insecure. I've been enjoying Watchmen.
Speaker 7: Yes, talk about it, I don't.
Speaker 1: We talked.
Speaker 7: Listen, y'all. It is so and who knew that they were going to start off.
Speaker 8: I'm sorry, I didn't read the book series, but when they started off so black with black, but.
Speaker 6: There's nothing in the book. There's nothing in the book that is that. And honestly, I never gave a shit about the book because I didn't feel like, I like, it was just like none. I didn't have any connection to it and this and it just felt like okay, I like, I've heard tons of dudes to tell me like Watchman is the best thing, and it was just like, it's fine, Like I get it. It's flawed Superman and flawd Batman beginning.
Speaker 7: It's the foundation, all right.
Speaker 1: So if I'm gonna watch that, do I need to watch the movie first? No?
Speaker 8: No, I will say this why it came absolutely funky. You do need a sort of a guy like you should google who the characters?
Speaker 6: Just read a Wikipedia on Watchman, Like, honestly, if anyone was like, hey, should I read the graphic novel? I would just say, read the Wikipedia like like, that's just that's honestly.
Speaker 8: Revew of employing Lou Gossip Junior Like, and he's fucking dope.
Speaker 6: He yes, yeah, you know that's what's up Virginia.
Speaker 7: That Regina King touched in this decade is gold. That's it.
Speaker 6: Also talked about theovers.
Speaker 1: Damon Lindelof who.
Speaker 7: Anything that he was also in You Won? Does she?
Speaker 1: Does she want anything for American Crime? Yes?
Speaker 7: She did? She want Tommy.
Speaker 6: She's Meryl Street Lindelof.
Speaker 7: Is he.
Speaker 6: Damonlyn Uh? Did the leftovers? He also did lost.
Speaker 7: I'm glad I could commit to one y.
Speaker 1: I just I just started.
Speaker 2: I was going to skip the Watchman Don't No No, And then when I saw the Tulsa story and that, I was like, oh, and then.
Speaker 7: That's how I got you get your parents to get in on it.
Speaker 1: And then when they sent me a note.
Speaker 7: Taken to the Museum Blacksonian.
Speaker 2: Wait, this, Mike count is my This shouldn't count as my humble brag, but I got note that episode three was inspired from my discovery of my ancestry.
Speaker 1: You didn't see that, did you?
Speaker 7: I saw episode three, but I'm trying to.
Speaker 2: Email me and basically said that I wrote this episode kind of inspired by your If you look up Questlove and Watchman. It basically the director breaks down that my episode discovery of my Benen ancestry. Yeah, because on the Last Ship would be season four, episode nine of Finding Your Roots with Henry Lewis Gates Junior, who.
Speaker 8: Was the Secretary of State in this alternate universe where Robert Redford is the president.
Speaker 1: What I wonder, Yeah, I wonder that's why.
Speaker 6: I wonder if that's why they made him the put him in the episode, because they were like, you know what, he's a stronger actor than a mirror in this tribute.
Speaker 7: I mean, he did give a mirror the information.
Speaker 1: Let's give him a credit. He did. He did great work. Is a corpse in that Law and Order episode.
Speaker 7: So yeah, but f y, I just a cheater.
Speaker 8: For everybody who has never hasn't watched Watchmen or confused, you should know. I just read this that it's based on if America. Damn was it that we lost the Vietnam and we won Vietnam and it became a state?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 6: Yes? Yeah? Yeah, yeah? Can I do another show that I like.
Speaker 5: Hurry, yeah, black Villain, I'm running out of time over there.
Speaker 6: Oh, it looks like we're out of time.
Speaker 1: Sorry.
Speaker 6: See, I guess you'll have to tell us your favorite shows on the next episode of Yeah, it'll be in the it'll be on the extras, which we'll have left the room and you can record those. I mentioned this show to a mirror recently, and I really like this show. It's an animated show called Craig of the Creek.
Speaker 1: Yes, introduce me to this show.
Speaker 6: Yeah, let me rate that now. And it's on Cartoon Network and it is no, it's regular cartoon network. But it's all about this little boy named Craig who hangs out in a creek with all like all the it's in the neighborhood, all hang out in this creek and they have their whole, like their own like sort of laws of governance and their whole in an economy, and it is like in like a nice way, and it is the most diverse cast of children.
Speaker 1: And then like Craig is a black kid.
Speaker 6: Craig is a black kid. It's like the whole thing. But they're all these like subtle, like subtle jokes like there's it's a very funny gift you can find, but there's a clip you can find of Craig and his dad are trying to have a barbecue and they Craig tries to help and some stuff catches on fire, and so he and his dad are trying to put it out and it's going horribly wrong. And there's a moment where Craig's older brother shows up with his girlfriend who's white, and she walks in and she's like, hey, I brought potato salad and the hose just splashes her.
Speaker 9: And they're just like all these jokes that are like clearly like above children's heads, but are so like perfect and wonderful.
Speaker 1: And it's like when I watch Animaniacs now as an adult. Yeah, but the subtle, all the adult humor that just went over my head.
Speaker 6: But it's such a good show. And Craig of the Creek they did a Thanksgivings. How many seasons I think they've done.
Speaker 1: Two seasons, sixty episodes.
Speaker 6: That's what I was gonna say.
Speaker 2: The difference between adult swim and just comedy. Ye, adult starts after ten Yeah, oh that's where the risky jokes coming down.
Speaker 8: Had shout out to Robot Chicken's Eric and Rick and Morty.
Speaker 7: This was just a decade of Brick and Morty.
Speaker 1: Thank you for saying, Steve am, I am?
Speaker 6: I free to go now?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Oh okay, Steve, Yes, tell everybody what your favorite show is, Steve, I feel like it's a ninety day fiance type of person.
Speaker 1: Steve loves hit.
Speaker 5: Me, Seinfeld reruns.
Speaker 2: Come on, you know Goodwill the show you love? What show do you know about more than any show? Tokyo Tony is Finding Love a sp.
Speaker 7: Shut the fuck up, China, Mama.
Speaker 5: I don't know Designated Survivor.
Speaker 1: I've never heard of that. Actually I have heard of it. I don't know.
Speaker 5: With Guilty Pleasure, but I don't know. I'm not sure what you're trying to reference.
Speaker 7: What is the show?
Speaker 1: Steve?
Speaker 2: You know every iota about Watch What's Happened?
Speaker 7: You've been there, you said in the audience. I remember that many times, many times. That's fast.
Speaker 5: I don't watch it, but my girl does. And that's what he's that's what he's making.
Speaker 1: You're a fan by by default. Yeah, I mean, and he's cool.
Speaker 2: You know a lot about it about.
Speaker 7: Andy Cohen, that would be awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, going back to my ma.
Speaker 3: Dis and Marrow had Andy Cohen and Anderson Cooper on at the same time, and it was probably one of the best fucking interviews.
Speaker 7: They do a tour.
Speaker 5: Yeah, all right, I'll tell you my you know all the White shows you missed.
Speaker 7: That's fine, we'll take it.
Speaker 5: But House of Cards, no, what you watched?
Speaker 1: Yeah? What? What? This is what I watched.
Speaker 7: Wat Robin season That last season was was pretty shitty.
Speaker 3: Like I didn't I haven't watched the last two seasons I did watch. I couldn't get through it.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna make it.
Speaker 5: I'm just saying the show prop Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the first few seasons were great.
Speaker 5: Orange is New Black obviously did you finish it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Uh so.
Speaker 5: I'm just realizing they're all like Netflix shows. The Crown, Oh my god.
Speaker 7: See take a moment for the Crown because you like it?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, who's in it? Who's in it?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 8: Well, Claire Foy was in the first Come on, you know you have to talk about this, Steve.
Speaker 5: I'll talk when there's when there's a break in the.
Speaker 7: Talk, go ahead.
Speaker 2: Sorry, yeah, it's all good. You've got the floor, Steve, Okay and continue, No, no, tell.
Speaker 1: Me about the show. I've never heard of it. I've heard of it, but I don't know about it.
Speaker 5: Oh all right, mind hunters. They're on Netflix shows. So I'm trying.
Speaker 1: I don't have I'm trying to go frown.
Speaker 8: It's about the life of Queen Elizabeth in the Monarchy, okay, number one, Clairefoy is start right, and Clairefoy was initially the star in the first two seasons and now they've changed. She's age and my girl from ah, what's the movie where in.
Speaker 1: Two years and two years now the queen is old.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they've aged.
Speaker 2: Didn't even let Clairefoyd other ship to do.
Speaker 5: But I think there was some issue, like there was some problem and.
Speaker 2: She uh like she was twenty five and then so I'm saying that fifty seven's forty.
Speaker 5: I'm saying like a legal problem or some dispute between her and that's what Claire. I'm not sure exactly what happened, but did she could.
Speaker 8: Won the Oscar for that movie where she was the queen and she was having an affair with the two women. She plays Queen Elizabeth and Helen Bottom Carter plays Queen Elizabeth. Helate thank You plays Queen Elizabeth's sister princess and it's really good.
Speaker 7: Sorry, it's like a soap opera.
Speaker 6: Can I add another show? Sorry, Steve.
Speaker 7: Favorite, Yes, thank you.
Speaker 6: Fargo season two?
Speaker 7: Is that Kirson Duns That was the.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that was the one with Bokine Woodbine.
Speaker 1: Chris I didn't finish that season. Season one was that smart.
Speaker 7: It was smart killing this. She killed the decade.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, Chris Rock, who's doing it this year?
Speaker 7: And he's doing far.
Speaker 1: Yo dog like he's in character.
Speaker 2: He has to be in character, and like what I se if I just died, Like Chris Rock has to uh his hair looks like it's it's like a counk oh oh yeah, like David Ruffing temptations.
Speaker 1: Oh like and I was like, what the hell?
Speaker 2: He's like, no, I'm not an agent and I have to do this for Fargo.
Speaker 1: So all year he's been rocking.
Speaker 7: Like Chris Wait to see him not play Chris Rock.
Speaker 1: He yo. I didn't even recognize him, like he you know, I.
Speaker 5: Don't hate anybody.
Speaker 1: Have more shows, more shows, give us more TV. Well, I'm saving the best for last.
Speaker 6: So as far as Fargo season two, do you want to talk about Fargo season two.
Speaker 5: I don't know what that is.
Speaker 1: I saw. I saw the movie Fargo. They made a TV.
Speaker 7: It's really good.
Speaker 1: TV. You guys watch all this stuff.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so I never saw the Americans, but I didn't. I heard it was great, Steve, do you want to talk about the Americans?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know what that is.
Speaker 7: The Russians.
Speaker 1: It was on a MC, it was on FX.
Speaker 7: Oh ship all right?
Speaker 1: Anyway, the y'all forgot about mad Men. I never watched it. I don't never. I loved mad never watched it.
Speaker 3: I just couldn't finish the first season. Okay, it's like I wanted to. I just couldn't get into it.
Speaker 1: I love Madman and Bill Maher wasn't in it.
Speaker 5: So you guys can watch it you want.
Speaker 7: Bill, I didn't.
Speaker 5: I mean, he's a pretty spectacular figure from this decade.
Speaker 1: Yeah you was that your that? What the end? Yeah? I watched a whole lot of television. Ship.
Speaker 2: So I'm just gonna pick five because I literally looked down the list and I was like, Yo.
Speaker 1: I watch a lot of television. I could get so much.
Speaker 2: I could go back to twenty one jobs if I stopped watching television.
Speaker 7: I need a sta.
Speaker 2: I'll say that, yo, my favorite regular Network show.
Speaker 1: What was The Good Wife? Skipped it? Think about it? The Good Wife was awesome. You just love I know, well, I loved What's your Name?
Speaker 6: Christine?
Speaker 2: No, We'll heard too, but uh, I enjoyed The Good Wife because I loved archiep and Jabi's character in that show, and also.
Speaker 5: Especially Julia though yeah, well.
Speaker 1: I love the show.
Speaker 2: We didn't mention last week with John Oliver, we mentioned Masters and none shout out.
Speaker 3: Wait hold on last week with John Oliver, it's just been too much, like not not him, just just been too much going on that that.
Speaker 1: Having him, you know, reiterate where reiterate everything. It's just been kind of just a lot.
Speaker 2: But they also like like the op into stories that yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, but that should be news.
Speaker 1: But we're so preoccupied with right right right, the politicals.
Speaker 3: I'm just at the point right now where I'm just fatigued with everything and I just want everybody to shut.
Speaker 1: The up and go away.
Speaker 2: Great contributions, Dog, I miss my boy aunt. Uh. Parts of Known was also a mine any parts of I love drunk History.
Speaker 6: And you did drunk History.
Speaker 1: Can we move on from television. Wait, I'm just saying that.
Speaker 2: All right, I'll just go down the list. I actually kind of like Marvelous this is didn't watch it, even though it was short lived. I love tre may Too.
Speaker 1: I didn't watch that. I didn't watch it. I missed all of that shit. Like I didn't have HBO for most of the decade. So that's David Simon's for me.
Speaker 8: I know, that's one of them shows you're like, you're embarrassed if you're kind of artsy that you didn't watch it.
Speaker 1: Okay, So speaking of embarrassed there like slight Uh.
Speaker 2: I mean I didn't watch most of the sopranos. So what I didn't have HBO? Oh well, okay.
Speaker 6: Were those the Harlem years? No?
Speaker 3: Those those were the bead style years. Those were the Bill is still trying to be in the record industry of years. So Bill has absolutely no money, you know, you know what?
Speaker 1: All right, here's the deal.
Speaker 2: I emotionally invested. Now, it's weird that you think you're and I agree with you to a point that Breaking Bad probably did sum up the decade. But when I was thinking of what really summed up the decade for us, my assessment was Girls mother fucker.
Speaker 7: How dare you?
Speaker 2: I didn't say I liked girls.
Speaker 7: No, no, no, no, that was.
Speaker 1: See how you're reacting right now? That is what? No no, no, no, no, no no listen question. Listen. You know I'm with you. No no, no, no, I'm not. But I'm saying that.
Speaker 2: I'm saying that also, like police brutality was the thing in twenty ten, I'm thinking that show, dude, I'm telling you.
Speaker 6: Girls the first season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hate watch the first season. Well wait, here's the thing. Who was the which which uh? Which website.
Speaker 2: Would which website would analyze each episode and the snarkiest listen?
Speaker 3: They could be one of many. It was either a vy avy club probably, Yeah, that was one of the ones. I probably read.
Speaker 2: Their Their snark was so awesome that I actually had to watch the show and read the snark and they were episode by the episode. Would never no, no, no, You're you're missing the whole point. I I feel as though that show represented what happened in the last ten years.
Speaker 1: Damn was it really that shitty?
Speaker 6: But I would but I would say I agree with you, and then where I would I see you and I would raise you? Is keeping up with the Kardashian Hey as another basically like Girls, with shittier writing.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and more black people.
Speaker 6: You're right, more yeah, more black people owned by white people.
Speaker 8: Oh damn own god, damn Lamar.
Speaker 1: Here's here's what I really got.
Speaker 2: Going in my my favorite The only part I genuinely liked about Girls was the cold open because for me, uh, we.
Speaker 7: Have to talk about when they go there.
Speaker 1: Again.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying this as an endoor. I'm saying this as an observation of what the city last ten years we've been living, which you're not listening to me.
Speaker 7: But he's walking dead for that analogy.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean as a person who watched the show.
Speaker 6: That's what the Kardashians call all the black people on their show.
Speaker 5: When you said girls, I thought you meant actual girls.
Speaker 1: I didn't know.
Speaker 2: I didn't know, No, Lena Dunham, No, I just felt that, you know, just with with gentrification and sort of uh, I guess you would.
Speaker 1: Call it entitlement.
Speaker 2: And yeah, you're just again not listening to me when I tell you that I'm saying, I'm saying that, yes, that this show probably best describes what the last ten years have been at least from my observation.
Speaker 6: Show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I tried to get into that. I don't want to say it was bad. I just couldn't high maintenance on.
Speaker 7: HBO The Couch on to what's the stand up show? Oh Boy?
Speaker 1: That had.
Speaker 6: Crashing crashing.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know what, I'm really angry that they got rid of Detroiters. But I've never brey laughed harder at a show than Detroits. And I really wish you introduced me to Oh Boy too, Sam, or to Tim at Tim at s n L back when.
Speaker 7: He was Sam beat. Oh my god, he's a sleeper, like he's really talented.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Tim, Yeah, Tim, Tim's Tim's great.
Speaker 1: Tim.
Speaker 6: And I watched Tyson Chandler break his leg in front of us at a Knicks game at UH and then the next day the back pages were pictures of Tyson Chandler like holding his legs on the court, and all you see is me and Tim just both like.
Speaker 2: Look, none of us mentioned handmate's till either, which you know, there's so much you know we can I.
Speaker 1: Ask you serious question.
Speaker 5: You guys ever watched stuff besides shows like sports or c SPAN.
Speaker 6: Watch a lot of Jeopardy.
Speaker 5: I mean, I don't want to go down the rabbit hole of news and MSNBC and you know, Rachel Matta, I'm watching all these Trump related shows. I understand why why people watch them or don't watch them at this point, but like that's why I started to watch c SPAN more just for.
Speaker 7: You hold you.
Speaker 5: It seemed almost it seems more normal than watching the news.
Speaker 7: Just because there's a straight feet yeah.
Speaker 5: And it's just yeah, there is no no Commentaryllo, And did you.
Speaker 6: Ever watch PBS News Hour? No, give that a shot. It's an hour PBS CBS News Hour.
Speaker 1: They still Channel thirteen.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean I don't know your TV. Oh all right, we really got to move.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we missed this whole music.
Speaker 1: So look with music, can we just all right?
Speaker 7: I got an orders of the decade, fucking I.
Speaker 1: Am not a decade.
Speaker 2: Can we can we just do one album that you would ride for?
Speaker 1: One album? Okay, when out when I'm the ride for I got it? He Mi Sell and Diggio Tello Devil's Halo really, yes, okay, I love that. I love the one afterwards.
Speaker 2: More comfort or no comfort weather, yes, yeah, but yes, you're right, Devil's Halo was the one for me.
Speaker 1: We shall come on the show.
Speaker 2: Please yeah, dog like you? What was your where's the album?
Speaker 8: I'm sorry, it's just wanted to be anything and impact related outside of ox.
Speaker 1: Star, but it's growing on it over Malib.
Speaker 8: No I'm outside, I said, but Oxnart, I said anything and.
Speaker 1: Just say Malibu so we can move on, all right?
Speaker 7: But I like this? What was the last one with Ventur?
Speaker 1: You just like which one?
Speaker 7: Fuck?
Speaker 1: Pick one?
Speaker 7: Ventour?
Speaker 8: You know?
Speaker 1: Good? Will?
Speaker 6: You like?
Speaker 7: I like it all?
Speaker 6: Next Pink Polo, I gotta tie. I'm gonna go to Pimp a Butterfly and the Seed at the table. If I had an honorable mention, my dark horse honorable mention is uh nineteen ninety nine by Joey Badass. Just to that thought, it was like an interesting see, like an interesting album seeing somebody who is this current generation of rapper embrace a sound and a style that harkens back to hip hop of like my time, And so it felt like it was a nice sort of bridge between between the two. And also it was just very thoughtful.
Speaker 3: I can appreciate what Jolly Bass is doing, but I much preferred him as a as a cast member of Mister Robot.
Speaker 1: He was a mister robot. Wow, Okay, have.
Speaker 6: You ever seen his his rendition of when Doves Cry?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 1: Yes, no, I haven't you. I'm scared to see that. I don't want to do it. I don't want to see Joey bad. I don't want to see because I have a negative if that's what you call it.
Speaker 6: He's like, it's he's sort of taking the song and reinterpret it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he didn't even to do that, and.
Speaker 6: It's it's very like, it's very creative an interesting because you've got like a live band behind him, and there's there there's like a whole thing on. There's this Australian radio thing where they do it's called like a version. Oh yeah, I'm familiar and so yeah, they have like an artist do one of their songs and then they also do a lot of the song that they that they like or I've listened to a lot of those and a lot of times I find them quite regrettable, and this sounds like one of them that would be quite regretted.
Speaker 1: Even worse still, the.
Speaker 2: Same song, Steve, Yeah, your favorite album of this decade?
Speaker 1: Nothing, m h.
Speaker 2: Not even album, not even Elvis Costello's Wake Up Ghosts.
Speaker 6: Or not even James Poyser's intro to why It's the Next Problem areas.
Speaker 8: Wow, wow, look at that, shout out James.
Speaker 2: I gotta say that this this uh decade, I've listened to more comedy albums than I've had records. Like I'll listen to our stream records and you know, I'll get records for DJ gigs.
Speaker 1: But won't listen to them.
Speaker 2: But as far as like from beginning to end, comedy albums were probably the album that I consume the most this decade, And I.
Speaker 1: Kind of have a tie.
Speaker 2: Uh, how'd you know taking Na Tarros Live where she she does a bit where seven hours before she just got diagnosed with cancer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, and so.
Speaker 2: It it's probably one of the greatest recorded moments. Like to hear her in almost real time, I'm like process being handed this death sentence in front of an audience and still trying to be funny like the whole you know what, what's the rule why of what comedy is? Like tragedy plus tragedy time equal yeah plus time comedy, Like just.
Speaker 1: Agree no, is it true?
Speaker 6: That's true?
Speaker 2: Timeless tragedy, Yeah, timeless tragedy equals comedy and so I felt it was that. However, probably Yeah, the album that.
Speaker 1: Had me jaw.
Speaker 2: Dropped, Like is this still allowed Jamar Neighbors America's Nigga was.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's like we were listening to it like it was the the a New Tribe call Quest record, Like it was like two in the morning, Me Neil Brennan, Dave Chappelle sitting in the car listen, sitting to Jamar Neighbors like jaw dropped, and it's it's just a mixtape, but to me, like and I feel like it's the last bit of comedy that got created before the Me Too movement, like none of none of the contents and don't take my endorsement as you know, shitting on UH women or whatever the movement or progress.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everything that he says. Do you know Jamar Neighbors at all? What? I don't know, if it's kind of down.
Speaker 6: I know who Jamar is, I don't. I don't think we've ever actually met, uh face to face. But I know Jerrod and we know a lot of people in common, but I don't think he and I have ever connected.
Speaker 2: I just literally thought that everything that was taboo and couldn't be said on record was done with and over with and we were just like beyond it all, like everything was normalized. But yeah, like he found a way to fuck us up even more.
Speaker 6: So.
Speaker 1: Yeah, shout out to putting that on my list.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Jamar Neighbors. Yeah, it's it's a mixtape. You can find it on SoundCloud. And because I love you so much, like you just give another album.
Speaker 8: Really, okay, I put don't judge me, but I put Jah for you know what I put four four four?
Speaker 7: Really I did, and you know I don't do that. I don't ride for him, but I did love four for four. It was the black Has I ever heard him? I kind of loved it.
Speaker 2: I don't all right, I might go to hell for this.
Speaker 1: We still want Jay on the show, so don't burn any bridges.
Speaker 7: No, I did enough of that one.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I believe Lemonade or four four four.
Speaker 7: I did have Lemonade on.
Speaker 1: I don't believe him.
Speaker 7: Oh you think the Lemonade was a dramatic production. I mean it could be. I ain't sleeping on it.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that they know that we like to be on our own heads and sort of assume what we think it's about I just I can't fathom.
Speaker 1: I can't fathom a world and win. These are the two most watched people ever, Like, how is he going to find?
Speaker 8: But it doesn't even matter anymore to me if Eliminade is real. It doesn't matter if even if it was a dramatic production, it was worthy.
Speaker 1: Can I ask you something? Has anyone heard?
Speaker 2: Because you know, both Beyonce albums are in everyone's decade in the and you know the first.
Speaker 1: Album, Yeah, I feel like that.
Speaker 2: I feel like the first album probably did more for the business where now more than radio Heads album which they allowed you to determine how much you want to pay for it. You know, the idea of like releasing how she threw it out like that started, So that's more revolutionary.
Speaker 1: He's still that from Prince so.
Speaker 3: Yes prints every successful black Well the black album was supposed to be done that way, Oh damn, like it was it was. It wasn't even supposed to have his name attached to It was supposed to be released as something by somebody.
Speaker 1: Oh damn. I never knew that.
Speaker 2: But have you heard any of those albums without its video counterparts?
Speaker 1: Yes? I've never seen the videos I've never seen the I've only heard, Yeah, I've only consume those records as videos.
Speaker 7: And not in the railer skating like.
Speaker 3: Like blow is the only song that that really kind of resonated with me from just only hearing the songs and not seeing the videos.
Speaker 1: The wrest of them was just kind of say that that all creased me out a little bit.
Speaker 3: I mean it is kind of creepy because yeah, yeah, yeah, but I don't know, mostly it just it just he reminds me of like some kind of ship, you know, you might have roll skated to back.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So John, say, so, who is your person of the decade? Your artist of the decade?
Speaker 7: Damn, we both do that.
Speaker 1: That was well you said you decade.
Speaker 7: Well it was Anderson, And I feel like.
Speaker 3: Defen the decade of the decade because more than yeah, I understand can't come onto my radar until like twenty four in the twenty fourte right.
Speaker 8: But I'm saying, like those people that you named, they're also of the previous decades. So if I was going to say anybody else, it will be Kendrick Lamar, right, But I just knew everybody else was gonna say Kendrick Lamar. So I just went with Anderson because I think he's gonna be timeless. I think he's going to be one of those artists that will last.
Speaker 7: He will last, he.
Speaker 8: Will be a legend in his own right. I hope so, I think so Ahold.
Speaker 6: But also just because you had mentioned, like Kanye, there's a part of it that I wonder, like the music he's put out in the last decade, is that the music that we're really gonna remember now for no.
Speaker 1: No, I hope not. I for his is no. I think you're right. I think you're right. That's what I never remember him now. I think you're right.
Speaker 2: My preference, No, it's you got to separate your preference for what facts are. Like you get mad at me for choosing girls. Isn't saying that I chose girls, But.
Speaker 1: It's like a fact.
Speaker 2: And I feel as though Twisted Dark Fantasy was the Mason Dixon line that separated through the wire soulful sample.
Speaker 3: Kanye Old Kanye from overblown talking out of my ask Kanye all the time, you know.
Speaker 7: And not to do a plug on you.
Speaker 8: But like then, why do songs that shook on Jesus walks like Jesus Walks will.
Speaker 7: Stand the test of time, will it not?
Speaker 1: That was that was that was pre dark twisted Fantasy.
Speaker 6: But that's but that's I feel like that's kind of the question I'm asking is we will define Kanye in a way, what will define him? But also like I think Pablo defines Kanye. Really that's I you know what it's I'm saying, like thirty years from now, Like like when you think about musicians, like you think about somebody like Marvin Gay and it's like, Okay, nobody thinks about the albums of the eighties, Like they just think about like the early sixties. Else what's going on, Like it kind of stops at a certain point, And those were the most successful albums for him. I don't know as far as like numbers sold.
Speaker 2: Where the difference between Marvin and Kanye is is the prevalence of celebrity in society and cocaine and well, I'm pretty sure there was pretty about the same amount of cocaine on both sides.
Speaker 1: That's just my.
Speaker 2: Marvin and whatever pills Kanye City.
Speaker 3: I'm sure Kanye was sniffing because a lot of that ship sounds like like cocaine music, like Dark Fantasy.
Speaker 1: Sounds like a cocaine but anyway, I digress.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's just the level of celebrity that's Like, you know, if Marvin had been as much in the press as Kanye in the eighties, it might have been in the same story, you know, social media.
Speaker 2: Okay, if you're asking, like when you look at a person's uh, what's the word the cannon? Yeah, like we see, like, okay, well we will take Stevie from music on my mind up until maybe hotter than July, like that's our cannon for him or whatever I feel. No, No, I mean Stevie ad jams afterwards. So for me, I would say that Kanye's cannon will probably be from college dropout to Twisted Fantasy. Twisted Fantasy, however, okay, maybe think of Sly Jesus Sly had from a whole new thing to like to too, I mean whole new thing too. There's a ride going on, but then we'll take there's a ride going on, fresh and small talk, and then anything after that is just bullshit. So I think that the train stopped riding for him after Yay the album.
Speaker 3: I think I really think it was after Twist Fantasy, because you.
Speaker 2: Don't think Jesus happened. And I know you like eases, but you don't like it. But it's it's been critically acclaimed and millennials swear by it.
Speaker 1: Do they really swear that?
Speaker 7: Millennials has been an interesting decade with you?
Speaker 1: No like? All right, So has anyone seen or heard of Waves? The movie? Y'all?
Speaker 2: Need sterling Kate Brown, h you must see Waves. It's so it's the previous so under sells it that it's necessary because I feel like that's the movie that, uh, what's the god? I don't I don't want to slander a film, but I feel like Waves is the film that will floor you in the way that queen and.
Speaker 1: Want to floor you.
Speaker 2: You must see Waves, I think I feel like that will be this year's Moonlight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, black indie joint, you must see it, blendy joint. But they use they use I am a God in such a way from me. That's a song on Jesus. Remember you didn't listen to it more than once? You're right, because neither did that.
Speaker 8: After I saw the Kardashians dancing a new Slave, I was done like that.
Speaker 3: That ship just did not beg for more than one listen because it was just so abrasive and and not enjoyable.
Speaker 2: I saw Jesus the way that I saw Old Daddy Bastards Nigga Please album.
Speaker 3: As a question to help someone, or something you listen to and then you enjoy, and then you feel bad for listening to because you realize that the person behind it needs some fucking help, but nobody around them wants to give me any help because they're all getting paid.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, that's exactly right. Yeah, yeah, exactly so. And that's why I say Pablo is really that record.
Speaker 1: Like Jesus, what I will say about Pablo, like what I thought was the true cry for help record.
Speaker 3: What I found what I what I found interesting about Pablo was not the music, was the fact that he was willing to to edit it in real time, like as after it. Like, I thought that was interesting. I thought that was an interesting approach. Like I don't know if it was intentional, but I thought that was definitely an interesting way to approach, you know, releasing an album as something that was you know, once it's out in the market, it's not necessarily finished. You can still keep working on it. I thought that was interesting.
Speaker 1: It was I.
Speaker 8: Can't either Howard University and gonna talk about and we ain't gonna get caught like the rest of them.
Speaker 2: I can't talk about something else to everybody about.
Speaker 1: The one who passed. But let me let me you can't talk about this decade without talking about Conny. He can't. They can't. Like again, it's not about your preferences. This is about what happened. It wouldn't be thorough. I have a theory.
Speaker 2: I have a theory about Yeah that I shared before, which is basically, I think he had a plan to troll list and everything. You know, he put the Instagram out with his hat on I'm gonna do this, I'm gonna do that, and he thought he was gonna be slick with it.
Speaker 1: He didn't.
Speaker 2: He didn't figure in that he was going to get schooled on TMZ Live.
Speaker 1: He definitely.
Speaker 7: A struggled son.
Speaker 1: So yeah, Van, he did for what.
Speaker 7: Because he got into it with the white boy at you.
Speaker 1: Hear about that.
Speaker 2: I don't want to m Z like that, but so yeah, Van school and Kanye like that. Kanye was totally unprepared for this ship. And Kanye also wasn't prepared for Donald Glover to host SNL that Saturday and released This is America on Sunday, which basically just turned all that poopy scoop conversation and just washed it out. And then suddenly this is America became the conversation.
Speaker 1: Of it all sounds the same. To me, it all sounded like poopy scoop it was.
Speaker 8: Remember when we discovered that, like Donald Glover, don't be saying in his music I'm sorry.
Speaker 7: But this was like the decade you discovered I did, I'm sorry, I heard about feelings. Did we not remember this? Like this is America? What the fuck is he saying? It's the video like you remember? And then it was the other.
Speaker 1: Ship on there.
Speaker 7: You really got us, y'all.
Speaker 3: Atlanta is great but childish bullshit.
Speaker 7: I love Kawhi.
Speaker 6: That was my ship.
Speaker 10: Okay, So movies, ladies, Jo, did you see any movies?
Speaker 8: Like, yeah, saw all of them and I just did get Come on, just get out Black Panther.
Speaker 1: I still haven't seen Black Panther yet.
Speaker 3: You have not seen I haven't seen Black Panther yet, but remember it also took me like ten years to see The Wire. So but what movie resonated with?
Speaker 2: You get Black Panthers?
Speaker 7: Get Out, Black Panther brid.
Speaker 2: Okay, I wanted to keep it, keep it short and sustinct, sugar, Steve.
Speaker 7: Im, Sorry, I don't know what that snort.
Speaker 1: That pornhook movie you watched last night? Doesn't that count?
Speaker 7: They do?
Speaker 1: From the whole decade? Wow? I mean, I got a list. I can go while you think about it. Yeah, why don't you keep going?
Speaker 3: So my list the movies I enjoyed from the last ten years include titles like bridesmaid as as like you mentioned, Attack the Block I thought was really good. What was that John Boyega was in it?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, yeah, it was really good. It was a UK film. This is the End I thought was really fucking excellent, A movie that I had forgotten about until it actually came out.
Speaker 1: Boyhood, Yes, yeah.
Speaker 7: The concept. Do you remember that, Steve?
Speaker 5: Yes, I remember that good concept.
Speaker 3: Two movies that somebody I saw on the internet recently said that we're really good but they never really feel the need to watch again Birdman and Whiplash. Really I enjoyed both films, but I really don't feel the need to watch them again. Like I really enjoyed them, Like I thought they were excellent fucking films, but I don't think I'll ever watch either.
Speaker 1: One of them again.
Speaker 7: Michael Keaton was really cool.
Speaker 3: I'm always a big Michael k I'm a big Michael Keaton fan, Like he's still my Batman as far as I'm concerned. Oh Ship, I'm just gonna keep going. John Wick, which one the first one I saw? Haven't seen the count which one was common in he was in the second one. Okay, I've saw the third one. I've only seen the first one. Okay, okay, So john Wick is good. Yeah, john Wick was the first one was weird. I haven't watched the other ones yet, so I really can't, you know, watch whether whether they're eating good or not. Top five I thought was fucking excellent. Chris Rock's movie. Yes, oh yeah, Someone was great. I thought that was good.
Speaker 1: Get Out of Course and uh ex Makina.
Speaker 2: I used to call it sex machine, matter of fact, matter of fact.
Speaker 1: Whenever they were like like four Gas members came on.
Speaker 3: To promote it, we would just do sex machine, sex machine.
Speaker 1: Like an x Markana.
Speaker 7: That's a real title.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's look at it. It's a really good movie. I think it came out like twenty eleven.
Speaker 6: But a lady Robot. Yeah, and guys who want to control a Lady Robot.
Speaker 1: Came out in twenty fourteen. I'm jumping in line. I'm jumping in line.
Speaker 2: I enjoyed, I enjoyed Going Girl. And I will also say that.
Speaker 1: Tyler Perry did a great I like Tyler Perry as an actor. Yeah, you know, I felt that.
Speaker 7: He wasn't great cross with No.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying that as an I want to see more of Tyler Perry being directed by other people, by other people.
Speaker 1: Yes, I hope I don't go to hell for that.
Speaker 2: You know what, For all the talk of the irishman wants, I went, you gotta see at the movie theater, like you owe it to yourself to see the Swan. I see it as a Swan song. So it's almost like putting thriller on your I feel like it's going to be this one. First of all, de Niro don't want to act no more, for he's yeah, he's speaking.
Speaker 1: Like I'm retiring all this stuff. Damn.
Speaker 2: But this is I mean, this is really the last time you're gonna get those mob film right de Niro?
Speaker 1: Right? Right? I got you.
Speaker 2: So I can't even conclude that. So that said, I feel bad. I really liked Wolf of Wall Street.
Speaker 1: Oh it was good. I enjoyed it. Yeah. Yeah. Have you all heard of the Lobster? I saw it, but I don't remember. I saw it when I was on the plane, and I love the Lobster. Colin Farrell, the.
Speaker 8: Three people speaking of porn Hub highlight shout us to you ladies, google it.
Speaker 7: Colin Farrell, that's so two thousand and it doesn't matter.
Speaker 8: Stop it, don't you still don't do that anyway?
Speaker 1: You know what?
Speaker 2: You know what really shocked the ship out of me that I had to see it twice.
Speaker 1: That's Good Time. I don't know, I don't all right, So Good.
Speaker 2: Time is a film that start okay, uh.
Speaker 6: Jonah Hill's movie, No, no, no, all right.
Speaker 2: Jonah Hill was supposed to do the follow up that Adam Sandler is it now?
Speaker 1: Good Time is with Robert Pattinson.
Speaker 6: Oh right, yes, right.
Speaker 1: So they're they're Roberts.
Speaker 2: Their their style of filmmaking is so fucking awesome that literally I did not know I was watching Robert Pattinson the same way that you know. I'm certain that people will probably shocked if Adam Sandler gets uh Best Actor talk for this new film that he's in about thee Yeah, playing the villain.
Speaker 6: A suburban villain.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh wait, shout out, shout out wait as a comedian.
Speaker 1: How did you feel about on.
Speaker 6: His stand up special?
Speaker 1: Yes, you're indifferent to it?
Speaker 9: What?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Like it was?
Speaker 1: I felt like it was him acting like Adam Sandler. Yeah like it.
Speaker 6: It felt like a kind of like some of the greatest hits type of a thing. It didn't you know what, I don't know. It didn't.
Speaker 1: I like.
Speaker 2: I missed the Adam Sandler train of the beginning, like the early nineties stuff.
Speaker 1: We were living in Europe and then so they're all gonna laugh at you every day, all that stuff. I knew none of that stuff.
Speaker 2: I knew sweatshirt shirt, Yeah, I knew that, but I didn't know anything. And the only Adam Sander I like was this serious stuff like spanglish and punched.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, uh you got the fifty first dates yet Brennan.
Speaker 2: Well, Brennan hit me up and says, I guarantee you're gonna watch this ten times. And I was like, I'm not even Adam Sanling, Frank, get the fuck out of here. So I went to sleep and then like woke up at four in the morning, like, let me see what he's talking about, and actually watched it. I I was floored at how brilliant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was surprised too, so brilliant. It's so brilliant. Yo. Seriously, like you said, I actually found myself. You know, my eyes were tearing up by the end. I was tearing up. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's funny and it's sad also, and I'd be remiss if I didn't mention OJ's Made in America documentary.
Speaker 6: Aman, director of OJ Made in America.
Speaker 1: That's thirty, Yes, thirty.
Speaker 2: And also I loved Inside Out from Pixar, which I recommend, yes as yeah, as as a guy in that world now, yo, I highly recommend Inside.
Speaker 1: Yes. It is.
Speaker 5: There's so many shows and movies, all right, there is, think about it.
Speaker 1: There is. We haven't even talked about music yet.
Speaker 7: We did we did, We did, we did, we did?
Speaker 6: We did?
Speaker 2: So any last words before we sign off, just get it off all your chest anything that you want to.
Speaker 7: No, man, I just want you to rock with us in the What was.
Speaker 2: Your humble break of of this decade? No, what was your tragedy of this decade? What was the most tragic thing of this decade?
Speaker 1: Wrote down quickly.
Speaker 8: Because wrapping up because my grandma died, so that was really sad.
Speaker 7: Whatever.
Speaker 8: Also say, the death of black unarmed black man to police violence.
Speaker 1: That was pretty get That didn't make my list. Now what's your humble break?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 8: In the last ten years of bitch dried out and stand up and then she actually was a talent booker for you know, your executive produced by Quest eleven to Trotter.
Speaker 7: So that was pretty cool. That's my humble bred cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right? You still sticking in comedy?
Speaker 7: Just be funny?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Man, you gotta fail myself every time I go on stage, got it, you.
Speaker 2: Gotta you gotta you gotta feel it to heal it. You gotta fail some more. Take it from a comedian, not mesh thinking, but the one that's that's where to get.
Speaker 1: Out of here right now?
Speaker 6: What why I was promised three hours?
Speaker 1: Why? What was you even?
Speaker 6: Once we wrap it up, I'm sticking around, Okay, me and James, we're gonna order a pizza.
Speaker 1: All right. What was your tragedy of a decade?
Speaker 6: Well, I never even got to do a movie.
Speaker 1: Oh what's your movie? Run it back?
Speaker 6: Let's go to chapter seventeen of this episode. The movie I was gonna say, in keeping with what defined this decade, and I'm not saying this as a movie that I think was like a great movie for the decade. It's just what defines a decade. It was Suicide Squad. And the reason I say that is because I feel like in another twenty to thirty years, I feel like we will look at this decade and what it did for superhero movies in a way that we look at how like Westerns had like their heyday and eventually the Westerns bubble kind of like burst.
Speaker 1: And then we all look at them like not another fucking Western.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And I feel like Suicide Squad was that movie where we kind of gleamed the cube on superhero movies and it was like and not just that we did that, but it now shifted to like, Okay, now let's focus on villains, right, and now we have the jokervies like Joker, which is, you know, gonna be.
Speaker 7: The really smart so.
Speaker 6: You do not like villains, well, I just feel like it's a weird thing. Like Joker to me just feels like porn for in cells, and it feels like these like it feels like there's a part of this that it's like these movies are just like for all the kind of for all yeah, for all those disaffected bros. Like this is all just like the things that they jerk off to before they go and be shitty in the world. And so that's so I so I kind of see all of these and it feels like, oh, Suicide Squad was like, okay, yeah, we can make a superhero movie about anything, and then it kind of went this way of like, Okay, yeah, now let's make Joker.
Speaker 1: Why not? Sure?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think old Girls probably gonna get a movie too, Joker's.
Speaker 6: Girl Harley Quinn. I think they're making a movie, yeah, or no, they already. Yeah, I think they've already. Actually there's posters out for it. But yeah, like in theory, these are the monster of these comic books, like they're murderers, and it's like, but let's hear let's hear them out like that is it is very much the Trump's like there's good people on both sides.
Speaker 3: I mean, we we have, you know, the entire horror genre which is basically built off of villains.
Speaker 7: Sure, yeah, but we don't love them though. Like suicide. Squat was like, oh it is another side.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well maybe we just need to Maybe we just need to, you know, take a good look at you know, the way.
Speaker 2: We're our thought process and how we're looking at these things.
Speaker 7: Why you ask him everything?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Hey, hey, did you watch movie Steve?
Speaker 5: Now I'm gonna go to tragedies for one hundred Yeah, the school shootings, the mass shootings is the tragedies. Uh, the biggest tragedy for me this decade, this year and all that why we didn't.
Speaker 7: Really get yours? Sorry because you did the movie.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I did the movie thing. I don't really have a humble brag.
Speaker 5: Yeah, sorry, that's really really really humble not to have one at all.
Speaker 6: That's true. So I guess that's my humble brag.
Speaker 1: Cam.
Speaker 7: Yeah, go ahead, I mean give us your humble brags.
Speaker 1: Is he capable?
Speaker 2: I will say that my tragedy was no doubt, I consider Prince Stein more fucked up than Trump being president?
Speaker 1: Really? Wow, I actually think I think, I think.
Speaker 2: I think Trump being president was probably more important than Obama being president. Why because we needed to. I feel like with Obama being president, well, it was just a thing of we just swept under the We just swept ship under the rug like she was on the doors.
Speaker 1: We swept under the rug before.
Speaker 2: Now with Trump, it's it's almost undeniable image.
Speaker 3: What you can deny anything if you if you try hard enough. No, I'm it's diamond and silk.
Speaker 1: Nice one, nice one, nice one.
Speaker 6: Listen, diamonds.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I you know, I just think that was hella tragic. Humble brag is. Hopefully we'll still be here next week.
Speaker 1: I hope we got a good show line up.
Speaker 7: That's why.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you don't have you don't have me the replacement. That's the secret that nobody knew.
Speaker 8: Everybody everybody can agree that you've been on our list since the show started.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Sure, it's just that a Miryor texts me two hours and is like, no, listen, listen.
Speaker 1: Calm and dropped out.
Speaker 6: You've got to you've got facial hair too, show up.
Speaker 2: Why look, we will properly have you the show so we can analyze your life.
Speaker 7: Where are you from?
Speaker 1: Because it's gonna.
Speaker 6: Be I mean, that's it's a mystery. Now now you've got a there's incentive.
Speaker 1: All right, So what are we what do we hope for in this next album. Yo, no more drinking. Why are you pointing me? I wasn't really, you're the boss.
Speaker 7: Some people do hope.
Speaker 1: For well, for me, my hope for the future more money, more money, more money, more money, and more money, Steve Man, that's a tough question.
Speaker 6: Wyatt, Steve, and I finally buy that boat speedboat.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 8: In the words of my brother Fante, I would love to just be able to be in my own orbit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you're definitely in some other fucking orbit right now.
Speaker 7: I'm in a lot of people's orbits, a lot of things orbits.
Speaker 1: There. You have it, Ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 2: The last two hours and thirty five minutes is pretty much out of the decades.
Speaker 3: But it's not even gonna be two hours and thirtyive minutescause there's a whole bunch of that shit that's gotta get cut out.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 8: Well, you didn't answer what you look forward to in the next decade, dude.
Speaker 1: This is the happiest I ever been in my fucking life.
Speaker 7: That's so exciting, you guys.
Speaker 1: No, that's not even about that.
Speaker 2: I'm just dating the most incredible woman ever and we're going to change the world.
Speaker 1: God damn it.
Speaker 7: Goddamn right, he's smoking weed too.
Speaker 1: And door mushrooms. I will say that. Uh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been fun and I hope you guys have a great new year, great new decade in twenty twenty. And as we all face our fifties.
Speaker 7: Who are you talking to? I don't know what.
Speaker 1: Was just just me and Steve are in this boat. Yeah, I have just entered my forties. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Will there be a number of five on the left digit of both of your ages at all in this upcoming decade.
Speaker 1: At the very end whatever.
Speaker 6: At the very end, oh, at the end of the decade.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, see twenty twenty nine.
Speaker 6: Yeah, everybody's gonna have a five at some point in a ten year span.
Speaker 1: Okay. Yeah, so I'm the only one facing fifty in the next year. Okay, y'all got that though, y'all got that.
Speaker 7: Sorry, you also faced a fifty billion dope.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right there, you go. All right, we be having Miss and Sugar, Steve and Boss Bill and I'm the.
Speaker 7: One Bill he's working. You got like two plays and same street son, damn.
Speaker 2: And maybe Fante will come back from cigarettes one of these days.
Speaker 1: No, he's not coming back. He's never coming back? Is he all right?
Speaker 2: Well, whyt we thank you very much for filling in for some lines and for now Rogers and Fante Yeah.
Speaker 1: And Little Brother album. That was a great thing to happen.
Speaker 7: Thank you. Thank you, quest Love for making that happens. Losing a teammate, thank you, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, care about what you asked?
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah yeah, we will see you on the next go round.
Speaker 1: And west Love Supreme. This is quest of Happy New Year.
Speaker 2: For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.