Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. Hello Marrin Dogs Money listeners, it is that time of year. The Edinburgh Festival Fringe is almost here and I will once again be recording podcast episodes in front of a live audience from Panmea House, the final home of Adam Smith. This year's shows will take place on August twenty seventh, twenty eighth, and twenty ninth at two pm. Get your tickets before it sells out. The link is in the show notes. Welcome to Maren Doggs Money, the podcasting with people who know the markets Explain the markets. I'm Maren's sumset Web. This week I'm speaking with pull at the prize winning author Leo kat Aarbad about his new book eighteen seventy three, The First Great Depression and the Making of the Modern World. It's a great read. You can take it to the beach. I promise you you'll like it just as much as all the romances as you were planning to read there. It covers the eighteen seventy three crash, which is particularly interesting because it was the first global crash across bond markets and stock markets. It also had extraordinary amount of fallout some of which you could argue is still with us today. In our conversation, we reflect on the parallels between then and now and the lessons that we can take from those early crashes. I loved this book, do you know? I love this book basically property porn, right.
Speaker 2: You know. I did an event in Newport, Rhode Island, and they wanted to compare the Vanderbilt mansions with Rothschild's mansions, and basically the Rothschild's mansions beat them.
Speaker 1: You know, I mean, this is this is the best bit about it. You know, I start off when I'm looking at no money supply and gold droughts and market crashes, evaluations, railways, capas, comparing Cavic summers. But actually I'm frantically turning the pages so I can find out about the next guy's great house. You know what happens. You know, Jim Fiskin and Jay Gold they put an opera house. What was their actual house like? So that's that's really what I enjoyed most about the But I know that's not the point.
Speaker 2: So why don't we Why don't we know? It is hardly the point, because I think livens.
Speaker 1: It up absolutely A lot of it reads like like fiction, you know, reads like it reads like a great novel in it and gallops along as you move from from grand party to grand party to grand party. And also I tell you what it's missing. Tell you what it's missing, like more pictures. I want to see the dresses at the exhibition with all the mudge, and I want to see what everyone's wearing when three thousand people go to the ball for the opening of the Swiss Canal, and what the Emperor's daughter is wearing when she gets married in Vienna's the stock market crashes.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, that's actually great advice. I will push that.
Speaker 1: All right, brilliant, Thanks you. So that's all to look forward to. So most of you should immediately go out and buy the hard the hard copy of this a wonderful book, and the clue of what it's about is in the title eighteen seventy three. But if you want pictures of people in ball gowns, wave for the paperback. Is that the Yeah, that's brilliant, got promise. So let's talk about what this is actually about. Eighteen seventy three. It's called eighteen seventy three the First Great Depression and the making of the modern world. I mean, it is fascinating because you make the case in the book that pretty much everything that happened in the following one hundred years came from this one crash, the first global crash. So what I would like to do, if you don't mind, is to start with a run up to how we got to eighteen seventy three the great In fact, not as far as eighteen seventy three. It's kind of up to eighteen seventy before it turns into a speculator boom, isn't it up until there? And it's really really strong economic growth, globalization, lots of really fantastic things happening, amazing revolutions in transportation, in communication, it's the railway booms. So many exciting things happened. And of course back to how amazingly you write and you bring out all these wonderful little things. We're talking about the railways, we're talking about the series canal, and then you remind us that this is where Jewels wen't got the idea for around the world in eighty days, right, Exactly where do we get to the point where we were having, you know, eighty ten percent GDP growth across across the world.
Speaker 2: What started it was the gold rush, because Europe, which was the center of the world, went through a terrible depression in the eighteen forties, fueled by bad harvests and by revolution, I mean they actually thought every government in Europe was going to fall and you know, we'd have the equivalent of the Russian Revolution across Europe. And that didn't happen. But at the same time, they discovered gold in the United States and that provided the fuel to get the global economy going. And you had bankers like the Rothschild who had made a ton of money in the early part of the nineteenth century lending to governments who jumped on the bandwagon and started lending for infrastructure and particularly the railroads, to the private sector, and you got a massive boom in lending. And it was a boom based on the bond market. Now everyone thinks the bond market is a sleepy place where who don't want to take risk put their money, but it was essentially that which provided the impetus to the growth. So the bond market grew by five times in the two decades from eighteen fifty to eighteen seventy, and all of it went into big projects like the railroads, like the Sewers Canal, like the trans across India rail link, which set the scene for that wonderful article which a French newspaper wrote in eighteen seventy saying now you can go across the world in eighty days. And Jules Verne, who was a young adventure novelist based in France, stumbled across this article because the article even gave an itinery for what a journey like this would look like, so.
Speaker 1: He didn't even think of any of this himself. Nick did all over the newspaper articles.
Speaker 2: He probably didn't realize it would make a great movie as well, and.
Speaker 1: That we'd still be having, you know, television shows based on today. Fascinating, right, And one of the interesting things about this great bond boom was that a lot of this was retail money. So this is one of the first times we suddenly were gathering the savings of ordinary people across the world and shoveling it through middleman vehicles into huge infrastructure projects. I mean, that's a huge chance. And of course the basis of the investment trust industry in the UK, which we come back to another time.
Speaker 2: But fascinating, Yeah, not so much ordinary people, but upper middle class people sort of. We were people high network individuals. The average man in the street wasn't buying bonds, which actually would prove to be part of the savior when the whole thing went went south, because the people who lost money could actually afford to lose money. But yes, you're right, I mean it was retail. It was not institutional, and the institutional came later as you as you mentioned with investment trusts.
Speaker 1: I mean, it wasn't seen this all the way through the early part of the nineteenth century. Of course, there were two other crashes, one in the thirties one in the fifties, right, but they were quickly dealt with, or not really dealt with. They fixed themselves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they were to some degree more localized and they were less global. I mean, in the eighteen thirties, the Canal boom ended in the US and that caused a whole lot of repercussions in the UK. Most of Europe wasn't involved, so it was primarily an Anglo Saxon thing. There were many crashes during the eighteen sixties. The first was when Jay Gould tried to corner the gold supply of the United States.
Speaker 1: I enjoyed that very much. Indeed, this is just after we bought the opera house right.
Speaker 2: Right, and bribe the president's brother in law, So.
Speaker 1: Which is when it will go crashing down? That was his mistake, overreach, right.
Speaker 2: And there was another crash in Britain when a discount house, the first one of the big discount houses, went under. But they were all localized and there were even wars. There was Civil War in the United States, there was the Crimean War, there was Prussia versus Austria. The economy was surprisingly resilient despite these little hiccups.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's interesting. We will come on to that about whether economies are incredibly resilient and maybe the best things you do is just leave them alone, because when we get to eighteen seventy three, of course, we find out that everyone decided to just not leave it alone. They succumbed, didn't they to what we call something must be done ism, and that's when things started to get nasty. But the pivotal bit is there war between Prussia and France that starts nineteen seventy right, I don't know, it's a short war. Yeah, sorry, eighteen seventy it's a short war, but it has enormous repercussions because France is obliged to pay enormous reparations to Germany, to the tune of how much around billion dollars.
Speaker 2: Billion dollars, which would be equivalent to one point two to one point three trillion dollars today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so pressure thought that this is fine, because that's so much money is going to take France like forever to pay that officer. This is going to keep them down, down, down, out of our way. We've dealt with his enemy indefinitely. Instead of which, they now managed to go out and get the bond markets to give them a billion bugs over two years.
Speaker 2: And it was the Rothschilds who were the centerpiece of that because they had an incredible reach. They raised two bond issues which raised a billion dollars. But the most important thing was they were in one case three times oversubscribed and the other case twelve times over subscribe.
Speaker 1: And where was that money coming from?
Speaker 2: Well that was the astounding thing. People suddenly realized that there's all this money that's been in the woodwork and is just looking for if you can only provide it with a return, will come out of the woodwork, because until then government bond deals had gone down to three percent in the UK, four percent in France. The sort of revelation that you could raise twelve billion dollars from the bondsuit, Yeah, just got everyone so excited. The London Stock Exchange went crazy.
Speaker 1: And well because everyone who didn't get into this bond issue, the money is still out.
Speaker 2: There, exactly. And also in the US railroads were it was a perfectly rational boom until then, and then suddenly railroad bond asstudents doubled, so we suddenly went up to five hundred million dollars a year in an economy that's roughly five percent of their GDP, which you know today would be one point five trillion dollars in the US. So at one point five trillion dollars that went into SpaceX is what went into the railroads.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fascinating. And then of course that billion dollars went to Germany in a two year period. Yes, and they then had twenty five percent of GDP to play within cash.
Speaker 2: Right, and that was totally mismanaged. They could have feded into the economy at a slower pace, but injecting twenty five percent of GDP in liquid cash into an economy that was relatively unsophisticated, where everyone who owned government bonds found their government bonds paid off, paid off, meaning redeemed suddenly looked around and said what do I do with this money? And was looking around for opportunities and learned behold, a whole lot of Charlatan's appeared on the seat to try to liberate them with their money. It was not only a snock market boom, but it was a giant ipo boom, and the stock market, which had maybe thirty or forty companies listed, suddenly ballooned to five hundred, six hundred companies. And these companies, a lot of them were banks, a lot of them were real estate, a lot of them were railroad companies. But they were also all sorts of things, you know, setting up companies to explore the northern regions of Europe, companies to you know, I don't know, bill of look for banana plantations in West Africa. So it was a crazy time.
Speaker 1: And a lot of fraud in this around the same time might be getting my timing room, but around the same time as the diving bell bubble in the UK. But there were loads of small companies were set up to invest in diving bell technology to go and explore for shipwrecks. Oh, okay, in course the same thing, lots of points of shells and endless fraud. So in these last years eighteen seventy two seventy three were moving into broths called the bezel bit. When there's lots of fraud and the fraudsters are riding high and the investors haven't yet yet realized that it's a fraud, so it's a great time. It's a wonderful time.
Speaker 2: Everyone's happy, they're richer. Everyone thinks they're richer, both the fraudsters and the people who've had their money in bezzeled. So yes, it is a great time. And then well, and then, like all great times, it comes to an end. The first sign is in Vienna, which was an ancillary of the German stock market, and that had gone up three hundred percent, and suddenly in the beginning of eighteen seventy three, investors began to question whether all these new companies had a business plan. And for a while the markets stayed up at the highs and didn't realize a little bit like these road runner cartoons that didn't realize the floor had been taken away from it. And then in May of eighteen seventy three crashes and bank stocks fell by forty five percent in one day. And you had this serial scene where the emperor's daughter was getting married, and every major royal family from Europe had collected in Vienna, so the Prince of Wales and all of the major princes, the crown Prince of and they were all having these magnificent balls and dancing to the music of Johann Strauss.
Speaker 1: Is what we need pictures of.
Speaker 2: Well. But meanwhile, just down the road, because the stock market was next to the palace, the stock market was crashing. You got the first wave of people committing suicide because they'd lost money, although even those suicides were frauds because people had bought equities on margin and realized that the way to escape their creditors was to go to the canal, pile their clothes at the side of the canal, jump into the canal, swim to the other side, and disappear.
Speaker 1: That really is a fitting end to the buzzer, isn't it. Yeah, And this was the same time it did I read in the right order the Enner exhibition was at the same time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the exhibition was going on, and that prove to be a total failure. So they'd expected nineteen million people to turn up.
Speaker 1: Nineteen million.
Speaker 2: Oh, these great exhibitions were giant affairs. I mean they started you know, it started out with the UK in the eighteen fifties, but there had been one in Paris and then another one in the UK. And this was Vienna's attempt to say we're a sirous country and we're a serrous city. They'd expected nineteen million. They'd torn down off the palace gardens and established pavilions, and only seven million people turned up. So it was not a people. It was a series of little minor disasters, a cholera outbreak and the cab drivers of Vienna decided to go out on strike.
Speaker 1: Of course, they did standard stuff. Nothing ever changes, does it. One of the little tipbits in this bit that I really enjoyed was a little bit you wrote about Col Marx in the Crash and how he was actually the kind of person who predicts crushes all the time, and he'd been at it for ages and was finally right, and he'd just become famous because he'd finally got some traction with dust capital because first edition pretty much no one read it, and let him manage to get it printed in Russia and it can squeezed through the Tzarist sensors because they figured it was so long, so boring, and so complicated, no one ever read it. But they did, and suddenly he's quite famous predicts the crash, and now he's more famous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And as you said, throughout the eighteen fifties and sixties he had been saying, oh, this is it, and I mean it got to a stage where even his friends started pulling his leg, which he didn't react well to.
Speaker 1: Better. This is it. Possibly the only area in which Marx's and I have something in common.
Speaker 2: That you're always predicting crash, instantly.
Speaker 1: Predicting crashes at the wrong time. Okay, so a crash in Vienna, but then because it has been a global boom and it has been a global bubble, it spreads there is contagion across the world.
Speaker 2: Right, yes, it Actually you get this sort of false period of car So it crashes in Vienna and everyone says there's going to be a global disaster, and then suddenly nothing happened, and you get a period of three four months where nothing happens. So they said, okay, maybe Vienna was just overpriced, and it was a you know, it was a local incident.
Speaker 1: And everywhere else the earnings will rise to match the price. It'll be fine.
Speaker 2: But meanwhile, Jay Cook, who is the premier investment banker, had raised two billion dollars for the Union government during the Civil War, suddenly finds that because of the disruptions in Europe, he is not able to raise capital, and he runs out of capital in the middle of constructing the second transcont railroad. And it was a little bit like the Lehman brother's story. He started injecting his own bank's money into the project, he's not able to complete it, and when he announces that I cannot raise the capital, there is total panic, the sort of psychological panic that happened after Lehman. People said, look, if Jake Cook, who's a friend of the president, is the most well connected banker in the United States, can't raise one hundred million dollars, then what hope do we have? And every railroad stops construction. So there were five hundred railroad companies in the United States by the end of the year. A third of them had stopped paying dividends. By the end of five years, half of them had defaulted.
Speaker 1: Everything comes crashing.
Speaker 2: Down, everything comes crashing down, and.
Speaker 1: At the same time everything's still going horribly in Europe seventy percent of the banks in Vienna, of Gombast, et cetera. It's global connage.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, So.
Speaker 1: Then we get to the bit where things start to go wrong in a monetary sense. And one of the things that I think you you when you look at all the books you write, alled it. This is just like a book, I know. But is was there a big mistake? Was there a big mistake? Was there a pivotal point when everybody does something completely wrong? And this is the bit of that story.
Speaker 2: Yes. So in a crisis, everyone scrambles for a safe asset, and in those days the two safe assets were gold and silver. But in eighteen seventy three, Bismarck, having defeated France on the battlefield, decides to double down and try to destroy France financially. And he takes the billion dollars that he received from France and you uses it to convert all his silver, all the silver that he had in the central bank into gold. So silver prices plunge. That causes every bank in Europe to panic and dump their silver, which causes silver prices to go down even further. One of the two safe assets that everyone had relied on, which was silver, suddenly is plunging in price, so they all scrambled into gold. Now, if everyone in the world is scrambling into gold, what does it cause. It causes a giant shortage of liquidity. So the world might have been able to cope with a shift from a system based on both silver and gold into gold under normal circumstances, but trying to do it in the middle of a financial crisis just didn't work. So as a consequence, you got this tightening of credit prices. Wholesale prices in eighteen seventy three, over the following year declined by thirty percent. The worst thing was they kept going because there was a shortage of gold and no one wanted to Everyone wanted to get out of silver, and you got a twenty year period where prices declined relentlessly for twenty years, ending up forty to fifty percent below where they started.
Speaker 1: So long term deflation until there were more goldfinds, and suddenly they're right, highest love gold exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, central banks didn't really have discretion at the time, so the you know, the thing that determined what central banks could do was the amount of gold they could find. Ironically, when everyone moved to gold, there was a gold drought and there there have very few discoveries of gold from eighteen seventy until eighteen ninety. And the problem with deflation to a generation used to rising prices, it sounds pretty good if we could get calling prices, but it causes terrible problems for people who borrowed money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you owe money, you're in trouble.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you have a mortgage, you suddenly discover that your house is worth less, but your mortgage just continues to weigh on you. And there's nothing that damages confidence more than having this overhang of debts that keeps on rising.
Speaker 1: And absolutely horrible for farmers and landowners, right because that hasn't effect on the price of land, and most farmers will have debt of some kind. So land press is all a lot we have a lot of trouble with in that area. And then of course back to property porn, then it leads directly into the trend in the UGA for I knew you were Spratish landowners to marry rich American heiresses, which of course us all the way up to Winston.
Speaker 2: Churchile, Yeah, and downtown Abbey exactly.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of things I could pick up on here, and a lot of things I'd like to talk about. And I do think that this deflationary impulse and the way that affects society is fascinating. But I think that what I'd like to do, and if I don't want to bring it back to where we are now, because there's so much that you talk about in the book that resonates with where we are now. We talk about, for example, the equivalent of five hundred billion dollars in CAPEX going into railways. We've surpassed that now with the kape Center, data centers and AI, etc. But nonetheless it's a similar dynamic. And certainly in stock markets in those early days before the speculative froth really kicked in seventy two seventy three, there was a perfectly reasonable justification for markets going up fifty percent, forty percent there, thirty percent a year because everything's going so well and the earnings will rise and you can pay for your growth in advance and you'll get it later. And this all makes perfect sense, which of course resonates very well with where we are in markets today.
Speaker 2: Great, and I think that's what everyone has latched onto. I mean they've latched onto the boom portion rather than what comes when the boom ends. Now, what caused the boom to end? I think two things. One is that everyone trying to build railroads at the same time. Just they started competing against each other and the profitability of the railroad started declining. So the equip today, if you know, all of the hyper scalers start trying to build AI infrastructure and the price of tokens starts collapsing, which by the way, is already started.
Speaker 1: Is already happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it changes sort of the economics of their investment. So that started happening at the same time because of the disruptions in Europe, because of the war, the price of a capital starts rising, and there's some signs that that's happening now. Until recently, we reassured ourselves that we could finance this boom from the profits of the giant technology companies, but that has even proved to be inadequate and they're now going out and borrowing. So the combination of declining profitability and rising cost of capital at some point causes a crunch. In the US case, when Jay Cook announced that he couldn't complete his railroad, that would be the equivalent of let's say Open AI declaring actually, I think we've miscalculated and we are not going to be able to complete our whole model, and we're going to have to sell to Microsoft. Can you imagine the panic that will occur in the market for AI infrastructure.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes it can. So it would all be fascinating. Everyone having to sell their houses and that kind of thing. We get to look at everyone else's houses and the brooches would be great, the silver lining anyway.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, So that's the relevance I think for to day.
Speaker 1: As this all came to an end the eighteen seventy three crash and the consequences in the late seventies, you talk about literally everyone setting up a committee, because you know, even in the eighteen hundreds, people were super keen on committees and working groups, et cetera. Everyone set up a committee to look at it and try and find the cause of what had happened, and the US committee came up with one hundred and eighty different reasons, which I enjoyed a lot, one of which was people drinking too much. That was mainly that it came from the temperance movement. But the main cause was too much money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the cause of.
Speaker 1: The boom was too much money, and the cause of the crash was not enough money because of the depression afterwards, was not enough money.
Speaker 2: It is that simple, Yes, it is. But unfortunately these booms and bus cycles are not simply driven by sort of getting the dials right in the s Central Bank. They are driven by human psychology and that in the boom you have too much money. But it's driven by over optimism, which then causes bankers to lend too much, which then provides the fuel for a boom, and in a bust it's not enough money as people suddenly hunkered down start boarding, bankers cut their lending, and you get the whole thing going into reverse. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The one thing we haven't talked about, and I would love to very briefly is the way that this change things politically in that you get, as a direct result of all of this, this sense of injustice, this sense of people being done by and that led to a shift in politics in the US. The Democrats back on top, quite on top, but you know, better than they had been previously. So it's a return to the kind of ideals of socialism and also the rise of antisemitism.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, look, when you have a financial cataclysm, people look around for someone to blame. Think back upon two thousand and eight. The Obama administration probably did the right thing in trying to save the financial system, but they didn't bail out homeowners homeowners. You got a wave of defaults on mortgages, and homeowners looked around and said, this system does not work. That if you're an insider and you're a banker, you get bailed out. If you're just an average person, you don't, And you get a wave of populism and a sense of the injustice of the system. And that's what you had in the eighteen seventies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in some ways, you know, there was a catastrophic mistake after eighteen seventy three with going to Golden leaving someone behind the end of bimetallism, and that caused us the horrible depression, which again had winners and losers. So maybe we could look at it, and we could say, well, the q period globally was in some ways a catastrophic mistake in the same way, perhaps in its length and duration and wealth redistribution impact, and that gave us this sense of injustice and on fairness that people still have to day.
Speaker 2: I think there's some truth to that that the Q TO period led to rising acid prices. So if you were wealthy and you owned something, you did very well, and if you didn't own something, you felt aggrieved. So how this comes to an end? I have in the clue what does central bankers do We now got a period where you've got rising inflation. Do they tighten if that causes a disruption in the equity market? Does that spook them? There are all sorts of questions you could you know, you can raise. I think the one thing that makes the current period really scary is the size of the equity market relative to the rest of the economy. The US equity market, if you take public and private equities, you're talking about something that is three of GDP. Yeah, so you know GDP is thirty trillion in the US public and private equities are ninety trillion. A minus stumble in the equity market could cause massive disruptions in spending, very very dangerous.
Speaker 1: So given that that risk is out there and the risk we've talked about in AI, should we just just do what they did back then and just go boored gold.
Speaker 2: Or maybe silver?
Speaker 1: Who?
Speaker 2: Silver?
Speaker 1: You think? What are you hoarding?
Speaker 2: Fixed income? Oh? You yeah, bonds are due for their turn.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm hong the stick with hoarding gold, I think Okay, bitcoin, would you hoard bitcoin?
Speaker 2: No? We've had a rolling sequence of speculative bubbles. You know. We had n f T s or whatever they were called, the meme coins, then meme starks. Then we had crypto, which has come crashing down. So you get this rolling effect of one speculative asset after another. So I think equities, it's the turn of equities too to have their com have.
Speaker 1: They come up and end? In that environment we're worrying about inflation, will all be fleeing to fixed income?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Okay, brilliant, Thank you so much. Can I ask you one final question? One final question. We are a great writer, As I said, I loved this book in so many ways. But what are you reading? What are you going to take the beach with you?
Speaker 2: I just finished. Whistler by Anne Patchett.
Speaker 1: Whistler by Anne Patchett okay, crime novel.
Speaker 2: It's a family saga of a woman meeting her stepfather accidentally from her stepfather from thirty forty years ago and the blossoming of a friendship between her ex stepfather and her and it's very touching.
Speaker 1: Is there a nice house?
Speaker 2: Not really, it's apartments in New York City. No.
Speaker 1: I like this too. Thank you so much for joining us today. This was great fun.
Speaker 2: Okay, thanks.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to this week's Marrin Dorgs Money. If you like our show, rate review and subscribe wherever you listen to your podcast and keep sending your questions or comments to Marrin Money at Bloomberg dot net. You can also follow me and John on Twitter or x. I'm at marinas w and John is John Underscore step Back. This episode was hosted by Me Marren summerset Web. It's produced by Samasadi and Moses and Special Things of course delaveaut Ahmed