Speaker 1: Welcome to Inside Active, a podcast about active managers that goes beyond sound bites and headlines and looks deeper into their processes, challenges and philosophies and security selection. I'm David Cohne, I lead mutual fund and Active Research at Bloomberg Intelligence. Over the past decade, passive investing has become the default approach across much of the investment world. Button fixed income, the conversation is a bit more nuanced. Bond markets are structured differently, behave differently, and present a very different set of challenges for investors trying to balance risk, return, liquidity and diversification, especially in today's environment of higher rates and greater macro uncertainty. So today I wanted to explore the broader debate around active versus passive investing in bonds, how bond markets actually function beneath the surface, and what investors may be overlooking when they think about fixed income allocations. Joining me to discuss that is Noah Why, Senior portfolio manager and head of Global macro Strategy for the plus fixed Income team at all Spring Global Investments.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: I thank you for joining me.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me, David.
Speaker 1: So you've previously written about the benefits of active management in bonds and argue that bonds are fundamentally different from equities when it comes to indexing. What do you think most investors misunderstand about passive bond investing.
Speaker 2: I think the biggest thing comes down to benchmark construction. I think people inherently think about the equity world when they think about in investing, and so a lot of times they apply that framework to the fixed income universe as well, but it is it is a lot different.
Speaker 1: So if you had to make the simplest possible case for why active management matters more in bonds than in stocks, what would your elevator pitch be.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it really comes down to cost benefit. The equity world, as we know, active has been gaining share for many, many years, and and there's reasons for that. The benchmarks are very difficult to beat. You think about equity, benchmark construction is driven by the market cap of the underlying securities in that benchmark, and so the more successful companies and certainly the meg seven obviously getting you know, a lot of attention today. Higher sales growth, better margins, get better multiples, and they become bigger parts of the benchmark. That makes those benchmarks more challenging to beat because the better companies get to be bigger. In the fixed income world, it's entirely different. Bonds are generally speaking issued at par and they mature at par. So how do benchmarks get constructed in the fixed income universe. It is ultimately based on the total amount of debt that gets issued, and so within the fixed income world, you have a challenge where investors aren't always exposed to the best opportunities. Instead, it's oftentimes the worst companies or the countries that need to borrow the most that are running the biggest deficits, the companies that need to borrow because maybe they're not generating as much cash flow as they need to run their operations. So that's really the first part is that you are, as a fixed income investor oftentimes exposed to less attractive investment opportunities. But it's not just that benefit piece, it is the cost piece as well. The cost of active management and fixed income is just very, very low, So we'd argue there's a bigger benefit to active management, there's also a lower cost to be able to get that benefit.
Speaker 1: So I want to go back to your first point you're saying that bond indexes reward the biggest barrows, not necessarily the best opportunities. Why do you think that hasn't gotten more attention by investors.
Speaker 2: I think it comes back to, you know, investors really focusing on really where is the risk, where is the volatility? What ultimately oftentimes drives you know, the outcomes in the long run, And the reality is that the equity markets generate over the very long run, you know, much higher returns and a lot more volatility. So I think it really takes the lion's share of the focus and attention from investors, uh, you know, to to the point that you know, I think that they apply their lessons and what they've learned in the equity side of markets, and they apply it to the fixed income side without thinking about where are their differences and why why do those matter? Okay?
Speaker 1: And you know, in your research you've described kind of a fundament mismatch between borrows and lenders. How does that conflict create opportunities for active managers?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you kind of think about, right, what is it that borrowers are looking for? Borrowers are looking to be able to lock in their financing for as long as possible at the lowest interest cost possible. Right, what do investors want? Right? What do lenders in this market want? They want more optionality. They don't want to lock in for thirty years or fifty years or sometimes one hundred years a set interest rate. They want flexibility, They want shorter maturities that allow them to make more decisions over over time, and they want to be able to generate higher income and higher yield. So really, at the heart of the market construction, you have this divergence in interests between borrowers and lenders. And again, this is why the benchmark construction is so important because ultimately it is the issuance that drive the overall exposures for those passive types of indicies.
Speaker 1: So, if issuers are extending maturities aggressively when rates are low, do passive investors unknowingly absorb risks that active managers can avoid.
Speaker 2: I think that is the case, right when you kind of look back and it's not, you know, just within the overall interest rate exposure of an investors you can look at you know, overall you know, sector exposures or individual issuers. You see this time in time again where investors are often times exposed to kind of the worst risk at oftentimes the worst time. And it's not you know, you don't blame the borrowers, right, They're doing what is economically in their interest. After the global financial crisis, interest rates were pushed down to zero by central banks globally. And so what did borrowers do. They did exactly what central banks wanted them to do. They borrowed more, and they borrowed for longer periods of time. Well, the other end of that exposure is investors, right, and so the other end of that transactions investors that had more and more interest rate risk as interest rates went lower and lower. And if you look at something like the time period from two thousand and eight until twenty twenty two, this is that period when interest rates were incredibly incredibly low duration, that measure of interest rate exposure for investors went higher quartergraph re quarter year after year until it hit a cyclical high in twenty twenty two, which was the same time that we had the worst bear market in fixed income in nearly fifty years. And so I think there were a lot of investors that thought, I have an exposure to the let's say Bloomberg aggregate index, right, the standard largest pass to benchmark that that investors have out there in the US without realizing that very gradually, over a ten to fifteen year period of time, their interest rate exposure actually increased by roughly fifty percent. And they had that maximum exposure again when interest rates were incredibly low hand, right before interest rates moved higher and suffered a lot of you know, capital loss as a result.
Speaker 1: So there's something else I wanted to talk to you about. You know. You know, I think a lot of investors think that active management simply means just kicking on more risk. And you know, that might be the case for some equity managers or strategies, I should say, you know, but I think your research shows that when it comes to fixed income, active actually delivers better risk adjusted returns. And so you know what separates you know, you know, active risk taking for versus just out reckless yield chasing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so there certainly are different, many different strategies and in many different active approaches, and that's true in the fixed income world as well. But I do think this again comes down to some of the nuances of a benchmark construction in the fixed income universe. There there are a number of rules that I think are in place more because of the kind of status quo. It's way things have been done for a long time as opposed to the way things should be done. If you even look at the US fixed income market somewhere around you know, call it, you know, fifty eight maybe sixty trillion dollars in total fixed income assets, roughly half of those, just under half, are actually in the benchmark. So you are immediately, immediately not even looking at roughly half of the fixed income assets that are available to you as as an investor. Some of those maybe you know, higher risk types of security. Some of them may be the lower risk types of securities, but you know, at the end of the day, it means less diversification. So even with the same amount of risk, but utilizing a broader universe of options, you can create a much more diverse portfolio utilizing some of these non Bloomberg aggregate index types of securities. And that's not even getting into the global opportunity set. The Bloomberg egg is is just under twenty percent of the total global fixed income universe. So I kind of think about this. Let's say you're building a sports team, right and you know, even if you just look at the US and you say, okay, fifty percent of the securities are in the benchmark and fifty percent are not. It would be like being a general manager for a sports franchise and you make a draft pick and then you flip a coin, and then after the coin flips, if it's head, you get to keep the player. If it's tails, you don't get to keep the player. Right, are you going to have a better team or a worse team if you will only get about half of the overall opportunity set or that the universe to be able to choose from. So I think there is a big issue here and it can lead to you know, more risk through less diversification because it's such a smaller subset of the total universe.
Speaker 1: So I think it also brings up an interesting point with just the sheer number of securities. And so you know, with equities there's a few thousand, you know, at least on the US and you know before we can get to global, but you know, with the global bond market, what is there a million securities? Something like that you kind of walk us through how that creates inefficiencies that allow active managers to kind of like you touched upon it a little bit, you know, talking about how the index only carries part of it, but you know, kind of walk us through how that creates these inefficiencies for active managers to exploit.
Speaker 2: Certainly, I think a lot of this comes down to complexity, and oftentimes complexity can lead to opportunity. It can lead to missed pricings. And yeah, you know, at the index level, you're right, there's just an enormous amount of securities. But you can even break this down to let's say one issuer, use something like you know, JP Morgan. JP Morgan is a massive fixed income issuer, one of the largest constituents and in most of the US fixed income you know, investment grade types of benchmarks. Generally speaking, they have kind of one equity, right, they have one ticker. You have a lot of people sell side and buy side analysts, individual investors that are looking at that company, analyzing it, trying to figure out what's the right price and if it's mispriced, to take advantage of that mispricing. But it's really one security. On the fixed income side, they issue thousands of securities and that's just one individual company. But they also issue all sorts of different terms in those securities. Some are more senior, some are more subordinated, Some have call options and put options that impact they're pricing. They have different maturities, they have different coupons, they may have different indentures that are governing what happens in different types of scenarios. That just leads to an enormous amount of complexity, and therefore there are many fewer investors that have the resources to be able to analyze all of those differences, which then ultimately leads to mispricing. But it's not just those individual issuers too. You can look at additional markets that don't even exist in the equity world, things like the securitized space, whether it's mortgages, they're asset backed securities, or collateralized loan obligations. There's a wide variety of securitized types of exposures that simply don't have a counterpart. Same thing with municipal bonds. An incredible amount of issuers within the municipal market very small, across different states and localities, in different types of revenue streams. So there's a lot of complexity, but ultimately it means fewer individual investors analyzing that complexity, which then leads to different types of inefficiencies and opportunities for active management.
Speaker 1: Well, how important would you say flexibility is today just in today's bond market? I guess, like, in other words, how valuable is it to have a manager who can shorten duration, or avoid certain sectors or lean into dislocations when markets change quickly?
Speaker 2: I think it is important today. I think all the things that we've been talking about are not unique to this specific environment. But these are structural types of inefficiencies that have existed for a very long time, that have a lot of academic literature supporting them, that also we think are likely to continue to exist in the future and including in the present as well. We talked about the overall kind of duration or the interest rate exposure, and how investors had the most exposure at the wrong time there. We've seen that in other areas. You can kind of think about the shale boom. In the kind of post global financial crisis period, investors may be reaching for a little bit of yield investing and lending on easier terms to energy companies than we had a big energy cycle in twenty fifteen. In twenty sixteen that wiped out a lot of capital. As active managers, Again, you're not just tracking those exposures and getting more of the exposure after all of the lending is done. You can really dispassionately look at that and say, are you getting compensated for those risks given the underlying fundamentals and dynamics that are that are in place at that time. So when we look today, you know, there's a couple of things that we look at. Ye know, one is is what's happening within AI. We do expect that to fundamentally alter a lot of business models. There's a lot of focus, and we think for good reason on software companies. That's been an area that's grown dramatically in the last couple of decades. I think investors on the fixed income side really need to think about, you know, where do they have that exposure, whether it's in private markets or the syndicated loan market or in public fixed inc in markets, is it the proper exposure given how much that has grown over the last couple of decades. Conversely, we've seen interest rates increase increase pretty dramatically. Given events that are occurring in the Middle East, this may be a time that investors want to be able to lock in higher yields rather than what we saw previously when yields were incredibly low and they were taking more interest rate risk. We've actually seen duration, so that interest rate exposure, the risk that investors had, it's come down significantly from twenty twenty two. The cost of borrowing has gone higher. What are borrowers doing. They're borrowing for a shorter time period now, so this may be a time that investors want to move the other direction. So we do see a lot of opportunities. We think the value in that flexibility is high today has ever been.
Speaker 1: Also want to ask about central bank intervention and the potential for distorting markets. You know, if we think about mortgage back security during COVID, does passing investing become more dangerous when markets are being heavily influenced by the central banks?
Speaker 2: It absolutely does. And this is another component that is I think much more pronounced in the fixed income investing world, and that is the prevalence of non economic buyers. Right there is a spectrum. Some are kind of less economic than others. But on the one end you have things like central banks, something like the Bank of Japan, the Bank of Japan owns roughly fifty percent of the total outstanding debt of the Government of Japan. They are not buying that debt because they're trying to hit return bogies. They're trying to manage their economy, and you see this from kind of treasury departments in central governments in different places that may be managing to a specific currency target or currency pag These are not economic decision. But there are also incredibly large and influential institutional buyers in the fixed income market that are maybe partially economic. You can think of insurance companies or commercial banks. They may be having to buy certain types of securities for regulatory reasons. They may be kind of looking and trying to make a partially economic decision, but they might be constrained by a rating or a maturity, or a particular type of industry or that type of thing, and therefore they might be limited in what they would actually do did they not have to hit those kind of regulatory targets, which can lead to mispricing as well. So I think that is a really big factor, especially when you look at how large some of these buyers are in a fixed income market, and you really don't see anything comparable on the equity side.
Speaker 1: You mentioned earlier, you know, one of the benefits of active bond investing is lower cost. But I just kind of want to you know, when we think of low cost, it's you know, index investing, and you know like that, I think the before active kind of had a rebound recently, you know, index investing was kind of the big thing that all you know, a lot of retail investors really into. But is there a hitting cost passive bond investing, you know for investors?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it there there is, you know, and it's really opportunity cost, right, And I think you brought it up earlier, and I think it's you know, you really hit the nail on the head. I mean, there it is not just about higher returns and taking more risk, but is actually those risk adjusted returns and it is the cost of a lack of diversification. And so when you look at the overall return stream, and this is where there's been a lot of research across a broad array of different types of fixed income strategies, but the median active manager tends to outperform their benchmarks over the long running. See that over and over again, and that's even true if you adjust for beta, look at something like Jensen's elf or you know something that says, okay, maybe this manager is structurally overweight a riskier part of the market. Are you getting compensated for that? And it still holds up the vast majority of time and a lot of different active parts of fixed income, And so I think in vetters really do need to think about that that opportunity cost. What is the opportunity cost of maybe being more exposed to, you know, the prices that can be driven by non economic actors. What is the opportunity cost of not being able to invest in more attractive risk adjusted return opportunities that are outside of the benchmark due to you know, some kind of archaic type of benchmark rule that that hasn't been updated in decades. I think all of those different types of things need to be taken into account for the cost of passive investing when you're comparing it to active investors that have more more flexibility to be able to take advantage of those limitations.
Speaker 1: So your research also showed that passive core bond strategies ab underperform the Bloomberg ag after fees, you know, over was it five year rolling periods since since O eight, and you know, I think it kind of goes back to, you know, the whole fees issue. I mean, why do you think the whole fee fees are everything now have kind of remained so dominant today.
Speaker 2: I mean, ultimately, I think it is kind of the bird in the hand instead of the two in the bush type of idea. Investors know exactly what the fee is. It's explicit, it's stated. And this comes back to, I think kind of a shortcut from some very valuable lessons that investors have learned over many, many decades around the cost of active management and certain types of equity strategies where maybe they weren't getting that value and the in the cost was higher, and so they've applied many of those lessons to the fixed income universe, where we don't think it applies. Again, both on the benefit and the cost side. The fees and the fixed income side are are much much lower, but the value being delivered is significantly higher because there are all of these structural inefficiencies and opportunities for active managers to add value on the fixed income side. So I do think that is that the big issue is it is is simple, and it is kind of a heuristic that that investors that have learned from many years on the equity side of investing.
Speaker 1: So if someone owned a passive aggregate bond fund today, what exposures at risk? You know, would you tell them that they might not really fully appreciate.
Speaker 2: So it definitely depends on kind of which type of multi sector. But if you're looking at US kind of of US types of investment grade, we do think that there is actually very good value in things like mortgages in the securitized space. So you can compare that to let's say two thousand and eight, when investors were the most exposed to the US housing market, again right before the global financial crisis. During the Global financial crisis, they had the largest exposure at arguably the worst possible time. Again, we don't think that was an accident. I think that was the result of the issuance patterns that we were seeing back then. Today there is very little issuance. The housing market has slowed down significantly, but we think that the fundamentals are much much stronger, and if anything, investors may be under exposed to that type of market. So I think is a potential risk of not having kind of enough exposure to some of the more attractive parts of the market. We talked a little bit about interest rates. Again, we've seen raps move higher as a result of what's happening in the Middle East. When we look out kind of six months, you know, we would anticipate that that becomes less of a focus for investors. We think investors will you know, six months from now, really be focusing more on what does AI mean for the economy and what does that mean for inflation. We see that as a strong disinflationary force. We would argue that means you want to take advantage of the yields that are on offer today. So I think investors not fully appreciating maybe the headlines in what that may mean for future returns in the fixed income space. Those are a couple of opportunities things that we think really investors are not not fully appreciating in the current market environment.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I have a couple of questions, but you know, first I just want to ask you about the future before we kind of get into you know, where where you're currently positioning. But where do you think active bond managers can add the most value over the next decade, So you know, going out ten years is a security selection in sector rotation, duration management or something else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, our view, and we talk about this is really a differentiating factor in the active space is to really use what we talk about as a multiple levers type of approach. Again, there are so many different reasons and different types of opportunities in different cycles that create these types of opportunities. We would like to be able to utilize all of them to again not just look for higher return but also to properly risk managed portfolios through the cycle. So we think there are opportunities in duration, in curve, cross sectors, geographies. Security selection has been a calling card for our firm for a very very long time. We have had very very good results and there's always securities that are going to outperform other securities regardless of what type of cycle you're in. So we really do think that it's this this kind of multiple levers approach and how you build all the active decisions in a really diversified way that ultimately will not just create stronger returns, but again more more efficient risk adjusted returns to the cycle and over the long run.
Speaker 1: Okay, and if we kind of talk you know more short term, you know, your head of global macro, and so just love to get you know, get where you know the firm and you're thinking, you know, wise is over the next few months. I know you mentioned, you know, the war in the Middle East and AI are some of the things I've heard in the conversation, and so I just I'd love to kind of get a little bit of an overview of you know, what you're thinking about over the next few months in terms of where you're positioning. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, so, we've we're looking at the fake think of marketplace. We do think that the focus on really what's happening in the Middle East and the implications for for longer term inflation risk and ultimately monetary pot is a bit overdone. We're seeing the market price in an expectation of the Fed actually hiking rather than cutting. We don't think that is correct. We still think that the next move, even if it is getting pushed out into next year, is more likely to be a cut rather than a hike. And this does come back to our view that the issues in the Middle East will become less of a focus for investors in a couple of quarters, and that AI is going to be a positive supply shock that ultimately reduces costs for the economy and ultimately prices inflation and allows the FED to resume reducing interest rates. So that is one big factor. The other factor I think is interesting is really the global opportunities set. We talked about how the US HAG is only about one fifth of the total fixed income marketplace. That the opportunities that globally, whether that's in developed markets or in emerging markets outside of the US, continues to expand. So all of these issues that we've talked about, those issues are just becoming bigger and bigger over time. Because in the nineteen eighties and the nineteen nineties, the global public fixed income marketplace was predominantly a US market. A lot of the opportunities outside of the US we're not as developed, a lot of that lending was done on bank balance sheets. It is becoming more of a public fixed income marketplace, which means there are more opportunities outside of the US, and we have seen a lot of these non US fixed income markets underperform as a result of their dependence on on energy and what's happening with Iran today. So we see the global fixed income universe not only you know, structure uh more more attractive, but also from a shorter cyclical standpoint, providing better better value, better yield, and better risk adjusted returns as well.
Speaker 1: So I've got just one more question I think kind of sums everything up, you know. Obviously, I think a lot of investors kind of focus on the equity markets and not as much as the bond markets, or at least when we're talking about retail investors.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 1: I guess my question is what would surprise you know, retail equity investors most if they looked, how you know, if they really look closely at how bond markets actually function.
Speaker 2: I think that they would be uh surprised at the value that is available in the active fixed income uh marketplace, even from a im median manager. I don't think you know, investors, you know, maybe oftentimes you know, trying to catch the hot hand, find the you know, the top desktop performer in some given given year, but simply alec aiding a portion to the active fixed income marketplace, getting a median manager, I think they would be surprised at the type of a value that can be generated by making that decision. Again, there is a lot of focus on the equi world because the returns can be so significantly higher and the volatility can be the higher. But on the fixed income side, really look at that, it's kind of the low hanging fruit that investors should spend more time focusing on what is really, in our view, an easier investment decision, which is being able to generate possibly twenty five or maybe fifty basis points of access returns for relatively low risk active types of strategies compared to the cost, which is oftentimes a fraction of that potential return as opposed to chasing you know, multiple percentage points the potential upside, but with the potent downside, and with much higher costs as well. So we do view that as is something that investors would be surprised at the type of a bargain they can get in the active fixed income world today.
Speaker 1: Great, well, unfortunately we need to end here, but I really enjoy this. Noah, thanks again for joining me.
Speaker 2: Thank you, David enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: I also want to thank our listeners. If you liked the episode, please share, subscribe, and leave a review. And if you'd like to see more of our research on the terminal, go to BI Fund go for fund and active research until our next episode. This is David Cone with inside Active