Speaker 1: Summer camp.
Speaker 2: It's not really something I ever thought i'd actually experience, but lo and behold, Mom told me I'm signed up and camp is next week. Leaving home, trying new things, having fun, making new friends. Camp has it all, and you'd think that someone in junior high would be jumping at the idea right well. To be honest, just thinking about leaving for camp gives me butterflies. If I told you I'm homeschooled, you'd probably be thinking that's the whole reason I'm nervous.
Speaker 3: But that's not even it.
Speaker 2: I have glass on Wednesdays, young Scholars group on Thursdays, and swim team every other evening, plus meets. I'm busy and, as some say, socialized. I guess the whole camp thing is just scary because of the unknown. I wonder what made my parents sign me up for this camp so quick though. There has to be something different about it for them to jump on board without even bringing it up to me.
Speaker 4: Aby us.
Speaker 5: Coming, So your dad told you about camp?
Speaker 3: A Yes, camp.
Speaker 4: Real, though, let's just talk about it for a minute. You know your mother and I want you to reach your full potential in.
Speaker 3: The best way possible.
Speaker 4: I know, well, we found the best program for the summer. Take a look.
Speaker 2: Camp Scuba Marine Biology Summer accelerated program academics with a taste of adventure. This sounds more like college than camp.
Speaker 4: Exactly. It's not your average camp. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for you.
Speaker 5: You'll get all the education you need to get your credits for science and it says adventure. Doesn't this sound great?
Speaker 6: Honey?
Speaker 3: Yeah? But you know how I feel about Camp, Avery.
Speaker 5: What's there to be nervous about. You're smart, funny, a great friend, and a great swimmer. Everyone will love you, and I bet you'll thank us when it's all over.
Speaker 2: What if they all know each other from school? Well, anyone there even know what homeschooling is.
Speaker 4: Avery. It's not the nineties anymore. Everyone is so connected now with those razor flip phones and texting.
Speaker 6: It's the two thousands now, Honey, people know what homeschooling is. Plus, look here seek you'll also learn how.
Speaker 5: To scuba dive. It's right on the edge of Shakeford Point. You know that beautiful beachfront stretch off the coast of North Carolina. It's just an hour or so from here.
Speaker 3: Well, what if I don't like it, Avery.
Speaker 4: The only way you'll know is if you give it.
Speaker 3: A dry mine. I guess I'll go.
Speaker 4: Great, it's settled.
Speaker 3: Then, can I be excused? I better get packing?
Speaker 5: Sure, honey, I put a bunch of class applies on your desk. Make sure you get those packed up. You're gonna need them.
Speaker 3: Okay, Mom?
Speaker 2: Marine biology scuba diving. I guess it sounds like fun, but I still feel my stomach churning. Sleeping in a cabin all week is definitely not the same as.
Speaker 3: A sleepover at Sarah's house. Hi, more minutes?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 3: What did the week fly by so fast?
Speaker 4: Avery? Us leaves in fifteen minutes?
Speaker 3: I must he called it the bus.
Speaker 4: It's just a van, all right? All set?
Speaker 3: Yep?
Speaker 2: I wish Sarah was coming. At least then i'd have one friend, my best friend. It's so scary thinking that I won't know anyone will all together? Campers know each other from school? Do people know what homeschool is these days?
Speaker 3: Wait? What about sharks?
Speaker 2: Do they only let us scuba dive in areas without sharkspe So I don't like sharks?
Speaker 7: Testing? Testing? Can you hear me? I'm there? My name is Edward Thatch, founder and head of Camp Scuba. Hello to our two thousand and four MBSA scholars. Can we give them a hand? It's with great pride that I welcome you all to our amazing camp. You are the select few that have been given the opportunity to learn from the best teachers the Crystal Coast has to offer, and those that excel in the classroom will be given the training to scuba dive off our very own coastline. The ocean world is at your fingertips. Nah, without further ado, let us turn our attention to the screen. Welcome to Camp Scuba Dive into an adventure like no other at Camp School.
Speaker 2: If you ask me, this guy seems a little full of himself. His scruffy beard and long gray hair remind me of someone I just can't quite put my finger on it. Sure he's put together, almost two put together. With that navy blue suit of his and pointy boots, he looked kind of like a pirate that had to go to a job interview.
Speaker 4: Let's get you settled. This place is just amazing.
Speaker 3: Amazing, but Stove Camp just perfect.
Speaker 5: This place is so quaint.
Speaker 3: I guess this is it can I call you if I can't stand it tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, Honnie, but I'm sure you will love it. We love you.
Speaker 5: Try to have fun.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, love you too.
Speaker 5: First time away.
Speaker 2: Oh sorry, I didn't even see you up there.
Speaker 3: Have you been up on the bed this whole time?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Sorry, felt strange to jump into the conversation. My name's Morgan, him Avery. So you're here because you're some kind of science genius or something.
Speaker 2: Well, not necessarily my parents sign me up.
Speaker 5: I can see that.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 5: For me, it was either this or summer school. And the only reason I was accepted here is because I somehow got a high score on my science testing this spring. Hmmm.
Speaker 3: So this camp wasn't your first pick either for the summer.
Speaker 5: You can say that for sure. But I have to say scupa diving That sounds fun.
Speaker 3: Yes, you're right, can't say I've ever done that before.
Speaker 5: Come on, let's find the cafeteria.
Speaker 7: Then.
Speaker 5: I'm dying to see what that campfire bash thing is tonight.
Speaker 3: Campfire bash, yeah.
Speaker 5: Says here on the schedule. It's a mandatory bonfire and s'mores will be in abundance.
Speaker 3: Humh, I've never been to a mandatory bonfire before.
Speaker 5: Yeah, sounds more like an initiation to me.
Speaker 7: Everyone, everyone, welcome to our first night of campfire history, where we learned the real tales of right here before.
Speaker 3: Our eyes, real tales.
Speaker 5: Who does this guy think he is?
Speaker 3: That's what I thought.
Speaker 7: Now, before we begin, I need to give credit where credit is due to this man right here on my right. Let's get it up for Professor Johnny Hayes.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Thanks everyone here at Camp Scuba. My job is not only keep everything run smoothly, but I am tasked with educating all of you everything there is to know about the marine world. With my years of experience researching scuba diving and training under the world renowned sciences up the ocean, I plan to bring new lots of this undiscovered world. I see only your best, your discipline.
Speaker 7: We're on a schedule, right, Thank you, Professor. Now to begin the tales. You almost know the truth that I tell you have been passed down from generation to generation from this very book in my hands. This old tittered thing is more precious than gold. Well, oh, and we will be learning the stories it so perfectly tells. Gather around your brave souls and let me spin your tale of the high seas, of bravery and honor amidst the waves. This be the story of Blackbeard, not as the fearsome pirate of legend, but as a hero of the ocean and the golden age of piracy. There sailed a man known as black Beard. His ship, the Queen Anne's revenge, cut through the waves like a knife through butter, her black sails billowing in the wind. But unlike the tales that spread fear among the people, Blackbeard was not the villain they made him out to be. Blackbeard, whose true name was Edward, was a man of noble heart and a fierce sense of justice.
Speaker 2: A fierce sense of justice even I know Blackbeard was a pirate.
Speaker 3: Come on, now, is this all a test? Is it a Oh?
Speaker 2: I guess it's just too soon to know. Maybe Klass tomorrow will make sense of all this