Speaker 1: Of the law and order franchises. SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies.
Speaker 1: These episodes are based on. These are our stories, done done, Hello again and welcome to That's Messed Up an SVU podcast. I'm one of your hosts, Kara Klank and I'm Liza Traeger.
Speaker 2: We talk SVU crime celeb guests up top. We chit chat, we catch up because it's not like we don't see each other constantly, but it is nice to catch up. Well, I sent you a news story. Should we start there or do we want to start with some Oh, tour dates?
Speaker 1: Yeah, let me tell everybody the tour dates really quick. Guys, just announce we just announced a loss Angela's show. So let me go down through June. What we're doing. We're going to be at Cobbs in San Francisco on June eighth. We're going to be at the Tempe Improv in Tempe, Arizona on June fifteenth. We're gonna be at Denver Comedy Works in Denver on June twenty fifth, and then we'll be at the Bourbon Room in Los Angeles. On the twenty ninth, La. We need you to show up for this. We've moved venues. We love the venue we did before, but we're trying to do something a little splash here with guys. I just went to this place. Remember I talked about going to see Broadway Barbara. I went there to see her. It's such a fun venue. It's really cool. There's cool drinks, there's good I had tater tots that were delicious. The come for the tots, stay for the SVU, let's get let's let's sell out this room. I know we have a ton of listeners in La and you guys got to come to our live shows. And you're to drive if you're from other places. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yesterday my sister texts me and she goes, my friend Rna is coming here show in San Diego tomorrow.
Speaker 1: I go, I'm not in San Diego. The what is she doing?
Speaker 2: Yeah? She goes, well, she said she's going to your show in San Diego. I go, we'll tell her to fuck off. But it's because there's a comedy store in La Joya. And she was confused, so she was just looking at the comedy yeah in La. But I thought that was funny and silly. Yeah, we have to sell out la.
Speaker 1: So yeah, you guys got to come out, experience the magic and tell your fat you're in Azusa. Come on down yard and bring friends. Like everybody that comes to our shows brings drag alongs people, that's what we call them. People that don't listen to the pod, and they always have such a good time. And you know, I think some of them start listening, but maybe they don't. They just have a beautiful night. But yeah, our live shows are PowerPoint jokes, fun stuff. It's not just us sitting at a folding table like doing the podcast, although that would be fun too, but it's extra shit. So come on out. Is there anything business wise? As always, guys, we're on TikTok now and sv pod on TikTok and also.
Speaker 2: Want to be our intern come come shoot content with us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then we've got merch up. It's at the link in our bio so on Instagram, which is that smussed up pod, So come buy some of our fun merch we got. We're gonna putting out new merch soon I think too. And that's that. So yeah, Lisa sent me this article over the weekend and was like, we're talking about this article BuzzFeed. It's the wildest thing I've ever read, Lisa, do you want to summarize?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So basically, this dude wants to propose to his girlfriend and he thought it would be funny to fake kidnap her. And I guess there was miscommunication with the hired guns.
Speaker 1: Well, they were his friends.
Speaker 2: So while she was running every woman's fear, she gets snatched in a van by a group of men who restrain her and physically assault her in the car.
Speaker 1: They take her phone, they have her pin down. One guy's caressing her upper thigh like they're trying to make her feel like, this is it for you, babe. You're either going to get raped or murdered or both.
Speaker 2: And then they you know, she's flipping out. She thinks she's gonna die, and then they just like throw her out of the van and the guy's there to propose to her, and she's like, I never want to see him again. So I think the police are called. We don't know what charges are going to be brought onto people. The boyfriend is devastated, but he's giving her space, and she her life is ruined and I don't really know.
Speaker 1: Some of the other details are that what the boyfriend wanted to happen was he wanted his friends to like pull up in a van, jump out like not even in masks, and like hand her a note that's like, your boyfriend wants to see you at this location. Resistance is futile, so that she would like know immediately this is a jokey thing. But his friends he hired, He had one friend to it, and then that friend got two friends, and those two friends were like, now we need to up the antimore and like terrify her, like that'll make it more fun. And they were like laughing the whole time while she was terrified, Like I just it's so fucked, Like it's so fucked because it's not a joke.
Speaker 2: Yeah, scaring someone into one of the worst things that can happen to you is not it.
Speaker 1: I don't get the joke.
Speaker 2: And I bet these guys are just like, well, everyone's gotta lighten up. It's like and someone is crying and flipping out, like you stop. Yeah, but also, how many movies did you not watch? Like to the friend, you don't hire random people. They will shoot to the place you're trying to rob. Like how many movie examples are there, like you don't bring a random extra dude to do a job ever, Yeah, and also Jawbreaker, such a lesson. Don't fake kidnap anybody like the Risks and like, I bet she'll never wrote probably be able to run, or at least for a while. I mean, so she's in full like your body because actors with us a lot, and I feel like they're probably lying, But your body doesn't know the difference between fake and real.
Speaker 1: Yes, you know your body is that trauma response is like real in her, and that's gonna be there, you know, even though the relief of it not being real washes over your brain.
Speaker 2: I feel like your body remembers. Yeah, do we do a poll, would you still marry him or what? Like?
Speaker 1: I don't. I think you know the answer to that bowl pretty much. I think there might be charges against the guys, like not the boyfriend, I don't think, but against the like friends that should be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't snatch a woman, throw her in a van and touch her and think you're gonna Yeah you think that's a show. Yeah, you belong in prison, because what else are you doing? Yeah, psycho what else do you think is funny, sir? It's twisted, man. And I was reading it in the middle of the night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you sent it to me, I was like, oh my god, this is terrifying. And then I told my husband and he was like, what, oh my god, Like he was like taking it more seriously than I did, but though I took it very seriously. What were your final thoughts on the met Gala curious.
Speaker 2: I loved it. I really, I really loved Anne Hathaway. I think she's my favorite. I love Dualipa, so I think I like the the tweet of it all I think was my favorite. Yeah, I thought people turned it out. Some people were boring, but maybe he was boring, you know what I mean. Yeah, I think Lizzo looked bad. I think her stylists fucked up, like, don't understand that look. I think am Rada, I guess, was boring, but I thought everyone turned it out, like I like, I liked seeing it, and I think Anne Hathaway did the best.
Speaker 1: I don't know that designer well enough, like I don't know Carl Lagerfeld well enough to be like, who's doing it well or not? I'm just kind of reacting to like the books.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess he designed for Chanel, so he was like head of Chanel for many years, and then Chloe and then probably other places that I don't know about. So Chanelle is like tweed Bo's Pearls and that's you know what people.
Speaker 1: Mostly, Yeah, was it you that sent us a thing that was like Anne Hathaway just coming back to tell all of you guys to fuck off after you all turned on her, Like there was some meme that was like everybody turned on Anne Hathaway and now she's fucking back to make you eat it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And people just hated her because she was too earnest, like she was a theater kid and it's like whataz.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think Zua and Anne Hathaway are my favorites and they're both kind of similar, so that's embarrassing for me.
Speaker 1: But who there were other people I liked.
Speaker 2: I like some Oh, Kara Delavine loved her like high high black tight boots and then a white like puffy like a play on his shirts. Everybody looks really gorge I feel like it's so many people looking hot.
Speaker 1: I loved.
Speaker 2: I loved does after party look a lot? Oh, I love Emma Chamberlain. I liked both her looks a lot. I thought she did awesome. I think Janelle Monet always turns it out, and I'm glad the guys are finally like having fun.
Speaker 1: Usually it's only like two to three guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sparkling and this it seemed like a lot of the dudes were like turning it out and being.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm looking at this guy, Alton Mason who's in like a wedding wedding kind of like jumpsuit with a veil, and it looks really cool. Yeah. I was just wondering because I just feel like I loved Was there a cockroach or something at the mac Gala.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was a cockroach on the stairs and people were like, who are you wearing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like cocker over here over here.
Speaker 2: I think someone then smushed the cockerroach and it was like people were doing like rips like twenty twenty three to twenty twenty three, the Life of the Cockerroach, you know whatever.
Speaker 1: So there were three cats.
Speaker 2: It was Doja Cat, Little nas X and Jared Letto were the cats of the evening. I gotta see all these cats. Go look at the cats. Pick your chop. I think Jared Leto I just hate so much. And I was talking about him with other people last night, where I guess Anne Hathaway mentioned when she worked with him that she never met Jared Letto, she only met the character Adam, And I'm like, I just hate these kinds of actors. I really really do. Like, get a grip, get a grip that I can. I kind of like what he's wearing. It's I kind of like that he's just in like, I love it. He's my favorite cat. Yeah, because I bet that's like a fifteen thousand dollars cap.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Little nas X looks cool too, but doja cat? I don't. The prosthetic stuff kind of freaks me out a little bit. I just have to be honest. Like her outfit, her body, like everything looks great, umber outfit, but like the cat face. I'm like, I like the idea of like glamour but twisted, you know, like glitter, glitter sexy. But then he I have a cat face. I like it. But both your and.
Speaker 2: Little Lazak's did the same bit, which I think is embarrassing, and they answered all their interview questions with me now, so it's like, you know, they should have maybe talked a little beforehand.
Speaker 1: Is there something caddy about Carlagerfeld? Like is he a cat person? Yeah? He had a cat. Yeah, oh catty love Okay, because otherwise Jared Letto's doesn't make a ton of sense to me. I mean, the other two can work, I feel like, but his being like full mascot anyway. Yeah, I just wanted to ask you because I know that you you consider the ball a full event, so I wanted to hear your thoughts.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's unique to me. I think it's an event and our friend in the art world. I don't normally pay attention to it, but you I know, love it. Yeah, And I've been to the and I've been to the you know museum before to see I went to the camp Collection.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Caara, I know where we have to start the episode. God.
Speaker 2: So in San Francisco, I there was like a twenty two year old young comic who said Whitney Houston is not a real artist because she doesn't write her own music. And I schooled him. I taught him in a kind amazing way. After I did to go take a shot of whiskey it really like fucked with my constitution that anyone would say that. Last night, I was sitting with the I think they're in a cult. I think these comics are in a cult. They were saying that Joe Rogan is as famous in the same level as Beyonce. No, and I was just like no, and they kept trying to convince me, and I go, no, no, we can disagree. I have no argument. I'm not a Beyonce, I'm not in the Beehive. I'm just telling you, as an objective person, out of all of this Beyonce, more people know who Beyonce is than Joe Rogan.
Speaker 1: Also, are you just talking about the United States of America. Beyonce's a worldwide superstar. Nobody in France knows who fucking Joe Rogan is.
Speaker 2: Well, And then at towards the end, then other people started agreeing with me, because me and my friend Charlie were just like, more like, even if you're not a fan of Beyonce, you know who Beyonce is. There are millions of people in this in the state let.
Speaker 1: Me live who don't know who Rogan. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Total, And then all of a sudden he goes, well, I mean like the reach and the influence. I go, no, no, no, you said more famous than you're wrong, and now you're trying to like switch it all around.
Speaker 1: But these people are just they're in occult of Joe Rogan.
Speaker 2: Also, I went to his club while we were there in Austin and it was gorgeous. I was raving about it to you. I just found out from someone else. So there's like a comedian balcony that you could watch everything, and then a VIP balcony, and I guess Alex Jones and Elon Musk hang out there.
Speaker 1: So I'm never gonna obviously go back. But yeah, that's yikes all around.
Speaker 3: Ye.
Speaker 2: I was so excited. I was telling you. I was like, this is the best club. They're paying everyone amazing. It looks gorgeous, the green rooms incredible. And then I just found out that fully Alex Jones hangs out there.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. It's like sick. You gotta stop with the fucking Alex Jones, you guys. He Oh my gosh. Anyway, wait, I was just gonna say something to you.
Speaker 2: But to think that Joe Rogan and Beyonce are on the same level of fame, I'm like, you guys are truly in a cult.
Speaker 1: You're in a cult. He's like eleven million.
Speaker 2: I go, just Instagram followers alone, she probably has two hundred something million, and she barely posts, and he's in double digits if he's even broken, twenty MILIK like, I don't even know. And they go, well, a lot of those followers are fake. I go, you're an idiot. I go, you're all idiots. And Emma, I'm like, you don't even have to be a fan of Beyonce. But you know her children's names, you know single ladies. You know.
Speaker 1: I just found out I'm in the comedy community, and I just found out Joe Rogan is married and has kids. I don't know anything about him. I know all of Beyonce's information. She has three hundred and twenty eight million followers. He has sixteen point nine.
Speaker 2: It's millionsane, and he goes, well, some of them are fake, and it's like.
Speaker 1: Babe, even if half a hard day, even if half of her followers are fakes, she has twenty times as many as Joe Rogan.
Speaker 2: And they kept trying to argue, and I straight up gwent, I have no I go, I don't need to.
Speaker 1: They're literally telling you the sky is green. There's nothing you can do, you can't argue, and he goes, stop trying to be the bigger person. I go, oh, I'm not trying. I don't I know.
Speaker 2: I'm like, there's nothing that you can say that would make you correct in any way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then people are.
Speaker 2: Like, well, yeah, but he influences the way people live their lives more than Beyonce, it like in terms of the and I'm like, you guys are idiots.
Speaker 1: This is the same guy that said Whitney Houston's not an artist, because this is an La different guy.
Speaker 2: The people in LA are obsessed with Joe Rogan to a place where they like, I don't know if they think that one day they will get anointed by him, but to him, to them, they.
Speaker 1: Are he is a guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, though I think it's delusional to think he's more famous then Beyonce.
Speaker 1: It is literally like one plus one is seven, Like it doesn't make any sense. But I was gonna say, since we're on the subject, I did see I want to dance with somebody on a plane, and I do get more emotional on planes. But I really loved it. I talked to my friend last night, Nicole, and she was like, I did not like it. Whinnie Houston did crack for twenty years. Why didn't I see any of that? I was like, well, it's like a PG thirteen movie that they're trying to make about her life. I don't think they show. They showed the drug use, of course, but they didn't show like twenty she goes, she goes, Whitney Houston wore diapers at one point because she would just walk around and biss herself. I go, yeah, I don't think I want to see that in the movie. But we can agree to disagree. Maybe in twenty years we could get a movie like that. It's a little fresh. Yeah, yeah, in twenty years we can get the gritty biopic where it's got all the horrible shit, it's like so sad. But this movie was just like nice if you're on Delta. I just loved, like seeing how she came to fame. She's like truly a voice of a generation, Like no one to me is like Whitney, Like even the best voices, I feel like no one is as good as her. But let's get started. This is a great episode and we gotta go all right, all right. This episode is called Parole Violations. It's from season sixteen, episode fifteen, and we start out with a big ass teddy bear in our face and it's being held by Bella Careesi and she is played by Maren Ireland, who's been in a ton of stuff. She's also in that episode called Confrontation, which is has the guy from House of Cards who assaults women based on their ovulation calendar because he's trying to have some sort of like Psycho master Race fantasy. And so she's in that episode. And now she's been brought back as Bella Creesy. I thought she was like recurring, but she's only been in this one episode as Bella.
Speaker 2: It's so interesting. It's ovulation. I always think of him as the piss guy. Oh right, the pis guy. Yeah, but ovulation is more normal. Yeah, I mean, neither are that normal. But yeah, I guess the ware.
Speaker 1: But he I thought he was hot in House of Cards. Oh you did? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I like Michael Keller, Yeah yeah, I like, I mean, you know it, But what's the like, what's the help a Henchman? I guess isn't hot. But I did love Doug Stamper in House of cards, and he is he's sort of more than a henchman. He's not just like hired muscle, because he's kind of a strategist too.
Speaker 1: Like he's like, we're gonna make it to the top together, like Ruthless.
Speaker 2: But he's the first person I would say with a bozo haircut that I was like fully attracted to.
Speaker 1: He does have a bozo He needs to just give up the ghost and shave all the way around. No, he makes it, you like it. I like him. I like him. Well, he's been in a bunch of svs too. He was in Slaves. Okay. So she is holding this teddy bear and showing Sonny CARRESI, you know our boy crisy. Oh, I will just call Cariesy from now and I will be talking about him and not the sister. And she's like, oh, this is how many decorated the baby's room, like a crib over dan and then a changing table over that, and it's just like a hoarding room that's filled with junk. And she's just showing him like where she might put stuff. Carrisee's like, sounds great, but you can tell he's kind of judging it. Bella still hasn't told their mom aka Sarah Fina Carresi aka Beverly di'angelo, a dear friend of the pod, and she hasn't told her yet because she's waiting to get hitched to Tommy and mon talk soon and this is another SVU Tommy. I'd like to give a shout out to our listener, Christina s who has emailed us an extensive list with all the Tommies. Yes, we've met her, but she I looked up the email list yesterday and was like, it is truly mind blowing how many Tommies there are in this series. Like I need to get to the bottom of, like, what's going on? Does someone I think it's just an easy name.
Speaker 2: It's like Billy, It's like, oh, okay, get Tommy Firefighter. Yeah, I mean, it's just a lot of fucking Tommy's. Also shout out to my friend Tommy Mack while we're at it. Oh yeah, so many Tommy's.
Speaker 1: The Tommy Sullivan comes in and he is played by Michael Chernis, who is in tons of stuff like he's in severance right now, but I always know him immediately. Ask Piper's brother for Orange is the New Black and he's about to meet his parole officer. He's like on his way and Bella's like, Sonny, what do you think Tommy got a promotion? And like he's like, yeah, now I'm the head like schlepper because I guess he's a mover. And Carisey's like, oh, tell your PO about the promotion. That's brownie points and he's just like I just want to get there early so I can leave early. They have a doctor's appointment to get their first sonogram blah blah blah. So Tommy tells Carisey, oh, did I did I tell you I popped the question? Or did she tell you I pop the question? She's going to make an honest man out of him, and Carisey's like, cool, awesome, Yeah, you deff seem good enough for my sister. Like you can just see he's like great, like and but he's like happy for his sister and he hugs her and he's like, I am happy for you. So now we cut to Tommy in the hallway of his po's office and he's got like a twitching leg. He looks anxious and he's like he's alway, I actually wrote in my notes. He looks anxious, leg twitching, et cetera. A listener did take the time to message me that I was saying et cetera and it's et cetera. So I have corrected myself and I'm learning and growing here on the podcast. So what is it? What is it? And what's the wrong way? It's etcetera, Like it's et cetera. It's not et cetera, like I'm saying it with like an X. Oh interesting, Yeah, it's et cetera. It is Latin, so you know, we should all be speaking this dead language correctly. The po shows up down the hall and it's fucking icon to me and Lisa. Susan Sharon from Sex and the City aka Molly Price is the actor's name. I didn't realize she was on one hundred and thirty episodes of the show Third Watch, So she's a regular on that show. If you ever watch that.
Speaker 2: That makes me happy that you know, I know she's a Schillan's property.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, I know she's been good.
Speaker 2: And that makes me sleep better at night knowing that Susan Sharon is she's retired.
Speaker 1: Yes, well yeah, yeah, totally. I mean that's a fucking ton of network money in her pocket. So she's also been in so many great things, but like that is the thing that she was on for a long time and she I mean, I don't know, she's almost too funny for this role. She like comes walking in and she's like, Tommy Sullivan, you're still here, good for you. And then she's obviously kept waiting for a long ass time and don't give a shit.
Speaker 2: She is great and I'm glad she got to be in just like that because she really livened up that funeral. So I hope I bring back Yeah, yeah, I really.
Speaker 1: I want more of her. I want more Susan Sharon. I mean that's like a good part and a good actor because there are a million people on Saturday on Sex and the City, and like, I know, we know a lot of them in you, especially because you're like huge into that show. But like she sticks out. I feel like just so many people for that arc that she did. She's like, apparently he's been waiting herself.
Speaker 2: Also, well, Sex and the City is filled with lessons, but that one is so I think in everyone because it's in everyone's lives, like are you honest or not with your friends?
Speaker 1: When you don't like their significant other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I feel like people think about Susan Sharon often.
Speaker 1: Because of that.
Speaker 2: That's a lesson you think about a lot, Like you might not always have to think about some of the other goofiness, you know, like not you might not be like, oh, I'm.
Speaker 1: Blowing a guy who has bad smelling sperm or whatever. That might not be your thing. But like everybody has met a spouse or a boyfriend or girlfriend of a friend and been like not for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like not everyone has yeah, has a premature ejaculator or someone that needs to fuck with porn or is all these weird things, but everyone's like, fuck, am I honest with my friend or not?
Speaker 1: Or do you put up with us? Or should they leave? Or should they not?
Speaker 2: And she was fun and she kept talking about him and then the dog.
Speaker 1: You know, it's like but then, don't you think there's like kind of another weird like lesson or at least something to think about in that one where it's like they kind of this they're like this couple that like gets off on fighting, Like even though everyone's like leave, leave, then she's like she like loves fighting with him, Like aren't they isn't.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, but then the dog like saves them, so then they're they're not fighting with the dog at the end. So maybe they did need the dog to not fight, or or they are repeating, you know, bad habits from their past that they like to fight with each other. I have no idea, but yeah, she did, you know, but I think they stayed friends. Like I don't think Susan Sharon really cares or listens to what anyone else is saying, right, I don't think she remembered that Carrie was like leave him. But it wasn't even that they were fighting. He was yelling with her there.
Speaker 1: That was weird, right, I think I think about that couple a lot when, like I see a couple where the man's being like rude and abusive in front of other people, like cause it was kind of more. There's people's spouses I meet where I'm like, I just don't like you. I don't think you're being bad to my friend, I just don't like you. And then there's like this Susan Sharon couple too, where it's like he's being very emotionally abusive, but then it kind of seems like she's like, let me handle this. I could do it, you know, like maybe she kind of I don't think she likes it, but maybe that's like people have generational trauma. That could be how they think relationships go one hundred percent. Because also it's like I doubt Susan Sharon's constantly bringing friends home in the middle of the night. Sure, well, I don't like her in this show because no keeping somebody waiting for two plus hours. This poor guy has been waiting since two o'clock. He had a doctor's appointment at four, and she's like, oh, what was the thing at four o'clock because he didn't say it was a doctors appointment, and he's really beating around the bush like not telling her what the thing was, and she's like, you should have made it for a different day, and he's like, well, it's actually for my fiance, Bella's she's pregnant and it was a doctor appointment for her and Donna, which is I do want to call her Susan Sharin the whole time, but her name is Donna Marshall. And Donna looks like she's been kind of sucker punched when she finds out he's engaged, and she's pregnant, and then she goes around and gets him a cup and is like, oh, I think we need to do a urine test and he's like right here, and she's like yeah, the bathroom is flooded and he goes still, which implies that she's used this excuse before, and she goes, you can decline and I'll ship your ass up state right now. Fucked up. And then she closes the blinds and he has this like panic book on his face, like he's definitely being, you know, about to be forced to do something he doesn't want to do. Cut to CARIESI trapesing around the precinct with a box of Canoli's, like a full caricature like he was at the beginning, and he gives one to Rollins. Tomorrow's like no, and then she's like, don't make me eat alone. It's like cop sweet talk or whatever about like fatty pastries. And then Bella barges in and he's like, Soney, where have you been. I've been texting you all morning. Tell me didn't come home last night, and his phone is going straight to voicemail. So she's in a full panic. Obviously, Big bro Sonny's gonna figure this out. We cut immediately to the eleventh Precinct where Carisee's walking out of this police station with Tommy because he got into some kind of like wasted bar fight the night before, and I guess he's been in like a holding or the drunk tank the night before. So Carisey's like, I'm not covering for you with Bella. Also, your po's gonna find out, and he goes, yeah, I'm not that worried about that, and he's like, well you should be because he's and he's like, no, my po's a woman. And then very quickly it just comes out where he's like, she made me do her like and Caresey flips his shit and he's like, you cheated on my pregnant sister like pulls Tommy like slams them up against a police cruiser and he's like, I didn't want to. She pulled her gun. Please don't tell Bella. And then we're at the credits, so of course he's gonna that's his sister.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you think bro code over family then you don't know, Sonny. Yeah, And it's like when we find out very soon they've got a long history with this family. He's never picking you over Bella and Careasey at the top of Act one is telling Live the whole situation. It sounds like Tommy's been kind of walking the line for a while between being a fuck up and getting his shit together, and just when they think he's gonna like turn it all around, he usually fucks up again and lives like there's no perfect victims. You know, she's always like seeing the full side of it, and Caresey explains how Tommy basically decided to combine weed with delivering pizza.
Speaker 1: You know what an entrepreneur. If you ask me, I don't think that sounds like he didn't fucking murder anyone. He wasn't dealing crack. I mean weed and pizza they kind of go hand in hand. He got three years in jail for that, hope that probably wouldn't be such a heavy offense today, and his sister waited for him. The sister Bella waited for him while he did that. Now he's out on parole and now this Live tries to convince Caresy that Tommy's a victim and needs to support and Tommy doesn't even understand that he was assaulted. Caresey explains that Tommy claims that after the urine test, she pulled the gun forced him to have sex, and that he but Caresee's like he must have been into it or it wouldn't have worked. And this is like a theme that goes on through the entire episode is like how do you get a boner if you don't like it? And it's like in twenty fifteen, I'm just surprised that that's still like a well, this is.
Speaker 2: What I'm gonna say. It's twenty fifteen for us. We've been watching s to you for a while. But Sonny just joined the force.
Speaker 1: That's true. That's true.
Speaker 2: Monny's just a bumble ahead from Saten Islands. He doesn't he doesn't understand that men can get raped.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but even doing.
Speaker 2: Research for this crime, all the news articles are like they won't call it rape. It is like interesting, whoa, it's all like for forced into sex, like it is forced into sexual interport. Yeah that's rape, Like all the language won't say wow. So it is like even now, I mean internet comments I just read for rage, but I'm sure the internet would be like most people won't believe it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, now you know, yeah, Yeah, it's just like it just keeps popping up, like every single person we meet in this episode is like, but how'd he get the boner?
Speaker 2: So it's really confusing and so kay laughing like bono.
Speaker 1: But how do you get the boner? Is that merch? Okay? So like, basically Cariesy doesn't believe male rape as possible. And this is like rule number one for US view detectives. People can get sexually aroused in assault situations, like they say even like sometimes women can like orgasm during a sexual assault, Like it's not it's just like a bodily response and lives gives Live gives coursy shit like and he's like he's a victim and he's certainly not gonna trust you with any of the details or opening up to you the way you're acting. So now live in tomorrow, go see Tommy at his job. He doesn't really want to talk to them. It looks fucking freezing and he's moving. I'm like, can you guys like catch up with him during lunch? Like this is they got to stop him. He's like they can all see their breath. These guys are moving huge arm wars and lives like, look, you're just going to go to your po next week and hope this doesn't happen again, and he's like, yeah, I only have three months left. I'll suck it up and lives like this is not your fault and it's not just going to go away. And Tommy's like, no one's going to believe in ex con about something like this, and it is really sad and unfair, Like ricidivism is like sort of based in a lot of the fact that these people are so ex convicts are so easy to take advantage of because they don't think anyone will believe them, and many times nobody will believe them about anything. So they say, go to the hospital when you get off work. We need you to get tested for evidence. But also Sti's it's like this man is not showered. I guess they just want to make sure that he might have like some of her DNA on him still, but like, yeah, you have a pregnant wife, like your frick pregnant fiance, Like you should get tested for STIs just in case, And they're kind of getting to him with that. He's like, oh, I haven't thought about that, and so like the guys he's working with are like get a little help over here. And he's like, all right, just come by tomorrow, bring the clothes you're wearing, and we'll take your statement. So now we're at the precinct and Rollins, I feel like one of the reasons that we've all been up and down with Rawlins is because she is the first person to be like, I don't know, Like she's very skeptical. She's like, there's no witnesses, the victim not even want to might not even want to pursue charges. And then they're like, no, Tommy came in and gave a statement. He's reluctant but consistent, and Caresee's like, I want to know if he's credible. Rollins is like, I'm really not buying it, and she goes it looks bad that he didn't disclose until after the parole violation. Drink. That's the name of the episode. If you're listening to this on a Tuesday morning, please drink in your car. Liv tells Caresey, you know you can't be part of this investigation, and then let's all watch us. He is fully part of the investigation for the rest of the episode, but she says, you can walk your sister, Bella and Tommy through like what's going on and what's going to happen in the future. And so he's like, all right, I guess I'll go do that now. She's like, yeah, on your way. So now live in rollins gather around Tomorrow's computer for the breakdown of Donna Marshall aka Susan Sharon. She's a master in social work. She was at the top of her class.
Speaker 2: She's been in that office showl because you know, my theory is good people do social work sociology, bad people do criminal justice. So the fact that she did social work is a fork in my theory.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know, let's talk about it when we get later into the episode, like what the where the Donna? Where Donna went off the tracks? You know what I mean? Like maybe it's possible. Like when she graduated college, she really was like I'm gonna help these people, I'm gonna do good and then like you know, she got broken at some point. So anyway, she has the lowest recidivism rate in the department. She's been there for ten years. She's very like highly respected. So and just the way she speaks like it could be my ASMR.
Speaker 2: I can go to bed, said Susan Sharon playing Donna, Like the way she says detective in this, the way she says recidivism like her nails in that, like she is she is mother, like she is the moment, like.
Speaker 1: Like she is a criminal.
Speaker 2: She's bad, but like I love like aesthetically, the way she sounds like I am in love with her.
Speaker 1: It's oh my gosh, I hope she's I hope somebody she knows listens to this podcast and sends her and is like, do you want like a full twenty minute like compliment because here it is on this podcast detective like a detective, Yeah, detective Yeah. And she's like she's like I had a moment of weakness. I'm human, Like yeah, she's so funny. Rollins is like, uh, dude, the Department of Corrections is going to stonewall the shit out of us, Like you think cops put up a front, like the doc is even worse or whatever, which we've seen other episodes where there's office where there's correctional officers involved and they all do cover for each other, like the Ray Romano's brother Brad Garrett episode. Yeah. So liv tells the skeptical Rollins and Tomorrow that if genders were reversed, they would be handling this totally differently. We all saw his affect, we see how he's acting. Why don't we handle this like it's a woman making a complaint against a male po And so in the next scene, they're bringing in Donna Marshall's who is a guy named Ralph Kessel and he's like, Lol, somebody's making a claim. These x cons are all scumbags. I'm sure it's bullshit, but just in case, I'll play along. Who is it? And then they say Donna and he goes, uh, you know she's a woman, right, and it's like, yeah, no one thinks somebody named Donna is a man. But also like it's just wild, like the that women cannot commit any kind of sex crime to all of these people in this episode, and Benson's like, ah, yes, we are aware, and so he immediately assumes it's a lesbian victim and then they're like, no, it's a male victim, and he immediately laughs. And Benson explains that a gun was pulled and that Tommy felt he had to comply, and then he goes, comply sounds like my wife, and Amaro goes, ha, mine too, and it's like Tomorrow, you and Maria have like never kissed before. I can't believe it in a million years. So like, I don't know what you're doing. And I think that's like one of my issues with Tomorrow is I can never really tell if he's being a misogynistic asshole or he's like playing the game to get on the good side of these people in this episode. Whatever he's doing here doesn't really pay off. So I'm just left thinking that he thinks it's cool to act like, you know, sex with your wife is complying like so.
Speaker 2: But he isn't a loveless marriage, I think. But because we don't know why they got married, Like did they get married because someone is going to Iraq? Or did he get her like pregnant? Like what did they love each other? Like I don't know, I don't know the I don't know their origins.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's never been like at the beginning, it was great, we were crazy about each other, and then things change. I mean, like it feels like they grew apart when she was a like overseas like deployed. But you know what, I just feel like it is weird to be like comply sounds like my wife. It's like, yeah, your wife has the right to tell you notice sex any fucking time she wants, and so that's your life. And Ralph's like, give me the name of this lying sob and Live does not give it because this man is trash. And so now we are back at Tommy and Bella's place and uh oh, Italian girl knows everything, and she is mad, mad, mad. She is furious at Sonny for defending him. She's like, hey, shade it on me, and like you now you're defending him, And Corisie and Tommy are trying to explain to her that this was non consensual and it was assault, but she's like, you can't even fuck in my parents' house with them sleeping two doors down, but you can get it up with a gun to your head. That's her theory again, how'd you get a boner? And then suddenly, in the middle of all this Italian screaming back and forth, there's a knock at the door and it's done done Donna Marshall. She's doing a random home inspection and Tommy's like, what's this all about? And she's like, why don't you shut the fuck up? And then she goes into the bedroom and comes back and approximately half a second with big bags of oxy contin, and Tommy's like I never saw any of that, and then they cuffed Tommy and Creasy's like, don't say anything till you get a lawyer. He has not revealed himself at all to be a cop. And then Donna's like, yeah, Tommy, better call Saul.
Speaker 2: Like nice, and then that show was even on already, damn time.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, five fifteen. Well it may not have been Better Call Saul may not have been on, but in the show Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul is like his calling card, so it could have just been a Breaking Bad reference. So they leave. Bella's distraw like why didn't you tell them you're a cop? And Crazy's like that would not have helped in this situation. I don't know if I agree with that, but like, if he had first identified himself as a cop, I think she may have thought twice about planting the drugs. She'd been like, Hi, I'm Detective Sonny Creasy from SPU. I don't know if she would have been so ballsy to plant drugs, you know what I mean. So anyway, top of act two, we're in like some kind of jail like holding or temporar like jail. But Tommy's in his orange jumpsuit swearing to Careasy that those were not his drugs, and Tommy's like, she planted them. She must have found out I was accusing her. Did you guys tell her? And Caresee's like, of course we didn't, and Tomorrow's like, oh, we definitely did. We just talked to her boss, who she's a pair currently heavy best friends with, and Tommy's like, those two are thickest thieves, which just reminds me of Jersey Housewives. And Lisa did get me a onesie for Oscar when he was born. That says, let me tell you something about my family. We're thickest thieves, which I still have and I'm reading to give to the right baby that I know. And Caresy is like, we have to show that she had a reason to plant those drugs, and Tommy's like, of course, he thinks no one will believe him, and Carisey goes, I do, And this makes Tommy feel better that his like brother soon to be brother in law, who's never really liked him, is like, I'm on your side. I believe you now tomorrow and criese, you're updating Live. They're going to test the baggies of of oxy for DNA. Can we also get like, where's the rush on that DNA from his clothes? Find out from the lab and Live tells Careesy that Tommy's in for a fight with this rape charge and he's like, yeah, my sister's pissed at him and lives like, well he did the right thing, so like coming forward, So now out in like what do you call the area where all the cops sit, like the pen, the bullpen? I think it is called like a bullpen, bullpen. I was like the quad. Rollins is still sally skeptical and is like, well, Tommy is a dealer, and it's like that was weed and he doesn't even do that anymore. And then like he's getting his life together and it's like, but he did get into a bar fight. It's like Rollin's you're so far from perfect. You're just like refusing to admit that this guy like could be just a good guy who's being like set up. And he says, no, things were going good for Tommy and she goes, well, some people can't handle that, and they self sabotage, and I think that she's projecting a little because I think she does that like if she like when she first met Carisi, like an actual nice guy who liked her, and she was just like, Bye, I'm gonna go fuck bartenders in West Virginia, see you later. You know, I think that Rowlins doyes a little bit of self sabotage, and Carisy's like, bitch. I was there when she found the drugs and she was like a damn bloodhound. It was like less than a minute, like there's no way. And Rolin goes, well, someone is lying and walks off, and Carisy goes, well, she's big on tough love, huh, And it's like you're gonna find out soon enough. Sir and Amaro explained that Rollin's sister has played her ass a bunch and that like, you know, that's where she comes from, being skeptical about like family stuff, and he's like, well, her family isn't my family, and Amarro's like, but Tommy isn't even your family, Bella is you got to look out for her. And then just then they get a call the touch DNA on the clothes is back in and guess what Donna Saliva is present plus fluids. She just like drooled all over this mandaring sex. Okay, so even if she had sex, even if they had consensual sex, that's against the law because she's like in a position of power against him. So she wrote the law and the good and that's good news. And he's like, yeah, try telling that to Bella Caraci, She's not gonna hear it. So Carisi is chasing Bella down the street now, and she's like not having any of the shit. She's stressed. She's thinking about moving in with her parents, and Carisi goes, I cannot stress what an insane idea that is? And I really like that. He's like, you cannot move in with mom and dad, And she's like, I've dealt with this shit for ten years. Like I guess they've been together ten years with him fucking up and then the jail she waited. It's like, I think she's just been waiting a decade for this man to get his shit together and grow up. But now he's cheated. And then she brings up the other sisters and like that they don't like Tommy and CARIESI goes, uh, to be fair, our sisters are fucking nuts. He goes, Teresa won't talk to a guy who makes less than six figures, and Gina's been engaged ten times, Like it's really funny, and I really want to know who would be cast as Teresa and Gina, who well.
Speaker 2: Not cast But I obviously was like, this is so Jersey Housewives, Like she's Danielle Stob Okay, so what are their names?
Speaker 1: Teresa? And she won't talk to anybody who's under like who's poor? Like she needs a rich guy? Okay, And I feel like it's got out. We got to stay blonde, blue eyed with this, like even though there must be Northern Italian because they're very light complected for these heavily Italian people. I didn't know what would be casting. I wish you'd give me. I don't know. I know next time, I'll like send you an email and be like, oh, do you think Megan Fayie can do a Staten Island accent? Yes?
Speaker 2: Yes, bring back Megan Faith Yes with a Staaten Island accent.
Speaker 1: And she's she's Gina because I could see her getting engaged ten times. I really could. She's Gina Teresa.
Speaker 2: I mean the only person I'm thinking of is Margot Robbie, But like, I don't know if Margot Robbie is gonna be playing a Carreasi at the moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you think Amanda Seifered can do a Staten Island accent?
Speaker 2: So we're so these so we're only casting within the SVU universe.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I just literally googled and she popped up. I'm not trying to on purpose, but it would be funny if all these people just came back because Beverly D'Angel has been a character, Caresi's been a character, They've all been characters before, and then the whole Careasi family is just recast people. That would be funny. Yeah, I would totally. Yeah, let's do let's do that. Let's totally do that. I feel like there was also another episode where wasn't it.
Speaker 2: Oh Julia Garner, that's a funny one. That's fun Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: She can do it. She can do any accent as we know. Why are you so poor? Oh that's perfect. She can just do her Annadelviy character with a Saten Island accent. She's like, oh you seem very poor. We cannot date, Okay, so you can anyway, can do it. Honestly, I'll dye my hair blonde and play a Carisi. I would love it. She okay. So he's basically like, do not listen to our crazy bitch sisters please, and she's like, oh, you suddenly love Tommy and he's like, look, the guy's fucked up a lot, but this isn't one of those times. And she admits to Sonny that she's thinking of terminating the pregnancy, like this is all too much for her. She's only ten weeks so long, and Carisie's little Catholic heart is breaking at that idea. But Bella is like, I'm too stressed. I can't raise a kid on my own. She goes back into her apartment and Carisy looks like he's gonna cry, like he was really looking forward to meeting this niece or nephew. And so now top of AC three, we've got Livin Rollins an interrogation with Donna Marshall and her lawyer, whose name is Mickey DiAngelo no relation because he's a fictional character, but he's been this a lawyer in six episodes as this character. The actor's name is Joseph Lyle Taylor and he's been Mickey D'Angelo in six episodes, a bunch of like season sixteen, seventeen eighteen, I feel like nineteen maybe, And they're like, okay, so you admit you had sex with a Paroli and Mickey d is like initiated by Tommy and Susan Sharon. She's truly like such a Sex and the City character here. She's like, I'm human. I had a moment of weakness. Like she's kind of like grinning about like them having like hot office sex or whatever. And she describes the whole scene where like Tommy gave her a massage and he started kissing me and she said it was a bad idea, but he was aggressive. And then they're like did you say no? And she goes, when I say no, people listen, And he didn't rape me, and I certainly didn't rape him. She admits to performing oral sex on him and them having intercourse and she's like, I've been divorced for five years and it just felt good to be wanted. And they're like, okay, so, like, did you know he put in three requests to change po And she's like, well that's not surprising. I'm the toughest one, and he's like, but if you're so tough, why would he try to hit on you? That feels like a far shot to hit and she goes, paroles are manipulative. They think they have the upper hand. And then Rollins is like, isn't it your job to not let them have the upper hand. It's like okay, Rollins. And then they're like do you have a gun? Like where was your gun during this? And she's like, yeah, I carry and then she starts laughing like you think I held him at gunpoint? L ol. She goes, he was ready, willing and able, and again the boner is proof. Everybody cannot stop talking about this man's boner. They get up to leave and Donna is like, this guy is a criminal, a liar, and a recidivist. He came on to me, and now he's backtracking because his pregnant girlfriend found out he cheated on her. And then as she walks out, she gives Olivia this wild, like atta boy slap on the arm. It's really funny actually, and I wonder if she improvised it, because Olivia is like, the fuck, Like, I'm a sergeant and you just like smacked me on here, like in your bowling league with you and the lawyer is it's like, if you believe a scumbag over a fellow officer, you should be ashamed, and like, I don't know if it's real or not, and I don't want to I don't want to mean anyone who's in corrections because that sounds like a very hard job. In this show, it doesn't feel like cops treat pos and like corrections officer people as like the same as them. It feels like they feel like they're lower on the totem pole in from what I garnered from ASVU. I don't know if that's in real life. And so they they leave and Amorro's got like he's like, I've got the results of the drug test. Baggies. There's no DNA from Tommy on the packaging, so there's no proof he touched any of it. And they found touch DNA belonging to a guy named Jordan Delfi who's a parole drug dealer. And guess who his PO is. Ding Dong is Donna Marshall. So now we're at Jordan's apartment and he's got his girlfriend and his baby there. Amaro and Rollins start tossing the place immediately, Rollin's just like, who's just like Donna? Rollins finds that oxy with the quickness, and they go, Donna's been your PO for three years and you passed all your drug tests. And he's like, Donna made me give her that oxy. And they're like, in exchange for what clean drug tests? And he goes, yeah, she knows how to add just the right amount of vinegar to urine so that I can pass these tests. Is that real? I wonder if that's real. I should have googled it, but I didn't. And he says he provides other services to Donna as well to assure the clean drug tests. And they're like, what do you mean And he's like, she's a divorce lonely lady. Use your imagination. When she says it's time for a piss test, the pants come down, and he says he once tried to say no, but she pulled the gun out. So here we go matching stories. So now live in crist you're talking to Barba, and Barba's like, okay, so both victims will testify an open court and they're like, yep, they will. Barba says, I've never taken a case like this to court, and I don't know a da who has. And I'm like, we in season three they take female rapists to court on this show, so I know that they have before, like the Casey Novack episode where she's not Casey Novack. Forget what that one's called, but you know what I mean, where the women like rape a stripper and I just.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I don't think they're found guilty for that crime. They're found guilty for murdering their murdering the girl. Yeah yeah, but he's yeah.
Speaker 1: So he's saying, like, no one's ever taken a female rapist to court in New York, Like this isn't gonna This is gonna be really tough, and he's like, the hard part is convincing a jury that a woman can rape a man at all. So again, this feels like something they would have done in like the early twenty's, but twenty fifteen, I feel like we were past this anyway. At Liv's apartment, she's giving Bella all these hand me downs from Noah and a cup of herbal tea, and she's like trying to assure Bella. She's like, I've been doing this for a really long time. I know that these assaults can be really hard on victims but also on their families. Everything Tommy has told us has checked out. He is not making this up. He did not want this to happen. And again she's like, but the boner, how could the boner happen with a gun to his head? And Benson goes it's a mechanical response, like a sneeze, or like crying when you cut onions. Like when you cut onions, tears come out of your eyes, but you're not sad, which is a good metaphor for this. I feel like and she's trust me, bitch, I've been doing this for like a million years. I've seen it. All this happens, and then little Noah squeaks awake, and I do like this Noah. He's very cute. He's got big cheeks and like long hair. He's cute. And he meets Bella and she's like immediately all smiles. So it's like, I guess she's keeping the baby. But in court, Coreesi is on the stand and Barbara is wrapping up with him, and now Donna' Laura lawyer Mickey Dee stands up and he's like didn't Tommy tell you about his alleged assault after you picked him up from jail? And he knows that you're an SVU detective, so maybe he was just trying to get your sympathy after he cheated on your sister. And he points out how Tommy didn't even think he was raped and only use that term after talking to Live and the SVU people, and they pan to Donna, and she looks smug as hell, and her hair looks very good for like a woman who's a parole officer. I feel like, I mean, I show me a picture of a parole officer who has shiny, silky hair like this. It looks really beautiful. And now Tommy is on the stand describing how Donna made him lian his and when he hesitated, she pulled the gun, so he did whatever she said. She handcuffed his wrist to her desk. Then she sked his d as we used to say at summer camp. Now she gave him oral you know sex, and then well but it wouldn't be called oral sex, right, She forcibly, you know, copulated him, and then she got on top of him for forcible penetration, and he was angry, and terrified. He was worried about Bella and that she was going to shoot him or send him back to jail. He's like, you got to understand, these pos have all the power over us. Like and so now her asshole lawyer is on the stand and is like, wow, the boner even with a gun to your head and the cuffs, and it's like, you guys should have had a doctor come in first and be like, yes, you can get a boner under duress, Like that would have been a good like baseline to start with, just so they can stop bringing this up to like him a million times. So then this lawyer is like, so, what's more likely that this decorated officer raped you and went to your house and planted drugs or that you got arrested and this decorated officer went to check on you and found the drugs and then you cried rapes. And it's like, but that's not the order that things happened. The rape cry was before the drugs, and there's many cops that can attest to that. So I hate this man. Barbara keeps objecting and having things stricken and like this he's one of these lawyers that doesn't care when it's like objection moved to strike, okay, stricken from the record, he doesn't care. He just moves on. I think he knows the jury is still hearing his point. And by the way, the judge in this episode is Judge Karen Blake. She's been in nineteen episodes of SVU. The actress's name is Amy Brabson and she is married to Andre Brower, whoa power couple. Yeah, damn, they're married. They got three kids, she is, and he's an SVU alum and you know, a Brooklyn nine favorite, and yeah, she's been in tons of episodes of s for You. Anyway, she grants a recess. Tommy goes and apologizes to Barbara and he's like, sorry, he was twisting all my words and he's like, Barbara goes, you did fine, but in a way that it's like you did not do fine. And he's like he's like, the attorney wants to know how the drugs got in there. Well, Jordan Dolphy's about to tell them, and so Barbara I just called him Barbara. So Barbarbara goes outside looking for Jordan and they can't find him, and there's this like courthouse officer who's like, oh, that's like squirrely little guy. He was Jones and for a smoke, so I told him to go outside. They all run outside. Jordan is gone. They try to scold this officer like how could you let him walk out of here? And he's like, uh, not my job, and they're like he's a material witness and he goes, now he's immaterial, So I guess if he walks back in here, I'll find him. But until then, fuck off, Like this officer gives like less the zero fucks about helping these use few detectives. And Barbara at the top of act four is begging the judge for a continuance. They're like, we've done an exhaustive search all night for Jordan and we can't find him. And she's like, well, but that other guy, Mickey Die goes she's got my client's got a write to a speedy trial. And the judge is like, you're right, and she denies the continue and then she goes, so are you gonna call any more witnesses? And she's and Barbara goes, Dolphie was our last witness, So it looks like the prosecution rests. So then the Nikky DiAngelo goes, well, then we'll call our first witness, Jordan Dolphie, and Barba goes, excuse me in a way that I would that is so vitriolic that I would like if I was on the receiving end of this excuse me from Barbara, I would truly like piss my pants and like curl into a ball. Like he is livid, and this like jackass lawyer is like, yeah, Jordan Dolphie came to us in the dead of the night and says his confession was coerced by the police, and Barbara is fiuaeus. So now Jordan is on the stand saying, oh, yeah, the cops said that if I made a deal to testify against Donna, they would, you know, like take away a drug charge for me or whatever. And so like basically, this whole case against her is trumped up, and she's been so good to me and I can't have her go to down for something I did. I'm the one that sold Tommy all that oxy. She had nothing to do with it. And then it's Barba's turn to go up there, and he looks like he's about to dig into a juicy steak like a Wagoo beef steak. Like he's like, oh, hi, JORDI, Wow, you really just quoted Sandoval from vander Pump. I did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what he talked about. Katie So oh a Wagoo beef steak. I mean it is cool that she's the one that's suspicious of him and kind of breaking this. But yeah, he's like, yeah, she's so vengeful, she's taught. She's sinking into this like a like a Wagoo beef steak.
Speaker 1: She's sala. That must be in the back of my mind. I did just watch that episode a few days ago.
Speaker 2: Which I don't even know if I've ever had. I gotta start eating this wagoo steak.
Speaker 1: Yes, I can tell you a good place to go too, because I mean, I don't eat it, but I went to a place with Jared once where they had it. Barbara goes to this man, what's up, Jeordie Georde. He goes, you haven't failed a drug test in three years? And he goes, right, because I'm clean, and it's like sure, Jan and he goes, but the detectives found oxy at your house and he goes, it's just for sale. I don't use and he goes, but you do use heroin and he goes no, And then Barba's like, can you roll those little sleeves up please for me? And you know, he's like, you can't ask me to do that, and the judge is like, actually, he can get those sleeves up, and he rolls them up, and those babies are riddled with track marks. And he's like, so are those fresh needle marks? And he admits that they are. And he's like, so, how do you pass three years of urine tests when you're clearly using hard drugs? And the asshole lawyer is like, can we get a recess? And Barbara goes, now, he's my witness, and this is like peak Barbara. Like Barba's like, you do not fuck with me the way you just tried to, sir, and I am coming for you. Didn't you tell SVU that Donna doctored your urine tests with vinegar and that you had sex with Donna in exchange for those clean tests? And then Jordan breaks down and starts yelling in to the galley, being like you said you were going to fix this, and he's not even talking to Donna. He's talking to her boss, Ralph Kessel, the guy we met at the beginning, and so Barbara goes, so did he convince you to testify for the defense? And the guy, poor Jordan, I mean, he goes, these people own your ass. You want to stay out of prison, you do anything they say, So it's not like he had much of a choice in like coming up with this story, I feel like. And the lawyer again goes, I need a recess your honor, and Barba goes, I'm sure you do, and then he walks by. The lawyer leans in and goes, never trust a junkie, and the lawyer goes. The lawyer makes a look like he's right, and he looks very defeated, and it's hilarious. I like watching this guy get his just desserts. In the next scene, Barbara and Liver are in a room meeting with Donna and her lawyer and she's willing to plead guilty to evidence tampering and lose her job and they're like, she raped a man at gunpoint, and he's like, there's no proof of that. No jury is going to convict a female rapist like they basically never have, and she doesn't want to be humiliated by talking about her sex life life up there. It lives like or going to jail as a parole officer, which is very likely right now. And so then the guy goes, okay, evidence tampering, one year probation, and they're like, what about the rape And they're like, okay, we'll add sexual misconduct, and Barbara wants five years probation and she goes on the registry and she goes, that doesn't work for me, and Live goes, you better rethink that, bitch, because if you go to jail for five years as a PO, it's going to be a really brutal for you. And Donna looks scared shitless, and so she kind of like wordlessly agrees, like there's no way I can go to jail, so let's not gamble with the jury. So then Donna gets one last monologue to Olivia. She goes, you don't get what it's like. You cops lock these animals up and you never have to deal with them again. I'm supposed to rehabilitate them. I give up my life and my marriage for this job. And then tom By Goldberg, Yes, it's very what be Goldberg's final thing? She goes, and then Tommy Sullivan walks in all pumped about his pregnant girlfriend and his wonderful new life, like obviously, that's like what broke her about the whole situation was that he was like going to get out of the system and be happy. And meanwhile, it's like, this is a guy who sold weed while delivering pizza. He's not a murderer. She's like you, these animals, they never change. It's like he was a weed delivery guy. Like this is crazy what you're how you're trying to I'm sure you have other clients that are horrible.
Speaker 2: No, but parole officers are like the people that love law enforcement. It's like lawn or rules are rules, like they don't they don't care, right, they don't see the difference. Like to them, the law is the law, and that's that these are not These are people that would be, you know, working at Auschwitz because the rules are the rules, Like they don't see, they don't That's what's weird. That's why I don't believe that someone that majored in sociology and social work would be a parole officer.
Speaker 1: That's why it's.
Speaker 2: Criminal justice people, because if you learn about like wait, so if you're like poor and you don't have a parent in the home, and then your options are limited and your school sucks, and then maybe you will be more open to crime. Yeah, oh fuck. But criminal justice people are like, well, you back a law, law, and that's what it is. And we got to teach these fuckers a lesson and so it doesn't matter where you're from, morals or morals. And that's what Jesus Christ said, Yeah, and so that's why I'm so into my series.
Speaker 1: Christ said. When Jesus Christ wrote the penal codes for New York's Stay, he clearly said, well, here's the thing. She goes on in this like monologue to live and she goes I tried to help him. I tried to help all of them, and they take your hand and they drag you down to their level. They don't want to change, they will never change, And it's like, are they is the show trying to make us think that like criminals like ruined this woman's life and made her delusional, Like because what is she talking about? She committed a crime like she knows she did, like we saw it almost happen on the show. So it's weird that she's like somehow Tommy Sullivan dragged you down to his level. Like, I don't understand what the show is trying to say with this final monologue about this woman. Yes, it's a hard job. It's like with Whoopie Goldberg's monologue, It's like, this is a fucking hard job. Kids fall through the cracks and tragedies like this happened because this system is fucked up. What is she saying though the system is fucked up. I get all these animals, So if I want to rape a guy who delivered weed and pizza, sometime, I'm allowed to do that. Like, I don't really get what she's saying, or like what the show is trying to say here about her worldview because she's just blaming it on criminals. But I guess it's about the dehumanization of people that have been in jail or incarcerated at all, like X convex, Like she's just like, these are animals and they're all the same, and it's one size fits all. They're all degenerates, they'll all try to screw you over, so what does it matter what we do to them? Basically, and Barba's like, get this hot mess out of here, and it's like, yeah, she's sick. So they leave and Careesy is giving Bella the update back at the apartment. No jail for Donna, but she is losing her job. She's going on the sex registry and they're gonna look at her boss Kressel as well see if he's been doing more cover ups. And they're dropping the drug charge against Tommy, so he'll get out soon. So we're basically back where we started at the beginning. Tommy and Bella in the apartment. What's happening with this baby? So Caresi tells her sister it took a real man for him to get up in court and tell the truth. And he did what he did for you and the baby. And suddenly there's a knock at the door and it's Tommy and it's like, doesn't he live there? I don't know why he's knocking, but they hug like they there's a moment where you can't tell her, babe, he changed the locks. Yeah, oh that's true. Maybe she did. There's a moment where you're like, yeah, maybe she changed the locks. Maybe she's changed her mind about this guy altogether, Like she finally broke after ten years of this shit, and then she brings him in for a hug and it feels like, you know, they're gonna be okay, and he goes, it's all gonna be okay. We're gonna be okay. And so at first I wrote, you kind of can't tell if she kept the baby or not because she had kind of a guilty look when like he opened the door, like we were like, oh did she get did she do an abortion? And I was like, ooh, it's a Catholic KARESI mystery, But she did keep it because I remembered that. In Patrimonial Burden, Coreesi mentions having a new niece, and then in the episode What Can Happen in the Dark, he mentions that Bella and Tommy got married, so you know, baby or no baby, that's dick Wolf. But it looks like Bella and Tommy finally got hitched and have their little family. And so hopefully he's turning over a new leaf.
Speaker 2: And that's sad it is And weed is now legal in New York City, so hopefully he invested well and is now just working at a weed shop.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I hope his record gets expunged because that's like three years out of his life, and he's got a record when he tries to get jobs and shit for weed. Alana was posting on four twenty about how we got to like support these groups, about getting governors to give clemency to all these weed defenses, and she's right. It's like so fucked up people are running in jail for weed when like I can walk out of my door and like get smacked with a weed shop in three seconds, you know. Fucked up? Yeah, Like, okay, the laws changed, let everybody out like it's wild, but that I am. They want the free labor. Yeah, oh yeah, we charges going away is gonna like empty out a lot of the jails and a lot of not empty them out completely, of course, but like thin them out. But I'm looking forward to hearing about the crimes that you've got lined up for us. So everybody just listen to these messages from our sponsors and we'll be right back. All right.
Speaker 2: So today's crimes are super quick, short, but we got a couple and they're right around the time of this episode, so it's the ease. The first case is the Samantha Werner case, and it's some Kentucky action.
Speaker 1: If I've ever seen any Kentucky crimes.
Speaker 2: So it's a correctional officer named Samantha Werner, and she was this is what I mean. It's like they won't say she was engaging in a sexual relationship with a man who was being supervised by the Department of Corrections. And that's how the Kentucky News, a CBS affiliate, wrote it out. So I don't know they met while he was incarcerated, and she was a corrections officer at the Kentucky State Reformatory KSR, which sounds like a radio station. And what's so funny, so I don't know how to say, is Andrew Dysmuke's d mux Us. Yeah, he was one of the comics that was with us at Moon Tower, and he did a joke that he loves watching biopics and his favorite part is at the end of the movie where they show the photo of the real person and he's like, they're not as hot, and that I and that he doesn't care about the movie anymore because it's like I only cared because these people were hot, and that's how I feel about this. This woman should be so lucky that Susan Sharon was playing her, and that's how I feel. But they do have a similar blonde vibes. But it is I just kept thinking about his joke because it was so recent from when I heard it to when I did this research, and I did keep laughing at every article I found. But so this guy, her victim, was paroled on January second, twenty fourteen, and they engaged in so they were not doing anything while he was incarcerated. They started engaging in a relationship January fifth to the eleventh, while he was serving time in a halfway home. And then Samantha was married at the time of the crime. And I'll explain why it was a crime because you're like, wait, but he's out, what's going on? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And she's not a PO she's a correction she's a CEO. When your right.
Speaker 2: Fifteenth, the man notified iab okay tuk what's up her? So Internal Affairs department, he let them know because Werner threatened him, so he wanted to end their fuck relationship, but she wouldn't let him, and she said that if he ended it, she would send him back to prison if he didn't continue the relationship.
Speaker 1: So that's what happened.
Speaker 2: So there was evidence, there was texts from her and nude photos, and then Werner eventually gave a taped confession that she did engage in intercourse and oral with the man while he was a parole under the Department of Corrections.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, so she's still in the same department and that's the crime for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, and the threat of like yes, yeah. So she was charged with third degree rape, third degree sodomy, and first degree official misconduct and she lost her job. The Department of Corrections spokesperson in Kentucky, Lisa Lamb, said the doc does not tolerate this type of activity from her staff in any form, and it is a Class D felony, and she said this to Waive three News. I could not find any court activity or convictions, but I did find her on the sex Registry list, so that does mean she was convicted of something, but I could not. Like all the articles I found were like when this happened, So February of twenty fourteen, it was like charged, charged, charged, and that's why our news sucks. It was like ooh, salacious, silatious, and then there was no updates on convictions. But since she's on the registry, we can assume she was convicted of something. She has tons of aliases. But I found her and she's in Milton, Kentucky. She's forty eight years old, and yeah, Samantha and Clay Combe as of now, and she's living it out in Kentucky.
Speaker 1: So she either got convicted or she made a deal like the way Susan shaedafted.
Speaker 2: You're right, you're right. So she might have not and just gotten on the registry. But she's living living large in Kentucky and you know, got fired and yeah, they were fucking from like the fifth to the eleventh. He was like, I've had enough and she was like, nah, a bitch, you're going back to prison. And he said, no, you're gonna You're about to lose your job.
Speaker 1: You were about to lose your job and she did and so sorry Sammy.
Speaker 2: And then this next case was on the wiki. We will cover it. I it happened, you know, in twenty thirteen, so it could have influenced it because it was a man with gunpoint. Can someone get hard or not? But this doesn't relate in terms of like corrections or anything like that. So this is what happened, And this happened in Chicago in my county, Cook County.
Speaker 1: What's up? So we have to cover it.
Speaker 2: Obviously we have to cover So this case is the Sierra Ross case. So Siarah Ross at the time was a twenty five year old mother and she was driving around and she picked up a stranger who was a thirty three year old man, and she basically was like, you know, middle of the night, four or five in the morning, and she was like, offered a man a ride, and he got into her car and then at gunpoint, she forced him to have sex with another woman in.
Speaker 1: The back of the vehicle. Oh not even her, a separate nomen Yes, her friend.
Speaker 2: And again the articles all say forced him to have sex with another woman. Wow, it was not ray, it was not it was forced to have sex. Like all the language is different, so crazy. Yeah, So the Assistant States Attorney, Amanda Pillsbury, which obviously reminds me of the dough Boy, what's up? And she told a Chicago judge that the incident began around, like I said, five in the morning on July twenty sixth. So I think the taste of Chicago is raging. The city is alive, it's hot, everyone's out and about so she offered the victim a ride, and after he got in the car, she pulled a gun on him and demanded he get into the backseat of the car and have sex with her friend. And it's like okay, like was her, what's going on? Like I want more details? Like it really bothers me that I couldn't get more information on anything. He begged for them to stop, but she forced him to put his hands on her breasts and butt, and then the man eventually escaped when he saw a CAB's headlights nearby, and he escaped wearing only a T shirt.
Speaker 1: So Winnie the Poose style just ran.
Speaker 2: He flagged a cab and the cab driver was super helpful and allowed the victim to use his cell phone to take a picture of the license plate and then email himself the picture of the attacker's license plate.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Also, according to the Chicago Sun Times, he picked Ross out of a lineup, so he had two bits of evidence. So it was the license plate Ross out of a lineup, and then there was also DNA evidence and then Ross, a mother of two, worked at a local Denny's restaurant and had a previous conviction for a prostitution. She was booked by Cook County Sheriff's Department on September fifth and charged with aggravated criminal sexual assault and armed robbery for stealing two hundred dollars and his credit cards and an iPhone.
Speaker 1: The other woman was not charged what I don't know.
Speaker 2: And then Sierra was held because she was not able to pay her seventy five thousand dollars bail or bond or whatever. And then same thing. I was not able to find anything about a conviction or anything. But this person was not on any registry, so I don't know if she settled what happened.
Speaker 1: I don't know where she is. I cannot find any updates.
Speaker 2: If anyone is better and can find any information, let me know. But I was looking for court information counties, like I could not find anything additional about the case or what ended up happening.
Speaker 1: But that happened. Wow, wow wow wow. That just seems like a wild like I don't know, let's just pick up a guy and get him to do I mean, it's like, oh so crazy. Well thanks for looking into those two.
Speaker 2: Well, part of me is like maybe they were on drugs, but like they would have been charged probably for drug stuff for drug tested right.
Speaker 1: I do think the friend threw Sierra under the bus and was like she forced me to Like I didn't I the gun was on me. Also like that's why she didn't get charged. I don't know. Wow, everybody is very wild in this world. But our next guest is a good one. You guys are going to love it. Don't go anywhere. Our guest today is an actor who has done a ton of incredible projects. He's played Cal Chapman on Orange is the New Black because you know we are going to collect them all, and he has a main role on the show on Apple called Severance that people are obsessed with. He's also in the new Rachel Vice show called Dead Ringers. But you know him today as Bella Caresi's sad sack boyfriend Tommy Sullivan. Guys, please check out our chat with Michael Churnis.
Speaker 2: Hi.
Speaker 1: We're so pumped.
Speaker 2: I mean not to be too creepy, but I did see you at Baggage Claim at JFK like last month. I feel if you felt like someone was staring at you, it was me.
Speaker 3: Is that why I got asked to do this podcast?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: No, we've been trying for a while and we have a mutual as well. But when I texted care immediately, I'm like, he's here. Yeah, it was a sign now CARESI is brother in law.
Speaker 1: We had to do it. Yeah, old Tommy boy, poor guy Tommy Sullivan.
Speaker 3: That a tough go.
Speaker 1: What how did your SVU like story start? You started out on season thirteen? Do you remember auditioning? Did you like the show in advance? Like, are you one of those people, like a New York actor who'd been in that room like twelve times and then you finally got an SVU part?
Speaker 3: I yes, I had been in all the rooms like twelve this, so I've only ever done SVU. I never did Law and Order Classic. I never did Criminal Intent. I feel like I auditioned for Criminal Intent, like not even kidding, like twenty times. I remember this audition because well, actually sorry, I auditioned for the first one Educated Guests. I remember because it's the two scenes. There's an interrogation scene and then there's the scene in the mental health facility where I throw the chair and that's like some acting is required, and so in an audition that's always awkward where you just have to go for it and people are just staring at you, and I really thought I totally screwed it up and was shocked when I got offered that episode.
Speaker 1: Did you throw a chair? How did you do it in the room?
Speaker 3: That's a good question. I did not throw a chair, but I think I like picked up the chair that you know, that horrible half acting thing in an audition where I picked it up and like gestured like I threw it and I had to put it back down. But then I think I was just offered this one that we're talking about right for all violations because I was a returning friend. I was shocked to look up how close they were together. They're only three and a half years apart. Yeah, yeah, I had forgotten how close. I mean, there are two different characters and they're totally pretty close together in the Cannon.
Speaker 1: Yes, And we talk about that all the time. We debate because sometimes it bothers me if somebody is too close, because I'm like, I remember that guy from another episode, Like, yeah, he hasn't had time to clear in my mind yet before he gets into another episode.
Speaker 2: But I.
Speaker 1: And I knew you from other stuff, so I was just like, it's fine, we'll get him back in here.
Speaker 2: Can you tell us about the iced tea moment in your first episode? Being in his diamond was sparkling, sparkling.
Speaker 3: I was so intimidated. I was. I was a big fan of iced tea. I'm a fan of iced tea, but as a kid, I loved him. And uh, Coco was there. She was there, and that was wild. You probably everyone has talked about this, but the dressing room area is really small, and so everybody's just kind of their rooms are all right there, and so Coco was just like hanging out in the dressing room area. And I don't even ice mister t I don't remember whatever I used to call him, but he was great. He was lovely, and it was you know, it's always very fast. I rewatched both of them recently. I was like, god, I remember just when you're guess, it's such a weird thing to be dropped in the middle of this, you know, especially with SVU, this train that's just been rolling for years and everybody, the regulars, know what they're doing, and you're just it's your first day and it's just crazy, you know. And so he was awesome. I don't really remember much more than just being totally freaked out and probably have like standing outside of myself the whole time. And yeah, but he was great. And the chair throwing day was weird because anytime you have to do any kind of anything that could be violent, even though it's like I'm throwing it at a wall, there's just so many more people who are involved on set, like stunt coordinators, And I just got really in my head about throwing this chair, and I remember just like, how do I do that?
Speaker 2: This?
Speaker 3: How would I? So, yeah, it's just always very awkward to be dropped in the middle of a show like this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so were you nervously you wouldn't throw the chair hard enough or.
Speaker 3: Like I'd throw it hard enough, or like throw it on the mark, or that it would just look wimpy, or that I would it would bounce off the wall and like hit somebody, like kill Danny Pino or something. It's such a weird thing too. I'm sure everybody talks about this, but you know, everyone on these episodes are just great New York actors who I've known for years. I've known Kelly Gettish for years, and Peter Scanavino and all these people I've just we've all been in play readings and audition rooms together for decades now, and so it's so fun to watch Law and Order and just see this great parade of New York actors every episode.
Speaker 1: So what happened when you, like, originally read the script for this, were you surprised? Because this is like a literal flipping of the script. The show does not have grown male victims that often on the show, and they kind of twisted things around here. So when you first read it and.
Speaker 2: The drug dealer reveal, I feel is like an exciting twist as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was honored to be a victim, I know. I remember reading it and thinking, Wow, this is a real this is really meaty, this is a this is a challenge because I think previously some of the other parts I'd auditioned for on SVU were like smaller, you know, this, this really there were a lot of scenes and it was it was sort of this unexpected twist. I feel like now even now it feels a little dated, but at the time it was like shocking. I remember the commercials for it before the episode air were like a male rape victim, dun dun, du, Like it was just something you've never heard of Yeah, which, of course it of course that happens as they talk about in the episode. But yeah, I felt like, oh, this is exciting, this is different. This could I don't want to say like groundbreaking, but it could be interesting and something that people don't usually see or think about.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it felt like a good challenge.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, well I think like what we're done. Sorry, I'm like all over the place. I feel like we both are huge orangs. So we love it. I love your character from that show with cal and there seemed to be like a little bit of him in this. What's the timeline? Like, was this while you were doing Orange or was this like after?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was doing it. I mean, you know, Orange is seven seasons, so so much of what I've done has been also while Orange was happening. There's a moment in one of the earlier seasons of Orange where I was also on a World War two drama called Manhattan about the Manhattan Project in the creation of bum and so I had like a short nineteen forties mustache all of a sudden, and I had they had to write something into Orange where Piper says like, are you in like a World War two cosplay group or something. And so I feel like I was always showing up with different like hair lengths and stuff on Orange because I was just a recurring character. Yeah, yeah, a couple. So yeah this this I think aired in twenty fifteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, violations.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so yeah, that was right in that we shot the first episode of Orange. We shot in twenty twelve. I think it was like the fall of twenty twelve. And you know, it was so weird back then. We didn't know what it was going to be because a Netflix show like House of Cards hadn't come out yet. There was no blueprint for like what a streaming show was. You had HBO shows, but like what's the Netflix show. So we shot that whole first season not really knowing like what the impact of it was going to be, and.
Speaker 2: It changed everything, really did in a lot of ways. Yeah, and you're in a hit show now, Yeah, several.
Speaker 3: A hit New York show.
Speaker 1: It feels great that shoots in New York too.
Speaker 3: That's a New York show. Wow, wow wow, yeah, severances. I think it's amazing. And you know, I always think it's kind of hokey when actors say this, but it's I think it's a work of art, Like just visual what the design team and our cinematographer and our producer Ben Stiller did visually alone isn't extraordinary, And then the writing is incredible, the detail that's involved, and then the performances. It's really I think a special program do you play?
Speaker 1: Like what kind of character do you play in that? Because I feel like I see like a through line kind of between Cal and this character on SVU, But like, are you somebody totally different on severance or like not at all, kind of like a lovable like what I didn't know?
Speaker 3: I think it must it must just be me because people on Twitter, not always in a nice way, have been saying like he plays the same part and everything. I mean, this guy is like a little more grown up maybe than Cal, but he's a sort of a pretentious New age like self help writer, but he's definitely like hippie dippy. And his name is doctor Rick and Hale. And I'm married to the main character's sister. My wife is Adam Scott's character's sister, so I'm Mark the main character's brother in law. And I don't want to spoil anything, but I've written a book called The You You are that is a self help book that then has some impact on the.
Speaker 1: Ruh Okay, yeah, no spoilers. I really want to watch the whole thing I'm.
Speaker 2: Talking about, kind of like the lovable silliness of your characters. And I really love the scene where they're visiting you and your your prison jumpsuit and they let you know that they like told a supervisor and You're.
Speaker 1: Like, what the why would you do that?
Speaker 2: And I knew it was all very serious, but I did find myself like laughing during that scene.
Speaker 3: No, it's ridiculous. I watched it too, and I was laughing, what is going on? Because I'm just in this orange trump or I look like a giant orange toddler, and uh, we're happiness. It feels like like the blocking is like we're trying to be in like reservoir dogs or something too. It's media Peters Cannabino and Danny Pino and we're just like standing around, moving around like we're talking. I think the directors should like just be quiet. I was trying to do like a big acting thing at one point, and they were like, yeah, but someone could be listening. You never know if a guard's gonna walk by. Or whatever. No, it's hushed. I love how seriously everyone takes being on SVU, because like when you're watching it at home, I'm like, this is ridiculous.
Speaker 1: No, I know, And like, especially if you go into old seasons, we always talk about how like there's really campy, kind of crazy episodes in like the earlier seasons. It's become like more serious now where they don't really do that anymore. But back in the day it would be like, wait, there's a there's a gibbon in a basketball what's happening? Like, you know, there would be like all these wacky episodes. But also I think it's funny when like you're obviously a skilled dramatic actor, but you've done comedy as well, and you can just tell when comedy people like they can't not make so funny sometimes, Like like even Martin Short was like a total creep in an episode of SBU, but he had like one or two lines where you're like, you can still tell he's a comedy guy. You know this horrible like killing There.
Speaker 3: Are plenty of funny creeps.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we love to be funny while they're being creepy. Yeah, No, I think you have to I mean you have to say yes to the moment, right, I mean that's sort of easy. But like if you're standing around in a orange jumper talking to detectives with New York accents, it's just you kind of are like it just you have to acknowledge the ridiculousness of it.
Speaker 1: Sometimes Oh yeah made New York accents. Those two.
Speaker 3: I mean yeah, there's some big accents happening too. Yeah. I was like, wow, Wow, everyone's going for it.
Speaker 1: Cheated on my pregnant sister, Like yeah, bella, bella creasy. I do want to know.
Speaker 2: You know, you've been working out there, You're booked, you're a blessed and worked with cool people. Are so are there moments that you've been really starstruck or you've been like holy shit, Like what are kind of your you know, things you'd like to share highlight wise where you were like, oh my god, so many.
Speaker 3: One. Very recently, I was at the Critics' Choice Awards on the Red Carpet, and which is just a cavalcade of starstruck. You know, all these very famous people. But I was doing some on camera interview and they're all just one right after the other in a line you know, and I'm talking to some person and next to me, all of a sudden appears Paul Riser. And as a teenager, I was obsessed with Matt About You. I'm not even kidding obsessed. I grew up in Cleveland, Ohio, and I really wanted to move to New York and I really wanted to be an actor, and I think for me it it felt like a real honest representation of living in New York City. So my junior of high school, there was always like the Fall Play and the Spring Musical. But in the winter there was this open slot called the Underground Theater at my high school where juniors and seniors could direct like a little skit or whatever. They would give upperclassmen like a half an hour to direct something at my high school. And so I decided I would direct an episode of Mad About You for the stage oh and cast myself as Paul Buckman, which is the character Paul Riser played. And I was going to choose a crossover Seinfeld Mad About You episode where Kramer appears and we find out that Kramer's apartment on Seinfeld actually used to belong to Paul Reiser, and he's actually subletting it to Kramer. So I now have the task of casting a Kramer from Rocky River High School in the suburbs of Cleveland, and also in nineteen ninety three or whenever, this was how you adapted Mad About You for the stage, or how I did to tape it with the DCR and then press play and then they'd say a line, you press pause and write it down on a piece of paper. And so I hand wrote the entire episode and then took it to my dad's office on the weekend to use the xerox machine and xerox copies of this and held auditions at my high school. And so like I was this Mad About You super fan who like did a Rushmore style stage production, And all of a sudden, years later, I'm standing a sub Pauliser on the carpet and I freaked out, like I couldn't believe I was staying Wow, my hero. I got to work with Tom Hanks on Captain Phillips for like eight weeks, which was extraordinary, and we one of the first nights we both slept overnight on the ship like we were normally staying at a hotel, but we had a real, actual merchant Marine container ship that we shot the movie on, and we asked if we could like spend the night at sea with a real crew of actual merchantcymen who were operating the ship. And so that was crazy. Meeting him and spending that much time with him was definitely a starstruck moment.
Speaker 1: The idea was it to sleep on the ship.
Speaker 3: It was Tom's and I just totally you know, weaseled my way in. I was like, I want to do that too. But another quick Cleveland story. When I was a kid, my best friend's mom worked at the local regional theater, the Great Legs Theater Festival, and that's actually where Hanks got his very first professional acting job, like where he got his equity card during Shakespeare and he comes back a lot to like give back and he did this one night fundraiser where he did a one man performance or whatever, and my best friend's mom was like, do you guys want to come see the show for free and then you can work the after party like be bus boys or whatever. I was like, oh my god, yes, I have to do that. And our first task of the night after the show was to stand at this Cleveland restaurant in the parking lot. It was a snowy, cold, bitter cold Cleveland night, and we had to stand in the parking space right in front of the restaurant, right in front of the door for mister Hanks's car. And we're out there freezing all night waiting for him to show up. And his car finally pulls up and he jumps out of the car and he's really skinny because he'd been doing Philadelphia at the time. Oh, and he's got this weird little beanie cap on and he sees us and he goes, how's it going, cats, And like my little teenage brain was blown. And all night I just stood near his table like weirdly, trying to refill his water every thirty seconds and not doing any of my other bus boy duties. And it was just like a pivotal memory for me as a kid. And so then fast forward years later, I'm on this like ship in Malta where we made Captain Phillips, spending the night with him and we're just shooting the ship and he's like, where are you from. I'm from Cleveland. He's like, oh, I know Cleveland. I was like, I know. We met, and I told him that whole story, and his only response to the entire story was, I never would have said.
Speaker 1: Cats, he's looking that's so cute. You're kind of witchy. You know, these moments coming back from your childhood you manifested at all.
Speaker 2: So what was the first thing that made because you're Juilliard, you're you know, an actor. What was Did you grow up in an artsy home? Was it mad about you? What was it that like made.
Speaker 1: You do it?
Speaker 3: No, not a particularly artsy home at all. But I had very supportive parents. My mom especially was just that type of mom. It would drive me to play practice, and you know, I was like a dorky kid. Surprise, surprise, an actor who was a dorky kid. I was like a chubby kid, and sports weren't my thing, and I didn't really have like a real friend group, and I just stumbled upon the eighth grade play. Really like, I had a great English teacher who would always make us get up and read from Dickens or whatever thing we were reading, and he said, like, you have a great speaking voice, you should audition for the school play. And in this eighth grade they were doing a production of the Hobbit, and I auditioned and was cast as Gandalf the Wizard and just fell in love with it. I mean just was immediately like I was struck by lightning. Like I was like, this is what I want to do in every element, Like there were other kids who seemed like me, who were obsessed with TV and movies and pop culture, and everybody was nice and not mean, and I wasn't getting beat up, and I felt like I was good at it and like had almost like this innate in stinked for doing it. Also my dad, you know, as a young man, I was like always wanting my dad's like attention and approval, and supposedly when I first came on stage, he was like very moved by me speaking on stage, and my first line was, ah the Shire, how delicious the morning is in this part of the world. The air is stuffed with comfort. And for years then my dad would always like come down to breakfast and go, ah the Shire, Ah the Shire. That's how you sounded, Mike, ah the shy or this booming voice. And so is this this like folklore in my family of ah the Shire and almost became like shorthand for just like a major moment was like an ah the shier moment. And years later I had a woman I was dating in New York come home for the holidays with me, and I was like, we gotta pop in the tape, we gotta I gotta show you where it all started, you know, Ah the Shire, And this grainy VHS tape out comes this kid in like a Halloween wizard outfit, this a purple robe with like a fake white beard, and I'm like.
Speaker 1: Oh, the Shire, how the morning stuff with comforts?
Speaker 3: Not a boomer thirteen year old, cracking pre pubescent.
Speaker 1: I love that? So heartwarming.
Speaker 3: Ah, thanks, we went deep. Who knew? Speaking of people, so one more like uh, one person that I was like just starstruck by and who did a jerky thing and I just can't reconcile it with my memory of him is Will Smith, who, of course last year did a jerky thing at the Oscars. But like I worked with him on Men in Black three and I didn't have a lot of credits to my name at the time, and he was just the best, Like he was so kind to me, and you know, like Marishka, I feel like maybe when people are like a producer on something as well, and they are sort of the franchisers is like an added responsibility. But he would always call me Big Mic and you'd be like, we got Big Mic today, we got Big Mic on set. Let's go this is a big day MiB three. And he was just such a He was so supportive of me, and he didn't have to be. I had two little scenes, but one of my scenes is on the top of the Chrysler building and we're both gonna He's gonna jump off of it to go back in time with whatever some men in Black three made up time travel logic. So we obviously we weren't on the top of the Chrysler building, but it was on a sound stage and they'd built maybe a thirty foot high replica of the top of the maybe even forty foot. It was this huge, huge thing in this giant warehouse at Steiner Studios, and it looked just like the top of the Chrysler building, which has these four like eagle heads or griffin heads coming off of it, and that's what we had to stand on and Agent j was going to jump off of So we're up very high and we're harnessed in so we don't if we fall, we don't die, and they have all these giant fans that are going to blow on us to represent like alien ships blowing air on us or whatever. And the whole crew is down below and Barry Sondenfeld's directing, and he has like literally a megaphone because we're so far away from him. And I've rehearsed this scene so many times beforehand with Will at home. But I've all this made up, you know, alien gobblede gooks, you know, made up nonsense that I have to say. And the first take they call action and I walk out to the edge of this eagle head and I can't remember a word of it. Like I not only can I not remember my lines, I don't know who I am, Like I couldn't tell you my address or and I go into like a fugue state. I'm just like, uh a line, and Barry Sonenfeld yells through the megaphone like God Jesus Christ and like go back, go back to one reset, and I'm totally freaking out. I'm like, my career is over. I'm gonna get fired. And I say to mister Will Smith, I'm like, I'm so sorry, and he goes, what are you apologizing for? We make movies and pieces. We're gonna be here all day. We're gonna do like a million takes of this. I'm gonna forget stuff. You're gonna forget stuff. We're gonna have lunch, we're gonna come back, we're gonna be tired after lunch. We're gonna forget more lines. We make movies and pieces. Let's go, let's do it. And it was like the greatest gift ever. It was just like this moment where he just opened it up for me and it was like, oh, right, right, yeah, we make movies and pieces. This isn't a play like I didn't. And I say that now all the time to other actors. If I'm on a show and there's a guest star who forgets their lines and goes into a panic attack tailspin, I say, don't worry about it. We make movies and pieces. Yeah, and so yeah, it was just that was such a shot. I mean, we don't need to talk about it because it's been dissected in the press for the past year. But I was shocked to see that level of violent aggression from him because he was just the kindest man in the world to me, and he didn't.
Speaker 1: Have to be Yeah, that's so nice. He was my first celebrity crush.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean we always say too. You never know what people are going through. You never know what's going on in someone else's life, you know, So who knows what that day? That in evening? Who knows? We weren't inside of his head.
Speaker 2: And Kara's a new parenting thing. I learned two things can be true and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's why you say that to my kids all the time and say that all Yeah, besides besides severance, is there anything you want our listeners to check out, anything coming up that you have going on?
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm in something very cool that comes out April twenty first on Amazon Video called Dead Ringers, which is based on the Cronenberg film from the eighties that starred Jeremy Irons very famously. At the time, it was a big deal because Jeremy Irons played twins, played both characters, and he was on camera with himself, which was groundbreaking I think at the time. Now, this is a six part limited series and Rachel Weiss, the very very talented, lovely Rachel Weiss, plays the to the twins, the twin characters the Mantle Twins, Elliot and Beverly Mantle. So it's a it's a wild sort of thriller, psychological thriller, sort of sci fi about these two brilliant scientists doctors who are opening a state of the art women's birthing center in New York. Yeah. So I play an embryologist on the show who is sort of the best and maybe only friend of one of the two Mantle twins, Elliott Mantle, who Rachel Vice plays. And it's really good. I think it's really weird and fun and sexy and creepy and thought provoking. So that's April twenty first on Amazon. Her list.
Speaker 2: The moment I saw her in The Mummy as a child, it really made an impact on our whole family.
Speaker 1: I would say, the traders love her so gorgeous that I can't wait to watch this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, check it, ass, thank.
Speaker 1: You, thank you so much for taking the time attack to us. Michael was fun.
Speaker 3: It was so fun.
Speaker 1: I love him. He's so funny. Okay, wait, so I gotta tell you guys. After the interview, he messaged us and was like, I forgot to tell this story. So I said I would read it at our outro, and he goes, I feel like such an idiot. I forgot a really good story during our interview after my Tommy O. Sullivan episode of SVU air of this one. He's like, my wife and I were in the West Village at a clothing store and this woman kept staring at me and it was kind of weird. She kept sort of following us around the store and she looked very concerned. Finally she comes up to me and says, are you okay? Hey, how are you doing? She had completely mixed me up with the character and thought that I, Michael Turnis had been raped by my parole officer. So I said, people tell Kelly Giddis she shouldn't be in a casino. So you're not the first person to get mixed up with your mistaken for your SBU character.
Speaker 2: But he's a badass. I hope his baby maybe yeah.
Speaker 1: And the baby was born.
Speaker 2: The baby was born, Yo, fantastic. I'm so happy for him. His joyous, great spirit and his fun name drops stories, you know, like I love learning all the cool stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was great. So postmortem on this episode, I guess is like the depressing state of the parole like institution in our country that they just fucking own you and can make you do anything, and that sucks, and there's corruption everywhere. But I'm glad that this person got caught. Lisa. Any final thoughts, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Great acting. I'm glad everyone learned that men can get raped. Susan Sharon is a god.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Susan Sharon forever.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I have nothing else. The parole system sucks, police suck. Joe Rogan fans are out of their minds. And great episode, and I enjoyed covering it. I mean it was it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I like the I like sort of. I really want a future episode with like Bella Caresi, Sarah Fina Caresi. I want to see Rollin's interacting with the Cores women. There's there's two more sisters that seem off their rockers that we've never met. We tried to cast them. Let's fucking see it. I want to see this happen. Maybe well, I mean apparently there's like a baby coming between them, so we'll see. But let's get into our what would Sister Peg do? This is our weekly segment where we direct you to a blog post, a podcast episode, an organization, something to help you get more info about whatever we touched on in this week's episode, and this week I want to point you guys to the Anti Recidivism Coalition. Recidivism is like returning back to incarceration after you are released because a lot of people, we don't make it easy for people who have just gotten out of prison to reintegrate into society. And so the goal of this coalition is to quote empower formerly and currently incarcerated people to thrive by providing a support network, comprehensive re entry services, and opportunities to advocate for policy change. So they provide advocacy, mental health services, housing and creative groups that provide quote healing through creative expressions. So I love that, and I really feel like Orange is the New Black with tasty storyline and piper storyline of getting out and what it's like to get out and get back into the world is like made me realize that this is a big problem for people. So check out Anti Recidivism dot org for more info and you can donate and as usual, that will be saved in the highlight WWSPD on our Instagram page the day the episode comes out. Yes, thank you for that.
Speaker 2: I've really I'm thinking of Orange I liked the post people made about the writer's strike where it was like the Shield put FX on the map, mad Men put AMC on the map, House of Cards put Netflix on the map, not CEOs. CEOs left to creativity, you get quibbi. Yes, I saw that tweet. I love that, And that's how I feel. It's like a why don't they fucking see it? I don't know what they think is gonna happen. They think people are just gonna go back and watch old stuff or stuff that's just there, that they don't need new stuff, so they're willing to just not make new programming. The I listened to a whole episode of the podcast today with my friend Adam Conover, who's like one of the heads of the WGA negotiating people, and like it's like they're not coming to the table on crazy shit, Like they're like, hey, can we just agree that, like you can't use AI to replace us and the AMTMP or whatever. Like the Negotiating Studio Organization was like we can agree to have a meeting about it once a year, and it's like what, Like that's not what anyone's asking for as a yearly meeting to stop robots from taking our jobs, you know, so like it's they're really not coming to the table on all. And I heard that they are just focused on creating content for background so people could be on their phones, and they don't care about making good television. They just need something to be there while we're scrolling. It's wy yes, sorry, I feel like maybe I'm Yeah. Also, if you've made it to the bitter end, I watched Shrek three yesterday.
Speaker 1: Great, it was great. It's is that when he has the triplets? Yeah, yeah, it was cute. I've watched it. Yeah, I haven't seen that one.
Speaker 2: And next week we will be doing asunder a word that Kara will tell us what it means next week, season two, episode seven. For another she say, another fantastic episode of our podcast.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much. They're all fantastic. Guys. Give us a follow on Instagram. See what we're up to. That's Messed Up pod at instagram dot com. And then when and I'm.
Speaker 2: Doing stand up in Denver after we podcast, so stick.
Speaker 1: Around, guys, go see Lisa. She's doing stand up at Denver Comedy Works right around when we're doing our podcast. Check their schedule and see you guys next week.
Speaker 2: That's Messed Up as an Exactly Right production.
Speaker 1: If you have compliments you'd like to give us or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email it That's Messed uppod at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod and on Twitter at messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Karraklank and.
Speaker 1: At glitter Cheese. As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to our producer Kacy O'Brien, and to.
Speaker 1: Our mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Cottner, and to Henry Kaperski for our theme song and Carly Jean Andrews for our artwork. Thank you to our executive producers Georgia Hardstar, Karen Kilgarriff, Daniel Kramer, and everybody at Exactly Right Media. Dun Dun