Speaker 1: Hey, folks, it is Monday, March twenty third, and we too are trying to get caught up on what exactly is going on with Chapel Ron because we just saw her post an apology video, and in that video she uttered these words, I don't hate children, and with that, welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ Robe. The headlines have been everywhere for several days. We finally decided to get caught up and it was like holy hell going on.
Speaker 2: It just kept snowballing because we first get a post from a Brazilian soccer star alleging something happened to his eleven year old daughter. But then chapel Arne jumps in, and then the mom of the eleven year old jumps in, and now it's.
Speaker 3: A whole big thing that everyone's talking about.
Speaker 2: And everyone has an opinion about, so we'll probably all just see our opinion.
Speaker 1: Calmed down. Everybody just calmed down here. But chapel roone, I didn't know this. We'll get into it in a second. I didn't know she had a bit of a reputation for having, i don't know, not being so kind to fans, maybe not even in her behavior, but even in her words, she said, I wasn't familiar with that. Were you that she kind of had.
Speaker 3: A rep for No, I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: She Look, it is invasive being a celebrity, and I know a lot of people are like, oh, poor you making millions of dollars.
Speaker 3: You need your fans to be the celebrity you are.
Speaker 2: So it's a bit of a conundrum when you have a celebrity who obviously needs and loves the support of her fans to buy her music, listen to her music, come to her concerts. Also, at the same time wants a private life, doesn't want to be bothered when she's having breakfast or maybe even walking down the street. And so, yes, seems like she has a fairly low tolerance for intrusions.
Speaker 3: And look, everybody's different.
Speaker 4: I can respect, I can respect. That's okay.
Speaker 1: So this incident in particular, chaperone is down in Brazil at a hotel. In particular, this is sal Paolo is where they are at a hotel. She's there for a concert. Of course, she's performing. She's in what sounds like the restaurant at the hotel. And so the way the story goes, a little girl eleven years old walks past, just kind of eyes her trying to see if it was her at her table, doesn't say anything, doesn't do anything, goes back to her table with her mom. Then a security guard comes over, beerates the little girl, makes her cry, says he's gonna even possibly report her to the hospital, the hotel staff, and that she's being disrespectful, on and on and on. That's the journal idea of what happened. Now the girl happens to be the daughter of Jude Law and his now ex wife.
Speaker 2: Say your name for me, Catherine Harding, but she goes by Kat Cavelli.
Speaker 4: Yes, that is who the child is.
Speaker 1: And the mother of the child, the mother being the ex of Jude Law, is married to this soccer star from Brazil.
Speaker 4: And it's that stock soccer.
Speaker 1: Star Robes, who is essentially the stepdad who put out a long statement that got all of this started.
Speaker 4: And please, what is his name again?
Speaker 2: It's your Gigno Frello and he is a huge Brazilian football or like we like to call them, soccer players, goes by the one name. Yeah, he's such a big deal. He only goes by your Ginho. So look, this is a guy who is wildly famous in Brazil, has five million followers on Instagram, and so yes, he went onto Instagram and called out Chapel.
Speaker 1: Rowe and I think we have to actually it's it's a little long, but I think we have to read the whole thing for you to get the gist. And this is how he tells the story. And this guy at all started yes, so.
Speaker 2: He said, I went through a very upsetting situation with my family earlier today. My wife Kat Cavelli, is in South Paolo for La La Paloosa, Brazil. This morning, my daughter woke up incredibly excited. She even made a sign because because she was so happy to see an artist she really admires or used to admire, Chapel Roone. By coincidence, they're staying at the same hotel as this artist. During breakfast, the artist walked past their table. My daughter, like any child, recognized her, got excited and just wanted to make sure it was really her. And the worst part is she didn't even approach her. She simply walked past the singer's table, looked to confirm it was her, smiled, and went back to sit with her mom. She didn't say anything, didn't ask for anything. What happened next was completely disproportionate. A large security guard came over to their table while they were still having breakfast and began speaking in an extremely aggressive manner to both my wife and my daughter, saying that she shouldn't allow my daughter to disrespect or harass other people. Honestly, I don't know at what point simply walking past a table and looking to see if someone is there can be considered harassment. He even said he would file a complaint against them with the hotel while my eleven year old daughter was sitting there. In years, my daughter was extremely shaken and cried a lot. I've lived with football, public exposure and well known people for many years, and I understand very well what respect and boundaries are. What happened there was not that it was just a child admiring someone. It's sad to see this kind of treatment coming from those who should understand the importance of fans. At the end of the day, they are the ones who build all of this. I sincerely hope this serves as a moment of reflection.
Speaker 3: No one should have.
Speaker 2: To go through this, especially not a child, chapel erone. Without your fans, you would be nothing and to the fans, she does not deserve your.
Speaker 1: Affection'strong And we're going to get into all of that, but it got it started, so before we were just going to give you the direct response chaperone does eventually was it days later?
Speaker 2: I was, I believe at least two days later, because this was what Friday, it was last night, it was Sunday. The chapel erone finally decided I did to go onto Instagram and put up something on her story and so by.
Speaker 1: At this point things had really really gotten going and she needed to.
Speaker 4: Respond in some way.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: Her response was about a minute, minute and a half video. Yeah, but it was very casual.
Speaker 2: Looked like she might have been casuals one way to put it in her bed in a hotel room.
Speaker 4: Yes, she was just speaking to camp all right.
Speaker 1: I guess this was her authentic self, but it seemed like it could have been off the cup or what happened.
Speaker 2: But she.
Speaker 1: Certainly defended herself in that saying, I don't know who this guy was, but he wasn't acting on my.
Speaker 4: Behalf the security.
Speaker 2: Yes, she basically said, wasn't me, wasn't my team? Feel sorry for this kid, but I had nothing to.
Speaker 3: Do with it. That was the bones of what she said, basically.
Speaker 4: And that's why should that not be the end of the story. And it's the problem rogues that that's not the end story. Excuse me, and you tell my audio. I'm so sorry, y'all. That was on me.
Speaker 1: Total me with the audio folks, total me to my audio guy, Jonathan, don't even try to fix that. When that was on me, I screw that up. I apologize. So back here with you now, Robes. The issue is the issue. Now that we have the apology from her, will that be the end of it? And the reason it won't be is because of the reputation she has.
Speaker 2: The reputation she has, and then basically she puts out this response and the mom of the daughter wasn't having it, so she called her out on She basically said, that's bs, there's no way that guy wasn't with you. So the back and forth, it's fascinating to see the access and the reach people have when they go put this on an Instagram story on their social media. It gets picked up by all the other media outlets and suddenly now you've got stores having to respond to fans. And her response well, it didn't land well with the girl's mom.
Speaker 1: I don't know, Okay, with the girl's mom, that's understandable if her child went through it. How it landed for you, how it landed for me, how it landed for chaperone's fans in the wider public, I don't know. I mean, she's saying what she's saying. Should she not take her at her word? She said, I did not direct anybody to go over and do anything. I'd had no woman or no girl. She said, I didn't even have a reason to send someone because nobody actually bothered me.
Speaker 4: Take her at.
Speaker 1: Her word, I mean, can more be done? She even said, nobody deserves to be treated like that.
Speaker 2: She she was yes the last when she said she said, I do not hate people who are fans of my music.
Speaker 3: I do not hate children.
Speaker 2: The fact that she actually had to say that out loud is fairly fascinating. She said, And she did apologize as you pointed out to the mother and child that someone was assuming something. And she said, if you felt uncomfortable, that makes me really sad. You did not deserve that. But there was that famous line if you felt uncomfortable. Clearly the little girl was crying. Clearly, Papa Beart and Mama Bear came out defending their little girl. So just to even maybe say if you felt uncomfortable, that might strike a nerve, maybe that it's so interesting the way we choose our words can either make things better or make things worse, And sometimes something as simple as that can totally reinflame a situation.
Speaker 1: She can feel like she genuinely did nothing wrong, and it's quite possible that she did nothing wrong, but it's still okay to be a little more sympathetic correct then it can come off.
Speaker 4: She has had.
Speaker 1: I mentioned this was twenty twenty four, but she has had. She's been known for having some kind of a reputation roles for not being so kind to her fans, the fact I didn't even know the full story, but to hear her have to even utter the words I don't hate children. Where did that come from?
Speaker 3: Well, see, you wondered if this planned or if this was off the cuff.
Speaker 2: I think it's off the cuff because I don't think any PR strategist would tell you that was a good thing. Like if you're if you feel that backed into a corner, that you have to utter that statement you've got bigger problems. But of course, now, as you pointed out, people are digging up other instances and other videos. You just showed me one where you can see she kind of side eyes her security guard because she sees someone pulling out a camera taking a video of her walking through an airport, and you see her just quickly point to her security guard, who then quickly goes straight to the person who's filming her in an airport, which, by the way, hey, welcome to the world of celebrity.
Speaker 3: When you're walking through an airport, Yeah, are a fair game.
Speaker 1: But everybody's everybody's digging through all those types of videos now. But she herself twenty twenty four put out a pretty lengthy post, almost a letter to the fans, where she was talking about how she felt violated and she felt unsafe even a lot of times when fans tried to she called them violation. You're touching me. I'm a woman, you're not. These are violations of my personal space. But this line robe she says, when I'm on stage, when I'm performing, when I'm at a work event, when I'm doing press, i'm at work, any other circumstance, I am not in work mode, I am clocked out. I don't agree with the notion that I owe you mutual exchange of energy, time or attention to people I do not know, do not trust, or who creep me out just because they're expressing admiration. What do you do with that as a celebrity.
Speaker 3: I think she's in the wrong business.
Speaker 4: Well, isn't That's something?
Speaker 1: I respect the art I can respect the artists, but that line, I don't a mutual exchange of energy, time and attention. You're right, you're probably right. But man, if a little girl runs up to you excited and don't throw that line in her face.
Speaker 4: You know, babe, you.
Speaker 2: Can be right from a principal standpoint, sure, but in an actual, real life since it feels wrong.
Speaker 3: Look, I understand, I understand. We're not anyone who.
Speaker 2: Is in the public eye shouldn't have to then be just a piece of meat twisting in the wind, and everyone gets to say and do and say, come here, do this, take a selfie with me. Look, most people are respectful, some people aren't. And there's a distinguishment between people who are genuinely excited to see you and pay you a compliment versus people who are surreptitiously trying to video you or catch you in a moment where look, we all get it, Like now, anyone who is a phone can video or catch anybody doing something, even nothing wrong, but it looks bad or there's a facial expression, and you can take it and sell it to a tabloid and make some crazy headlines. So I understand, we understand why celebrities are. They don't necessarily trust that a fan has the best intentions when they're taking their photo without asking, when they're videoing them without asking.
Speaker 3: But this is a very different situation.
Speaker 1: And we've met a ton of celebrities who handle it differently. Some of the biggest stars in the world, we are shocked at how much they go out of their way for the little guy. And then some of the not so big stars, we're shocked at how big of a chirk they can be.
Speaker 3: So true, so true, You never.
Speaker 1: Know, You just don't know. But stay here when we come back, Robes and I will actually tell you what both sides did that we think that they got right, and what both sides probably got wrong in this thing.
Speaker 2: Stay here, welcome back, everyone, as we discuss I don't know is this the I Don't Hate children gate to Chapel Rone gate.
Speaker 3: This is just gone off the rails. Basically what started out as maybe we.
Speaker 2: Don't know how aggressive this admonishment was from a security guard to a little eleven year old girl who wasn't just any eleven year old girl. She happened to be the stepdaughter of a very famous Brazilian football player and oh yeah, Jude Law's daughter, and her mother, of course, also is a singer and former model. So this is a young girl who is almost certainly used to being exposed to celebrities, people of a certain I guess fame, and so yes, even she got excited when she saw Chapel Row.
Speaker 1: It also sounds like she knew how to behave so she didn't bother her exactly.
Speaker 2: Because look, if you're the daughter of megastars, like we just mentioned, you get it. You see your own parents get accosted, your own parents get pictures taken of them, and people coming up and wanting a selfie or just seeing whatever they want to.
Speaker 3: Because people get excited when they see.
Speaker 2: Football stars in Brazil, they get excited when they see jew lawsuit. That's something to actually note, and I think that was part of the issue. Her dad and her mom took on this because it was like, didn't do anything wrong. She wasn't taking a picture a chapel roone. She just wanted to make sure it was her and smiled because she was about to go to the concert that night. So something that shouldn't have actually become what it's become now is an interesting conversation, and there's a lot of there's a lot of pr going on right now.
Speaker 1: You said an interesting conversation. What is this an interesting conversation or take on right now?
Speaker 2: What are we Well, we've had this conversation even I've had it with my own girls, about how we treat one another. This is kind of about I think there were things that you can do to treat people who you might respect and admire and not assume that they're there for you to stop and talk and stop what they're doing or take a picture just because you want it, Like, there has to be some allowance for folks to not necessarily be intrusive just because you see somebody you like or see somebody who is in the spotlight. And conversely, I think there just needs to be an acknowledgment when you're that star when you're that celebrity that mostly you've just got people who are excited to see you and want to want to just say they saw you. It's really it's an opportunity for a sweet exchange.
Speaker 3: It doesn't have to be long. But there is a balance and there are boundaries, for sure.
Speaker 1: Three people in this thing, and we always it's so easy black or white, right, left, right, up or downright.
Speaker 4: Right or wrong, blue or red. You know the whole thing.
Speaker 1: This isn't that simple, and it's so easy to might want to take sides, either take chapelons or take the parents on the other side. But I want to take three people here ropes and you tell me what they did right, what they did wrong, and I'll go along with you. Chaperone, the mom and the football of the stepdad. Let's start with him putting out the statement in the first place. What did you make of that?
Speaker 3: Well, that's what started this whole mess.
Speaker 4: Was that necessary?
Speaker 3: I don't think it was necessary.
Speaker 2: I think he was defending his daughter and he was upset at Chapel roone. But if you really wanted to see change, instead of going after her publicly and knowing that she was going to get a ton of headlines.
Speaker 3: He knew exactly what he was doing.
Speaker 2: He's a superstar, he's a like I said, five million followers on Instagram. He knew that this was going to put an incredible amount of pressure on her and a huge spotlight on her, and he wanted to do harm. He wanted to punish her for how he made she made his daughter feel.
Speaker 4: Is that okay, that's it.
Speaker 1: That just feels And when it's a parent dealing with a child, and was a dad dealing with a daughter, I can I'm sure that that is very high.
Speaker 4: But that was a.
Speaker 1: Long, well thought out, direct and public a very high profile attack on chapelon over an incident that maybe he didn't understand even.
Speaker 4: At the time. He wasn't there, So he wasn't even there.
Speaker 1: And I'm sure they conveyed the story right or OpEd him the best they could remember and accurately. But Rob, that is to it to go at and attack her that way seemed it seemed a bit much.
Speaker 2: It was it was a dad who was defending his daughter and he let his emotions probably get the best of him. And maybe he would still say, no, I'm so glad I did what I did, because now she got called out for who she really is.
Speaker 3: Like, we don't know where he stands now, but.
Speaker 1: That seemed to be more like there was a mission to that was more than a motion. There was a mission behind what he was doing to go after her, to bring her down in some way.
Speaker 4: I don't know how it felt about that.
Speaker 2: He used his and I hate to use the word use, but he did. He did use his power and his fame and his position to call her out.
Speaker 1: Sure, it's a dad, that's how he's feeling. That's how he's feeling. He can't take any issue with that. The mom, that video was six plus minutes long. She came back on after chapelone it posted her apology video and went back after chapelone. Now what did you make of I guess the mom through all this so far?
Speaker 2: I mean, hers was the longest video of them all, and she really didn't say anything.
Speaker 3: She just basically said.
Speaker 2: That chapel Rone's apology or what chapel Rone's explanation was that it was it must have been a hotel security guard.
Speaker 3: It wasn't anyone with her, you know, Look, she said, that's just simply not true.
Speaker 2: I don't know all the details, but absolutely this security guard was with Chapel Roone.
Speaker 3: And if you can't basically.
Speaker 2: Control the people who you employ or who represent you, then you've got bigger issues. So she got back on to call Chapelone a liar basically, and so yes, that now got a whole new round of attention. My concern is, and look, I understand that these parents might be coming from a good place in defense of their daughter. But now their daughter, who is famous in and of herself just because of her last name, now she's in the middle of this. And I wonder about Ada law now going to school now just now her name is in the middle of this. Now she's stuck. And maybe she doesn't mind, but I just don't see how that's a good thing for an eleven year old.
Speaker 1: I won't challenge anybody's parenting, man, I won't ever, ever, ever question I hated for a little Like I said, we might not know. Maybe she's a cool kid. It's cool right about now.
Speaker 3: Maybe she loves the feeling of being defended.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and maybe and maybe everybody outside of the primary players are getting more worked up about this than they are. Doesn't seem to be the case, but it to your to your point, it's did we need to do this in response? I mean the girl felt its attacked. If they felt that child was attacked, I guess emotionally attacked. I suppose at the time, where was the complaint that could have been for.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's just it seemed like an a coordinated return assault and we don't know. Oh, actually who's responsible for the initial attack kind of a thing. It seemed premature maybe is what I'm going for.
Speaker 2: You know what? It just feels like now these days, we don't investigate, We don't give people an opportunity to respond or at least to fully understand a situation where you react emotionally. We put it out there for everybody to see. We want people on our side. We have an US versus them mentality, and that is exactly what happened.
Speaker 3: Because I guarantee you this.
Speaker 2: Soccer star from Brazil has people, and his people could have gotten in touch with Chapel Roone's people and they could have let them know what happened and say this isn't right. I need you to understand that how unfair this was and handle it privately and maybe chapel roone would have been able to learn something without being publicly humiliated at the same time, and maybe real change could have happened.
Speaker 1: And now she has to defend herself. She's in that position. You have one thing you mentioned just said. It clicks again. It always happens right in the middle of the podcast. He didn't have to do that. He could have sent There was a way to still put out a pub message without I mean the end of that thing. He said, your fans, she doesn't deserve your affections in all caps. Yeah, that was he was angry, but he wasn't trying to understand before even understanding if the anger was warranted.
Speaker 2: That is where we are now, and in this we have a way of immediately calling people out for the world to see.
Speaker 3: And some people have, yes, millions of followers.
Speaker 2: So the power of that, you know, I think on a school yard or back in the day.
Speaker 3: You just tell other people. Can you believe this happen?
Speaker 2: You're getting people on your side now click boom, the whole world sees.
Speaker 3: And there are real life consequences.
Speaker 4: This is crazy, This is for real.
Speaker 2: The mayor of Rio Rio de Janeiro of Brazil Eduardo Cavaliere said that he will not allow chapel Roan to perform now Toto Mundo no rio shows.
Speaker 4: That's some big international day festival, a thing they y.
Speaker 2: He said, as long as I'm in charge of our city, this young lady referring to chapel Rone will never perform at Total Mundo no Rio. I doubt that Shakira would do that exclamation point. By the way, Georgino, your little one is already the guest of honor from the organization in may Okay.
Speaker 3: Everyone wants to take sides.
Speaker 1: Somebody's gonna be something's gonna come good out of this and takes side pros I'm on everybody's side. It makes sense. Parents emotional, that makes sense. Oh my goodness, gracious, can you either if Siza did that to Sabine, we have all kinds of problems.
Speaker 3: You I beg to differ. You would not go onto your story. You would not would you would not?
Speaker 2: But certainly this is now what everyone's talking about. I don't know if chapel Rone just lets this die out at this point and hope that it goes away, but certainly, as people start dredging up old video of her or any other instance where she didn't treat a fan well. This is most likely going to continue to follow her. We will of course keep you updated on any new developments, but we always appreciate you listening to us.
Speaker 3: I'm Amy Robot alongside TJ. Holmes. We'll talk to you soon