Speaker 1: This podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Meet Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your host, Spencer new Arth and today we're joined by Jannis cal Brody, Randall, Seth Hanse Corey and Nate. This is a ten round quiz show with questions from Meat Eater's four verticals which are hunting, fishing, conservation and cooking. And there is a prize. Meat Eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winners. Choosing and for the stat of the week. This week, we're looking at the performance of Phil's episode of Not Meat Eater Trivia. If you'll recall, Phil did Cinema Trivia two weeks ago, and the audience has spoken. Phil's episode got thirty two percent more views on YouTube than the average episode of trivia. Yeah, give him some claps. There we go by those numbers. I think we can officially declare Phil the best guest host and put me on the hot seat.
Speaker 3: Did Bill also do his own jingles for his own episode?
Speaker 2: I don't think he had any different intro.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Game of Thrones theme.
Speaker 1: It was a whole experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think it's interesting that you Spencer Newheart, the host are just immediately assuming that.
Speaker 4: It's just the host on the episode.
Speaker 5: Obviously, people just tune in for the host, so it's all Phil.
Speaker 3: There's other people in the room.
Speaker 6: But well, there's there's some I think there's some caveats that come with that. One is that I had I had a handful of visual questions, so I think some of those viewers probably came over to the podcast.
Speaker 4: Possibly.
Speaker 6: But but also, uh, neither of us hold a candle to Shelby, so I think she's the one.
Speaker 2: That is the Yeah, that one's like doubled our regular page.
Speaker 4: Call's coming from inside the house.
Speaker 2: There's but but Phil needs to do more trivia. The audience has told us maybe next time, Phil, we can do some you know, uh, media related trivia. And it has just like one thread connected to the Meat Eater universe.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, no, I'd love to do it again.
Speaker 7: So I'll tell him Stale how to do his job now Spencer.
Speaker 2: Telling him how to do my job? Yeah, yeah, do we.
Speaker 4: See a fu Yeah.
Speaker 3: MTV used to be music television videos and then it transformed into what it is now. I mean Meat Eater in ten years, five years.
Speaker 1: We could just have our own Jersey shore.
Speaker 4: It could be medium.
Speaker 2: Well, Phil, what did you name it? You said it was when you took over the company.
Speaker 4: What was going called game beater? Which you know use a couple more passes.
Speaker 2: Here's our Infrequently Asked Question segment. If you have a trivia related question for our crew, send it to Trivia at the medieater dot com with the subject line I F a Q. Tate Green says, if we keep sending the same question, doesn't have better odds of getting picked, and he sent me that question three times on December twelve, thirteen, and sixteen. Well, Tata got me to read your I F a Q, so in this case it helped. Normally, I'm a few months behind in the inbox. So if you send me a question in January and you don't hear it by like, may send it again if you think it's a really good question and I made a mistake and it should be in the show. Uh, just wait a few months and then and then send me that question again. Your best way to get picked, though, just send me a phenomenal question that's your that's your best out at getting the show. And if it's a phenomenal question and you're convinced that it should be on Meat Eater Trivia, then wait, you know, a quarter, and then send it to me again and uh, and we'll see what happens.
Speaker 8: Having spent some time in the inbox, I think another piece of advice is, UH, include the answer to your question.
Speaker 2: That's that's whenever I'm reviewing what in the inbox, guest toasting you. When you guest host, you get you get access to the inbox. It's true, but there's I smell a rat.
Speaker 8: There's a handful of I mean, it's not uncommon to see if someone sends in a question and like the subject line is the question, and then there's no answer, and it's unclear whether they want you to include that in the game or provide them with something that's been bugging them that they don't know.
Speaker 2: Some people will ask who if it helps to send flavor text, and I would say thirty percent of our people who write in will send their flavor text.
Speaker 3: I would appreciate the flavor text.
Speaker 2: It helps in that it may inspire a different question. So the question you sent may not like work for me to to trivia, but your flavor text, a paragraph of text can have something in there that I can mine to use on the show. So flavor text does help you, but it's not necessary.
Speaker 3: Spencer, I almost went casual Camo this morning, and so it's coincidence and cold outside then yeah, but what does that have to do with wearing camof a lot of my warmest gear.
Speaker 2: Like any good midwesterner happens to be in cameo print, got it? Yeah. On a previous episode of Trivia, we had a question about the auto hooks setting ice fishing device within a literative name that's been banned in Minnesota. The correct answer was jaw jacker, but Bryce Jigglinsky wrote in to say that there's another piece of gear that would work for the correct answer, the jigs. It's even more Midwestern than that. Bryce said that he is the fishing teacher at a school in Wisconsin.
Speaker 7: What man that should He needs to let me know when he's going to retire.
Speaker 3: Jacket.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you what Bryce had to say. The Finnicky fooler will also hook for you, has an alliterative name and is banned in Minnesota. So the Bryce is right. And if you said finnick like him, then you also got that one correct. So it could be jaw jacker or finnicky fooler.
Speaker 8: I saw a jaw jacker at Murdox the other day. Yeah, it reminded me of my defeat in that episode.
Speaker 2: What what was your answer?
Speaker 5: Seth is the only guy I know who owns one?
Speaker 1: I got one.
Speaker 4: I got a couple.
Speaker 2: You boys ever use them all the time and love them? Okay?
Speaker 7: Yeah, when you can drill a shipload of holes in a state like Wyoming, there's no reason not to have one.
Speaker 2: You'd reach for that instead of just a standard tip up, though every time depends what you're doing, Okay.
Speaker 7: Like tip up like you know, like canyon berry were fishing and forty feet of water too are kind of a pain, but I use them both Right now.
Speaker 2: The Shelby Index for today is a five, so I'm putting putting us on perfect score alert. With that, we're onto the game of trivia, play the Dropville. Look, I need to know what I stand and wind everything? How's that you just tend to win everything?
Speaker 4: Game?
Speaker 2: On Suckers, Question one, the topic is woodsmanship, and this will be multiple choice. Which of these states does not have a fourteen er? No? Is it? Washington? Colorado? California? Or Idaho.
Speaker 7: Why do I just get the markers that are out of juice?
Speaker 2: All right? Throw that one by the door, and that one is going to leave this room. It's gonna go right in the garbage. Oh no, no, no, not that one. Oh okay, and Randall's gonna find some new markers.
Speaker 7: I'm all tangled that blue one you got in your hand there.
Speaker 2: Randall again? Question one? The topic is woodsmanship. Which of these states does not have a fourteen? Or three of them have a fourteen? Or one of them did not? Is it Washington, Colorado, California or Idaho?
Speaker 7: Rocky Mountain high?
Speaker 2: Okay, Randall the quickest to answer, do you know this one?
Speaker 3: Everyone else said that Roady, I could.
Speaker 9: Tell you the high points in each of these states.
Speaker 2: And why do you know that?
Speaker 9: Because I love mountains?
Speaker 2: Just to be good at trivia? Again, Washington Point, Colorado, California, or Idaho? Which of those states does not have a fourteen er? Is everybody ready?
Speaker 1: Colorado? I'm not sure?
Speaker 2: Oh happened? I take? I take you mean you're not sure what the high point is?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers? We have cal saying Idah Giannis says Washington, Seth Idaho, Randall Idaho, Corey, Idaho, Hansei Washington, Nate, California, Brody Idaho. The correct answer is Idaho. About half of the room got that one right. Fourteen Heres are mountains with an elevation over fourteen thousand feet. There are ninety six in America, which are all found in Alaska, Colorado, Washington, and californi Ornia. The tallest mountain in Idaho is bore A Peak, which has an elevation of thirteen Yeah, twelve thousand, six hundred and sixty two. So Idaho does not have a fourteener. I was a little nervous about the Tetons. How close are the Tetans? So I locked up. The tallest peak in Wyoming is only about twenty feet shy fourteen.
Speaker 7: But that's not the Titan st wherever.
Speaker 2: I don't remember what it was. But I didn't feel good about making Idaho a choice when it was only twenty feet away from being a fourteen er, so I went with Ira.
Speaker 5: And Montana's not a fourteen or state either. It's only fourteen something granted twelve grant I think is it?
Speaker 2: Question two? The topic is conservation This next great question is via Justin Mathiason. Also known as a controlled burn. The US Forest Service defines this as quote a planned fire used to meet management objectives. Also known as a controlled burn. The US Forest Service defines this as quote a planned fire used to meet management objectives.
Speaker 3: Sur in house Forrester, had it, seth If I'm reading the question right, I think it's also known as a control burn.
Speaker 2: The US Forest Service defines this as a planned fire used to meet management objectives. About half of the room has come up with their answer, bro, do you have this one right? Oof?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 7: I mean, I know I've heard this term used before, but I don't know if it's what you're looking for.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is question too.
Speaker 3: Did you come up with this question?
Speaker 2: This was via Justin Mathison.
Speaker 3: You know you got a good one.
Speaker 7: It gets real quiet responsor.
Speaker 2: We still have some blank whiteboards.
Speaker 7: I think for a service expert seth Over there got it right away.
Speaker 4: We worked for employed by that, not for service.
Speaker 1: Have you done well?
Speaker 7: We were on a fire crew, correct, Yeah, in the private sector. You guys were contractors for for the Forest Service.
Speaker 2: Again, also known as a controlled burn, The U S Forest Service defines this as a planned fire used to meet management objectives. This is question to the topic is conservation. This is a tough start for our players looking for a perfect game. What was what was the Shelby five? Someone in here has a ten in them today? Not Yanni, not be honest. I went with the backwards hat today on a Tuesday, of all days, all days, Tuesday. Is that you've asked me before you You're always like, oh, backwards today, Spencer, And then I feel like my answer music, Yeah, it's like Thursday energy and camo hat, uh huh yeah, casual camo backwards on a Tuesday, on Tuesday in January. January has got to have like the worst tuesdays that there are. I'd say, yeah, it.
Speaker 7: Does kind of look like he's getting ready to drink a beer on the beat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now, yeah, he sees it.
Speaker 6: Excuse me's Brodie season. There's a lot of like what's good, fellow kids energy saying Steve from was it thirty Rock? Does everyone have an answer for question too?
Speaker 1: Thirty Rock?
Speaker 3: I like that shot answer which which card.
Speaker 2: Steve By plays was a private investigator.
Speaker 6: He goes undercover at a high school, but it's he looks like Steve By, but he's got a skateboard and a hoodie and like a backwards hat on or something.
Speaker 2: Everybody ready, go ahead, and your answers, what's that say?
Speaker 7: Cal gets points for creative.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it says prescribed burn, Seth prescribed burn, Randall deliberate conglagration, Corey prescribed prescribed burn. You know hansei, slash burn, nate fire, blaze, dragon, charizar, rody, prescribed burn. The correct answer is prescribed fire or prescribe it.
Speaker 1: I was going for something without burning it. I know that like.
Speaker 5: Uses so many common terms, always jack me out.
Speaker 2: If too many years, if too many years passed without a fire and agecy may use a prescribed fire to help the health of an ecosystem. Some of the benefits of controlled burns include minimizing the spread of pests, providing forage for animals, recycling nutrients back into the soil, and promoting the growth of new plants. The Forest Service also says one of the best ways to minimize wildfires is by using prescribed fires.
Speaker 5: I do want to say that a backburn is technically correct, because if your management objective is to slow down a fire or stop a fire, a backburn is prescribe burn.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 2: Question three, They're not going to give it to you.
Speaker 5: Let's go through the Forest Service manel.
Speaker 6: When I was at Fort Stewart, I was on this list of they would send out what training errors were getting burned, and I'd get like five emails.
Speaker 5: A day like prescribe burn, prescribe burn, prescribe burn.
Speaker 4: More people should be doing. That is all I'm going to say. Question property.
Speaker 2: The topic is fishing. Encyclopaedia Britannica defines this as quote brown algae that grows as large coastal seaweeds in colder seas. M Question three another stumper for our crew. Encyclopaedia Britannica defines this as brown algae that grows in large coastal that grows as large coastal seaweeds in colder seas. Brody with an answer, how do you feel about your answer?
Speaker 1: Excellent?
Speaker 2: How about you seth?
Speaker 1: I like your archer man, Nate.
Speaker 3: I'm just thinking brown ship that grows up in uh Alaska.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't deserve it. Oh boy, Brody did not like that hint. Brown algae as the large coastal seaweeds in colder seas.
Speaker 4: Seth, now what I'm thinking about? Thinking what I'm thinking about considered algae? Okay, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Question three the topic is fishing. Encyclopedia Britannica defines this as brown algae that grows as large coastal seaweeds in colder seas.
Speaker 4: Brody.
Speaker 2: Do you think Seth said too much?
Speaker 4: I do, ok way too much?
Speaker 1: Too much?
Speaker 2: Did it help?
Speaker 4: I didn't. I didn't think it was a hint that okay, saying that Alaska was cold?
Speaker 9: I keep going, Seth, what did you think of my answer?
Speaker 4: I dig that answer.
Speaker 2: Okay, you to Randall and Seth agree on what it might be. It's everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have cal says Bull kelp Yanness Bull kelp, Seth kelp, Randall kelp, Corey kelp, Hansi kelp forest, Nate kelp Brody kelp. Everybody got that. The correct answer is kelp or kelp forest.
Speaker 9: Better than my original answer of snot.
Speaker 2: Contrary to popular belief, kelp is a type of lgae, not a type of plant. That means they have hold fast instead of roots, blades instead of leaves, and a stipe instead of a stem. Help provides critical habitat for many fish and marine mammals. You know what else is good for? What's that?
Speaker 7: Kids turning it into whips and beating each other with it?
Speaker 6: I was just gonna say, the kids in Alaska get more entertainment out of kelp anything else.
Speaker 2: Every day they come back with it. Beat each other, make like rock water rockets out of it.
Speaker 4: Beat it.
Speaker 2: Question for the topic is natural history, and this next great question is via Aaron Welsh. This female name is also what you call fossilized tree resin. A lot of our players quick to answer, they're getting their confidence.
Speaker 7: Got any of this in your fossil collection, Spencer?
Speaker 2: I do. I did not find it, though it was given to me.
Speaker 9: Female name, Doctor Henry Henry Woo.
Speaker 10: I know.
Speaker 5: I'm so glad Steve's not here so we don't have to go down the what's your female name?
Speaker 4: Sponsor?
Speaker 2: I'd like to hear him argue about this. This this female name is also what you call fossilized tree resin what's the category natural history? It's everybody ready funny over there?
Speaker 4: Phil Corey, Corey just has he's got some questions.
Speaker 1: I guess.
Speaker 4: Are you ready?
Speaker 2: Corey? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have cal and Yanni saying Amber, Seth without an answer. Randall says Amber, Corey says Pitchy Hansi, Nate and Brody say Amber. They got it. The correct answer is Amber. Amber is often translucent with a hint of brown, yellow, or orange. Famously, it was the catalyst for creating Jurassic Park. Here is a one minute video of the movie where the park's mascot, Mister Dna, describes Amber's role in dinosaur cloning. Play the clip.
Speaker 4: Phil once again apologies to the YouTube audience.
Speaker 11: A DNA strand like me is a blueprit for building a living thing, and sometimes animals that went extinct millions of years ago, like dinosaurs, left their blueprints behind for us to find.
Speaker 4: We just had to know where to look.
Speaker 10: One hundred million years ago, there were mosquitoes just like today, and just like today, they fed on the blood of animals, even dinosaurs. Sometimes, after biding a dinosaurs, the mosquito would land on the branch of a tree and get stuff in the sap. After a long time, the tree sap would get hard and become fossilized, just like a dinosaur bone preserving the mosquito inside. This fossilized tree samp, which we call amber, waited for millions of years with the mosquito inside until Jurassic Park scientists came along. Using sophisticated techniques, they.
Speaker 11: Extract the preserved blood from the mosquito and Bengo dino.
Speaker 9: Dmy, is this a young Brett Reeves doing the voice?
Speaker 12: There were four different regional accents.
Speaker 2: Real scientists have tried replicating doctor John Hammond's work from Jurassic Park, but are still unsuccessful. So I do have a piece of amber, and it does have a bug in it. I do, but I did not find it. No, it's given to me a from a fossil collector in Utah.
Speaker 3: No question in the flavor of text. I'm surprised, well, one of the world's top amber produce.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, as we was waiting for you to pitch in with that question. Five the top of this hunting. This Kentucky bourbon fittingly got its name after a distillery executive went on his annual bird hunting nineteen forty. This Kentucky bourbon fittingly got its name after a distillery executive went on his annual bird hunting nineteen forty. This is question five. We will get a scoreboard update from Phil after this. Who are our bourbon or whiskey drinkers in the room? Not me, Corey and HANSI.
Speaker 4: I drink it, but there's nothing.
Speaker 2: It's not like that. Yeah, Hans, you got this one right?
Speaker 12: I don't think so, but I'm gonna take a guess.
Speaker 2: Okay, Corey, do you have this one right?
Speaker 11: Man?
Speaker 3: I sure, hope so.
Speaker 2: Ok.
Speaker 1: There's another bird.
Speaker 8: Game bird themed whiskey that I'm thinking of, but I'm not sure if.
Speaker 2: It's a bourbon. This Kentucky bourbon fittingly got its name after a distillery executive went on his annual bird hunt in nineteen forty. Ah oh okay, Hansei, one of our whiskey experts. Going back to his whiteboard, Hansei also a samolier.
Speaker 12: I wish taking donations.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you that. Yeah, you got to take classes for that, right, Yeah? Hansei? Or excuse me, Corey, if you have this one right? Have you had this bourbon?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What do you think of it? You know, on the beach for tasting the difference all honestly, it all tastes good out of your ski jacket. Hansei, if you have this one right? Do you have a review of this bourbon.
Speaker 9: Like a number like.
Speaker 2: I love on a scale one to ten? Sure, yeah, yeah, I can.
Speaker 12: I can do that.
Speaker 2: Do that you're gonna tell us?
Speaker 12: Or I had to switch it up because I think I put a Scotch on there first.
Speaker 1: Damn.
Speaker 2: This Kentucky bourbon fittingly got its name after a distillery executive went on his annual bird hunting.
Speaker 3: Did you grow up skiing drunk?
Speaker 9: Technically?
Speaker 3: I was just like heard of people doing it, but just we just never did it for some reason.
Speaker 2: What's that drinking and skiing?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh, you gotta have a little nerp on the chair lift sometimes?
Speaker 7: Are you doing something else up there? He used to do that dangerous back country stuff, so you couldn't afford.
Speaker 1: Growing up skiing drunk.
Speaker 8: To me, just I envisioned toddlers immediately can be very interesting visual.
Speaker 2: Where people skiing the pizza straight down shots.
Speaker 8: You sit at the chair lift and it's like watching bowling from the perspective of.
Speaker 2: Three straight to the bottom.
Speaker 8: Car hurt sixty miles an hour into the lift line?
Speaker 2: Is everybody there, y'all?
Speaker 1: Watch out?
Speaker 2: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have cal saying bird dog, Giannis says wild turkey, crossed out bird dog, Seth wild turkey, Randal wild turkey, Cory wild turkey, Hansei wild turkey, Nate Buffalo, Trace, Brodie wild turkey. The correct answer is wild turkey. The room did very well.
Speaker 5: How often when you go turkey hunting? Spencer like, just what are you gonna do this weekend? Do you say I'm going bird hunting? I'm going on my annual bird hunt.
Speaker 4: I have just a question.
Speaker 2: I think six of our eight players got that right. I feel good about the word. If I would have given you, you know you don't answer the question, I would not say I'm going to bird hunting, but it wouldn't be wrong.
Speaker 9: I'm going to start.
Speaker 1: I was picturing the bottle, but I couldn't come up with the name.
Speaker 2: That distillery executive said his buddies in camp loved the bourbon he brought with him, so they named it after the bird they were hunting. Other liquors with birdie names include red Breast, Famous Grouse, gray Goose, Kentucky Owl, old Crow, and eagle rare.
Speaker 1: Old Crow, make cow.
Speaker 7: I was just thinking times when your turkey hunt, you'll be like found some bird.
Speaker 1: Gotta didn't find any birds. I heard some birds.
Speaker 5: So the same question to you.
Speaker 3: It's spring, you're out doing stuff. What are you doing this weekend?
Speaker 4: Our annual bird saying it?
Speaker 8: If it's when he went on this annual turkey hunt in nineteen four, I think I would have been worm.
Speaker 2: What's what's your review of wild Turkey bourbon?
Speaker 12: I think it's a totally serviceable bourbon. Put it out a three three point five, three seven five out of a five. Ok we're talking like if we're talking like Colonel H. Taylor is like like a four point five and happy Van Winkle be in a five. Okay, wild turkey in that three territory solidly serviceable, excellent. I'm gonna put Old Crow down at like two. And like, what about in.
Speaker 2: A glass bottle?
Speaker 9: Glass bottle? If we put a plastic bottle, we're going one.
Speaker 2: It's like vodka with caramel coloring. So I'm gonna write no bourbon questions just so we can get your comments. Have you had have you had pappy before?
Speaker 12: I have never had pappy, so I shouldn't. But you know it's one of those like it's they the price come on, like but you know again taking donations here.
Speaker 9: You want me to find out what a five is like?
Speaker 1: Please?
Speaker 9: My desk is.
Speaker 2: Open, Phil, We're halfway through the game. Give us this or board update.
Speaker 4: There we are. Hey, it's a pretty it's a pretty close game all things considered.
Speaker 6: We've got Natan last place with two, coming up next to Cal and Hansei with three points apiece. Then I'll tie up our Corey, Jannis, Seth and Randall with four and in first place. It's a perfect game for Brodie Henderson.
Speaker 2: Wow. Again, this was supposed to be a tournament episode today, but Steve couldn't make it, so we had to punt on that. But the rumors this will be a stressful tournament and heavy hitters are we still doing We're gonna do it at a certain point. If we can't make it happen with Steve's schedule, We're just gonna play it without him, and I'll figure out an alternative to still get Steve involved because he is the defending champion. Question six. The topic is biology. This next great question is via Joe Mason. Platypus and blank are the only mammals that lay eggs. Platypus and blank are the only mammals that lay eggs. The room is stressed again, except for maybe Randall. Randall, do you have this one right?
Speaker 1: I believe so.
Speaker 2: Randall is confident. Brody, who has the perfect game going, is tapping the whiteboard against the bill of his hat.
Speaker 9: We need one.
Speaker 2: Can you picture it? Bro You know the animal? You just can't find its name. Platypus and blank are the only mammals that lay eggs. This is question six. The topic is biology. Seth now going to his whiteboard.
Speaker 9: It's a tough little game here.
Speaker 8: I wouldn't have guessed that it was a five on the old index.
Speaker 2: You did well, Seth. How do you feel all your answer?
Speaker 4: I honestly have no clue. I just wrote something down.
Speaker 2: Platypus and blank are the only here's your hint, they're the only mammals that lay eggs.
Speaker 1: Phill, Do I know this?
Speaker 4: H Spencer? Can I give a phil hint that.
Speaker 2: You're certain? Fill? It will not help any of the eight players in the room, then I'd say go for it.
Speaker 8: I feel good about that, though, uh no, no, don't do it.
Speaker 2: Do it? I think I know what you're gonna say. I don't think if it were to help somebody. It would be Randal and Randall already have it?
Speaker 6: Has his answer, Well, honestly, it's a hint that might actually throw people off because they don't think what they might know that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they don't, they don't, they don't do it.
Speaker 2: We're gonna we're gonna say, hold off on the hint. It's a type of Pokemon, isn't it.
Speaker 9: You're not far off where chars are.
Speaker 2: Platypus and blank are the only mammals that lay.
Speaker 9: Eggs, which is just disgusting.
Speaker 1: When do you really think about it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we need something to go extinct's perverts, make up your mind? Is everybody ready? Brody? Just right? Okay, he's gonna throw some letters on the board. Corey, Hansei, you give up, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have callan Yanni without an answer. Seth says pang Randall says kidna, Cory Wallaby Hansi ant eaters, Nate Pangolin, Brody, that's that's the word, Randall got it. The correct answer is a kidna or a spiny anti eater. Now, Hansei said anteater. But I don't think we're gonna give it. List If everyone else says, come on for sure, how many points you have? How many points does head?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 6: Sorry, Hansey currently has three if we give him the point four?
Speaker 2: He gets it again. It's an a kidnap, yes, aka a spiny antieater. Platypus and a kidnap possess other unique qualities, like legs that are on their sides instead of underneath them, and having just a single duct for urine feces and sex rather than multiple openings. Scientists say egg laying mammals were once common but got out competed by marsupials about seventy million years ago. Is it still called a cloaca? I gotta know, cho, I don't know if you.
Speaker 5: Platypus is also venomous. Yeah, yeah, which is a crazy fact.
Speaker 2: Question seven, Are you going to move on with that our hint? Oh? Yeah, what's the hint?
Speaker 1: Film?
Speaker 6: Oh, I was gonna say, he's very prominent antagonist in a famous video game franchise is technically nap. Yeah, exactly, But Randall, Randall got it, he knew.
Speaker 5: Question Well, the hedgehog is also something that can be venomous. But and that's yeah, same same deal. But they rub venom they eat venomous stuff and then secrete it onto their spines. Oh questions, that's not they're not generating the venom.
Speaker 2: Seven The topic is fishing. What American lake has a monster named Champ whose sightings are likely just long nose gar and lake sturgeon? What American lake has a monster named Champ whose sightings are likely just long nose gar and the lake sturgeon. Brody and Randall both like their answers, Hansei, do you have this one right? No? Okay? Again is question seven? The perfect game is now over, but I think it tightened up as well, says likely just a long nose gar and the lake sturgeon. What American lake has a monster named Champ whose sightings are likely just a long nose gar and the lake sturgeon. We had a question a few weeks ago about mothman if you can't tell Right now, I'm reading a cryptids book which has inspired a few trivia questions.
Speaker 12: What is the what's the definition of cryptids?
Speaker 2: Like what it's It's any animal that's not recognized by science or something like that. So there are animals who were once considered cryptids that then just became accepted, Like there's a fish that we thought was extinct for sixty five million years. Yes, and then they found one and then it just you know, became an animal.
Speaker 7: Wasn't that thing always in the fossil record and they just it wasn't a cryptid.
Speaker 2: It was just extinct. Sure, But I think by like that, it's like Bigfoot, yes, moth man champ.
Speaker 4: I don't think Selacanth qualifies.
Speaker 1: It's everybody really abominable.
Speaker 5: Unless there's a story of Celacanth coming in and like stealing children.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: The cabra uh huh. Choopocabre is a recent cryptid. Most of the cryptids that we hear about go back to like I don't know Native American lore, but the chroop of cabra was like nineteen ninety nine. Uh. Interesting, it's not based on some no at first, and it's like sort of the thought of what a cheopacabra is has changed. It started in Puerto Rico, where its described as sort of an alien like figure, and then by the time it made it to the States in Texas, it's become like this hairless blue dog.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I just didn't come around until the nineties.
Speaker 8: I associated with the Taco bell dog. So because it sounds like a order at Taco bell.
Speaker 2: Does everyone have an answer for the American lake that has a monster named Champ whose sightings are likely just a long nose guard and lake sturge. Go ahead and reveal your answers. Cal says Champlain. Yanna says Placid, Seth Placid, Randall Lake Champlain, Corey and Hansei say Lake Champlain. Nate says Okachobe, Brody Lake Champlain. He got it the correct answer.
Speaker 4: Great fanetic spelling of.
Speaker 9: Where you have all your answers to try to get one of them right.
Speaker 4: No answer.
Speaker 2: Champ has been deemed America's lock nest. There have been hundreds of sightings of Champ going all the way back to the Iroquois tribe. The lake monster has been described as being fifteen to fifty feet long, with a snake like body and horse like head.
Speaker 4: You never seen this, Seth.
Speaker 3: The answer was in the question.
Speaker 4: Well, I almost.
Speaker 6: Moved with Champlain, but the the movie Lake Placid was throwing me off.
Speaker 1: But it wasn't on Lake Placid.
Speaker 9: A deep cut, frustrating, terrible, terrible question.
Speaker 2: Question eight. The topic is cooking and this next Great Questions via David Servini Merriam Webster defines this nine letter dish as quote thinly sliced raw meat or fish served with a sauce. This question eight. We'll get another scoreboard update from filled the engineer after this. Merriam Webster defines this nine letter dish as thinly sliced raw meat or fish served with a sauce. Brody, you got this one, right, I got nine letters? Okay, Yanni joining them? Yanni, you got this one.
Speaker 4: I believe so.
Speaker 2: You Pennsylvania boys. Ever been to Lake Champlain?
Speaker 7: No, that's a long ways.
Speaker 2: Vermont would be like driving to northeast Montana, right, No, No, it's a hall.
Speaker 9: That northern spot is sneaky big.
Speaker 5: To be fair, Northeast Montana is a hall from here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like seven hours.
Speaker 1: I mean, but we go there recreational.
Speaker 4: I don't know, like, I don't know what.
Speaker 7: What do you think it would take seth to get up to northern Vermont like or souther day southern New.
Speaker 2: York because it goes across both states.
Speaker 4: Probably, well, it takes about nine hours.
Speaker 3: We're going.
Speaker 2: Is like maybe six hours Lancaster an okay, representative from that way south Okay, longer from there to make Champlain six hours fifty minutes. And that's if you're like going from southern PA from state college, yeah, or eerie state college. Again, we are on.
Speaker 3: This is why the internet. Yeah you really really.
Speaker 1: Pittsburgh.
Speaker 2: Uh, state College will be seven hours thirteen minutes. And again that's just going to like the western side here, Pennsylvania's gotta be We're done, We're done doing uh distances from Pennsylvania places to Lake Champlain. Again, A nine.
Speaker 1: Letter days.
Speaker 7: In Northeastern miles or time, that's way longer than Montana time. It's like, no one thinks twice about driving six hours across Montana.
Speaker 2: Say it's a hall again, A nine letter dish that's a thinly sliced raw meat or fish served with a sauce. As everybody ready, and I bet if you're going from where we're sitting now to like northeast Montana, that's probably six and a half hours.
Speaker 4: Yeah, pass lower.
Speaker 8: You'd pass a lot fewer Burger Kings though along the way, which is how some of us measure our road trip.
Speaker 2: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have callen Yanni saying Carpaccio, Seth says Sashimi Randall says carpacchio. Corey, Shashimi, Hansi, and Nate and Brody say carpaccio. They got it. The correct answer is carpaccio. Here's how you spell it, c A r p a cc io. Anybody have that right?
Speaker 1: Yea, yes, a lot of people.
Speaker 2: The modern version of carpaccio was created in Venice in the nineteen fifties. It was specially made for a wealthy customer whose doctor recommended she stop eating cooked meat to learn how to make it with fish or venison. Check out Wade Trunk's article on the medeater dot com called how to make Carpaccio.
Speaker 4: I want I would love to go to that doctor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wondering what else he's got in his toolbox.
Speaker 2: In the nineteen fifties, so you might need a medium to talk to him. Us a school board off day with two questions to go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, pull it up here there she is, damn yeah. I think only two players are out of the running. Here.
Speaker 6: We've got Nate with three and Seth with four. Then coming up next our Klianis and Corey with five points a piece. Hansei has six thanks to that anteater question.
Speaker 3: Get him laughing now, he's knocking on your door, Randa, and then tied up in first place are Randall and Brody with seven points.
Speaker 2: Question nine, the topic is conservation. The largest logger head sea turtle nesting site in the world is found in this state. Question nine, The topic is conservation. The largest logger head sea turtle nesting site in the world is found in this state. I've not seen anyone write down in answer yet.
Speaker 9: Mm hm.
Speaker 2: The largest loggerhead sea turtle nesting site in the world is found in this state, Johnny. How you feel about your answer.
Speaker 3: I've seen a few loggerheads over the years.
Speaker 2: Oh, you don't have to say where in the ocean be uh be encrypted if you saw it anywhere else, probably mm hm hm hm. The largest loggerhead sea turtle nesting site in the world is found in this state.
Speaker 3: It's popular to uh eat the eggs.
Speaker 4: In some places, got them in trouble.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but no, to make like a cast of the shell and then recreate it and use it. In a lot of coastal places. You'll see as you know, in like a beach cottage, you'll see that like a fiberglass cast of the shell.
Speaker 1: It's pretty cool.
Speaker 3: And that's because they're big in your relative speech cottage.
Speaker 4: Oh just just the fact you said beach cottage. Yeah, takes me to a certain place. It's on the ocean.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say that in Oklahoma. I've got changed my mind. Is everybody ready? Randall? How do you feel about your answer?
Speaker 1: I don't feel super confident.
Speaker 2: Okay, Brody, who is tied for the lead with Randall? How do you feel about your answer?
Speaker 7: I got a bunch of now I'm not haven't circled one yet.
Speaker 2: Better be fixing to select one. I think we're gonna flip over the boards. Everybody ready, Brody, go ahead and reveal your answer. Cal says Florida, Yiannis Florida, Seth South Carolina, Random Georgia, Corey, South Carolina, Hansei, South Carolina, Nate Florida, crossed out Texas. Brody says, Florida, crossed out Georgia, and South Carolina. We have a correct answer in the room. It's Florida.
Speaker 6: Ah.
Speaker 2: I think four of our players maybe got that one right. There are nine population segments of loggerhead turtles, all of which are listed as threatened or endangered by the US Fish and Wildlife Service. Florida set a record in twenty twenty three with one hundred and thirty thousand lagger head nests, which is thirty thousand more than the average year. The world's next largest site is located near Saudi Arabia, where about twenty thousand laggerheads nest.
Speaker 7: We were in South Carolina last summer when they were coming up on the beach ms.
Speaker 2: It's cool, okay, question, here's a.
Speaker 5: Ever do some like real dirt bagging it in Mexico? You do have to look out for Cuelo state Tortuga.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, here's a correct answer review so far before we do Question ten. One was Idaho two Prescribed Fire three, Kelp four Amber five Wild Turkey six, Ekidnap seven Lake Champlain eight Carpaccio nine Florida. Question ten. The topic is hahunting. This is our listener question of the week, which was won by Jace Jenkins for sending this great question. Jase, it's going to get a board game signed by the crew. If you want a chance to win our listener Question of the week, then send your question to Trivia at the Mediator dot com. And before I read it, Phil give us one last scoreboard update.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's down to Randall and Brody. Brody just pulled ahead with that last answer. He's got eight points and Randall has seven.
Speaker 2: Here's question ten. This subspecies of our golly sheep that's native to Central Asia is named after an Italian explorer. Brody is writing his rand some confidence, Randall and most of the room is confident in their answer here. This subspecies of our golly sheep that's native to Central Asia is named after an Italian explorerst. Hansi and Courier not as confident answer before you finished. Oh okay, you're talking to just Hansy struggling with this one. It's everybody ready hands you is gonna come up with an answer. Type of sheep named after an Italian explorer. It's a go ahead and cal and be honest. The whole room says Marco Polo, and everybody got it right. Correct answer is Polo Well. Marco Polo. Sheep are known for their giant horns and rugged home range. They are considered a near threatened species, with population declinents due to habitat loss from climate change and warfare. The sheep are named after Marco Polo because he documented them when crossing Mount Emion in twelve seventy one. To haunt a Marco Polo sheep, you'll need at least fifty thousand dollars for a tag and guide. Brody is our winner today with nine correct answers, Brody, which one did you get wrong? To cost it? The perfect game? Ekidnap kidnap cadn't come up to the kid, So Brody gets to choose where the five hundred dollars donation from Meat Eater goes. What's it gonna be? Cal does h Utah a Bha chapter?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Utah Bha is kicking ass right now.
Speaker 7: So the Supreme Court just decided not to hear the case for Utah the Utah landgrad But that doesn't mean it's not That doesn't mean it's gonna go way. So we'll donate it to Utah Bha so they can keep fighting that that land grab effort.
Speaker 2: We're sending five hundred dollars their way. And we just covered that subject on the medeater dot com about what's happening in you Join us next week for more Meat Eater trivia. The only game show Conservation always wins. Yes.
Speaker 1: Spencer from South Dakota. He's the host, using those smooth, mellow tones. He lays them questions down, and he likes taking those two and three year old bucks. It is an avid amateur