Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Our two.
Speaker 2: On this Wednesday, Dan and the dann It's Dan Patrick Show. Glad to have you on board. The King of Comedy, Fritzie Seaton is back. Marvin Paully yours truly, that's the starting lineup. That's my five on the floor. Although in Hoosiers didn't they have four players on the floor, and Gene Hackman said, Norman Dale said, my team's on the floor.
Speaker 3: We have five here.
Speaker 2: There are times I feel like maybe four or three, but we do have a starting lineup. Todd, glad to have you part of the program today.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Garage sale everything on sale go to Danpatrick dot com. We're clearing out inventory for the spring. Stat of the Day brought to you by Bendi America, the official trading cards of the program. Good morning, those watching on Peacock, Thank you for allowing us in your homes and our radio affiliates around the country. March is here. March Madness, Big Ten Big East Men's basketball tournaments. They tip off live today exclusively on peacon Poll. Question from hour one, Seaton and what are we going to go with? An hour two?
Speaker 3: Will Tiger win another major?
Speaker 5: Right now, ninety five percent of the audience are saying no, probably one of the more lopsided poll questions we've ever had.
Speaker 2: I don't blame them for that voting that way. I think if you said, will he win another tournament? Because he's not going to win another major even if he was going to be healthy, I wouldn't have him winning a major. But if you said, will Tiger win another tournament? Coming back from Achille surgery? And once again, the way they're framing this is it's not like a severe Achilles injury. I don't believe like minor surgery is when surgery is on somebody else, not you. If you go in and he already had the surgery, now you begin the rehab process, probably going to be in a cast, and you're probably going to be out for at least nine to twelve months. And then can you get back into the battle mode, the grinding mode, And that's what this is all about. We might see the finished product again where you go, man, he looks pretty good. Everything that's going to go into I mean, this is where it just defeats you. Having had as many surgeries as I have, and I'm not coming back for anything. It just gets lonely, it's dark, and you're just going is it worth it? This is what I would think an athlete would be thinking later in his career. For me, it was just trying to hey can I walk again. I'll get a knee replacement or get my shoulder done again. It was just to be healthy. He's trying to come back and play at an elite level, and to be able to do that at this age, with all the mileage on that body, it's not gonna happen.
Speaker 5: Yes, I think we had Julian Edelman on once. I think it was him, and he talked about the loneliness of an injury, that recovery process. You're by yourself, you're away from the team, you're not doing all of the normal things of your autem. I would guess even in an individual sport like golf, it's the same thing. You're not on tour, you're not going to all the different events. You're just rehabbing by yourself, and the loneliness must be tough.
Speaker 2: Well, he's a secretive person to begin with. How many people are coming over to his house. You're probably going to have a trainer, maybe inner circle. But that's it. But it's a grind every day, same thing.
Speaker 3: Do this?
Speaker 6: Do that?
Speaker 2: Can't do this? Push it a little bit more, add a little more weight. Can you put some pressure on it? Can you swing? Can you swing fully? Like all of those things are going to go through his head? And plus it's on his left side, his left leg, that's your plant leg.
Speaker 3: So much torque involved in that.
Speaker 2: I don't want to bet against him because I always hope that Tiger's able to play. I just want to be realistic about it. I don't think that we see Tiger winning a tournament. Maybe maybe gets to compete. I don't think he's a senior tour guy. But also he's a business guy, and you want to get you, which is your product out there in front of people?
Speaker 3: Yeah, pulling.
Speaker 7: I saw the response from I would say sports fans who don't really golf or love golf responding to tiger Woods announcement of his achilles yesterday, and a lot of it was how in a sport that's non contact, can certain players have that many injuries?
Speaker 6: How would you respond to that? As someone who golf's.
Speaker 3: Well, nobody swings the way Tiger does.
Speaker 2: Go back to when he first came on tour and I remember talking to Freddie Couples and he said that swing won't last. And Freddie has had his fair share of back injuries and surgeries. But I don't know if you can look at another golfer and say, boy, look at all the injuries he's had. It's been Tiger, and not all of those are golf related. I mean being in a car accident. I mean, he really pushed himself. He wanted to be a Navy seal, but he plays sport. He plays golf in a way that's different than anybody else. He played it as if it was a contact sport, and he got his body in shape, in condition, maybe too much, always change in his swing. You know, you put different pressures on different parts of your body, and you're swinging one hundred and twenty miles an hour, and you're going to do that over and over and over and over, and it just worn down. And look, there were cautionary tales. People would say, you know, you don't have to swing that hard. Sometimes you get caught up in people are coming to see me be Tiger. No, they're coming to see you win. But you get caught up in I got to play a certain way or that's the only way I can play. Tiger could have played any way he wanted to and still been competitive, maybe not dominating, but he played in a way that was so aggressive and his swing was violent. It won't hold up and it didn't. Yes, Ton, I wonder.
Speaker 4: I know it's different from one athlete to the next, but like, what is the primary motivating factor. Is it love of the game that you keep wanting to come back, especially from a bad injury, or is it just a sticker to everyone and prove everyone wrong that competitor in you. Everyone wrote me off and I'm not ready. I want to show everyone that I can come back from this, even if it's not loving the sports so much to continue playing.
Speaker 2: Well, it's his identity. I mean, I don't know his motivation. I don't know Tiger, but I would think that this is what he does. This is all he's done. He's been raised to do this, and as early as he could walk, he had a golf club in his hand. His father wanted him to be something great. His father even said that he thought his son would be a religious deity, that he would be bigger. He's more than just a golfer. Well he was more than just a golfer. But he's not anymore. But in your head you still think, I still think I can go out and shoot against Ray Allen. I can't, but in my mind I still do as silly as that is Steph Curry. If Steph Curry came into the man cave he said, you want to shoot? How about a competition? Hell, yes, absolutely, Now I'd get smoked. But in your mind you don't turn that off. These guys are so competitive. That's why you get guys who you know. Pete Rose had to gamble, Michael Jordan has to gamble, Like what is it that's going to feed me here? I can't go out there and torch somebody for fifty. I can't get four base hits. I can't go sliding head first. That's what motivates you and then continues to motivate you. And then when it doesn't work, you know, what do you do to get back on the field or back on the court. Guys will take whatever they can take to get back there. That's how you're conditioned. I don't think you can ever turn that off. I think in Jack Nicholas's mind he would still say, on a given day, I could go out there and I could compete.
Speaker 3: For one day.
Speaker 2: Larry Bird would probably say, hey, give me a couple of days and I could go out there and I could shoot with anybody like That's just who they are. And I respect that Tiger could easily shut this down, could have shut this down a long time ago and just rested on his laurels. But that's not who he is. He'll never be that way. And you could be successful at business, it's not the same as being successful on a golf course or a football field or a baseball field. That's your DNA. It's not like you can go in and you know, have a blood transfusion and go can you get my DNA out? Could you put something in that says I'm going to be satisfied with my career.
Speaker 3: It'll never happen. I mean, I'm extremely competitive.
Speaker 2: To this day. I don't need to be. My wife says you shouldn't be, but you don't turn it off. It's every day. That's why I say every day is a super Bowl. It has to be. That's probably the way it is for most of these athletes. And though even playing these golf tournaments twenty five years after they've played there, just as competitive. I mean, I told you the story about playing with Drew Brees. We're playing at the Tahoe Golf Event American Century. Holy smokes, it was if this was the super Bowl at stake. He was that competitive. But I appreciate that. All Right, See, let's pull question for hour two.
Speaker 3: We're going to put up there. We got two for hour two. All right, free agent quarterback?
Speaker 5: You would sign Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, Jamis Winston, Gardener, Minshew. We also have one here from Paul whose.
Speaker 3: Career would you want? Ooh, ooh, Bob Hurley, Dan Hurley. Wow.
Speaker 2: Dan Hurley was just featured on sixty Minutes on Sunday. Bobby Hurley's trying to hold onto his job at Arizona State. So in the same week, one brother's on sixty minutes and the other one is on the hot seat. But if you look back third, you know this is like a child actor. Childhood actor, they're like, oh man, they were on totally raven or you know whatever. Throw out a Hannah Montana, Oh yeah, that's so raven, Like Haley Joel Osmon in the sixth sense and then all of a sudden, they grow up and they go what happened to him? Bobby Hurley was a Disney star. He was the best point guard in America. You played for Duke, you got drafted by the Kings, your NBA career cut short. But what he did in that window at Duke household name Hall of Famer. Meanwhile, Danny, I would never wish what happened to Danny Hurley on anybody, even somebody you didn't like. The shadow was enormous. He was nowhere near the basketball player of his brother that his brother was. He got mocked, they would chant not your brother, I believe, And he went through an awful lot, and then all of a sudden he started coaching. And you know, he's always had the chip on his shoulder. He always will because his father one of the most successful high school coaches in America in history, and then his brother with his basketball career, and then all of a sudden, Danny found his identity as a head coach, and now he's the face of college basketball. They won two national titles. Todd, you can be Bobby Hurley or Danny Hurley up until this point, right now today, I would.
Speaker 4: Say I'd rather be a championship player as opposed to championship coach. So every day I'm gonna go, uh, I'm gonna go Bobby Hurley winning as a player on the court, not coaching champion.
Speaker 3: Seaton Bobby all day.
Speaker 5: Like you said, I wouldn't wish what happened today any Hurley when he was eighteen to twenty well really forty something right up until he just became a great coach. I wouldn't wish that on anybody. And Bobby Hurley, he's in the position right now of you know, I just can't teach these kids to be as great as I was, you know, and maybe I'm a better player than I am a teacher, but you know I can do it. But I just I'm having a hard time showing these kids what I was able to do.
Speaker 2: And the analogy Paulie made this was a couple of weeks ago with Kieran Cauchin winning the Academy Award. He was in succession. He won for a Real Pain as the Best Supporting Actor and then his brother McAuley Cauchin was this unbelievable child star and you don't see him in anything but Kieran it feels like has had it's not even a resurgence. He didn't have a surgeons to have a resurgence. But McCauley Cochin was one of the biggest childhood stars ever, and so you could kind of see an analogy there with Danny Hurley and Bobby Hurley, Marvin, who do you take?
Speaker 8: I take Danny only because Bobby's prime was from nineteen to twenty two.
Speaker 2: If Danny Hurley won two national titles at Seaton Hall and not Connecticut, who would you take.
Speaker 8: I'd take the guy whose prime was later, Bob. Bobby Hurley's prime was from.
Speaker 2: So you'd still take Danny Hurley even if he wasn't coaching at your alma mater.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, okay, because it's now okay, you're talking about something that he did thirty years ago.
Speaker 2: No need to yell oh sorry, d Py forgive me, yes, Palie, it's pretty close.
Speaker 7: But I'd go with Bobby Hurley. The one caveat for Hurley is he didn't get to play five, six, seven years even as a decent point guard. Who knows if he would have been an All Star, but my guess he'd been one of those guys who played twelve years, had a nice career and it was taken away from him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you've seen a car accident when he was playing for the Kings, yes, Todd.
Speaker 4: But I would also take McAuley Culkin over Kieran culchan because every Christmas that he's like a legend, even though it was years ago when he was a kid, and maybe things aren't as great for him career wise as back then. But what if you're part of something that iconic that everyone could relate to for years and years. To me, McCauley's more special.
Speaker 2: Okay, but would you want to be Peter Billingsley who was Ralphie in a Christmas story Every Christmas it plays all the time.
Speaker 5: Yes, it's a funny point too though. But Kieran Culkin is also in Home Alone. He's a little he's like the little brother, the cousin who always wets the bed. Yeah, he's also in that. Kieran was in a lot of I think McCauley's movies too.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very very very very secondary roles, small roles, Yeah, definitely, yeah, but he was working. I would take Danny Hurley because it is now he's won a couple of national titles, they're not going to win the national title this year, but you've gone back to back and I like how. During the sixty minutes interview, John Worthheim is asking Danny Hurley about, Hey, how many of your players are already talking to other schools about transferring? And he gives you a number. John Wortheim fails to as Danny Hurley, Hey, you're the king of the transfer portal. How many players have you spoken to about replacing the players who may be wanting to go someplace else? So he missed opportunity with John to ask, because that's what basketball is. Danny Hurley gets one big recruit and then he brings in transfer portal players.
Speaker 3: They all do that, so it's.
Speaker 2: Like he can lament the fact, Oh, I'm losing all these players. Are you losing them or do they know that maybe you want to replace them? What happens first there?
Speaker 8: Yes, Marvin, Yeah, I'm definitely gonna say replaced because I just saw the McDonald's All American listens and you kind of has three McDonald's All Americans coming in this year.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Danny Hurley probably just said, yeah, so guys, I got these three five stars coming in, So yeah, if you guys want to take a look at other schools, be my guest.
Speaker 2: All right, well, talk a little bit more about Tiger Woods. He's out now for probably a year. Joey Bosa goes to Buffalo, DeAndre Hopkins to the Ravens. We still don't have an update yet on Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson. But we'll talk to Dominique Foxworth, one of the smartest football minds on TV. He'll join us coming up here in a little bit. Jason Garrett, former Cowboys coach, a little bit later on as well.
Speaker 3: We'll take a break. We're back after this Dan Patrick show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 9: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 10: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 9: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 10: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 6: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind.
Speaker 9: The stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well, other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 10: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years still work together. I mean that says something, right.
Speaker 9: So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: More phone calls coming up, update the pole results, Steven A. Smith still talking about Lebron. We'll have that for you and I'll give you some thoughts on that coming up as well. Each seven to seven to three DP show. I want my Money's money's worth back. I didn't get my money's worth watching it, but I want my money back. On Zaga in the West Coast, Conference, they beat Saint Mary's.
Speaker 3: The Zags were one for fifteen from three point range.
Speaker 2: Saint Mary's made as many threes as I did last night, for sixteen, had eighteen turn Saint Mary's going to look at this and go like, oh my god, could we have played any worse? I think they had eighteen turnovers and they didn't make a three pointer. As a Gonzaga and this is another year. What is it like thirteen or fourteen consecutive years that Gonzaga has won at least twenty five games?
Speaker 3: Remarkable? What Mark Few continues to do.
Speaker 2: He's Dominique Foxworthy, ESPN writer, commentator for Escape, and former NFL cornerback. You can see him the Dominique Foxworth Show in season football podcast three times a week, and also a regular with Get Up with h Who is that? Mike Greenberg? I think is the host of that program?
Speaker 3: Right? Is that right?
Speaker 6: Donald?
Speaker 3: Mike Greenberg? Mike Greenberg? Yeah? How you doing?
Speaker 11: I feel like there's a lot of subtexts there that I'm not gonna ask any question.
Speaker 3: No, No, I like Greeney, I like it Greedy absolutely.
Speaker 6: I like green I'm doing I'm doing really well.
Speaker 11: I do think that I heard a little bit of a life segment, and I feel like you guys are giving Bobby Hurley a little short shrift. I don't know, like it's I feel like what you're deciding between is a longer run or a higher peak, Because, to be honest with you, I was a pretty good.
Speaker 6: College football player.
Speaker 11: Can you imagine how awesome it was to be a two time national champ white basketball player in the nineties.
Speaker 6: I think that Bobby Hurley probably, I think.
Speaker 11: He probably had a good time.
Speaker 6: Dude got a pretty good time.
Speaker 2: Okay, you would rather have Bobby Hurley's career than Danny Hurley's. No, I'm just saying, I wait a minute, No, we're not. I know what Bobby did. I'm talking about. You got to make a decision. Are you gonna be Danny Hurley or you're gonna be Bobby Hurley?
Speaker 11: So is do I want to have a higher peak or a longer run? Because I think they both probably have enough money to be comfortable. Obviously Danny's made more money and as well as revered.
Speaker 6: I guess it is what.
Speaker 11: Benefits you prefer more the short run benefits you. A question the question you you advertise me as a smart guy, So I think the answer.
Speaker 6: I think the answer is probably yeah.
Speaker 11: As at forty one year old married man, the answer is Danny.
Speaker 6: I want to be Danny, and he seems like a responsible choice.
Speaker 2: All Right, would you rather be Karen Caulkin or mcaulay caulkin.
Speaker 6: It's easy.
Speaker 11: It's Karen Caulkin because being a star when you're eight like that stinks.
Speaker 6: You get extra candy, it's.
Speaker 11: Not fun, and I mean you inevitably have all these other difficulties that child's stars have. I much rather be an adult, successful Oscar winning actor than the dude from a home alone.
Speaker 2: All right, what are the Niners doing? And is it time to panic? If you're a Niner fan.
Speaker 11: Yeah, we've been thinking about this a lot because I think part of this is I don't think it's time to panic because you.
Speaker 6: Have Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch, two.
Speaker 11: People that are obviously very good at their jobs, and Kyle Shanahan is going to manufacture some level of offense out of whatever he has. The real question is are they going to be able to rebuild that defense? The defense has always been kind of the quiet key to the success that they've had there, and it's fallen off recently and they lost more players. But I think the question came up, should they should they trade Christian McCaffrey and try to accrue draft picks. That's a thing that we discussed on my show, honestly, and then also on Get Up Today. And I've been fighting against the tankification of everyone in media, where it's like either you win a championship or you trade everything and blow everything up. I think that might work as a strategy in basketball and football. It just hasn't proved to be successful. If you look around at all the good competitive teams, none of them completely bottomed out their roster, well, not.
Speaker 6: Intentionally at least.
Speaker 11: I guess the Bengals might have bottomed out their roster because the Bangals just were poorly run. But all of the good successful teams like maintained some level of competence and built from that. So the idea that the forty nine ers or anybody frankly like I even would defend keeping Miles Garrett, that anybody should as a strategy just completely get rid of any semblance of competence in hopes that you'll get enough draft picks and you'll build something up.
Speaker 6: It just doesn't work in football.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you mentioned the Browns, but it feel they weren't even taking offers.
Speaker 6: Domini, right, Yeah, I mean I get it.
Speaker 11: I think that there's a reasonable way to go about a rebuild. I think the thing that I've come to and people talk about culture a lot, but culture is really important to big organizations in football, and to be clear, culture to me is like the accepted behaviors and activities, processes and an organization. And it is impossible to maintain a culture in a locker room of sixty players, twenty five coaches in the front offices if you are constantly throwing people out. The basketball team is slightly different. You bring in one really good player who has the proper mindset, and the culture around.
Speaker 6: The fifteen guys changes immediately.
Speaker 11: I do think there's something to be said for understanding that when you land in an organization, this is how we do things. And like I played for the Ravens, I played for the Broncos under Mike Shanahan. These were places where when I showed up, I knew how things were done and even though we weren't always great, like I understood, and you see, the Ravens are team that has had a pretty consistent leadership, and they've managed to transition from era to era and still have that culture.
Speaker 6: I think that's really important.
Speaker 11: As Steelers, you point to them, and there's a lot of teams that I think can fall into this category, and they happen to also be the teams that are consistently competitive.
Speaker 2: But do you think we've gotten to a point, though, Dominique with the Steelers that they have to do things that are not traditional, Like you brought in you spent a lot of money, and you bring in DK Metcalf, you might bring in Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It just feels like, hey, we can go nine and eight, and go nine and eight and again. How about we try to go ten and seven, eleven and six.
Speaker 3: How about we win a playoff game? How do we do that?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: How about we do something different this year?
Speaker 11: I agree with you, and I think a lot of the analytics and football has pushed everyone to try to make these risk optimizing decisions, which I think are great generally. But to your point, like leadership is sometimes making a decision with your plums, like make a decision, like an aggressive decision that flies in the face, sometimes it's going to sign a running back for more than what running backs go because in trading for Christian McCaffrey, we talk about the forty nine ers that accelerated that team, but everyone at the time was like, why would you trade for running back? And then you point to the same situation with the Falcons. Why would you draft a quarterback when you already have one that you paid a bunch of money. It seems like they're in a better position now had they just stuck with Kirk Cousins. You can go through the list of times when people have made these kind of irrational seeming decisions. But I do think that it's about making calculated gambles, and that would be in Pittsburgh. I think you're alluding to Aaron Rodgers as a selection like that. To me, as long as they are not convinced that it one works, as long as they are aware that this is a calculated gamble that they think is worth making, I think it's fine. It's one and only organizations that I think is stable enough that that can bring in some unique personalities like Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 2: Dominique Foxworth from ESPN The Dominique Foxworth Show, You can see him on Get Up with Mike Greenberg as the host of Get Up There. But if I'm Aaron Rodgers, well, I'm trying to figure this out. If I'm Aaron Rodgers, how do I convince the Vikings I can make this work? And if I'm the Vikings, do I need to be convinced that this is a chance. If I'm Aaron Rodgers, That's where I want to go. If I can get Minnesota to go, Hey, you know what, we can have a Jordan Love transition here and you come in as long as you're willing to help him get better. That makes you a whole lot more of a playoff super Bowl contender than JJ does. I think, to start out, can this work in Minnesota? Would you take that chance?
Speaker 11: I wouldn't take that chance, But I think when I am I'm not sure that it's the wrong it's not the wrong chance to take. To get back to the idea of sometimes you just got to make these kind of riskier decisions. I think when I make decisions in my life and when I'm evaluating decisions that other people have made, often think about, like, what is the worst possible outcome of either of these forks? In the road that I go down, and which of these worst possible outcomes am I more comfortable living with? And I think that's how you can look at it, because you can realize, like this, this could turn out really bad. And that's why if I were the Vikings, I wouldn't choose Aaron Rodgers as my bridge quarterback because I think the worst possible outcome.
Speaker 6: Is one that I'm not comfortable living with.
Speaker 11: If I don't go Aaron Rodgers, the worst possible outcome is we were wrong on JJ McCarthy and we don't make a championship run and we're back looking for a quarterback next year. I like that a little more than what happened to the last organization that Aaron Rodgers joined.
Speaker 3: As a former defensive back.
Speaker 2: Tell me, and I don't know if you've broken this down to be fair to you, but tell me what you see with cam Ward and tell me what you see with Shador Sanders. Yeah, and the separation between those two. The big biggest differences are what.
Speaker 11: Yeah, there are trends that happened in the league and at one point, Shador standards would have been a much more attractive option, I think in this league because of how he feels like a more trustworthy, conventional, consistent type of player. But what we've seen recently in the league is the high end athleticism and explosiveness and the big playability. The creativity is what's going to drive you to the top of draft, and that's what it is with cam Ward. You're going to get the high end in the low and and as much as I think turnovers are an incredible predictor of who's gonna succeed in the game, which more what is more important that is big plays.
Speaker 6: So I will take.
Speaker 11: The turnovers occasionally, the inconsistent play and hope that we can coach it out of them and be really happy to have the high end explosiveness with his legs in with his arms, like the throws that cam Ward is making and the plays that he makes his highlight tape, it's as good as anybody you see. If you pick out his ten best plays, you would assume that he is being revered like Caleb Williams was last year. He has that type of ability, and I think that's the difference is teams are willing to take the risk of the downside because the upside risk or the upside potential is so great.
Speaker 2: But I don't understand where a team goes. We got to get a quarterback, and you will spend a top ten draft pick on maybe Shude or Sanders, but you're not sure whereas I could there a guy that I know are going to play in the league probably for seven to ten years and probably be all pro. Right, But I think, why do Jams continue to do this that you don't have to get your quarterback this year? Why not get a player that like if you say I have Abdul Carter, I feel pretty good, Yeah, Travis Hunter, I feel pretty good. I like there's probably seven to ten of those guys that you can name right away, and you go like, I'm good here.
Speaker 11: I wholeheartedly agree with you. The problem is the other strategy, essentially the lottery ticket strategy, Like Jayden Daniels. You just have to see it once every ten years for a coach or an organization to fall like like Washington. I live in Washington, DC. Washington was very far away from being competitive. Jayden Daniels shows up there in the NFC Championship game, and I think that coaches and general manders see that, and then we look at Miles Garrett Miles. Garrett could be considered one of the best defensive players ever, and you would have traded him, honestly for a consistent starter at quarterback. The impact of your team would have been greater if you had, like a legitimate consistent starter at quarterback then having an all time great defensive end. That's as outrageous as it is. Like that, I think explains I don't know that it is. I don't know if it's the right decision, but I think that explains why teams are so willing to roll the dice.
Speaker 2: But Shador is not Jayden Daniels, right, Jayden Daniels is Jaden Daniels. Everybody talked about his talent. That's why when people are like Washington's fine, They're gonna sit at number two because they knew what they had at number two, and Caleb Williams can turn out to be a great quarterback, that draft was different.
Speaker 11: I mean, I think, right I would push back on you because like, who's the Let's say, Geno Smith is like a mediocre quarterback, as stupid as it may sound to you, and it does sound to me, as I fixed my lips to say it, Geno Smith playing mediocre quarterback play will improve your team's success more than someone like Miles Garrett. So like I understand that if they get a quarterback that is a legitimate starter, someone that for whom you don't have to shop every year, like you feel like your team.
Speaker 6: You've added a win and a half maybe.
Speaker 11: To your team, you don't really change the trajectory of your team with certain players.
Speaker 2: Like it's obviously I wouldn't have kept Miles Garrett. I mean, I gotta be honest with my fans. I gotta be honest with my team. You know, if you said I got Geno Smith as my quarterback and I get you know, four first round picks or something in the future, as long as you trust management to make good draft picks that make that makes better sense for me. Miles Garrett may gave you fifteen sacks, great, he gave you fifteen sacks last year, and you guys were terrible, Like, nothing is going to change with that. You need a quarterback. I'd bring in Kirk Cousins. I'd bring in Kirk Cousins and say, all right, here, you go, give me, give me a one or two years here, let's see what we can do. Elsewhere, but Miles Garrett at forty million dollars.
Speaker 11: Right, So you're we started this as a draft conversation, but now you're arguing that you should take Abdul Carter, I guess, or take a more shore player at a different position and then go sign a veteran quarterback.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 11: The challenge with that is because quarterbacks are so rare veteran quarterback but I don't want to see so much money. But I'm reaching.
Speaker 2: It feels like with Shador Sanders and maybe cam Ward, I got Yeah, just because you're the best quarterback in the draft doesn't mean you're gonna be one of the best quarterbacks. And look, the draft is littered every single year with this philosophy.
Speaker 3: And I get it.
Speaker 2: You want the lottery ticket. Only one person wins the lottery though normally, and you're gonna you're gonna try to win the lottery with cam Ward going to Tennessee, Well, good luck with that.
Speaker 3: You're not winning anything anytime soon.
Speaker 6: I think it's like moral hazard is what it is.
Speaker 11: Essentially, is like I think that you are making these decisions that I think optimize for success over the long run.
Speaker 6: Nobody has a long run. The guys who are making the decisions.
Speaker 11: They got three years, got three years to show some promise, and drafting an all pro d lineman is not going to show nearly as much promise as finding.
Speaker 6: A quarterback that's serviceable.
Speaker 11: That's how the game has been designed, that nothing's more valuable than a serviceable style.
Speaker 2: Jones is serviceable, right, Yeah, I guess. Okay, so I could have I could have had Daniel Jones. I could have brought in Sham Darnald at a reasonable price. Then I could have traded Miles Garrett.
Speaker 6: Whoa You said, at a reasonable price. That's where you're wrong.
Speaker 2: No, Sham Donald is a reasonable price. He's getting twenty seven and a half million dollars for the next two years. You wouldn't take Sam Donald to twenty seven million next No, I.
Speaker 11: Take Sam Donald at twenty seven million next year. And that's again, Sam Donald has his choice of places to go. Sam Donald is not gonna choose to come to your franchise. Okay, where you had so.
Speaker 2: Like the situation, aren't issis doesn't cost you anything. If they release him, you can sign him for the minimum. Would you take Cousions as quarter Okay, that's what I'm sure.
Speaker 6: To absolutely take Kirk Cousins. I'm not my quarterback.
Speaker 2: I don't want to reach the Russell Wilson situation. Okay, would you take Russell Wilson as your starting quarterback in Cleveland?
Speaker 11: I would take Russell Wilson as a starting quarterback in Cleveland. The Cleveland situation is different though, because they do they already have the cap space tied up in a quarter That situation is uniquely bad. But I generally agree with you. From building a franchise is no Again, the best quarterbacks in football. You can't think of any except for Joe Burrow, who started out in bad situations.
Speaker 6: They all start out in good situations.
Speaker 11: I think it's full it's for all these bad teams to think that they can draft Lebron James. Most of these quarterbacks developed in situations that were already good.
Speaker 6: Patrick Mahomes best in the league.
Speaker 11: He came into a team that won the division, like the Bills went to the playoffs the year before. The Ravens got Lamar at the end of the draft. Dak Prescott came into a ready loaded team. Like all these really good teams or good quarterbacks came in a good situation.
Speaker 6: So I agree that you're right.
Speaker 11: I'm just trying to explain why they make these decisions that appear irrational.
Speaker 6: It's like they're rolling the dice and hoping that they hit.
Speaker 2: Was that kind of like a get up segment there, that we were like fake yelling at each other. I don't know if you liked it, but we didn't. But you know what we didn't do. We didn't mention the Cowboys, So it's not a get up segment there.
Speaker 11: I said, Dak, I score, don't don't try to get me fired from the worldwide leader. I know my responsibility. I even said they're looking for Lebron James in the.
Speaker 6: Draftball time what I'm doing.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Dominic, no problem man, thanks a lot, dam Dominique Worth The Dominique fox Worth Show. Yeah, he worked in, Dak worked in Lebron. That's sneaky. Great there you can shame on get up with Mike Greenberg. Take a break back.
Speaker 1: After this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Time to play in or out. You're either in or you're out, Pauli's your host.
Speaker 3: You can't be both Dan as much as we'd like you to have to be. In or out.
Speaker 6: Here we go.
Speaker 7: If he joins the Steelers, Aaron Rodgers will make the Steelers noticeably better.
Speaker 6: Fritzy, I'm in on that.
Speaker 3: See you think he's got a lot to prove.
Speaker 6: Extremely out, extremely out, Mars really really out.
Speaker 7: I'm in okay. Second part question a little philosophical. Lots of sports media people don't like Aaron Rodgers, and that's affecting how they view of him as a quarterback.
Speaker 6: In or out.
Speaker 4: I wanna say you end on that.
Speaker 8: I'm out, Marvin, I'm out.
Speaker 3: I'm out. Here we go.
Speaker 7: I'd rather have Tiger Wood's career than Tom Brady's career in or out.
Speaker 3: Wow, Wow, Todd.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna take Tom Brady's ten Super Bowls, winning seven of them.
Speaker 3: Seatan, I'm out. I'll take Brady. Okay, Marvin out Brady, out Brady.
Speaker 7: What if I replaced Tom Brady with Lebron James, same answer, Todd, I.
Speaker 4: Would take Tiger there.
Speaker 6: I think.
Speaker 3: Seaton the way it's between Lebron and Tiger.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'll take Lebron.
Speaker 2: Marvin Lebron. I'm gonna say, I'm gonna take Tiger. I'm gonna take Okay, here we go.
Speaker 7: LA Dodgers manager Dave Roberts just signed a contract extension one another World Series going very well. LA Dodgers manager Dave Roberts has the best, slashed easiest job in sport.
Speaker 6: Wow, no offense.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 7: My premise there is that the Dodgers spend truckloads a dough have a pipeline, two Japanese stars, and it makes his job.
Speaker 6: Comfortable.
Speaker 3: Todd in or out.
Speaker 2: I'm going to go in on that, Okay, Seaton very out, Marvin out, I'm out because he has to win the World Series every year. That's how he's graded, right, every year he must win the World Series. Why didn't you win the World Series? You have all this money, you spend more than everybody. Look at all the talent you got. I don't think it's an easy job. I think the regular season is easy, postseason very difficult.
Speaker 7: Follow up question for those who said out, who has a better, slash easier job than Dave robertson sports.
Speaker 3: Me, I'm oh Andy Reid. I don't think any of these are easy. Now, Okay, just how about better, just better, Marvin.
Speaker 8: Sho Hao Tani's new interpreter, just.
Speaker 6: Show up and interpret.
Speaker 3: Any other inners.
Speaker 7: Yeah, the Boston Celtics are going to roll to another title.
Speaker 3: In or out, Todd.
Speaker 4: I am out.
Speaker 6: I don't think it's going to be that easy.
Speaker 3: Out Marvin out than that rolling out.
Speaker 7: Lastly, I'd rather go to the final four college basketball Final four, all three games, then go to the super Bowl in or out, Todd.
Speaker 4: I'd rather go to the Final four in the championship game over the super Bowl, Seaton.
Speaker 3: M I'd rather go to the final four, two Marvin, final four.
Speaker 2: Let's say super Bowl. That's in or out, Dan, Yeah, that's in around. I remember going to Well, I should say I remember now, I hope I remember where I was San Antonio and I was out at a bar and I walk in and the guy goes, hey, are you here to see coach? I said, uh, coach?
Speaker 3: Who?
Speaker 2: He goes, Rick Majeris, who was the coach at Utah. And I go around the corner and he's sitting by himself. I said, uh, And I had known Rick for a while. I said, what are you doing?
Speaker 3: He goes. I had to get out of my room. He goes, I couldn't watch it. I think he was.
Speaker 2: They were playing North Carolina. Maybe, he goes, I couldn't keep watching highlights. He goes, I had to get out of my room. So he was sitting there, and I don't know what day it was. Maybe it was a Friday and they had to play the next day. But there he was, and he said, I just I'm watching too much game film.
Speaker 8: Yes, Mark, I feel the same way if I had to watch Vince Carter and Antoine Jamison for three hours, you know.
Speaker 2: And he's like, I just had to clear my mind. He wasn't eating anything, he wasn't drinking anything. He was just sitting there, and I just those jobs are tough, man, I think, you know, even when like John Wooden, he had to win a championship every year. That's what you know, Ryan Day at Ohio State, you gotta beat Michigan. You got to compete for a NAT every single year, even though you have resources, great recruits.
Speaker 3: Stephen A.
Speaker 2: Smith still talking about Lebron James, will talk about Steven A talking about Lebron James.
Speaker 3: Coming up. Final hour Dan Patrick Show