Speaker 1: Oh my god, it's a reveal. I love a reveal.
Speaker 2: Yes, so good, we're here, gosh, I'm here with my mittens.
Speaker 1: Yes, I am ready to go to Hawaii. You are ready to go to Vermont.
Speaker 2: And for those of you who are not following us or watching us on social media, Sabrina right now is dressed in her best Hawaiian en psalm, including puka shells.
Speaker 1: And I went on Amazon and purchased.
Speaker 3: Did you really nice?
Speaker 1: I love that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, part of me is relieved that those weren't already in your wardrobe. And then I am dressed for mountain. I've got my ski hat, mittens, my zip up shirt, and my of course, my scarf. The one thing that is slightly embarrassing is the mittens, the hat, and the scarf.
Speaker 3: I borrowed all from my wife.
Speaker 1: Oh you look like a snow buddy. Yeah you ready? I am? Are you?
Speaker 2: I do?
Speaker 1: I look ready? Yes you do.
Speaker 3: I am ready to go.
Speaker 2: As everybody can probably tell, this week, we are hanging ten and hitting the slopes with a Disney legend and a dcom must see. It is time, everybody for a little Johnny tsunami. It's so strange to do this in full mittens. This is a nineteen ninety nine Disney Channel original movie. It debuted on July twenty fourth, ninety nine, and it's a beer we think is Sabrina's favorite d com. Is that are we close to being able to say that this is your favorite one?
Speaker 1: I I'm going for it. I okay, I love this movie. It's got two of my favorite activities to do, surfing and snowboarding.
Speaker 3: Wow, so it wrapped up in one film.
Speaker 2: Now. When people heard we were doing this podcast, this was one of the most asked about movies. This and Brink, which is it's a bit of a spiritual sibling to Brink. Yet to say Brink with some obvious similarities and a major focus on extreme sports. You might say that Brink walked so that Johnny Tsunami can run.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 3: And in the Complex.
Speaker 2: Magazine Top twenty five d com list we talked about this before, this was number two, and on Entertainment Weekly's countdown they had it at number ten out of thirty.
Speaker 3: So this is an absolutely beloved title, and not just by my co host Sabrina.
Speaker 2: Actually, before we get into this, I'm gonna take off all this stuff because it's it's normally hot in my booth, and now it's ridiculously hot in my booth.
Speaker 3: So I'm gonna so walk me through it.
Speaker 2: Walk you are a young Sabrina and on your screen comes Johnny Tsunami.
Speaker 3: Tell me about it. What happens in your life when you see this movie?
Speaker 1: Okay, So first of all, I knew it was coming out because I auditioned for.
Speaker 3: This, did you really?
Speaker 1: I did. I auditioned and got several callbacks later on a couple of years later.
Speaker 3: Actually, Emily, obviously you auditioned for a part of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and no for Johnny.
Speaker 2: You never know, they could have gone a different route, could have gone a different route, right.
Speaker 1: Actually, I would have loved that, And I remember being really excited. Well I was excited because of snowboarding, but at that time I was really into surfing. I loved it, and so I on my resume had I could snowboard and I could serve. So I really thought I was like gunning you were in. I thought I was in because I really could, you know, and I loved it. It was something. Both of those things are vacation things that my family and I did a lot, you know, going up to big Bear.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, and both you could do in California on Johnny Who who could you can go one place or the other?
Speaker 1: One place or the other you could do you could.
Speaker 2: You could surf in one place and ski in the other, but you couldn't do both.
Speaker 1: Whereas we live and the same day, in the same day, you can start at sunrise and then head up to the mountain. It's amazing. So I do remember this movie once it came out, obviously bombed. I didn't get the role because it was looked like it was gonna be such a fun movie with a bunch of kids, like a huge, you know, cast of young actors, so which is always fun to film. And I remember loving it, loving it, thinking it was so cool that they were letting a young cast do a movie like this instead of it being a bunch of you know about a pro surfer, a pro border This is just like kids that just love it. And I thought Brandon was great in it. He was so sweet. I loved his character in it. But you know, during the audition process, he had been auditioning quite a bit, so I knew him a little bit, not too but a little bit. During the audition process. So I remember when it came out, I was just really excited that this was gonna be one of the biggest things he had done at that point, right, this was a huge, huge opportunity for him.
Speaker 2: So rewatching it twenty five years later, did it hit all the same buttons that did when you first watched it? Was?
Speaker 3: Was it as good? Do you remember it the same or absolutely?
Speaker 1: I don't remember being able to tell that that was not in fact the actors surfing or snowboarding so often. Yeah, that didn't hit me back in the day where the first scene of the when he's riding the wave, I'm like, that guy's like, he looks like he's at least half a foot taller than Brandon, you know, out on that surfboard. So that I didn't catch on to when I was younger.
Speaker 3: You don't notice that.
Speaker 2: Which is the thing about Brink that was so amazing was that they shot it seamlessly, so you could never tell who was the actor who was the stunt person. Yes, and this was after it was after break. Yeah, this one not as good.
Speaker 1: No, The difference in that in that regard how that was you know, executed, was not on the level as Brink was and I don't remember that back then.
Speaker 3: So the difference.
Speaker 2: Again, We talked about this because I know some people were a little upset with my critiques of Brink, And what people have to remember is I am watching these with no nostalgia attached. I was older when these came out, so I'm just watching them as movies, and I have to remember that that I you know, people are very attached to these films. But that being said, I really liked this movie.
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 2: I really liked Johnny Tsunami. I thought this story was great. He is one of the most not just him, but he and his grandfather are essentially two of the most likable characters that have ever been on a Disney Channel movie.
Speaker 1: Why was that man not my grandfather? Sorry? I love my grandfather, but oh my god, how cool?
Speaker 3: It's great? Yet No, he was so cool.
Speaker 2: But it was also like, you know, there's you get into these things where hey, we have to move, and the obvious character is to kind of the writing. The normal writing of a film like this would be I can't believe we're moving. I have so much going on here. Johnny just kind of took everything in stride. He's like, okayre He's like, you're moving in a week.
Speaker 1: He's like, okay, that was one of my first things.
Speaker 2: I'm like, okay, guess well, wait, well we got we'll get we'll get into all the specifics.
Speaker 3: We'll get in all this.
Speaker 2: Before we get there, let's just welcome you to Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pjs and your popcorn and go back to a time when all the houses were smart. The Waves tsunamis Yes, we've been saying.
Speaker 3: That, and the high School's musical.
Speaker 1: I'm Wilford Dell and I'm Sabrina Brian bra Before.
Speaker 3: We wipe out, let's read the synopsis.
Speaker 2: Okay, So, Johnny Kappahala is a teen surfing sensation who's forced to move from Hawaii to a tiny ski resort town in Vermont when he gets caught in the middle of a long standing battle between the local prep school skiers and the public school snowboarders. With two of the greatest names by the Way, the Sky and then the Urchins.
Speaker 3: We'll get them all ye.
Speaker 2: His legendary grandfather helps him become the best athlete on the mountain. The movie has a bit of a Mandela effect because Johnny Tsunami is not actually the main character of the movie. Johnny Tsunami was his grandfather.
Speaker 1: And do you know that it takes a while to realize that. I mean, you know, and rewatching it, I'm like, that's right, that's his great that's not even him. So that is kind of funny, that is.
Speaker 2: And the other thing that's very strange is the actor who played his dad and the actor played his grandfather were like nine years of part in age.
Speaker 1: Uh really, yeah, so I didn't think you could tell that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the guy who the great played the grandfather was only nine years older than the guy who played his son.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: But the movie, we'll get into the cast.
Speaker 2: The movie stars Brandon Baker as Johnny Kappahala, the culture shock surfer now finding himself on the slopes. Brandon he played Mowgli in the nineteen ninety eight Disney Jungle Books beIN off Mowgli's story, and would later end up on a few episodes of Even Stevens and the Proud Family. He has since and I love kind of reading stuff like this. He's since completely retired from acting and is living in Colorado as a wedding efficiant.
Speaker 1: Could you imagine Johnny's tsunami doing your vows for you?
Speaker 3: How cool would that be?
Speaker 1: Where was this information five years ago when you got married, because I would have been calling Brandon, I need you to do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, bra Do you take this woman.
Speaker 1: To ride the wave for the rest of your life?
Speaker 3: The eternal barrel with you for the rest of your life.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Johnny's best friend is Sam, who is a public school snowboarder or an urchin played by the late Lee Thomas Young, who passed away in twenty thirteen at the age of twenty nine.
Speaker 3: He had an incredible resume when he passed away.
Speaker 2: He was from the Friday Night Lights movie over fifty episodes of Rosolian Isles, but was probably best known, especially to our fans, as the famous Jet Jackson on the Disney Channel original series of the same name, which was.
Speaker 3: His first role, is first role ever. He was the lead in his own Disney Really, I.
Speaker 1: Did not know that. That is unbelievable. What a great role to book from the get go, right from.
Speaker 3: The get go. But he was so good and so good in this movie.
Speaker 1: I love Sam, I too loved him. He was so sweet.
Speaker 2: One of my only criticisms, really, there's a couple small ones, but one of them was I would love to have met him earlier. I felt like we met the best friend a little bit, like they set it up that maybe it would be the Emily character, but then his best friend, who was like his boy the whole time.
Speaker 3: They I thought they could have brought him in a little.
Speaker 2: Sooner because he was such a good character and that the two of them were so great together that I would love to have seen more of that.
Speaker 3: Frankly, Yeah, so loved him. Yeah, he was amazing.
Speaker 1: I wish there would have been like some way that he could have stuck around too right, like not move.
Speaker 3: Right yet where at the end it kind of work.
Speaker 1: But again, that's one of the things I liked about.
Speaker 3: This movie was it was very real.
Speaker 2: You know, you're in a military family, Tuesday, you live somewhere Wednesday year somewhere else. Yeah, yeah, it was. I liked every aspect of that. And then Carrie Hero. Yuki Tagawa is Johnny Tsunami, the Hawaii surf legend. He's been in hundreds of things. You've seen him from Mortal Combat to Nash Bridges. He's all over TV. And movies for decades. He is a very famous character actor, and it's so strange to see him playing the good guy, which was pretty awesome.
Speaker 1: I loved it.
Speaker 3: I was sold yet me too.
Speaker 2: And then there's Kirsten Storms who plays the love interest Emily, who could have been Sabrina, was not. But she's also in the dcom classic Xenon Girl of the twenty first Century, which we will be watching because that's another one us we get asked.
Speaker 3: About all the time.
Speaker 2: She was a co star of mine, but we we never met the whole time. We did Kim Possible for years and years and years, and I don't think I have ever actually met. Uh. If I have and I forget, I'm sorry, she probably forgets me too. And she's now a soap operlar, you know, has become a so opera legend. Five years on Days of her Lives and now twenty years and running on General Hospital twenty years, on the same show as Maxie Jones. Wow, could you imagine being on a show for twenty years? How amazing is that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the run of The Cheetah Girls was seven years, and that felt like decades. I mean it felt way longer. So I can't even imagine what actually being on a show for decades would be like.
Speaker 3: And the you know, Boy Meets World was seven years.
Speaker 2: But you rehearse, rehearse, and then you shoot a day or two of the week for a soap opera, you're shooting every single dis.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's crazy because that's pretty hard work too. Oh, it's brutal way they go on And how quick they moved through pages a day. I went when I did Bowl and Beautiful, I had done quite a few, like guest starring things, but not on the pace that you have to have. I mean that that is awesome.
Speaker 2: You got to know your stuff, you got to know your character. You've got to know your lines.
Speaker 3: You're getting pages and pages day and.
Speaker 1: They changed the cold day and they change it and the morning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, anyway, I hope we get a chance to talk to her.
Speaker 2: And then Mary Page Keller is rounding out Johnny's mom, uh and Yuji Okamoto is his dad, his cold as ice dad, we'd like to say. And a lot of people probably know him as Chosen in the Karate Kid too.
Speaker 3: And then he brought the.
Speaker 2: Character back, of course for the new show that's that's on Cobra.
Speaker 1: Ka, which I remember when I first watched this. This is one of the things I couldn't get past that he was that guy and Karate Kid. I hated that guy in Karate Kid, so it was very hard.
Speaker 3: That's what makes him so good when.
Speaker 1: He comes on as Johnny, you know, the dad.
Speaker 3: So many bad people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm like, I don't like you already, sir, and you're not very nice to your son.
Speaker 2: Between Yuji and Hiroyuki, there are two legends at playing bad guys that came on.
Speaker 3: And played two very nice people.
Speaker 2: Because again talking about Brink, we laid into the dad character a little bit.
Speaker 3: It seemed a little more angry at the world.
Speaker 2: Yes, Ugi's character in this movie seemed more like he was angry at his own father, and so he was overcompensating with Johnny as opposed to being angry at him. He thought what he was doing was for the best, which lightened him up a little bit from Brinks Dad. But yeah, it was a great cast all the way around. I thought the bad guys were great at being bad guys, the good guys were great at being good guys.
Speaker 3: It was pretty great.
Speaker 2: It was directed by Steven Boyam, who was a stuntman for almost one hundred movies, including Days of Thunder, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, True Romance, and Groundhog Day. A true legend with all that stuff, and he would find himself as a director starting in nineteen ninety eight with TV movies like Johnny Ssnami, Motocrossed So good, Mom's got a date with a vampire. And now he's a TV director for shows like The Boys, Hawaii five o Ncis Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: Been working forever doing some huge projects.
Speaker 2: Yeah, from being I'm being a stunt person, moving all the way to director and everything in between. I'm sure, but another directing Disney Channel legend when you've got Motocross Tsunami and Mom's got to tate the vampire all stuck there. It is a tight eighty eight minutes. It is the perfect dcom run, which is close to the ninety minute mark.
Speaker 3: And it was it was.
Speaker 2: Nominated for the Humanitarians Prize in two thousand, which is great. Now, apparently, were you aware of this there's a sequel?
Speaker 1: No, I was not aware of it until I was on Disney Plus and there it was.
Speaker 3: And so you haven't watched yet, because we're gonna have to watch this at some point.
Speaker 1: Yes, I have not watched the sequel. I did neither.
Speaker 3: I didn't even know there was one.
Speaker 2: It's called Johnny Kappahala Back on the Board and was released in two thousand and seven with a lot of the same actors. Yes, so we're gonna have to check that.
Speaker 1: Out, absolutely, I am. I you know that took just the same way as Descendants. It took everything in me to not just go ahead and watch it because I loved rewatching the first one and it was like, where did we take these characters?
Speaker 3: Guess what happened next?
Speaker 1: Are they back in Hawaii for real? Like, oh, so awesome.
Speaker 2: You said at the beginning that you loved both surfing and skiing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which which one? Are you better at?
Speaker 1: Snowboard?
Speaker 3: Oh? So you you were urch was an urchin?
Speaker 1: You were an urchin, total urchin a sky. I started off skiing when I was little. I went for the first time when I was three. But by the time especially this movie came out, you know, junior high before then six about sixth grade, It's when I started snowboarding. And to be quite honest, that first scene of him trying out snowboarding was very, very close to what I look like on the poor Mammoth Mountain that whole week.
Speaker 2: That's what That's what That's true though, right, Is that what you look like the first time you're trying.
Speaker 3: You're catching edges and doing all this.
Speaker 1: So I didn't know how to stop. I only took a half day two of class where you're to do the full day. Apparently the second part of the day is when they teach you how to stop. So I had not learn how to stop. How I would stop was tuck and roll. Okay, okay, well does that work? Can I ask why you bailed on the class halfway through? Because I just I thought I thought I was good. I was like, I got this, I'm totally good. I'm totally good. We were up in Mammoth, we were staying close to a friend of my dad who had like an older son who was going to take us out onto the mountain after that like class, and so we took half the day and then he's like, you guys think you're good, like totally, let's go. I can't get no problem.
Speaker 3: I got it.
Speaker 1: And so my poor friend and I we also didn't know how to edge very well, just what they call leafing where you just go on your heels, so you go to the left and the right leafing, so you're just going back and forth this way, not going heel toe heel toe, which is what you're supposed to do.
Speaker 2: Is that another weight? What is leafing the thing you're supposed to do or are you supposed.
Speaker 1: To do when you don't know what you're doing? So he being on a heel on the mountain, using your heels into the ground is way easier. It's super comfortable. You can sit on the back of the board.
Speaker 3: Well, that's what he says to me.
Speaker 2: That's what he's as he's teaching them, totally, that's completely what he says to him, is like, yeah, you gotta in the front of the board, surfing back of the board.
Speaker 1: Otherwise you go straight down, which is what I did. Knocked out a couple of kids in their own ski school and tucked.
Speaker 2: Enrolled it, took out some skies on your way down, and then talking all all the way there.
Speaker 1: It was awful. I was terrible on that mountain and it was incredibly unsafe, but I made it, and I'm an okay snowboarder.
Speaker 3: Now I'm not.
Speaker 1: I'm no longer that level.
Speaker 2: No, that's me on any board. So I've never tried snowboarding. I can ski a little bit. I just learned how to stop like two years ago, okay, but I've tried surfing once in Hawaii and it was literally you know, the guy taking you out and pushing you into the wave and then going slap.
Speaker 1: Stop stand up. That was on the long board.
Speaker 2: That was That was my extent of doing that. But one of the things, much like Brink or any of the other movies that we've been watching, one thing I've noticed, especially from this era of the Disney Channel movies, the music is.
Speaker 1: Phenomenal, unbelievable. I don't remember being like thinking about the music. I don't know if because of where my career has taken me, I'm so intuned into music and soundtracks and scores. Again, I was blown away. They nail this. Scott like whoever was really picking the music at this point of Yes, the channels, like Wira hip was should have got a raise. So good, I mean you just the every montage of the snowboarding it was so good.
Speaker 2: It was like watching one of those Warren Miller videos of people back in the day snowboarding and skiing. I must have shazammed four different songs. Yes, as I was watching this.
Speaker 1: Movie they were. There is one really big song that was on the radio towards the end of the movie. Was it Dring. I'm trying to think. I wish I would have like jotted it down. Was it Fastballs the Way? Yes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that was that. That was a big one that they had there. But it was also like.
Speaker 1: It still comes on the radio. It did because it's great. Jeffrey's fan Club was there.
Speaker 2: I mean it was Jesse Camp who was the winner of MTVS Want to Be a VJ Contest. I mean it was you name it. This soundtrack hit it out of the park and it was perfect. We were talking about the Last Brink montage where all of a sudden there was like that slow song that came out of nowhere that took you out of it a little bit. Yeah, this was one song after another that was just brought you right into the boarding or the skiing.
Speaker 1: Or whatever totally. It did. It just swallows you into being in that era with the music that was the only thing you would really hear on the radio. I mean, you know, it just it was it was every choice was just spot on every choice.
Speaker 2: All the way around and all the way Now, since we're talking about the montages and we're talking about a lot of the snowboarding and skiing scenes and the surfing scenes, I guess we've mentioned this briefly, but this movie did not do nearly as well in hiding the stunt people.
Speaker 1: The stunts not even close.
Speaker 2: No, I mean, and I guess I guess with with rollerblading, it's quicker cuts and and there's people spinning very quickly, whereas the snowboarding scenes there's kind of big long shots where you're staying on them for a long time and you can really tell it's not them.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, okay, so here here's my take on it. Yes, agreed, the especially with surfing. With surfing, I think you are dead on what we're talking about. They're longer shots. He Also, the surfers also are only wearing trunks, right, So when you see the surfer's body and then it changes to Johnny's body, there's a giant difference, like of it looked like an older you know more, and then you got Johnny who it was so cute in the beginning of the movie. I loved to see that he was actually playing Mowgli because he kind of looked like like without a shirt on and his hair and everything kind of just chomping around. You have the hair, didn't he never wearing never wearing clothes like at the beginning.
Speaker 2: Also with the big smile on his face and that kind of he gives off the Mowgli kind of vibe of just being happy and loved it.
Speaker 1: But then so I saw that obviously at the beginning, But then I assumed because in snowboarding, how much you can maneuver around the mountain and they're fully clothed and they've got hats on. I would have thought that I would have noticed it, and it would have been hidden a lot better. Right that that was kind of surprising to me When it came with the surfing, I get it. But with the snowboarding, that was a little surprising to me because I thought that was more on the lines of the rollerblading me too, with the helmets and and.
Speaker 3: But it was it was really noticeable in this movie.
Speaker 2: And then the other not problem I had, but just kind of amazing thing is you look at We've talked about the differences in between what would be normal standards and practices back in the day compared to now where, like especially the skiers.
Speaker 1: Nobody's wearing a helmet. No one.
Speaker 3: The snowboarders grab some helmets, but the skiers are not a helmet in sight in the whole movie. They would never allow that nowadays, of course.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean the last one of the last times I went, I just hit some snow so hard and landed straight on my back, and I happened to do it right in front of like a ski patrol person. And the guy's like, ma'am, Okay, we'll just move past that. But he's like, ma'am, we might want to start thinking about wearing helme. Yeah, smart, true, I do now have children they need me. I probably should be a little bit safer.
Speaker 2: Well, speaking of falling, did you see the guy, So it's the first day that his friend Sam is teaching him how to snowboard, right, and so he puts Johnny on the board.
Speaker 3: He goes down the hill.
Speaker 2: He's getting a little better, and then he tries the halfpipe for his first time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he goes up a little bit and he falls backwards.
Speaker 2: But in the background, by about twenty feet somebody just goes up and wipes. Yes, I mean there is a hard hit to the point where even the actors.
Speaker 1: Was one of My Sabrinas sees, yeah, that was such a good moment. I rewound it. He wipes over over again. It was hilarious. I could, oh my gosh. Yes, you can.
Speaker 2: See the actors even looking yeah, like it's like, wow, that guy just wipe. I mean he comes down hard hard. I want to talk a little bit about some characters in the movie. Okay, starting with Jhanni'sunami himself. This guy is supposed to be a legendary Hawaiian surfer, but he's also supposed to be a quote unquote beach bum.
Speaker 3: His his own son is like, he's a surf bum.
Speaker 2: He does this, and yet he appears to live in this gorgeous house.
Speaker 1: Four feet from the water. My Sabrina sees, oh, he is like ocean front living in like pretty much not mansioned, but the.
Speaker 3: A nice place.
Speaker 1: Furniture is really nice. Like, I mean, there's that's what makes it kind of like, what's your dad's problem? Like the guy seems like he's got it together. He doesn't seem like he's a beach.
Speaker 3: Bumb Like, no, he might follow the surf or do what he's got to do. But he's obviously doing well for himself.
Speaker 1: Only he's got a second job of something, or those those competitions he is is paying him very.
Speaker 2: Well, or he found gold somewhere or something, because that guy's that's a multime.
Speaker 1: My house right on the water in Hawaii, right, I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, taking all your suprena seas you are.
Speaker 1: You really paying attention this?
Speaker 2: I saw some things in this one, but yeah, it's once again, and I think we've we've were starting to notice as we're unfolding these movies and we're watching one after another, we're starting to see some very real Disney Channel tropes. We've talked about annoying younger sister. We didn't didn't have that. We had a lot.
Speaker 1: It was an only child this episode, right.
Speaker 2: Only child, and so was Sam unless we don't know much about her her home life.
Speaker 3: Emily also appear.
Speaker 2: It seems like there was a bunch of kind of only childs, so they didn't have that trope. They do, however, still have the Dad's not a huge fan of the life choices that you're making.
Speaker 1: A dreams of your dream yet right, and the dream crusher.
Speaker 3: This guy was nicer about it.
Speaker 2: It almost seemed like they wrote it in such a way where he was angry at his.
Speaker 3: Own dad, So he was not taking that out on his son. He was never like mean to his son. It was more I'm.
Speaker 2: Going to, for your own good, move you away from this thing that I think is going to suck your life away.
Speaker 4: So it as a fourteen year old, right, So it seems like they lightened him up a little from the dad from Frank, but it's still that same kind of Disney trope of why I know you're good at this, but don't follow your dreams with the dad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, I am going to agree with you in the sense that it's lightened, but it's still to me is strange. It's just why you're a grown up and your kid likes to serve. He's not even asking to get out of school to serve or you know, he's doing this when he's done with school. He's not ditching to go do this. He's just enjoying now. He found a new passion. Yeah, you made him come here. Why wouldn't you be happy that he's just at least happy to be there. He's got a group of friends. Especially the first talk in Vermont happens after you see him at lunch eating by himself. Dad, Yes, hey, I found something that I like to do with a group of people that are willing to go do it with me as a new person. Why wouldn't you just be happy so that it wasn't as harsh, But it was still there and it's still stung to me a little bit.
Speaker 3: Me too. I agree with you one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: And the other thing that was so interesting was his dad didn't have a problem with him going with the skies to go skiing, right, He didn't have the problem until he started snowboarding with the urchins. Then it was like, oh, now he's going down the path that of being a snowbumb like his father was the beach bomb or you know.
Speaker 1: So it was too close to home with the board. If you'd get two skis, it's different the one board out of here.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it was more about status. It's like the class of I want you to you know. He dresses him in the when he finally gets a school uniform, He's like, hey, now you look like you could fit in better, right.
Speaker 1: Which, again I have I find it hard to believe that his dad grew up in some shack because it's not shown.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: No, it's not like he's having the new opportunity of being around you know, wealth, and you didn't seem like you came from anything much worse than right, you guys are.
Speaker 2: They didn't seem to make him like he was a kid from the wrong side of the tracks. They just made it from the other side of the country, which is two completely different things.
Speaker 3: But they also make Johnny so likable.
Speaker 2: I know everything about this kid, down to the down to like everything you would normally see in a Disney Channel movie, you know, the bad the quote unquote bad guys come to his locker. Johnny pulls out the magazine. They're like, what is this, and he's like, oh, great surfer magazine. You should check it out. Just give it back to me when you're done, like he was like sharing.
Speaker 1: By the way, page seventeen is a whole article on me. No big time Me never mentioned it.
Speaker 2: But he's just like he's just the nicest guy in the World's like, no, bro, I just you know, he wasn't this stereotypical, you know, fighting back against.
Speaker 1: Aggressive into it. No, although I would say the you know arch Nemesis here, there was a couple there was maybe one too many little little things that Johnny just kind of snaps at him as he's walking past him. Oh yeah, to not have a fight happen.
Speaker 3: I see what you're saying. He escalated it a bit, kind of got.
Speaker 1: Away with it about one too many times, right of like all right, yeah, I went to high school. That would not have gone down. You've you've now poked the bear too many times.
Speaker 2: Right, It's like Johnny has left you alone in karate kid, And why are you going to dump water on his head at the dance?
Speaker 3: Like he's left you well enough alone? Dude, what are you doing?
Speaker 1: Leave him alone?
Speaker 2: I think we should also briefly touch on the ridiculous number of times some of these characters almost died.
Speaker 1: Why do they almost die so many times? Why were they not more panicked when they were hanging off the mountain? Like hanging I'm okay off a mountain. He calls down to Emily, are you okay, I'm okay, I'm stuck. It would have been like, no, Sam, I am about to die off the edge of this cliff. There is nothing that's gonna catch me. This is it not I'm stuck. I yeah, that should have been a little bit more of an emergency situation.
Speaker 2: I agree with you one hundred. But it's also if so they bring her on the mountain for her. She shows up on the mountain. They don't bring her. She shows up by herself. She's like, I can do this. They're going down just a regular route, and then she takes a slight left to death as there's no there's I don't snowboard, I don't ski, so this could be how mountains are. I have no idea how everyone's probably going. No, this is what mountains are like. It just happened to turn left. You're now off the mountain.
Speaker 1: But damn, sometimes when you're snowboarding in skiing, you do kind of go, you know, Okay, this is not for a beginner. This got bens around me. This, you know, because it does go just drops off like that. There are signs, which they did show, Yes, she did not see. They did set show the signs. But on a board, especially with her being her first day on, she couldn't control it enough. It didn't matter if the signs were there. There was no walls.
Speaker 2: No, it was nothing it just she went like this, she slightly turned to the right and then and then down down. And that was the other thing is when they cut from what looked like a kind of peaceable, nice trip to then all of a sudden, her sliding down the face of a mountain a rock ledge.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh my, how far is this gonna go? I didn't know that they actually allowed people to die in Disney movie.
Speaker 2: I'm seriously, I mean crazy that she's hanging on all the stuff, the urchins, they're all helping her.
Speaker 1: But then.
Speaker 2: He rides down the mountain, saves her life, save Sam's life too, brings over to it, and.
Speaker 1: The next day at school, she's pissed at him. She's pissed at him. What Emily, Emily, Emily, this guy just saved her life after not inviting you. By the way, Yeah, you came on your own. This is your decision, and you're now pissed. That's when she lost me. This is the bar scene from Lesident's Done bol over again.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: It's the same thing. She lost me. I didn't like her anymore. I was done. I was done with Emily.
Speaker 2: She I thought, if I if I'm going to do any criticism of the movie.
Speaker 3: The two I had.
Speaker 2: The two big ones I had were one, I would like to have seen Sam earlier because I loved their dynamic yes and that best friend kind of vibe I would like to have seen more of. And two And I don't blame Kirsten and Storms for this at all. They didn't really develop her character nothing.
Speaker 3: No, she was his friend, then she wasn't his friend, then she was kind of his friend again, and that was that was it.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 3: There was no real kind of impetus to get her back into the movie at all.
Speaker 1: It was it was I wondering, but this movie, see no, because this movie filmed in nineteen ninety nine, and you said the sequel came out in two thousand and seven, So that's a big gap. So I was gonna say, because sub maybe I'm interested in if the same characters are in that sequel. Is this a romance? That was this just the start of it, with this idea that we're going to do a sequel and that's when we're going to go into the romance.
Speaker 3: Oh, I hate to.
Speaker 1: Tell you this.
Speaker 2: We just got we just got a message from our producer, Jensen Krts.
Speaker 3: She does not come back for the sequel.
Speaker 2: My guess is she tried to snowboard again and went down the other side of the mountain and couldn't grab.
Speaker 3: The rock this time, and that and Johnny wasn't there. Johnny wasn't there to help her this time because.
Speaker 1: He remembered how pissed she was the first time.
Speaker 3: Oh man, rest in peace, Emily.
Speaker 1: Oh that's so sad. Wow.
Speaker 2: So yeah, but I thought that same thing where it was just kind of they didn't really develop her at all, because I thought, you know, you get into the Disney Channel movie, you figure she okay, she's the best friend. They're setting her up as the best friend and she's going to help them incorporate anything, and then she's not, Like she's not. Fifteen minutes later Sam comes in, It's like, oh, there's the Oh that's the dynamic I was looking for. And so again, I just thought they could have done a little more with her character. Right.
Speaker 1: The biggest thing that for me was shocking when she was was because there was a moment when she first gets pulled up and the ski patrol is there and Johnny's the one that's right there. There's like a face to face moment that they have a little love connection. Yeah, and then she's upset, and then of course she jumped to the end where it's the awkward junior hiding scene. Oh that was that was rough.
Speaker 3: Still the only way I know how to dance.
Speaker 1: That was rough.
Speaker 3: That's it. That's how I dance all the time.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 3: And it's fun. That is not it. That is not it.
Speaker 2: It's great unless you're listening to the Stairway to Heaven and then the fast part starts in the middle and you don't know where to go from there because.
Speaker 1: You do it.
Speaker 2: My wife and I no joke, My wife and I at least once a week we awkward seventh grade dance in our kitchen.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 3: So we still do that all the time. Here's the other thing.
Speaker 2: At one point during this film, the dad, we've We've established the dad is kind of the jerk the entire time, trying to save him, but is again trying to keep him away from his grandfather, who seems to be actually a wonderful influence on him.
Speaker 3: He's obviously dealing with his own issues with his dad.
Speaker 2: Those can be very real and tough, but they get to the point where both Johnny and Sam feel like they can't stay anymore, and they just cut to a beach in Hawaii and apparently they have.
Speaker 3: Rowed away on a military transport.
Speaker 1: Which has got to be against the law in a bouta.
Speaker 2: If anybody knows the military, it's pretty easy to sneak on to a military trap.
Speaker 1: And it's like an eleven hour flight there. There's got to be so many laws that that breaks. Oh man, just such epic ways. And it's just even with the parents. I mean, you would think Sam's dad would be livid, like living kean out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he just got a promotion.
Speaker 1: He just got a promotion, and now his son has not only gone, but has taken another civilian. What did he what did he call his his civilian? His cities?
Speaker 3: Yep, his cities are the clothes I gotta put on my cities.
Speaker 1: Cities. I don't know if that's a real word. I want to is it.
Speaker 2: That's well, that's what that's what they call it. It's like I gotta take off your uniform and put on your cities. And so my dad was in the navy, Okay, okay, and there there is a the sub base near us in Groton, Connecticut is the base that I used to spend my time on, so I know that we would get dependent cards, So you could get a dependent card to get on and off the base like you were the dependent of somebody who was in the military. So Sam definitely could have gotten on base, not a problem. I think he probably could have brought his friend. So that part is very plausible. Okay, But then the idea that they're stowing awaywing away, I'm like a C one thirty or some kind of plane that is going to take them eleven hours to Hawaii to where they're then just walking on the beach. Then you got to land at the military base. You got to sneak off the plane. You gotta get It's a whole nother Disney movie.
Speaker 1: And there's no ubers. How are you getting around? I mean maybe a taxi? Do they have taxis that come from the base. I don't know, But.
Speaker 2: They specifically said they don't have any money, So how did they get from I mean I'm guessing did they say where he lived in Hawaii?
Speaker 1: No, I don't believe so.
Speaker 3: So if you live close to Pearl, if you live close to Pearl Harbor.
Speaker 2: I mean maybe then they can they could get a lift from there with it.
Speaker 1: No, I yeah, it's it's extraordinary. I mean those are just for that to really happen. And again, just like we saw with like Descendants, how quickly it is taken in. Someone gets a little upset and we move right along. That's it. Boom boom done. Like that's just it's just right along and we just can continue, you know. I was it almost got me. I was definitely thinking, now I'm here for his grandpa because he seems cool, but you're not gonna call the parents? And then sure enough, next scene he's on phone with parents. But so the talk with the dad and the grandpa, I was cracking up because this grandpa was like, yeah, I'm not going to do that. Your your idea of how this is going to go down doesn't really work with me, so bye click. I mean it was so I think of my parents with with Monroe now right, they are so both of the sets of grandparents are really catering to my needs of how to how I want a parent Monroe and stuff. And this is not the case Johnny Johnny's Unami and his son not the case at all. I mean, it could be to the point where I can say Mom or Dad, no more cookies. Okay. I know chocolate chip cookies as a papa thing, but sometimes it's just too much. And my dad will say, okay, this did not happen.
Speaker 2: Then No, that was like, hey, my son stowed away on eleven hour flight, can you please send him back or at least put him on the phone with me.
Speaker 3: And he's like, no, he's sleeping.
Speaker 1: He wouldn't even put him on the phone. He's safe, he's sleeping, and he's here. I got him. Bite.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: So we get finally to the you know, the end of the film, and they do the great Disney Channel thing where you've got it, We're going to race for the mountain.
Speaker 1: Yea.
Speaker 3: I loved that his grandfather came with him back to Vermont.
Speaker 2: I also loved because it's and I know some people are like, come on, that's not real that he hopped on a snowboard right away and was great at it. But there is a very famous video of Tony Hawk the first time he ever snowboarded.
Speaker 3: He was doing tricks and flips like, oh, for.
Speaker 2: Sure, because you've got the moves down, so he knows what he's doing enough to kind of get the vibe of it, so it wasn't.
Speaker 1: Crazy scene and skating is similar enough. And I will tell you this. I took Jordan, my husband, to snowboard for his first time, and he was better than me after the first day, and I was love it. I mean, and I'm okay, was he leafing? Was he leaving? He didn't have to leave at all. Okay. Sometimes if I get on like a black diamond, I'm leafing still because I get too nervous.
Speaker 3: And if I'm on a black Diamond, I've woken up there by accident.
Speaker 1: He just took off like it was like I was sitting down talking teaching him a little bit at bunny slope. We were on the bunny slope for maybe an hour and then he's like, all right, let's go. And we went up to like a long, long, long slope and he nailed it and I couldn't. But he's and he was killing He's grown up surfing skating.
Speaker 3: You know he was there.
Speaker 2: You go, yeah, So he's got the mechanics, like his body knew the movements already.
Speaker 1: I don't know if he would have been as good as what Johnny's unami was on the mountain but it's definitely safe to say it wouldn't take him long to pick it up and be great.
Speaker 3: So he wins. He wins the race.
Speaker 2: That was one of my other little problems I had with the movie. I would like to have seen maybe maybe one more Johnny getting better snowboarding montage before the race, before the race, because we kind of went from the first time where Sam is teaching him where he can tell he can get up and kind of maneuver, but he's still falling on his face and stuff, which is obviously you need, and then the going down to get the help when everybody's precariously hanging off the damna.
Speaker 1: He still stumbled a little bit, stumble.
Speaker 2: A little bit, but was able to hit the awesome jumps, but was stumbling a little bit.
Speaker 1: He fell.
Speaker 2: They showed that, which is uh huh, a great way to show it. When they decide to go to the mountain when he gets into the fight with Brett, they show them all kind of rolling a little bit, which I loved, But then by the end, if they had had one more where it was like, hey man, you're you're really starting to kill it, Like bra You've really picked this up.
Speaker 3: I think that could have been great.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it's pronounced bruh, isn't it bra? Bruh not bra like a bra woman wears.
Speaker 2: Really well, they're both very supportive, very supportive of you all the way around. Is how I look at it, and I think he says bra, he says come on bra.
Speaker 1: Maybe, oh yeah, you know what. I think he does too. He does actually pronounce it. But I think, well, nowadays, you know, bruh is back.
Speaker 3: I did not know it was ever is back.
Speaker 1: And it's ever gone. They got it left for a while, but it is now back. I just did a week with some high school girls that were my song. He's my girls. I love watching them dance the amount of times I heard bruh, and they they called their moms that yahruh. I'm like, unbelievably, still call your mother, bray Man. But yes, so I do agree. However, we've got to go back to we felt, you know, Descendants felt a little long. It is longer than that ninety Would that have pushed us over the edge into possibly possible? I mean they but I'm sure they had enough footage to do another scene if they wanted to, right.
Speaker 2: I just loved because the music and the montage of them. I think I just wanted another one of those because.
Speaker 1: They were the best parts of the movie. I really do think I loved they were so good. I loved watching that sport and what they did with it.
Speaker 3: We loved it. But did everyone else? Is the question.
Speaker 2: So I think it's time we hop into our real reviews. As you know, we take real reviews from the internet machine. We do a five star review and we do a one star review.
Speaker 1: Do you have a.
Speaker 3: Preference what you're gonna read today, Sabrina? What would you rather do?
Speaker 1: I will do the one stuff?
Speaker 2: Okay, you got it, So I will start with the five star review. This is by Stellar Motion. It's a good family movie. So for the first time when I was about thirteen, and then again a few years ago with my family, it still holds up.
Speaker 3: Solid review all the way around.
Speaker 1: Nice Nice the one star skies. I'm disappointed that Johnny doesn't shoot waves out of his peepee. Yeah, okay, I'm.
Speaker 2: Gone my entire review. I'm disappointed that Johnny doesn't shoot waves out of his peepy. Someone took the time.
Speaker 3: To rite nice to write that review.
Speaker 2: Okay, I I just all right, it's absolutely, that is a real review.
Speaker 1: And by the way, I agree.
Speaker 2: I just want to say, as I make some some yellow snow, it's crazy, so weird.
Speaker 3: That is so weird.
Speaker 2: But we are moving on now from that peepee related review to our three and a half fact section, where as you all know, three of the facts that we will say are completely real and half fact or the half fact is something that we've heard but cannot verify. So the first one we actually talked about this a little bit. The character the grandfather, who played Johnny Tsunami, is Carrie hiro Yuki Tagawa, and he is only nine years older than Juji Okamoto, who was Johnny's dead.
Speaker 3: Yes, so yeah, the grandfather.
Speaker 2: The actors who were playing grandfather and dad were nine years part.
Speaker 1: Did you feel that red on TV? Did you feel that they looked I just felt they looked close in age.
Speaker 2: But I also it wasn't so jarring for me that I was like, oh man, this was poorly cast.
Speaker 1: Okay, I felt the same.
Speaker 3: I also like these two actors so much that I frankly didn't care.
Speaker 1: Excited to see them on the channel, right, that's awesome, Yeah.
Speaker 2: And excited to see them together and together you know, they've been in so many things that I've loved that I was. I was good with it. So that's that's the first one that the two actors rolling nine years.
Speaker 1: Apart, all right. The second one very odd coincidence. Yuji Okamoto also played the main villain in Karate Kid two, which we talked about, and his co star Mary Page Keller, who plays his wife in this is married to Thomas Ian Griffith in real life. He was the main villain in Karate Kid three.
Speaker 3: Our third real fact.
Speaker 2: We already talked about some of the obvious differences between the actors and the stunt doubles. Also, when the actor playing Johnny Tsunami is snowboarding, his snowboarded goofy foot, so that's the other way around.
Speaker 3: That's left front.
Speaker 2: But when the scene cuts to the more skilled moves, he's writing regular.
Speaker 1: Oh so his stunt double was a regular.
Speaker 3: His stunt double was a regular. Oh.
Speaker 2: And now do you want to do our half fact, which we're that sure as real at all and could just be spreading rumors in the world.
Speaker 1: We could be spreading rumors. I'm a little nervous to do this.
Speaker 3: This is a good one. This is a good rumor spreader.
Speaker 1: All right, Brandon Baker, who played young Johnny made out with his love interest. Is that now if this is wrong, that's what I'm saying. I'm kind of scared to say. He claims it in a recent interview. But for confirmation, we're gonna need to hear from herself.
Speaker 2: We are, so hopefully we get a chance to ask her, because that's when we could be just spreading rumors. Uh. The utterly Irredeemable bad guy is another trope because you get a lot of movies again. Go back to Croyd a Kid, where at the end Johnny comes up to to Daniel and kind of says, hey, lusso, good match. You know in this movie, Brett don't care at all about this guy.
Speaker 3: He's never gonna like the next day at school is still gonna suck for Johnny. This has changed.
Speaker 1: Nothing has changed nothing anything. It might get worse, right, Yeah, that's what I thought about.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's very strange.
Speaker 2: He's not gonna he keeps cheating all the time, knocking him over, pushing him down the hill. Now his best friend bails on him and becomes friends with Johnny.
Speaker 1: Great also mentions earlier on that he's tried snowboarding before that best friend does he I don't remember that, dang it. That was one of my sprightest seas. I jumped nice you can't.
Speaker 3: Jump the gun, he do.
Speaker 1: They talk about that, he he has tried before, like he did it, and he that did or the other guy. No, the other guy, the friend.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, because well though they show the friend. Remember he stands on the board in front of the thing and shoots out from underneath him. And that's why he says, I'm never getting on.
Speaker 3: One of them.
Speaker 1: Oh is that all they're saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's what they mean.
Speaker 1: Oh, all right, he's just cheating at every like single possibility, pushing all of that. He he takes his magazine. He throws it away like a jerk. I was so upset that he loaned him, which he loaned me. He's like, just give it back when you're done, Bro, Just not necessary. Bro, You're just too much, you know. And then it leads up to one of the things I was going to bring up a little bit in Sabritas's I had a quite kind of kind of a lot long list, But are there many fights with an actual punch to the face in Disney Channel movie. I thought the same thing caught me off guard.
Speaker 3: There was an.
Speaker 2: Actual punch, an actual punch. There was an actual punch.
Speaker 3: I agree. I don't know if that that was done before, but I don't.
Speaker 1: Think I remember seeing those happening in Disney Channel movies like now. I agree, pushing and whatever and maybe getting each other's face, but an actual punch.
Speaker 2: I I don't think we'd ever seen that.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 2: There is one thing I want to start doing because I think it's going to be very important.
Speaker 3: And we'll do we'll do it quickly.
Speaker 2: Okay, but we've got to start rating or ranking our Disney villains from from the movies that we've seen.
Speaker 3: So I want to ask you.
Speaker 1: I love this. I'm so I'm so excited. Here we go.
Speaker 2: Yes, Val from Brink uh huh, Moleficent, the bad biker flirting guy in President's Daughter, and Brett that we've just seen.
Speaker 3: How do you rank those? Let's say, most bad to lease.
Speaker 1: Bad, most bad to lease bad.
Speaker 3: Okay, and we're gonna keep We're gonna keep track of this. Okay, So you got to put Molficent as the worst?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Wait, you mean like.
Speaker 3: She's the most bad.
Speaker 1: She's the most bad, yeah, because she was really trying to ruin everyone's life.
Speaker 3: And she's also like magically bad.
Speaker 1: Yes, so there's no doubt that she could do. I mean, she became a dragon.
Speaker 3: So it's like, I agree, you know, how do you.
Speaker 1: Fight that can't can't really do it? The next one up would be what I feel like, the biker guys were scary because they could really happen, that could really you could really be chased around.
Speaker 2: So I think, no, we're talking about We're talking about Steve, because it's got to be one guy.
Speaker 1: Steve. Oh, Steve, biker guy. I thought I was more terrified about those truckers that were coming.
Speaker 3: I know, but I think's got to be the bad guy.
Speaker 2: And I'm gonna be honest, there was Steve seemed like he had some pretty awful things in mind for Hallie, not letting her out of the house and stuff, So I would honestly put him as next most bad, right love it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, and then this guy.
Speaker 2: And then this guy and then Val No, and then Val and then this I agree. Okay, so Malificen is the worst, Steve is second worst, Brett and then.
Speaker 1: Val is third, and then Brett's the least. I mean, he just was like a like a rich kid pompous, wasn't really I was Val scared me, Like I thought, just one little click of a switch and we might see a real crazy psycho from Val.
Speaker 3: I agree with you, he could go.
Speaker 1: Real crazy real quick.
Speaker 2: I felt like Maleficent's the worst, Steve is the next worst. Val is the next worst, and then Brett is the is the final guy?
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, I like, all right, that's wonder keep.
Speaker 3: Well, keep track. That's our list so far.
Speaker 2: But we also have to talk about one of the best parts of this movie is a name. Johnny Sunami is pretty much one of the most wonderful names, uh in Disney Channel original movie history.
Speaker 3: But is it the best name in Disney Channel original history.
Speaker 2: So let's, for instance, Johnny Tsunami or Jackal Johnson from The Cheetah Girls.
Speaker 1: What wins there, sh Jackal Jackal Johnson?
Speaker 3: You think Jackal wins that one?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Okay, So Johnny Tsunami or Chad Charming from The Descendants.
Speaker 1: Johnny agreed, Chad Charming didn't didn't hit me too hard.
Speaker 2: Here's when we have not watched yet, but we've done research on Johnny Tsunami or Movie Mason from Phantom of the Megaplex.
Speaker 1: Ooh, I forgot about that name.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, which one?
Speaker 1: Geez, I guess Movie Mason.
Speaker 3: You think you like that more than Johnny Tsunami.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't like any of them more than Johnny. It's my favorite movie, I know, but we're talking just no, i'd have to say Johnny Sunami. Yeah, Johnny.
Speaker 2: Okay, So Johnny Sunami over Movie Mason, Johnny Tsunami or mister Fister.
Speaker 1: Now that's just going over lucky Dog.
Speaker 3: Mister Fister, I don't.
Speaker 1: Even know you lucky Dog. That is a terrible sentence that I cannot believe in the Disney Channel world.
Speaker 2: Agree, I'm picking Johnny Ssunami just because I don't ever want to meet a mister Fister.
Speaker 1: I don't even want to do this movie, I know, but we don't want to have to say that.
Speaker 3: Over your lucky Dog. But we are going to say, mister.
Speaker 1: You know what's not on this list is Drink a Champagne from The Cheetah Girls.
Speaker 3: Drink a Champagne is great too, that.
Speaker 1: That name was, and just champagne in general. On the channel was kind of funny.
Speaker 3: I drink a champagne is a good one too. Okay, well this list, because there's going to be a great ones.
Speaker 1: There's gonna be a ton more.
Speaker 3: We covered all your sabrinacies.
Speaker 1: No we did not. So one of them, I would say, was the hat that Sam he ends up getting, yeah, and that Sam says he has.
Speaker 3: To earn and then he kind of earns it.
Speaker 1: Right. It didn't really follow it. It didn't really seem except for it just made it harder to distinguish which was Sam and which was Johnny when they were on the mountains, like it really kind of was just lost.
Speaker 3: I think anything to cover their face, anything.
Speaker 1: At that point, right, anything to you know. That kind of was one of the things. The one of the sabrinacities that I really was kind of interested in was we talk about characters that kind of just don't get developed and like you see them, you feel like they're gonna be really high importance and then they kind of are. Could have had more was the two brothers that we end up realizing at the end. First of all, that totally got me. I don't remember that part at all.
Speaker 3: I can remember either.
Speaker 1: I kept going, why did see you look familiar? He does, But if anything, it just made me start thinking, why is he important? You know? And again I get it what the importance is, but I feel like that character, especially the one, the snowboarding shop character, yeah, was so good. They should have given him more. Like, I really believe they should have given him more in the movie.
Speaker 2: I think it was to show that that it was even between brothers, they were split apart Sky and Urchin, Right, you know, that was that, you know, That's what I said.
Speaker 1: I understood, but I felt there he could have had one or two extra scenes. Okay, that like that actor killed that character so good?
Speaker 3: I think so too.
Speaker 1: So those besides the other thing, I had a really hard time with the house that Johnny Tsunami the Beach Bomb.
Speaker 3: Lived, his very wealthy house.
Speaker 1: The idea how they got there to Hawaii seemed outrageous yep. And then my last one was the metal that he's wearing. Well, he's snowboarding and all of a sudden, at the perfect opportunity to just make the stakes higher of this raise boom. Yeah. Okay. I've spent lots of time with Sean Johnson, Olympic athlete eleven gymnasts. Yes, you did dancing with the stars at sea together. Okay, she never once pulled out that that gold medal, so I'm not sure if it just is unrealistic to have a medal on at all times.
Speaker 2: He just wanted to snowboard with it. Apparently, just keep it with you just in case.
Speaker 1: Crazy. I just that killed me. That was a bust out laughing, like, why why are you wearing it?
Speaker 3: I didn't even think about it?
Speaker 2: So yeah, another good Sabrina Sea is why are you wearing your giant heavy metal while you're snow while.
Speaker 1: You're snowboarding out of nowhere?
Speaker 2: Well, it is now that time of the program in which we are going to rate the film.
Speaker 3: How do you think we should rate this?
Speaker 2: Should this be one on attend hijacked military planes or bruhs Hawaiian shirts? I like surf surf metals that you shouldn't be carrying with you as you're actually snowboarding surf metals. I like hijacked military planes too.
Speaker 1: I love it and I'm sold on it.
Speaker 3: So what do you got?
Speaker 1: You go first? I need you to go first. I feel like I always go first.
Speaker 3: You gotta do it fair enough.
Speaker 1: I liked this movie.
Speaker 2: Okay, I had very small little problems with it. I liked this movie. I would give this a solid eight. Hijacked military planes. I really enjoyed it. I thought his character was super likable. I thought the story was great, moving a kid, a Hawaiian kid who's grown up on the beach, moving him all the way to Vermont.
Speaker 3: I thought that was great.
Speaker 2: Again, typical some typical Disney Channel tropes that you're going to see all the time.
Speaker 3: But overall, I really like, I enjoyed this movie. It was a good watch, it really was.
Speaker 2: And I thought Lee Thompson Young was really really good in this movie. And I thought he shined a bit in this film. Played a great best friend. I loved his range when he was getting angry at some of the you know, his kind of Johnny had to hold him back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I also loved Johnny.
Speaker 2: I love they did things in this movie that a lot of kids don't do and need to. Like with Johnny sharing the magazine, I keep going back to that, but like, hey, just take it and give it back to me when you're done thanking Lee. So rarely do you see these characters when they're lying on the bed and they're just talking and he's showing him surf videos.
Speaker 3: He just turns from me.
Speaker 2: He's like, I just want to thank you for kind of being my friend and taking.
Speaker 3: Me under your wing.
Speaker 2: And he's like, hey, don't worry about it, manifact that's it's nice to see characters talk like that where it's like I want to just take a moment to just thank you for hanging out.
Speaker 3: With me and being my buddy. I really liked it. I liked the characters. I liked the acting. The music was great.
Speaker 2: I could watch snow good snowboarding scenes and surfing scenes all day long. So I was in solid eight hijack military planes.
Speaker 3: How about you.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go with the nine. I loved the movie back in the day. I loved watching it again we are in. I just I think it's it's a feel good movie. Like you said that, that scene for whatever with me also resonated the just appreciating and showing kids that you know, to have conversations and it be okay to thank them, you know, for doing something that you really really appreciated. I loved the idea that that brought in the storyline of him, you know, going I've been the new been there over and over again, and it's hard, you know. And I think, especially at this age that the kids are in, so much of life is hard. High school's tough, being different is tough. All of that is big. And I just love that part of the storyline, which I don't think I ever really fully connected, and so watching it, I think that's my uh my mama bear watching it, you know, type of thing, if that's whatever happens to my kids. But yeah, I thought all of the characters were great. I thought the actors did an awesome job. One small critique that would take it away from being like a nine point five would just be the obvious stunt doubles. That's the only thing. Again, Back then, though, when I was twelve thirteen watching this, it didn't didn't affect me. Now a little older, it took a little bit of the sparkle from it for me. But other than that, love love love, will watch it again, I know for sure, you know, all right, maybe tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Sure, So, Johnny Tsunami, Brock, you gotta watch whenever you can. Johnny Sinami, we have just watched another good Disney Channel movie. Solid all the way around the nineties. Man, the nineties had some great Disney Channel movies, so thank you so much for joining.
Speaker 1: We gotta watch one that's not so good. We gotta watch, we gotta find oh hey, we gotta search one that maybe is on the not great.
Speaker 2: Our next movie, Yes, join us. Yes, we are watching The Tower of Terror next. So can't wait. We are getting into it now. We have had some great movies and we are going to continue to have great movies, so thank you so much once again for joining us. Go back and watch Johnny Tsunami again and count the number of times these kids almost die crazy Tower of Terror if you want to join us, by the way, and watching it.
Speaker 3: It is on YouTube.
Speaker 2: That was one of the ones we were able to find, so yeah, give it a watch and then join us to recap it.
Speaker 3: We really can't wait.
Speaker 2: And remember to subscribe to our feed, and like I said before, you can follow us at Magical rewind Pod on Instagram. Thank you so much, Sabrina. It's been wonderful seeing you again and I will see you next time for the Tower of Terror.
Speaker 1: Bye everybody, Bye,