Speaker 1: We've been focused on Guyana this season, and for good reason. It's on track to become the world's largest oil producer per capita in the next decade. But it's also important to note that what's happening in Guyana is pretty illustrative of what's happening all over the world right now. There is a global oil rush and it's hitting the Caribbean region and Africa particularly hard. Today, I'm bringing you a conversation with reporter Jeff Goodell at Rolling Stone, who's just written a scorching piece on what's been happening in Namibia, particularly with respect to a company that seems to have claimed on paper that there are billions of barrels of oil on its land, but never actually proven that there's anything there that never stops them from drilling though right next to a UNESCO World Heritage Site, no less, and those completely unnecessary exploratory wells have caused plenty of environmental damage. Jeff went to Namibia to figure out what the heck has been going on. He's going to talk us through all of it, how it fits in with what we've been seeing in Guyana, and how it all relates to the global oil rush. After this quick break.
Speaker 2: My name is Jeff Goodell. I am a writer at Rolling Stone and the author of a number of books about energy and climate change.
Speaker 3: We're talking because you just wrote this massive feature about oil exploration in Namibia and a little bit in Botswana in Africa in general, and I am fascinated by this story. So I guess I wanted to know how you first started looking into this, What first popped onto your radar that made you go, oh, this is something worth looking into.
Speaker 2: Well, I got tipped off by foundation who told me that there was this drilling going on around the Okabango Delta, which is a in ESCO World ariatage site, you know, and they were interested in life conservation and things, and like you and many journalists, we get pitched stuff all the time. And I was like, yeah, yeah, yeah, it sounds great, but you know, I got lots to do, right, and so I kind of didn't think about it. And then then I was just sort of googling around one day and thinking more about it, and let's started to look into it a little bit and it became really interesting to me very quickly. Because this company called Recon Africa, which was based in Vancouver. They were kind of, you know, a small kind of or oil and gas exploration company, and there was some really good reporting that had been done by National Geographic that suggested that, you know, maybe this was not all up and up, and maybe there was some other game being played here besides straightforward oil and gas drilling and exploration. And it just piqued my interest, and the more I looked into it, the more complex and fascinating it became. I pitched my editors and said, yes, let's go go have a look. And that's what I did.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, And I don't want to spoil the story for people, because I want them to go and read it, but to the extent that you can share a little bit about what you found without without ruining the story for people. Yeah, can you walk us through what you found when when you got on the ground in Maybia?
Speaker 2: Well, I think you know. The first thing I should say is, right before I left, I I called this Harvard geologist named Paul Hoffman, who is a very, very very one of the most sort of famous geologists in the world as far as geologists are famous, who who is most known for kind of this idea of snowball Earth, this idea that at several points in earth distant past it was more less covered with ice in it. It's very controversial theory, but he he is the one who kind of proved it, and he proved it by studying the rocks in Namibia for about forty years. And he knows the rocks in Namibia the way you know most people know their children's faces or something. And I called him and he basically said, I explained the story to him and I was interested in drilling. Did he have any advice for me about traveling in Nmidia and this and that? And he said, you know, there's no oil there And I said, well, what do you mean? And he said, whatever they're saying. I know this place and there's basically no oil there. And I was like, well, then what are they doing? And he said, well, you know, one thing you're going to learn is that a lot of oil and gas company or companies are better at drilling into their investor's wallets than they are into the rocks in the ground.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And with that, I got on a plane and went to Namibia. And so my time there was about trying to understand what was going on on if there was no oil there then what were they doing? And if there was oil, there was this guy, Paul Hoffman, this man who understands maybe better than anyone. Was he completely wrong? And was that a remarkable kind of discovery? They were recon Africa was claiming there was one hundred and twenty billion barrels of oil that had been produced in this basin that they that they had so called discovered. And as you know, one hundred and twenty billion is a pretty big number. And so that got all their investors in a tizzy.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I mean that's that would make it, you know, bigger than almost any other oil field on Earth. Just to put it in context for people like they're like, hey, we discovered the new Saudi Arabia and no one else knew in existed full time.
Speaker 2: Yes, So the first thing I did when I got there is, you know, one of the things that makes this story different than a lot of other stories is where the they this company, recon Africa, at least about nine million acres of land in Botswana and Namibia, and a lot of it is very close to the ok of Ago Delto, which is this UNESCO World Character Site, which is a kind of pristine ecosystem that is you know, renowned for the number of elephants that live and migrated through there, for its wildlife population of lions and you know, all the sort of big mammals that people pay a lot of money to go on Sofari to see. But it's also just this, you know, this kind of miraculous place, this delta where the water runs down out of the highlands of Angola and creates this unique ecosystem that is very that is basically unpolluted and untouched, and then that water disappears into the Kalahari desert and just sort of vanishes, and it's this is amazing place. So the first thing I did was go see this amazing place, which I'd never been to before. And sure enough, it was, you know, astonishing in its diversity of wildlife and in its sort of sublime beauty. And the notion that all this was going to get you know, screwed up and polluted because of these you know, wildcat explorers who were drilling upstream of this was you know, pretty shocking in the sense of like, what the hell are we doing? You know, what is going on here? So it wasn't just the climate aspects of it. It was also just this incredible wonderland of wildlife that was at risk.
Speaker 3: Right, And I think, like I think that there's a tendency for people to think, oh, well, if they're drilling but there's not really any oil, then like no harm, no foul, Right, But that's very much not true. So can you kind of talk through, you know, what impact does the drilling have frerespective of whether there is actually this large amount of oil to be tapped there, right.
Speaker 2: I mean, obviously, if if there were one hundred and twenty billion barrels of oil there, it would turn into you know, you know, it would there would be drilling everywhere, and it would turn into you know, a kind of environmental nightmare. But you're right, a lot of people think, oh, so what's the harm. They were exploring for oil, but no big deal. They didn't they didn't find it, and so who cares? Well, it matters a lot because an ecosystem like the Oka Bango delta is very fragile and it's all built around this sort of flow of water. And as even drilling these four or five wells that they have drilled, they're you know, they're using drilling MUDs that have god knows what kind of chemicals in them. They're pumping up water from below that has all kinds of chemicals in it that are not mixed in the surface waters. They're cutting roads through these pristine areas, changing wildlife migration patterns, you know. And then there's the whole sort of economy of drillers and kind of get rich quick people who you know, invade this area trying to exploit this, and so it's like, you know, even this level of modest exploration in a pristine place like that has profound implications.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, Can you talk a little bit more about this company that is exploring in in Nibia because I found that really interesting too. Again, I think like a lot of people think, oh, it's just the oil nators doing this, but this is a pretty small, pretty new company that has kind of pulled off something that's that's sort of shocking. I would say, you know that they that they've managed to convince so many people to believe in this projection. Like it's one thing, if you know, axel On or Shell says there's one hundred and twenty billion barrels of oil somewhere, but this is not one of those companies no, it's not.
Speaker 2: It's basically, you know, a handful of Vancouver mining financiers headed by this guy named Craig Steink, who is a Canadian and you know, he and some of the other people guys, they are all guys, and they're all like, you know, middle aged white guys. Basically you know, made a little bit of money in cracking the premium basin and in parts of Canada and have basically spent the last ten years trying to kind of export fracking around the world basically, and you know, they fracking as a you know, North American invention that was sort of you know exploited here, and these guys figure out, oh, well, we can do that in other places. So they've trotted around to Mexico and France and Poland and other places trying to frack in basins there and they've been basically shut down in all those places or else the gas fields turned out to be dry or the gas too difficult to get for whatever reasons. But they've perfected this idea of you know, hyping up the possibility of these discoveries and then selling you know, creating a corporation that they then put on the Vancouver Stock Exchange or some other small exchanges and hype up investors in retail investors on who are on boards like on Reddit in places like that, and they get a lot of money invested in this by hyping up the possibility of you know, an enormous find in this case in Namibia and Botswana. So it really is just I mean, really it's a handful of people. When I was in Namibia, I went to the company headquarters. You know, it's like, okay, so Recount Africa has got this operation that I'm reporting about, this drilling, high profile drilling operation. I figured they would have a building, a like an office, you know, there would be some kind of establishment, And it was basically this like rented little office at the end of this empty hallway where one I was sitting in a chair with like office depot kind of steel furniture. Who was in charge of their operations there? And I went in and you know, said hello and told him who I was, and I was from Rolling Stone and and you know, I'd like to go look at the drill sites. And he was at first really friendly to me. It was really sweet, and like he's like, oh great, welcome to the maybe and all that, and then he said, okay, we'll arrange this. Let me let me call me back in a couple of a couple of hours and we'll set it up. And I left and called him a couple of hours and he was immediately very gruff and like, no, we're not you know, no, no drill visits. Sorry, we're not cooperating and hung up the phone on me. He'd obviously checked in with somebody and like, you know, we're not letting any reporters anywhere near this. But that's the kind of operation it is. It's not a you know, it's not a big company. It's like four guys, you know, who have corralled a bunch of investors, have some money, bought a drilling rig and are punching holes in Namibia.
Speaker 3: Its wild. It's just it's wild that that's like a thing that you can do.
Speaker 2: And make a lot of money at it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I make a lot of money at it, even if there's nothing coming out of those wells. Have they what's kind of the status of this project right now?
Speaker 2: Well, they've you know, they've drilled three or four exploratory wells. They haven't really they claim to have found what they call a working petroleum system. But all of the patrolling engineers I've talked to who've looked at their data say it's not a working petroleum system. Their stock price is you know, under a dollar and has been under a dollar for a long time. You know, it was up around seven or eight, I think even nine dollars for a while a year ago, which was when all the insiders cashed out. You know, this company was worth at a certain point something like a market cap of like two billion dollars, even though you know they'd never found any oil and their office was nothing more than a you know, steel chair in a in a lonely little building in Hindu, Namibia. You know, I don't know where it's going to go. They look like they have enough operating cash to get to go through another quarter or two. But a lot of the main investors have already moved on to other companies, and even the key player, Craig Stankey, who is the sort of man behind this, he's moved on. He's involved in some other companies. So I basically think they're going to fade away. I think that, you know, they're just going to vanish in this sort of petroleum haze. I think that after several years of promising and promising and promising, I think even there, you know, cult like investors are losing patients with them, and you know, they've been talking about it, you know, a joint venture somebody one of the big oil majors coming in and you know, buying them out or buying out a portion of their operation, and which would certainly happen if if there was one hundred and twenty billion barrels of oil, sure, yeah they would have. It would be a pretty good shape. But the fact that nobody has after all this time, it's pretty good evidence that even insiders don't believe what they're selling.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, do you is there any sense that they have been able to for some period of time at least kind of use the discoveries of oil in the southern part of Namibia where it shares a border with South Africa.
Speaker 3: Yeah, do you think that they've been they've been kind of using that to you know, convince people that oh, yeah, there's a lown gas up here too, Oh.
Speaker 2: Totally, well, yeah, they're totally using that. And then also, you know, shell has been made a couple there's been a couple of big offshore discoveries in Namibia also, you know the maybea for a long time, I thought they had no oil, there's no gas. They were not they you know, Angola to the north, you know, as lots, and they just thought this was you know, something that you know, was not available to them to develop. And then a couple of these big a couple of these big offshore discoveries came on which do seem real, and then the some other discoveries in the southern part of the country. But you know, Africa, as you know, is at this sort of turning point right of are they going to develop in this old like you know, nineteenth century you know, resource curse kind of development path or are they going to move in a new direction. And I think Namibia is like really at the kind of full crum of that decision.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I want to talk to you more about that because I feel like Namibia is in this really interesting place. It does. It reminds me a lot of Diana, which we've been looking at a lot the last year or so. In that Namibia also kind of has this you know, reputation as like a real leader in conservation and doing so much around wildlife preservation and all of these things, and now they're at the precipice of maybe becoming a big oil and gas producer. And I'm curious about what you found in terms of what I don't know, what people think about it there, how the government is reacting, how people on the ground think about it. I had someone I talked to someone just the other day who said, you know, for a long time, folks in global soft countries thought about climate change as global North problem, a problem that was created by the global North and should be solved by it, which is not necessarily untrue, but unfortunately everybody is going to be impacted by it too, right in these countries, you know, more than most. So Yeah, I'm just curious what you saw in terms of people kind of grappling with all of those things at once.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I mean, I think it's a really really important question, and I think probably maybe one of the most sort of important kind of questions in the whole energy climate debate that's happening in the world right now, and it's at the center of the loss and damage conversations that are happening, you know, with the IPCC and this question of what does the global North, owe the global South, and because you know, obviously we, the global North, have created this problem of climate change. We're the ones who have spent you know, one hundred years dumping ZO two into the atmosphere. And as you chronicle better than any buddy with oil majors like exce On Mobile knowing what they were doing, and you know, there's no question about who's responsible for this, right right, And you know when you travel in when I traveled in Namibia in Botswana, you know, I mean, energy poverty is very real. I mean, you know it's really important in countries in Namibia, in Botswana for more people to get access to energy for all kinds of very obvious reasons. And you know, there's a legitimate argument to be made that. Look, you know that I even in a meeting with the Maybe is Drilling the head of their sort of drilling operations oversight agency said to me basically is, look, you guys, you meing America have look what you've done. You know, you drilled everything, and you know, look what's going on now. We just okay drilling in the World Willow Project in Alaska. Look at what we're doing in the Gulf. I mean like you have no right to tell us like not to drill. You know, you have no moral standing.
Speaker 3: Here, right like new stop first, you know vibe. Yeah, yeah, that's.
Speaker 2: Really and that's really true. I mean it's really true. I mean there's we we do have no moral standing to come in there and say, you know, shame on you. However, what's very powerful that's happening there and what I encountered on the ground was a lot of you know, African activists, African sort of you know, new energy thinkers who are saying, look forget like what you know people in the US want us to do or care. It's like for our own good, you know, we need to go on a different path because the future is not oil and gas. These things are going to turn out to be stranded assets. They're going to screw up our country. They're gonna pullue, they're gonna do all the things that we can see has happened to the US and to other countries who have gone down the path of fossil fuel development. Were smarter than that. The advantages is to go on this new and different path. And Namibia is a great example because Namibia's solar resource, for example, is just phenomenal. I mean, it's better than California or Nevad. I mean it's really they have the real gold mine or the real one hundred and twenty billion barrels of oil in Namibia is not in the ground. It's in the sun, and the possibilities of that are huge. And they're also doing things very innovative things like green hydrogen development that they have a big project going on that is I think it's nine billion dollars or something of investment that is very progressive and you know a kind of step towards this sort of new energy economy also, so they're at this sort of you know, full crumb of this of this change. But one of the things that econ Africa story shows is, you know, is the ability of the oil and gas industry world players to you know, access political officials, to to get Okays to do things. They know how to pull the levers and you know, they know how to you know, pay off the right people and you know, get the development going even in ways that you know, even if it's not the sort of smartest path or the most democratic path or the one that most people in the country want, they know how to get it done, which is the same story as you saw in Guyana and we see in America.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, and then you know there's this this dual problem which you pointed to before of like it's not just the long term potential impacts around climate, but also the near term impacts of you know, air and water pollution and the potential for oil spills and all that kind of thing too. Did you get like, did you get a sense of how well or not the Namibian government is positioned to actually like regulate an oil and gas industry. No.
Speaker 2: I mean my sense is that you know, they they are you know, children in a sandbox in dealing with these you know, big experienced oil and gas players, even like recon Africa. I mean recon Africa is you know, in the classic way kind of trying to exploit this in a way. And they're talking about how you know, they are. They talk about how they're drilling mud and their drilling fluids are one hundred percent organic, right as if it's like Gwyneth Paltrow developing. You know, it's like it's hilarious, you.
Speaker 3: Know, wow, drilling mud or a mask. Oh wow, that's really interesting. Is there a sense like in Guyana, there's very much this idea of like, oh, well, you know, oil and gas is going to make this rich and you know, solve all of our development financing problems, and in a very big way. It actually gets talked about all the time there. It like that oil money is going to pay for climate adaptation, which is such a like really clear example of you know what happens when the global north does not step up and do you know what it should on climate. It's like, okay, now we've kind of abandoned these countries to rely on oil companies to pay for climate adaptation, and the trade off is you know, more drilling and all of that. So anyway, I don't know, like is that something that you saw in Namibia as well, where like well this might be a problem, but it'll bring in money and we need that money to deal with all of these other things.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean that's clearly a big part of the sort of pitch that a company like riek On Africa makes. So though in this case they don't really talk that much at least that I saw about climate related adaptation and money. It's more just like you know, economic development. You know, it's like we're going to bring jobs to these poor people. We're going to you know, provide clean drinking water. You know, we are a you know, experienced professionals. We do this right. We're not a fly by night organization. You know, we care about Namibia. Blah blah blah. You know, they're very good at you know, pitching this as the path for economic prosperity and growth. Right. And then you go there and you walk around and you talk to people in the villages and things around there, and yes, they drilled a couple of drinking wells that cost them two or three thousand dollars and that has helped a couple of you know, the villages. And I visited some of these wells and people were happy that they were there. But it's like you know, buying the local soccer team new shirts or something. I mean, it's like, you know it. They know how to do build up this kind of good will at a very cheap cost. And you ask them about you know, when I asked people about you know, employment and jobs, and you know, they would hire someone to like hold a flag on a dirt road for a day or two and pay them less than a dollar or something. And then that would be the end of it. And you know, clearly all this drilling stuff is you know, everything there was Haliburton. I mean this is all imported stuff, imported engineers. The actual you know, job possibilities for local people there are very very small. You know, the oil contracts, most of the money is you know, going out of the country. The money that's not going into the hands of sort of corrupt officials got the country. You know, this is it's it's a very transparent game that anybody like you who has looked at this for a long time knows exactly how it's played. And they're really experts at it, and they're really good at it, and you know, they have that playbook down.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah. What about sort of civil society groups in Namibia, so you know, like nonprofits and foundations, but also journalism, you know, government watchdog groups things like that. Are any of those folks kind of starting to to look at this stuff more critically?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean they're first of all, they has some really good journalism. They have the paper. Then Namibian has done some really good coverage of ricon Africa and of the problems with withdrilling in these fragile areas. So they do have that they they are building. There is a growing you know, activists, community Fridays for the Future, other organizations like that have a real presence. One of the things that you know, really caught my eye and in first beginning to explore this story and deciding to actually go there and write about it, was seeing some video of some of the sort of community meetings where local activists were challenging kind of some of Ricon's officials who would come in and you know, describe this these drilling projects to them, and the local activists really kind of got up in arms about it and really challenged them. I thought, oh, wow, this is really interesting. There's a lot of pushback here.
Speaker 3: That's really interesting is the like is the is the government? Yeah, like, how is the government sort of supportive of that or not or you know, more on the side of the oil companies or sort of neutral. What's what's the like relationship like there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean it's it's complex, you know. The the Namibian mining minister who I a guy named tom al Window who had a kind of community meeting in Ruindu maybe, which is the sort of largest town near the drilling sites. I was there when he had this community meeting and I attended it, and and you know, he's very smart guy, very sophisticated, uh you know, but very clearly like if there's oil here, we're going to develop it. This is our rights.
Speaker 3: You know, we have.
Speaker 2: A right to develop our resources. You know, we want to do this and we want and you know, we want to do this right. So they're they're kind of progressive in that sense, you know, this is there they The question is is will that would that actually happen? What would doing it right mean in a place like that? And you know it's like can you drill in you know, for oil and gas the right way in Usemite Valley? I mean no, I mean you can't. Right, there's if you're going to drill for oil and gas and Musemite Valley, it doesn't there's no right or wrong way. It's a disaster any way you look at it. Right. And so the same kind of thing with the Okamango Delta. It's like there's no right or wrong way to drill here. You just this should this should not this should not be happening, right. I mean if you value this, this ecosystem and this this planet, the way that a lot of people do so, so I think that, you know, what's interesting in this story is that, you know, by choosing to drill in this we're very close to this fragile area. They they really kind of kicked off a kind of attention and got people like me and activists and others to say, hey, what the hell are you doing? What is going on here? That I think they regret because I think that they would like this to have just gone through in a much quieter way. And there certainly is other drilling and exploration going on in Namibia that I'm not writing about, and you've probably never heard of, and I've probably never heard of, and you know that is going on quietly under the radar. But these guys were bold and stupid, and they just arrogant and just thought, oh, what the hell, We're gonna drill right next to the Okamango Delta and lo and behold. People don't like that, including a lot of Namibians who are you know, we're marching in the streets and holding up flags. But we know what's really interesting too, is that you really feel, or I really felt when I was there, compared to covering a similar kind of you know, meetings and activism in the US is fear. There's a real fear there of what the oil companies could do to them. There's a lot of I talked to a number of activists who said, you know, I'm talking to you, but you know, if I disappear next week, you know you need to know, you know who did this or who who is where to look first kind of thing, right, And so you really feel the kind of courage of speaking out there in a way that you know, I don't really feel when I cover similar kinds of events here in the US or in Western Europe or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's interesting, awesome, Well, I really appreciate you talking to me about it. More. It's a great story. We will link to it in the show notes and send everybody over to read it, and definitely we'll be following to see what becomes of recon Africa.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think I think they're They're like a little soap bubble that's gonna like pop, you know, right really soon here. I don't think they're going to be around for long, but you know, who knows, who knows?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, awesome, Well, thanks Jeff, I appreciate it, And yeah, looking forward to seeing whatever you do next.
Speaker 2: Thank you Amy.
Speaker 1: That's it for this time. Next week we are back in Diana for the final episode of this season. Don't miss it. Thanks for listening, and we'll see you next week.