Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. This is the Bloomberg Daybreak Europe podcast. Good morning, It's Wednesday, the twelfth of August. I'm Stephen Carroll in London. Coming up today the one hundred and fifty dollars oil risk. Doubts over a Hormoes deal push crude hire as Bloomberg Intelligence says a frozen conflict piles more pressure on prices. Europe's solar aligned power system braces for today's solar eclipse. Plus London's white collar exodus. Why ninety thousand bankers, lawyers and other professionals could be leaving the UK capital in the coming years. Let's start with the roundup of our top stories. Oil prices are continuing to grind higher. A skepticism grows over the prospects for a deal to restore energy flows through the Strait of Hormuz. Brett Cruise now trading above eighty nine dollars a barrel after jumping by around twelve percent over the past five sessions. Bloomberg Intelligence says a frozen US eround conflict is now the most plausible scenario. It warrants that that could push oil into a range of one hundred to one hundred and fifty dollars a barrel, with the upper end becoming increasingly possible as market buffers road No i'm ray Dan is a senior fellow at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy.
Speaker 2: It is unlikely that we're going to go back to the maritime arrangement that existed in the Strait of Home was before the Iran War. Iran has gained immense influence in the street. It will not let go of this leverage it has obtained easily.
Speaker 1: No i'm ray Dan's assessment comes as the latest US government forecast for oil supply disruption from the war to reach about six hundred thousand barrels a day until the end of next year. Adding to the squeeze rushes overseas, cruise shipments have fallen to their lowest since May, and it continued Ukrainian strikes from its oil infrastructure. Keith had five Russian refineries in the first week of August and another two in recent days. With the rise in oil prices comes as the US and both appear to be hardening their positions in negotiations over the Straight OFFEMUS. That's despite Pakistan's defense ministers, saying the two countries are close to some sort of arrangement. Former US Deputy Secretary of State Wendy Sherman is more skeptical.
Speaker 3: I wish I did share Pakistan's optimism, and I will hope that there is more reality to this.
Speaker 1: Than I think there is.
Speaker 4: We are definitely out.
Speaker 1: Of stalemate, Wendy Sherman speaking there. Her view comes as President Trump told reporters last night that he's in no rush to secure a deal and that the US is in a very good position along the conflict continues could also matter for the FED, with the Iran war adding to inflation pressures. Ahead of crucial US inflation data later today, Boston Fed President Susan Collins has told The Financial Times she could back a September rate ike if the data dictates, warning inflation remains too high. A split between the United States and Japan over Bank of Japan policy risks undermining their joint efforts to support the en. Japan's Prime Minister Sanae Atakichi is wary of raising interest rates too high, too fast, while US Treasury Secretary's got bestnces monetary tightening is crucial to supporting the currency. The EN has already given back some of the gains from the first coordinated US Japan intervention since nineteen ninety eight. Our Market's Live streates, as Mark Cranfield says, the boj's next move will be crucial, So.
Speaker 5: The BOJ speakers will really have a big sway on whether or not people get serious about a September rate hike. But it probably needs September and October to come back to back for people to really get behind the.
Speaker 1: In in Spoomberg's Mark Cranfield expectations are building for another BOJ rate hike in September or October. Is the EN again near one sixty to the dollar? Core We've shares have surged after booming AI demand bolstered the company's sales growth. The computing provider raised its outlook to a range of twelve point four billion dollars to thirteen point two billion dollars for the full year after revenue more than doubled in the second quarter. Galoria, head of technology research at DA Davidson, says the results are an encouraging step for the firm.
Speaker 4: It's incrementally positive.
Speaker 6: There is still a really big question about whether we even need neo clouds Whether they're a good business. At the base of it is are they getting a good enough return on investment to pay for the very expensive capital that they have to borrow? And I think that what investors are seeing today they took a small step in the right direction.
Speaker 1: Ja Davidson's Gloria There Core We've shares rose by more than fifteen percent, and after hours trading after the report was released, they had been up twenty six percent this year through the close. The business, which serves customers like OpenAI, Meta and Microsoft, has borrowed tens of billions of dollars and is spending heavily on AI chips and data centers to meet demand. A German airport has been disrupted by a rogue drone, adding to a string of recent incidents. Overs Regional Airport was closed for two hours yesterday morning after a drone was sighted. Germany's airports have been plagued by a series of such events, with one device laden with explosives found near a Ukrainian plane last week. Dershpiegel has reported that an internal police report isn't ruling out foreign involvement. Europe's power grades are preparing for a rare solar eclipse later today, which will temporarily cut generation across the continent. If skies are clear, solar output good fall by about nine point seven gigawatts, with gas, hydroelectric and nuclear generation available to cover the shortfall. But for most of us, the eclipse will be less about managing power supplies and more about the spectacle. Stephen Price, chair of the Bristol Astronomical Society, describes what might be in store.
Speaker 7: The light goes dim, silvery kind of a light, not like a sunset or sunrise, quite different. Temmet dropped very slightly, and also the birds of their singing, they stopped singing.
Speaker 4: So the effect on the crowd is one really all.
Speaker 1: Stephen Price on the eclipse which will fully cover the sun in northern Spain and Iceland. In the UK, about ninety six percent of the sun will be covered by the moon in parts of Cornwall. And those are your top stories on the markets this morning. The Mscish Pacific Index up by seven tenths of one percent. We have got the Cospian sold by three point six percent as well, a boosts to s k Heinex and Samsung Electronics shares. Eurostok's fifty features are down by a tenth of one percent this morning. Forty one hundred fatures are two tenths lower. Oil prices eighty nine dollars fifty one for Brent crude higher on the day. Natural gas prices arising as well, although lower than where they were this time yesterday. The Dutch GTF bench markup by one point eight percent, and the Japanese NIST training at one hundred and fifty nine forty three against the dollar. Well in a moment will bring you more on those oil prices grinding higher, plus y recruiters see thousands of lawyer and banker jobs moving out of London. But another story that caught her eye this morning on how best to measure the weakness of the en, andnother story that we've been tracking on markets as well. Move over the Big Mac index, you now need the Katsu Curry Index. Luckily Jeff You from bny Mel and a regular here in Boomberg Radio, has created it. He argues the index it's a better international price comparison for how the retreat of the yen feels in Japan. It's trading, as we said, just close to a one to sixty against the dollar, not quite there this morning. But if you're reflected in purchasing power of curry dishes, by Jeff's measure of the dollar should buy just around sixty two yen. That suggests the foreign exchange market significantly undervaluing the currency. If he used the Big Mac Index, it's around eighty yen now. He uses prices and data from the world's biggest curry rice chain, coco Ichibanya for his measurements. He says that if the price of a katsu curry or a bowl of raman becomes prohibitive in Japan, it will probably lead to growing calls for a policy change, and if the goal is to bring purchasing power in line with high income countries, the index shows that the en needs to be a lot stronger. Great trying to be thinking about kats who curry. I got to visit one of my favorite places for it in London yesterday. Ten of cats who near Angel In case you wanted a recommendation, I've also had the Toyota curry at the Toyota factory in Nagoya, which where the rice comes in the shape of a car. So those are my my Katsu curry facts for you this morning. Let's bring you more now on the pressure on oil prices. As the global benchmark Brent crude hovers close to ninety dollars a barrel, or oil trading reporter Wrongway now joins us now for more Wrongway, we've seen Brent gain some twelve percent over the past five seconds. What does this tell us about how traders are reading the latest Iran war headlines? This has been burg intelligence. Now these price is going as high as one hundred and fifty dollars is being increasingly plausible.
Speaker 8: Right, So the current brand prices is essentially a very clear reflection of how the markets, how trade us are actually digesting and viewing the disruption at the Street of moves as a result of this conflict. Now, like you rightfully mentioned, Brent has climbed to above around ninety dollars a barrel, and it's the six consecutive day of gains. And that comes even as oil prices have been reacting to headlines in the past couple of days, and we are constantly flip flopping between signs of optimism as well as signs of perhaps increasing signs of risks. That shows that perhaps the conflict could be on track for escalation. Let's just take this morning, for instance, the market here in Asia opened on comments from Pakistan that both sides are close to some sort of arrangement to work out a deal, and Trump's comments latest comments quickly switched out such optimism or such hopes with comments like we totally control hormus and other comments, including the fact that he is saying that he still doesn't trust Iran. Now, primarily this price rareue, we're saying it's still being driven by supply risk sentiments.
Speaker 4: It's really not a demand story.
Speaker 8: Everything that's happening at the street, it's all about supply. Let's take the latest estimates from the USIE, for instance, they're estimating that the homeless disruptions is probably it's affecting about roughly six hundred thousand barrels per day, and they expect such disruptions or rather such an impact oil flows tour possist through and twenty twenty seven, and pretty much the testament to the fact that how this conflict could result in lasting I would say, lasting impacts or damages to the oil market or the oil landscape as a whole.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it does really complicate the situation and as you say, the hardening rhetoric from the US and around doesn't give any great optimism that we're going to see an increase in traffic de the Strait of Hormones. But what is exactly happening in that waterway today? And also, of course we're watching the moves in the Red Sea as well.
Speaker 8: Well, maybe let's talk about the Strait of Hormones since it was the first waterway that was effectively largely affected during the onset of this conflict earlier this year. So as of now, the Street of Hormones, it remains effectively close to normal commercial traffic. But of course, like what we have talked about earlier in the program, when there's money to be made, there will be actors who are willing to take the risk and allow some flows to work out and of course earn a quick but through of course mediating or arranging for the use to allow some of these barrels of oil to continue exiting the Gulf. And of course that also includes other OPEC producers like what we've mentioned earlier, such as Saudi Arabia UAE.
Speaker 4: With various forms of workarounds.
Speaker 8: So essentially, even though traffic has been I would say, by and large, commercial traffic through the Strait of Hormones is still officially close because of the risks of attacks to tankers as a result of this conflict, that is still in flux, but there will be actors, there will be tankers that would be willing to take the risk for the chance to earn higher profits during the war, and that as a result has helped to cap some of the gains in oil. So if we recall much earlier in the conflict, much perhaps in the first month of the war, we have seen prices very often breaking past one hundred dollars mark, and as the conflicts, as the conflict continues to persist, more and more players have started to adapt to this. We can essentially call this a new normal, and they started the price in various factors such as additional vessels required to do ship the ship transfers to allow the safe passage of oil or oil barrows to be brought out from the Gulf, as well as many various other workarounds such as pipelines and all these various avenues are being tapped on as the conflict continues to persist, and that has kind of helped put a cap on the oil prize gains. Of course, the second waterway they gonna be talking about the rat Sea route. Uh, the risks that occurred in that waterway, it's far more I would say, it's a bit more recent compared to the Strait of Hormos.
Speaker 4: It's kind of like a recent development.
Speaker 8: In the past month or so, we have seen perhaps a lot of we'll see the treads from Hooties.
Speaker 4: UH that has threatened that this root. And what's important about the rad Sea root is that it's UH.
Speaker 8: It's a very important waterway for players such as Saudi Arabia to draw out oil through the state pipeline we talked about earlier. So the oil that cannot come out through the Strait of Hormones, some of them it's been routed through a pipeline over to a pod that can be removed and transit through the raat Sea and continue to be brought to its bias in Asia. And when the Hooties threatened, that essentially clipped, uh, I would say, partially clipped the wings of Saudi's but very quickly, like I mentioned earlier, the market continuously looks to adapt.
Speaker 4: And very quickly we have seen.
Speaker 8: A third workaround through Egypt that was being touted, and it seems like it's going to be a vicious cycle. If more routes are being threatened, oil producers will be incentivized to look for more solutions and continue, allowing some flows to take place. Of course, if you take a step back, by and large, despite all these workarounds, oil flows are largely curtailed as a result of this war.
Speaker 1: And of course, another big factor that's affecting the markets too is what's happening in the war in Ukraine and Ukraine's attacks on Russian energy infrastructure as well, particularly oil refineries. How is that affecting global markets.
Speaker 8: It's pretty much if you view both conflicts together, it's essentially a double whammy. But I would say the specifics of the markets or the segments of the markets being affected, it's kind of different. So when we talked about the earlier US irun con flick, it was very much a cold oil story, and much of the flows being impacted would be oil being produced in the Middle East coming out to major buyers such as those in Asia. However, when we look at the Russian story, a lot more of the beneficiaries of Russian oil products would be found actually in Europe and as a result already I would say it's on the west of Swiss and of course with the recent attacks, which of course have been scaling up in the recent weeks as well, that has largely impacted the markets for oil products such as gas oil and gasoline. This damage is actually pretty severe in the recent weeks. Let's take the most recent example for instance, it is the damage is so severe that Russia, one of the major oil product producers, it has actually begun starting to import oil products like gasoline from producers like India, and based on our reporting, this has happened for the first time ever. It's really a clar cut example of how desperate things are for Russian for the Russian producers, that a producing nation is actually resulting to importing from other producers. And that is pretty much the clearest sign of the damaged the extent of damage that Russia has of taken as a result of these cumulative strikes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and as you say, compounding these issues in these two conflicts. Wrong Way Now or Oil Trading Reporter, thank you very much for bringing us through the details of all of those trands that are pushing oil prices higher. As we're watching brank crude approach that ninety dollars a barrel mark. Stay with us. More from Bloomberg Daybreak Europe coming up after this. Now in the UK, the Prime Minister's push to drive economic growth in areas outside of London could see some ninety thousand jobs move away from the capital over the next five years. For more details on the analysis and the recruitment firm, Robert Walters our UKA Politics. James Wilcock is with me now.
Speaker 4: James.
Speaker 1: First of all, what does the data from Robert Walter's show.
Speaker 9: So Steven Robert Walters are projecting these jobs are going to be going to the likes of Manchester, the Midlands and New Yorkshire. Now they put us down to a number of reasons. It's really expensive to live in London and so working from home means shifting outside London makes a lot of sense for some people. If you look at like Deloitte Goldman in the Bank of England, a lot of big organizations have already pre Andy Burnham been setting up offices outside of London. And then it has to be said they say that Andy Burnham's agenda and helping to rebounce power away from London is going to play a big factor.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 9: Look, it's important to note that London is colossal. Four point nine million people are employed living in Greater London, so ninety thousand versus four point nine million, it's still less than two percent moving out. But last year was the first year the city's population fell since the nineteen eighties barring the pandemic, and so there is it seems a bit of a trend to moving income, commerce, productivity outside of London. One caveat I will say, though, in sort of Robert Walters's report is they say that senior managers are still sticking around the capitol. It's often the junior staff who are being hired elsewhere.
Speaker 1: So where it is likely to benefit then from these jobs moving And what does it mean for the Prime Minister's ambition for growth in every postcode.
Speaker 9: I think one thing that's going to be quite interesting to watch play out is all cities is areas. There are big transport links to the areas where you can still have kind of large agglomeration effects. And in terms of this idea of growth in every postcode, Robert Walters do expect that say nine billion pounds or so of employers spending are going to be moving these regional areas like Manchester and Leeds and Birmingham all over the next five years. Now this is interesting because although we haven't yet seen the detail of what is in this devolution agenda that's supposed to come an autumn in a white paper, the big flagship promise is that a mayors are going to get shares of local income tax and business rates. And this is important because the UK is one of the most fisically centralized countries in the OECD. Only five percent of taxes and twenty percent of spendingcases are controlled locally, and so if mayors have more money to play with, they are incentivized to grow more and therefore they get a bigger take of the sort of tax. So the idea behind a lot of this is you can therefore incentivize growth. Some of the problems even with this, how quickly is it all going to come about? I mean, currently mayors have two percent of all the staff in Whitehall and less than one percent of all of Whitehall's budget. By law, they are only allocated one political advisor per mayor. So the idea that they are going to be given loads of resources sture. Some mayors will do very well, some mayors will do very badly. And they'll be regions that do well and there'll be some regions that do badly. How does the state then equalize that for poorer areas. These are all sort of the nitty gritty details that we are yet to see from this government. But you know, the idea and the idea of some jobs moving is certainly I promise someone.
Speaker 1: What does all of this then mean for London, which is still the economic engine of the UK.
Speaker 9: Right and that is going to change any big way soon. I think one thing that's interesting to note when we come back to this recruitment data is smaller and mid sized businesses, the kind of new startups that the UK prize itself.
Speaker 4: They're now being started elsewhere.
Speaker 9: The costs of doing business are much much much higher in London, and so London has the big giants playing in And if you've listened to Chancellor John Healey recently, the cost of doing business is one of his new favorite phrases and one we're likely to hear a lot more about how that impacts London is although London is still going to be seen as this big growth engine a lot of the UK policy makers now are very much invested in creating other growth engines around the UK. In the long run, that will be better for London because it will be and there are many different places where growth is coming from, where taxes are coming from. In the short run, so much wealth is based in London that it is going to mean that London is the obvious target for any kind of big tax raising measures or other ways to raise revenue to get these other councils, these other malities going.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to Bloomberg Daybreak Europe.
Speaker 3: If you're enjoying the podcast, give us a follow, leave a rating or review, and maybe send it to that one friend or colleague who's always trying to keep up with the news.
Speaker 1: And if one podcast today isn't enough for you, you can also listen to us live every weekday from six am in London on DAB Radio, on tune in and on the Bloomberg Business app
Speaker 3: Or if you've got a smart speaker nearby, just say play Bloomberg Radio