Speaker 1: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer, speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen. Just go to Indeed dot com slash pod katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need.
Speaker 2: All right, guys, Welcome back, Welcome back, Earn your Lesion Podcast Episode six, Time Flies. This is our sixth edition. We got a lot to cover.
Speaker 3: This week, A lot going on, A lot going on in.
Speaker 2: Our world for sure, a lot going on. So first of all, before we start, we want to say thank you guys for rocking with us, thank you for your feedback, thank you for your DMS. Your message is very encouraging. Shout out to the UK, shout out to South Africa and all of our international listeners all over the world.
Speaker 4: That's always love when we get the international feedback because it's like, wow, the reach is so strong. It's like extremely humbling, and it's finding that not just here in the United States we're listening, but the message is being spread.
Speaker 3: So that's dope.
Speaker 2: That's dope. It's definitely dope for sure. So all right, we're gonna jump right into it with the number one sports topic of the Weekion Williamson and the Blue Devils. So for anybody that is not in tune of what's going on, Duke North Carolina big rivalry, probably one of the biggest rivalry in sports, not just not just college basketball sports period, right, So they had a game and that's like their rival. So they had a game and Zion being the star that he is right now and he is the phenom of college basketball. So the tickets were selling for I think ten up to ten thousand dollars on some sites, and five thousand and two thousands, so they were actually comparable to resale prices for Super Bowl tickets.
Speaker 4: According to vivid Seats, the prices, some of the price was actually higher than the lowest super Bowl ticket.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's crazy. So the game comes and everybody's there, Spike Lee's there, David Robinson is there, President Obama's there. It's crazy, right, and then, in a freak accident the first play of the game, in the first thirty seconds, Zion literally blows his sneaker apart. I've never seen that in the game before. It blows a sneaker apart, and it's done. He's hurt, he's malone spring, So you know, we want to wish him, you know, speedy recovery. That was just a very weird and very unfortunate situation. But the whole conversation brought into a lot of different things that need to be talked about and need to be addressed. And really the number one thing is the revenue that college sports, in particular big time college basketball and big time college football brings in, and we need to look at that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, one of the things that immediately came to our attention was like, is it worth him playing again?
Speaker 3: Right? Because this guy is obviously going to be.
Speaker 4: The number one pick in the NBA Draft in the summer, and he's set to make millions of dollars from his NBA contract as well as any shoe deal or shoe company that signs him. And people are arguing, hey, this kid is a student. He should not be paid for his service.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's how people are saying that, do you know you're getting paid in a scholarship and all that, But I don't think people fully understand how complex the situation is. So that's what we do here. We try to make very complex situations easy to understand for everybody. So that's what we're going to do hopefully with this. Right, So we're look at March Madness, right, So March Madness. It's a fitting time since we're at the end of February and March Madness will be coming up in a few weeks. So March Madness is a three week basketball tournament for Division one basketball that determines the national champion. Right. Every year, you know, you fill out your brackets, you you you know, watch the games, you have the the buzzer beaters, you have the final four, it's the whole deal. Right. So the NC double A, Right, the NC double A is the governing body for college athletics. Right, So the NC double A their main source of revenue is March Madness.
Speaker 4: Right. And the March Madness, like you said, is almost a month of basketball games. Sixty four teams make it in obviously, just over thirty plus games every weekend.
Speaker 3: The field gets trindled down, but the money that is gross.
Speaker 2: Is no, no, no, it's crazy al right. So March madd twenty seventeen, three weeks of March Madness, the NC DOUBLEA made one billion dollars, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for the first time, record breaking, record.
Speaker 2: Breaking them out. That's how much revenue they made. The American Gambling Gaming Association says the number of brackets with his seventy million, I mean seventy million people will play brackets, office pools, gambling, friends, bars, whatever, right. Nine point two billion dollars is gambled on the tournament. Right, So the NC DOUBLEA makes one billion, nine billion is actually gambled on it. So that represents ninety percent. That one billion dollars represents ninety percent of the NC doublea's annual revenue.
Speaker 3: Did More and Buffett have a billion dollar contest. Yeah, per perfect brack of perfect bracket of billion dollars for the PERFCT back.
Speaker 2: So in twenty ten, the NC double A signs a fourteen year deal with CBS and Turner for ten billion dollars for March Madness. Right, so to cover the tournament, they have a TV deal for ten billion dollars. Then in twenty sixteen they have an extension for twenty thirty two for eight more billion.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So the first contract is supposed to run from twenty ten to twenty twenty four. They see how lucrative it is. By twenty sixteen, they're like, all right, let's reup.
Speaker 3: We're going to.
Speaker 4: Reup now so that we cant the rights to it. So CBS has a few channels and networks. Obviously TNT is Turn of Sports, and they have TBS and I think True TV. Those are the four networks that cover so you don't miss a game anymore. We used to it only was like channel. It was only CBS when we used to watch it, and then they were like, no, we got to cover all these games, so now you can't miss a game.
Speaker 2: So all right, So how the money is broken down is interesting and it's very complex, so I'll try to make it as easy to understand as possible. Ninety six percent of that billion dollars goes to members membership different colleges, right, And they break it down so each conference gets a piece, so they have two hundred and twenty million dollar pot from the NCAA tournament. Then they split it up amongst conferences. So each game that a team wins, their conference gets paid, right, and then the further they go in the tournament, the more money the conference gets paid.
Speaker 4: So example of a conference would be like the ACC or the Biggies Big twelve SEC.
Speaker 3: Those our conferences PAC twelve right exactly.
Speaker 2: So then from there it's up to the conference to break it down to the individual teams. So it's a hierarchy system. The nc DOUBLEA gets it, then they give it to the conferences, and then the conferences gives it to the teams, right, So it's like a three tier system. So but the problem is that when people say it's not as easy as just paying, so you look at it and you say, okay, this is making billion dollars. They have a ten billion dollar deal. How come the athletes aren't getting paid? Well, only one third of the teams are actually profitable, exactly right, So two thirds of the teams aren't actually profitable. So the one third of the teams that are profitable, they are paying for the two thirds of the teams that are not profitable. That's just basketball, but the NC Double A has a bunch of different sports. In almost every single sport except for basketball, is not profitable. So now you have pretty much a handful of teams right in the grand scheme of things that are funded every program.
Speaker 4: Right, So it's like the kid who plays golf or or the kid who plays lacrosse, baseball, field hockey.
Speaker 2: And then there's a thing called Title nine.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: So Title nine came in years ago, and that made it where you have to have an equal amount of women teams as men teams.
Speaker 3: Whatever sports you're offering, you have to offer.
Speaker 2: So now that cut the budget even more, and now the big revenue sport is paying for not just every male but female sports as well. So it's a very diluted system that they're using the top tier money earners to pay for everybody.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: So then it gets even more complex because that's the NC Double A is basketball where the real money is made is football. So the NC double A one football department is different from the NC Double A. So now we have to go into football.
Speaker 3: Yes, football is a huge generator of money because number one, it's simple math. Right, if you have eighty to one hundred thousand people.
Speaker 4: Coming to watch one sporting event and paying one hundred dollars per ticket, you're gonna gross way more than an arena that holds twenty thousand for basketball.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: The only thing is like, yeah, basketball has more games. But if a team has eight home games and they sell out, which they do, like these big schools sell out every game and they're getting one hundred and ten thousand people to come in, it feels in comparison.
Speaker 2: No, it's different. So, okay, we had a we looked at Forbes list for twenty eighteen and the top five football teams their revenue. Right, so the top football team was, well, we'll start with number five. Number five was Ohio State. They had a revenue of one hundred and twenty million and they had profit of sixty nine million. Then we go to Alabama one hundred and twenty seven million revenue in fifty nine million profit. Michigan is number three, one hundred and twenty seven million, seventy five million profit. Texas Longhorns number two one hundred and thirty three million with eighty seven million dollars of profit and the number one team football team last year with Texas A and M with the revenue of one hundred and forty eight million with one hundred and seven million dollar profit. This is just football, yeah, And that's nothing doing any other sports football, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Like, that's just generating money for the school as well, like you said, and the one thing we know about Texas is football is king. Right, there's the reason why the Cowboys are the most profitable team in the NFL. So not only are they generating money, but we took a look at where the money is going. So when they argue, hey, athletes shouldn't be paid because they're going to school for free, well here's the breakdown. So those numbers that you just ran off, right, so we can talk about how much is going to scholarship. So from that money that was very generated from Ohio State, about twenty million that goes.
Speaker 3: To school to the school scholarships for all the sports.
Speaker 2: So they made one hundred and twenty million, right, twenty twenty million went to scholarship exactly. That means that we're done. Where the all the one hundred go, We're.
Speaker 3: Gonna get them. So number four, you say Alabama, they spend seventeen million in scholarships. Okay.
Speaker 4: Then number three Michigan we have twenty five million in scholarships. Number two Texas they have thirteen million of scholarships. And then number one Texas A and M ten million of scholarships. And the reason Texas A and M is number one this year is because a lot of people don't know. It's like they have a large amount of boosters that donate money to the program. So that money just gets put into a pile of revenue because we're giving it to the university to help improve conditions. Number one thing they want is they want their football team to win. That's it, like that eblily, that comes down to, we want our football team to win. We'll pay money, will hire national championship coaches from other schools just so that we can win.
Speaker 2: The Texas Longhorns has their own network.
Speaker 3: So that's crazy. Like that is in itself.
Speaker 2: They are like not to cut you off. But the conversation of this is a conversation that literally can take an hour, right because, like I said, there's so many different levels involved with how much money is being generated. You have Bowl games, you have TV contracts, you have the Big Twelve that they have the Big twelve network. Texas is in the Big twelve conference. Yes, yes, they're in the Big twelve. Big twelve has its own network, but the Texas long on have their own network.
Speaker 3: They have their own completely separate of the Big Twelve. And we get that here in New York. Like before the Big East, before acc SEC had their own channels. Texas, the school, the University of Texas had its own channel, and they still have their own channel. It shows you nothing but Texas and exclusive access. Really, what they want to see is football.
Speaker 2: No, it's different, it's different. And then can we just go because we don't want to stay on this topic for too long, but it's such it's so crazy, right, So we have to talk about the coaches how much money they made?
Speaker 3: Right? So the coaches are the guys who bring the recruits to the school and they make money. They make money from their own contracts and they get endorsed.
Speaker 2: So the top four, how much did the top football coach made.
Speaker 3: Nick Saban, So, I mean he's one of the greatest coaches all time.
Speaker 2: Eight point three million University of Alabama. Nick Saban made eight point three million. How much did the top basketball coach make?
Speaker 3: So, coach k made eight points so nine million dollars last year in salary.
Speaker 2: That's the Duke coach. Ironically enough, we're talking about Zion in private school too. So Duke, yes, private school and the coach makes nine million dollars a year. All right, we won't even go through the list of coaches because there's that's crazy. Then we got endorsement deals. That's another avenue that they make money. Right, So the number one endorsement deal team is UCLA. They get twelve million dollars from under Armour. Right, you have Louisville gets ten million. Texas they get nine million. So now you have ten million dollar, twelve million, nine million dollar endorsement deals in top of on top of TV, on top of merch. But so gotta go to want more category stadiums, right, So the largest how much how many people do you think the largest football stadium college college stadium polls?
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm gonna say one hundred and twelve.
Speaker 2: Thousand, one hundred and nine thousand, Michigan and Arbor Michigan University. The football stadium holes one hundred and nine thousand. They sell out every game, every single game. How much money you think they're making off of that? They have one hundred and nine that's a that's a town, one hundred and nine thousand people fitting the football. That's more than NFL stadiums.
Speaker 3: Hole, there's plenty that don't hold on arena and so like. From that, So that that money that they generate those schools from the football, right, some of those that other there's an other category.
Speaker 4: So yeah, the scholarships are one. The coaching and staffing is a budget, and then they have the other budget. So and the others that could be for facilities, so they add wings to a stadium, or they add a new training facility at a university.
Speaker 2: But you know what the best part about this whole situation is n C double A is a nonprofit organization.
Speaker 3: Soot that applot twist.
Speaker 2: That's the that's the craziest part. All of this money that generated the n C double A is a nonprofit organization. That's a different conversation. Man, Now we have to go into a personal story.
Speaker 4: But personal you know what, I'm gonna start the personal story because I remember, like I was big on video games and in the early two thousands, Uh, they had this game called March Madness and at that same time you.
Speaker 3: Were in school. Yeah, I'll never forget that conversation. Yeah, I'm playing March Madness.
Speaker 2: So prior to my career business, I.
Speaker 3: Was a basketball player that was in basketball.
Speaker 2: Little known fact. I was a Division one basketball player, right, So I played D one for two years. So yes, the EA Sports, Yes, EA Sports, which is if anybody's familiar with sports, EA Sports is video games. That's they made Madden.
Speaker 4: They made well NBA a lot used to be thing, not so much anymore, but Madden is their top game right now.
Speaker 2: So they had so EA Sports used to have video games for college football on college basketball yep, Division one college football and Division one college basketball, and they had every Division one school and they had the player's likeness. They they had their name, but they had their likeness. They couldn't say your name, but they put your number and like your attribute. So if you were a good shooter, then your rating was like an eighty or above. Right, So when was that like two thousand and When was I in college, I think two thousand and six something like that. I don't know around that time, mid two thousands. So yes, when I was in college, University of Maryland, Baltimore County D one school number fifteen, I was number fifteen, I was using you in the game, and yeah, he was playing with me. It was like it was crazy because we used to so we were just happy, you know, being in college. I never was a really good well, I never really was a really good video game player. I wasn't in the video games, but my friends was, my teammates were, so we would go and we played video games. But it was just cool to see somebody that it was made in your likeness, Like it looked like me right like, so I'm like, that's kind of crazy, like to have somebody in my likeness on a video game. We wasn't thinking that they was using us and we wasn't getting paid. So what somebody did right at Obannon, that's a different story. Shout shout out at Obannon.
Speaker 3: So they have people who only know at Obannon for this. But this guy was like the national player.
Speaker 2: If you don't know who Ed O'Bannon is do your research.
Speaker 4: Nineteen ninety five UCLA National Champ, Player of the years, legend, legend that.
Speaker 2: But then he changes so he changed the game completely because he realizes that EA Sports. So we talked about all these other revenue sources, right, video games, billion dollar industry. EA Sports making million dollars a year, and the colleges are getting paid off of that as well because they have to license their name to use them in the video games. So the colleges are getting paid millions in EA Sports are getting paid millions from video games, but the kids wasn't getting any money. So they have a class action lawsuit and they won. So what happen is that anybody that played Division I sports football or basketball, I think like from a ten year period that was featured in that video game was part of that class action lawsuit. And lo and behold, I was part of that class action lawsuit. So they cut me a check. They cut me a check. So around like probably like three years ago, four years ago, I get a check for like eighteen hundred dollars.
Speaker 3: Look at that, it wasn't.
Speaker 2: Bad, but it just goes to show you that there's so many different ways how colleges are making money a lot. So I know there's an argument that students are getting scholarships and that's payment, and it look, it is valuable because I was I was on a scholarship. I didn't have to pay for college. I appreciated my college experience. But but we can't act like a nonprofit organization that makes billion dollars a year in schools that are making billions and millions of dollars off of two sports. We have to find a way to fairly compensate the players, or if we're not going to compensate them, then we at least have to let them go into professional sports out of high school if they choose to, and not make them go to college. Like you can't make somebody go to college and then not pay them.
Speaker 4: It's the only thing amateur about this is that they don't get paid. They saying, oh, it's an amateur it's really a fum system. It's like the minor leagues because in football you can't it's a free trial. Yeah, you can't go unless you do three years. In NBA and they're trying to change that now you have to go for at least one year.
Speaker 2: It's a free trial.
Speaker 3: But in other sports. That doesn't hold true.
Speaker 2: It doesn't hold true.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So like if I wanted to play golf, I can do that as a teenager, hockey, teenager, baseball, teenager soccer from Freddie you do.
Speaker 2: I went to school with Freddie you do. Highly suspicious. You know he wasn't fourteen. I don't know. That's a different conversation. Highly suspicious. That football and basketball are the only sports that require you to go to college. Extremely suspicions. And look at the population of the people who play those sports. Extremely suspicious. All right, Okay, well, hopefully we can change it in their future.
Speaker 4: Absolutely all right. So we're gonna move into the into the next topic. We'll start with the line Mek Mills said in so on Trauma they told Caps stand up if you want to play for a team, and all these teammates they say things they woke. So one of the things that happened is in the past week was that the NFL reached a settlement with Kelan Kaepernick in his case of collusion against him. So it's pretty interesting because people are taking different sides on it. A lot of people are saying, hey, Cap sold out because he settled, and other people are looking at it like, yo, he won, because the settlement in a sense means that there's some.
Speaker 3: Form of guilt that the NFL had.
Speaker 4: Now we'll never know because of the terms of the conditions of the settlement. So it's a different type of take on it. But we're gonna go into a different approach.
Speaker 2: It's different. Yeah. But even before we even go into that, it's you know, nobody knows how much money got paid. It's rumored that he got a hundred million.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're saying between sixty eighty million.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even I heard one hundred. But let's say he was a hundred hypothetically speaking, right, So, I mean that is a lot of money. One hundred million dollars a lot of money. But in the grand scheme of things, if you think about it as thirty two NFL teams, right, so they divide that equally amongst each other. That's three point two million per team, per.
Speaker 3: Owner, which is not anything to them.
Speaker 2: A dropping a bucket, A dropping a bucket, Right, So, I mean the league made fourteen billion dollars last year.
Speaker 3: And he lost his salary, right he was getting I think the he was on paces made twenty million dollars he had two more years. I granted he did opt out of his contract, but he opt out with the intent that he was going to sign another deal.
Speaker 2: So all right, so Colin Kaepernick, before we even go into the plot twist on it, ratings are down, yeah, right, so that.
Speaker 4: So from so Cap starts his protest for social injustice, specifically police brutality in twenty sixteen, and he's out twenty seventeen. So the ratings go down for two years in a row. Now, last year the ratings did go up five percent for the NFL, but a lot of that could be contributed to the surprise of these teams and great players like so example Kansas City, Right, nobody expected Mahomes to have that type of season. So people watch, and you know the Tom Brady story, right, can't he do it again? So people watch, and they just happened to have great games on at prime time time on Sundays and Monday nights. So that helped with the ratings. But for two years it was going down. Now they're also this episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are born, and sure they definitely can be, but understanding a professional's routine shows us how they achieve their success, little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to save, plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association member fdic.
Speaker 3: Erners. What's up?
Speaker 4: You ever walk into a small business and everything just works like The checkout is fast, the receipts are digital, tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds Odds are they're using Square? We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners. Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most Ready. To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash go backslash eyl to learn more. That's Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate. Let's Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward.
Speaker 5: Hi, I'm Sherry from Life Source Water. Did you not Bay Area cities add chemicals like chlorine and chlorine to disinfect the tapwater, on top of contaminants they can't handle, like microplastics and forever chemicals. At Life Source, we believe if your water should support your family's health. Our whole house water system filters every drop that enters your home, delivering clean, healthy water to every tap, shower, and appliance. Family owned for three generations, we build every system, install it and offer factory direct pricing. So end your water worries and upgrade to the essential home appliance you'll love using every day, drink, bathe, cook, and live clean with Life Source Water. Now we are offering a double dip in savings free basic installation plus an extra two hundred and fifty dollars off that's up to twelve hundred dollars in savings. Call our factory at one eight hundred Water ninety nine or visit life sourcewater dot com hurry offer in September thirty.
Speaker 6: Warranty limitations apply.
Speaker 3: I mean, game, the Super Bowl actually did go down ratings, and some people are chieving it.
Speaker 2: Super Bowl last year was one hundred and three million people. That was a seven year low. Yeah, So fi year was ninety eight million, Yeah, which was a low, eleven year low in two thousand and eight.
Speaker 3: So so some people attributing to that to the Kaepernick effect.
Speaker 2: Yes, we don't know, but probably it had something.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean people are on social media saying, look, we stay with CAP, and I think we've taken that stance that we stay with CAP. And it's nothing against anybody who is in the armed forces, Like we love and support our armed forces and understand that their job is honorable, but we are we're looking at it from both sides.
Speaker 2: So the armed forces, that's what this whole thing was spun into, right, Yeah, he was he was just CAF was protesting for police police brutality, and people were saying, this is not patriot How do we get to this point with no no, no legitimate question. How do we get to this point with armed forces?
Speaker 3: We're got So when we grew up watching NBA and NFL, this we didn't think about this. This is not something we thought about.
Speaker 2: It's new.
Speaker 3: It's a new thing. It's like, over the past ten years, it's become a.
Speaker 2: When we say the thing, people don't know the national anthem played before a game and televised. Yeah, it's not something that has always.
Speaker 3: Happen, yeh.
Speaker 4: So that started in two thousand and nine. Teams and owners were saying, hey, we want to show signs of patriotism, right, so how can we do that. Well, we'll come up with a list of things we can do. We'll broadcast a national anthem, we'll have flyovers, we'll have flags that are field length, right, we'll have our players standing out during the national anthem to show signs of patriots. And they even start and people probably didn't realize this, but they started to do surprise visits from troops who had been overseas and they came home and surprised their families.
Speaker 3: Little did people know that the Department of Defense was paying for.
Speaker 2: This, So plot twists. The Department of Defense paid the NFL five point four million dollars between two thousand and eleves in twenty fourteen. The National Guard paid six point seven million between twenty and thirteen and twenty fifteen to do these ceremonies, and it's in their budget as recruitment item. So how did this all come about John McCain.
Speaker 4: Ironically enough, so John and Senator Jeff Flake, both from Jeff Flake.
Speaker 2: But the reason why this is so ironic is that John McCain rest in peace. He If you don't know his story, obviously you probably heard of him, right. He was a senator, he ran for president, he lost, but he was also a pow for I think like seven years in Vietnam and he broke his arms. They torched him severe, right, So he came home and he became endured by the public because he didn't he didn't he didn't fold because they could have let him go because John McCain's father, I think, was a politician, very powerful man, and they actually offered him his freedom, but he said he wouldn't go. Until all of his comrades were free. So, long story short, John McCain is a war hero, right, so he looks into this, him and Senator Jeff Flake, who are both Republican senators, and they find paid patriotism. So he is offended by this, right because he feels that you can't pay for patriotism. You can't pay under the gaze of this is just being done out of the goodness of our hearts.
Speaker 3: Where we are patriot that's why we're doing this.
Speaker 2: You're paying NFL owners as a recruitment tool to recruit to the armed services.
Speaker 4: So a part of it is that they didn't only play the NFL. They paid the NBA, they paid soccer and Major League Baseball. But out of that budget, right, So I think maybe six point nine they did in twenty fifteen, six point one million of that six point nine million went to the NFL, and they didn't even go to all teams. It just went to the top sixteen highest rated teams. So like the Giants, the Jets, the Patriots, Washington.
Speaker 2: It was so when they looked, so John McCain and Jeff Flake look into it, right, and they find out that there's one hundred and twenty two contracts between the Pentagon and sports leagues that nobody knew about exactly. They didn't make this public, They just found it. So when they found out about it, they feel they need to make it public. Right, so they have a whole investigation. The pay patriotism thing comes up. John McCain vows to change it. He doesn't because it doesn't change, but it's still something that not a lot of people are fully aware of. Ironically enough, the year that John McCain and Jeff Flake made this investigation was twenty.
Speaker 3: And sixteen, twenty fifteen, fifteen, next year.
Speaker 2: And then the next year Colin Kaepernick starts to kneel twenty sixteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so players weren't even required to come out before two thousand and nine. They stayed in the locker room during the national anthem.
Speaker 4: It wasn't televised, but once the NFL realized that, hey, people want to see this, they started charging.
Speaker 3: They started charging ad dollars. So like it always comes right, So is it is it patriotism or is it capitalism? Right? Right?
Speaker 2: So paid patriotism?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: If I could have broadcasting dollars like people paying for ads and commercials, am I going to show the national anthem.
Speaker 3: No, but if the federal government pays me more than the commercials do, then I'll show it. Right.
Speaker 4: So then people were an uproar, Hey, this guy is kneeling during during the national anthem. Yeah, but ten years even three years prior, guys were in the locker room. Who knew what they were doing? Who knows what they were doing in the locker room?
Speaker 2: Well, the thing and this is why. So this is the thing, the whole theme behind our show. Right, So we look at sports, entertainment and business, but we look at the backstory because it always comes back to the money. Always, it always comes back to the money somehow. Right, So all of this was done because the NFL was paid to do this.
Speaker 3: And that it was part of our fabric.
Speaker 4: Now now every game we watch the flag and again it's nothing against our forces or military we love and support.
Speaker 2: But and I'm not and I want to make this clear too, I'm not saying that you shouldn't stand up for the national anthem or you should stand up for the national anthem. Everybody's entitled to do what they want. We live, we live in a free country. But the thing about it is, don't act like something is done out of the goodness of your heart when you're getting paid to do it. Marshall Lynch. Marshall Lynch, he said, he said he never stood and they just realized this two years ago. He said, I haven't stood in ten years.
Speaker 4: It was because it wasn't a like, nobody paid attention to it until one guy will two him and Eric Reid decide that listen, we're gonna do a peaceful process and look at the backlash from that.
Speaker 2: Hmm, well yeah, do you have it, ladies.
Speaker 3: And gentlemen, patriotism of capitalism?
Speaker 2: You choose, all right, our last topic of discussions, hot topic. We're going to fashion. We're going to fashion. We're going to high end fashion. Gucci, Montclair. But we'll start with Gucci. Okay, if you haven't been under the rock for the last week and a half, you know that Gucci is in deep water right now because they made a hurtleneck that it's like a black face thing. It turns up and it has red lips. I'm sure you've probably seen it. You know what I'm talking about. Okay, Then Montclair as a Samball jacket, Yeah, you know what.
Speaker 4: My clare is so disturbing. Last year they went in the news for having the black face patch on the sweatshirt last year. Okay, twenty eighteen. This year they said, you know what will top it. We're gonna put black faces all over a bubble jacket and put it out for retail.
Speaker 2: Okay. Then Birdberry decides is a good idea to have a hoodie with a noisance on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're calling it the Nautical the nautical hoodie.
Speaker 2: Oh man. And then Proud of did something.
Speaker 4: Pride had the monkey pendants in the window and they were putting on their bag.
Speaker 3: It had a big monkey displays having right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, al sharpedon came the whole big thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Prior to that, we had H and M.
Speaker 2: H and M had the coolest monkey in the junk with a black kid wearing.
Speaker 3: It, and they thought that was a good idea.
Speaker 2: Okay, So obviously this isn't a coincidence. Right, they're doing this on purpose. So why are they doing it on purpose? There's a lot of different theories. There's a thing called outrage marketing. I don't know if anybody's familiar with outrage marketing, but that's pretty much you can kind of guess what it is by the name where you just shock value. Right, any publicity is good publicity. You just do crazy stuff, you get your name out there, you get some backlash, you apology, apologize, but it doesn't really hurt your brand, and it hasn't really hurt their brand. Yeah, I mean these companies brands because.
Speaker 3: H and M.
Speaker 4: Yeah, H and M and eight last year April they put out the coolest monkey sweatshirt and they saw a decline, temporary, temporary client for two months, but they're twenty eighteen. Retail sales were up five percent, so people still supporting a brand that they were temporary outraged and people wanted answers, and then people realize, you know what, these clothes are affordable.
Speaker 3: Son, buy it.
Speaker 2: We live in a disposable society, right, And people lack discipline, so it boycott for a week and then they just forget about it because something else comes about. So is that why these companies are doing this? Because as I said, I don't think it's a coincidence.
Speaker 3: How many times can we be slapping it and it's.
Speaker 2: All high end fashion brands or H and M is a high end fashion brand, but so Gucci and Prada Prada and Montclair and Birdberry. So now they're saying that, Okay, it's a boycott on Gucci, right, I'm not apposed to that. But Gucci is actually owned by a larger corporation, right, the curring group, I believe it's called UH and they own YSL, Balenciaga, Alexander McQueen, Gucci other brands as well. So are you boycotting all of these brands as well?
Speaker 3: Why are we wearing these brands.
Speaker 2: To begin with? To begin with? Why are we wearing these brands? Right? We love Tia one of my favorite rappers.
Speaker 3: You're gonna You're gonna hold that forever. I'm never gonna let you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: In the South, I wasn't a big fan of Southern hip hop music. I know we got a lot of listeners in the South. I love the South, Atlanta, Florida.
Speaker 3: We had that debate. I was a guy.
Speaker 2: I love the South, but I wasn't huge on the South hip hop until Ti. Because t I had, he had swagy. I can relate to him and his lyrics. He was a good lyricist, dope. I just like him.
Speaker 3: I still like him, but I.
Speaker 2: Don't understand when he so he calls for a boycott, and then he starts out his paragraph was saying, I'm a seventh figure year customer. It's interesting because you have a clothing line, yeah cool, which stands for a king of oneself. You have a clothing line that stands that the Akroman is a king of oneself, and you spend seven figures a year with.
Speaker 3: Gucci, another brand, Like I see it.
Speaker 4: When you see these people outside, you would think, hey, heaby, once in a while, I would sprinkle my own clothes on, if not all the time, to promote.
Speaker 3: My own brand.
Speaker 2: It's confusing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's let's let's spend a million dollars.
Speaker 4: It's very confusal in his comments, like look, why don't you spend that million dollars trying to help another brand get off the ground or put it in your own brand.
Speaker 2: I don't understand that. Yeah, And like I said, I don't want to Bashti. I liked, I actually likes one of one of the best. But I didn't understand that. And I didn't understand a three month boycott. I don't understand what do we do after the average person maybe has one Gucci item, if that two, they buy a Gucci item once every five years. It's not like you're going grocery shopping. I think celebrities a lot of times that I touch your reality three months it's like, you know, you're not going to shop write or A and P.
Speaker 3: Like that's what I'm saying, like the celebrities. So Future said that he spends three three hundred thousand dollars a month on clothing, Like what what are you buying?
Speaker 2: Why are you spending money on clothes when you can get stuff.
Speaker 3: For free exactly or create your own.
Speaker 2: Okay, So this is a pretty disturbing issue, right.
Speaker 4: And one one of the other things that they were saying is that you know what these mistakes quote unquote are happening because we're not represented at the top of the creative chain when it comes to these high end fashion right. But well, that's true, that that is true, and we've recently seen Virgil take over at Louis Vaton.
Speaker 2: So but how many times are you gonna Okay, if I come into your house, right, I can't tell you to feed me, to give me a blanket. You can give me that if you want to, Like, you don't have to treat me good. It's your house, right, Like how many times can we demand somebody to treat us appropriately instead of treating ourselves appropriate?
Speaker 3: That so dap Dan, who is one of to create directors at Gucci, like he is outraged by it.
Speaker 4: Obviously he should and that Beudan's a legend for those who don't know him, and he had to head the CEO Gucci come to hallm to talk about the issues that he's facing and demanded some action.
Speaker 2: What is that going to do?
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, I love that, but it sounded good to kind of harlem and talk to.
Speaker 2: Who can't who cares. And the thing about it is the reason why the TI I think is interesting is Dad he by him saying he spends seven figures a year on Gucci, It's not just saying that he spends seven figures a yeah, Gucci brings up a larger issue right where athletes, entertainers, rappers specifically rappers have given free endorsements for years and companies have waked the benefits of it, and they never they don't pay these people to do that. Right, It's a status symbol and you feel that you're you know, you're above somebody else by saying that you're wearing these things or you're driving these cars.
Speaker 3: I have made it to a certain Chris.
Speaker 2: Remember Christal. Christal was a little known champagne brand for years, and somehow I don't Big. I think Big was the first one that championed Christal for some reason, I don't know. He was also the first one to find Jacob to Jewels a different story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but so I mean he's champion it because it was the most expensive thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it was weird that he just found it randomly.
Speaker 3: I'm sure like maybe somebody in it.
Speaker 2: So they had gold bottles, that was So he starts talking about Christal, and then jay Z starts to champion it, and then it just goes crazy. Every rapper has gold bottles Chrystal, and their sales went up. Don't quote me on this, but it went up like three hundred percent in the cost of a five year timeframe, directly related to rappers. There's no argument about it. Then the CEO of the company says he doesn't want to be associated with those kind of people.
Speaker 3: Right, So what Then Jay comes out with the lyrics I used to drink.
Speaker 2: Then it's a band on Chris. Okay, so we've seen this play before, absolutely, and so it didn't staying alone with Jay Z. Were talked about jay a lot because he's a cultural icon and very important person. So remember Iceberg, Iceberg man. That was. That was late nineties, late nineties, Iceberg man iconic. When I was in high school, if you had an Iceberg sweater, you were elite, elite level.
Speaker 4: So Iceberg had the cartoon they had like Snoopy Snoopy?
Speaker 2: Did they license that? They had to get that license, right, Mickey Mouse Snoop. But those sweaters are like three hundred, five hundred dollars. It was Cougie and Iceberg.
Speaker 3: Iceberg was crazy.
Speaker 2: Iceberg was the shirts with two jay Z all he was wearing was Iceberg. He had let me have the lines that Iceberg e spress with IV on the elastic, So everybody wanted Iceberg. Jay Z was talking about Iceberg in every lyric. So you figure, Okay, we're spending so much money, we're talking about it.
Speaker 3: Let's go talk to these guys.
Speaker 2: Why don't we try to get endorsement deal, Let's have a meeting with them. So him and Dame go to Iceberg and they try to get an endorsement, and they say no, thank you. When we don't make these clothes not interested, not interested, but that note.
Speaker 3: Turns into something extremely profitable.
Speaker 2: Yes, so they say no, and they decide to do their own thing and make a clothing brand called Rockaware based off of Rockefeller Records. Rockaware. Right, So now they get the bright idea to start Rockawaar, which they probably should have done from the beginning, but better late than ever.
Speaker 3: Rockaway eight mil.
Speaker 2: Eighteen months, yes, eight years later from the exception date. They sell Rockaway for two hundred and four million dollars. You see what happens when you when you stop asking people for something and you do something for yourself.
Speaker 3: And that same time what happens to Iceberg.
Speaker 2: Though, fell off the cliff of the earth, disappeared for they make it a research.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're coming back now, but they disappear for fifteen to twenty years.
Speaker 2: Why disappear because the raptors stopped talking about them.
Speaker 3: We don't have we don't want you, thank you, We'll move on.
Speaker 2: So I don't understand why this is such a hard concept to understand. That's a perfect case study. They blew up Iceberg. They approached Iceberg for Iceberg says no, They start their own company. Iceberg falls off the cliff of the earth. Their company that they start, they sell for a quarter billion dollars.
Speaker 3: In eight years.
Speaker 4: I mean they did that with the look or too, so like they did Crystal and that turned into Armadale and that turned into a space saying, so I mean, alright, cool, you don't want us to drink your stuff, We'll make a home.
Speaker 2: When will we learn when?
Speaker 4: I don't know, I don't know. Can we just on burbery burbery really quickly? So the new hoodie is like if you've seen a new hoodie, like there's no purpose, right. So the creative director at Birdbury is now with Carlo Tucci and he's been like known for in the fashion world for many years. He was the creative director at Givanci and Jay said his.
Speaker 2: Name in the song too Ricardo.
Speaker 3: So my thing is like, yes, is he from our culture? No? But has he been around it enough? Absolutely right. He collaborated with Kanye to do the Watch Thrown album cover. He did the What's the album? What's the label?
Speaker 4: He had music when they put out their Cruise Summer he did the cover with him. He's collaborated with Jay and Beyonce for their tours. Same thing with Rihanna. So he's been around the culture enough. There's no reasonable explanation why you would be the creative director. You saw that this design was coming down the line, and you pressed, okay, not.
Speaker 2: The worst part. The worst part that they apologized, and in the apology they apologize suicide, suicide. We're sensitive about the suicide.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, we're not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But and then they say racial insensitivity, it's not something to be joked. Thousands of black people were lynched in the South over one hundred years. It's not racial insensitivity, it's lynching. They don't even apologize for that aspect yet.
Speaker 4: Well they I think that one of the models apologized and they cut her quote a little bit, so she did apologize. I mean, one of the models who was in the show did not want it them to do this, right, She was like, listen, don't don't do this. This is ridiculous. You shouldn't walk down the runway with this. And they went ahead and did it anyway, And then that was part of her apology. That's suicide is not something that we should joke with. And then the racial sensitivity, but again, like who okay that to go down your runway?
Speaker 2: You know what it doesn't even matter who cares. Stop supporting it, yeah, or just take it. But I'm not asking for an apology. Somebody don't know how to treat me. I'm asking for them to apologize to me. They've already showed me who they are.
Speaker 4: I believe them when they show you who you are. When somebody shows you who they are, you should believe them.
Speaker 2: Save your apology. I'm good, all right, Okay, guys, thank you for rocking with us. That is the end. But before we leave, we want to announce some exciting news we got. All you guys been asking about YouTube. It's here. We are on YouTube now. I will be posting the link. We will be posting a link on our page. I'll post a link on my personal page. We already have the YouTube channel. Earn your Leisure is YouTube. You can go on. Please subscribe, Please subscribe, And then we will have other stuff that we have coming down the pipeline as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we got some cool things coming down the way.
Speaker 4: And before we go on this episode, I would be remissed if we didn't wish you a happy birthday.
Speaker 3: Man. Another year, another another year.
Speaker 2: Of Pisces Nation.
Speaker 4: Yeah before that, so happy birthday to you many more of my brother and thank you all for rocking with us again. Like we said, the feedback is always appreciated, and the people who are reaching out from different parts of the world keep them coming. Let us know where you're from, and we'll definitely keep going as long as y'all keep suppointing man.
Speaker 2: Thank you peace.
Speaker 6: With Robinhood, not only can you trade individual stocks and ETFs, you can also seamlessly buy and sell crypto at low costs. Trade all in one place. Get started now on robin Hood Trading crypto and all significant risk Crypto. Trading is offered to an account with the Robinhood Crypto LC robing Hunt Crypto is license to engagement virtual currency business activity by the New York State Department of Financial Services. Crypto held to robin Hood Cryptos not FDC insured and SIPC protected. Investing involves risk, including laws of principal securities. Trading is offered through an account with robin Hood Financial LLC member SIPC, a registered broker dealer