Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: This is the closing bell on the stock Movers report the company's making moves at the close of US trading with Carol Masser, Tim Stenebeck, Romain Bostik and Scarlet Food.
Speaker 3: All right, back to the big caps, I go s and P five hundred. As remain mentioned earlier, most names in the SNP hired today, three hundred and forty one names Katie to the upside, one hundred and sixty one losing some ground two unchanged.
Speaker 4: Well, let's go talk to the circle about it. The first time checking the circle in twenty twenty six, and boy, it's actually really interesting today up top. Well, you don't exactly see that big tech. Of course, we have to acknowledge that that is one of your biggest losers when it comes to a points basis. That's why it's highlighted. But overall, what a day that you saw for energy, that you saw for financials, consumer discretionary also catching a bid seven setters in total, finishing in the green. A different story when it comes to the downside. We talked about tech, but utility is your biggest losers on a percent basis. Consumer staples falling as well.
Speaker 3: This was a risk on day all right, So let's get to Katie mentioned certainly the energy out performance as a whole. So let's go through some of the names that definitely gained in today's session. Of course, the news President Trump pledging to revive the Venezuelan energy sector following the capture of that country's president Nicholas Maduro over the weekend. Valero, we saw that one up about nine percent in today's session. Formerly Schlumberger now SLB. That one was up about nine percent in today's session. Halliburton up almost eight percent, and Chevron up about five percent. Of course, very key in terms of its positioning and exposure there in Venezuela. I should put out secret financials Chief investment Officer Mark Mellick put out a note and he said, the US Golf Coast refiners, with years of experience building and optimizing refineries to handle that heavy Canadian rude, stand to benefit in the event changes in Venezuela restore output of that country's heavy sour oil. So that's why you saw names certainly like Valero and others, and some of these major integrated oil companies who can handle all of that all right.
Speaker 1: Now, you see that interview that Michael Berry gave I think it was the CNBC about his bet on Valero that I guess he said he entered into back in twenty twenty. No, and yeah, check it out. Yeah, basically say he I mean, not that he saw this coming today today, but the idea that he thought he saw some potential all the way back in twenty twenty for a big infrastructure shift in Venezuela.
Speaker 3: Oh well, that's interesting, right, but we'll see. Like I'm sure you guys have had the conversation the amount of money taken that's going to take to kind of rebuild Venezuela's energy industry. It's going to take a lot, it's going to take some time. It's going to have companies that are comfortable that there's going to be political stability and maybe a democratic or business friendly environment. Hey courtesy of Tim He talked to me about the nuclear fuelmakers that were rallying. They got a total of two point seven billion dollars from the US to restart production and being the US off enriched uranium. So the company is impacted. Take her lau Centrist Energy. They're based in Maryland. They got money, and they're up ten percent in today's session. And then eighty rs of the Canadian based Silex Systems, their co owner of Global Laser Enrichment, which also was awarded money. That one was up almost eleven percent in today's session. And then for something a little different, I'm going to go to a biotech altimmune. That one jumping nearly thirty percent intra day at its high, finishing the day with a gain of just about sixteen percent seventeen percent. The drug developer said it's experimental therapy for a fatty liver disease pem vititude received a breakthrough therapy designation from the FDA. I'm not quite sure if I said that right, but you know, sometimes when you don't, you just own it, go fast and move on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was an interesting selection there. You miss a few, though, U so love eighteen percent on the day.
Speaker 3: I thought I had a poor finlay, Like.
Speaker 5: Happy I missed.
Speaker 3: It's so good to have you met.
Speaker 5: Let's get to some of the decliners on the day today. Do you want to start with some of the energy stocks that did not actually finish higher on the day. Diamondback energy ticker FENG down three point five percent on the day. Today, As I mentioned, we did see a rotation out of some energy stocks, especially US focused shale oil producers. If more oil companies come online, we could see greater supply and lower prices, which wouldn't be good for these domestic shale producers, some of them already slowing down growth due to concern for a global gut developing. Shout out to our energy team for helping me out with that analysis. Over at Bloomberg News, Diamondback Energy, Koterra Energy, Expand, APA Corp and more actually fell today once again, Diamondback Energy down three and a half percent. And we also saw pharmaceuticals take a hit today, bucking the broader markets advance. The S and P five hundred pharmaceutical index fell the most going back to September. Eli Lilly among the decliners, down three point six percent. Of the seven stocks in their five did fall today and finally Versin shares starting trading today. This is the spinoff from Comcast of some of the cable networks, including CNBC and MS now well as much as fifteen point eight percent in the first day of trading. It ended up finishing daid down by thirteen percent. The company is a market cap right now about five point eight billion dollars. Lease from PayTV distributors and advertising, we're expected to have follow The company predicted earnings before interest, taxes, and depreciation and amortization would drop to two point one to five billion on sales of six point sixty billion for twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: All right, let's take a quick check on the yield space right now. A little bit less activity there compared to what we saw inequity markets, but we did see a drop across the curve today about two basis points lower on the short end of the curve. Longer end of the curve a little bit more dramatic with a drop of about three to four basis points there, Keryl.
Speaker 3: All right, so let's get to some stories on our radar. Hey, if you're thinking about maybe, you know, sprucing up your home, maybe get a TV that I she looks like artwork. It seems to be the trend all of a sudden in Amazon getting in on the game. It's called the Amazon Ember art line.
Speaker 5: Tim So it looks familiar, it's because it kind of looks like Samsung's Frame TV, but it comes at like a fraction of the price. Remember years ago, CS was all about new TVs, like that's what it would be every year. Hasn't been like that in a long time. But the Still's TV is getting some love. This one comes with interchangeable bezels, four K resolution, support for high dynamic range formats, two thousand pieces of free art. But here's the thing, the good art. It's the fire TV software interface and the fire TV mobile app will let users browse content and manage their watch list.
Speaker 1: For TVs television. What's that nothing to them?
Speaker 5: I'm just well, I'm saying for TVs nowadays, it's all about the operating system, you know. Yeah, it's and you know, you can put a Roku on anything. Essentially, I have to tell you that if I want an Alexa enabled TV.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I was, you know, I was on vacation and the house that we had rented down you were gone, they had one of these TVs. It wasn't it wasn't Amazon if.
Speaker 5: It was a Samsung one.
Speaker 3: But it was great.
Speaker 1: I mean, I mean you honestly, we didn't realize as the TV. It just looked like a piece of art on the wall. And then we kind of realized, oh, this is what we watch here, so I can see it. I like it.
Speaker 3: I think what's interesting too, Amazon Amazon copying other companies right with their products, and they've gotten really I.
Speaker 1: Mean, you know the first time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we did miss you by the way.
Speaker 1: By the way, yes, yes, there, I was going to go away by the way, Carol decided to start.
Speaker 3: The we did miss you. So it's good to have thee.
Speaker 1: We missed you too, at least I did. I don't know about Kathy.
Speaker 4: I absolutely did, but I could watch them. You know, you guys were on all last week.
Speaker 3: So to see how she said that you guys were on all last week.
Speaker 5: Was watching watching us on vacation. You know, thanks for.
Speaker 4: Doing to keep a TV on. Support support the cause.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 3: Anyway, Happy New Year, guys. It is good to be back with you, and that is a.
Speaker 2: Rappit the Stockmovers Report from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live, catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app,