Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this special Monday morning trending.
Speaker 2: Edition of Daily Like Gist. Jack, that is my autuistic for loving that right now.
Speaker 1: Wow, yeah, I can actually hear him in person. This is the first time we recorded in the same room. Actually we had that one time we recorded in our backyard.
Speaker 2: But hey, the lone Star State has brought us together. Now Loan, Texas.
Speaker 1: We're in a hotel room in south By Southwest in Austin, Texas. The activations are out of control down here.
Speaker 2: So active, so active south By Southwest.
Speaker 1: Man, I I'm confused by a lot of it, but I mean.
Speaker 3: Hey, there was the tide painted an entire building and that was an activation.
Speaker 1: The tide activation tied the laundry detergent had taken over a whole building.
Speaker 2: We don't know, We don't know.
Speaker 1: We didn't investigate, and if we had, maybe we would have discovered something life changing.
Speaker 2: But yeah, probably not.
Speaker 3: I just have barbecue stains in my hoodie.
Speaker 1: That's right, Well, I am Jack, that is miles. These are the things that are trending this Monday morning.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Actually, first we do like to let you know a little something going on with us. What's something we think is overrated, underrated, let's kick off with underrated.
Speaker 2: Let's kick places doing fucking wacky things to us. I know, okay, under flipped everything. Yeah, I hear you, Texas. I'm going with women's college hoop.
Speaker 1: It's obviously it's having a moment, but it's still I feel like it doesn't have the institutional inertia of like, like you can't just raise women's basketball and have everyone jump into the conversation. I feel like any more. I've been trying, and I just feel like people aren't. Maybe I'm trying with the wrong people, but.
Speaker 2: This I don't know. I watch NBA basketball, as we've heard out of the Jack, my Bootmaster.
Speaker 1: I even watch men's college basketball every once in a while. I feel like the best product right now is women's college basketball.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, I mean, like the NBA is fun, but you sort of like we're used to how like what the level is of the NBA right But what's happening, I mean, the records that are being broken in like the most impossible ways. I think is it should It should get people at least interested in what this tournament season is going to look like, because that's going to be fucking wild.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like the players stay with their teams for the whole career, you know, like they don't they don't enter the transfer protocol is as often as men's players. So like you have Caitlin Clark in our third season with Iowa, it really kind of feels the coaches have like their unique style, right, So it's kind of feels like men's college hoops in the nineties, but Steph Curry has been transported, right and is like playing college basketball.
Speaker 2: For some reason in the nineties.
Speaker 3: Even beyond that, like what Caitlin Clark is doing. Even I was like watching a mixtape of her best blocks and I was like, oh, and then you're like, watch look at all these how she's diamond it no looks all over the place. Shoot it from the logo. I also like, this is a really interesting stat that, like, no player who's in the top fifty for scoring is in the top ten for assists, and no player who's in the top fifty for assists is in the top ten for scoring. Cavin Clark has the scoring record and his number six in assists.
Speaker 1: That's crazy, Like she'esus freak. It's insanely good. Yeah, yeah, she just knows exactly where people are at. We're seeing like a generational talent. Oh right now, yeah, but then, you know we talked about on Boosti's that like basketball seems to be progressive, like players get better and better, like noticeably if you look at like play play now versus play ten years ago in the NBA, it's like a noticeable difference. And I just feel like women's basketball is at a point where it's like so because yeah, so Caitlyn Clark obviously that's the Steph Curry I.
Speaker 2: Was referring to.
Speaker 1: But there's there's a freshman from USC Juju Watkins who just average more points than Caitlyn Clark did her freshman year. She's like putting up twenty seven a game. There was a fucking brawl yesterday in game between the best team this season and the defending national champs from last season. Obviously we don't like to see anyone hurt or suspended or anything.
Speaker 2: I mean, but it.
Speaker 3: Was, you know, a very violent show that led to some bench clearing and yeah, some audience participation too, yes, which was wild to three D hop out of the stands, but like to join in as like peacemakers, right, talk come on, like, don't don't shove her now like it felt like yeah, yeah, but still just the energy.
Speaker 2: That was around that moment was pretty well so wile creat Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just it's it's if you're not paying attention yet, you really should jump on. This is this is the time. We're headed to the NCAA Tournament. The one seeds are you know, South Carolina coach Don Staley, who's kind of like the coach k Greg Popovich of this show, Kaitlyn Clark, and Iowa who, yeah, this is gonna Kaylyn Clark I think has announced that she's going to the w n b A, so this is going to be your last chance to see her play for Iowa. USC and that freshman I mentioned are the number one seed, the defending champ with the coach who like dresses like a character out of a out of like a Mighty Wind or something like like if like the Grand Ole Op you had a fashion week. It's just like so bonkers. They're a two seed, but like they're always dangerous. It's just there's like so many characters. It's so fun right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the level of the play is just on a completely different dimension.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, people are like shooting from thirty feet like it's it's true, like kind of.
Speaker 3: Like NBA level Kitlin's like logo step backs, like the buzzer beaters that are just it's just wild too to see like a player that you know, like sort of like how with Steph Currier like Watch like the flashot of the game, It's gonna have to go to Steph and Watch is probably gonna make it bo with Kayln Clark is the exact same way, where it's like there's just an inevitability about it. That is that's where you start being like, oh, this is this is when we get into like the superhuman.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, Miles, what is something you think is underrated?
Speaker 3: Hey, this is Miles Gray, and it's something someone for having me that I think is underrated. As I walk the streets of Austin a style I have seen on the internet, but it is it's another thing to see in person on such a frequent basis because I do see this in Orange County, California as well. It's the juxtaposition of super right wing phrase T shirts with designer like fashions, so I know it like it's a ironic right no dude, like a full on like Gucci track suit, like track pants with Gucci sneekers, but you have like a shirt emblazoned with the Constitution and like muskets on it, you know, like.
Speaker 2: These rights are that inaliable or whatever.
Speaker 3: And I was like, oh, okay, this is because I also saw somebody come out the Lulu Lemon store with bats like yag, Like this person was fucking just dropping like they're about to be popping tags later, but also had like a fucking like not maga. But it's sort of like it was like definitely like this conservative sort of like where's our nation going type thing, but with like designer sunglasses, expensive shoes that like, so it's just interesting to be like, you know, on one hand, it's just sort of this devotion. Another person had like a Blue Lives Matter hat on with like expensive active wear.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: So I just love the desire to be very fashionable like and mainstream, but also like insisting that like you think shooting unarmed civilians is also chill, right, but also like but also know my class and my status, Like it's it's yeah, because you see people do that kind of stuff like kind of like I've seen that in La too, where there's like like Biden but make it fashion. It's just like on either side, it's like this is such a weird thing where it's like I got a stunt on you, but also you need to know where I'm at politically, Like that's the most important things to me when I step outside.
Speaker 1: Oh man, yeah, I mean that kind of leads into my overrated, which is I mean maybe this is like underrated in the sense that the trend is everywhere, but like overrated in the all that everybody's lying like in involved in this dynamic like that. So my overrate is like the bougie boutique esthetic that I feel like has taken over every like cute gentrified neighborhood. Oh like the high end shopping space, the high end shopping space, like if there's a Lulu Lemon nearby, you're going to have like these other like a Jenny's ice.
Speaker 2: Cream nearby and all burns yeah, and all birds you got all birds?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you get there, and it's just exactly like so we're staying in one of these neighborhoods in Austin South Congress, South Congress, right, and it's exactly like two or three different neighborhoods in La. Yeah, like the neighborhood Like I went to college in DC and there was this street that was you know, had like some like it had a united colors of Benetton or whatever, like down like on one corner, but like it also had like a bunch of dive bars and shit. And then when I went back, like twenty years later, like all the dive bars have been replaced by like these like boutique feeling ice cream place. Yeah, like coffee shops with like you know, baristas who all look exactly like the baristas in LA and they like all have the same design aesthetic. They're all meant to feel like a like livable neighborhood where you can just like shop local, but they are essentially a deconstructed mall for people who shop at whole.
Speaker 2: Thing right exactly, you know. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And there's also just like because you see this in La too, there's like where they whenever like a new gentrified sort of shopping space goes up, there's either like they want to make sometimes make it look like this place used to be like an industrial building. It's been repurposed because it has brick and exposable steel exposed steel beams and shit like that, and then like you're like when was this built, Like oh yeah, four years ago exactly. We just like to make that's like kind of the vibe we're giving people with our consumer monoculture.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's one in LA that's like right by skid Row, right by like the downtown area, that has like the largest homeless encampment and it's in a big old industrial warehouse and it's almost always kind of abandoned, but they're like really trying hard to make it happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just like I noticed this as far back when I like in the late two thousands or late no, I guess it was early twenty tens when I like moved to Columbia, Missouri from New York, and like all the coffee shops in this like small college town just like everyone looked like the kids in Brooks. Like the design aesthetic, like the music they played was all identical to like Brooklyn.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: There's just you know, a flattening that has happened. I don't I don't think it's like necessarily bad that people in Colombia want to like have the same case as people in Brooklyn.
Speaker 2: But I do think it's like I don't know if.
Speaker 3: It's like it's necessarily a consumer driven more so that the developers are like just like a i've mind, you know, and that's just kind of like, oh yeah, that's just like what that's like, that's how shit it's supposed to look down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I feel like we're being been sorted by like algorithms, you know. And I think it's probably why we have like our most famous person of all time maybe right now, like in addition, you know, with Taylor Swift and stuff.
Speaker 2: I just I.
Speaker 1: Feel like they're we're all being kind of sorted and there's this weightlessness of like online commerce that we're all just like end up gravitating towards similar things, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, I mean the algorithms definitely they didn't nail it for me. Uh for here, they didn't. They didn't have a single thing that I like, So algorithms do better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do better algorithms. Yeah.
Speaker 1: It just all feels like it's yeah that it can't all be the same thing, oh jack, but it is right, And I think, yeah, like we.
Speaker 3: All have these like signifiers right that like help people feel like we've attained a certain level of success or consumer, like, like what at what level we can consume? And it's like, oh, well we have a Jenny's Like that means I'm in this bracket.
Speaker 2: Oh I we have this store here.
Speaker 3: That means we're at a certain level because there isn't a target nearby or something like that.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but yeah, man, you know it's just got to say though, these All Birds shoes are very comfortable.
Speaker 2: I think you are very usable. Why about four pairs? I don't know. I just wanted to fit in. You did walk out of the All Birds with just boxes, and I was kind.
Speaker 3: Of competing with the Blue Lives Matter person just to be like, yo, I can you know I got money too, got.
Speaker 1: To do do one for us. They're going to get all those All Birds. But yeah, Brian the editor said, America's masterful at flattening cultures into homogeneous pace. And yeah, it's just like appropriating different things and then this feels like it's all just ended up getting turned into a smooth the that looks like.
Speaker 2: A I don't know, it looks like a sick Witherspoon.
Speaker 3: It sort of feels like a I where like you would be like fashionable, high end shopping space, and it would pull up like a Google search and it might reference like buildings in New York that maybe were industrial buildings that have been repurposed. Then it's like, okay, that's the look, now we will put it here, and.
Speaker 2: It's all just sort of like referential in this way.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It feels like a line in New York, like that thing where they took over the Highline. Yeah, like turned it into a park that's outdoor, and you know, like some of them are like built into nature, and so there's like these differentiating factors of like, oh, there's this cool hill with like weird looking rocks coming out of it, and then you know, but everything around it is identical to what you would find in every major city.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah. What uh, what's your What's something you think is overrated mine? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think just to kind of keep this sort of serious tone going, the thing that I think is overrated are people that fart really loud at the urinal and act like it's not up for commentary, Act like what it's not up for commentary. So it's really not not much to this.
Speaker 2: But you know, I was, uh, I'm in town.
Speaker 3: One of my really good friends Chris lives out here, and so like we went to a bar and go to the go to the bathroom, and like the dude next to me in the urinal dude he farted so fucking loud, like he farted like he was trying out for the Olympic part. Like it was like it was it was, I mean, it was to the point where I laughed. I was like like, you know what I mean, that's got to be what he's looking for. At that point, you think, and I get it too, you're peeing, you relax, you like all these muscles begin to relax, then the fart is natural. But this felt like it's like, hey, I'm doing still laughs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I fucking laugh.
Speaker 3: The guy looked over at me like that was supposed to be a private moment between him and his dog.
Speaker 2: Problem.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I was like like I didn't say anything, but I was like, okay, Like I just finished up, washed my hands and left. But I was just like I came back and like, d like when people fart, like it's you can say something, right, like honestly, why you can't say anything or at least have a reaction to someone farting? Really like it was a comedic sounding part. That's it feels like a little like a tiny one. Fine, you know, it just.
Speaker 2: Like kind of escapes. Yeah, chalk it up to like the sonic environment of a men's room. But this one was like a confetti cannon. It was. It was like if there was a town crier, was a pronouncement.
Speaker 3: So, like I said, I think they're up for debate. I think they're up for commentary. I think they're up for analysis. And we get it. It's it is a bathroom and that you do have privacy, but like when you when you're doing it like that, come on, it's also stall.
Speaker 2: You just let them be right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if someone's taking this ship like I'm not, I've never you know, everyone has had this experience.
Speaker 2: Someone is clearly having some kind of crisis on the toilet, especially in Austin with like the food that a lot of brisket, grease, you know, really good, really good for the bowels.
Speaker 1: We got here, we immediately had a cup of coffee and then went and had Egyptian barbecue, which is like so good, punds of lamb.
Speaker 2: I'm still thinking of lamb belly ribs.
Speaker 1: And then and then you know, I go to the bathroom and next to Miles, and he comes with this passive aggressive take.
Speaker 2: What about in the stalls? Making the stalls have been in the stalls?
Speaker 3: Then?
Speaker 2: Is that? Is that what you're saying? Yeah, that's private. You got a door, you know what I mean? Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's wild ship going on in there that. I'm like, Oh, man, I've never like, it's been bad for me. There's never been like that. Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's.
Speaker 3: Where I'm like, that's where I have a little bit more. I'm like, oh, you know, that is a private moment between you and your God.
Speaker 2: That's right, But.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, you're like, you're doing crowd work right. You are kind of like asking.
Speaker 2: Hey, where are you from?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: What do you think? My name is? Wiles of Los Angeles? It was wild bro.
Speaker 1: All right, let's take a quick break. We got a lot to get to. We haven't recorded since the State of the Union. More importantly, the State of the Union response from the Republicans and the oscars obviously happened, So we'll get to all of that right after these messages.
Speaker 2: And we're back.
Speaker 1: Brian the editor just wanted to let us all know about a mono Neon song about part of wing you Pee.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's a good it's a good feeling, it's a good of release. But just don't do it next to Miles Gray because he will make.
Speaker 2: Fun of you.
Speaker 1: He will come on the podcast that you host together and call you out.
Speaker 2: All right, Yeah, don't make it, dude. I have whatever, I have recordings. I don't need to.
Speaker 3: I don't need to fucking absolve myself, but if I need to whatever.
Speaker 2: Texas a two party state, so you can't record party, you can off. I'm doing a selfie video in the bathroom. That's tell the court. And then the phone was blown out of your hand. I'm sue you for damages. All right.
Speaker 1: So the state union happened last Thursday. Yeah, so we haven't recorded since then. Overall, feels like the consensus from the Biden part of the speech was that, uh, guy kind of nailed it.
Speaker 2: Joe's got his mojo back. Energy was sharp.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I look, he's reading from a teleprompter. I mean, I think the bar is pretty low. Yeah, he seems so awake. He seems so wide awake, dude. I'm telling you. Whatever, like racehorse shot, they gave him it.
Speaker 3: Looks he he does better on whatever pedes he has to take before speech than like what Trump does because Trump gets out and he's just like a fucking wreck.
Speaker 1: I think Trump is more out of control of his own cycles. Like he I feel like he's you know, because he's been on that and veteran like mixed with adderall shit since the eighties, So he's I mean maybe that means just means that he's got his like, you know, shit locked in.
Speaker 3: You know, his part marches to a different beat. Someone call it in arrhythmia probably, but fucking wild. But yeah, I mean I think, you know, like afterwards, all the pundits were like, you know, Joe Biden clearly made his case to be president. He's he's silenced all of the doubters who said he was. And I'm like, yeah, it was a it was a fine speech for Joe Biden. I think the content of it whatever, You could go either way depending on how you viewed this presidency.
Speaker 2: But definitely I expected very little and he delivered slightly better than what I expected. So I can't say. Energetically that is where that speech was.
Speaker 1: And energetically every time he like has a news cycle, win you know, regardless of the content of the speech and because of the alternative that we're facing on the twenty twenty four presidential election. I get a sense of relief when people are like Joe did Good. I'm like, my heart gets a little less like balled up into a fist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: So the speech, Yeah, there was a I mean, he like a lot of people were like, what is he going to say in regards to Gaza. He's like, I'm going to build a pier, Like there was like talk of you know, building like an emergency pier off the metage, like off the coast of Gaza. Fraid bit fell a bit short. I think of what many people are asking for, just ceasefire. Although you know, recently he's he's getting a little more outwardly now frustrated with pavy nets and yap saying like, you.
Speaker 2: Know, I think I think he's actually he's actually causing more harmed is real than good damn son.
Speaker 3: So you get those again, not quite what people on you know, who are screaming for an immediate sease fire are saying.
Speaker 2: But you know, I think that's where like the White House is trying to, all.
Speaker 3: Right, show him a little bit, drop a little guys a turkey, like you're not completely all in on what is happening there on a genocide.
Speaker 2: But you know, I think despite that, it's weird.
Speaker 3: Like the Republican response to the State of the Union was so bad, I think it almost overshadowed Joe Biden's actual speech. Yeah, I know when a lot of people are like, yeah, that was great, But all of the coverage now is all on Senator Katie Britt in Alabama.
Speaker 1: Which is I think part of the problem with how things work that we need a gaff, you know, we need something to be fucked up or else there's not going to be a news cycle. It's not like having a better than expected State of the Union is not going to capture or the news cycle. But if the Republicans like, fuck up the response that is so in some ways I feel like this is the best the Democrats could have hoped for. Is that, you know, because him doing better than expected is not gonna.
Speaker 2: Get like have legs.
Speaker 1: But like the fact that you know, Trump was like I'm gonna be responding live and I'm going to totally own this motherfucker. And then first of all, his social platform like collapsed and then the only thing that he was putting out where like these what were they like like snap filters, like snap filters like Biden and Kamala with like big big eyes, yeah, or like hipster like Coachella hair.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, that I don't know if that's sort of like yeah, I'm trying to think of the show that that's specifically, but yeah, they have braided pigtails with ribbons and straw hats. Very serious and it's I'm glad that that is what That's the best Donald Trump could do was aim a phone at a TV with a snap filter and be like, yeah, you see that.
Speaker 2: Set a little bread. Now you look crazy in this. Wow. Wow you ran your little bicycle to the local markets to get artisanal bridge.
Speaker 1: But yeah, so anyways, the biggest topic of discussion, though, was the official rebuttal from Alabama Senator Katie Britt, handpicked by Mitch McConnell. Felt like a self tape audition for a Hallmark movie set in Hell.
Speaker 3: Just yeah, I've never it's uh, Honestly, the Democrats could not have asked for something better than what they did.
Speaker 2: It was on the faux drama in this speech was unbelievable.
Speaker 3: It felt like it honestly felt like if you've been in like anyone who's seen someone do like a bad monologue in high school, acting class, yeah, and being like the way our I have to admit I'm afraid for our family's America.
Speaker 2: But she was like her voice was quaking with emotion.
Speaker 1: The introduction, Yeah, oh yeah, that's just like mostly studied something.
Speaker 3: She came like framer blowing through the door exactly. There's no room to there's no room to go up when you blow through the door like that. Yes, and so everything just fell very weird, and it's wild to see how much even the Republicans are.
Speaker 2: Like, God, that was so fucking bad.
Speaker 1: There is uh, there's a great clip that we will put in the footnotes that is the end of her speech where she says.
Speaker 2: May God bless you, and may God bless America and.
Speaker 1: You have So this is being streamed by some right wing a real America's voice, yeah, where they kind of react to this in real time. And it's three right wing commentators kind of watching it, and as it ends, one of them like has their head in their hands.
Speaker 2: The other one is like just reading like just from a from a script someone has just handed them. But like truly, they act like they don't know what the fuck is that.
Speaker 1: They're like they look, is the Holy Way? Like this is exactly that's not in the script. And we both laid in the same word. Crestfallen is the right word. They're like, well, I mean, I'm sure she's a very nice woman.
Speaker 2: And it's interesting how people are like, oh yeah, well, you know, like, who is it?
Speaker 3: A source close to Trump's quote, No, no one is surprised that Mitch McConnell's handpicked senator resonated so poorly with the base. I mean, it was all the red meat that Trump is doing. It's all xenophobic immigrants are killing you. White people are getting stabbed by non whites. We need to head for the hill.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and she took us a story from a trafficking victim that happened, like this is a pretty well known story, like people knew she I think she kept it anonymous in her speech, but it was this one Ma Carla Jacinto, Yes, who had a horrifying experience of being trafficked. She provided these like grizzly details and said that it happened thanks to Joe Biden's policies. The actual victim she was talking about was from the story was from two thousand and four.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think like there was another instance that was reference that happened in two thousand and eight, two thousand and eight, and people pointed that out, and she's like, well, I verly like She's like Katie britzehud Be, like, well, I wasn't trying to say that, like I She said, well, I very clearly said I spoke to a woman who told me about when she was trafficked when she was twelve.
Speaker 2: So I didn't say a teenager.
Speaker 3: I didn't say a young woman, a grown woman, a woman when she was trafficked when she was twelve. And so listening to her story, she's like, she just completely spiraled and acted like that's not what she did. And I get that rhetorically, she didn't say and this is because Joe Biden. What she did was a Joe Biden sandwich, evoke Joe Biden, then evoke this horrific story, and then evoke Joe Biden again two.
Speaker 2: Thousand and four. In two thousand and eight, that's George W. Bush time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And she was also like she also came out. She's like, dude, people fucking use my experience. Politicians do this all the time. I fucking hate it. I resent the fact that this woman also did this in America. And she's like, also, I wasn't trafficked by the cartels. She's like, I was trafficked by a pimp. It's like, so this, like all this shit is just being used again for her weaponized rhetoric. But it's scarier to say the cartels because, of course, yeah, because that's what's in now and people have seen Sacario and they're like, oh yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm an expert now on drug and human trafficking.
Speaker 1: But yeah, regardless of like, you know, the fact checking of what she said, how she said it, I think resonated with people in a way that was kind of the opposite of as it was intended. The Republican's reaction to the speech have ranged from calling it unfortunate to deeming it quote the stuff of nightmares. One GOP insider said, quote, everyone's fucking losing it. It's one of our biggest disasters ever.
Speaker 3: I mean that's up there. Yeah, yeah, there's a few that I might throw up there on that top ten list. Yeah, but yeah, it was not not a great not a great performance there. Yeah, and yeah, just like it just rereaked. It was just so insincere. And obviously most politicians come off as insincere, but this was especially insincere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and just yeah, just a bunch of beer mongery. Yeah.
Speaker 1: In other news, Neil deGrasse Tyson, people are still sick of his bullshit.
Speaker 2: He's shut nerd guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems like he's only ever trends when he makes some like pedantic scientific argument against a popular movie. People get mad, Like when he complained about gravity, which I think his complaints about gravity are.
Speaker 2: One of the few complaints that I was like, yeah, kind of what was his complaint about graft?
Speaker 1: I think it was maybe not maybe I'm confusing his complaint with a different one, but just the idea that like they would be close enough to swim basically space, swim to the International Space Station where it's like that that's just like assuming you know, space is so much bigger than the surface of the Earth, right, and that you would just happen to be like close to it.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, he.
Speaker 3: Said it should the film should be renamed a zero gravity or angular momentum, right, and he's saying that the latter the tendency, once set rotating, to keep rotating unless another for you know, Okay, it's dude, it's a movie.
Speaker 2: It's actually more. It's worse than I thought.
Speaker 1: Just relaxed, all right, But anyways, this time also, like people get mad at this guy who's been accused of sexual misconduct by multiple women for his pedantic movie takes right, you know, kind of weird, but here we are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and now he's got his sights on Doune Yes.
Speaker 1: Although, all right, my least favorite I just learned about. My least favorite take from him was he said in at Star Wars hashtag the Force Awakens, I'm reminded that red and blue teams cooperate with one another, rare in American politics.
Speaker 2: Oh what the fuck is he taught? Like have you seen that movie?
Speaker 3: He's just merely talking that the different like the jet fighter, like the space fighter, tyfer or X wing fighter squadrons are like blue and red.
Speaker 1: But it's a movie about a radicalized underclass who are forced to mount a violent rebellion in order to gain their fundamental freedoms. And he's like, this is actually a great illustration of why we should have like Joe Biden chilling with Republicans.
Speaker 2: Or is supposed to mean?
Speaker 3: Like, is he talking about the fact that it's because John Boyega's character was a storm trooper.
Speaker 2: Sure, like that that's what he means, but like he wasn't.
Speaker 3: It's like he like all the Stormtroopers decided like to be like, hey man, we need to be in solidarity with these people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and using that as an excuse as a reason for bipartisan ship.
Speaker 2: It seems like really.
Speaker 1: But yeah, anyways, now he so he went on Stephen Colbert and complained about the realism in June two, specifically the part where the heroes create vibrations in the sand to call sandworms. According to Tyson, the thumping wouldn't be audible because it's sand.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, wrapped up with a bow. That's that folks. Well somebody didn't do the research on that. Uh.
Speaker 1: And Stephen Colbert was like, wait, because that's not how sandworms, a fictional creature, actually behave. He's like, no, I'm saying you can't thump sand.
Speaker 2: Oh really, yeah, is that true because experts disagree?
Speaker 1: Yeah, worm experts are like the and there is like a wide open complaint you could have like animals can't really grow that big on land because of like what gravity and especially the force of like that much sand around you would sure, but his argument actually doesn't work because you could actually play music under a pile of sand and see the resonance.
Speaker 2: And again we're also talking about fucking dune.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this isn't some like you know, hyper realistic sci fi thing where it's like so it's supposed to be grounded in our reality.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the sand that he's talking about contains spice, which is a like mystical element that allows people to hallucinate so well that they can navigate through space. What about that is on that point, maybe there's something a little bit different about the sand. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I didn't remember. I rewatched doing recently. I don't remember how like fucking psychedelic the whole thing is.
Speaker 3: But the area of the part that always freaks me on the first one is when the hearken in or like would that one dude like.
Speaker 2: Just like that weird ceremony. I'm still like it's weird.
Speaker 3: I don't honestly get weirded out looking at shit, But the combination of the visuals with the.
Speaker 2: Sound as didn't. Evesenov says, true cinema, sound and image unsettling. I can handle that on strong acid, man.
Speaker 3: That's why I just want to I just can't wait to get my fuck bucket and enjoy doing too.
Speaker 2: Later on this week.
Speaker 1: Anyways, let's uh, let's take a quick break, we'll come back, we'll talk the oscars and of course Kate Middleton conspiracy series.
Speaker 2: And we're back.
Speaker 1: And his Mother's Day in the UK on Sunday, which I didn't necessarily realize or remember.
Speaker 2: I guess wrong with them over there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well dude, on the wrong day. What are you trying to prove you better than us? But yeah, so they have a different Mother's Day.
Speaker 2: And that's fine, and that's fine. Yeah it's obviously worse, but that's whatever you guys want to do. Yeah, because the weather's so nice, you'd love to take your mother out? Yeah, on like the middle of March. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Maybe is it like London like specifically gets better as spring goes along? Like I remember that being true of Ireland. I'm sure it's true of London, but uh, yeah, I don't know. Maybe you don't think your mother's deserved better, but that's fine. So Kensington Palace, in honor of Mother's Day, released a photo of Kate Middleton hanging out with her kids, supposedly taken by Prince William. Kate Middleton in the picture looks totally alive in defiance of any and all Internet. Hey, y'all totally alive hanging with their kids.
Speaker 2: I've very much alive. Kate Middleton poses with her children is like the caption Jesus Christ.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, they thought they really muffed this one, because people online were quick to notice a number of weird things about the photo, indicating it had been manipulated, which might have just seemed like more tinfoil hattery, except that this led to a truly shocking move from news agencies like the AP to issue a kill notification so that the photo could no longer be used in any manner due to evidence of manipulation, which is kind of a big deal. It makes me think that like, there are people at the top of like the AP who are like Kate Middleton truthers.
Speaker 2: Right right right, really like no, yeah, it's yeah.
Speaker 3: And then was really weird because after it's pointed out, it took like hours for their to be like an explanation. Yeah, And her explanation was like this is from her official Twitter account. Like many amateur photographers, I do occasionally experiment with editing. I wanted to express my apologies for any confusion the family photograph we shared yesterday caused. I hope everyone celebrating had a good had a very happy Mother's Day.
Speaker 2: See what's the C for uh typo? Yeah? Maybe uh Cat is her name full name Catherine with a C, but no, but she's Kate, Kate with a K. Yeah, that'd be wild. Huh. I don't know. Someone helped me decipher that, but I mean there's like so many fucking see because she's serving kunt.
Speaker 3: So it's just wild to see the number of forensic analyzes of this photo.
Speaker 2: The BB's like BBC Verify.
Speaker 3: That's like used to like debunk like straight up misinformation in a whole thing, bringing all these like experts to understand what happened. And some people are like, well, there are certain things like where if you take a series of photos in rapid succession, there's like some software that'll compose together like the best version of everyone's face. Other people were like, the metadata seems to suggest it was like shot with a canon lens and you're like I don't, dude, I don't know, Like right, who fine, but like what are we what are we getting at here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it's still just like it's.
Speaker 3: Just sort of feeding this whole sort of online shit about like what's happening to her? And again, like we've said in the past, it's like it could be something very normal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, like she had a medical procedure, so like the true like important details of this whole story she had a medical procedure, was like I'm going to be out until I think it was later than this, like yeah, and just like I'm going to be out of the public eye, like thank you for respecting my privacy, and everyone's like respecting your what what you are the princess and we are one of the most toxic celebrity cultures in the world, and immediately started speculating that she was like dead or divorcing William, But like, I don't know, maybe like whatever medical procedure she had affected her physical appearance and she doesn't want to be sharing photos of herself with the British press, which not always the kindest.
Speaker 3: No, No, I've not heard great things about the British tabloid press and royal watchers. Yeah, but hey, uh it's it's only just fed the speculat man. People are losing it. Like the amount of like pictures I've seen, like red circles around the anomalies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but what does that even tell you?
Speaker 3: Like, does that the fact that her daughter's sleeve looks a little like discombobulated, Does that mean that she's under duress and that's the secret message or it's a shitty photoshop.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. All we have her questions right now, that's right, we don't know, but yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's uh, well, well we'll stay tuned because that's our job, all right. The Oscars happened last night. I got to them very late, but have been reviewing notes from people who watched the whole thing. Oppenheimer won Best Picture, as announced by Al Pacino. Uh just seemed so confused and just was like, I don't know if the prompter was down, but he like did not bother to list the nominees and clearly like didn't give a shit and was just like I'm a yeah, so I have I'm gonna do Shakespeater and then just looked just was like, and so I'm here to announce the winner, and the winner is in this envelope, and so I'm gonna open the envelope and people are like no, wait wait and the nope and then you just opened it and said, my eyes see, Oppenheimer.
Speaker 3: My eyes sever, thank you so much, Al, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: For that, and nobody like it was just like kind of silent because everyone was like, wait, wait what yeah, my see Oppenheimer.
Speaker 2: Okay, but what is that?
Speaker 3: What is on the cart because that could be a weird way, but like, but the actual wit right, my eyes see.
Speaker 2: The big surprise was that Emma Stone won Best Actress for Poor Things. Lily.
Speaker 1: Gladstone was favored to win after having napped the Say Award last month. I think Gladstone was definitely deserving, would have become the first indigenous actress to win, and arguably gave a better performance and kills the flower Moon.
Speaker 2: But well, but at least you got to see John Cena's almost ass.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and John Cena baby presented the Oscar for Best Costume while naked. It seemed like, I don't know again, I don't know if just the world was in a better mood for some reason the past few days, but like it seemed like the general response was like fun Oscars, good job.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, I don't know, I think that. I guess the hosting was fine. I just saw like isolated clips. I mean maybe because only one person used their platform to speak out against what's happening in Gaza. Yeah, they're like, yeah, pretty good, pretty good. Everyone else kept it to a pin. Wasn't too much, too much chaos, and yeah, that's that. I guess it was pretty straightforward. I feel like everyone's just talking about the what's they ken?
Speaker 1: I'm just yeah, yeah, that was you know, Bryan Gosling gave a bravura performance, singing and dancing to the song.
Speaker 2: I'm just ken.
Speaker 1: That seems to be like the the worst thing you can do for your song's chance of winning the Academy Award is to give a show stopping performance of that song, right, because then that song promptly loses to something else.
Speaker 2: So I just can yeah to.
Speaker 1: The song for Barbie, right right, But you're also same movie. But I'm just getting lost. Billie Eilish as Barbie song What was I made for and the other fun moment the people seem to be sharing. Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny DeVito presented an award but didn't mention twins, and instead they talk about how they've both been beaten up by Batman and like we're like there he is and pointed to Michael Keaton and then Michael Keaton gave a fun performance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean I think the other controversial woman was there.
Speaker 3: Like Robert Downey Junior didn't acknowledge Khoi Kwan when he got his award. Yeah, and yeah, I don't just we have a lot happening. Yeah, any like micro scandals.
Speaker 2: Man, I don't. Yeah, yeah, hey man, all right, Robert you did your thing. Good for you. But yeah, we'll see, uh you know what what else comes of this? I mean, there wasn't much coverage.
Speaker 3: It seemed like, I mean I heard after the fact about how the protesters outside like completely fucked up the arrivals for the oscar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so there were so many protesters asking for ceasefire that they like the arrival times were fucked up.
Speaker 2: People didn't get there on time.
Speaker 1: The show started without people like being like everybody knowing there the seats right, so that the fillers were this was like d Day for the seat fillers.
Speaker 2: Where they were like having to fill so many seats. I need you in both of these sections at once, but.
Speaker 1: Once, but yeah, I mean on the subject of guys of the Zone of Interest director Jonathan Glazer accepted the award for Best International Film. I still haven't seen Zone of Interest, but I hear it's like the one of the better films of the year and like incredibly harrowing, and it is, you know, it's about the like a nice idyllic home where the architect of Auschwitz lives with his family right next to the you know, concentration camp, and is literally about the evils of ignoring a genocide as it unfolds around you. And so in his acceptance speech, he you know, made reference to the fact that this is this is a movie that is about right now and yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: His wording was sort of he said, right now, we stand here as men who refute their Jewishness and the Holocaust being hijacked by an occupation which has led to conflict for so many innocent people, whether the victims of October seventh in Israel or the ongoing attack in Gaza, and then some people just sort of like in bad faith or like, oh, they refute their Jewishness, right, And it's like no, I think what they meant to say is they refute the hijacking and you know, of their Jewishness and the ignoring of the Holocaust to perpetuate it.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: But yeah, Kevin, like the the like, the what the people, like the amount of protesters, like they caused people to have to walk up sunset to get to the theater, and it was yeah, I mean it, it was a lot going on. But at least they'll have their one hundred and seventy eight thousand dollars gift bags.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got the worsport on what's in the gift bags.
Speaker 1: I always wondered, like how it's possible, because yeah, so the gift bags are worth about one hundred and seventy eight about one hundred and seventy eighty four hundred and ten dollars just in that neighborhood, which is you know, some consolation prize but a lot of the monetary. So I was always wondering, like what that bag looks like, like the do you have to have it airlifted?
Speaker 2: Out of the right is it in a crate? Right, you have to put on a forklift.
Speaker 1: But a lot of the monetary value consists of offers for stays in fancy resorts and private shows from a local mentalist.
Speaker 2: Oh so yeah, private shows from a local mentalist.
Speaker 1: The mentalist was got interviewed for this, and I was like, yeah, well, you know I have I typically cater to a high end clientele.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I mean it was interesting on Fox.
Speaker 3: They were like I was watching Fox this morning, and they're like, the gift bags are on hundreds and eighty four ten dollars the median household income in the United States. Like they're trying to draw like this sort of like class consciousness comparison, but is merely just obviously slam the Hollywood elites. But I was like, oh, look at you suddenly being concerned about income. Are you staying only because it's a gift bag that someone who was you know, cares about trans people or something? You just want to be like, yeah, Like so they're out of touch. They one hundred and sevy eight thousand dollars gift back. I've actually been to the place in Saint Bart's. Yeah, that they do actually pretty nice.
Speaker 2: It's really nice and like there's no poor people. It's like you don't. That's what I love about Saint Bart's. It's like you can't be poor and even getting near there.
Speaker 1: And I wasn't given it by some fancy gift bag. Was given it by a defense contractor who likes my work on this show and wants me to keep up the quote good work.
Speaker 2: So good work, and they tussle my hair. Yeah, But so the.
Speaker 1: Physical gifts are luxury ittoms like a wine fridge Jesus.
Speaker 2: But it's also like that some of the shit is like the.
Speaker 1: Stuff you find in like a children's birthday party gift bag, like a Rubik's cube, black licorice.
Speaker 3: It's like two violence giving me black licorice. I would be like, that's disgusting.
Speaker 1: It's probably like the most boutique black licorice, like you could find it on the street where we're recording this podcast, and often so cute. So it's like locally sourced black liquorice.
Speaker 2: I love it. But also underwear.
Speaker 1: Each bag include eighty six dollars worth of boxers oh okay, nine dollars case of poppies ODA fifteen dollars Rubic's cube, eighty six dollars worth of boxers, eighty dollars worth of black licorice.
Speaker 2: Eighty dollars worth of that's enough.
Speaker 1: That's too too much black licorice or that black liquorice. Better have like some manner of drug in it, right, Better have actual spice from the Dune universe.
Speaker 2: I better be able to navigate, get my fucking dragonfly ship and fuck off out of here.
Speaker 1: Five hundred dollars worth of roses, which like are probably just rotting in that bag right now because all that shit is unopened. Four hundred and ninety five dollars worth of throw pillows, two hundred and fifty dollars travel duffel. I would take that, thank you, thank you, that's mine. But a lot of these the offers for like stays and you know, like luxury trips. The luxury trips won't be redeemed because they're considered taxable gifts, which to the Academy stopped issuing gift bag in two thousand and six because they decided it was like too much of a tax burden to just like drop on these stars.
Speaker 2: The stars were like, oh man, are you fucking serious. Oh man, Well, Scot wouldn't want them to have to pay taxes on Yeah, it's really hard for them. I mean the American family is only making a fraction, like one third, Yeah of that, So Fox News is pissed. Yep.
Speaker 1: All right, those are some of the things that are trending this Monday morning. We are back tomorrow with a whole ass episode of the show.
Speaker 2: Until then, be.
Speaker 1: Kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get the vaccine, do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to you all tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Bite