Speaker 1: Wanted to talk at all.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, everybody, Welcome back. Two days until the trade deadline, game one to eleven in the books. Yankees dropped this one, five to two to the Cubs, and the series is even at one game. Apiece joining me to talk about it tonight is our friend Terrence. Can we call him TK? How's it going?
Speaker 3: Tiaks doing pretty well? Flew in late last night from Chicago. Got to see the Yankees win yesterday at Wrigley Field. It was my first time. There was very cool, very cool ballpark. Rosario that bomb in person, that was a shot, and then Spencer Jones with a shot of his own and that was a laser. I was sitting Derek on the first base side up in like the second deck and like the first row there, so like I had a pretty good vantage point to just seeing the trajectory of the ball there. And that was impressive.
Speaker 2: Man, another line drive home run for him today. He actually had two hits and TK three interconnected things are happening with Spencer Jones right now, and I think, you know, seeing is how the Yankees offense was down and this was kind of a ho hum loss. I thought we might talk a little bit of trades. Tonight, we might focus on the deadline a little bit. I mean, we'll obviously go over the game, but Spencer Jones is proving that he can punish mistakes at the major league level. Two hits tonight, two home runs in the series. The other thing that's happening is that he is raising his trade value as the deadline approaches. You know, other teams have scouts watching these games. They're seeing that this guy's hitting just electric home runs, line drives, opposite field deep shots. And then the third thing that's happening is he's making me want to keep him and run him out there because he has been playing better. So let's talk about it. Where do you stand. Are you for maximizing his trade value as he's on the way up, or has he shown you enough recently that you want to just kind of hand the keys to you know, maybe centerfield or left field to him.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is a bit of a complicated, loaded answer, but I'm willing to include Spencer Jones in the right deal. Obviously, I got to see what the return looks like. But if you're the New York Yankees and you don't like what the return is giving you for a Spencer Jones, then I'm keeping him, and I'm actually you know, but you're keeping him with the mindset that next season and let's assume there is a season next season that he is your starting centerfielder. I think defensively he's played really well. Obviously he's in left right now. Bellinger being hurt, which complicates things. All of the injuries to this team has complicated things tremendously. With the trade deadline, they got to be very careful with the moves that they make, and you need to be absolutely positive that Aaron Judge and Cody Bellinger are going to be able to come back for September for a postseason run, and you've got to have that in the calculus when you're making moves. But I'm kind of leaning towards the side of things, Derek at this point because of the Bellinger injury as well, probably keeping Spencer Jones at this point.
Speaker 2: Yeah. He's actually, uh hitting pretty well against lefties too. He is six for twenty one, which is two eighty six with two homers against lefties. Now against right he's he's hitting two thirty six and seventy two at bats with three home runs and ten RBIs, But there's no doubt. The power is real, the athleticim is real. I've been saying he's looking a little bit smooth, a little bit more comfortable in center field. Now. I know this is totally on a different spectrum, but I switched high schools between my sophomore and junior year, and I was a good outfielder. But when I first got there, I was nervous, right, and so like, I took some bad routes and I just like, you know, I maybe muffed a couple of plays. I think that maybe, like when a player first gets called up to the major leagues, we saw some bad routes, but he seems to be more comfortable. Also, there's that like triple deck syndrome or whatever, where it's just like different for young guys. They have to get used to it. But he's been looking more comfortable. His arm seems like it's pretty good. He gets down the line. We saw him beat out an error by the first baseman today or maybe the second basement a ground ball on the right side. He's looking good, there's no doubt about it. Yankees offense, though not looking good again, just two runs for the second straight day, and there was a point during the game where they were talking with Craig Council and he basically said, if you take the home runs out of play, which for the most part they were, they were one for each team, but solo shots, and you're keeping them ball in the ballpark. You got to get hits, you got string hits together, you got to create rallies, you got to run the bases. And when he's saying that, I'm thinking, you know, he's right, which means the Yankees might be a little fuss and they were as they dropped this one. You know, creating rallies and stringing hits together is not the Yankees bally wick as they would say, but it is what it is. So TK. As we approach the trade deadline, Camillo Doval has a new home. He has been traded to the Pittsburgh Pirates. How are you feeling about that move?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm fine with it. And I know that Yovanni Cruz who came up to take his place on the roster, it didn't pitch extremely well tonight. He was a bit of radic, but you know, definitely electric stuff, electric fastball. I'm sort of glad that Yovanni Cruz is going to get a real chance. I've been kind of saying this all season. I didn't really see the purpose of having Camillo d'vol on the roster, and you got you got, you know, two minor leaguers for him. You got some catching depth, nothing too impressive there, but you got an eighteen year old lottery ticket. You know, I kind of think of the Dodgers Josh Fields for YOURDN Alvarez trade when they traded Howeverez when he was like eighteen years old and the Dodgers at the time had absolutely no idea who he was. Now, I watched your video this morning about the deal. You know, Cruz, guy who hits for contact, which isn't really the Yankees preference when its old players. But he's only time to screw him up, exactly plenty of time to screw him up. But you know, he's easy eighteen years old, and we'll kind of see what happens. Maybe it turns into something, maybe he's part of another trade. But you got two warm bodies for him, and I'm cool with that, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, two living human beings is more than I thought that the Yankees would get for Camilla devall So I saw that the Mariners and the White Sox made a trade, Luis Castillo going to the White Sox. This is interesting because the Yankees might play the White Sox in the postseason, and Castillo is always pitched pretty well against the Yankees. For sure. I do have the suspicion that the Mariners are going to trade Randy or Rose Arena, and if they do, he could be a nice pickup TK. I want to share his numbers two eighty three average, fourteen home runs. We know what he does in the postseason. He's done it repeatedly, eight thirty six OPS. Right handed hitter five to ten, has a little bit of flare with runners on, and we know the Yankees struggle to put together rallies. This is a guy who h's three hundred with runners on three ZHO three with nine home runs and a nine to thirty two OPS with runners in scoring position, hitting two ninety seven with a nine to seventy five OPS. Clutch time, late and close situations, hitting three h two with three homers and seven RBIs in forty three at best verse lefties two point fifty eight with a seven thirty three OPS so doesn't destroy you. But against righty he's hitting two ninety one with an eight to seventy ops. And let's check out home and away. So in Seattle he's hitting two forty four, six home runs twenty two RBI. Is kind of a tough park to hit in. We've heard a lot of stories about their back drop being kind of a little off kilter. Obviously he's had time to get used to it. He's been there for more than a year now. But Away hitting better. He's hitting three sixteen with eight home runs of twenty seven RBIs. What are your thoughts on Randy A Rose arena. I wouldn't mind an outfield honestly, TK of Randy Arose Arena in left field, Spencer Jones in centerfield, and Aaron Judge in right field down the stretch or even Judge at DH right or or there's been some talk that they might go out and get a first baseman and Ben Rice it becomes your DH and Judge is your right fielder because it stanton not being back I think the reason that And sorry to ramble and filibuster here, but Aaron Bowin has been kind of feisty when people ask about Stanton. I think that's because he's dead. I think that's because he's hanging out with Mitch McConnell. I think I think they're both in the afterlife playing Backcammon right now. No, I think that essentially, and they know Stanton is done. He's useless right now, so why give that card away and let other teams know? Right So? I think I think we're not going to see Stanton. I think Yankees have plans for the DH I think they could get a first baseman. I think they could do a lot of different interesting things. Your thoughts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he threw a lot at me there, but it was weird because Ken Rosenthal in the middle of the game was like, Stanton may come back before Judge. So I feel like, to your point, nobody really knows anything right now, and the Yankees probably want to keep it that way. Keep your cards as close as possible, just so people don't know what you're desperate for, what you're willing to overpay for. As far as Randy and Rose Arena goes like, I would be down. I mean, I remember in the twenty twenty playoffs in the COVID season, like he was a beast in the playoffs. Dude, he was such a pest. He was a pin in the ass. He was always getting the big hit. It was just a backbreaking thing to face all the time. And the Yankees. What is my biggest complaint about the New York Yankees? And in October and I'll call it in the judge, E're obviously the offense has gone away. You know, they can't rally, but they can't get the big hit, you know what I mean, Especially that they can never seem to get the big hit. I only think of like in twenty seventeen when Gary Sanchez had that double in the gap against the Astros. Yeah, last big hits, right, you know what I mean. It's not a home run, but it's the big hit, and they never get those. And a Rose Arena can do it.
Speaker 2: DJ hit a opposite field, pretty big hole run in it, but it's pretty I get your point. It's few and far between. So the first base one I couldn't remember his name, Luis Garcia Junior with the Nationals. Apparently the Yankees are linked to him as the guy who's sitting two eighty three with twenty three home runs, seventy six RBIs eight seventy three ops. He's a left handed hitter. Let's see how he does against lefties to eighteen, So not great. I guess Righty's though, two ninety five with twenty home runs home and away, essentially a little bit better away. But this is a guy that apparently the Yankees have been linked to. I mean, around this time of year, you hear all sorts of like names thrown out there, and you never know what's real, what's smoke. I think there is a chance the Yankees are gonna make multiple moves and change this roster around because the offense is just not getting it done. It's clear that contact hitting is at a premium these days, okay, and the Yankees just don't have it. They just without judging the lineup, without Bellinger in the lineup, they just don't get enough hits. They're twenty seventh in Major League Baseball in average at two three. When you're first in the league in era, if you can put up an even competent offense, you're gonna win a lot more games than the Yankees are winning.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, this offense has just been a knemic. And you bring up that point, they don't have a lot of contact. I don't. I don't think the Yankees really value contact. Aaron Judge is just obviously, thank you. Aaron Judge is just like an anomaly, you know, just the power and the contact combination is rare. I would love them to get a Luisa rise. It just kind of changes the dynamic of the team. A little bit of it changes the dynamic of the I mean, look at that three twenty eight. I would kill for three twenty eight. I don't need them to hit twenty home runs. But when the bases are loaded and there's two outs and you get me a double or a single and you score two runs, that's big, man, that's big, especially with the pitching staff that this team has, the starters that this team has, you know, in the bullpen. Look, it's funny how in the beginning of the season the narrative of this team, and I believed it as well, that this team had a bullpen problem, because it did. But you know, a little bit of a little bit of dumpster diving, a little chev he a Hedrick emergence, and all of a sudden, it's actually it's turned out to be one of the better pens in baseball. I think probably one arm acquired would be enough. Now, Morihan Miller's the big fish out there. I'm not giving up George Lombard Junior for Mason Miller, but I'd love to have him. I love to have Adrian Morahan from the Padres, but apparently the price is pretty high there. Luke Weaver another option. But for me, you give me one reliever. But you need bats, you need bats, you need people who can hit the ball. I love Luke Weaver. He's having a great season. You know, he was doing it in twenty twenty four in the playoffs. He was you know, I called him nutsack because every time you would get him out there, the guy would just lock it down. But exactly, but dude, bats obviously, I don't know if the Twins are dealing Ryan Jeffers. They just acquired a reliever from the Mets. They got Mint jeff So are they buying there? You know, it's weird, right, like the market's weird.
Speaker 2: I don't think they're gonna trade Jeffers. The one trade that I find the most interesting it was floated by Joel Sherman, and apparently there is some talk in Miami that this could happen. Otto Lopez and Xavier Edwards, both on the block. I would love to acquire a middle infield combination. Now my trade, my mock trade. I don't know if you saw this one earlier this week. I basically would give them the Yankees' top four prospects. I'd give them Lombard, I'd give them Kilby, I'd give them Lagrane, and I'd give them Elmer Rodriguez. I might even throw at the time, I would have thrown in Spencer Jones. I don't think I would go right now, but acquiring a middle of the infield that is used to playing with each other. Both of them hit for contact. Let's take a look at Otto Lopez Odo Lopez, who by the way, has an awesome name. Odo. That's fricking great. Three twenty two, nine home runs, fifty one ribis eight thirty six OPS one twenty seven WRC plus, so he is twenty seven percent better than league average three fifty five on base percentage. He went one for four today against the Mets in a win. Last five games, he has been slowed down a little bit, but this is a good guy from Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. And then there's Xavier Edwards, who I think is a fantastic player. He is a switch hitter, which is important. Who hits her average. He went over for five today, but hitting two eighty eight with six home runs forty RBIs one thirteen WRC plus and he doesn't strike out thirteen point six percent strikeout rate is my huge trade package? Is that a no from you? Or would you go all in to get an entirely new middle lean feel that could help solve some of this hitting problem.
Speaker 3: You know, it's funny. I looked up Oto Lopez on Savant and I was just trying to see what his fielding metrics look like. So he's ninety third percentile with range, and you know the Yankees love shortstop with range. I'm about done with Andy Anthony Boltby. That's no secret. That's a pretty obvious thing. I really have a tough time saying to buy to Lombard just because you hear from this guy. Look, he hit a home run tonight, by the way, But the thing with Lombard is that you're hearing from him is that as soon as he steps on a major league field, he will be one of the best defensive shortstops in the league. And it's the bat is the thing that we do not know about waiting for that to come around. And it's a tough one though, because if he does not get dealt, he is going to be on this team as soon as the deadline is over. The reason I think I like him so much is just because he grew up around the game. You know, his dad's a coach in the league. Like he's been kind of raised as a baseball player. Like I watched this little short clip on YouTube. There's like a mini doc about like a kind of day in the life with George Lombard. And even from a young age, when he was like seventeen years old, the way he was kind of living as day to day was like a pro And I think that that kind of intangible thing is valuable, like he sort of already knows how to handle himself from a young age. I'd love to have Oto Lopez, but I maybe I'll just get one of them and not both of them, to give up a little bit lesser of a package. And he's a right handed bat and he's hits for contact, which is like two things the Yankees desperately need. And if you do get a Lopez, then you know, next season, maybe you slide them over to second and you have Lombard play short. I'm sure that would work out fine. But yeah, that's probably the direction I'm leaning in right now. I'm almost kind of looking at it if you really want to reconfigure the team. I don't know who would be a suitor for it, but like, are you looking at moving on from a Grisham and a Jazz just to get something in return? Just to have Jones play every day in center? And if you get a Luisa Ryes or no to Lopez, all of a sudden they slide into the second base slot, you bring up Lombard to play short.
Speaker 2: Let's double click on Jazz real quick, because I've seen a few comments in the chat about him. He obviously had another tough game, got into it with the umpire a little bit. I hate his two strike approach, just waving at the ball today, and I think we had some calls about that. In fact, I'll play one right now.
Speaker 4: Hey, Derek MD here, I mean, come on, chis in the same swing, no two strike approach, the same swing to have bets today where they seem like he's winning all homer same swing, strike approach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I agree one with the caller terrible two strike approach. Hitting two twenty two. That's basically like two for every nine, Right, that's not good. It's like one for three every three games. Basically, that's probably wrong. I'm not great at math anyway. I would one hundred percent trade Jazz Chisholm if somebody wanted him, especially if you can get Luisa Rise.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean it's one of those situations though, that because this market might be the perfect market to make that sort of deal, because the American League is so bad that you have so many teams that are kind of in it, but they're also out of it. So you have the Mariners that are in the wild card hunt, but they probably don't believe in this team, which is why they're dealing Luis Castillo away and considering Arizonna dealing him away. But at the same time, they are probably looking at things like their starting rotation is so deep that they could afford to make that move for a different need. So if there is a content out there, or a team like the Twins or you know, the Padres that are kind of this five hundred team, and they may sneak in and they need a bat and they can deal from a position of depth like their bullpen. I would definitely see if you could line it up that way. Grisham is another guy that I think at this point for if I'm the Yankees, I'm cool with moving on from Trent Grisham just to have Jones play every day in the outfield. Now, it's a little bit complicated just because Bellinger decided to pull a hamstring, and that complicates things because you need guys out there in the outfield, so it makes you need Grisham. But if you know, if you're willing to kind of get something in return for those two guys and reconfigure this line up a little bit, just to get a get more contact in there, you know, just just walk with me, Derek for a second. If you're able to pull a move without giving up George Lombard for just Auto Lopez. You're not getting Xavier Edwards all right, and you're getting Louis a rise from the Giants, which won't cost as much because it's a two month rental, And you can move on from Grisham, and you can move on from Jazz, and you got Jones and Center and you have Lopez. It's short and you can or you can Lopez at second and George Lombard at short. I think I'm good with that. You got you got to you got to two. You got a contact bat in there, which is what you needed. You got two contact bats.
Speaker 2: I still need at I still got to get a catcher.
Speaker 3: But like if you get a rise, you get Lopez. That's your middle end field. Lombard can come up play third, or play short or whatever. I'd love to have a catcher. You're hearing pass and link the Yankees to Adleie Rushman. I don't think the Orioles will want to move him in division, if at all. But the rumor is that the Yankees do have the best offer on the table for Adley Rushman. I'm curious to know what that package looks like, but that would be a great deadline if you got those done.
Speaker 2: I want to take a look at Adlee Rushman. He's obviously on the injured list right now. Got off to a great start, has slowed down significantly, but he was hitting two fifty one when he went on the il on the eighteenth, eight home runs forty seven RBIs good defender, so you wouldn't be losing anything there. He's a switch hitter. He's got a bit of power, not a ton of power. But this was a guy who was looked at as a potential franchise player. Has never quite lived up to that. But he's solid right and right now. Solid is a massive improvement from what we're running out there. Ali Sanchez had three hits today, but the throw the other night, I was done with him right there. He could have had twenty hits in a row after that. I still would want him gone. I don't want I don't want anything to do with this. Guys, you do that in a big moment in the playoffs. You can't be that dumb. You can't be that dumb and played professional baseball, all right, guys, Uh, we are gonna take a quick look at the actual game that went down, so tk uh. Two hits for Spencer Jones, one for Cabaliro, three for Ali Sanchez, but the Yankees come up a little bit short five to two. The offense continues to be a problem. What do you think of Max Free today? Five and a third with one and run, one walk in seven k's.
Speaker 3: I thought he pitched well, you know, I think he's still kind of coming back from his injury. It's funny. We had a you'll see you'll see in the in the blog. I'll be dropping that, I hope Monday on my channel. But I was right up next to Max Freed, and my dad was like, how you feeling, shoulders good? You're like, yep, everything's fine, signing some balls and stuff for little kids.
Speaker 2: He was that, man, you're bothering our you're bothering our pitcher.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's fine. I look, I could have bothered Garret Cole having lunch with his family, but I didn't. So but I thought he pitched you all the night. He battled, he's coming back from injury. He looked good, got the strikeouts quick inning after a long inning, so I was happy with it.
Speaker 2: You know what he was thinking today in the first inning, he was thinking about his curve bugs me. I'm gonna throw a nasty curve all right here. And he's getting said. He's like, man, who is that fucking weirdo? Yesterday? And but overall, solid, solid performance. I want to take a couple of voicemails here. We're doing kind of a longer episode because we got the trade deadline. Uh, here's Danny from California.
Speaker 4: Gang from Kelly don't want to jinx.
Speaker 1: He's dang two to one Yankees with Spencer Jones slowly coming around. Just hit as good.
Speaker 2: It's good.
Speaker 4: Pretty fired up about that.
Speaker 1: And also Ali Sanchez. Man, he's a little snap hitter, but he kind of I know Soho was an infielder, but it reminds me a lot of Luis Soho the.
Speaker 4: Way he hits. It doesn't have much pop, but puts it where people aren't Anyways, the school Yanks, come on.
Speaker 2: I wish you where somebody wasn't in the ninth inning there when he hit into that big double play. But again the throw the other day, amateur amateur hour, here's a call about Spencer.
Speaker 1: Hey, Derek, this is awesome. So Spencer Jones just had a monster home run Apple Taco again. Really excited, man, Just amazing. If this hit had had some some more time up at this level. But yeah, I mean, I hope you can keep it going. The other thing I wanted to mention is that I think and I've had this, you know, fought for a long time, sort of my dream world series Yankees versus Chicago. Just watching the last couple of games. How fun would that be? The Yankees and the Cubs, you know, in the World Series, Brigley Yankee Stadium, you know, iconic cities, iconic franchises. I just think that'd be a whole lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I think you've got to score some runs before you start thinking World Series.
Speaker 3: I don't think the Cubs are making it in the World Series, That's what. I don't think they're even beating, let alone the Dodgers. I don't think they're beating the Brewers. Dude, Milwaukee is I think Milwaukee's going to be scary Inah October and they're.
Speaker 2: About to get Schooble. They're about to get Schooble.
Speaker 3: They could have, yeah, because we're talking about you know, they have like the best prospect in baseball. If they're willing to cough them up, I think they get him. I know that the Dodgers are in the mix, but you talk about facing Schooble and miss Arowski and the bullpen that they have, and they can hit for contact and run. Dude, I think Milwaukee's going to be nasty man, and.
Speaker 2: They actually they could be might pick to come out of the National League all right. Time for the good, the bad, and the ugly. All right, So Max Schuman, oh for three tonight he gets the poop emoji. Trent Grisham for over the Walk, he gets the shoe. Goldschmidt got the poop. Ahmed Rosario one for four, Jason de Mingez with a rare alien sighting silver sombrero for Jazz Chisholm Junior, Anthony Vopie, what else is new? He's probably leading the league in poop emoji's Ben Rice over one nothing from McMahon, Spencer Jones with the stinger, stinger dinger, a stinger dinger, and then oh that's great, Spencer Jones a spinger I don't know, Alex Sanchez three for four, and cab I Arrow one for three. As we take a look at the Cubs, p Crow Armstrong, what a player he is? Bacon just hit man, say yes, Suzuki with a base hit. Bragman continues to just beat the Yankees. Carson Kelly with a knock, Michael Bush with a hit. The only two guys who didn't hit well or Hap and Swanson. You had the home run from Horner. I guess Trionto's didn't do much either, but that is the good and bad and the ugly. All right, TK, any final thoughts here, I probably won't hear from you again before the trade deadline.
Speaker 3: How about Tyler Stevenson with the Reds. Is an option as a catcher. I've heard that name around. I mean, you know, it's one of those things. It's not like a fantastic player, but at the same time better than whatever they have right now. And he's a right handed bat, so it is something. Yeah, two fifty two is not up great, so I don't know what he looks like defensively, and I know that the Yankees love defensive catchers. But it's an option. It's on the table.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean his his war is zero point eight, so he can't be that amazing defensively. And his WRC plus is one hundred, so he's basically league average as a hitter. But that's still a far cry from where we're at right now. Okay, ladies and gentlemen, thanks for watching, stay tuned, keep you your YouTube device close because if news breaks, I will be back. Thanks again TK for joining us. Let's hope that next time we talk the Yankees have a completely new roster.
Speaker 3: Let's see it.
Speaker 2: Hey, thanks for watching. If you're new to the channel, do all the YouTube stuff like and subscribe. Also, we've got a store, Nyy Designs dot shop. It's got all sorts of fun t shirts, mugs, hats. You can also get podcast merch at pinstripe territory shop dot com. We're also on every podcast platform, so go ahead and subscribe to the audio version as well, and give us five stars if you don't mind, if we earned it. We'll see you next time
Speaker 4: You