Speaker 1: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome back to the Bob Left Sets podcast. My guest today is keyboardist extraordinaire.
Speaker 2: Bill Payn Bill, good to have you on the podcast. Oh, it's a pleasure to be here. Thanks so much for having me.
Speaker 1: Okay. Sometimes you're referred to his Bill. Sometimes you're referred to his Billy. Do you care what's going on there?
Speaker 2: Not often? I mean my mother finally called me Billy for a while when that was the rage. I normally would people ask I say it's Bill. But if they want to say Billy, just don't call me late for dinner.
Speaker 1: Okay. So you're out with Little Feet now, you were out with the Doobie Brothers. What's your relationship between the two acts.
Speaker 2: Now Little Fat I'm the leader of the band. We've got a couple of new members, scotch Are, Tonny Leoni on drums and guitars. Tony plays drums also sings, which I didn't realize he did. We have Fred Tackett, Kenny Grandy, Sam Clayton from the original band Fred, although came in a little later. But we've known I've known friend since nineteen sixty nine. So that relationship is that it's family, the Doobie Brothers. I started work on their second album and began that process with them. I played on a lot of their stuff, including when Mike McDonald joined the group and he had two songs what a Fool Believes, and minute by minute I said, you play play those songs. I'll play some high strings or whatever. But I'm not Tommy Johnson and Patrick probably since seventy one seventy two, I think, so we all go back a long way. I spent up until a year and a half half ago. I was touring with the DeBie Brothers for two years excuse me, seven years, and then Michael joined and we were all out one big, happy family. And I still stay in touch with the guys. So it's I have two sets of family.
Speaker 1: I guess, well, I guess the question would be, would you ever go on the road with the Doobie Brothers again or is that in your past?
Speaker 2: I'd go out with them again if the inclination hit and all systems will go, and it was something I could do to help and vice versa. Yeah, I got to keep a Leisa fair attitude towards that. That's that thing, Bob with whom ever I'm working with. To be honest, it's I don't try and cut people off, but you know, uh, there's only so many hours in the day too. Just wait out like like you do. I'm sure. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, it's it appears from the outside that you decided because the Doobies are still on tour, that you decided to leave that to get back with Little Feet. Would that be an accurate description?
Speaker 2: An absolute accurate description. And the reason I did it was Little Feet came upon some pretty good management in a form of Bob excuse me, Ken Levitan and Vector out of Nashville. In fact, when I when I spoke to the duties, they said, well, when we heard you went to Vector Management, we kind of figured your time with us would be limited. So I said, well, you guys figured it out before I did. But yeah, you're right. So how'd you end up with Ken? Oh? I got a call from a person that said, if you're making a switch, because I told him what we were, you might want to check these guys out. So that morphing into the Vector's system. And with Ken Levittan, who's a great guy. I know kid for a number of years because of Emmy Lou Harris and other people, but I thought they took about two weeks or work to decide whether they would handle a Little Feet, And I said the entire time, I said, look, don't worry about it. If I want to, you have no obligation to us. So if you're going to work with us, let's make sure that you feel comfortable with it. We would love to have it happen, but I'm a realist at the end of the day, So let's let's see where this flows with with how you're dividing to make this choice. All I can tell you is that I feel with with doing an interview with with you, for example. That's part of Levitan and Vector and the visibility we have these days is why you and I are having a conversation. I don't discount Little Feet in my career with Little Feet or what we represent the musical world out there. But you need people to help in this business, and these guys have done nothing but great things for us.
Speaker 1: Well, since you've been in the game for a long time, what have you learned about management?
Speaker 2: Well, I actually managed a Little Feet myself with Paul Breyer. It's a thankless job. First and foremost you get blamed for things that maybe you shouldn't be blamed for. You get credit for things that maybe you did some minimal research into and it paid off. But I do know that that management with the right people can open doors that are normally closed. It's about perception at the end of the day. It's also about who you have speaking on your behalf. It's about connections. Unlike music, which is I think about Igor Stravinsky earlier today, you know, with AI and all the the stuff that's going on there with regard to writing letters, to composing songs on up and down. I told this frind of mind, I said, look, you know we're not going to stop AI. But you know you're also not going to stop musicians and composers and creative people. They don't compose and write and are creative because they want to. They actually have to. That's the way Stravinsky put it. He whatever is in your head and it needs to come out, that's what you're doing. And I feel that. Look, I've seventy four years old, so I mean, I hope I can do this for a while longer. Knock on what's so far, so good? But I don't pretend to know much about anything. About AI, but I know a lot about human beings, and those that are creative are going to create, not because the body is there necessarily or that the path to scoring the next Brad Pitt movies there. They're going to do it because they have the ability to and it needs to come out.
Speaker 1: Okay, So how much runway is there for Little Feet? Little Feet had Lowell George, and then Lowell George unfortunately passed away. You continued under vary incarnations. As you said, you're seventy four, but you do have hope to do this for a while. You're hooked up with Ken and Vector. What's the dream at this point in time.
Speaker 2: I'd like to get some new songs recorded as a part of the dream. I've written twenty songs with Robert Hunter, of which four have been recorded by the Little Feet, which leaves sixteen that haven't, and not all sixteen of them are should be recorded with Little Feet, by the way, eight or nine songs with Paul maul Dune, who's a poser, prize winning poet, poet and teaches it back East. Let's see whatever the big university is in New Jersey. At any rate, the dream for me is nothing substantial along the lines of of getting out in front of people and taking vows. It's it's having the ability to create music. New Old continued the conversation of playing with people that are extraordinary musicians little feet, Bob has always had the attitude. Let's say that John Coltrane and his band had I assume that it's more of a jazz uh thought process than rock and roll. It it figures more on on musicianship than than uh was you know, the visual. I think the music actually is more important to us. And I'm not knocking. I'm not knocking rock and roll. I love rock and roll. Uh, but I I uh, I think they get out and play the type of music that Little Feet plays. A song that Don was at one point and he had he had, uh they were playing with this uh one of the theaters down New Orleans. I think, uh, Stanford Theater. I can't, I can't think of the theater. But he said they were doing Waiting for Columbus. And he said, and it was. And I said harder than you thought. He said, yeah. I said, we didn't do it to trip you up. It was just that it was the type of music that we would write, would be inclusive of hopefully for our standpoint of good songs, the great resitionship as well, and twisted turns within the arrangements, not unlike what the Grateful Dad or took another group to Steely dand for example, those are tough arrangements to learn. So it's not like Oh Atlanta, which which I wrote, Lolah. I said, you can't write a here record. I go, can can't? Can't? You know? We're back and forth on that. As my idea of a hair record was having a chorus come up at you know, a minute in twenty four seconds, I guess. So it was not a hare record, but it's been something that people really like and and still respond to, and it's it fits in the age group. Another song like Voices on the Wind. Our engineer and producer co producer with me, George Messenberg, once said, what does that song mean? I said, well, in a feisty mood, I said, I don't know that it matters what it means. I want people to read into it. The Laker organization read it with caream up Jewel Dabbar went into retirement and he said it is his theme song. So that was kind of proof of the pudding there playing in little feats, like playing in ten different bands. You'd have to be in ten different bands to do the breath of material that we write and conceive and and push through, and it's not always easy to do that.
Speaker 1: By the way, let's bought a couple of interesting things. Let's stop for a second on Robert Hunter. How did you meet Robert Hunter? How do you end up writing with him? And what was the process?
Speaker 2: Like? I met Robert Hunter through Cameron Sears. Cameron was was co managing with John Cher from New York and we were coming up to another record and Cameron said, would you like to write with with with Bob? So I said, you know, let's let's see what happened. So Hunter sent me some lyrics and that took us a second or two first, because I thought, oh, let me talk to him. He doesn't want to talk, okay, cool, Well if he doesn't want to talk, then what what the hell are we doing? So Bob circumvented everything and just sent me some lyrics and I wrote to them. I sent him back and goes, this sounds great, and we just kept going and then about i'd say five or six songs into it, I'll get to the process in a second. But about five or six songs into it, he says, why don't you send me the music first and then I'll write lyrics to that. I go, okay. So we did a bunch like that. The point was, we never met, we never spoke on the phone, we didn't do zoom meetings, we didn't do anything. We just we just you would send me music and I would right to it. I mean, he sent me lyrics, excuse me, and I set melody and chords and whatnot to it, or we do it the other way around. And we did twenty songs like that, probably over about i'd say two hundred plus emails. So I said, at what point, I go, Bob, I'm sure you're a very nice man, but this is kind of like a Guatemala and Internet bride feeling to it. But we never met. We were going to get together for a picnic up in his place in northern California, and he fell ill, so we canceled that. And I think he also thought, we're maybe such good progress the way we're doing it, why don't we just leave it the way it is rather than not the way he would write with other people where he'd actually get together with him. And I live in Montana, by the way, so I'm sort of in a remote area.
Speaker 1: Okay, So let's just assume he sent you the lyrics. What is your process in terms of coming up with the music?
Speaker 2: I would do what I'm recording on now our conversation is a zoom recorder. The Tom Guarnsey, who's another friend of mine that we write music together. He gave it to me. He says, why don't you use this to write music? And I said, oh, okay, that way what I could be doing is sitting there playing Mary had a little lamb, let's say. And then five minutes later ago what was I playing? Was I going down? Or was I got dada? And then that was going to take me off and do another direction. The zoom recorder was my lifelong, my lifeline to the path I was going to take to write these songs. It made it a lot easier. When I'm out of that twenty songs. One song, he says, you know, I don't like it. Just sounds I hate to use the word, but sounds pedestrian. What you wrote, I said, Okay, I was trying to take it to an Irish Pub. I'll get back to you two days. Two days later I sent it to him. He goes, oh my god, what what is this?
Speaker 1: This is?
Speaker 2: This is great? Uh. I emailed it back. I said, I took it out of Ireland and I took it down to South America and I said, and he says, you know what I like about you. You don't let anything stand in the way of of anything. You just do what the hell you want. I said, well, what else do we have, man? I mean, I think the lyrics are superb. It was about a dragon, and I just opened it up to more changes, more of a h I say, magic realism within the lyrics that I want to to apply rather than to put the pendles at the uh uh the Irish pub on top of it. So it was it was the freedom we gave each other was, look, I won't mess with your lyrics. I will tell you, Bob, if there's something that I I wouldn't have said, or have a tough time singing. And every time I made those suggestions, He's like, try this, and we were right in there. So it was a fascinating way too. It taught me how to write music, even though I'd been writing songs for many, many years, but it opened me up. When I was writing with Paul Muldoon with other people, I had something where I had confidence that I could do it.
Speaker 1: Okay, but you're also a lyricist. So when you're working with Hunter, did you ever feel like, hey, I want to put in some words here, I want to change something.
Speaker 2: I might have tried it once and I got shut down pretty quickly, so I said, Okay, I understand the rules, let's do let's do it that way. I mean, it's a much better lyricist than I am, but I'm not a bad I'm not bad at it either, but I'm not Robert Hunter. So but he's not me. Uh. I think the biggest compliment we gave each other was was just I said something like, you know what I write and compose what I'm doing to your lyrics. The music is already there, and he says, yeah, but it takes a composer to draw it out. And we kind of left it at that.
Speaker 1: Now you mentioned th Atlanta. You were saying, well, it wasn't a hit. Well, in reality, it was. I mean, in nineteen seventy four it was all about FM and that was the first time that Little Feet got any significant rock radio airplay, and it was funny because it was seen as more of Lowell's being. But you're the one who had the successful track. So what was going on on the inside.
Speaker 2: Well, the inside is like a lot of bads. You'll usually have two maybe three people that are vine for the the cotton candy or whatever it is you're going after, and loll As in the beginning was my mentor. Essentially, I'm writing a memoir called Carnival Ghosts. I've taken an inordinarily long time to get to meeting law, probably thirty thirty five thousand words to describe what it is like to come out of a solitary sitting at the piano playing, you know, six years later after starting at age five, maybe playing a little bit of Mozart, certainly eight years later playing some rock mononoff et cetera, and all the while being encouraged by a teacher that allowed me to improvise. So when you get into a band, you come from that solitary existence to now there's a platter on the table full of food and you got anywhere from five to six guys that want It's like a boarding house reach kind of thing. How do you maneuver within that category, which is really what you're asking. It's it can be a fight and often turns into a fight. George Harrison certainly knew about that fight, so did Brian Jones. With Keith and Mick, uh, you know, this strong prevail is what happens, and so you have to really have a commitment to what you're asking. The first time I played Atlanta for the band, which is when we were doing a session for Little Feet where we were doing rock and roll Doctor and Alan Jusaint and was putting horns to it. The band looked like looked at me like yes, so what? I went, h you know what, we're playing a song, where do you like it or not? I kind of pushed it through And it's not the only song that that happened that way. And I'm sure Lowell came into us with a few things. We go, eh, yeah, cool, what do you want to do? And would people listen to the record? Hoy HOI? For example, it starts off with rocket in my pocket. It's it's with low playing acoustic guitar. I want the purity of Lowell's voice, his guitar playing acoustic guitar to ring through, and then I followed it up with the band to show what happens when the band gets ahold of it. It turns into not necessarily something different, but it can oftentimes be vastly different because of the rhythm, because of certain chre changes, maybe dropped or included, Uh, fat man in the bathtub, dude, bump bump, that's just an arrangemental thing, as is about it. And Dixie Chicken from the piano in both cases, or keyboards in both cases. But they add to what the song is and how it registers in your mind when you hear it. It's not it doesn't make me a writer on the song, but it adds life and provides a background to hear the song. So Lowell George was all so one of the very first to include band members that didn't write, like Richie Hayward, Sam Clayton, you know, Uh Kindergarten, Ny. We split the publishing. We did split writers, but we split the publishing just for that type of thing. So if somebody came in and threw in some LECs or or whatnot, they would be covered. I mean, trying to sustain a band is a very difficult thing because of egos, and you know, we did our best to try and circumvent that. But human beings or such as they are, it's a it's a delicate process.
Speaker 1: So it was Lowell jealous that you had the hit.
Speaker 2: I don't think so. I uh, I think what Lowell wanted and any proved at least initially with Warner Brothers on Sale and Shoes, which is our second album, that was his territory. He was carving out his own wrote the first album had songs that we co wrote, etc. I don't know if we wrote anything on the second album. We might have co written one or two songs. But but he decided to draw a line to say here's who I am. And I think he did in a very brilliant fashion, and that he he had a song like easy to Slip, Let's say and uh that was quitetessential lows It was great lyrics, great melody of the phrasing was impeccable. And I was still kind of sitting on the sidelines of plotting the guy and then but thinking maybe as we grew as a group that we would we would write more. That a group is not like backing up James Taylor or Bob Seeger or Jackson Brown. You you walk in there with a eyed eye, not like hey can I may I. It's eyed I. And that's what the advantage of being at a band is. It's also an extreme disadvantage if you don't agree with each other.
Speaker 1: Let's go back to the beginning. So you said you were taking piano lessons since age five. What was the incentive for that.
Speaker 2: A little girl across the street was playing piano and I thought if she could do it, I should do it. Her name was Marilyn Newell. It was a venture California, and I lived up on a hill with a gorgeous view. I'm sitting here in Montana with a gorgeous view. And when I finally found the right teacher, I marched into her piano room where I was gonna take the lessons. Her living room, I guess, and it was the theme of Davy Crockett and I I played it for it. She said, when you come back for your lesson next week, all write down what you played for me, so you see what it is, and we're going to start your first lesson. Well she did, and I still have it, and there's a multitude of notes. But my first lesson was C D followed throw thereafter by C B A with my left hand, and I got to say Bobby when I hit the left hand. You liked the miner as opposed to major tonality was like entering into exotic, an exotic world for a five year old. It it connoteded different images to me than or of a major field or as a major. Oh, the miner was or as I said, more exotic. It was it opened up a world that I wasn't really familiar with, but I want to know a lot better. And so that was what music does, at least it does for me and probably for a lot of people, especially musicians, but not always. It opens up those avenues that you had that connect the dots between things, between other art, between food, but between everything. It's a circuitry that's plugged into to who you are as a human being and what you want to say ultimately. And the trick as you're growing through the process of learning music and applying it to who and whom you are is how do you want to represent it? And what you write be it lyrics, what you compose is musical interluds within those lyrics or maybe just as instrumental music. How do you fit in with James Taylor, Bob Seeger, Barbie Benton, Body Rate, whoever I'm playing in the studio with. How do I take that musical background that I have and apply it to two different forms of music? And fortunately, because of my upbringing of playing, let's say back, I play a bock fugue for a little bit, and then I would zoom off into something else and play just strictly what was in my heart and head. Then I would come back to the music and play that. So I kind of had an open dialogue with with the more formal aspects of music and attach it to the world of the mind, which can take anywhere. It's like a dream.
Speaker 1: Okay, your in venturer at California. What are your parents doing for a living? How many kids in the family.
Speaker 2: I have a brother three and a half years younger than I am, who at one point tried to take piano lessons to work. I had a sister that was nine years older, born in nineteen forty. She had taken piano lessons and did work for her either. For whatever reason, it stuck with me. My dad worked as a mechanical engineer, over at point Ago. He was a civilian, but within the context of working for the Navy. I guess my mother was a state home bomb. My family was from Texas. My brother at that time was the only person in the family not born in Texas. He was born in California.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you're in California. Based on what you're seeing. You fiddled around on the piano and you made some progress before you even win for lessons.
Speaker 2: Yes, the first song by my mother taught me and watched her play, but I couldn't play like her was via condos and it was Mary Ford and uh less uh less Paul. I still have the album cover for it. While I did solo shows, I showed him that album cover. Is this just a deep rich uh excuse me, not album cover, but but sheet music and uh yeah, the wharf is you know your mother's lap. You're in a basement that's cold, a little scary. You're you're in a piano with the keyser chipped a little bit, and she's shown you where to place your fingers to play the melody. Uh to me that that that submitted a great bond at that age to my mom. Uh and it introduced me to an instrument that to this day I still provides and provokes, uh by by by muse what what I what? I sit down, I don't often sit down with an agenda. Aist sit down and play a little bit. And uh so I'm reacting, reacting on I want a tactle information from what the way my fingers hit the keys, and importantly what I'm hearing. And I'm in full recognition that Beethoven, who is deaf, uh was not provided that. But I also know that a trick that my teacher taught me, which was when you're you're not always going to have a piano in front of you, but you will have a desk, your knees the air, and you can sit there and play. And when I do that right now, I'm playing in mid air. Here, I'm in a key of F F A C. I can hear it in my head. I go up to the B flat who play that. I can hit an F with an E in the base, which is not what you normally play. That would maybe a passing time to the F. So these are things that that whether you can hear the music or not, you can at least hear it in your head. And then go to arrangements. I've made ample use of that over the years, with little feet for arrangements. When I wasn't sitting next to a piano, I could still figure out what I wanted to do.
Speaker 1: Okay, for some people it comes easy, for some people, it comes hard.
Speaker 2: What was your experience, It was a combination of both everything that you attack in earnest comes with difficulty and having a great teacher that's your mode of either have I got to crawl under the fence, dig under it? Am I going to go through it? Or am I going to pull vault over it? And the teacher is there to give you options and guidance on how to do that because you're going to hit the wall at some point. And she also gave me one important lesson too, Bob, which was at some point when I was given her recital, I was going to blank out, and she said, don't let that freak you outtion just that terminology. Don't let that panic you. It happens to most people. And she mentioned a couple of her older students where it had happened to them, and it didn't happen under her watch, but it did take place, and it was on a Mozart D major sonata and I completely forgot where I wasn't a piece, and it about destroyed me. I mean, I was like, and I looked at it later, I go, she told you not to let it get you under your skin, and I did, but not for long.
Speaker 1: Well, just to continue the lesson. If she told you not to panic, what did she tell you to do under those circumstances.
Speaker 2: She said, just to if you need to get the music up there to reorient, do that, or try and find a place where you could could stop and start again and continue. But in any case, if you had to just throw up your hands and say you know, enough is enough, then that's okay too. It's it's a part. It was like the Terrible Twos. Is the way I gathered it. It was gonna happen. At some point I was playing a gig with a solo show at the Where was it, Maryland? I guess Annapolis, And the audience is there and they go, hey, sing Dixie Chicken, and I go, I'm gonna be honest with you. I'm like driving Miss Daisy in the back of the car. I've never sun Dixie Chicken. I know I could do it. But I don't know the lyrics. So I said, why don't we sing the song together, just a chorus, and so I started playing with it. Let's do a couple of rounds. So we did that. Yeah, I've had to stop and start with I was on stage with James Taylor in front of twenty thousand people, and I had a I was hooked up to a a synth helper, you know, like a I'd recorded some stuff in there, and I hit the button laid or I didn't hit it or whatever happened, and it screwed it up, and I had to stop the song, and I said to the audience, I said, we're going to try this again, but without the alert James, without the recorded music. Take one.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I just think, you know, there are times when you can let the audience in on what's behind the curtain, and you always have full access to keeping that curtain where it is too. It's a matter of style, and I try not to take myself too seriously. The only thing I take seriously is is having fun while doing it, but being serious to the to the approach of the music itself. I call that serious fun. So there's a reason we have arrangements within little feed or that I've been able to play on other people's songs and I'm very quick at what I do generally speaking. Or if I have a more complex idea and people go, hey, can we stop it there, and I go, allow me to do two more things before we stop it. I want to add another instrument and then this tell me fore like it or not? They go okay, and then oh, yeah, that sounds great or whatever. I mean. I've rarely hit a brick wall to use that terminology again with people in the studio, but occasionally it's happened. And what it does, I just say, you know, I think we are just calling is We're not going to get much further. It's not an immediate hey, I give up. I don't give up, but there are just times when you have to know when enough is enough and say, I'm not communicating with this person, with this artist, I don't really have much to add to this song, and that's okay. Other songs will take it place, okay.
Speaker 1: One of the other big issues taking piano lessons is a kid is practice. Did you practice?
Speaker 2: I did practice, to the point were years later. Terry Katz, who was a kind of a Malliete, a bad guy that lived beneath me, adventurer. He came up to me at the venture A theater years later with little feet, he says. Then he apologized. He says, you know, I didn't know why you had to practice all those years, but I get it. I get it down. And so a part of what I'm writing about my book is this notion of people thought the other kids thought maybe I was Liberaci or something. So I would prove I wasn't a Liberachi by stealing their girlfriends, by hitting a home run, by making a basket at the center court, or whatever the hell I do skateboarding later feet. By that time people knew I was a regular guy, and what is regular these days anyway, But in the fifties, yeah, there was like you were either el not Elton John. El Elton John took his cue from Liberaci. You were either Liberaci or you were you know, Jerry Lee on the piano, putting your foot on the keyboard. So I was more of Jerry Lee. But I was also I had the active to play more of the style that Liberaci would play, which was classical music. So it was the practices what allows you to do that, but it is also something that disengages you or can between you and the audience. And I've had kind of fun with in writing this book to describe a little more in detail what is involved in that, which is not a heck of a lot more than what I've just told you, but it's a I could share one more story with you if you if you'd like sure with with I was playing with the Doomie Brothers and was on a particular song and what what I would normally do is I'd go, this is my second album with them, and they had a certain kind of kind of eighth notes feel on the top part of the keyboard. Is the last song I was playing that day, and I was a little tired, but I thought, you know, and I threw in this stupid lick in the bridge and I stopped the tape. And John Landy was the engineer, Ted Tipple was producing. Tom Johnson was behind the could draw aboard as well. I said, fellas, let me do, let me do that lick again. I was just goofing around there go no, no, no, Bill, we like it. I said, no, I don't like it. It's I was, I don't want it in there. I was screwing off. Okay, I had to go inside the con I said when I said fifth grade, maybe sixth I get called Bill Payne, will now play the Pianoties assemblies Washington Elementary School Adventure. I'd get a standing ovation. I would walk up to the keyboard. I'd play a little Chinese Diddy D d D kind of song, rock and roll type of thing, and I'd walk back standing ovation to my chair. I'd go on the playground and get beat up like everybody else. Twenty two years later, I get a call from Tom Johnson. He says, not like, hello, Bill, how are you doing? It was like, you know that lick that you didn't like? I go, yeah, Tom, what about it? He says, was a result of the lick that you didn't want on the record that we kept in the story you told. I went home that that evening and called that song China Grove. I go, you're welcome. Where's my publishing? Hey? We fact that over that there we are, so.
Speaker 1: The intro to China grow. That's you. You came up with that.
Speaker 2: It was a it was a lick in the middle of the brit that lick there. I didn't mean, I did it because I'd meant to do it, but it was I was kidding around. It was a joke, and that's why I had explained the joke of the Chinese songs I played in the other kind of thing, and not the Chinese music as a joke. Far from it, but in the context it was so yeah, things like that. I I uh, I thought that was pretty interesting. And it might have been twenty four years later as opposed to twenty two, but it was. It was a long time later. Tell me and I knew each other for a long time, so that's kind of fun.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's go back to the early days. You said, on one hand, kids perceived you as Liberachi. On another kid, you know, you were out on a playground getting beaten up and hitting home runs. So what kind of kid were you? Good student? Bad student? Did you fit in? Were you a loner?
Speaker 2: I'd say not a great student? Uh, But people recognized I had musical talent, and that talent was represented in a couple of fashions. One was there was a a room that was that was out. It was indoors, but it was it had an open ceiling, so it was in the middle of school. Uh. I think I was probably in third grade. Missus Julie was our principal there at Washington Elementary, and they put me in this class with probably four or five other kids, and they said, you can literally do anything you want to do. And I looked at them. I did the one or two teachers what they had there. I said, can I break these windows? And they said, well, we wouldn't recommend it, but if that's what you want to do, go ahead. So we arely these little test subjects as to what would children do given the opportunity to paint, to work with clay, you know you wanted to draw, if you asked for something they didn't have, they provided for you. What I found out from that was that I was much better at something if I was given direction to do it, and then I could augment from there. So it wasn't a strict hey do it our way to the highway. Here's what we suggest you do. We'd like you to paint us a picture of you and the little girl that lives across the street from you. And I would have tried to have done that, but just open that blank canvas, Bob. It stopped me dead in my tracks. I didn't know what to do. I had too many options.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you're in school, do you have a lot of friends. Are you into sports?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I love sports. I I did have a lot of friends, mainly on the street I grew up. It was all girls. There was one guy there, excuse me, but the rest were girls. So I learned very early that don't mess with the girls. There are repercussions to that. And it took me a couple of three times to learn that lesson, which I forgot later in life, but it was it centinly hammered into me, almost literally when I was a kid that you know, girls are tough. If you want to play the Alamo with them, fine, if you hit him with a Katie stab, or the girls running across the field, you leader with the dirt clod and hit her in the head, other repercussions to that. What's their work? But in school, in general, I was not super shy. I went to the in sixth grade there was a track meet and I asked the school if we could take I was a program chairman was voted in for that. Could we take half a day off to hold the track meet? And we couldn't hold the track meet with Doctor Coffee, which are the people they held it before because they had issues with insurance and with I guess kids got injured or something somehow or another. I, because I really wanted it, I convinced him to do exactly that, give us a half day off. We had pole vault, we had high jump, we were doing races, We're doing all kinds of things. So when pressed to the wall again with something I really want to do, I was capable of craying out of my shell and making sure it happened. So I felt I was sort of an anomaly in a certain sense and that I possessed enough moxie to step up when I needed to. But in general, if I walked into a restaurant and somebody singing Happy Birthday to me when they knew it wasn't my birthday, I was embarrassed. Now, I haven't been embarrassed in a long long time. But I didn't. I didn't come out of the box that way. I came out like, hey, is is it safe? That kind of thing. And I didn't even know as a musician that I wanted to be in a band. The first band I auditioned for was after I lost my teacher at age fifteen, and I auditioned not to play piano on this band, but I play. I auditioned to play drums. So what does that tell you?
Speaker 1: You know, it leaves a lot of open questions.
Speaker 2: It does, which which is the reason I'm writing this book, because I you would think with the way I played piano and with the activeum I played Donald with a little beat with everybody else I've had the privilege of playing with. Uh, I'm not shy about it. I mean, I take it unless I'm asked to hit a hold out or in the case of playing with with with Bob Asron and oh Man, I did every think of the band name the guys that did the wall Pink Floyd wouldn't played Pink Floyd. Bob Asward told me every note to play, so I went, okay. Jeff Ricarr was there, Uh, the guitar player David was there, and I just if those guys don't care, now, I'll just play in an A C JRB. You know. Uh, when Jackson Brown did that to me, I said, why don't you come out here and play the song? Jackson because on his I think it was his second album, and I played on one song already, but every time i'd play a chord, you go play like this, and I'd play in a couple of bars, no play instead of D F sharp A play F sharp a D. I finally said, would you come in the room play this for me? So he did, and I said, is there any earthly reason you're getting me to play like you when you can play it just fine and you're wasting your time and money getting me to do that. And so he was. That year that we had that conversation, the Playboy magazine had him and so I think Rock Piano Player of the Year. And I said, well, you call me back. If you called me back, I will take direction, but I want to be able to put some of myself into it as well. So the song was here come those Tears again on the Pretender album, and I played on more than a couple songs on that record. I was able to kind of do what I wanted. The Pretender, by the way, is Fred Tackett, who plays a little feet which I never knew or didn't know it a few years ago.
Speaker 1: I mean, the Pretender is Fred Tackett. Yes, explain a little bit, since you know Fred I can't imagine what it means. I mean, Fred is he's just he's from Arkansas.
Speaker 2: He's uh uh. He's probably done as many or more session session work than I have. There was a session in which we were playing for Abraham L. Boreal and I've had his son, of course, who's playing right with Sir Paul McCartney anyway, Ale Boil, Jeff Pacar on drums, Fred Tackett on guitar acoustic guitar, and I played keyboards. The producer calls me into the room says, what's Fred Tackett doing? I said, what tracksy on? Yes seventeen and eighteen. I went on to the board as Richard Perry Studio Studio fifty four in Hollywood. I pulled both faders down and the track even with Jeff and Abe and myself almost visibly sagged. I said, he's your glue. And I pushed the tracks back up and walked out of the room. So what he could have been the pretender about is beyond me. He was more like a glass of water, which may maybe kind of the same thing, which is who is he? Is? He really who we think he is? There? He's the pretender. I don't know the lyrics to Jackson's song.
Speaker 1: Well, I certainly do. But well, let me go back a chapter. I was talking about being in high school and you talked about stealing the girl friend. And it's funny that you mentioned that, because that would imply a strong inner confidence. In addition, I know how hard it is to make it. Could you amplify what you were talking about about there or why you mentioned that.
Speaker 2: I mentioned that because it was Hey, it was true. It was it was a step of of of showing those that they might have thought because I played piano and was not always at the practice field to play softball or wherever, Uh, that maybe I wasn't as manly as they thought and it wasn't a competition along those lines, or was I supposed to be. But I kind of took it as such. And I do have that passive aggressive nature of I could be very competitive with people when put to the test, but I don't like doing it. But but if it's there, I'll go for it. And so if it was because I grew up with a block full of girls, I wasn't intimidated by them or off foot by the fact that they were different than us, I used it as a way just to to act as a cool guy until I got older and then got flustered by it in a couple of times in my life, but in general, I just thought, yeah, I feel confident in being a guy. And did I think Marilyn Monroe in the seven year itch was beautiful and would have loved to kissed her and whatever? And I thought, yeah, she's gorgeous. I liked women. I like girls, so there's one way, one way to do it, or to be involved. And later, much later, the cliche is, yeah, I started playing rock and roll so I could meet girls. Well, yeah, that's part of it, but it certainly wasn't the whole thing.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's stay there. Your first band, you say you're gonna play drums. At what point do you want to play with other people? And music is changing while you're doing this. You know, rock comes in in the early fifties, then we have Elvis in the mid fifty then we have the crap pop acts of Fabian Bobby ry Dell, and then the Beatles come in in sixty four. So what was going on in your life is all these things were happening in music.
Speaker 2: Having a sister that was nine years older than me. She introduced me to Elvis Presley by virtue of the fact she went down to the record store to buy a hound dog, and I was as enamored with the music as I was the visual of the RCA label with the dog listening to the phonograph, so I liked both a lot. I also, like most kids, grew up listening to radio, and there was a guy named Dick Shipley who was one of the DJs Adventura, and we had the rotary fronts. So the first caller to call in will win a record. So I'd have my second finger on a first finger on the last the dial, I'd be the first caller. Well, the record I won was The Ghost of Billy Mloo by Dorsey Burnett, and Dorsey's son was Billy. He had a brother too, I guess. So music was magic to me. Okay, great, but what is the application the application of of of music and rock and roll and where I would fit into it was a more arduous and long process. So by the time I got to the point of auditioning to play drums, I was aware of a lot of different music. I liked a lot of different styles. I liked everything from Alley Oop by the Hollywood Argyles to uh, you know the Brtie Robins song, you know al Paso with a cool guitar and all that. I fell in love with the Beatles, but I also fell in love with the Rolling Stones. Oh you can't love them both? I go, well, I bloody well, kine mate, it's alright. So that kind of thing I just taking and choosing battles is a part of I've spent a whole lifetime going well, why did you do that? Why are you doing it this way? Why would you do this? You know? I hadn't written. I wrote one song called Tripping Out in nineteen sixty six. The label was Psychedelic Records, Acid Ad Productions that it was a group called Something Wild. Okay, well something Wild. In nineteen sixty six we had our photograph taken with Peter Asher. Peter Gordon sixty six, I would have been seventeen years old age. If it were February, I would have been sixteen. So I've got a pretty good photo of and I standing next to each other at least ted twelve years before we actually met each other. Later. It's a Dickinson tale in other words, which is the reason I'm writing this book. But the obvious for me has not always been obvious. And I'm not slow, Bob, but I just sometimes the application is something that takes me a little while longer to figure out.
Speaker 1: Okay, living in Ventura, which is a beach community, although somewhat of a city there, how big a deal were the Beach Boys, Gen and Dean surf music for you.
Speaker 2: It was a real big deal. And I just had a nice shout out from one of the guys on the Beach Boys the other day. There were I didn't really know the cats, but I mean my brother knew. Carl and Van Dyke, Parks and Brian and I were out of piano at Sunset Sound. Van Dyke ushered me into the Rimses play the song with us, so myself, Brian, you know, Brian and Van Dyke, we're playing this tune. But at Janadine, I love the music. I love I was a surfer. Other than getting invited by Jackie Stewart to play with the Rolling Stones in nineteen I think it was nineteen eighty eighty one, must been eighty one. One of the biggest thrills of my life was to be asked to join a surf club because the guy saw me surfing at C Street in Ventura, and I go, you want to join this club, which I did, And about a week later, down in wind and Sea, I got run over by somebody else surfing out there, and I had nine stitches put into my hand. And the doctor saw me. I go, where can I go surfing again? I would say two weeks? Yes. So I went over to my parents and they said, what did doctor say? They didn't even go with me to the and they said, he said, I go surfing immediately. So I went went out surf for a couple of weeks, came back and go, oh, this looks remarkably well. It's it's dry, it's it's looking fine. You came within a millimeter of losing the use of your left hand, by the way, I go, okay, doc, hey, when can I go surfing again? Oh? I'd waited another two weeks and I why at the door and went down the beach went surfing. So I have a problem with authority right, which is another place where musicians and people with creative inpulses kind of coalesced. Sometimes not always, but a good percentage of the time we do it. Counts for all kinds of mischief and for being particularly thrown into that that that uh not that many years after we got out of school, like in the late sixties with LSD and everything else that was coming into vogue. It it was like a fire burning through a forest. It took out a lot of people, you know, it was just it was just something we had to do. It's it's a historic point in time, as something like yourself knows rather well. I look at myself as a survivor, but I also found out pretty early that I couldn't keep up with people that had a different bent towards towards that type of thing. So uh, you know, I I think of myself as fortunate. I also think of myself as fortunate of being a little feet where the emphasis to put little feet together between Law and I was, let's have a vehicle that is expandable, that fits whatever music we're trying to play. Do we need horns, do we need another guitar player? Should we contemplate another keyboard player? What do we need? Let's come to it based on the music that we're playing and what we think we need at the time. And so rather than the first set of music that we played for Ahmed Erdigon, which were essentially all instrumentals and more like Frank Zappa esque type of music. We rather shortly after Ahmed said, boys, it's too diverse. So we went back to the drawing board and went, oh, okay, so we put the songs that Brides of Jesus, Hamburger, Midnight, Strawberry Flats, I've been to One, taking my Time. All these songs that were the titles themselves display Captain Gunbow willing display a diversity and eclecticism. You can imagine this type of music we played for amedt Erdgon. It must have been off the charts. And much later when I found out who Erdigand was and his association with Ray Charles, I go, oh my god. If I'd known who he was, I would have been too embarrassed to play it for him.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's go back. So you try out for being the drums. Do you play in Being's in high school? Do you stop your education after high school? You go to community college or college? And at what point do you say, yeah, I want to play music for a living.
Speaker 2: The drum instance only took place during the audition for this particular band, and I'd had a bad go of a venture where I drank too much and I didn't want to kill myself, but it almost happened. My parents picked me up. They go, there's a kid. There's her mother, I mean his mother called and watched an audition for a band. That was them saying we want to try and help you out. Here. During the audition, there's a piano setup in that we're playing in. I ambled over to it and with the lifted the top up, didn't sit down to stood there and play. They go, hey, wait, wait a minute, here, you play the piano. I go, I guess I've been playing the piano for ten years. At that point, they said, forget this band. Here. We've got a band down the street. It's called the Debonairs. You're gonna play keyboards. Forget the drums. So yeah, I played drums. I played keyboards far Fisa, Oregon, which is like an earwing buzzing into your head and drawing your brain full of holes. I know there was a horrible sound, but everybody and the brother was using it. So I played that instrument through high school. I went to a year and a half of junior college, which included let's see Alan Handcock Junior College, which is in Santa Maria, which is where I was going to high school. So I moved from venture to Santa Maria and I school and I went back to a half semester Adventure Junior College. And I might add that my volleyball coach at Alan Hancock was John Matton, who was running a football team there, and a year later was down in San Diego and they went up to Tolkland. I go, I like that guy. Oh, that was my volleyball teacher. But he never taught us anything. He says, show up, you make this grade, show up to this thing, you make this grade, etc. I got a football team and walked away from us.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what's the motivation to stop your education and what's going on with your professional musical career at that time.
Speaker 2: Frank Salazar, who was my counselor and he was also the conductor of the orchestra Adventurer Junior College, I had a one on one with him toward the end of that first semester. This is in sixty eight. The world was on fire literally and figuratively in sixty eight with the assassination of Martin Luther King of Robert Kennedy, the continuation of the riots throughout the United States in the black communities of Detroit, La. Etc. It was just a rough time, and the Vietnam War was in full swing, and I was bound and determined to join a band that would bring me up to some sort of value musically that I felt I deserved. I wasn't much for jamming in the ky of a for twenty thirty minutes at a time and then jamming in the KIVD for another thirty minutes. It didn't speak to me. I could do it, but I didn't like it. So he said, look, if you want to get out of here, I don't blame you. We can't teach you anything. Here gonna be drafted if if you get out of the out of school. I said, well, I'll take that chance. So there's the impetus and the pretty real roadblock that was in front of me just to search out who. Not that long after would be Lowell George. And this was in sixty nine. The my semester Inventure Junior College was in sixty eight. So by sixty nine, I'm out there, done with the dog paddling. I'm going to start swimming and see where it takes me. I went first in northern California to a band up there, and I met a couple of people there, but I didn't I wasn't confident enough in who I was and my abilities to know the avenue or to choose a path on how to present myself to people. I heard the album Uncle Meat after turning down a couple of bands up there, and this is Frank Zappa's record. I went, man, that's a kind of music I want to play. So I went back to a La Vista, which is kind of a home base about an hour south of Santa Maria, next to UCSB, the University at Santa Barbara, and with a phony calling card. There are two people I could call two labels. One of the Straight Records, the other was Bizarre. They were both Frank Zappa's label. I chose Bizarre and I called to the lady there, and not with one conversation, with maybe four or five, perhaps I convinced her that I was an okay kid. I was new to all this. I wasn't sure how to do anything, but I needed her help, and not initially, but shortly thereafter, she put me in touch with Loel George, who had been asked to start his own band by Frank Zappa. Ti I met Lowell.
Speaker 1: Okay, just going sideways for a second. Whatever happened with.
Speaker 2: The draft, I was drafted shortly after I got in uh in Little Vee and Uh. I will keep this trunk caded because it's a it's a long and involved story, but the gist of it was I got the shrink to at l A. You know, before you can say oh, I'm gay, I'm I'm this, I'm mad, they go, well, hey, now come on in. We don't care what you are. You're going to the army and you're gonna go down to Vietnam fight. Uh. A dear friend of mine, Gar Huffman Uh he and his brother Duh. Gar was older than d and I and he was a medic in Vietnam. He said, whatever you guys do, do not come down here. It's it is a free for all and in a good way. And if you've got to go to Canada, do it whatever you have to do. Don't don't come to don't get drafted. So I took that as a means of I'm going to do whatever it takes not to get drafted, which is why I made the shrink after several maneuvers, cut down three flights of stairs at LA at the LA draft board to order me out of there and send me to a hospital. We'll draft him later. And a nurse saw me at the hospital as this young doctor was walking in. She goes, doctor, he's nothing but an animal, and I go, yeah, lady, and you're the one who wants me to go off and kill people I don't know, and I have no business having a rifle or I don't believe in this war period. And not long after that needed Walter Cronkite. So it was. It was that kind of world. Bob as she as. You know, we're about the same age. I'm a little older than you, but we were. Faith was something that was just kind of like where we are now, insurmountable in terms of where does the truth lie, what does truth mean? Does it mean anything?
Speaker 1: Okay, just to be clear, you talk to the shrink and he put you in the hospital after you told them what.
Speaker 2: I didn't say a word. I was lying there at a fetal position, and I made them make the action of physically picking me up and putting me on a bus. To ford ord or ordering people to send me to a hospital, which is what the guy did. But that was probably my fourth time, certain my second or third note, I want to but what my third time at that draft board. What's the first time I went through? I signed everything they put in front of me, saying that I wouldn't and I realized rather early on there was call of the book First Circle by soultsanitsa where you're in a holding tank someplace and you don't know if it's day or night, so hours don't mean anything. Time doesn't mean anything. And later on I went, oh, that's like being in a recording studio you kind of divorced from. If they don't have windows in there, you can be in there for ten hours. And it's like the theory of relativity. According to Einstein, if you have a beautiful woman on your lap for a minute, it seems like an hour. If you have a person maybe not so beautiful on your lab for or excuse me for anyway, I got it reverse time. It's a sexist tale. I shouldn't tell it anyway, But I just thought, I've got to take the chance on not being drafted so I can play with little feet and that's exactly what I did.
Speaker 1: Okay, what did you tell this woman in herb Cohne's office? Bizarre? That would have vated her to put you together with Lowell.
Speaker 2: I told her that I had taken piano lessons for a long time. I played locally with several bands as I got older. I wanted to keep it short, and I told her that I love Frank's music. I didn't want to meet Lowell. I want to meet Frank. Frank was over in Europe. He wouldn't be back for a month, so that month interim. Would you be okay with meeting Lowell George? This is after introduced me to Jeffrey Simmons, who was with a group called Eureka. Would Jeff heard me play at the Tropicana Hotel? Which is in his room? He had a keyboard setup. He then goes, well, I played keyboards too, and I'm going, well, that's great. Why'd you have me come down here? But I didn't say that. I go, Okay, call this person back and there's a guy named Lowell George you might want to meet. So it's like a lot of things is very secuitous route to meeting Lowell and Indeed when I when I went to his house, I had it set up and there was this beautiful blonde girl sitting cross legged on the floor, doors open his summertime. She's listening to Eric's satti. She goes, oh, you must be built. Lowell's expected you. He will be back in four or five hours. I said, well, what does he do when he's not expected you? So so continue the story.
Speaker 1: So we'll tell us about ultimately meeting him.
Speaker 2: So when he came in, I spent a because she left not too long after that, I had a long time to, like, you know, steady his house. He had a sitar on the back corner, right down corner of the wall in this rustic house in the LUs Felis area off a in Lamont Drive, and he uh he had a samurai sword on the on the very back wall. Next to that was a kitchen, very rustic in nature. Uh. His record collection included uh oh by John Coltrane. He had an album that that Frank Szapp had released on Lenny Bruce uh, and he so he had Lenny Bruce an album of Lenny's Uh. He had a couple of albums with Oh the Blues collection that the Smithsonian Blues Collection, of which one of the songs on there was joined the band Hey, Lordy John, the band which we put on the top of Waiting for Columbus. Uh. He had music with with Chester Burnett, uh hold Wolf and with Muddy Waters. So he had He was a very collectic guy, and I kind of his book collection was everything from uh, I'm looking on my book collections that still the same thing, to a collection of poems by Carl Sandberg. Probably I think he might have had the Carl Sandberg of Lincoln books that he wrote as well. He had Last Exit to Brooklyn, which is a brutal book uh poetry by Alan Alan Ginsburg Howl. So rather a collect e sensive. The time Lowell showed up and we began conversing one on one, it was like Jaygovara and Fidel Castro meeting the first time from what I've read, where they conversed about everything under the sun. And that's kind of the way we hit it off. So by the time I left there, we decided, well, hey, come back in a week, let's let's continue this. And we did. And this is the detail I'm trying to tell, which is it's deep. I only knew Low for ten years, but it might as well have been one hundred years. It was. That's that kind of relationship.
Speaker 1: So you're talking, at what point do you end up playing some music.
Speaker 2: I don't think it was that long after. I utilize a piano like most people utilize their voice. If I need to illustrate something, I sit down and play it. You know, It's a part of my vocabulary is playing the piano. So he had an achistic guitar available, and I think we just started playing a few things. There might have been a little snippets of music that he had. As I said, I hadn't written anything out of some psychedelic tripping out that elliot Ingbert from The Mother's Invention, about a month later, came through the door with that particular single. Said did you play on this? I go, yeah, I go where'd you find? He says, in a band at a record store? And I got it because I said psychedelic music. Acid had productions from nineteen sixty six. This is one of the first of those kind of records. I go, oh. I didn't know that. In fact, I didn't know what any of it meant at that time. But shortly thereafter I did. So there we were okay.
Speaker 1: So you say that ultimately you auditioned for Ahmit, you go back to workshop, you're wood shedding. You ultimately a deal with Warner Brothers. How long a period of time is this and is there a manager involved?
Speaker 2: It was about a It was off the course of a roughly a year, maybe a little less than that. Actually, I just said with Russ's title in New York a couple of weeks ago, and Russ reminded me that we were going to go to Lizard Records Slow and I and I think Meckler Mickler was at the head of that. I can't remember his first name, but Russ insisted that we go to Warner Bros. Then at least we tag up at Lenny Warderker's office, which is what we did. And interestingly, we went out there just Laul and I. Lenny had a piano in his office. We sat there and we played anywhere from seven to nine songs, as kind of like going to Schwab's drug store and being recognized that the counter, and he asked to be in a movie. I mean, we didn't really have a band yet. Richie Hayward was with us, but we weren't in sync. We didn't have Roy Strada was on our band. We auditioned probably seventeen bass players the first six months or whatever. There's a lot of whom. One of them was Paul Breyer. We didn't play bass. He played guitar, and LOL goes, well, it's two less strings, go for it, you know. So I mean that that kind. I mean, I wish it was loose. The only manager we had for about a nana second was a business manager, uh, mister Kibbi. Martin Kibby wrote co wrote Dixie Chicken with Low et cetera. And so his dad, Martin was a good uh what wasn't he of that group? Richie was as a fraternity of man. Martin was a different group, and they are. His father said boys don't spend it all in one place. That was his advice, and I thought, you know what, that's very good advice. So I kind of adhere to that for for quite a while.
Speaker 1: So what were you surviving on at that point?
Speaker 2: Oh, you know, that's a very good question. I mean, I would alternately live in my parents' house. I was hanging out in a La Vista, which didn't bring in money, but at least I knew people. I could sleep a took place, rash on the floor or whatever. I slept at Lowell's for the first month or two, and then the la Bianca family was murdered less than a half mile from Lowell's house. We had just met with Terry Melcher a night or two before. Terry was going over to Europe. He said, when I get back, we'll talk about a record deal. Well, purportedly Manson, although this is up in the air too historically whether Melcher was being sought out or not by Manson for not giving him a record deal. But for a long time that was the story. But I wound up sleeping in Lowell's van because he brought in these cats with Patricia, one of the Price sisters, of which there were three sisters. One was married to Richie. Yeah, it was married to Rick Harper, our road manager, and Lowell was married to Patty and she I might add that their mother was Lula Belle, who sang the high part on the Lion Sleeps Tonight for Telstar, and she said the high part on a that Star trek. So that was a family the girls came from. And so we had our own Hollywood history going on there. But I eventually got out of Loll's place and found a place and the lady got me a She said, I have an acoustic piano in my house. It was a baby grant, and U you know, I was lucky in a lot of respects about of being able to search for something and tell people like the gallon the phone and warners or straight records, excuse me a bizarre what I did, and they go, oh, okay, yeah, let's try this.
Speaker 1: You know, did you ever have a street job?
Speaker 2: Uh? The only job I did other than play music was I was a paper boy adventure. I had the most customers that are route in the city, and I had a good aim.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Russ says, you got to sign with Warner Brothers. Tell me the experience of making that record which you make with Russ. And I was living on the East Coast at that time. It was like it didn't even come out. What was the experience for you? The experience was a.
Speaker 2: Nightmare, and that I thought that they were Lord, hey, Russ, we're very good friends. And as it turns out, they became disenchanted with each other over all. Manner of things be it, arrangements, the music there's been chosen, I'm sure, just everything. So that made it a nightmare because two guys that I thought were dear friends were now dear enemies, and it made it very, very uncomfortable. First album I had never played on, so I wasn't sure what to expect. Anyway, I hadn't been doing sessions at that time. I might have just started doing it, but I was. I was completely a newbie at what was involved in any of it. So it was a difficult record to put together. It didn't sell any I sawd eleven thousand copies. The first tour was I felt when we played New Year's even I don't know, wasn't New Ye's Eve New Year's Day in New York City at Club of Gano. We had two painting customers and the rest were from Warner Bros. That probably eight or nine people were there, and I was so out of it in terms of the angst of being where I thought, we're gonna be doing great because we're on started giving the you know, the record a good review, great review effect on Strawberry Flats, maybe Hamburg at midnight, and I but we're out there and We're like, we're no nothing, no one knows this. Uh. We're up in Cleveland and we're playing with the Vanilla Figs. The audience bring on the fudge and we're just like, what the hell are we doing? And we got to Texas and there's a couple of girls there and I went, oh, I get it. I think I like touring. So touring's okay, wait a minute, forget what I said. I'm back. I'll be back on the road any time you want. Uh So yeah, thinking like a musician, like a dope. And there it was, and we went in to make sale Juice, which was a different proposition but sold three thousand more So. Another way to put it is is the humility of it and having to be humble. At some point you got to face facts. But also taught me a great deal about Moe, Austin and Warner Brothers, which is they were willing to stick it out with something that was not viable, but we were a cachet for them as well to people they're trying to bring in, saying, look, we've got a little feet. We know they don't sell, but they they've got a great uh you know, their thought of glowing terms in terms of who they are, which is musicians, uh, composers, et cetera. It felt like a home to me with with with them and uh, it was so so in that regard. There were there were a lot of lessons available. But but but they're all bunched in as lessons often are with you know, in layers.
Speaker 1: Okay, I have to bring up Willing, which is on both the first and second albums. Do you remember Lowell writing it? Did you have any idea the iconic song would become what's your remembrance of that?
Speaker 2: The song Willan is I wasn't there when he wrote it. They put it on the record is not an afterthought. It was a good song. But when I heard I had brought down with me from Santa Maria some country music by you know, Conway Twitty for example. Those are cats. I was listening to COMG Truitty, George Jones. What Willin sounded like to me, Bob was was a caricature of not only a truck driver, but of country music. So the reason we re recorded it for Sailing Shoes was we when we got together and we had the piano on it, well, it took us for serious approach, the way he was singing the vocal. That's why that song is iconic, not because of that first iteration. That's my opinion anyway.
Speaker 1: Okay, in the experience of making the record with Ted Templeman.
Speaker 2: Well, I took a little bit of a backseat on that record in terms of letting Lowell, you know, like his statement hurt Richie and I. On the other hand, when we were rehearsing for it, I said that we were like two two tornadoes criss crossing each other in a room, you know. On the songs that allowed, which hardly any of them did. But for the lead up to that record, we were able to jam certain songs, but they weren't one note jams. They were songs with chord changes. But we would play him with a complete and underdoor abandonment, and we laughed about because, yeah, we're being paid to do this. It was our little our little clubhouse. You know. I might have driven Battle a little crazy, but but not all that much because we would have got time to play the actual tunes. We would we would settle down and try and adopt a more studio approach, which is the same, more conservative approach, but we we took every opportunity we could to put the pedal to the metal, as they say, and open up the car and drive it as fast as we could when we could. So it was a it was it was an experience where by the time the thing was over, I'll be perfectly honest with you, I don't remember Teddy in the studio at all. He must have been there. But if he was, and I apologized ted but I don't remember seeing him there.
Speaker 1: Okay, So that album comes out that also is unknown. When I first came to Little Feet, a track was included in one of the two disc sampler albums that Warner put out, and there was amazing buzz on the third album, Dixie Chicken, which I then bought. So tell me the transition from Sale and Choose to Dixie Chicken.
Speaker 2: The man transition between those two albums, Sales Choose and Dixie Chicken was losing Roy Strada on bass. We had played at Cincinnati at a gig with Captain Beefheart, and the sound sister broke down and Lowell was told it could take fifteen minutes to fix it or an hour and a half. We don't know what he says. I'm gonna go ice skating. I go ice skating. Well, I better go with him, so I did. I'm watching you do all the loops and stuff. I said, we got to get back to the gig. Loll come on, so jumping a cab. Well, I don't know who the gig is, and there it is, throw the money at him, running into the hall and they are lined up. I don't know the Don van Vliet, Captain Beefhart was lined up, but virtually everybody else was. Artie Tripp was the drummer. He had family in town. They'd fixed it fifteen minutes after we left, and we're going for over an hour. Y Rostrada was also in that line, and he basically told us to jump in jumping a lake. And by that time we went really okay, we will best of luck to you too, and we we were actually very pleased to get rid of him. Is He threatened to leave us at every juncture he could, and we'd have to talk him back into it and this and that. So I don't think Lowell did that to make anybody angry. It was just the way Lowell was. If Loul wanted to do something here to do it. But that opened the doors to Kenny Gradny was the first one to walk through the open door of the two guys that would come in from De Lady and Bonnie that's coming to the base in Congress. Paul Barrera was brought in earlier because Richie and I felt like Lowell needed some help on the guitar because he's trying to do too much. He needed something to help rhythmically, not literally help, but so he could play. He was just starting an experiment with slide guitar and we thought, well, he can play rhythm and slide, but boy, wouldn't be nice to have some cushion for him to react to Paul and his brothers they all went to Hollywood High with each other, so they knew each other. Ah. So that was a transition and a major one for us. It also gave another partner to write with as well. But having Kenny Grandy step in from Delany and Bonnie. Rick Harper knew the guys, what was it a studio instrument metals, Canon Barry there down there and they brought Kenny and he said he just just got out of Delaney and Bonnie. We had a game coming up in uh Hawaii at the Creator Festival. He says, I want to bring my partner in and his partner with Sam play. This was the sure. So we all go to Hawaii playing Creative Festival, Greater Festival for forty thousand people. Uh it was. It was a dream come true. And so Sam Clayton right then and there was like, yeah, I love the band and he was in. So that's that's how that transition took place. But also introduced which we had We had been familiar with New Orleans music before either of those guys got in the band. I mean I I came down to uh uh just see Lord sixty nine, knowing fully well who Professor long Hair was, what his influence would might be at some point. Uh and also uh Clifton Shinier and the stuff that he was doing so wide open was was the word. So when we got those two guys they knew about New Orleans music, that was just a handshake and a slap on the ass and we're we're off and running.
Speaker 1: Okay, Dixie Chicken comes out. The title track is now iconic, and it took me a few plays to get into it. Actually, I first started with Juliet and then Lafe Att Railroad and then kind of worked my way backward. What was going on inside? Did you feel like you were finally getting some momentum or same as it ever was?
Speaker 2: I felt we were getting momentum. That's a great questions. Oh I've been Yeah, we were getting momentum, and there wasn't any of the acts before. We're trying new things. I tried playing synthesizer for the first time on Fatman at the basketeb which I believe was also on that record. I tried a melotron or some additional answer which had drunken Mexican trumpets, which they wouldn't call them these days, but there they were on the That's what the sound was called. So I came with Bup. It was about East La. It was there was just a lot of inventiveness going on with those songs and how we were going to play them and attack them, and that openness I think on that record in particular, transformed in a nice handshake to that album. The interesting thing though, was it sold a few more copies because of the notoriety of the record, But some of the reviews, while glowing before on the first two albums, every song sounds the same that kind of thing. So in other words, when you put your head up where you're visible above ground, that's when people start taking shots at you, which is another thing I learned, and I went, Oh, I thought we were the darlings of the press. Hardly, but in general we were, and we were certainly well thought of in Europe and in England in particular. So a lot of doors were even at that time unbeknownst to us, but they were starting to slowly open, which would vote well for the future, except that we were a band, and like a lot of bands, and the just preperency between our personalities didn't let itself to always shaking hands with one another.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the album after that is the breakthrough because it has your song with Lianta. However, being honest, I'm not quite as enamored of that as I am of Dixie Chicken. But it does have the original version of Spanish Moon too, which is iconic in the double live album which comes out in seventy eight. So tell me about the experience of feats Don't Fail.
Speaker 2: Me Now, Peace Don't Failed Me Now followed a breakup of the band. There are a couple of iterations on how to try to get the band back together. Water was putting Low and myself into what Warner thought of as a supergroup with John Sebastian and I believe was Phil Everley, so one of the Everly Brothers, which we had a meeting about it at Mussa Frank's restaurant. I met Fay Ray that evening, who flirted with each and every one of us. I reminded John Sebastian of that a few years ago. He goes, I don't remember that. I said, well, yep, she was there, not at our meeting, but at the at the main bar. As you walk in through the through the doors, particularly come through the back door. There's two entrances into the dining room. One is you take take a right, the other one you take a left, and that's where they film most things for movies, is when you turn left and were the formal part of the dining room. Uh. Phil's wife said, you're not going to do it, it's ridiculous, and we did so. Then Bob Gavala stepped in. He says, there's a guy, Steve Boone from the Love and Spoonful, which is the band that John Sebastian he's got a studio in Baltimore, Maryland. Mike, we take a shot at recording there. You'll you'll live back there. You'll have free access to this studio, do anything you want. I bought a lot of great things happened that I met Robert Palmer, I met uh through Emmy Lou Harris, my first wife, fran fran Tate. George Masterberg came in from Barclay Studios in Paris to work with us, So we knew each other or met each other at that time. And then uh our George Lowell's daughter was born at that time. So a lot of great things were taking place for us, and it really felt like a reunion of of of of good magnitude and and UH we were able to pour a lot of good energy into it, and we've recorded several different records. We also became quite famous in Washington as a result of living back there. So there was a perfect storm of good things happening for us.
Speaker 1: Tell me about the being breaking up before.
Speaker 2: That, I think what was going on it was it was this was primarily financial in regard. We just couldn't We're having a tough time making ends meet. It created attention what you would do in any kind of marriage, and I'm certainly being in a band as a form of marriage. And Bob Cavallo came to one of our band, like the night before we go on tour. He came in. He was like laughing and kind of you know, jovial about a few things, and he said, I got I got some news for you. We just canceled the tour. We don't have enough money to get out there and do this, and we're like kind of stune. And I walked up to him, I said, well, why we why we like? Why we laughing when you came in? He says. I was so upset about it. I didn't know what else to do. I said, God, look, you know a real human response, and I went, you know what, I completely get it. I always thought Bob was a wonderful, wonderful guy on that level. I trusted him. I said, okay, fine, Well, but the decision was made to try the superman. It was also what was else which they wouldn't have helped Richie or Kenny or Sam or anybody, at least not initially. But then Lowell also there was another thing that he did that I Beleeve proceeded going back to work in Maryland and record there, and that was a Robert Palmer record, sneaking Sally through the alley, and a lot of people thought it was us. It was the Meters, we're playing it. Or if you're going to get confused with a band, you can choose a lot worse bands than the Meters to get confused with. So uh and by the way, we got to sit in with those guys, you know, the Neville Brothers, et cetera. Uh, there's there's a there's. I had one guy at one point was going, well, what are you playing? He didn't say it to me directly, came in through another person. What are you doing playing New Orleans music? You're not from there? I said, Well, tell your friend that I played Mozart. I'm not from vienn Austria. I'm not from Germany. I play Bach and Beethoven. Is that okay with him? Oh? And my parents were married and you were also maybe through osmosis, I got some of the the juju. I don't know. You tell me there against that competitive thing. You know. I'm not a purist when it comes to music. I I uh, and I adore some people that are. Don Grolnik was a purist, played piano with with James Tader with Lynn Ron's stat beautiful jazz guy. You and I discussed this a few times. His approach was, if this is the way Bill Evans did it, then I'm gonna play it like that. You know that that kind of thing. Don had the chops. Excuse me to play it any way he wanted. I said, I don't bastardize it on purpose, Don, I just what I'm doing is I'm taken segments of things and appropriating it to music and to my writing and to my sense of what ought to be there, not as a an affront to anything.
Speaker 1: Okay. So then we have the Last Record album, which for me is a return to form, and you're you're writing more on that album. So what's going on there?
Speaker 2: Well, well, I had a pretty substantial battle. We're going into make No the last record. Excuse me, I'm dyving my head a little too too early. Uh. That that album was made in Hollywood, which is why we have that Hollywood drawing a Neon Park so beautifully hated. It was not one of my favorite records, although it had some great songs on it, but I just felt it was very stiff, uh, disjointed even, and that could have been just for me. You know. Perspective is a lot that rolls into us. We've we've been accused through the years, and I think rightfully so that our records aren't as good as the way we play live. And I think just you know, it's subjective, but for me, I think there's some truth in that. This is one of those albums that I thought was h let me just put it this way. We want the German Album of the Year of the Year award. And when I heard that we'd want I won that award. A couple of people in the band, I said, I told you it was Germanic and stiff, and that's that's the result of all that, and they went, there you go. So it was one of those I mean, it's it's it's silly to say it, but it was. It's kind of the way I felt about that album. And I don't I rarely listened to our records. I do on occasion, uh, and I actually sound pretty good. I gotta I gotta admit.
Speaker 1: Okay. So the next album, Time Loves a Hero, I bought it. It seemed like something completely different, and Lowell was barely on it saw that tour. What was going on there Lowell was Uh.
Speaker 2: I think that the tailspin Lowell was going through was healthy health wise. Uh he we not he we We made it difficult to work with one another. In general, he would be there, he wouldn't be there. I kind of like what Jerry Garcia doing with The Grateful Dead. He would disappear at times, and then when he shop you, oh yeah, hey Loel, Hey Jerry, welcome back. You know that kind of thing. But we had a very real proposition of not being able to make an album with him or without him. And Paul and I got together and I thought, look, I don't know what to do here, but we had to go. Let's let's talk to Ted teentleman about doing a recordless playing the songs we have. See if he'll do a record with Lowell in there. But maybe Lowell is not as present as he should be. Let's let Lowell figure out who he is. I know he wants to do a solo record. Let's let him sort some of that out. See if he's amenable to letting us take more of a stand in this. And that's what we did.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then Lowell ultimately does make a solo album which comes out two years leader and was the band really together at that point?
Speaker 2: It was? Paul and I took a lot of flak for having taken over the band from people on the outside, and I later when it when I was able to articulate it in this fashion, I said, look, let me explain something to you. Tell me if you think I'm a right or wrong or I'm just whatever you think, here are the facts. We didn't. It was fine that Lowell made a solo record, but if we were keeping Lowell from writing music for Little Feet, why did why are there hey, why are there so few Lowell George's songs on his solo record? And why did it take in five years to make it? So, I said, that's a good question to ask yourself. He was in a tailspin of his own making not ours. This is what I was getting at, and it didn't to me, It didn't ever detegrate his talent. Uh Uh. I thought Richie Hayward and Prop and Paul BarreR were probably going to be the first guys to uh, you know, leave this world. That's the right they were. They were gone. Uh So discuss the show. Were you know, we don't know what's going to happen.
Speaker 1: Tell me a little bit more about where Lowell was at this tailspin. Was purely drugs or what was going on.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of it was was was uh lifestyle, but it was also just trying to figure out uh I think he was he was battling some health issues. He was overweighted obviously, and uh so that so that was coming into play a little bit. It had to be. He had trouble maintaining his his vocals out on the road. We had to play a couple of shows with with him there, but he couldn't sing. Uh, that's that's just you know, that's just losing your voice, that kind of thing. But I think things were, you know, because I wasn't inside his head. I just thought that that he was he was disturbed by a lot of what he was going through internally, and that these things because the pressure of being thought of as a leader of the group, and even with a guy like myself that took over the reins from time to time, like when we did the record of the TV show uh bit I Special. Bob was the guy that produced that show. Anyway, the producer of that show got touched with me. He said, did you would you put a list of people together for us to do the show with? I said, but why don't you have loll to it? He says, because you want to make sure it gets done. Uh airlic I think air one anyway, Bob Airlock? Uh so, ken Airlinck you mean can't yeah, ken Ic excuse me, there's a kN airlic So I brought into the weather report. I brought in you know, the Bonnie whomever was on stage with us take let Larson and uh emmy little Harris might have been there too, I can't remember, but yeah, there there there was an increasingly more of of that where Lode was burying, kind of what Jerry Garcia was going through, where a lot of the emphasis was from the press was on both Law with Little Feet Jerry with with the Grateful Dead. But neither one of them really wanted the mantle of being a leader. They didn't want the pressure of it. They they wanted to be the artists play compose. Give him room for that, not like the king that sits there every day and has to go through. Should I do my launch to be with this kind of detergent You're you're your worship or this. I mean, it was just no, I want to be left alone. I want to do what I do. Play some of your songs, just do some of mine. It just was just convoluted, and the side of the times was the drug thing hovering out there, which was never that far away from from what we were all going through or what's up we're going through. I should say I'd give it up on it a few years before. Uh. It made it harder, harder to uh, to deal with one another, to deal with life. Plus we're young guys.
Speaker 1: So so Lowell is on the road promoting his solo album, He Dies. Was that a shock to you or did you expect it? Or did you figure if it wasn't going to be this, it was going to be something else.
Speaker 2: I thought it was. It was a shock to me, and then in the U in my ability to come to grips with it, it's like when you're in a car accident or getting close to a car accident. And at least for me, the few times I've been close to something like that, my mind is like kind of clear, it doesn't like fog up. I'm like, I've got this way to do this. Or this way to do it. I'm going to do one or two and make a decision to do it later. It hit you like a ton of breakfast to what actually happened. So what hit me initially was a shock of his death, but I'd rather quickly elevated to does he have insurance for his family? I don't think he did, So I said, we're going to put a concert on at the Forum, which we did, and we raised money for his family, and we tried to put and we did put Lawell in good light, because that's what we should have done. I think the story of loll George is one that not unlike Beatnick poetry if you just talk about his death and whatever cost is, because there's a lot of stories surrounding that too. But I kind of look at it like Beatnick poetry. You throw Jimmy Hendrick's name into the hat, along with Jim Morrison, Garcia, Brian Jones, Janis Joplin, do you name him? And John Beluci. They all have very similar avenues in which they went out, and there's discrepancies too on how they died. The fact is it was a culture and an overload system that brought him to that early demise in their hearts were the things that gave out. So I don't and what I'm writing, what I'm talking about now, my focus is more on Yeah, we'll passed away. He left this legacy with us. We're intertwined with one another. I was quoted and People Magazine is saying greater People Magazine, not the you know, foreign press as saying that without Lowl, Georgia would not be Little Feet. And it was reminded of that when we put out Let It Roll, And I said, you know, I did say that, and that's the way I felt at that time, and I morphed and gravitated to a different way of thinking about it, which, ironically enough, was more to the way low and I thought about the band when we put it together in nineteen sixty nine, which it should be an open vessel as to who's in it and when, what material should be included and how? And does it sound like Little Feet at the end of the day, if we play Happy Birthday, does it still sound like Little Feet? You know? But if we write a great song, does it sound like Little Feet? I think the answer was debatable for a lot of people. Some ardis and said without Lowell. It's not Little Feet without Richie, it's not Little Feet without Paul Breer, it's not Little Feet and a lot of other people, and I mean a lot more go. You know what just ties me to something that reminds me of what was great about you guys, and guess what it still is. Because you can't walk up on that stage, Bob and play in full people. You either have them by the throat and they come along with you or you're sitting there going we aren't what we thought we were, which brings you back to the very first album with Little Feet, thinking we were going to be the Beatles.
Speaker 1: Okay, So in these ensuing decades where you've continued with Little feed Little Feeds, membership has morphed, you've worked with all these other artists. Has there been any plane or you're just bumping into stuff? How did this all play out?
Speaker 2: Well? There is a there is a sense of jumping from log to log just in terms of, hey, what am I gonna do? Well? Little Feet's not there. Oh, I'm gonna play with Linnerasset for for a year, a year and a half, for a year or less. I'm playing with James Taylor. That goes on for six years. Now, I'm playing with Bob Seeger. Then I say I want to put Little Feet back together, which puts not at wrong. That's life in general. You know, we we we can only plan so far the best plans of men et cetera. But but having the ability, I mean at the age I am now of. I mean, honestly, if I didn't or couldn't play with Little Feet anymore, I think I would probably enjoy it that much. But could I do it? Yeah, I mean, I'm not financially hanging onto a thread necessarily, but it's I love playing music as much more than I ever have in life, and I don't want to mislabel something that that isn't something. But as I said, when you walk out on stage, uh and you look into people's eyes out there and judge from the looks on their faces as to whether you're connecting with them. Little Feet is one of those bands that people either go who or they go oh my god, the the little feet that kind of that's special to them they have. They don't care. They're like the grateful dead on you is if if Jerry Garcia looks sideways at Bobby Ware or Vice versa. They were the first to bring it up right, Uh, within little feet. It's the same way, if not, everybody that we've we've played our music for has liked the iteration of the band that we have. But the group is it stands with Tony Leoni, with Scott Gerard, Fred Tackett, Sam Clayton, Kenny Grady, myself. They are like doing handstands over this group, and so are we. I think let's let's you know that. I mentioned John Coltrane earlier, the last iteration of the band he had, and he played with some great people over the years. He felt like, you know, this group, it's not a matter whether it's the best one I've ever worked with, but it certainly holds with the best that I've worked with. That's the way I feel about this band. Is it better than with Lowell and at his height of powers and whatnot, Well, certain respects, it's not better, but it's just as good. It doesn't have low You can't replace Lowell. Maybe with AI we can, and they will. I don't know, they'll They'll have to cross that bridge when they come to it. But for right now, if live music is such and recording as such, and you're gonna write a song. Those songs come from the heart. They come from a place that AI doesn't possess. It has an intellect, which is it's not a bad thing to have sometimes, but it's not everything. You have to have heart and an acumen to know when to play, when to lay out, when to say, you know what. Maybe that acoustic piano is not to write instruments for this, I'm gonna play a wordlesser. I'm gonna just lay out of this section I'm gonna have. I'm gonna ask Linda Ronstadt to sing softer on this duet she's doing with the Craig Fuller on the song that the Laker Organization tapped as a song as a goodbye song to Kareem Abdul Jabbar voices on the wind. I defy a I to come up with any of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm certainly with young. Now let me just a little clean up work. You talked about the finances, So how has it been financially.
Speaker 2: We started from ground zero about a year and a half, almost two years ago, and it took some doing to UH to build the coffers up to where we could actually begin to breathe a little easier.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: That's from good management. It's from good planning. Uh, it's from from us doing what we're supposed to do when we when we hit the stage, which is just deliver. Uh the old adage as you well now it's you're all as good as you were last week, right, or how you were thought of last week. So Uh, some people cannot handle that pressure. I welcome it, you know.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: We marched on stage with Letter Roll in South London with Bonnie Raid and man, woman and child that we're in that audience, Bob. We were about six feet up looking out over them. Their arms were crossed across the chest looking at us in a defiant mode of prove it, and as a war on the hands dropped it their sides. By the end of the set, their hands were in the air and they were like that for twenty five minutes after we left the stage. That's what I want. I'm there to prove that what we're doing. What I do when every time I walk into to play music with somebody or to hold a conversation with somebody, I've lived it. I've lived a life. I'm still living it and hopefully I'll know when to relinquish center fields. If I've dropped fly balls like Willie Mays was in center field, maybe I'll call it. Then. Right now I'm catching everything has hit to me, so I'm gonna keep playing, but just.
Speaker 1: Drooling down on the money for a little bit. Second, you were in a bend, had multiple members forgetting today throughout your career. I mean, I'll be very specific. You end up playing with Leftover seam And, which hadn't deal with Hollywood Records, but really is more of an indie jam band, more of a localized Colorado scene. Are you taking those gigs because you say, hey, I like them, or you say, listen, I need to work, I need to pay the bills.
Speaker 2: I start, what do I like who I'm working with? And at one point I had to say to them, to the Leftover Salmon, I got an offer from the Davy Brothers, which came about in a securest way, but I pressed the issue and I'm going to do it very well financed with us, guys I've done for a long time, and I'm not going to be able to play music with you any longer. And I'd always upsetting it to them at first, and I said, remember I was the old man in the sea for a long time with you guys, I'm not with them, and I don't feel like I played any worse or less than I played with anybody. I come in as a team player. I come in as a I don't have to be in the band in order to play as if I'm in the band. So that's that's my attitude. I've turned down. I've turned down Madi. I was offered a chance to the the to write the theme song for a Cops and for Baywatch. I turned them both down. My agent about hit the wall. He said, are you out of your mind? I said, yeah, I guess I am. Well, you call yourself something different, I said, I would still know it was me. I've worked around enough. I mean, you know, that's what musicians are from time to time for prostitutes. But you choose who you want to lay with, and I don't want to lay with this, okay.
Speaker 1: Are there any royalties of significance from the Little Feet era and from the songs you've written?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we did pretty well. The eraror that we live in now, as you know as well as anybody the the streaming, it's an outrage, it's it's it's that right. I don't think much of what is going on within the rule of so called rule of law these days, or what what masquerades is law is right on any level, personal or otherwise, as to what to do about it. Again, like most things in life, you can choose your battles. If it's something you think you can can now to a campaign and make it work us, then more power to you. Generally speaking, these things that do not people with power and wealth do not relinquish it easily and are not about to do so with the streaming services. But we'll see where it goes.
Speaker 1: And you're going on the road now and you're playing complete albums. Concurrent with that, you're releasing repackaged versions of the second and third album Sailing Juice and Dixie Chicken with additional stuff. Tell me about the decisions to do that.
Speaker 2: Our management came in. They thought with the notion of doing Waiting for Columbus, which we did UH, that it would be good of UH Wars had a desire to possibly re release a couple of records maybe more, And I had just played with the dav Brothers on a couple of UH. I think we played in New York at the what a big theater New York is the Reacon big a theater? Uh? We played a couple of there. I know that Steely Dan you know Don Don's done it. I thought, yeah, I like the idea of it. And then what we will do that's maybe a little different than at least what the Doomie Brothers did to a degree. If we're playing Juliet, maybe we'll lengthen it a little bit. You know, we nothing's written in stone with us. We can We're not going to disguise a song like maybe Bob Dylan would. We'll make it where they know that it's Juliet if they're familiar with the team like you were, Uh, and play it. But but I want to have the ability to mess around with tempo's a little bit from time to time. Let's let's see what the arrangement is.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Do I play it? Uh? Piano with strings? Do I play it just rose? Do we have a a man delendas opposed to a guitar playing some parts to it? Leave in our improvisational style, intact to play the album but not replicated. And it's a you know, as the Eagles have done. You go to an Eagles concert. I've been to one, I guess, and they'll play the record. By God, it sounds like the record. That's the style. I don't knock it at all. It's it's not our style.
Speaker 1: And why do you live in Montana?
Speaker 2: I live here because of the beauty of it, the solitude, the fact that he gets fifty below zero during the winter. He keeps the riff raff out, he keeps the riff raff in. It's It's just one of those places where because I travel all the time, I wanted to come back to someplace that felt like, you know, where people aren't you know, I'm just another guy up here. I mean, people know who I am. It's not that the the it's I'm not I'm not afraid of celebrity. I'm not Loel George. I'm not you know, I'm not a celebrity. But I kind of am in a certain sense, and become more so as people know more about me. But what they quickly learn about me is, look, I'm still the same guy gets beat up on the playground like everybody else. I just happen to have a talent to play piano, and I've utilized it in a pretty grand fashion throughout my career to do just that so I can be the I told somebody on TV Ruters tour, they're driving a bus. Andy, Yeah, but you're a rock star. I said, well, if you want to think of me as a rock star, go ahead. What I am in fact as a musician, and I hold that to be I played with a lot of rock stars. I met a bunch and I admire you know, I admire those people. Have I one of them. If you want to think of me as one, go ahead, I don't really think I am.
Speaker 1: And on that note, I think we're going to stop it for now.
Speaker 2: Bill.
Speaker 1: I want to thank you so much for taking the time with my audience, very thoughtful responses. You never really know until you talk to somebody who they are, but you're obviously a thinker.
Speaker 2: So thanks again a pleasure, Bove, and I've enjoyed breathing your work over the years. I haven't always agreed with it, but I got to say that for the same thing. You know, you get them as you see them, and I think there's you obviously are a thinking person as well. I respect that in people that can actually think. It gives them the latitude and the respect to do so. So I have a lot of respect for you, and I actually have to agree with you a lot a lot of things you write about as well.
Speaker 1: Right, I wouldn't expect you to agree with everything, but you know, in a world where everybody just makes it about the dollar, and I'm not saying the dollar is not important, you know, it's the the number of what's around the dollar, I'm thinking about it. And the way you describe music that you know it was certainly very insightful and not what you get from the average person. You certainly said things you don't normally hear and I think will be helpful for musician's I hope.
Speaker 2: So again, thanks for the thanks for the conversation. Honestly, it's a pleasure talking to you and me with you.
Speaker 1: Until next time. This is Bob left six