Speaker 1: Cool Zone Media.
Speaker 2: Hey everybody, Robert Evans here and I wanted to let you know this is a compilation episode. So every episode of the week that just happened is here in one convenient and with somewhat less ads package for you to listen to in a long stretch if you want. If you've been listening to the episodes every day this week, there's going to be nothing new here for you, but you can make your own decisions.
Speaker 3: Welcome to it could happen here a podcast about things falling apart and how to put it back together again. This is an episode where both happen at the same time. I'm your host, Bia Wong, and we are returning to what I've realized was I think one of the earliest things we ever covered on this show in the sort of misty depths of time, which is I guess three years ago now. We talked to some organizers and tenants from the Hillside Villa Tenant Association, and a bunch of stuffice happened since then. A lot of it is terrible, some of it is cool. Well, the stuff, the stuff you've been doing is cool. The stuff everyone else in the situation has been doing is terrible. Yeah, and with me to talk about this is Janice you who's an organizer from CCUD and on a e tenant organizer at Hillside Villa or via Jesus Christ. Why am I doing Villa? Oh, I know I know more Spanish than this. I know it of Spanish. When people think that I'm Spanish to start talking to me on the street, I can kind of communicate with them. Abject failure. Yeah, welcome both to the show.
Speaker 4: Thank you, thank you. It's both good and bad to be back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wish, I wish circumstances were better.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thank you for having us, and yeah for staying in contact with us and trying to stay updated with our Hillside Villa. Danna said, Unfortunately, five almost six years in and we're still trying to find a solution to this epidemic of housing in Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so let's start there. For people who don't remember this from many, many eons in the past, can you sort of remind people of what kind of organizing has been happening and the general situation of this building, of these landlords, and of the conditions of people who have to rent stuff in La Yeah, I.
Speaker 6: Can kind of start with the bigger picture context and then an I definitely fill in.
Speaker 4: From your personal experience.
Speaker 6: But basically, hills Ibea is a building that was built in the eighties in Los Angeles, Chinatown and it was meant to be affordable housing. It had an affordable housing covenant for thirty years up until twenty eighteen, and as soon as that expired, as would be expected, the landlord, Tom Botts, immediately tried to raise rent to market rate, which for the low income, working class tenants that work at Hillside Villa, it was a two hundred percent increase, right yeah, which is a de facto eviction, Like folks who were paying eight hundred dollars in rent were now being asked to pay twenty five hundred, which is literally impossible for some tenants who are on fixed incomes. And so it was a huge issue for one of the largest buildings in La Chinatown. It has one hundred and twenty four units, multi ethnic, multi generational, and so as soon as that happened, I think one of the tenants, DONIEA Luisa, who is no longer with us, called the news channels and organizers got involved, and yeah, this was six years ago. At this point, and pretty early on in the fight, I think at the time, we were working with the District one council member at the time, Gil Cidillo, who's, you know, an establishment democrat, and he had tried to negotiate a deal with Tom Bops, the landlord, for a ten year extension that ended up falling through because Bots renegged on it, and that was I think one of the first moments where tenants realized, we cannot trust these politicians to liberate us right to actually solve the root issues, and so that's when tenants started actually demanding to use eminent domain, which is the government's power to basically seize land for public use, to actually use that power for affordable housing, and to use it as a long term solution for all of these expiring covenants, which is a city wide issue. It's not just a Chinatown thing. There's actually like thousands of buildings where covenants are set to expire in the next few years. So that was how this fight was going, and we had actually successfully pressured our city council in twenty twenty one in May, which was I think the first time we came on the show, to set aside the funding to actually do that and to actually, you know, take bold action or housing and yeah, I'll pass it over to ANII to just share from your own experience.
Speaker 7: Thanks. I don't know how I could follow that, but I'll try my best.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So, like Jennis was sharing, the convenant expired in twenty eighteen, there was already an attempt to evict my family, as I shared in the previous episode.
Speaker 7: So after that is when we all started organizing.
Speaker 5: And then shortly after the pandemic happened and everything shut down. During this time, the landlord Tombot like wasn't stopping. He was going full throttle into his mission of completely evicting and displacing all all the families living here in Chinatown, the multi generational families that have been in Los Angeles, not known nowhere else.
Speaker 7: You know this this is our home. Los Angeles is our home.
Speaker 5: So with this eviction, it meant that we'd have to first be houseless, be out on the street, and be forced to like figure something out last minute for ourselves and moved somewhere in the outskirts of Los Angeles to a place where we're not familiar with. So these are some of the things that we were facing then during the pandemic and also facing a continued rental increases which were illegal during the pandemic and is something that we've been dealing post pandemic and recently in a lot of our more current meetings. Who is like bringing that to light that these were illegal rental increases that had happened and that he actually asked the city to pay right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So we had applied to e REP, which is basically a rental relief program to support tenants, and what Bots did was he asked the government to pay him the increased rent rates, the two hundred percent increased rates, and the government fucking gave it to him.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And yet he is still demanding that tenants themselves pay back their rent debt fully. And what happened with the recent deal that was made behind tenants back, which is what we're going to get into, is that the government basically took the extra money back and are not applying it to the tenants rent debt. So that's something that we're pretty pissed off about because basically they took money that was supposed to be for tenants and just gave it back to the city government, which also doesn't even make sense because it was federal funding. So that's kind of one of the issues.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we have a situation where the landlord has stolen this money and then the city has now stolen it from him, which they have stolen federal money for themselves. Oh Jesus Christ literally literally oh God.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's all just like state sanctioned theft.
Speaker 3: You know what else is a structural problem that is causing the massive miseration of most of the population on Earth. It is the products and services that support this podcast, and we're going to go to them briefly.
Speaker 8: We are back.
Speaker 3: So is there anything else from sort of I guess like the background era of this that we want to get to before we move into like what's been happening now.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I think maybe some additional context we can share is that after that made twenty twenty one council meeting, we ended up really supporting our current council member, a Nieces in her campaign to get elected. This was November of twenty twenty one. We hosted large forums in Chinatown. We really mobilized our base in CCD to turn out to vote for her. And I think a powerful anecdote is that Richard One of the longest Vietnamese tenants at hellsid Via, he's been there for over thirty years. For him, this was the first vote that he ever cast in this country. And I think that, you know, it's not a unique story. I think for a lot of our elders, it was only because of our efforts that they participated in this election. So I think a lot of the statistics show that the Asian base, the Chinatown base, was really essential to getting a Nieces elected. And in twenty twenty two, she officially got an off. She was able to beat the incumbent Gil Cidio and was the first.
Speaker 4: Quote unquote abolitionist.
Speaker 6: DSA, so Democratic Socialists of America kind of sponsored candidate to win an LAC council. And since then we've only seen her maybe two or three times. Sorry, And I to address the issues at Hill said Via. Even though during her campaign phase she rhetorically supported our eminent domain struggle, she made a lot of promises as politicians.
Speaker 4: Do, around housing in Chinatown.
Speaker 6: And yeah, I think that kind of brings us up to where we are now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so let's get into what is currently happening, because dear God, it's really I don't know, things somehow getting worse. What's been happening in the last I guess immediate period.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so wow, so much has happened, and it's really hard to actually like keep track of all of the big things, whether positive mostly negative things happening. Just so much has happened over the last three years. We've been in the fight for six years. So as we were mentioning in twenty twenty one, there was a vote that happened at City Hall where there'd be an evaluation of the building in order for the city to purchase a hillside villa or last resort would be expropriate through eminent domain, although that was never something that the people in power at LAHD or that politicians really did behind and like always wanted to try something a little less radical, therefore going into negotiations, working with the landlord and having these conversations with the landlord, with LAHD, with us somewhat in the picture but mostly not in the picture. And that was done on purpose on behalf of LAHD and Tombots and the politicians at CD one. So because we were waiting for this evaluation to happen at Hillside Villa, I believe LAHD needed to do that evaluation. Well, the landlord Tombots didn't allow them to come into the building to do that evaluation because it was private property and they needed some kind of core order like permit or paperwork to allow the city LAHD to come into the building to evaluate. That actually halted the process of evaluating in order to purchase the building and actually had tenants waiting for this evaluation to happen for months, if not over a year. And you can imagine how tenants felt like if they were like suffocating under these circumstances of waiting for the city to act, for Tom Botts to allow and there was always this resistance with the landlord and with getting LAHD to get up off their ass and actually do something. Unfortunately, the chair of LAHD, her name is Anne Seul. I'm sure a lot of people have heard her name by now. She is not our friend. She's wicked in like in not a cool way. She's actually as like some conflict of interest in my opinion that shouldn't allow her to even be in that position that she's in and to have such power over a case like ours at Hillside Villa, where she was going into negotiations with tombots, and she's also a landlord and a white woman.
Speaker 7: Oh Jesus Christ, so it's a double lammy there.
Speaker 5: And yeah, she became really buddy buddy friendly with tombots and that is when negotiations began between her and tombots behind the lucha, the fight for housing, behind the organizers backs, behind communities back, and so we rallied, we protested, we did phone banks for over a year, and things were so stagnant, Like I can't even ex expressed to you how that at least that one year was. And that's part of like, since the last time we were here on this podcast was three years ago, well a year or more of that was us just waiting around for the city to actually do their job. And we can't get them to do their job, but we can protest and we can do direct action. And so we did, and we pulled up to Ansel's house, not once, not twice. We rallied the housing community to go protest at her home and to make her uncomfortable because at any moment, any of us can get kicked out of our home. You know, there's no sense of security here and we're never there to cause harm, you know, to anyone, no physical harm or anything. But we're there to also like kind of get her to understand how uncomfortable it is and how like safe she is in her own home. Right, so she called cops on us, She targeted organizers by name. It was really sloppy on their end. And yeah, so I think i'll stop there in Janice. If you want to kind of add anything, I'm sure you have a lot to add.
Speaker 4: No, Yeah, that was a really borough summary.
Speaker 6: I think all I want to add is that while Box was denying the city access to the building, which we you know, questioned deeply because why couldn't a tenant just give them access to the building. Why do they need special permission from the landlord.
Speaker 4: It's all just.
Speaker 6: Smoke and mirrors, right, delay tactics put on by this trifecta of LHD, which is the LA Housing Department, So the bureaucrats and then CD one City Council District one, the politicians and then bots. They're all completely aligned with each other in their end goal of essentially protecting capital, protecting landlords.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 6: So as he was doing that, he initiated the eviction process. He started evicting tenants the you know, thirty five plus families that are deeply involved in the Tenants Association. He sent eviction papers to all of them, so and Ia, maybe you can speak to a little bit of like what that experience was like to get those papers while the eminent domain process wasn't moving forward like it was supposed to.
Speaker 5: Definitely, well, speaking on behalf of like my mom, who I live here with and.
Speaker 7: Who's lived here for over twelve.
Speaker 5: Years, and speaking on behalf of other tenants, a lot of them are elders over fifty years old, have lived here for over twenty thirty years. They definitely I felt the burden of those eviction papers and the anxiety, the heavy emotions that comes with being at fear of losing your home at any moment, the health issues that come up with that. So they definitely felt a lot of that. And as much as much as we've been fighting, as much support as we have from the community, like they still felt that insecurity of their housing. For me, as someone in their twenties and where we've been in this fight for over six years or about six years, I felt like we've gone through the eviction process and I don't fear tombots, and I don't fear his tactics or his eviction papers. So there's definitely a difference in the way that like a lot of our elders feel. But I do have a lot of trust in the organizing that we're doing the solidarity. All though things haven't necessarily been all like happy and like we're still not really getting the things that we've been demanding for, I have a lot of trust that we're going to be able to win those evictions.
Speaker 7: And we know how weak.
Speaker 5: Tom Botts is his way of thinking, and how weak their lawyers are, So we must keep pushing. There's no other way, and we will until this is over.
Speaker 7: If it is ever.
Speaker 3: Over, unfortunately we need to go to ads. Then we will come back with not ads and instead more incredibly beautiful stories of struggle. We are back. I guess I promised struggle and I didn't. I should have added and also betrayal because it's kind of the.
Speaker 8: Next part of this.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, let's talk about that and the deals that are being cut.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So at the beginning of this year, we learned that a deal had been negotiated between LHD and bought completely behind tenants backs, and we had frustrating meetings with a niece's our council member where she was not willing to take a public stance, you know, against these backdoor negotiations. And so in April of this year, about four months ago, there was another motion that was heard in La City Council when the kind of details of this deal were actually revealed.
Speaker 4: And they are just obscene.
Speaker 6: Basically, Tom Bots is being paid fifteen million dollars by the LA government and having a five million dollar loan that he has owed the city for I think the thirty years since Lasimba was first bill. He's having that loan forgiven with zero percent interest, and all of that is just to extend the affordability covenant for a mere ten years, which might sound like a lot to some folks, but in reality is not a lot at all. It just means that the children who are in middle school now will be in college and have to fight this fight another time. Right, And so that happened for Bots, great for him. Whereas tenants are being asked to pay back over one point five million dollars collectively of back rent with three percent annual interest added on, and yeah, they're eviction cases were not being dropped. They were promised to get their eviction case dropped, but what happened was that this month one of our key tenant leaders, Adela, her case was moved forward in the courts by bots.
Speaker 4: And we believe it was basically like.
Speaker 6: A test case to basically pressure tenants to sign the new contracts, you know, threatening if you don't sign, this is what's going to happen to you too. And she is supposed to have a court date in September or October, So the timing is very obvious right time this so that tenants would sign these new contracts that we were told would come out last week, it ended up being that they didn't come out till.
Speaker 4: A little bit later.
Speaker 6: And when we actually received the details of the new lease, we were even further taken aback because some of the details of this lease are just really wild. You know, it's a complete regression from any kind of tenant law or tenant protection against harassment. Some of the things that this new lease includes is that there are behavioral stipulations is what they're being called. Yeah, just that term itself, right is so cursed. But the stipulation say that if a tenant merely plays amplified sound in any of the public communal spaces of the building or records slash slanders slash harasses the landlord or management. They can be immediately evicted without a jury trial.
Speaker 3: Jesus like that.
Speaker 4: Is insane.
Speaker 6: You know, these are clearly anti organizing policies because these are some of our tools are to amplify sound and to and it's our right to be able to record landlorder management when they are usually the ones harassing us. They are always the ones harassing us, right, So that's one of the key issues with the new lease. Also, the eviction cases are not even being dropped after tenants sign this new lease. They're merely being suspended. And the court actually retains jurisdiction for six years over the eviction cases, which is not something that any of the tenant lawyers we have worked with have ever seen before. And what this means is that if the tenants are late just one day on the rent plus the debt repayment that BOTS is asking for, they can also be immediately evicted without a jury trial. And then, finally, this one is one of the kickers, is that in the lease, Bots also wrote language saying that the tenants are responsible for paying his lawyer fee, which are up to are up to thirty thousand dollars, and he is also demanding that the tenants pay his lawyer fees with three percent in Jesus Christ. So he's asking tenants to pay for their own evictions.
Speaker 4: And one of the most wild parts of this whole thing is.
Speaker 6: That Adie Nieces is doubling down on calling this a good deal. She is caught on recording at a recent protest that we did at her house saying that she would recommend that one of her family members signs this deal, which essentially signs their rights away and commits them to paying an exorbitant amount of money to get evicted.
Speaker 4: So, yeah, this is what we're dealing with.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I want to kind of focus in on that last part because that is a DSA elected like that is one of the people that she ran. That was also so very specifically was you know, someone who was elected off of your organizing and is now instantly turned around and gone, I would tell my own family to pay this guy's lawyer to evict you, which is nuts.
Speaker 6: Yeah, hardly socialists, hardly progressive, hardly even liberal at this point, right. It's just such naked, blatant protection of neoliberalism. And she not only called this a good deal, she when we brought up the behavioral restrictions, she referred to those as simply good neighbor policies that we all have to abide by.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which is ridiculous.
Speaker 10: Like what.
Speaker 6: So just completely normalizing the landlord, you know, maximizing his power, gaining more power than any landlord has ever had in the city, and completely restricting the tenants right to organize and to fight against harassment.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think this raises a really important question about what are we actually doing as a movement for the people who aren't involved in this, like who are involved directly in the tenants organizing, Like, if the thing that you're doing is putting people like this in power who get elected off of movement and immediately turn on them inside with landlords, is what is your political project supposed to be doing?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 3: And if this is something that you're okay with, you need to sit down and reevaluate what you actually believe. And it's something that you're not okay with, you need to sit down also and ask yourself how did it come to this? And why is this something that you think is acceptable?
Speaker 6: Mm hmm, yeah, a thousand percent so far, even though we protest today and he says last weekend, we haven't really heard from DSA folks in terms of actually publicly supporting us and publicly holding a Unie says accountable. So that's something that we would like to see ideally.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like like again, like I know there are DSA people at LA listening to the show, like, please come collect your trash, like this is this is this is your problem, and you also have to be part of the solution to dealing with it, because right now, what you have is a situation where a bunch of tenants and a bunch of tenant organizers are fighting your people at the same time as they're also fighting the landlords and the rest of the city governments and the city bureaucracy. And this is this is the situation that I think is just absolutely unacceptable and that can be intervened in by people who are supposed to be doing this and haven't been.
Speaker 5: Yeah, speaking on that, I have a lot of feelings around that, and as someone that has experienced a lot of displacement in Echo Park and not happening in Chinatown. It's something that's followed me my whole life and dealing directly with the problem of like gentrification and the people coming into our neighborhoods or mostly.
Speaker 7: Like liberal folks.
Speaker 5: I know a lot of them benefit from the displacement and gentrification, and it's really easy for them to look away or just kind of like show their shoulders and just go have brunch at a new Eco Park or Highland Park cafe.
Speaker 7: So definitely thank you for calling that out.
Speaker 5: And yeah, we really need to like think radically and reimagine what it would look like to find a different solution where we're not relying on these politicians or yeah, the city to find those solutions, because it's evident that six years into our fight at Hillside Villa.
Speaker 7: It's been cyclical where we're.
Speaker 5: Asking our council members to represent us, and again and again they give us false promises and disappoint us, and there's complete hypocrisy and backstabbing on behalf of the politicians. And you know, all of these are tactics. With the LAHD making us wait for so long, with tom Bots working with them, I think that's a tactic, is making the people the community wait for so long that they get tired, They get tired of fighting, they get tired of waiting, And unfortunately that has been a tactic that I've seen, like has gotten to a lot of our elder folks or people that are just fed up having to deal with the bureaucracy of it all. That a lot of them, kind of not everyone. For example me, I'm still believe eminent domain could have been like a more radical solution in a way for us to take that power back from the city and the way that they use these laws to benefit them that we could use like eminent domain to help us for once. But eminent domain was completely given up on on with like certain tenants that we're tired of fighting and wanted to reach an agreement and wanted to reach a deal. So then we have this fifteen year deal that is then turned into ten years because those five years that we had been fighting is included into that fifteen years. Not only that, but yeah, he gets fifteen million dollars plus his debt to the city forget or extended. I forget which one it is, but this full's a millionaire. Yeah, he has a bunch of houses in Malibu he doesn't need any more money, And it's just really disappointing that at a time like this where we know that things aren't working anymore and that things needs to change, that again, the city and the politicians are continuing to side with the landlords and continue the cyclical oppression of lack of housing and lack of accessibility to housing that affected me as a child, and that is going to affect the children that are around me now and the teenagers and the single parents. So that's why we need these better solutions. And Yeah, like Jenna said, for the two or three years that Eunice's has been around in office, we've only seen her two or three times. She doesn't know what's going on half the time. And she is actively supporting shops here in Chinatown that are gentrifying the community. Not only herself, but her office is actively trying to divide our organization and our tenant association.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think even during her initial meetings with us, she would kind of use this line of I don't want to hear from organizers, especially one of our most committed organizers is a white male lawyer.
Speaker 4: He's there with us every single week.
Speaker 6: She would specifically scapego him and you know, say, oh, I don't want to hear from a white lawyer.
Speaker 4: I'm here to hear from the tenants.
Speaker 6: And that dynamic actually like really got entrenched in our organizing, where some tenants then began to weaponize that and sow division, and.
Speaker 4: She continues to use that as a.
Speaker 6: Talking point, Like we saw during the most recent protest at her house, she continued to use both of these tactics weaponizing identity politics, which was really ironic because as she was saying that, you know, from one side of her mouth, on the other side, she's receiving advice from this white hipster musician that she appointed to her office who's literally telling her every two minutes, like what is actually on this contract because she clearly has not read. So it was just really ironic to see that play out in real time. She continued to say that she only wants to hear from tenants, even though tenants are saying the same exact things that the organizers are, but she's infantilizing them right by saying, like, oh, you wouldn't believe these things if these organizers weren't putting them into your brains. No, these tenants very much have the ability to make their own decisions and their own critical thinking, and we're offering them information that they are then you know, taking in themselves. And then ultimately, with the most recent protests, she just completely gas lit us for demanding more than she's giving. The whole vibe was basically like, why aren't you guys grateful for the ten year extension. Why aren't you grateful to me for finding two hundred and fifty thousand dollars to help you repay your debt?
Speaker 4: Maybe we're not grateful.
Speaker 6: Because when that two hundred and fifty thousand dollars runs out, tenants were on fixed incomes are immediately vulnerable to eviction, and they're vulnerable to eviction even before that if they even just blast their music too loud in the patio based on this lease. So, yeah, we are very very pissed off at CDU one right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you know, people, people listen to the show a lot, like you should all recognize these tactics because these are all incredibly standard union busting tactics, like the whole like dragging out the first contract negotiation, UH, trying to do divide and conquer between the union and you know, doing the Oh these are outside organizers, like the union's outside organizer. This is all just straight up union busting one oh one stuff exactly.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm so glad you brought that word up, because that's what we've been calling it the past year, exactly like you said, third partying the union dragging out contract negotiations. And the I think the sad thing is that tenant organizing has a lot less protections than labor organizing or a lot less you know, formalized law, so we don't have things like the NLRB that can maybe give us a little bit more teeth in fighting against unfairly por practices.
Speaker 4: So that could probably be.
Speaker 6: A whole other conversation, a comparison between tenant and labor organizing, but so many parallels as well.
Speaker 5: And then like also, she made so many promises and sweet talked so many of us, and there's this like respectability politics that a lot of even tenants became divided within our movement because they put so much trust into her office and into the in their hands, whereas other tenants were still very critical and very hard on U Niss anytime she was around, we really questioned them and a lot of the tenants didn't like that, and they, you know, demanded that we not question them and that we behave in an educated manner. But look look at what we have now. We have a contract that is completely has sold all of us out and what for, you know, for these promises and fooling the people into believing her into trusting those promises or that she would actually have our best interest. So here we are and these are some of the things that we've also been dealing with in the association.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and just to quickly add on to the point you were just making an I E. I think we've really.
Speaker 6: Learned these past few years about the insidiousness of these so called progressive electeds, right, who come from some kind of left leaning background. Aganieces comes from Law Defensa, which is a nonprofit that has organized for you know, certain kinds of reforms within prison spaces, and so she would constantly refer to herself as an organizer and weaponize that right, like as an organizer, like I know what I'm doing and you guys can trust me. Whereas with Sidillo, the previous council member, the contradictions were just obvious, like we knew this guy was bullshit, and you know, we would just be openly fighting him all the time. But in a lot of ways, us getting her elected I think made our organizing harder because of the way that she would, you know, call us her fam which should have been a red flag from the beginning, right, that's also another word. Yeah, yeah, call your co worker, here's your family. But yeah, I think that's definitely been a huge lesson in the past few years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that's I think something is not very well understood about the way that sort of campaigns are destroyed is that like someone who is nominally on the same side view is significantly more dangerous of an opponent than someone who isn't right. And I mean, like you can look at immediately after World War Two in Italy in nineteen nineteen nineteen twenty, there's this thing called the Bennio Rosso.
Speaker 9: This is the two Red years.
Speaker 3: The two Red Years culminate in what becomes known as the occupation of the factories. This is these mass sort of workers' movements sort of cumulating from all of the effects of the war and all of the sort of repression that's been happening for centuries in Italy. And what happens is instead of calling a conventional general strike, in which you know, workers leave the factories and allow boss to hold on to them, workers instead just seize control and occupy the factories they work.
Speaker 9: And this is why, you know, it's called the occupation of the factories.
Speaker 3: And in this period, right, these workers have the capitalists on the ropes.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 3: Without control of the factories, the bosses can't restart production with scabs. And more importantly, it puts the workers in the position to simply drive the bosses out entirely and restart production under the control of the workers who work in these places and who literally build the entire economic system that these capitalists have been profiting from. And this was the best chance and any country in Europe was ever going to get to defeat the capitalists once and for all. Right, this was this was the best they were ever going to have it. But the worker's oldest allies, these are the socialists and social democratic politicians in the Socialist Party opposed the occupations. And these these Socialist Party politicians, these are their friends, These are their comrades, these are these are the people who lead their unions. I mean, these are people who you know, a lot of these people have spent thirty years organizing with these people just to carve the workers movement out of sort of the stone of history. These are the people, you know, who, in a lot of cases like they had gone to war with. So when the social democrats told them to immobilize and told them to go home and told them to, you know, just give the fact the factories back to the capitalists and give up all of their leverage, the workers listened, and once they've been totally demobilized, there was no way for them to resist the fascists. Lussolini Marsha on Rome the next year, and in the wake of the socialists betrayal, the fascists would rule Italy for twenty five years. You have to be incredibly weary of these people who who take power from you know, like the most personal example to be is we have this with Brandon Johnson, who was like a you know, the big here that he was the mayor of Chicago, where I I guess technically now I don't live there, but I live there for ages. Who was you know, quote our quote unquote movement mayor and then immediately started just fucking putting migrants that had been like bust up in just like these fucking horrible conditions in camps. People were dying, people are getting fucking terrible diseases, like buildings with mold in them, like stuff that was condemned, and like all of this stuff happened, and you know, and it really kind of in a very similar way. Because this was you know, this was supposed to be one of us. The resistance to it has been really inutered. And that's a dynamic that you know, we haven't had as much in the US because there hasn't been a left in this country until really the last maybe decade, and that's stretching it. And now, you know, we need to actually get back to understanding how this kind of stuff works, because more and more the people who are going to be arresting you are people who you know, you used people used to be organizing with people, people who you used to know, and people who even when you put a mic in front of their face, will claim to be on your side.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: No, those are some really great comparisons to draw to. And yeah, I think we've definitely learned to be more vigilant collectively.
Speaker 4: It's here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, is there anything else that you two want to say before you wrap up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it's really important to hold people accountable always. As much as they don't want to be held accountable, they still they probably won't, but they still have a responsibility to the community. And yeah, I think we need to do stick to direct action and less working alongside of politicians because at the end of the day, the same thing will happen again and again, will be sold out and it'll be a big.
Speaker 7: Waste of time.
Speaker 5: So I think the collective power of community in doing direct action always will be the solution. And that's something that I've learned more recently and the way that things have kind of unfolded with Hillside Villa. And lastly, I know there are some key demands for CD one we can share it too.
Speaker 6: So yeah, I think picking up on what you were saying, an Ie, direct action has always been our bread and butter to actually get meaningful results, and we're already seeing it after this recent protest at a Unicis's house where CD one, the city council district, is now completely changing their tun and saying oh this this lease was just a draft, like you don't have to feel pressured to sign it. You can put together a counter proposal, and that is completely not what they were saying at all before the protest. They were really really pressuring us to sign the lease, and even at the protest right a niece is recommending that a family member would sign it. So we're already seeing the results, and in our counterproposal, we plan to really highlight a few demands. First and foremost, that the rent debt is turned into consumer non evictible debt. No behavior stipulations, those are bullshit, the eviction cases actually get dismissed and not suspended in court for six years.
Speaker 4: And finally, no.
Speaker 6: Fifteen million for Bots until a fair deal is reached. And that's a key point of leverage because CD one is acting as the escrow of the fifteen million, meaning that they're supposed to, Yeah, see if both parties, so US and Bots quote unquote like fulfill what we're supposed to with a deal before giving Bots the fifteen million.
Speaker 4: And so they have so much power over this situation.
Speaker 6: They keep throwing their hands up and saying they don't have power, but they.
Speaker 4: Can withhold the fifteen million from him until.
Speaker 6: He actually responds to some of these demands. So that's what we really want to highlight in this moment. And for folks who you know, want to kind of stay updated on the struggle.
Speaker 4: Our handle on both Twitter and Instagram, I believe is Hellside Underscore.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so feel free to check us out there and stay updated.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well we'll put link to the description too. And on that note, thank you to both so much for coming on. And yeah, fuck them fuck did d you say elected? Fuck the landlords? What the hell department? I hope you hope you crushed the ball?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, fuck them all.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much for having us. And yeah, definitely the city a lot needs to be dismantled and reimagined and reconstructed, starting with housing and so much more. But thank you again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I encourage everyone listening to the show. Give him hell, who whoever them is in this scenario, give him hell.
Speaker 9: Welcome to it could happen here. I'm Andrew Siege at the YouTube channel andrews and I'm excited to discuss yet in the facet anarchus history from another part of the route. This time would take a look at the history of anarchism in Chile. In my discussion of Peruvian anarchistsyndicalism. I mentioned the cross border contacts between Peruvian and Chilean syndicalists, particularly of the IWW variety, So what else were they doing in that time? Howid's syndicalism get started in Chile, let's find out. All credit due to the work of Larry Cambone's anarchism in Chile and especially Jose Antonio Quterres Danton's eighteen seventy two to nineteen ninety five anarchism in Chile without further ado nos comensimos. During the French Revolution of eighteen forty eight that founded the French Second Republic, which was part of the so called Springtime of the People's where revolutions swept through Europe. Two notable figures of Chilean and liberal revolutionary history happened to be at Paris at the time, Santiago Arcos and Francisco Bilbao. Santiago Arcos was a Chilean liberal who lived in exile in Paris because of his father's involvement with the independence government. He rubbed shoulders with French socialists and liberals alike, and also met Francisco Bilbao upon his families whore two into Chile, they tried and failed to start a bank due to government pressure, so his father returned to Europe, but Arcos stayed in Chile, and after his father died he got a hefty inheritance and would go on to take part in various struggles around Latin America. Arcos also famously wrote Frontiers and Indians, a Question of Indians, and which he advocated for killing off of the indigenous people because it was cheaper than maintain the garrison to protect the settlers from attacks. Bit of a record scratch movement, but unfortunately typical of the time. Francisco Bilbao was another Chilean liberal who lived in Paris. Prior to his migration, he published a rather controversial article to Chilean sociability lass, Sociability Dad Chilena, which was condemned by Chilean authorities as blasphemous and immoral for its critique to the Church and state. After his condemnation, he moved to Peru, where he was condemned for criticizing the Peruvian president. So he left for Paris, and in Paris he met Arcos, and upon their return to Chile, together Arcos and Bilbau founded lassosier Dad de la igual Dad, or the Equality Society, which was marginally influenced by mutualist thought. You see, anarchism fungus came to Chile by way of the mutualist strain. Unfortunately, it was quickly suppressed by the conservative government, but not before the establishment of the country's first mutual aid society of as many of one hundred artisans. Those artisans would take part in the eighteen fifty one Chilean Revolution against the Conservative government, which unfortunately didn't succeed. After the feeling of the revolution, the conservative government began a program of political persecution against the instigators of the uprisings, which included arrests and deportations. Bilbao and Arcos were among those exiled. Other mutual societies were forming the late eighteen fifth as mutualism was caden influence among artisans like printmakers, shoemakers, and tailors. In eighteen sixty two, the mutual aid Society La Union was founded as a general mutual for all artists of all trades in Santiago and offered both workshops and medical services, and established a school for artisans and their children. By the early eighteen sixties, there were some seventy cooperatives, both consumer and producer. By eighteen seventy there were thirteen neutrals, which saved alleviate misery. In spite of economic depression. La Union branched out over a dozen cities, and in addition to education, health and welfare, it formed a philharmonic society. So why do you think these orcs became influential. It's probably because they were practicing what they preached, showing the proof of concert to their ideas through practical application of the principles of libertymutuality, solidarity and self education. In eighteen seventy two, the Chilean section the International Workingmen's Association was established in Valparaiso, which is a major coastal city in Chile. Eighteen seventy two was also the year the anarchists were kicked out of the International, so the Chilean section didn't last too long, but it did plant a seed. Libertarian ideas were spread in particularly among the nitrate miners. Keep that in mind for later. Then boom eighteen seventy nine, Chile goes to war with Bolivia and Peru and actually wins, which makes Bolivia landlocked. And that's why it still land ocked to this day. The war profited the Chilean and English nitrate mine bosses and the Chilean state, but of course the workers themselves suffered. By eighteen eighty there were thirty nine mutual aid societies responding to those needs after the war. In eighteen eighty seven, the Union Republicana del Pueblo or People's Republican Union, was formed with an anarchist platform. Not long after, with a series of strikes by rail workers, miners and others, the workers launched the first national general strike in eighteen ninety and it was brutally crushed and followed by further brutality as in eighteen ninety one, the president Bamasada tried to press through reforms against the wishes of both Congress and foreign capital interests, which led to a civil war. The workers suffered Semo Semo and Bamaceada was defeated and deposed and then committed suicide. Truly revolutionary anarchism came to Chile in the eighteen nineties through an anarchist immigrant from Spain named Manuel Chinchilla. Chilean anarchist Carlos Rquera was influenced by Chinchilla, and together they formed the Centro des Studio Socialists Center for Social Studies in eighteen ninety two and published the paper El O Primido The Oppressed. Another group of anarchists from IL Centro Sociality, the Tarbahadores or Workers Social Center, founded the journal L three to dil Pueblo the People's Scream. Among the other societies and papers forming during this period included societad the Protecti al Trabahador Imutuo Apoyo or Society for Workers Protection and Mutual Aid, and Il Proletario the Proletaria. In eighteen ninety four, the Chilean mutualists formed the Federacion de Tabahadores Chile or Workers Confederation the FTCH, which was the first national federation of workers in Chile and history. It wasn't all that radical outside the context of conservative government, that is, as it fought for social reform as well as the usual activities of education and health insurance, but it was influential. By nineteen twenty five it had more than one hundred thousand members. In eighteen ninety eight, there was a general strike in the coastal city of Ikike, and new societies were formed like Partido Obrero Francisco Bilbao, which became an anarchist group in eighteen ninety nine, and resistant societies were also formed for railway workers and carpenters, which should go on to play a major role in Santiago General Strike of nineteen oh seven. Magazines, as always were also founded, like La Tromba Irrebele and Latin Torture. We also got to see the fust demonstrations against military service and the army in Chilean history, under the slogan the army is the academy of crime. From nineteen hundred to nineteen ten, anarchists were the best organized of all the radical groups, according to Larry Gombone, particularly in print making, bacon shoemaking, and the docks. In nineteen hundred, there were thirty resistant societies concentrated in central Chile among industrial workers. The resistant societies were decentralized rotated positions, acted autonomously and were active in strikes. By nineteen ten, there were four hundred and thirty three resistant societies, the total membership of fifty five thousand. The year nineteen hundred also marked the establishment of man communales or brotherhoods within the mutualist movement, which fused the mutual aid societies were trade unions. The first Man Cuminale organized in Nikike Balloon into a movement of six thousand members, which is the majority of the nitrate and maritime workers in northern Jule. The Man Communale movement favored direct action at a much greater level of organization and solidarity than the resistance societies. The resistant societies were local, Man communales spanned large territories, uniting different trades on a city, then provincial, then national level. One of the accomplishments of these movements was the crowing presence of workers' strikes, empowered by solidarity. In nineteen oh two, harbor workers staged a sixty day strike, and in nineteen oh three there was a general strike in the port city of Alparaiso, resulting in the murder of more than one hundred workers by the state. That rebellion spread to the cities of Antofagasta, Iota and Coronet and lasted for forty three days. When the Man Communales federated in nineteen oh four as the Grand man Coominal Dolberas, they brought together twenty one thousand members. A year after their federation was the Red Week of nineteen oh five. Tired of the inhuman conditions, the cost of living, the high taxes, a workers committee known as Centreo their Studios sociated dad at the Nao Obrero called all workers to join the strike and to support the cause. By October twenty second of nineteen oh five, thirty eight thousand people had joined the uprising, including bushers, shoemakers, tanners, cigar makers, truckmen, tapestry makers, typographers, telegraphers, blacksmiths, tinsmiths, bakers, and railway workers. The mayor eighteen hundred police officers tried to kill the energy on the streets, as did the ruling class funded White Guard, but despite their massacre two hundred and fifty workers, the movement continued to grow. By nineteen oh six, workers were active in the Ferracio the Tapadores de Chile or the FDCCH, and students had organized the Feracio and their Studiantest de Chile or FECCH. Unfortunately, the mancominale movement and almost died after the nineteen oh seven depression and severe military repression, the worst instance of which was the Santa Maria massacre. Of Ikike, where over three thousand minitrate miners and their supporters were killed by machine gun file after going on strike for better living conditions than the company towns built around the mines. The company towns were run by the mine owners, who owned the workers' housing, owned the company's store, monopolized all commers, employed a private police force, and paid workers in tokens instead of money. The strikers was joined by their wives, children and other workers in the city of Ahike and had set up strike headquarters at the Santa Maria School. They were given an hour to disband or be fired upon. When they stood firm, a certain General silver Renard, known as the Butcher of Ikike, gave US troops the order to fire upon the strikers, their wives, and their children. One eyewitness said quote on the central balcony stood thirty or so men in the prime of their life, life quite calm, beneath a great Layan flag, and surrounded by the flags of other nations. They were the strike committee. All eyes were fixed on them, just as all the guns were directed at them. Standing they received the shots as though struck by lightning. They fell, and the great flags fluttered down over their bodies. There was a moment of silence as the machine guns were lowered to aim the school yard and the hall occupied by a compact mass of people who spilled over into the main square. There was a sound like thunder as they fired. Then the gunfire ceased and the foot soldiers went into the school by the side doors, firing as men and women fled in all directions. End quote estimates vary, with conservative estimates placing the death toll of over two thousand, while Jose Touterres Danton's account reckons as many as three thousand, six hundred. In any case, if all three thousand of those miners were members of the Grand Man Comunale Delbreras, that had mean roughly fifteen percent of the movement was laughtered in one massacre, a significant tragedy for show. Following the massacre, the movement formed the Feracion Obrera de Chile or FOCCH, which aimed to pull together all the organizations involved in the struggle, whether anarchists, Marxists or liberals. It was co created by the Ones falter in Mancominalys and grew in militancy until I had fully adopted anarchistiniclist principles. Even the trade unions outside of the FOCCH were anarchist cynicalist, but eventually the Synacalists and FOCICH would be overtaken by the Marxists following the rise of the Soviet Union and the deeper intentions between Anarchists and Marxists. Also in the nineteen tens, the famous Chilean poet Pablo and the Ruder was Robin Schoulers of the Anarchists, though he eventually became a Communist of the Marxist fariety. Meanwhile, the student org FCCH established a popular university to link workers and students and develop popular education. In nineteen twelve, the Federacion Obrera Regionale de Chile FOOR or FOT was formed, while nineteen nineteen marked the launch of the Chilean IWW, which expanded to nineteen cities and a ten thousand strong membership. All the while the strikes continued. Nineteen nineteen marked yet another general strike. The nitrate minds weren't as profitable as they once were, creating more attention as workers were laid off. The state was in debt and with domestic disarray, it needed a distraction, so it tried to spark yet another war with Peru. Thankfully, the war never happened when it looked like it would be. It was roundly condemned by the FECCH, as they should, but nineteen nineteen was also the year that reactionaries broken too the fcch's headquarters and burned down the building. While archiss workers were being jailed, tortured and murdered all the way into the nineteen twenties. Still, by nineteen twenty five, there were two hundred and fourteen syndicates in Chile, posting the active participation of more than two hundred thousand people, and it was the first year where Chilean dedication of the IWW was able to participate in an IWA Congress. Santiago had a wrench strike, and yet still work of blood was being spilled and tortured, and then a coup happened in nineteen twenty five. Carlos Ibaniez took power and by nineteen twenty seven sort of fully abolished the labor movement. Union offices were raided, anarchist groups disbanded, and journals shut down. The labor movement persisted, the ideas lived on, but the anarchists were hit particularly hard. Next we'll find out what happens in the rest of the twentieth century for the anarchist movement in Chile. We're back talking about the history of anarchism in Chile. We almost gave Das Sayer and arrest of the Sierra Bene. Let's see what they get up to for the rest of the twentieth century. In nineteen thirty, the indush tree that Chile had been relying on for years, the one that had caused so much strife for workers across the country, had suffered a major blue. German scientists discovered a synthetic nitrate there was far cheaper than the natural one. Nitrate has used in both foot liizer production ammunitions manufactory. So with the cheap alternative to the form found in the ground, the meager livelihoods of thousands of workers was now under threat. The mine owners may have had to reshuffle their finances a bit to recover from the loss of the booming industry, but it was the workers who dealt with the worst of such a crisis. They faced famine, mass migration, and overcrowding, compounded by the existing economic pressures of the worldwide recession. The nineteen thirties. Crisis hit the population hard, but they kept strikeing regardless. The dictatorship of Colonel Carlos Ibanie's fell in nineteen thirty one due to all that popular unrest. Then things went from bad to worse. The center of workers struggled. The city of Santiago, the headquarters of the Ferracion Obrera de Chile or FOCCH, where organizations of all flavors had worked together, came under attack in April nineteen thirty four. The police and the White Guards, which were a group of capitalists funded meadheads, opened fire on the compound, killing seven workers and a child, while badly injuring around two hundred others. In June of that same year, nineteen thirty four, four hundred and seventy seven peasants were slain in Alto, Biobio, Rankiel and Lonqui May, all fairly small towns in the countryside of Chile. Two years later, in December nineteen thirty six, the Ferracion Obrera Regionale de Chile or FRCH or FORT and the Chilean IWW worked together to form the Conferracion General de Trabajadores or CGT. It was their anarchist alternatives, the communist and socialist founded Workers Confederation of Chile or CTCH, which they saw as more reformists. Together, they fought to achieve the eight hour workday, Sundays off, indemnity for accidents at work, monetary recognition for years of service, the right to retirement, and the right to an old age pension. Meanwhile, the Chilean Anarchist Federation or FACCH got active and sent some brigades to support their comrades in the Spanish Civil War. During the Civil war period, anarchism had another upswing of popularity in Chile, but since the reformist Union had legal and institutional back in, since the anarchists were being heavily repressed, and since there was some disorganization among them, the anarchists had started to lose their popularity. Anarchist cyndicalism had declined significantly going into the nineteen forties, while reformist cynicalism stayed strong under the control of the socialists, Communists and Christian Democrats. In nineteen forty six, eight workers were murdered and many more were seriously injured by the police dogs at Bulmes Square in Santiago. The persecution of workers and particularly anarchist workers continued into nineteen forty seven as Pisagua, a notorious and Tuoman camp once used to detain key folks from the Carlossi when he has dictatorship, was transformed into a concentration camp for socialists, communists, anarchists under President Gabrielle Gonzalez Fidela. The notorious Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet had a stint run in the camp in that time as well, so, of course, fearing for their lives, anarchist organizations had to go underground. Even underground, they were able to accomplish some radical work. For example, the Luisa Michelle Cultural Center, renamed in the nineteen fifty three to Luisa Michelle Libertarian School, which sought to educate female workers and later children as well. It had at a time over seventy students. He was able to last for a decade up until nineteen fifty seven, despite authoritarian repression. In nineteen fifty the anarchist syneclist Ernesto mirandl brought together twelve federations and several syndicates into the Movimento Unitario Nacionaletraes or Month or Movement for Workers Unity. Prior to the Formation of the Month, Miranda got started in the workers movement at the age of twenty way back in nineteen thirty two. While working in the shoe industry, he fought the local Nazis and the police were taking part in various unions and unitary committees for in the formation of Month. Nineteen fifty three saw the formation of the Central Unitaria the Trebadores or CUT, Chile's United Labor Center. The initial aims and principles of CUT were drawn up by members of the Confederacio and General de Tabahadores or CGT, and anarchist syncalists filled the shoe worker, printer and maritime unions. In the CUTS Declaration, the workers proclaimed that the amountcipation of the workers is the work of the workers themselves and that quote the present capitalist system based on private ownership of land, instruments, and means of production, and exploitation of man by man, which divides society into antagonistic classes exploited and exploiters, must be replaced by a social economic system that abolishes private property until a class less society is reached. In which man and humanity are assured of their full development. The Central Workers Union will carry out a revindicative action within the principles and methods of the class struggle, maintaining its full independence from all governments and partisan political sectarianism. However, the Central Workers Union is not an apolitical union. On the contrary, representing the conjunctions of all sector of the work in masses, its humanimatory action will be derived above the political parties in order to maintain its organic cohesion. The trade union struggle is an interiral part of the general class movement, the proletaria and the exploited masses, and as such a connoty must not remain neutral in the social struggle and must assume its proper leadership rule. Consequently, it declares that all trade unions organizations for the defense of the interests and goals the workers within the capitalist system, but at the same time the organizations of class struggle that points to the economic emouncipation of the workers as their goal, that is, the socialist transformation of society, the abolition of classes and the organization of human life to the abolition of the oppressive state. Endcode. The cut tried and failed to call a general strike in nineteen fifty five, partially because, unbeknownst to them, the communist and socialist groups within the CUT had reached their own agreement with the government. By nineteen fifty seven, the CUT were severely split. The Anacho Synicalists abandoned it in protest of its involvement in an electoral pact with the FRAP the Friende Amplio Popular, a left wing party during the lead up to the presidential election in nineteen fifty eight. The anarchist Synicalists rightfully believed that the CUT getting involved with the political party would compromise working class independence. However, that act of protest would also diminish the influence of the anarchists and the union movement. Nineteen fifty seven also marked the rise of Elmo Vimiento Libertario, Theie de de Julio or the Seventh of July libertarian movement, the Bratiada. The anarchists, Centrade unionists from Osorno, Temuco, Concepcion, Dinares and Talca were dispersed after leaving the CUT. It unfortunately dissolved a decade later as his participants got involved in other organizations. Ernesto Miranda, one of the co creators of Month, went on to create Committee the Defenser the Revolution Cubana, although by nineteen sixty the Anarchist Federation FAH was already warning of the Cuban Revolution's involvement with Russia. Miranda later went on to form the MIR the Movemento de Squierreta Revolutionaria the revolutionary left wing movement, in nineteen sixty five, alongside anarchist synclist Cultario Blest and Trotzkis Enriqueesepulveda. Cultario Blest had previously visited Cuba, which had impressed upon him the need for insurrectionary action. Upon his return to Chile, Blest formed the Third of November Movement M three END to promote revolution and unite the revolutionary life left against electoralism. Before the MIR was founded, there was the MFR, the Movement of Revenue Starying Forces in nineteen sixty one, which brought together non line anarchists, trusteists, maoists, socialists and communists in the trade union work. With the growing involvement of communist parties that eventually took over the anarchists were eventually sideline in the MR, and it was quickly known as a fully mL org. The MIR persists to this day. Another organization was also founded in this time, the VP of Van Guardia Organizata del Pueblo, which rejected the authoritarianism of the MIR with an ideological blend of anarchism and anti authoritarian Marxism. Both MIR and vop were doing their thing and would play struggles and getting their finance in through bank robberies, but this wouldn't last and both groups should also faced repression and reaction from the authorities. Then came nineteen seventy with the election of Popular Unity candidate of Salvador Allende to the presidency. Allende was considered a democratic socialist, the first Marxist democratically elected in Latin America. Allenda declared an amnesty for all political prisoners and even to con members of VOPI as part of his personal guard or Crupo de Amigo's personalities gap. By nineteen seventy one, they already warned the president that the right was plotting to overthrow the government, but the president didn't take them on, so they took matters into their own hands and executed one of the key plotters in the coup plans for that they were punished. In nineteen seventy two, workers began to take over their workplaces as the US had imposed a trade and credit embargo in retaliation for the nationalization of US ow and copper minds. Neighborhood committees took goods from the work of control factories and distributed them amongst the communities. The FDR or friend Dated Trabahadori's revolution Scenarios or Revolutionary Workers Front, played a major role in this process. Proven that workers were quite capable of running a factory by themselves, and their government and bosses were no longer necessary. But for all his alleged socialist credits, Allende couldn't believe this was possible, so he sent observers to give orders within the affected factories. Meanwhile, peasants were taken over land and organizing through the MCR or Moving Miento de Campesinos serv Scenarios or Revolutionary Peasants Movement. The government was feeling the pressure applied from without and within. By nineteen seventy three, Henry Kissinger and the other demons of the US did a test run coup, but the people barricaded the neighborhoods and factories from the police and army. Being the first elected president of Latin Miracle, Allende was patient zero for a pattern of interventions that would plague the region for years to come. After the three years of presidency and a second coup attempt, a Costo Pinochet took power in a US backed coup in nineteen seventy three. A few months after the first cop attempt, tanks rolled on the streets of Santiago. Thousands were tortured, raped and murdered. Anarchists were disappeared. Those that escaped death found themselves in concentration camps, many of which were ironically established on the remains of the old Nitride Mind villages. All political parties and trade unions were banned. Some courses at universities were closed down, denounced as the home of revolutionary sentiment. The secret police direction intell Hinteria National called folks in Fair. The executive would be thrown into the sea and Pinochet would go on to rule for nearly seventeen years. In nineteen seventy five, anarchists Cultario Blessed and Ernesto Miranda would activate a Committee of Defense of Human Rights, the Code which would become of vital importance for those persecuted by the dictatorship. They would record the rights violations and rescue and help escape those being persecuted. In nineteen seventy seven and seventy eight, the Kodas managed to organize the first event during the dictatorship to commemorate International Worker's Day, which helped to disrupt the fair people had of the dictatorship. Six years after the coups, heading into the eighties, despite the oppression, the anarchists were starting to reorganize. Alongside libertarian leading members of the former Popular Unity Coalition. They created the Umbrella group Socialist Ideas and Action PAS and took part in the struggles against the dictatorship in the eighties. In nineteen eighty, syndicates affiliated with Norway's IWA was able to secure the freedom of europe members who had been in prisoned for nearly a decade, exchanging the m prison one for exile, while the Marxist mir managed to assas Saint the chief of Army intelligence from her Reverergara Campos and a few other significant military figures, as well as bombing US affiliated corporations. In nineteen eighty two, textile workers went on strike despite the risk of oppression, and they were joined by a solidarity strike by nineteen eighty three, when children and teachers wouldn't attend school, people wouldn't buy anything, and workers would stay home. The police tried to disrupt the marches of the people. Two were killed as a result and one hundreds were arrested or wounded. But between nineteen eighty three and nineteen eighty four, mass protests became more frequent and the people defended themselves against the police with molotovs, stones and barricades. While anarchists were involved in these struggles, anarchists ideas went to focus. The focus was on top leand the dictator. However, by nineteen eighty four you had a libertarian magazine called Lavois, the latter he is most circulating. In nineteen eighty seven, the anarchist black flags reappeared in Santiago. Concepcion and social centers were also established with an anarchist streak, such as a Center for Social Studies Elduende the ELF and Santiago and the Collectiva Anarquista Libracion cal Conceptcion, both under the umbrella of the Taira. The Analyst in NiCl Social the Studio for Social Studies and Analysis, which was created with the aim of Brighton and Space for the oppressed. A newspaper called Akrata Anarchist was published by Collectivo Anarchista Conceptcion, and the Bulletin Liberacion by the cal Accion Director was published by Anarchist Comrades in Santiago. For nineteen eighty nine, Pinochet had to accept defeat and stepped down. By nineteen ninety, liberal democracy had returned somewhat to Chile. In the nineties, several anarchist groups formed, disappeared, and regrouped, and several anarchists publications were printed and spread. The ID the Anarchist inter Cities, Federation Veracio and Alarquista Interciodana, the cham Or Jubetures and Time Militaristas the Mallow, the Movement Too Anarchistas, Luis Cole, the FAI Conceptcion, Collectivo Cultural Libertario, Bnartesta, Conceptsion, Read Anarchista, and various other groups in Viallemana, Osorno, Tinuco, Concepcion, Paparaiso Santiago, et cetera. Jose Antoniogo terrest Anton, the author of one of the historical accounts I referenced took part in several of these orcs as well as their own collective Arboronegro returned to delegations the IWA Congress in Spain in December of nineteen ninety four and took over the work of the IWW in Chile. As of the twenty first century, several collectives and individuals are disseminated in anarchist ideas and practices. Anarchist book fairs have been hosted in Santiago, and the Anarchist Federation Santiago has been working in organizing an anarchist platform. Anarchists inspired or adjacent movements have lit the streets against the government, protest formations, review central authorities, and indigenous Mapuche activists carry on their deco nil struggle against the state by various means, sometimes bordering on an arcchic and the mapuch struggle in Chile, by the way, is a fascinating story that really deserves its own episodes, which I hope to explore in the future. Anarchist activists have also continued to be killed by the police or other reactionaries following the return of democracy, such as Claudia Lopez ben Aches in nineteen ninety eight and Honey Carrikeo Yanez and Juan Cruz Magna in two thousand and eight. Chilean anarchists have also allegedly been set in bombs around the country meant to cause damage to law enforcement, security forces, banks, and transnational corporations property, but also caused an occasional injury or death to people. Cambone also writes the mutual aid societies still function and in a society where the welfare state is practically non existent, mutual aid plays a much greater role than elsewhere. Cooperatives both agricultural and consumer are found in Chile, although you don't have the same level of economic influence that similar movements have in Western Europe or Canada. And there are other libertarian oriented developments as well. Between Christians and ex Marxistanists who rejected the Van Guard Party formed local based committees working in progracis. They function as mutual aid societies and centers to organize local issues. I hope that the people of Chile, like everywhere else, can find true freedom after overst century of anarchist struggle. I hope they can find revolutionary success. Until that day, this has been andrew sage of Andrewism. It could happen here given the historical context of anarchism in Chile. Where am I to go next? Hopefully far? All power to all the people of peace?
Speaker 11: Hi, Hi, everyone to it could happen here. It's me James today and I'm joined by Sharen and also Almato, who was a volunteer. Was father a non violent protective presence volunteer in Palestine.
Speaker 8: How are you doing today?
Speaker 12: I'm good?
Speaker 10: Thank you, Yeah, thanks so much for being here.
Speaker 11: Yeah, yeah, we appreciate it. So we met through a mutual friend who is also a volunteer with you. And the reason that that frame contacted me was that unfortunately the IDF shot you. And that's obviously a pretty shitty situation. And would you be okay with just beginning by recounting the incident. I don't know if that's something you're okay going back to, just because I think the fucking wantonness of the violence is so stark that I think it might help people to hear it.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 13: So I volunteered with FAZA and we go to a demonstration in Beta every Friday. The aim is to go back to their land was stolen from them. I think there's a settlement called Avatar Avtar on the Palestinian land and their aim is just to go back to it and plant the Palatini your flag. So we get there and they're doing Juma prayer and then after Duma prayer is when they start chanting, so like not even it was like between five to ten minutes when they started shooting tear gas at us. You're in the prey after the prayer, after the prayer, yeah, So the prayer went without an incident, and then afterwards was when they shot tear gas at us, multiple tear gas canisters, and then once they started firing live rounds. We hid behind a concrete wall. Tear gas still being shot at us, and then live rounds as well. You could see the dust coming off of the concrete walls as they shot. And then once it seemed like they were coming down from the tower, I think Palestines were running because they thought they were coming, so we ran and we went over a concrete wall. We ran for I don't even know how long, but once we got to a clearing and they thought it was safe, we regrouped with everyone. So the road going up to where we were there were Palestinians still running down. There's palestinian is running to the right, and we just waited maybe thirty seconds, and then someone told us to go, so we ran with them, and then we got to rest for like five minutes, had a quick smoke coffee, some people had teeth. But then some Palestines were moving towards the street to our right, so we followed them, a couple of us and some of them stayed. And as we were approaching there, this was the road that went straight up to the watchtower. We saw them on before, so there was still some tear guys shot at us and some live rounds as well, but we saw them actually coming down from the tower this time, and before you know they even drove down, there was Palestines to our left that were running. So whenever we see them running, we know that it's a threat they think may be fatal, so we're running. We actually could run to the Alli grows behind us. And as we were running, just making sure all my comrades were good, I hear a loud bang and then I feel a pain in my leg. I thought it was like a tear gas canister that hit my leg because it just felt like a blunt force, but I've never felt that pain before, and one of my comrades were helping me up while I was still running and limping. And then finally once we got to a clearing, that's when all the palestins ran to me and carried me away to the pickup truck, which then went to the health clinic or the emergency clinic in Beta.
Speaker 12: After that, the army.
Speaker 13: Trucks blocked our away while I was in the ambulance when I was transferred, and then there's two checkpoints afterwards, and the two checkpoints they demanded to see who was inside, which delayed my care further. And then finally getting to Rafitia Hospital, Jesus swept fucking hell.
Speaker 10: Classic of them to block the ambulance for so many times.
Speaker 11: It's yeah, yeah, yeah, And I'm really glad that it wasn't like an arteriobled or something when that time would have been a life and death.
Speaker 8: Yeah, those minutes, right, it's a really good point.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 13: I was smiling because I was like, I don't know what just happened to me, but I'm hope, I hope I'm okay, And also I know I'm here for Palestine, so you know, yeah, I kept smiling, but I didn't know what was happening. And thankfully it was no artery or bone, so I was very late.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and do you know what right for your show with? Because I know they sometimes used like smaller calibers for crowd control.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 12: From what I heard was sixteen American name.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 8: So yeah, they're just really game for it. Un believable. I'm glad you're okay.
Speaker 11: I like, just we spoke about this before, but just so listeners, like, you're healing up, you feel like you're on the path to at least physical recovery.
Speaker 13: Yeah, absolutely, Like, uh, So I got shot and one week later I went from wheelchair, the crutches, the cane. I'm still in the cane, but I can move around pretty well like indoors. Like when I'm outside. I have to use the cane because my leg buckles and the hole in the front bagsit wound is still healing. It's not fully closed yet, but a lot better.
Speaker 10: Did the bullet go straight through?
Speaker 13: Yeah, I went straight through, no fragments. I believe they had to do surgery to stitch me up, but also to take the dead tissue out and I think they had to put together some muscles as well.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Jesus.
Speaker 11: So, like I want to talk about a couple of things regarding this. First of all, I think like a uusit in Yeah. Yeah, so like a foreign military shot at US citizen right as you're a no senator representative. Any of these people who are supposed to give a single fuck about this like reached out to you.
Speaker 12: Now, so it was just the embassy.
Speaker 13: The embassy didn't contact us, maybe the same day I was shot just a little bit later, but no representatives here in the United States have reached out to me.
Speaker 11: Yeah, that's pretty reprehensible. Yeah, do you want to give people a representive? Who those might be? I don't want to like dox you and where you live, but.
Speaker 12: I'm in Jersey City.
Speaker 13: There is a vacancy actually for one of the representatives, so that is one reason why. But the other ones, yeah, Jersey senators, local politicians, nobody has reached out.
Speaker 8: Yeah, nobody's reached out.
Speaker 11: Yeah, And I think, like we said this again before, but like it's not that your leg is more important than someone's child's life in Gaza, right, Like that's I don't want to imply that for a second, but like, yeah, you know, the assist of states as it is today works in a certain way, and in theory, those people should care about you. And like, I think it really gets us to something else I wanted to talk about, which is that like the existence of Palestine, like as as it is today and as it wishes to be in the future, much like you know other places I've worked in Kurdistan, in the liberated parts of Myanmar, is a threat to the system of states and governments as it exists today. And like, at some point you decided that the government and right into your senator or whatever tweeting people do wasn't enough or wasn't going to work, and you decided that, like you wanted to put your body in between the people trying to kill the people and then people trying to survive. So can you talk us through that journey? Like have you always been invested in in the Palestinian cause?
Speaker 8: Is it something that you became aware of at some point?
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 13: So I'm part of the Philippine Movement on a Bayon part of Bayon and the National Democratic Movement in the Philippines, So through them I was in contact and collaboration with Palestinians, and that's when I started to understand Palestinian struggle. And actually I was at the protest in New York recently, and it came full circle because Nerdane within our lifetime, stated that she actually started it because of the National Democratic Movement and our work together and our studies. So because I also saw Palestinian standing for the liberation of the Philippines, we always had that connection or I had that connection with Palestinians, and it grew over time, and the escalation of October seventh really had me just disregulated because I'm a teacher in Jersey and for the first few months it was so hard for me to It was like I was just going on autopilot because how could we, you know, just go on with our daily lives seeing this these atrocities happening every day.
Speaker 12: And once it was the end of the year, it was hot.
Speaker 13: A smoking cigarette, I put my CAFA on the gate outside of our school and then I came out because I had to bring the snacks in for my students for the last week of school and it was gone, so I had to buy another one, and when I did, it came with a really beautiful handwritten postcard from Palestine and it was just talking about thank you for supporting us through these difficult times. And then it's had invitation to visit. So that was what prompted me to like research and ask other friends in the movement, and then they told me about FASA, and then I took the orientation and training and I went over during my summer break.
Speaker 11: Yeah, great, to ease your summer, We'll just stop for some advertisements here and then come back.
Speaker 8: We are back.
Speaker 11: Unfortunately you've had toism to some advert so hopefully you've skipped them. So I wanted to ask about like that journey, the journey to Palestine. Now, I imagine it's very difficult, and like how did it feel. I guess like this is a cause you've been invested in for some time, right, and then you've seen these horrific things, and then suddenly you're on the ground, like was to be in solidarity with people like I know my experience at the border has been that, Like, I would much rather be like in it, even if it's terrible, than at home seeing pictures of it.
Speaker 8: I wonder how it was for you.
Speaker 13: Yeah, for me, I've always just wanted to visit Palestine, and I want to be in solidarity with the Palestinian people. As a Filipino American, I've seen Palestine's there the support of Filipinos. I've been there in the streets with them, you know, when they supported Americans, the black Americans, you know, against police brutality. So it just felt like a duty as an organizer, as a revolutionary to you know, show the same solidarity back, as well as knowing that I'll be in a beautiful place with beautiful people under horrible circumstances.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I wish more people.
Speaker 11: And it's not just Palestine, right, we have these revolutions that we talk about in these causes that we talk about, like and I understand it's not always easy. People have commitments financial and interpersonal, and but like, if you can go, you should go.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Do you feel like your solidarity grew because you experienced solidarity in return? Right, like somebody ran towards gunfire to pick you up at some point? Do you feel like a more profound sense of solidarity after that experience, having also experienced like setle colonial violence.
Speaker 12: I guess absolutely.
Speaker 13: It's like you know, before I'm talking about it, we talk about in circles, and I did have the privilege to be able to go. You know, you're not a lot of people have the financial ability, mental ability, physical capabilities. So I'm lucky on that end as well. But if one is willing and able in all those different aspects, they should go if they can, especially during all of the harvest right now, which is an escalation of settler violence that we've seen recently, and even the Israeli army.
Speaker 12: So I get updates from.
Speaker 13: Kuspa right now and I just see everything that's happening still, and I know all of harvest is a huge economic thing for the Palestinians. So yeah, it'd be great for anyone that's able to go.
Speaker 10: Yeah, leading up to you getting shot and maybe after, can you describe maybe what the environment was like like on the ground, how people were living your experiences with the idea of me before that, Like, can you just walk us through what that was like on the ground.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 13: So my first day there, I was in and we were just getting the money that we need. We got some groceries I believe I had. I only had like two pairs of clothes I packed leg and then we had dinner with the Palestinia. Family, very beautiful collective dinner and when you have lunch or dinner there, you know, it's not like a quick thirty minutes and you're gone. You're there for like three hours. Even if we have different language barriers. It's just very beautiful culture and people. And then I get shot the second day.
Speaker 14: The second day good, yeah, yeah, so second full day, and so I think I was the first person shot at a demonstration there.
Speaker 13: So people were ready for I guess the usual tear gas and live rounds, but I don't think anyone is expecting anyone to get shot that day, including me. But yeah, so I was healing in the hospital, I heard the Israeli army came into Kusra, and you know, we had the amount of people we had on the ground, and one person had to kind of stay around me. So I was scared and feared for my people over there. And then another day goes by, the next day after that, I'm back in town, and then there was reports of a seller that was killed, and then we heard that all the settlements there was a call to attack Cusra. So right when I get back, we're already on Hylert. We're watching making sure nothing was happening. Thankfully, nothing did to happen that day, but then, yeah, it happens like every other day where either the Israeli army comes in or settler's attack in Kusra. We also try to open the gate between the town, because the Israeli Army put a gate between the town so people can't travel with you know, within the town, and we tried opening it, but they have the key, and a peaceful demonstration turned into the IDF or the IOF coming with like twelve soldiers intimidating folks, loading up some kind of automatic weapon pointing tear gas. At a few days after that, they came into town at night shot up the town. A few days after that, Israeli army was guarding settlers really close to town, were actually in town.
Speaker 12: And then a couple.
Speaker 13: Of days after that too, I think one of the last days I was there, they raided the town. They shot like twelve tear gas canisters like two to three, like flash bangs, and then like three live rounds and they shot a boy in the back. Thankfully he's also okay. And then after I left, settlers attacked international volunteers, US citizens as well with rocks and Dioeft shot like five other Palestinians as well.
Speaker 12: So it's just continual violence. You know. What I faced that one day is what they face every day.
Speaker 11: Yeah, yeah, yeah, and like they go and get to go home like it it's at home. Can you explain for people who aren't familiar, right? I think a lot of people have come into solidarity with Palestine in the last eleven months, which is fine. You don't have to know like textbooks of history to be like genocide is bad.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 11: So, like you're in the West Bank, right, can you explain where that lies in relation to Gaza and what is happening in the West Bank, especially right now in the last few days and weeks. That is extremely concerning and I don't know how to fred it like terrible.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 13: So the decimation of Gaza on Israel's end is a response to October seventh escalation, even though October seventh was a response to, however, many decades of oppression that they've faced. So Gaza is being decimated, but Israel wants more land, the greater Israel that they've been advertising. Settlers want to move into Gaza. Settlers want to continue to move into West Bank, the West Bank. Also from reports, Israel gave authority or something of being able to get more land, which is Palestinian land. So what kind of authority do they have over that all the legal settlements, But they're trying to just take all the land that they can get, whether it's in Gaza, whether it's in West Bank. So they're obviously connected because it is Palestine. But now they're just going into the West Bank because there's further resistance now as well, and there has always been just a lot more quiet than Gaza at the moment because I guess of the government that's over them in Palestinian authority. But yeah, it's all connected and they want to just squash any kind of resistance there is, whether it's in the West Bank and Gaza, as well as just trying to take as much land as possible before international intervention happens, which we haven't seen because the US continues to supply weapons and arms to Israel.
Speaker 11: Yeah, apparently what happened to you isn't going to stop that like nothing else is, I know, what is just for people who aren't familiar, the West Banks are much larger geographical area.
Speaker 8: Bank refers to the Jordan River.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 11: Setl colonialism is a term that people are familiar with, right, like, and it happens, it's not. I'm not saying it doesn't happen in America because it still happens every day. Like there, It's a process that we continue to create. It's not one that stops in nineteenth century, right. I don't want imply that, but like where you were is the bleeding edge of Setla colonialism.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 11: It's a family being kicked out of their house. It's people not being allowed to go back to their homes. Do you have a sense of like what does that look like? Because it's incredibly violent, right, and incredibly inhumane. No reasonable person would think that like, oh yeah, this seems normal and cool. Can you explain, like perhaps how that would appear for one family or for the farm or the village.
Speaker 13: So in Kusra, there has been a good amount of resistance even before October seventh from the leaders.
Speaker 12: There and the community.
Speaker 13: But even with that, three months before it looked like settlers coming into town, a whole wave of them burning eleven houses.
Speaker 12: I believe it was cars.
Speaker 13: Attacking people with Israeli army there not stopping anything. I believe it was Muskvaryata, where other activists are, where they literally come to the land say this is ours, try to destroy instructure.
Speaker 12: Like water wells.
Speaker 13: They come in and literally say God told me this is my land, and I'm here and try to settle there. There's I guess I saw a place where the Israeli occupation forces would guard around a mosque, not for the Muslims there, but for settlers to come in and pretty much making a synagogue for however long.
Speaker 12: It looks like someone coming in and claiming.
Speaker 13: That your home is theirs and destroying any infrastructure so you don't come back, whether it's the home, the streets, water, whatever it is.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I keep thinking about like one, how much it didn't matter that you were American. But I keep thinking about Rachel cor and how maybe that was the most like egregious recent example I can think of of an American citizen. I think she was twenty three when she died, got run over by a fucking bulldozer from the iof nothing happened. Her parents are still trying to remind the world what happened, like year after year, and so it's not surprising to me that no one reached out to you and that there is no outrage. But it's just really frustrating that it really doesn't matter, like it you could have, like you could have lost your life and no one would have bad an eye in government. Like it really really just makes my blood boil because it's I don't know, That's what I've been thinking about for a tiny bit. It just reminded me of that and how there's a protection being American where you're on the ground in Palestine at all.
Speaker 13: Yeah, when we're there, our power comes from having a passport somewhere else and our phone. Right why we go there to volunteer to create a buffer between the Israeli army settlers and the Palestinians. And it shows their complete disregard the caveat there is that they said it was a mistake, which they went straight through my leg, So I don't know what kind of mistake goes straight through my leg. But also someone was arrested and heard that they thought I was Palestinian, So it just shows even more so the complete disregard for Palestinian life, whether they thought I was or not, that they would just shoot me. And yes, there was two US citizens that were recently attacked by settlers and the IOF did not do anything, you know, only a little bit after they said, you know, stop throwing rocks, but the damage is done. Yeah, our government has complete disregard for Palestinian lives because there was also a lot of Palestinian Americans that have been dead. Ye, and our lives are my life or others that are just American with another nationality have you know, I guess a little bit more value in their eyes. But because they don't want outrage, international outrage. But yeah, our government they haven't reached out to me, which showcases that they don't care about US citizens that support Palestine. Even Biden said that, you know, if a US citizen got hurt, you would do something, and nothing has happened.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think it's kind of illustrative, right, Like we're supposed to live in a democracy, and like here they are like choosing the interests of a state to do what is extremely clearly and like it's very widely agreed upon illegal, and to do so in a genocilal manner, and they're going to back that over your right to not be shot in the leg.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 10: I do think it's it's funny maybe that's not the right word, but the fact that they thought you were a Palestinian, as if that was a good enough excuse to shoot.
Speaker 8: Yeah yeah, yeah, oh oh oh.
Speaker 10: That explains it, of course, Like okay, sure that makes me so so mad.
Speaker 11: Yeah, absolutely, yeah, God, we mistook that person for a person whose life doesn't matter.
Speaker 10: Like, yeah, it's shameful.
Speaker 8: You know what, you're really giving it away?
Speaker 11: Yeah, And I think, like, I know, it seemed to me that our government is not going to solve this, right, like it realistically in the election, you know, there are third parties and stuff. I'm going to vote for someone who said nice things about a Sade, but like, you don't have a box you can take that will make this stop in November, right, And the only way we can do anything is with solidarity. So like, what do people do? Like how you've been there, you've seen it, Like, how do people most effectively be in solidarity?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 13: I think the biggest thing is national pressure that we've seen all across the globe, which has showcased some results in other countries not here, where arms exports are actually at least some are being banned or restricted all together. But here, I think it's continuing to build up anti impeerless organizations like on By and like the many pro Palestinian organizations, like many revolutionary Black organizations, and then uniting and come in together to create a power that is beyond the two party system and uniting with everyone that is pro Palestinian that does want to see true democracy in the United States and all across the globe. Because I was one person and people call me a hero, but for me, the Palestines face this every day, the heroes, and we should be uniting to support them in their liberation. And sometimes it looks like building those organizations. Sometimes it also looks like going to Palestine and joining things like FAZA, like International Solidarity Mission to you know, be a buffer as much as we can, even though it's showcased that they don't care. And I think when we unify, we would be able to pressure, especially when we have good organizations, to pressure elected officials to really divest from the two party system and people that support genocide and have that pressure amount to more than the lobby for Israel or you know, people lobbying for arms for Israel, to have that outweigh the pressure financially that they have politicians.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's very informative and really appreciate sharing your experience. Yeah, thank you for all the work you do.
Speaker 11: People might want to support your healing, they might want to support father, they might want to support international diary mission, they might want to find out more about how they can be that buffer. Do you have any suggestions on where people could do any of those or all of those things.
Speaker 13: Oh, I don't have a personal fund right now, which is fine going back to work teaching, but there are people that need funds to be able to participate, especially during the all of the harvest. So following a Faza faz three a underscore pa L is somewhere to follow, as well as Defend Palestine dot org. They're both connected, so you can follow the news on what's happening on the ground as well as I believe contacting them. There's a general fund for folks that want to travel to Palestine but are not able to, so there's a general fun for that in the future. My friend was going to make a T shirt to help fund the Palestinian Ambulance Center over there that I got a first aid training with Amado Sison on there. So I don't know if it'll work here, but over there desnin'tly. So there's a lot of different things. I know there's the different camps that are being raided right now. I think there's some fundraisers for them as well. In Gaza there's plenty too. But in any way that people can contribute to any of those things, you know, it always goes a long way for them.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and that's pretty great.
Speaker 11: Thank you, Tarantia. You wanted to say to people a mother before we finish up.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I hope that one day, folks, persons listening right now, if you're capable and able to join up to see the beauty of Palestine. The landscape, it's gorgeous outside of the settlement. The people are so loving and caring, and the culture is just amazing. And I just hope that you will be able to see Palestine one day, whether it is to be in solidarity with them as a protective presence or just to see it. And hopefully one day in Shallah it's free and we are all.
Speaker 12: Able to visit.
Speaker 2: So hey, we'll be back Monday with more episodes every week from now until the heat death of the Universe.
Speaker 1: It could happen here as a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts, you can find sources for It could happen here, updated monthly at cool zonemedia dot com slash sources.
Speaker 10: Thanks for listening.