Speaker 1: From UFOs to psychic powers and government conspiracies. History is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn this stuff they don't want you to know. A production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hello, welcome back to the show. My name is Matt, my name is Noah.
Speaker 3: They called me Ben. We're joined as always with our super producer Dylan the Tennessee pal Fagan. Most importantly, you are you. You are here. That makes this the stuff they don't want you to know. Fellow conspiracy realist, if you are tuning in to our strange news program the Evening It publishes, let us be the first to welcome you to Monday, June ninth, twenty twenty five. Oh, we're still at the beginning of June. Guys, do we have any life lessons from our time spent in May?
Speaker 4: I know, I know it had to be May. That's all.
Speaker 5: I Just try your absolute best to stay away from Georgia Pollin because my god, well we went through May and in April.
Speaker 4: Just cover it touches.
Speaker 3: It's almost as though the climate is changing a little bit, or maybe we're getting old. I had a little life advice for anybody. This may come in handy for a certain percentage of our demographic. This is not news. But folks, if you are doing a persona in an unfamiliar situation, be very everybody thinks about appearance, but be very careful with your voice and your cadence. Because I got made.
Speaker 6: Yeah may he told us that off air, it's always cool to get voice clocked.
Speaker 4: Happened to me as well. I was getting a tattoo.
Speaker 6: And guys, did you see that Joey Fatone in Saints speaking of It's got to be in May is shilling for a red lobster. Now, yeah, I did not, Man, great, I saw. You know how all the social media's of these big restaurant chains try to get real cute, and so they're doing a campaign where it looks like a Tiger Beat magazine cover, but it's Joey Fatone just housing fried shrimp and just shilling for nineteen ninety nine endless shrimp for reading.
Speaker 3: I love that, and you know those chains need the help right now. We didn't have this for strange news, but McDonald's has suffered the worst US sales decline in five years, and they're they're blaming it on anti American sentiment and not the fact that the ice cream is always broken and the food stuff that.
Speaker 4: Cot well, I think they fixed the ice cream problem. They they made so.
Speaker 7: Music conspiracy with the third party, not exactly.
Speaker 6: But also I don't know if you go to mc I go to McDonald's every now, and they just won in my house, and they really are pushing this like are you gonna use your points today?
Speaker 4: And I just want to yeah, get that.
Speaker 2: Know.
Speaker 6: I think most people probably say no, but they ask you verbally every single time, So that seems a little desperate to me.
Speaker 4: That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean because then massive data collection can become an entirely new revenue stream. Also, I didn't know this. Guys. Remember Rob Thomas, He's a fan of a show that we work with called Wrongful Conviction. Oh cool, of course, just mentioning people in that musician mill you. But maybe, look, we have a lot that we're going to touch on. We're going to talk some dangerous stuff about Disney. We are going to have some updates from jail videos and the FBI, some talk about our favorite New York City mayor. Before we do any of that, maybe we pause for a word from our sponsors and then follow up on this concept of mass collection of data as a revenue stream. I'm here for it, and we have return heard our first non McDonald's story this evening. You may have heard of a little group called Pallenteer p A l A N t R. Now we've talked about these guys a little bit in the past. Correct, mm hmmm.
Speaker 6: Only I clearly didn't get the memo because I really didn't realize exactly how evil they were until you brought this up just now, Ben.
Speaker 3: Oh, well, their actions are evil for sure. And we were talking offline and you said, yeah, the stock.
Speaker 4: Is actually doing very I didn't know. Someone just I've got a couple of Stock friends that were just like, you should get in on this thing.
Speaker 6: It's you know, whatever data, you know, brokering or whatever. And I just knew the basics of it. But now I'm feeling very on the fence about holding this, so I may just let it go, even though, yes, Ben, it is doing very well.
Speaker 3: Well. It maybe because they're citing more and more quite lucrative government contracts. The head line here. We could go to the New Republic for this one. This went live on May thirtieth, but people already knew what was happening. The current US presidential administration is tapping the tech giant Palenteer to create a master database on every single American. And this article we're recommending comes from the journalist Hafiz Rashid. But before we get into this particular dystopia, let's go ahead and note a brief background of Palenteer. So Palenteer is what you would call a data and analytics company similar to Cambridge Analytica. Check out our episodes on that. It was co founded by the current president and a big campaign donor named Peter Teel. And what they're doing right now is really streamlining and aggregating. If you live in the US, you are already we joke about being on a list, right, but you're already on so many lists. Not all of them are bad. There's just this pedopoly of government databases that already have information about you know, your bank account number, your medical claims, disabilities, student loan debts. It's just not in one central place. So now Pallunteer, the stock price might go up because they are going to create a master database. This comes to us from the New York Times as well, which originally broke the story, So let's make sure to shout out the journalist Shira Frankel and Aaron Krolik. This dates back to March when the current administration signed in executive order the EO, the superpower of the President said, look, federal government share data across agencies and this is worrisome before for a lot of people. Before we go into more of than nitty gritty, what's your initial reaction. Do you think a private tech company should be tapped to create this master list of everyone's everything?
Speaker 6: No, boys, that line gotten blurred between private and public.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's one vote against.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I'm for it, guys, what vote I think it's I think is very strange the way all of this is happening and being rolled out, because it is it's a government. It's government money to the tune of what almost eight hundred million, like or it's close to that, like eight hundred million dollars.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's counting. It's a little over because there was a do D contract for seven hundred and ninety five million that Palenteer got, and then before then, since the beginning of the current administration, Palnteer got more than a little north of one hundred and thirteen million. Good.
Speaker 2: So, okay, so they're taking in all this money, right, they're a private company. They have a piece of software, right that basically is this data aggregation thing holding all of this data, separating it out, being able to search it, right and house it. That's what is it foundry foundry. Okay, so they've got this thing. So theoretically what they're doing. All they're doing is just going out and talking to the other agencies, right, just saying, hey, you should use our stuff too, guys, Department of Homeland Security, you're already using our stuff. Thanks. And they've got a couple others, right, But then they're going to all the other places like medicare selective service. So it is, I don't know, it doesn't feel like the nefarious act of building this giant database. It feels like a private company just trying to get there. They're a version of Adobe software in everywhere or you know.
Speaker 3: All right, so that's a vote for it.
Speaker 6: You're just saying, it's not much different than a lot of third party companies whose bread and butter are like these suites of tools that giant corporations end up going all in behind like.
Speaker 2: They want to everybody have the enterprise version.
Speaker 3: That's right, Like Microsoft does not care if you buy an Xbox, you know what I mean, that's not where they make their money.
Speaker 2: But how many of those companies use like Windows right, right?
Speaker 4: Exactly?
Speaker 3: How many? How many companies use you know, as you said, enterprise software sort of like a lot of auto or vehicle or construction manufacturers make money off fleet deals, right, make money off government contracts. You know, it's not gonna it's not going to screw them over if you wait a year to buy your camera.
Speaker 2: Yes, right, oh so oh just on that too. I'm sorry, I don't mean to do realist please. Something that's weird that I never really thought about. Guys, most vehicles that are you know, pass a certain year have a little thing attached to the rear view mirror that opens garages, and almost all of them are the exact same thing.
Speaker 3: Flipper zero is entered the chat said, you're gonna be cool.
Speaker 4: It's really creepy.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, because you can program each one of those things to anything that can project a signal out that opens garage doors and all. It's all the same.
Speaker 3: Tech and the active monitoring right now, insurance companies. Privatized car insurance companies are giving people opt in methods to save a little scratch as long as you agree to constant monitoring and surveillance. I'm anti surveillance, and I think the argument that if you're doing nothing wrong, you should have nothing to worry about is intellectually fraudulent. It is purposely misleading. So how long before it becomes an opt out thing that you pay extra or will people simply skip that step? In every car manufactured after insert year here is required to have that constant monitoring for security and safety purposes, You guys, security and safety the waymos are already expanding through Atlanta?
Speaker 4: Are they really really?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I saw one. I saw it in the wild, and you know what, it almost screwed up at a crosswalk. I'm sure the technology will get back.
Speaker 6: Well, that's the thing though. That's interesting. I heard a conversation on a podcast or a YouTube show recently where Weymo's been at this for a long time and they're still not great. Whereas Tesla is about to unleash their cyber taxis on the world, and they're not using infrared or whatever it is laser technology.
Speaker 4: They're just using low pixel.
Speaker 6: Count cameras and they haven't really road tested these, and we already know the problems with their self driving stuff and how self driving has been promised and even their flagship vehicles and never fully rolled out as self driving. So Elon Musk, like, in an effort to appease stockholders or you know, finally keep a promise, is doing this with the cyber taxis. And to your point, Ben, the Waimos, there's always stories coming out about how they're not great and they use much higher tech and have been testing for much longer on actual roads.
Speaker 3: And in their defense, I don't like the phrase Devil's advocate. I did rewatch the film good. The monologues are great, the ending needs some work, but yeah, I love it. I love it. I've got a word for doing that monologue years back. But the point I want to make in their defense is that, you know, we have to remember it took humans thousands and thousands of years of trying to fly and then immediately dying for someone to invent a plane. So maybe we're a plane that didn't kill you automatically, So maybe we're we're seeing another progression in that way. But we've talked about the danger of autonomous vehicles, not necessarily just in terms of technology, but in terms of what humans do with that technology, that surveillance, that ability to shut down a grid during a protest such that no one can drive away right or drive toward a situation or a conflict. This is one of the big concerns. This pollunteer thing happens with a context wherein people are legitimate US residents and being deported right even with guilt by association, like a family that recently got deported. We're seeing the massive unforced error we would call that and go the unforced error of creating brain drain in the United States by deporting international students who legally reside there. We're also seeing the palateer program happening in step with the recent report that ICE has accessed a nationwide license plate network, which means there's further surveillance by ICE.
Speaker 6: We also, I mean, I don't know if you guys have ever gotten one of those robotickets where they just snap your license plate and then you get something in the mail. I mean that tech freaks me out and I find it inconvenient. Boy, is it ever hard to contest and there's going to come a point where these things are impossible to contest. Not to mention, the way ICE is scooping up people. Contesting is sort of not even part of that deal, at least as far as some of the people in power would like it.
Speaker 3: And I want to stay yeah, I hear you. I want to stick with this ICE story because the news will probably get exaggerated or get spin depending upon who who is reporting it or what source. Folks who are supportive of ICE are going to say, you know, this is ensuring safety, this is helping us with new tools to find the bad guys. Folks who are opponents of ICE or the current methods of that organization are going to say this is further government overreach and what whatever the justifications may be, it will be used for something nefarious or perhaps indeed unconstitutional in the future. So it's important to know the facts. ICE has indirectly accessed an outfit called Flock Safety, and they're doing this by mass requesting searches through local and state law enforcement agencies. Just like the past year, there have been more than four thousand immigration related lookups, which means someone doesn't necessarily even have a moving violation they just get their license clocked. And now imagine that feeding in to the palanteer eye of soro on right, and now imagine all the variables you can use to target someone you know. Okay, first it was people who were illegally in the United States, that part is true. But then it becomes people who are not US citizens but are legal residents of the United States, like kids on a on a student visa. And then what comes next? Do we get to people who are part of the culture war demographic targets like LGBTQ. Does it does it stop? What happens to the professors? Right? Does it go further to the professors? How long do we have you guys, it's podcasters. They'll get Robert Evans first.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well, at least before us. Do we think the ISPs and like verizons and t mobiles of the world are also caught up in all this stuff already because of the previous stuff we've talked about, so it right now, it's like, if you drive a vehicle, your vehicle gets scanned by this flock safety thing. If you've got a license plate, even if you don't have a license plate, you've got a specific dealer plate or something. It's got numbers on it can be tracked. Then you're if you're using your cellular device that's being tracked, which people.
Speaker 6: Are all using for data all the time. So there's tons of stuff flowing through those networks, right.
Speaker 2: Well, then that number is probably connected to one or more of those databases you're talking about. Ben So then it literally, it literally is aggregated everything. It's what's that movie we always talk about, Minority Reports, that's.
Speaker 3: The minority Yeah, the pre crime calculation. Yeah, shout out with Dart. And the thing is, we don't we don't need cinematic sci fi dystopia to explain nefarious actions as as they occur. Uh, Dystopian society grows gradually one time. You know, one day, you rarely get a sudden moment of revelation. You turn around one day and you're older than you thought you would be, and you don't recognize the place you live in anymore.
Speaker 4: It's not that's how it happens. It's not how we experience time. It's just kind of like a frog boiling at.
Speaker 2: This situation, right, Y'll be terrifying that there was a dystopia button. I mean, I guess nuclear all nuclear war is the dystopia button.
Speaker 7: Other than that, it's defined by future historians, and that effect or that moment is often achieved in fiction or science fiction with the narrative device of time travel, where someone steps out of a portal and everything's all.
Speaker 4: Ft up, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but it usually takes the later work of scholars and historians totally, and whomever owns the current prevailing Zeitgeister narrative, it takes them to look back and say, you know, this is the moment Franz Ferdinand, when Franz Ferdinand was assassin with.
Speaker 4: The band Okay, people were.
Speaker 3: Saying, yeah, when the Black Hand assassinated Franz Ferdinand. People newspaper reports at the time where of course running the story, but they were running other stories too. You know. There was a guy who's like, no, the way the world's going to end is all these people wanting balustrades. The balustrade industry simply can't meet the demand of all these people by balustrades. And someone was like, I don't know, both sides are correct.
Speaker 6: Archduke kind of became the hot button thing through revisionist history, or rather like an assessment of history and trying to boil it down to an understandable narrative.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, functions thereof you know, and if we're talking about I don't want to go too lower this. If we're talking about those apocalyptic moments. One thing we've seen often in this show is not just apocalyptic moments defined by human society, but defined by the actions of the natural world. So if we continue this podcast for the next fifteen human years, we may have a follow up to a study that recently published that says toxic fungui will or fungi your choicers are your own, will threaten millions of lives within within that timeframe, within fifteen years. This is of course on par with other predictions. Whenever I read news like this, guys, I just can't help but think of that time everybody told us we were crazy and controversial for pointing out neo nikotinoid's damaging effects on honeybee populations, and it turned out we were right, or the people who did the studies were right. They were just ignored. So if you want to read more about that, go to Popular Mechanics excellent article by Darren Orf, who's citing the latest studies when his work and apocalypse of toxic fungi could threaten millions of lives within fifteen years. We're going to pause for word from our sponsors. We want to hear your thoughts on mass surveillance, human political apocalypses or natural still human created apocalypses. Yeah, have a great type at the abreak. We'll be back with more strange news. No, look, can we go to Disney.
Speaker 4: Boy, let's do it. Let's go to Disneyland.
Speaker 6: And we've returned and we've got our Mickey Matt or Mini whichever you know, dealer's choice, hats on and eaten some I don't know, themed ice cream of some sort, perhaps also mouse shaped, and we're seeing that beautiful vista of the Cinderella's Castle on the horizon. We're just full of wonder and joy as we walk into Disneyland or.
Speaker 3: World side note I do I do fondly recall one of those videos where we did where you know, use the phrase iced creams iced cream.
Speaker 6: I think I probably stold the over annunciation from my buddy Matt Berry don't actually know him, would love to huge fan. But disney Land, World, the Magic Kingdom, whichever you prefer whichever one is more in your neck of the woods. Has long been an innovator in theme park technology. Let's just say early versions of these theme parks, or Disneyland, let's just say the very first one, have incorporated cutting edge for the time animatronics, some of which the vintage versions have stuck around, like the Country Bear Jamboree.
Speaker 4: I think they only just recently retired.
Speaker 6: That one, but either when I was in Disneyland not too too long ago, a couple of years ago, I got to see that, and I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 4: It's no longer there. But a lot of.
Speaker 6: Fun, a lot of kind of weird, uncanny Valley Chuck e Cheese esque, but a little bit you know better animatronics. We also, of course know about the Hall of Presidents, where you can see your favorite presidents personified through robotic forms, including Abraham Lincoln, who gives little you know excerpts from his Gettysburg address. Well, the Walt Disney Company, which of course now owns Star Wars, Disney a ton of other properties as well, like all of the Pixar stuff that's all.
Speaker 4: Under this umbrella. Now you can stream it all on Disney Plus. Not an ad.
Speaker 6: They and their leadership, Bob iger Is, the CEO of Disney, are getting criticized pretty hardcore by relatives of the late Walt Disney for their decision to roll out an exhibit, an animatronic exhibit in Anaheim and Disneyland, an experience. They call it the Imagineers, wherein people will be able to hang out with an animatronic representation of Walt Disney himself. The experience was described at the D twenty three event is where Disney kind of rolls out their slates and all of their new theme park stuff last summer, described as being able to experience what.
Speaker 4: It would have been like to be in Walt's presence.
Speaker 6: However, Walt Disney's granddaughter is super super non on board with this and says Walt wouldn't have been either. Joanna Miller, in a Facebook post recently in the last couple of days, called the the idea of this a robot imposter and warned that Disney execs were dehumanizing the memory of her grandfather. She goes on to say and her post, people are not replaceable. You cannot add life to a robot empty of a soul or essence of the man, I think that's fascinating on a couple of fronts, because of course Disney did pioneer animatronics, and they, you know, Walt Disney was all about that, and you know they've done it with presidents and every time there's a new president, I believe I'm not.
Speaker 4: Mistaken, they add it to the whole president's right.
Speaker 3: Well, they get in front of it too, which is why there's one that looks kind of trumpish, kind of glintonish. But I was asking that exact question off air, and I'm glad you brought it up here, like is it not? Could people not see that as somewhat hypocritical?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I have sensitivity for families of estates NOL. Do we know if this descendant of Walt himself is actively working in the company, because I think if that was the case, then they would never the conversation, would never have gotten this.
Speaker 6: If I'm not mistaken, the entire Disney family is no longer a decision making any I'm not sure if there are other survivors of the Disney line other than this granddaughter.
Speaker 4: And I apologize, but I think for.
Speaker 6: Our purposes here, I do know that there is no decision making power anymore coming from the Walt Disney family, which is why this is more point of protest and you know, bad taste being acknowledged than it is some kind of actionable item, because Joanna Miller in her post asked for people's support in helping convince the company in all caps to you know, scrap plans to do this abandon the robot of Grandpa, she says, most importantly, and this is I think the kicker here. That's very interesting and to your point, Ben, and what I was bringing up as well. Most importantly, I learned that Grandpa told Sam McKim, which I believe must have been an old colleague perhaps someone who was also once connected to the company, clearly a confidante, that he never wanted to be an animatronic. Marty Sklar, who was an early imagineer, a founder of this whole kind of division, I think, along with I Works, who is also a person who was very close to Disney and invented some very very important innovative devices and technologies and processes, all of which you can see by the way and the history at an incredible place that I probably pitched before on the show called the Disney Family Museum in San Francisco that is funded and or operated by the Walt Disney Family Trust.
Speaker 4: So that is a good example too of where.
Speaker 6: You can see their version of the memory of Waltz and his innovations. How that differs from the company line on all of that stuff. It's a really neat place. I do highly recommend you check it out. Marty Scalar taught the imagineers. She says he knew Grandpa's wishes. So the idea of a robotic Grandpa to give the public a feeling of who the living man was, which is the stated purpose of this exhibit. The idea literally that came from the statement about it at D twenty three just makes no sense. It would be an impost. They are dehumanizing him. People are not replaceable. You could never get the casualness of his talking, interacting with the camera, his excitement to show and tell people about what is new at the park, etc. You cannot add life to one empty of a soul or essence of the man knowing that he did not want this, having your predecessors tell you that this was out of bounds, so so sad and disappointed.
Speaker 4: It's extra interesting too.
Speaker 6: Considering that Bob Ayger's been mega under fire for some kind of not great decisions that have been made around their reboots of classic animated films that are beloved as these live action kind of I'm just gonna say where I land on it abominations, I would say that word is appropriate. Some of them are just kind of missing the point of what made the animated films good in the first place. And there's just that uncaddy valley ness of it all too. And the snow White rollout has obviously been plagued with catastrophe. It's the biggest bomb of any of these that they've ever put out, if I'm not mistaken. And the star Rachel Ziggler on the kind of press trail for that just made some really not great comments about the original version that alienated basically anybody that would have been into the movie, and nobody went and saw it. So this seems like another and a long line of kind of those kind of missteps by the Walt Disney Company and mister Bob. I here, what do you guys think that any thoughts of the contradictions here? Maybe, And like the obviously Disney was a huge innovator of animatronics, but that he himself did not want to be given that treatment.
Speaker 2: I wonder if Abraham Lincoln wanted exactly a guy, and like how you would have felt about that. I don't know. I think if you're going to have those things, having the guy that invented it in many ways or the guy that created it become one is actually kind of cool. But nowadays you don't really need that. You could just have a an AI generated version of him, right that uses his previous interviews, and that dude could show you around the park if you wanted to. That's cool, but that would probably be considered horrifying as well. But if that's horrifying for the guy that created this thing that led us down this path, then what are we doing?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I hear you on that, Matt. That that was my point too. You know, like, first, yes, we could argue a hypocritical but second it goes into some very logical considerations. I really appreciate you bringing up there because the philiposophical aspects we're bringing up here too. It touches on the idea of agency, Like when we're talked about that kerfuffle about purported AI George Carlin stuff exactly. So the question then is, I don't know. It's tough to parse because the primary issue is you can't ask Walt Disney about it. But to Matt's point, what if we made an AI emulator of Walt Disney with all the data we could collect and then ask that, right, asked Walt two point? Oh you felt about it, but it's only black mirror till it's real, you know.
Speaker 2: And that question is do you want a body?
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, and then.
Speaker 4: I want a body?
Speaker 3: Come on, how did you really feel about uh, you know, were you really anti semitic?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Geez, yeah, yeah, I opened that back of words. But this maybe I don't know, man like, who can who can make the call? Does the estate have the rights to Walt Disney's like that?
Speaker 4: I don't know. It's surely not. You know how lawyered up these companies would get.
Speaker 6: I mean, I don't think they would have put in the planning and made the announcement if they couldn't legally do it. So I think at this point it's just a protest thing and calling it the tasteless. And then of course the imagineers and the folks at Disney are defending it. It's interesting because when I went to Disney this last time for the first time in many years. At Epcott, they have this ride called Spaceship Earth, which is like this cool time traveling space ride that sort of shows you the one my.
Speaker 4: Founding of civilization exactly.
Speaker 6: And in my mind I was like, I swear there is a Walt Disney animatronic in that because it was so his thing. But there definitely isn't, uh and there never has been. And this is a that's why this is such a big deal. So hm, I don't know, it's it's it's a it's a it's a pickle.
Speaker 2: I guess what I think?
Speaker 3: Yeah, what do you think that?
Speaker 2: I think Disney needs to up their game.
Speaker 4: I remember what I was gonna say. Sorry, Matt, those do it.
Speaker 6: This is interesting too because of all the conspiracies around Walt Disney life extension stuff.
Speaker 4: And preserving them.
Speaker 6: And all that is kind of them trying to do that, keeping him alive in a way, but also his state representatives of it are not down with that. I'm so sorry, Matt.
Speaker 4: I was just trying.
Speaker 3: What were you thinking?
Speaker 2: That it's a way more realistic version of extending life than freezing some stuff.
Speaker 3: We know that the technology is just not there. It's just that it's because water expands at a certain tip. I'm not gonna do it. I'm not going to do it today.
Speaker 2: It's a whole thing. But uh, what I was gonna say is Disney's up their game. All of these theme parks are magical wonderlands, right. But my son just got back from Universal and they had a new one that I didn't even know existed. That's like Epic Universe or something.
Speaker 4: Brand new day a day or two old, I swear.
Speaker 2: But my son got to hang out in Donkey Kong Country and he was in it.
Speaker 4: And take my money.
Speaker 2: There's a Mario Kart joking, my god.
Speaker 4: I'm going, I'm going that's my stuff, dude. Oh that sounds amazing.
Speaker 3: There's a Nintendo World I think opening up in US pretty soon. I'm actually what I'm talking about. I think that's where that must be it because they that go to the one in Japan later because I guess.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I guess the Mario movie was under Universal, so that, yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 4: All I know is it's crazy cool.
Speaker 3: Folks, tell us your favorite and most unusual amusement or theme parks that you have visited. I am a big fan of amusement parks, especially the propagandistic ones in other countries.
Speaker 6: In Japan, there's like a Yokai themed amusement park, or maybe it's even.
Speaker 4: A whole city.
Speaker 3: I've been to the Kai town.
Speaker 4: Okay, that must be it.
Speaker 6: But then I also saw there's a poop themed amusement park that just I've heard of.
Speaker 3: It in Japan. I haven't been.
Speaker 6: It's about the wonders of sanitation. It's like got a message.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, you gotta have something that doesn't just say we're in dapu. Yeah right, yeah, and sanitations is important. To brillion people die every year due to lack of potable water, So I get it. But that's a great example there. It's as long as you can add this is for an important reason. At the very end of whatever weird thing you're doing, you can get a pass and you can make an amusement park. For sure. God, I want to hear about new and strange amusement parks we haven't visited yet. Gosh, that must be so new that what you call it epic universe?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was just ribbon cut like a week or two ago. So your your son got very lucky and getting to catch that so early. Are you serious?
Speaker 4: Look, I don't know.
Speaker 2: He was with his mom and they ended up there and he just told me all about.
Speaker 6: Also switch to Drop Day this week coming out on Friday, New Mario Kart, Mario Kart World Mario. It hasn't been a new Mario Kart in over a decade or at least a decade, So I'm pumped.
Speaker 3: That's awesome.
Speaker 6: Well, jeez, guys, we went we went on about Disney for a lot longer than I thought I did.
Speaker 4: Just want to little tie in story.
Speaker 6: David Zaslov, who's also another you know, CEO of entertainment Conglomo that's under fire and been under fire.
Speaker 3: Who full disclosure, we have met.
Speaker 6: We've met him, but he used to be the CEO of Discovery, you know, I'm sorry, still still is Warner Brothers Discovery, and we initially were acquired by Discovery. That was like right when I joined the company. And he is being sort of chastised by the board.
Speaker 4: The company's executives, who.
Speaker 6: Are who held a symbolic non binding vote against the executive payout package of around fifty more than rather fifty million dollars that he's due, so they're saying that he's not doing great at his decision making. All the debacle around HBO streaming HBO, HBO Max HBO Max HBO, we don't even know. It's bad, real bad dilution kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: Back of how yep BO.
Speaker 6: We've also seen a lot of backlash against some of their prized brands, like the House of the Dragons. The Game of Thrones spin off kind of had a little bit of a petering out in its audience because there were not that many episodes.
Speaker 4: It felt like they were cutting corners.
Speaker 6: So seasons have gotten a lot shorter, and most recently the season the second season of the Last of Us has absolutely been lambasted by fans and critics alike. Seems like nobody liked it, and it also seems to be victim of some cuts. So yeah, they're they're saying it's not a good idea to do that, they're against it, but it's non binding, so he's definitely still going to get every dollar of that, so there you go.
Speaker 3: Gosh.
Speaker 4: I had a couple other stories.
Speaker 6: Guinea pigs have been forced to listen to adele in order to test out how music audio compression affects our brains and our ears specifically are hearing. Compression is a tool in audio production that basically makes quiet parts loud and loud parts quiet, evening them out so there's no dynamic range the aka difference between the loudest and the quietest parts of the music. And if anybody's a musician or into that, you know that that's where a lot of tension drama comes from, is having quiet bits and things, you know, opening up and classical music for sure. Dynamics is a term that's used often, but this is more referring to dynamics in terms of the actual analyzing of the audio waveform. It turns out that when you compress stuff and it make it just consistently loud all the time, it doesn't give our brains time to reset and our ears time to rest.
Speaker 4: And it's bad.
Speaker 6: So guinea pigs that were subjected to seven days of Adele's music in compressed and uncompressed form suffered more significant hearing damage when they expose to the compressed form, which, if you're into audio stuff in production that do it does make sense, but it's interesting that that's being codified now, so it.
Speaker 2: Wasn't non stop adele right.
Speaker 6: I don't know exactly exactly what kind of rests or breaks they got, but that would be really cruel and the kind of thing you'd see in like black sites or whatever. But on poor little guinea pigs, who you know, it's not funny you always hear guinea pigs used to stand in for like test subjects, right, if you never really hear guinea pigs being used in this way, at least I don't.
Speaker 4: Maybe I don't read enough abstracts of this kind of stuff.
Speaker 6: But there is a thing that's been raging for about five or six years, maybe a little more in music production called the loudness wars, and that has to do with compression about like making something as loud as you can.
Speaker 4: The only way you can make something louder is by reducing.
Speaker 6: The peak value, like the luffs is what it's called loudness units over time. And in order to do that, you got to make the quiet parts, the loud parts quiet, and the quiet parts loud so everything's the same. Then you can just make the whole thing bigger, make the whole thing louder. And it's not good because it reduces the dynamics, and it reduces the you know, the differences between loud and quiet, which is so much of what makes music exciting and interesting.
Speaker 4: I think, so there you go, y'all.
Speaker 6: Sorry if I went a little long on those interesting talk about the Disney stuff and look forward to following the the HBO.
Speaker 4: Debacle as well. Are we max again?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 4: Are we HBO max again? Now?
Speaker 6: Ben?
Speaker 4: Is it actually officially re rolled out?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 6: I believe it's Max dot com here go, which is so funny because the Wen already have Cinemax and anyway, neither you're nor there. Let's take a quick break here, work from a response, and they'll be back with some more strange news.
Speaker 4: And we've returned.
Speaker 2: We're increasing the dynamics of this episode by going quieter here. I've got two days. I want to start with you guys. This is a bit of the downer part of the episode, so apologies. We'll have some ups and downs in dynamics as well, yep. But first of all, I just want to say we were really saddened a lot of folks on on my team and you guys probably as well, because I been I know you had a little direct I don't know if he had direct contact with this actor, but he worked on a show that you also worked on, Yes, Jonathan Joss, who was the voice of John Redcorn and King of the Hill. He was a voice of I think Chief Ken was the character's name on Parks and rec a bunch of other stuff this actor has done.
Speaker 3: He unformed a tremendous person as well. Yeah, yeah, which is way more important than like celebrity status, Like an actual, genuine good dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really cool verson that we got to work with personally, and you know, be on zoom calls where he's recording audio for a show that we made called Bridgewater, and he's just a really great human being.
Speaker 6: I didn't know that that's that's my gosh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was just really sad when we recorded with him. I specifically remember the studio he was in at his house. He had I don't even know, I didn't count how many awesome lights he had in the background, but they were all those like multicolored lights that did different things. It looked like a party at his house, and it was just a really cool vibe. Just gonna I'm just very sad into that guy's passing.
Speaker 4: Well, just the hatred behind the crime.
Speaker 6: I mean, it just seemed like there was a targeted act of absolute homophobia and xenophobia and like just a like just absolute, like a campaign of terror against this man.
Speaker 3: And I did not agree with the way a lot of the initial reporting went, especially because they're missing those those parts about hate crimes and harassment and prejudice. And we have to remember, you know, whenever you hear stories like this, it's different because we were personally connected with an actually human being, right, we hear these stories the ephemera that wants you to always just like clock into the most vicious sounding thing and then to deify celebrities who were just people. Just treat celebrities like people. It's sick how this country is always asking people to deify or vilify folks. You know. That's why I get tired of celebrity news, because it's it's unfair to the subject, it's unfair to the audience. But this was a really genuinely good dude, and the manner of the harassment and the crimes against him, I think it needs to be further acknowledged because it's just unclean, are.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, I think it's trigger warrion, and honestly, some of the stuff that we're talking about, like harm to animals and things like, I mean really really brutal, brutal, respicable, and there is a person in custody, if I'm not mistaken. I just was so direct floor by the headlines. I did not even get that far.
Speaker 3: And even though on a sad note, I think we can find positivity. And here, Matt, I really appreciate you bringing up and focusing on the fact that this human being was again a tremendous, genuine and phenomenally talented person, and I don't want to lose sight about that in this crazy, just stupid rush people have about celebrities. You know.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, My big takeaway is just the positivity he brought to you. Again, I only interacted with him virtually over one of these that we're doing right now, but just the positivity that shone through you know, his camera and audio. You're like, oh dang, that is cool person.
Speaker 3: So that's a life we're sick too, right, Oh yeah, well.
Speaker 2: I mean again, like it was part of that.
Speaker 6: Whole that's a personality thing, right, It's due that wanted to be surrounded by quirky, fun funds, you know, like, I mean, come.
Speaker 2: On, and he was so happy to be doing voice work, and you're just like, yes, it is a cool job. Awesome man, let's do this. So any let's let's Johonadan will remember and we'll think more about that. We'll talk more about it if we need to, but for now, let's just one other thing I wanted to bring up here, Ben, you were talking about those moments in history, like Franz Ferdinand that will be looked back at historians, but maybe not everybody in the present moment fully clocks the significance of.
Speaker 3: We'll be seen as a tipping point in retrospect exactly.
Speaker 2: I just wanted to point out this thing that happened yesterday, as we record on Tuesday, June third, there was a you know, there's the ongoing war between Russia and Ukraine right now, and a lot of them. There's so many news stories happening in cycles about everything that's happening there, and so many developments, so many fronts, so many things happening that's hard to even really see specific instances anymore, at least for me as somebody who's attempting to observe the whole thing. There's a moment that occurred on June third where Ukraine forces used explosives over several months, like planted explosives on a specific bridge that is a strategic connection point from Russia into Crimea, which is an area that they the country had previously annexed and you know, fought a war over. But just the fact that these strategic points of access for like bringing in more troops, bringing in you know, more supplies, anything like that, or being targeted, it feels like the kind of escalation, you know, not only the stuff where there have been attacks like deep within Russia from the Ukraine side, where a lot of the people allied with Ukraine are sending longer range missiles and things.
Speaker 3: Now those forty one planes got absolutely walloped.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, there's just stuff happening right now in that In that situation, there feels like to me, it's going to be the stuff that's written about as Oh and then on this day this happened, which then triggered this other thing, which then caused you know, full scale whatever.
Speaker 3: Because there's somewhat around to write about it later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, that's the hope.
Speaker 3: That's that's the hope. Otherwise, in a world bereft of humans. It's just going to be the descendants of chat GPT rewriting their own interpretations of what was posted. You know what I mean, because social media about Russian Ukraine in the time the humans were around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the time the humans were doing stuff. Speaking of humans doing stuff. Oh wow, let's switch gears again. Yeah, let's jump to a story. I think we talked about it on listener mail. No, I think it was a story you brought up, but I can't remember.
Speaker 4: Guys.
Speaker 2: It was this weird crypto case where there was some kidnapping going oh yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the torture, yeah, and like using electrodes and all kinds of horrible pistol whipping, really really awful stuff.
Speaker 3: Yes. Eric Adams, number one New York City mayor.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, we're better than.
Speaker 3: The mayor and Ghostbusters guys. He's great for Turkey, He's huge there.
Speaker 2: So okay, so let's just refresher one of these two guys, John Willett's Woe Ltz and William Duplessi. These are two gentlemen who are currently under investigation and charged with holding this twenty eight year old, wealthy Italian cryptocurrency trader hostage for several weeks. And the concept, at least according to authority, is that those guys John and William were attempting to get this person's Bitcoin password, and there was torture involved, all kinds of stuff according to the findings and the evidence in the place where these two gentlemen were keeping this guy captive. There is a weird little wrinkle in a little tiny news story that came out. And as you said, Ben, you said, the keyword there new York City Mayor Eric Adams. That's the keyword. The reason why it's even newsworthy. There's a gentleman who was a part of Eric adams security detail who allegedly is the human being that picked up this guy that got cap was held hostage. He picked him up from the airport and took him to the place where he was held captive.
Speaker 4: No, I have not heard this.
Speaker 2: Yes, but he was he was off duty at the time, at least according to you know, he wasn't on his Eric Adams detail.
Speaker 3: Sure, it's a gig economy, it is, but that's the thing.
Speaker 2: It actually is a gig economy. And if he works security, and you've got somebody who's wealthy, who was paying you to do stuff. Being you know, a chauffeur from the airport isn't a big deal and may even not mean anything. And he literally just dropped a guy off that he thought was a guest of his employer. Right, but it sure is weird to have those two worlds collide right there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's gonna be interesting to hear more about that news because it's funny. I was thinking about this earlier, Matt. There's this confluence of the average person and being able to learn more right at a faster pace, a more shallow pace, but a definitely a faster pace than ever before. And then the question becomes, are we seeing more connections that have already existed? Are we discovering new connections? Or has the entire world of the powerful also always been kind of like this? And now you know, like, they're not extra skeletons in the close I'm pointing at a closet. They're not extra skeletons in the closet. They're just better flashlights. Now, yeah, I mean, and I think the flashlight answer is correct.
Speaker 4: Yeah, phones even have a flashlight built in.
Speaker 2: It's crazy, dude, right, And they're also it feels like there are more ways to reflect. I'm just joking.
Speaker 4: I was going to do a thing. He's got this.
Speaker 6: Yeah great, I think we might be getting into more videos soon.
Speaker 3: But I boil.
Speaker 6: I wish you could see you're gonna have to go on vacation again to that same exact resort.
Speaker 2: No, I'm just gonna build one of these.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what are what are the mirror tariffs? Right now? I haven't looked that up.
Speaker 2: Wait, isn't that a thing in like esoteric thought that if you put two mirrors facing each other you could create a portal of some sort.
Speaker 3: Well, fung Shui doesn't like it bad times. Yeah, it's basically a Oija board for the wall.
Speaker 2: Amazing. Well, let's build podcastingja boards and see what happens.
Speaker 3: Oh man, Okay, I have so many other Eric Adams questions for off air, but yeah, okay, So again, what we're saying is interesting confluence. Does it tell us anything other than that's interesting?
Speaker 2: There's nothing other than it's just it's strange in it's news. So guess what it's in this episode?
Speaker 3: There we got strange news segment.
Speaker 2: But last little thing I want to talk about today.
Speaker 4: Guys, you remember that Jeffrey upstea guy. Oh yeah, it's a court of law as a kangaroo course is well. A.
Speaker 2: There are two recent interviews that occurred on Fox News where two very important, influential, powerful human beings went on and gave separate interviews, and one of the topics that came up in both of those interviews was Jeffrey Epstein. And I just want to jump to this is all to get this quote out on the air again, because I think it's fascinating that it's still a question. People are still interested. And then even the forces, the powerful people that maybe believed or represent in some way, the faction of people including me a little bit, who believe that Jeffrey Epstein didn't just kill himself, that there was something else to that, whether it was coercion or you know, something occurred there to me for me personally, right, and that's believed.
Speaker 3: I would say the majority of the US public agree.
Speaker 2: I think so too, But for me, I just have to say it out loud, like when I'm talking about this, it is my belief. It's not based on evidence, right, It's based on looking at things and feeling a certain way about it personally. But even somebody like, how do he say his name, Dan Bungino, Dan Bungina, I don't know how to say his name, Dan Bungino. Let's say Dan Bungino. This is the current deputy director. He went on Fox News gave an interview and they're discussing Jeffrey Epstein's death, and Dan talks about the surveillance video that is allegedly running there of the selling right outside the cell that we talked about ages ago when all of this went down, and Dan says that there's absolutely zero forensic evidence that suggests that any other human being was in that cell at any time between the last time he was seen by the authorities and then when he was found deceased. Here's the quote quote there's no DNA, there's no audio, there's no fingerprints, there's no suspects, there's no accomplices, there's no tips, there is nothing. And then he said, if you have evidence, I am happy to see it. The video is clear as day. He's the only person in there and the only person coming out. You can see it. And you know, to me, Dan is one of these people who previously has talked about like I don't know this seems fishy. This seems like something really went down, and then he's actually finding himself in a place where he can truly investigate, right, which not many of us are going to get to that position where you can really see all the stuff. You could say, give me everything you got on Epstein and he is saying, look, there's nothing there. If you got some more information sent in my way because I want to know, it does feel a little bit like we can put the concept that he got physically murdered to bed, but that it to me, leaves open that whole thing. Did somebody have a conversation with him, or his attorney or somebody it basically got to him that gave him no choice?
Speaker 3: Yeah, right right, I mean the hyoid bone breaking is basic. Is just basic physiology. At that point, the question that you're asking is I believe the moristute question. In our three part series on Epstein and then our later follow ups, I think it's a question that we had to incorporate in the conversation because of the fact that, yes, there are suspicious circumstances, Yes there was a fog of war, there was not enough information to draw a conclusive perspective on However, I love the point you're making mad about the deputy director, the guy who could probably get all the evidence. Maybe, but it's still there's so much just there is. It's stinks man, Somethings are rotten in the lock up.
Speaker 2: But then you've also got Cash, buttel the actual facts shut out FBI director coming out and saying, hey, yeah, we're actively working on this.
Speaker 3: Still yeah, and he's super qualified.
Speaker 4: Well, plus the name is Cash and that's a sweat name.
Speaker 2: Whatever the qualifications. But people in the positions to do the looking are there and they want to do the looking, and they are doing the looking. So I'm interested to see if anything else comes out.
Speaker 3: Same, especially given the administration's foot dragging of releasing connections or releasing you know, the so called Little Black Book information. Even if it, you know, let's play game theory for a moment. If there's nothing bad, if it does indeed support improve the existing mainstream narrative and at the same time disproved multiple points of speculation and conspiracy theory, then why wouldn't you release it post taste? Why wouldn't you come out like if you're not really committee to agro terrorism, why wouldn't you tell the FBI immediately, you know, why would you try to lie? That's a teaser for something that will happened later this week.
Speaker 2: You might not say anything if you're the acting president and you I'm just joking, right, or you know, the Prince of England or whatever.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: God, yeah, never get it. You know, he doesn't sweat, is what he said.
Speaker 2: The President of the United States and a Prince of England both implicated the same guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like prince yeah, well like a deputy prince.
Speaker 2: Anyway, we'll learn more about that. One last thing to ruin your week, just a little bit. If you've got time, head on over to the Guardian Slash Environment slash series slash the Age of Extinction. It's a whole thing that The Guardian has a whole series about the Age of extinction. We all find ourselves in right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah. It reminds me, Matt of Low those many years ago when we were we were looking into neo nicotinoid effects on honeybee populations, which hadn't been proven at that time. And then also we started talking about insect population collapse. Thanks to the help of several academics and fellow conspiracy realist in the crowd. The think about these stories, which I'm sure have to irritate so many scientists, is that it has been shouted from the proverbial rooftops and the tree top canopies for so long. It's happening, and it's so easy for people to say, well, it's not happening to me directly, or it's not affecting me directly, therefore it's not really happening. But it's coming to your door soon, you know, faster than dominoes.
Speaker 2: Oh it is, And it's genuinely truly terrifying. It's existential threat level stuff. If you look at the subtitle of The Guardian's Age of Extinction series, it says reporting on our catastrophic species loss and ways to tackle the biodiversity crisis, which is nice. They've got that in the end, right. So the thing we always try and do, what's the positive thing, what's the action, what's the good stuff? The problem is we're in a catastrophic species lost situation and there is a story you can read right now, and I wish you would. Again, not going to be great for your psyche, but will be good for you to know and to think about it. Is titled half the Tree of Life colon Ecologists horror as nature reserves are emptied of insects, And it's specifically going on a couple of different entomologists paths. It follows them one particular guy who studied a basically moths and all kinds of insects and a bunch of different species out in Costa Rica. And this it's a beautiful story about when he was brutally injured and he put up sheets around his bed where he was confined out in the wilderness, and would turn a light on inside those sheets, right, and the number of moths, the hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of moths that would gather on his sheet at night and he would study them, and then doing the same thing today, you know, several decades later, and there are a few moths and all of the wilderness that show up on that sheet, which should be like it should be every moth within a certain vicinity.
Speaker 3: Right, especially you know, depending on the environmental circumstances. But the frightening thing here, and I think any of us who have just me personally spending like a lot of time in the wild, you need to realize this is on a Nature reserve. These are in areas of the wild where human encroachment is purposely limited. Yes, and that also, like any of us who do enjoy being outdoors, if you are past a certain age, you have noticed a steep decline in a lot of wildlife, right, and it's it's frightening. It's a political it's real, it's happening. Please Also, and since we talked about positive note, I do have one thing to add. There's a Popular Science article that gives us maybe some other news about insects. Researchers have recently genetically altered fruitflies so that they crave cocaine.
Speaker 4: Oh jeez, that's what we need, cooked up fruit flies.
Speaker 3: Right, the time has come.
Speaker 2: This guy's got a lot of fruitflies in his apartment.
Speaker 3: Right, that's his that's his sheet. Three eggs over for the moths. That's how Oh, that's how they'll bust folks in the.
Speaker 4: Future, like a moth to a coach.
Speaker 3: That's actually a really good idea for law enforcement. Isn't it terrifying? You had a fruitfly swarm gun step aside super soakers. Oh oh jeez, okay, wait, I thought it was a funny point. And then we made it. It's a terrifying real one.
Speaker 2: It's all black mirror now all the way down, so all the way down. And that's all I've got.
Speaker 3: Guys, folks, thank you so much for joining us. We hope this strange news segment has found you well. We cannot wait to hear your thoughts. Is a mass surveillance database. Good? What's your position on nature and nature and coming collapses and apocalypsis? And I'm doing that on purpose because I'm still learning English. Tell us your thoughts on Disney, and of course, tell us your favorite weird amusement parks. We cannot wait to hear from you. You can give us a call on the phone. You can always send us a good old fashioned email, or you can message us on social media so Pallenteer gets a better read on all of us. I'm kidding. They have the emails too, I imagine.
Speaker 6: So if you'd like, you can find us all over the internetit your social media platform of choice. We are Conspiracy Stuff on YouTube, which is kind of a social media platform or a streaming thing. I don't even know what it is. It's comments. You can't comment on Netflix. You can find us at Conspiracy Stuff on that as well as on Facebook. We have our Facebook group here is where it gets crazy, and on xfka, Twitter, on Instagram and TikTok or conspiracy Stuff show.
Speaker 4: On the phone lines.
Speaker 2: We are one eight three three st d WYTK. When you call in, you will find yourself inside a voicemail. You have three minutes to be in that voicemail. Give yourself a cool nickname in there and let us know whether or not we can use your name and message on the air. If you'd like to instead send us words, why not send us a good old fashioned email.
Speaker 3: We are the entities that read each piece of correspondence we receive. Hundreds of prisoners have escaped after an earthquake in Pakistan. Be well aware, yet unafraid. Sometimes the void writes back conspiracy at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff they don't want you to know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.