Speaker 1: The volume college Football Reactions presented by j Jaylab has the best audio products in the game. They're ready to take care of you this football season, traveling to watch your favorite team or just streaming the game at home. Find the Blue Box at Walmart, Target, Best Buy, or go to JLab dot com. Love their stuff the Blue Box. Okay, so I have said I think Bill Belichick's going to last one year in college and very interesting his contract and you know the lawyers went after this big time. There's no way Carolina wanted to give this up. Bill can leave July first of next year. I mean he could leave before he coaches a game, a single game. Now he's not going to because nobody hires, So he can leave before he coaches a game. Nobody hires at that point. So that's not the point. The point is one and done is very possible. I think he's going to jettison college football. I think he's going to be aggravated this This staff he's building is a pro staff. They're going to rub people the wrong way in the building. It's going to be Charlie Weiss times ten, where Charlie just wore people out. Charlie was a good enough coach, not a great recruiter, wore people out in the building. I don't think this Belichick group fits college. I think their personalities are kurt, outspoken. It's by pro standards. John it is rough, it's it's hard. It doesn't work in many pro environments. It's not going to work in college. There was a story Diana Russini reported that he showed interest in the Jets, and I'm thinking, if Bill showed interest in the Jets, he hates Woody Johnson. That this to me if you look at his drafts. Like Urban Meyer who told me years ago, I don't watch Sunday football. I'm preparing for the next week. Bill doesn't watch Saturday football, watch their drafts. He's the minute he takes over the drafts. He doesn't know what he's doing. NFL guys don't watch a lot of Saturday. College guys don't watch Sunday. I don't know. And I saw that Jet story. What did you make of it?
Speaker 2: Well, my first reaction was, I don't believe it because Bill it's been his arch nemesis. The hatred was palpable for the last twenty five years. He despised the Jets. Then he finally gets a microphone in front of him for the last six months, and he you know, he'd pick his spots when to be critical and name people. He never hesitated with Woody Johnson. The moment they hired Robert Solid, he put all his chips in the middle of the table. I would say, was as critical of him as anyone in the quote unquote media, especially like NFL type person. And he didn't talk like that about other people. So my reaction was, listen, I know Mike Tannebaum and everyone reported that, you know, wood he didn't tell people this. Mike who's running the search, told people. And they've known each other since Cleveland. I have a hard time seeing Bill beg the Jets, And that would be an easy one if you're Woody Johnson. You know, everyone keeps talking about people or Bill flipping the middle finger in the NFL flipping the middle finger to him, a bunch of fus going back and forth. This would be an easy one for Woody, Like, let's put out there that Bill was begging me for a job, because what's Bill gonna do leak something when he's in North Carolina. It's kind of like he's just off doing something. Else. Now, if it is true, which I mean very credible, people are importing this pretty embarrassing for Bill, that he's begging the Jets for interest. I mean, and maybe he knows and that's obviously the contract. I remember Simmons used to write about like when celebrities would date and one celebrity would be way more famous to the other celebrity. It would be hard to maintain that relationship, but it would usually end badly. When they're both Demi Moore and Bruce Willis, right, two famous people, they could well, this is Belichick's fame and his football aura is in a different planet than UNC football, so he could take advantage of them in a negotiation that never happens at that level. No one would sign a five year contract new football coach and put that in. But also, if he's, if it is true's begging Woody Johnson for the Jets job, is he gonna have that many more options in a year? Like what would he have to do if his stock is low right now? Would he have to go ten and two in year one? Like? Could he just go six and six and people would think highly of him? I don't know, I mean, I actually kind of believe he just might be stuck there and he's just all in because the one thing people I remember being I think in college and reading the Halbertstam book, and he's he can get sentimental only about his father. I think the dad thing means something to him and his dad having coaching there. He brought up that sweatshirt that he had from UNC when he was there. So I just don't think they're gonna be the potential options, and I just think he might just be stuck there. But you're right, I mean, that's that was a pretty glaring like that's not getting put in any of these contracts.
Speaker 1: I mean, the fact that he can leave before he coaches a game is wild.
Speaker 2: I mean, but don't you take the ten million dollar buyout even to start is relatively low. They can't fire these guys five years in that their buyouts are fifty million.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it just I think, I mean, Urban Meyer just didn't fit pro football. I don't think Bill's personality. I don't think it fits college. He was introduced at a basketball game and it just looked so odd. It was like, oh, this does And by the way, I've called multiple people that you know, no Bill, and they just can't. They just can't wrap their brain around it. So I'm I can root for something I can simultaneously hope he does well. I want to watch the games, but think it could be a mess. It won't be. It's not like they'll win four games. ACC is bad, their schedules embarrassing. They get. The toughest game they play is Clemson. I mean they get it's a bunch of wake Forest. I mean those are the tough ones. Syracuse it is Duke it's bad. And North Carolina Thoways had pretty good players. But I don't know. I just when I saw the Jet story, I thought, wow, okay, I want to touch on this. So Ashton Genty finished the second to Travis Hunter in the Heisman. Now that's what I would have voted. I think when you have a historically unique player like Travis Hunter who played against much better competition. And my take on college football in the NFL, it doesn't really matter who you play. If you win, you're division, you're in. If you qualify for the playoffs, you're in. It does matter in college That's why there's four Big Ten teams in the playoffs, three SEC teams in the playoff, and two ACC teams in the playoff because the ACC is weaker. So it does matter who you play in college and Ashton genty had two hundred and seventy yards and sixt d's against Georgia Southern. Now, he was good against Utah State one hundred and eighty six yards. He was very good against San Jose State and Wyoming and Hawaii and UNLV. Hell, he got three touchdowns against Oregon. I'm not denying any of that. He who had two hundred nine yards against Nevada, but it is it is hard for me with about eighty percent because I consider Oregon and UNLV a couple of times pretty solid teams. But it is hard for me in college. Hell, you could probably go every third year and find somebody at holy Cross you know who dialed up big numbers. I do think your schedule matters. I've said this about college football. If your road games, what is your road attendance? If the average road attendants you face is like thirty three thousand, it's different than playing in Camp Randall and the Shoe and Michigan and Otson. So I wasn't b third buy it. Travis Hunter played against better players? Did it bother you that this kid that's going to go in the first round finished second.
Speaker 2: No, I mean I would have voted. Listen, I got my start out of college in the Whack, which at the time was Boise State now turned into the Mountain West. It is not the same. And at Prisono State, Pat Hill always would hang his hat on our three non conference games where against power five, big time opponents. It's a different world than playing New Mexico and San Diego State, and Listen, he is. I would say he is a universal favorite amongst the NFL scouted community. Genty honestly is only not because he's like five eighth. If he was six feet tall or five to eleven, I think he'd be a lock top ten pick.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I do think he's gonna be a fascinating draft prospect because his tape is like I mean, it's about as unique and dominant as you'll see. But he's small. I mean, you see a five eight running back going in the top fifteen. That's hard. But I think he'll end up going in the first round. I think Travis Hunter. I bet there are a lot of players let's just pick the last twenty years, either wide receivers or corners that if they had played the opposite position, you know, if they're a wide receiver and they had played corner or corner and played wide receiver, that they could have been elite and been a first round pick. And they were first round pick at the position they played. But we have never seen a guy literally play them both since like the leather helmet days, and be universally accepted. He's the number one corner. He might not be the number one wide receiver, but he's a lock if he was only a wide receiver to go in the top ten or twelve. I mean it's in every single game and you're watching as the season went on that it is like this can't, he can't, and then he just would. And it's just one hundred and ten snaps, one hundred and five snaps, one hundred and twelve snaps, and in the Big twelve playing corner, which to me is harder than wide receiver to be good at because to be that's a passing conference. So he's run around to be able to play wide receiver, and he dominated at I also thought one he sounded like just a great guy and he feels like an easy person to root for. What if you're Colorado and you the trigger on hiring Deon Sanders. I know year one was a disaster, but in terms of the popularity it brought you, it was a win. To be year two, have your first Heisman since the running back in ninety four, to go nine and three, to have this guy and Shadoor, which are going to be top five picks. I just don't think it gets any better. I mean, it's an all time turning around at a program that ninety percent of the coaches that would have gone there would I mean, best case this year would have been like six and six and there would be no top ten picks. The guy won a Heisman and you hear the way. And part of this is why Dion. It's also I think Bill will be fine in recruiting is because I think, what really, you know, Dion acts like Dion since I was a kid he was playing. He just acts the same. Now he's just a coach, like Bill, just be yourself, you know. I think that's why Brian Kelly takes some shit. He kind of acts like he kind of faking. It's like being a politician like Saban just felt like Saban, right, Kirby just feels like they just they're very comfortable in their own skin. Even Chip. You know, Chip's kind of honor. He's not going to kiss your right. But that's how he's been for fifteen to twenty years. And I think Dion, it's remarkable what they accomplished. It really is. Now I check recruiting rankings before, they're not very high for this next year. But Dion's not big on the high school kids. That's big on the portal, so it's hard to totally judge him that way. But I thought it was a really cool moment for just when are we ever going to see this again? Count he starts at two positions, corner non quarterbacks, one of the harder positions to play, and he's that's where everyone in the NFL is begging him to play, like, please play corner, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think he'll be a better corner than an offensive player in the NFL. He's one hundred and eighty five eighty eight pounds. He'll probably be a corner because timing is such an essential part of the better quarterbacks in the NFL. It's hard for me to see an elite quarterback saying yeah, okay, kid, you'll just be here for half the practice. I don't. That's just not the Brady's, the Rogers, the Staffords, like golf, they want you in on every snap, like the idea that you're going to be on the other side. But I do think if he goes to a really bad team, my guess is the Giants have the NOMA wants.
Speaker 2: He's going to a bad team because it's gonna be he might be the first overall pick Colin.
Speaker 1: Well, I think yeah. I mean the Giants I would say would take Schadar Sanders, Vegas could take cam Ward, maybe Travis Hunter, you know, maybe again, I could see Vegas going for Sam Darnold and saying we'll take Travis Hunter number two. I could absolutely see that because not te LESCo and cam Ward's interesting, Like, I don't know if that's the personality fit he wants because cam is edgy and Tom's not into that. But so my take though, he's probably again for a bad team, play both ways, But I might I think he'll end up settling as a corner. Am I wrong?
Speaker 2: Well, that's what everyone's pushing him to play. But when you look at the contracts, it pays to be a wide receiver. Column.
Speaker 1: That's what that's what I wonder about.
Speaker 2: I mean, Brandon, I, you caught seventy five balls and he got seventy five million and thirty a year, so it's it's uh and if you're good now. I don't know if he's justin Jefferson or Jamar Chase, but those guys get Nick Bosa money, so financially now, I do think we're gonna see. You know, everyone thought that Sas Gardner was the greatest thing since Darrell Reeves and Richard Sherman. Well, actually the better player is Derek Stingley, and he's gonna be up for a new contract. And I think, you know, and even Sauce, if they get a new coach and he gets back to playing good football, you're talking eighty nine. I think their numbers will get much higher. With some of these younger patrick sertain higher numbers at corner that will continue to rise. But the NFL wants them to play that because it's much easier to find a wide receiver. I can find a guy in the third or fourth round who can catch me eighty balls. It's Sauce, Gardner and Derek Stingley. We're top five picks. You know, to get the high end guy like Richard Sherman's an all time outlier, a Hall of Fame level player that you find in the fifth round. Like that doesn't happen very often at corner. Most guys are drafted high at that position. But like, what if he wants to play both ways? My theory on that is, I do think physically it's very hard to play corner against every team as good receivers now, so we said it was hard in college to go to the NFL to do it. It'd be hard to you know, maintain your health doing both, I think at the NFL level. And two, if you're a team, if you're my starting corner and one of my starting wide receivers, if you get injured, I lose two spots. Right, So it's kind of a weird spot to be in, right. It's why I thought one day, well, if you could pay him, could he just shatter records and get this unique contract because he's like show hey, O Tani. Well let's say in five years he's actually does both and I give him one hundred and fifty million dollars. Well, then he breaks his leg. I just lost my best wide receiver. In my best corner. If Stingley gets hurt, I don't also lose Nico Collins, right, So it becomes a little there's listen, Dion was an awesome player to watch as a kid. They let Dion play some wide receiver to just make him happy, but he wasn't just running out every play with Michael Irvin or Jerry Rice.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: This dominated corner, which I think everyone's going to push them to be. But you know, agents and money people go, well, look at these wide receivers, how much money they're making. So I wonder if it's going to be a little you know, tug of war on on the business side. Also the shador thing, could you shadoor in in Prime? And the Mara family signed me up for that because you talk about it, talk about a team that needs some life. We talk about a lifeless franchise right now.
Speaker 1: I text Ian O'Connor, very respected New York columnists today and I said, are they going to keep Brian Day bullies? He's safe? And his text to me, without getting into everything he said, was they would like to, but you've got planes flying overhead. They're getting blown out. I mean the Jets, to their credit they're playing their ass off today. I mean Aaron the.
Speaker 2: Last time Jags.
Speaker 1: No, they are. But let me just give Aaron some credit here because I know everybody thinks I pick on them. Just to give Aaron some credit. Let's see, here we go, Aaron Rodgers. If you go look at his last Aaron in his last seven games has thirteen touchdowns of pick and one hundred passer rating. So the DeVante thing, if you watch today, they've got a real relationship. Now it takes time. So Aaron and Davante are cooking. I like their personnel. It's it's you know. I said last week on FS one, I kind of thought the Giants had a brighter future. But it looks like to me the New York Giants have quit on Brian Dable.
Speaker 2: I would agree. I thought that game was unwell. I mean the Raven watch, it was a practice. It was a joke. Say this about the Jets. But they threw up a stat you know, down the stretch of the game. I think they were. They were. They've lost five games with fourth quarter leads, and coming in today they were zero to seven in games decided by less than a touchdown. So they have been in a lot of these games. Oh yeah, I think I think people could make the argument is listen, they were never going to take out the Bills to win the East, but this season could easily be closer to five hundred if a couple of things go right for him now today because part of it right, Remember their schedule started hard and it got easier at the end, and they they won.
Speaker 1: And had four hundred yards of offense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, Aaron was good today, Like if they got that eron now again, they're playing the Jags, who have an awful defense from just a bad team. But if he played like that, they would be okay. And like you said, DeVante, even Lazard, they had to play that. He dropped a ball, Aaron was putting it. One thing I had been critical on Aaron was like, God, is he lost his his just pure accuracy that made him such a special player. Today he was hitting guys in the hands constantly and he wasn't missing the layup place. And yeah, I mean, it'll be fascinating to see what happens there. They got a lot of cooks in the kitchen. Tannebomb running this search. You know, I think John Mora, I think he's just hesitant to just keep firing people over and over, but like, what are you supposed to do? Like this ain't working out?
Speaker 1: Yeah, McAdoo and Shermer and Slidge are not sol excuse me, Jojo, I could do Judge Schrmer solid Jets. Yeah. Aaron went sixteen to thirty two hundred and ninety yards three touchdowns. He also ran six times and average seven and a half yards a run. So whereas Kirk Cousins off of surgery and forty has I mean it's gone off the cliff. Aaron's actually, I think last week in a losing cause, last two weeks i've watched thereon, I thought he's been really good.
Speaker 2: I would agree. I mean, he's been way better than he was early in the season, which is kind of I would get. I guess if you're a Jets fan or just someone that like he might be on the team somewhat optimistic, you would think it would go the other way. Older player forty forty one years old would fall off a cliff as the season went on. He's actually still has a lot of energy. Kind of hit me today watching those two teams, because at one point time it looked like the Jets were gonna lose. I mean Devant, Devanta had like two hundred yards today. Is is it kind of crazy that the NFL is hitting all time popularity with the Jets and the Giants really for the last decade plus being just atrocious football teams.
Speaker 1: I've said this a recently. The most successful teams in this league are Kansas City, Green Bay, Baltimore, Buffalo. Those are your franchises. The New York teams are a mess. Chicago's a mess. Until this year, d C fifth sixth biggest city in the country was a mess. A high profile team like Pittsburgh, not a Super Bowl contender. Like you start looking around, Dallas, the biggest brand in the league. Really regressing quickly. It is remarkable. In the NBA, you've got you know, New York's viable. I mean, the Warriors are still viable. The Lakers won in the bubble several years ago. I mean, Dallas is good. That's a big market team. Philadelphia's good, Boston's good. Those are big market cities. Houston another big market interesting. Hawks playing well in Atlanta and their ratings are no circling the drain. The NFL's biggest markets are a mess. And on a lot of instances they're unwatchable. Uh, and it just shows the power of the NFL. I think there's a lot of reasons the NFL is king. It's relatable, we watch it, we bet it. It's built for television. There's one game a week. As society gets wider and more distracting, it's it's one game a week. I think that's a huge part of it. But college football ratings are up, and women's basketball ratings are up, and March Madness was up. The NBA continues to just not I think the load management, I think the aesthetics. Everybody's shooting forty threes, and I think they have their best players in the wrong markets. But I don't know if a league is bulletproof. But I mean, I sit around and I can't wait for Sundays. I mean, the early window today was pretty awful. It was it was the worst. It was the worst early window of the season. But I couldn't wait for the afternoon. And I think that's the power of the sport. It just it just makes me think about it before the day starts.
Speaker 2: I also think this the explosion of college football, the NIA, the transfer portal, now the playoffs, you're just watching the incoming talent, so you just get to basically fans get to scout. It's pretty clear all the best teams have the best players. That's why I actually think Belichick is gonna be I mean, how many big time games I would imagine over the next couple of weeks. They got money to spend, gonna land some transfer portal guys. I just saw they kept the best recruit they had in the class was a quarterback. They kept them like if they are interesting next year. That just bleeds into the NFL because it's all kind of layered now. I feel like it starts on tender. I don't know about you. It was nice actually to take a deep breath. It's been a long season. But I did also miss, like you know it, with a lot of respect for the Army Navy guys. I love the over in that game. Both those two teams have been scoring a lot of points. But I missed just the SEC game or Ohio State or Michigan. There just wasn't anything. It was weird. It was a weird feeling yesterday without it.
Speaker 1: You know, it really was John Middlecoff, former NFL scout three and out. We do our hour to hour fifteen. We do it every Sunday. I'm gonna go. When I watch THEMS, I'm crossing my fingers. I have them minus two and a half. I do not remember having an OO for four early day. And not only did I go oh for four, all of my teams got run. I mean I was on the rock. I almost picked Denver to win and cover. I got talked out of it. Shame on me, But I've had better weeks.
Speaker 2: I dare you to pick the Raiders tomorrow and television. I kind of like them. They they're bound to take someone out down the stretch a weird game, and Falcons I'd be taken out.
Speaker 1: I thought that about Cleveland today and boy was I wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah see you call the volume.
Speaker 1: College Football Reactions presented by j Lab. Jaylab has the best audio products in the game. They're ready to take care of you this football season, traveling to watch your favorite team or just streaming the game at home. Find the Blue Box at Walmart, Target, Best Buy, or go to JLab dot com. Love their stuff. The Blue Box