Speaker 1: Hey, Quinn Priester of the Brewers and joining us right now and at the Quinn, we really appreciate the time. Thank you for joining us. Great season in the regular season, now we're ready for the postseason. How's life this week for you as one of the bye teams.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's fun. Thanks for having me first off, but yeah, we've been staying ready. We got Monday off. But now we've been at the field, you know, two days in a row, you know, staying in tune with with the other wild card games and and staying ready as a group and trying to keep things competitive and you know, as high intensity as we can.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's been fun. All right.
Speaker 4: Before we dig into a other stuff, I know you were raised outside Chicago, So were you a Cubs fan or a white Sux fan.
Speaker 3: I grew up a Cub fan. So now reviews, thank you.
Speaker 4: He's gonna the Cubs win. He better slay the cub that they win, Tomas, he better slay the Cubs because because otherwise, man, we're gonna have some serious questions about you know what we're people's fandoms.
Speaker 3: Lie here you stop it.
Speaker 4: I'm just I'm just kidding. Clearly, clearly just kidding, h but no, seriously, you guys have had this off time. How do you stay ready? I know you guys did some you guys are doing some inner squad games. Do you throw an inning in these innsquad just to stay sharp? I saw Abner Reba yelling at the umpire yesterday for bad calls, and I think, as like one of your coaches or something is murf What is Murph doing during these Is he practicing yelling at empires? How do you guys stay sharp?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: No, I think we're just trying to keep it, you know, as fun as possible. I think it's fun to go out and compete against your teammates that you've been with all year, and I look forward to doing that. Stand like you said, I'm gonna throw live today and just to stay ready, stay on top of things, keep things crisp, you know, while we do have a little bit of a break here, So going against your teammates, I'm gonna be excited to compete against them. Just being able to get close with them all year, you know, granted didn't have a spring training with the team. Uh, definitely is something that you know, you kind of look forward to in spring train and get to face your buddies. But now you know, I get an opportunity to do it today and then and then yeah, Charlie, our bullpen coach is uh is umpiring, and there's some there's some really good calls and there are some really bad ones. Kind of shows how difficult it can be. And but I appreciate his confidence.
Speaker 3: Greenie.
Speaker 5: Greenie doesn't know what he's doing out there, so make sure you tell him that I said that. And who are you looking forward to punching out the most? Is there somebody in the position player or the guys you're gonna face. I don't know if you're facing the whole lineup that you're like, man, I would love he talks so much smack or like he's a guy that I would love to go in and have him sign the baseball for me after I punch him out in the inner squad.
Speaker 2: I mean, honestly, I've gotten to probably Sal sounds a tough guy to punch out too, because he can just battle and I mean he's following stuff off out of the glove basically, and so.
Speaker 3: He would be a fun one to have. And he's actually got.
Speaker 2: Me when I was with the Pirates, so I got to get him back in some way, and so he'd probably be the top of the list. But I mean, any of those guys, it'd be fun to just have that little, that little thing over him to mess with them a little bit. But all in all, I mean, just try and get my ground balls like I normally do, and then sometimes I get a punch hup.
Speaker 5: Now, I'm not one hundred percent sure, but I don't think they're opening the gates up like they are opening the gates for the Phillies. The Phillies sold out just yesterday. They sold out for their inner Squad today. Would it make it a little more exciting a little more fun if you guys were sold out, if there was fans just packed in America Family.
Speaker 2: Field, Yeah, I definitely think it would be It would be different. I think it'd be really fun. I know our fans, you know, are the best. They would do something like that. However, you know, our leadership thought that doing what we're doing right now, be together as a group, you know, being a team with you know, and really you know, keeping each other, holding each other accountable, was kind of the best way forward. And we're really enjoying this time to like you, like we've been saying, is to compete and get a little uncomfortable, put ourselves into situations that you know are hard ones to navigate, whether it's you know, second and third, nobody out bases loaded with one, first and third, all those things, and so we're able to control a lot more. But certainly having some fans there would be an interesting factor, even though it doesn't really you know, there's nothing on the line, seeing seeing what they start cheering for and whatnot, it would be kind of fun.
Speaker 4: You know, front Row Amy would be there keeping score. So let's also make sure that we know that front would be their keep score with their scorebook, even though she'd still be there.
Speaker 3: Well, can you get.
Speaker 4: Into your Yeah, I mean, if you don't know who front Row Amy is, just googler anybody out there and you'll know she's a legendary Brewers fan. Can you go into your story a little bit about you were a first round pick with the Pirates, you get traded to the Red Sox.
Speaker 5: Now you're traded.
Speaker 4: What was it like coming up with the Pirates and then boom, oh man, I'm on.
Speaker 3: The Red Sox.
Speaker 4: Wow, look at me? Go and you're thinking, all right, I got a chance from the Red Sox and then they shift you to Milwaukee and now here you are in the playoffs. I mean, you have two shots at the playoffs this year. But what was that journey like from you from thinking I'm gonna be a pirate for life and now I'm Red Sox and now I'm a Brewer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a whirlwin.
Speaker 2: It was crazy and to be so yeah, you know at the end or in the twenty twenty four deadline is when I got moved. I'd made my debut with debut with Pittsburgh and like, really thankful for that organization, just give me a chance. Obviously a ton of my development within the minor leagues, have a ton of great relationships over there, you know, up and down the Org. And then things definitely didn't go the way anybody wanted them to in the major leagues. Just was really inconsistent, trying to find my footing, trying to find some confidence. And then when I was moved to Boston, you know, was optioned back down to Triple A, started to throw a little bit harder with just a little some of a couple like mechanical adjustments that were super easy and athletic to kind of make that change. And so I started to throw a little bit harder, and as I did that, you know, I started to command the ball a little bit better. And then I started to feel this confidence start to kind of come back in a way where it's like, oh, man, I'm doing what I want to more than not, and so now I can actually pitch and I can do use sequences because beforehand just didn't feel like I was commanding the ball where I wanted to, and so I was trying to execute sequences, but I wasn't executing it. I wasn't executing them, so it didn't really matter, you know, kind of what I knew or what I was taking into the game if I wasn't executing it. And then that's just kind of what we've hammered as soon as I got traded to Milwaukee, certainly something I didn't expect at the beginning of the year, you know, didn't make the team out of camp with Boston. Was really you know, definitely disappointed, but used it as fuel to keep going and to keep you know, working the processes that you know, I felt a lot of confidence in and then you know.
Speaker 3: I got traded to the Brewers.
Speaker 2: It was a huge surprise, but it was cool being traded so close to home, just being an hour and a half south of American Family Field. I get a ton of family to be able to come to games on off days and be able to go home.
Speaker 3: Me and my fiance are able to go home, so we're both from that area. And then and then we just hammered the execution of things here.
Speaker 2: You know, how many times can we get our sinker down in a way, can we get the cutter to the top rail, can we get the slider's back foot and under? And rather than kind of focusing on the velo and the stuff of things, you know, trying to let the iPad tell us what's good versus, hey, did we execute a pitch and are we on time? And then once that became the focus, and then winning games became the focus rather than the stuff, I felt like I was just really able to be free and really compete on the Major league mound versus trying to tinker and fix things.
Speaker 5: Talk about hooky, talk about the pitching coach and what does he bring a different than the other. While it was small snippets of big lea pitching coaches, what does he bring because you know the vernacular, you're using sinkers down below the zone, you know, the cutter to the top rail. All that stuff is quintessential Hooky. Does he bring something different in a way that he tells you how to do something or continues to encourage you and make you a better pitcher.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The thing that always like impresses me is we're when we're throwing a bullpen and he's not looking at the catcher. He's just watching me and and you know, I'll miss the ball arm side and he'll be like, you know, he'll know immediately where it missed without even watching the ball, just by watching you know, the body. And in the past, I've had pitching coaches who you know, are holding the iPad to see what the track men saying and and you know, kind of referencing those things. Throughout my career, I've also had coaches who and Hook's definitely one of the guys that is really worried about the mechanic, like the being on time and making sure we're getting to the right spots in our delivery and knowing that if we do that, then the iPad is going to show what we wanted to show, and so we don't really need to look at it as long as we're on time. And when it's so focused on the body and so focused on being on time, you know, I feel like that allows my athleticism to kind of come through more than if I'm trying to focus on a shape or a you know, a number. And I feel like that's one of the bigger things. And then obviously, you know, every day, just holding us accountable to doing the little things. You know, he's out there during our throwning programs and even subtle differences. Hey, you know, you're you're tapping your back foot, and it's some things that I don't notice that they're kind of happening subconsciously, that he's able to kind of essentially put the bumpers up if you're bowling, and so it's like, hey, all right, bounce right back to the middle. Bounce right back to the middle. He doesn't he doesn't let us get too far away from what's been working and what's what's you know, really good what makes us major leaguers.
Speaker 4: Quinn, are you a field guy?
Speaker 5: Then?
Speaker 4: Does that make you a field guy instead of an iPad guy, because it's awesome. It's refreshing to hear someone say the coach doesn't just stare at an iPad. So are you a field guy, like when you throw a bullpen are you more of a oh that felt really nice? Or are you one of those guys that has to grab the iPad and go, oh, it has twelve point seven inches of inverted vert so I know I was a little bit off or can you can you feel it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's something that has been a change this year that I think is again freed me up to be competitive with a hitter rather than with myself on the mound.
Speaker 3: And yeah, like you're competitive with yourself over the week.
Speaker 2: But sometimes I'd be in a bullpen session and I'd throw a pitch that, you know, it's a change up, that's a ball, you know, not competitive, and and we're coming over like, hey.
Speaker 3: That one was the best one. It's like you no, it wasn't.
Speaker 2: It's a ball. Nobodys swinging at that. It's a bad pitch. I don't care what the iPad says. And so and then also it gets frustrating when people, you know, when you when you throw a pitch and it's your body. You're like, no, I can't repeat that, and then it's like, man, this is look at this, this is exactly what we want. It's like, well, I can't repeat that, So it doesn't matter that that's what we want. Now it kind of feels like what we're trying to do is a lot more difficult than it really is. Like it should feel it should feel athletic, it should feel smooth, and it should feel explosive, and regardless of what the iPad says, like all year, the hitters have been tonas that that's it's playing late.
Speaker 3: And so you know, it's definitely good to keep an eye on things. You know.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you know your slider can start to have more carry, and you're gonna want to fix that because you know, honestly, that's just going to improve how you can get to that down in the way spot. If it carries, it's going to stay up, you know, versus when it feels the same. But using the iPad in the right way been huge for me, but which is honestly not using it a lot at all.
Speaker 5: Are you the nicest person on earth? Or do you put the best songs on the radio or something? Nineteen straight wins. I mean, when it's Queen priesterday, the boys just say, you know what, we're gonna hit, We're gonna score more runs than the other team, and we're gonna go out and get this w nineteen straight. Is that just like a weird number to you or is it something that you're like, yeah, I can see it because everybody likes me.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's because everybody likes me. You look at it, and there was there's a couple of games in there. There's a game in Miami where the offense really really picked me up. I I, you know, lost a ball over the first baseman's hat and kind of let them start a rally. And then also against the Mets, I gave up six and four and the offense comes back in Nica cons hits a walkoff homer.
Speaker 3: And that's just the kind of team we've been all year.
Speaker 2: And certainly there's been games where you know, I've I've contributed to the win more than others.
Speaker 3: But I think, you know, one, it's a matter of you know, the dice kind.
Speaker 2: Of rolling your way, and and then also you know, just being consistent, being sticking to our process, and and also you know, staying within you know what we do well. I think you know, times where strikeouts start to go up, it's it is what it is, you know, that's.
Speaker 3: Not happening because I'm chasing the strikeout.
Speaker 2: I'm the most aggressive in the zone when I'm trying to get out with every pitch. And and I think a lot of times getting the offense back in the dugout happens quicker if you're getting balls in play.
Speaker 3: And and then when we're playing.
Speaker 2: As good as we were and as good as we are, you know, just getting those guys you know who are who are you know, ready to hit back in the dugout and off their feet, but also ready for every ball is just something that's just the way that I've found success to help our team win. And you know that might change as the future goes, but right now, that's what it is. And and I trust every single guy that that plays defense behind me, and and I want the bomb play.
Speaker 3: I want them to, you know, help me out.
Speaker 4: Hey, Quinn, A couple of things, you guys, you guys have family trips, right with the Brewers, you guys have family trips. So yeah, here your uncle, your uncles are included. Now so my uncle can fly on these family planes. And when your uncle flies, does he get pocket pancakes from Murph? Or is that restricted to players and reporters?
Speaker 2: Well, they got to stay in the cockpit. So yeah, my uncle and then his son, my cousin Alex, also flies for United. And there's the way that it works is they're able to pick up the charter trips, uh, you know, kind of like a month out or something like that in advance it and it worked out for them to both you know, get our flight back from Texas. We took a couple of pictures which was which was really fun and obviously you know, my uncle came over the intercom and and said a few things. It was a really cool moment, you know, for all of us. Uh, and came back and got a couple of wins, so they might be good luck for us and and maybe you know, they'll fly some more in the in the future.
Speaker 4: Here and are your officially confirmed game two starter or do we know that? Have they told you that or do we know that?
Speaker 2: We don't know that yet right now. I'm just staying ready for whatever role that uh, you know, the team needs me in and you know, absolutely you know, looking forward to getting into my first postseason game and whatever role that is. And you know, I've been opened for this year. I've I've came in out of after three innings I've started, and uh, you know, I feel prepared and ready for whatever role. You know, Murph and Hookie and Jim and everybody you know there thinks is going to help us win a game.
Speaker 4: Got it is a salo in the room. Is Mike Baslo in the room?
Speaker 3: Yes, he's sitting over there.
Speaker 4: What thanks for coming out, because on Saturday when I did your game, he didn't show up until the game started. I know he had his appendix out, but nobody cares. Okay, he was watching this. Yeah right, thank you. So I'm glad that he could make it for the playoffs, but not for a regular season meaningless game for you. So tell him I appreciate his effort.
Speaker 2: Yeah he's laughing. He pointed at his appendix. But I think we just stick with no excuses.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 1: You can get the Appendixiety said.
Speaker 4: He was back the next day and then.
Speaker 1: Go to the trainer's table and.
Speaker 4: He's like, oh, I'm my appendix rupture there. Sake this out for me i've done. Had to wait two days later.
Speaker 3: I don't stand.
Speaker 1: Hey Quid, good stuff man. Great to have you on. Thanks for the time. Hope you enjoyed it. Good luck will be watching. We're excited.
Speaker 3: Awesome. Thank you guys, really appreciate it. Have a good one.
Speaker 1: You too, have a good one. Quinn Priester from the Brewers. You can watch him later this week in the DSM.