Speaker 1: You know when you said you're rolling, you see me rolling? They hanging.
Speaker 2: Trying to catch me dirty. Yeah, it took me a.
Speaker 1: Minute, huh. I know right. I was like, come on, now, you got it up. We're about to pull your Brown cards.
Speaker 2: Long day. Wait, that is what made me lose my brown card. Not knowing the lyrics to ride and Dirty.
Speaker 1: I mean, everybody, there's certain songs that you just are.
Speaker 2: Like, come on, I've given you so many other reasons. I didn't know who remy Ma was at first.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was crazy. Tell me that at least you you well, you don't really watch Ratchet TV. Do you watch Housewives of the Real Housewives of Atlanta?
Speaker 2: So yesterday I spent six hours watching a Great British bakeoff on Netflix?
Speaker 1: So you had me excited. You welcome into the Ratchet club. Girl, I'm stripping you over. Your Ratchet card has been revoked, not that it was your your your application was pending and you just got you know, you're like you put to the bottom of the pile and Sothemically I don't, but Ratchet TV helps me watch dishes, and so.
Speaker 2: I'm not judging no, for sure. I mean your Nikki leaks is my Is that her name? Y'all said, y'all and yes her, And that's the only one I know. She's your Paul and Mary. I know we have to have some listeners who watched the Great British Bakeoff, like we have to, or at least the American version.
Speaker 1: I didn't even know there's such a thing. Tell me at least. I mean, like, well, I watch HG TV. I'm assuming you partake.
Speaker 2: I used to when we paid for cable, and now it is harder to find, so not as much, not as much. Well, but yeah, yeah, I love my property brothers. I love Magnolia.
Speaker 1: I love Fixer Upper. That's my favorite.
Speaker 2: Are you ready to see your fixer Upper?
Speaker 1: Ship flop ship Lap?
Speaker 2: I had to google what the hell is ship Lap? And the silos, I'm like, what the silo?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I love Yeah. So anyway, for those of you who do partic partake in a little ratchet from time to time. So I don't watch the show, but I do watch the reunion episodes because I mean, if you really want to just get to the to the drama, I'm just like, I really don't care about the day to day to the show, but the reunion episodes are life and I was like, oh, Phaedra caught in that line. For those of you I know, Mandy's like, I have no idea what she's talking about. But for those of you who are listening, fade got what was coming through her. I can't stand.
Speaker 2: Anyone named Fedra type belongs on that show. They're up to no good?
Speaker 1: Right, so ad honey, Finally, anything done in the dark will come out to light, like a grandma would say, right, this is a black grandma saying, what does it come out in the wash? Wait? What does it come out in the wash? Will come out in the rings? Wait? Something like that. I don't know. I had an African grandma. She didn't. Those are not her type of parables. But anyway, something basically that, like, nothing secret you know, will stay secret long. So yeah, yeah, So that was just a little, you know, a little beginning ratchet opening up. So have you been Mandra? Swell?
Speaker 2: Simply swell. It was a rough week, man. I don't know, if you leave for vacation, you come back to work. The first week it was rough. I had like a real world hangover. I'm like, I forgot how early the mornings are and how much coffee I need. But I'm back. I'm back at it.
Speaker 1: I was gonna ask how it was coming back after like your world wind life.
Speaker 2: You know, it's hard. It's not like it used to be when I used to working at a big company where you could be gone for a week or two and then back and it's like you just kind of pick up where you left off. But you know, being just in a management role, and then at a smaller company when it came back, it was like, Okay, these million things piled up and then you have all these million things to edit and stuff. So just a little bit of catch up. But I feel a lot better now. I feel a lot And we had a very relaxing weekend where I like didn't leave the house really on like had some friends over on Saturday and cooked and then Sunday, like I said, great British bake off all day.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to do. I binge on any shows. It's very rare typically, you know, after an episode or two, I'm like all right, I'm over, But like every once in a while, like I've binged on Blue Bloods. That was pretty good. Me and Superman before is that j Love show? Show Mandy.
Speaker 2: No, Oh, I was sure.
Speaker 1: I was right.
Speaker 2: Sure, Wait what's were blood girl? I'm really good with TV usually I know the show like that.
Speaker 1: You know, you would think that Mandy I was a millennial and Mandy was not. I mean it's like baby could get turned up there. He is colder here. No, it's not. No, it's like some I don't even know what Chandeler comes on. I just like watch it online on Netflix.
Speaker 2: Sometimes the hell is her show called? Then? Because I swear it's blue something.
Speaker 1: It probably is, but I don't. I don't. I typically like I don't watch too much like current TV. Instead, I'm like, if I'm going to watch TV, it's typically ach TV. And then if there's something ratchet on on occasion, I'll partake. But and then I just go back to work because honestly, I'm just like it's just kind of like my escape away when I'm like, oh, I don't want to think about anything responsible. Where are the housewives?
Speaker 2: Yes? I think we all need that little bit of like just give your brain a mental if you have a job that's like mentally draining. Some jobs aren't so mentally draining, they're physically draining or whatever. But like at the end of the day, my brain hurts, and you just don't you just can't think yeah anymore. That's why when people ask me, oh, you might you must listen to all those financial podcasts you're you know, personal finance whatever, I'm like, sure, don't, sure, don't. I read and talk about this stuff all day. I don't know anything about uh, you know, these financial podcasts or whatnot. Because I just can't take any more. I want to listen to like all the like the storytelling podcasts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have to get into something. You have to give you something.
Speaker 2: Crime. I like the crime ones. There's some good ones. Yeah, I love. If you're looking for like a good storytelling podcast, it doesn't get better than Strangers. It's this is like amazing narrative and every episode usually there's there might be a couple that are two partners, but usually it's so it's about an hour, hour and a half episode and she really like tells the story and they're the stories are all over the place, like how this family adopted these two Haitian children from Miami and then ends up adopting their mother and bringing everyone over to you know, to like the story of a girl who's you know, sexually assaulted by her father and then finds, you know resolution. It's just it's really good. I don't mean to go on a tangent.
Speaker 1: No story, okay, no, because I've started to go back in the gym in the morning and I need something to keep me from looking like at the clock. Literally I'm like really one minute, oh my gosh, when I'm like like on the treadmill or whatever, and I'm like, I need something that's gonna keep me going, you know, And so I need to be entertained, you know. So I'm looking for some good podcasts to start to get into because music doesn't do it for me. Like I can listen for a little bit and I'm like, oh, I hear you.
Speaker 2: I totally hear you.
Speaker 1: You know. So like either I talk to a friend on the phone or and that doesn't that's not really all that productive because then I'm like, let me sell the treadmill that I'm breathed to her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right.
Speaker 1: So I'm like, if I can listen to something that's like engaging, it'll keep me going for longer.
Speaker 2: But people are not here to listen to us talk about other.
Speaker 1: Welcome, I know, welcome I had a big milestone today. It was so random. Me and Superman are so random.
Speaker 2: I wasn't sure if I could say anything. So I'm excited that you got to it already.
Speaker 1: I sent you the picture like it's happening. We were just we were at City Hall really because we had a meeting with the Housing and Economic Development Office because we've been having trouble finding a house, as you know, and so I wanted to be like, like, you know, what's going on. Is there something that you guys can do, and are their programs and whatever. So we had a really good meeting where they're going to help us to really move forward in the home buying process because you know, the first house we were so excited about, but then it didn't pass inspection. It was like contaminated soil, messed up foundation, blah blah blah, everything was wrong. So we had to walk away second house. You know, we look the other two or three houses that we've seen since then that we put in offers for, we've been outbid, so it's been like really disappointing. So I was like, well, you know what, let me go to the city to see they have him helping some solutions and they are going to help us. So I'm excited about that. So hopefully and then you know, a few months, something will something will pop. And while we were there, because last week we'd gone to get a marriage license but the city of Newark didn't, we talked about this last week they held up for ransom. Yeah, that was really weird.
Speaker 2: They were hacked.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so the hacker, you know, held you know, the city or the city's files anyway for ransom for like thirty thousand dollars. I'm like, what are you twelve? You know, like it just seemed like such a random, arbitrary number. So anyway, either they fixed it or they paid them. And so when we were there today, he was like, you know what, we should go downstairs to see if we can get our marriage license. I'm like, I didn't bring our application, but we could probably fill it out downstairs. But I'm like, do I have a random bill? Because you have to bring a bill with you to prove residency. And I happen to have and this like never happens. I happened to have a random light bill in my purse. I'm like, oh, and it was it was recent. It was like this month's light bill. I was like, well, this works out perfectly. But then we also needed a witness, and so he was like, well, let me see, you know, my best friend, and he happened to be like around the corner, which is also weird. I'm like, what at the universe? Just lining everything up? He's like, I'm actually around the corner at a diner. So he was like, well, come around.
Speaker 2: So here I was coupled together a wedding and minute, you.
Speaker 1: Know, when you apply for the license, you're just applying for the license. You're not you know, it's not like you get married. And so you apply for the license and then they ask you, you know, when you're gonna get married or where, and then we were like, well, we're just gonna go to the Justice of the Peace, which in New York is just the courthouse, which is next door. And she was like all right, take this slip to the courthouse and they'll give you a date. And I was like, okay. It felt so weird and it's a real I was like all right. So we went to the courthouse and they were like, you know, this is the nearest date, you know, and I was like, okay, is that when you want to get married, and he was like sure. He was like, give us the quickest, the soon ast date you have.
Speaker 2: And I was like, and then they're like, oh, it's that kind of wedding congratulations.
Speaker 1: And then and then and then it's so crazy to have a business trip literally the next day. And I was like, mayb, maybe we should pick it up the date because I'm a business trip. And he was like, I mean, our life is like it's not like, you know, we're already living together, you know. So he was like, well, that's just life. So I was like, okay, so we're just gonna go to the courthouse. I am gonna gonna you know, get something cute and wear something cute. But it's exciting but weird because I thought to myself, I wasn't gonna think it was a big deal because you know, like I feel like, well, we're like married now. But then you're like, whoa, I see what you mean, Mandy. I'm like, I feel like it's like real.
Speaker 2: You know, because I have to be a big deal. Make it a big deal. I mean, I know you're doing it low key, but you should still make it. I think it's really sattle.
Speaker 1: You should like I text my my friend who well, like she's a makeup artist, and so she like, I have a bunch of friends who are makeup artists, but she was amazing when she did my face, and so I texted her. She's like, oh, yeah, I'm available. I was like yes, And so I'm going to reach out to another friend of mine who has a she like makes wedding gowns to see if she's going to make something like simple and really cute and like summary for me, I'm really excited to be married, getting married, like you know, when the weather's going to be nice, because like that's so me. I don't want to wear like, you know, some big, heavy gown. I want something like floating and like a summer dress.
Speaker 2: You know, as soon as the when's the big day? Can I ask?
Speaker 1: It's gonna be in June?
Speaker 2: Oh a June wedding.
Speaker 1: I know at the end of June. I'll just say, because I feel like some people are crazy, you be surprised. I've eaten places and people have just shown up. So I'm like, I just kind of don't want someone to be like I heard you gotta get married today.
Speaker 2: I know how it is a Newark Tiffany is a public figure. It just never I love they come by with like a potato salad, and then.
Speaker 1: Afterwards we'll probably like, you know, like me and because I'm just literally just like my mom, my dad, my sisters, and my two best friends and his immediate family. And then we're gonna have a big to me when we get our house. Then I want to have a big invite everybody that we care about. Well not big, but you know, the like the reception slash party when we get a house.
Speaker 2: And so that's it.
Speaker 1: So I'm excited though, because I'm like, hey, I ain't know. I'm like, way, I'm going to get married, lady could feel so weird. I never really thought I was gonna get married. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so capitol w weiss it is a big deal.
Speaker 1: I know. I'm like, whoa, this seems weird and it's so crazy, Like I have not cooked in like forever. I'm the worst sometimes, Like I'm the type of like I will.
Speaker 2: Like you see that every episode, like literally every episode. It's been so long. I feel so bad. I cooked some dinner tonight. I think it's every other Sunday or Monday. You are cooking dinner.
Speaker 1: Like when I cook, like I'll like go hard for like two or three weeks, and then I'll take off a week like I don't feel like doing any day. And so I was like, I felt like it's such a good wifely mood. I'm like, I'm gonna make a fold that I made meat, love roast potatoes, roasted vegetables, and I even made gravy from scratch for the.
Speaker 2: First Oh delicious.
Speaker 1: I know, I didn't even know how. I have a call friend of mine. I was like, I'll take I don't know how to do this for two hundred Alex. So that's my lad.
Speaker 2: Well, while you were out getting married and I was honeymooning, apparently like the Republicans finally got around to completely f and up our healthcare system. Well they're halfway there anyway. This new I love how they're calling it. What are they calling the American Health Act or something like that, Uh, their replacement for Obamacare. So strike one, they didn't get their first plan through, so now they've pushed through some kind of turd, yeah, through the house.
Speaker 1: Exactly like that.
Speaker 2: Like they were like they're like, just eat this shit pie that we made for you. Like, I just keep thinking of what's her face from the help, you know, when she makes the boos the pie and then feeds it, Like we're the white woman who's being fed the ship pie right now. It's sort of how I feel. Yeah, this, uh, this Healthcare Act is like I don't know what else to say about it, just big fat turd.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, it's only it has to still pass of what the Senate.
Speaker 2: It has to go through the Senate. Yeah, but the fact that the House passed that I think is what's frightening because at least the last time it was blocked and and I think that the biggest, the biggest, like shocker, not shocker, but the fact that they're eliminating eight hundred billion dollars from the Medicaid system and somehow think that Medicaid is going to get better and that it's going to bring more health care to more people. And I'm like, I don't understand how tax cuts for the rich and then taking away eight hundred billion dollars is going to make that any better. And on top of that, it's going to make things like pregnancy being a woman, like a lot of women related needs, like a pre existing condition where you could like you may still get healthcare, but you may have to pay a lot more for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean, I am definitely not going to say say that. You know, the system that you know, President Obama put, you know, brought him to existence was perfect. It wasn't. It was expensive and a little bit convoluted, but it was a start to something. I feel like folks just didn't want it because it was him, you know, like certain people you know that like if you said, hey, I want to fix health care because that's that's what it should be. It's like this president brought in a system that we didn't have it all before, where everyone should have health care. It's not perfect, so every president should be improving upon it, versus just saying like well no, you know, like I just feel like it's more about about you know, discrediting his legacy than it is about really wanting to help people. And I'm just like, and then it's so crazy. I think to myself of the people, some of the people that voted for him, and how they're going to suffer, And I'm like, do you even realize you know what I mean, Like, did you really think this billionaire was this down to earth guy who was like, you know what you there, you know in the backwoods of Alabama. I'm I'm for you, Like, are you crazy? That's not what's happening, Like, it's just I don't know. Well, I mean, I guess if anything is the one thing that this has helped is that you saw you saw the French elections.
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I feel like that some of the result. I was just reading this article from the New York Times called them what what is it? What's wrong with France or something like that, and basically saying that part of the reason why you know whatever his name starts with the M he won over basically their Donald Trump was because of our Donald Trump. You know. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Marilla Penyah, she well she was like the populist complete like the xenophobic. Yeah, the Trump of France essentially. So it was kind of like a sigh of relief that she didn't win, because it was looking like she was gonna lose. I mean, sorry that she was gonna, uh, if not win, but at least get a bigger share. And I think I read this was last night, so maybe it changed, but looked like she had that. The the guy who won Macron had has that how you say his name Macron. I think I took four years of French I shouldn't know that he got like sixty four percent of the vote, which was a huge margin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I heard it actually was more like sixty six and really okay, yeah, Like I was like this morning when I was on the tread mill, I was like, oh, you know, and it was just crazy. And then so many people like I was just like reading like article after article, and so many folks were like, we don't want, we don't want what happened in America to happen here.
Speaker 2: Well, he was still different. He was still an independent candidate completely sort of like he was aver. He reviewed sort of like the status quo U in French government. But at least he wasn't like the xenophobic crazy person. Yeah Trump, I wish it almost makes you wish, you know, I he you know, he was a little bit Burnie esque, I guess, yeah, okay, if not in his policies. I don't know much about his policies. I don't think it was his policies that made him Bernie esque. But he was like the anti Hillary, but still on the other side, you know, what I mean, Yeah, like not so establishment and definitely yeah, thirty nine years old too.
Speaker 1: I know that's crazy.
Speaker 2: He's a baby.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was like, oh, so like my brother is going to be like so what we're going to do is right? Yeah? So, I mean I don't know.
Speaker 2: So the world's not totally in a hell going to hell in a hand basket, but it certainly feels like. I mean, I was I was reading something about Glorious Sin and said about Trump. But I think we can all agree that yes, he's a class a moron and completely incompetent and has no idea what he's doing this job. But he's also I think made America wake up in a way and the attention in a way that we haven't before and get involved. I mean, everybody is talking about this, the passage of the new health plan in the House and going ahead to send it and just encouraging everyone to contact your legislators. Go just go to your senate's website and send an email or call, leave a voicemail to your senator and let them know that you don't want this and speak up and have a voice. It worked the first time because the bill didn't pass the first time, you know, hopefully it can work again. Yeah, I agree, I wish they would. You know, it's like naive, you want to wish that they won't let politics get in the way or but you know that this is a big deal for Trump to pass something and say that he accomplished something. You know, he didn't have the best one hundred days and now he's got to at least get his health plan across and it was a huge fail when he did it. So for him, it's ego. It's like I need to get something through, and unfortunately they're not taking the time to maybe improve upon what's already there. They're just trying to rip it apart and just build something even jankier.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is crazy. It just makes you like sometimes you just want to like check out. You're like, h chia call me tomorrow, Like I'll peek my head and I'll read some stuff, and I'm like, oh, my head, my heart, I can't well grind, break ground break.
Speaker 2: It makes me just it makes me grateful to have, you know, employer coverage and I I mean, it's gonna be honestly, it's it's the use of the it's the you, it's the entrepreneurs, it's the self employed, it's the people who work for small businesses and then don't get healthcare. We're gonna have to deal with this crap.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna lie. So we went to get our marriage license today. Superman was like, welcome to health insurance. Oh that's right, yeah, yeah, because he's got awesome helvisus. He works for the city, so his health insurance is like that grade A Like what when he had his annuals and surgery two years ago, he didn't pay not a nickel or not. I mean he had, like, you know, all the best of everything, the best doctors, the best aftercare everything, and you know, and I just remember being like, WHOA, what health insurance do you have? They even treat you differently, Mandy. When we walked in places, he we give his card and it was like we sat in a different waiting.
Speaker 2: Room, like oh no, no, no, you don't have to add a little.
Speaker 1: I remember, no, but I do remember like he had to get a he was like he had a headache after he'd had surgery, you know, and so he had to get a not a memor ran. I'm look at me. What are those things called? When you go through like that, like the not an ultrasound. They put you in that big huge magneque land in your back. It's like a little circle. They put you inside of it ultrasound, No din of my memory. I'm all right, there you go. Remember. So we went to the emergency room and they immediately put him in a room, and I was like okay. And then when we came out, the emergency room was full and there was an older gentleman like in his seventies. So like an older, older gentleman in the hallway on like a gurney, and I was like, well, how long have you been here? He was like oh hours. I said, well what are you waiting for? He said, MRI And I was like what. And so when Superman found out, he went to the head nurse and said, you know, like he can have my room. I didn't, you know, we're waiting for the same thing, and I don't it just it golt wrong to have this seventy year old man like in the hallway and she's said, oh no, no, no, you guys are here for different things or whatever. And I asked my brother in law later, like does that make sense? He was like, he said, I guarantee you. It's about insurance. He was like, you know, your fiance can pay his insurance can pay for that room, and that gentleman probably didn't have any and it just made me say, wow, doesn't that feel so terrible? You know?
Speaker 2: That was my dad before Obamacare. My dad would go to Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta and I would call him in the morning. He'd be in for like he's had knee pain and like other issues since he's gotten older. But yeah, he'd go in in the morning and he would still be there when I got off work, waiting and waiting and waiting for an emergency room. It got to I mean, my dad now he has made friends and he has doctor friends who will see him. He had Obamacare, He had a plan through Obamacare. That's how he got his gastric bypass surgery two or three years ago. And you know that was completely covered and he paid for it for a year and then the price has got to be too expensive and he was like, nope, not doing that anymore. So uh, yeah, he didn't go back and I don't think he will be back. And that's that scares me, as his daughter, thinking of you know what if something really serious happens, and you know, he'll laugh and he'll like look at He'll show me his like bathroom counter, which is like covered in every single supplement that you can get a CVS basically, or that you can see on Doctor Oz, and he's like, I'm fine, I take my gensing and my doo ding and I have my spinach smoothies. But I know that's not a healthcare plan. Yeah, and it Yeah, it's frustrating that there's nothing, you know, nothing for him at least as it stands. And I don't see that it's going to be getting better anytime soon fortunately.
Speaker 1: So this is just a random little twist. Do you remember, like you being a journalist and like, so, have you ever written for Ebity magazine? Never? So, do you know you know, like, I don't know what happened with Ebony, but I guess one of their writers. Did you see that? It was like a while ago, maybe like a week or so ago. Well a writer had said, like I've been the magazine is not paying its writers, and then it became this whole Twitter hashtag kind of like campaign where like other writers like steps stood up and were like, yeah, they have not paid me either, and it was like, oh, it's such a shame because you know, Ebony is this iconic black magazine, you know, Yeah, And I guess they've been struggling for a while financially because I remember maybe it was last year that I heard that Ebany was trying to sell their their archives. They're like their pictures, the physical archives of like I guess, they're the pictures that they've collected over years and years and years, and I thought, wow, that would truly be lost if it wasn't available for the public somewhere like in a museum and somebody like a private collector collected them. And I just remember they thinking shady, like, Oh, I remember I wrote for Ebony, like I don't know, three or four years ago, I wrote an article. Chah. It took them nine months to pay me. I think it was like three hundred dollars. Oh, nine months of like daily emails. And you know, back then, three hundred dollars was I mean, it's still a lot of money now, but especially back then, you know. Yeah, And I just remember every day, every week, every Monday, it was like one of my routine. It's Monday time to hit up Ebony. I didn't really think I was gonna get it, and then one day it came to the mail and I nearly cried tears of joy. Nine months and so I thought it was just me because you know, like, who was I I thought that they were like.
Speaker 2: Girl, oh, it's never just you. Yeah, especially when it yeah, these magazines, that's just a sign of trouble and how they've been struggling though, I just for a long time. So what happened did that writer?
Speaker 1: Now? Ebony basically was like, we don't know what you're talking about. I mean, it's such a shame because, like I said, I just thought it was meal. You know. Of course I was never gonna say anything publicly or post anything or whatever. I just thought, oh that I'm a small time and they were like, girl, you're not even on our radar or whatever. And but to hear that they haven't paid some major major writers, I'm like, why is that? You know? That's crazy to me?
Speaker 2: Google Hello Google? So oh yeah. So on Friday they announced that they were cutting one third of their staff, which and I was at first, I was like, oh my god, how many people ten there's only thirty five employees. Wow, man, that's that's that's teeny for a magazine thirty five Now they're only going to have twenty five.
Speaker 1: That's crazy.
Speaker 2: They're moving from Chicago to California. I mean, that's it's especially sad because it's Ebony, which means so much to the African American experience in the US. But also just you know, magazines in general, it's just not like it used to be. You know, they're just uh, it's I literally I studied magazines in college and that's not even a major anymore because everyone knows that's not a career, you know, that's not a specific career you should be you know, striving toward I guess, you know. And I worked at a magazine at my first job in New York, and it's kind of sad to see them, to see them struggle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you're right, it's iconic and so but you know, you've you've heard you've all heard that like magazines, you know, are not making money anymore, that people are really you know online and digital.
Speaker 2: Maybe someone will some of like big investor will save them. I feel like that's what they need. Yeah, I feel like you never know, you never know, you never know.
Speaker 1: Theybele have to make a shift. You know, Like you heard the Adidas right, Adidas is no longer going to be doing magazine ads or any of their their shift. They're shifting all of their ad money to just just digital. That's humongous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's just killed some magazines, I know exactly.
Speaker 1: So it's hard, like you know, even TV. Look what's happening with Netflix and Hulu and stuff like and so you know somebody that you know, how do you get money for these shows? How you get money for these These advertisers advertise on your show, but if you know people are not watching, then there's really no money in it for them. And honestly, my marketing guy, who I'm like aka the Genius, one of the things he told me was, and this is years ago, we well a year or so ago we first started working together, he said, Tiffin, you have to get into digital marketing now. You know. At the time, I was like, I don't even know what that means. And he was like, so he said, here's why, he said, right now, people don't really get it, so it's cheap. He said, like for example, Google ads, when they first came out, people it was only the computer geeks and so there was a lot of computer geeks making big money on Google Ads, and then once these big companies understand, hey there's money to be made here, then they throw so much money at it that they make it so that you can't afford it anymore, you know, because you know, you know, Adidas is paying ten thousand dollars you know, a day in ads, and you're like, well, my ten dollars doesn't do anything anymore. And so he was like, digital ads are like that. This was like last year or a year and a half ago. He was like, these large companies are slow to move, so there's still money in it. Like It's one of the reasons, honestly, why I was able to go from when I started working with him twenty thousand community members like dream Catchers to three hundred thousand in a year and a half. It was because we were using digital ads and inexpensively, like we were converting people, and converting means this that how much money do you have to spend for someone to take the action you want them to take. So I might say, hey, I want people to side up for my challenge, and so I'm going to spend ten dollars and if the conversion rate is a dollar for person. That means for every ten dollars I spend, I get ten people. We were converting people for as low as a penny. A penny sometimes that's unheard of. And so and then there's some people who if you're not good at doing ads, you convert people like for example, there I know an insurance company that it takes them twenty five dollars to get one person. So now what's going to happen these bigger companies kind of come into this digital space is that it's going to cost more money to convert, and smaller people are not going to for that. And so for those of y'all with small businesses, if you don't know nothing about Facebook ads and Instagram ads or whatever, you have like another year and maybe a little bit to learn before you get outpriced. And honestly, it's just it's really why it's so useful or it just even better than a magazine. Think about when you pick up a magazine, you never know who's picking up that magazine to see your ad. But when you're on Facebook, you can literally say I want black women ages twenty five to forty who live in Florida and like to watch Real Housewives of Atlanta. If Facebook will whittle it down to that list for you and only show your ads those people, so you can really get so specific about who sees it. Because once you know your archetype, like the type of person that enjoys your brand already, you can find that woman over and over and over and over again. That's what I figured out. Like, we figured out that women who liked Black Enterprise versus essence liked me, and women who like which is weird illness Elba but not Oprah liked me. Right, So there's like this weird like mix of a type of personality that really would enjoy me if they knew I existed. So once we figured out like what her archetype was, we just started putting ads toward her and you know and saying, hey, you know, we've got this like great, this great resource, the Live Ritual Challenge, and so yeah, if you're a business person, you need to learn now how to how to start doing digital ads and stuff or else you're going to be left behind and it's going to get too expensive to do.
Speaker 2: So I just read this headline. I needed to share it though the Senate has I was talking about Yeah, well, hopefully the Senate's going to block this healthcare bell. But I just read that they have formed a committee of thirteen members, all of whom are men, to discuss the future this Healthcare Act and you know, women's needs and oh yeah, the current version of the bill is going to defund planned parenthood for a year. So yay, America. Just don't the ambulance fans.
Speaker 1: I'm like, so nobody has any daughters, nobody has like any They don't care.
Speaker 2: They don't care. They don't care because they're like, oh, well, I have money, my daughter will be fine. They don't care about you know, they don't care about the susie who's the you know, doesn't have healthcare. Parents can't afford to help to help her, you know, or pay for her to travel across state lines to get an abortion if she's sexually assaulted or something like that. You know, they don't, they don't, they don't know. They cry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm just like, how do you sleep at night? And I'm just like, I guess you're right. So people literally have divorced themselves from the fact that everyone doesn't look like them.
Speaker 2: Absolutely well, it easier than ever because they live in other increasing the living in a bubble where the people in the administration. Every photo of the current administration makes me want to like hurl or it makes my stomach tight because I see it is like white man, white man, white man, white man, white man, woman, white man, white man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's Morosa.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you're like, oh, hey, look, oh no, she's just a reporter, Like, oh no, she's just there delivering the news or delivering the mail. You know, it's it's not it's not a great time.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh chah, Well that's a great segue into are we gonna boos? Are we gonna break? Either way, we're staying brown. I like that, but I'm gonna keep that. It's brown break, brown booth time.
Speaker 2: You're so confident. I'm like, yeah, I like it too.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I just had to like loosen, like lighten up the mood because I'm like, oh, that whole forty five makes me so depressed. I don't matter what. No, forty five, you know, that's the number of our presidents. The presidents. I don't even like say his name, So forty five makes me, Yeah, Ley moron, it makes me depressed.
Speaker 2: Listen, you're gonna boost her break Evening.
Speaker 1: I think I'm going to boost. It's a little random, but I think it's a little lighthearted. So I'm gonna boost Zendaya. Here's why this little this young woman is everything. Have you seen this, Like, you know, there's a show called Lipstick Battle? Yes, I know, yes, yes, on the same cultural page. Look at this.
Speaker 2: I see YouTube videos. I know, I know what's up Chrissy Till cool J.
Speaker 1: Yes, and so it's a fun show. And I mean I've seen everybody on there, from Lupita to Mary j BLI just it's just a fun, fun, fun show. So Zendeia did she did this really fun Erica Badou Lipstick Battle to Tyrone. She's got the big head rap. Honestly, it's literally I gotta watch that. Yes, it is everything. I was like, wait a minute, So I just said, you know what. I always love her. She looked amazing at the met gala. She had very afrocentric dress on, huge like loose curl frown.
Speaker 2: So I was definitely watching the metcal of red carpet via Twitter. Yeah, just refreshing that hashtag refresh Risanna, refresh. That's a big picture of Mandy Kaling refresh exactly.
Speaker 1: She was everything at the at the met gala, and so yeah, I just think that as a day. Every time you know, you read about her, she's either standing up for herself or someone else's rits or just flang. And so just a little boost to you, Zee, that's it.
Speaker 2: I love her. Good boost And it's fun if you follow, Like there's all this there's like a new class of young black girl magic, like among celebrities like Yara Hashidi from Blackish, and then Zendeia and then Amandola Stenberg and and then two it's like the fairy godmothers like Tracy Ellis Ross and Kerrie Washington, Shonda Rhimes and do Ava Duvernet and I follow them all on Instagram and it's so cute because they all share each other's posts and they all like, like, you know, support each other. It's really beautiful. But just throwing that out there, I want to do I'm gonna do a boost too. And I love this time of year because it's college graduation season. And congratulations to the class of twenty seventeen, which includes my really good friend Toulou who just actually got her masters. I just got her NBA when I'm super proud of her because she did it while commuting an hour and a half to school with a toddler.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah for most I think for half the year, he was in daycare at her school, so she was commuting with her son to class, like really just juggling everything. So shout out to Tulou. Hey Tulu, Hey Tulu. And I want to shout out because my favorite time of this is the reason I like this time of year so much is because there's always these like fabulous stories of these like black Girl, Black Boy, Matt of like kids getting into every single Ivy League school. And there's two that we shared and I wanted to share them. So this one is that as this teenager who apparently did not get asked to prom, which I can't imagine because she's gorgeous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I saw this hilarious.
Speaker 2: So instead of not instead of going, you know, just spaying the night at home and eating ice cream, she showed up a prom uh with her Harvard acceptance letter in her hand.
Speaker 1: And they're.
Speaker 2: So badass, Like, who what school does she go to? For some idiot not to want to take her A problem I don't understand, So shout out to her, I'm gonna find her name real quick. Oh Priscilla, samey. She's seventeen years old. So that was badass. And then the Quadruples. Did you see this? The quadruples from Ohio?
Speaker 1: Yeah, who all.
Speaker 2: Got into IVY leagues and they're going to go to college together.
Speaker 1: That is awesome.
Speaker 2: Where they go on Yale?
Speaker 1: Oh Yale?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yea yeah. The one I'll go into Yale is right there. Seriously, it's hard to get one kid right plus four.
Speaker 1: I know. And then on top of that, like what I mean, I've been like my sister, you know, she just had her baby, so I've been like sleeping over because her husband works nights, and I was sleeping over and like babysitting or at least helping because she had the newborn that she has to get up every few hours to feed. And then she's got the one and a half year old Roman, who is crazy in a good way, but still crazy. And I was like, yo too, dude, two yo. I would try to put the baby to sleep and Roman is doing flips, like look at me. His big thing is wow, he knows like three words. Wow. Wow. I'm like, Roman, we get it. It starts like, wow, I'm like, I don't know what are you communicating? That was so overwhelmed. I can't imagine four So congrats to your parents, quadruplets, quadruplets, quads, whatever, Just congrats.
Speaker 2: And the dad has quoted us saying what's the secret. He says, lots of push ups and stead up and running, discipline and structure. That's a good dad right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I could see that, Like, what you're not gonna do is make me crazy.
Speaker 2: I guess just god man like good parenting. I guess just four kids at one time.
Speaker 1: My god. She see the article that the kids inherit their they're smart from their mom.
Speaker 2: Oh I believe that one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was like, ah, I never thought they were, like because I guess is it the why is it women's we're the Y chromosome or the X chromosome?
Speaker 2: We have double X, so double X.
Speaker 1: And they said that your intelligence is found in that chromosome. So it doesn't matter who your daddy is. Your mama gives you your brain. And I said, oh, interesting.
Speaker 2: Some dads are like, whoof not my fault, that's all you.
Speaker 1: So I just thought I throw that in there, like all right, well, congratulations, mama.
Speaker 2: Well that's my brown break to all the college guys at twenty seventeen makes me feel so old.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what about these prom pictures? Prom? Two K? What is it? Prom to seventeen? K?
Speaker 2: I don't know from two K?
Speaker 1: No prom seventeen.
Speaker 2: I mean like I've been seeing like, oh, two K seventeen, that's what it is, two K seventeen.
Speaker 1: And so if you click on that these prom dresses. I mean I was on looking today and I thought to myself, so is she is she? Is she twenty five? I mean these girls look like grown, beautiful, accomplished. I have a job and a Porsche and a penthouse apartment in New York City. Women meanwhile, they're like, I'm sixteen.
Speaker 2: Their parents are like they look.
Speaker 1: But they look. I mean, I did not have it. I don't have this together now, Like now, I can't even slay like that. These girls are out here slaying and I just I can't deal. And I love it.
Speaker 2: Did you go to prom?
Speaker 1: I did, but nobody asked me either. So my best friend had her date say, you know, I'm going with Tiffany and Veronica. I was like, oh, I love you, Veronica.
Speaker 2: That's the way to do it. Just go with your girlfriends. Yeah, just go with your girlfriends.
Speaker 1: Actually, her mom like, could you hook me up? She was like, oh yeah, no, I.
Speaker 2: Do remember that. My twelfth grade prom dress was a big that was like my first big purchase. I think it was two hundred and eighty dollars and I picked it out a special and I worked really hard at the gap and then I took my gay ex boyfriend.
Speaker 1: To the problem. Did you know he was gay? Well, obviously not when you were dating. No, I was so naive.
Speaker 2: Everybody but me knew let's not go down that. Let's not go down that role. Now you guys know officially, you officially know way too much about my life, way too much.
Speaker 1: Great.
Speaker 2: He was a great dance partner.
Speaker 1: I think we all liked the guy that You're like, how did I not? How did how did I not? How did I go?
Speaker 2: Not only did I go with him? I turned down the hot six foot something basketball player who I will not name. Maybe he listens, why don't you turned down because I had a crush on a crush on my gay ex boyfriend. He was very sensitive and listen to me.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Oh my gosh, feel like he's so great, he's like a friend. He's like, if you only do.
Speaker 2: He braids my hair? He didn't do that, all right, anyway, we're going down a treacherous path.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that is how hilarious And he's like no, clearly, like yeah, that is hilarious.
Speaker 2: They were an all Ivy League. Quadrupe was from we were in school. Okay to school with the Ivy League quadrup was our questions. Our listeners do have questions. And you know what I love even more is when they when people get up to us or back to us. I can't speak today when they get back to us with updates. So I don't remember what we used for this woman's code name a while back, but she asked us a question I would say a couple of months ago, she says, a few. I feel like it was longer, asking about she needed encouragement to find a new job and to continue her job or she wasn't happy at her job. And I forget what we said, but apparently it was awesome, because she says, I just wanted to let you know that. I ended up having two offers this week for new opportunities I found through networking. I have happily accepted an offer and will be starting at the end of May.
Speaker 1: Yeahs, we'll be making things happen me where I'm like, what do we say?
Speaker 2: I'm sure she did all the work, I know, but that's exciting.
Speaker 1: Yay.
Speaker 2: Even when you're down, you always bounce back, you know, Yeah, for sure. So if you have questions, as always, you can go to Brown Ambition Podcast dot com dot com where.
Speaker 1: You at.
Speaker 2: Slow all right, go ahead, or you can email us at Brown Ambition Podcast at gmail dot com. And if you go to the website Bronambition podcast dot com, you just have to click on ask us anything. And while you're there, take a look around at our beautiful websit. I go to our Facebook page, like us there, leave us a note chill out, meet each other and anyway, I'm mumbling now, so we'll go on to today's question. Let's just call her Okay, okay, okay, okay. So she says, Hi, girls, I'm a new listener and I am trying to become more aware and educated on my finances. Listening to your podcast, I realize that I'm currently in a circumstance that no one really talks about anymore. I'm currently working for a small business owner, and although it's very successful, my boss is not in a position to provide her office with any benefits other than vision and dental. With that being said, what is the best way to invest in a retirement of a retirement fund without the assistance of an employer and without employer matching shaw?
Speaker 1: You should It's not one of my employees. I know it's not because they don't even get vision in that anyway, we're working on it.
Speaker 2: I think this is probably a lot more common than than some people think, because a lot of small businesses don't have to offer If you have under a certain I think like twenty five or fifty, you don't have to offer any benefits. So so yeah, that's tough, but not impossible.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: I think your first step is and she's she asked specifically about retirement, although she didn't mention where she gets health care from. But since she asked about retirement, I would say you can easily open an IRA through a brokerage firm and some of my favorites because they tend to be very transparent, very long term investment, and very affordable. Our Vanguard Charles Schwab I'm about to get trans America and TD Ameritrade mixed up, but they're both fine. So but top top top pick will probably be Banguard, Vanguard, uh In Tarls Schwab is another one.
Speaker 1: Rock iray or you're telling her.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean that's up to her. The difference between a wroth and a traditional iray. Traditional iray you put money in and it's put in tax free, and your tax later when you withdraw the funds. With a wroth iray, your tax today your current tax rate, and you withdraw the funds tax free when you're ready to retire. If you're wondering, why would I just give the government money now? The idea if you're younger, they typically say, although you'd probably want to get advice from a you know, investment excerpt, but typically the idea generally and why they'd want to they recommend people take out a wroth iray. It is because if you get tax at your current tax rate, as you get older, the ideas that your income will increase and so will go tax rate. So really it's a tax savings because you're forgetting tax at a lower rate today. It means you won't get tax at your higher rate later. Yeah, but again it's very it's hard to give general advice. But unfortunately, there's not much you can do if you don't get a match from your employer. All you can do is increase or try to increase. It just invests all that a little bit more than what you maybe would do if you're getting a match from your employer, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean yeah, because I and not every I mean, I don't know too many small businesses that do match. I mean because it's expensive to like, you know, bring on so in all and and to be all transparent. I just switch from an LLC, which is basically like it's just a different type of business, to an es corp, where now I work for my business, I'm not my business, which an LLC is kind of like you are your business, you know, And so with an es corp, you have to have at least one employee, one official official employee, like right now, I like on the books, they're not the people who work for me are not employee ease, they are contractors, right, So that because I can't afford and we're working towards that, but I can't afford because if I make somebody an employee there's certain things that you have to do, like you know, you have to there's certain packages you have to pay. I have to provide certain types, certain level of health care, you know that kind of stuff. So right now I'm the only official employee, and then the next employee, like hopefully later on this year it'll be my CEO CR and then we'll bring on more people. But you have to be able to pay for that, and so, you know, so you kind of ask yourself, do I bring on additional employees or do I the employees I do have, do I give them better benefits? And so everything costs, you know, a lot of money basically, But if you're with the company that you really see a lot of growth there and you see that it's like you know that there's a that there's something happening here. These are things you could talk to your employer about about, Like, you know, I we really love this because now, for example, I have a I don't I mean, for lack of better word, I guess she's like our CFO. But you know, like I said, I don't have any employees. She just does contract work for us, but she has been like really helping us to see what we're making versus what we're spending and what we can't spend before. Like literally this is how I used to make decisions. Sierra would be like, hey, you know, I think we should get this program. It's gonna you know, make it smoother to like add courses to the academy. How much is it thirty dollars A long?
Speaker 2: I like I had no, like, you know, I don't know the budget needs to have no budget for the business.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is so crazy because in my personal life budget to the tea. But with the business, I was more like, I don't know. You just do whatever you can to grow. And I'm like, well, the thing is we don't have any debt. The business doesn't have any debt, and so I just kind of felt like, well, we made money, so I know there's more than thirty dollars left over. So yeah, but there was no real I couldn't tell you what I was making versus what I was spending, although I kept really copious, like I kept really detailed records. So when Rachel, our new CFO, came on, she was like, for someone who was all over the place, you have like the best records, So like I kept record of every petty spent and every penny made, but there was no sense made out of those records, you see what I mean? And so like just because there was so much on top of everything else, I didn't really like, yeah, I could tell you like, oh, you know, this month we made ten thousand and then we spent you know, two, but there was no real sense made of like, well, where is the money really going? You know, how much of this is staff? How much of this is this? How much? So I didn't have any like reports. I just had like numbers like ten to eight, ten to two, three to four, you know. And so with her coming on, like I asked the other day, I always feel like that we're spending too much, you know. And I asked her the other day form for example, the academy, and I was like, you know, Rachel, can you share with us, like, you know, if we have a meeting every Thursday, with like a money meeting every Thursday with everyone. Rachel and I talk almost every day about money, but with everyone. And she said, you know that we spend six percent our operating expense is six percent of our gross I'm like, what, that's good, right? She was activity that's incredible and I was like, oh, Neil, I didn't. Who know, she's activity. You only have to spend six dollars to make one hundred dollars. And I was like, that's really that's good, okay. And so now we can work from a place of you know how business should go. So the two things I wish I would have known better, you know, as far as running a business is like one I should have gotten like an assistant sooner and to your money person. And so I say that to say I'm be a listener with this letter that sometimes sitting down and talking with like, I don't know how small the small business is, but oftentimes, you know, small business owners are good at not necessarily the money aspect. But they're good at the thing that they're doing. They're good at baking the cake, or they're good at singing the song or teaching or whatever that is, but they're not necessarily good at running the business. And a little nudging, a little suggestion can go a long way, because I know we go along with for me and so you know that would be my advice is that yes, do do it on your own, but don't don't discount that they haven't done it. Just because they don't want to. Maybe they just need some help restructuring, you know, their finances right.
Speaker 2: And it's and that's what makes it sort of hard to work for a small business too, is that it's almost good because you're so close and up close and personal with your with your bosses, with the founders and whatnot. But and you have the opportunity to speak up and ask for what you need or what you want. But it also is kind of like you have to because it's not like anyone else is going to do it. You know, like you really have to be your advocate. There's no HR department and you know, no union or whatever to talk up. So but in the in the near future, what K can certainly do is just open up a basic I ray and I'm a big fund, a big fund. Here I go again. I'm a big fan of target date funds. I think they're super simple. And these are just basically funds where you match it to the date you anticipate that you'll retire, and they'll they'll invest your funds accordingly. And typically that means more aggressive starting out with more stocks, and then as you get older and closer to retirement, it'll wean you off and shift your investments more toward low risk investments like bonds. And I think, well, I definitely know that Vanguard, Charles Schwab, Fidelity all have their own versions of target date funds, so they're all good. And you only need about what five hundred bucks to start five hundred to one thousand dollars to open up one of these accounts, so not very much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so just get started as sooner the better. When it comes to.
Speaker 2: Retirement, absolutely like don't yeah, and you don't let the fact that you don't have it makes it harder if you don't have, you know, a employment offering for benefits. But at the same time, I mean, just because your employer offers you benefits doesn't mean it's going to be awesome. Yeah, a good retirement plan. So it's nice to have control over everything in a way. Yeah, so thinks Okay, and again if you have questions, go to brand Ambition pot cast dot com or email us Front Ambition podcast at gmail dot com dot com. No, I know you still knew it.
Speaker 1: I was on it down when I was like waiting, I was like, okay, she's sick, Okay, is it time for wins?
Speaker 2: I believe it's wins. It's been a wile since we've done wins.
Speaker 1: I know, all we do is win, win, win, no matter what. We haven't done wins in the wild, so what so yeah, so it's time for you know, first.
Speaker 2: Whens.
Speaker 1: Colleenla, nobody came from her wins.
Speaker 2: I forgot what wins were supposed to be.
Speaker 1: There's supposed to be. I mean, if they can be personal, but this is supposed to be like you know, some because sometimes and I mean today was was was decent. But I think we started wins because you know, it was during the time of the reign of He who shall not be named, when when that transition was happening and it got a little heavy and we needed something. We wanted to always end on a bright note. And so Winds were like no matter what we talked about, whether how bad or whatever, that we always ended with something positive. Got it.
Speaker 2: I'm back on the Winds train.
Speaker 1: Well, here's a win, even though this is like, you know, a little bit on the old side. But no, I'm not gonna do that one that is really old. I'm like to like, go play yourself. I'm like, all right, all right, all right, let's see I don't know. I just didn't think wins are just brown girls in general, because we're like just pretty awesome. I have to say, I don't know, we're just out here slain and you know, I know, I mean, I know, I thought I had a win and I was like, I don't. Well, okay, well, I mean, well that's the first one I feel like I already talked about, like you know the list name. Well, I'm gonna be at fest like I have a win.
Speaker 2: But it's really fun listening to your ramble.
Speaker 1: Okay, yes, yes, please bring.
Speaker 2: Let's see how long Tiffany can go. No, I did want to do a win, and actually I had this written down for last week. I was prepared for a win last week, but we didn't do one. And it's gonna sound like a cheap one, but it's really meaningful. And I wanted to give a win to my sister, who I feel like is she's like the unsung hero of my life and of my siblings' lives, and I just feel super appreciative to her. You know how in a family like we have four siblings, and I feel like there's always the one who gets like the brunt of everyone's like, you know, they're the ones that you get all the phone calls. They're the one who have to deal with the emergency and you know, be there when you know the parents need something or when something goes wrong, and just handling everything and anyway. So I feel like my sister is just like the backbone of our siblings right now. And at the same time, I wanted to, I want to give her that shout out, which she definitely deserves, because she's amazing and she, you know, kept me saying even before you know, she was my maid of honor and it was her job to keep me saying. She's always there supporting me. But she makes me think a lot about the role of like sisters and families and how the women in families typically end up being the caretaker. And I look at my sister and I kind of already see that we are defaulting toward Okay, Mallory will take care of it. My sister's name is Mallori. You know, she'll be the one. And and it makes me like I wanted I had started having a talk with her about it because I wanted to. I felt bad. I wanted to stop doing that so much because I didn't want her to feel like every time something goes wrong, she must be the one to swoop in, because it wears you down after a while, and it's not really fair to that sibling. And I mean, we don't have to. I mean, there was a Vice Viceland, which is that Vice network. They have a business finance show, and they had a woman on talking about the role of women and how women almost always end up being a default caretaker, and how women are more likely to turn down promotions because they have to take care of elder family or spouses. Women are more likely to leave the workforce because they have to be a caretaker and to sacrifice themselves. And I feel like it doesn't always have to be that way, Like sometimes it is because there's only the daughter or only the niece or whatever. But I feel like in families sometimes it's easy to step back and say, Okay, well my sister has it, yeah, and she's the one ever you know, that can take care of it. And I certainly did this when my mother a couple of years ago, my mother fell and shattered her kneecap on ice and I went from this, yeah, and I went from my to Wisconsin, and I spent my week with her, and after that, my sister was on her own and she was the only one living near her to take care of her. And that's like my mother couldn't use the bathroom on her own. So I mean, that's like around the clock taken care of and she was there for months and months and months for her recuperation. And I kind of used that distance as an excuse, but I'm just anyway, I just wanted to give her the shout out and the wind. But also your.
Speaker 1: Author right, and your mother had those moves on the dead, so I'm like, really, she heeled great.
Speaker 2: I know it is. I mean when I think about if I showed you pictures or video my mom two years ago, I swear I was like, she's never gonna walk again. Like I just had to help my mother use the bathroom. How this is crazy. She's in her mid fifties. That is so scary, so scary, and and yeah, her recovery was amazing. She also lost fifty pounds this year. Let's just give Mama a shout out to you. Let's give mama win.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why are we here, right? Yeah? I kind of sister's got great energy, and so does her wife. I was just like, oh, they were just just all of your family. When I was there and in uh and husband's family, it was just such a great, like warm, welcoming environment. And so everybody gets a shadow. You get a shadow, you get a shout, everybody gets a shout out. You know, even what's your what's your what's what's his name? Your your best friend's.
Speaker 2: Guy Baron or Kevin Baron?
Speaker 1: Now you Baron, you left me, I know, just thank you so much because I know he's listening.
Speaker 2: I don't think anyone's ever been mad at Baron Brown.
Speaker 1: Like go. He's really awesome too. He had such great edergy. He made sure that was good. So yeah, no, yeah, I just know sisters are really I mean, there's something special about sisters. I mean brothers too, but I don't have any brothers, so I wouldn't know. So, but there's just something special about sisters and how far they'll go for you. So that's awesome, thanks Mallie.
Speaker 2: But they also have to take care of themselves, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: It's nice to be the one who swoops in, but it's also like up to the rest of us, me who is the most awkward caretaker in all of history needs to get better at trying and being there.
Speaker 1: I've got to win. Yes, yes, So I was just doing a little scrolling through. So a friend of mine named Ivida her course Robinson. Yes that's her real name.
Speaker 2: Wait I know that name? Where do I?
Speaker 1: Yes? She is the founder of No Madness, got it? And so No Madness for those who don't know, it's this awesome travel community specifically for people of color, brown people, brown ambition people. Right, So Avida was already awesome. I was already like, Oh, Avita's awesome. She's amazing her movement, Like you're seeing this huge uptick in brown travel, and honestly, they really credit a lot of it to her. And there's a few other kind of like folks that has started that movement, but she's one of the founding folks. So she's, like, like I said, amazing. But what I love about Avida is, yes, No Madness is great, But she's always been so civic minded and recently she dropped to me one of the most amazing things that she could have done outside of starting No Madness, she started this lip stain line called Compass by a Vida and I was like, oh, this is cute, Like okay, these lipstains that you can wear, And honestly, the stains are actually really nice. You know sometimes people make things and you're like, oh, I guess, but they're really nice. But what I love about it is that she names the lip stain after a city in the world, like there's Aleppo, there's joe Berg, there is Haiti. Well, Haiti's a country, but whatever, Bangkok Legos for Nigeria, Soweto for South Africa. So she names the lip stain after places in the world. And because she's so like pro women focused, she gives ten percent of the income from that lip stain to women in that country. How dope is that?
Speaker 2: That's amazing?
Speaker 1: And so what I love about it is that, yeah, you get to buy this dope product, but you're buying something where you're giving to women like you and the other countries. So she just today she just dropped what percentage of I guess of what percentage of lipstains are selling? Like who like, what's selling more Haiti? It's you know, joe Burg has gotten the most and then Haiti has gotten the second and most I guess of sales. And so if you loving to wear like and the lip stains what I love about it. But I don't know how she made this work, but she her campaign. She shows women of all brown shades, not just brown shades, women periods. Honestly, it's not just the a lip stain line just for brown girls, but so women of all shades wearing these stains and it looks good. From super super chocolate girls like me to Lily Lily, Lily white girls like some of her friends that have warn it and you're like, wow, that's the same lipstain. It looks amazing. It's like the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants where the jeens fit all of their body sizes. Yes, what stain does. And I'm just really proud of her because this is just something that she's created to bring awareness to the fact that there are women around the world that really need our help, but doing it in a way that's like fun and that way you could participate, you know, while buying something really cute and like, you know, so girly, like a lip stain, but knowing that your your contribution is helping out the women. So if you're interested in learning more about it, it's compassed by ivida e v I t a dot com and get yourself a lipstain. I've ordered. I've ordered the Red. I think it's Aleppo, and I'm excited about it because I'm like, ooh, I love me a good Red. Now it's time to say goodbye to all our company.
Speaker 2: I guess we have a few. Is this the end credits of Golden Girls?
Speaker 1: Yes? No? No? How do you not know? Oh my god, forgot you're millennial? P r O w N A bitch. It's a Mickey Mouse Club, am I? I know that, Gondy, I don't know. On that you're either super young or super old, depending on like what the topic is. Mandy's like, what, but you did know Golden Girls? Which so you know? I mean you actually knew the name of that even though you're new to them, right? Was it you who never heard of Golden Girl, like you never watched the episode until recently?
Speaker 2: Yes, that was me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you know we're slowly bringing you into the gen X am I gen x or y I don't even know. But either way, either way Brown Ambition, it's been awesome, as per usual,