Speaker 1: This is the Patriots Training Camp Cast.
Speaker 2: The Patriots Training Camp Cast is your source for all the news from Patriots training Camp.
Speaker 1: Well, I do still watch the news. Practice is over, but the writers of Patriots dot com have you.
Speaker 3: Covered what did I miss yesterday?
Speaker 1: Now here to review today's practice the writers of Patriots dot Com.
Speaker 4: All right, welcome into another edition of the Patriots Training Camp Cast. I Mike do So, joined by Tamara Brown and Paul Perillo and guys. It's been an active twenty four hours here, and I think right off the top, we've got to mention Christian Barmore, Patriots making announcement last night that he's I guess, suffering from blood clots. You know, significant issue. We've seen this happen in the past with athletes, but it seems like Christian barmore status is now kind of being put on hold for the indefinite future, which is just a big blow I think to the defense. And of course you want Christian to be healthy, that's the biggest thing. But we talk about the team here, Tamara, this is this is a big blow anyway you cut it. He's an important young player.
Speaker 2: He's very important. I feel like two days ago, I was just saying, Wow, this guy has the caliber to make it to the Pro Bowl this season. I was so excited for him, especially after his contract and then looking at the depth, Mike, you're always someone who's bringing that up. With this defense, there's no one behind Judean, There's no one behind Barmore that you think could play at his level. So I want him to be healthy, I want him to be out there, and I'm also thinking who is going to step up and fill his shoes.
Speaker 4: So we jumped into practice and we got to move on and you know, today's first day of pads, very exciting usually, and we saw some one on ones Paul. But the big picture, I think that we watched practice separately, so you know, we come to this without without conferring. But I thought an Okada for the number one offense with Jacoby Brissett, we've settled kind of on the same offensive line. I thought the run game particularly looked like they hit a couple plays there. It wasn't overwhelming, it wasn't oh, you know, they're just making plays left and right, but it felt like the semblance of an offense out there today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I did think there were some times I thought the cohesion was more in the seven on seven, but I do think there were some some runs they hit. Stevenson, Kevin Harris had a little uh got a seam off the left side on a play. So there were some moments I thought. I thought it was a good first step in pads. I thought there was some physicality, you know, for the most part, I thought it was kind of a stalemate up front. I thought, uh, you know, most of the runs were kind of met with with resistance. But I did like some of those plays that they hit. And then that kind of you mentioned the first offense quote unquote the first offense. I thought that led to some some plays for Jacoby Brissette. I thought this was the most comfortable he's looked, you know, in training camp. So maybe some baby steps there, you know, for that group, I think we'll get to. The group that followed with Drake May wasn't as much, but yeah, some some positive science for preset.
Speaker 4: Well let's jump right into its marre. I mean, I just I from my vantage point, it just kind of a tough day for Drake May and I thought there was, you know, not a lot of protection up front. David Andrews was also missing from practice, so I think a little bit of the trickle down effect at center might have affected that a little bit. But just not a lot of big plays, you know, just it seemed like Drake was kind of struggling today line problems. As I mentioned, what did you think of Drake's performance today?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wasn't expecting another interception today obviously, you know, it went to Dugger again, who seems to always be in the right place at the right time. It's going to be a tough one for him, especially if guys continue to go down or be missing from practice. But I do want to touch on Leyden Robinson, another rookie who I thought flash today on the offensive line. Haven't really heard his name much throughout camp, but today he had a great one on one against deechurch Wise. So it's been interesting to see, like another rookie and how they continue to emerge throughout camp.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, Paul, what about you? What was your take? Just kind of on that second offense with May And again they're rotating a lot of guys, especially like the wide receiver tight end position, so he's working with different bodies. But but it just was clung out.
Speaker 3: I mean, just to me, I felt like, and this is kind of a continuation that we saw a little bit on Sunday. I just felt like he was a little late with some of his reads, the double pumps he was starting to see too often, and some late throws to the outside, like we looks unsure of himself. So I mean, those are some things that he's going to have to clean up. And I sort of talked about this before camp started. What I want to see is as camp goes on, something that I saw, say on Monday or Tuesday, I don't see on Thursday at Friday, So we'll see how he takes that. I do think it was a little choppy today for him and his receivers. I thought he had a couple of guys that he sailed some balls on. You know, it might have been others that weren't particularly open. So I think it's sort of a work in progress for the entire group. It's quarterbacks, receivers, it's the protection, it's everything. It's not just Drake May.
Speaker 2: And I do think when you're dealing with an artistic quarterback like Drake May, it's going to take some time for his wide receivers to learn him especially as the plays break down, and that has happened, happened a lot over the past couple of days, just learning him, figuring out, figuring him out, and knowing that the play is not over even when the pocket breaks up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we did have Kaden Wallace back on a left tackle, chooks a Kora four over on the right side. You know, I was able to catch a little bit of the one on one. You know, I thought I thought that Wallace did okay, held his own. You know, a couple of reps that I just saw going. It seemed like Guce got around him. Jenning Z, I thought he held his own. Fifty four Morgan, I thought he held his own. But you know, there's a thing to kind of watch quickly and it's just in a bubble.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the one on ones a tough to gauge. I thought. Overall, you know, it wasn't terrible today. I didn't think the offensive line, you know, they had some breakdowns obviously, But the bigger thing for me was the lack of discipline on offense in general. There were a lot of mistakes, a lot of false starts, a lot of pre snap penalties. Talked to Austin Hooper about it afterward, and he just talked about, you know, these are things that don't require talent, you know, being able to stay on side. And it got to the point where Mayo sort of sent the whole offense running with one rep left. You know, there was the very last set of eleven on eleven's and it was four places for were set four place for may and it was going to be four plays, and after the third play with Joe Milton, he sent everybody running, and so that you know, clearly tells you there was some frustration from the coach. Now, Hooper thought that was a really good sign from Mayo that you know, you you gotta get this stuff straightened out now, and you can decide, and Hooper had a colorful way to say it, you can decide if you want to be a cross country team or a football team. I'd rather be a football team. But if you're not going to do the things that you're supposed to do, you're gonna at least be in good condition.
Speaker 2: Paul and I liked that he did that when Joe Milton had the ball, like because he could have easily been like, okay, well you know this is our third third string quarterback going in at third in for these reps, and you could have let it slide, but he let it. He didn't let it keep going, and he made them run during that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it felt like it kind of had built up. I mean there's been there stars, Yeah, false starts. There were a lot of laps run today, a lot of laps run, and a couple other housekeeping things. Of course, I didn't love seeing this. Jabill Peppers got banged up. Looked like he went over to the trainer's table, tried to come out and give it a go, look frustrated, went back in. He did not finish practice. We had a little scuffle. Josh Ujay I think got sent off. And probably the thing that most people are wondering about is, you know, we're watching first padded practice. Matthew Judon comes out early before he is not in pads. He's out to just you know, throw footballs to the fans like he usually does. That preceded then we caught a sight of a conversation with Jial Mayo. Wed later I caught sight of him out in conversation with Elliott Wolf and Matt grow He ended up walking off the field. I didn't get a great vibe. It's hard to tell what was being said. We're not lip readers or anything like that, but it just doesn't seem like the you know, I think when we started camp it was I'm here, you know, we're gonna figure it out, and you know, it just it seems like maybe there's some sticking points or something, because it seems like there's something going on there.
Speaker 3: Not a great sign.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, yeah, yeah, it's not a great sign. And I just wonder too, does it help when you're signing someone like Jabil Peppers like forty eight hours ago, seeing another guy get signed when you're still waiting for yours? Does that build even more frustration? Obviously? I feel like on social media he posted that he's happy for him and he felt like he deserved it, but it's got to be tough to see yet another contract being signed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So for sure, there's a lot going on, and we'll see what happens with Pepper's David Andrews. We mentioned was out little trickle down effect. I think they're already kind of hurt there at Center without Jake Andrews, So you know, some shuffling and this is what happens you get into camp, guys start getting banged up. But hey, we still just got into pads today. We've got we think another pads day tomorrow before and off day on Wednesday. So I think, to Paul's point, looking at some of the mistakes, some of the things to clean up, maybe tomorrow they can come out, limit those pre snap penalties, not hurt themselves, and maybe they can have a day where they'll grow Tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and it was good to see Antonio Gibson out there today, especially with him starting camp. You know one what was it the NFI.
Speaker 4: List seeing run from him today?
Speaker 2: Yeah, seeing him dressed and actually participating was a good sign.
Speaker 4: All right, Well that's going to do it for us for another Patriots training camp cast. And folks, we've got five practices down. We got i think eight more to go, thirteen totals, so we're cruising right along. Pads are on, so it just got a little bit more fun, so be true. Sure to tune in again tomorrow for another recap of a padded practice.
Speaker 1: Thank you for downloading this podcast. Subscribe on Apple, google Play, and everywhere else you listen. Like the show, Please rate and review us listener comments and ratings help keep us high in the podcast rankings, so new listeners can find us. Be sure to check patriots dot com for more news and more podcasts.
Speaker 3: H