Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News. Welcome to the Bloomberg This Weekend podcast with David Gura, Christina Raffini, and Elisa Matteo.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us for today's selection of conversations from the show.
Speaker 3: You can listen to our favorite discussions right here on the podcast, but also make sure to join us live every Saturday and Sunday morning, starting at seven am Eastern.
Speaker 4: We're on Bloomberg Television, Radio and the Bloomberg Business App, bringing you unique takes and in depth interviews on news, politics, lifestyle and culture.
Speaker 2: President Trump returned to the White House Correspondence Centner. The initial dinner, of course, ended abruptly after a gunman breach security well.
Speaker 3: The President condemned political violence at the dinner last night, while at the same time attacking political opponents and the press at large.
Speaker 5: But tonight we come back together to answer that Hanus attack with unwavering resolve, and every one of us here this evening to show that in America we.
Speaker 6: Do not yield to political violence.
Speaker 5: As I said three months ago, the show must go on. But this place is the really largest group of Trump derangement syndrome people ever put together at one time, I suspect this evening it's really all about the fake news media, and you're handling of prizes and writing and producing and performing made up stories like the Academy Awards, and this is somewhat of a scoop my intention to run for a fourth term as President of the United States. I will be doing that. I will be having an official In fact, I think I have yeah, I want three times. Now I'm going to do it again.
Speaker 7: Thank you, Joyce.
Speaker 3: Now as Bloomberg White House correspondent Jeff Mason, he was at last night's dinner. He was a president in the past with White House Correspondent Association.
Speaker 6: Jeff, great to see you, and I.
Speaker 3: Guess I should start just by asking you about the feeling in the room. We were all there at the first iteration of this. Dinner took place at the Washington Hilton, a giant ballroom. This was a much smaller affair, different affair. How much was the program last night duplicative of what was supposed to happen at that first dinner just a couple of months ago.
Speaker 8: I think it was pretty close. In fact, the fact that of course the President spoke, the President Association spoke the awards were given to members of the press, and also student journalists were recognized for scholarships, and then there was the mentalist at the end as well. It was pretty much the program that was meant to have gone on in April, just three months later, and with the fact that that shooting stopped that dinner, that was over shadowing. I guess you could say this dinner again. But in general, the program was the same, but the venue was smaller, and that was very noticeable, certainly for someone who's attended a bunch of dinners. The ballroom at the Hilton, of course fits more than two thousand people. It's the biggest ballroom in Washington. This one was instead of about twenty six hundred people, there were fewer than seven hundred in the room. That doesn't mean it's small, but it's just a much much more I guess you could say intimate size of a dinner. And then that changed the mood in the room too. And we can talk a little bit more about this, but when the President spoke, I think that he also was speaking to what for him was an unusual crowd in that most of the people in that room were journalists like myself and it was not a friendly crowd for what ended up being very much like a rally speech.
Speaker 2: That's an interesting point, Jeff, because I mean, we said it the first cinner, and it is a huge ball, as you mentioned, and it's a mixed crowd because the journalist invites so many guests. You have entertainment people. You often invite people who are familiar.
Speaker 9: Or close to the White House.
Speaker 2: This is a much smaller room, and I imagine, you know, if he's used to speaking to a bigger crowd, it's harder when the audience is right in front of you. And you can see some of those reactions. I mean, what were the reactions to jokes like I'm assuming it was a joke, you know, running for a fourth term, and some of the other remarks, And then there were also you wrote a few awkward moments where awards were presented to journalists for being hard on this White House. How did the President react to that?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean to your first question. First, the reaction were a lot of straight faces in the crowd, because that's our job, you know. I mean, I certainly was keeping a straight face, and I think so were most of the reporters in the room who are committed to neutrally covering this president and recognize that that joke, as it were, of him running for what he called a fourth term is a joke about the constitution, which of course prohibits him from running for another term when he's already served too, which he will have at the end of his second term now. But he I mean, it's also again a quote unquote joke that is rooted in the fact that that's something that he was actively thinking about at the beginning of his term and something that he has openly mused about before. I think right now it is a joke. I mean, he has stopped talking about it regularly, particularly after a Speaker of the House, Mike Johnson, basically told him this is unconstitutional, and he seems to have accepted that, and so I think, you know, I think he wanted. He likes to poke at the press with stuff like that, and that was one of the things that he did last night. Remind me of your other question, Christina.
Speaker 2: That's all right, Jeff, we can move on. I know you had like three hours of sleep, so we're very grateful for your getting up a friend of the show, Jeff Mason, we really appreciate you, David.
Speaker 3: Just a generous I mean, there's been this over the course of having this dinner, there's been a conversation about should it be smaller, should it involve fewer celebrities, fewer members of the administration. I'm curious, as you experienced the dinner last night, did it give you a sense of maybe this is the way that it's headed in light of the criticism most recently that it faced after that first dinner. How is the conversation about the longevity of this dinner changed, you know, in the context of the one that we had last night.
Speaker 8: You know, I think I think the answer to that is still TBD. The The incoming president of the Association, Jackie Heinrich, who works for Fox News, announced that the dinner would be held again next year, back at the Hilton. So that was certainly a foreshadowing by the Association that they're not looking to keep the scale down version as a model. But yes, you're you're not wrong to say that this sparked a lot of conversations, certainly about security at the Hilton and security for this event, but it also sparked some conversation within the press court itself about this dinner more broadly, and it's you know, there are people who are who are are big fans of this dinner in Washington, and there are people who aren't. And I imagine those conversations will continue.
Speaker 6: Jeff Mason, come back here in a little bit. We'renna.
Speaker 3: Let you take a nap over the course the next maybe forty minutes, bringing back, take a quick disco nap, Jeff Maason, our White House correspondent, joining us on the heels the White House Correspondents Association dinner which took place last night.
Speaker 2: Thanks Jeff.
Speaker 8: All right.
Speaker 2: Just hours ago, the UK Maritime Trade Operations Center warned of an incident involving a tanker and military forces in the Gulf of Oman and his warning vessels in the area to remain diligent.
Speaker 3: Joining us now is Boomberg Energy and Commodie supporter Stephen Sebpcimski, who joins us now from Singaport. Seem great to have you with us, and I want to start just by asking you how the contours of this war have changed here in recent days that the Houthies, which were of course lined aligned with the Iranians, getting into this conflict. Announcing this this blockade, and maybe I could ask you first just what effect that's had so far on the oil trade and sort of what traders, what investors are thinking about the consequences of that going forward.
Speaker 10: You know, I think the market is still trying to digest exactly what is happening or in the Red Sea and at the Bab Almandeb Strait, which is where the Hoo thieves are trying to tighten control. Now let's put this into context, since the Straight of Horn moves close effectively since the end of February, when the US and Israel began strikes on Iran, Saudi Arabia was beginning to ship more of its oil. Four million barrels per day were loaded in the Red Sea through an east west pipeline. Normally that oil be flowing through Hormves it was shot, so they were using this workaround. The oil would then go south, down through the Red Sea, through the Bab Almandeb Straight and then out to customers in Asia. And what's happened is with the Houthi rebels increasing attacks targeting specifically Saudi ships, there was a fear that this key workaround was now in danger and either would really real lead to delays or even a reduction in loading from from Saudi ports, because that would require them going through the north, through the Suez Canal through and then around the southern Cape of Africa to get the customers in Asia. We did see a few ships you turn over the last week away from the Babel Mandeb straight but in the last twenty four hours we did see two China linked super oil tankers though carrying Saudi crude did get through, So it's a mixed picture. There is some oil flowing through, but at the same time there are some ships turning around, and you saw oil prices. Brent was about one hundred dollars a barrel when I was leaving the office Asia afternoon, but it closed the session US afternoon around ninety six ninety seven dollars, which indicates a bit of a fall after those red sea flows continued. But at the same time, you have to remember this is Friday. You never know what Trump's going to do. It was probably a lot of people just wanting to enjoy the weekend as well and not have to worry about having a long position going in. But at the same time, the market, the way they're looking at this, it is.
Speaker 7: A risk, and this is the biggest escalation.
Speaker 10: Of the war in the region and attacks on infrastructure risk to oil that we've seen since March and April.
Speaker 2: I'm wondering, can you to find that risk a little bit because I know, according to a report from CBS, at least seven major pipeline projects are under construction trying to find alternatives to the Strait. And I know the main threat right now in the Red Sea is the distribution point, but we've also got reports this morning the Houthis have claimed to destruct Saudi Arabia with missiles on Saturday morning. Is the concern mostly about that Red Sea distribution point? Or is the concern also that an escalation between Saudi's and the Houthis could start to impact Saudi production as well.
Speaker 10: You know, I think that's a really good point, and it's both and I go even a step further that any sort of flare up between Saudi Arabia and the Houthis and the Houthis attacking ships. Trump himself has said that they will then if their ship's attacked by the Hohothies, they will then attack Iran, and he's threatened power plants and bridges Iran in time said that if that happens, they will attack energy infrastructural throat the region. The biggest risk in this war since since hasn't necessarily been the closure of these straits, these waterways. Sure they could be closed, but with a good piece deal, they could open up within weeks and trade could resume to normal in months. The real fear has been if this escalates into a wider conflict within the region, if energy infrastructure, pipelines, LICKFI, natural gas plants, ships, if they're getting attacked, that's infrastructure that can't easily come back online if there is a piece deal. So the reason why oil was at one hundred and twenty dollars in March wasn't so much because of the hormones closure. It was because Iran kept attacking infrastructure across the region. We haven't gotten to that worst case scenario that we've seen three or four months back, but if it does spiral into that sort of situation, yes, certainly that is something that the market is going to be deeply worried about. And if Saudi Arabia create other countries Qatar's LNG export plant, if all those facilities are either damaged more or if they have to reduce production, then then certainly we'll see another leg up in rent and WTI oil prices.
Speaker 3: Steve, when I said that was the Fonti Bureau a few weeks ago, and we talked about the state of inventories around the world, and countries have begun to kind of refill those reserves that they had in the lulls that we've seen.
Speaker 6: Sounds like they haven't.
Speaker 3: Can you just get us up to speed sort of on the status of reserves globally. I know there's been a lot of focus here in the US, where the strategic petroleum reserve is the lowest it's been in a very long long time. How much effort has there been around the world to kind of replenish those reserves that have been deployed on an emergency basis since the start of this conflict.
Speaker 10: You know, I think I think the better way to look at it, perhaps is that a lot of customers in Asia of Persian golf oil they're really looking at they were looking at replacing their supply instead of replenishing. So there hasn't been a really big effort to refill inventories. As you said, the SPR in the United States lowest level in decades, pushing as well.
Speaker 7: A key point it's getting low used to decrease.
Speaker 10: Chinese oil inventories are something that are opaque. You're not exactly sure what's going on there, but there is an expectation that China use quite a lot of their oil inventories when when their imports dropped pretty significantly in April May and then into June, so and then Japan as well. All the other G seven nations had been using their spr So you're in a situation where oil inventories are low. But it's not just oils, also other fuels diesel, gasoline, jet fuel. The amount of supply globally is at an uncomfortable level and that's why you're seeing those product prices rise as well. And it's also not just oil products, it's also natural gas. In Europe, natural gas inventories at the lowest seasonal level in about five years. They're not on pace to hit an eighty percent target refill by November, which is what they want to be at when when winter starts. Because in winter and Europe they use a lot of natural gas for heating. So inventories are a problem. And I think the issue is we pulled that lever in March and April to help ease some of the pain in the oil market, and because of this current situation with depleted inventories, you can't really pull that lever again if this horror moves, closure continues, and if the bab al Mandeb straight as well is affected. So it is a worrying part of the market.
Speaker 2: Are you starting to see that stress a little bit in the prices of oil? I mean, it seems to me, as we've been covering this conflict, there's been kind of this indefatigable optimism, of somewhat frustrating optimism for those of us who covered diplomacy that this is going to get resolved. But I'm wondering if that's because they did have those strategic reserves as kind of a buffer, and ASO start to deplete, do you think that optimism will start to wane as well.
Speaker 10: I think there are a few reasons why oil has I mean, granted, we're at one hundred dollars print in very just a few short weeks, so I would say that we're at a pretty relatively high level. We're not the highs of one hundred and twenty that we were before, and we're certainly not near two hundred dollars, which is what some analysts we're warning about. Part of that is because of the workarounds, you know, the Saudi Arabia's Red C the East West Pipeline. They had their ad knock in the UE being able to do their uh their shuttle service to get some oil out, which is to a degree continuing perhaps although those ships are going dark as well. Chinese demand has not really returned, and China is one of the big factors that the biggest buyer of oil globally. So as long as China, Chinese demand doesn't come roaring back, that does add a lot of length and and it does provide some ease to the market.
Speaker 7: But I would say it is showing up in some prices.
Speaker 10: I mean you look at the diesel run rate or basically the the the profits that you can make from refining crude into diesel, gasoline and other other products has jumped.
Speaker 7: There is a need for for those fuels, and there is a.
Speaker 10: Fear that those supplies are depleting natural gas supply is natural gas in Europe. Those price this are a settled basis at the highest level since twenty twenty three, LNG prices in Asia at the highest level since March, and almost the highest level since January twenty twenty three.
Speaker 7: So you are starting to see that some.
Speaker 10: Of that pain maybe not showing up in crude itself, which is about twenty dollars off from the highs of March, but you're seeing it in other products.
Speaker 3: See before we let you go, let me ask you about another shooting war, the one taking place in Ukraine and the effect that that's had on energy prices. We've talked a lot about the crackspread in recent weeks on the show, talked about refined products, and we've seen Ukraine launching those attacks on energy facilities in Russia, and we've seen Russia reply and kind targeting energy facilities in Ukraine. What have been what's our sense of the broader implications of that on the global energy market, the way that that's escalated.
Speaker 10: I mean, that's again, that's one more lever that the market was depending on that is now gone. So let's look at it from a crude perspective. The Black Sea is a key export area for Kazakhstan oil.
Speaker 7: It goes to the CPC.
Speaker 10: Through the CPC pipeline to a Russian port, and right now Russia Moscow's basically said that it is unsafe for them to be docking there. Ukraine has targeted in recent weeks over ninety ships that are connected with Moscow. So you're removing those Kazakhstan supplies, which I believe is about one to one point five percent of global seaborne oil supplies.
Speaker 7: It's not nothing.
Speaker 10: So again with Babelmandem straight with horror moves, that's one one amount of oil that's that's reduced. Then you look at the refining capacity in Russia which has been greatly affected and disrupted by constant attacks by Iran on the refineries, and Russia is a big, pretty big supplier and exporter of that fuel and they've had to restrain and essentially stop exports of diesel. Again, that tightens the global diesel market. So you're getting the crude hit from Kazakhstan and also the diesel hit again, tightening things for consumers globally.
Speaker 2: All right, Steve Sipchinski, thank you for breaking that all down for us.
Speaker 3: Stay with us for more on Bloomberg this weekend.
Speaker 6: Right after this, and.
Speaker 2: Alarming statistics from the CDC On Friday, the number of measles cases this year in the United States hit two three hundred and eighteen. That's higher than all of last year and is now the most infection since nineteen ninety one.
Speaker 6: For more, joining by doctor Amisiadlogy.
Speaker 3: He's an infectious disease expert and senior scholar at Johns Hopkins University Center for Health Security. Doctor Dalsh, great to have you with us once again, and let me just start by asking you about how we got to this place. And I guess a natural follow on to that is what would the US need to do to kind of get beyond this or get back to the way things were?
Speaker 6: How far is the cat out of the bag?
Speaker 11: When you think about outbreak, sometimes it's hard to understand how things got started. How you got to the status quo with measles. It's really a no brainer. We got there because vaccination rates fell below the herd immunity threshold. And we're talking about what is the most contagious infectious disease that we humans face, one that requires a high level of immunity in the population, and one in which it's circulating in many parts of the world. So all it took was for us to lower our armor, to lower our force field, and then measles came back. It never went away. And the solution is equally simple. It's just to get more vaccine into the arms of people who are unvaccinated, and then this problem will disappear.
Speaker 2: David and I have a selfish question when we were putting this in the lineup yesterday. We've had mmrs as kids. Are we protected people who had the usual vaccine course as children? Does that take you through adulthood or at some point if you're in one of these places with high infection rates, do you need some sort of booster.
Speaker 11: The vast, vast majority of people the standard two dose childhood vaccination schedule will protect them for life. That doesn't mean that the vaccine is a high undred percent, but it's pushing above ninety five percent. So there's no generalized recommendation for boosters that are needed for the population. It's really about people who've had zero doses of measles. That's what's driving this.
Speaker 3: You know, your line of work, a lot of what you deal with is kind of communication about the need for vaccination going forward. And I'm curious at this moment when it seems like there are government officials who are not promoting them or not advocating for them. Maybe it's incumbent more on public health practitioners like yourself to push for that. What is the messaging campaign like? In other words, how do you assess the way in which public health professionals are making the case for vaccines at a time when they seem more necessary than ever.
Speaker 2: And what kind of campaigns have been effective? Have you seen any of that have worked?
Speaker 11: So I think it depends upon why someone is not vaccinated. There may be people who haven't gotten around and getting their children vaccinated. There may be people who have questions about vaccines. So you kind of have to take a different tach depending upon where someone is. And often it's very different to do it kind of as a one size fits all message on television by a talking head versus a provider sitting in front of a patient or a patient's family and asking what questions do you have about measles? And I think that's the better way to do it. We know that people will move towards vaccination if they can get their answers, get answers to the questions that they have in a non judgmental way. That's a very different type of rhetoric when you're dealing with the likes of RFK Junior, who is spreading disinformation, where you just have to basically call him out for spreading lives. So it's very kind of nuanced and very personalized, and that's what works. And we know that parents trust family doctors, they trust their primary care providers. That's where that that's where the actual movement occurs, not so much when someone's on, you know, blasting from a megaphone about the vaccine.
Speaker 2: I think we talked about this last time you were on here, but it seems pretty much a FATA company. Now that the US is going to lose its measles elimination status, there was this hearing the US requested that it be pushed back into the fall, so now that decision won't come down fall. But at this point, can you see anyway that doesn't happen given the case rates in the US.
Speaker 11: No, I think that the United States has effectively lost its elimination status, and even if by some technicality it maintains its elimination status, the deeper question is does the United States have resiliency against measles the answer is no, irrespective of what the eliminations status decision is, and there will be politics around the elimination decision. So I think it's just for all intents and purposes, the US does not have the ability to control measles any longer.
Speaker 3: On the issue of control, I'm curious how that details with kind of economic considerations. So when you look at where these outbreaks are, I saw there's one in Titon County in Wyoming, for instance. When you start to see an outbreak like this, so much work has to be done to track down who's been exposed to it, get the word out, obviously.
Speaker 6: Mount vaccination campaign as well.
Speaker 3: Could you talk a bit about the economic consequences of having a resurgence in a disease like measles in the way in which we're seeing here in the US.
Speaker 11: So, anytime there's an infectious disease, it will lead to disruption. People can't go about out their activities of daily life, which means if it's a child with measles, that child can't go to school, that child's parents might have to stay home, that child's parents might have to hire someone to babysit, And then you have a health department that then has to go and investigate who was the person in touch with Do they need to contact people, do they need to do any kind of countermeasures to stop the measles from spreading in a given community. All of that costs money, and it's money that doesn't need to be spent because these measles cases are happening voluntarily by people's choices. This is not some force of nature. This is people's choice to not vaccinate their children. And then it has economic consequences that don't need to be incurred. And I think that's another important point to make with infectious diseases, is that they keep humans from flourishing because they're stuck in bed sick and they're not out there producing, they're out there innovating, And you're taking money that could be used for some other other concern. Now it's being put back to something. It's put into something that we shouldn't have to be putting money into when we've had a solution to this since the nineteen sixties.
Speaker 8: Back before we.
Speaker 2: Let you go, we want to ask you about the other thing a lot of Americans are worried about, and that's a cyclospora going around with this you know, possibly that's tainted let us. It seems like did the administration, did the government react faster fast enough? And is this a larger concern about food safety and oversight in the US?
Speaker 11: So I do think it was more of a reactive reaction from the government. I think state governments did very well, namely Michigan, which got hit very, very hard. But you have to remember that the CDC basically got decimated in this administration in terms of cuts to its budget, Whole divisions that were eliminated, including the division that would have been responsible for cyclospora. So there's less people doing this. So when you're thinking about a food born outbreak, it's time and speed in the speed to under identify what the vehicle is that's spreading something. If you've got less people around to crunch the data, to do the interviews with people who are who have our case patients, it's going to take longer. The state departments have done well, but they are also underfunded, chronically underfunded, understaffed, So it is something that decreases the overall resiliency to food born illness. Is when you don't have a robust system in place, or when that system is being actively dismantled.
Speaker 2: All right, Doctor Adalga from Johns Hopkins University Center for Health Security, Thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 12: Stay with us for more on Bloomberg this weekend.
Speaker 6: Right after this.
Speaker 3: Christopher Nolan's film treatment of the Odyssey has had an epic debut.
Speaker 13: Feel free to proces Christine if you'd like to.
Speaker 3: It's on track to rake in nearly five million dollars in its first two weekends in theaters.
Speaker 2: The three hour long blockbuster is based on the twenty seven year one hundred year old Greek poem that inspired Nolan's screenplay. Joining us now is Emily Wilson, professor of classical Studies at the University of Pennsylvania and the first woman to translate the Odyssey into English. Ellie Wilson, thank you so much for being here. I have a very strange anecdote to share with you, but it's relevant to how big this has become. I was in Central Park yesterday walking my dumb little dog, and I overheard two like bros in their twenties explaining the plot of the Odyssey to each other. And I turned around and I said, you know, I have Emily Wilson.
Speaker 9: On our show. Tomorrow, and he went, what, no way, I gotta wash it.
Speaker 2: She's the chick who did the new translation. So did you ever think at any point when she's in this career you would have Central Park tech pro name recognition?
Speaker 13: Who could have on a random Friday?
Speaker 8: So weird, it's so funny. I mean, I still wake up and think this can't possibly be real.
Speaker 14: It's wonderful, though, but I love that Homer is getting all of this new free press thanks to Christopher Nolan, who was an English major, not a classics major, but he's really put his humanity's education to good use.
Speaker 3: You brought your brood to see this film, I gather. I'm curious what you thought of it and how you is somebody who has been so deeply immersed in this work. Can you enjoy a film like this or are you able to kind of enjoy it as a viewer, or are you kind of constantly thinking about whether or not it's sticking literally to the text.
Speaker 14: I had a lot of fun, as you said, Yes, I took my three kids, my teenagers. One of thems over twenty, but the others are teenagers.
Speaker 8: They all had a good time.
Speaker 14: I thought it was a fun time.
Speaker 8: At the movies.
Speaker 14: You know, I think there were many ways in which the book is better, But I would say that right, this is a fun summer movie, and I think it's very entertaining, and I'm actually really looking forward to many years of discussing with my students. How does the book relate to the film.
Speaker 8: I think it's really going to.
Speaker 14: Enrich classroom discussions of the Odyssey all around the world.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's interesting because there are people who take issue with the movie. There are people who take issue with your translation. The book may be better, but it's this big I mean, is it good that people, like you said, are at all just showing interest in it? Does that do you think lead to more interest in the classics? And is controvers maybe a good thing to get people reading these these texts.
Speaker 14: I think it's wonderful that this engagement of whatever kind. I mean, I think it is really clear that this film is bringing both lots and lots of people back to the physical movie theaters, which is I think also a good thing. But it's also bringing people back to reading big books. The sales of the Odyssey and library checkouts of the Odyssey. My translation, but also other translations are by some order of magnitude up this summer, which I think it's wonderful, And it's just this new engagement with people who didn't maybe didn't think ancient literature could be for me realizing this is a really fun read and really interesting in so many different ways.
Speaker 2: Just to put another on it, sales are up one four hundred and twenty percent of hard books of the Odyssey. Crazy.
Speaker 3: Yes, interesting remuneration I think come hand in hand, which is good. Who's knocking on your door at Penn these days? What does a classics major look like? What's his or her background? Who's showing interest in majoring in the classics these days?
Speaker 14: You know, it's really very very diverse. I mean, kids from all different backgrounds. I mean, I think back in the day, there used to be an idea that if you haven't gone to the kind of private school where you do Latin, then there's no hope for you as a classicist. And that's very much not true anymore. I mean, there's every possible background, every possible high school. Even if you didn't go to a high school where you read The Odyssey in ninth grade, even if there wasn't Latin offered at your school. There's so many opportunities at the college level to get into this. I mean, one common thread that I see, especially in the big myth classes that I teach, is very often it's kids who've read the Percy Jackson books as very excited about following up with what is different about the Percy Jackson universe verusus the universe that we get in Homer, And we have those discussions and it's fun.
Speaker 2: Do you think that diversity makes for a better, more holistic study of the classics? I mean we were mentioned you were the first woman to translate this text. Talk to us a little bit about what you think your perspective brought to that text as you looked at the language and search for nuance. And does you know do people from different places, different backgrounds, different ethnicities bring that to these translations as well.
Speaker 13: I think that can be the case.
Speaker 14: Yes, I mean the first woman headline I slightly resist the idea that women's work must always be defined by gender. And of course for many other female homerests before me. The Odessey and the Iliad have been translated into many other languages by women before me. I don't think you could pick out of a lineup which translations are by women. I actually don't think that guest stands up to any particular scrutiny. I mean I would say that, yes, of course, all kinds of background questions can feed into any interpretshi of activity, whether it's being a historian, being a journalist, being a translator, being a literary critic. The things that you both know as a scholar as a reader, and also the things you know through bodied experience are going to feed into your interpretative work in some way or other. I mean, for me, my background in English poetics as well as in Greek and Latin poetics, seems essential to what I'm doing as a translator, and so far as my primary intervention as I see it is to do with using traditional metrical verse, in contrast to the vast majority of modern translators who've used unmetrical free verse or prose to translate homer And that has nothing to do with gender.
Speaker 8: It's about It's about poetics.
Speaker 3: Can I ask a dumb question about the way you work? So there's the Homeric question, of course, who wrote this? Did he write this? And the ilia etca, etc. You know, you mentioned these other translations, so there's Fagels and Fitzgerald and Mendelssohn for that matter. As you're writing this, as you were doing your translation, how much of that was it in dialogue with those translations that you'd read previously. In other words, where're working principally from the text in ancient Greek? Or are you drawing from at least inspiration from those texts those translations as well.
Speaker 14: Primarily from the Greek. And I don't actually, in terms of my practice, spend much time looking at other translations, because most of the time, if I'm wrestling with a particular problem about this line is so beautiful in these particular ways, how can I convey that using.
Speaker 8: Completely different words?
Speaker 14: It's not going to help me if I then look and see, oh he did that. Now I can't use that anymore because he's already stole that. So I actually need to spend the time by myself wrestling with it. I'd read a lot of commentaries, I reread the dictionary over and over to try and figure out how else is this word used wherever else it's used in ancient Greek. But it's not really about other looking at other translations. So, of course, while I was starting this project, I was meditating on my experiences, especially in the classroom, using many different other translations, and thinking about what doesn't get across when I use bagels or when I use Latimore. And primarily I've thought about both meta and about the vividness, rapidity, and the multi vocality of Homer, about how, in some ways this is about how Homer can work for the screen as well as for the stage and adaptation. The Odyssey was composed before drama existed, but it has these amazing speeches of characters who are so fully realized, and we fully understand who Penelope is.
Speaker 6: We're gonna have to leave it there.
Speaker 9: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: I welcome you excellent version of the Odyssey. My other favorite is, of course, wish Bone.
Speaker 12: Stay with us for more on Bloomberg this weekend. Right after this, you've.
Speaker 13: Waited, as I have, for more than two hours for this, It's time for the pointed news quiz.
Speaker 5: Here.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you what David Gera and Lisa Matteo. If you change the rules again to benefit David, I will.
Speaker 9: Walk off this set.
Speaker 13: I always defer to Lisa. That's why I do so well at this game.
Speaker 1: A table.
Speaker 8: What is happening.
Speaker 7: Lisa.
Speaker 2: I thought we had a girl code and she shared that list.
Speaker 13: My respect and comes down to that week after week.
Speaker 9: Okay, don't discount it, David, to it. We are talking about the pointed news everybody. This is the part everybody's waiting for. Okay.
Speaker 4: So for those of you at home, you're like, what is this game? Okay, here's what happens. You can play too on home at home if you want, might choose the rules again, change the rules. There will be three categories, okay, David Christina each have thirty chips in front of them. They will place their bets on each category depending on how they feel. You know, maybe they feel more confident about the first or maybe not so much the second.
Speaker 9: We'll see.
Speaker 4: Are you ready for your three categories? Born before you place your bets. Okay, here are your categories. First off is birds, second is frequent flyers, and third is world records.
Speaker 8: Did you read bad bords this week?
Speaker 13: I've read no stories this week, which is part of my strategy here.
Speaker 9: So are you going thirty across.
Speaker 13: The board because birds could be frequent flyers?
Speaker 2: I'm also true, Lord help us From David Gara Puns today.
Speaker 9: Across the board as well. All right, they have placed their vets. Let's go on to the first question.
Speaker 4: Here we go, birds, Lisa, Chinese exports are surging for what type of bird used in a popular dish? Now? This is despite local demand kind of being soft. So Chinese exports surging for what kind of bird used in a popular dish? What bird is used in a popular dish from China?
Speaker 9: Anytime? Now, David, he's writing people.
Speaker 4: He even drew a picture for those of you who duck is courage.
Speaker 9: More specifically peaking duck. But I'll give it to you. Okay, there we go. I have I've tried it, and I'm not a big fan. I don't know.
Speaker 13: Crispy skin, Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think it's hard to prepare. They have to do it like really well it's well yeah, so why is this? Why are the exports up? Gets back focusing I'm focusing on back.
Speaker 6: Down to get us back.
Speaker 13: Why are they soft soft in in in the country.
Speaker 9: They just don't soft a man in the country. They just don't not so much. I mean they have it all the time.
Speaker 4: What they're trying to explore it getting more popular, trying to get more popular.
Speaker 9: Yes, Okay, there we go. We're moving on to frequent flying.
Speaker 3: Energy duns up there, thinking about that duck ducks to frequent flyers.
Speaker 2: Here we go.
Speaker 4: What public figure has flown fifty seven thousand miles since June in a Gulf Stream private jet enough to.
Speaker 9: Circle the equator twice? See, I know you know who it is. But what is the name? What is this person's name?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 13: Okay, it's cryptic?
Speaker 2: What now?
Speaker 9: Now I'm confused? What public figure? What is his name?
Speaker 4: He's flown fifty seven thousand miles since June since in the Gulf Stream?
Speaker 9: What's what it is?
Speaker 14: I wonder?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I wonder. David Garrett, A lot's been happening since.
Speaker 6: Mentioned on a certain sport. Maybe the attention to the chat in weeks.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 9: I don't know. Okay, okay, flipp it.
Speaker 6: What do you got Johnny Infantina, Hey Taylor?
Speaker 4: Then you said yes, yes, so the president of FIFA.
Speaker 9: Yes he is the one.
Speaker 4: I mean, you have the expanded World Cup right, there's now forty eighteen, So thanks, I get her chips.
Speaker 9: Okay, but listen to his travel schedule, okay.
Speaker 4: June twenty sixth he went from Miami to Dallas, Dallas to Seattle, Seattle to Miami because he has to watch all these games, most of them, so it's.
Speaker 6: A doc plan. I should say he's paying for it.
Speaker 7: No, no, no, yeah.
Speaker 4: The estimated costs for jet fuel three hundred and fifty thousand dollars.
Speaker 9: That is a price quite the carbon footprints that as well. Uh number three you ready, number three world record.
Speaker 2: Continue my suffering, Lisa.
Speaker 4: Okay, I did this story, so I want to make sure you guys were listening when I did it. Runner Josh Kerr he broke the world record for fastest mile. Okay, which Berkshire Hathway own brand designed his shoe?
Speaker 13: Such a good question.
Speaker 9: Sneaker brand, think about it. Sneaker brand running the world.
Speaker 13: Here has always listened to Lisa Matteo, pay attention.
Speaker 9: I can't remember we talked to him pulling.
Speaker 13: Back the curtain.
Speaker 3: You know, we're always trying to get ready for the next segment, listening to what the director has to say.
Speaker 9: Always it's drugs, Christada.
Speaker 12: Oh yes, he also was wearing a speed suit special suit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, special credible to save those thousand time.
Speaker 9: Every every second count.
Speaker 2: No if like it's not swimming I don't know how much the speed suit is going to be different.
Speaker 4: Well, three hours, forty two minutes and sixty six seconds, that's exactly.
Speaker 2: Maybe we can speed up this.
Speaker 9: All right, let's do it.
Speaker 4: Let's hit the bonus because Christina, you can win these all of my when you get all the back.
Speaker 9: Okay, bonus is New Jersey. Okay, that's the category.
Speaker 4: James Patten was sentenced to twenty months twenty one months in prison after he inflated sales from twenty thousand dollars to one hundred million dollars for.
Speaker 9: What type of New Jersey small business? Think about it? New Jersey small business? What type of New Jersey small business?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 6: Interesting? All right, I really have no idea.
Speaker 14: On this front.
Speaker 9: Oh you don't know so fast?
Speaker 13: Okay, I wrote lawn care trash collection.
Speaker 9: It's Deli Deli. Remember the story?
Speaker 7: Next?
Speaker 2: Do you see that condescending for a radio? Listen, there's a very contor.
Speaker 8: The battery just received.
Speaker 3: Always listen to Lisa Matteo. You can test your knowledge on all ten questions. You can take the point in new quisite Bloomberg dot com slash pointed. You can find it on the Bloomberg Business App.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us on today's Bloomberg This Weekend podcast. Don't forget to tune in live for the show every Saturday and Sunday morning, starting at seven am Eastern.
Speaker 3: We're on Bloomberg Television Radio and the Bloomberg Business App, bringing you unique takes and in depth interviews on news, politics, lifestyle and culture.