Speaker 1: Some of the content of Patriots Unfiltered may not be suitable for all audiences.
Speaker 2: Listener discretion is advised. The World's a Vegetal podcast.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Patriots Unfiltered, presented by Toyota dot Com.
Speaker 2: What's going on with you?
Speaker 4: Alex horsing myself back here?
Speaker 1: I think I hit the cycle this weekend. For a Cape weekend.
Speaker 5: I think I pretty much hit every single thing I need to accomplish.
Speaker 1: I ate a lobster role.
Speaker 5: I swam in the ocean, I flew a kite. Flying a kite was on your let's use miracle grower.
Speaker 4: Now all organic.
Speaker 2: Brady and Chris Sims paths cross here. I don't know what he did.
Speaker 1: Did he like his butets? I just root for the fans.
Speaker 5: You want to keep like good players around and have your stars in town, and.
Speaker 2: Unlike Paul, you root for the fans. He wants the world to be forever in neutrals, Do you're.
Speaker 4: Worried to show people like you home?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Kind of, that's the dungeon we don't go down.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That Tony chop Choppy did this, saying to a guy cut his legs and arms off to him in the ocean. They called him mob.
Speaker 5: This is Patriot's Unfiltered, presented by Toyota dot Com.
Speaker 1: All right, welcome the Patriots Unfiltered.
Speaker 2: It is Thursday here at Jillette, or should I say Mars by the look of our atmosphere with all that smoke coming down from Canada, Thanks Canada, Blame Canada. Isn't that a song by South Park Seth McFarlane, Oh no, that's Trey Parker Parker. Yeah, yeah, okay, not that Maily gag. Yeah, all right, well listen, it's Alex, it's me, it's Deuce, It's Matt and Nabooth. Evan and Paul are still on VACA.
Speaker 5: This is it, though, this is from now, not the last show of the off season, but kind of.
Speaker 1: The weird show.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Next week we're in training camp mode.
Speaker 1: Get ready, get focused, get locked in.
Speaker 2: So this is it. If you got anything weird you want to talk about, this is your last day.
Speaker 1: What I mean World Cup too.
Speaker 5: I mean there's a great game yesterday and our final on Sunday.
Speaker 2: I'm not necessarily rooting for Spain, but I think Spain's gonna win. Yeah, yeah, I'm just rooting for a good game.
Speaker 5: I don't want to spoil anything, and Alex is wonderful newsletter this week, but I've had the We watched the first Argentina come back against Egypt here and then I watched that game yesterday with another comeback, and it just reminds me so much of the Patriots of you know, the old champs, and like you think you got it, but you don't got them, and you know to get to And I know Messi is obviously thirty nine years old. He's not the talented player he once was. He's still very talented, but just to experience his greatness firsthand, I think it's it's.
Speaker 1: I know there are a lot of people out there.
Speaker 5: I know, you know, Tom Shaw Miller's big listener here from England, like, oh god, I hate I hate Argentina so much. I know a lot of our listeners probably hate Argentina, so I feel bad. But it was interesting and fun to just appreciate how great they are as a as a country in soccer.
Speaker 4: I just set the stage for such a cool final too. I am rooting for Spain and I think they'll win. I think they've been underrated defensively, but it'll be cool to see like Messy this legend on his way out, the young Spanish star, you know, coming in nineteen years old passing the torch. Maybe not, it's gonna be a lot of drama.
Speaker 5: Yep, you got to lead Spain, finish it off, because man, these guys, it's just like Brady, you gotta.
Speaker 2: Put them down and then you got to put them down again.
Speaker 5: That's right until the clock hits zero, well, sorry, until the clock hits somewhere in the late nineties, right until the ref says it's over.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, yesterday was because I mean it's like they scored that second goal and extra time and then so now you know, more time is added, so again it's like.
Speaker 1: Isn't going to get one more chance? You know, you don't know exactly when.
Speaker 4: It's going to end, so it's just that, but you feel the momentum and right.
Speaker 1: It's a strange, unique tension in soccer time.
Speaker 4: So it's appreciated.
Speaker 1: No, I've come to appreciate a little bit. I mean, you got to appreciate the weirdness of a little bit.
Speaker 4: But we've come so far, like a month and a half.
Speaker 2: The high level, I mean, I had I saw a real Madrid play Juventus here in July. It was a friendly but it was like, so I've always had appreciation for when I met Pele when I was a kid, But I think what I gained here was the appreciation for the World Cup, for the event, and you know, like I was, I came. I saw Italy play Nigeria in ninety four when the World Cup was at Foxboro. So it's not my first time, but I think the World Cup has grown in terms of its sleekness and professionalism and everything, and I got a new appreciation for the event itself.
Speaker 4: What does it rank for you guys within pro sports, the World Cup?
Speaker 2: Well, I think.
Speaker 4: Someone asked this earlier if it was better than the Olympics for you, But for me it is. For me, it's the kind of the pinnacle, not the Winter Olympics.
Speaker 2: It might be the Summer Olympics for me. It depends on what that given Olympics stories are, because every Olympic stories emerge. Some I'm interested, some I'm not. Like that year with Tanya Harding and Nancy Kerrigan. I mean everyone was glued to the Olympics, you know. And that's the thing about the Olympics is things like that happen those kind of stories emerge because it's all different sports in addition to the different countries, men and women, you know, different age, you know, so it's ripe for those types of things to happen. Yeah, I think just if everything's even I like World Cup better, but the Olympics, you know, I think when things happen like everybody has to watch.
Speaker 5: I think when you see how much this means to the players and the countries participating.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that to.
Speaker 5: Me always, like you know, even like high school state finals in just about any sport, Like when you know that the athletes are playing for the pinnacle of where they're at right now, and certainly this is pinnacle pinnacle for these guys, it just adds that whole extra energy that it's like the super Bowl, you know, this is like, you know, all these players have dreamed about this moment forever, and you know when when they tied it up yesterday, I mean, just the reaction of the fan base and the building, I mean crazy.
Speaker 4: While after the second goal, just crying, screaming.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the thing. And it's you know, we make fun of not there not being a lot of scoring in.
Speaker 5: Soccer, but when there are goals especially in that kind of situation, you realize, like it's it's hard to find something that matters more in a sport than in that moment.
Speaker 2: I say, for me, super Bowl still won. I'd say number two is tennis Grand Slam events like Wimbledon, US Open, uh, and then like everything else is kind of a tie because like NBA Finals, World Series and all that, if the Red Sox aren't in it, or the Celtics aren't in it, I don't really care that much, you know, So I would say World Cup might actually be more interesting to me because it's countries playing countries and it's each country's best and that's cool.
Speaker 5: I think the thing I really enjoyed about it too, is just to see the level of sportsmanship and the level of you know, just the respect that these teams. I mean, certainly yesterday early on it was feisty. I mean they are not you know, there's no love loss. But I think it also has been a great demonstration of what's so great about sports without you know, a lot of the controversies and all that kind of stuff, but just really cool environment.
Speaker 2: I think that's been the biggest thing.
Speaker 5: It's just you know, putting it on the TV and listening to the crowd and hearing because we watch sports, you know, for a living, and we know what.
Speaker 1: Good crowds sound like. And these crowds are my god. I mean, I can't imagine what it was like in that stadium.
Speaker 4: Like nothing else, you know, just the tradition of the different fan bases and like almost like the pageantry of it too. It's just so fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, good times.
Speaker 5: Speig Final Sunday, though, I'm gonna have to watch that one, yep.
Speaker 2: Okay. So we've got emails coming in at podcasts at Patriots dot com. The way to call us is eight five to five Pats five hundred. Barton Poland, frequent emailer and lover of soccer, says ionistly couldn't have asked for a better final. Spain is the perfect counter argument to the whole if only your best athletes chose soccer narrative. France was loaded with physically superior players, bigger, faster, stronger, yet they barely influenced the game because Spain completely controlled it with technique, composure, positioning, and intelligence. It was domination in every sense of the world word. For anyone who didn't watch the twenty twenty two World Cup final. This game looked remarkably similar until around the eightieth minute. France was completely outplayed then as well. If not for Outomende's unnecessary foul, the entire and Boppy scored a hat trick in a World Cup final. Legend might never have existed because that penalty was what brought France back into the match, and England's semifinal was another perfect example of an old football cliche that NFL fans know well. Prevent defense only prevents you from winning the moment you stop trying to play and start trying not to lose. You invite pressure and give your opponent hope. I agree, but it seems all teams do that at the end, and I wonder why. I wonder, like when a decent team does push forward like that, you know, being trying to counter that risks too much, Like you really leave yourself open so you can't. I don't know. I'd love to have somebody like a Brad Felman or somebody like that school me on why England, you know, didn't even try to go on offense.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, you need like an evident to tell you schematically did they change something?
Speaker 1: I'm not smart enough in the ways they did.
Speaker 4: They summed out a midfielder for another defender and started playing a heavier back set. And it's also a mental thing too, you know, like so they change their technique. But also it's so frantic you have Argentina, Like it's like how Atlanta. I remember that those clips from the Super Bowl where someone like they're kind of celebrating and so I forget which player and goes, that's Tom Brady over there, that's Leonel Messi over there exactly.
Speaker 2: So like the way I'm thinking is that, you know, if you're playing a bad team, okay, you get a lead, just you know, just make sure you don't lose it. But when you're playing a team with talent like Argentina, it just seems to me, if you have the ball, if if you know, if England had the ball like even thirty percent of the time, that's thirty percent of the time that Argentina can't score. As it was, they basically had the ball one hundred percent of the time for half an hour, of course they're going to score.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't care how tall Burns is or what stones back there or whatever. You know, it was just inevitable that they were going to score.
Speaker 5: All those I mean, you had like two saves that were just like, right, oh my god, you know, crazy saves, and so you knew it was just it felt like a matter of time to me, and that's what.
Speaker 1: I think was exciting.
Speaker 5: I didn't watch as much of the France game the day before, so I but I feel.
Speaker 1: Like I've threaded the needle with some really good matches this year. Did I just call it a match? I did?
Speaker 2: Wow? Thehea well. As I said in the last show, a lot of people wanted to educate Paul for his take that you know, soccer has to change everything. Well, actually soccer was first. So it's really America that changed everything with soccer, you know, which is a fair point and an accurate one.
Speaker 5: Now I've enjoyed it, and especially with the timing, with the sports lull in professional sports right now in North Maydia, you know, it's a great, great timing. You've got captive audience. Nothing really else.
Speaker 4: You guys watched the Euro in two years?
Speaker 5: No, probably not, but I did say I will. I will be more interested next time the World Cup comes around. I just feel a little bit more knowledge of it. I mean, Holland will probably still be around. I'm sure he's young enough for that, and to me he was such a a standout.
Speaker 2: To the Olympics also has their brand of the World Cup. Right, do the same players, like do the best of the best play on.
Speaker 4: The their country?
Speaker 7: Do they?
Speaker 2: Or do they kind of opt out? Yeah?
Speaker 4: They often do sometimes, well.
Speaker 2: Sometimes or all the time.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: No, it's not as big as a deal the World Cup though.
Speaker 2: That's no, it's not as big. But it's supposedly the best of each country playing each other in a soccer tournament, right.
Speaker 4: I never really thought about I guess the difference. But it's kind of funny tying it back to the conversation we just had about the biggest sporting event that there is, Like it really is the World Cup, even over the Olympics. It feels like to a lot of the world, Oh.
Speaker 2: No, doubt, Yeah, yeah, I mean doubt.
Speaker 5: To me, it's it's you know, getting to know the stars a little bit more. And we all know MESSI, even the most casual, casual fans, but you know, the more of these guys that you become familiar with, and then you know, even for a casual like myself.
Speaker 2: To turn on a World Cup.
Speaker 5: Game and Holland just jumps off the field. I mean it's like, who is this guy? I mean, you don't need to be a soccer expert to know that that that guy is really talented. Same thing with MESSI when I remember first seeing him being like, this guy's unreal the.
Speaker 1: Way the ball sticks to his feet.
Speaker 5: So the more of those kind of guys that they can put in front of people who are like me or casuals, I think that that's great for the game.
Speaker 4: And this year it felt like more than ever Fiva was throwing it stars at you, like online on social media, the team's accounts, the national team accounts themselves are really building up their stars and making fun content with them. So it's cool to see how the media side of it really evolves as the sport becomes more popular here.
Speaker 2: Now there are some sports getting back to that Olympic discussion where the Olympics are the biggest thing, Like I would say gymnastics, Like there's the World Championships of Gymnastics. They have that, but I think it's not.
Speaker 4: As big as winning.
Speaker 2: A goal in the Olympics.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a lot of the individual sports I would say, save for like maybe golf, yeah, a lot of the tennis, but a lot of a lot of other individual sports, the niche ones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, but all those sports have their own World championship of course, but the Olympics is more prestigious to win. And then the team.
Speaker 4: About just playing for your country instead of just like so you still are at worlds.
Speaker 1: I mean, the team sports is weird.
Speaker 4: I guess it's the medal is the is it the.
Speaker 2: Olympics medal and just the fact that you know, it's on all the networks and more people are watching, you know, like I don't even know when the World Championship downhill skiing event is, but in the Olympics obviously more people are watching.
Speaker 5: Then the team sports have like these weird things where now professional athletes can play them and it's not the Stanley Cup or the NBA Championship, but they want to play for their country. And I still think I kind of prefer the amateurs. And maybe not in basketball because I'm not a huge basketball fan, but I like the hockey better when it was you know, young amateur kids and find you know, that next level of guys and you know that to me, the pros just feels like it's kind of a weird all star game.
Speaker 1: And I know that they, you know, are competitive.
Speaker 5: About it, but it just doesn't have the same choice to me as the championship of the NBA, the championship of the NFL, or you know those kind of things.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 4: But then it's interesting because what about like the women's Olympic soccer team and stuff, Like you do see those stars in the Olympics and that's probably their pace, and like how do you change it where you say, like the NHL just send your amateurs, but like we're going to send our best women's soccer team or we're going to send our NBA team, Like how from sport to sport? How do you decipher?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know, it's it's I like, I mean, there's just like the eighty Olympic team is always like the standard of you know, but it's really complicated now and even college kids are getting paid, so what you know, what isn't isn't amateur anymore. But you know, for women's hockey and for women's soccer, like those are a little bit you know, bigger deal I think on the national stage for it because I remember, you know when the women's soccer team and it's I mean, it's always what them and China always but.
Speaker 1: Those, you know, those ones, maybe those can continue to grow.
Speaker 2: It yep, so little known fact. But back in the day, I was still working here. But uh, guy that also worked with me, Trent Adams, we started a company called Binary Pro and the idea was we were going to help sports teams stream live events. And so we were the first people to stream a live sporting event on the Internet that was actually going to be used for broadcast later. In other words, back then, this is the early days in their late nineties, things were on TV first and then you put them on the internet. This was on the internet first. And so we had the World Championship short Track speed skating event and it was right down the street here at the Arena Pyoria Arena, and you know, we got the gig to stream that live and we had people all over the world in their chat and while they're watching this little thing, and you know, it was rude ement. You know, it was like Caveman compared to what streaming is like now. But we were the first to do that.
Speaker 4: How long in the world, How long were you running that.
Speaker 2: A couple of years, never really took off. You know, we had this job too, but we did actually did something for the Dolphins. We went down there and and.
Speaker 4: So you weren't just targeting niche sports.
Speaker 2: We produced a it was like a I don't know if it was some type of dinner that they were having, some awards night thing and we did that live for them.
Speaker 1: Division rival video on the internet.
Speaker 2: It's a future we did. We did, uh. You know, we did our Cheerleader Audition pay per view event. We were like Victoria's Secret was I think the first to do it, but we came right after them and did a cheerleader audition pay per view event.
Speaker 4: Honestly, really smart.
Speaker 1: Honey, what's this bill on the.
Speaker 2: Yeah? So that that was pretty I forgot until we had this discussion. I forget all about the short Track World Championships that we did.
Speaker 5: It stressed me out though, because I've been in that rink and I know that it is a black hole for signals.
Speaker 2: How we had a mac room with all our set up. We had Eric Flame. Eric Flame was part of our company, uh, and he was like the commentator doing it, uh. And we went out the three of us. Trent, myself and Eric Flame and Rob Kramer went out to uh Colorado Springs. We met with all the national governing bodies of the Olympic teams that were out there, because what we were trying to do is get all of them to be on board with us and then we would get all the n GB things. You know, we couldn't get that deal done. It's like hurting cats out there.
Speaker 4: But you might have been a little ahead of your time with them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely ahead of our time.
Speaker 4: I mean, what was your because now that's the private equity model right now with some of those companies where they're not letting parents even film at their own kids games because they're streaming the content.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh my dad would have thought somebody about that.
Speaker 4: But that's how that's how like some legislature came about because they told like a senator or a congressman that they he couldn't film at his son's hockey game. So he's like, I'm going to make what you're doing illegal.
Speaker 7: So funny.
Speaker 5: I mean, when did it first hit you, fad the video would come to the internet. I mean I always just I always think of my first experience with the internet, with somebody hooking me and well, I can tell sports scores immediately, But like.
Speaker 1: How quick did you realize video would be?
Speaker 2: I mean, I kind of knew, but I'll tell you Jonathan Kraft, it was probably nineteen in the nineteen ninety six, maybe sitting at home. It's eleven o'clock at night. He's on his treadmill. He's like, I want to do live video. And I'm like, you know, and I'm like, okay, I don't know how to do it. It was this, I mean, we were we were doing live audio press conferences, but we were nobody was doing video. Yeah, so you know this is an old story. You guys might have heard this. I got on the phone and started calling around and I called this one company called audio Net out of Dallas. Mark Mark Cuban picks up the phone and me and I'm talking to Mark Cuban and I'm explaining what we want to do in and it's like, well, yeah, we do audio. I'm like, no, we want to do we want to do video. He sent people up to meet with us to understand exactly what we wanted to do. In the meantime, I found this company out of Cambridge. It was an offshoot of MIT and they were they were doing it. They were kind of doing it, and we hired them that first year to help us do it, and then I ended up hiring the guy that really was the brains behind it. We stole him from them. They weren't happy, Trent, and he came to work with us full time and the rest is history. But we you know, we were the first ones to do a nightly made for the Internet video show called Cyber Sideline Patriots Side with Sideline. We were the first team to do a live postgame show. We did it under the bleachers at Mile High Stadium after a Monday night football game. You know, so we did a lot of those things first.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jonathan Krab he he you know, like if your owner doesn't want to do this stuff or doesn't get it, it's hard to get it going. He knew that this was going to be big. So if you have your owners backing, it's easy.
Speaker 4: And if the owner is willing to hire like a really good team around him, not just yes men like you and like this Trent guy, you know, like that's a big part of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean Trent was a freak, I mean literally an astrophysicist Mit. Yeah, well he didn't go to MIT.
Speaker 4: But he was working there.
Speaker 2: No, he was working for the company that was from MI I T. Yeah, but he and his brother are just like freaking geniuses. He was also had a small role in a Star Wars movie. Yeah, how about that? Yeah, which is even more impressive.
Speaker 1: I'd be to me cool.
Speaker 5: It's funny how it comes full circle that I just saw, right, that's right, just the video podcast edition.
Speaker 2: I saw something on on LinkedIn.
Speaker 5: Where they were it was a CIA posted it CA sports just saying how critical it is if you have a podcast to have a video presence, and you know something, we've gone transition, We've gone through through the past five years or so, you know, just saying how easy it is to clip things off. It's easily transferable to the different social media sources.
Speaker 1: So you know, now here.
Speaker 4: We are the days of us doing a show where only Thursday was on video. I remember that that was only like three years ago, three four years.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, and now look at us hello YouTube barely remember that?
Speaker 2: All right. So there's a little uh history, little history there. Fun yeah, and if you want more of that, go watch my new UH podcast.
Speaker 4: It's going to becoming We're gonna be talking about that stuff too. You're you're trailblazing and digital media.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about that kind of that's kind of stuff, you know. So Brett writes in he wants more of the story of me. He spells my name ka A R S C H. Yeah. We know that some the sometime in New Jersey, sometime on the cave. Then there's stories of Fred at Emerson and living in Boston during the college years. We know about Richie Campanella and other resorted characters, and the sports magazine he proposed or wrote. And we know there was time spent in Saint Thomas and I believe Water Island. That's right, hopefully no time on little Saint James Island. Where's that? Is that a bad place? I don't know. Oh that's Epstein Island. Yeah no, But we don't know the timeframe of all of this. I know the US virgin Island was after college. Was New Jersey the start? Or did you move from Master to New Jersey first? Give us the breakdown. I'd rather your biography than more soccer, basketball, tennis, or baseball.
Speaker 4: I agree. I love hearing that stuff about you and Jonathan kind of like creating a website in like I don't know, figuring it out. You guys are really innovative elevator.
Speaker 2: I miss that. I do. I feel like, not just us, but like kind of that thing it has plateau. There's not really a lot of cool new things. Well AI could be how we'll see what happens with AI. But the things that are coming out now that are new are really commercial stuff, like you know, all the Netflix and the huluah and all that stuff, and that's newish, but it's.
Speaker 4: Just it's not I love virtual it's.
Speaker 2: More innovative in terms of just making money. You know.
Speaker 4: I thought virtual reality might take off a little bit with like sports and sports consumption, maybe more so than it has already. But it kind of feels like that wave hit and it was big, but then the AI wave hit.
Speaker 3: And kind of, yeah, we'll come back once they have goggles out our glass.
Speaker 2: That's a good point because I was always bullish on wearables in terms of like you know, when Google Glass first came out. Google came here, and we were ready to go. We had content ready for the Google glasses, but the price point and everything they never caught on and you know, I have a pair of metal glasses now, but there's no heads up display. Well, the new version does, but it's very rudimentary if somebody gets that right in terms of it's got to be weatherproof, you've got to be able to have prescription lenses in it, and the battery life has to be good. I think that's a perfect thing to wear at a sporting event, you know, where you can be hands free and you can be watching the event and you know, with voice commands say give me this guy's stat or who just came in the game, or you know whatever, like you're able to get additive information to what you're watching without having to look down. I can still be watching the game and still get stuff.
Speaker 4: And also imagine being able to then sit down in your living room or really anywhere in the world. But oh, the Super Bowls go going on. I want to pay for a package that lets me sit at the fifty yard line in the first row and make me feel like I'm there and immersed in that exce They have that, but it's like, who's yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, I've met with many companies that we're doing that. It's particularly at NBA games and you know, they'd have a space where they'd have this. There's different form factors, but one was like a ball that had all these lenses around it, and each lens had its own card slot, and so yes, you know you'd have somebody controlling it, and you know you could you could log onto that and catch it live and then after the event they would take all the cards out and then create this really cool thing. But again it just didn't catch on. There's not enough people that want to do that. It's going to be funny to go from.
Speaker 5: And it's really starting to bug me now, like I'm really becoming I don't know if it's just I'm becoming an old man or what. But like if I'm in a room and I look around and everyone is like this, yeah, I like I don't even feel this revulsion of just like I'm going to just sit here and.
Speaker 2: Not look at my phone.
Speaker 5: Yeah, But then you get to that point where it's like, you know, you're having a conversation with someone you think they're paying attention to, you know, they're like watching a movie through their classes.
Speaker 1: You know, sorry, it was just on Wikipedia looking at what did you say?
Speaker 5: You know, like, I don't know, I there's a certain level of me that's like getting to like, I'm so I just can't handle it anymore when everybody's just all on their phones and I and I try to like compare it to like back in like you know, olden times where people are sitting around like at night, like reading books. So is it the same thing as that, like if we're all sitting here in the quiet, and you know, you can take Pano lessons and as you know, when you're reading your book, like it's I guess it's the same thing, but yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: It's just feels the same impact on your.
Speaker 2: Reading requires you to create imagery and it makes you use, i think, more of your brain.
Speaker 4: You measured your brain waves when you were reading a book compared to when you were doom scrolling, doom scrolling would look like you were Yeah, no.
Speaker 1: It's fair.
Speaker 5: I mean, I just like the actual physical placement and everybody it's kind of the same.
Speaker 1: We're all just sitting there looking down into our hand.
Speaker 2: But I don't know, man, It's.
Speaker 4: Just I love a second screen when I'm watching sports. But I love a second nothing else, nothing else.
Speaker 5: I'm just I'm like, I'm barely paying attention to the TV, like I'm just into my phone and you know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's it's getting worse.
Speaker 2: There's a great photo it's out of England and I think you know the it's a parade and I think you know the Queen is this is back when the Queen was alive and she's going by and it shows everybody lined up and everybody's either on their phone or you know, or recording it. For one old lady, she's the only one paying in the moment.
Speaker 4: I'm like, yes, I saw that, exactly what you're talking about. That's like why, like the Masters, you can't bring your phone. All the photos of those actually look like timeless photos, you know, because not everyone's just the whole gallery has like an iPhone, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you might say, well, I'm still watching, I'm just taking. You're not You're not in the moment like you would. Yeah, if it was just you and the event, Like there's this thing in between you and the event that you are looking through. It's not the same.
Speaker 1: Do you actually go.
Speaker 5: Back and watch the videos you take from events like I don't. As an example, like the NOA Kahn concert, Like somebody there like, oh, this was a great song. I'm gonna watch the full three minutes of that song that he played at Fenway from my phone and I recorded the like, I don't.
Speaker 1: Go back to that.
Speaker 2: I'm convinced that the people who do that, they don't do it for themselves. They do it to show other people. Yeah, well look at what I have for sure.
Speaker 4: I've gone back to videos of like a John Mayer concert where he's kind of just riffing, you know, and yeah, exactly, he's doing John stuff, And like, I've definitely gone back to stuff like that. I remember getting David Ortiz Grand Slam in his final season, like from the brand stand on. I've watched that back. But like, other than that, not right, I don't know.
Speaker 9: I do watch Conscience back, so I must be a loser. I'd like Nelly at Super Bowl. I se videos a couple of times.
Speaker 4: Something I've watched post Malone once back too.
Speaker 3: But olymp Biscuit concerts, eminem, I watched all these videos again.
Speaker 4: That reminds me that the PGA Tour did a pretty cool piece of content years ago. I was still in college, but I was part of it because I went to the Travelers and Jordan Speith won the tournament by holing out in like a playoff, and I had a really sick video. It went viral. The PGA Tour used it and then they invited me to go back to Cromwell to TPC River Highlands to shoot a feature. They were doing really on that shot from the perspective of all the fans that had viral videos all the way because the eighteenth green there is kind of like a fish bowl. There's stands. It's a great, great tournament. I love the Travelers Championship, but it was a cool piece of content because they did the feature on Jordan and it was like encapsulating all the perspectives and views from all around the shot, all the people that caught it, everyone's own personal attachment to that tournament and the way it's like evolved over the years. So it's really cool.
Speaker 1: Makes you wonder what would happen to the JFK. Not to bring it to.
Speaker 7: But the.
Speaker 4: Season show. So we've got any films.
Speaker 1: Would there have been like there would have been God, would be really hard to.
Speaker 5: Suppress if it was, you know, if it wasn't inside Job, I don't that would that.
Speaker 2: Have been unbelievable or even.
Speaker 5: Jack One, you know, Abraham Lincoln, like you know, like.
Speaker 4: How many people they was the theater, right, so everyone would have been recording at the theater.
Speaker 5: That should be like a thing where they remake like past events. That would have been so funny if everyone had a phone. It's Stone Wilkes Booth crashes to the stage and you know it's the moon land instead of a golf clubs the American flag.
Speaker 2: He's got the earth background.
Speaker 1: How they do right?
Speaker 5: They hold it up doing like the little leg kick thing, you know, like everybody does when they pose and outfit like right.
Speaker 4: Fit check, coming me to the moon, Get ready with me to go to the moon, Get ready.
Speaker 2: To go with you?
Speaker 1: I love a wizard name.
Speaker 5: Eliza Sassenger does a lot of those videos where she makes fun of influencers where yeah, you know compilation, yeah at Costco and I'm gonna get my theater. They do that narration of like all the influencer things are gonna get there. Pretty funny.
Speaker 1: But it's becoming a whole new like genre.
Speaker 5: And you know vertical video now, which is completely outside the realm of anything that you know, I mean, it used to always be like a widescreen and you know it's standard definition, and now you have probably a full movies shot.
Speaker 1: You know, vertical you know vertical videos.
Speaker 2: It's crazy change, John says in Louisiana, Freddie, you being serious about this new podcast you're gonna do? If so, what's your Twitter handle? I'll give you a follow so I can be updated. Also, should I lie about not getting my Patriots unfiltered? Sure to get a new one like the other callers do. Oh oh, we think there's a little fraud going on, do we think? So your shirt size and take your chance.
Speaker 4: People are getting on ozembic and they need new sizes or something.
Speaker 2: But I'm not lying about the podcast. We're filming our first episode on Sunday.
Speaker 5: So are you gonna do like social media like like if I was starting right now.
Speaker 2: No, it's gonna be on YouTube, just YouTube YouTube. I mean, I'll promote it on Twitter with your Twitter. Yeah, I think I don't spread underscore curseh is my handle? Yeah yeah, so no, I'll promote it there and hopefully we're going to have one a week, but we'll see. But just just so you know, it's not exactly like this show. We're not gonna be talking Patriots and not really a lot of sports. Uh, it's a lot of like owning a home, do it yourself, you know, gear reviews, tool reviews, how to do stuff, how not to do stuff, you know, things that we've failed at. But then we'll also talk about the UFOs and conspiracy theories and and all that stuff. Do a show just it's two guys who know each other, and you know, I think you.
Speaker 5: Know each other as you know a homeowner not too long ago about house, but you need like these are the core group of tools you need for a house, right, core group you know, like these are the you have set, Yeah, the hammers that you know, just all the little things because there's a lot of things that I've acquired over there, like this is great, Like I have one of those extenders where you pull the cord to cut limbs and stuff, like it's invaluable to me, you know, but it's never id like, oh this exists, like.
Speaker 2: Everyone has trees. Right, No, that's so fair.
Speaker 1: It wouldn't be in the court.
Speaker 2: Your top ten have to be like everybody needs this, and then you get into Okay, if you have a big lawn, you need this. If you have trees. You need this, you know. But then there's that there's those top ten tools that every homeowner must have. Yeah yeah, I mean, so we'll do stuff like that. I love it it.
Speaker 1: I could have used it.
Speaker 2: Yeah anyway, anyway, all right, yeah.
Speaker 5: You want to give you guys some Patriots stuff. I mean, I know that the fans probably like it. And I today was the day where I kind of I look ahead to my twenty twenty seven depth chart on my nerd thing, but spreadsheets, just some thoughts that I had as I put in, you know what guys are gonna be up for, you know, contracts next year, and it just made me think, you know, this year, they didn't have a lot of holes to fill. I thought it was a pretty easy off season for them. But you know, just taking a quick glance forward as we get ready there, you know they're gonna have starter holes next year. Right guard on one use up, tight end Hunter Henry's up, linebacker Ellis is up, safety Buyer is up, nose tackle probably Corey Durton he's up, and punter Bryce Bearinger. So I just you know, I look at those handful of positions and I was like, you know, those to me going into this year be outstanding. If you could get an unexpected contribution from one of those spots, you know, if somebody were to step up and you know, be able to say and this is probably pieing this, oh, John Darius Morgan on draft the free agent Paul Paul would you know he steps up and he looks like he can play, like like on when who did?
Speaker 1: And maybe he can be the guy. They could always resign some of these guys and it's you know, not crazy.
Speaker 2: You could bring Hunter Henry back.
Speaker 1: You can be buired back. But I just think you know, guard, tight end, linebacker, safety.
Speaker 2: But it's it's not a it's not a a list that like what are we gonna do? No, No, it's it's manageable.
Speaker 5: But this is But I think it's more of a standard of offseason. I think this offseason was pretty basically they brought back. You know, they had everybody pretty much coming back. There were a couple of decisions they had to make. But just as we get ready for camp and I'm excited to see some of these depth guys, That's where I think the most interesting storylines.
Speaker 1: Are happening in this training camp is who can step up?
Speaker 2: And kind of come out of nowhere.
Speaker 1: You know who the main dudes are probably gonna be, and you're just hoping they stay healthy.
Speaker 5: But you know, can you get some depth not only from those spots, even cornerback, you know some of the spots you're getting a little bit older. But I really look at you know, at linebacker as a spot where Ellis is up next year, the depth guys behind him, Britt and Chad Muma are up, you know, and we saw so it's just and they got a lot of guys on the roster going into camp. So those are just a few spots I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know how many more seasons is byered have? Yeah?
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, I mean a pro last year.
Speaker 5: But another spot where right behind it, I have safety three because if Mike Brown ends up being that thirst, say he's up next year too, so you know, you might lose two of your top three safeties again. So I just I like to like take inventory before you get into training camp, just to see, you know, who might be up for for an extension. I mean a lot of these are you know, older players that you're mean bired Henry, I'm one, you not so much, but guys that you're hoping to maybe squeeze a little bit more out of or find a younger person who can replace them. No obvious replacements as we go into camp. So just a little, just a little there on the depth chat, a little football for.
Speaker 2: The football fan. I don't like looking ahead to the next season. Let's can we start this season first?
Speaker 4: Just a brief lance, this is what we have to be stressed about in the future.
Speaker 2: Jeff in Canada on ESPN dot com.
Speaker 1: Barnwell, Yeah, you know that.
Speaker 2: Writer Bill bill bar did a list of all players who he considers to be worth at least one first round pick in trade value, which is an innovative way of considering your team's talent level. Five Patriots made the list, and Alyx, can you guess them.
Speaker 1: Worth a first round pick on the roster?
Speaker 10: Well?
Speaker 5: I think the easy ones are A. J. Brown, who just went for a first rounder, Drake May.
Speaker 2: Dallas Dallas Gonzales.
Speaker 1: All right, now we're going to start to get interesting.
Speaker 2: First round picks. Only two more that made the list, yeah.
Speaker 1: Barmore, Nope, No, Milton Williams.
Speaker 2: Milton will Williams sorry, and then one more and this one I don't necessarily agree with but I can understand why he has the person on the list.
Speaker 4: What phase of the game. Huh, what phase of the game, phase of the game, offense, tribu.
Speaker 2: Them Nope, Will Campbell, Will Campbell. Yeah, I mean you know, I mean he was the fourth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get it, I get it.
Speaker 5: I just I mean sometimes we talk about him as a player who you kind of needed to take at that spot, and I mean I don't know if the league views him as a tradable first round or at this point, but I mean if he ends up being that that caliber player, great, we saw.
Speaker 1: Some of though the rankings continue to come out.
Speaker 5: Saw Peter Skornsky was a similar short arm tackle at Northwestern that they moved to Garden now is one of the top guards. So, you know, not not will up for that, but I think he's got a, you know, a bright future no matter where where he ends up.
Speaker 1: But big year for him, big year for sure.
Speaker 2: Matt and Cali a k a u f L fan. Okay, I'm loving this lineup On the podcast. Alex and Duce are always low key funny with subtle jokes. How on earth is Evan a Dak lover? Dak is up for a down year, and I believe Dallas is on par with Arizona and will be competing for a top five pick next draft.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, yeah Dallas. I mean running it back. I mean they got a good, good talented offense. We made their defense. I don't know, I've just never been a huge fan of Dak and not just his his cadence.
Speaker 2: They always underachieve. Huh. I love it.
Speaker 1: That's the thing.
Speaker 2: I love it. Always Are either of you paying attention to the NFL Top one hundred lists.
Speaker 1: A little bit? A little bit?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like to see some of the.
Speaker 2: Because I know I'm not little ones.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I kind of lose it, Like it's just at this time of year, it just feels like.
Speaker 4: The filler dog days of summer content.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, I will say it's cool that we have way more players being recognized on it than last offseason. So the talent, that's what happened to You go to a super Bowl?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: We'll see where we're drakens up. That's what I'm I'm interested in.
Speaker 5: I mean, I like hearing I think what I like best about that is hearing other players talk about going against your guys and you know, there was a little bit that a little bit of that in Jeremy Fowler's ESPN rankings of the cornerbacks where Gonzales, you know, was number three, and you know, I think it was another opponent GM or something said, you know, he just he does everything for them and they I just like hearing.
Speaker 1: What the perspectives are on other players.
Speaker 5: I mean, even Aj Brown ending up ninth in the wide receiver rankings based on Jeremy Fowler's thing that is all NFL executives and stuff.
Speaker 1: I mean, it shows leaks the league still views.
Speaker 5: Him as a top ten receiver, which you know, I think we got caught up a little bit in the age and the knees and all that kind of stuff. But we saw him out there on that field. Man, that guy he looks he looks legit. So yeah, those are the that's the part I like about it. But otherwise, you know, I don't get worked up about who was where or why. I mean, we were in the locker room when they hand out the list. I mean, I think he just picked ten guys, you really do.
Speaker 4: It's like a girl comes down from I forget where it is MLPA, where she comes from but it's just she has like it's literally paper pens handing him out. She collects them all and.
Speaker 5: Whend you just kind of do your friends, like how I played with this guy in College's just you know, a couple who were like, oh, this guy was a beast.
Speaker 2: You know, I have to put him on. But I don't know.
Speaker 4: It seems like if you're going to like really do it the right way, they would need a lot of time. I think I would need a lot of time to think about that.
Speaker 1: Oh I know on the spot, who's who the ten best players are?
Speaker 2: Patriots? Patriots. Jack is coming to us from Barcelona. Barcelona, he says, after weeks and weeks of you guys talking about soccer, he's got that in quotes. At least someone said the key word about this sport. Corruption has got it in caps. I no longer can follow this sport. And it's because the reason I switched to less corrupt sports like American football, less corrupt, not not free of it. That would have been. I think soccer is the best sport for the kids because it's easy to play everywhere in the world. You don't need much stuff, and it's easy to understand. But in the elite level. I hate it. Think about it. It's not only because FIFA and uf U e f A are the most corrupt organizations in the world, but because the players as well. Christiano Ronaldo is considered one of the biggest stars in the history of the sport and one of the biggest floppers in the world. Well, listen, flopping isn't corruption. Hey, come on, flopping that's doing business. This business is being done. Player corrupt because he's flopping.
Speaker 5: My favorite flop part is like when they flop and there's no call coming and the play still going and the guy has to wrap up the dramatics, right, Yeah, like when they actually call the foul or they're presenting car like it drowns on a little bit.
Speaker 1: And then there's always that.
Speaker 2: Moment where like he might actually be hurt game where the guy got late in the game, he got knocked down top of the box and the play went on and he just realized, no one's fucking.
Speaker 1: At me, rush back.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 5: I mean, I guess now I've watched enough that you just realize it's kind of how it goes, and you know, you just kind of that's that's what they do.
Speaker 4: And if you play tough, you're not going to get the call because if you don't go down, or you don't, I don't know, get beat off the ball too badly, you know, even when you deserve it.
Speaker 1: No embellishment calls in soccer.
Speaker 2: Sure, Reno right saying I was the one who we email last week about real fans don't have more than one team per league. Hell yeah, the response to Paul's comments. You can cheer on other teams to do well, but you shouldn't be a fanatic, which is what fan is shortened from. Also, no, I don't cheer on other teams when my Patriots get knocked out in the playoffs. I hate cheer that a specific, specific team loses. Also, nothing wrong with liking players from another team. That doesn't mean you need to like the whole team, hate the stealers, but absolutely love Troy Polamalo.
Speaker 5: I like I like that tape from Reno because I feel the same way. I feel like once the Patriots are out of it, then I probably it's not who I want to win, so I don't want to win.
Speaker 1: But I also, especially doing this.
Speaker 11: Job where you watch a lot of it, you get to really appreciate other talented players, and like how fun it is to watch a schedule this year where there's gonna be a lot of talented players going against the Patriots.
Speaker 1: That I appreciate that more.
Speaker 5: And you know, you see, especially getting to see these guys in person, that's what's exciting. When you see the talent of Stefan Diggs jump off the field, you see Aj Brown get here, and just you can immediately see why he is a special athlete without anybody having to point anything out here or say, oh, you know he does this well, like you can just tell.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I know, I agree, I agree, I do.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I just I don't feel it in my heart with any other teams.
Speaker 2: Like I like to hate one.
Speaker 4: It's yeah, I hate watch and I like to root for a good storyline. Yeah, but you're right, like you never ask invested, You'll never be as invested as with your team.
Speaker 5: No, I mean, the Patriots affect my heart, The Bruins affect my heart. When the Red Sox and Celtis get into the playoffs and I kind of get into it, then I start to kind of feel it a little bit, you know, day to day average Wednesday night I turn on the Red Sox were losing.
Speaker 1: Not a big deal to me. Yeah, you know, the Bruins maybe a little little less. So I do get a little wrapped up, and I'm very angry with them a lot.
Speaker 2: But yeah I have. When I watched the Red Sox, I yell at it.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Why, he says, you know they can't hear you. I'm like, no, they can. There are pipes that go all the way to Fenway and they can hear me. Right, pipes come out if you install those. When you got the nineteen nineteen team, they're.
Speaker 1: Their official what was it the metals or what they What did you.
Speaker 5: Get the keychainops which you got to replace your battery on the fog?
Speaker 4: Yeah that's so funny. Right, we talked about that on Tuesday, right. I got in my car on Tuesday, right when the show.
Speaker 2: Oh I saw your tweet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I had a little time to kill before Nick's going away thing. And yeah, so I get in my car. I'm about to go to CBS and get some lunch. In my key battery like it had been dying for over a year. It was like change your key battery soon, and I didn't.
Speaker 2: And then I couldn't get in your car.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well I was able to get in, but I had to You have to pull.
Speaker 1: It apart a little circle bat.
Speaker 4: But the old fashioned way. It's a little circle battery. So I a CBS are there. I haven't even tried yet because it's still it was working now that I tore it apart. I got a battery, but I couldn't get the little tiny circle battery out. And I was like, I'm not breaking a nail for this. I'll find a man or screwdriver to help me with this. And I put the key back together it started working again.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I was carrying on batteries just in case I need my mont.
Speaker 1: Get it back, take it from a fob expert, or you need another.
Speaker 4: Bad don't let those die?
Speaker 2: Well, do they tell you the dealing? You know, don't lose the fob because you know they're like a thousand dollars reasons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's another thing that we just made way to analog.
Speaker 4: Give me my analog life back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's why my car is so old.
Speaker 2: It doesn't have all the beats and whistles and everything. So are you old enough to remember crank down windows?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, my first car had a crankdown.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't like the new cars. It's like everything you do, it's like no, no, no, no, wait, you know about the steering wheel starts.
Speaker 4: To ring through.
Speaker 1: I figure out, I know you.
Speaker 2: Don't have anything. First car I had, my feet had to start up on the ground like Wilmar.
Speaker 4: Me just want like a ninety seven for runner.
Speaker 5: I thought you're gonna say like Pontiac Firebirder, but I think I need an suv.
Speaker 2: Yeah. When you drive, when you wrop the classic cars on the highway and they're like in mint condition, it's like that's really I heard it. But then you think about it. I couldn't bu those really were and like AM FM radio and that's all it has. And you know I like the new cars.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well you can get like the there's those companies that specialize in like the restored vintage Broncos and stuff like everyone and their mother has one on the Vineyard or Nantucket and they're all painted like this beautiful red or baby blue, and those are kind of cool, but they're modern, like you get the modern conveniences.
Speaker 2: So inside it's modern.
Speaker 4: Well the upholstery, yeah, and I think a lot of it's classic, but it's just elevated and nicer.
Speaker 2: And I like my entertainment features and all that serious radio.
Speaker 1: And yeah, the map, I love the map.
Speaker 4: I love I love Apple Car play. Apple Car plays great.
Speaker 1: I don't have it in my car. But when I drive.
Speaker 4: About the truck, the truck on your truck, I know, I don't know if you've made that announcement.
Speaker 2: You got a truck.
Speaker 4: He's a truck guy.
Speaker 1: Well we kind of well, we have to get it all registered and everything.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so nice.
Speaker 5: Wow, technically my wife's car, so hopefully I'll get to drive a little bit.
Speaker 1: But I'm trying to decide that a car.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she likes a big truck.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm just trying to decide what to do with my piece of crap because it's got one hundred and forty thousand miles.
Speaker 2: Give it to Paul.
Speaker 5: That's but it runs fine, and that the car kids hard.
Speaker 1: And we have a kid who's fourteen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you have to see it.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, if you sell the third car for like one thousand dollars, I don't. I mean, it's got rest.
Speaker 5: I mean, and like I said, I did the breaks and the tires a year or so ago, so you don't have anything pending.
Speaker 2: So I don't know.
Speaker 5: I don't really want to ditch my my Pathfinder I've had for ten years.
Speaker 2: But yeah, we'll see, all right, eight five five past five hundred. Let's see what Christian has to say today. What's up Christian in La?
Speaker 12: Hey you guys, Hey, you guys, you guys. Good summer day to you. So just on what you guys are just saying. I drive it's a test Ex's like the top of the line car.
Speaker 2: Of course you do it.
Speaker 4: Tesla plaid, yes, the Tesla plat.
Speaker 7: Well that's just to go a little faster.
Speaker 12: But anyway, the stupidest thing about the car is that you have to have this credit.
Speaker 7: Card sized car, which is like so easy to lose. All you have to have it connected to.
Speaker 12: Your phone app. And right, so I'm out and I don't have the credit card thing because again it's very easy to loose, and I'm monitoring my phone because the battery is getting low, right, and so before I make it back to my car, the battery of my phone dies, and so this means I cannot get into.
Speaker 7: The car at all.
Speaker 12: You have no access in the fact that you touch the car, right, it's just a century alarm that someone's trying to break.
Speaker 7: Into your car.
Speaker 12: And so I'm walking around, I'm asking people, can I can I use your car to charge my phone? And unless people think of some sort of new kind of scam, right, and like an hour and a half someone, so let me charge my phone to one so I can open the damn car door. So great car, But there are some things that you wish were analog in some way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I would imagine that. You know, you got to think of a backup for that power. Yeah, yeah, right.
Speaker 12: I put it a backup unless you're carrying an external battery in your pocket when.
Speaker 7: You go out. Right.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I put a deposit down on a Tesla like two years ago. I don't know if I told you guys about that, and I had a panic and I canceled it for literally like reasons like that.
Speaker 2: There's a and the car.
Speaker 12: Okay, So the other crazy thing about the car Whege thinks analog is as you walk up to the car from the back, the front door opens for you, which it seems like, hey, it's a great feature, But when you walked up to the car from the front. The front door opens, but not as much so. If you come to the car from the front and you walk around your door which is kind of three courly opened, and you go to get in your car, the car starts to close the door on you because it.
Speaker 7: Has an automatic door club.
Speaker 12: When you sit in the car, you can press the brake and it closes the door for you to close your front door. But it's kind of a walky technology because if you're with it from the front and get in, it senses that that you're getting in the car from another direction and it starts to close the door on you.
Speaker 4: There's there's you.
Speaker 12: Would think so, but there's no saying in fact, and I'll move on to football. It caused an accident with the other car that I have, which is another Tesla, but I parked it the opposite way right, so I nosing with one car and then I back in with the other car. And because you have to have the key on your app to your to the phone, and the phone, you know, the car door opens when you get closed. I start to adjust and pull out with one car, and the other car door senses my phone key near it and it opens the car door and both car doors clash into each other, and I have to to, you know, to basically stew Tesla to cover it because they were trying to stay with my my fault. I'm like, nor do open myself because.
Speaker 7: That's stupid, you know.
Speaker 12: But anyway, design error is like you think it, but you're not thinking. So what the what the Olympic thing versus versus the World Cup? It seems like the Olympics are bigger only because it encompasses more sports that we watch at the same time. Like you get the basketball, you know, best of basketball from every country. You get the best in baseball from the country, and you get the best in soccer from the country, the best and sprinting, and so if you like, there's a lot more for you to say, Oh I like this event, and everybody in the world still is watching. So I don't know, he's a little a little bigger than me.
Speaker 7: But I thought of this.
Speaker 12: Why isn't there like a World Soccer organization where every five years it's the best of each continent. Maybe Oceania has to kind of get some contingencies.
Speaker 7: But you put together a you know.
Speaker 12: All star team from each continent and you look them play around Robins the tournament to see who's the best, you know, what's the best continent in soccer. So that was that was one of my crazy fantasies I had during soccer. But my football thing was Last Time Tuesday. I talked about these super teams that come together and how they usually failed. But I also thought about it. I didn't a chance to ask the second part of the question was what are.
Speaker 7: The teams that you guys feel were like broken up too soon? Like an example would be to me was like the.
Speaker 12: Baker Mayfield, Jarvis Landry, Odell Beckham and Kareem Hunt and Miles Garrett Brown, like that team really did they fell and for some reason, like one year, they broke that team up. And I thought, well, that's an example of the team that was broken up too soon. I thought, was one if you guys had any example of the team that teams that.
Speaker 7: You felt were broken up too soon?
Speaker 2: Thank you guys, listen, all right, thanks christ I off the top of my head, I could think of teams that should have been broken up sooner. But I can't think of what.
Speaker 5: About like one of the Sam Donald teams, you know, like it's did they I mean, it's not a team. It's kind of a guy. But he's another example like Baker Mayfield. I thought that was a good example from Christian The Browns did have some talent.
Speaker 2: Never came together, but I mean Donald Chody can play.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 1: Did the Jets move on too quickly from him?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I don't know.
Speaker 5: I wanted I Patriots wise, I would have liked to see Dion Branch and that connection stick.
Speaker 2: Around for a little while on N six.
Speaker 1: But I don't know. Nothing's coming to the.
Speaker 5: Top of mind immediately about I always wondered that about the rest of the AFC East when Brady and Belichick were here and just kept laying the hurt on him, And you know, were there any of those teams? And Rex Ryan and Mark Sanchez probably came the closest, but were any of those teams? Just the biggest problem was they couldn't be bet Brady Belichick, but they would have been a good team, and they just stuck with a formula.
Speaker 1: I don't think there's really an example.
Speaker 5: Of that, but I did think a little bit about that when the Jets were okay and kind of pushed them two thousand and nine, ten, they got a couple wins. They got a playoff win here, not saying that I'm advocating for Mark Sanchez to.
Speaker 1: Stick around post twenty twelve and the buff fumble and all that stuff, but they caught lightning in a bottle.
Speaker 2: For a minute. Ben writs in he's in the truck. For Olympic soccer, the women play their best players, but the men's tournament is limited to the under twenty three teams, with three spots for overage players per team. Oh, I didn't know that. It is also in the same summer as the Euros in the copor America, so the European and South American teams are focused on those tournaments.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 4: That makes sense to be switched.
Speaker 1: Yeah, somehow, I.
Speaker 4: Don't know if there's a way to do.
Speaker 1: It, but.
Speaker 5: I mean it's like I kind of like it in a way that it means a little bit more to the women that you know.
Speaker 1: I mean, is there a women's World Cup?
Speaker 2: I don't even know.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, does that get a.
Speaker 4: Lot of juice for me?
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 2: Yeah? The problem with women's soccer right now, it's only like five good teams. Yeah, really, there really aren't true.
Speaker 4: It's true, you know.
Speaker 2: They need more countries to invest in. Yeah, in women's sports.
Speaker 1: Is it still just US and China?
Speaker 2: The probably I?
Speaker 4: England has good teams, Brazil has great teams, the Australians, stuff like that.
Speaker 2: One of those teams out there, Sweden maybe, or one of those out there, those Icelandic Curve Skandinavian teams. I think one of them are really good.
Speaker 9: FIFA's Women's World Cup is twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 1: Okay, so they're like a year where is it? A year off?
Speaker 2: A boss Brazili? What's you in Brazil next year? That's tough. I don't know. Fred I was thinking an extra home game next year at Brazil.
Speaker 1: I feel like there's going to be a Brazil trip.
Speaker 2: And all right, let's take a break when we come back. More calls than emails here on Patriots Unfiltered.
Speaker 6: Come welcome our newest restaurant additions at Patriot Place. Estella brings a celebration of flavors with a modern fusion menu, exciting cocktails and brunch available daily beginning at eleven am. Enjoy freshly brewed coffee and Mediterranean inspired breakfast and lunch from Angels Cafe, Craving the classics Chick fil A makes it easy to grab your favorite with mobile through carry out and dine in options. Download the Patriot Place Advantage app for special offers to earn rewards every time we visit Patriot Place Shop dine enjoy.
Speaker 13: The heaviest metal credit card of all time, wielded at business dinners like a samuraisword. It's a classic corporate power move, but the real power move. Having end to envisibility on your most critical shipments that x the new power move.
Speaker 2: Whether you're in the game or betting on the game, you'll need a game plan. DraftKings Sportsbook, the official sports betting partner of the New England Patriots, provides you with everything you need to build your personal betting game plan so you can get in on all the action while practicing safe bets. Visit DraftKings dot com Slash Responsible Dash Gaming to learn more about all the safe betting tools DraftKings has to offer. Hope is here eight hundred and three two seven fifty to fifty or gambling Helplinema dot org must be twenty one plus play it smart from the start game. SINCEMA dot com physically president Massachusetts, see DraftKings dot com slash responsible dash gaming for details and statespecific responsible gambling resources.
Speaker 14: There's enough needless nonsense in the world already. One plan shouldn't add to it. Verizon's new Simplicity Plan cuts down on the nonsense in your life. Now there's just one plan, one price. Thirty dollars a line per month, even for a single line, and everyone gets our best five Gunit work. It's a phone plan designed to do exactly what a phone plan is supposed to do. Isn't that a lot simpler? Switch today at Barizon dot Com or at your nearest store for new customers. Thirty dollars per line includes autopay and switch discount. Additional taxis fes in terms of ply ulimited data is retricted to on devicemarphone usage domes of data roaming at two G speeds.
Speaker 2: If you're gonna play the game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right.
Speaker 1: DraftKings is all about responsible game. It's more fun when it's for fun, so played responsibly. Draft Kings.
Speaker 5: The Crown is yours gambling problem called twenty hundred and twenty one plus.
Speaker 1: Agent eligibility varies by jurisdiction.
Speaker 5: Caleb, so excuse me after Will Campbell last year, just to set the table guys, a little bit of shuffling going on. Garrett Bradbury has moved on. They've slid Jared Wilson over to center. They brought in Elijah Vera Tucker, really promising guy who's just battled some injuries. Michael, when you back Morgan Moses, so we'll see how he holds up for another year.
Speaker 2: Caleb B. Loomo enters that mix.
Speaker 5: So it's another position group where I feel like you got seven guys you really feel good about, but maybe some questions Paul about the death in the middle.
Speaker 15: Yeah, And to me, there's two keys to the whole thing. On paper, everything looks to be improved from last year. The two things that will be key to me is the improvement for the two second year guys, Campbell and Wilson, as well as the health of the left guard in ABT. So we know that, you know, Vera Tucker is really talented. He's one of the best guards in football when he's healthy. He hasn't been healthy often enough. I like the sort of plan that they had for him during the spring, you know, read some stuff about him sort of feeling more and more comfortable and asking for more reps. As those spring practices went along. We got to see him a little bit in eleven on elevens at the end of minie camp.
Speaker 1: So I think all signs are positive right now.
Speaker 15: That group, if healthy, is better than the group that played last year in my opinion, But a lot of that's going to depend on the health of the left guard and the progress of the two second year guys, Campbell and Wilson.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I'm a happy camper.
Speaker 17: I mean, you know, I'm the offensive line dork and I'll wear that badge of honor. And They've just had a lot of talent to this room and just looking to where they were Drake May's rookie season and the progress that they've made both, you know, kind of.
Speaker 16: Building that entire group.
Speaker 17: They have tackle debt for the first time in years, like maybe even going all the way back to Brady and Belichick tackle depth. I think they have enough interior depth as well with Ben Brown, and I think Lomu is going to be able to flex inside if they want him to as well. If Avt does get hurt, I'm optimistic that putting Avt in between Wilson and Campbell's going to make all three of those guys those spots better.
Speaker 16: Yeah, So I think there's a lot I really like about this.
Speaker 17: And then on the right side, you still have the two Wiley vets with on Whennu and Moses on that side of the line, So they got depth, especially at tackle, they have upside ceiling. You know, last year they were a middle of the pack offensive line. You know, most metrics put them twelve thirteen in the regular season. In the playoffs, we saw some wartz, we saw some growing pains with that group that they still maybe had a way a little bit ways to go.
Speaker 16: But I think they've improved.
Speaker 17: And like I said, I'm optimistic that just putting Veritucker in between those two rookies and a second year guys now and kind of spacing that out a little bit better and putting Wilson back at his natural position at center, I think that's going to help everybody and you know, kind of raise all tides. So this is as good of a group as they've had on the offensive line in a while. And so you know, it all starts in the trenches, and I really think that they're going to be able to, you know, be productive in that area of the team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Morgan Moses is interesting.
Speaker 5: He's thirty five now, so they managed him really well last year training camp, you know, pulling them off, let him come late, that kind of thing. Looked like he got a little dinged up in OTAs present an opportunity for not just Caleb Lomu, but you know, I feel like Marcus Bryant, second year guy, just noticed him in the mix a little bit more. Some of it's you know, we're in training, we're in mini camp. That's you know, guys aren't here. You got to step up. But you know, I just I wonder what kind of depth they're building with crown Over that they drafted and Marcus Bryant. Are those guys, you know, going to find a role or are they kind of push to the background.
Speaker 1: But it's a good problem to have.
Speaker 5: You've got some at least some bodies to put out there that you're developing and that you're putting, you know, into your system.
Speaker 15: Yeah, and they also added a veteran in James Hudson, you know, so you know, you look at a guy like Vederian Lowe last year, he did the job when he was called upon in those games. That that Will Campbell had to miss toward the end of the season. Can a veteran like like Hudson, you know, fill in if you know, Lomo was already playing. As an example, because Eavan's right, you have a third tackle drafted in the first round now, so your your depth is, you know, on the outside has increased exponentially from last year. Was still a little bit curious as to what happened on the side those three interior spots. You know, Ben Brown is a veteran that comes back. He played well when called upon last year in place of Jared Wilson. Beyond Brown, though, I think there are some questions.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I just what I like about the two young tackles you mentioned is is that they're both huge. So like, at least if you're developing traits at the end of the draft, like that's what you want. You two guys that are massive and crownovers wingspin and arm length is like ridiculously massive. He had thirty five plus inch arms at the combine, which is insane. So you know, both those guys that are raw and they have a long way to go, but at least you're betting on traits and upside and size and just things you can't teach.
Speaker 16: So great projects for.
Speaker 17: Doug Moron and Jason Haddling and those guys to just sink their teeth into and work on, and then you don't have to play them right away. They don't have to be pressed into roles where they have to play significant snaps. So fun group at tackle now with the two first round picks obviously being the big guys, but even those you know, depth guys too, I think have some up side and some ability. So the interior, I think you guys are right in terms of what's behind Ben Brown.
Speaker 1: But I think Ben Brown's.
Speaker 17: A pretty solid, you know, super sub, you know, guy that can play all three of those positions. And I wouldn't roll out Lomu playing guard if they have to, you know, if AVT has another long injury, you know, then I would assume that Lomu's going to have a chance to play at left guard.
Speaker 5: Well, one of the more thing I want to bring up before we wrap up, I just want to put Will Campbell onto the spotlight for a second, just to use such a lightning rod last year, you know, first overall pay if you talk about armlenk All that stuff has a solid you know, regular season, gets hurt, comes back was obviously the target, especially in the Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl game plan to get after you know, Paul, what's just your feeling here?
Speaker 1: As we get with Will Campbell year two?
Speaker 16: What you what are you looking for me?
Speaker 15: Well, that's why I mentioned at the top that one of the big keys for me is the year two jump for both Campbell and Wilson, because I think both of them will have to be a lot better than they were last year.
Speaker 1: Certainly at the end of last year.
Speaker 15: I mean, I think they both had their moments during the course of the season, but down the stretcher wasn't good enough.
Speaker 1: So how much better are they in year two?
Speaker 7: Now?
Speaker 1: They both should be a lot better.
Speaker 15: I Mean, that's what you're looking for out of young players, is that, you know, you get a little stronger, you get a little experience, you get a little bit more savvy in terms of knowing what to expect from some of these really talented guys. And let's face it, when they got to the playoffs, the level of competition really really rose, especially for those guys, especially for Campbell. He's based some really good edge rushers and maybe he wasn't healthy enough. He looks healthy now, so I expect him to be that much better in year two.
Speaker 16: Yeah, if his.
Speaker 17: Floor is pre injury rookie season, Will Campbell, I don't know if it was the fourth overall pickworthy, but I think you did okay, you know, and you got a guy that's going to start on the offensive line for a while. The question is is, you know, can he improve on that and can he be even better than that? You know, we can get into some of the technical things. I think that's the biggest thing to me, other than just adding play strength and getting stronger and maturing physically. For Will Campbell, I think some of us forget you know, he's twenty two years old. You know, he's just a baby. You know, he's a kid. So hopefully physically he gets a little bit more mature and that will help him in that way. But technically, you know, I just thought that last year he didn't do himself a ton of favors in the playoffs with the way that he was setting, vertical setting into the backfield, inviting those bull rushes. I think there's ways that savvier, more experienced guys can kind of teach him and coach him to improve on those things, to maybe change it up a little bit more and be a little bit less predictable in the way that he sets against, you know, in traditional drop back setting. So I think that there's things like that, and you know, he's going to have to be able to do that. I think we've talked about that in the past. Because he doesn't have ideal length at that position. He's going to have to be a technician. He's going to have to win with his feet and win with his brain and win with his technique and that sort of thing. So that's what comes with experience. That's what you hope at least.
Speaker 5: All right, Well, that's going to wrap up the offensive line where if they can develop and just stay healthy, this might be one of the best groups in the nf fell and now great moments in.
Speaker 2: History.
Speaker 10: I watched the post game, you know a little bit I thought they thought the network struggled, yes, in that regard.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the trophy presentation left a little bit to be desired.
Speaker 10: Yeah, which unfortunately I watched some of that, and then you know, some of the interviews, you know, all the players, I kind of heard from each of the you know, the the six main players. And then I was like, okay, I sorry enough, and these two were up on Twitter.
Speaker 1: Well get it out.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you something a little embarrassing.
Speaker 2: I had on more than that.
Speaker 4: Yes, I promise it's worse. I had on like a clay face mask, you know, doing your skincare at night. You know it's a girl thing. But I started tearing up a little bit with the Douce stuff, like as the little moment, little little Douce Tatum, I don't know, just like and then hearing people talk about like Tommy, I don't know, I'm emotional. It might be that time of a month.
Speaker 1: But whatever, that's another great moment.
Speaker 2: All right back here and Patriot's unfiltered. It's Alex, it's me, it's Deuce, it's Matt and Nabooth, Evan and Paul are on vacation. The last hurrah. Yeah, you know who else is back?
Speaker 1: The turf out there, Yeah, the green turf just like that.
Speaker 5: If you want to know why they have turf instead of grass, it's because it took about what a week ago was the last game, and they already got turf back in there, so.
Speaker 1: It's easy to put in and easy to use, a lot.
Speaker 2: Easy to drink, easy to enjoy. Bud Light, the official sponsor of the New England Patriot.
Speaker 1: Walk right into that one.
Speaker 2: Darius and Louisville says, I'm so ready for the season to begin. It's crazy, but I was wondering, what is one game you're looking forward to this year? I have a couple that I can't wait to watch. It's got three actually, the Bills, both of them, the Chargers and the Lions. I think those games will be really real measuring sticks. And also that shirt looking real spiffy. Fred I wish I had one.
Speaker 4: I kind of want a second. That's my favorite T shirt.
Speaker 2: I don't think we have anymore. I think they sold out in the pro shop. We should get some more orders pro shop.
Speaker 9: I will find that out.
Speaker 2: Okay, you should probably get some more, maybe an updated one for this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, season two.
Speaker 4: Do you ever get complimented on it in public?
Speaker 2: No, because I don't wear it that often.
Speaker 4: I have once, and it's like, listen, if you know you know shirt like, I'll stop and talk to that fan and chat.
Speaker 2: Like the PU T shirts, I'll go, I'll pick a different one.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna say Monday Night football against the Chiefs at Arrowhead. That's the final wraps up the final four games, you know, begins the final four game set. I just think it's where's Mahomes and the Chiefs? Are they back to what they are? Are the Patriots? You know, where do they stand? It's an opportunity to go into I mean, you guys rave about that environment and how hard it is to play there in December when it's cold. I think it's that's to me is just a huge test to really you know, measuring.
Speaker 1: Stick of where the Patriots are are at that point.
Speaker 2: So nobody is mentioning Wednesday night.
Speaker 5: I mean, I mean it's also the opener though, Like I'm super excited for that one.
Speaker 1: I think it's a great test. That's such a high drama of a rematch. Sorry, Fred, does this count as a rematch?
Speaker 2: No, it's not a Super Bowl rematch. It actually kind of is a rematch, Like it's so close, yeah, yeah, same everything, So I would excuse someone calling it a rematch.
Speaker 5: I don't know how much that game is really gonna affect the twenty twenty six season. Like I as a rule, I don't overreact to anything that happens in September. I think you're trying to figure it out.
Speaker 1: It's a really tough, sweet winy right, ah, right, I mean that would be amazing.
Speaker 5: You know, Paul makes the point many times if that's a hard game. I mean, you guys saw plenty of times the Patriots raised the banner and then you know, didn't quite play off the snuff. I mean a couple of times they did too, the famous one they did in twenty seventeen against.
Speaker 1: The Chiefs when they got run over by Kareem Hunt. But uh no, that's a huge game. I just I don't I don't.
Speaker 5: Think it's gonna it's I think it's gonna be more connected to last year than this year, if that makes sense.
Speaker 4: I think I'm just mostly excited about the Bills because I think it's just going to turn into such a great rivalry over the next couple of years. And last year, that first Bills win felt like such a pivotal moment. It really set the whole season on course for what it became. So hopefully those become more tone setting games in the future.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but there's a lot of really you know, fun games. I mean, it's like these ones I think all stand out. But you know, even playing the Bears on Thursday night football can Williams and that offense and you know what they've been doing, you know the Lions he mentioned, I mean in Munich like a weird you know, yeah, playing.
Speaker 1: Off the beaten path over there.
Speaker 2: Listen, the beauty of the NFL is that it's once a week. Every game is an event. You know, it's not one of one sixty two or one of one of eighty two, it's one of seventeen. And so every game is huge and you can think of a reason to get up for any game. Like I'm like Jets Week. I'll be excited about Jetsweek as I am for the season opener, or as I am for Munich. You know, every every week to me is like it's a build up. Sees it's a build up.
Speaker 1: But it's so different than last year.
Speaker 5: And that's like, I mean, the Patriots team got a lot of crap about them playing an easy schedule, but like it also was not you know, it's harder to get up for those games against you know, Tennessee and the rookie quarterback or you know Cleveland.
Speaker 2: We don't even know who's playing quarterback for them.
Speaker 5: But even the Broncos game, the second and last game, reading that long Wickersham article about the Broncos and everything that was going on behind the scenes and how much they felt Bonnicks could have helped them against the Patriots. Now, what the Broncos and Patriots look like the second last week in the season, I don't know.
Speaker 4: You know, the Broncos will probably have a lot of.
Speaker 1: Broncos, probably have a circle.
Speaker 5: Maybe by that point, though you're a new team, you're not quite as connected.
Speaker 4: I guess it depends what the playoff implications are.
Speaker 5: Look at that point, you know that and that AFC West is just is just a really competitive division with some uncertainy this year, and the Patriots are going to have, you know, a big say and how that all plays out.
Speaker 2: So I don't know if this is true. But Chris writes in as much as you have talked about Forge in Foxborough, I'm surprised that you haven't mentioned that the season two episode two dropped a day early. Watched before the show today and found it excellent as with the others did Is that true? Can I get someone to let me know whether or not this dropped? I thought we weren't releasing it until tomorrow. I know it's pretty much done, not on YouTube.
Speaker 1: I'm referring to the one minute.
Speaker 2: I think, Chris, you might be thinking of just episode right one seasons.
Speaker 1: Is a people are having a collective heart attack that it accidentally.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's great if everyone thought it was ready to go, but I don't think that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, now it's not on there. The episode one is up, of course.
Speaker 2: Yeah, episode one, Season two is up, but not episode two. Yeah, don't scare us like that. Oh somebody uh text me or something that from upstairs that we might know it looks.
Speaker 5: I mean, I've looked at YouTube and Patriots dot Com and both just look like episode one.
Speaker 1: So don't worry for in a rogue published.
Speaker 4: Yeah, publishers on the schedule.
Speaker 2: Oops, let's see Bill in Norfolk, May, Virginia. I don't know which is better, Christian having a decent call where he isn't a heel or him being locked out of his car like an idiot.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I thought I thought that the fans of would have some fun with Christian's story about not being able to get into his tesla, speaking of like Wi Fi and all that. So we're talking about cars, and I have an electric car and I put in a charger which is at the end of the walkway's probably about, I don't know, fifteen yards from the front of my house.
Speaker 2: And when I first put it in, like I put it in February or March, like the Wi Fi reached out there, so like I can connect that charge of to the Wi Fi and I can control it and all that stuff, which which is great. But all of a sudden, like the Wi Fi, I can't connect anymore. So I bought one of those Infinity Wi Fi extenders. Doesn't work. Oh so I spent all that last night on the phone with them God because I was getting a weak signal. I'm standing three feet away from it. And they called me today going through things again, so they're gonna have to call on a technician. But I watch my freaking work.
Speaker 4: I used to work.
Speaker 2: It used to work, you know, so frustrating.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's the worst, right, you know, it can do it and then it's just like does the equipment start to go back or yeah.
Speaker 2: So frustrated. Podcast like it just remin reminds me like technology can be good, but it also be a pain in the ass.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 2: You know. Now you have an electric car, you kind of have to be connected to it.
Speaker 5: And I'm sure there's somebody listening right now and be like Fred, you're doing it all wrong. You can't go through the companies for the Wi Fi. You got to do your own thing and get your own little satellite, you know, and then it'll work fine.
Speaker 9: For your neighbors aren't stealing any of your WiFi.
Speaker 3: Copilot is Actually that's one of the suggestions for copilot right now.
Speaker 2: What is? What's that?
Speaker 3: It's a new neighbors might be using Wi Fi network and.
Speaker 2: That degrades it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, what vacation, New furniture the signal.
Speaker 2: I don't think so, because the house is fine. Inside the house, throughout the house is fine. So no, I don't And there's a lot of space between houses where I am, so I don't think that's the problem.
Speaker 9: It gave a bunch of other reasons.
Speaker 3: New furniture, Yeah, new construction could weaken signals that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, uh so, I don't know. We'll see. We'll try to get Exfinity out there. That'll be fun.
Speaker 5: Yeah, sometime there between tomorrow and October.
Speaker 4: Be home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, we'll be there between eight in the morning and in nine at night maybe yeah, I mean talking about crappy.
Speaker 5: I gotta go to the R and V tomorrow and I'm not looking forward to that one at all and be like eight am, line up, what do you have to go there for the registrar. I got to reregister my car too, because this is the thing. My car is, you know, old, but I needed to get the insurance stamp again, like it's been insured. But now the guy told me today, he's like, oh, they started doing this again after COVID that you can't just renew online without getting another insurance staff. I just he said, he said, this is one of the first ones I've seen where you had to do it.
Speaker 1: So I guess this is coming.
Speaker 4: How many years this?
Speaker 5: I mean I've had this car for for eight years, I mean since I moved back here. So it's just another reason. I'm like, why are they trying to put more people into the d m V. You know you've heard all heard that ad on TV, like you can't.
Speaker 1: I can't stamp it like I got it, you.
Speaker 2: Know about the woman who sings the.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's it's exactly what they sound.
Speaker 4: Like reference But it's funny Nonetheless.
Speaker 5: I can't register your cay if you don't have a stamp from your insurance.
Speaker 4: You got it, like the light bulb went off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a song at the end where she sings and she's got this like voice, like I can't even describe it. It's it's so weird, Ye writes in Happy Thursday, Fred. It's a penalty kick Todd game. You need one goal for the lead. But it has to be a member from p U. Who are you picking and it can't be Alex Ah. I probably go with me, probably do the skating long. I have strong ankles.
Speaker 1: I mean, Paul blew out his achilles. Yeah, so we got to be careful with him.
Speaker 2: And I don't know Evan.
Speaker 1: Evan would probably have all the angy be like you can kind of get it. It's seventy five degrees.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Evan will only get you that far, will do all this analysis, and then I'll approach the ball and stubb his foot in the ground and like not even get the kickoff. So yeah, I think it would have to be deuced. Yeah, yeah, I work out, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's how he's the only one. Evan's not still working out.
Speaker 1: I was pitching.
Speaker 4: I mean, Evan never did work out.
Speaker 2: No, I don't even know if I'd have Paul pitch. Have you ever seen him?
Speaker 1: He's like throws the wrong hand.
Speaker 2: It's like all slurve and really yeah, like was he junk fifty miles an hour? Yeah, I don't know if you weren't here, obviously, but we had the Baseball Challenge. So we were doing a show and we were making fun of Paul, and he said, you know, Andy was on the show at the time, and it was me and some He said, none of you would be evil able to even get the ball out of the infield if I was pitching. So I said, all right, that's it, We're going to do it. So we went down to a high school. We had balls, and we had catchers, equipment and bats and everything, and we all brought and uh, I forget who was filming it. We filmed it, of course, and uh you know, first pitch, Andy hit one out of the infield. It was a it was a high pop up to probably shallow center, but he got it out. He got it out. He wouldn't throw me a strike like that. It was way outside. I finally hit a solid ground ball up the middle. But technically you can make the case that wasn't out you know, travel that far, but it wasn't out of the infield in the air, so I never made really good contact with him, but he wouldn't throw a strike.
Speaker 4: This footage, when did you do it?
Speaker 3: Fowere you get me to that before the newslet our it department was down here getting me access to old footage so I can find it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Bob Doyle probably knows where it is is. But it was fun. We had fun.
Speaker 4: I need that for the news.
Speaker 5: One of these random sports challenges popped up in the past. They don't They don't really anymore, you.
Speaker 2: Know, Yeah, the push up contest, and then you get yeah, yeah, it's probably.
Speaker 5: Because you guys at that version of the show was a lot more like yelling and so they probably.
Speaker 1: Push up you no problem, but you know, there's a lot it seems like a lot of that energy going on. You would hit it out of the infield. I love father on the gauntlet down like none.
Speaker 2: Of you would even get it out of the infield.
Speaker 4: Did you get like dressed up for it? Did you know it was andy there? What did you wear?
Speaker 2: Just shorts?
Speaker 4: What didn't go like hardo.
Speaker 2: Let's see Jay are what's that Jay in Minnesota? Hearing you guys talk about how much sports and the big game or match mean to people, it got me thinking of out some controversial calls or events in sports, and I want to know what you'd think the biggest controversial calls or play in sports to you in your lifetime. I remember watching the des Brian catch slash no catch as a team as a team and thinking that the Cowboys got robbed. Let me know what you guys think.
Speaker 5: There's a couple, a couple, I mean Gronk and Luke Keigley in the end zone against the Panthers.
Speaker 1: That was that one when he got He's just like I.
Speaker 2: Was right there so mad at that one. That was one though. The Olympic Russia VERSUS America basketball game when Russia basically had three violations at the end of the game ended up winning. Remember when Russia beat the USA and Olympic basket that was huge controverse seventies something like that. Yeah, I remember that one. So that was one. Uh what was it the Red Sox in the in the reds or the I think it was Red Sox in the reds Uh, arm Brister, the ref, the umpire calling him either safer, I forget which one is. His back was to the play and he's making the safe motion at Armbrister. I think that was a huge one for me. That was ridiculous. What a controversial games for you.
Speaker 5: The pail Mary that one back back in twenty twelve against the Packers and Seahawks.
Speaker 2: You remember that one? Yeah at the end, Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 5: I feel like Paul would have to be good at this one because he yeah, his friend one things, Yeah, when rests, when refs went wrong.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's got he's got to steal.
Speaker 5: The hockey one said, you know, uh no, I don't know nothing.
Speaker 2: There's probably some I just in the moment, I'm struggling to come up with. Yeah.
Speaker 5: But I also as somebody who doesn't really like I just look at the refs as like life, like sometimes life gives you a break and sometimes life a crappy turn for you, And so I don't get too.
Speaker 2: Caught up in that.
Speaker 5: Like and for the most part, I feel like things generally even themselves out.
Speaker 1: But I don't. I don't hold grudges against it.
Speaker 4: Does Bryant One did feel like it was just all of Twitter universally like what that's where the what is a catch came from? You know, that was kind of a pivotal one.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I mean it's it's obviously so different now with social media, and you know, if a call.
Speaker 1: Happened in the days of newspapers, what are you going to do? Writeing a letter to the editor about you didn't like it?
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 5: So it's a lot more people being vocal and fan bases having a platform to express their dissatisfaction.
Speaker 1: So I think we're probably a little bit more familiar with recent ones.
Speaker 4: But there's got to be fans have the ability to frame and um, you know.
Speaker 1: I hate that too.
Speaker 5: I mean that's just you know, human error can be part of the part of the sport too.
Speaker 2: I mean there's that famous play I think it's a USC the band is on the field end up, Like how did that play not get whistled dead? I mean there's like people running all over there.
Speaker 5: I know, I know, you know, yeah, yeah, yeah, I try to forget him. Yeah, somebody's gonna call it and be like you idiots, yeah this one.
Speaker 1: And I was like, oh right, I feel like there's.
Speaker 4: A really recent either NFC or AFC Championship where there's something controversial towards the end. But I don't remember. I've just I forget more than I remember these days. Well, so much content.
Speaker 2: Twenty eleven, Oh no, no, no, which is would be the Ravens Openers. No, the super Bowl? One of the super Bowls that we lost. There were a couple calls again.
Speaker 1: In the grass I mean two thousand and seven in the grass Eli Manning.
Speaker 2: Yeah one, but that wasn't so much. I forget which one. It was like back of the end zone.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, Oh okay, so that's the Eagle Super Bowl.
Speaker 5: I think you're talking about where they Super Bowl where they like he didn't really get didn't have control and two feet but the NFL said good touchdown and it didn't look like it should have been a touch you.
Speaker 2: Know, then all the zapproval film stills come out and everything. That's one we.
Speaker 1: Probably should have thought of that thoughts on.
Speaker 5: That definitely was one that was a little like, you know, yeah, everybody's scoring left and right in that game anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there's so much that happened that it kind of gets lost a little.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, the the Philly Special I mean that wasn't Yeah, no, that was that was that was illegal play there too.
Speaker 1: I think some people say that with that, really I think so.
Speaker 2: Yeah again, Yeah, so I'm sure there's a lot we're missing. So if you have him right in or calling, Laurie wants a Forge in Foxboro shirt. So we gotta we gotta see about ordering more of these.
Speaker 9: Email Matisi's just out of the office today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Sora morning. We should get the design too, so we should probably redesign it a little bit so it's a little bit different. Yeah.
Speaker 5: There was significant discussion whether the Eagles were in an illegal formation. The NFL rules states at least even players need to be on line of scrimmage the time of the snap. Critics, including former NFL officiating had Mike Perera, argued that wide receiver al Seon Jeffrey was not properly alignely Eagles only had six players on the line.
Speaker 2: Well, go to the biggest sports controversies in history, all right, you know, I'm sure you know there's a way to look that up nowadays.
Speaker 4: Well, that'll give you controversies, not necessarily controversial calls.
Speaker 2: Is that what the email was? In particular? Controversial?
Speaker 4: Calls, Yeah, this is more controversies.
Speaker 1: You're right.
Speaker 5: I read the seventy two of Olympic men's basketball final us Verst Soviet Union guy comes in at number four. Oh, I was so mad the Lance Armstrong doping scandal.
Speaker 2: You know what. It's all so Paul and Andy will know this. I was probably the last person on earth who was defending Lance Strong. I'm like, how could he be doping? Get the rubbers on risk all that stuff for cancer? He would never do that, right up to the end, And I was devast well not devastated, but I was really disappointed that, you two, the.
Speaker 4: Doping felt like the least disappointing part about all he did. Like he tried to ruin people's lives to cover up what he was doing, you know, and like successfully did.
Speaker 5: And it was such like an interesting journey for lancear because he was an amazing cycler and.
Speaker 1: Then Cheryl crow right, and then like he gets cancer.
Speaker 5: I mean he was like everywhere in his body, right, and then he beats it and he comes back and he's even better, and it's like, what an amazing story, and he was like on top of the world.
Speaker 2: And then all for not Yep, it all just fell apart.
Speaker 1: They said, well, yeah, we.
Speaker 3: Got Microsoft coat pilot has the Hand of God by Diego Maradona in the nineteen eighty six as the number one world.
Speaker 2: They mentioned that in a couple of the World Cup Games, the Hand of God play.
Speaker 9: Yeah, he scored a goal in the quarterfinals with his hand.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The nineteen nineteen Black SOXCA scandal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, your Red.
Speaker 1: Sox fop thing is on here though it's not there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that gave me five here with the I think it was seventy five.
Speaker 5: Is anyone familiar with the Paralympic Spanish basketball scandal?
Speaker 2: No, okay, no, they had a guy in a wheelchair. It wasn't disabled.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, oh jeez, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: It's worse.
Speaker 5: The Spanish team won gold in the Sydney Paralympics, but it was real later that ten of the twelve players.
Speaker 1: Were not mentally disabled to having pretended.
Speaker 4: To pretended to have mental health.
Speaker 9: Is Spain was stripped at that movie with Johnny Knoxville.
Speaker 5: That's a comedy movie the ringer, Right, Yeah, yeah, wow?
Speaker 4: What about when those was it BC basketball players got tied up with the mob. There's a thirty for thirty about it playing for the Mob. Was that a big deal at the time or did it feel like it?
Speaker 1: I don't know that one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, maybe not.
Speaker 2: Then wow, well there was yeah, what about Yeah the thirty.
Speaker 4: Playing for the Mob, right, that's what it's called. Maybe maybe not?
Speaker 2: That was the cartel? Yeah, yeah, I saw that. That was a good thirty for thirty. Yeah, yeah, mob. I'm not familiar cartel. Cartel, cartel, Oh yeah, soccer cartel.
Speaker 4: Well the one I'm talking about. Oh, you're talking about the two Escobars best thirty for thirty. There is right right right where they kill the soccer player and.
Speaker 1: It's all right. It was that their own goal, but he was their star and.
Speaker 2: They killed him. God not good.
Speaker 4: Crazy though Matt Wright sin as someone who recently moved out for the first time, I'm looking forward to Fred's new podcast.
Speaker 2: I have a mobile home with my partner and three dogs. Will this include gardening and possibly even renovating outdated sheds? Gardening to the point of flowers and stuff. I don't do vegetables like ala, but the guy that I'm doing it with in his backyard he has apple trees and all that, so I'm sure we'll get into that.
Speaker 4: Does he also have a historic home on the Cape.
Speaker 2: No, he has more of a modern home. His backyard like won an award. Really yeah, it's got like, you know, a pool and everything. It's really nice. Spent forth of July there.
Speaker 4: Yeah nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Has it been like featured in like Boston magazine or something.
Speaker 2: Maybe Cape Cod magazine? Okay, yeah, yeah, but it's it's really well done.
Speaker 1: Yea, his backyard. He like just retire at like forty or something, and like he just no no, no, he.
Speaker 2: Works, yuh works at home remotely. But yeah, it's yeah, we'll have it on the podcast.
Speaker 4: You'll have the old home stuff, he'll have the new like smart home.
Speaker 2: How many hydranges does he have? Yeah, not a lot of hydrangers I have.
Speaker 4: I have a lot.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you're on the Cape and you got a garden, you better have something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you gotta have the hydranges. Uh. So we'll get into that. Mahen, I hope you'm pronouncing your first name right.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Do you think a Booty and Digs reunion can happen in d C?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I could see that. I mean, you know, I think Terry mclaurin's getting a little up there. I mean, I think they they could use a little I mean they're another team. I think they're kind of running it back with their offense for the most part and hoping they stay healthy.
Speaker 2: Sure I could see that.
Speaker 5: I mean, I tund like Burke Breer had a little report on Booty the pager is trying to do right by him.
Speaker 2: Well I heard he deleted all his patriots.
Speaker 1: Yeah, stuff is yeah the other day. Well it's uh, I think mean next week's going to be interesting.
Speaker 5: I think because you might get some movement, you'll probably get the you'll get the pup guys curious who's on that, uh, and and maybe they will try.
Speaker 2: To do I don't know if we talked about it, but Diggs posted recently, uh, you know, kind of frustrated with what's going on, like, you know, saying, in essence, you can't tell me that I'm not better than a lot of the number two receivers in this league, and like you can't use me on your roster. Yeah, I mean he's getting a little frustrated that no one's you know, I wonder with the timing of the offield stuff with him, and I know you know that all got squared away for him.
Speaker 5: But if that didn't really coincide with free agency, and that led teams to say, you know what, let's just wait till we get to camp, see what we got, see how it's coming together, see who gets hurt, and you know, if we have to make a move, let's do it.
Speaker 1: But I go back to Kansas City with him.
Speaker 5: I just think, you know, that's another one where they need some help with around Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 1: I think he can still do it. You know, he was a great, great citizen here.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm surprised that a team wouldn't jump at him after he turned in a thousand yard season off and a torn acl You.
Speaker 4: Said you saw something that Kaishaan cleared his socials of Patriots.
Speaker 2: Yeff, yeah, booty, Uh huh.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 4: He is in Franklin, mass right now, and he's going to play basketball at King Street Memorial brack and thirty according to his Instagram story. So he's inviting people to play basketball with him, and his bio says wide receiver at Patriots with a blue heart. Okay, and there's still pictures of him in uniform.
Speaker 2: All right, I got bad info.
Speaker 4: He did some pictures. It seems like because he only has five now either team stuff and then him in front of a g wagon.
Speaker 1: What do you do?
Speaker 5: I mean if they if they are like we got to move on, we gotta get you know, but you don't.
Speaker 1: Really have a taker and stupid to just release him right like?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I listen, everybody knows I love Booty. You know I think I don't think he's got a big upside. Let's see, uh what I was thinking?
Speaker 4: Upside? Backside? Yeah, he's good downside jokes in my head.
Speaker 2: Who's this? Doesn't say who he is or her? I just want to compliment the team. Many have talked about Alex as being super informative, bringing a great vibe to the show, and she is also beautiful. Why have people not commented on her humor? She is hilarious To be honest, I have almost lost bladder control during the Bridesmaid speech off.
Speaker 4: People love that a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, love Deuce too. I really enjoy all his voices, accents, special effects that he can just do. Evan is great as the ball knower with X and O's breakdown. I love Paul's accent and Devil's advocate attitude. It's just so Massachusetts, New England to me, I no longer live there, so it makes me feel at home. And of course Fred the ringleader making sure that uh all on the panel get their chance to speak with no one person dominating. I don't know about that one.
Speaker 4: It really is a great caricature for a New England man.
Speaker 2: But I don't think he's an accent.
Speaker 1: Though he doesn't, he can charm it up. Oh yeah, we all cannot. His is so.
Speaker 4: Subtle and we're so used to it because we know so many people with accents that are so subtle. But if you put him anywhere else, I think people would pick up on it.
Speaker 5: I think especially you have a couple of drinks with him, then you can start you are start to go.
Speaker 2: Another person wanting at Forge and Fox Spurrow shirt.
Speaker 1: We don't do the.
Speaker 4: I know that's your actual team here.
Speaker 2: We've got to get a to.
Speaker 4: Be like a special prize. You can't just be giving those away like the PU T shirt.
Speaker 1: This is nice. They're really good, Yeah, really soft.
Speaker 4: I think forty seven brand. They're so soft, they're perfect. Heather Gray, it's a perfect T.
Speaker 2: Shirt Gray it yeap. Let's see Tyler has a would you rather Tyler from Ludlow. Someone kept so would you rather someone captures a video of you picking your nose and eating it? Oh, and it becomes a viral video, or all of your arguments with your partner are transcribed and sent to their parents. Oh god, oh I do the second one. Yeah, me too, Because I'm always right right, I'd be.
Speaker 1: Like, wow, you're taking this so well?
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, I don't know you're you think next parents would be like, you're a little irrational here, Alex on this argument, I don't know what you're doing.
Speaker 4: Here sometimes because not being Franks like I can be very irrational laws and also like I think the first one, I could make it look cute, like a hot mugshot or something like you might be able to.
Speaker 2: I think most in laws or whatever they two seconds of it. They'd be like, I don't want to watch it. I know, I know, I want everything to be bliss to you. I don't want to even acknowledge that their mind.
Speaker 4: That's how yeah right? Exactly?
Speaker 5: Do you guys encounter a lot of couples who bicker like around you, like you know, oh.
Speaker 4: You know not anymore. But growing up, my friends in their early twenties dating pieces of work, like to put it mildly, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Like older couples who are like you guys have been at this for a while.
Speaker 4: And like my grandparents, Oh my god, fifty years how how I don't know how my mom and uncle lived in that house. God bless my grandfather soul.
Speaker 2: Would you rather receive free dinner in the North End for life? But you have to brag the entire dinner about how it's the best Italian food? Or free Duncan for life? But you talk in the thickest Boston accent whenever you're holding a coffee.
Speaker 5: Oh God, Duncan, duncan, Yeah, oh yeah, because you can get it anywhere.
Speaker 2: I think if I ate too much Italian food like that, I would get a lot of heartburn.
Speaker 4: I look at Brendan game. Five pounds plus the.
Speaker 9: Fact you don't have to drive into the North End?
Speaker 2: Right? Would you rather for the next one hundred days, you're going to wake up and relive the same day over and over groundhog days style?
Speaker 4: What day is it?
Speaker 2: Would you rather repeat your first day of high school or your first day of your official W two job? Which? Which is which? I don't know.
Speaker 1: It seems like three choices iconic first.
Speaker 2: Okay, so the first one is wake up and do the groundhog day.
Speaker 4: For one hundred day, so that's like a.
Speaker 2: Third of a year.
Speaker 1: It depends on what day.
Speaker 5: Is it one of the best days of my life or worst days of my life, or just for the next it's just the same day and it's starting.
Speaker 2: To yeah, or would you rather repeat your first day of high school or your first day of your first official W two job you ever had? I, Alex, please tell the story about your epic first day of high school.
Speaker 1: I didn't quite catch what you said.
Speaker 2: Did you say you kissed someone in study?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 4: I didn't. I just like I saw my high school crush for the first time. We had a study hall together, and then I met my English teacher too, who became like a great crush, just a great dude. Yeah, yeah, I know I had a good I crushed high school guys. I don't know to tell you I didn't.
Speaker 2: High school was good. I can't complain about high school like I feel bad for the kids where high school was freaking hell, torture and hate, Like, I genuinely feel bad for them, because that's the years of your life.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's pretty cool. My son is in eighth grade. He'll be a freshman, you know, in the next month or so. And he's a lacrosse player and they do just tennis ball lacrosse with the varsity team behind one of the elementary schools, and so he's been going to it. And you know, I don't didn't watch her anything, but when I go to pick him up, and I'm like, this is so cool, you know, just talking about starting high school and the seniors, you know, calling them little funny nicknames. You know, it's just that's such a cool time when you're the young kid and you're looking I mean, remember how old all the seniors seem when you were like a freshman.
Speaker 1: They are, like they still look old to me, Like I see pictures of the kids that you know, they like sixteen.
Speaker 4: No, I say that all the time. Like I got to high school and I was like, oh, these are like men.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know that's the problem.
Speaker 2: Act. Hey, what's up. So did you date older guys when you were in high school?
Speaker 4: No? No, my boyfriend, one of them, my high school boyfriend was in my class. I had a flirtation with a senior as a freshman.
Speaker 1: Though you had a flair or was he she was marked for death as he's.
Speaker 2: Like, But but it just seemed to me like, at least in my high school, like all the good looking young freshmen would all date the older guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah I didn't, but also like that flirtation was hardly put down when the senior in question brought me to school in his car because we had a half day, so we went out to breakfast. And then my best friend's older brother, who was his friend and hockey teammates, saw me get out of his car that morning for school and like there are friends and had like a little bit of an altercate, not like a physical or anything.
Speaker 2: But was it a Camaro.
Speaker 4: No, it was a Honda Civic, like a ninety nine blue Honda Civic. And yeah, my Joey Roberts, my best friend's older brother, who looked at me like a little sonor it was like hell no, But there was always not happening.
Speaker 5: There was always the you know, yeah, the girls, girls mature faster than boys. So you get to be a freshman and then you know, but then by the time you get the senior, all of a sudden, you the girls are like, oh, now you actually look like you know one of those guys, the seniors. Now you know then there were more relationships, but I totally that was I mean, I remember playing football and you know, being a freshman, and like the senior guys are talking about girls in Migrate and I'm like, what.
Speaker 2: You guys. Okay, let's get back to the phones. Eldred is in North Carolina. What's up? Eldred?
Speaker 18: Hey, Alex Bred Mike. I would pull the horn, but I'm getting loaded, so I can't start right. I wish it was Hennessy and Coat right now, I'm getting loaded with with them with some bedding. I'm getting loaded with incredible. Yeah.
Speaker 19: But uh, I got a question for I know everybody's dog Day's football question is, well, let me see the worst thing call is that two thousand and seven when Eli should have been in the grass and I think they wanted us to lose anyway to get them Dolphins and Electric stay on defeated team.
Speaker 18: That's what I think. I think it was the product from the Ganda whatever we wanna call it. But question for you, I don't like Red Bdard that much because he's saying he wouldn't pay Christian Gonzales. He's just give him a little bit, little bit of a bump, and two years down the line, you know you're going to you know, because May's coming up next year. Two years down the line, you can trade them off. You might get two twos or two to onees or whatever. But but like I think Evan brought up with Evan, he said, you could pay them both, but they both would come due to the twenty eighth and by that time, the older guys, the older free agents and stuff we've got, the big magic contracts would be coming off. So what would y'all think? And do you agree with Evan or do you think Grey Bernard got a point? And now I take it off the.
Speaker 2: Air, Yeah, thank you, Okay, I mean, I didn't hear what Greg said.
Speaker 5: I think his report was just that that he was hearing that people in organization wanted Gonzalez to be a little bit more physical, I mean, and Gonzalez.
Speaker 1: Clap back on social media.
Speaker 5: My perspective is, you don't know what kind of talent's coming down the road. You have a talented guy in house, he's a cornerback, he's an elite athlete. I don't need him to be all that physical. In a perfect world. If he was the perfect player, might he be a little bit more physical maybe, but he can run with anybody. And I think that to me is like, you know, it's was the old like run cell thing, like you fight the you fight the war with the army you have, you don't fight it with the army you want, and like, yeah, you would love to have him be the perfect player, but that's not how it works. And I mean, he's clearly an elite athlete and elite cornerback smooth, Like.
Speaker 4: How much would a lot of physicality take away from that?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 5: So you know parm was somebody like Carlon Davis who was a little more physical and let him roam your backfield, So I I, well.
Speaker 2: That's the That's the other thing is I know that there was something that Rabel was looking for from Gonzalez early last year that he was lacking that eventually Gonzales did and Rabel you know, didn't specify exactly what that was, but you could tell he was a lot more pleased with Gonzalez as the year went by. I don't know if that's physicality. So I don't know if Bagard's report is accurate, but it just seem like they he ended the season on Rabel's good list.
Speaker 1: Yeah for sure, sure, definitely in the And I.
Speaker 2: Agree, like it's an elite position, tough to get an elite player. You drafted this guy, he came up through your system. It's a good sign to sign a guy like that. And the price isn't going to get any less. Know if you wait now, I guess you know.
Speaker 4: Down the road you might have to pay someone more for it.
Speaker 2: If you think you can get two first round picks two years from now, maybe that's a strategy, but you could also blow out his knee. And this is season and now you're back to square one with him, so there's risk doing that too. You've got the bird in the hand, right, You've got the bird in the hands, So why not just seal up that that position for the next five six years?
Speaker 5: And who else are you worried about past drake that you're not going to be able to retain? Like, there ain't really anybody right now. I mean maybe Craig Woodson gets to that point, but like you know, they paid Mount Williams, I mean they paid Christian Barmore. Know, they don't have like a line of guys.
Speaker 2: It's almost like the.
Speaker 1: Patriots Hall of Fame where you're just like, we gotta row guys. They're all gonna get in.
Speaker 2: Well, eventually you're gonna have to pay if let's say Campbell does sure, you're gonna have to pay.
Speaker 1: Your left having, you know, and then that's a decision to make.
Speaker 5: But to have to pay him that he's gonna play great, especially if he plays great as a left tackle, and that price tag gets really big, you know.
Speaker 1: So that's a good problem to have.
Speaker 5: So I look, paying Drake is certainly something they're gonna have to figure out.
Speaker 1: But it's not hard for me to see.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: You get into twenty twenty.
Speaker 5: Eight that Drake and Gonzalez are the big money guys, and you know, at that point, Williams's contract is evened out and maybe they got to give him a little sweetener. But you know, to me, it just goes back to Pagan Zalez and you gotta keep drafting, well, you gotta keep drafting, well, you've got to find the players.
Speaker 4: He represents everything they're trying to do, you know, And it's kind of not a miracle, but it's a blessing that he was there for them to take so it's like not trying to retain him. It's like spitting in the face of the football gods.
Speaker 1: To me, I think I think it gets done.
Speaker 5: I just I mean, based on what I've seen specifically from Elliot Wolf and the way he's managed things the last couple of years, they seem to understand and value talent. And you know, maybe I'm foolish, like because I you know, I didn't feel this way with Bill. Like with Bill, I was worried every time somebody was gonna come up. I mean when we talk about all the time that Collins and High Tower thing of like who are they going to keep? You know, like those like you know when you were so worried because you felt like he was going to draw a line in the sand and say anything more than that, you go go find what's good and listen.
Speaker 2: You know, whether it was Tom Brady getting his first big contract, people were worried about that. There's risk and everything, but it's not debilitating, Like okay, so what if Gonzales doesn't work out and he gets his money and you know, becomes content or has you know, God forbid a bad injury. You can recover from that. Every team can if they want to. It's not like your your franchise is ruined if you have that, if you pay somebody a lot and it doesn't work out, you can you can come back from that.
Speaker 5: And he's an elite athlete, Like there's no doubt that nobody is disagreeing that he is as good as he is. Does he have you know, would you like the personality of his play to be maybe slightly more you know, got that dog in him kind of thing. And I'm looking at you know, the picture of ty Law, who you know would come up and and but I don't think it's like he's so unphysical that it's a detriment to when he plays or anything like that.
Speaker 2: I know Paul scot but I saw him come up and run support and make some pretty good open field tackles last year, cutting the legs, going to Yeah, he's not Dick buckets, but like you can take a guy down in the open field, run around.
Speaker 4: Just look what he didn't catch the ball. That's all I needed to see super Bowl.
Speaker 1: It's so hard to be close special athlete.
Speaker 4: How do you find, like what other position other than quarterback can like really impact your game like that and totally take out a top receiver you know.
Speaker 2: Right well, you know you can like if you have if you have elite pass rusher, that person can can ruin a game for another team.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but those are I mean, those are the two pieces on defense that you talk about. A shut down corner, an elite pass rusher, and those two pieces. If you have both of them at the same time, which I think you know a team like the Rams right now feel like they probably do, it can change how you do things and make life really hard hard on offenses when not only do you have to you know, pay attention to the edge rusher, You've got to figure out a way to get.
Speaker 2: Your top You know, when you have those guys, whether it's the elite pass rush of the corner, they make everybody else better. They make the pass rush, the cornerback makes the pass rush better, the elite pass rusher makes the coverage better. You know, they're complimentary. So when you have those guys that make the rest of your team better, you know, right all, you know, rising tide raises all boats kind of guy, you got to keep them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I've got to keep them. I think Bill had a little evolution with Brievs here. I mean, I don't think he was always a fan of like our top guy on their top guy.
Speaker 1: You like, like our top guy on their number two. We're going to double their number one.
Speaker 5: But Revis's ability when he was here to just shut down a side of the field, and it's like, Okay, we don't have to worry about that guy today. Right now we can focus the rest of our ten guys. When you already have a numbers advantage on defense and now.
Speaker 2: It's a trickle down, it makes everything easier for everybody. Yep, yep. All right, Well we're going to wrap it up for this Thursday show. We'll be back next week on Tuesday. First training camp is a week from this Saturday, first open training camp for the public. So we're getting there. So next week the focus will be on football. Paul will be back, I think right, Evan will be bad. Yeah, So we'll have the full crew and a lot of football to talk about next week. All right, we'll see you next Tuesday.
Speaker 5: Hey, this is Duce. Thanks for tuning into the show. If you really want to help us, make sure you like us wherever you get your podcasts, like Apple Podcasts or Spotify. Also make sure you follow us on the New England Patriots YouTube channel to see this show and everything else that we do here at the Patriot takes a lot