Speaker 1: This Welch's fucking cocktail ship is So it's just so weird because you can tell like there's like a nostalgia play here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like they can look exactly like the fucking Welsh's ship that I used to drink in, like.
Speaker 1: A little fucking weird, Like when are they gonna like I feel like we're right around the corner from Juicy Juice, Like there's gonna be like juicy juice malt liquor. Yeah, Capri remember that ship? Oh my god. You know if they did a fucking Son.
Speaker 2: Destroy with Caprice Son and trans Caprice Son vodka bone marrow transplant.
Speaker 1: That's what we need. But I mean, like you can just tell like they're just sort of using these like because the Sunny Delight I think was the canary in the coal mine. When Sunny d came out with their vodka thing, I was like, this is I'm we're pretty squeeze. Ites is gonna have to be next?
Speaker 2: And guess what vodka confused gushers? I say, Oh, like, I mean do they have they probably have CBD gummies that are gushers?
Speaker 1: Right? Oh maybe probably?
Speaker 2: I mean they go even the one that I meant to say when I said zb I'm hip and I do the drugs.
Speaker 1: I mean I remember like in the early days of like sort of like weed edibles, there would be like the you know, Ganja, Nestley, crunch bar, like kind of evoking these old brands and stuff like that I actually haven't seen. Is like very specifically associated with little children. Yeah, well just like preschool snack time. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Their ads were like straight up like a kid who couldn't pronounce all their words, being like I like grape juice, wepe juice. Yeah, they'll be like and you won't be able to talk either after you have five of our vodka twenty.
Speaker 1: Years Illo, grape juice, Way, weep juice, waste sit off, grape juice.
Speaker 2: Off that Welch's Vodka Transfusion. Hello the Internet, and welcome to Season three forty three, Episode two of Dark Daily's guys production of My Heart Radio. This is the podcast where we take a deep dive in New American share Couchesteni's Tuesday, June eighteenth, twenty twenty four, Happy birthday to my wife. Oh okay, no time for that.
Speaker 3: Six times we don't have time six eighteen three sixes the devil equals eighteenth, the eighteenth day of June. Okay, you see I'm doing here with the saches breaks up into twenty four, which also when you turn the sixes upside down or not or six is equal rolling in that six folk on boom and everybody.
Speaker 2: Everybody says riding down anyway.
Speaker 1: It's also national oh, national spurs Day, National gold fishing Day. Okay, there's a reason we're speaking this fast, folks, don't worry, and it's not because run that Biden crank.
Speaker 2: Because yeah, I just got I just got that State of the Union good good truck and.
Speaker 1: Biden Biden back to get us real fucking amps right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: My name is Jack O'Brien, a here Potato's O'Brien, and I'm thrilled to be joined as always by my co host mister Miles Bred.
Speaker 1: Yes, sin is Miles Grace.
Speaker 3: We get to speed to like trying to be like Joe Biden doing the State of the Union address. It's also the Lord of lankersam aka the Showgun with no Gun because I got no gun problems.
Speaker 1: Miles Gray faint.
Speaker 2: That was great, Thank you for being here, and Miles Gray, we are thrilled to be joined by the executive director of Civil Rights Corp, which is a nonprofit dedicated to fighting systemic injustice. Has been a civil rights lawyer, a public defender, named twenty sixteen's Trialaler of the Year by Public Justice, author of several books, the incredibly compelling Usual Cruelty, which we've had him on to talk about before. He's got one coming mate this year. Most importantly, a great follow on Twitter and all the social media.
Speaker 1: Is just kidding, that's my most important.
Speaker 2: But please welcome back to the show. The brilliant, the talented Alec Hurricanzone. What's up about you?
Speaker 4: Thanks for having me back.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you for being here. And the reason we're talking like auctioneers is because we only have you for forty five minutes, so we wanted to get right into it.
Speaker 4: You all sound great, Thank you.
Speaker 1: Man, repped up man, trying just getting through it, just getting through it.
Speaker 2: Just some people from buying White House and they they've got some Daddy's little helpers is.
Speaker 1: What they call him.
Speaker 2: No, it's amazing to have you back. You know, we usually do search history underrated, overrated, but I think I think we can just skip that unless there's something you desperately want to get off your chest that you think is overrated or underrated, or something from your search history.
Speaker 4: I don't have anything I'm dying to tell everybody. I don't think.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, good, Then we'll ask the questions. We'll ask the questions here, Alec. All right, So last time we checked in with you, there was This was a little over a year ago, or maybe actually a little less than a year ago, but there was a lot of talk in the mainstream media still about how crime was up because everyone defunded the police. And there's been an emerging story that crime has been plummeting much much less popular story with the mainstream media. And I'm pretty sure there hasn't been like a corresponding like the police were never defunded, so like their theory of the case seems to have been exposed as bullshit. So presumably the mainstream media has been flooded with articles explaining what they got wrong and taking a long hard look at their methodology. How are you seeing these latest crime statistics where crime has gone down?
Speaker 4: I think it's first to just take a step back and understand that whether we're talking about last year or the year before the year before that. Overall levels of police reported crime in this country are near historic loves. So even when there was all that frenzy about retail theft and shoplifting or car theft or violent crime or robberies, you know, we were still at a stage in history where all of those things were were extraordinarily low relative to you know, what they were, let's say in the nineties or or in the early two thousands. And it's also important to understand that when you hear about crime statistics in the news, it's really only seven or so crimes that the police track and report to the FBI. And even then most people don't understand that, Like forty percent of police departments don't even report that data to the FBI. So a lot of it is just like FBI statistical estimates based on the police reporting like a few what they call index crimes. So what is left out of crime statistics, Well, almost all the crimes committed by police themselves, almost all the crimes committed by jail and prison guards, almost all white collar crime. Right, So while you hear a lot about theft in the news and retail theft and shoplifting, what don't the police report, and what doesn't FBI report when it's talking about crime rates tax evasion or wage theft. You know, and wage theft is about fifty billion dollars a year, So that right there is three times all of the crime that FBI is reporting is property crime combined. And so you just have to understand the way the media talks about crime stistics is really messed up on like a lot of different levels.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wage theft and tax evasion being two crimes that the general populace, the readership, the intended audience of the mainstream media are the victims of Those are the ones that get ignored, The ones that that's not breathlessly reported, are the ones where Procter and Gamble is, you know, is the victim, and that's that that's treated as like the more important crime.
Speaker 4: And I think this is really important lesson for people, Like you can really mislead people by giving them a few anecdotes. So for example, if you have like a week of news stories, even if the anecdotes you're you're giving are true, like you report on seven true examples of shoplifting from Walgreens every night, you give the people the impression that shoplifting is a huge problem. It might be increasing even, Right. It's kind of like if I compiled a video of every shot Michael Jordan missed in his career and put.
Speaker 2: Them all together.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you could create the impression that Michael Jordan is a terrible basketball player just by taking all of the shots which he actually did miss right, if you don't show the other shots, right, And what the news is doing is something very similar. It's not showing the public any of the tax evasion, or any of the wage steps, or any of the pollution violations. Right. There's one hundred thousand violations that we know about of the Clean Water Act every year. It causes enormous death, cancer, rotting teeth, children suffering from a variety of different preventable illnesses, et cetera. Those are not treated as urgent. And so there's this, and they're not reported on the daily news. And so just through through its reporting of anecdote, even if those anecdotes are actually happening and true, the news can distort our much deeper truths about like what kinds of activity is really harmful to us? And shoplifting is a good example, because tax evasion is about a trillion dollars a year, so that's you know, sixty times every property crime the FBI reports combined, And yet everyone is freaking out of our shoplifting and nobody is thinking about tax evasion, right.
Speaker 1: I feel like the shoplifting thing is still like vibrating through like my childhood neighborhood. Like there are people who like lived in the neighborhood I grow u that are still harping about like, well, you know, there's nothing at CBS anymore because all the shoplifting and like we need to have like a neighborhood meeting about this. And it's like, dude, this is like a two year old conservative take on crime that you're like now being like it's happening, and we it's the scores of our community at the moment. But like, I'm curious for this stuff that you're talking about, Like where is there like a centralized place where you can see like where like DA's or something are reporting things like wage theft or like in a centralized place so I can be like, well, what about this stuff? Or is that more just having to be really vigilant about what is actually coming out of the courts and things like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, unfortunately, one of the big scandals of our time is that the agencies who are supposed to be investigating a lot of these crimes have been completely decimated. So, for example, the federal antitrust regulators have been completely decimated. They're far fewer regulators even looking into whether companies are doing price fixing and doing all kinds of illegal stuff that drives up the costs of goods for consumers, et cetera than there were forty years ago. We have fewer people investigating that stuff now. And the same is true with the so called War on drugs, right they shifted a huge percentage of federal agents who were working on things like white collar crime, fraud, corporate fraud, tax of asion, et cetera, and they shifted government resources toward the drug war. And so there's just fewer people actually even looking for the crimes that are committed by wealthy people. And that means that unfortunately, a lot of the crimes that are happening just like aren't even brought into the legal system at all, and so they're not being reported by prosecutors, not being reported by the police at all, and so we rely on nonprofit organizations really good investigative journalism. Some times the government will will itself investigate in some ways that shed some light on some of these things, and you have to cobble it all together.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's yeah, I mean he realized just how much of that is just to kind of emphasize what, you know, sort of the status quo wants to even define as crime. It's like, well, don't look at that stuff, because then all these other people get caught up in our perception of what criminality is, and we're absolutely don't want to do that. It's to actually just be like, no, no, no, it's the shoplifters. It's these kinds of things that are big capital see crime that we need to worry about. When yeah, so like everyone's saying, these are the ones, like these other things are the things that affect the everyday person on a much deeper level.
Speaker 2: Were they locked up old spice at CBS? Also, we're the victims there. I do not want to wait fifteen extra seconds to get my old spice dewd ran out of the plastic case.
Speaker 1: But it embarrassing to say I want.
Speaker 4: To us a victim anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, we're just gonna pretend you didn't say that, because what about acts? And it's a combination of acts and old spice.
Speaker 1: I mix it together. It's a home blend.
Speaker 2: The axe is the new, the old spice is the old, and that's why I smell great to myself. Not everybody agrees, but yeah, it's a great how what crimes we talk about, what crimes we actually report, is a great way to understand what our society actually values. And it seems like this is yet another place where we find out that we value corporations and corporate earning more than individual human beings and individual human lives.
Speaker 4: But I think it's important to understand that the people who tell you that they are like tough on crime, law and order people, what those people are actually meaning by that is they are sort of ruthlessly punishing some crimes committed by some people some of the time and gleefully ignoring other crimes committed by other people at other times. So like in general, when you hear someone who's tough on crime and law and order, what they mean is like they want to enforce a lot of very minor crimes against the worst people in our society, and they want to create conditions under which wealthy people can violate the law with virtual impunity. That's what law and order actually has meant in the US political system for the last fifty years.
Speaker 1: Right right, That kind of like what you're talking about sort of remind me another thing you posted about about representing these kids in Flint and just sort of how again another example of like just sort of really going after vulnerable people in society for other people to make a ton of money, where like these kids, and how courts have been set up to sort of keep children from visiting parents that are awaiting trial and things like that. Can you talk a little bit about that case and sort of what's happening there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so all over the country over the last ten years, and I want to say up front, this happened well before the COVID pandemic, but you know, over the last ten years or so, many hundreds and maybe even thousands. It's really hard because it's hard to count, but many hundreds of jails at least have eliminated the ability of children to at their parents. And we started getting complaints about this from our clients all over the country, saying I'm not able to hold my child's hand. We got complaints from children saying I want to look into my mom's eyes or or hug my dad. So we started looking into what's going on, and we started looking at the contracts that these jails are signing. It turned out that starting a little over ten years ago, there was all these contracts with jail, the jails and private equity owned multi billion day.
Speaker 2: We have to have a drink because they're the scourge of this country.
Speaker 4: It's really remarkable. Honestly, when I talked to even other people in private equity, nobody can quite believe what I'm about to tell you. But the two largest jail and prison telecommunications companies are owned by private equity, and they've created a situation where sheriffs get up what is essentially a kickback to ban children from visiting their parents in jail. How does this work? Well, the theory is if you stop kids from having free in person visits with their parents, families will be so desperate that they'll spend more money on phone and video calls into the jail. And of course, these companies negotiate monopoly contracts with each sheriff and each jail to charge exorbitant rates per minute for phone and video calls.
Speaker 2: So the rates are like those nine hundred numbers from the eighties. They're like crazy, the amount that they just gouge people. That's unbelievable.
Speaker 4: And keep in mind that most people who are in jail in the United States are awaiting trial. They're not convicted, they're presumed innocent. And because the United States and the Philippines are the only two countries in the world that use a for profit commercial money bail industry tree to determine who's in jail and who's not, in much of the country, most of the people that we're talking about in these jails are only in jail because they can't pay a certain amount of cash bail to get released. It not because any judge has found them to be dangerous or risk of flight or anything like that. So we already are taking the poorest people in our society, and then we're taking the children of the poorest people in our society, and we're saying to them, we're gonna jail you because you're poor, and then we're gonna prevent your children from visiting you, and prevent you from visiting your mom and your dad for free. And if you want to see them or or talk to them. You're gonna have to pay exorbitant rates to do sort of a really really shitty equivalent of FaceTime or phone call. And you know, it has all these glitches, it freezes, it's not private, it's all surveiled and recorded. So now we've got these huge databases of the faces and voices of hundreds of thousands of children across the country that can be monetized. It can be AI algorithms can be trained on these children's faces and voices that can then be sold. We don't have a good sense of what they're doing with all this, but it's all part of a scheme to kind of profit off of family separation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like in some places too, Like aren't there like sort of like tablets that these companies create, So they're like, yes, if you want to download music, like that's another fee we can collect. Like they've found a way to sort of like monetize sort of all of this information that goes in and out from prisoners.
Speaker 4: And a lot of people don't know that. You know, people have heard of private prisons, but what people don't realize is public jails and prisons everything in them essentially is now privatized for profit. So there's tablets if you want to if you want to watch something or or read an email, you have to pay for stamps to send an email. A lot of places they're not even getting physical mail anymore, so you can't even send your mommy or dad a card or a letter. They get scanned and then and you have to pay to review them on your tablet that they give you food, toilet paper, soap, medical care. You know, you want to see a nurse or a doctor, you've got to pay for it.
Speaker 1: Jesus Christ.
Speaker 4: The entire system here is, you know, they don't give you blankets. It's very very cold. If you want an extra blanket, you've got to pay for it. Essentially, you know, prisons in jails are huge cash cows or local state and county governments and for the companies that are sort of parasitic on these governments. And so we're representing an amazing group of children in Michigan who are trying to make a very simple argument. And that argument is that in our society, under our constitution, and given our history as a civilization and as a country, children have the right to hug their parents. Children have the right to be around their parents. They have the right to hold their hand, they have the right to talk to them, and if the government wants to take away that right, it has to have really good reasons. So maybe there are good reasons and in any particular case, and but the government can't just ban all children from visiting their parents, and so exactly, and that's what these kids. These kids are really courageous and it was a real honor. A couple of weeks ago, I was in court with my colleagues and we were arguing the case against the telecom companies and the sheriff, and the courtroom was just packed with kids, and packed with elderly people too, because you know, another sort of silent thing that happens a lot in our society is that older people who's whose own children are incarcerated as adults, who depend on their children to take care of them in their life, to you know, who are getting who may be relatively lonely, who may need help navigating whether it's how to sign up for health care or how to understand things that are happening. Like there's a lot of older people too who who are really harmed by the inability to communicate with their loved ones and they're jailed for a few months or for years anyway. So there's a lot of older people that showed up too, saying we have this right too. It's not just it's not just children, it's it's families really have the right to communicate with each other, and if you're gonna take away that right, you better have really good reasons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's wild too, Like I was just reading that one of the like one of the Platinum equity one of these private equity firms that is backing another one of these telecoms companies that deal with prisons eventive. It's like that guy who owns that who runs that firm, is the guy who owns the Detroit Pistons. And it's just wild to see, like how people in our society are, like, it's the it's the great owner of our beloved basketball team who's profiting off of this like heinous industry at the moment, it's really it's like dystopia. It's just like so yeah, and it's just so right in front of your face. Yeah yeah, And to the idea that it's like, yeah, we're going to commodify the desire of families that their need to communicate with each other through this already already exploitative system that we've created to extract even more money from people.
Speaker 2: Let's take a quick break and we'll come back. We'll keep talking about this. We'll be right back, and we're back.
Speaker 1: So yeah, oh yeah, So I was just saying, so alec, I know, like there's only like a handful of states, right that have actually done away with this system where it's like, actually, no, we need we can't. This can't be a thing that people are profiting off of. Like I know, I think Minnesota was maybe one of the more recent states to say, like, we're doing away with this system. Is this is kind of I'm imagining that is sort of the at least that is the path towards progress, is for the states to like sort of outlaw this practice within their own prison systems.
Speaker 4: I think there are a few things at different levels. So first of all, people like that owner of the Detroit Pistons should not be profiting off of monetizing human contact. And it's been alarming, honestly to see the silence of the NBA and a lot of the players around this. I'm not sure how many of the players know about it, and that one of the goals here is is to you know, make sure that we're talking about these issues openly and that people should be talking about these issues so that we can make social decisions collectively about what kind of policies we want. And so I think to answer your question about what kind of policies we want, like you know, I think at different levels of generality, these policies could be Yes. Of course, companies shouldn't be profiting off of monopoly priced, exorbitant phone and video calls for people in jail in prison. So there are a lot of cities in particular around the country that are starting to make calls free. There are some state prison systems that are that are making calls free. There's an organization called Worth Rises that is leading a lot of that advocacy and they're really great. But at a deeper level, we have to be asking much more difficult questions about how did this system of incarceration get so big? Right? I mean, this country is putting black people in jail cells at six times the rate of South Africa at the height of apartheid. You know, we're jailing all people in the US like six times more than we did even just fifty years ago. And so when you do that, there's a lot of opportunity to make money, a lot of people's jobs start depending on it. And one of the consequences of this is that every single year, several million kids have a mom or a dad or a parent who are incarcerated. And as a society, we have not reckoned with the incredible effects that has in the short, medium and long term on trauma, on child development, on future crime, on future economic possibilities, etcetera, mental health. And so I think a deeper reform is asking much more profound questions like why are all these families being separated in the first place, Are there really good reasons that these parents are in jail, that these children are being jailed, that these families are being separated, or are there other ways that we can address underlying problems that actually don't involve family separation. So one of our goals with our case is not just eliminating the profit hearing and allowing free visits, et cetera, et cetera, but it's actually thinking about what kinds of government policies are better for families, are better for public health than mass incarceration, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, question we're still wrestling with. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Are we seeing any positive like progressive reforms to policing and criminal justice around the country that you feel kind of encouraged by? I know there were, you know, some initial ideas a Denver program that route nine to one one calls to an unarmed response team, like when the potential offense was not violent. Are you what are you hearing that is actually kind of giving you hope in terms of just reform to this horrific system.
Speaker 4: I don't want to sugarcoat it. We're at a pretty bleak time because both the Democratic Party and Republican Party have embraced this copaganda kind of fear mongering punishment is the answer to everything mantra, and so as a result, the environment for reform has become really poisoned. But I think, without being too pollyannish, I think there are some really incredible things happening that are very exciting to me. At least Number one, you have to understand the incarceration rate has gone down significantly in the last ten years. I think we're at a moment where there are a lot of people that want to start incarcerating more people again. But you know, the incarceration rate has gotten down at least ten percent overall, So that's a couple hundred thousand people that were imprisoned who are not now. There's been some really profound beneficial effects on poor families and black families because of that, and we can't, you know, we shouldn't gloss over that. Even though the rhetoric and the narrative is getting a lot worse, and the Democrats and President Biden are proposing one hundred thousand new police and massive increases in police surveillance and border patrol and the militarization of police, and things are getting relatively bleak. But the movement to reduce the size and power of punishment bureaucracy and the company's profiting off it over the last ten years has had some successes. Another success is we've seen in a number of places reforms to the cash bail system. There are you know, cities like Los Angeles. There are places like Californi, generally Illinois, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York is a great example. Dramatic increases in pre trial release, reduction in the use of cash to determine who's incarcerated. And so we are seeing, like, you know, hundreds of thousands of people who would have been detained because they're poor every year in the United States who are now being released. And that's another thing to be really encouraged by.
Speaker 2: For people who aren't familiar with the cash bail system. I mean, the people are held because they don't have access to money like that, that's straight up. You are jailed because you're poor in a lot of places in the country. And there's been a pushback against that. That is it sounds like we're seeing some results.
Speaker 1: So that's great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and there's a lot of propaganda about it, right, So we know from this is one of the most rigorously studied areas in the criminal law. We know that releasing more people prior to trial actually reduces crime because when you jail people for even a few days or weeks, they lose their jobs, they interrupt their mental health medication, they sometimes lose their kids, they lose their housing, and so when you destabilize someone's life, you actually make them more likely to commit crime. So if you want to reduce crime, you actually need to be reducing the use of pre trial jailing. And so we're seeing that and in some of our cases. For example, our case challenging the misdemeanor money bail system in Houston, Texas has released over one hundred thousand people of the lasts for seven years. And researchers from around the country and Duke University, University of Houston, and other places are studying that University of Pennsylvania and what they're showing is remarkable. Not only has the county saved tens of millions of dollars and the economy has saved hundreds of millions of dollars, but crime is going down as a result of the decision to just stop jailing people in low level cases because they can't pay one hundred and two hundred bucks.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, the thing that I feel like i've heard is catch and release these li role activists DA's are, you know, contributing to the a rise in crime. So that's great to hear. I just wish it was being more widely reported.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like climate SciTE denial. There's a whole industry for decades that was relatively successful, led by the petrochemical industry that so doubt over policies to reduce emissions, and we're seeing the same thing with the bail industry, and police and police unions and punishment bureaucrats generally, because if you dramatically reduce the people in incarcerated pre trial, you actually do something much more profound. You take away a lot of the leverage that the system has to get people to plead guilty, because most of the guilty pleas in this country are caused by people being incarcerated and just desperate to get out right, so they come to court and they're given a deal, like, if you plead guilty today, you won't investigate your case, you won't get a lawyer to fight it. You know, you won't you know, get a trial in front of jurors, but you will get out up today and you will owe us a fine. And this is how the system turns.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: But if you can get people out right away and they can fight their case, a lot of people don't want to plead guilty because it turns out that the police and prosecutors can't prove a large percentage of the cases that they bring, and so the people that actually fight their cases have pretty good results. We're seeing like if you look at Houston what used to be, you know, eighty four percent of people pleading guilty in the median of three days in misdemeanor cases. Now, in those same low level misdemeanor cases, only about a third of people are getting convicted after they're arrested because they're out and they can investigate their cases and it turns out like the cops didn't have strong evidence against them, or the prosecutor can't possibly prosecute all these cases. So I think it's just it's important to understand that there are kind of downstream consequences to things like whether we jail people pre trial or not.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Right. And I guess also, while we're talking about copaganda in that whole the media's role in that. I you had a really interesting thread, Like I said, we'll have to talk about the New York Times, which is one of your favorite topics on Twitter, and one of my favorite things to see you tweet about was Nicholas Christoph's really wacky column about immigration, where it's like it's okay when I did it, but now I'm thinking maybe not so much for other people. And like this is kind of on the heels of like you're seeing articles about like, yeah, democrats agree that something had to happen over at the border. But like, you know what, but the asylum thing maybe not a great not a great moment. This Nicholas christoph like column almost makes it feel like it's like, hey, liberal, it's okay if we're just a little bit racist this time, you know, like it's that's okay, Like have you I mean, like right now, I think it's become such a huge issue talking about immigration, especially with the election coming up in Biden. You know, whether he's moving to the right or just doing what any person in power does to maintain the status quo, that it completely a different debate or observation, But like, how do you see this conversation sort of moving given that you have people like you know, Christoff at the New York Times sort of writing this kind of nonsense that just sort of obscures like what the issues are and like maybe what America's actual role is in changing immigration and how to create a little bit more equity outside of our own borders.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I think Christoff is obviously a very silly person, but I think it's important to you know, you can learn a lot by looking at what kinds of opinions appear in the New York Times. Because the role of the New York Times is to get educated, wealthy, generally liberal minded people who want to think of themselves as well informed and well meaning, to get them to support stuff that is extremely violent and contrary to their values and contrary to evidence a lot of the time, and unjustifiable really, And so there's sort of layers and layers of propaganda that The Times kind of spews that I try to dissect in helpful and practical ways on social media and obviously in the Copaganda book that I'm publishing in a few months. But I think just to start with christophin immigration, this is an area that has been widely studied. There's a really important study that came out last year from Oxford in the UK which showed that when liberal and center left political parties adopt the rhetoric and even the policies of the right wing on immigration, they actually lose votes, they become less popular, they do worse in elections. That's a really profound I think it rings true, obviously, but they've quantified and studied this, and you know, one of the things that this means is when you've got someone like Biden who who is adopting more and more outrageous kind of policies and immigration that are more and more indistinguishable with the far right is advocating. It's very disorienting and confusing for a lot of voters. And for voters who are persuaded by all of that, what the research shows is that they're gonna if they're persuaded by that and they like that, they're going to vote for the real thing, not the political party of the person who they think is approximating that thing. And also a lot of people who would be excited about in organizing for Biden lose the energy and the momentum to fight for him if he is trying to be a bad approximation of the far right. And so this general set of studies, which is not just studying the US but studies center left political parties across Europe, is a really important insight and I think it helps to explain why the Democrats have been so unsuccessful over the last couple of tamescades when they try to play into the underlying mythologies and narratives of the far right. So I think it's a really bad strategy for the Democrats. If you care about Democrats winning, it's a really bad strategy to sort of like validate the myths like immigrants are hurting our you know, depressing our wages and and costing us jobs and all these things.
Speaker 2: Christas say, right, yeah, they're actually good for the economy and less likely to commit crime than other people.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I digress.
Speaker 4: No, I mean, but like that's the thing, Like, by by adopting these policies like Christoph Biden others, they they validate. They make people think that these right wing talking points must be true or else why would these self professed liberals be doing this. And so it not only like makes it harder for people to get excited about voting for Biden and pushes people towards the right, but it also validates the underlying arguments the right wing is making in people's minds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this quote, in particular from your kind of thread on Christoph you said, for many liberals, the destruction wrought by global capitalism, it's an equality, it's starvation, it's ecological degradation, it's war, it's authoritarian corruption, et cetera, is taken as a given. Like that feels right, Like, it feels like a lot of the so called liberal perspectives that I hear on social media or in the mainstream media. They're basically conceding a lot of the shit that like far right people are saying. So like, how are you going to get any enthusiasm or energy behind your messaging when you're basically like, yeo, they what they're saying is basically right, though, like we just like are only pretending it's not. But like, I don't know, It's like I always talk about how they they treat idealism and progressivism as childish essentially, like it feels like their overall strategy.
Speaker 4: I think one of the most powerful forms of propaganda is the type of propaganda that makes us feel like a better world is not possible, right, And that's when when you when you can achieve hopelessness in a population, you can do a lot of things to them. And so the theme underlying a lot of what Christoph has been writing recently, which you know, unfortunately now people send me because I've written these threats, so I've got to read a lot of this.
Speaker 1: Christ just dropped, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: And you know, it's like watching a small child emerge from the wilderness having ever been you know, or having been raised by right wing wolves. He he's just sort of regurgitating random quotations and lines that don't make any sense. And and and I think the core of it all is like the world is really messed up. Global warming is happening, all these other countries have these problems. We're going to omit the part about how, you know, the role the United States is playing and creating those problems. But we're not going to even talk about, like what might a different set of policies be to reduce global inequality, to reduce global violence, to reduce global starvation, to improve the environmental sustainability in other parts of the world. We're don't even talk about any of those things. What we're going to do is we're going to build walls and we're going to protect our castle and everyone who made it in before you know, November seventeenth, you know, two thousand and eight, or you know March twenty seventh, you know, nineteen ninety four. Depending on how how right wing you are, you have different ideas of like what counts as a pure American or what state? Yeah exactly, yeah, you see, now India has and this is not just the United States, right, the sort of right wing fascist ruling party in India has a new set of laws that unless if you're Muslim, unless you you entered India in this sitey of documents showing that you entered prior to a particular day in nineteen seventy one, then you're no longer considered Indian citizen. You're subject to mass detention and deportation, even if you and your parents are all born in India. The United States is doing something similar, and the idea is, you know, we have to close off our borders rather than work together with other people in the world to make the whole world better. And inherent in this is a deep form of not just racism and jingoism, but a really powerful conception that conservatives have as a center of the worldview, and a lot of liberals don't want to acknowledge it as being very central to their own view as well, but this idea that some people's lives are worth more than others, and that is at the core of US foreign policy, and anybody who talks about things like open orders, who talks about things like, you know, addressing the problems of the world holistically, for impoverished people and vulnerable people, for animals and plants the world over, and those people are are ridiculed and pillary does sort of naive dreamers and impractical people. And I think what Christoph is doing here is he's giving a lot of liberal people permission to think and believe those things because someone else who says they're liberal is saying them right, right. It's more appetizing when Christoph uses these words in the New York Times, and it is when Trump says something like lock them up, build the wall, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like kind of the difference like when Trump's in office, like the New York Times is like racists are people too, and then like when Biden's office, When Biden's in office, the New York Times like, look, it's okay if we're just a little racist as a tree, you know what I mean, Because it's always at the end of the day, Yeah, it's just about sort of maintaining that sort of status quo. And I think because like American imperialism is sort of like at the top of that, like why why bother to examine what the actions are of the United States as it relates to like immigration. And I always think, like being someone who grew up in la and like all the handring about like MS thirteen. I'm like, have you gone back a little bit to understand where like why we have MS thirteen. It's because of the US government's intervention and backing, like right wing groups in El Salvador during their civil war. Yet we just want to treat it like as this thing in a vacuum, like, oh my god, these people are coming to our borders who we initially deported to then create the gang there. But yeah, there's just this always not wanting to sort of look at again like what the real solutions might be because they always involve dismantling these power structures that again the people and medium power are meant to uphold. So yeah, it can be very frustrating.
Speaker 2: Well, like I know we're losing you now. I feel like we could talk to you for three hours, but where can people find you? Follow you? Here? More from you.
Speaker 4: I'm on Twitter at quality ALEC. Who knows how much longer I'll be there, So I do have a newsletter called Alex Kopaganda Newsletter. And of course our organization is really amazing. There's over thirty people at the organization doing incredible civil rights work. It's called Civil Rights Core Corps and you can find Civil Rights Core on all the major social media places. You can find us on our website civil rights core dot org. And then at the beginning of next year, I'll be out all the new book called Copaganda, which talks about all this stuff and much more detail. Will probably have some kind of a book tour people can come to in different cities and just deepen the conversation that we have about how the media talks about things like safety and crime and justice. And I'm looking forward to talking with people all over about these important issues because we're entering a period of rising authoritarian and this stuff is more important than ever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, Well, thank you for doing the work that you're doing, and thank you so much for coming on. And yeah, would love to have you back again as soon as you have some free time. We are miles and I are going to take a quick break and then we'll come back to close it out.
Speaker 5: We'll be right back and we're back.
Speaker 2: And yeah, wow, Alec carrit cat sanis Yeah, always super enlightening. Yeah, that had a bunch of other things we wanted to get to that we didn't have time to, but yeah, just that that image of the inside of jails right now, where like you get your iPad and you get your like little media device and then they're just like gouging you for yeah paid.
Speaker 1: I mean it'll be stuff like, oh, you want to listen to us, that's like two dollars and thirty cents, Yeah, to listen to one song. You know, it's just again, but it's also wild how how often we observe these like again, like all of these things we observe and these like these systems of oppression, they always eventually come for us. And even in this version about like nickel and diming prisoners for every part of their existence, like you see, just bleed into other parts other industries where we thought certain things were just like a given to us, right where it's like you know, you know, like the shitty version is like you know, an air travel where it's like, oh, yeah, you're back, we have to charge you for your backpack now, right. It's like fuck, I thought that's part of like the whole thing. But again, they found a way to sort of break down and you know, find all these smaller opportunities to take more and more money from people. And of course they're going to start with the most vulnerable groups first, that being people that are incarcerated. So yeah, it's that's sort of the pattern like continues to repeat all the time. And just like yeah, that that that Nicholas Crystal thing is just so wild too, because like the whole the whole take of that too is sort of like, well I benefited.
Speaker 3: He's like, I wouldn't be here if a family didn't. You know, what's the word I'm looking for, Not endorsed, but like sort of support like our bid to immigrate here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like but it's like, I don't know if I can say that system still works as well, but that's.
Speaker 2: Me and I am better somehow for some reason.
Speaker 1: And I'm from Europe. See my family was from Europe. And if you notice what we're doing, it's mostly people coming from the Global South, and that's the group that we It's okay if we are even more discriminate, discriminatory towards but yeah, I mean the New York Times, going to New York Times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is nice to hear some like slightly positive news about following incarceration rates and you know, so some of the things where we're actually making progress on cash bail and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: YEA, well, and I think his point is I think it was taken well at least for me, like to look at it. How there is still there's an entire alternate media universe built on climate change denial that the same thing would exist for anything about you know, whether whether or not we can improve the sort of human caging system we have now or at least obscure any progress that's been made that would sort of create additional momentum to truly have a reckoning with our caarcial system.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it just takes so much more momentum to have a reckoning than it does to like all the exploitative capitalistic things that is driving shareholder value aka making wealthy people more wealthy. That stuff is the stuff that has the momentum, and even if you kill it, it will pop back up. Like Jason Boorhies, you know, that's the stuff you have to like keep your eye on to make sure it's dead. Like and whereas like good ideas require similarly constant vigilance just to keep alive in this country at least at this point. But with people like him, you know, out there, I don't know, maybe maybe one day there'll be some changes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's that. Like in that I was reading an article about the the you know, the telecoms private equity thing, and one of these people from this guy Paul Wright, who's from the Human Rights Defense Center, like to your point, he describes it about like even when you try and address these things, he said, quote, it's kind of like stepping on a balloon. You squeeze it down in one place and it just bulges up somewhere else. And that's the problem we've got with these companies.
Speaker 2: Problem or solution. It sounds like private equity is making cheddar. That's what's cool. No, it sounds private equity. Uh yeah, that might be bad.
Speaker 1: We'll see.
Speaker 2: We'll continue to keep an eye on it.
Speaker 1: Who's going to be like the first like celeb private equity apologist the first.
Speaker 2: I'm sure like a lot of companies that are.
Speaker 1: But I mean in this sense to try and get in front of it, Like it's like, well, allow me to explain why they're charging money. You're like, what the for real?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I do. I do feel like private equity knows that they're bad guys, which is why like part, like a major part of the strategy is to be hidden behind like fourteen shell companies, you know, yeah, and so they're just like, yeah, nothing to see here. We did get this endorsement from the spaceman Kevin Spacey, but we think we're gonna keep our powder dry on this one.
Speaker 3: Actually yeah, but yeah, I mean it did feel like that thing because even when like the Walt, like the sometimes in like those Red Lobster articles or other articles.
Speaker 1: Like you started to see like CNB seeming like and that's a problem with some of these private equity companies like oh, oh, oh, well, we're going to be a sacrificial lamb, so we can then wash our hands and be like we got rid of the bad apple, the tree remains.
Speaker 2: That's right, the Red Lobster for listeners who haven't listened to every single epis So it was undone by, among other things, but mainly private equity, private equity, Samuel's, j CRWE Toys, r us KB Toys. Many brands that you friendlies suddenly went bankrupt after being you know, five years before being incredibly successful, and household names suddenly go bankrupt. Look and see if they got taken over by private equity, which is essentially an industry of parasitic companies that come in charge the company just just find ways to extract money from consumers, from employers, from the companies they take over. And then when the companies go bankrupt, they're still like it's still.
Speaker 1: Good for them. They still do great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So anyways, I guess I guess that's it. Miles. Where can people find you? Follow you all that good stuff? And is there a work of media that you've been enjoying?
Speaker 1: Find me at Miles of Gray on Twitter and Instagram. Find you there, thank you, thank you. And you can also find Jack and I on the basketball Podcastles and Boostis.
Speaker 3: You can find me talking ninety day fiance on for twenty Day Fiance a tweet. I haven't really been looking at the tweets. I was just mostly her majesty and I were just finishing Bridgerton.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, how do we do?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, it's all right. You know, like there are a lot of times I remember the first couple of like, oh maybe this could be a storyline, this could be but it's it's always just very straightforward, like you know, period era romance. So yeah, if you're a Bridgerton fan, might as well complete it. You might as well complete it. There you go. But oh, man, but cresta woof fucking Cresteda. Man, I don't. I don't know how I feel. I don't know if I feel bad for her. I feel like she should have really got it worse.
Speaker 2: But hey, yeah, man, I'm still trying to make up my mind.
Speaker 1: But cresseda kawper Man, Yeah, victim or or a villain? I think most pressed that name. Yeah, all right.
Speaker 2: You can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore Obrian A couple of things I've been enjoying on Twitter. Have you seen this video of Elon Musk emerging? I think wu tang is for the children retweeted it, what what are you emerging emerging from a chrystalist? No, just emerging at it like being announced and then he comes out and like it's trying to like, uh I I'll link off to it in the footnotes. It is Jane at Jane ost Underscore tweeted he's being called the most juiceless man on earth and it is a wildly earned description of what we're saying. Wait, let me see this now. I got to see it.
Speaker 1: We can't.
Speaker 6: I don't, I can't leave it, hang it, send it where put it. So he emerges, Oh, ship miles away yourself?
Speaker 1: What was that? Flying jump? Jack? Just what is this?
Speaker 7: He's a marionette? Yeah, he's like doing a weird marionette thing. Oh my god, we're fucked. I can't do it that truly, it's so disturbing. Y'all have to watch it for yourselves.
Speaker 2: But yeah, he like comes out he does like a flying jumping like jump what.
Speaker 1: Do you call that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he doesn't jumping jack flash exactly. His shirt lifts up over his belly. Then he lands and like does a sort of like.
Speaker 1: I got no string still whole. That's like, yeah, that's kind of he's doing like a weird puppet rogue puppet dance? Is that because he just got his money? Is that what that?
Speaker 2: I think? I think this is older than that, But I actually, wow, maybe not, maybe maybe it is. Well, maybe he just got his money and he's that is how he's going to touchdown dance on all of their graves.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, someone someone put someone, But he's doing an X with his body still up. Self righteous dumb ass.
Speaker 2: In response to the person making fun of him. Wow, keep it, okay, that's cool.
Speaker 1: Wow, Well he should work on a mobility man, It's all about mobility. I think you could have got those heels further apart, but hey, who am?
Speaker 2: I and Harry Hill tweeted a picture of Welsh's grape Juice like an old Welsh's grape Juice commercial next to the new Welch's vodka transfusion drinks, and they said the Welsh's grape Juice to Welsh's vodka transfusion pipeline is insane, and Puck at puck Meat tweeted, pivoting from grape juice to alcohol is actually the most sane pipeline. It literally happens on its own.
Speaker 1: Good point. I don't know if I like vodka transfusion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know why it needs to be transfused. I don't know why we need like a medical procedure to happen. You could just call it vodka.
Speaker 1: Wait, isn't Isn't that like mostly a medical term? Yeah, they're just trying to be cool like about that, you know what I mean. Yeah, I'm like, you know, it's a vodka transfusion. I'm like, I don't know, dude, I'm thinking blood transfusions.
Speaker 2: Plus, man, I just got a nice transfuse from my drinking Yello transfusion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jesus Woway.
Speaker 2: You can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore. Brian you can find us on Twitter at Daily Zeitgeist, at the Daily Zeitgeist on Instagram. We have Facebook fan page and a website, Daily zegis dot com where we post our episodes and our footnotes where we look off to the information that we talked about in today's episode, The Most Cursed Celebration You've Ever Seen by Elon Musk.
Speaker 1: We will off so be linking off.
Speaker 2: To that as well as a song that we think you might enjoy. Myles, what song do you think people might enjoy?
Speaker 1: There's an artist, Jessica Pratt who's a fantastic singer songwriter. I like, I remember really with her first album, like maybe this was like in twenty twelve, and then I kind of like would hear about her here and there? But then Brian the producer was like, Yo, have you heard the new Jessica Pratt album? And I've peeped it. She's doing like something. I don't know her. This album, as he describes it, which is a good description, it's like feels like like tracks Nancy Sinatra would have made in her heyday but just didn't. And it has that sort of style of production and her like she has just such an interesting voice in the way she uses it is really dope. So this is a track from her new album which is called Here in the Pitch. This track is called better Hate and this one is by Jessica Pratt.
Speaker 2: All right, we will link off to that in the footnotes. The daily guys to the production of iHeart Radio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio is the iHeartRadio Wrap Apple podcast or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. That is gonna do it for us this morning. We're back this afternoon though, to tell you what is trending, and we will talk to you all then. Bye bye