Speaker 1: Native Land Pod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 3: Hey, fam You're about to hear a replay of one of our interviews from our live stream at the Democratic National Convention.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: If you want to listen to or watch the full stream, be sure to check out links in the episode description. You can also find a full list of all the guests we've interviewed. Welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 1: You guys, it's almost prime time and I actually wanted to wait for them to get their headphones on because I am thrilled. I can't tell you how much Julie Chavez Rodriguez is committed to the work.
Speaker 4: She very rarely does press.
Speaker 1: This is Kamala Harris's campaign manager. Well not even just about the looks.
Speaker 4: I didn't see that.
Speaker 1: Yes, you are fabulous, but she's Kamala Harris's campaign manager and she's joined tonight by the principal deputy campaign manager, Quentin Folks.
Speaker 4: They roll toe to toe.
Speaker 1: It always got each other's back and wanted to come join us together. So welcome to you both. Thank you for this making it on this history to night. You got to be thrilled.
Speaker 4: You all got time to sacrifice.
Speaker 3: I acknowledging, yes, we appreciate you guys get here, and Julie, I just wanted to tell you on our podcast your your ears uh maybe burning? Because Angela is so frequently when we say well, what does the campaign need to do or what needs to happen, she says, listen to Julie.
Speaker 4: Listen to Julie.
Speaker 3: So we are really thrilled to have you here tonight. I want to ask you, what would you say to the American people, Uh, some who may feel apathetic, some who may feel well, all this enthusiasm, the race is pretty much one uh some of these mysterious swing voters that people keep talking about. What does this campaign need to push President elect Kamala Harris over the edge?
Speaker 2: Well, I love that you call her president elect Kamala Harris because look, we believe that we have a strategy and our pathway to victory to win in November, and we are very excited, but we also know that it's going to be a close election. We are not taking anything for granted, any voter for granted. Fortunately, you know, Quentin and I have built an incredible organization in our battleground states. We've been able to raise the resources that we need to invest in organizing and getting on the doors doing you know what we say, focusing on the fundamentals, right canvassing, phone banks, text banks, doing everything that we can to be able to reach our voters. In addition to the incredible paid media campaign that Quintin is helping to lead that is speaking directly to our voters, speaking directly to Black voters, Latino voters, young voters, women voters. That's who we need to reach and draw out in the next seventy four days of this election. And the enthusiasm is incredible, but we have to turn that into real action and votes in November.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 3: The granddaughter, by the way, itsay's our job is so appreciate you, Quentin, thank you for being here.
Speaker 4: Thank you guys having me.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 5: Can I go directly to a question for quin I don't know all of your political background, but you're a black man, and so I'd love for you to speak to some of this. I don't know how much of it is rumor how much of it is real, but I know we need every vote, which means we got to speak to everybody. How is the campaign figured in these final days and weeks of the campaign that we again begin to upset some of this narrative that black men are somehow mysteriously not going to be there for Kamala Harris. I think numbers betray that sort of narrative. But is there something a message that you would try to get out there to black men around the role that we may have in these closing days of the election to try to I think bring us all together toward a common goal, and that's electing Kamala Harris President of the United States.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So, I mean my answer to that first and foremost is you got to vote. And I think sometimes it can be hard to do that, especially when you keep getting asked to do it over and over and over again and you don't feel like anything is necessarily changing. And so for me, when it comes to you know, what we have to do, obviously, the vice president has to, you know, draft a vision for this country that includes black men. And I don't think it's just Kamala Harris or Democrats has to do better. It is Democrats because we need their vote, but everybody has to do better when it comes to black men. And I think we got to show it represented in the campaign. I got to think we got to show it represented in the policy proposals and the agenda that she's putting forward. And how we do it. I think we also have to be different from a you know, a standpoint of you know, how we're moving and shaking within the campaign to say it in a different way. And I think that they will recognize that. But I don't like to sort of just say, oh, well, black men have to turn out it just because it's a Democrat. I think black men have to turn out because they see themselves invested in something. It's incredibly important to the Vice President, which is why she has been doing. She hosted these black Men's dinners, she did the Economic Opportunity chore with a CBC chairman, Steve Horsford, and so we have to continue to do that and we have to build off of it. But at the end of the day, we as a campaign have the responsibility of making sure black men see themselves in the vision that Kamala Harrison Tim Walls are putting forward for America. And I think when we do that, they will turn off the vote.
Speaker 5: And so still hugely a part of that strategy is that part of what I missed the message.
Speaker 1: And he was apologizing for some of the stuff that this misinformation and stuff he spread before.
Speaker 4: But since we are talking.
Speaker 1: About tonight, I wanted to drop y'all into the celebration of this moment.
Speaker 4: Julie, this is a long time coming.
Speaker 1: You've been with Kamala since you were a state director in her Senate office.
Speaker 4: That's how I met her is through.
Speaker 1: Julie, and I just want you all, if you can, to preview for us some of what you expect in her remarks tonight.
Speaker 4: How do you think she'll continue to bring everybody together?
Speaker 1: It was miraculous which y'all pulled off that Sunday afternoon, right after Joe Biden said, Kamala's my person. You rally all the delegates, all the people that you needed to within a matter of forty eight hours or a lot less. So talk about how she's going to continue to galvanize this really important base tonight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, thank you for the question, and you know, we are so excited about this evening. I think it's a real opportunity for her to one talk about her bio, her experience, the work that she has done throughout her career and who she's been fighting for day in and day out when she's in the halls of power. I know and I have seen that she has been fighting for us, for our families, for our communities, day in and day out, and then seeing, you know, what the vision is for the future. As you know we've seen throughout the convention, our theme is, you know, for the people, for our future, and that's really what she's going to continue to really vision for all of us to be able to see ourselves. As Quentin said in what that future looks like, in a future that is focused on freedom.
Speaker 4: And it's freedom to.
Speaker 2: Be able to live and retire with dignity. It's freedom to be able to live free from gun violence. It's freedom to make decisions about our own bodies. It's you know, the freedom to be able to afford a house and rent and the American dream that so many folks aspire to. That is the vision that she is going to continue to focus on and invest in and make sure that we have the policy prescriptions in place to get it done.
Speaker 1: She said, freedom enough. I wonder does that mean freedom freedom Beyonce is coming.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 7: Honestly, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Julie said, you're not gonna get me one is Taylor or Beyonce or Taylor and Beyonce because they did?
Speaker 4: How the get me?
Speaker 7: How is she paying for tonight? Because I heard she was their so whole house getting lit before.
Speaker 3: That ridiculous, You did not hear that?
Speaker 4: Fine, Julie said.
Speaker 1: You're not giving me on either one of these questions.
Speaker 2: I think that the president is she is, you know, very focused and understands the significance of the moment right and the opportunity to not just be able to step on the stage and be able to really show her experience and her skills, but to also be able to be you know, the example that so many young women are going to be watching tonight.
Speaker 4: You're not about.
Speaker 7: But y'all are prepared for people to be overly critical, especially being that she hasn't you know, done any interviews over the last few weeks, so people are waiting to hear what she has to say. So everybody's going to be overly critical of her, of her speak.
Speaker 6: But look, I think that what I would say to that is that she's going to meet the moment tonight because she's not trying to.
Speaker 4: Meet the moment there it is right.
Speaker 6: And I and I think I think the difference in between the Kamala Harris that you know, people have overly criticized for for far too long and pointed out every misstep or everything that they thought wrong. That's not who she is anymore. She's not trying to prove anything to anybody she's experienced.
Speaker 1: Would say she's never been there.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I would say she's never been there. I mean, if you knew her before VP, and.
Speaker 4: That's what we all.
Speaker 7: So I had an expectation. So you know, the person you saw the last three and a half years, that's not her.
Speaker 4: She has a comfort in.
Speaker 1: Herself three and a half weeks is definitely who we've been knowing it.
Speaker 4: We're so late.
Speaker 1: She's like allowed me to reintroduce myself. We know you guys can't stay with us forever, but I wish you could. Julie, I'm gonna takes as a stay.
Speaker 4: I'm so excited now you guys need to.
Speaker 5: We wish you all radical success. Radical success means our success in the country's success, and beyond that. I have to admit the global stage, the global the world is counting on us to get this right, yes, which means we're counting on y'all to get it right, and y'all accounting all of us to get it right.
Speaker 7: And we thank you if y'all see it before this Pac and on my love till I'm rooting for and you know, I hope she knocks it out the park and then she will.
Speaker 6: We appreciate it.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that well, and I'll just send them with saying, you know, one thing that President Obama used to remind us all is that we are the ones we've been waiting for.
Speaker 4: So time to do this.
Speaker 1: Oh you know what, since we have y'all on one thing, we've been asking everybody tonight, we.
Speaker 5: Can not get a floor pass.
Speaker 4: Anyway.
Speaker 1: The question is who favorite favorite.
Speaker 4: Speech this week? Get it, everybody. It's not even closed.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 2: It was the most powerful and on point and just everything like, yeah, but you wish that she.
Speaker 4: Would have closed instead of do you think that they should have switched? You can answer, thank you for your.
Speaker 5: Time, we need, we appreciate and you.
Speaker 7: Know what, I number one now, I hope after tomorrow's number two, and I hope the VP got the number one Speech of the week after the next.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you, She appreciate you, thanks for listening to you guys. Please please please remember to rate, review, subscribe, and tune into our regular episode on Thursdays. We Welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 1: Native Lampard is a production of iHeart Radio in partnership with Reason Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.