Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff you Should Know, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey, and welcome to the podcast. I'm Josh, and there's Chuck and Ben's here too, sitting in for Jerry, the illustrious Ben, who's doing his thing really well. That makes the stuff you should know.
Speaker 1: Hey just said the listeners know. I finally met Ben in person. Oh yeah, was there a hand offs, Georgia? Oh yeah, no, there wasn't a handoff. But I went to that Rim tribute show in Athens and Ben lives in Athens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so tell me about that show. Didn't like Michael Shannon Reunite Rim somehow.
Speaker 1: Well, Michael Shannon and Jason Narducci got together a band to play some Rim tribute shows, basically playing all of Murmur and Chronic Town and then like another fifteen early Deepish cuts Oka and in Athens as happens at the forty watt and Athens. When there's Rim things like that, the boys tend to come out. And that night all of them came out, wow, and shared a stage for the first time, and like you know, they said seventeen years, but it feels like more than that. But yeah, it was great.
Speaker 2: Boy, that was something, huh, because forty one is not.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: It's a tiny black box for everybody who's never been there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a couple hundred people maybe, but it was. You know, all of them perform, like you know, Peter Buck shows up a lot and performs. Bill Barry is starting to come out and perform a little bit every now and then. Mike Mills, if you start singing an Ariam song in your backyard, he'll probably pop out from behind a tree and ask if you want to back up? Right, But Stipe never performs. So when he jumped up, the place is just vibrating and I was like, it's happening, It's happening. But he didn't perform. He just was very sweet and said thank you, and they all kind of congregated for a minute and that was it.
Speaker 2: Oh but he didn't perform. That's crazy.
Speaker 1: No, he didn't sing. I think everyone was just like, it's finally gonna happen. He said, nope, no, but I get it. But it was a great night and met old Ben.
Speaker 2: That's awesome, man, that's a heck of a story. Yeah, and it's a great way to kick off our Lama episode. Frankly, if you ask me.
Speaker 1: And I agree, I think, and you know what, I will agree because when I was very very briefly in abandoned college, I don't know who had it, but someone in the band knew a friend with a lama farm. Wow, who knew that was coming? So when we would go out to play in this big barn, we would drive through the lamas.
Speaker 2: That makes sense because somebody out in Georgia having a lama farm is so nineties. That is such a nineties thing to do.
Speaker 3: You know, totally yeah.
Speaker 2: And it's funny because there was an attempt to introduce lamas to the United States well before the nineties and even the eighties when they kind of became a thing for the first time in the US. All the way back in nineteen fourteen, the mayor of Buenos Aires tried to give Secretary of State William Jennings Bryan the gift of a llama, and that's when they would have entered the US the first time, but it turned out that that particular lama had foot and mouth disease, so it wasn't allowed in well.
Speaker 1: And it's also interesting because lama's they're back in forth and thiss with North America is interesting because they originated in North America on the Central Plains like forty million years ago, and then about three million years ago they dispersed to South America. They were like, we're heading south, not for the winner, but perhaps.
Speaker 2: Forever permanent vacation like Aerosmith.
Speaker 1: Exactly that the boy music wrestler is flying all over the place. And at the end of the last Ice Age, the Camelids, which we'll see they're part of the Kamelid family, they went extinct in North America even though that's where they started.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you just kind of touched on something that I think is maybe the fact of the podcast. Lamas are members of the camel In family. They share a common ancestor with camels themselves. Hence camels originated in North America. Just mind blowing to me. Like, take that Central Eurasian steps.
Speaker 1: Now, were there actual camels here?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I believe, Yes, I looked it up and I can't remember exactly, so I'm sure I'm getting it dead wrong. But I believe camels themselves did evolve here in North America and crossed over into Eurasia through the Bearing Land Strait. Same with horses. Wow, yeah, I know, so USA, right. But also Mexico and Canada.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sure, we were USA back then, right, exactly. They were domesticated. They're actually one of the oldest domesticated animals in history, the history of animals. They're in the Andean Highlands of Peru between four and five thousand years ago they were domesticated, and then back in the United States they were redomesticated, and that's obviously the only way they exist in the US now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it was a little confusing to me, and I went and hashed out. Lamas have never existed in the wild. Llama like animals and species that are related to lamas, like the guanacos. Guanacos, they're wild and if you look up a guanaco, it looks like a wild lama. But lamas were domesticated from the outset. They were bred from guanacos, so they never existed in the wild and they still don't, which I find fascinating. They were bread out of whole cloth. Is as a domesticated animal. It was never not domesticated. Isn't they cool?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's super cool. And they're specifically bred because they're a beast of burden.
Speaker 2: You know, like the rolling Stones.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, another music graft.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna keep them coming, okay.
Speaker 1: You totally should, okay, and we'll talk about their you know, their beast of burdenness and how it's okay as far as that goes. But they also provided meat, obviously to herdsman. They could make candles out of their tallow their clothing, although it's not quite like it's not as effective, I guess as alpaca wool. They're still shorn, and we'll talk about that as well. And you know, their hides and things like that, they're they're poo poo. They could use for fuel. They were a very useful animal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, super useful. The only large animal domesticated in the ancient Americas. And they definitely came in handy. They were put to good use and they were, like we said, they were never a wild animal. They were always bread. So humans always always had a hand in how lamas were and the lamas that are around today. Again, they were bred from guanacos. Yeah, guanacos, right, that's how you'd say that, right.
Speaker 1: It's got to be or guanaco I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: Right, but they are. Some people say that these are separate guanacos and lamas are separate. Other people say, no, they're both. They're both members of the subspecies Llama glama. They're great, right, And then collectively, lamas, guanacos, vicunas, and alpacas are collectively known as lamboids, not to be confused with graboids. And that they're still related to camels because they're all originally camelids. There's a lot of differences between them, especially with body shape or body morphology, but as we'll see, they also share a lot of characteristics with camels. Still, camels are from the Americas, by the.
Speaker 1: Way, totally, But they don't have that hump.
Speaker 2: That's one. They're much smaller.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're smaller. They're a little more slender. They do have long legs, they got the long necks, they got those cute little short waggy tails. Yes, smaller heads. If you look at their face, they have a split upper lip and big pointy ears, and they smile. I feel like we do. Maybe we're, you know, have a predisposition to highlight animals who smile at us.
Speaker 2: Sure, I feel like we've done that a lot that Really, hijags are brainwiring.
Speaker 1: Oh totally, But you look up Lama smile and you're going to see some pretty cute stuff.
Speaker 2: Yes, they also have a panoramic vision because their eyes are on the sides of their head, so they can see predators from coming a mile away. And what's something interesting about lamas that I didn't know about is they are naturally aggressive toward predators. They don't shy away. If they see like a fox or a coyote or something, they go after it and they chase it off, which is pretty cool. As we'll see, it's very useful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nice defense, although I took that their main defense is like to charge it something like that. But it's sort of a lot of bluster because they don't have a lot of defense.
Speaker 2: No, it is bluster. But they also have a lot of size on like any coyote or any flock. Certainly, I didn't realize how big they can get. They a llama gets about four feet at the shoulder, pretty tall. It's one point two meters and males can weigh between three hundred and four hundred pounds, which is one hundred and thirty five tow one hundred and eighty kilograms. That's a hefty, husky little boy there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, females can weigh between two thirty and three point fifty. And I saw a video of a guy who's llama busted out on his farm and went after the dog, and it was funny. He wasn't harming the dog, but he was chasing this dog. And they're pretty fast. They're way faster than I thought. They can hit a max speed of forty miles an hour. That's insane, which is just yeah. I mean, I've seen them run, but I didn't think it was that fast. It's kind of like when a camel runs. I think it's a little deceiving how fast they are because of their big lopie long legs right right, It doesn't have that intensity of a horse gallop, right, but it helps them run at a predator or most importantly, run away from a predator.
Speaker 2: I mean, forty miles an hour is really really fast. That's like road runner fast. Yeah, but imagine the road runner with a furry coat and a big old smile while he's running forty miles an hour.
Speaker 1: What's going on with those feet too?
Speaker 2: So I say we talk about the feet and use it as a cliffhanger to take a break, and then come back and talk about how those feet come in handy. How about that?
Speaker 1: Wowie wow.
Speaker 2: So remember I said that they share a lot in common still with camels, both of them, neither one of them are hooved animals. Camels have two toasts, and so do lamas. Camels have toenails in the front, but they don't use those for walking on the bottom of the feet of Llamas and camels are soft pads, leathery and soft that are not hoofs, which means that when they're walking on like rocks and mountains and stuff like that, they can actually kind of grip those rocks with their feet. And they're split two toes, which makes them very surefooted, which again made them very useful in the andies, which again leads us to a message.
Speaker 3: Break all right, we'll be right back, so Chuck.
Speaker 2: I think we kind of started to set it up pretty nicely. Lamas are surefooted, to.
Speaker 1: Say the least, that's right, one of the benefits of being unhooved or maybe even anti hoof I've never talked to Alama.
Speaker 2: They may got no problem with hoofed and they're fine with them.
Speaker 1: All right, So they're not but that that, like you said, that makes them very surefooted. But it Also, it doesn't tear up the side of a mountain like a hoof did does because they got a little give there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so if you want to walk around and not accidentally start off a rock slide, bring a lama instead of like a cow.
Speaker 1: That's a good point I mentioned. We would talk about their whether or not they were good beasts of burden. They're okay. A llama that's about two point fifty can carry a load that's one hundred to one hundred and thirty five pounds, maybe fifteen miles, maybe twenty miles in a day. That's not bad at all. It's no ox or horse. But if you've got a lightish load and you're going, you know, not the furthest distance, then you can do a lot worse than a lama.
Speaker 2: It's true. They couldn't pull, they couldn't carry human, They couldn't pull a machine. And I saw it. It spelled out that even if the Inca who really put the lama to good use had discovered the wheel, the lama still wouldn't have been able to be attached to anything bigger than probably like a wheelbarrow sized type thing. They just don't have that strength. But they are good pack animals, and that they can carry a lot of weight, just not like human weight. So if you have a ton of stuff, say you're mining silver pre Columbian contact, you got a silver mine set up of Potosi, you need a lot of lamas. And apparently there was a Spanish observer didn't catch their name, who visited Potosi, which is a really important silver mine and what's now Bolivia, and found that the Inca were employing what they guessed to be about three hundred thousand lamas. Yeah, transporting the silver ore from the mind to be refined.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that's a lot of lamas. And again, if each one of those can carry over one hundred pounds, then they're moving some silver for sure.
Speaker 2: Sure, and it probably goes without saying, but you could also delight your child as long as your child's under one hundred pounds and let them ride the lama too. They could have done that.
Speaker 1: Sure, I'm sure there was an Incan birthday party at some point where a kid rode a lama.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: They're also you know, as far as being up there in the high dryness, they have a very high thirst tolerance, which is super handy. Obviously, has a lot to do with their camel camelness. They have a lot of endurance. They can eat a lot of different kinds of shrubbery, which is great, and their blood has a really unusually high amount of hemoglobin, and as we all know, that protein is going to carry oxygen from the lungs throughout your body. So that's an animal that's basically built to survive a high elevation where it's dry and where there's lots of you know, sort of dry grasses and shrubs to eat.
Speaker 2: So as animals themselves, like you know, without the human touch of being used as pack animals. Just if you have some lamas hanging out with one another, I can't believe how I just put that. They are gregarious, which means they need social like social groups. Like you don't really want to have just a single lama, or I even saw it, just a couple of lamas. You want to have a handful because they have specific ways of living. And typically a lama family group will have a single male and a handful of females and then whatever offspring were born from those by those females that year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, And you'll see why in a minute. If you are the head of a family. If you're the male leading that group, you're going to be pretty territorial. You're going to defend your family. If a competing male comes in there that doesn't have a family, that's like, hey, I might like to take yours, they will be pretty aggressive toward that, even though they're not super aggressive animals. Drive them out of there and say go back to your bachelor pad. And by bachelor pad, we mean the group of males that don't have families, that all just seemingly hang out together and play cards.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's another thing too that is really just loving about lamas. They actually will adopt and protect other species of animals.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: Remember how I said they're naturally aggressive toward predators. They'll actually defend other kinds of animals that they consider part of their group on say, like a farmer ranch from predators.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I saw that they would adopt sheep, and I wonder, I mean, they'll probably do this with all the animals, but I wonder if it's because the sheep, you know, in the face at least, and there are some similarities there. I think that or.
Speaker 2: The llamas are familiar with the whole ba ram you message that allows you either the sheep family.
Speaker 1: Or maybe it was particularly you know, interested male lama who saw that sheep and was like, hey, shawty, you want to join our family.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for some reason, I'm disturbed by that.
Speaker 1: You probably should be. They communicate with each other mainly through a body language. Their posture can kind of tell you a lot. Their ears apparently are going to indicate their mood. They don't make a lot of noise. Lamas are pretty quiet if you have a lama farm, but they will like vocalize if their predators around. And little mummies and babies can hum at one another like back and forth, kind of sing to each other. And it's very sweet.
Speaker 2: Did you watch that YouTube I sent you?
Speaker 1: Oh, you know I did, so.
Speaker 2: There's a YouTube. I can't remember the exact name, but just look up llama hum I think it'll come up. But there's a baby lama drinking from a bottle and the mom's standing by watching and the baby's just humming while it's drinking. The mom hums back a little bit. It's really really sweet.
Speaker 1: It's pretty great, and they are gentle for the most part, but they are a little bit stubborn. Too, because if you put too much weight on them, if you're not treating them right, then they're they're just like, I'm just gonna have a sit in. Basically, they won't budge, they won't move, they will spit at you, they might hiss or kick at you. Yeah, and they're just like no, no, no, no, that's not lamas. Don't play that game, homie.
Speaker 2: All that behavior is shared in common with camels too. Camels are yeah, for sure. Also, one other thing about the vocalizations when they when you said when they warn of predators. I look that up too, and it sounds like a fork being scraped across a metal plate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's pretty aggressively annoying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what it is. It doesn't scare them off, it just annoys them away.
Speaker 1: They are like fine, geez.
Speaker 2: So we said that the family groups consist of the offspring that were born that year. That's because the young, the little babies get to hang out with the moms who are very attentive of them for that first year, and then after that the dominant male chases the baby off after its first birthday. For a couple of reasons. It makes sense. So number one, if it's a boy, it doesn't want to have to have to fight over the females with the boy. But if it's a girl, it doesn't want to have a girl around that it might mate with and kind of taper the gene pool a little bit. So it makes sense biologically and genetically for the dominant male just chase off female and male young.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally. They have a gestation period about eleven months. They only have one little baby at a time, and the male has you know, those multi they have a little hairm around them. Because they're polygynous, they will mate with all the females in their family that will accept that and they release. It's an induced ovulation, so once they they do that thing, they're going to release an egg within about a day or a day and a half after mating.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I'm just withholding any jokes. So did you say that they just state for eleven months? Yeah, okay, and their offspringer called Korea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there they're like any smallish, long legged mammal, a little eighteen to twenty pound lama standing for the first time within that first hour is just something that everyone just needs to make part of their life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. And after that first hour that they stand. They can expect to live about fifteen years from that moment on average, as far as as far as lifespan is concerned.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not bad.
Speaker 2: Speaking of a little baby Lama's being born. There's a movie I watched recently, another a twenty four knock it out of the park movie called Lamb Have you seen?
Speaker 1: I haven't seen it. I think I know the one with the the what's her name rumy? Yeah, yeah, yeah, what's her last name?
Speaker 2: I want to say a piece, but it's.
Speaker 1: I think it's ra piece rap piece, that's right. I'm not sure that's how you pronounce it. But I haven't seen it. But there's almost no way to talk about it without spoiling it, right.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to, but I'm just gonna say I'm going to encourage you to please see it as soon as possible. It's so good. And I started to watch it in subtitles, and then I realized they weren't talking that much, and when they were talking, it was kind of distracting from the visuals, which are just lovely. So I actually watched most of the movie in Icelandic and you can just tell from you can tell from the conversations in the context generally what they're talking about. Oh, that's funny enough that I don't feel like I missed anything from the movie. I probably missed some very subtle things here or there, but I got the broad strokes for sure. But I think I'll probably go back and watch it with the subtitles to see what I missed. But however, you watch it, just watch it. It's so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was on my list and I kind of forgot about it. I know what the deal is. I just hope it's not a case where I'm talking about a part and you're like, yeah, that's when blank happens, and I'm like, no, no, no, that's not at all what happens. You weren't reading the subtitles, right, It's actually far more disturbing and sad.
Speaker 2: It's possible it is an A twenty four movie. Yeah, So I just wanted to shout out LAMB because it was good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't wait.
Speaker 2: Should we take a second break here now and then come back and talk about how valuable Lama Fleece has been.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's do that, and we'll talk about that Lama Fleece right after this. All right, Well, quickly before we talk about lamba fleece. I I kind of forgot until I started researching this that there was a there's a book series for kids called Lama Lama. Okay, And boy, oh boy, did I have to read a lot of Lama Lama for those first few years. Yeah, I totally forgot about it. But now I'm like, oh my god, Ruby had like I feel like twenty of those Lama Lama books.
Speaker 2: Is it like about a lama that solves mysteries.
Speaker 1: No, it didn't solve mysteries, And I'm trying to remember the thrust of it. I think it's just about a lama that's like always getting in trouble and stuff. Oh yeah, that kind of lama, like every children's book. Sure, But we were going to talk about fleece. Their fleece is pretty good. It's they get shared about every two years. They don't produce the most fleece in the world. You get about six and a half to seven and a half pounds of fiber every two years. And like I said, it's not like that, like that wool of the alpaca that makes for such a wonderful, warm experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's also like Kashmir, which everybody knows it's the gold standard for soft woolen fleece, right, But I was reading an article by a historian named Emily Wakid Walkld sorry wak l i d from Boise State, who wrote a piece on the conversation about lamas in the natural History of Lamas, and apparently one of the things that the Inca used to do was bury lamas sacrificially and ritually on land that they were claiming as their own. They're like, we're the ones with the lamas, because I don't know if we said this or not. They were never exported outside of the Incan Empire until after the Spanish came, so the Inca had like a lock on the lama. So they would bury lamas, mummify them, and bury them on land that they were claiming as part of their territory and sod like A thousand years later, archaeologists and anthropologists came along and dug these lama up, and what they found is that these incredibly well lamas actually used to have fleece that was like on par with Kashmir, and that it just got lost over time as the Spanish came along and were like we have Kashmir, We're just gonna eat these lama instead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's and it's crazy. And I guess just the reason they didn't remain that way is because they they left the area and went somewhere else.
Speaker 2: No, they were no longer bread so selectively for their fleece. They were more to be meat bearing.
Speaker 1: I gotcha. Well, I know that while they were meat bearing for the incas that they were highly revered. It wasn't just like, hey, we're going to raise and kill this animal. They were very much revered in their sort of cultural and spiritual beliefs. And while they did sacrifice them along with alpacas, they were you know, they ate the meat at big like important community celebrations. They would do it to honor the gods as specifically the gods I think.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they would sacrifice and bury them along with like jewelry and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So they also today you can see llamas dressed up in like pretty ribbons and hats, little cute little hats in like parades in areas like Bolivia, and they still it's just been carried down over the generations. They're still very traditionally revered, right, there's an explanation that apparently some kinds of llama herders or lama farmers in the Andes still consider lamas basically a conduit to the spirits of the mountains, the wamani is what they're called, and that the lama don't actually belong to these humans. They're just kind of tending the lama. They're taking care of the lama, and so they engage in all these rituals, which on their face sound really bizarre, like marrying lamas, right.
Speaker 1: Oh man, it's so cute, it is.
Speaker 2: So they will take lamas and they'll be like, you're gonna marry esther over here, right, Fred, and so Fred and Esther are made to get married, and I guess they lay down in a marriage bet or something like that. And all this sounds like so weird, and like, of course it's just spiritual and mystical. This kind of has this just bizarre cast to it. But and I love it when this happens, when like a custom turns out to have like a practical reason behind it. The Lamas that go along with this are like, yeah, I'm gonna lay down on this marriage. But with esther, this is fun, right, they prove themselves to be more docile. So those are the ones who are less likely to be slaughtered for meat or oil or tallow for candles. They're gonna be kept around and they're gonna breed more and more so that the lamas in this flock become more and more docile generation to generation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, amazing, And I guess that's why we have the sort of sweet, smiley, gregarious friends that we have now.
Speaker 2: Right exactly, You would not of wanted to meet a lama from five thousand years ago, No, you'd black your eye.
Speaker 1: Big trouble.
Speaker 2: Yeah. One more thing about the wool and the flee slow Chuck is like, while it is much coarser, although surprisingly light, apparently the hairs themselves are hollow. They're working on getting it back to something akin to Kashmir. It's just going to take a very long time. But they've kind of gone back to the traditional caregiving that they had pre Spanish.
Speaker 3: Awesome.
Speaker 1: What is kashmir even? Isn't it some kind of goat? It's a goat okay, yeah, but like a special goat right.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, it has Kashmir. It's pretty special and expense. That's an expensive goat.
Speaker 1: But what I mean is there's not just any old goat has Kashmir.
Speaker 2: Right, No, I don't know the kind of goat. It might be a Kashmir goat. It probably isn't. I will look it up while you talk about that.
Speaker 1: Okay, sure, because mo to the goats, ie Pad, I love them. But their hair feels like it's a horse brush or something.
Speaker 2: Right, and they their eyes make them look like emissaries of Satan himself. Oh, it's true that side side waist slit eye is very very evil looking.
Speaker 1: Did you change or did you uh? Did you think that before the Witch movie? Or did you even see that?
Speaker 2: The what movie?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: The Witch?
Speaker 1: The Witch?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I've always thought that.
Speaker 1: Okay, for sure, I certainly reinforced it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it knew the goat the goat population, any favors with me?
Speaker 1: No, cowb was the name of that guy. He had a great name in the movie.
Speaker 2: I can't remember the dad.
Speaker 1: No the goat. Oh, like it was like something something like ugly Samd, but it wasn't ugly.
Speaker 2: SAand it was like black Billy or.
Speaker 1: Something evil black evil bart uh uh blue Beard.
Speaker 3: No, that's not it.
Speaker 1: And I know people are screaming at their black filler. Black Philip was that.
Speaker 2: Black Philip was it. And in a double whammie of quick research, the Kashmir goat is called the Kashmir goat. Oh of course, And it just so turns out that black Philip was a Kashmir goat.
Speaker 1: Well look at this, it's all come in full circle.
Speaker 2: That last part was a lie. Oh Black Philip isn't He was not a Kashmir goat.
Speaker 1: Now, Oh jeez man, that was a weird thing to trick me over.
Speaker 2: He just got pummeled all over the place.
Speaker 1: Huh, I did, all right. So let's move on then, because this, to me, we kind of saved the best for last. As far as you know, lama's are great. We love them. They smile, they spit, they'll carry some stuff for you. You can go Visimita and pet those long necks, for sure, and they're wonderful. But they are some of the most valuable research animals around and research animals that you can take very good care of, and because all they need are just like small samples of their blood for this stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And the reason why is because they're after lama antibodies, just like we have antibodies that attack or they tag, they destroy, they say, hey, go get this virus or this bacteria cell over here. Antibodies fight foreign invaders in your body while being mammals and being alive. Llamas have the same thing. They have antibodies too, but there's a very specific apparently llamas and sharks, and I can't remember. There might have been something else that has these very specific antibodies that are way tinier, way simpler, and way more stable than the super fruity, high falutant complex antibodies that we produce, and that makes them extraordinarily valuable because they can target viruses and diseases that human antibodies can't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the camels was the other one.
Speaker 2: Oh, no surprise, But sharks that just kind of came out of nowhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you know what, I'm pretty sure we'd mentioned that at some point in an episode.
Speaker 2: I remember the horseshoe crab blood used to detect some like it used in some medical tests, but I don't know.
Speaker 1: She may have been one of our ill advised videos from the old days. I'm not sure, but yeah, the lamas, they have the antibodies that are formed in only two long chains as opposed to the four chain antibodies that most mammals have. And the structure has really paid dividends in a lot of ways, and one of the biggest ones has been to neutralize specifically HIV and specifically all sixty HIV strains that they've tested. Those lamas have antibodies that can work together and just neutralize that stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and here's why the antibodies are smaller. They're called well, actually that I've seen it both ways, but I think the antibodies that scientists create based on lama antibodies are called nanobodies because they're very very small. Well, being small, they can connect to receptor sites on viruses that have very very small receptors. And humans have these large, clumsy antibodies that just kind of slap around on the outside of the virus cell and don't do anything. They can't attach to it, they can't attack it, they can't keep it from connecting with the cell. The Lama antibodies can and HIV happens to be one of those viruses with the very tiny receptor sites that a LAMA antibody just goes up to and says, you're with me now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. Also, with potentially COVID nineteen. It is similar to HIV in the way that the nanobodies from the LAMA can bind super tightly to that CoV two virus. Yeah, and you know, you may be able to think a LAMA one day for COVID progress.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. I think they've already found because COVID is like SARS, that's right. It's also closely related to MYRS. I think they found that that can be used for that as well. Well. They also, it's so weird, they've also figured out how to use these LAMA antibodies as biological warfare detectors too, because they don't just work on viruses, they work on bacteria as well and other biological foreign invaders.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's remarkable. So scientists for a while now have been working on devices. They're biosensors, so they're you know, obviously part biological that can detect like the very first hints of something bad going down biologically, which is what you want. You want super early detection. And these sensors are made up of antibodies, and you know, in the past they were human cloned antibodies called immunoglobin G so I little G, big g and that's what they use. So the idea is that you know, somebody would launch like a cholera bomb or a smallpox bomb or something like that. That'd be so bad, it would be really really bad, and all of a sudden, you have this biosensor that can immediately detect that. And the Lama biosensors work way better than the other ones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the human ones work in concept and I believe like in actuality too, but they're so fragile because human antibodies are fragile because they're complex, because they have like heavy chains connected to light chains. They're just really fragile. They don't hold up well in harsh environments. They just totally fall apart at one hundred and fifty degrees sixty five degrees celsius or more.
Speaker 1: They're expensive.
Speaker 2: They are very expensive to reproduce because again they're super complicated and all of the stuff that Lama antibodies are not compared to human antibodies make it that much more valuable and precious in applications like this because they're simpler, they are sturdier, and they are hardier too. They can survive in much harsher environments. So it's like we figured out this concept of using antibodies to detect biological warfare in the air the moment it's launched. But we've replaced these kind of shoddy antibodies, the human antibodies, with much sturdier, more reliable antibodies, so we actually can do this now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's amazing and it's you know, you and I are not big fans of animal research or using animals in research like this, but from everything I saw, this was like a pretty decent scenario where these lamas are treated very well. They are in captivity anyway as a species, and they're drawing, you know, just small amounts of blood from these lamas to build this huge library. I think they have more than a billion different they're called. I wouldn't even know how to say that sd abs single domain antibodies basically, And it seems like a win win for.
Speaker 2: Sure, because the there's so good at drawing blood that the llamas don't even stop smiling.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: One other thing I saw, if you ever see a llama with its ears turned forward and maybe even leaning forward a little bit, that llama is curious. It wants to know what's going on. It wants to meet you, It wants to hang out, you.
Speaker 1: Know, if I'm not mistaken. Ruby went to a kid's birthday party where you can like have farm animals on site, and I'm pretty sure there was a lama there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm sure there was. Ever since the eighties, like they became like a common thing in the United States. Yeah, for my thirty fifth birthday party, you mey had a petting zoo including a lama there.
Speaker 1: I was there. My friend, did you ride the horse? I didn't ride the horse, but I ate some. I mean, if I may reveal your your catered food, is that okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You guys had McDonald's and I just remember humongous trays of stacked cheeseburgers and trays of French fries and it was a great, great party.
Speaker 2: You forgot the Taco Bell tacos on another tray.
Speaker 1: Oh, I don't know. I don't even know if I saw this.
Speaker 2: Yeh, there was McDonald's cheeseburgers and Taco Bell tacos and we even borrowed the trays. We asked them if we could borrow some trays, and we actually took them back after the party.
Speaker 1: That seemed like one hundred years ago.
Speaker 2: It was maybe one hundred and fifty man so long ago.
Speaker 1: It's good time.
Speaker 2: So yep, good times had by all. We just had one all together talking about Lamas. If you want to know more about Lamas and go out and meet one. And since I said that it's time for listener.
Speaker 1: Mail instead of listener mail, we're going to take this opportunity to reinforce that we are going out on tour this year.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, and this is it.
Speaker 1: These are all the cities we're doing for the year. We rarely have them all locked in this early, so we're pretty but May twenty ninth, thirtieth, and thirty first we'll be in Medford, mass outside of Boston, then down to DC and then back up to New York City finally at town Hall there.
Speaker 2: Right, and then what about August.
Speaker 1: August seventh, eighth, and ninth will be in Chicago, then Minneapolis once again. We're so happy to be back there, and we're super excited to add Indianapolis to our list of cities that we've never been to. Yep, and then what and they're gonna wind it all down in September back in Durham, North Carolina at the Carolina theater there on September.
Speaker 2: Such a lovely places.
Speaker 1: It was great, and then closing it out in Atlanta once again on September seventh. And you can go to our website, go to these venue websites to get tickets, and as a reminder, please make sure you are only at venue websites because a lot of times it'll just say souff, you should know tickets. Oh here, they are one hundred and eighty dollars. That sounds expensive if you ever see tickets more than like I think the highest ever is like sixty bucks or something, maybe sixty.
Speaker 2: Five some places for like front round for face value, like the face bell add like some of those ticket vendors add a bunch of stuff, but like the face value shouldn't be more than that, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So if you see a ticket for more than that, then that means you're you're not on the right website.
Speaker 2: Or if you're required to pay only in cryptocurrency, you might want to go to a different website too.
Speaker 1: But we're super excited. It's a great show and we just we can't wait to see everybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, come on out, everybody, If we may toot our own horns. It is loads of fun for us, and it seems based on how people respond for the audience as well. Yeah, oh yes, you can go to link tree slash sysk, or you can go to stuff you Should Know dot com and there's all of the links and stuff like that too, all the ticket sites and there on sale now, so we'll see everybody for the rest of the year. Huh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and now how do we end the show? I don't even remember.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. If you want to get in touch with this in the meantime, not to ask about parking or anything like that at any of the venues, you can email us at stuff podcast at iHeartRadio dot com. Stuff you Should Know is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: For more podcasts myheart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.