Speaker 1: Wait how Love It is One Take Jay and I need everybody to go check me out right now on Bootleg care Podcast. If you not, I don't know what you got going on.
Speaker 2: Yo, Bootleg Cab podcast. Man, we got a special guest in here. Just dropped this new project Summer in Compton.
Speaker 1: Love is One Take Day and this bitch and we're hanging like tits.
Speaker 2: I'm here hanging like tits.
Speaker 1: Hopefully not too much. Nah, I fuck with the saggy ones, uplifted ones, all.
Speaker 2: The you're you don't discriminate.
Speaker 1: No, no, you never heard that mustard intro?
Speaker 2: Of course, Yeah, that's what that's my ship. I was actually I was gonna ask you about this. That's one of your like, uh, that's like a that's like one of them ones in the club out here bro, like on the West Coast or.
Speaker 1: They messed with that for sure, that's happened every day.
Speaker 2: But yeah, man, you got this new project that just dropped. I wanted to ask you, like, I feel like you've been kind of like one of the faces of the last like five or six years of like la hip hop in terms of just like the new energy that's been happening. I feel like guys like yourself, Rouchie Hazy Chike. But with what's happened with like this Kendrick a moment, I feel like there's a lot more attention being paid to LA artists. Are you feeling that as well?
Speaker 1: Uh? Yeah, I say that just because of the fact he basically can't a poach. It like catapulted us to the top. It ain't really just him because it's the sound for sure me, So yeah, I fuck with that, you know everything. Yeah, I feel like it's just putting more eyes on you feel me the West Coast sound and all that.
Speaker 2: Boom. Yeah, I think too like that. It's helpful that like uh not like us as like a real West Coast bop, you know what I'm say? For sure? What was for you man? This new album? Obviously it's hot as fuck in LA right now? Was that was that kind of like the intention like making the soundtrack for the summer?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, for sure. And when you think of one take, you're gonna automatically think you fear me summertime or you fee me when it's time to party. So yeah, that was really the intentions behind that. Then the name just came from where I'm from. Summer and Compton. Yeah mean, I'm gonna sure you all we come.
Speaker 2: We were just in comptent with the Compton Cowboys, Randy saving those guys. Yeah, I had no idea that that was there. Oh yeah, that should creates like a whole right ranch over there like that, even just that neighborhoods like hell of people with horses over there. Man. Yeah, did you ever go over there as a kid or anything?
Speaker 1: Uh not just specifically go to the ranch, but like on that street. I mean every if everybody know about the you fee me?
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. You got some dope features on the album Shot to the hommy X for Ralphie, the plugs on there, Uh who else who else on the project?
Speaker 1: I got Ralphie and X four, I got Caribou, I got Avy k Or, I got and then I got the one Take homies, oh and John Matt back from the Bay one, take Kwan and want to take ts He got them on a couple of joints on there.
Speaker 2: Yes, you have to. I feel like John Mac a lot more people should be talking about what he's doing out of the bay.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, brogo crazy, y'all have to get one in with him for sure.
Speaker 2: For sure, Is there anybody besides your crew that you're like just a fan of? Like I have to say, five years ago, you were kind of a new up and coming l A guy. Is there anybody that you're just tapped in with us on the come up? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Some people. H It's a dude named wyan Ness Flocko. Y'all gotta tap in with him and ship who else? It's a lot of motherfuckers. Oh, my cousin Streets he coming soon, y'all gotta tap in with that. He just dropped his first visual and single called Bag of Gems. Then we got my other good people's mns Cam. That's my cousin too. He coming to that from Compton to be on the lookout.
Speaker 2: Something about the water and content just produces like the best rappers.
Speaker 1: And both of the people I just name was on the project on the song to Gondo.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, what's your favorite song on the album?
Speaker 1: Uh? I don't know, kind of probably I would say that one, either the Gondo or Torging in the Function because they both like different vibes. You see what I'm saying. The Torging and the Function is a sample to a Snoop Dogg sexual seduction.
Speaker 2: So that's a great song to sample. You know what I'm saying, So, did you turn sex sensual seduction into a fucking no?
Speaker 1: It's not No, it's not no super ratchet. I just think I don't know. It's like it is like a more West Coast beat, but I say it's like a universal beat because of that sample. You see what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Are you? Are you independent? Obviously? Like what's it like clearing the Snoop dog record? You just throw it out there and hope, yeah, that.
Speaker 1: Bitch out there and hope they don't smet have it. It's damn mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like and if it gets big enough that's exactly exact, then you figure it out. Figure it out from there for sure. For sure. That's smart. Man, talk to me man, Like for you, I feel like you have never really necessarily been wrapped up in a lot of like the negative. I feel like we always get negative stereotypes in LA when the artists when it comes to like politics, and because.
Speaker 1: That's how everybody get their promo, they not posting your music for real.
Speaker 2: Right, I feel like though you guys have like I feel like when I think of like yourself and chicken and just your your generation. Like it was more about like the music and like kind of moving together as opposed to shit.
Speaker 1: I just feel like it was a different time type of shit, you feel me? It wasn't a lot of it was like new. It was all new, right, you feel me? So shit changed? Do you feel like?
Speaker 2: I was just talking with MC Magic, who's a Mexican artist from Arizona, and he was talking about just like Mexican hip hop artists in general. He's like, Yo, it sucks because a lot of times the most promo these guys get is they go on podcasts'll say like hell and negative ship and they stir up drama.
Speaker 1: Do you feel you got to think it's clickbait, it's all titles and all that that that'd be the best promo. That just was never my thing. My sugar can go up regardless, right.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like that's the thing that artists kind of depend on nowadays?
Speaker 1: Yeah? For sure. Yeah, And you gotta think a lot of motherfuckers don't really be like that in the boot, so they'd be running out of ship to say you gotta do something. I don't blame you even trying to get your money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like just let's go stir some ship up and get some some real views. Yeah no, that's real man. Uh. How like for you, man, how often are you? Are you just like a studio rat? Are you living in the.
Speaker 1: Studio or you Yeah, I'll be recording myself and ship, so I being that just like every day, but ship at home, I'd be at the studio.
Speaker 2: So I don't know if you had like the little Scarlet at the crib.
Speaker 1: You know, no, I really need that type of setup though. I feel like that'd be way way more easier because you don't got to know, you don't gotta go nowhere type ship.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, blast whole ship is like Blast has the like four hundred dollars studio setup.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's all you really need.
Speaker 2: It's at his house.
Speaker 1: If you got a motherfucker knowing how to make that ship, how.
Speaker 2: You know he's chosen and was recorded on one hundred dollars mic and on a scarlet two channel interface.
Speaker 1: I'm like, damn, yeah, the studio I'm in shit, it's just a room, the mic right there by you. I didn't even know booth.
Speaker 2: Were you always recording yourself as it something you kind of learned how to do over time.
Speaker 1: No, I learned over time, but I've been knew what was going on, but I just said, fuck, it is just because it kind of I don't know, it's just better because I feel like sometimes you feel me, even with the engineers and shit, maybe they get impatient and all that, but when it's just you, you feel me, it's just like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you feel like you can create without.
Speaker 1: Worrying about worrying about nothing.
Speaker 2: Like if yoo, if I want to redo this line, I don't even if subconsciously you think you're bothering the engineer.
Speaker 1: Exactly or some shit like that, you just you feel me, you on your own timing, and I don't know, it's just it's just really real, like kind of like just smooth.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I feel like the one thing artists should always try to do is figure out how to do everything themselves, even if it's just to like a okay degree. Yeah, I mean that way the worst case scenario if you need to hop on photoshop.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I really just learned though from just watching you.
Speaker 2: Know what I'm saying, Like recording yourself that's a big expense. Hell yeah, and then like being as I'm sure for you being independent fully. Now it's like, is you got to handle all of it? You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, yeah, yeah that shit, That shit ain't really nothing though. It's just really the only thing I need is like more promo, bro. All the other shit is like you feel me, But that's it's gonna get handled. Shout out ty Rain should be doing her thing.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say moving independently because you were on what you on a major for a second?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was with Atlantic yeah for two projects.
Speaker 2: So like, what has been the big difference for you now handling shit on your own as opposed to when you were in the Atlantic system.
Speaker 1: I go up more when I'm on my own.
Speaker 2: So you think it was a negative to be on Atlantic, No.
Speaker 1: It's just a slower process you got. I think when I came out, I came off. I came out off of consistency and like you feel me back to back to back to back in your face, and it's good, good content, you know what I'm saying, Good music. So with the label thing is everything just like way slower. The process. You have to get lower.
Speaker 2: You have to get green lights exactly.
Speaker 1: You gotta get stuff clear, and it ain't even like that's what I'm saying. That's why I said it wasn't a bad thing, because it's just the business side, you know what I'm saying. And it's like, uh with the independence ship though, like I'm still on the business shit, Like everybody get paid, from the cover art to the producers getting the splits on a Uh. That's why you ain't never seen no producer come out take this is it? Because everybody get paid?
Speaker 2: Are you dropping through district Kid?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yes. I always tell people like, if you're really independent and you're not cashing on producers, that's the easiest way because you can just splits. You can just cut people in on the record the record.
Speaker 1: And that's working together, you know what I'm saying. For sure, But a lot of people, a lot of artists, because you got to think producers be getting mad. A lot of artists don't even be knowing about that. They just throwing their ship up on there. Because you got to think, I didn't even know about this stroke kid until ship already had millions and millions of streams on soundclouds. So right, you just should just a process.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's easier too, because then like those producers will push the funk out.
Speaker 1: Of like exactly if they're getting paid from it, exactly works out for everybody. Yeah, but some people be different though, Like I had a couple of producers on the thing on the project, they just rather get the h.
Speaker 2: And you just took care of him. There you go. Yeah, problem is some of the producers, Man, be fucking tripping dog.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I didn't get that. You'll be I rather be getting the streaming bread for sure, because it's forever.
Speaker 2: Exactly have you been paying attention at all to what like Russell's doing in the Bay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I fuck with his movement and all that I followed on the ground.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's been doing like if like someone shoots a video or they do like hell cut people in ye'ah.
Speaker 1: Just seen like Juvenile was on the went to his little his backyard function type thing. That shit was hard.
Speaker 2: Did you see Richie Rich from the Bay break his knee on stage there? Nah?
Speaker 1: So Richie Rich th g he really broke his knee for it.
Speaker 2: So yeah, he was jumping up and down, snapped his knee and freestyle the whole time. So he was freestyling on the up knee and he's like, I just snapped my tippy. Look I need help someone get in there. Like the ship was crazy and everyone's just dancing around him and he's like I'm like, no, I'm not lying snapped, but he's rapping the whole time. Like I was like, damn, you gotta go to the pergola. That'shit crazy. He's different for that, Like somebody in Lax should try to do some shit like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would be dope. But sit you just gotta I don't know, you gotta just you gotta find the right location and the right vibe.
Speaker 2: Gotta be gotta be right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you gotta be secured up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's got Yeah, it's got to kind of be like out the way low key.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying, because you gotta think once something get popular and it's close enough for everybody everyone to.
Speaker 2: You almost got to move it every time.
Speaker 1: That'll be see, that'll be a thing if you have working with people and you could just pick up and move. We in this city today, were in that city today, that'd be hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I really feel like like Santa Clarita is the spot because who really wants to drive all the way to Santa Clarita.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a little mission you wanted.
Speaker 2: You gotta you gotta want it to be.
Speaker 1: A mission's going up though, They're gonna go for sure.
Speaker 2: That's it's true. That is true.
Speaker 1: Man, fast, no gas and everything pulling up.
Speaker 2: That's a hell of a number to Santa Clara, Compton to Santa Clarita, that's one hundred and ten dollars at least.
Speaker 1: They coming though, Yeah, for sure, go figure it out.
Speaker 2: Who do you got on your Compton Mount Rushmore man.
Speaker 1: Ship? No, that's gonna crazy. Let me see count around restaurant. I'm included.
Speaker 2: If you'd like to include yourself, I wouldn't say you belong on that, but you know.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go me Okay, I'm gonna go. Yeah, I'm gonna just go out of one. Take yourself.
Speaker 2: This is crazy. This is the city that Kendrick Lamarin, doctor Dre came from. What are we talking about?
Speaker 1: What are we talking about? Elite your crew out of there? All right? All right, So I go Ken Dack, Doctor d Roddy Rich and y G.
Speaker 2: I respect the four. Yeah, I would say that those would probably be my four. I might put the game in that though.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, no, not like yeah, you.
Speaker 2: Probably the game Dre and Kendrick.
Speaker 1: Roddy went Diamond out of the game for sure. For sure, I'm keeping Roddy.
Speaker 2: He's the sick well, he's the fifth man, and I think he's right on the bench just waiting to jump in the game. Hey man, it would be the game of Roddy. But I think YG is solidified.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, but it's just that that But you gotta understand that what you gotta think down to l A like for sure though, But I'm saying just that, well, did you just had to put to put a fifth person in? Because coming coming Diamond out the gate is like over crazy, you see what I'm saying. Sure, I don't give a damn who you is because you gotta think that's like a small box of people, for sure, you know what I'm saying. So yeah, we just had to go five.
Speaker 2: That's a that's a great five. And then obviously you're five, which is just you and your your crew. Yeah, I'm trying to think, is there anyone forgetting I hope not ship not Gorilla Black, Gorilla Black, that guy I heard it bro before this don't called confident. That was pretty Hard. Wait wait wait, wait wait wait, DJ Quick.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, we tripped out.
Speaker 2: God include Quick in that comment. Yeah, honestly, honestly, my four, my four would be Quick, Yg, Doctor Dre, and Kendrick. I would leave the game in Rody off if I had to pick four.
Speaker 1: You just said the game did all this ship.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying I forgot about DJ Quick. Jesus, Honestly, we probably should take Dre off because Dre is more like a too. What you trying to say, no, no, no, Dre's like a producer. Dre's like the architect, so he obviously he built the mountain. There's no Mount Rushmore without him. He's a He's an architect that saw you throw game in there. You got throw game in there, all right?
Speaker 1: We could just rock like that shot. I like that's fair. Yeah. DJ Quick though, big apologies on me, DJ Quick and sugar Free. That's the only people I liked it before, Like it was like the jerking era and shit, like he used to be listening to the ship and I didn't even know what they was talking about.
Speaker 2: Sugar Free has one of the most I always say this, like we just talked about that with Roddy Rax I was like, Yo, there's nobody who's ever sounded like sugar Free, and I don't think anybody ever will.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can't even imitate that.
Speaker 2: Like the way he raps like it's so like it's so in a pocket.
Speaker 1: It's like.
Speaker 2: Good unorthan, it's so insane. Like I just heard he did a song with Roddy racks from the pointing like he was snapping, but he was snapping.
Speaker 1: That's the thing too. Look when I did he was on my album before, a couple two albums, Ago Calmed and Globetrotter, so Bro, I sent them two songs to pick out either one type shit Bro ended up doing both of them. Bitches Bro, When I tell you, he was talking like when I first ever heard sugar Free and thought it was hard. Yes, it's still rapping the same way.
Speaker 2: That's crazy and like he's one of them dudes. The way he raps like you almost like gotta listen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you gotta, you gotta like you gotta you gotta keep playing it back, you gotta keep knowing byang on Cap, I never did that.
Speaker 2: Befreak it on the job at the sperm Bank.
Speaker 1: I never did that before for no body because I catch it like quick, no him, you guys and ship bro, he was he sent the verse back, Bro, I kepveryone in that bitch. He was saying some ship.
Speaker 2: Sugar Free is a fucking legend. I feel like, uh, I don't know. I don't know what it is about sugar Free. For whatever reason, he just don't get like love like nationally when we think about La and the West Coast.
Speaker 1: Does he just doing him?
Speaker 2: Yeah? He's an alien and I think quicks in the same And.
Speaker 1: You gotta think what you what you just asked me to begin in this ship with the drama and all the ship. You don't see she was not doing no click bait ship and all that.
Speaker 2: And so back in the day, he wasn't on that game.
Speaker 1: He was on the pimp and hit exactly I say, doing him.
Speaker 2: Did you meet trug Free?
Speaker 1: Uh? Yeah, I met him one time.
Speaker 2: I met him in Vegas, not when we did this song though, why I lived in Vegas And uh he was at the Planet Hollywood Hotel walking a chick with a leash on her neck like she was a dog.
Speaker 1: And I was like, doing him, bro.
Speaker 2: But I literally was like, I literally was like, this is all I ever hoped to happen if I met sugar Free. This shit real, Like this is exactly how it'd be, Like, you know, it's like this is this is this is the man I listened to as a kid. He has a girl on a leash in the middle of a fucking Vegas casino. This is crazy. It might have been two girls, it was definitely one man. Shout out to sugar Free. Man, shout out to sugar Free. We'll look your new album's out right now, summer in Compton And are you are you gonna are you sitting on a lot of music right now? Are you gonna work this for a while?
Speaker 1: Like nah, I'm gonna I'm gonna drop. We're gonna drop a one take project, Like shit, they probably let this ship breathe for a couple of weeks or something. I got like thousands of unreleased songs. Yeah, like I record every day, thousands, I swear.
Speaker 2: Do you ever go through demoitis where you have a song that's unreleased and it's old to you and you get tired of us. You don't put it out, but it's.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's when you just start previewing it, throw it up on TikTok or something. I feel like that, and you gotta think. You gotta when you're around people, you gotta just play music like unexpectedly and just.
Speaker 2: See what they feel like. Because it might be old to you.
Speaker 1: It's always old to you, but to somebody else's brand new. It's fresh, and some songs is timeless. Like you see what I'm.
Speaker 2: Saying for sure, I mean the good ones are.
Speaker 1: Released exactly there it is. That's why you just throw that bitch on. If they get up and get to doing what they do.
Speaker 2: I mean there it is. One take, Jake, go get the album. Appreciate you sitting down brother?
Speaker 1: Wait how love Summer and comp thing out? Now, go get that boom