Speaker 1: Welcome to the Solid Verbal. I'll that for me. I'm a man, I'm forty. I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy. You want to be happy for day Edith State? Is that? Whoo? Whoom and Dan and tie Welcome back to the Solid River, Boys and girls. My name is ty Hild joining me over there. Beautiful New York City, My man Dandredstein, sir, how are you? It actually is beautiful today, it's been really cold.
Speaker 2: We're recording this and this is actually important for just your own everybody listening and their their presuppositions about what we should be talking about. We're recording this on Sunday the twenty second, so we're going to be recapping and previewing. But if you're listening to this on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and beyond, that's why we are not saying, oh my god, I can't believe Marshall upset UCF or uh one hundred to ninety eight Hawaii b YU in the in the Loha Stadium, in the Sofi Hawaii.
Speaker 1: I can't believe it.
Speaker 2: So that's why we are just doing this opening round, recapping wise and then previewing the games that we are previewing, and ty, I gotta say, are you familiar with dough fermentation? Dough fermentation like pizza dough, how you let it ferment and sit to let the dough grow.
Speaker 1: I am familiar with it to the extent I know it happens, right, and so you let it sit and it grows. You let it sit. I believe that's how yeast works. But my guess is that you know a lot more about this subject than I do.
Speaker 2: No, not really, I would assume I don't, but I have been trying to learn more about it, and I will say after the season ended, I was ready for a little bit of non football time, a lot of arguments about what the postseason should be, and this scenario of Baylor wins, in this scenario of Oregon, I was ready for just a time to exhale. But as the bowl games have begun, not unlike the sugars breaking down to allow carbon dioxide and alcohol to fill up those cells with gas. Boy, it's slowly eating away at me and helping my excitement grow into a brand new feeling of excitement about bull season.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of gas in this opening Stanza here, Dan, I'm not gonna.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of gas this opening statement. But I went into ball season saying, wow, I don't know, it was like four and a half games that are kind of interesting to me. Now I'm just ready for the Gamut tie. I needed that time to intellectually ferment about ball season.
Speaker 1: Give me that Capital One Bowl week baby. Capital One, not a sponsor, should point that out out, But yeah, I am excited for Bowl season. We are going to break down a handful of games. As Dan said, did we want to do the oh my god, Nick Saban retired bit for this show or like, just in case, maybe we should pre record that and just.
Speaker 2: Having realized he couldn't keep up with Josh gadd in the Michigan offense and had to throw in the.
Speaker 1: If it happens between now and when this show drops on Tuesday, yeah, we may want to cover our bases, but that's true. Other than that, thank you for joining us here on the show. We not only are going to recap, but we're going to preview a bunch of other games that we need to get through. So you know the deal by now soliverble dot com slash pick them is where you get to the Bowl. Confidence pooll. Now you can't enter at this point. The picks are locked because the bulls have started. But if you want to get back to check and see how you're doing, to see where you rank relative to the m thirteen hundred other people that are also competing for roback gift cards, you can do so by going to soliverble dot com slash pick them. I saw after this wave of games that I am currently ranked twenty second. Look at you currently ranked twenty second. But I will say that number, that ranking is very inflated because I just went five and four on the first first weekend of Kent State. Did you have the Golden Flashes of Kent State? The Golden Flashes their first win in one hundred years in a bowl game. Did you have that down? Nope, did not have that down.
Speaker 2: Okay, I did not submit my picks. I made my picks, but didn't hit submit until the first game had started. And I loved Buffalo, so I missed out on the points for that one. But I also loved Utah State. So you know, all's well that ends well, I guess let's start.
Speaker 1: On Friday, December twentieth, there were two games Buffalo won by twenty two over Charlotte by a thirty one to nine final. And the game that you were talking about, Kent State fifty one, Utah State forty one. It is Kent State's first bowl victory in one hundred years of being a college football pro You believe.
Speaker 2: That it's ridiculous but amazing. Nonetheless, just like their fourth quarter.
Speaker 1: Incredible fourth quarter, they score twenty five points to secure the victory. Jordan Love, the guy that I know both you and I were pretty focused on, had a good game as well, but just couldn't couldn't do enough.
Speaker 2: Incredible dual threat effort from Dust and Crumb of Kent State. I will not claim to have watched a lot of Kent State football this season, but for them to pourt on late like they did against a Utah State team that took a very clear step back this season amidst the coaching change, very cool, both for history's sake and just for Kent State player's sake. You know, I've become a big proponent of Bowl games are good, even if the matchups aren't great to somebody from ten thousand feet away. Good for Kent State. For what was the Frisco ball, This is the Fristco Bowl.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very cool, the Tropical Smoothie Cafe Frisco Bowl. The other thing here that I wanted to note about this game, and it really is a strike against both of us that we missed this guy all season long? Did you happen to see Utah States leading receiver in this game? I mean I watched the plays. I can't What was it, Isaiah McCoy. Nope, Siah oc Mariner? Oh sorry sorry keys Ken States. Yeah, Mariner Dan. He had one third Mariners and two touchdowns on the day, So good for him. I want to say Ucla had a Mariner recently. All right, anything else to say about these games.
Speaker 2: About the Frisco Ball or just the games in general? Oh, you're about those first Buffalo Charlotte. Cool to see Charlotte make a bowl game. Obviously they did not have the necessarily the defense to hang with Buffalo. Lancelipold obviously has done a very good job at Buffalo. A down year for the Bulls. I like somebody tweeted out that it was some sort of weird knockoff bulls forty nine Buffalo Bulls against the forty nine Ers NFL game, But yes, it was. You know we talked about just briefly dust and Crumb and his dual threat ability. Chris Reynolds had a very nice season doing much of the same, but ultimately it was it was Jared Patterson. I scrubed through this game pretty quickly, and it looked like he had the ball in his hands successfully a lot, so good for Buffalo.
Speaker 1: Then on Saturday the twenty first, we had Washington thirty eight to seven over Boise in the Las Vegas Bowl. Yep. We had app State thirty one to seventeen over UAB in the New Orleans Bowl. We had San Diego State. Did I say it wrong? I think it's just New Orleans, San Diego State forty eight, Central Michigan eleven in the unsponsored New Mexico Bowl. I don't know if San Diego State scored forty eight points total all year. Amazing, amaze. Save the best for last, I guess Florida Atlantic with a big win fifty two to twenty eight over SMU and the Boca Ratone Bowl. Arkansas State wins by eight over FIU in the Chamellea Bowl. And finally it was Liberty twenty three to sixteen over Georgia Southern and their option offense in the Cure Bowl.
Speaker 2: Dan, Yes, I guess we can start with the Power five game of the day. Washington just stomped Boise, who had quarterback issues. They sort of rotated to Hank Boch. My, sorry, it's okay, it's totally good. Defense looked incredible and there were two different Washington teams this year and we saw them comfortably beat BYU who was the one team to beat Boise State before the Vegas Bowl. And Washington ran well, they threw well, and most importantly, they just completely silenced any efforts at offense from Boise. So I suppose I'm happy for Chris Peterson to go out this way against his former team. The Jimmy Lake era now officially begins. Jacob Eason seemed fine. It was not a lot downfield, but it really hasn't been the case all season long. I don't think he threw a pick, right, No, that's that's something with a way he finished his season. It was cool to see. It was cool to see Washington end things comfortably and go eight and five. If you're a fan of the Pac twelve and Boise good Mountain West only okay, and I'm sure missing Zach Hill, their offensive coordinator, and you know the uncertainty at quarterback as the season finished out. Wasn't the best by Washington, the clear better team, the class of the Vegas.
Speaker 1: Bowl, Class of the Vegas Bowl. Yeah, they hold down Boise's offense under three hundred yards. They forced three turnovers in that game.
Speaker 2: May have thrown a few shekels on this too. Actually, oh good for you. I liked Washington going in as well. The surprise to me FAU over SMU in that manner. He saw the clip of Lane Kiffen watching with a couple of I think it was coaches he brought with him to Ole Miss but both Chris Robison, bj Emmons, they just they stomped a SMU killed him.
Speaker 1: They did not. It was that one coming I went.
Speaker 2: I think I went against my points for drive theory because FAU was the clear better defense in this matchup and playing at home, and I think I looked at FAU as an underdog because of the Lane kiff and leaving situation, and I went against all of my tenants, and I screwed up.
Speaker 1: Should have stuck to your guns, should have.
Speaker 2: Stuck to my guns. App State big third quarter, including a fumble return touchdown on a weird play gets them a comfortable win over who they beat fiue, excuse me, the Blazers. They beat the Blazers, which I had a lot of confidence in and it was close at halftime and scared the but Jesus I think was actually up at halftime. I mentioned the San Diego State thing. Yeah, fourteen to ten San Diego State, Central Michigan. I loved San Diego State in this one. Nice story for Central Michigan, but I didn't feel like their season or their team was on the level of the Aztecs. And finally Arkansas State FIU got close near the end, but big day from Lane Hatcher, quarterback for for Arkansas State led the way for the red Wolves. And obviously very emotional season for Blake Anderson in Arkansas State. So cool to see them win went out the way they did, and I think they finished with eight wins, So good to for Arkansas State.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'd only add that Liberty's passing offense is pretty legit. Pretty legit. Yeah, I mean they got Bowl eligible in a kind of suspect, I agree, but as a passing entity, they're pretty good. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The Liberty game. Was I mentioned the receiver I liked. I think he had an okay game. Antonio Gandy Golden. But yeah, I mean winning a bowl game is always going to be a big deal. Liberty as an independent team, had to do a little bit of schedule calculus. I think they lost to Rutgers, but they beat U MASS. Everybody should beat you Mass. And I want to say they beat New Mexico State twice and won two FCS games to get here. But hey, do what you can. Nice postseason win.
Speaker 1: All right, anything else to add on that first round of games, I don't think so. I think I'm good. This is the Bowl of Barge. It is hard four all aboard. Let's talk about the Belk, Sun, Liberty, Arizona, Alamo Outback, Citrus, Rose, and Sugar. Yeah, that dark foghorn means it's time to preview. Let's deliver some other bowl games. So today we've got, as you could hear, the Belk, the Sun, the Liberty, the Arizona, Alamo, Outback, Citrus, Rose, and Sugar bowls of all of these games, not including the Rose Bowl. Since I know you have a rooting interest, which one interests you the most?
Speaker 2: Utah Texas, just the way both of those teams ended the season, Utah largely in a positive way even though they lose the backwelve championship game, and Texas trying to figure out a new era for themselves.
Speaker 1: Minnesota is interesting to me. Yeah, that's my answer.
Speaker 2: Alabama Michigan. I wish we got to see two. Uh, Georgia Baylor is gonna be a lot of defense. So I think your answer is right.
Speaker 1: Auburn Minnesota, I think is the ultimate, the ultimate test of my theory of motivation in bowl games. And we'll get to that one in a little bit here, but let's start at the top. Let's go Belk Bowl Numero Uno. This one played on New Year's Eve on ESPN. It is eight and four Virginia Tech. It is seven and five. Kentucky Tech is currently a three point favorite. Now, my boy, our boy, Lynn Bowden Junior. We already listed him off in a previous show as having declared for the NFL Draft. There was just this open question around around whether or not he's going to play in this game. He's playing, Dan is taking He's taking first team reps at quarterback. He had a quote that I read that something like the last impression is the best impression or whatever. He's going out there. He's going to play quarterback. He is not going to be quarterback in the NFL. But the fact that he wants to be part of this Bowl game, I think is pretty cool on paper. On paper, I have no lean whatsoever here. It looks pretty dead even I obviously like the way Virginia Tech kind of built momentum and finally found their quarterback and got things going in a better direction. But I am partial to Kentucky, not just because of Lynn Boden. They played better teams. I trust their defense more. I think it's low scoring. I think it's a lot of defense. But I think Kentucky wins outright. I'm not very confident. I would say like four confidence points on this one. Two elite punting teams tie. Yes.
Speaker 2: If you want to become an administrator, if you want to become a civic leader, you can become the mayor of punt City by watching this game. So let's start with Kentucky. They finished the season winning four of five. If something's happening for this offense, as you mentioned, it's happening on the ground with Linn Bowden, Defensively, they were pushed around up front. You can run on this Kentucky team, but they do get after the quarterback. They do a good job in the past game defensively. And Virginia Tech, they finished the season pretty well, even though they lose to their rival for the first time in forever. They finished winning three of four with that Virginia loss. A much improved passing team with Hendon Hooker in there. The defense looked pretty good. They gave up too many big plays in Bud Foster's final season. And if there's anybody to watch defensively in this game, I'm gonna go with Ray Shard Ashby, linebacker for Virginia Tech. I have the Hokies by seven. Here really the number of ways.
Speaker 1: They can win. I think it's a nice bounce back.
Speaker 2: This game is in Charlotte, correct the bel yes correct, So I will once again recommend fudo bhuta for ramen and then anisio anitzo for pizza. Also, if you are playing a player in this game, you get a shopping trip to a Belk department store and a winger watch.
Speaker 1: Didn't someone get in trouble last year for trying to steal from the Belk Department Store.
Speaker 2: I want to say it was in the last couple of years an Arkansas player.
Speaker 1: That sounds right, but somebody tried to take a little bit more than they were supposed to. Yeah, all right, Belk Bowl, we disagree. Disagree.
Speaker 2: I like the Hokies, Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl, Tony the Tiger Sunboll What.
Speaker 1: Why not? How does Tony the Tiger have this kind of cabbage to sponsor the Sun Bowl? Do you think Brute is like a Fortune ten company? Why isn't it the Kellogg's Sun Ball Tony the Tiger, why is he on this? Why not? If they're promoting frosted flakes, that gets people talking. Wow, New Year's Eve CBS Arizona State seven and five flow to State six and six, ASU is a four point favorite. I other than having Tony the Tiger as the sponsor, which I cannot wait to see the commercials for this. You a frosted flakes man, I'm not not a frosted flakes guy. What number would it be?
Speaker 2: If you're just if you're walking through Egman's and you're saying, damn it, if I don't need some sort of sweet cereal to scratch an itch I have right now, what number down or a top your sweet cereal ranking? Does frosted flakes fall?
Speaker 1: It's probably in the top five. I don't know if anything could ever unseat frosted miniwheats.
Speaker 2: But this is this is why we do a show together. Ty yeah, Mini wheat man myself.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I'd have to give more thought to it, but frosted flakes are up there. Sure yeah, Cinnamon toast crunches right there. Maybe Golden Grams, Golden Grahams aren't bad. Yeah, Golden Grahms are terrific.
Speaker 2: So as it relates to this game specifically, Florida State lost two of three to finish out the season. They have a new coach, they have no cam Akers. Even with cam Akers, he couldn't do enough to make them a really good rushing team. They were only okay through the air. Defensively strong against the run, which I don't think matters all that much against what this ASU team became. They were not great against the pass, which is concerning. But on the other side, Arizona State lost four of six to finish out the season with a big astrosklot Oh. They beat a top ten team at home in Oregon, but even with Eno Benjamin they couldn't really run. They did hit some bombs in the past game, no Brandon Ayuk in this game for Arizona State, they were really good against the run and only okay against the pass because of so much shuffling from Florida State and missing their clear best player. I have the Sun Devils by seven here in El Paso, a city in which you should be dining at H and H, a car wash that has excellent Mexican food. Really yeah, and players in this game have access to a gift suite and they will also be given a timely watch company silvertone watch, a Majestic Pro based Least pull over, an Ogo Excelsior backpack. Oh so okay, another Shuttle pack nonsense, a New Era cap, and a coin.
Speaker 1: What do you think The final score of this game is twenty four seventeen. Yeah, I worry it doesn't even get that high. Wow. I don't think these defenses are all that good though they're not, but neither of the offenses and Florida States without cam Akers, as you mentioned, ASU is without Brandon Ayu, maybe without Eno Benjamin. We haven't heard on his status yet. But what this amounts to is to very average offenses without their best players, and in normal circumstances that might mean a defensive struggle. That's not really Florida State's game either, is it? So? No, not really now, so I'm super torn here. I was fully prepared to take FSU before the news about Cam Akers, and I just I can't fight the feeling that Arizona State's really overrated. Sorry, but that's how I feel. Okay, So you know it depends on the news about Eno Benjamin. If he is playing in this game, I will switch over to ASU with seven confidence points. But I'm switching it back if Eno Benjamin sits out.
Speaker 2: He's out, He's not playing. I just I just looked it up. According to Colin deaver Colin deaver is, I'd say Colin dever TV, he is a an anchor in It looks like in El Paso, Arizona State's leading receiver joins the Sun Devil's leading rusher Ineno Benjamin and Florida State leading rusher Cam Akers. This is in reference to Brandon I, who will not play in the Sun Bowl.
Speaker 1: Then I'm going back to Florida State, baby, Okay, take it I worry that outside of Tony the Tiger being the sponsor, the most interesting thing you can say about this year's Sun Bowl is that it absolutely could be the second coming of the two thousand and eight Sun Bowl. And we all know what happened in that one. You're took Oregon State, pitt, I know what happened in that one. Three nothing Oregon State.
Speaker 2: I have a proposition for you. I want any team that has an interim coach because their coach left or their coach was fired, they if they're going to make that decision before the bowl game, which is their right, they should be forced to be led by Barry Alvarez in their bowl game. Barry Alvarez should be leading the Seminoles out onto the field.
Speaker 1: Oh Man. Also Alex Hornybrooks skipping this bull game? Right? Yeah? Well do you think he's just skipping out? We have a job, interviewer. What's going on there? It'd be great if he did get a job. Okay, what a mess. I'm gonna go Florida State. But I got seven confidence points. That'll be seven lost confidence points right there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, going with this Florist State team. Twenty eighteen, twenty nineteen.
Speaker 1: Someone's got to win this game, though.
Speaker 2: Oh man, I'm looking at the H and H car wash menu right now.
Speaker 1: It looks great. The AutoZone Liberty Bowl some chile Ver Day. Also on New Year's Eve on ESPN, it's Navy at ten and two. It is Case State the Wildcats at eight and four. Navy is a two point favorite. Dan getting a zone. Who you picking here in the AutoZone Liberty Bowl.
Speaker 2: I think I like Kansas State. They finished the season winning five of seven. They do everything okay. Their past defense pretty promising. Wyatt Hubert, great double first name guy, is an defensive end. He's been a big bright spot. I think he was all Big twelve. They gave up some big plays and that's Worriso in the Big twelve. But this Navy team's good. They finished the season. We saw the Army game. They won seven of eight. They obviously run extremely well. They built the whole thing out of Malcolm Perry. Decent enough against the run, pretty awful against the pass. Jacob Springer, he's a bad man. Tie Yeah, three sacks I think against Army, so two different teams. I think Kansas State edges them out and wins this one. It's in Memph, right, Yes, just find barbecue Rendezvous Barbecue great. It's very hard to find bad barbecue in Memphis. It's terrific, especially if you like dry rub ribs, dry rub ribs. Okay, yes, players in this game. Bass Pro Shops, shopping trip, a Bose Soundlink Color Bluetooth speaker.
Speaker 1: I like that. I like that a lot. Is that a good product? I like that. Bo's is a good name, not a sponsor, but a good name, not a sponsor.
Speaker 2: Caravel By, Blova watch, Nike athletic shoes, sports sandals, backpack and sunglasses, and a football so decent hall not bad, not bad, I am.
Speaker 1: I am also going to go K State here nineteen confidence points. Oh, it is not a great matchup for them, given the state of their rushing defense. However, after what Chris Climan did in year one, that fantasy factory he's building down there in Manhattan, I have a lot of confidence in him to figure this one out, given all the time he's had to prepare. So okay, yeah, give me K State. I'm with you, we agree. Moving on the Nova Home Loans Arizona Bowl. Yeah, this is the weird one that's on CBS Sports Network that everyone forgets about. Yes, you're right, New Year's Eve. Wyoming at seven and five, Georgia State at seven and five. Wyoming is a seven and a half point favorite. And the operative question with this football game is what happens when a stoppable force meets a movable object? Daniel, It's a great question, Ty, I've always wondered at myself. That's what this comes down to. Wyoming's offense is lousy, but Georgia State's defense is lousier. Give me Wyoming. Wyoming beat Missoo to open the year, so they've obviously got some bigger game experience. Georgia State beat Tennessee, Ty the tennisance. Gimme Wyoming. Give me Wyoming twenty points. Yeah, not even gonna think twice.
Speaker 2: I like Wyoming by about five points. I don't know what my confidence level is, probably tween twelve, thirteen, fourteen, somewhere in there. Wyoming did lose three or four to end this season. But all you know, Boise and air Force among those, those are very good teams. Offense, as you mentioned, kind of a mess. They degenerate some chunk plays. Their defense is incredible against the run, not great against the pass and Georgia State's led by Trey Barnett a decent enough. I think he's a pretty good running back, so he paces the offense. So it's a nice matchup for Wyoming. And you're right, Georgia State's defense definitely rough. Yeah, I'm just going to go with the cowboys here in Tucson. I don't know if you've ever been to Tucson, Arason, they haven't lovely place. Lovely place. You can get some good Mexican food. I've heard l Pueblito is a good time for Mexican food in the Tucson area. Takaria Juanitos as well, and enjoy yourself in Tucson if you're coming down from altitude in a if you're a Wyoming fan, if you're coming in from Georgia State. Also, the players in this game have access to a gift suite, a Herschel Supply Company Chapter travel kits, not just a backpack, but a travel's mouth insulated beanie. It can get cold at night in Arizona in the winter, ti you're in the desert. Yeah, yeah, that's all all right.
Speaker 1: And finally, on New Year's Eve, the Valero Almo Bowl interesting matchup here h on ESPN the Utah Utes at eleven and two, Texas Longhorns at seven and five. Utah is seven and one half point favorite here, so Texas second straight year they're in a bowl game against a bigger opponent trying to knock off the Utes. Kyle Whittingham, we should note, is eleven and two in his career in bowl games. Typically, Typically Kyle Whittingham is not someone you want to bet against come Bowl season. Utah I think is the better team here. They are the better things two. It does concern me Texas Tom Herman in big games like this, they kind of get up and you never really want to count Sam Ellinger out. But I just think Utah is better. They're evened out a lot more than Texas. They're better on offense, they're better on defense. I'm not supremely confident here, but I like Utah with six confidence points. What a precipitous fall for Utah to go from the edge of the playoff to the alamobile I know, right. They rip off eight straight before losing to Oregon in the Pac twelve championship game. It's a team built around both offense and defensive efficiency. Bradley and I obviously a monster on the defensive line. A terrific year for Tyler Huntley and Zach Moss in the backfield. Just an all around great season for Utah. And not that the Alamobile isn't fun. It's what New Year's Eve you said. Yeah, San Antonio is a good enough time. You go to two ms smokehouse, tie barbecue place with some Mexican flavor. Oh, I gotta get there at some point. It's just two teams that might be a little bit disapp pointed to be in the situation they find themselves in. Texas finishes losing two of three, not a big playoffense. They deal with injuries on both sides of the ball. Devin Duvernet is obviously terrific, but this was you know, they get rid of their coordinators. They're decent enough against the run. It was a rough year against the pass. Obviously.
Speaker 2: The injuries color that I have the Utes by probably double digits here, like ten to eleven points.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like them. I like them a lot here. I'm just not as confident as I want to be. I think because Texas had the big Sugar Bowl win last year. I'm afraid They're going to come into this one fired up, but Utah is the clear better team. Can I tell you about the gift package in this game? I would love to hear Apple AirPods pro Whoa one hundred and fifteen dollars random amount I Amazon gift card. Okay, Michael Core's watch Jesus.
Speaker 2: That's that's a legit brand, a helmet and a team panoramic photo.
Speaker 1: Remember the Alamo Baby. That's a hell of a gift suite. That's all. Absolutely it is Whoa And I'll watch the hell out of this game. As you know, it's an exciting time for sports, but none more exciting than the NFL. People want to get in on the action. The best place to do so is my bookie. If you're that kind of guy you want to get in and win a lot, try Parlay. You can combine some of the big favorites this week. Parlay is going to give you a bigger payout. My Bookie's got more lines of better odds for the player than any other sports book around. If you join right now, they're going to match your deposit halfway all the way up to one thousand, which means you deposit two, you get an extra one in free money to play with. All you gotta do is use our promo code Solid to activate the offer once again. That is promo code Solid to get your extra cash from my bookie. Bet win get paid. Let's go to twenty twenty. Oh my gosh, the Outback Bowl January first, ESPN Auburn at nine and three. We've got Minnesota at ten and two. Auburn is a seven point spread, So I called this one out at the top. I am supremely interested in the outcome. Who do you think wants this game more? Who wants the game? Who is more motivated? Minnesota? It has to be right? Yeah? Yeah, New Year's Day game in Florida against an SEC power. Sure, here is the struggle going on between my ears right now. The struggle is last year, kind of acting on a whim, I took Purdue to knock off Auburn. Perdu Yeah, Perdue got annihilated in that Bowl game. Yeah. And my first thought at looking at this one is that while I shouldn't pick against Auburn again against a Big ten team because that didn't work out so well last year, But but I really want to take Minnesota because of that motivation factor, because I know this game means more to them than it does Auburn. And my rule, just as as a practical matter is go with the more motivated team unless it's a complete mismatch. Okay, So my follow up question then is does Auburn's defense pose a big enough mismatch here to at least get me out of jail here from my own formula and go on the Auburn side.
Speaker 2: So they would be without Nick Coe, right Auburn, Yes, a key piece along their defensive line. Auburn won three of four. Their offense was inconsistent all year long. They've finished strong versus Alabama. Their defense is exceptional. The only they were the only real team to slow down LSU. Derek Brown is everywhere. These are all this is all old news. Minnesota did lose the season, sort of limping to there. They didn't lose the season. They did lose their what two of three? They sort of limped to the finish line after starting nine to zero. They were so so on the ground, terrific through the air. Then, Tyler Johnson Rashad Bateman duo is not to discussed enough. As far as I'm concerned. They hauled in great passes from Tanner Morgan, who took really impressive couple steps forward. Really, they were better against the run they were against the pass, which is a nice thing. I guess against Auburn. I think ultimately the Auburn defense being the thing I have the most confidence in in this game. I have them by like thirteen points. Really, yeah, I think they're going to overwhelm them.
Speaker 1: I don't think either team is as good as a record. You think Auburn is like an eight and four team, Yeah, seven and five? Oh man. Basically, yeah, I do think it's close. So if you're a betting type, I would actually go Minnesota plus the points here. But okay, I just man, I always in trouble with Auburn. I am going to go against myself and I'm going to take Auburn here over Minnesota. But I think it's close.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The Minnesota season is at the same time impressive and also they start the year kind of slow. They beat up on a bunch of big ten backup quarterbacks, and then things get tricky. After the Penn State win, which was great, lose to Iowa, beat Northwestern on the road, and lose comfortably to Wisconsin, and there is some there's some carryover to me with the way that they played against the Iowa and Wisconsin defenses. They didn't score twenty I don't think in either one of those games. I know weather an issue, but that against a similarly talented and productive defense in Auburn's that has me worried.
Speaker 1: What's the gift situation in this game? The gift situation in the who's the Outback ball sponsor? Outback?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I'm a dumb, dumb fossil watch, one hundred and twenty five dollars Amazon gift card.
Speaker 1: A Jostin's ring, Oh boy, an Outback steakhouse gift card, and a hat my recommendation. I know our pal adam Amine is a big proponent of Dats Datz for creative sort of bar food, Latara set to any Cuban food in Tampa's going to do you pretty well? Okay?
Speaker 2: How do you feel about Outback though the chain, the restaurant Outback or the actual area of Australia.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm assuming you haven't been to the actual Outback. I have not. I have not done a walk about. How do you feel about Outback as a chain restaurant?
Speaker 2: The last time I went was probably two thousand and sixteen seventeen, somewhere in there. They still got the good bread. The bloomin Onion's delicious, but it's a lot three and a half bites and you're good. I don't remember what I ordered, maybe some fish tacos, maybe a piece of fish. It was totally good. It was fine. Do do you think it's amazing? Do you think it's terrible? Do you have any strong opinions?
Speaker 1: But I don't have a strong opinion on it. You shall get it. I get a good meal there. I haven't been in forever, but yeah, all right, Bread's still great. The VRBO Citrus Bowl, this one is on ABC. It's also in New Year's Day. It is Alabama at ten and two, it is Michigan at nine and three. And the point spread here is only seven. Only seven, Yeah, in favor of Alabama. None of the ranking systems that I use had this one under eleven points in favor of Alabama. Okay, So if you're betting Michigan here, certainly, if you're picking them out right, but if you're thinking at all of betting Michigan, keep that in the back of your mind. What you're essentially betting on here is I guess mac Jones really crapping the bed and Michigan some keeping it somewhat close if you pick me in the confidence pool, close enough to win. Obviously, I don't personally think that's likely, but that is what you would be betting into. What to you is the case not against Alabama but for Michigan, Like what has Michigan shown this year? It's for you to say, if they're going to beat a motivated Alabama, this is how it's shape Patterson improving over the course of the year, figuring out the running game a little bit more. I think what the case is for the Michigan secondary after that Ohio State game. Now, I think the case would be that the Michigan defense is good enough to hold down an Alabama offense without Tua to some degree, and their own offense has improved enough that they can move the ball and score points against an Alabama defense which has been leaky at spots is here. So again, I don't really buy that. I think Alabama is way better than Michigan, and seven points feels extraordinarily low to me, So I'm on Bama. Here to the tune of twenty two confidence points. I think they're two to two and a half touchdowns better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny you mentioned the number eleven. I do have Alabama by eleven exactly. Really yeah, I have it like thirty five, twenty four, forty to twenty nine, something like that, and that might include a backdoor whatever. For Michigan, they scored forty three points in their losses. Yeah, that's impressive. And even if they're not super motivated, they still have probably the best receiving core in the nation. And Michigan did struggle against Ohio State, they did struggle at times against Penn State, and I think it's going to be an issue. And Forny Jennings on defense for Alabama is mister Disruption. I know they're without Trevon Diggs and Terrell Lewis, but this is still an Alabama defense that is good enough to hold the Michigan offense in check. Michigan for what they're worth, which is still I think it's an impressive team. They finished the year winning four or five. The running game actually was there for both Notre Dame and Michigan State, but not much beyond that. I mentioned Shape Patterson clicking later on in the season. Overall, this defense is strong, but against you know, the top of the top offensively, which Alabama certainly is. I don't know how much you can depend on this Michigan secondary right now to have enough bodies and to make enough plays when there's just there's going to be that much in the way of assaulting from Alabama.
Speaker 1: So VRBO is what that's an Airbnb compartit?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's as far as I know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not a sponsor. They sponsored the Citrus Bowl gift situation here four one.
Speaker 2: Hundred dollars best by gift card, a watch, a Herschel backpack with a luggage tag. The game is played in Orlando, Florida, and I was I mean speaking of AsSalt. The subreddit was not happy with me saying I didn't know anything about Orlando food. So just go to the subreddit and there are lots of people who you know, there are two point five million people in this metro area.
Speaker 1: You don't need to go to CPK, So go to the subreddit to see where you should eat in Orlando. The Rose Bowl Game presented by Northwestern Mutual. Yeah, granddaddy of them all. Love it. New Year's Day ESPN Wisconsin at ten and three, your Oregon Ducks at eleven and two, Wisconsin a slim three point favorite. Dan, I'm assuming you're excited that your Oregon Ducks had made the Rose Bowl, because that's pretty damn cool. And you know, I think in our heart of hearts, we were hoping for a Penn State Oregon mack Ver Bowl that we could talk about here on the show. Didn't happen. But alas, this is a pretty cool matchup to some degree contrasting styles. Yeah, where are you at here? How you feel? So?
Speaker 2: I went back and forth on this one. I think Oregon plays up in big games better than we've seen Wisconsin do it. Though Wisconsin against you know, team like Minnesota was good. I just think Oregon's on a higher level. They finished the year obviously, winning eleven of twelve. They had the dumb loss to Arizona State. The offense was mostly good this year. They went into a shell and both of those losses for long stretches. The running game improved, you know good. Justin Herbert is absolutely great. The defense in particular seems to play to the moment. Kevon Thibodeaux came along incredibly well, a true freshman off the edge. The Wisconsin team is based on efficiency. As good as Jonathan Taylor tailback is was will continue to be, it wasn't busting huge runs all the time, and so I think that's a nice matchup for Oregon. Quintes Cephis is the guy that can stretch the field, but I think you need more to be to defense as dangerous as Oregons can be. I know Wisconsin's favored here. I just think point wise, they're gonna need to keep up with Oregon. I have the Ducks by seven. I actually wanted to take Oregon by one or three points something like that. I just don't trust Oregon's kicking game at all, So in order to win this game, I think they need to win by more than that. So I do have the Ducks by by about a touchdown in a really fun game, something like thirty three to I'm doing math quickly. Twenty six, okay, four, twenty five somewhere in that region.
Speaker 1: I think this is going to be a really close game, and I am excited to watch the Rose Bowl. This is a great contest. I worry a little bit about Wisconsin's defense, which has been really good, trying to contain CJ. Verdell, and we've seen down the stretch here a couple moments when Oregon has found a really effective way to deploy his skills and he's put up some big numbers. I worry a little bit here for Wisconsin that that could be the situation they're walking into. That being said, yeah, I also I'm curious as to can Wisconsin control the flow of the game with Jonathan Taylor tailback. Is that something that they'll be able to do against this Oregon defense, which has been really good this year. I am going to actually go on the other side of this one. I'm going to take Wisconsin. I am going to say three points in terms of confidence and three points victory margin as well. I think it's something like thirty one to twenty eight, thirty one to twenty seven, somewhere in that we'll be able to take it. Yeah, some somewhere in that realm. I think they're very evenly matched, and I don't have a strong lean one way or the other, but I'll just take the opposite side here because they like Jonathan Taylor tailback. You should also pay attention to Zach Bond and Chris or Great duo at linebacker for Wisconsin and or missed most of the Big Ten championship games, so hopefully he is at full health for the Oregon game the Rose Bowl. As part of their gift package, there is a gift suite that includes a Fossil Watch. They also are giving away an Ogo backpack, a new Era nine to fifty snapback adjustable hat, and you get to go to the Rose Bowl. I think you get to Gosneyland. It's great, he said. There's the Beef Bowl, two really strong offensive lines, there's some damage. It's Lowry's Prime Rib Tie That's where the Beef Bowl happens. I have a lot of LA Food recommendations, but if you're staying on the East side, Marisco's Jalisco, Sonora Town and Ricky's Fish Tacos are just tremendous. If you want other food, that's great too. I can help you out. Send me an email or Twitter. I'm backlogged, but I'll be sending out LA Food recommendations. And finally, the last one for today, Yeah, on New Year's Day. It is ESPN. It's the late game in its typical time slot. Georgia at eleven and two, Baylor also at eleven and two. The Bulldogs are favored by seven and a half. I should note that, at least at time of recording here, Charlie Brewer is still in concussion protocol, so if he did not play, that would certainly change the complexion of this game pretty drastically. Georgia's defense is already so damn good even if their offense stinks. For a confidence pool, you're assuming a lot, even if Charlie Brewer is healthy, that they can generate enough offense to score on Georgia. Certainly, without Charlie Brewer to score on Georgia, that to me is a bit of a bridge too far. So I lean pretty strongly on the Georgia side of things, just because I think the defense is far and away better than anything Baylor has seen all year. The counterpoint would be that Georgia's offense isn't exactly anything to write home about. They're banged up out wide, Jake From hasn't had much to throw to I love DeAndre Swift, I still love Jake From, even though he's certainly seen better days. But this is not a clash of too good offenses by any measure.
Speaker 2: No, and Georgia does this is all relative. Georgia is being looked at as having a disappoint offense relative to the talent on hand that going to be playing in the Sugar Bowl, because I think it's either I know they're starting left tackle is not going to be there, Andrew Thomas, he's leaving early and focusing on the draft. Isaiah Wilson. I haven't seen anything definitive. There is an assumption he won't be playing in this game. They're without Ben Cleveland for academic reasons, also on that offensive line, so sort of a new look up front for Georgia, which is not great because that was a really strong offensive line this year. DeAndre Swift we saw, was clearly hampered against LSU, didn't really get on the field all that much. So I don't know where points are coming from anywhere in that name. Just between George's struggles and the health of Charlie Brewer, I think he was also there. He had the most carries for this Baylor offense this year, so they depended on him for so much. And whether it's Gary bahanon or what was it Jacob Zeno who came in and threw that long touchdown pass or passes I don't know where the points are. The good news for Baylor is their defense should play sort of with their hair on fire.
Speaker 1: That's the motivated factor. Would you say that they're gonna be pinning their ears back?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, generating some third in California's Yeah, yeah, dialing up some blitzes. Phil Snow and the Snow advisory. I really like this Baylor defense a lot. I really love this Georgia defense a lot. I think I'm gonna go with Georgia close in an ugly game, Georgia close, the quarterback factor seventeen, fourteen, twenty to fourteen, something like that. Baylor hangs but doesn't get the job done. So I'm going dogs here reluctantly, so low confidence.
Speaker 1: I got Georgia by fourteen to seventeen. I guess I'm taking the points though. Yeah, that's fair, that's fair. I like Georgia pretty comfortably here. I think they win, I think they cover. I just think they're better. I think they're a better team, and some of the losses on offense, especially along the line, will certainly be something to monitor. But I have bigger concerns about the Baylor offense going up against this Georgia front. So Georgia wins out right. I got twenty four confidence points in this, Yeah, twenty four. And I also think Georgia covers. The gift suite in this one includes an Armani Exchange watch and outside of that, the history of Bowls celebrating the good of the game. That's a book, a New Era hat, rock them socks that's cool, a performance hooded T shirt. I think that's it.
Speaker 2: I think that appears to be at who knows what the gift suite holds. Also, if you're eating in New Orleans one, you can't really go wrong. There's good food everywhere. You can go to Killer Poe Boys or Bevy for Poe Boys, there's you know, there's seventy three amazing pole boy places, Koshan Koshan Butcher. For sandwiches, it's a bummer that it's not really crawfish season. Willie Mays though. For fried chicken that's M A E, not M A Y. That's incredible fried chicken. But you're you're living your life right if you're going to New Orleans, either for the Sugar Bowl or for the National Championship.
Speaker 1: Stomach wise, Daniel, that's all I got.
Speaker 2: I think that's all I have is well, I've got a lot of dough fermenting in the kitchen.
Speaker 1: I gotta attend to doe fermenting in the kitchen, right huh right? Well, thank you to everyone out there for tuning in. This was the fourth of our five part Bowl preview. We're going to continue to recap games as we go along. We only have five left though, five in addition to of course, the National Championship to preview, so on our next show we'll talk about the Birmingham Bowl, Gator Bowl, Famous Idaho Potato Bowl, Armed Forces Bowl, and the Lending Tree Bowl. Lending Tree Bowl. Five more here to discuss. Thank you again to everyone out there for tuning in. We appreciate it. Don't forget the subscribe will be with you all off season. Anywhere you get your podcasts, you can find the solid verbel just hit that subscribe button. Also, follow us out there on social media as well. I want to check out any of our old stuff. You can go to solid verbal dot com. And if you want to be part of the discussion, so oliver withourreddit dot com. You got a whole subreddit started buiver ballers Forver ballers. We check in from time to time. I'd say, yeah, I'm checking in less now that I've been assaulted. Right, food takes, but by and large it's say teaming community of for ballers. Oh they're great. I love them a lot of fun. So Daniel, enjoy the rest of your week. Merry Christmas, Happy holidays. Hope you enjoy some time with the family. Got any big planes.
Speaker 2: Going down to Florida Christmas Day through jan two, so I'll have all my equipment down there as we start recapping games. I don't know if we're doing any previewing while I'm there, but I'll be ready for anything. Nick Saban stepping down, Sure, I'm ready. So yeah, I mean going to enjoy some sun, some swimming great, some food great, some naps with a lot of people there to help watch over the solid baby. No complaints, It should be great, all right.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you again to everyone for listening wherever you may be around the country and around the world. We do issue the warmest of holiday wishes. We will catch you on the flip side at some point a few days before we switch it over to twenty twenty. But in the meantime, for that guy over there, my good friend Dan Rubinstein for myself, Ty Hilton Brand, thanks again so much for downloading the show. We will talk to you all soon. Stay solid, peace,