Speaker 1: Hello, everyone, This is Martha Stewart. Kate Hudson is my guest. She is the effervescent, multi talented star of beloved films and television shows. Born into a show business family, she made her own indelible mark in Hollywood with her award winning role in the movie Almost Famous. She has since expanded into music with an album released last year, and into retail with a partnership with the brand fabe Letex, all the while raising three kids. You are probably seeing her all over your Netflix feed right now because she is the star of their newest original television series. It's a very funny comedy based on the life of La Lakers owner Jeanie Buss. Kate, Welcome to my podcast.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited to so you're like, you're like my hero. Just say you know very well by you.
Speaker 1: Well, I love programs like your new program.
Speaker 3: Oh thanks.
Speaker 1: I became enamored of Ted Lasso and watched the whole thing and learned a lot about the economics of sports, about the running of a sports team, about the emotions of working in the sports team world. Yeah, high stakes, yes, high stakes. So you must be having so much fun.
Speaker 2: So much fun, and really the show is about the family dynamic. You know, Jeanie Buss's life, She's carried on her father's legacy. And you know, when you it's like running a family business and your father passes away and you have not only the stakes of like the biggest basketball franchise, but but holding you know, like holding that that space with the family, which is so challenging.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and you have how many brothers in the show?
Speaker 2: I have three brothers and who all have different positions in the family business. So I have one brother that's the CFO, one that's general manager, and when you meet me, I'm in charitable endeavors. And then my older brother is the president and then he has a situation and puts me in charge of the team.
Speaker 1: So that the show is called Running Point. Just started on February twenty seventh, so we're not too late to really get into this show now.
Speaker 2: And it was so exciting as people are watching it and they, you know, are enjoying it.
Speaker 3: So we're all so happy.
Speaker 1: And you might get a basketball team after you know, who knows, We're going to know so much.
Speaker 2: About exactly I said to Mindy when it happened, like you know, me Brenda Song, who plays my right hand in the show. We both have only brothers, so we only grew up with brothers.
Speaker 1: So how many brothers do you have?
Speaker 3: I have three? Well, I have three brothers that I was raised with.
Speaker 1: And now you have some hef Yeah, so I have five.
Speaker 3: Brothers and two sisters. Wow all together.
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot, a lot of kids. But grew up with the three boys, and so I was like, Mindy just knew like me, you could put me in a room full of boys and you could and I can handle it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can get along and you can survive.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 1: So what's Genie like in person? I've never met her.
Speaker 2: She's really wonderful. I met Genie when I was like fourteen because our family were big Kings fans, like in the Golden era, Gretzki hockey era, and we'd go to all of the Kings games and Jeannie ran the Forum and she ran the Forum Club, which is where the bar was, and I was very naughty, so I'd always find my way into the Forum Club somehow, and she'd always come in and make sure that I wasn't getting into too much trouble as she was like, yeah, she can have an Arnold Palmer and we're like fifteen sixty. But I got to know her a little bit during those years, but then, you know, lost sight of that connection until now. So it's been really fun to reconnect.
Speaker 1: And so the writers of the show, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Mindy Kaling, Yeah, and Dave David Stassen are our showrunner, and Ike Baron Holtz and then just a great robust team of and they've.
Speaker 1: All meeting obviously done a tremendous amount of research into sports and running a sports team.
Speaker 2: Our show runner, Dave, he I think deep down feels that that is what he should be doing in life.
Speaker 3: He's a huge basketball fan.
Speaker 1: Well, if this is successful enough, I know you can all invest in a team exactly. That's my dream for you.
Speaker 3: We'll start a team. Will you come on board?
Speaker 1: You love sports? I love I love spectators sports.
Speaker 3: Yeah. It's so fun, isn't it. The energy is the best.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so much fun. I'm I'm a Knicks fan from way way back. Yeah, so it's so much fun to sit on the floor at Madison Square Garden and watch our Knicks sometimes win.
Speaker 3: I actually and how to lose a guy in ten days. There's a whole scene.
Speaker 2: It's a whole Knicks scene where it's the scene where I ask Matthew mcconnor, like, right at the important part of the game to like go get me a diet coke.
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, yeah, and.
Speaker 2: We're head to toe Nick's gear. And so every time during this everybody think things, I'm a Knicks fan because of that movie, but I sadly have.
Speaker 3: To be like, well, no, I'm a Lakers fan.
Speaker 1: So Mindy, tell me about Mindy and working with her and what's her influence on the show.
Speaker 3: Mindy's fantastic.
Speaker 2: I mean, Mindy really set out to make a very funny show with the sort of pace that she's so well known for, kind of very fast paced comedic timing. But she really wanted to elevate this in the world that it is, which is quite glamorous and basketball and high stakes business. So when she and I met and I was like, is this the is the show that I'm reading the.
Speaker 3: Show you want to do?
Speaker 2: Because a a lot of times in comedy you find that the show that you're given becomes a little bit watered down and you get into the process and they don't want to take risks by having too many swear words, or that's being.
Speaker 1: As crazy or as Yeah, I'm working on a show like that right now, which is so weird. And Mine is a Mine's kind of a reality cooking show with Jose and Drace. It's a show about on chefs, all of whom know how to cook. They're not the greatest chefs, but they all have a problem that's keeping them from becoming a greater chef. So emotional anger management.
Speaker 3: Oh this sounds so fun.
Speaker 2: Now, how are you in the filming process? Did you have crazy hours?
Speaker 1: I'm still doing it. I go back to tomorrow.
Speaker 3: So it's crazy hours.
Speaker 1: Oh like fourteen hours.
Speaker 3: A day, isn't it crazy?
Speaker 1: And I'm standing or sitting on a stool and I am a wreck, and there's no time to get a massage, no time to get you right to sleep. Well, no, we always have to go out to dinner with Hosey's a chef, you know, and Jose has to have dinner every night. Sounds fun, even if it's it's so much fun. Yeah, it's it's like your show. I mean, you're in a on the floor of a basketball My gosh.
Speaker 2: We are going on and our and our work hours were like fifteen hour days. I mean anywhere from twelve to fifteen hours. But we were downtown La.
Speaker 1: How many days? How many days in a row?
Speaker 3: Oh I'm working all every day? Yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 2: I very rarely had a day off. But like I'm like Jose because the second word downtown l A. I'm like, I don't live downtown in La. This is where all the Michelin star restaurants are, so we have to go to them. So after work, I'd be like, we gotta go. We have to go to this restaurant.
Speaker 1: Three hour Japanese meal the other night. Japanese French meal the other night in ls.
Speaker 3: L in Toronto. Yes, I've been there.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, amazing, amazing, the aged sakes and then the and then the.
Speaker 3: Like that's my favorite.
Speaker 1: Oh so you're a foodie.
Speaker 2: I'm a big you Just you just said my Like my that's like my magic word. That's a puny montroche is like my.
Speaker 1: Favorite, isn't it the best?
Speaker 3: I can't even stand it?
Speaker 2: Like if you want a way right to my heart, I'm like one of those.
Speaker 3: Icy cold, thin thin Oh yes, yummy. I love food, Oh my god, and I cook?
Speaker 1: Are you eating in New York it's just are you want to preach again? But right now?
Speaker 3: No, I'm here a lot. I'm here a lot.
Speaker 2: And but yeah, we've been doing all the press too. But my son goes to goes to school and performing art school the city.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh great.
Speaker 2: And and I can't believe it because he's he's almost done and he's going to be a senior next year. So he's a junior, he's twenty one, and I can't It's like wild to me.
Speaker 3: I just can't even believe he's He's wonderful.
Speaker 2: He's really smart, he's really funny, and he's like an awesome person to hang around.
Speaker 3: You know, he's just a good.
Speaker 1: So were you taking him to eat? Yeah?
Speaker 2: We go to all kinds of places, you know. I actually went to eleven Park. I went to Madison Love Park, Madison a couple of days ago.
Speaker 1: You're not a vegan, are you?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: No? What'd you think?
Speaker 3: I thought it was very good. I always miss a little meat.
Speaker 1: I took my grandchildren there for Mother's Day and their mother after about seven courses, they said, are we going to get anything to eat?
Speaker 3: And oh no, it wasn't enough.
Speaker 1: It was not their style of food.
Speaker 3: Did you have the chautaki course.
Speaker 1: No, we had. There's that other vegetable that he is enamored of. Forgetting the name of it. Yeah, I love in Madison Park for all of you who don't know, is a vegan, highest end vegan restaurant in New York. And it is a superb place with a superb chef who has taken it to another.
Speaker 3: Level truly, and in the most amazing room.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, beautiful.
Speaker 2: I went into their wine cellar. Of course I was there to like one in the morning because I can't ever leave restaurants, and I went into the wine cellar.
Speaker 3: What else has been I'm a big polo bar fan.
Speaker 1: Ralph's my next door neighbor. Oh really, he lives it next to me in Bedford. Has created amazing, amazing restaurant. Yeah, and it is packed every night. And if you don't know somebody, you don't get into the polo loud.
Speaker 3: It's such an amazing vibe.
Speaker 2: And also I just I was up in the in the back having a drink, having this amazing martini and I was like, with all of the paintings and the leather seats and the paneling, wood paneling, and I was like, I want to live in this energy all the time.
Speaker 1: You just call his office. They can do your entire house just like that. So back to your program, and your character works for the family business, as you said, And what do you think of family dynamics in the workplace? Oh?
Speaker 2: Interesting, I think the thing that I relate to it the most is being a only girl with all boys. It's sort of this desire to be validated by your breath. There's like wanting them to see you, but really in order for you to be seen, you have to yell and scream and try to get them to understand that you need to be heard. You know. It's like a little more complicated than just are they going to listen to you in the end.
Speaker 3: I mean, we'll see to find out.
Speaker 1: That how many episodes have you done so far?
Speaker 2: And Netflix, you know, it just comes right out. So it's one of those things where it came out and the next day I was walking around New York and I had like three people come up to me and they're like, I saw the whole show last night, And so you sort of work for so many months and then people see it in one night and you're like.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that was fast.
Speaker 1: Did you get to sing on the show?
Speaker 3: No? No, I don't think I love is a singer. Oh no, I think we're going to see that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, somehow somehow bring that into it, because that's that's a big thing for you to release an album. How brave? Thank you? It was really good reviews.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was really special. And I did get to sing in this last movie I did with Hugh Jackman. Hugh and I have a film coming out. I don't know when, but we sing in that.
Speaker 1: Do you play the guitar also a guitar?
Speaker 3: Can?
Speaker 2: I can write on the guitar. I can write on the piano. I don't know if I'm comfortable. I mean, I like if we were, if I was at your house and I could pick up the guitar and I could play songs and sing, you know, But I'm not so sure i'd want to do that in front of a live audience.
Speaker 3: I don't think I'm ready for that yet.
Speaker 1: But have you been singing in front of.
Speaker 2: Like It's been one of the great experiences for me in my life right now, because I didn't think I was ever going to really do it, and I got to a certain place where I was like, oh, music is just not going to happen for me. And then when I during COVID sort of was able to reflect on my creative life up to that point.
Speaker 1: Which was very creative and very successful.
Speaker 3: Yes, but there was a huge thing missing, you know, the music.
Speaker 2: Music.
Speaker 3: It really was. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It was like it was like, Oh, I'm so afraid to put this out in the world that I know deep down in the back of my head that I would never know what it would be or what it would have been.
Speaker 1: That's why I took this job with this new show.
Speaker 3: Really.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I took it because I said, well, I haven't done that before. Yeah, I haven't done a primetime NBC show, prime time, this is ten PM, and I thought, oh my gosh, I might as well do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, I feel like that's kind of especially with people that are constantly wanting to be creative, you know. I think that's what keeps us the creative juices flowing, like we have to keep moving forward and do different So are.
Speaker 1: You going to do more albums? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Oh, could definitely.
Speaker 2: I love to write music. I've always loved to write music. I just thought it was going to be for myself. I never thought that I was going to be sharing it because I was too afraid to.
Speaker 3: But now that I.
Speaker 1: Finally did, your father or other thing.
Speaker 3: My dad, my dad.
Speaker 2: My father's a musician, my real father, Yeah, yeah, yeah, Bill Hudson, and he was in a band called the Hudson Brothers in the seventies. They had like a you know, a variety show, and I had some albums.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: They were these real, literal like Italian American boys, very handsome, very charming, very wild. He's a musician. And my grandfather, my mother's side, was a professional violinist. He was a fiddle player and played in orchestra's in DC.
Speaker 3: That was his job. So music's definitely in our blood.
Speaker 1: An kids of yours with music, all of them, all of them, all of them.
Speaker 3: I'll show you Ronnie. We watched the Oscars and Ronnie.
Speaker 2: Was like four and a half when she met Cynthia. We met in a restaurant in London and we were talking. But Ronnie will never forget her because of her nails, her nails and her piercings.
Speaker 3: You know, she was just so loved her outfit.
Speaker 1: I asked her, I asked her if she could roll out pie cross.
Speaker 2: Oh, my gosh, I can, I can roll out crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sitting with our guest who has kind of a beautiful almost a pale magenta nail polish with many diamonds on each.
Speaker 3: One, very very dim.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fabulous.
Speaker 2: So Ronnie's obsessed with Cynthia. But at the oscars that note you know, the end of wicked, you know of defined gravity, Ronnie is belting out and hits it right on key. Oh right, I'm gonna I'll play it for you.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 3: She is definitely got music.
Speaker 1: She's just she's gonna say musical thing.
Speaker 3: Six and a half.
Speaker 1: Oh boy.
Speaker 2: My middle son is a brilliant drummer and is one of those types of brains that can pick up any instrument and start playing it right away and figure it out, which is I'm very envious of. And my son Rider is a taste maker in terms of music, like plays the guitar, has a wonderful voice, great tone, and and loves like has just great taste in music. Is the kind of person who like finds things that nobody's heard of and sends them to me.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, you should be an an r right.
Speaker 2: Music business and our discovering talent, you know. Yeah, so they're all really musical.
Speaker 1: So you work with my friend Jason Owen.
Speaker 3: Yes, Jason's my manager.
Speaker 1: My music managers your music.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so so Jason manages me and Jake who's here backing as well.
Speaker 1: So now you have your brother Oliver, yes, and you have a podcast we do.
Speaker 2: It's called Sibling Revelry, and we explore sibling relationships. And it kind of started as like, Okay, let's just this could be fun, you know, years ago, and then it just took off and we love it. We love doing it. It keeps us totally.
Speaker 1: We do one.
Speaker 3: We do about fifty a year.
Speaker 1: That's a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we we do quite a bit.
Speaker 1: All of it is a little bit more and it's sort of an open ended so since there are so many sibling rival reasons yeah, in the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I really do. We also go into other things, you know, we interview people that inspire us. And because our sibling dynamic is so crazy and Oliver is just hilarious and nobody makes me laugh like Olie, and so we also like, as you know, when you you have to open things up a little bit, and you can't always get siblings. So We also bring on people that we are inspired by and kind of you know, talk to them about their family dynamic.
Speaker 3: It's so much fun. I love talking to people.
Speaker 1: Well, obviously you look at you. She's a very talkative person. I am a very smiling and beautiful person.
Speaker 3: I don't know what it is.
Speaker 2: Everybody's like, God, don't you hate doing press? I'm like, no, because I love people. Are you still cooking?
Speaker 1: Sorry?
Speaker 3: I'm now always yet cooking all the time?
Speaker 1: Not all the time. I mean, if I want to eat, I have to cook.
Speaker 3: Okay, I don't have a cook And what so you don't No?
Speaker 1: No, yeah, I don't have a cook in my house. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm like that too.
Speaker 1: If I have a big party, I'll have I'll have Pierre, my chef who runs a catering business. Okay, but no, no, I call I call him, I say, come on, we want to do dinner for thirty.
Speaker 3: And what about your like, what do you do your garden all the time? And do you do it or do.
Speaker 1: I was in the garden this morning. I'm restoring a pond right now, which you would love. It's a beautiful old pond on my property, not too big. We've lined the whole edges with stone. We've we've taken all the all the leaves from I don't think it's ever been cleaned for one hundred years, this pond, so we've cleaned it all out. I want it for my geese. I have a world collection of geese. So I have every geese from many countries.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, and they're beautiful.
Speaker 1: And I want them to have their own ponds.
Speaker 3: So you don't have dogs. Oh yes, they don't eat your geese. Yes, that's what mind you.
Speaker 1: But they must say that's why the geese are in one place.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: I wanted to ask you this too, because you started acting at such a young age. What was your first first job?
Speaker 2: My first, I actually got a part in Party of Five. I played this guest starring role who took Nev Campbell's boyfriend kind of away from her, you know, And that was my first gig. I was sixteen. But then I finished school and then I went at eighteen, actually got into NYU and begged my parents to defer for a year to see if I could start acting, and then I just started getting part So my first my first role was this movie called Desert Blue, and then two hundred Cigarettes, which was it's actually kind of became a bit of a cult classic. It's this big ensemble movie about New Year's Eve, and like Elvis Costello's has a cameo in it, and it's like Ben Affleck, Martha Plimpton and Christina Ricci and Casey Affleck and Paul run All teen Dave Chappelle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, boy, yeah, well too. I was a excitor.
Speaker 1: I have to see this. I haven't seen it.
Speaker 3: It's a fun one.
Speaker 2: And actually j Moore, who's now married to Jeanie Buss, the president of the Lakers, is the guy that I'm on the date with in two hundred Cigarettes.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: And at the time, I was eighteen or nineteen, so it's one of my first things I'd ever done.
Speaker 3: And then almost famous, really, I.
Speaker 1: Mean there was, and then you go and make almost famous and you get a golden globe. Yeah, so amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was really your mother must have been so proud. They were so excited and also nervous. I think that it happened so quick. You know, I was twenty one, you know, getting nominated. Yes, yeah, I think they were just wanted to make sure that they were just hoping I think deep down they were just hoping that I kind of wouldn't win everything because they want wanted me to have a long career, you know, and sort of like.
Speaker 3: You know, coming in soon, too soon. Yeah, And I don't believe in that, you don't know.
Speaker 1: I think the more you can get, the better. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm kind of with you on that one. But at the time, I feel like it was such a different era and people who got like Oscar is really young ended up not really having.
Speaker 2: A statistically a long career. So I think they were just a little bit concerned there. But I lost, so it all turned out okay, But.
Speaker 1: Then you got another Golden Globe, and didn't you get an Oscar?
Speaker 2: I got was nominated for and I won the Golden Globe Best Supporting Actress. Yeah, and then I got and then I was nominated for an Oscar and then I was nominated for a Globe another time as well.
Speaker 1: Well that's great for a young actress.
Speaker 2: Yes, and then I and then I kind of smise, look and I think about my career and I'm just so grateful that it's been so long. I've had such a long career so far, you know, because it doesn't that's rare. Adrian Brodie was saying that on the stage ony one, you do realize acting is different. It's part of the reason why I started at business is that there's a lot of power that doesn't exist that you can't hold as an actor because you're kind of a hired gun.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: It's like they either want you or they don't, and you're sort of at the whim of if there, if it's something they're into. So starting a business for me was like my way of taking a little bit of control of my life, right.
Speaker 1: And being independent of the forces that you couldn't control. Yeah, and that's terribly important. But you're telligent enough and knowledgeable enough to be able to do that, and that's really great, and that you can concentrate that you can find the time to do it. And how many do you have? Four children? And how many husbands have you had?
Speaker 3: One? But I've been but I have three three dads.
Speaker 1: Okay, oh, that's right, you have more dads than you have husbands. That's right.
Speaker 2: I was married once, yeah, and then then I met Bing's father and then that didn't work out, and I'm with now I'm with my third baby daddy and we're doing great.
Speaker 1: So far, so good husbands. I count those.
Speaker 3: It really.
Speaker 2: Husbands, and we're in it together. You know, we've got such a really strong unit. It's really I've surprised myself, you know. And being able to like continue having such a great connection with the family is like the whole family, including my exes and their partners.
Speaker 3: It's it's it is actually great is because there's a positive to it.
Speaker 2: It's like they have so much family, there's so I mean, they've got multiple grandma's, multiple grandpas, multiple dads and mom.
Speaker 1: And then they'll pick and choose who they really really connected, yeah, and kind of forge those relationships.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's interesting, and I think a lot of it does come from being able to separate your personal experiences with your chilled with what's best for your kids.
Speaker 1: You know. So your kids range from six to what.
Speaker 3: To twenty one?
Speaker 1: Twenty?
Speaker 3: That's good having kids. My entire adult life, I was super young with brighter for this day and age. It was very young, and I'm so happy I did it. You know, Like I think everybody thought I was nuts, but I didn't think I was nuts. And now in retrospect, I wasn't.
Speaker 1: A twenty one year old, which is so fun. So your mom is an amazing comedic actress. Did she teach you how to be funny or you just funny?
Speaker 2: Oh she's much goofier, she's much sillier. Yeah, for sure. I'm much more serious of a person. I think and controlled.
Speaker 1: You're taller than your mom.
Speaker 3: I'm taller than my mom, although my mom's at the other day She's like, no, it's not fair. I shrunk.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: I have always been a little taller than mom. We have the same size foot. We have the same looking foot, like it's literally identical. We have an identical foot, which is so cute. And then she got a tattoo. I got a star on my tattoo, and for her sixtieth birthday, she got a heart where my star is on her foot.
Speaker 3: And so when we put our feet together, they look exactly the same. She has a heart, And is.
Speaker 1: That your only tattoo?
Speaker 3: That's it?
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 3: I was a whimp. It was wastty much bigger. And then I got one star, and I'm like, I'm out. No. My boys love tattoos.
Speaker 1: They do. They're getting tattooed all over.
Speaker 2: Riders got quite a few I'm just like, just stay away from the neck, you know, neck down.
Speaker 3: Just help me out. I don't want face tattoos, please.
Speaker 2: Rider got a tattoo that I hate so much that it was where I drew the line. I'm like, nope, that's coming off. And he was like, Mom, you can't said private.
Speaker 3: No, No, it's this terrible tattoo on his calf. It's like a scribble. And I was like, no, it's a terrible tattoo. It's so bad that it's where I draw a line as a mother, I don't care that you're an adult. It's gotta go and he's gonna get it taken on.
Speaker 1: You're one of the memorable leading ladies of the rom calumn genre. I guess. And what kind of movies do you like to watch yourself? What do you watch?
Speaker 3: I like period pieces?
Speaker 1: What about? What about this? The last slew of weird movies that were nominated for Oscars?
Speaker 3: No, there's just something you said weird.
Speaker 1: No, there's an editorial Times a Day, and I totally agree with it. Tell me it's about how where where are the movies? They're all so weird?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's well because because the industry is changing It's like, you know, you either have these very small indie movies that sort of break out or you have these monster, big, you know film you know, so there's like no in between, not much like what not in between.
Speaker 3: Because no one's investing in the like, you know, forty five million dollar movies.
Speaker 1: In between? Is White Lotus?
Speaker 3: Yeah, or a Stranger Things? In between? Isn't know what it's called in between.
Speaker 1: I got a call. I got a call last week from my granddaughter who is now thirteen, and she said, Stranger Things is going to be on Broadway? Can you get tickets? Oh?
Speaker 3: Is it? Is it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? It opens and I think it's April. That's exciting at April twenty second or something. And so I got her opening night tickets because Netflix is producing it.
Speaker 3: Oh how fun?
Speaker 1: So she and so she she knows all those things ahead of time because she's very into music and drama and all that.
Speaker 3: Did you see any of the movies?
Speaker 1: Oh? I saw, I saw every single one.
Speaker 3: What was your favorite?
Speaker 1: The Brutalist?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean too.
Speaker 1: I loved and I love. He's my neighbor.
Speaker 3: Oh he's Oh he's there too.
Speaker 1: Yeah. He lives around the corner with missus Chapman. I know they are lovely.
Speaker 3: I know there's I'm so an Adrian forever.
Speaker 1: We watched we watched three and a half hours with a dinner break at a friend's house.
Speaker 3: Isn't it great?
Speaker 1: Oh it's so great.
Speaker 3: I could watch that.
Speaker 1: And he is a superior actor.
Speaker 3: Phenomenal period And that film is fantastic.
Speaker 1: And I and although I loved the Bob Dylan movie with Timothy.
Speaker 3: Complete Unknown is ever the cutest.
Speaker 1: Oh, he's so cute. I can't I don't like the mustache. Oh, I like, I don't like it. I do.
Speaker 2: But you know what I was thinking about him last night. He he's so fun and he's got this like that youthful energy that he's such an easy target for people to like kind of make fun with. But he's such a great sport, comes from like stock, Yes, you know, And but I like that he I think that sometimes people think that acting is like just happens instead of instead of the art form and being in pursuit.
Speaker 1: He's made us, he's made us understand. He said he's worked on that movie for five years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I and yeah, and.
Speaker 1: I can see that. I can see it. I mean, I love Bob Dylan.
Speaker 3: So he's my number one? Is he number one?
Speaker 1: He was my number one for a long time. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Bob's whole thing is just what an incredible like what an incredible magical human he is, you know, like he's just magic to me. And I got the luck of being able to be on tour with him with my ex husband, really yeah, because my ex husband was on tour, and then we did a bunch of they did a bunch of gigs like together. Did you like Anura? Did you see it?
Speaker 1: You know? I didn't like Nora interesting. I didn't like it at all.
Speaker 3: There were a lot of people who felt that way.
Speaker 1: I just like the story. I didn't. I didn't like anything.
Speaker 3: You should do you should do movie reviews. I should it would be so that that would be fine. Everybody would be like terrified, they'd.
Speaker 1: Be like, I loved it.
Speaker 3: Wasn't it so great?
Speaker 1: Oh? I was a Tell Your Ride and watched it there with all of them, everybody who was in so I met all the whole cast. I just loved it. Oh, it was amazing. And I was glad for Zoe to get her kid. I really was. She is some actress. I love her and the Lioness. So I just worked with your co star Matthew McConaughey, Oh you did, I did. I did a super Bowl commercial.
Speaker 3: How was that? Was he wild?
Speaker 1: He's got me scared actually, because I mean, oh my god, yeah, he scared me. And I'm there. I am I'm a board member. I'm a board member of the of Uberges. Yes. And did you see the commercial? Yeah, I'm the one. I'm the one who is making the sod. Yes. And so Matthew to get into characters, he had to play many characters in that commercial.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So he is a method actor of like I think commercials, no of I mean like just life. Yeah, of characters because he had to pay play ten characters, and and he got into each character in a like it took takes him about fifteen minutes to get makes.
Speaker 3: A weird sound.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, you do that.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Oh it makes the sounds oh yeah.
Speaker 1: Grunts, grunting and breathing, jump yeah, and jumping up and down. And that scared me.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Oh yeah, you get used to it. I bet after like the first couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: You probably want You just wanted to tell him to shut the hell out.
Speaker 3: You just wait he wait for him his warm up. But work with Oh, yeah, we have some fun when we're working. It's been a long time.
Speaker 1: I watched that How To Lose a Guy in ten years. I thought that was really good.
Speaker 3: It's O thanks. I love that movie.
Speaker 2: So McConaughey is like one of the most fun people to work with for me because energetically we're both very competitive and so we have this like thing when we're working together that's really fun.
Speaker 3: It's really good, kind of.
Speaker 1: Like to one like, yeah, who has more energy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and also we're both, you know, very flirtatious, so you know.
Speaker 1: You get that from him. Boy, he's he's fabulous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean he's super charismatic.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Is there anything that you haven't done in your career that you hope to do?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: What's a dream project? What haven't you done?
Speaker 2: A lot of things? I really want to direct, That's something I've always wanted to do. I really want to write a musical. Yeah, I love fun.
Speaker 3: I really love to do that.
Speaker 2: And you're like, you really are one of my heroes. Like I have this domestic sound of me where it comes to like but but but a creative domestic side, whether it's like lifestyle that I love that I still don't feel like I've tapped into, you know that at some point I want to figure out what that really looks like, you know, because I just.
Speaker 1: I love, like, what kind of architecture do you like?
Speaker 2: I'm a bit I'm oh, I mean it's endless, but I'm a big like English tutor. Oh really yeah, I like very traditional architecture. But then there's another side of me that also likes the more like hippie kind of sort of Grecian Mediterranean style.
Speaker 1: When I saw that room in the Brutalist, that first room that he designed, oh I ah, the soul I want, No, I really want. That room wasn't an amazing library that he designed in that house in Pennsylvania.
Speaker 3: But see, I really appreciate that because that to me feels very Bohemian, right because you have these sort of like incredible like this incredible light in this old house, yes, with this kind of mid century expression, gantiful.
Speaker 2: And I and I love table settings. My daughter one time said that's what she wanted to be when she when she was like five, she wanted to be a table set up.
Speaker 3: How I'm going to be a table set up or what do you mean when you grow up? Ronnie a table setup r because.
Speaker 1: She just she like she loves the landscape.
Speaker 3: Oh and she loves like brunch, big brunch tables with like little pots of things everywhere.
Speaker 1: How do you manage the family while you're off shooting a ten week program?
Speaker 3: I mean that's hard.
Speaker 1: That is hard, you know.
Speaker 3: I think now that they're a little bit older, it's a little bit easier. Ronnie comes with me, she does. Yeah, I'll bring Ronnie if I'm gone for more homeschool four days, No, but if I'm gone for more than four or five days, I'll bring her with me. And then that will change when she gets a little bit older.
Speaker 1: Yeahs like she could still do that. And when they get into like, no, seventh grade again, they don't want to no, and it's not the one that they don't want to miss school.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, right now, we've been dealing with the fires. We are in the Palisades, so we kind of were out of the area for a long time.
Speaker 3: We're just going to be able to go back soon.
Speaker 1: Where have you been living all over?
Speaker 2: Like we've been living in a hotel, We were living in a you know, we've been trapped.
Speaker 3: So I took the kids with me on this press tour because.
Speaker 1: And your dog.
Speaker 2: The dogs are at this woman's house, who's amazing, and she's been but I miss I mean, it's it's definitely been a very bizarre couple months for our family, very sad. We're lucky that our house is still there, but it's still just a complete adjustment to a new a new.
Speaker 1: Whole new thing. And I liked that on the oscars they were asking for people to be charitable still to do the victims of the of the fighters. I thought that was very good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's I think sometimes because do you think it's la and it's all only fancy people, But it's not. You know, it's a big, really large community, generational, right you know who's the crew on the movies? Yeah, it's all every you know the people that also have had houses that.
Speaker 3: Have been sort of you know, inherited. And when will.
Speaker 1: We see you on screen with your mother?
Speaker 3: Oh? Everyone always asks that, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know, I mean or Kurt Russell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean Kurt, I love my I love Paus so much. He's he's actually working with my brother right now. Yeah, because they do Godzilla together, oh for Apple and and they just went back and did their season two and not I do get a little jealous.
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh fun. I got to work with my dad on Deepwater Horizon, but we.
Speaker 2: Didn't we didn't have any scenes to get with, like one little moment together. And then I directed him in a short that I directed years ago, so that was really fun. And Kurt is just I just he's my Even if he wasn't my father, he would probably still be one of my favorite actors of all time. And I have so much respect for his craft and hiss like what he's put out in the world.
Speaker 1: It's just so so well. I've kept you over time that and it's a very nice conversation. Thank you very much and a pleasure to talk to you. Be sure everyone to watch Running Point on Netflix now and follow at Kate Hudson on Instagram.
Speaker 3: Thanks for Marta