Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's Covino and rich In for DP Day three of the Dan Patrick Patrick which means a few things. We're gonna have some fun and you don't have to deal with us after today. Okay, unless you watch it, because we're on from five to seven on the East Monday through Friday, two to four on the West nationwide, like the Warehouse on Fox Sports Radio, Covino and Rich Everything at Covino and Rich and we're streaming live at Covino and Rich FSR.
Speaker 3: Hopefully everyone's having a good week. Maybe you're having like a PCA type of week. Maybe maybe you're having a walk off Cubbies type of week.
Speaker 2: He's so hot right now. He's like Hansel and we're gonna talk about him. And we're joined by a legend today, yesterday, a few legends Frank Callendo and I don't know, Drew Brees, Hall of Famer, today hip hop legend superstar ice Cube, say Rich ice Cube, ice peas ice Cube, we'll be here on the show. I want I do have to address with him. You have to calling him iced Tea instead of ice Cube. Early in my radio career, was one of my biggest flubs.
Speaker 4: It was just the flub. Let me. I'll defend you here. We grew up.
Speaker 2: Watching ice Cube, listening to ice Cube, knowing ice Cube. I know Rich, there's no way anyone under the moon in our age range, or anyone who worked in music for that matter too, didn't know who ice Cube was. But Rich called them iced Tea and it set the tone for like a really awkward moment. You know who you're talking to. I thought he was going to get up and slat Rich.
Speaker 3: Well, today I'm wearing my ice Cube Iced Tea shirt where it's.
Speaker 4: Uh, that'll help you with your confusion.
Speaker 3: Why did I do that? And it looked like vanilla ice? Oh my goodness, this is confuci ice Cube.
Speaker 4: On the show. So I got it right.
Speaker 3: And we'll hear from Patrick Renna and Danielle Fischel to Panga. They're in a new show called Dugout Dads, which is going to be awesome. It looks fantastic shore about you if you're living that world of coaching and parenting. We'll catch up with them and you'll hear that entire interview on our bonus pot tomorrow. But we'll hear from them, So it's gonna be an action packed show. First hour, we got to talk fights. And then there's a company that went out of business finally, And I think the biggest question is is there one person on the planet Earth that thought they were still operating? And that company is Columbia House. I feel like your mom was still a member rich My mom paid for her AOL I think until like five years ago. And that's exactly why I believe he still buys her CDs from Columbia House. Well, you know what everyone else is talking about fights, I'm cool talking about Columbia House. I wanted to talk about fight and fighting. We'll get the fighting and friction fighting. We'll get to fighting.
Speaker 2: And by the way, there is a big fight this weekend and I'll tell you all about that. We'll get the fights and football. But Columbia House just to switch it up and have some fun. I think we all remember the days of Columbia House. Sam, you're a little bit younger. We got Samy here on the ones and twos. I remember, Okay, you do you know what?
Speaker 3: You do?
Speaker 2: Have the soul of an eighty year old white guy. So yeah, Sam is much older. His name should be like Burt or something.
Speaker 4: Sad guy Sam.
Speaker 3: It's like a young kid named Now It's made the cycle. He's like like your uncle Sam.
Speaker 4: Sam the Butcher.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Danny G are super producers here if you want to call in and chime in, chop it up at eight seven, seven ninety nine on Fox and again. We are streaming live, like I said, and people are chatting early in the morning. It's early here on the West Coast. Shout out to the East Coast and everybody in between. At Covino and Rich FSR. I was a big Columbia house kid because think about the radio come up. It's not the same for all people, but I know Danny G and I especially Rich is just a ham who wanted to entertain and be on the mic. It was our love of music that brought us down this path. Right for the most part, right start.
Speaker 5: Reading song lyrics, Yeah, from actual CD you know inserts.
Speaker 2: I was spending my hard earned Bennigan's money waiting tables, serving turkeyo tools and samplers waiting tables and then immediately going to Sam Goodie or the Wiz or you know, even when I was younger, crazy Eddy because the prices were insane and you would buy CDs, but then you realized there was something called Columbia House, and dude, I was all about it, because, like I said, I grew up loving music just as much as I loved sports and collecting baseball cards. I loved getting CDEs, opening up the jewel cases, you know, reading the if they had lyrics, and really diving into those albums.
Speaker 4: It was the same for me.
Speaker 3: Still, I still remember the gimmick twelve CDs for a penny.
Speaker 4: Everybody remembers.
Speaker 3: But here's the question. I mean, you should who ever paid nowadays, your kid gets an app on their iPad, or you accidentally say, oh, let me get this editing app or you know, this cool little game or something on my phone, and what happens is, even if the free trial you forget, because your credit card is linked to your Apple pay and your iTunes and everything. So they always got you on the hook. Now, because you can't do Jack Diddley squat without giving some type of information, whether it's a streaming app or anything, so you're on the hook for everything. In fact, you get schemed because sometimes even if you want to cancel something, they have your info for payment back. Then it was in good faith that some week ass teenagers were gonna pay you that fat blue envolope. I don't know remember one person. Let me just describe the scene, and let's say I we're all on the same page. Let's take it back the year. It was nineteen ninety something.
Speaker 4: I don't know. You know, it's wild riches.
Speaker 2: It does deserve explanation because there are people that don't remember because they're too young maybe or too old.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I don't know, too old perhaps. In fact, there's a big window of people that people told me like, just forget everything about their past, and they need a reminder. People that are like, yo, dude, do you remember?
Speaker 4: Of course I remember? Did you get dropped on your head? How did you forget?
Speaker 5: I don't think too old is a possibility, because those people back then were the ones yelling at us, like, my mom, you better pay that it keeps coming in the mail.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, you're absolutely right, rich. Anyone too old is probably gone by now, because Columbia House is shutting down after seventy one years.
Speaker 4: Right, so it's been around a long ass time.
Speaker 3: How is it still operate? I don't know.
Speaker 4: I was shocked. I was more shot.
Speaker 3: They heard of something called I don't know, Spotify, Apple Music.
Speaker 4: iHeart they did transition their business.
Speaker 3: I know one guy working in one office. I just gave you the options. You're streaming on Spotify. You love serious XM, you got the iHeart app. You have Apple Music like they're like purchasing music in any other capacity? Like what was even their business model? What was the business model for Kobe House? I didn't look it up because I didn't know want I don't want to know. What could it possibility? The clue.
Speaker 2: I didn't know it existed until I saw this story. He ranted stores after seventy one years. Here were the rules back of the day. The penny deal.
Speaker 3: Twelve cassettes or compact discs CDs everyone for one penny, plus a very high shipping and handling cost. The commitment you agreed with no binding contract other than like you could. You could have been living in your college fratthouse and been like, oh yeah, my name's Seymour.
Speaker 6: Months people, I remember you miss these days of being like an anonymous consumer.
Speaker 3: I had buddies that would make up ten different fake names and just have They would do this ten times. The scammerroo, you get one hundred and twenty CDs. All right, So you asked the question though, and I have a confession. I guess okay, Well consider me the usher of the show. He's ay his cam fashions. Did you get that one for a penny? So you agreed to a specific number of items, usually six to eight CDs or cassettes, for a regular price of fourteen to eighteen dollars, and you had to buy six to eight within a year.
Speaker 4: But with that you got the twelve free each month.
Speaker 3: Called me a house mailed you a selection of the month card, like a little pamphlet, but no one ever paid. You'd get the twelve for a penny, and then you'd be like, you know now, my name is Stevemour Johnson, and you'd get twelve more for a penny, and everyone Johnson, but that was your name in the nineties.
Speaker 4: But I just wonder who paid.
Speaker 5: Well, somebody paid because their business was worth millions and millions of dollars.
Speaker 3: Well, when you say to pay or not to pay, I think of you to pay for sure, to pay, to pay Rich Davis to oh man, he's here, Actually he's not, he's here.
Speaker 4: Just today, guys tricks.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to distract you from the confession because I know the joke is, and nobody paid. Nobody paid. Rich was doing a stand up back everyone be like, yeah.
Speaker 7: Know what paid?
Speaker 3: Am I right? What the truth is? I paid? My god, truth is like I was fooled on this scam. But you meaning, like you know, you did pay a penny. That was it.
Speaker 2: You paid a penny, but then you were responsible. You got twelve CDs. I think you left that like one nugget of the deal.
Speaker 3: You got your twelve CDs for a penny, and you got your CNC Music Factory.
Speaker 5: The selection was so bad for hip hop and R and B. You got some you know, like surface level that it was like Bobby Brown on No Tupac. It was like Bobby Brown stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely, very very very having a Rony Greatest Hits. I got a lot of CDs from this, so I used it, but I used it the proper way.
Speaker 4: So you would get your twelve you'd be so pumped about it.
Speaker 3: He put it in your little case alphabetically, and then you were responsible for like six to eight at regular price.
Speaker 4: So I would buy those six and you had.
Speaker 3: Like there was no time limit that I remember, or that I remember stressing me out, but I remember, Wow, now I gotta buy six for like for fourteen to eighteen bucks, like you said, because the shipping was so high, and you know, I did it because I feel like I felt like a guilt of like I had to. But Cavino's the guy that but I did pay, you know, is the guy that if you buy him and my mom probably was like, it's gonna affect your credit, you idiots.
Speaker 4: Or something like that.
Speaker 3: He's like oddly responsible and it's not a bad thing. But like, Cavino's the type of guy.
Speaker 4: That I did.
Speaker 3: I don't want to owe anyone nothing like this morning.
Speaker 4: He probably already ven mo me. I already did like for his coffee because.
Speaker 3: I don't want to owe anyone anything. I don't like that he felt like a weird guilt to klubbe house. But I did get my twelve. I did buy my six or whatever you were obligated for after and then I probably got you know, another twelve somehow, So I did finagle the system. They probably have a picture of you at headquarters. But I thank this guy, you know, hey, you know I'm here to announce that I've kept him in business for seventy one years up until now the last member. Because you know, it's another funny question. What do you think was the last CED you bought?
Speaker 2: Because when you bought actual cts, remember they came in at long, rectangular waste of cardboard. Remember they came in like this.
Speaker 4: Long lard blastic plastic cases like.
Speaker 2: All plastic cases. What was the last CD you bought? You actually bought? I have no idea.
Speaker 5: By the way, they transitioned their business in nineteen ninety seven to DVDs.
Speaker 4: They had a DVD club.
Speaker 5: I now look, by twenty fifteen they filed a chapter eleven.
Speaker 3: Did anyone else you speak of dv like, we'll switch to another kind of disc that will go out of business. Did you ever back in the day go to like best Buy or Circuit City, but mostly best Buy. I would buy mediocre movies for five dollars just because I wanted to fill up my sweet ced?
Speaker 4: Was my sweet a brag or a flexes?
Speaker 8: Like?
Speaker 4: You know, say you had to display your scarfaced DVD?
Speaker 5: What color wood was your wreck? Was it the blonde wood or the dark I had.
Speaker 3: The I had like a kind of stain. Did you like a middle wavy one?
Speaker 4: I was gangster, almost black and crisp, and it looks sweet. Guys, you guys were modern.
Speaker 2: You had to have the seven bro crates. You had like the light the light woods, like I had a milk crazy. You had to assemble yourself, Danny.
Speaker 3: Danny probably had remember those brown VHS holders that you would pull like little dolls.
Speaker 4: Nos.
Speaker 5: Right, we had my older brother and I had milk crates filled with CDs and cassettes.
Speaker 4: Well albums would be and album yeah final. But Sam, you brought up the DVDs.
Speaker 3: I remember going to like because best Buy would have average, Like I remember by movies like Steak Out Too with Rosie o'donald for five dollars, because what be the most bunk, weak ass movies. But when you were like like in your early twenties or in college, it was a cool breaking right to be like, yo, come in my apartment or door, dorm room or something else. I got the sweetest, so proud DVD.
Speaker 2: We were so proud of our setup, our collection. And that's especially they fell into a case logic binder or remember people would have I always hear stories of Dude, I never got my Remember you would have a visor thing and you'd have your CDs and the visor and little cases.
Speaker 4: Dude. Man, my girlfriend she took my CDs. I never got them back.
Speaker 3: Man, she stole my binder.
Speaker 2: So you know, are you surprised or as surprised as we were to hear that Columbia House was even still a thing. Listen with all the streamers right now, and like I said, Spotify serious ExM. iHeart all the places you could listen to music for free or a subscription.
Speaker 3: I think the reality is there's a lot less like junk space being taken up. But there was something about, like you said, a collection of CDs or DVDs. I remember going to Covino's apartment and then his tech well you can you know, had a townhouse and he had a wall, like a full wall of CDs and he had some guitars hanging on the wall. And it was almost your way of saying, like yo, I'm into music. And if you went to in your movie room or you're den you had I remember my parents in my parents' basement, outside of a sweetfish tank, my parents' basement, we had like a wall like almost like like a mini blockbuster of like old phs, tapes and DVDs, and that's that's that tangible sort of feeling though, is coming back, Like there is a pushback with the weien Neels, the younger generation who want some tangible old school of God bless them, not only CDs and DVDs, but like walkman and flip phones.
Speaker 2: And they're sort of pushing back phes. You know why though, because they do feel like something's not right with the way we're living and the way we communicate.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I read an article recently that this new generation are buying all these CDs from these used music stores, but they're having a hard time finding actual CD players.
Speaker 2: True story. And by the way, we'll take some phone calls your thoughts. On Columbia House Closing Dawn eight seven, seven ninety nine on Fox.
Speaker 3: I'm Cavino. I have a teenage daughter. She's sixteen.
Speaker 2: She already said, because I you know, you condense things as you grow. She wanted me to keep my CD case. I've kept about maybe five six hundred CDs that meant a lot to me, and I still got them in a rack. I remember, she wants them for some sort of retro room in the future, and I have I have a three hundred disc changer too, like I still have one.
Speaker 3: I remember, Daddy, because when Covino went through his divorce. Oh look, it took me sixteen minutes to bring up your ex wife. Sixteen minutes here about it. I remember when Cavino moved Do you remember about it?
Speaker 4: Tell me about my divorce, Richard.
Speaker 3: Sixteen minutes into the show. I remember when Cavino was moving out. We were good buds and went to go help him move all his stuff out of his own Billy, Joel, let me file that under j for Joel, or you would do it under Joel instead of Billy. Yeah, yeah, you got okay. But Danny Covi, I was like, yo, can you would spot help me carry my CDs? Like carry CDs? Like you need help carrying CDs? When I tell you, it was like a rickety old bookshelf.
Speaker 9: That.
Speaker 3: But when I tell you, the people can't see the window between you and I. This big, huge, monstrous class big spot has pictures of it somewhere. It was that size to the point where like three men had to like hold it on their back. It's like a moving truck. And he had not parted with those them you sell them in storage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but again I kept the ones that meant something to me because, uh, you know, it paved the way. And by the way, I was thinking about Columbia House and I got a lot of them from Columbia House. Columbia House, when you would get those twelve for the penny off the get go and then you would rip off the company, that's the that's the gimmick.
Speaker 4: That was your gimmick.
Speaker 2: It was good for getting like greatest hits, like you'd get them all at once, like yeah, like greatest hit albums that you wouldn't want to necessarily buy at the store right at the time. At the time you wanted to go get the Boys to Men album or whatever, you weren't buying the Eagles greatest hits.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, you get the Eagles' greatest hits or led Zeppelin's greatest, the Doors Greatest, all the classic rock greatest hits with Columbia House sort of to complete your collection. The collection is really the core of what we're getting at. I do miss those days, man, I really do. I think a big takeaway is that Cavino is such an honorable guy he's the guy that paid for Columbia House.
Speaker 4: I gut.
Speaker 3: Were you the guy that when did you actually make a cleet call or did you be like you have a cleec call for mom up at the ball pick me up? Or you were the guy that actually so it's dude, well here's here's I'm.
Speaker 4: Here to see.
Speaker 6: It was the guy who was paying for music when everyone else was using napster to get it for free.
Speaker 3: And he's like, I'll still pay.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you brought that up, stand because that really was the beginning of the end for the CD the MP three player, And I still remember the day radio legend Wilpin Darvis came in and he's like, it's called an m P three player.
Speaker 3: I was like, what's that?
Speaker 2: This was a nomad. This is like before the eye the iPod, and I'm like what. And that was the beginning of the end. I was still rocking my discman, and it's.
Speaker 3: A way cooler.
Speaker 4: I was still nomad.
Speaker 3: I'm walking around everywhere with my music. There's there's the spot just posted a picture on our into of me standing in front of your CD wall. No way, you guys didn't break that down.
Speaker 4: How in the world.
Speaker 3: Can you find that constreaking it?
Speaker 2: No, dude, I still have like I had, I had several racks, right, I kept one to pass down and a lot of those are autographed after working in radio for years and you know they meant a lot to me. So yeah, it's just I don't know, it's just wild looking back.
Speaker 5: By the way, if you want to see it, it is our YouTube channel, Covino and rich FSR.
Speaker 4: I love it. Bell Ad in the middle.
Speaker 2: You had the disc change with the discman, I'm sorry, the megabase you would drain batteries. You were keeping Dura Celling company listening to CDs if you had a discman, right, because you would burn through them listen to the Yeah, so you had your discman, then the MP three player. But I really believe Napster LimeWire aries wherever you were downloading your music illegally, it was the illegal mentality you developed from Columbia House to say, I'm I'm ripping them off. I might as well rip off all these other companies too. Phones are hot, I mean every line is lit up. So let's go talks of old school And.
Speaker 3: By the way, do you miss that tangible thing that it seems like Covino is saying young kids now are sort of craving a little bit, like I do want to hold a we We talked about this before.
Speaker 4: It's the same with video games.
Speaker 5: I don't like the fact that I don't have the cartridge of the video game in my Yeah.
Speaker 6: You bought an album and you had the lyrics you had, like you know, the liners and all that stuff, and look through it while you're listening.
Speaker 3: There there is something there, Like I mean, I don't want to get to so off tangent, but like even something as simple as you're in your car and you could listen to everything from Spotify to serious XM to have the iHeart app to any type of music of eye to everything right there in your console. You used to pull your stereo in and out. You would have the CD changer in your trunk. Like there used to be so much more stuff, and I sort of like no stuff.
Speaker 5: Also, there was a surprise because the songs didn't all leak all over the internet. Back then people didn't have advance copies. Only radio people had advance copies. And I remember as a kid standing in line at a warehouse music a big line of people that day Snoop Doggs first solo album came out, and it was so exciting to peel off the plat stick from it and put it in your CD player and hear these songs really truly for the first time.
Speaker 4: And you were taking a chance last time.
Speaker 5: Besides the radio single that was out, the album cuts were being heard for the first time.
Speaker 3: I agree with you, Danny, there is something we're missing. Like it's that feeling of like you could sit on your couch and you could go through Apple TV, Hulu, net Sex Paramount, every HBO Max, but like there was still something that you sort of miss about, like walking around Blockbuster, right, it was you'd be like, but you had to get up, get your car, go there, come back.
Speaker 4: But there was something hidding me.
Speaker 2: The lost you can playlists, I got a ton of them, but the lost art of going to the CD store, making a playlist, you know, giving it to friends or girls or women you.
Speaker 4: Cared about, Right, that was part of the routine.
Speaker 2: And like Rich said, it's why kids are yearning for a little more, And that's why they want cameras again, and even disposable cameras, and they want tangible because they feel like they've missed out on it, and they have and yeah, it's a weird, weird story where Columbia House is done after seventy one years today, who knew it was even still around?
Speaker 3: Hilarious on the local news end of an era. They're actually doing this on the local news Columbia House because everyone remembers. I let's go to all your feedback, dandy, who do you want to start with?
Speaker 4: Let's speaking of snoop Dog. Let's start in the LBC Jeff.
Speaker 3: Jeff, Columbia House resides. What's up?
Speaker 7: Hey, guys, I'm a majority stockholder in Columbia House. Do you think it's time to sell because.
Speaker 3: House?
Speaker 7: Columbia House or Amazon? And I think I made the right choice, all right? The checkers not yess? I'm smart guy. Hey, I have a question. Was your Scarface DVD next to the totally awesome Spacoli poster? And can I just tell you my most embarrassing Columbia House CD that I got in the mail? And I don't want you to make fun of me. I'm very sensitive.
Speaker 3: What is it I got?
Speaker 7: I got Natalie Merchants Tiger Lily sent to my dorm in college.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine being like, what, hey, bro, what do you got nothing?
Speaker 7: Oh no, I left it out for the girls, thinking you don't want to make out with me because I was sensitive. And that's why my milk crate was showed with My milk crate was showed with VHS because you get in the back of the video where you go through the beating section.
Speaker 3: So like you throw your going into a saloon.
Speaker 4: Right, that's a funny, great call, Joe.
Speaker 3: So let's take one more for now, Danny, I know everyone, We'll get to everyone.
Speaker 4: Let's take one more.
Speaker 2: I do love that thought of the beaded section of the video store or the saloon doors.
Speaker 3: You go in here, you're like, whoa never go to the video store and you would see like someone's dad or a teacher or someone come so weird.
Speaker 5: I went in and I say your dad, Hey, likely all right, quickly quickly, here we got thirty seconds for you. Eddie and Indiana?
Speaker 3: What's Eddie?
Speaker 8: Hey?
Speaker 9: How are you?
Speaker 8: Man?
Speaker 3: Is this crazy? Eddie? What's up?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 8: Hey?
Speaker 9: It is crazy?
Speaker 4: Eddie.
Speaker 8: Hey, listen, I just I know I'm not few years older the most of you guys. I'm in my early fifties. But hey, so the Columbia House thing. What I remember as a kid, you had a place on the little like postcard type thing you mailed in and it's had a fixed penny here. You literally would take the penny to the thing mailing it. Do you remember that?
Speaker 4: Hilarious?
Speaker 3: You say yes, yeah, so fun.
Speaker 4: That is wild.
Speaker 3: They must have had some tax code for write offs because there was no way like for losses, you know what I'm saying, Like for all the people that didn't pay, they must have had some tax code where they were able to rebound some of those losses.
Speaker 2: You know what, though, Rich, We're gonna have to add Columbia House to the conversation of man Blockbuster really blew it. They could have add Netflix because Columbia House was ahead of their time of we want to get music into the hands of people. Like, how were they not the next Columbia House Camezon, you have something else right like you and kidd, they were ahead of the game and we all knew it.
Speaker 3: We all did it.
Speaker 4: For me.
Speaker 2: The one that comes to mind is like see and see music Factory for real, Like we have embarrassing CDs that we got because there was a penny who cared imbarssing.
Speaker 3: I love seeing music. I mean I liked it too. In fact, show that up for our way back Sam. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But the fact that it was around for seventy one years and done today. It's one of those things that make you go, hmm, good one. Who is buying this stuff? Still? All your feedback next, phones are hot. Love the feedback in for the great Dan Patrick, More Covino and Rich and Columbia House Next on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 10: This is Rob Parker, and I'm here with an important public service announcement. Whatever you do, do not listen to the Paulie and Tony Fusco Show. Fox Sports Radio asked me to do a promo, but I'm here to do a no mo, as in, don't listen to this show, no mo. The host are two fools from Philly who have the dumbest takes ever in all of sports talk. And you know, if I'm saying that, they must really be bad. I have no idea why Fox Sports Radio picked this up, but I know where to put it down.
Speaker 3: In the trash can.
Speaker 10: So please please don't listen to the Paulie and Tony Fusco show.
Speaker 3: No way, no how.
Speaker 4: This is why you got to watch the show.
Speaker 2: Watch what you hear right now because you're missing out on Iowa, Sam's dance moves. Okay, Covino and rich In for the great Dan Patrick. Here is the Dome back with the bass. The jam is live in a fifth and I don't waste time.
Speaker 4: Dome. You got the dome, rich got the Dome.
Speaker 3: There's a reason Michael Scott picked this song.
Speaker 6: Get everybody to come down to Cafe Disco because it gets you going this hour.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I got this for a penny bro beat that deal.
Speaker 3: This still would slap at a wedding, a party, a bar, anything who does like c and see music Factor. So it's Cavino and rich and for DP. We got Danny g on the phones at eight seven seven ninety nine one Box and we're gonna get to all your phone calls. The most interactive show on radio, most inclusive, and Sam on the ones and twos with his dance moves.
Speaker 2: Thanks for all your feedback. Now, lots of cool guests this week. I want to thank Marvin Marvin of the Dan That's Not Buy On Monday, yes yesterday we had.
Speaker 3: Drew Brees, Hall of Famer doctor Drew Brees.
Speaker 4: That was a lot of fun. Said he wanted to be the next Ken Griffy Junior.
Speaker 2: We had master impressionist Frank Caliendo yesterday. So if you missed any of that, catched a podcast search Covino in Rich again. You can watch it on YouTube and today hip hop legend speaking to music in Columbia House ice Cube will be on the show, not ice Tea Rich ice Cube, get it right now, Vanilla ice Bro, ice.
Speaker 3: Cube will be here and we're gonna hear from the Great Hambino, the Great Hambino.
Speaker 2: We only bring you the best this guy. How many home runs did he hit, the Great Hambino more than you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Patrick, Renna, Danielle Fischer, they got that new full wonder.
Speaker 4: Rich.
Speaker 2: What qualifies these bozos to be on Fox Sports Radio. You're listening to the guy me Cavino, twenty seven little league home runs? Oh that's in my little league career over the fence, because it doesn't count.
Speaker 4: If it wasn't, his life was all downhill from there.
Speaker 3: You're absolutely right, glad you peaked to twelve.
Speaker 2: If you want to bring the Great Hambino here, I say the Great Covino is better, but Hambino will be here. And Danielle Fischel to Panga. So lots of people stopping by, but thank you for being here. And we're gonna get to some foosball. Yeah, we're gonna talk fire or friction, Like, how do you feel rich if you're two hundred million dollar?
Speaker 4: Qb bo Nix was in a melee? You're cool with that. I'm cool.
Speaker 3: I love the fact to use the word melee. That's first time you've ever said that word. Yeah, you like that one melee? Actually I said tussle.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Let's scrum a little, a little scrum a little, you know, because there's been a lot of fire at all these camps, a lot.
Speaker 3: Of fighting, fighting, a lot of fighting, and.
Speaker 4: It's like, show.
Speaker 2: Is that good or is that bad for the team chemistry? Like and you're seeing it on hard Knocks and everything.
Speaker 3: You Bruce Bluffer is gonna pop up and be like fighting every single camp.
Speaker 4: So we'll get to fighting. We gotta talk about that.
Speaker 3: But let's take a couple of quick final phone calls on Columbia House a part of the nine A part of I mean, I mean it was around for seventy one years, but I picture CDs in the nineties twelve for a penny no one really paid. You got them delivered with fake names. Somehow they were in business until today. Done calling in New York wants to weigh in on this.
Speaker 11: Hey, Colin, you know you were talking about boys to men and like, I was definitely looking for some like like they conveyed to do, like you know, barbershop quartet type songs, you know, like that be wep style, you know, so I'm looking for that.
Speaker 9: I was looking for like you know, like Frank salone.
Speaker 11: You know, there are two kinds of love, you know, like that stuff.
Speaker 4: You know, Okay, and I really want to hold on? Can you don't give it to you?
Speaker 3: There are two cads of love that you want to know. They're two cads.
Speaker 4: You're the little pitchy dogs. But there you go, there you go.
Speaker 3: But that was fantastic.
Speaker 2: Hey, By the way, speaking of Columbia House and Frank Stalone, you better believe I truly believe that everybody had that Rocky Bolboa soundtrack. The rocky soundtrack for your mean workout when you were on Createen going to GNC in the nineties.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think all of us had that.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure I got my rocky soundtrack from Columbia House. I think that's one of the CDs that got for a penny. But if you're just joining us now, we discovered a crazy fun fact. Cavino's the one guy that actually paid I did. You got twelve for a penny? But then you were responsible? You feel weird about that?
Speaker 9: Means?
Speaker 3: Do you feel weird? Meaning like when you hear like, no, wait a minute, you guys I responsible?
Speaker 2: Were you not responsible? No, that's what I mean. I was a responsible kid, so and I'm not. I can't be the only one because they're still in business as of today. You were then responsible for about six I think six to eight at regular price, which was a jacked up price when when you don't have someone's credit card on file, no one's gonna pay. Yeah, look at it.
Speaker 3: I just saw a stat that said, you know it's talking about people in their dishonesty. Three out of ten people admit to stealing itself checkout. So I mean you talk about you, what was it. What was the number? Three out of ten people admit openly self j they steal from self checkout at the store.
Speaker 4: So three out of twelve or trash bags one out of three.
Speaker 3: So what I'm saying is, did you really expect people to buy c these when they got twelve for a penny with no credit card on file?
Speaker 4: It like, it's a true testament, true testment of your characters.
Speaker 5: Kind of the store's fault too, because we're not employees. Why are we checking ourselves out?
Speaker 3: Danny's like, and that's well, steal cookies.
Speaker 4: For oop, so you forgot to skin.
Speaker 5: No, I don't steal anything, but you know the camera and they show you on the screen.
Speaker 3: Get target.
Speaker 4: They show you the whole time. I always tell them their number.
Speaker 5: They're number one, my number one employer on the camera as I leave.
Speaker 3: You should move them, Danny g Let's bring that back. Since we're talking about the nineties.
Speaker 4: Let's wrap this topic with Jerry in Toledo. What's up, Jerry, Hey.
Speaker 1: Jerry Hey.
Speaker 9: I just wanted to say thank you guys. You guys made me left out loud when you talked about pulling out the entire radio and having the a CD player in the back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, dude, that was like, that was a different world.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: Then that turned into the detachable face. Remember you didn't have to pull out the entire thing, just the face.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 2: I had the face. I had the digital EQ, I had a ten disc blow punk.
Speaker 5: I had the one that flipped inside, and then it looked like nothing.
Speaker 3: Oh you guys, but these were bragging rights, and we were proud of those things, you know, like it was just a different time.
Speaker 4: I do miss it. I'm not gonna lie. I like moving forward, but.
Speaker 3: I do miss that because are just like your identity is so tied into a team or a sport and things like that. Our identity was so tied into that.
Speaker 2: I think how many hours you spent alphabetizing your CDs or learning the music or making copies of it.
Speaker 4: And yeah, man, it was a big deal.
Speaker 3: I rocked the car ready discman.
Speaker 6: So you'd remember, you'd have the cassette that had a little wire attached to it and then you pop that in and then you could use your discman in your car.
Speaker 3: You guys, remember that.
Speaker 4: Jerry, what are your thoughts to wrap it up? Man?
Speaker 9: Okay, Well, I was just gonna say date myself. I remember my first Columbia House order r Em out of Time, Guns n' roads, his appetite for destruction and you're seeing see music factors. Yeah, one last thing. Here's the other thing. You don't remember. There was a Laser Disc club. I know because I was a member Laser Disc remember those.
Speaker 2: That's absolutely Rich. Rich probably bought it, bought us Jock Jams from Columbia House.
Speaker 3: Damn pass being of Dan Patrick. Remember Jock Jams started Welcome to the Big Show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. Rich definitely got Jock Jams on Columbia House. But thank you guys for reminiscing. From time to time, we like to, uh take it back? Do do take it back?
Speaker 5: Oh, by the way, if you love nostalgia, Tomorrow afternoon on our usual time slot from five to seven pm on on the East coast two to four on the West side, we do old school and fifty hits.
Speaker 3: So every Thursday, take an old school topic and we reminisce a little bit, you know, once a week, throw it back. You know, it's nice to it's nice to reminis You don't want to do much of it, but nostalgia.
Speaker 4: You do it once a week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, nostalgia, Like it's really hard with our generation. I feel like if you're in that, if you're thirty something to fifty something, I know it's a big window, But I feel like if you were a kid of the eighties or nineties, there's just something so special about our childhood that feels nice to reminists. I know our parents would probably be like, well, I'll say for the fifties or sixties, but I don't know. I feel like the eighties or nineties there was just a different type of pop culture boom with music and sports and everything.
Speaker 2: But rip Columbia House seventy one years. It's like that person like they were still I didn't even know they were still alive.
Speaker 3: Wow, look at that kicking. Good for them, now Bow Nicks. As you said, what do you say a scrum, scuffle, a melee? How do you feel about all these fights at camp? How do you feel about the inter squad two team practices? And you saw it go down yesterday in multiple in multiple practice, especially the Cowboys and Saints, these inner squads are having inner squabbles. There's another one, and I don't think it's good Man again.
Speaker 4: Fire or friction?
Speaker 3: Do you like the fire. The fire's good, but not amongst teammates.
Speaker 4: I just comes And by the way, here's another thing too.
Speaker 2: We got to keep in mind these things always have happened, and now they're more magnified. So that's and you know what, it becomes a storyline. And every week now we're starting to hear stuff. So maybe it's just a matter of that, you know what. Let me leave you with this though, and we'll take your feedback next. What happened a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 3: One of the first big fights of the preseason was Max Crosby and Kirk Cousins, and perhaps not only has that been squashed, but brought the team closer together because Max Crosby put on social media a few days back, like a joking tail the tape with him and Max with that website with him and Kirk Cousins, and you know, if it's water under the bridge and it's like yo, man, I'm fiery, you're fire. You know we maybe those things are needed once in a while. I know it's usually the plotline of every sports movie, like midway through the movie, like there's a fight in the locker room or like something happens, but that fires the team up. Does that apply to real life? Do you like this or not? We'll take your feedback. Next we'll talk a bunch of NFL today and again welcomed by. We welcome ice Cube in a couple hours, so hang tight.
Speaker 9: More.
Speaker 3: Covino on wretch In for the Great Dan Patrick.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: Covino and rich In for Dan Patrick, Day three of the Dan Patrick Patrick. So, if you just joined us, man, you missed two other great shows. In my opinion, you may disagree, man, but we had a lot of fun this week. We want to thank you guys for putting I mean hanging out with us, not putting up with us.
Speaker 4: And today I'd say seven out of ten.
Speaker 2: We got ice Cube, Dude, ice Cube speaking of music. Yeah, we're gonna talk to him later on about the Big Three and of course life catch up with ice Cube, And we got the great Hambino Patrick, Renna and Danielle Fischel.
Speaker 3: You're gonna hear from them on our show. Covino and rich Danny G's here, Iowa Sam is here. Thank you guys for being here.
Speaker 2: Eight seven seven ninety nine on Fox Fire or Friction is where we're at.
Speaker 3: And we're gonna take your phone calls. I guess now it's get involved.
Speaker 2: But have you ever wiped with a piece of dry toilet paper and wondered is this as good as it gets?
Speaker 3: Let's not switched to life changing extra large flushable Dude wipes because weder just cleans better. Available at Amazon and all major retailers nationwide. Dude wipes best clean pants down now. Fighting You said it, NFL. These fights are breaking out everywhere at camps, not only just on intersquad games. Danny G. It's not just like hey, joint practices. You know, you talk about all these guys fighting for like roster spots. It's gonna get fiery, but within their own team. So that's the narrative the last few days that it's just a lot of fighting. Do you think there's something different going on? Or does this always happen? Obviously fights break out, but is it more of a thing now than before? Like, is there something in the water people stressed that outy getting people all round up? No, I think it's uh, or is it? We're just magnifying something that's always been there. Something we touched on the other day, which was back in the day, much like the NFL Draft. It used to be, you know, a bunch of guys smoking cigars in a wood panel looking basement, and now it's in a city with hundreds of thousands of people in the streets and it's a billion dollar type of thing. I think training camp was something like you heard here and there, Oh, the team's getting ready for the season. You had more preseason games and just the NFL was different. Now every camp has not only just reporters, but fans and people have access with flip camera, you know. There it's not like one person with a flip camp in the two thousands. Everyone's got their phone out. You're getting to almost two much covered. Lots of podcasters now for each team. So yeah, just overall more coverage.
Speaker 2: And the latest story is Bone Nicks was in the melee. As we said before, with the Broncos, you got your two hundred million dollars quarterback. You know, in the middle of this getting hit hard. He's getting hit hard at practice, which is a known I mean a guy that on hard knocks too.
Speaker 3: I mean a guy that you know, if he had not got hurt at the very end of the AFC Championship game, we might be I'm sorry, at the in the division. We might be seeing. You know, Bonnicks of the Super Bowl last year. You don't need that young talented guy in the middle, so he more reason to back off. And things got heated. There was a pylon.
Speaker 2: I believe Bonnicks had to pull Nick Bonita out of the pilon by the way.
Speaker 5: He pulled him out by his legs. Those two were going at it and things got superheated. That's not very Bonita and another Bronco came out of the bottom of the pile bleeding and had to leave the field.
Speaker 2: So we got the Broncos fired up again amongst each other.
Speaker 3: The Chiefs, the Raiders. We already talked about that. We talked about that last week. But you know, you gotta remember that the Cowboys.
Speaker 4: The Saint Cowboys and Saints have at least eight fights.
Speaker 3: And the Browns too.
Speaker 2: They end up practice early, right thirty minutes early, because things.
Speaker 4: Were so heated.
Speaker 5: Yet Todd and their new head coach things said things were too physical.
Speaker 3: You know, I guess it's just part of It's obviously again, we're not playing dumb here. It's obviously part of the game. But it's become a storyline. Let me, let me throw this number out there. Is it good for the team? Is really what we're asking an NFL team? According to NFL rules and roster limit breakdowns, a team could have ninety players during its training camp on the roster at any time. So you talk about ninety guys, do the math. Almost forty you're not going to make the team. So these are not all guys that know each other. We've talked to NFL players and the honest sentiment is like I don't Only some quarterbacks can name everyone on the team, and it's very rare for you to know everyone else on the team. Do you know the punter? Some people don't even know who's on the other side of the ball, Like I don't know Ef we wan on defense, I'm on offense.
Speaker 12: Hey man, Hey hey, So it's it's fifty three guys, but right now there's ninety forty are on the brink of like having to figure out what they're gonna do next.
Speaker 3: Pure you don't think there's pressure, anxiety tensions high and you're trying to get noticed, you're rich.
Speaker 4: We're seeing star players get into.
Speaker 3: The That's where it's weird. That's where like a bo Nicks needs to step back. But if you're a backup lineman Danny g and you're like, yo, it's either this or I have to get like a regular job at the store.
Speaker 4: Right, But this was their star.
Speaker 5: This is the Bronco star pass rusher getting into it, saying with you're two hundred million dollar quarterback.
Speaker 3: And then sometimes you know what a guy trying to make the team might think, I'm gonna make my impact by going at the stars to show that I'm like, you know, I'm a fiery guy. I just think that Nissent or as star players got to back away. But I can understanding, you could understand where this is. They're not all friends, that they're fighting to be on a roster, and then the reality is they're hoping, well, if it doesn't work out here, I'll be on some other teams practice squad and maybe that's my route. So we can't act like just because all these ninety guys are on the Broncos are all pals, half of them won't be there in two weeks and they're fighting each other for millions of dollars. Millions of dollars.
Speaker 2: Ta Femo Roly Romero this weekend actually not as good as the fight, all Right? How about Ryan Garcia, Connor Bennex, maybe maybe Buddy. Al Right, we got more Comino rich In for Dan Patrick next right here on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 3: A lot of NFL and ice Cube coming up,