Speaker 1: Hello and welcome to another episode of Snake's Territory, part of the Foul Territory Network. Be sure to like this video, subscribe to our YouTube channel, maybe leave us a five star review wherever you get your podcast. I am Jesse Friedman alongside Jack Summers and Jack Diamondbacks. They did the thing. They took two out of three from the A's. Certainly a sweep would have been nice. Monday game was not great, that did not allow for that. But the Diamondbacks get a walk off win on Tuesday, and on Wednesday the bats were alive and well. Diamondbacks put up arguably their best offensive showing of the season. Fifteen runs on seventeen hits. Another big series win for this team.
Speaker 2: That was a close game early, right, I mean it was you know, two two after the top of the fifth and then kaboom. I mean, you know, they scored twelve runs in the next two innings. So we don't see that every day. That was a lot of fun. All those home runs, you know, all the hits falling in better approaches at the plate. I mean, this is what we've been waiting for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean early on, for the first half of this game. This was very much a baseball game, and there were legitimate concerns like are the Diamondbacks about to lose two out of three to a team that entered this series, But I think two wins in the entire month of July, And yeah, it was a competitive game up to that point. Diamondbacks put up a couple of runs in the bottom of the fourth inning they took a two to one lead. The A's then responded. Jeff McNeil hit a solo shot in the top of the fifth to tie the game, and then the bottom of the fifth came along Jack and kind of felt like the d Backs were gonna let another opportunity go by the wayside Kutel a leadoff double Heraldo Perdomo moved him to third with the ground doubt, which felt like a good thing. But then Corbyn Kale grounds out, the run doesn't score, and you're like, all right, here we go. This might be a rough situation where the Dbacks can't capitalize. And then the Dbacks went home run, lock, double home run, single home run the rest of that inning and come away with seven runs a nine to two Diamondbacks lead at that point, and maybe the most notable hit in that inning. There were obviously quite a few big ones, but Ryan Waldschmidt put the icing on the cake there and that fifth inning with his first major league home run, giving the Diamondbacks that nine to two lead.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was sitting in the press box with gambo on Friday night and Alex Weiner and I kind of rhetorically turned around the gamble and I said, is well, are you ever going to hit a home run this year? Is he going to get one? And I was just kind of being, you know, typical sarcastic me and Gambos took it quite earnestly and goes, oh, yeah, I think he will. So I had fun texting and forth with him. A you were right, but it was no cheapy either. I mean, you know, it was a pitch inside, but it wasn't you know, it wasn't a middle middle cookie. And you know, he got the bat head around and launched that sucker four hundred and thirty one feet. So that was great to see. I mean, you know it's in there, but we hadn't seen it. And hopefully this is the first of many more to come.
Speaker 1: It definitely took a while for this to happen for wald Smid. There's there's no getting around that. This was his one hundred and forty second Big League played appearance where where this actually happened. So yeah, I think if you'd ask me when he first came up when that was going to happen, I probably would have thought he would pull that off a whole lot sooner. But yeah, you feel like that's just kind of a mental thing where once you hit the first one, it kind of allows you to be more relaxed up there at the plate to know, like, hey, I am capable of hitting a home run in the major leagues. And Ryan Waldschmid is a big piece to this team. He has swung and missed quite a bit since coming up to the majors. His strikeout rate is still around thirty five percent, but with a good game today he also singled later in this one. His ops is now up to six eighty two. You'd love to see him settle in as you know, maybe even if it's just a league average contributor offensively, that would be a really big boost for this team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, and talking about getting booths, I mean, Corbyn Carroll looks like he's back getting that home run, getting off the Schneid there then just missing one later. As I know that you were very excited about the location of the pitches that he's been hitting, and you know, then you turn around you look at Nolan Arnado, you know, several walks and of course a big home run and James McCann, I mean, you know, gets his two starts a week and here he is home. I'm worrying again. And it was this one hundredth career homer and that happened in the same inning with Waltschmith. So that was a nice juxta position too, get undred homer guy gets his first homer. A lot of fun there.
Speaker 1: You mentioned the location on the Corbin homer. I was indeed intrigued. It definitely got the gears turning a little bit on just the types of pitches that Corbin has been dealing with and the way that he's been attacked this season. There's no it's no secret, right it's been high fastballs, specifically four seen fastballs not just above the zone but in the strike zone. And as you can see here, that's exactly where this pitch was. It was center cut, but in the top third of the zone. Ninety six miles per hour gauge jump is certainly a hard thrower. And not only did Corbin hit it out, but he hit it out to the opposite field, which is always a great sign. And I did some checking on this. I tweeted about it as well. Well, you go back to June tenth, this is about a month and a half Corbyn Carroll only has three hits on four seam fastballs that are in the top half of the play, whether whether in the zone or out of the zone, just in the top half vertically, and two of those hits have come in the last twenty four hours. He had a single that was up in the zone yesterday that he drove for a hit. I believe that was in the third inning. And then there was the home run in this game. Corbyn also a couple of it bats later, laced a triple to the opposite field. Another really nice swing there. That was a splitter that was down out of the zone. So some positive signs here for Corban jack not just against these four seam fastballs that have given him so many fits, but that splitter. I mean that was a great swing as well. It's starting to feel like maybe this drought is coming to an end.
Speaker 2: For him. Yeah, I mean early in the game, things didn't quite feel that way. As we look at this game and how it ended up. He won fifteen to five, but you know, Corbyn hit into a double play. Albeit it was a very hard hit ground ball, but it was still a ground ball. R had second basement hits into a double play and kills a Rally in the first inning, you know, and the team was kind of just barely hanging on. Meryl was struggling with his pitch count. He wasn't thrown terribly by any means, but he was just you know, getting deep into counts or the A's were getting him deep into counts. He had fifty seven pitches for the first three innings. It took you know, the two homers to take a two to one lead in that bottom of the fourth, and then it was a tie game and the top of the fifth, so you know, this was kind of an on edge game. They really needed Merrill to get deep in the game to protect that bullpen. I mean, that was the main story. Instead, they got all this offense that allowed them to go with Carrillo for two innings, and you know, then you brought in Loasaca for one and then of course Ildemaro Vargas pitched the ninth inning, which Tory had some comments about that he wasn't overly comfortable with it, but sometimes you know that's what you need, right, Like the offense took over today for Merrill Kelly, who wasn't able to get six or seven innings. So you know, Merrill was fine five innings, two runs most days you'll take that. They really needed six or seven innings from him today, weren't able to get it, but the offense made up for it.
Speaker 1: Tory did say after the game that Meryl was a little under the weather, so I think that was part of the part of the calculus in cutting him in eighty seven pitches. But yeah, he wasn't the most efficient. I mean, eighty seven pitches in five innings. You'd like to have seen him at least touch the sixth inning. There's another part of me. Obviously, this game got out of hands and it didn't really wind up making a difference, But there's another part of me that's like, maybe protecting Meryll, you know, third time through the lineup isn't isn't a bad decision a bad idea kind of in general, this game was probably not the game where you were going to play, where you were going to go that route, or where you wanted to go that route, because, as you said, the bullpen is a in a pretty rough spot right now. But from what we've seen from Meryl this season, it's it's kind of hard to feel confident with him facing a top of a lineup for the third time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, right now, for the eighteen starts that Merrill's been out there, he's roughly a five VR guy, and you know, it's fourth or fifth starter level performance. So that's kind of what he is this year and some there's a few games in there where he looked like the Meryll of old. There's quite a few games where he looked like gold Meryl. You know right now, I wasn't aware that he was ill. Thank you for filling me in on that full disclosure. I had to leave immediately towards the end of the game, and I wasn't able to hear Tory's postgame comments, So that's news for me, and you know, I hope he's feeling better. I don't know when you said he was under the weather, was it the heat or fatigue or was you know some kind of illness. Tough game to go out there and be a major league pitcher and throw eighty seven pitches if you're not feeling your best. So hats off to Marrow for getting that done. And I just I was intrigued to see Courier today. You know, I thought that the stuff looked interesting. Obviously, it was his major league debut. There were some rough edges there in that second inning of work, but I think overall, very intriguing arm, and I'm looking forward to see you a little bit more of what he can do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think I think even though Korea wasn't you know, all that sharp in this game. There were some big misses at times. He winds up giving the run in his second inning of work. But it is indicative of like this version of the Diamondbacks, that you call up someone when you desperately need an arm and he's throwing it, you know, a cutter at ninety three and a sinker at ninety eight and a four seamer and he's got a splitter and a sweeper and a curveball, and you know, the threshold in terms of stuff out of the bullpen has definitely been raised. He really didn't give up much hard contact at all in that inning. You just might have liked to see the command a little bit sharper there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean he get one hard hit ball, you know, the whole game, it's the whole two innings that he worked. So yeah, he didn't get a ton of swing and miss, but he got some, you know, a little bit here and there. So more please. I mean, obviously, you know Dre Jamison went on the il. We'll talk about that a little bit later. And I think Corio's probably going to be here for a little bit. I mean, there aren't really any other pictures that they can bring up right away to replace them, so I would expect him to stick around for most of this road trip.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they've really been wheeling and deal in with Reno, sending guys back and bringing him up over and over and over again, and it feels like Correo is maybe the end of that where he's going to stick around for a while. Diamondbacks didn't have to tax their bullpen much in this game, which was very much needed. You mentioned Ildamar Vargas pitching the ninth inning, and he certainly played a role in that. Tory said after the game that had he gone to Brandon Garcia, which is who he would have gone to if he'd gone to another guy to the bullpen. Had he made that move, Garcia would not have been available for the game tomorrow night against the Saint Louis Cardinals, which is obviously very important and also worth noting. Garcia's last outing came on Monday in a low leverage spot when the Diamondbacks wound up losing the game. So Garcia is the diamondbacks best relief pitcher right now, and using him in back to back low leverage situations wouldn't have felt right. So you and I were texting back and forth about this. Going into the ninth. I was team I was really team James McCann. And then and then Vargas showed up out there and I was like, okay, all right, Vargas works too. It was a little scary Jack he did allow for the first five to reach base. He hit Jonah him with a pitch. It was like a two to two county. It just dotted a sixty seven mile per hour fastball in his own and then he and then he plunks Hime and it's like, oh gosh, like he just might not be capable of getting them out of this without Brandon Garcia having to come in any way. But props to Ildmorrow. Jack not only did he have three hits in the game and to walk as well, but he also was able to shut the door in the ninth inning, only gave up two runs, and Brandon Garcia as a result, is preserved and is able to go with the game tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, our friends at Azy Snakepit were also asking, I think it was about, you know, has anybody had the walk off hit the night before and then and then the next day, you know, pitched the ninth inning.
Speaker 1: Ildamorrow has been doing it. And we are going to talk a little more at Ildemar of Vargas after the break because he was, of course the man of the hour on Tuesday night and he did it in very Ildemar of Vargas fashion. So don't go anywhere. We're going to talk more about that on the other side of this break.
Speaker 3: What if you can actually have it all? And I'm talking about Mintmobile taking the premium wireless bouginess crats, but then bringing it to the transparency in pricing and the affordability in pricing.
Speaker 4: They're gonna lay everything out there with a cheap bill that you know what everybody can handle right now.
Speaker 3: You can even bring your current phone and your number. If you're thinking about it and you're like, I'm worried about that, No worries. They have you covered because they're able to convert people all the time to the Mintmobile way. Go to mintmobile dot com slash territory. That's mintmobile dot com slash territory. Cut your wireless bill of fifteen bucks a month at mintmobile dot com slash territory.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 3: There's no catch upfront payment of for five dollars for three months, ninety dollars for six months, or one hundred and eighty dollars for twelve month. Plan required fifteen dollars per month equivalent taxes and fees extra initial plan term only greater than fifty gigabytes may slow when network is busy. Includes up to twenty gigabyte hotspot capable device required. Availability, speed and coverage varies. Cementmobile dot com.
Speaker 1: We are back here on Snake's territory. Really, we really appreciate all of you being here with us, whether you're watching on YouTube or joining us in audio only format. We would really appreciate it if you would drop a like on this video on YouTube. It's a really great way to support the show while you're out at Subscribe do the thing where you hit the bell icon as well. You'll be notified whenever we release an episode, and if you're joining us on Apple Podcasts or Spotify. It also really helps us out if you'd leave us a five star review and shout out to those of you who've already done that, because we have now surpassed the one hundred rating mark on both Apple Podcasts and Spotify, so we really appreciate all of you who have gone out and done that. Jack. Of course, there was some Paul Seawall chatter that came out of the Tuesday game, and we'll get to that in a moment, but sticking on the positive side, because the Diamondbacks did win this game, the crisis was averted, and Ildamara Vargas was right at the center of it. Bases loaded one out in the tenth inning. The Diamondbacks had already tied the game, but Tim Tawa had just struck out, and so there was still this feeling of like, all right, the Diamondbacks with runners in scoring position, you're not necessarily feeling the most confident, and then Iil Damara Vargas puts together this at bat. It's a one to two count and he gets a ninety nine mile per hour fastball that was basically at his head but vertically speaking, it was sort of on the outside part of the plate, and somehow not only does he put it in play, but he hits it to the opposite field and he gets like on top of it and manages to ground it through for a game winning single. This was like the most ildemar of Vargas thing.
Speaker 2: Ever, absolutely, and you know, he's probably the only guy on the team that could actually hit that pitch. You know, I think I don't think even could tell who's probably got the next best back control and you know, makes the most contact, it strikes out the least. I don't even think Kutel could could get on top of that pitch, So I mean, kudos to him. That was not an easy thing to do, but it was still kind of funny just to see him hit a ball in that location and be able to knock it through, so huge moment for him. The right guy at the right time is really exactly who you wanted up maybe at that point in time, somebody that's going to put the ball in play. You know, he doesn't strike out, So that was key for them obviously to have that right guy at the right time. But again, what a pitch. I don't know how he got on top of that, but he did. That's some mad skills.
Speaker 1: I of course had to do a Baseball Savant search on this, and I learned that this pitch was four point three four feet above the plate, which when you consider that Ildamorro is like, I don't know what five eight maybe something like that. Maybe I'm selling him a little short there, but something in that range. So four point three four feet above the plate, and I did a search. This of course is just the stat Cast era, so it goes back to twenty fifteen. That's the data that we have. But this was the second highest pitch ever hit for a base hit by a Diamondbacks hitter in stat Cast history. The one other Diamondbacks hitter who's managed to hit a pitch higher than this one is Jack Peterson. This happened back on July twentieth, twenty twenty four, and I watched it back. It was at Wrigley field, and it was just an outrageous swing from Jock Peterson, and Drew Smiley, who was on the mound, had like this big smile on his face and was like, how on earth did you do that? So that was four point six feet off the above the plate. So I have no idea how Jock Peterson managed to do that. Granted he probably does have a couple of inches on Eel Tomorrow height wise, but yeah, that just kind of helps capture Yeah, yeah, maybe probably not that much. It was a crazy swing. I mean, the Jock swing might have even been crazier than what we saw from Eil Tomorrow. But it was also.
Speaker 2: Say again, what was the hit that Jock had.
Speaker 1: It was just like a line drive single in front of the right fielder, but it was sharply hit. It was like one hundred and one hundred and six off the bat or something like that. So it was wild. But I thought it was also funny that Eil Tomorrow in this Wednesday game, I think it was his last hit of the game, was like one foot above the ground. It was I have no idea how he hit that one either. It was like well off the plate outside and also well below the zone. And yet that's just Gildamar of Argus. He can get to everything, and sometimes that's great, and sometimes it's a little bit frustrating because he kind of has a knack for chasing way too much out of the zone.
Speaker 2: Be careful what she asked for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but I guess we should circle back to the earlier conversation. The reason the Diamondbacks needed Ildamar of Argus to play hero in that Tuesday game was because Paul Seawald unfortunately blew the save. In that game, Diamondbacks had a four to two lead. Seawald goes out there and had two outs, but I was able to get the first two outs. Then he gives up a triple. He has two strikes on Jacob Wilson, and Jacob Wilson hit a two run, game tying home run that sends the game into extra innings. And unfortunately for Seawald, even though this was just his second blown save of the year, and he certainly deserves credit for how he's handled this those situations, the run prevention element has gotten pretty ugly here. You looked up some numbers just before we hopped on. Since June fifteenth, he has a nine point nine to zero e er. That's eleven earned runs and ten innings pitched five home runs in that span. There's no getting around to Jack Paul Sewald has really struggled here over the past month.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you know, I mean if you look up through that time, like up through the fourteenth, he had a three zero eight er, you know, and he had seven walks, twenty nine strikeouts. There's four home runs and twenty six innings. You're like, Okay, that's a little much. But now it's nine home runs and thirty six innings, so you know, this isn't working, and the dbacks are you know, getting close to probably having to make a move there. It's only a matter of time until he has a spate. I mean, if he keeps pitching like this, it's only a matter of time then he has a spate of several blown saves back to back. We've been here before where he was lights out for a month plus in twenty twenty four and then all of a sudden the calendar turned to July and he really fell apart and eventually lost his closer's role. And I think that, you know, it's not just the home runs. I mean, like I think his extra base hit percentage is like fifty six percent or fifty eight percent, like almost sixty percent of the hits that he does give up. If they don't go for homers, they also go for doubles and triples. So it's just a really odd dynamic for him. I mean, his strikeout to walk ratio is still fantastic. He gets a lot of strikeouts. He's not walking many guys, but you know, when he gives up the hits, they go, they stay hit. Now what happens next if this continues? I mean, look, maybe he reels off seven eighty nine outings in a row and you know, it doesn't blow anything, doesn't get put into a say, a non safe situation that causes him lose a game. But look, Paul is what he is, right, and he's not going to be perfect. We know that. The question is is what's your tolerance for paying when he has these rough stretches.
Speaker 1: I think there's a misconception with Seawald. You kind of just touched on it that you know the fact that this is a guy who actually does miss bats. His strikeout rate is well above the league average, and also his walk rate is well below the league average, and there's this perception that, like, oh, at ninety one miles per hour, you just can't get anyone to swing and miss, and it's not true. The numbers are very clear on this. The issue is the home runs and the fact that he's given up nine of them in the thirty six and the third innings this season, and diving a little deeper there. I mean, I think the issue is that Seawald just doesn't get ground balls. We've touched on that in the past, and it's not just that the flyballs have gotten out of control. It's that the polled flyballs have have approached a range that we've never seen for Seawald in his career. The league average pole air rate, so this is I know we're getting into the weeds here, but this is like the percentage of batted balls that are polled flyballs, and these are the types of balls that often go for home runs, right, and the league average is sixteen point eight percent. Seawal does at thirty four percent. You compare that even to a couple seasons ago in twenty four where, of course he was also removed or was removed from his from his role as closer, that rate was twenty point two percent. So we're talking about almost like double the number of polled flyballs this season compared to a couple of years ago, much much higher number than we've ever seen before. And I think it leaves the Diamondbacks in a difficult position to evaluate Seawalt. I know that everyone is just going to be like, he should he should not be the closer tomorrow, and I see where you're coming from. I mean, an era of four point seven to one is what it is. But there's also the strikeout rate that's really good, and the walk rate that's really good, and the home runs are just kind of this weird, like small sample size sort of thing for relievers, and I think it might be I don't know how the dbacs are viewing this. It wouldn't shock me if the leash here is a little longer than people want to see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, look, he's as a debate has been going, you know, all around social media as well. He's twenty three for twenty five and in you know, save chances, and we've talked about a lot and highlighted and trumpeted the fact that he hasn't been blowing any saves. The debate about you know, well, high ERA, but good save percentage. You know, what is that value there? We can turn around and go look at I was looking at win percentage added for WPA for relievers that had at least eight or nine or ten saves, you know, and he's kind of down the list. It's not it's zero point nine heading into last night. So of course that went down after the meltdown, So you know, his WPA isn't very good right now. You know, it's there's a lot of ways to skin a cat when it comes to trying to evaluate a reliever. But I think you're just going to get to the point where sooner or later, his approach is going to catch up to him. He's a deception guy, and the more teams see him, the less deceived they are. That's that's what it's about, you know. And and the home runs are always going to be there, but it's really alarming that they're coming at the rate that they are. Now, now, what is the team going to do? I mean, my guess is that if they do feel the need and they're not there yet, they're going to have more patients than you or I or almost any other fan would have. Right That's just the reality that's the name of the game here. But if they do remove him from the closers role, though, go committee and matchups. I think Brandon Garcia might be their best reliever, but he's also their only reliable lefty and sometimes you do need to play matchups there. So I don't think that they're just going to turn around and say, well, Garcia is a closer and that's it. I don't think that they'll name anybody. Kevin Ginkle's been around a long time, but it's not like he's had a ton of success when he's been named the closer, So I don't know who they're going to go to. I think it would more or less be a committee situation. And then once Justin Martinez comes back, which I still think is probably a couple weeks away from actually being activated into the major league roster, and then from there are they going to not is going to turn around and make him the closer out right out of the shoot. They're going to want to ease him in, So, you know, the earliest I think that Justin Martinez would be an option at closer would probably be four weeks from now, like third or fourth week of August, even if he comes back in early mid August, I just think he's going to need to pitch for a couple of weeks before he's an option.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with that. I think anyone expecting j mar to just step right in immediately into the closer role, I just don't think that's a realistic expectation in terms of, like if the d Backs were to name a closer, Ginkle is kind of the only other name on this roster that feels realistic to me, just because he has done it before. We have seen Tory Lavello make that decision in the past, and he's had a pretty good season, you know, not an amazing, amazing season. Obviously, Monday was a rough night for him, but the full body of work with Ginkle has been solid. I think Kuan Mario and Brandon Garcia, as great as they've been, they're both quite inexperienced, and frankly, we're pretty big question marks going into this season, Like Brandon Garcia started the year in Triple A and Juan Rio is not exactly a lock to make the team in spring training, so going from that straight into the closing role hard to imagine there. So I think Seawald probably sticks around here for a while. The thought of Seawald being on the roster but not the closer is a little strange to me, Jack, I mean, I guess that would be the most likely move. Like, they probably still view Seawald as being more valuable than Dre Jamison or Harado Correo or you know that kind of last man that's in the bullpen right now. But you know, maybe you go out and make a trade at the trade deadline or Justin Martinez coming back. Obviously that changes the calculus and maybe there comes a point where Seawald is no longer viewed as like one of the you know, eight best relievers on this team.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, look, he's going to have to get it together to hold on to his spot. That's just the way it is, and we'll see what happens. But the last month has been really rough. We've all watched it, seen it. You know, there's a lot of people out there and said, well, this is sooner or later, this is going to happen. He just knew it would. And I don't think anybody you know, really had any doubts about the fact that Paul can be a very volatile reliever. You know, it's funny. He's such a level headed guy when you talk to him in person, but when I actually watch him pitch and I watch how he reacts emotionally, he's a really emotional pitcher. I think, yeah, And you know, I think that he rides that wave and he rides that roller coaster with the kind with the results that he's getting to a great degree. So you know, hopefully he can get his confidence back and get back on a role. They're gonna need it. They just can't afford right now. Especially, this is never a good time, never a good time for a blown save, never a good time for a bad stretch from your closer. But right now, heading up to this trade deadline, this is just as big a situation as any for them.
Speaker 1: You mentioned the trade deadline. Of course, that is a very very big topic right now. We're just about a week and a half away from August third, and things are heating up. So when we come back from this break, we're going to look at the standings where the Diamondbacks sit in that race, and then we've got some news and notes on a few different items heading into a really big game against the Saint Louis Cardinals, followed by a big series against the Washington Nationals. So don't go anywhere. We'll be back on Snake's territory right after this.
Speaker 3: If you're watching us, you already know we're wearing mack Weldon right now as we talk about a great brand that makes things so comfortable and easy to wear. But if you're listening to the show, let me tell you a little bit more about mac Weldon with my friend Aeric Kratz.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's comfortable, it's light. It's summertime right now. For me, though, they cater to what I need tall clothes. Normally, when I buy tall clothes it's like something that's cumbersome and boxy. It still fits incredibly well, super light, perfect for the summertime. They got me all covered.
Speaker 3: Comfortable performance material can be yours. Mac Weldon is the spot. Don't sweat the heat this summer. Feel as effortlessly cool as you look. With mac Weldon. Go to Mackweldon dot com and get twenty percent off your first order of one hundred and twenty five bucks or more with promo code foul. That's m A c k W E L d O N dot com code foul.
Speaker 1: We are back here on Snake's Territory. I do want to give a quick shout out to foul Territoryshop dot com because they have these very cool all Star collection t shirts available now. You can scan the QR code if you're watching on YouTube, or just visit foul Territoryshop dot com if you are not. But yes, these shirts are pretty spiffy looking. Of course, we have Eduardo Rodriguez and Corbyn Carroll. This is officially licensed gear, so be sure to check that out over there at foul Territoryshop dot com. Jack, I guess to get to the news and notes piece here. The Diamondbacks have used a lot of rookies and really just even like the last twenty four hours, it feels like we've had seven different rookies have like big moments. But yeah, Coldrake was a big part of that. He started the Tuesday game. It kind of looked like the sky was falling for him in the third inning of that start, but miraculously he was able to work his way out of it. Mitch Brad of course, another rookie who made another their start on Monday. And as far as the future for those guys goes Tory Leavello was asked about this, he said, we're having those conversations right now. This was before today's game. Lavello continued, it looks very good that they'll both stay with us. So not like AE hundred one hundred percent at this point, but it sounds like Cole Drake and Mitch brad are here to stay in this rotation.
Speaker 2: I think they both earned another shot another start. I mean, your other option would be to Brin Cabrera back. He's eligible on the twenty fourth, so you know, next time Bratt or Drake's Karen comes up, they could go that route. But I think that especially you know, what we saw from Cole Drake very much surprised me. I mean I did not based on the fact that he had lost so much velocity in triple A Reno this year and just a result there who was getting. But you know, it was mentioned to me that, look, maybe the fact that you know he's very breaking ball reliant to and that you know, he was just getting a lot more break on the curveball and in this game then maybe he was in Reno that might have had something to do it. Not that he threw a lot of them for strikes, but you know, it really gave the hit or something to think about standing in the box. You know that that probably was a difficult pitch for them to actually pick up. That's a sense that I got. Had he located it just a little bit better, I think it really would have gotten him a lot of swing amiss, So you know, I'm intrigued. Also, his velocity was a little bit higher. It was I think ninety two ninety three most of the game, or at least in the early innings, a little bit higher than what he was in Reno. So you know, five innings a run, you'll take that almost any day from any rookie starter. And that's exactly what he said too. He said, you know, I'd like to walk less, guys like to have a little bit better command, But you know, you send me out there and I go five innings and give up one run. Yeah, he was very satisfied with his own outing.
Speaker 1: There was definitely more swing and miss than I expected. Thirteen whiffs all together for him, four on the fastball, one on the curveball, four on the change up, four on the cutter, So those pitches worked pretty well for him. He also had a little bit more ride on the fastball than I expected. He averaged seventeen inches of induced vertical break with the four seemer in triple A, it was like fourteen, and you always know the elevation is going to have an impact there, so it seems like he got a big boost from that. So absolutely you'd like to see him throw strikes. Only thirty nine percent of his pitches were in the zone, which is that number is going to have to come up in order to have long term success. But absolutely think he deserves another shot. Seems like the Dbacks will give him that. On the injury front, we do have a few updates there. We kind of mentioned this earlier, but Dre Jamison is on the fifteen day injured list with a right hip impingement. That's what brought Herado Careo to the big league roster. Tory Lavello said that Jamison had been trying to work through that and they just made a decision on Tuesday to just give him fifteen days and then and then get him back to the big league. So it doesn't seem like a long absence there. The other big one that we got today Jack, Although there's not really a ton of information here, but Zach Gallon did go see doctor Neil Ella Trash on Monday, and he picked up a baseball today and that's about all we know. He wanted to see how it felt. And it seems like surgery is not being considered. But we don't really have any idea what the plan or timeline is for Zak.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there's some kind they're just trying to work out, like how to rehab him and how to bring him back. It's good news for him, good for the team that he is not looking at surgery. But on the other hand, it sure sounds like something going to keep him out at least like another month or more. I mean, he's going to have to be down for a bit and he's going to have to get ramped back up. I know that many people will say, you know, don't bring him back, just DFA and just get rid of him. But you know, the team needs to figure out if they can get anything out of him. Who knows, you know, maybe there's a redemption story here. Maybe he comes back in you know, September and he pitches well and he's a big part of a postseason rotation. You never know what this game. You can't predict baseball. You can't write him off completely. I'm not screaming optimism here, but it would be fun to be able to report on a redemption arc for Zach Gallen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely not not something you can totally rule out. Hope that he's able to get back soon. Other notes, we have Michael Soroka through a bullpen yesterday out at Chase Field and apparently that went very well. He's expected to face live hitters on on Saturday, so he's just kind of staying on track. There still going to be a little while before we see Soroka. I think still safe to say, Jack, that that Soroka is going to be after the trade deadline. Do you think that's pretty well established now?
Speaker 2: I believe that's the case. Yes, I mean it would be a major upset if he actually pitched in a major league game before August third.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't think anyone would be upset. The Diamondbacks would be super happy about.
Speaker 2: It, but well, it would be an upset, not as in upsetting.
Speaker 1: But you know, I get you. I just had I just wanted to give you a hard time there.
Speaker 2: Yes, Hey, one thing I was thinking about what the Jamison think. Just want to circle back to Jamison. I'm not loving the part about he was feeling this hip impingement and was pitching through it. One of the things we talked about was Soroka, you know, taking his time with the glute injury, and it was that he didn't want a cascade injury and he didn't want anything that was going to screw with his delivery, you know, with all the injuries that Jamison has had, and of course, you know Tommy John survivor, I really don't like the idea of he was actually pitching through a sore hip before he actually went on the il. So, you know, hopefully they actually give him some real time down here and make sure that thing is healed before he starts throwing again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, hopefully hopefully dres able to get back healthy. We get a number of requests about talking about prospects more, and we do apologize. It feels like in the chaos of the week two week news cycle, it's hard to spend a whole lot of time there. But we did want to give a shout out on this episode to Demetrio Carsantis, who was promoted from Double AM Morillo to Triple A Reno. He's now on the doorstep of the majors at just twenty one years old. Really impressive numbers at several different levels. This year he started, I guess he played in the complex a little bit while he was rehabbing, but he went to and absolutely destroyed the baseball there and d Bacs sent him to double A pretty pretty quick. In thirty five games there, he had three nineteen with a one thirty WRC plus and now he's he's up in Triple A. I not really. I don't know if I would say I'm expecting Crysantis to make his big league debut this year, but he's close enough that I'm not going to say it's impossible. If he goes out there and puts up crazy numbers for you know, the next month or so, maybe there's a world in September where Crysantis can make his big league debut. We know how the d Bacs do not exactly have a ton of depth offensively right now. And if I mean, if he just goes out there and Rakes and Reno like he might make a case for himself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you only get to add two guys. I mean, you know, your roster goes to twenty eight, and you know at least one of them is going to be a pitcher, so you've only got one position player that you can add at that point. So we'll see who it is. You know, Could it be Demetro Croissantis. Could it be Manny Pina, you know, I mean, the guy's up, but as he already his thirtieth homeer, and I don't know that he did the last twenty four hours, but you know, could be one of those guys. You know, maybe they meet the extra catcher, although they have three catchers on the roster right now if you include Adrian del Castio and that well, see, I mean I think that for me, I would like to see them give Crossantis the proper amount of time to cook. I don't want to see him rush to the majors.
Speaker 1: I think that most likely brings him into next season. I think that's probably probably fair to say there's a something might have gone wrong if Croissantis is in the big leagues in a couple of months. You know, you wouldn't you wouldn't want to see him forced into that. So nonetheless, still super impressive for him to reach that level at just the age of twenty one, especially given the injuries that he's dealt with in his young professional career, so definitely worth a shout out there. We should take a look at the standings real quick before we get out of here. This is what we got. This is still like midway through the action on Wednesday. The Marlins game is not done as of the time of recording. The Phillies as well. The Pirates are playing the Yankees. They had a double header today. We don't know the outcome of the second game, so this is probably gonna change by the time you all see this. But nonetheless, as of right now, the Diamondbacks are in a tie with the Pittsburgh Pirates for that third wild card spot, and there's four teams right behind them, all within two and a half games, so things really tightening up here, Jack. But this is about as good as this has looked for the Diamondbacks in quite some time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Yankees, by the way of leading the Pirates to nothing in the top of the eighth as we speak, so that means that if for any reason the Yankees are able to hold onto that, then the dbacs would actually take over that top spot. But the third spot, I should say, the third.
Speaker 1: Wild looks like the maybe we should stop talking about this, because I was just about to say that the Marlins were losing two one to the Astros, and then just as I was going to say, at the score change to two to two, the Marlins apparently just tied that one. So anyway, these games, by the time you all get to this are are probably over and we'll have a little bit more clarity, but certainly a big, big series win for the Diamondbacks. Taking care of business against the A's and looking ahead of the d Backs have more very important games right around the corner. Of course, they're having to play this bizarre game against the Saint Louis Cardinals on Thursday. Brandon fought against Michael McGreevy. That's the pitching match up there, and then the d Backs will hop on another plane and fly to Washington, d C. For the weekend. They'll take on the Nationals and are expected pitching matchups for that NAT series at Wardo Rodriguez against Zach Lttel, Mitch Bratt and Foster Griffin, and then Cole Drake and Miles Michaelis in the finale. So this is one long road trip Jack that the Diamondbacks are setting out on right.
Speaker 2: And remember, folks, these are East Coast games, so be sure to check your game times. These are all going to be afternoon, late mid late afternoon games for the Diamondbacks in Arizona time, so be sure to look it up, and you know, make sure that you catch as many of these games live as you can. We'll be doing a live post game on Tuesday. I believe, right, Jesse, is that the day we.
Speaker 1: Picked lot well, so live postgame on Friday would be the next one. Oh yeah, I'm sorry, Friday after the Nationals. The Nationals game on Friday next week is too far away for me to figure that out right now, but yes, Friday, Friday night will be our next episode. Will be live after the first game of that series against the Nats were we were doing some research on the Nts ahead of the show. The d Backs are we think going to have three lefties pitch in that series, and the Nationals are a great offense against against anyone. They've They've been unbelievable offensively this year, but you look at what they've done against lefties this season, it's not real comforting. A two seventy eight batting average here with a eight thirty one. Ops. I guess maybe this isn't every single guy on the team I want to hitters, Okay, thank you. So these are just these are just the right handed hitters against lefties. But like you know, James Wood is still pretty good against lefties. CJ. Abrams can hold his own as well. So this is a team that is definitely built to crush left handed pitching, and the d Backs are sending three of them out there in that series over the weekend. At least, that's what we think things are gonna We think that's how things are gonna line up. So, uh, that's a that's a big one. The Nationals just beat the Rockies eight nothing earlier today, and there's still very much in this as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there's a lot of debate about the rock the Nationals viability in this wildcard race, you know. There. I think that they're not anywhere near being a seller yet, but they may not be buyers as well. Jesse, I know you've been doing a lot of reading of what their management is saying and how they're presenting themselves, so maybe you know you have some insights there as to what their likely turn is to be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's still very much to be determined, but just reading a few stories here and there in the past couple of weeks, it seems like it's a pretty conservative front office. Just the way that they're talking right now, I think they are open to buying. I don't think that's out of the question by any means, but I think they probably have to be really close. I think if they slip back to maybe even like three games out of the picture or something like that, they they seem like the type of team that's going to lean towards sell more quickly. They did not expect to be in this position at all coming in coming into the season. They very much outperformed those expectations. So totally anything is on the table as of right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I think they're I think they're a tough team. If they get any kind of pitching at all, I think they're very formidable. So you know, maybe they'll you know, zig while everyone's expecting them to zag. And I mean if their lineup keeps hitting like this and they're right there in the race, I mean, you know, they may change their mind and say, you know what, let's go for it. Let's let's grab a pitcher or two. So you know, I mean, you put some decent pitching on that team and all of a sudden, it's a whole different ball of wax. I mean their offense is legit. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. We were looking at expected wOBA around the league, and the Dodgers are number one. The Washington Nationals are number two. So even you look at the expected stats and they're very much right in this as one of the best offenses in baseball. So this is going to be a crazy week and a half or so leading up to the trade deadline. We are excited to follow along with all of you and give our thoughts along the way. As we said earlier, our next show will come on Friday night. We'll be live after that first game against the Washington Nationals over on YouTube, so we would love to see you there. In the meantime, you can find us on social media. I am at Jesse and Friedman. Jack is at Show Wizard fifty nine on Twitter, of course, and our show is at Snake's Territory. You can find Jack's written work over at Arizona Diamondbacks on SI Jack any final thoughts here as we head into a bizarre one day road trip thing in Saint Louis.
Speaker 2: Well, hopefully it won't rain, and hopefully they'll get some good weather in Washington this weekend as well. We're in that time of year where those parts of the country are really muggy. That bullpen barely got through today, so it's going to be really interesting to see how the team handles the rest of this road trip that they're coming up on.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: Well, now, Sports City's pretty rough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the scheduling there is pretty brutal, and I think you've officially jinked the Diamondbacks when it comes to the weather during that road trip. So we'll see, we'll see what happens. Maybe not. I think the forecast right now is looking pretty good for Saint Louis tomorrow. Hopefully it stays that way. Thank you again to all of you for being with us. We really appreciate your time, and we'll be back with another edition once again on Friday night of Snake's Territory