Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. You're listening to the Bloomberg Intelligence podcast. Catch us live weekdays at ten am. He's done on Apple, Cocklay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business App. Listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts, or watch us live on.
Speaker 2: YouTube through SpaceX, the startup founded by Elon Musk, the billionaire, has filed confidentially for an IPO. This is according to people familiar with the matter. Anthony Hughes is one of our reporters here at Bloomberg. He covers US equity capital Markets and he joins US now. So when a company files confidentially for an IPO, what exactly does that mean and where does that leave us in terms of when this company, SpaceX will go public and actually.
Speaker 3: List Yes, Well, really, there's a lot of steps along the way to going public, and for a company like SpaceX, which has been around for quite a long time, that it's been along road, but this is really the most definitive step you could argue in terms of going public, because it means that they've gone they're serious in the sense that they've filed a hefty document with the SEC. We don't get to see it yet hopefully we might hear about some of the things that are in it. But this really suggests that the deal is going full steam ahead, and I think all the body language we've seen in recent even in just the last two or three days, we've seen a number of stories about different things that are happening around the deal, and it's really sort of indicated that it's full steam ahead and everyone's pretty confident they can get this done actually by June. Now June is a few months away, so a lot of things, different things that happen. We're in a world where different things can change, so you know, it's worth being a little bit wary about how easy it's going to be to achieve this. But it's a monster deal and in some it's somewhat unprecedented in many aspects of this deal, so you have to take that into account.
Speaker 4: And the company is considering i dual class share structure in the IPO that would potentially give insiders such as elin Must extra voting power that dominique decision making. Bloomberg News has reported is that something that they're going to go to the regulators and get some feedback on because we've seen other media companies. Tech companies have this duor class stock.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that would be very prominent in the document. We'll be mentioned on the cover of the document. Likely that would be something that would be not unexpected in this situation, especially when you have an IPO which is going to be of a is going to be very highly sought by investors. You tend to find that founders of tech companies that are large and fast growing do have the ability to dictate such terms, and that's been my experience. It's not uncommon. It's not something that corporate governance purists love because it means that if things go wrong, investors may not get to, say, have a huge say in any changes that they would like to see. But it's not surprising that that's something that would happen. And for Elin it might For Elon Musk, it might allow him to consolidate his empire somewhat.
Speaker 4: I'm just looking at Tesla. Thees spring for Tesla does not have a dual class.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so maybe he learned from the first time. And of course it's not unusual for founders to launch.
Speaker 5: An IPO like this.
Speaker 2: Meta has this dual class structure as well, and it's fittingly that we're getting this confidential IPO on the day that NASA set to launch astronauts to the Moon for the first time in fifty years. Anthony, one thing that we do know about SpaceX is that it acquired Xai, which is Elon Musk's ai startup, you know, earlier this year. What does that have to do with this IPO. Why was that kind of a necessary step towards this IPO.
Speaker 3: Well, I think people have different theories on that. I think it probably makes sense for the funding needs of their business to bring it into SpaceX. I think some people felt that that wasn't great for It's made the business not as attractive as a whole. But you know, at the end of the day, I think people are backing Elon Musk because of his track record.
Speaker 6: It's interesting you mentioned Tesla.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's it's just an extraordinary that we could go back to twenty ten when Tesla went public, it was I think it was a few hundred million dollar IPO of a company worth a couple of billion dollars. I mean, we're talking about such larger numbers now. But you know, I think Xai is you know, we're going to see some numbers there.
Speaker 6: I mean from all reports, it's.
Speaker 3: Been burning cash, so it's not adding to the profitability of the overall business, so that that is a concern. But I think because you know, we also expected to see possibly anthropic and open AI go public this year, I mean, there is an arms race for growing the AI aspects, you know, growing these businesses, and you know, I think SpaceX is going to be part of that. And you know that's obviously as a growth element to the business as well, but it does probably make the financials not look as good in the short term.
Speaker 5: But getting there first.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly right.
Speaker 4: There's been reporting that Elon may be considering kind of rolling up all his stuff, you know, SpaceX, maybe acquiring tes Love for example X. Yeah, I mean he's already done that. I mean, what do we know about that? He is Elon said anything about that?
Speaker 3: Well, I think there's a lot of speculation about that. But I think what we're seeing here is that Spasics is going to go public before that happens, most likely. I think, you know, there could be a change of plans. You never know, but it doesn't there's sort of there does seem to be there could be some industrial logic in Elon Musk having all of his businesses in one listed entity. But you know it may be for different reasons because of the way the different these businesses are developing and the value. You know, obviously, you know most companies looking to go public or always trying to maximize valuation and make sure they can have access to capital. I mean, the thing about these businesses being so large is they have almost I mean, for all the ups and downs of Tesla over the years, Elon Musk has demonstrated he's has unlimited access to capital. And this business is going to have a good access to capital, which is going to allow allow them to do many things.
Speaker 6: That's the benefit of size and scale.
Speaker 2: I know that you always look at the banks that get signed on to do this. SpaceX has lined up Bank of America, City Group, Golden Sacks, Japing, Morgan, and Morgan Stanley basically the five biggest bold rocket firms, the.
Speaker 4: Big five, So they and they're going to have dozens and dozens of banks around the world helping them sell this thing. All I know is I'm if I'm buying space I'm thinking that the shareholder bass is going to be a big overlap the people who kind of are in the Elon camp, they're already on test of my senses, they're going to be a very high crossover there between Tesla and SpaceX. So at some point down the road, particularly he has voting super voting shot shares, he might be able to put the companies together.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it's a realm. Yeah, I think it's a reasonable theory. What's next here? So we when do we actually get to see some of the numbers?
Speaker 7: Do you think?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 3: So, typically what happens is the filing will become public. Typically that you know, there'll be a strategic decision about when that is. But if you know, if it's the case that the IPO was on track to actually the company stocks actually on track to deabuts perhaps in late June, which is you know, get in.
Speaker 6: Before the before the before the summer, before the.
Speaker 2: File confidentially, then why not just make it public?
Speaker 3: Well, because confidentiality was originally as when it was first that that sec crewd the ability for companies to file confidentially, it was really for small companies to help you know, small companies go public, but it's over time it was extended to every company. So it was just something that was available to all companies. So it's something you would use. But yeah, and this in this case, you know it, it doesn't matter that much in this situation because Spaceally. All happen is SpaceX will now be able to go out and start meeting investors, and they'll be able to use information in that filing when they're talking to investors, still in a confidential way that's not really you know, public, but the filing of the document will allow SpaceX to say say lots of things to investors that they wouldn't otherwise be able to say. That's our understanding of the legal legal position there, and so you know, it's it's really they'll be doing a lot of testing the waters meetings. The meetings is supposedly starting next week and so then it's really full steam.
Speaker 6: Head here Stee with us.
Speaker 5: More from Boomerick Intelligence coming up after this.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Intelligence podcast. Catch us live weekdays at ten am Eastern on Apple, Cocklay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app. Listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Shares of Nike down almost fourteen percent after its latest earnings report. The last quarter was fine. It's the outlook that has people a little bit concerned. Lily Meyer is our retail reporter, and she joins us.
Speaker 5: Actually, is she here?
Speaker 6: Don't she is?
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm sorry. I thought she was gonna be in studio, but I was wrong. Okay, Lily, great to speak with you. What is it specifically that Nike said that got people concerned because we've been conditioned to really understand that Nike is in turnaround mode, so it's not going to be a straight line up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly, and I think they're still still fair to say there and turn around. What really spooked investors was they shared that the outlook for revenue for the year is just much lower than the street expected. They're still having challenges with Converse. They're now seeing some challenges in EMEYA and that's offset some of the gains in North America and in the running category.
Speaker 4: Lily talk to us about the inventories, because I know that was a big issue for this company. Hey, let us just kind of get through weaning down our inventory and then we'll be in good shape. I thought they were making progress there, and I think I probably I'm probably representing the market here because the market, I guess was surprised here talk to us about inventory.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So one place that inventories came up this quarter that was interesting is they said that they're seeing some elevated inventories in EMEA, in Europe, in the Middle East, and they're also seeing some traffic disruption there from the war.
Speaker 2: What is it specifically with China that's been an issue because inventories has been a problem there, But it goes beyond that. I mean, it goes to a weakness in consumer spending and rising competition. But Nike has been really struggling to get its China business. It's Greater China business back to what it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly, So I would say it's you know, a lot of increased competition there. And this quarter they did show some improvement in Greater China. I think, you know, things turned around a little bit more than was expected, but still not enough to excite investors.
Speaker 2: And one area that's really been weak for Nike is converse. I don't know about you, but I love Converse sinkers, but I also yep exactly, and Converse sales fell more than expected. I think you have something like a fifteen year low in your stories. What is going on there because it has attracted some interest.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so Converse has been one of the most stubborn parts of the business to turn around under Elliott Hill. So I think, you know, Nik has really relied on Converse for the Chuck Taylor but has struggled to diversify outside of that. So they're trying to make a basketball push, but you know, we're not seeing a lot of progress in that area. And you know, we reported yesterday that they, you know, Authentic Brands has expressed some interest in Converse, so we'll see what happens there. Nike has said, you know, they're still invested in Converse, but it hasn't it hasn't turned around yet.
Speaker 4: You know, it's literally just for Nike overall. When I think of them, I think of them as just one of the great consumer product brands with just the you know, the coolest, cutting edge, leading edge kind of products. It feels like maybe they've they've lost that is I mean, how concerned are people that they just kind of lost the feel for the market.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I think innovation was definitely a concern prior to Elliott joining. So under John Donna. One of the biggest concerns was there was a lack of innovation. Nike was relying too much on some of their lifestyle products, so on the Dunks, the Air Jordan ones, the Air Force ones. Elliott has really refocused the business around sport and he's been trying to innovate in that category. Nike had some new product come out around the Olympics, so I think that's an area to watch closely, you know, seeing how much innovation they're able to pump out.
Speaker 2: And speaking of Elliot Hill, he's been on the job for now one and a half years. Is does he own everything that's happened or does he still get a little bit of a pass. I mean, I imagine that it's frustrating for investors, is frustrating for him as well to kind of see this stop and start progress.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I think that In one of our stories today, we said that shares are down more than thirty five percent since he started, despite him executing a new strategy. He you know, on a call with employees, you know, said he was taught so tired, you know, talking about fixing the business. I think he's definitely starting. It seems like he's starting to feel some of the frustration there the business not turning around.
Speaker 6: Stay with us.
Speaker 4: More from Bloomberg Intelligence coming up after this.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Intelligence podcast. Catch us live weekdays at ten am Eastern on Apple, Cocklay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business App. Listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: All right, let's switch gears and look at some other companies that are on the move. And I'm paying attention to our H Restoration Hardware. The stock is plunging. It's down a quarter today, a quarter of its market value lost just this morning. Lindsay Dutch is our consumer Hardlines senior analyst at Bloomberg Intelligence and she joins us now. So this is very much a play on the consumer and a higher end consumer as well. Lindsay, what do we know about our H and the outlook it's given?
Speaker 7: Hi, Paul, Hi Scarlett, thanks for having me. Yeah. So our AH miss both on the top and the bottom line when we looked at fourth quarter earnings. But I think worse is when we.
Speaker 5: Look at this year.
Speaker 7: The outlook was well below expectations, including expecting a sales decline in the first quarter. That kind of tells me between the miss and the bad look for first quarter that demand has really dropped and they're really going to count on a big spike in the back half of the year with a new collection coming to sort of drive that growth heading into twenty seven. But the first half of the year certainly looks challenged.
Speaker 4: DA how much of this You know, when we talk to you about your companies that one of the questions I always have is how much of this is industry wide versus company specific?
Speaker 5: Year?
Speaker 7: Yeah, so for our age, I do think that it is a company specific story.
Speaker 5: When we look back at last year. They did grow.
Speaker 7: Sales eight percent. That's pretty impressive in the environment that they were playing in. That is above the peer average. But they do play to a very niche customer and they are striving to be a luxury brand, and they're moves to make waves in that space. You know, do cost a lot of money. They're investing very heavily. They're they're opening galleries all over the globe, and I I think that there was just a lot of disappointment in this coming year that growth might slow again and their long term targets are well out of.
Speaker 5: Reach, and I'm just looking at Wayfair.
Speaker 2: Those stocks are modestly lower, Ethan Allen Interiors modestly higher. So I'm not sure there's much of a read through to some of the other furniture companies that are out there. But lindsay, how much are tariffs are part of this story for our h.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so tariffs have played a piece here. They cost about one hundred and ninety basis points in margin in the fourth quarter. Their guidance is kind of including a similar hit for this coming year. The bigger thing for this year, as I mentioned, is you know, tremendous investment going into the business. They're expecting contra erosion in their margin again this year. You know, investors aren't liking that. They've kind of missed their profit goals for the past year or so, and we're looking at another year of heavy investment pressure on them margin, even if we see some of that tariff costs come down a bit, but it's definitely a factor. They've also talked about, you know, significantly moving their sourcing around, which is part of the slowdown in that first quarter, you know, reworking that and they might have a little bit of a less product to sell until we get later into the year.
Speaker 6: Lindsay, what are they doing with e commerce?
Speaker 1: Have a thing.
Speaker 4: If I'm going to buy a sofa, I want to go into the store and see it, sit on it, that kind of stuff. Talk to us about their e commerce strategy. How's that played?
Speaker 7: Yeah, so e commerce is a very small piece of their business and the openings that they're they're looking at doing, you know in Paris and Milan. You know, they are really leaning into that experiential vibe and wanting people to come see their product in person, feel it, and really understand the quality. So they are leaning into expansion. We actually see their peer Williams Sonoma is also expanding store yours for the first time in almost ten years. So we're seeing some of these bigger furniture companies. You know, even though they are focused on growing that online presence, they really much want their customer to come into the store and see the product, and they're willing to invest to do that.
Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Intelligence Podcast, available on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Listen live each weekday ten am to noon Eastern on Bloomberg dot Com. The iHeartRadio app tune In, and the Bloomberg Business app. You can also watch us live every weekday on YouTube and always on the Bloomberg terminal