Speaker 1: This episode of The Chuck Podcast is brought to you by Chapter. Now, almost everything you hear about medicare is somebody quietly trying to steer you somewhere, and you're skeptical of that, as you should be.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's a federal lawsuit going on right now over exactly this companies that branded themselves as unbiased while allegedly pointing people toward whatever would pay them the most, as some sort of broker. So if your default is to distrust everyone in this space, honestly, I get it. I'm a bit distrustful these days myself. That's the whole reason I want to tell you about Chapter. They're independent medicare advisors whose entire model is that their advisors are not paid to push any one plan. They're just trying to help. Yes, there's compensation that goes with it, but it's across the board is what they're trying to do. At the end of the day, they're advocating for you. They're not the insurance companies themselves. They're an actual person who actually goes through your doctors, your prescriptions needs, and then compares them to every single plan available to find the best one. That will work for you and hopefully send save you a couple of dollars too. And here's the part that sets Chapter apart. They don't disappear once you've been in a role. They will keep advocating for you. They're kind of like almost like a concierge service. You're just there. I need help. You're like customer service. You know the plan, you know, help me navigate this again. So you ever get hit with a wrongful medical bill, they'll help you fight it. They want to stay an advocate for you even after you've done this. So look, I get it. I think there's all sorts of space. You see a lot of people are throwing themselves in this healthcare space. When I like about these Chapter folks, I've spent time with them. This is a very transparent organization. It is Medicare, and all of its affiliated stuff can be very confusing. The whole point of this is to make this easier and less confusing. Okay, so look, take this cupicism you already have in all of this, pointed out your own plan for twenty minutes. It's free, there's no pressure, and then call Chapter today at nine eight zero seven three four three nine eight five. Well, joining me now is somebody who's should be a familiar face to you, because I think I've had him on my hye. I'd like to think we regularly now do this about once a quarter. It's my friend John Kasik. You may know him as the former governor of Ohio. You may know him as a former member of Congress, former whatever we're all about. We're a couple of guys with a lot of formers, and we're a lot of and we're but neither one of us believe we're formally doing anything. We're just trying to do And I think as you, as I share all the time about our conversations, I always say, you know, at the end of the day, both I think John and I are in the same place by trying to figure out how can we get people speaking again. And John, I got to tell you about an organization I was just at earlier this month. You would love it if the organizations called Recenter Indiana, and it's all about civic engagement, depolarization, and the whole point is not centrism. I love their focus, which is saying we just want every local politician to put Indiana's priorities before their ideology, and that's what they mean by recenter. And I have to tell you now Indiana. You know Indiana well, obviously as a border state of yours, they've always had a culture. It may be a conservative state, but they are not a what I call a pugilistic state. It's kind of like Utah. They don't like this style of politics. And this group really revolted over the redistricting, you know, basically the outside.
Speaker 2: I was really impressed with this group.
Speaker 1: They got a great turnout and they're really trying to It's about trying to help educate young voters, increase participation with young voters, but really try to improve civic conversation. And it strikes me that there's a lot of desire out there for this. I know you hear this, I hear this, and yet all the coverage is about how divided we are.
Speaker 2: You know. Yeah, I'm not so sure that I agree with that.
Speaker 1: I mean, you don't share that optimism right now.
Speaker 2: Well, here's the problem, Chuck, I mean, it's in my opinion, it's like, if you're a Republican and you go you want to really have a good conversation, well, then would you vote for a Democrat. Oh, I wouldn't do that, are you kidding? And vice versa. So we hear people say this, but at the end, when the bell goes off, people go to their corners. And I don't want to be I don't want to be pessimistic, but I also don't want to be you know, pie in the sky. And I think there's a lot of work to be done, which you're trying to do and I'm trying to do.
Speaker 1: In mind, I agree that there's a ton of work, and I think, you know, the voters keep rejecting both parties, and neither party sees it yet as an indictment. They just see it as an opportunity to win the next time. And that's what I don't know how we change that mindset.
Speaker 2: Well, how do you say they're rejecting both parties every election cycle they vote out the party that's in power.
Speaker 1: And they've done it every we have, not every single every two years john this century, but two four and twelve were reelected. Everything in on the federal level. But if you go now, I can get right, you go, we can go back twenty fourteen, New Senate, twenty sixteen, New White House, twenty eighteen, new House twenty twenty, new White House, new new Senate twenty twenty two, new House twenty twenty four, new presidents that you see where like we're voters, I say, we the voters only have one tool to express themselves, the elector of the American people, and it's they're voting. And if you don't like your options, then you just vote out right, and we keep voting out. We're going to have over one hundred new members of Congress this cycle, jump only for.
Speaker 2: The third time.
Speaker 1: Ninety two was the last time we had over one hundred new members of Congress.
Speaker 2: To vote.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this, though, for something new, they just don't necessarily know what they want.
Speaker 2: They want a bout a leadership. Let's let's drill down a little deeper on that. Is that because people who are Republicans are voting for Democrats and Democrats voting for Republicans or is it about turnout? In other words, you know you're going to see the Democrats all fired up this time and the Republicans are going to sit at home.
Speaker 1: But I would argue there's door number three that we always leave out in this conversation, and I totally agree with you about the ebbs and flows of base turnout, and there's no doubt this cycle it's the left that's exciting and they're going to show up. And I doubt the Trump voter shows up. I think we all see that coming. But it's the forty to rowing of forty percent who won't, who are uncomfortable identifying in either party. And you know this, right, you know independence Essentially in twenty four they looked Republican. This cycle they look Democrat to me. They're not waffling, they're essentially voting against. The independent voter doesn't vote for, they vote against these days, and that's where that's the difference I think between Look, we've always had the ebbs and flows of base turnout, that hasn't changed. But you have this larger chunk of voters that's growing in and that's the question. Are they in the middle or are they just rejecting these institutions? But maybe ideologically they're all over the place. And I think that is why this forty percent has been so hard to organize.
Speaker 2: If you will, well, look, you said something that I can't. I keep repeating it, and I hope it's right. And that is it took six presidentinential elections to get beyond Lincoln. Yeah, okay, well it didn't take one, it didn't take two. It took six. Now, I know the country's not as divided today as it was, but that's that. See, you're you're getting me convoluted here because on one hand, you're telling me something about how long it took for people to wait. Well, I agree that we do.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'll give you another fun little you know how long it took from the first meeting in Seneca Falls for the women to get the right to vote in eighteen forty eight to nineteen twenty, right, Like, that's seventy two years. So not every project happens overnight in this country.
Speaker 2: Well, look, we would both love for people to Well, here's another thing, Chuck, and I hope you will agree with this. I wrote something about this, and that is this socialist the Democrats socialis us are actually talking about things that people care about. I don't mean the prisons or that other craft. But when they start talking about affordability and they start talking about the gap between the reach and poor, and you know, I don't get a fair shot. All that kind of rhetoric. Okay, all that stuff that's touching voters. And what's more interesting than just the fact that they're resonating with voters, they are electrifying their supporters who are now out there doing something that I used to do, that we used to do in this country. And you know what it is. It's door to door campaigning. It's face to face. It's face to face. And so you don't, yeah, let me finish. So the moderates what I say about the Democrat moderates. In fact, I talked to a Democrat governor about this. I said, why are you people being silent? Why don't you say that what the socialists are saying makes sense. It's just their solutions are crazy. Let me tell you what I would do. But you don't hear them. They're quiet. It's just like the anti med A crowd. We know, okay, Trump hit a nerve. Let me finish this thought for our listeners. Trump hit a nerve. I warned them about this in twenty sixteen. It's it's negative populism. But yet the normal Republicans didn't say anything to say, no, that's just nonsense, right, Like we're going to balance the budget through waste, spad and abuse. You know, well, I look at it this way.
Speaker 1: If you if you see two if you're not feeling well, and you go and you see two doctors, yeah, and one doctor says, yeah, I think there's something wrong here, and the other doctor says, I can't find anything wrong. Well, which doctor are you going to go back to? The one that like? Now?
Speaker 2: That's it?
Speaker 1: They They may end up prescribing some cuckoo bird cure. Right, you beaches on George Washington, Right, yeah, right, but you're good at but you trust the person that shares the diagnosis. So here's here's where I come down on that socialism issue. Take Grand Rapids. I'm obsessed with what happened in Grand Rapids. Abdul l sied, I don't know.
Speaker 2: What happened there. You mean in the primary, the primary.
Speaker 1: First of all, it was this highest turnout ever that Democrats got in Kent County, which is Grand Rapids. They got over and they just crushed. This is, of course Gerald Ford's home. This was a county that met Romney carried, county that Trump still carried by sixteen, doesn't carry it by twenty. We know that in the Michigan primary in twenty twenty, Biden narrowly defeated Sanders, the so called you know, sort of pragmatist versus versus socialists. Abdul l Saied won it by over thirty points. And so the question is do you believe that the people in Grand Rapids want to be are embracing socialism or are they looking at Hailey Stevens and abdul Lsied and one said I can make the system work, which is essentially was her message, and the other said, this system is broken. Well, if you're a moderate Republican in Kent County that now has decided the Republican Party's crazy, you left them right you were. This was a This was one of those the the the high education Republican counties. There's there's one near you in Columbus that a lot of people like to talk Delaware County. Is this Delaware County reliably Republican? Trump has lost, you knows, the Trump era has made it fade. It's a it's a sort of some one could argue it's got some similarities to to Kent. I don't believe that people that live in Grand Rapids want socialism. I do believe that people in Grand Rapids are going well, one guy agrees with my diagnosis. This thing is just aft up.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The other person thinks the system is still fixable. I don't. I'm going to go with the socialist, even though I'm not sure about the solutions. At least he's going in there to do something different. And that's what Trump tapped into.
Speaker 2: I agree. That's why we love doing this truck has so much fun talking about this stuff. Let's for a second talk about Mondami. Yeah. Now you and I both know that rent control doesn't work, right, But I know this. If I'm living in an apartment up there, somebody's got to do something to keep my rent from going up. Here's the question. Why did the traditionalists not recognize the problem and then come up with a solution that was like bold? Right? I mean, do they have no capability to think differently? By the way, I saw a bumper sticker on the car. Sounds like I'm talking about deadhead sticker, right, But here's what it said. I took a picture. It said both democratic, We're not perfect, but they're nuts but back.
Speaker 1: But isn't the way our entire election cycles have gone over the last twenty years? Which who's the nuttier? Who's got the nuts.
Speaker 2: I was trying to say that for the traditionalists. Yeah, what is your sizzle? Yeah, you don't sell the steak, you sell the sizzle. That's what I think Sinatra said, And I'm saying to you, they're boring. I mean, why is it? Why is it that if you're first of all, the healthcare system is ridiculous, what we've done with the by taking away those subsidies, you realize what we have left are the sickest people and the healthiest people left the system. Why doesn't somebody say we're going to convene everybody involved in healthcare and we're going to lock them in a room and we're not going to let them out until they come up with something that encourages us to stay healthy rather than treating us when we're sick where they make a ton of money. They're worried about the rhetoric too, Chuck Yeah, I mean, where's the bold statements, where's the bold ideas from the establishment? They don't exist.
Speaker 1: By the way, I could make the same I just same argument about the public school system or our education system. I should call it that because it's no longer a public school system. It's a it's a it's very Uh. But what you just described, which is we've allowed our healthcare care system is sort of two classes, right, the haves and the have nots. And our education system is a two class system, haves and the have nots, which of course means our economy is is sort of divvying up the same way. I mean, ultimately, that's what we're dealing with here, is it? We have?
Speaker 2: We have?
Speaker 1: We have we have And I think I think the school system and the healthcare system are the two biggest drivers of this because that's what we all touch and feel every day as young families or is as you know what what do you interact most with? That government has a hand in health care and education, right and and uh and and we have we have let these two systems atrophy over the health questions, no question, no innovation and and it's except in the private space in education we have, but there's only so far can go. And I would argue that the innovation in the private space is actually harmed the public space unintentionally, right, But it does do that. It is because it's a binary thing. The more kids you take out of the system, the more you just you see what you do you just create what you just described in the healthcare system, where all of a sudden, the public school system only deals with those that don't have that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so it becomes.
Speaker 1: Self reinforcing in a negative way, and we have not You know, what made us powerful as a as a country one hundred years ago was that our our school system was everybody went to the same school system, rich and poor, right, and then over time, you know, first it was the only the ultra rich kept their kids out. Then it just kept you know, chopping its way down, and now we've got Yeah, here's the thing, Frankstein system. Well, you go to the poorest communities and you have a lottery to allow parents to have choice. The line is so long, of course parents, But why don't we make there Why can't we make their neighborhood school a great school?
Speaker 2: Why do we have to shadow? Why? Because you know, what really is gets down to with no competition. Yeah, the pizza in Miami is no good unless there's a pizza place down the sidewalk. Competition is what drives change. Interestingly, my problem with the Union is that they don't want change. You know, Frankly, most people don't want change.
Speaker 1: Everybody's in preservation mode now, and that's where, yes, we're in preservation mode. Let me go to a topic because I'm very curious how you would handle this as a if you were on the ballot this year, and that is data centers. It's interesting to me. First of all, I was in I did interviews. I did back to back interviews, one with Byron Donald's Conservative Republic in Florida, one with Doug Jones, you could call them sort of center left Democrat and Dothan Alabama.
Speaker 2: Okay, both of them.
Speaker 1: The number one issue they're both talking about is data centers, right in different even different ways and all this stuff. I think this public concern about data centers ain't about data centers. It's just about uh tech. It's about big tech, and it's it's it's I think, larger than just what's happening in the communities. How would you be tackling this one as an elected official? And then two, what would you be saying to these tech companies who I think have spent too much time capturing politicians and not enough time capturing communities.
Speaker 2: Yep, that's why we need to have public financing of campaigns. Wow, Oh no, we need to have yeah, let me get to public find Let me start on the first thing, data center. If you're going to build a data center, you have to bring power with you. This cannot be put on the on the rate payers. You want to bring a data center, you bring the power. If you can't bring the power, you don't have a data center, plain and simple. And that is not anti data center. That's I'm actually pro data center, but I'm not having pro sent a data center paid for by the peoples whose utility bills go up. I can tell you this in the state of Ohio. We are paying for data centers in Virginia because we're in the same little area. And it's nonsense. So that's how I would handle that now. In terms of big tech, in terms of these companies, I mean, you know, there's too much suck up, and you know, I think, chuck. You know, we have newtered the political parties. They play very little role in screening candidates. They don't have any money, and all the elections now are decided by special interest groups. I was telling somebody that I thought would agree with me on that, and they disagreed. Who was it? It was, Chris Matthews. Chris said no, I don't think the public would go for public finance for their money to go to some politician.
Speaker 1: This episode of the Check podcast is brought to you by Fandel. Baseball fans think you know who's hitting a homer today, Well, Fandel is giving you a free chance to call your shot with Daily Dingers. Joining the action is easy. You just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run and their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings.
Speaker 2: You've got nothing to.
Speaker 1: Lose and you get a lot to gain. And don't forget you can make a free pick every day during the MLB season. It's just another reason why Fandel is the home for home runs. So are you ready to play your game today? Join all the action at FanDuel dot com. That's fandel dot com to play Daily Dingers and make your free pick on who's hitting a homer. Playball and swing for the fences on fandle, an official partner of the MLB, twenty one plus in select states for Kansas and affiliation with the Kansas Star Casino. It's eighteen plus US in DC, Kentucky, Wyoming. If you have a gambling problem, call one eight hundred gambler or one eight hundred MI Reset or call one eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven. You can also visit CCPG dot org slash chat. In Connecticut, you can visit the MD gamblinghelp dot org. In Maryland for help, you can visit gambling Heelplinema dot org. You can call eight hundred three two seven five zero five zero. In Massachusetts, you can call one eight seven seven eight Hope and Why, or you can simply text hope and why New York in order to get some help with any gambling concerns. Finally, you can also call one eight seven seven seven seven zero seven eight six seven if you're in Louisiana. Look public financing. I think we want big money out of politics, but you're not using tax payer money to run. I think we're I think we I think you can hold both positions at the same time.
Speaker 2: Well, my feeling about it is, if you're going to be a candidate, you're just like you're going to have a small business. You've got to reach a threshold of of the factory are qualified petitions, and then then I think you could publicly finance. Look, I think a lot of these people go to Washington and they're beholden before they even get sworn.
Speaker 1: In completely agree.
Speaker 2: So I can't tell you how I think we can fix that. We're going to you know, whether you say, oh, well, just transparency, that'll fix it all, No, won't. And the problem we have is the court, and the court is ruled that, you know, you can't limit speech and all that, and I understand it, and but there's ways to deal with that. But I've become a public finance guy. And you know what, Chuck, here's the thing. Yeah, Okay, when I say that, you're like, oh, wow, okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, because that's not you know, but you know, many conserv Republicans would be advocating for taxpayer dollars in the campaigns.
Speaker 2: You know what. That's why I'm fun honestly with No, you're not wrong. I mean, this is why you're interesting.
Speaker 1: You're not a you're you're not are You're not a cookie cutter.
Speaker 2: There is no place where I'm going to get my instructions from the political party to tell me what to do. Bloney. See, that's what I keep What I don't understand is in an era now when meeting the voter face to face matters. Why aren't there more people with Do you see the socialists doing it? But where are the normal Democrats? Where are the Republicans? They don't like Mega, They're just going crazy, they hate Mega. Well, what you what do you want to do and what's your rhetoric and what's your examples and what's your ideas?
Speaker 1: To me?
Speaker 2: This is the problem.
Speaker 1: You know you we identified it on the left, but you're right, the center right and the center left of the two parties, they don't have a compelling counter to MAGA in the socialist that's the problem.
Speaker 2: And you know they're boring. They follow a script and they can't I mean can't they think? I mean what can't they create something interesting?
Speaker 1: Well, give me an idea that you think the center right or the center left could do that would acknowledge the angst and at the same time save capitalism.
Speaker 2: Well, I think one of the ideas, as I said, is that if King Jeffries becomes the speaker, I've got a commitment out of Penetta to go down and see him. I want him to convene a healthcare group that can sit down who people who go into a room, unbiased, whether they're pharma, whether they're doctors, whether they're trial lawyers, whatever, come out with a plan that encourages the ability of people to be rewarded for doing things to keep them healthy, rather than continuing to run this treadmill. I mean, I think that. And the fact is I would extend the subsidies until we get an answer, because you cannot cut people out of this stuff. That would be one thing. Well, I'll tell you my other one. This is you're gonna think this is crazy. I favor a Trump amendment. And people are like, what the Trump Amendment says that we shall have a balanced budget except in cases of war or you know, any depression, any of that other stuff. And people say a Trump amendment? Why a Trump amendment? I said, because it's got his name on it, and if we don't get on top of this debt, it's going to cripple everybody, you know. I mean, so I've been talking about that. People laugh. No, I'm going to cut the Trump on this at some point. Think about that. It would have his name and he hasn't enough to do anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm want to ask you about It's funny, and that's why I love talking with you because we're going to go in different directions. I didn't plan on going, but I'm watching a mismanage a war right now, all right, and we and I just want to let's I want to separate out the policy here for a minute, because that's one debate, but let's talk about the operational aspect of things. And I'm just going to ask you this question as a concerned citizen. For the last twenty five years, basically since nine to eleven, all we have done is invested money in the Pentagon, in new systems to do this. We've got to modernize this, We've got to do this. We've got to do that, and we are more unprepared for this war.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I think this goes that Trump. Trump didn't plany if we were if we knew we were going to war, or that going to war with Iran was a possibility. I'd like to think we'd have improved our logistics for the USS Lincoln. I think I'd like to think we would have set something up. But let's set that. But that's my point here. What have we've been spending our money. We're finding out that the Iranians are are this sort of asymmetric warfare, which of course has been a problem for the United States going back to Vietnam. We continue to spend all this money. What are we getting for our money?
Speaker 2: Chuck? Sometimes I used to I think of them as the Uniform Public Works Committee. Let me tell you about the Pentagon. Okay, I mean, I'm.
Speaker 1: Getting you were one of the committee, and I'm tee you up here on purpose. I very well know you were one of the first Republicans actually want to audit the goddamn Pentagon.
Speaker 2: Well, not just that, but you know, look, we did Goldwater Nichols. There was I mean there were Goldwater Nickels said that the people that fight the war ought to have the power. We created special forces, you know. But the problem you have, Chuck, is the Pentagon is extremely resistant to any change. Yes, that's what I talked to Panetta about. He goes John. It was just so hard to get any change in there.
Speaker 1: That's why they all hated Rumsfeld. He you know, I think a Rumsfeld Rumsfeld pre nine to eleven, the first eight months he had this I remember id he had Bill Clinton's support for it, like he wanted he really wanted to redo procurement. It was very and there it was this revolt against Rumsfeld from the uniform and from the defense contractors. Nine to eleven happens and he gets bulldozed on his reform efforts.
Speaker 2: I have a sort of a Rumsfeld was a friend of mine and I spent a lot of time with him, And actually after nine to eleven, I took a group of people from the Silicon Valley and to introduce technology, and Rumsfeld loved that we met on a regular basis.
Speaker 1: But he was always wanting to be an innovator in that area.
Speaker 2: I just think he is an innovator.
Speaker 1: What happened, the politics didn't allow it for it to happen. Right.
Speaker 2: Part of it chuck with Rumsfeld in my opinion, and I don't know that anybody else will agree with me, is that when he was trying to tell the military I want to have a big role in managing this war. He was so popular, remember the press conferences. He was like a matinee idol for a while.
Speaker 1: I think sort of got like Andrew Cuomo covid status right that that brief period before it.
Speaker 2: But I think where he went too far is he didn't pull the military in to say, look, what do you think, But I think they laid in wait for him and then they kind of did him in. But back to the Pentagon, you see you said something. They keep saying we have new systems, new weapons. No we don't. No, if you look at Ukraine, okay, the power of Ukraine is the commanders out there in the field have the ability to design their own weapons. The Pentagon is a giant bureaucracy. And so what's happening now is there are these new systems run by these tech companies that hold real promise. But the difficulty is I think I read somewhere the other day they talk a big game in the Pentagon, but only one percent of the money goes to new systems. Why because the old systems. Ron Dellams remember Ron Ellams? Yeah?
Speaker 1: He and I look, he was an anti war guy. He was was he a black panther or just black?
Speaker 2: He was involved.
Speaker 1: He was involved in the in theland, right, he was part of the movement. This is Oakland and Ron Dellams. I've heard this from others. Everybody thought he's going to be Chairman of Armed Services, this is going to be you know, piece nick, And it was never that he was.
Speaker 2: He was great.
Speaker 1: I have heard nothing but great things of how he managed that committee. He understood, he understood something that I wish more Americans understood. It's called pluralism, which means we're going to have a group of people that disagree, but we're going to figure out how to solve problems anyway. Sorry, so spenting.
Speaker 2: And he and I went after the beat the B two bomber. Yeah, he and I wanted to build thirteen. The Pentagon wanted one hundred and thirty two. And how did we get together. I sat in a briefing and they were telling me that we were going to fly the B two over the Soviet Union in the middle of a nuclear war and look for targets. And I'm thinking, well, wait a minute, how many how many weapons do you need? One's going to ruin your whole day.
Speaker 1: I was just going to say that we're worried about the number. The second the response, what are we going to do after it begins?
Speaker 2: Chuck? It took us, but we ended up. The Pentagon ended up. I reached an agreement with Cheney, who hated me for it, that we would build twenty. We went from one hundred and thirty two down to twenty. Now you know what, it took ten years to get this agreement. Ten years so, and I said, we don't need to kill the system. We need to have standoff weapons, new things to think about. Not that I was a genius in this. I had good staff, But the fact is, trying to change that building is very difficult. I understand that there are some people in there who were good and we have to see where it all goes. But I can tell you this is a and you're I mean, how many tanks do we need to build now? And here's the problem. Let me go back to V two. This is why I was telling them not to promote myself. The windshield was bar was built in one city, The wings were built in another state, the tires were built in another state. They loaded all these systems up so they all had a constituency that supported them.
Speaker 1: What if I told you, though, that both Boeing and Northrop Grumm and now have their headquarters in Arlington, Virginia. What does that tell you about how the Pentagon? I mean, you want to talk about corporate capture, You want to talk about sort of that pipeline, and you want to know why you can't you can't. You can't reform the Pentagon because what happens to people that are running today's Pentagon? Where do they go work? John?
Speaker 2: They need to work private sex companies, I know exactly.
Speaker 1: And then so and all of it is designed to preserve the system that exists, rather than say, how do we innovate and how do we think about the wars of tomorrow? Okay, my goodness, we've been exposed. That's my point. What the hell have we been spending all this money on? And we're getting our at We lost the straight.
Speaker 2: Of horror moves. I'm sorry? What did we do? No? But here here's the thing I would tell you. And I was not as optimistic as you about the moderates and all that other stuff, or people are rejecting whatever we were talking about earlier. I am an optimist that we have leaders who have good intentions, and I think it is possible for the whole Pentagon to be reformed with a group of people who say this is what we're going to do. And I do. I think it's very possible. I've sawt I've seen it done. I saw it done back in the old days. I think it can happen again. But what we have to what people have to ask themselves. And we're kind of back to this whole thing. You and I kibbots about who are you answering to? Are you answering to the pocketbook? Are you answering or are you answering to your family? And are you answering to a higher power? Because that way your intentions will be the right intentions in my opinion, not in all cases and not in all ways. But it's called leadership. It's called having character and saying I'm here for a short period of time, let's improve this. And I don't give up the fact that we can get that done. I don't dismiss the notion that we could get people in the media, in television who begin to say to get together and say, look, can we call off the message just to our base. I mean, I'm an optimist. You are an optimist. We got to That's why we got to keep doing our thing, give people the hope.
Speaker 1: It's interesting you say that. I mean, look, the I think the legacy media business, Uh, there's not a market for that, right and I don't I wish there were. I think the market for people that I think kind of agree where you and I come from are a bunch of people who like I just I'm turning off the noise. Yeah, and what you hate is that they can't disengage. And that's been the issue they've got to. It goes back to why aren't they fighting back? What is your pro active I know what you're against, Like, there's this you know you saw look what happened in Wisconsin. It turned out there's a majority that don't want whoa whoa, whoa, whoa whoa. We like Thanksgiving, but if she never says cancel Thanksgiving, she wins that primary right that turned into the shiny metal object going whoa, Well that's a little bit too much. But I can't tell you what David Crawley is for John Yeah, you know he succeeded by being against that.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: And that's been how that's that's how the center right or the center has survived. They've just been a bulwark against there's no and now maybe they would argue those that are in that space, whether you're Lisa Murkowski or or who's left in the center, left in the in the Democrats, Let's say, Mark Kelly, Hey, you gotta you know, you gotta wait till there's a moment. You know, you gotta wait right now, we're just in retreat. You know, that's why I agree with that. But you know, Chuck, you you are so good at history too. Let me ask you this question. Throughout American political history, who have been the ones that, and I mean this rose above the den and every every every generation has a din that you need to rise above. Who are the ones that electrified the country in a positive way?
Speaker 2: The ones that really came out of nowhere or you know, who are they?
Speaker 1: Let's start thinking about them because I have a theory. This is why I'm an advocate of if you look at most of our change movements, John, in our history, they were outsiders. They weren't necessarily either major party. Right reform movements don't get adopted by major parties. They get co opted, meaning, oh, all right, it's inevitable. So now let's go ahead and be for it. Right, you just sort of accept you're like, you fight it, you fight it. Like, take the small thing of open primaries, right, Neither political party wants open primaries until they feel like it's their only way to win, and then suddenly, right it becomes a necessity. Okay, we'll be for open primaries in state acts, but we're still going to fight open primaries in state why because we think close primaries helped us here, open primaries help us there. So it's a little bit of transactionalism on that. But for the most part, Abe Lincoln, third party guy people forget this right, went to joined a brand new party. Left the Wigs joined a brand new party in order to get something done. Teddy Roosevelt left his party in order to get something done. You know, FDR, it took, frankly, it took it took an economic collapse before there was and it really took FDR second term that he really sort of galvanized the country for change and things like this. So I look at some of those examples and think that I don't think you're going to find the next great sort of leader from one of the two parties. It's either going to be somebody that leaves one of the two parties to say, look, I need to be unshackled here, because the only way the public's going to trust me is if I'm not part of that part of that party anymore, part of that brand. But I look at our history and the biggest changes we've made were started by outside entities. The right to get women, the right to vote, direct election of senators was an outsider thing. The idea of the of the income tax came from the outside. That's why I keep searching for the great outsider hope.
Speaker 2: The end of prohibition. The end of prohibition would have been another one, right, I mean, yeah, that's really really that's a really interesting point, that that maybe the change has to come from the outside. You remember in modern time, you know Ross.
Speaker 1: Perot, I think he made Do you think Bill Clinton's a budget balancer without Ross Paro?
Speaker 2: Nope, me, neither or not.
Speaker 1: And I don't mean that to denigrate Bill Clinton. I think Bill Clinton's a smart politician. He went, oh, there's votes over here for it. Oh, by the way, there's then he hit Bob Ruben tells him how it makes financial sense, and then he's all in. Right, But it took the voters threatening him. Essentially, Look what Republicans over time have become to question free trade that you know, do we do? You know? I would argue Pero also started to introduce that mindset of hey, you know, so he was this outsider agitator that was tapping into constituencies in both parties, and I do think both parties tried to tried to respond in a defensive posture, but it did have an impact. So I do I view Ross Perot as a very successful independent.
Speaker 2: He was an amazing guy. He come to see me and he would walk in my office, no no security, no nothing. Yeah, it was hi Ross Paro's John Here. I'll tell you another guy that we should that we never hold up. Ralph Nader.
Speaker 1: Yeah, another one outside agitator that did it great. By the way, to read the Today's Times where we're talking on a Monday, August seventeenth, did a terrific sort of Ralph Nader's still around, and it's like I'm aware of this. I get these notes from him and everyone. So I've had a relationship with him on and off for good thirty years, and you know, he's still all there, and he's still you know, he's tried to get a Wall Street tax at all.
Speaker 2: But he I mean, like, you know, God bless him.
Speaker 1: I mean, but if Ralph Nader didn't exist, we'd all half of us would be you know, would be maimed by big companies. You know.
Speaker 2: Well, I had a bill at one point, Chuck tried to form a little group to in corporate welfare, and he came to the Hill and talked about it, and of course I couldn't get anybody to sign up to the constat was for it, right, he was for no. It was because they had to go against their own constituency. You didn't want to do that, right, I mean, he wasn't.
Speaker 1: But that's a really interesting thing to change. Let me tell you one thing about Ralph Nader that people under us. You know, Ralph Nader tried to always he was an outsider who tried to change, use the system itself to create change. Meaning he didn't you know, he doesn't. He wasn't mister like, let's abolish the Senate. Yeah, okay, there's You're not getting anything done by just saying abolish the Senate.
Speaker 2: It's realistic. It's bold, but realistic, and saying about these people in the middle be bold.
Speaker 1: Actually though that was natter. Nader worked within the system start a new organization, but it was designed to influence the system that existed, not some pie in the sky idea of a system that's never going to exist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you're going to get a group of people on the outside. They're going to start turning against these tech companies. And why was tech companies you know, I think that's going to happen at some point. I'll tell you.
Speaker 1: I just spent I spent about five days going down the rabbit hole of I got obsessed with this Lakers sale and sort of with Mark Walter and why did he have to sell so fast? It's such a strange thing. Fourteen months after buying and he flips it and this is not who he is. And then you start to dig in and what his businesses are. And then I started to understand private credit. You were in this space, so I want to ask you, and I understand how private credit became such a big thing. Basically, as banks had to raise their standards and raise their capitalization it you know that they're there, they were going to become more restrictive in how much money they lent. And so I could see how private credit ended up.
Speaker 2: Len funds and private equity, and right.
Speaker 1: Well, it turns out this Mark Walter, you know what he was doing, and what apparently a lot of private equity does, which is they buy an insurance company, life insurance company and life insurance companies in particular, because they have constant flows of cash coming in, you borrow against that capital in order to essentially have more money. For instance, that was as essentially as collateral to buy the Dodgers. And I'm I'm absolutely shorthanding this. I'm to I spent a big chunk of time explaining it. But the more I read into this, the more it was like, John, this feels like we are We're so blind. There's an entire other eco financial ecosystem that exists that is outside the public market and outside the banking sector, and that strikes me as very dangerous for the future of capitalism.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, if you think, you know what I read the other day that kids sports, They're like, what did I hear? Forty million? What was that number, Chevy that they said they were spending forty billion, fathers and fathers spending money, spending money on kids sports.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Private equities now trying to buy all that stuff. Yeah, I'm always worried about private equity. You know where they're they're they're buying every dentist, dental practice there is, and you know, you wonder what is the impact of that. And that's something that is another issue that that you know, how.
Speaker 1: Would you begin Let me ask you this. You strike me as sort of You've got a lot of Teddy Roosevelt in you get. I know, I'm guessing he's got to be one of your favorite favorite presidents. How would Teddy Roosevelt tackle an equity? Do you think?
Speaker 2: Well? I think I think chuck on any of these issues. You've got to get people who are really knowledgeable. You and I cannot design the plan to fix that equity. I agree, I mean it scares me. Yeah, And I can convene the best and figure out what the guardrails are. It's the same with AI. What are the guardrails? The thing I worry about on AI, for example, is there are no people who can make the laws who understand enough about it. And have they called other people in who are experts, who aren't biased? Who are you know of the public good? The same thing would be true in this. You would have to you know, when I became governor, I said that I was going when I was running, I said I'm going to get rid of economic development in the state of Ohio, and I created an independent, not for profit entity called Jobs Ohio. We've gone from forty seven in the country to number one. We are now the number one job creator in America. And it's because we created as syst them that was privatized, but we also put guardrails around it. Now, over time, I think in some ways it's been weakened, but we're still doing really well.
Speaker 1: And can you get into the details of that. Can you explain, because you're right like every community has this economic development right program of sorts. Yeah, that we work with those public private What was it that that didn't work that yours? What did you do differently just no public money?
Speaker 2: What? What?
Speaker 1: What would you how would you say is the biggest difference in what you created.
Speaker 2: What we did, Chuck, is we are a control state, and so we get money from liquor, right, and we created this entity and we went to Wall Street and we we went up there looking for bonds, which we got at a good price because because when times are good, people drink, when times are bad, they drink more, So the bonds work really well. These were good. Then I took that money, the proceeds from the bond, and I hired private sector people who were experts in about five or six different categories. How did you afford them.
Speaker 1: Were they willing to take lesser salaries than what would get that at a private economy because did you compete in the market.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we could do that. We could pay enough to get them. And it's been a fantastic thing. We had a board made up of business people. Now they've had some hiccups lately, which I've pointed out publicly, but we went from forty seven to number one in the country today because we've got people in business dealing with people in business. I always like to tell the story in the old days in the Department of Development in the state when somebody got off the phone, somebody said, who were you talking to? Well, I was talking to Jamie Diamond. Oh what did she want? Jamie Diamond is not annoying, Okay. So in our jobs, Ohio, in the private sector, the board is there to regulate. So what do they do. Yeah, they go out and they search for companies and they gives incentives. But the incentives are based on a return on investment. So I mean, this is I don't want to get any too deep here, but what I'm saying to you is it was a new, big bold idea that some people thought was crazy it's been a great success, and I didn't do it on my own. I had a half x That's my point. I had to have a lot of people who were experts, bond counts, consolors and lawyers and everybody to help me fix it. So when you're asking me about private equity, I think the answer to that is you've got to get the best people in to say what are the limits that should be placed on it.
Speaker 1: Well, look, what's been interesting and digging into this is is what you figure out. You know, if the financial crisis was an indictment of the regulators that they were asleep at the switch private credit, this isn't that issue there. It just turns out that the regulators, there's almost these private equity funds are able to pick the regulator they want to deal with. So if you are, for instance, using life insurance money, well you get to deal with state regulators, and that's a different group of entities. If you're in one another space, maybe you're dealing with the SEC, or you're dealing with another federal regulator. But the fact that so many different entities are involved, it actually puts the advantage in the private equity fund to sort of cherry pick wherever they think they can get the best, the most favorable, the most favorable oversight. That's probably the way to do it.
Speaker 2: But Chuck, here's the thing. The private equity money comes from. It's VOLUNTI. We give up to them, sure, and we take the risk that it will go bad because a lot of times the private equity doesn't make returns and you'd be better putting your money in the bank or put your money in a mutual fund. So let's not get carried away. Although I am carried away by the fact that these small market teams can't compete anymore. The Dodgers have all the money and the pirates can't win squat because they don't have any revenue.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what's going to end up having is that then what happens these owners decide all right, UAE sovereign fund, do you want ten percent? And then they get the valuation and they borrow the money. I mean, I do think that you know, these these these leagues are addicted to raising the valuation of their franchises. What's the best way to do it, bring in more private equity or bring in outside sovereign funds. I don't know. If we're going to like that in twenty years. But we'll see.
Speaker 2: Can you believe all that we've been covering today? All right, let me le let's get out, let me get you out on this.
Speaker 1: It's an election year. You know Ohio as well as anybody. Is Ohio purple again? Or is this just a bad year for Republicans?
Speaker 2: Well, Chuck, look your opinion matters as much as mine because you've studied it for so long. I don't think we're a red state. I think you know, when you take a look at Youngstown and Cleveland and Toledo and those are not those are not Republican areas basically, but have become Republican areas. What do I think will happen over time? I think many of them will drift back to the to what they naturally have been, which is a split state, you know, one of these contested states. That's what I think over time. What do you maybe not yet?
Speaker 1: But I think I mean, look, look, you're well, let me all right, let's take both races here. I was a skeptic that Sharon Brown could win a senencee back because it's a tough year to be because I'd rather run from the outside, like, how does he is he running? Is he running for reelection? Or is it you know what I mean? And I just thought it would be difficult. It's proving not to be, I think, But I mean, we'll see maybe the polls. You know, he definitely is being you know, there's been a consistent lead there. What do you attribute it to? How much of it is name I D and houstage is not well known yet, and how much of it is Buyer's remorse on Trump?
Speaker 2: I think I think you've you've hit on it. I think that that what name id and the fact that Eustad has none of the advantages of incumbency and all the disadvantages of not having been elected in his own right. And I don't I think it's just too close to call. And shared shared's a tough campaign or I mean, he's just a tough you know, he's not quite Howard Metzenbaum, but he said people wuldn't even know who that is.
Speaker 1: But I just all you need to know about Howard Metzenbom the guy beat John Glenn in a primary, all right, And I'm sorry. If you can beat an American hero in a primary, you're one tough SLB.
Speaker 2: Right, I still don't understand how he did.
Speaker 1: It was the historical o'domies. Yeah, you're like, it's an unlikable guy beat the American hero in a primary.
Speaker 2: How did that happen? That's exactly right. So I think that when you think about like Youngstown, it was like, yeah, we're going to go after the system and then Youngstown. You know, the things are struggling, so it I think it's going to tend to to change, to kind of move back. What what do you think, Well, let me ask you this. I look, I think.
Speaker 1: I think Ohio strikes me as a as a transition state. Right if before you got there, i'd say, in your first term, the assumption was Ohio was shrinking, you know, just like every northern state, every industrial state, that it was no longer a growth state.
Speaker 2: I do feel like over the.
Speaker 1: Last ten to fifteen years, Ohio has done a particularly in central Ohio. Right, you look at Columbus and the Greater Columbus area. It's huge, it is huge and even. But you also see it in northern Kentucky, which has had a which which has helped with Cincinnati. You know, to me, like it's really just Cleveland needs a little more help, although even the Cleveland downtown is better today than it has been.
Speaker 2: You know, there's no doubt.
Speaker 1: I am pretty bullish like Ohio is going to be I think, you know, as people realize, I think domestic migration is going to benefit Ohio right when people look for afford places to live where they can raise their family. So I think that that's I think, you know, everybody's moved to the sun Belt for a quick period of time because of COVID, but now inflation's going to drive him back, right, Like it is really expensive to live in South Florida, whether be Florida Southwest Florida.
Speaker 2: I do think.
Speaker 1: But let me ask you this. It the next governor of Ohio is either going to be the first non white person elected or the first woman elected in her own right. I know that there was a What do you think is the harder barrier to break, the one that vivik Ramaswami's trying to break, or the one that Amy Acting is trying to break.
Speaker 2: I think it's that that the Republican has a big ton of money, and I think that probably at the end of the day, is what's going to make the difference he's going to spend it. And but I mean again, it's I'm surprised, but I think it's very close. I thought he would win going away.
Speaker 1: I'm not surpris eyes that he's struggling here. And I'll just be honest, I've got one is I I look, I think he's kind of pro polarizing, right. I do think the Doge thing, the Elon Musk, there's a little bit of he doesn't he's not Mike the Wine and John Kasick, Right, there isn't this Midwestern I don't know how else to put it, but this sort of can't we all just take a step back here a second?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: That doesn't feel like that's a viv Ramaswami type of instinct, right that he doesn't strike me as a convener you and the Wine. You know, Ted Stricklett, you know, there's a just a temperament and he strikes me as not having the temperament that Ohioans want in a governor, which is why if you if he loses, I will believe it's less about just a red versus blue Democratic turnout was upper. I think there's a slice of voter that that will be turned off by his personality.
Speaker 2: Maybe also, Chuck, I hate to say this, but I think there is some race.
Speaker 1: Well, you saw what happened in Michigan to the Republican that they had Trump's endorsement. His name was Amir Hassan and in it, in it, And that is something I'm wondering about. To the spillover effect. You're gonna have a Republican party nationally pour all this. Frankly, let's call it what it is, Islamic phobic, islamophobic messaging in Michigan. Does that inadvertently hurt Ramaswami?
Speaker 2: No, I don't think so. No, I don't think. I don't know. I don't think it's spills over here. We've got we've got big walls between Ohio and Michigan. You know, we don't Well, I don't think so. I don't know. I mean, it's it's it's and I just saw.
Speaker 1: You see what happened to this This congressional candidate literally loses to somebody who dropped out whose name was as lily white as you could have. I think it was like Tom Rice or something right, it was like very was or Tom Smith. It was like very innocuous.
Speaker 2: I think fundamentally that you you've hit the nail on the head. Is the Republican candidate for governor appealing enough to people and make them feel comfortable, and but their messages there's there's no message. I mean, it's that's the problem.
Speaker 1: Well, and the other thing, it sounds like the time we're betting, I would bet he'll win.
Speaker 2: You, yeah, I would bet.
Speaker 1: I am curious though, do you think his plan to potentially consolidate some Ohio universities pissed off enough communities that he's going to get blowback in areas he didn't expect to get blowback?
Speaker 2: Well, you know that's a that's a that is a in order to do that, chuck, And look, the problem we have today is these private institutions are barely making it. And the idea that you're going to put them together like has happened here at Otterbune where they work with Antioch to try to share things they wanted to do. Even more than that, that's kind of the wave of the future. But it's all the way you introduce it and bring it out. And I have to tell you that universities are there. That's another one that's so hard to change. And it's it's tough now. I actually tell you the funny story is back we had money that would go into capital budgets, and I had Gordon Gee, who you know is an amazing guy, former president of every school, and he and I created it so that we said, if you need money, we'll give it to you. And if you don't need money, we're not giving it to you. And you need to work with us and cooperat or we will have no money. So you got to use sort of You've got to have leverage, you got to have you got to be able to smile. I mean, it's complicated to be a good leader. There's a mixture of things you have to do. You have to be affable, you have to be tough. You've got to know when to you know, it's being a leader is a hard thing. A big leader there takes a certain amount. It's a formula that allows you to to really overcome a lot of hurdles.
Speaker 1: Let me, let's let's leave.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna tell me. I want to tell you one other thing here if we can't, I went down down to West Virginia to a place called the Pete Die Club to play golf with a friend of mine who's been a member forever.
Speaker 1: And it's right by the famous famous golf course.
Speaker 2: Designer, right. And there's a little town down there that that is really Clarksburg. And they have part of the road closed off and we had a detour, and Chuck, I got to tell you, I my hometown of McKees Rocks has been very tough place. I mean, a couple of years ago it was the number one per capita murder rate in the state of Pennsylvania. I mean, okay, tough. That's where I grew up, Clarksburg. The poverty that I saw, Chuck, it's it's haunting me. I mean, homes put together by a string. I talked to a guy who is a Clarksburgh resident, a big one. But I don't want to mention them. Get them in trouble, he said. In that part of Clarksburg, it's either drugs, homelessness. Uh, he said, it's it's just terrible.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, how do you give up on a Part of what I don't get is these communities, because I've seen it in my own hometown in Miami. If you neglect the community, it's going to be terrible. If you show up and say hey, we want to help. You can make a community better. To know, that's local leadership. I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Well, I left a message for a big time official in West Virginia and I said, you know, when I looked at this, it makes me want to cry when I see abject poverty in in your state, and we know what we can do to improve conditions. Please let's do it. Yeah, you know poverty, Chuck, right, I remember, Remember how about the.
Speaker 1: Fact that Bobby Kennedy Junior does not Junior see me? Kennedy Senior does this Appellation tour about highlighting poverty And I'm sorry. That was fifty eight years ago and we're still.
Speaker 2: That must have been, right, What a tour that must have been.
Speaker 1: You could do the same. John Edwards did a similar tour. I remember he did it No. Seven and sadly, you know, people did a bunch of stories how it was sort of like, oh great, so every generation somebody's going to notice. But doesn't mean we do anything about it.
Speaker 2: It means people there have got it. It's like you were talking about leaders. Somebody on the outside has to say this is not this is intolerable. But you know, Chuck, I know that it exists. I know a lot.
Speaker 1: I've seen a lot of poor people, but this thing just rocked me. You know, this is why I'm like, Then that's on that note. Then let me end on this one, which is, who's a couple of young leaders that you've been impressed with over the last year or two, that you've watched that you're just killed whether you know them or not, and that maybe you saw them in your thought. I want to give that person a call. I want to get to know them. They strike me as maybe they're going to be one of the good change agents.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, one of the guys I like. And I'd have to really give that a lot more thought. But I like this Brian Fitzpatrick over in Pennsylvania. I mean he's he's a stand up guy. He's a he's a pretty tough guy.
Speaker 1: He's the guy that the Republican that pushes back against MAGA, right, Yeah, but I mean he's.
Speaker 2: Just is no, he's like, has no fear and I and I look at him and I like him, and he and I know each other, and uh, I like him a lot. Let me, I'd have to think more about who it is that I don't know. I'd have to give it, to give it some more thought, like who who jumps out? Because there are people that that I notice are significant, and I think it's I think it's men and women who really want to make a difference. By the way, I read this story here recently about Hayden Paniteer who wrote that book about the struggles in her life, and they found out at a very young age they found her dead. And there's another one that kind of breaks your heart. I mean, it's so funny what we do when we talk, because we cover so many things, right, and when people see us doing this, they're like, I mean, these guys have a rapport that and I love it. It's just it's because it stretches our brains in a way, don't you think.
Speaker 1: Well, it's I think at the end of the day, I don't know about you. I know that people sometimes view a politician a journalist that we're supposed to not be human, that were these sort of cookie cutter figures. And I think that you know, I know you rejected. I rejected. I hate yeah, But that's the problem is that that's right, Like I have to, like I always have to overcome the assumption that well, you were on TV, so you weren't really you don't really know, you don't go deep on anything. And it's like, no, I am a history junkie, and yeah, I do like to go you know. But there's this quote perception of the TV people, right, just like the politicians. You guys just you know, you're just caring about the next donor and stuff, right, And I think sort of you and I have both been. You know. It's almost like we we hate that stereotype so much, we're looking to always poke the finger, and that's probably right.
Speaker 2: What about what about Miami this year? Are they going to have any kind of a football team?
Speaker 1: I feel pretty good. I am a I am way too bullish like I have.
Speaker 2: I I think.
Speaker 1: They're on a I think they're on a mission. I am, but I think they could be on a mission. I think they're built the right way. They lost the right way. We got a better quarterback this time. I'm curious, do you think Miami broke? Julian saying do you think we broke? Julian saying.
Speaker 2: No, I definitely, I will find out. I will tell you this. It's amazing exposed.
Speaker 1: We exposed that offense us in Indiana exposed that offensive line, didn't.
Speaker 2: We Yeah, you know, the whole thing I always think about with Ohio State is why is it we're being outstrengthed? You know, why are why are we not tough enough?
Speaker 1: You know, you should be tougher than the Indiana Yeah, exactly, you're right, damn it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know the rate number one this year again, and they keep getting these recruits. It's unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Well, it's big budgets. Man, it's amazing, it is. I'm going to I get you going to Ohio State, Texas. You gotta go down to Austin.
Speaker 2: No, No, I'm not sure much of a fan as you are.
Speaker 1: But that's a great You know why you should go because I think you'd enjoy that atmosphere. It's I mean, it's a great stadium.
Speaker 2: You'd enjoy it.
Speaker 1: You'd probably get I'm sure you'd know people that would give you a nice seat.
Speaker 2: Oh. You know, there's nothing more X than an X. First of all, there's nothing more X than an ex congressman. And there's really nothing more X than an ex governor. Yeah, or governor. It just doesn't know all those perks and everything. Really. Yeah, No, you know, I tell you. I went to get my I had a nail in my tire. Yeah, and I go to the tire store. I'm going to save this for for my uh hey, by the way, can people know that I have tell me show?
Speaker 1: Yes? Please go tell them?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean it's called the John Kaseik Show. It's on Serious XM, and I I would I think they'd enjoyed. It's it's you know, it's not heavy political, but it's it's interesting show. It's easy to listen to. So I hope they'll they'll tune into it. But I went to this tire store, chuck with a nail. I was into that Tower tire store for six hours and you might say to me. And so I was on with Matt Buye, the journalist. I said, I'm not telling anybody what I used. He goes, why don't you tell them who you are? He said, no, I'm not going to do that. And I don't think they care anyway. They might make me wait seven hours. Here's what I want to tell you. Six hours tires.
Speaker 1: Here's what I want to tell you. Have you not heard of these mobile tire people?
Speaker 2: I just got a nail and no, no, no, this came to my house. I bought the tire. They replaced it Tesla. They do Tesla's No, well, I don't know about this. Do you wan anything about a mobile tire place that comes to your house? No, we never. I mean I got people that I got people. Oh buddy, go check it out. All right. I can't believe neither one and neither one of.
Speaker 1: Us have tired people as our sponsors.
Speaker 2: But all right, we'll see you soon. Good to see your brother,