Speaker 1: Welcome to the iHeartRadio and Coast to Coast AM paranormal podcast network. Now get ready for us Strange Things with Joshua P.
Speaker 2: Warren.
Speaker 3: Welcome to our podcast. Please be aware the thoughts and opinions expressed by the host are their thoughts and opinions only and do not reflect those of iHeartMedia, iHeartRadio, Coast to Coast AM, employees of Premiere Networks, or their sponsors and associates. We would like to encourage you to do your own research and discover the subject matter for yourself.
Speaker 4: Ready to be amazed by the Wizard of Weird. This is Strange with Joshua E.
Speaker 5: Wara.
Speaker 6: I am Joshua FEE Warren, and each week on this show, I'll be bringing you brand new mind blowing content, news, exercises, and weird experiments you can do at home, and a lot more on this edition of the show. Pink Floyd and the Wizard of Oz. Many years ago, when I was in my twenties, I had a friend in western North Carolina who was a bit of an amateur horticulturalist with quite a green thumb, and one evening he and his wife invited me and my wife Lauren to attend a special event at his house. He had prepared quite an array of Blue Ridge Mountain party accoutremah and as we were enjoying ourselves in the living room, he brought out a boombox and put it beside the television. He popped a VHS tape of The Wizard of Oz into the machine started playing the movie. Now, of course, this is an MGM production, So at the beginning of the movie there is the famous lion and he roars three times, and right in the middle of the third roar of the MGM Lion, he started playing the Pink Floyd album called The Dark Side of the Moon, And the volume on the TV was primarily down, so what we were really listening to, of course, was Pink Floyd, and he was telling us how incredibly the album would synchronize with the events happening on screen. And so when we first started watching it, I mean, I recall like in the first few minutes, we kind of seem like maybe the music was matching up a little bit with some of the moods you were seeing on screen. But then all of a sudden, it takes a big turn when you finally see for the very first time the woman who portrays the Wicked Witch come riding into town on her bicycle. Because as soon as she appears on screen on the album Dark Side of the Moon, there is this big, obnoxious, alarming clattering of.
Speaker 4: Bells boom boom boom.
Speaker 6: Some of you, I'm sure probably know that album inside out, and you know what I'm talking about. These alarming bells play as soon as she comes. I mean, I'm telling you, like the instant she comes on to the screen, and then from there things start to match up quite eerily. Sometimes it's the tone of the music, sometimes it's the words.
Speaker 4: I mean.
Speaker 6: The next big thing that really really struck me was this point when after the tornado, Dorothy opens the door of the house that she was in, and of course the whole movie switches from black and white into color. And as soon as she opens the door to Oz the song Money begins to play. You hear the kitching, catching sounds and the boom boom boom boom boom boom boom do and I mean, it's it starts to become so eerie at that point that you start really getting goosebumps. And I remember, you know, Lauren and I we we watched some sections of this synchronization just the other day to refresh myself a little bit, and we were just saying, like, how is it possible.
Speaker 4: That this could be an accident? It had to be.
Speaker 6: Planned when you really start looking at some of these moments which are just dead on. And so it occurred to me that I had not really gone back and all these years later and looked into that phenomenon to sort of figure out what was happening, because we were saying, Laurena and I were saying to each other, you know, if this was not planned, then how could this be Because it's not like that you're just trying to force certain pieces of music onto scenes. I mean, I'm telling you, it's like the songs start and stop on a dime with some of these scenes, and I mean, it truly is eerie when you watch it if you think that it wasn't planned.
Speaker 4: And so.
Speaker 6: This phenomenon is what many people call the Dark Side of the Rainbow, also known as Dark Syde of Oz or the Wizard of Floyd. So defined simply enough, it is the pairing of the nineteen seventy three Pink Floyd album The Dark Side of the Moon with the nineteen thirty nine film The Wizard of Oz, and it produces numerous moments of apparent synchronicity where the film and the album appear to correspond. So how did this start? Like? Where did this all begin? Where did this come from? Who was the first person.
Speaker 4: Who even noticed that this?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 4: Who thought to play those things together like that?
Speaker 6: Right? That's question number one. So I looked into it, and here's I'm going to actually give you a little more detail than I usually would, just because I think something like this warrants that. Okay, So apparently here's the deal. In August of nineteen ninety five, the Fort Wayne Journal Gazette in Indiana published an article by a man named Charles Savage suggesting that readers watch the nineteen thirty nine film The Wizard of Oz while listening to the Pink Floyd album. So this starts in nineteen ninety five, not that long ago. According to Savage, if you start the album as the MGM lion roars on screen quote, the result is astonishing. It's as if the movie were one long art film music video for the album, song lyrics and titles match the action and plot. The music swells and falls with characters movements, expect to see firm coincidences to make you wonder whether the whole thing was planned end quote. And commonly noted instances of synchronicity include singer Claire Torre's howls on the Great Gig in the Sky during the film's tornado scene and the album's final fading heartbeat while Dorothy listens to the Tin Woodsman's non existent heart. Fans created websites and the experience. Fans created websites about the experience and cataloged moments of synchronicity. In April nineteen ninety seven, the DJ George Taylor Morris discussed Dark Side of the Rainbow on Boston Radio, and July of two thousand, Turner Classic Movies aired The Wizard of Oz with the option of synchronizing the broadcast to the album using the SAP audio channel. So there are other occasions where this has been done.
Speaker 4: Okay, so you say, all right, well why did this guy say to do this?
Speaker 6: All it tells you is, Savage said. The idea was first shared on an online Pink Floyd newsgroup. That's it. That's the source. Like you know, a newsgroup is basically something like like a chat room, you know, back in the day that was very popular in the nineteen nineties. Social media wasn't anywhere close to where it is today, of course, and so people would get on these chat rooms and you would see a bunch of threads and apparently there was just some something similar to that where people would discuss pink Floyd. And so somebody at some point on one of these newsgroups suggested that you play pink Floyd while watching The Wizard of Oz and how to synchronize. And we don't apparently even know who that person was. Now, there are a lot of people who listen to this podcast, So if you happened to if you happened to be that person who first figured this out or you know who did it, let me know. Okay, you can email me through my website, Joshua Poron dot com. That's that would be interesting to know who thought of this and how it came about.
Speaker 4: So, okay, well, what's the response been.
Speaker 6: Of Pink Floyd have denied any connection between the album and the film. The guitarist David Gilmour dismissed it as the product of quote some guy with too much time on his hands end quote. The bassist Roger Waters said it was bs and that it had nothing to do with anyone who worked on the album. The drummer Nick Mason said, quote, it's absolute nonsense. It has nothing to do with the Wizard of Oz. It was all based on the sound of music.
Speaker 4: End quote.
Speaker 6: The Dark Side of the Moon engineer Alan Parsons also denied any connection, saying the band had no means of playing videotapes in the studio at the time of recording. He said he was disappointed by the results when he tried doing this. So anyway, these guys are saying, Nope, absolutely not. There is that we did not, in any way whatsoever try to connect this album to the Wizard of Oz, and I believe them. So this makes it even weird, then, doesn't it. Because if they did not do this intentionally, and yet it syncs up so dramatically, so perfectly at so many points in so many ways, what's going on here?
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 6: What's the deeper meaning behind this? Why are these synchronicities there? Well, when we come back from this break, I'm going to give you some of my thoughts on this, as well as some interesting thoughts about some other movie stuff and cinema stuff that's been popping up in my life lately. You know, it's about time for me to start giving away some goodies, some free prizes, stuff that I send you, ship to you, physical stuff in the mail if you subscribe to my free E newsletter.
Speaker 4: And I got to tell you I have something so cool.
Speaker 6: I paid hundreds of dollars to get something from my own collection the other day, and it's so cool. I said, you know what, I'm going to buy two of them, one for me and one to give away to a lucky subscriber. That's the kind of thing that's coming up soon. So if you want to be a subscriber, go to Joshua Pwarren dot com. Right there on the homepage, you'll see the slimer green letters where you put in your email address, hit the submit button and you'll be a subscriber to my free and spam Free E newsletter. And when you do that, you will instantly receive an automated email from me that gives you some well free online digital gifts, good luck charms, my money, magic secrets, some PDFs, all kinds of good stuff. Sign up at Joshua Pwarren dot com.
Speaker 4: That's me. I am Joshua P.
Speaker 6: Warren, and you were listening to strange things all on the iHeartRadio and Coast to Coast AM Paranormal Podcast Network.
Speaker 4: And I will be right back.
Speaker 7: Stay right there, there's more Joshua P. Warren coming right out.
Speaker 2: At paranormal date dot com, you meet the most fantastic people.
Speaker 4: Hi, I'm Tom.
Speaker 3: Hi I'm Jennifer.
Speaker 2: What brings you here?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm here to meet someone who understands me. Oh so well, I'm into UFOs, gohst aliens, Bigfoot, conspiracy theories, the paranormal, that kind of stuff, but can't seem to find anyone who gets it.
Speaker 2: Oh well, nice to meet you, Tom, I gotta go.
Speaker 8: Uh okay, I guess that's not your cup of tea.
Speaker 3: You sure very good luck with that.
Speaker 1: I can't meet.
Speaker 8: Anyone when I'm out, and I really can't find a website for my unique interest.
Speaker 4: What does one to do?
Speaker 2: Have you thought about Paranormal date dot com, paro dot What?
Speaker 4: Who are you?
Speaker 2: I'm a paranormal matchmaker and it's paranormal date dot com. It's a website for people looking for people like them. Stuff you like remember interesting.
Speaker 8: I'll give it a.
Speaker 2: Try Well, let's try this again.
Speaker 5: A Hi, I'm Tom.
Speaker 9: Hey, I'm deb Your profile on Paranormal Date dot Com looked very interesting. So you really saw a UFO.
Speaker 8: Well yeah, it was so intense, but not as intense as meaning you.
Speaker 9: You're an alien chasing flirt, but I kind of like it.
Speaker 8: Wow, this paranormal Date dot Com thing really works.
Speaker 2: Maybe Paranormal Date dot Com is for you. People with an interest in things they hear on Georgia's show find their match daily. So if you're looking for that special someone with an interest in UFOs, ghosts, aliens, bigfoot, conspiracy theories, and of course the paranormal, come to the dating site inspired by George Nori. It's always free to search, and if you decide to upgrade to our amazing new features, use promo code George for a great discount Paranormal Date dot Com. You are not alone.
Speaker 3: And now back to the iHeartRadio and Cost to cost Am Paranormal Podcast Network and Strange Things.
Speaker 6: Welcome back to Strange Things on the iHeartRadio and Coast to Coast to Him Paranormal Podcast Network.
Speaker 4: I am your host, the Wizard of Weird, Joshua P.
Speaker 6: Warren beaming into your worm whole brain from my studio in Sin City, Las Vegas, Nevada, where every day is golden and every night is silver.
Speaker 4: Getato zuume.
Speaker 6: And in fact, right now there are plans underway to build two new movie studios near my house here in Las Vegas, one to the north and one to the south. And so this is going to be interesting because a lot of people are moving out of California and they're coming here and starting production companies. I guess it's a much more affordable for one thing. Plus, there's plenty of land here. It's a blank slate. You can do whatever you want. And there are lots of famous people who live here in Las Vegas who are helping.
Speaker 4: To spearhead this.
Speaker 6: Nicholas Cage lives near me, Mark Wahlberg does, and guys like that have been going to the government and sort of cheerleading for tax breaks for production and everything.
Speaker 4: So it's kind of cool.
Speaker 6: When you when you live at a place like this entertainment capital of the world, to go out once in a while you have, you know, your celebrity sighting that's always just out of the blue. In fact, last night, Larne and I went to a steakhouse in a kind of an upscale suburb of Las Vegas. And this was close to dusk, I mean, the sun was still up. But as Larne and I were walking in the front door, there were a couple of men who were sitting there on the bench waiting for the valet to bring their car back. And the valet had just pulled the car up, and so one of the guys ran to get the car, and the other guy stood up and he kind of like stood up right in front of me. So there was a moment where we were kind of awkwardly in each other's way. And this guy had tan skin, black mustache, black shoulder linked hair, and he was wearing this fedora with a big jewel on the front, and he had all kinds of sort of south Western jewelry and stuff, and so you know, we we locked eyes, and again we had the awkward moment where we're about to walk into each other, and then I paused and said after you, and he nodded and was and so he just walked by me and he went on to this car, which was the valet only only parked the car like ten feet away. So anyway, I passed this h this and he's an older fella, you know. So I passed him and we walked in the door, and Lauren looks at me and goes, that was Carlos Santana.
Speaker 4: And I looked.
Speaker 6: At her and I was like, yeah, that was Carlos Santana. It's like I didn't when you see it's so funny when you see a celebrity out of the blue, unexpectedly, out of context. Often it just you do not put two and two together. And of course then I turned back around and I saw they were getting into a nice, fancy car, and it was I mean, it was obviously Carlo Santana, considered one of the greatest guitarists of all time, who obviously had just finished eating at the steakhouse. He's seventy six years old, you know, he was born in Mexico, even played at Woodstock. And it turns out I looked it up and sure enough, he has or at least had a mansion in that area. And I say had because I know it was up for sale at some point. But he obviously hangs out around this.
Speaker 4: Neck of the woods.
Speaker 6: And you know, it's funny to think of, like, how many Carlos Santana fans would have just like put that, like on their bucket list of one of the most profound moments of their lives. To run into this guy, and we just had a pleasant exchange as we were walking past each other in and out of a restaurant. Know, it's just one of the fun little things about living here in Vegas. I ran into Weiman from Jackass a while back, but I knew who he was, of course, so I got a picture with him. I don't usually go up to celebrities and talk to them, but come on, wei Man, All right, back to the movie stuff. What is going on here? How do we explain the fact that the Dark Side of the Moon somehow seems to so perfectly sync up with.
Speaker 4: The Wizard of Oz. Well, look, I think.
Speaker 6: The only way we might be able to explain this is by accepting that there is some kind of grand design behind the pace of reality, which is why certain world events tend to mimic each other over time. You see dramas play out, wars and periods of peace and all that. They go through cycles, and you can almost take one part of history and overlap it with another part of history, and you can see the pendulum swinging back and forth. But it's easier, perhaps to see how spec it can get when you look at how certain people resonate with each other. Of course, the most famous example of this, I've talked about it before is the list of coincidences between Abraham Lincoln and John F.
Speaker 4: Kennedy.
Speaker 6: For example, Lincoln had a secretary named Kennedy who told him not to go to forge theater. Kennedy had a secretary named Lincoln who warned him not to go to Dallas. Both let's see here, Booth the guy who killed Lincoln. Booth ran from a theater and was caught in a warehouse. Oswald ran from a warehouse and was caught in a theater. Both presidents were elected to Congress in forty six and later to the presidency in sixty. Both assassins, John Wilkes Booth and Lee Harvey Oswald were born in thirty nine and known by their three names composed of fifteen letters. I mean, this kind of stuff goes on and on. It's just crazy. It's truly inexplicable. Even if some of it is exaggerated, there is enough of it that you cannot deny this residence, and you find that in the same way that people resonate with each other. I think artistic projects too. You know, I've also talked about I think Lauren Coleman was the first person who really pointed out this thing.
Speaker 4: He called the name game.
Speaker 6: How that okay? You take, for example, George Reeves, the first guy who played Superman on TV. His life ended tragically. He supposedly committed suicide.
Speaker 4: He might have been murdered. And then you have.
Speaker 6: The first guy who really became famous for playing Superman on on the big screen, Christopher Reeve. And look what happened to him. He ended up paralyzed after a horse riding accident. So there's George Reeve and Christopher Reeves, or George Reeves and Christopher Reeve, no relation, bad things happened to them. And then Keanu Reeve he had tragedy in his life life where very close loved ones died in a car accident.
Speaker 4: I recall.
Speaker 6: There seems to be residences between people that are sometimes represented by names. People asked me all the time if I'm related to Ed and Lorraine Warren, and of course I am not, but it's I can understand why people think that. In fact, I remember when I was like a kid in middle school or high school, coming across some ghost book and it mentioned Ed Lorraine Warren and that was the only time I'd ever even heard of them, And then all these years later they became really famous, at least from what I can tell, famous to me when the conjuring stuff started. But I've actually had people accused me of calling myself Warren to ride on their coattails. It's like, no, there's no relation there. I actually did get to meet Lorraine Warren, and there's actually a picture of the two of us together on my Instagram page, which I believe is Joshua P. Warren podcasts on Instagram and very nice. Lady Ed was dead by that time, but no relationship, and then being still sticking with the name game Warren zevon one of my favorite singers. He sung about spooky things like Werewolves of London and Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner, and so I kind of feel like that, in the same way that events can resonate with each other and people can resonate with each other, works of art can also resonate with each other, and it doesn't have to be intentional at all, as a matter of fact, it pretty much is not intentional at all. It just so happens to work out that way. So I have no doubt that when these guys were making Dark Side of the Moon they had no intention of it somehow synchronizing with the Wizard of Oz, and yet the fact that it did is even further evidence to me of this great grand cosmic design between all things in life, and especially how that that can pop up and you become much more aware of it when you're looking at people expressing themselves artistically, and even though those two have very little to do with each other artistically, when you see them put together, well, they actually do have something quite common there that was unintentional. In fact, I'll tell you something else that's kind of interesting about movies. People have told me for a lot of my life that they think I have a bit of like an Orson Wells energy around me, because of course he got famous in radio doing his War of the World's stunt about aliens invading, and then later on, of course he was a multimedia man. He was a great storyteller. He was always writing and making movies. And that's kind of funny because I was looking at some of his work recently, and of course his masterpiece was Citizen King. And it just so happened to tie in with something that I've been bringing into my house lately as part of Maya and Laurens redecorating. It has to do with the classic horror movie The Creature from the Black Lagoon. There's kind of an odd story about how that movie came to be, and when we come back, well, I'm going to share it with you. I kind of tend to think if I find something interesting, then well you might find it interesting as well. And we're sticking with the movie themes and I don't know a bit of synchronicity and how things kind of come together in unexpected ways. I'm Joshua P. Warren, and you're listening to strange things on the iHeartRadio and Coast to Coast AM Paranormal podcast Network, and I will be back after these important messages.
Speaker 4: Don't go anywhere.
Speaker 1: There's more strange things coming right up.
Speaker 7: Hey, folks, we need your music. Hey, it's producer Tom at Coast to Coast AM and every first Sunday of the month, we play music from emerging artists just like you. If you're a musician or a singer and have recorded music you'd like to submit. It's very easy. Just go to Coast tocoastam dot com. Click the Emerging Artists banner in the carousel, follow the instructions, and we just might play your music on the air. Go now to Coast tocoastam dot com to send us your recording. That's Coast to Coast AM.
Speaker 5: Now back to the Wizard of Weird on the iHeartRadio and Coast to Coast AM Paranormal Podcast Network.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to Strange Things.
Speaker 6: On the iHeartRadio and Coast to Coast AM Paranormal Podcast Network.
Speaker 4: I'm your host, Joshua P.
Speaker 6: Warren, and this is the show where the unusual becomes usual. I am a great lover of art, so as my wife and so as we are decorating our house. We've only owned this house here in Vegas a couple of years, so there's a lot that goes into getting a house up and running, and so we're just now really getting more into the decorating part. I enjoy purchasing metaphysical tools that are very functional and can be used in my practices, my meditations, my rituals.
Speaker 4: And all that stuff.
Speaker 6: But when not in use, also look great as a work of art, just sitting on a shelf or an altar or hanging on a wall. I'm always looking for that combo. I think the two go hand in hand, a sort of synergy there. And of course, last year, as you may or may not recall, I discovered this fantastic artisan here in the United States.
Speaker 4: Who makes jewelry.
Speaker 6: He smelts the metals by hand, and I worked with him to create the electroum ring, which contains gold and silver, and everybody loves the electrom ring. But we just did that for a limited period of time. And I went back to him a few months ago and I said, you know what, I'm sure this would not be cheap, but would you be willing just for me to make an electroum wand and he goes, wow, I've never tried that, And I said, well, I will pay you handsomely, and we discussed how it should look at everything, and sure enough, you can imagine it's that kid on Christmas morning Phenomenon. The day it arrived, I was grinning from ear to ear. He made me this wand I was the only person in the world, okay, to have this from a custom original mold eight and a half inches long that's twenty one point fifty nine centimeters made of bronze, with an electrum tip that's fifty fifty gold and silver. This thing feels heavy and solid in the hand. You got to see a picture of this thing. Okay, this is the Roll's Rooice of Wands, and I haven't told anybody about it, and I've been using it and all I do to manifest with it as I go out and I point it at the sky and I say out loud what I want and then I say.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 6: That's all I have to do with this wand And when I'm not using it, it sits on this in this beautiful stand, on this altar, and I mean.
Speaker 4: It, just it again.
Speaker 6: It makes it gives you cold chills when you think about what it can do. You've got to see a picture of this thing. And I was going to just keep it all to myself and be like my precious and then I would mention it sometimes on the podcast. But you know what I get fun out of allowing you to experiment with the things that I'm experimenting with, so we can all compare notes. So I asked him if he would be willing to make some of these electroum.
Speaker 4: Wands for you, if you.
Speaker 6: Are like me and I'm talking to the exact same one that I've got, And he said that he would do that. So right now as I record this, he is taking requests. There's no guarantee, but if you are interested in getting an electroum wand he also said that he'll for the time being, he will also make more electron rings and as a matter of fact, to even make a thicker version. Some people have emailed saying, I love my electron ring. Is there is it possible to get a thicker one? So I said great. So I don't know how long this is going to last, but go to electroumshop dot com E L E C t R U M electroumshop dot com. Even if you don't intend to buy anything, just like watch the videos and like look at the pictures and look at this wand it is breathtaking. And that's why you can see like I like stuff like that because when I'm not using it, it's a work of art. But what's even odd, even more odd about all this is that like Lauren and I have decided in our living room, for example, which of course we have a big theater there, because you know, that's not kind of the center of life in this day and age you have to have a big.
Speaker 4: Theater around your living room.
Speaker 6: We are going for kind of like a teeky slash ufo, alien slash oddity kind of theme. Yeah, I'm telling you, I could sell tickets to my house. They would cost a lot, but I could do that and people would buy them. But so we have I don't want to go into all this detail about exactly how it looks. Maybe at some point I'll put some pictures up for you on my Instagram page or whatever. But one of the things that kind of captures the feeling we're going for is stuff related to the movie The Creature. Actually it's just called Creature from the Black Lagoon nineteen fifty four released by Universal Studios. Everybody knows this movie, and so we have, you know, like some vintage posters and some stuff signed by Riku Browning, the guy who played Creature in the water, like the underwater scenes. And what's funny is that as I've been buying all this Creature stuff, I've got two autograph Creature things, and I have a creature statue, and like, as I've been buying this creature stuff, I was looking back into how that movie was made. And it turns out that going back to Orson Wells Well in nineteen forty one, during the filming of Citizen Kme, the crew had a dinner party and one of these producers named William A. Land or William alland he came to this dinner party. So here he is sitting there having dinner. Sure, he's probably I can just imagine, it's nineteen forty one. They're smoking their cigarettes, They've had a couple of cocktails or whatever. He's sitting there and he starts up this conversation at the dinner table with this Mexican cinematographer named Gabrielle Fugera. And as they are having their dinner talk, the cinematographer starts telling this producer about this myth of a race of half fish, half human creatures in the Amazon River. And this immediately piques the interest of this producer, William Aloud, and so he starts taking some notes and he starts thinking about this, and he dwells on this idea for ten years, and then ten years later, I don't know he felt the time was right, and he went out and he's found some professional writers to expand this thing, and they turned it into this treatment for a movie called The Black Lagoon, and then you know, it picked up steam and they ended up making this movie Creature from the Black Lagoon. And so so who would think the Creature from the Black Lagoon came from a dinner party at Citizen At the making of Citizen case just weird. But you know, there were two actors who played Creature and one played him on Land and the other was the guy who played in the underwater scenes. The guy who played him on Land was named Ben Chapman and they called Creature gil Man. And those scenes were shot at Universal City in California, and they say this costume was just, oh, it was just miserable to be inside this thing that once they put this actor inside of it, that he was unable. The way it was made, he could not sit down for fourteen hours each day, and this thing overheated easily. So they had a backlot.
Speaker 4: Lake, you know that they made there.
Speaker 6: And if he was frequently saying like please hose me down, hose me down, stay, take him out, the hose him down. And sometimes they would just put him in the water and let him float around for a while to cool off. He could not see very well while he was wearing the head piece. There's, of course, there's this damsel in distress in this movie, played by Julie Adams, and they said that sometimes because he couldn't see well, he'd be like carrying her and he would accidentally scrape her head against these rocky grotto walls.
Speaker 4: I mean that's rough stuff, man. You know.
Speaker 6: Actors would not put up with that nowadays. I don't think they would say, you give me a foam rock here, But no, they're scraping this woman's head on the wall of this cave or whatever because the guy can't see. And then when they decided to do the underwater shots, they went to Florida, well Cool of Springs, Florida, and that's when they brought in Recoop Browning, who played all the underwater stuff. He's the man that everybody really knows best, because everybody knows those underwater scenes best. And they said, this guy, Recoop Browning, he could hold his breath for up to four minutes at a time. He said, quote, if you're not doing anything at all four minutes as possible. But if you're moving in the water, well you know it's not. If you're swimming fast or fighting, you use up a lot of oxygen and it cuts it down.
Speaker 4: To at the most two minutes. End quote.
Speaker 6: Wow, talk about a fit guy. As a matter of fact, Recoop Browning, he lived to be an old man. Let's see, he died. He died last year and he was nicey three years old, and so I have two pieces signed by him, the guy who was playing the creature down there under the water. Isn't that Isn't that interesting though? To think about how these movies came to be and how they used to make them versus now with all the CGI you watch a movie, it's almost like just watching a big cartoon. Well, you know, I I've had some work in movies myself, and I even got the honor of working for three days with Robin Williams on the movie Patch Adams. As a matter of fact, I was a featured extra. But I'm just I'm even on camera in a scene with him and talking about laughing our heads off for three days. He was a funny, funny man. There's no doubt about it. And a super nice guy.
Speaker 4: But you know, when we.
Speaker 6: Come back from this break, I want to talk about something that I've been putting off for a while because I have a friend who was He was almost maybe just as funny as Robin Williams when you hung out with him.
Speaker 4: I'm not I'm not.
Speaker 6: Even I'm not exaggerating. His name was Scott Grewenwald. He was famous, he was on TV and he passed away last year. And I was thinking about him the other day. And because we start on a TV show together, and when we come back, I want to tell you a little bit about Scott Grewenwald and synchronicity. I'm Joshua Pee Warren. You're listening to Strange Things on the iHeartRadio and Coast to Coast AM Paranormal Podcast Network, and I will be right back.
Speaker 3: Hang in there. Josh is coming right back on the iHeartRadio and Coast to Coast AM Paranormal Podcast Network. Every eight minutes. The American Red Cross brings help and hope to people in need. Thanks to the support of everyday heroes like you, the Red Cross is able to respond to disasters big and small. Support military families help ensure that blood is available when needed and teach life saving skills like CPR and first aid. Be a hero donate today, visit Redcross dot org or call one eight hundred red Cross and now more. Joshua P. Warren on the iHeartRadio and Coast to Coast AM Paranormal Podcast Network.
Speaker 6: Welcome back to the final segment of this edition of Strange Things on the iHeartRadio and Coast to Coast AM Paranormal Podcast Network.
Speaker 4: I am your host, Joshua P. A.
Speaker 6: Warren, And over the years, I have done a lot of television work. I mean, if you name a major channel, I've probably been on a you know, History, Discovery, Travel, Animal Planet, TLC.
Speaker 4: I mean, I mean I did that.
Speaker 6: A lot, and I don't do it so much anymore because it's very time consuming, and you know, I've just moved on to other types of projects. I turned down TV offers all the time. But back in twenty twelve, I was right in the thick of it, and I was a cast member on a show on the Travel Channel for a whole season called Paranormal p Operazzi. And by the way, when you're doing TV and you have a crew out there on a paranormal show and they're trying to capture something paranormal right then and there, there's a lot of pressure, and sure enough, I would bring portable wishing machines out to the set and in the field sometimes to see if I could help increase the chances of something happening. In fact, doctor Mulder created a special machine just for that purpose called the Model Filled X, and for a while he stopped making it, but he contacted me today and he said, you know what, I've redesigned the internal stuff here and he goes, I'm going to make another batch of the Model Filled X. You can travel with it, take it out into the field. If you're a researcher and you want to try to create more activity, whether it's ghosts or UFOs or cryptid sidings or whatever. So if you're interested in that, just go to Wishingmachine project dot com and on the right the right side there at the lower end of the page it need something portable, and that's where you'll find the link to the Field X Wishingmachine project dot com. But I actually did use the wishing machine in the field when I was doing this show Paranormal Paparazzi, because the idea was that I was one of a handful of reporters and we went out. We traveled all over the country filming stories about people having paranormal encounters. And then we would all get together at the main office in our studio was in New York City in Manhattan, I mean right there, within walking distance of Times Square, and we would bring back our reports so we would all sit there and discuss them together.
Speaker 4: And so it was a.
Speaker 6: Very it was a very time consuming and elaborate project, because I mean you're talking about half the time you're out in the field in the middle of nowhere, just you and your producer, out in the jungle or the desert, the you never know where you're going to be. And then after that you go back to New York and spend a few weeks there filming stuff in the studio. And I didn't like living in New York. It felt too claustrophobic to me. I need more space than that. No matter where you.
Speaker 4: Are, there's always somebody else right there.
Speaker 6: But during my time in New York, that is when I became friends with Scott Gruenwald. I'd never met him before, he was a cast member on the show. I ended up spending more time with him than any other cast member. I saw him almost every day, and like I say, the guy was absolutely hilarious. He had short gray hair, he had a gray beard. He had these twinkling dark eyes, and just laugh lines all over his face because he was just constantly cracking jokes and laughing. He was sharp as attack, and he always smelled like smoke because he smoked as much as possible. As a matter of fact, there were times where we'd be filming and we'd be like, I don't know, maybe on the tenth floor or twelfth floor of a building, and we would have a five minute break, and he would rush down as fast as he could and go outside and just inhal a cigarette and rush back up and sometimes just run up the flights of stairs. I don't know how he did it. He didn't drink, he'd had problems with that in the past. But he's definitely smoked. And he ended up dying last year of a stroke at the age of sixty. And the last time I saw him, he had his stroke a few years before he died, and then he had another stroke and then he died. But I saw him between strokes and we were at an event in Chicago and he was outside smoking a cigarette and I said, Scott, didn't you have a stroke recently?
Speaker 4: And he said yep.
Speaker 6: I said, why are you still smoking cigarettes?
Speaker 4: He goes, oh, they told me it was it was the energy drinks.
Speaker 6: And I go, okay, And look, I'm not one of these people who blame somebody for their own death. And that's I think that's a sad phenomenon. It's like anytime somebody dies, all these people are like, oh, well, they they they smoked or they drank, or they ate too much, or they didn't exercise enough, or they didn't go to the doctor enough or I mean, there's just like there's always you know, they took they didn't take the right medicine. There's this tendency to blame people for their own deaths in this culture, and I don't I don't agree with that. But anyway, so he had a stroke and that's what finally did him. In the boy I tell you why. It was so fun hanging out with that guy. He was so funny and he would run around do naked ghost hunting, yeah, anything to get a laugh. You may have seen him on Ghost Adventures. He was on Ghost adventures with Zach and the guys. But here's here's what I want to tell you about him. Aside from the fact that he was just from what I could tell, just a really great person and a lot of fun and just a positive force of energy, he also had this open mind that would allow him to have a lot of synchronicities and interesting things happened to him. And you know, I would go out and when we were shooting that after we were done, I'd go out at night and I'd hang out and party in New York until late, and then I'd sleep as late as I could. He would wake up at like four o'clock in the morning, and if I saw him at you know, nine o'clock in the morning, he already had like a big story to tell me about all the stuff he'd been.
Speaker 4: Doing early that morning.
Speaker 6: So one morning we got together, because sometimes we wouldn't actually start filming.
Speaker 4: Until later in the afternoon. It just depended.
Speaker 6: But anyway, so one day we got together and he comes up and he goes, man, you're not gonna believe what happened to me today. So he would just go out and just roam Manhattan just to see what would happen to him. And while we were there filming, at one point, the NFL Draft was in town, was in New York, and he didn't even know it. But at some point he's just going in and out of buildings and he walks into some big, fancy building and there's a big crowd there and there's a lot of press there, and so he's automatically interested. And as he's kind of like standing around, somebody says to him, are you here for the draft pick? And he said, uh yeah. They said, okay, here's your tag, and they gave him a name tag.
Speaker 4: Now, this is just the kind of stuff.
Speaker 6: That he would pull, right because he had nothing to do with the NFL draft. The draft is where you pick the players who are gonna make it. Usually these are college kids who are suddenly going to become professional football players, and it's like you're instantly rich. And so he said that they after he had this name tag, that he walked into this banquet room and he said it was just like, oh my gosh, anything. It was the King's chamber. They had every type of food open bar. Of course, again he didn't drink, but just like he was pigging out though and they're eating all the food and everybody's just excited and tense. And he said it finally it came draft picked time, and he walked into this room and here are all these college kids sitting there, and they have their families there and there, and everybody's just praying to God that their kid, their son gets picked, you know. And he said that every time a guy would get picked, a kid would get picked, that like it was like somebody was hitting the lottery in front of you, and the whole family would just absolutely explode and jump up and down and just cry in a hug and sing.
Speaker 4: He said it was like.
Speaker 6: All day, one after one after one, watching people hit the lotto, their dreams coming true. He said it was the most profound thing to witness something like that one after the other, hour after hour, and it really just sort of it made him feel fantastic, and that whenever he was feeling down, that was a memory that he would reflect on, something that I call like your go to memory. And my book used the forest. That was his go to memory. And for some reason, whenever I think of Scott and I do I miss him, and I know a lot of people do.
Speaker 4: He was brilliant. He was hilarious, and it's sad that he's gone.
Speaker 6: But when I think of him, I like to think of that that day he spent watching all these dreams come true, where he was just bathed and nothing but waves of radiant happiness, and that I think stuck with him, I'm sure till the very end. So Scott Grunwald, my friend, you were a great guy, And thank you for all that you did and contributed, and thank you for all of the lefts and the fun and the kindness. And I know, sir, that you are now resting in peace. But if you ever come back as a ghost, at least to visit me, please keep your pants on. I'm not into the naked ghost encounter thing. All right, my friends, time to end the show with a good fortune tone. Take a deep breath.
Speaker 4: Here it is.
Speaker 6: That's it for this edition of the show. Follow me on Twitter at Joshua P. Warren, Plus visit joshuapwarren dot com to sign up for my free e newsletter to receive a free instant gift, and check out the cool stuff in the Curiosity Shop all at Joshuapwarren dot com. I have a fun one lined up for you next time, I promise. So please tell all your friends to subscribe to this show and to always remember the Golden Rule. Thank you for listening, thank you for your interest and support, Thank you for staying curious, and I will talk to you again soon. You've been listening to Strange Things on the iHeartRadio and Coast to Coast AM Paranormal Podcast Network.
Speaker 1: Thanks listening to the iHeartRadio and Coast to Coast Day and Paranormal Podcast Network. Make sure and check out all our shows on the iHeartRadio app or by going to iHeartRadio dot com