Speaker 1: Welcome to the Second Date Podcast. Thank you so much for being here, just letting you know that you get a little special treat today because.
Speaker 2: Usually we're Monday, Wednesday, Friday for this podcast, but today we got an update update, which means one of our couples that actually went out called back in to give us an update on the relationship, which.
Speaker 1: We really did.
Speaker 3: I know, it's really fine.
Speaker 2: So we're gonna play the original second Date so you know what's going on, and then stick around for the end where we get to talk to them both.
Speaker 3: Dude, and it's great you get the immediate follow up. Imagine the people that heard this and had to wait months.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, So all right, here we go.
Speaker 3: Second Date Update.
Speaker 4: Nothing worse than coming off of a first date knowing that you made a mistake.
Speaker 1: Jose knows that feeling too well.
Speaker 3: You just brought up a bunch of memories from like last week. Yeah, man, I never should have ordered the King Crab. While I'm definitely allergic to shelfing, I think.
Speaker 2: But it's impressive when you do it because it means you're balling out.
Speaker 3: I just keep stabbing myself off in the neck with an epipenn every five minutes. I can get through this.
Speaker 2: The mouth counts as a first kiss turned on by one of our listeners wrote to the show saying he knows that he messed up, but he's hoping that his date didn't notice.
Speaker 3: The thing is, once I read what the mistake was, I mean, how could she not know? Welcome to the show. What were you thinking?
Speaker 5: Well, you know, I don't know what I was thinking. I thought, if I if I just kind of brought in a little like added level of elevation.
Speaker 1: That wait, real quick, real quick. What's her name?
Speaker 5: Casey?
Speaker 3: Okay, that you met? Start at the beginning, tell us what went wrong?
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, So we talked a little bit on on dating app and we're like, it's just paying at a local bar near my house.
Speaker 2: So it seems innocent enough, easy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And I thought it might be a good idea to talk in a light British accent for a little bit. Do you always hear the concept that men with accents or sexiar And you.
Speaker 2: Know, couldn't she see on your dating bio that you weren't British?
Speaker 1: I guess they would if I mean, if I had European.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I was British and I was on dating apps, it would be the first thing I would, you know, swipe right of.
Speaker 1: You around London.
Speaker 3: To be fair, I don't think that you need to be British to use a British accent. I don't think women would care if you do a good enough one.
Speaker 1: It could be pretty bad.
Speaker 2: Talk to Britney Spears about how well that works out for her.
Speaker 3: Maybe he has a great British accent. Can we get a sample of it?
Speaker 5: Well, I quite fondly, pawn, that's.
Speaker 3: Just all right.
Speaker 1: You really did it on the date, like from the very start.
Speaker 5: Well, I was a lot more locked in the day of the date. I was practicing all day, even when I was like going to like the gas station earlier, I was trying to be in character to make sure I had it down.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we know why she's ghosting you.
Speaker 2: What was her response when she first heard you talk like.
Speaker 5: That, Well, she asked if I was from there, and I said I lived over there, just for a couple of months, like studying abroad. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wait, is that his lie or is that really true that you lived over there?
Speaker 3: It was a lie, okay.
Speaker 5: But that's not the point. Okay, I wanted to sell the story.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you told her in a couple of months you developed an accent, that's right, and.
Speaker 3: Then moved and forgot everything.
Speaker 5: Do you ever go to Canada and then next thing you know, you're saying a after.
Speaker 1: Everything, it's not the same.
Speaker 4: Met you a very impressionable young man.
Speaker 1: That's okay to Casey by it. That's what I want to know.
Speaker 5: It felt like if she stuck around, she was into it. That's how I played it. So she was sticking around, we were still hanging.
Speaker 1: Okay, did you ever reveal your real voice?
Speaker 5: You know, about two drinks in, I started kind of letting it slip, my normal talking accent, but only in a few sentences here and there.
Speaker 4: You're like Mel Gibson in Braveheart, like a couple with an accent, a couple with an American accent.
Speaker 3: The place.
Speaker 5: Yeah, during like the course of an hour and a half, I probably went in and out of the accent half a dozen times. But some of the word could go either way. So I kind of thought, ash, maybe she didn't notice certain parts of it.
Speaker 2: I don't understand what's the long play on this, because if you actually like this girl and you.
Speaker 1: Want to go out with her again.
Speaker 2: You can't continue this your entire relationship.
Speaker 5: Well, I figured I could slowly water it down until it was back to my normal accent, because the thought being I had been back in town long enough.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're reacclimating back into the American accident.
Speaker 4: Start wearing like cutoff shirts and like get really American, w.
Speaker 3: Southern accent, spitt and chew.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: Okay, so how did you two leave it?
Speaker 5: So we ended the day and it seemed fine, and then we just kind of went about our business.
Speaker 2: So are you prepared to tell the truth when we call her next or are you wanting to keep up this farce?
Speaker 5: I don't know what do you guys think? Bro?
Speaker 1: I think you have to use Look, this is a joke from the first ten minutes.
Speaker 2: Then you tell her the way where show from the BBC and we all call with a British accent.
Speaker 1: You like it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, let's practice it right now? Oh K.
Speaker 2: Sometimes there's Australia has multiple networks, So we're really going to terrify this girl when we come back and scream at her in a bunch of different accents and try to get you a date.
Speaker 3: Make some tea.
Speaker 4: You're going to do it with your second date update right after this.
Speaker 3: Hold on that second date update.
Speaker 1: You're in the middle of a second date update update, and we're gonna find out how the couple is right after you here. Part two.
Speaker 4: This is the news intro from the actual BBC.
Speaker 3: I knew that, and.
Speaker 4: I I genuinely don't believe that we can actually pull this off. But it's actually more of a moral dilemma for us right now than it is for our listener, Mitch, who's asked us for a second date update because he faked a British accent during his first date to impress a girl.
Speaker 2: He half faked it, yeah, yeah, the American kept slipping out, so clearly.
Speaker 4: It didn't go very well for him, and that's why he's reached out to us for help. And now Brooke has suggested that we follow his lie and pretend to call the woman that he went out with, named Casey, pretending to be from the news desk at the BBC in London.
Speaker 1: That's right, Jeffrey.
Speaker 2: We're here in ron job right and on the job what do they call it there?
Speaker 1: Job sounds to American. Yeah, we're in the office, we're at the.
Speaker 5: Bathroom.
Speaker 4: I don't this might be a this might be a disaster. But I have thought long and hard about what to do here. And Mitch, are you still there?
Speaker 5: I am still there?
Speaker 3: Okay, So I think for better or for worse?
Speaker 1: Oh, you think we need to tell the truth.
Speaker 3: We should try the British accents for entertainment purposes. It's a pact that we're all making, and it together. We all go down together, us full along with all good buddy Mitch Mitchell. No not Mitch.
Speaker 2: Mitch's American Mitch is like a flat make that you've had since college.
Speaker 3: We need to stop with the accents.
Speaker 4: So we're gonna drive all of our listeners away on every continent.
Speaker 3: Mitch. We're willing to do this for you.
Speaker 4: We just have to be from some sort of British radio show and we're doing a segment called the Second Date shack off.
Speaker 5: This is awesome. Let's do it.
Speaker 1: Oh God, I don't know why. Jeffrey sounds like a mail Mary Poppins.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 3: Very formal. These Americans are their enthusiasm. I love it. Okay, let us give Casey a ring, shall we?
Speaker 5: Yes? Hello?
Speaker 3: Hello? Is is this an American woman named.
Speaker 5: Casey who's calling.
Speaker 3: Hello, Apologies for disrupting your day. I'm Jonathan Clark from BBC Radio four. You're on our morning talk show here in London. Oh Hello, Hello, I apologize. That's my co host. She is quite drunk this morning. I apologize. Casey. Are you there?
Speaker 5: Yes, there's some joke.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no joke. We've we've phoned you today because we're delving into the racous dating line of cheeky Americans.
Speaker 1: Those Americans you mean British men.
Speaker 3: No, no, Americans. Quite a few Irish coffees this month's So your name was actually given to us by one of our listeners, a former local bloke named Mitchell.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, the two of you had a bit of a snog and a bob the other night at an American tavern. I'm not sure what that means, but we had a date the other night.
Speaker 3: Yes, So our jobs this morning is we would like to pry if you don't mind, and ask you a bit about how it went.
Speaker 5: Okay, hold on, So Mitch talked to you all the way, that's right. Where are you?
Speaker 3: Yes, Mitch, Mitch spoke to us earlier. He said you two had a wicked good time may have got a bit knockered at the bar, and we all want to know is it factual or just a load of rubbish? She said it was quite lovely.
Speaker 1: Though quite lovely, Well, she was quite lovely stature you can.
Speaker 3: We're trying to speak to our new American friend, Casey over it. I love Americans, Casey, I do apologize.
Speaker 1: No, British people love Americans.
Speaker 3: Your opinion, Casey, how did it go?
Speaker 5: This is so weird.
Speaker 3: I know this calls a bit random, but when you were doing this a huge service if you could just speak to us for a tiny bit.
Speaker 5: Well, I don't know what exactly you guys are looking for, but I mean it was fine, Okay.
Speaker 3: Well, at any point during the day was he acting a bit dodgy?
Speaker 5: Well, there was a point towards the beginning of the day that I was a little taken aback because I didn't know he had a British accent.
Speaker 3: I must have been a pleasant surprise to you then.
Speaker 5: Well, to be honest, I wasn't really sure he was telling the truth.
Speaker 6: But it's all starting to make sense now, I guess because I'm talking to you all.
Speaker 3: No, it's true, You're never allowed to lie on British radio, that is one of the rules.
Speaker 1: But on American radio they lie all the time.
Speaker 2: Just lie, lie, Lie, Lie lie, and maybe sometimes they should come clean.
Speaker 3: Okay, look, Casey, I understand sometimes first dates can be a bit tricky.
Speaker 5: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You're trying to impress someone that you're meeting for the first time. So perhaps this was a situation going on with young Mitchell. How is he better in British? The language just flows out to me. Here's the situation. The way that this segment works is we have the person that you went on a date with sitting on the other line, listening in on the conversation. Yeah, and at the start of this call, we were not fully honest with you, so I do apologize for that. But he is there waiting to speak his piece. Mitchell, are you there?
Speaker 5: Hello?
Speaker 3: Oh? There he is, Night in Shining Ala, Mitch.
Speaker 5: Is that you is? It's me again? And this is super strange. I mean, I'm not sure why you had to call England to.
Speaker 1: Well for second day.
Speaker 3: He's a friend of our shows.
Speaker 5: I'm very familiar with them, and my time there I spent listening to the melot and grew quite fond of them. I mean, okay, I guess that makes sense. You a lot of trouble for me, so that's kind of cool. Yeah, well you were. I think of you as a quite proper fit bird, so I wanted to.
Speaker 2: Do whatever trou But remember, Mitch, this may be very hard to keep up, if you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Mitchell never shies away from a challenge.
Speaker 5: So do you no, I do not.
Speaker 1: Well, bloody hell.
Speaker 3: I believe that what my drunken co host is referring to over there is it's quite difficult to go out in the modern world because of the prices of everything. Inflation has made paying for things just absolutely preposterous. And we're going to take care of all the finances and offer to pay for your next meetup with Mitchell, maybe some fish and chips and some mushy peas. Now you're making me hunger.
Speaker 5: I'd love to cut your film with you as well. That's something I know we both share in common.
Speaker 3: Trip to the cinema.
Speaker 5: Why did you just sound like an American there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have American roots issue.
Speaker 5: What's the telly that we're going over?
Speaker 3: And telephones?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 3: Unfortunately I am staring out the window, and I do see Big Ben off in the distance, and we are running out of time. The segment is nearly at a close case. We need an answer from you, definitively yes or no. Would you like to go out with Mitch once more?
Speaker 6: But I don't know why everybody's laughing, and I feel like I could be.
Speaker 5: Missing the joke here. Yeah, I'd like to try it again. It's going to be a quite proper fine night and we're going to have an incredible evening together again. No guy has ever got in such trouble to try to get me to go out on a second date with this, so I'm impressed. Anything for a special lady like yourself.
Speaker 3: All right? Which one you piped down for just a bit? It's another successful second date. Snogolf's here on BBC Radio for stay tuned as we recap all of the Beatles' greatest hits. They're going out of soil here Inndy. It's brooking Jeffrey. Oh no, it's a Jonathan Clark.
Speaker 2: This is not good brooking Jeffrey in the morning.
Speaker 3: There's proof that we could do a successful radio show in England if we wanted to. BBC you have our number. But now it's time for us to get an update on Mitch and Casey's situation. And unfortunately Casey couldn't be with us on the call today. It's just going to be Mitch, Mitch, what's going on?
Speaker 5: Hey, guys, how's it going?
Speaker 3: What's going on there in Casey?
Speaker 6: So we are unfortunately not together anymore.
Speaker 1: What I I have to know? Did you ever come clean?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 6: I was able to keep it up for a pretty good amount of time, I'll be honest, really, but unfortunately I just was not able to keep it up.
Speaker 5: Honestly.
Speaker 6: The election really screwed everything up.
Speaker 3: The election.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because as soon as the election here kind of finished, she starts asking me all these questions about British politics.
Speaker 2: Oh no, oh, no, you know nothing.
Speaker 3: What did you say?
Speaker 6: I told her it's really all about what the queen, What Queen Elizabeth wants to do?
Speaker 3: A Queen Elizabeth runs the show?
Speaker 6: Yeah, and unfortunately she is dead.
Speaker 1: Yeah you didn't know.
Speaker 3: That for a while.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did you just finally tell her? I'm sorry, I've been lying to you.
Speaker 6: At a certain point, we did finally get to it. I got to break from my fake accent and kind of mention, here's actually what's going on, and I tried to wrap it up. Could you even imagine a man trying so hard to keep you happy?
Speaker 3: And she wasn't impressed by that? Yeah, that's yeah.
Speaker 6: So it's just me, guys. So if you know anyone that's attracted to British men, you let them know.
Speaker 3: No, no, yeah, she got to be an Australian guy. Next time they'll be able to hold on longer. I'm sorry you aren't together, but keep us update. If you need more help with your dating life, you can always reach out.
Speaker 6: Okay, all right, thanks guys.
Speaker 1: Only American you can reach out
Speaker 5: In the morning.