Speaker 1: Still the Place with Laura Layton, Courtney Thorn Smith and.
Speaker 2: Daphne's Aniga an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 3: Hi guys, Hi, hie you too, that's funny to see you.
Speaker 1: Oh guy.
Speaker 2: Your natural habitat Well, I'm visiting on the East coast now, as you know, the next couple are going to be East Coasters, so this is not my natural habitat, but it's a friend's habitat and who's very nice sighting.
Speaker 3: It's incredible.
Speaker 2: I went sailing yesterday and it's just beautiful to see all the green and it's warm.
Speaker 3: It's been. The wedding of.
Speaker 2: My stepdaughter was this last weekend, which was amazing, so nice. Her father, you know, they usually walked down the aisle.
Speaker 3: My husband brought her in on.
Speaker 2: A boat, a little whaler, to a floating raft where the minister was with her groom and everyone. The rest of us were on the dock. It was so because it was on island, it was amazing.
Speaker 3: So cool, so cool.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's magical.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I texted Laura, I was like, where where are you? We're having a pickleball tournament like the day before you should be here.
Speaker 3: Did you play dad?
Speaker 1: No, do you play pickleball, Laura, I do Oh my gosh, I don't cool.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't kind of play on.
Speaker 3: Well, I just I just play. She's so young and cool. It's just so fun. I am neither of those things. But I played pickleball with women of my similar age and we just have a blast.
Speaker 1: It is it fun.
Speaker 3: We claim to be good at it.
Speaker 1: We should do a show from the pickleball court.
Speaker 3: It's fun. I'll try not to be amiliating, but it's hilarious. We could so funny.
Speaker 2: I'm really a tennis fan, so I have a little bit of you haven't advantage of the Actually.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, probably hit it too hard, but you do at first and then you figure it out. But this week, I'm so excited about what we're doing. This week, not having a regular recap episode even believe it, we get to have Josie Bezet, a favorite cohort, as our guest yeat. She played Jane Mancini, sister of my character.
Speaker 2: We've been seeing her leading up all these episodes have had so much good, meaty stuff for her, and we've all like said, how wonderful le She's doing those scenes and I'm really excited to ask her how that's how that was. If she has memories about.
Speaker 1: That, you know, I bet she was another one who was there from the very very beginning. So I'm so curious to hear about her audition process and what that was like for her and her very beginning memories.
Speaker 3: Well, let's bring it in.
Speaker 1: Let's bring her in.
Speaker 3: Josie, Josie, Yes, Josey, come in, come in.
Speaker 1: We got youhind me gorgeous.
Speaker 3: Where are you, Josie? Where are you?
Speaker 4: Washington, Washington?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Are you camping or do you not have Wi Fi at home?
Speaker 3: Or are you off the grid?
Speaker 4: We are not off the grid, but we're up there. And as I was driving out, my brother's driving and my mom and dad were like, Josey, do you mind if we have a huge broach sale at your house? I'm like, what all still in my art?
Speaker 1: Perfect timing? Then you get out right before the mess?
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: Wow. Well, we've been talking about you so much. Yes, we have questioning for you. You know, we're just having so much fun doing this podcast, and we get to watch your face all the time and that is lovely. And then we've just been talking about you and looking forward to having you here so much.
Speaker 1: So many of the beginning episodes are you trying to get Michael's attention and we're all like has he not seen her?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: What is she blind? You know?
Speaker 1: Do you remember that?
Speaker 4: I vaguely remember. I mean it was so long ago, but I was a baby, Like I was a baby. Yeah, aren't you twenty one? I was twenty one? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Did you turn twenty one on the show or did you come in twenty one?
Speaker 4: No? I came in twenty one. My birthday is October. And then Rob and I got married on that Friday prior to the show starting. That's right on Monday. Yeoh, you plan a wedding way in advance, and so I didn't know I was going to get the show, and so you know, we didn't have a honeymoon and all that. But yeah, it was like, okay, we got married and then I'm off and I was in the first scene of the first day of work with Thomas like the show.
Speaker 3: You must have met, like you guys must have did you meet before coming to the.
Speaker 1: Sut you did an audition with him?
Speaker 4: I can't remember.
Speaker 1: Oh, I did not know what was your audition process?
Speaker 3: Like, do tell us.
Speaker 2: We've asking everyone you've been listening.
Speaker 3: I'm so curious.
Speaker 4: I know it's been great. Okay. So I was up for two other projects. One was a movie that I actually got and I it was to play Robert de Niro's daughter, and I can't even remember the name, but it was a small part, but it was like a big deal to play Roberto's daughter. And then it was another it was a Fox series that I got as well, but I think it wasn't picked up. And then I had those two like book like offers. So when I did Melrose, there was kind of like, oh, she's got these other two offers. And I remember I think I did my first interview and then I met Aaron and Duke I think too, and Duke that was it part then yeah, yeah, that's right, and then I got the job, like I got the job, and so then it was like it was kind of like one of those They probably thought, Oh, she's wanted these other places, so she's who knows, but you, like you guys have been saying Aaron knows what he's doing, and he was like, yeah, she's the one for Jane, And so I didn't read any further and Melrose was picked up I think for thirteen, remembering dirrectly and then the movie was like well who knows? And then the other one. So I'm so glad I picked Melrose, Like that was.
Speaker 2: So your audition you said you auditioned once and did you?
Speaker 3: Was that in front of Aaron.
Speaker 4: No, so it was the casting director, I think the very first first one. And then she brought me to Aaron and Duke.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I remember that office. We keep talking about the office and the cigars. Remember he was always smoking a cigar.
Speaker 4: I remember, well, I remember his house because when I we can talk about this later. But I did leave the show for that one year, and I went and talked to him about it before I told anyone else that I wanted to leave the show. He was amazing. He was amazing. I'll just tell you now. He was like so the sixth I think it was, yeah, the end of the fifth season. In my real life, I'd had a miscarriage, and I was really that point, like feeling really tired because poor Jane, like she went through so she was a door mat. I mean, she went through so much right, and I felt like, I, you know, I had to cry a lot and it was just and it was exhausting. It's exhausting to do that as a person right in an actress, and also so new at it, so I hadn't done it a lot. So there was the nerves and feeling getting comfortable in my own skin and all of that. Yeah, And so then I miscarried. I was really feeling like, okay, I was ready to start that part of my life and I was super bummed. And so I was like, I just need a break and I want to leave the show, but I didn't know how long the show would go in case I wanted to go back. So I went and made an appointment and went and talked to Aaron. I think it was that same room with those books or whatever, like you know, and he books or scripts, and he was just like, oh, Josie, you know, I understand, but I don't want to kill you because if you want to come back and want you to come back, and I was like okay, And so that's how it happened, and so I took that year off and then I was back on this last season.
Speaker 1: That's so sweet that he said bet you that he had that yeah, so that he didn't get that he didn't take it personally. He left the door open. I love them.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, And you're trying to have your own personal life and you had that totally know what you were going.
Speaker 4: For and really getting married, like I look at my own kids now, I'm like, oh my gosh. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So you came into the show you had just gotten married, but you'd also been so like previous to Melrose and all these other job offers you had, you'd been a model, you'd worked as a model, you'd done some other a couple of other things, and you were Were you on another show, Hogan's Family.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's right, The Hogan Family, And that was a sitcom with Jason Bateman Sandy Duncan, and I played the girlfriend of one of Jason's brother I think it was. And I was just like a recurring like, oh, I think I became No, I think I became a regular. Yeah, that was really fun. But I did that and then some TV movies started out young like you're right, Laura in working as a model in Seattle and then went to Japan. And then in Japan, my roommate was from Santa Monica. She was like you should come, you know, like come stay with me and see if you like it here, and you know, try to work. And I was like, okay, well I got to finish high school first because I had left high school. My teachers, I was, my mom, I asked anytime I asked my mom and dads, they were always like, well, if you can figure it out, you can do it. Like I wanted a pet monkey. If you can figure out how to get a monkey, you can have one.
Speaker 2: Did you get one?
Speaker 3: Did you do that?
Speaker 4: I called every pet store and watch and they weren't allowed. Yeah. I went to all my teachers. They gave me all my homework like let me you know, let me go, and then I came back. So I did my senior year this summer prior to my senior year. So I graduated year early and then went to LA started modeling and then starting commercials, which, as you know, it's like such a segue into into the world, like I would. I remember seeing people at commercials auditions like reading scripts and like, okay, well, you know. Then I had a boyfriend who had an agent, got me with his agent, and then I just got stuff. And I think I just got stuff because I didn't realize that. It's like a really hard business. I did no clue. It was like, well, I'll try that thing to do this had I known, like you know, like I just didn't know. But I feel like we also got lucky, like right place, right time, right, you know, like why why Melrose, why did that go? Versus all the other pilots that most of them don't go right right. There's just just all of that to be said in our journey, I think also as actors.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just lightning in a bottle and it's so so rare. And the other thing is you're talking about being tired at the end of the show. We've been talking a lot about We did thirty three episodes a year. Now they do eight or twelve. Yeah, insane. The workload we had, and we were young and we could do it, and I didn't have anything outside of it. But it was just like work, learn lines, go to sleep, get up, work out, and then you'd get home at like six or seven am on Saturday morning because you'd work all night, right, and then Saturday Sunday you'd wake up, learn your lines to go back to work at five or six on Monday.
Speaker 4: Yeah, to understand, I remember I heard you say one of them that we just did it. We were like, h no, now we didn't. I mean not remember complaining, although I do remember remember how hot it got out out there in Santa Clarita. Yes, yes, I remember like really being wanting to be done with that day and like wanted to get home for something or whatever. I remember, like Laura, you might remember super together most but like I would change the bottom half of.
Speaker 3: Me, because it would you always changed while they were setting.
Speaker 4: Up, while they were checking up for my close up, which was the last shot before I left. I would get already, turn on my air conditioning in the car, change my lower half. I can eat my top.
Speaker 3: And it's like you mean, like she had one foot out the door at the end of the day, always like she knew, like, Okay, the wide shot is done. They don't need to see the lower half of me. I'm putting on either my PJ pants or my ort or whatever. Like she was that much closer to getting out the door for the last shots that the camera had moved and tighter, and all they needed to see was that heart. And she did that all the time. She'd be in like either fuzzy slippers or big flip flops or something in your tennises and the like the top half of the dress.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well, and you often went home in your costume remer because I was good friends with Kathleen, our costumer, and I remember chose to work closed up. Now, you were such a pro. You always brought them back so she didn't have to worry. But it was like, all right, there goes like yeah gone, like a shot, like oh there goes your car, like you.
Speaker 4: Goe ye, oh my god, like jewelry, like that must have been stressful. Now I get like that's stressful for wardrobe, but I did always bring it back. Oh.
Speaker 1: They trusted you. She totally trusted you. But it was we're gone so fast.
Speaker 3: But yeah, you didn't want to take the time to take it off. So you're like, I'm just gonna wear I'll bring it back and they're like, okay, well, because it was so far.
Speaker 2: It was twenty six miles out there, so at least from where I lived in LA at the time.
Speaker 3: I think Santa Monica or.
Speaker 2: Something, but it was so far and you're just I totally understand.
Speaker 3: I've done that a lot.
Speaker 2: They're like, who wants to wait to sign out? Sign up for me, I'm out, you know.
Speaker 3: As opposed to waiting, signing out, undressing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Court, like you were saying, how I don't remember being I mean, remember it's doing the double ups and all that. But I think because we had such a large cast, I just felt like it was divvied out nicely and I never felt like crazy overworked, unless it was like a really intense episode that was just about Jana River, which was hardly ever, Like I feel like in the beginning, I didn't remember, but Court, you worked a ton, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in the beginning I did did. And then it was funny because they new people would come in and they go, are you jealous of new people? The more the merrier, because it's just got a little bit, especially for double ups, like let's have a cast of forty people for Double Edge, because I remember Laura one double up, you had like a really intense storyline going on, and you were going back and forth in Santa Clarita it's Ox Snart, Yeah, and you were just remember I may have told this, it was so funny. I remember you turning to me one day and saying, I've been here so long. I had to pluck my eyebrows again.
Speaker 4: So funny. That's a long stretch.
Speaker 2: Josie, did you ever show up the wrong location during Double ups? Somewhere you're supposed to be an OX star but you because that happened to me, I don't know if that happened to you.
Speaker 4: I have Yeah, I don't recall though, but so.
Speaker 1: Just a reminder of people who didn't hear it before Double Up. So we did so many episodes that twice a year, we had two crews and we were shoot two episodes at once for six episodes.
Speaker 3: So the actors were appearing in all the episodes, but there was this whole separate crew, so they could shoot two at the same time, right right from one. Ad Okay, you're getting cross the Blue, yeah on this set at this time, but yeah, you know you might have to be on the other crew at this time.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I remember the first time they did it and they were like, this will never work. It's ridiculous, and they were just doing it to sort of placate the network. And then it worked and we were like, oh no.
Speaker 3: It am and then we were doomed.
Speaker 1: Now we may we made a fortune, right, because you make six episodes worth in a month.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was nice, So that was good.
Speaker 2: I think that was spelling Aaron getting wanting to get to syndications sooner, which is the.
Speaker 3: Episodes or something, and then he gets a ton more.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, our reruns didn't do well because it was a serial. It's not like a sitcom where you watched the same episode. So they knew that when we had to rerun, the ratings dropped. So they wanted us to have so we had to keep up, right. We started, We started before other shows, some in the can, and then they wanted to have new episodes because our waitings just built and built and built when they had a new episode.
Speaker 2: I'm curious of going back to the early days how you felt playing Jane, if that felt or even later, like just your journey of playing that character. Was it fun for you? Was it she's very different from you? Was it taxing?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Like for you, I think that you know who I was then? Was I mean, I think it worked because I was. I mean, I was so new to it that I also felt like when I was acting, it's so it's so hard to watch yourself anyway, right, I felt like I was just saying lines like when I watch it because I was like, I really did like working with Thomas though, because you know, as like shitty as his character was, he he was fun to work with because he was so I don't know, spontaneous, even though we couldn't change lines, he was just he was easy for the most part, and so that made me feel comfortable. And but I in hindsight, you know, I would have maybe played a little bit of different note, but I did what I did because it was who I was at that point.
Speaker 1: And I understand what you're saying. It is hard to go back and watch and obviously you were looking at hindsight is twenty twenty. But what we keep talking about in watching your scenes is the vulnerability you brought to that character. Like I don't know what you're seeing, but what I'm honesty, Yes, the honesty. My heart just breaks with that character. So, yeah, you're seeing something different than what we are seeing. I think audiences, I'm so madd by you. You just keep bringing it back down to the sweetness.
Speaker 4: I think it's the only way for it to work, because if she wasn't, who would be with someone that kept doing that?
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: I think Jane always hoped for like a great marriage and had a vision of what it could be and what it should be and didn't really understand I guess the doctor's life maybe wasn't you know, wasn't understanding that he's not going to be home much. And I think we moved together to a new place and that was scary. And then of course when she gets pregnant. I did like that episode. I mean, that was a lot that was like kind of heart wrenching too, because I know how that feels now, like when I got pregnant, when I miscarried, even though it was only for a few weeks. Oh my gosh, it's amazing how you just like click that mode of this is what my life's going to be like, especially if you're wanting it. And so yeah, I liked that. It was it was a lot for her to go through, and it was just telling to see his reaction and what is she going to do with that knowing he doesn't want it and all of that.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like you had to make any all like change how you played her or how you thought about Jane when it went from the phase we're in now, which is everyone getting along and we're talking about how they felt as a group of friends and too when it became this serial of just this devious backstabbing and you know, cause you the character changed. I feel like everyone had to change. Did that was that weird for you or was that liberating?
Speaker 4: Or well they did try, I don't. I think it was season four where they kind of worked on giving her more of a backbone. I don't love playing bitchy characters. It's not I'm not. I don't feel like I'm very good at it and I and me myself, I'm just a super nice, kind person. I'm always That's just how I am. And of course it's easier to play I don't. I don't know anyone that plays a bit better than Heather, Like she is so good at it, like.
Speaker 3: And yet she's also not know, she's so super nice and honey.
Speaker 4: And I think there was enough that on the show that we didn't need to take me down that path. But important too, because that's how how characters and people evolved.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So do you remember like the time when the dynamic with Jane and Michael started to shift, Like do you remember that time? And like, was that was that a welcome shift in the storyline, Like, Oh, let's let's kind of stir it up and like, see, let's challenge this relationship because I think the first thing, and we're not quite there yet in our recaps, is the first thing they challenged the relationship with I was obviously the baby and they're they're like sort of differing points of view on it at that moment. But then yeah, also I think we're going to have the infidelity question come up, and that was the challenge is the relationship that starts to rock? Do you remember that shift? And like, yeah, what was that feeling?
Speaker 4: Like I think there was so much infidelity, right, Like didn't he change Jane all the time all the time?
Speaker 3: Yeah, eventually it just went I mean there was no way the words was yeah, the words couldn't betrayals, double up his affairs? Yeah, how do.
Speaker 2: You play a woman? Like you said, why would someone stay?
Speaker 3: But you had to play the woman who did?
Speaker 4: Did it?
Speaker 2: I mean, were you just like I'm just going to read these lines I would never still be here? Or did you have to do some mental kind of justification and I get it why she hasn't left them?
Speaker 4: Or you know, you went to acting school and all of that daff and I don't know, I I think I just play like the raw real what the script like, what's happening? It says this, he's doing this? How would I feel about that? And I just play that. I don't, I don't think. I think beyond it. Then the script I get and what she would be going through, what I would really be feeling, is all I knew I could do.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, yeah, well, and I think, you know, we all have to be reminded by watching the episodes, because none of us can actually remember. But when we get there, it's like she ultimately she didn't stay for like they did split up and it became just like this back and forth, like she can't really get rid of him in her life because an ex is sort of like always an X and it's always this baggage and whatever. And then also the introduction of Sydney, who's your sister, who then gets involved with your ex, and like it was messy forever. But and then so like that, I mean, when I think of my time on Milro's, I think of working with you, you and all the stuff we had together, because like we you know, we constantly had to be fighting or whatever. And yet I don't know what your recollection was about it, and I'd love to hear my recollection was just like you were my friend and we had a blast together and we laughed and stuff, but we always had to be mad at each other. So like, what do you have for about that time about like playing with that storyline and how that went on.
Speaker 4: It's so funny, Laura, because I feel the exact same way when I think about it. I have great thoughts even about Jane and Sidney, even though you're right we were always although we did Bury Richard together, so we were we were.
Speaker 2: Such a great say, well, you guys brought a great comedy to that stuff and other scenes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was one of my favorite storylines because we were together on it. Finally was so cute, right, and yeah that was sweet, But I do you know, memories are funny. We did have so much fun and we had some really good laughs where we couldn't stop laughing, which wasn't funny to peep, but other people are waiting, can you guys stop laughing? The scene She's gotta go, you had to.
Speaker 1: Write, I'm thinking, Okay, we have to bring her back for the Michael cheating left back for the bearing we have.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the grandma and ammonia sink. Yeah, that was the worst laugh I've had ever.
Speaker 3: Well, we had to take a whole crew break.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, So the lie the scene was that Grandma or Grandma passed away.
Speaker 3: She was very ill.
Speaker 4: She had pneumonia, right, And I was on the phone with with Graham. Yeah. I was on with my mom, our mom, my mom mom. So yeah, and she was like Graham and Graham's sick, YadA YadA, I'm hearing this. And I get off the phone and I'm like, look at Sydney. She's like, what's wrong. I'm like, Graham has ammonia and she was like, really, is it under the kitchen sink?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: We just couldn't stop laughing. And then you know, when you can't say the line again, then.
Speaker 3: You had to go and try to get it right. And there's no getting it right after that every single time, and the crew is so irritated.
Speaker 4: Yeah bad too, because the crew also has been there longer than everybody, and so we.
Speaker 3: Just want to tell them can we loop it?
Speaker 2: You're like, can we please just loop it?
Speaker 3: Just can't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So Laura ended up leaving for my close up and script supervisor record line.
Speaker 2: It is so funny. Yeah, that's a good, good solution.
Speaker 1: You had to be separated.
Speaker 3: That was maybe the worst, but there was I mean separated. That was the constant sort of expectation I think of us, Like the crew was like, oh no, this day, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so fun So yeah, I guess we did fight quite a bit, but yeah, that's not the I don't look back thinking that, you know.
Speaker 3: No, that was like we'd be normal and doing that and then like okay, now we need to fight on camera. And that was the hardest part is because like, wait a minute, I just have the giggles, like I.
Speaker 4: Don't I know. That wedding scene still is one of my favorite scenes where the pool we're fighting about the wedding dress the pool scene, and I think you guys touched on a little bit Laura that we had to do it in one take and oh my god, because the dress would have to be dried and we only had one dress and there's a camera in the pool waiting for us to go in. And if you watch the scene, you can see a little, tiny, iced, tiny smile on my face, Like if you look for.
Speaker 3: It, really you're gonna have people like slow motion. I'm freezing it. Now I'm gonna do that right because we'd fallen.
Speaker 4: It's like slow motion and I was just like, it's happened. Yeah, but anyway, it was awesome. It was a great scene.
Speaker 2: Those are such pressured moments when the whole crew is around and you know, the lights called, the cameras are set, everything's covered with plastic for the water.
Speaker 1: And yeah, everyone went to see sense what the big scenes would be like. It's almost like things didn't go viral then, obviously, but they knew. I remember the intensity, seeing the intensity around Marsha taking the wig off, the intensity Billy and Allison's first kiss, Like they knew and.
Speaker 4: You felt, right, that's crazy. Yeah, yeah, they knew. Yeah, that wig one was good, so good, so good.
Speaker 2: And I love that the three of us, you, Laura and me got to work together a few years ago. But wasn't it fun to get back together and do that Fantasy Island.
Speaker 4: It was amazing.
Speaker 3: For all these.
Speaker 4: Years, it was amazing. Yeah, yeah, remember that cat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're such a taker. Okay, such a rescuer.
Speaker 4: Think about that cat, I like should have kept it. I hope it's okay.
Speaker 1: So what happened? Tell the story?
Speaker 3: Okay, So We were shooting an episode of Fantasy Island, a Fox show, and they needed, you know, the gifts to come. We were three middle aged women having our what were we having a birthday fiftieth were celebrating our fiftieth together something, and so we got cast as three friends, you know, going to do this fiftieth thing on Fantasy Island. And and she's in Puerto Rico. So we were in Puerto Rico together. The three of us got to spend a couple of weeks in Puerto Rico, I mean, too bad for us. Yeah, And but one of the days we went, I went walking.
Speaker 2: Hiking, and I went hiking in the jungle. There's like one of the one of the few rainforests of the entire world is right there. So I went with our director hiking and to this watering hole and we're walking out and I hear just little miow And we turn around and there's this tiny little white cat with the the gray paws and tail and so vulnerable in this huge jungle.
Speaker 3: So it kept following us and we were just like, we can't leave it here. It won't survive.
Speaker 2: So we brought it back, brought it back the hotel, ran out and got supplies and food and was like, he can stand my room and try to get him home. And we were shooting and she's like my cat, the cats in there, and uh, and it would not to get him home.
Speaker 4: It would not come out by the end. I had it like up purring.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah it was.
Speaker 3: But it's leeping in your suitcase, right, didn't you like open up your suitcase and.
Speaker 2: With all but Josie weren't there there were rules about from Puerto Rico to it.
Speaker 4: Would have had yeah, exactly. So it was my stand and I think that was able to take it.
Speaker 3: But yeah, she took it. She showed us pictures too. But it's kind of like the monkey story because I think that you were like, if I can figure this out, I'm going to take this cat home. We did everything to try to figure it out. You made all those calls and I tried to figure it, and you ruled everything out until you decided it wasn't happen.
Speaker 2: You had Tom, you had your husband working on it, calling the government help that.
Speaker 4: We have a new one right now at our house. So Maya and Mason, these are my kids. Maya is twenty two and Mason's twenty five. They're both out of college now, so they're both home now. It's so weird, like they went and then how fast they go right and now they're back. It's like it never happened.
Speaker 3: Anyway, Hey, us life is lessie.
Speaker 4: She got a call she has two cats. So Tom turned me on the cats. There's always dogs, promt a cat. I'm like cats. I don't know about cats like, and then Maya got wanted to get him a cat for Christmas. On her way back, it was like in Portland or something to hour drive she fell in love with this cat. Cut to a couple of years. We're like cat people. Now she has three. I have three in Atlanta. And then anyway, so the other day she got a call from a friend was like she worked at Michael's Toyota in city of Bellevue if you know, Washington, and there was a prius and there was two kittens found in the front and back trunk. O the cutest of anyway, we've got one, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: What do you mean found in the trunk?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, I still don't know, like how how long was it there? Who heard it? Like? Did it all up under?
Speaker 2: But of course you and your family have one of them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I love cats. Now I have lots.
Speaker 2: Don't share you most of the time now because when we worked, you were in Atlanta, you were centered there.
Speaker 3: Are you back in Washington?
Speaker 4: I was trying to be I mean I was a little bit. I would say I'm more in Atlanta. I don't know, because I've been here for a month. And then I was just in I just shot a little movie here, which is why I'm here, and I've never filmed in my hometown, so that was weird. I kept thinking I was in Canada for the like while I was filming, you know what I mean, or somewhere because this looks I don't know, you guys, I just feel like I live out of a bag, to be honest. Yeah, because there's always something at one in the other. With the kids coming from college, I need to get room switched around to have them back. And then filmed here, and then I've got three step kids in Atlanta and of course my husband and they've got full lives.
Speaker 3: Wow busy. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it's full time there and then but right now after Melrose and then after Melrose, I did a show called The Secret Life of the American teenager. And I did that for five years, and I did that from Washington, and I would fly every other week to Bourbank.
Speaker 2: I remember you making the move to Washington.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 4: So Mason and Maya were one and three. I wanted to raise them here where I grew up, and I have such a big family and they're all here and all other cousins would school together, and yeah, I always knew that I'd want to raise them where, just in a different environment that was more family Warrington for me, since my.
Speaker 3: Fav we're very family based.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And you have you have an older sister, yeah, yeah, and a younger brother two years apart. Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: That was what I recalled, was that your sister in real life was older, and that you are a younger sister.
Speaker 4: And then yes, she might look younger though, that's what my nephew just told me, that she looks younger.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you, nephew. Yes, always, it all goes so fast, you know, because here we are, we were we can still talk about, like shooting this television show together, but we're sorry we're middle aged women now.
Speaker 4: Just the fact that our show is still talked about three something years later, and that we're here together talking and that I mean, we're so blessed, and it's just incredible that we had such an iconic show and an amazing experience together in our chemistry on the show, even though we didn't really hang out a side, you know, outside of the show, which people always ask me if we were working and we were starting families.
Speaker 3: Well, you were pretty young.
Speaker 2: I remember you were the first to get married as far as.
Speaker 3: I know, you got very young. Yeah, but there wasn't an we weren't a cast with drama.
Speaker 1: No, Doug was, Yeah, Doug was. He was the first to have kids.
Speaker 3: So much happened, like Joe's, you were juggling a mar your marriage in real life, you're juggling a television show that had become a hit, and juggling all those things, and like the natural progression of what you want to do in your twenties and as your marriage is then you want to think about starting to have kids, like all those things that you're juggling doing your real life, but also having this like really really consuming television show at the same time. Like you were one of the characters that was on from the beginning of all the four of us in this screen right now. You were the only one who was there at the beginning.
Speaker 1: And at the end, right and.
Speaker 3: You know, for most of it in between, So you really saw the evolution of all the different stages of Melrose, and like, what's your take how that evolved? Like how it changed over time? Like where it started? What do you think of as like the the you know, the height of it whatever, and then like how did it evolve over time?
Speaker 4: I was just like cracking up at how innocent it. It was like, I you forget because the show really became a dramaedy and that's what made it great, and I did. I forgot, like, oh my gosh, it was like the dance scenes around the pool hilarious, Like.
Speaker 3: Just so sweet and innocent in this. Yeah.
Speaker 4: But and then of course, like Heather came in and then once once the writers found that sort of like the hook of make it a dramaedy. Mm hmm. I feel like everything changed and storylines changed, the show took off, and then like I said, and then Rob came on, so that was a different aspect for me, but he was on. I think he came on when I left, and then the sixth season, when I look at who was in the sixth season. I'm like, where's what happened to all you guys? And I kind of forgot because I feel like a different.
Speaker 2: Show because I've watched all those and it looked like a different I mean different.
Speaker 1: Totally in the last season. Who was on from the original cast?
Speaker 4: You? Thomas, Thomas, Heather?
Speaker 1: Is that it?
Speaker 4: What about Grant?
Speaker 3: Did he leave?
Speaker 1: He left after five?
Speaker 3: He left after five? Okay, Yeah, so it really did go into like a whole other version. But it's so interesting that you were you gone for all of season six? It was, Yeah, so you really left at the end of five, along with a lot of the original cast members, So I see what you're saying, Like so that when you did come back, it was a real shock that it must have had just a difference, just different.
Speaker 4: Yeah, however, I was still working with Thomas the most, so that kind of felt just like all times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, you sure hung on to him no matter what he put you through.
Speaker 4: God, you know, your first love you just can't let go, you get rid.
Speaker 1: Of Did you guys get back together for that last season?
Speaker 4: Well? I know that. Okay, so the remake.
Speaker 2: Rob who played Kyle, But you have but then you have an affair with your ex and you have you're pregnant with Michael's baby.
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, we get so much to get we get there, Yeah because.
Speaker 4: Even yeah, that is right. So yeah, I'm with with Rob at the end, and I was five months pregnant for real, which was so cool, you guys, because I didn't have to make like the choice to leave a show or anything. I got to, you know, just as I was getting big worked out till show ended, and then you know, give birth to Mason, and I felt so complete with like that part of my work that I could really be present right and and be a mom.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what a gift to be able to do that and just go seamlessly into that next part of it. Yeah, great, that is a gift.
Speaker 1: Have your kids watched those last two seasons. I was super excited to watch them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's been fun.
Speaker 3: They have not watched it. They haven't watched the show, none of it, none of the ancient ones and none of the.
Speaker 4: None of it. No, but yeah, I'm gonna I'm gonna start putting it on though. Yeah, they just they haven't asked, They don't have a lot of interest. It doesn't seem like it.
Speaker 3: So that's consistent with what everyone else is saying about their kids that you know, are our kids aren't interested either. I mean the only thing that's sort of brought it to our kids' attention now is just this podcast in this this idea of rewatching something. But at the time, you know, they just didn't have any like motivation to go back and look at it, and they weren't watching it either. They weren't around or whatever. But even even other stuff like it's so weird, like children.
Speaker 4: They don't want that interested. Yeah, they don't want to see me being someone else. They think it's weird, and yeah, you know, I don't know. Yeah, they're just not Yeah, maybe the shows I do it's not their type. Like Maya loves horror, loves like thrillers, murder mysteries, she wants to be a forensic nurse. Yeah, and Mason likes like slapstick com Like we all three have such different tastes in what we watch. So but I know that they don't love watching They don't love watching rob either, just because they just it's like that's my mom and dad on there, and they're not who are they?
Speaker 3: It's weird? It's weird, like if you were to do a horror film, it would probably be one that Maya wouldn't want to watch, you know, like she just wants to watch a horror film. She doesn't want to watch her mom.
Speaker 1: We're so there, mom, and then to see us doing something else. It's not funny because it's almost like us watching ourselves and how uncomfortable it is. When Jack's friends were talking about Two and a Half Men and they thought it was so funny, so we wanted to watch it. We're about two minutes in and I looked at him and he looked so peeved, and I said, is it not fun watching mommy as a drunken whore?
Speaker 2: No, it was not.
Speaker 3: That's hilarious.
Speaker 1: It wasn't like he wasn't objective. It wasn't like, look at the funny lady was like, oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they can't separate it. Yeah, of course not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's so funny. I hadn't really thought about that.
Speaker 4: It's funny too, because even my family they started watching more because we had this time where I was on the phone with my mom. I said, I think I said, like, oh, the season premiere of the Secret Life of the American teenagers coming on tonight, right. Oh, I could hear them hang up, but she didn't hang up that she tried to hang up, but she didn't and my dad. I heard my dad go, what's she doing?
Speaker 3: Honey?
Speaker 2: We have our fans. We don't need our family to be.
Speaker 3: Family.
Speaker 1: My parents watched everything I did, and I remember when I finished on my rest place, my dad was like, oh, thank God, I can't watch you go through that anymore. They can't quite separate that it wasn't me going through that. Intellectually they know, but emotionally there's I mean, your parents, Jose had to watch you cry every week and be in this difficult marriage, and they're just like.
Speaker 3: And put up with the sister.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you have that horrible sister, no offense Laurable.
Speaker 4: And the other scene I Love Laura that I caught the other day was when, oh, it was a point where I'd cut my hair super short, like no, I was like so short, short and white that you pushed me. I was I was paralyzed or something.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, I don't remember how that's familiar.
Speaker 3: I can't wait to get to that stuff because I can't remember.
Speaker 4: But there was some well it's so good because you to do the dream sequences because you pushed my wheelchair and you had all control over me, and you're you're hitting the wheelchair against things, and I'm like, and then you pushed it out and a huge truck came and then ran over the wheelchair and me the dummy, and and then that was just her vision, right, And then we cut to me going Sydney, Sydney.
Speaker 1: So whatever happened?
Speaker 2: Do you remember that, Laura the wheelchair?
Speaker 4: And do you remember?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I just I remember of it. But like literally my recollection was having to do all this crazy stuff, but like Josie and I having a blast doing it, Like working with you was like it was just so fun all the time, and like that stuff. We were always trying to find like the ways to be funny with it, but like you know, you had to play the melodrama of it and the soapy drama. But I always thought that it was an opportunity for Sydney to be a little funny, and so it was fun to be that kind of funny with you.
Speaker 4: I agree, Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 1: And now you think that's why it works so well because you think of sisters, right, and you're either at each other's throat or you're laughing, and that's what made that relationship so real. And when we first started talking about doing the podcast, we watched the first episode that we were all in so that we could get a sense of it. And I remember seeing the two of you and thinking how completely I bought the sisters, Like I really you looked alike, you had even similar mannerisms. I bought it one hundred percent. And I think it's this exact relationship that even when you're yelling at each other, you loved each other so much and that yally.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you could see like there was history or or whatnot. So you're saying you when you watched the first episode where we were all in together, I.
Speaker 1: Think it was nineteen, it's the first one we were all in. Yeah, when I first when you first appeared, and right away you could buy their life. I think too, that's why the show works. It was such high melodrama, but we really got along. I think if we had actually hated each other yea, then it wouldn't have been fun to watch. Like you could see that we were having fun even in the serious, crazy drama. We were having so much fun with it, and not that played through, which is why it was fun as an audience member.
Speaker 4: That's kind of what I mean about, you know, right place, right time, and chemistry and characters like who they cast, and that everybody got along and worked well together. I think that's kind of uncommon.
Speaker 3: I don't know, yeah, but it is like lightning in a bottle. We actually got to have that experience. We were so lucky that it all worked out like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and watching from the beginning jokes. I don't know if you're seeing this, but you can see the episodes when it gels like we just did the bungee jumping episode and it was the same with all the guys together and you're like almost really friends, Like you could see them actually become friends in real time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was cute too. Yeah, and Andrew was fantastic.
Speaker 1: Oh, I just dive.
Speaker 4: He was so natural. It's so natural everybody like in Grant too, Like even though he was pissed off all the time, he's really really good, Like right like and Andrew with not having me, you know, acting experience, he was just just a darling.
Speaker 3: So do you remember do you remember that when I first came in as a guest and do you remember that I had zero experience? Do you remember those scenes like I didn't know about like matching or any of that stuff.
Speaker 4: Like I don't remember you not. I don't think I knew. I assumed you had experience. I was new too, I mean I did the Hogan family, Like, yeah, like you didn't seem that way to me. I mean I just looked up to you.
Speaker 3: I was like always just relying on you to like make sure I didn't totally screwzings up. Like No, you were just the person I completely looked up to to, you know, help me figure it out.
Speaker 4: Oh, really so sweet?
Speaker 3: How's sister late?
Speaker 1: That'sdorable.
Speaker 2: You know, stuff like that, Laura, stuff like that really bleeds into the Yeah, into the performances, even if we don't try to. That really probably added to your sister the energy, you know that came across on the screen of you being the young the sister because.
Speaker 3: You were the younger sister.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what it felt like what you're describing right now.
Speaker 4: That's remember your first scene and you were smoking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right smoking. The character was supposed to be smoking, so it's actually smoking the cigarette whatever. And then when Mary the script supervisor told me that I needed to match like it had a cigarette to my lips on the same beat of the dialogue, so that if you wanted to cut, Yeah, and so it was like manically smoking, just like, oh my god. But that was the quality that quickly, Yeah, they put that one.
Speaker 1: Up because you got too dizzy.
Speaker 3: It's like too much smoking. He no longer smoked by take three.
Speaker 1: You're just like we thought.
Speaker 3: It was a good idea, but then a lot of for Laura. Please, yes, I have something to show you. It's an envelope. I riped the heck out of it to open it up, but I've saved it all these years. You wrote me a note at the end of season five. I think you were leaving on an airplane.
Speaker 4: I know when we were bawling, both of that, like we were really.
Speaker 3: Is this from the scene, you guys? The scene was that she was her character was leaving on an airplane and Geene and Sidney had to have a goodbye.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I was really leaving the show.
Speaker 3: It was a real goodbye. But yeah, like you, Josie gave me this in my trailer as a goodbye, but you labeled it to sid Oh and I'm going to read you the note because I've saved it all these years.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, oh, oh my god, I remember that notepad. My gosh.
Speaker 3: Okay, sid Hi, I am having fun in Chicago, feeling very free. I thought you might like this shirt. It's always reminded me of you, the strong one I love and miss you. Love Jane.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, what shirt?
Speaker 3: You gave me a shirt too?
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: I gotta be honest. I don't dress. I don't have the shirt because I mean, I'm a sentimental person. So I kept the note for sure, but the shirt has disappeared over the years. I have three daughters who have overtime, like Pilford everything, so I could have ended up anywhere. But I've saved this note, and I love that you can remember the paper in the writing.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, Lord, that's.
Speaker 3: So send my special things box.
Speaker 4: Will you take a photo of it and send it to me?
Speaker 3: I will.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 3: I keep the sentimental stuff and the small stuff that fits in a box.
Speaker 4: Otherwise are you to get rid of stuff?
Speaker 3: I mean, did you take anything from did you have any like pieces of clothing.
Speaker 4: Or I think I had given it to my mom and then it ended up probably at a garage sale. I'm not sure, but like it's gone. No, like there was that like letter letter min jucket or something that was cool. Yeah, I don't have anything. I Oh, I have a shooter's hat shooters baseball shooter's hat.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's good.
Speaker 4: M Yeah, in my little drunk trunk of stuff I keep. I might have more, yeah, Joe, So is.
Speaker 2: There anything that you want to share with like that you've watching the show again and listening to podcasts that you thought, Oh, I want to tell this to the fans.
Speaker 4: Of course, it was longo rewatching It is great. I mean it's just a journey, right, What a beautiful journey that we've got to go on together. And that also our fans have followed us through which is our demographic and such a nostalgic time the nineties, and I missed those times. I miss that times where people would get together and you know, you didn't stream and watch every single episode. Anyone stops me. It's one of the things they always say, is we watched that in Nurse Rority or we always got together. And so I think that's why people have such great memories of Melrose, not just really the show coming together at the community, the people meeting up. I just don't think people do as much anymore. And so I'm so happy that we got to give that to people. And I'm so thankful and grateful that we still have, you know, a beautiful fan base.
Speaker 3: And in doing this podcast, we're we're hearing those stories all the time, Like you said, like we hear you know, just out in the world, but yeah, hearing it a lot with this podcast to people remembering watching it and then loving revisiting it, and we like to continue to encourage people to send us their questions and their thoughts or whatever. But also, like I was thinking, the people that they watched with, like sharing it with them, like you know, it's a great reason to like reach out and go, oh my god, do you remember this time that we watched the show together? Like you know, that's true, have that because I think people really remember who they were with and what that time was in their lives, and.
Speaker 4: Absolutely they do.
Speaker 3: They do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, I've had so much fun watching it with you guys, even though I'm not with you, like hearing you guys talk about like the clothes and I mean, it's just wild to look at the fashions come back.
Speaker 1: It doesn't look as weird as I thought it would. It really looked pretty timely. Yeah yeah, well, we'll definitely have you back to do a reward. We want to watch an episode with you.
Speaker 3: I'd be great.
Speaker 2: I have one more question before we jump to that point of the wardrobe, because you always had such cool wardrobe, Joe says Jane. But did you have say in that and what you wore?
Speaker 4: It was always so well. I always wanted to be a fashion designer, so I was going to go to the Sales School of Fashion design after I got back from Japan. And how crazy is it that Jane was a fashion designer? What funny?
Speaker 3: It was so fun to see you out in the wilderness and like coming to on the podcast with us. We've been really excited to have you here.
Speaker 4: It's so good. Yeah, you guys tools were such a great job. But all of you, I just want to say that you're really funny and it's just it's just fun to watch.
Speaker 3: And listen to.
Speaker 1: Thank you genuinely enjoy each other.
Speaker 3: Thanks, Well, you'll be back. Yep, Well thanks for coming. Joe's rolling down the Hill and some exception to Tom and everyone will all right season, Thank you, love you soon.
Speaker 2: Hi. So we've had a fan question of what was your favorite thing to do in downtime on.
Speaker 3: The set court Did you say that you were a knitter?
Speaker 1: No, no, no. I used to knit on set all the time, and I think I started knitting on Alie. I don't think I started knitting on reading. I remember carrying great big that's and we had actual books. I remember just carrying great big books runks. We had a lot of time in our trailers, yeah, and decorating my trailer. I spent a lot of time at Peer one getting pillows and because they say, yeah, you.
Speaker 3: Candle in our trailers, Yeah, to make them a little bit more pleasant.
Speaker 4: Snatch.
Speaker 2: I remember going to local target and getting earthquake supplies after the earthquake we had out there, oh gosh, yeah, like nineteen ninety water and sleeping bags. I don't know, just going with someone there to get supplies, a supply kit.
Speaker 1: Really during work hours, during.
Speaker 3: You know, because we always had down days.
Speaker 2: I remember Thomas, like I don't know, wanting to get golf in or something like a couple because it would be all hours if you shot in the morning, A scene and then you had four hours, but you couldn't really go home.
Speaker 3: So yeah, Grant would have his golf clubs in the car just in case, you know, he'd get off early and could go swing by that there was like a nearby like nine hole, yeah, of course or something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were really kind about that. Like I've worked on a lot of things and they won't let you go anywhere. They were like, yeah, you can go for two hours. They were really great about that. And I think that was even before cell phones, so they really trusted us to be back in two hours like that, and that was really amazing.
Speaker 3: And even the cell phones that we got, it wasn't like they wouldn't pass the time, Like we wouldn't sit on our phone. There was nothing to do on the phone. It was just the cell phones at that time were just like if you needed to make a call, but it wasn't like a way to pass the time.
Speaker 1: I remember hanging out in the production office between scenes, just going there were those couches and we'd just go hang out. And that's what was sweet about that time, right. We talked about the difference between then and now, like now people are on their phones, are doing business. We had nothing to do, so we would hang out. We'd all hang out in that production office and chat. And that's why we got so close to the crew. Or go into the wardrobe trailer and talk to Tony and Kathleen. Yeah, hang out a lot, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was one season I had I had like bands and stuff in my trailer because I was rehabbing after a knee surgery that I had to do a knee surgery in between seasons. I remember, so yeah wow, and like yeah, I had my acl reconstruction in between, and then I got back after you know, it was a very short hiatus because we were doing so many episodes and I wasn't quite done with my rehabit. I was still really like the leg had really after feed and whatever. I was still working on building the muscle back and everything. And so that was the season that all the cast photos that we did for promos. At the beginning of the season, I was suddenly going from short skirts to long dresses because I had to cover I was wearing a knee brace, and so they switched Sydney's wardrobe into wearing long dresses and stuff to cover the knee brace. Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wow, well, I remember that. I remember, I mean early early hours to answer this question. You know, if you're Seene was first up? I remember sometimes getting there before the local Starbucks, probably the first Starbucks in the like La County. Sometimes I would go, no, it has to be open, Like if I had to be in the chair, I think it opened.
Speaker 3: It I don't know, six maybe or five point thirty.
Speaker 2: And if I had to be there before that, I was so dreading it because I just want to quickly stop and get a Starbucks and bring that to the makeup trailer.
Speaker 3: Remember it took an like.
Speaker 2: Two hours to take you guys two hours make up.
Speaker 3: Getting ready process.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the time usually it took.
Speaker 1: I was an hour. I wouldn't. I was like, you can do as much as you can in an hour's really really, it's still my role. You can do as much as you can in an hour and then just good luck.
Speaker 2: That's a good rule.
Speaker 3: I would not like an hour and a half. Good life. Wow. Well, next week we'll be back to our recaps. We'll be on season one, episode six, Second Chances. Be sure to listen, subscribe, tune in next week, and we'll see you soon.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so soon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Bye Bye, Bye guys.