Speaker 1: Morning Run with Amy and TJ and iHeartRadio Podcast. Good morning everyone, It's Monday, April seventh. Welcome to your morning Run. I'm Amy Robot and.
Speaker 2: I'm TJ Holmes. Don't tell us who died on White Lotus. We haven't watched it yet, so just keep it to yourselves. I think a lot of people are going to be spending the day doing exactly that, at least the first part of the day saying, everybody, don't tell me. The finale was last night.
Speaker 1: I had to be very careful as we were researching our stories this morning to not hit any page that might have a headline that would give away the ending. We are very much looking forward to watching the season finale of White Lotus later today, so yes, no spoilers anyone please.
Speaker 2: At all, and we won't have any in this morning run. But on today's Monday Morning Run, we still got Wehather to talk about. First that once in a generation storm is finally moving out to see later today, but the death toll continues.
Speaker 1: To rise and HHAs Secretary RFK Junior attends the funeral of a second child who has now died of measles in this country plus more than fifty nations want to negotiate Trump's tariffs, according to the White House.
Speaker 2: Also this morning, you again ned and Yahoo back at the White House already This again, TikTok gets another temporary reprieve. Plus brace yourself for another potentially brutal day on Wall Street.
Speaker 1: There are a few things to smile about, though. How about a surprise appearance by Pope Francis over the weekend and the surprise at the box office from a video game movie that no one saw coming. And celebration on the ice after a record was set that no one thought could be broken.
Speaker 2: And it wasn't competitive, but it was still beautiful to watch the Yukon women once again the women's national champions and the men's championship game is tonight and Duke Aain in it. After a stunning collapse in the final four over the weekend.
Speaker 1: It was a reminder not to go to bed early like I did, thinking that Duke had won it by a landslide, to wake up the next morning to have TJ you tell me they.
Speaker 2: Lost and epic epic collapse.
Speaker 1: All right, well, we will get into all of that in just a bit, but we begin our morning run with that severe weather system that swept the nation over the past several days. Well it has now claimed at least twenty lives. The slow moving, even at times stationary system spawned ninety tornadoes across ten states and dumped rainfall amounts that caused flash flooding throughout the Midwest and South.
Speaker 2: Ten of the deaths were in Tennessee. In Kentucky, a nine year old boy was swept away by floodwaters as he was walking to the school bus. National Weather Service has reported that Kentucky, Arkansas, and Tennessee all received more than a foot of ranks.
Speaker 1: East Memphis received fifteen inches, Illinois, Mississippi, Missouri all got more than ten inches. This was significant. Weather forecasters say flooding threats are going to continue for the next several days, even after the system moves out to sea thankfully later today. But they were saying there were at least eight keen rivers that are in major flood stages and it's only going to get worse over the next couple of days.
Speaker 2: We will continue here on this morning morning run now with a second child that has died from measles in this country. This happened in Texas, which has been the center of that growing outbreak. The Department of Health and Human Services has confirmed that an unvaccinated eight year old girl died after recently recently being diagnosed.
Speaker 1: That's right. An HHS Secretary, Robert F. Kennedy Junior, attended the child's funeral yesterday. He spoke to the girl's family privately. He didn't say anything publicly at the funeral, but he did post this on x My intention was to come down here quietly to console the families and to be with the community in their moment of grief. The most effective way to prevent the spread of measles is the MMR vaccine.
Speaker 2: Now, in addition to the deaths of two children, an adult in neighboring New Mexico is also believed to have died from measles this year. Are these are the first deaths from measles in this country in over a decade. The outbreak in Texas has infected nearly five hundred people so far.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was even a fourteen percent jump in cases in just this past week, and that included six infants and toddlers who all tested positive at a day care center in Lubbock. So the situation there is not over and unfortunately is worsening.
Speaker 2: And the next leg of our run now takes us to Washington, DC, and the White House is defending Trump's tariffs on US trading partners. After his ten percent tariff on all US imports went into effect over the weekend.
Speaker 1: The Trump administration saying more than fifty countries have reached out to the President to try and negotiate a deal ahead of the next looming deadline. The larger individual tariffs on countries goes into effect this Wednesday.
Speaker 2: The White House says countries are coming to the table because they understand they bear a lot of the tariffs. Here. Trump has imposed tariffs that are essentially half of what each country charges the US. Trump says he wants to even He wants actually to even the US trading deficit, but critics say he's just creating an unnecessary trade war that continues to esc and is going to lead to higher prices that are going to be passed on to you the consumer.
Speaker 1: Next up on our run, Netanyahu is becoming a regular. The Israeli Prime Minister is expected to meet with President Trump at the White House today.
Speaker 2: He was just there though at the White House in early February. He was actually the first foreign leader to meet with President Trump after his election. Nen Yahoo is now expected to be the first foreign leader to negotiate or plead with Trump face to face over the new tariffs.
Speaker 1: Yes, Israel has been slapped with a seventeen percent reciprocal tariff as part of Trump's Liberation Day tariffs, which again apply to all US trade partners, and of course expect the Israel Gaza war to be on the agenda between the two leaders today.
Speaker 2: Right continuing on our Monday morning run now, in a deal to save TikTok apparently was in place last week, but reportedly it all fell apart because of Trump's tariffs. The administration had been working, as you might know, to find US investors to take over TikTok.
Speaker 1: Bye law, the app cannot have China based owners, and it was facing that Saturday deadline to find US owners or the app would possibly go dark here in the United States. Well, President Trump said he believed they'd have a deal in place in time, but the Associated Press is now reporting that deal was in fact in the works, but China pumped the brakes on moving forward after Trump announced his Liberation Day tariffs. On all trade partners, including China.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so China was hit with a thirty four percent tariff. They ended up hitting the US with a retaliatory tariff as well. So now there's another seventy five day reprieve for TikTok and it's one hundred and seventy million US users, So it's encouraging that something was being done. It looked like there might have been a deal in place. Too bad that the tariffs through everything off. So, oh, your TikTok users here you are again.
Speaker 1: No certainty, Yeah, but a seventy five day reprieve and continuing our tariff flock here on the morning run. Next up on the run, markets around the world continue to react sharply and negatively to President Trump's new tariffs. Asian and European markets all took a dive at their openings today, dropping between five and ten percent in most cases, and that certainly is significant.
Speaker 2: Embrace yourself, folks, because as of this recording, US stock futures are down significantly. They are signaling that we could be in for another brutal day on Wall Street when those markets to officially open at nine thirty am Eastern time. We will continue here on our run and head over to Rome. And look who showed up at Saint Peter Square.
Speaker 1: What a moment, what a sight, and what a big surprise for the faithful to see Pope Francis yesterday make an unannounced appearance at the Vatican. This is the first time we've seen him since he left the hospital two weeks ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was in a wheelchair, but he was smiling at times, he was waving at times. He was wearing an apparatus also that helped him breathe. But we saw him when he left the hospital a couple of weeks ago, and he did he raised his arm a little bit and waved, had a little smile. He clearly was a little more mobile and looked in better shape this time around. Said a few words to the crowd, but very significant words. He said happy Sunday, and he also said thank you to the rest on.
Speaker 1: The eighty eight year old spent more than a month in the hospital after bronchitis turned into double pneumonia. His doctors only revealed last night that the pontiff came on two occasions, came close to death. But certainly good to see him not only out of the hospital but smiling and waving and speaking it's all good news.
Speaker 2: Yes, that was a surprise of appearance that we've been talking about. We talked about the Pope every single day here, it's well, yeah, for a full month. Yeah, because he was in the hospital and we kept saying, man, what a sight when he gets out of the hospital, What a sight when he goes back. And that was the sight that many people didn't even think we would ever get to see. Well, stay with us here on this Monday Morning, Ron, when we come back, a much needed boost for the box office, and it came courtesy of Minecraft. And then we could not believe what we were seeing in the Women's National Championship game yesterday. And then we saw something last night a lot of people thought we would never see. But this was an hockey The next leg of our Monday Morning Ron takes us to Hollywood as we continue now, and a big sigh of relief in Hollywood as a Minecraft movie unexpectedly breaks a major dry spell and did it in a major way.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The film was only expected to gross around sixty million dollars on its opening weekend, but instead it officially marked the biggest opening weekend of the year. Grossing one hundred and fifty seven million dollars domestically. A lot of experts believe this could be because college students and teenagers were on spring break this weekend and that boosted sales certainly in some markets, but they also say it was word of mouth. It's spread very quickly online. People loved this movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've seen some recent hits when it comes to video game movies. There was Five Nights at Freddy's and then of course you had Super Mario Brothers that did gangbusters at the box office. But this movie, now a Minecraft movie, is the biggest domestic opening weekend ever or the genre. The movie significantly helped box office numbers, which were down thirteen percent so far this year, so the industry is getting a much needed boost. This is one that's not necessarily the kids playing Minecraft. But this wasn't necessarily on our radar to go watch. But now I'm curious interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so good for them, and certainly they all the movie experts said they were concerned after March's numbers. They were so bad. So this movie did a lot to give the industry some relief, thinking, Okay, people will go to the movie theaters just for the right movie. All Right, next up on our run. A new record was set last night in the National Hockey League, and it was a record that stood for thirty one years and one that many thought would never be broken.
Speaker 2: Alex Ovechkin has now surpassed the great one, Wayne Gretzky to become the all time scoring leader in hockey a Vetchkin scored goal number eight hundred and ninety five last night against the New York Islanders and was immediately mobbed by his teammate. The game stopped for a ceremony that included speeches, tears, presentations. Gretzki himself was there, but the I think I'll have to start all this off. After he made the goal, he looked like a kid in the front yard on a slipping slide. He just went did a big old belly flop. It's just cool to see a grown man have that kind of joy and playing a game. It was cool. I hear you.
Speaker 1: That is very cool. Ivechkin had been in the NHL for twenty years, all of them with the same team, the Washington Capitals. He's been MVP. He's led the Capitals to their first championship. That happened in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 2: A weird stat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is okay, this is an interesting stat. This was Avenchkin's one wait, one four hundred and eighty seventh game. Gretzky's record was set after one thy four hundred and eighty seven games.
Speaker 2: That is weird that happened. But they have been watching this for the past several games, so the commissioner and Gretzky have been traveling around. You have to be there in case he breaks it, so they were there for this one last night. His family is boy, it was just a wonderful moment. They lost the game. Who cares?
Speaker 1: Who cares? And it was cool the Kretzky's there. I mean, look, it's not something that you probably are excited about someone breaking your record, but it was cool that he was there to help him celebrate and to honor him.
Speaker 2: Those guys have been good athletes. Kareem was there for Lebron setting the scoring record, and you see this these guys. Yeah, you know, none of these guys want their records broken. What is the part of history? Yo it to the game. We would continue here next up on this morning's run. This leg of our run takes us to Tampa where the women's National Championship game was played yesterday, and it wasn't down to the wire. It wasn't even close. It wasn't even competitive for the most part. But still it was impressive to watch.
Speaker 1: You always say this about the women's games, that it's just a beautiful game to watch. The Yukon Huskies thoroughly and masterfully dismantled the South Carolina game Cocks eighty two to fifty nine. So yeah, they won by twenty three points. That is the third largest blowout in championship game history. That's not one you want to be on the other side of. Right, only behind Yukon on.
Speaker 2: The list, Yeah, the only This is the third largest blowout in championship game history. The other two biggest blowouts were done by Yukon. They did it to somebody. This is an unbelievable franchise, if you will. At this point, Yukon has been to sixteen of the last seventeen final fours. This is their twelfth championship. It's their first championship though since twenty sixteen for them, that seems like a drought. Everybody's like, what's happening to the program. They haven't won one in nine years, but here they are and you watch this entire game with me as well, even though it wasn't competitive kinetic, they look unbelievable and Paige Becker's congratulates to her finally getting a championship. But our favorite Aisy Fudd, Yes, Azy Fudd was the most outstanding player of the final four. So just another impressive run by these women. They run well.
Speaker 1: It was very fun to watch, and that's it's interesting for me to say, who I haven't normally watched women's basketball, and also to watch a blowout and yet to have it still be in a containing. It was really fun watching you enjoying the game too, like that was part of the fun, all right. So the men's championship game is going to be played tonight, and to the shock of a lot of people, including me, Duke ain't in it after an absolutely stunning meltown Saturday in its final four matchup against Houston.
Speaker 2: So you would have been justified if you were like roboch on Saturday night, Duke was up by fourteen points, it was eight minutes to play. They seemed to be in command. She called it a night. A lot of people did, and then Duke was up by nine points with just three minutes to play, and yes, they lost. Houston scored nine points in the final thirty five seconds of that game. They capitalized on Duke's mishaps, some fouls, mishots, and turnovers. So now Houston is going to play Florida tonight. Florida had its own the Thriller against Auburn on on Saturday. The game is at eight fifty Eastern time tonight on c b S. But don't stop watching, folks, you might miss it.
Speaker 1: I know that I won't. I learned my lesson, but it was really late, like it was almost midnight. In de of my decision, I say this all the time.
Speaker 2: You can't because you miss history, lose a little sleep. But something happened on Saturday night that you will never see again. I'm glad you got that extra thirty minutes. But folks, as you go about your day to day getting started on this Monday, something we'd like for you to consider it is our quote of the day.
Speaker 1: Yes, fear has two meanings forget everything and run, or face everything and rise. The choice is yours. I love that we're ruled so often by fear. If you think about it, so I just like turning fea r on its head and to face everything and rise.
Speaker 2: Forget everything and run sounds funny, though I'm picturing somebody. I think you really do that. When you have fear, you forget everything and run.
Speaker 1: I mean run away from the problem, run away from the person, run away from the experience. I think a lot of folks do that.
Speaker 2: It sounds so pathetic that nobody wants to be that forget everything and run. That's not me.
Speaker 1: Well if you tell yourself that right when you're feeling fearful, do I want to do this? Hell no, I don't want to do this. I want to face everything and rise. So let's do that on this Monday. Fear has two meanings. Forget everything and run or face everything and rise. The choice is yours. Those last four words are important. The choice is yours. Thanks for running with us, everybody.
Speaker 2: I'm Amy Robot and on TJ. Holmes. Remember we don't want to hear anything about White Lotus until we tell you we've seen the episode. And don't miss the National Championship game tonight and stick with it through the end. Folks, you might miss something special. Talk to you sooner