Speaker 1: Welcome into the Ravens Press Pass podcast. It is Wednesday, August fourteenth. The Ravens held another practice of training camp today, but prior to practice, the team released a pair of statements. The first was related to offensive line coach Joe D. L Sandras. The team announced that Joe D was hospitalized over the weekend with an acute illness and he is going to be sidelined for an extended period of time as he continues to receive treatment. With Joe D currently out and hospitalized, the team brought in offensive line coach George Warhop to take over for the time being. Additionally, the team released a statement about tight end Mark Andrews. He's fine, but he was in a car accident Wednesday morning and did not practice on Wednesday. The expectation is that he should be back on the field in a couple of days. Head coach John Harbaugh met with the media after practice and talked about all of that this afternoon.
Speaker 2: Okay, good to see everybody. Sure appreciate you being here here.
Speaker 3: A good tough practice pads, very physical practice. Guys stepped up and we've got a lot of good work done.
Speaker 2: What questions you have you heard.
Speaker 1: About the good news doctors.
Speaker 2: Uh, pop out, Yeah, it's.
Speaker 3: He does your Yeah, Joe d Joe delessandras Uh we love Joe de and Uh. He had a surgery early in the summer and he came back a little bit. Uh you know, some complications have arisen from it. So he's in the hospital right now and he'll be focusing on his health for the next significant period of time.
Speaker 2: And it's it's a blow.
Speaker 3: I mean it's a blow because he's a great football coach that he's beloved by the players, by the coaches. He's uh, he's he's one of our time. He's a top game planner, he's a top coach. He's a huge part of our offense.
Speaker 2: And he's gonna be missed very much.
Speaker 3: But we're gonna be much more concerned about his health and his welfare and as well being going for Ford. He's got his daughters back with him. His daughters have been a made all summer. They're the absolute best I know. He cherishes those girls. So it's gonna be okay. And then we're bringing to George Warhop. George war Up's a guy that actually we played against each other in college.
Speaker 2: Now he was at Cincinnati.
Speaker 3: I was at Miami, the oldest rivalry west of the Alleghany Mountains. It's about one hundred and thirty years old. That's pretty old, right, and continuous rivalry. He played every year. The victory bell was always at stake. They won too, we went to I can tell you I remember George very well as a player. He does not remember me. He didn't notice me out there, but I noticed him.
Speaker 2: He was a great player.
Speaker 3: He's been a great coach in this league, and we're very fortunate and blessed to have him come aboard.
Speaker 2: A statement about Mark Andrews, how is he feeling? What else can you say about that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's feeling good. I would say, you know, I would say about that, I would say, where your seat belts? You know, Mark wore's seat belts. And that was an accident that happened, and it was pretty significant, I believe, and he came out of it with nothing, nothing.
Speaker 2: At all, not a scrape.
Speaker 3: So we're your seat belts, and we're we're thankful to God for that, for him coming out of that's safe, and for God protecting him in that circumstances. Comes back to the entry interception today. What did that missing the pen. How good is that to back playing list? Yeah, yeah, it's great, you know, it's great. It's great to have him back playing. Great and uh he bro a resilient guy. What a leader, leader by example, leader by every way. But uh, but he had He's had two great practices since that.
Speaker 2: John all along chat there with Brandon Hyde, What did you guys talk about?
Speaker 3: We were talking about the uh, the suicide squeeze, you know, Hitt, hit and run, Hello, Hitt and run in there. Uh, we're talking about about our teams. Really, you know, he was I kind of had some questions about his team, and he had some questions about my team, and maybe some things that were coming up with his team, and I had no I had no advice for him, and some things up with our team, and you know, we just that's kind of how it works, you know. So as Joey you watch him. I have so much respect for Brandon. I think is a great coach, great skipper, and what a job they've done a team. So exciting having those guys they're right there right there behind the A got them right up there behind you know, with the players they were fifteen yards away from the play and I think they were really enjoying it, you know, just like our guys would like be right there on the dugout rail if you could be, you know.
Speaker 2: So it's pretty cool having having those guys here.
Speaker 3: So Steve Wilkes on the sideline today, can you talk to us about your relationship with it? Yeah, Steve obviously another guy he wanted to come visit practice. I think Steve is visiting certain teams here during training camp. And you know, like coaches do, coaches like to get out and they like to learn, like the research, and Steve is another coach we have tremendous respect for. Uh He's been a guy that we've known for a long time. And having him here and picking his brain a little bit that was that was really cool.
Speaker 2: Too, John or Saturday.
Speaker 3: Is it kind of gonna be the same philosophy for your starters, especially for something like Lamar from the preseason or will you get any more guys out there? Yeah, you know it's gonna be case by case for sure, Morgan, but it'll be in the same direction as last time.
Speaker 2: Uh No is not gonna play See he's tough man, He's tough. The old follow up Christ here. Yeah, the tough follow up.
Speaker 3: Christ I mean y'all knew that already, right, Okay, good, he didn't divulge anything there, but there'll be headlines about it, which is crazy to me.
Speaker 2: But that's it's cool. That's a good point. Yeah, it's a good problem to have. Forest park and said he's not injured at Andrews is not injured. Yeah, I think you said in the statements that he's effectively back in a few days, because that still kind of yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean Marks, the guys played for a long time. You know, there's always gonna be you know, the the bumps and bruises and things like that. And he's definitely a guy that we watched closely, watched. We watch those guys. We watched We watch Rokwan closely. Those guys have played for a while, watch him closely, we'll take You'll see some guys will come out and not have as many reps in a day, things like that.
Speaker 2: So we're always watching those guys closely.
Speaker 3: There have been so few really headlines. I can't thirstart you act you make out of a quiet, good, solid range camp and then you know he was on Joe d.
Speaker 2: And Mark and axident.
Speaker 3: Did I feel like a day like I can get together and talk to everyone, like just to kind of be together a little more and just talk about what's important.
Speaker 2: Well we've been. I think we talk about it every night.
Speaker 3: We have team meeting every night, offensive defensive meetings morning and night, and I think we're talking about everything we need to talk about every day. And so much of it is just is getting getting good at what we do in football, communicating and being on the same page with our football. I don't have to say much to these guys about taking care of themselves, because they do. They get their rest, they take care of their bodies. They come in ready to go to work, and they come to work ready to work, and and you see that by the way they work. So I'm just proud of them. They're getting they're making the most of this training camp for sure. I mean they really are.
Speaker 2: And let's see where it takes us.
Speaker 3: Every Yeah, it's an interesting it's an interesting dilemma for sure. It's definitely not something I've ever been associated with. I would just say, by the grace of God, George Warhop is available, a guy that we've known for many years and respected, who Todd has worked with in the past and Tampa Bay other coaches have known him and worked with him that are our staff.
Speaker 2: He knows our he knows, he knows.
Speaker 3: He doesn't know our system per se in terms of our terminology, but he can learn that very quickly.
Speaker 2: But he knows our techniques.
Speaker 3: He knows the style, the way we're running the plays, the principles of the plays. He knows all that stuff. He's an experienced coach and knows that stuff inside now. So he'll step right in and he'll start working with those guys right away. And I'll say this, Trevell Warton's been doing a great job too. You know, he's played all those years, brings that player coach experience, and he's done a good job in the interim and he'll continue to do a great job. Travis Sweitzer has done a great job as well. So we're happy with all of our coaches technically.
Speaker 2: Have about working ship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, George will be the offensive line coach and and Travell will be working with him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he'll be working together that way. He'll be the main offensive Lineam you get a call like that this morning?
Speaker 3: Pre tramatizing?
Speaker 2: You get a calling god bt more?
Speaker 3: Well, No, because I got a call you. I got the call that I got. The text that I got said he was okay. So it was a text, so maybe that softened it a little bit. And I saw that he's okay, So he was okay, I was okay.
Speaker 1: If you're listening to the Ravens Press Past podcast, make sure you hit that subscribe button and we will be back with you tomorrow