Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is Mick shot streaming live on dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys apt Now. Here are Bill Jones, Everson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola, and.
Speaker 3: It's a back to work Wednesday here inside the SWBC podcast studio at the Beautiful Star in Frisco. It might be raining outside, but it's a beautiful day here inside. Bill Jones, Everson Walls, and the star of the show, Mickey Mick.
Speaker 4: Where the where's the applause? Let's go, Let's go.
Speaker 3: All right, let's go. It's time, It's go time.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: It is first distractice full practice of the week.
Speaker 3: Okay, because they did Okay, so let's get the player's schedule.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: They were here on Monday after a three day weekend, and then they had to take another day off yesterday, right, and so that's why it's a back to work Wednesday to day right.
Speaker 5: Correct, Juggling up the schedule, change things up.
Speaker 3: When you get the three day you got to go back to your college alma mater and go to their first game of the year on Saturday, or in case of Michael Parsons, you go down to Texas to their game. Is that where he was yep, de Marvin was down there, I think too. And so then you get your three day weekend, which is your last weekend before the grind starts.
Speaker 5: You go to Oklahoma.
Speaker 3: No, no, and so then you're back to work on Monday, Labor Day. But because you worked the holiday, it's a little later start Tuesday, and so now here we are it's game week officially, a little later.
Speaker 5: Start to practice. What's going on with that twelve twenty Yeah.
Speaker 3: Later McCarthy press conference can't just wrapped up.
Speaker 5: They had meetings and stuff, I guess, so they changed it up. It's the definition of insanity, right, doing the same thing time you get the same results.
Speaker 4: So practice all the time.
Speaker 5: He's changing it up.
Speaker 4: So the practice all the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, they do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And we practiced over and over again.
Speaker 3: But it's an indoor practice today, I.
Speaker 5: Would imagine it's still raining, so we're getting we're getting water coming down into the ground instead of coming up out of the grounds.
Speaker 4: As opposed to you know, a sprinklessness. Yes, you're talking about Hey, So.
Speaker 6: That's why this is why I got it right, because I just the time I've seen it rain since July whenever we left for training camp.
Speaker 3: Although it rained so much the first half of the year that the grass didn't even turn brown.
Speaker 5: This year, Oh yes, it did. Come come with me.
Speaker 4: Live yeah, okay, okay, you live out in the country. We don't get in.
Speaker 3: You have to have a major sprinkling.
Speaker 5: We didn't even get the rain at the beginning end of last week.
Speaker 3: All right, But so here we are. Brown's Week has now officially begun because they're back to work on this Wednesday. It's just heard Mike McCarthy set the tone and set the theme for the entire season, right.
Speaker 4: He did.
Speaker 5: And the theme this year is rooted that you've established a foundation and now it's time to grow. And he explained that, let me make sure.
Speaker 4: I get this quote here.
Speaker 5: Yeah that uh, it's like there's there's always a fifth year window.
Speaker 3: And what happened to his fifth year in Green Bay?
Speaker 5: They won a Super Bowl?
Speaker 4: Did you know that?
Speaker 5: And so he said that things happened in five year increments, and I guess that happened in Green Bay, he said. He said that he didn't appreciate it because his dad used to preach that about five years until he had his own kids that don't listen to him.
Speaker 3: That interesting, you know, you need kind of five years.
Speaker 5: And then when we did the walk off, he mentioned and I forgot how to pronounce the tree, but it was a Chinese bamboo tree that you water for four years and it doesn't grow, and then the fifth year it grows eighty feet.
Speaker 4: What that's what he said.
Speaker 3: It's amazing how bamboo can grow like all of a sudden.
Speaker 7: I know, forget the cowboys. I did not know this. That's amazing.
Speaker 5: And there was a name. It starts with disease Zurich, Zurich.
Speaker 4: I don't know what.
Speaker 5: I can't He wouldn't spell it for.
Speaker 7: Us, so I'm sure that the the bamboo uh Chinese person was like, man, I just messed up.
Speaker 4: I just lost all my bound.
Speaker 5: So when we walked when we walked back from the.
Speaker 4: Lock later, he's inundated with bamboos.
Speaker 5: When we walked back from the locker room. The little place last year where they had the display up on the upper concourse with the cart d M. That was the theme last year, sees everything right. They seized almost every.
Speaker 4: Yeah, everything doing the regular season.
Speaker 5: Yeah, right, and so I would imagine we're going to see some bamboo trees up there this time.
Speaker 4: Now, you know, Jimmy had a five year thing here is that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, he had a five year plan for every place. He was right darting at Oklahoma State.
Speaker 3: But it was his eighty fourth year the Cowboys won the Super Bowl and his fifth year. Yeah for Jimmy, but he was out ever stayed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but he was out after five after Yeah.
Speaker 3: And so the idea on this though, is so.
Speaker 7: Jimmy is like Jimmy is like a bamboo tree. He comes, he's out in five.
Speaker 5: Years, went to Miami. He's gone five years, the Cowboys five years.
Speaker 3: But the winds came before the fifth year and the winning of the championship.
Speaker 4: It came the fourth year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, yeah, so okay, now everyone's going to be giggling Chinese bamboo.
Speaker 4: Trying to figure this out.
Speaker 3: The Zurich tree is one of the most common trees.
Speaker 7: That's the one that's the tree that's it.
Speaker 5: Then I think, well, I don't know, Well, it started.
Speaker 4: With a z we had.
Speaker 7: We had a neighbor in Hamilton Park had bamboo bamboo trees.
Speaker 4: The bamboo stuff up there.
Speaker 7: Really, I don't know if it was the same bamboo, but that was they had a bamboo tree, bamboo plant or whatever.
Speaker 5: You cut down a stick and try.
Speaker 7: Something. I walked by, I'm like, man, this stuff is. It was kind of overgrown as well. So yeah, you can do that because.
Speaker 3: They were all five years old.
Speaker 4: I don't think they did. I don't think they knew either. The water.
Speaker 7: They talked about some African Americans, you know, just got some bamboo in the backyard. I'm pretty sure they don't know that whole story.
Speaker 5: So the other headline of the press conference, So the Cowboys release has just come out.
Speaker 4: For the first game, okay, okay, yes, And.
Speaker 5: Included in the release is a depth chart, okay, and everybody got well not everybody, but some people got excited because they saw some things in the depth chart. I don't think they thought they were going to see.
Speaker 4: Well, don't tell me Michael Passon's position.
Speaker 5: No, no, guess again, running back, yes, okay, who's the first team running back?
Speaker 4: Elliot? Yeah, Okay, that.
Speaker 5: That surprised people. Why, That's what I'm asking.
Speaker 4: Question.
Speaker 5: You watch if you watch how they've been practicing. He he he was going majority of the time. He was the first one out, So no no shock or anything. Zike's the starting running back.
Speaker 3: And then so how was that question answered?
Speaker 5: He basically said he approved the depth chart. Uh huh, and that, uh, you know, on offense, it doesn't matter who starts because you're going to rotate so many different players in and out, and that, uh, it doesn't mean who's going to get the most snaps because they're not going to play sixty snaps in a game, right, so they're still using everybody else. You know, Rico, Dodd all have a role, Douce Vono have a role, Hunter Lepke could have a role. I could answer the question right now. The other one I got asked is that Mazzi Smith is listed as the starting nose tackle. Well, that's the way they've been playing.
Speaker 3: Lining up their every off season, pre season, training camp, everything it's fifty eight is out there.
Speaker 5: So first that was surprising. And then the way I treated the linebacker spot was that Eric Kendricks and Damon Clark were the starters, and then when they're using the third guy, it's a rotation between Leo File and Demarvian Overshown. Well, they've got Leo File listed as the starter on defense when there's three linebackers. Well that's the way they've been.
Speaker 3: Practiced, so especially since Clark's been out with an injury, and was out with an injury too, Leafl was getting first team reps alongside Kendricks for weeks.
Speaker 4: So so how big is Leofoul?
Speaker 5: He's bigger than you think. I'm going to guess six two two thirty maybe.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's my good you got it right here?
Speaker 3: I do, but I got it right here. That's I put so much work into this notebook show book. Six two two thirty four the combine. That's not the combine number right there? Six two thirty four.
Speaker 5: What do they have on this is six two two thirty four?
Speaker 3: Okay, and fluctuated, I said six two. And by the way, what was Eric Kendricks.
Speaker 5: At this point in his career? Yes, they've got him listed as six foot to thirty two.
Speaker 3: He is six foot and a quarter to thirty two.
Speaker 4: Where was that? What was that from?
Speaker 3: I believe it's from the combine because I got all that combine.
Speaker 4: I got combine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, he ran a four to six one with a one fifty seventy ten yard split. I write him all down in my notebook.
Speaker 4: He can't run the four six one anymore, is but.
Speaker 3: This is his starting point. And so when I'm comparing, we were talking about insanity.
Speaker 5: That's parry.
Speaker 4: When I'm comparing, you can't go back to combine.
Speaker 3: No, but but he's thirty one, thank you. No, I'm not saying that. I'm not saying that's what he is now. But when Mike Zimmer draps Marius Leophoul in the third round, I'm thinking, you know what, I think he sees some Merit Kendricks in Marius Leophoul. And so I went back and compared what they were at the combine, and Kendricks was six foot one quarter inch tall thirty two. Lea Foul was six two two thirty four, very similar size.
Speaker 4: Who Si, who were you saying the sign Leafhoul?
Speaker 3: No, no, I'm saying that. That's when when Mike Zimmer draps Maris Leafoul in the third round, I'm thinking, Okay, does he see Eric Kendricks in Leafoul? Okay, when he makes that pick, it was.
Speaker 4: Mike Zimmer there when Keatrix came out. Yes, okay, yes.
Speaker 5: I'm going to give you that so how much you got down here Lynnville Joseph.
Speaker 3: Okay, wait, wait, wait, there's more on this. Okay, the similarities coming out of college lea Foul and Kendricks.
Speaker 4: Okay, here we go.
Speaker 3: Okay, I gave you the height and weight, all right. Kendricks ran a four to six one with a one fifty seven split. Leafoul a four to sixty four with a one to fifty nine split, almost identical. Twenty two bench reps for Kendrick. Lea Foul had sixteen bench reps. Oh, we gotta get him in the weight room. Uh uh. Kendricks had a thirty eight.
Speaker 5: Vertical, which is pretty really good.
Speaker 3: He's really good. And I think, if I can read my writing, a thirty six vertical for Leophoul and Kendricks. Kendricks ten to four broad jump and Leophoul a nine foot and cone drill, okay, which is big for a linebacker. Seven fourteen for Kendricks, seven sixteen for Leophoul.
Speaker 4: So there you go.
Speaker 3: That's that's the method to my mates.
Speaker 4: He had to prove his point. Yeah, right, can we move on?
Speaker 3: I asked, when did you have Linnville Joseph down for poundage?
Speaker 5: And I'm sure he's got it somewhere.
Speaker 4: Yeah he was.
Speaker 3: No, Yeah, he was a late edition.
Speaker 5: Yeah, fifteen.
Speaker 4: You know what later.
Speaker 3: Okay, So on that depth Jart, Yes, on that depth chartsively, what stands out to you, because what stands out to me is that they on the depth chart, they put three starting linebackers.
Speaker 4: Yes, as opposed.
Speaker 3: To what you couldn't There weren't three linebackers on the team at the end of the year last year that were playing in games. Now you've got three starting linebackers listed on the depth.
Speaker 4: Chart, and neither one is Michael Parson's.
Speaker 5: No, he's at defensive end.
Speaker 3: He's a defensive vent and which doesn't mean he's not going to line up at linebacker.
Speaker 7: And I'm see this is where I don't agree with what's going on.
Speaker 5: That's why the depth chart is insignificant.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's right, that's right. But he approved it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Well, because I have something that they got to have something, right.
Speaker 7: I hope we're not hiding and just masking the same thing that we were doing last year.
Speaker 4: So that's that's all I want. I want. I want this defense.
Speaker 5: And there's twelve starters on there because they listed in Jeordian Lewis starting up.
Speaker 4: You have twelve starters. Just get out of here, man, what do we.
Speaker 5: Know when they go to Nickels?
Speaker 4: Well, what are we doing? What are we doing?
Speaker 8: There?
Speaker 3: Actually should be twelve starters on offense too. They should a third wide receiver. Yeah, in case you in case you start in eleven personnel. Wait, but play a second. But what oh they do have They do have three wide receivers.
Speaker 4: So they did.
Speaker 3: So they got Lamb, Tolburt and Cooks and so they're starting in eleven. They've tipped their hand. They're starting in eleven personnel.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, they have.
Speaker 5: Is there a full back list?
Speaker 3: There's not a full back listed as a starter. In fact, there's not a full back listed. Lipke is listed as the third team running running back, Deuce Von the fourth team running back.
Speaker 4: All that is propaganda. Uh huh, that's all it is. That's all it is.
Speaker 5: Yes, any other disputes on there, dispute the whole paper. I should have been here for the press conference.
Speaker 3: Looking at your depth chart. What is the most significant thing that has happened to this depth chart or slash roster? Uh? Since they reported to Oxnard, California. The most significant thing the most significant not maybe not necessarily just one thing, but what is the most significant things that have happened to the depth.
Speaker 5: Chartron Blands not on it.
Speaker 3: Okay, besides an injury.
Speaker 7: I was gonna say, if you're talking more than one thing, I was just thinking the one thing and starting center.
Speaker 3: Okay, that emerged. Yeah, okay, we thought that that was going to happen, but it did.
Speaker 4: We didn't know what. We didn't know when it was going to happen.
Speaker 5: Right by the way, after extensive research, thanks to the guys in p R, this is the first time since the merger of in nineteen seventy that the Cowboys have started two rookies on opening day on the offensive line. Tyler Geiton.
Speaker 3: Anderbe.
Speaker 5: No, it's the second time. Sorry, first time was twenty eleven. I'll give you Tyron Smith. If you can think of who the other rookie started.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, must have been an undrafted guy, Bill Nagy, Oh wow, at center, guard, at guard.
Speaker 5: And that was the first of his four game NFL.
Speaker 3: I think here's a seventh round pick.
Speaker 5: Maybe, yeah, he only played four games in the NFL.
Speaker 3: Was he from Wisconsin?
Speaker 4: To look, well, you've got to obviously didn't play well.
Speaker 5: So anyway, they have never other than that, and and this year they never I got to look from sixty to sixty nine, but they had never started two rookies on.
Speaker 4: The offensive line.
Speaker 5: And McCarthy made it sound like his first year in Green Bay, they started to rookie offensive lineman because he said they had no other choice.
Speaker 3: All Right, the most most significant things that I think have happened for this defense and maybe for maybe for the team too. And I'm looking at the when I look at this depth chart since the started training camp, all the moves they made.
Speaker 5: Oh, I thought you the starters in acquiring free agents free agents to providing quality veteran depth, especially on this defense, because because as training camp started, I was I was telling people, I don't see how they're going to do it twenty Well, if you're.
Speaker 3: Talking a twenty one game season, if you're winning a Super Bowl with a roster that they had coming into training camp and with injuries are going to happen. And they didn't make it out of training camp without two starters going down with injuries and defensively, and so I don't think it was just predicated on Sam Williams going down they were going to add veteran guys regardless of what they saw. They just had to wait and see where the true positions of need would be.
Speaker 7: I think they already knew the positions as well. And because the guys that they signed clearly that's made to stop up.
Speaker 3: And they knew that there was an inventory of free agent guys that were still out there where they didn't have to panic. There were enough of them back in the spring where they did not have to sign them back then, they could wait, see what they've got on their roster with young guys, see how they developed through the off season and on as training camp starts. And now we fill in the needs.
Speaker 4: And filled in the need with very veteran try no.
Speaker 5: Guys that didn't cost a lot, that's right, because they.
Speaker 7: Knew because of what we're talking about that they're going to be older veterans that you can bring in to help provide some leadership and some girth in the middle.
Speaker 3: But they knew that if you do that in March, it's going to cost that, right, and if you wait, and there was enough of them. The market was flooded enough with free agents to where these issus where you can't wait, and there's going to be enough guys out there where you bring four edge rushers in for one day when Sam Williams gets down, and now you pick two of them.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that you both thirty six, both thirty six, right, thirty six years old.
Speaker 3: No, Joseph is thirty Limville Joseph is the only one that he'll be thirty six.
Speaker 5: On thirty one. Okay, but that was a trade. But again they brought it same principle a bigger. So you got Phillips Joseph, and then.
Speaker 3: Even they even brought in Albert Huggins who didn't make the team, right, and then Lawson's on the practice and he's primed to get elevated.
Speaker 5: They've got one spot, well, no, they had to have one spot of Villa.
Speaker 4: They only got fifty.
Speaker 5: Two CBC commissioners right now, that would be fifty.
Speaker 3: And then also at linebacker the guys they brought in at linebacker too, with one of the guys that's we talked about the other day vigil on practice squad. And then they also brought in Darius Harris from who was with Kansas City for four years as another veteran guy. And so I thought it was as it, and then they they traded. They saw what they had in na Shan right, they didn't like what they saw in Nashon right, and so they traded eddo Minnesota and brought in Andrew Booth, a former second round draft pick who's a backup corner.
Speaker 5: Andrew Booth is interesting.
Speaker 7: Talk to him, What's what's going on with him?
Speaker 5: One of the players, I can't remember who was saying it. He was walking by and he goes, oh, here comes movie star boots. Like huh, he goes. I keep saying you and you look like some movie star and just the way you look right, and I kind of looked and I kind of he said, no, no, boo Booth follow along. No, wonder you fluck that gambling test?
Speaker 4: Who he.
Speaker 3: Fucked a gambling test?
Speaker 9: They said that this this wait, hold on a second. We got to hear this, didn't you get when mixed That's why I'm sitting here right now and I am too. Yeah, and I've passed it with flying color.
Speaker 5: He's got like three four days left to finish it.
Speaker 3: Oh, we got to hear this story when mix shots continues.
Speaker 1: At the moment, Miller Lite is brewed with great taste and only great tape.
Speaker 5: The Miller Brewing Company would like to issue a correction.
Speaker 2: Miller it is brewed to be less filling. What are you doing here? Miller Lite tastes great. Look, I'm just reading the script. It says less filling. That's not what my script says.
Speaker 5: Hell mindset.
Speaker 10: We'd like to apologize for the previous announcers Nerolidas in fact less filling and taste great. I'm me Shine, legal guy, Celebrate responsibily. Milwaukee, Wisconsin Beer ninety six thousand, three point two grams cars for twelve ounces, fewer cowsand cars than premium regular beer.
Speaker 3: Fall is here, and that means football is back, bringing all the delicious game day foods with it. As you prep for all the big games, tailgates and watch parties. Let Yo Kiero be your one stop destination for all things homegating. Yo Kierroo's fresh, flavorful, ready to serve guacamoli made with real hass avocados will score taste bud touchdowns as you cheer on the Cowboys. Yo Kierro's wide range of mouth watering and versatile products can be found in your local grocery stores. Produce or Deli Section grab some today.
Speaker 11: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individual wills have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 12: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: And they snapped the presscout who looks right, it's not there. He escapes left.
Speaker 2: He'll want full a perch down.
Speaker 12: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With Blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 3: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 12: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered. What are you waiting for get started at blockchain dot com to mixed shots.
Speaker 7: Rally Days presented by seat Geek, give NFL fans an experience of a lifetime the day prior to Dallas Cowboys home games on September fourteenth, and enjoy activities at Miller Lighthouse, get behind the scenes tour of at and.
Speaker 4: T Stadium and more.
Speaker 7: Visit at and T Stadium dot com Slash Rally Days for more information and get your tickets today.
Speaker 4: There is no punctuation at all?
Speaker 7: Can I at periods somewhere they give me a comma thank you? And come on, man, I'm gonna say I'm gonna start prefrooding this stuff. Go ahead, I need to edit there.
Speaker 5: The back to my editing days. That's how I read the newspaper now as I'm reading.
Speaker 3: As we go along through the show, there are trivia questions that pop their heads and do the show every now and then, and Mickey brought up the uh last time the only time since nineteen seventy was it that the Secondwboys the second but the only other time, the only other time that the Cowboys have started two rookies and a season opener in the offensive line was in twenty eleven. Of course the first round draft pick Tyron Smith, and sure enough Bill Naggie was a seventh round draft pick. Okay out of Wisconsin. Very good, Bill, that's the big Green notebook for you.
Speaker 5: But he's not holding it scot Wisconsin turned.
Speaker 3: That's why I remember Wisconsin.
Speaker 4: Is because of the big Green notebook.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, Now where did we leave off to this gambling issue?
Speaker 7: Yes, first of all, let me tell the public, I am not a gambler. I'll go to Vegas a lot for the shows that don't go for the gambling.
Speaker 4: But they said out the game.
Speaker 9: Training gambling training, and we all have as employees.
Speaker 7: We have to sign this and make sure we're not gambling on games and things of that nature, which is kind of the critical when you got draft kings, it is all over the damn place, all right, stopped right there?
Speaker 4: Anyway?
Speaker 3: Uh So I passed mine with flying You should.
Speaker 4: Have because you probably had it on the proper format.
Speaker 7: I did it on my phone, and I didn't realize that when the question was asked that there were more options. If I scrolled down.
Speaker 5: You just looked at the first one.
Speaker 4: It gave me yes or no. It was what I saw.
Speaker 7: I didn't know I could scroll And I'm like, I know this is it's a trick question.
Speaker 4: It must be. So I hit A A and then B A A and then B. Yeah.
Speaker 7: So but no, I they I merely should have scrolled up and saw that there were other options, right all.
Speaker 5: The No, anyway you get I did that?
Speaker 3: What flunked it twice?
Speaker 4: You flunked?
Speaker 7: I didn't know you have to scroll up. The format on the phone is horrible.
Speaker 4: They need to do better.
Speaker 7: If it's gonna be on the phone and on your computer, it needs to show up better on the phone because it only showed giving me two options, which.
Speaker 4: Was A or B.
Speaker 7: But there were something under that on two questions. So that's the only reason.
Speaker 5: You got it.
Speaker 4: And I go back and I look at oh, shoot that's down there.
Speaker 5: Thank you for doing that too.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, So so you.
Speaker 5: Got to take it a third time.
Speaker 7: Second time you got to take No, I did I flunk two questions? Two questions that.
Speaker 4: That had more exactly right? I said, you know, we do this later. So that's it. That's just that simple mind.
Speaker 5: A roommate had in college. He he couldn't pass the accounting course and he needed to pass the accounting course to graduate.
Speaker 4: I'll graduate in the accounting and I hate the cant And.
Speaker 5: He flunked it twice, right, and so he had taken a third time and he and he still didn't get it. And he got to the final and the professor says, hey, just pass it with a D. Pass it with a D, and I'll pass you.
Speaker 7: Right, he got a D like me and geometry.
Speaker 4: That's crazy anyway.
Speaker 5: All right, So we got that issue taking care of.
Speaker 4: Okay, So.
Speaker 3: Points of interest? What are we what are we looking at on your legal pad?
Speaker 9: There?
Speaker 3: That is wow?
Speaker 5: Well, this this is the press preseason, all right. I checked the press conference to see if there was anything else there that was important, Bill, Why.
Speaker 4: Want you there?
Speaker 3: I was driving here. Oh I didn't have to be there. I was expecting to be able to listen to it as I drove in, and I couldn't find it, and so needing Mickey to fix there's.
Speaker 5: One of the things.
Speaker 4: That sounds like a mistake.
Speaker 5: That was his first mistake.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: Everybody seems to be worried about the Cowboys taking care of a Miles Garrett, like he's going to line up every play in front of Tyrant Tire, Tyler Gitton Right. Has anybody considered the fact that if I'm the coach, there's going to be a tight end there and maybe two tight ends, right, I'm not going to leave him out there, sixty snaps one on one with Miles Garrett right, right. But then nobody asks what do you think Cleveland's gonna do with Michael Parsons because they got the same problem at left tackle. Right. We talked about it yesterday, having to move the right tackle, the left tackle who hasn't played left tackle since his first two years in the NFL and only sixty seven snaps at that Jack Cottlan okay. And the next guy up was the guy somebody Hudson the third right, That was their other.
Speaker 3: True James Hudson the third to somebody my yes, two of my grandsons.
Speaker 5: We talked about it yesterday, Jane, But no, no one seems, no one seems to ask the question, well, what do you think Michael Parsons hollow Cleveland's gonna handle Michael Parsons And what are you gonna do with Michael Parsons to get him clean?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 5: But yeah, everybody's you know, Miles Garrett against Geydon, he's gonna have help.
Speaker 4: Don't you think do they move Miles around?
Speaker 5: H well, then it's against Steele.
Speaker 4: I was just asking do they move him?
Speaker 5: Do they that part?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I was just figuring they're gonna look and oh there's the rookie that he's lining up on the right side.
Speaker 4: Well, I recall. That's just how good Miles Garrett is.
Speaker 7: I mean, he's sometimes he's just freestyling out there. I saw him one played. It was an obvious passing down. He lined up over For some reason, I thought it was the guard. I'm probably wrong. He probably lined up over the top. But he was up on two feet on two legs. He wasn't down in the stands. And he's acting as if he's dribbling a basketball, and it's like he's going to put a crossover move on the off.
Speaker 4: Did you see that?
Speaker 3: I know what you're talking about.
Speaker 4: I did see that correctly. That's pretty cocky. I mean, he knew he was going to beat the guy.
Speaker 7: He's clowning the guys if he's gonna like he's like Luca, right, I'm going to cross this guy up with my past moves.
Speaker 4: But he acts like he's got a basketball in his hand.
Speaker 7: He acts like he's dribbling it back and forth, coming down the cort or whatever. And of course he shook the guy down and he got to the quarterback. So you're looking at a pretty cocky, confident right, very good leader on this this Cleveland defense. That that's why they're playing as well as they play. They play off over him, just like we play off with Michael Pass. He's a hell of a player, you know.
Speaker 5: I'm not doubting that. That's why I said two tight.
Speaker 4: Ends, not one.
Speaker 3: Miles Garrett in high school had one game where I believe the number was either eight or eleven. I'll go with eleven. Eleven sacks in.
Speaker 4: One game, eighth. Great.
Speaker 3: Yeah. This matchup, though, reminds me of the old Rayfield Right story. Yes, and this goes back to the nineteen sixty nine season.
Speaker 5: I told it to Zach Martin day. We were talking about your memories of your first start as a rookie, right, And then I said, well, you heard the Rayfield right.
Speaker 3: Story, but Grayfield and Rayfield told this story many times, thousands of times probably, And when he made his debut and I looked up the details on it, just now as I was thinking about that, when I couldn't have listened to Mike McCarthy's press conference drive it in. I was thinking, Okay, this reminds me a Rayfield right versus Deacon Jones. And it was midway of the nineteen sixty nine.
Speaker 4: So I was going to say, Deacon Jones gonna. I haven't heard this story.
Speaker 3: So Ralph Neely went down with an injury, and Rayfield at that time, you know, Rayfield came into the league out of Fort Valley State.
Speaker 4: As a tight end.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as a tight end, and then he played a little bit on the defensive line as well. They didn't weren't sure where he was going to wind up eventually, so it was like this was now his third year in the league and he's a backup to Ralph Neely at tackle. So he gets the start and Dallas was eight and one at the time, the Rams were nine and oh. They're playing out in LA Hall of Famer Deacon Jones at left defensive end and Rayfield's at right tackle. Rayfield said, we go to the line of scrimmage and I'm looking at Deacon Jones square in his eyes. His eyes seemed to be red as fire.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: As an aside, I remember interviewing Deacon Jones about fifteen years later, and it was a Miller Lite commercial tour and his eyes were readyspire. Then too.
Speaker 5: His voice, his voice is about ten actives.
Speaker 4: Oh so Rayfield goes on.
Speaker 3: He says, he's kicking his back leg like a bull. I'm saying to myself, my god, what have I got myself into. Before the ball was snapped, Jones bellowed, boy, does your mama know you're out here? Stunned by the comment, Right was unprepared for the infamous Jones headsap that sent him reeling backward. Jones reached out his big arm down and said, hey, rookie, welcome to the NFL. I said, well, mister Jones, you don't know my mama, so don't talk about her. You want to play the game, this way, we'll.
Speaker 4: Play it, and there you go.
Speaker 3: They went nose to nose the rest of the afternoon, playing so well he received a game ball from the team, despite the Cowboys losing the game twenty four to twenty three.
Speaker 4: That's good.
Speaker 5: But then they met up again like a second time, and I can't remember if it was a playoff, what year did did you had seven? That was sixty nine sixty nine or they met again and he kind of got him and he and he basically said, my mama knows where and so he used that in his Hall of Fame acceptance speech when he told the story. And he's like, Deacon and I don't know if he was on the stage, probably or not, and he goes, my mama knows, I'm standing here right now.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I heard Deacon speak at the Black College Hall of Fame. We had the all time one hundred team and I was blessed enough to make it with Deacon Jones. And that was in Baltimore, Maryland, sometime around two thousands. Pretty it was a heck of an I mean it was Black College Hall of Famous. So they were basically a bunch of them, you know, because those are the older guys that back in the day with the Kanasty Chiefs. You had Buchanan and all those guys. But Deacon Jones was the keynote.
Speaker 3: And Deacon by the way, who passed away in twenty thirteen, Deacon he started he started his college career at South Carolina State. Then he got in the transfer portal and went to Mississippi Valley stately moved way up. He went to Valley and there was he was a fourteenth round draft pick in nineteen sixties.
Speaker 7: Well, South Carolina State is up, the Mississippi Valley is not.
Speaker 4: But they kind of flipped yeah later, yeah, later on.
Speaker 7: That's because of Jerry Rice only yeah right, that's only because of Jerry Rice.
Speaker 5: So what was the first start you made as a rookie?
Speaker 10: Uh?
Speaker 4: I think it was Saint Louis.
Speaker 5: How how far into the season, like five games, so you had played a little or none.
Speaker 4: I was leading the league and interceptions for the bits spects. You want to talk about that, let's talk about that, son, get pissed.
Speaker 5: Off before before you started, I.
Speaker 4: Was leading the league and interceptions before I see.
Speaker 3: He had eleven interceptions in his rookie five before I started.
Speaker 5: And then Tom decided this guy might be able to maybe he could play.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, it's because I didn't go to Rice. I wasn't Michael Downs who came in and just blew training camp away.
Speaker 5: Because he was smart. He went was more than he was.
Speaker 4: Good, don't.
Speaker 7: I don't know what happened at Rice, but when he came out there to practice, well everyone knew that's gonna be one.
Speaker 4: Of the pos.
Speaker 3: Okay, So to just to echo what Everson is saying here, Everson had four interceptions his first four games of his rookie season, and then game five was at a loss. Yeah, so there you go.
Speaker 4: And I mean because I think we lost the game, yes.
Speaker 3: Twenty to seventeen.
Speaker 5: So your start wasn't shocking to you as a rookie because you.
Speaker 9: Had disappointing disappointing Why am I already college free?
Speaker 7: Already that's gotten too interceptions on Monday Night football against the Patriots and I'm like, what else do I have to do?
Speaker 3: Well, they wait and made you wait another game because the Giants, and you got another interception the Giant give me bro.
Speaker 7: I was so frustrated, so frustrated, but I still ended up making my bonuses.
Speaker 3: Think about how many snaps were you getting in those games before you became the starter?
Speaker 4: Just third downs? Wow, I just came in. I was I was Jordan Lewis.
Speaker 5: I wonder if they it really was just on third down?
Speaker 4: It was just on third downs. Yeah. It wasn't like no we like today like last year. I was not that guy.
Speaker 3: All right, We continue with more mix shots in a moment crazy.
Speaker 11: The Medal of is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 1: Miller Lite is brewed with great taste and only great tape.
Speaker 5: The Miller Brewing Company would like to issue a correction.
Speaker 2: Miller Lite is brewed to be less filling.
Speaker 3: What are you doing here?
Speaker 2: Miller Lite tastes great.
Speaker 4: Look, I'm just.
Speaker 2: Reading the script.
Speaker 5: It is less filling.
Speaker 2: That's not what my script says.
Speaker 5: Hell mindset.
Speaker 10: We'd like to apologize for the previous announcers. Miller Light is in fact less filling and taste great. I'm Mishine legal guy.
Speaker 2: Celebrate responsibly.
Speaker 10: Milwaukee, Wisconsin Beer ninety six thousands, three point two grams covers for twelve bounces. Fewer cowsand cars than premium regular beer.
Speaker 3: Fall is here and that means what ball is back, bringing all the delicious game day foods with it As you prep for all the big games, tailgates and watch parties. Lay Yo Kiero be your one stop destination for all things homegating. Yo Kierro's fresh, flavorful, ready to serve GUACAMOLEI made with real hass avocados will score taste bud touchdowns as you cheer on the Cowboys. Yo ki Hero's wide range of mouthwatering and versatile products can be found in your local grocery stores produce or deli section. Grab some today.
Speaker 12: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they snapper the.
Speaker 3: Press scout who looks right, it's not there.
Speaker 2: He escapes left. He'll run for a first down.
Speaker 4: Just like football.
Speaker 12: When it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands, says twenty eleven. They've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 3: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 12: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader. They've got you covered. What are you waiting for?
Speaker 4: Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 2: Mixed shots.
Speaker 7: Come shop at the Star in Frisco on Saturday, September twenty eighth, from ten am to four pm at Flea Styles Market at the Start, presented by Makerplace by Michael's, featuring fifty plus local makers offering art, fashion, home, their cores, jewelry and kids items. Market at the Star is always a favorite. Admission is free. Visit the Star District dot com for more info.
Speaker 5: Did you have periods any periods in there?
Speaker 4: I just assumed. I just assumed.
Speaker 3: Oh man, all right, So Mayan, Frisco, walking by right, drive by loyal listeners. One loyal listener.
Speaker 5: I was going to I was going to bring this up. Uh, maybe we'd do it tomorrow. Okay, But so Deshaun Watson at quarterback for Cleveland, and I'm going how much has he played recently? So it was six games in each of the two last seasons. Yep, so twelve games. Is there any worry about him in Cleveland?
Speaker 4: Should Oh? I would imagine. I thought they were worried last year six games?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I thought they were because he did not end up well last year at all.
Speaker 5: So the last two seasons, well, I guess we got a few minutes here. Fourteen touchdown passes, nine interceptions, He averaged six point five yards in attempt. Eight is good, seven is average. Anything above eight is really good. Yeah, six point five. And his quarterback ratings were seventy nine point one and eighty four point three. Who's their backup, by the.
Speaker 4: Way, fifteen Jameis Winston. Well, yeah, now it's James.
Speaker 3: But last year, yeah, but now it's well, you had Joe Flacco and then you also had Dorian Thompson Robinson who got three starts last year.
Speaker 7: It's not just the bad percentage passing. It's he had fumbles as well. He fumbled several times last year in big games.
Speaker 3: He's not he had he had five fumbles in six games, which is not.
Speaker 4: What you're looking for. That is not last year.
Speaker 7: Clearly, all of that stuff that the legal problems he was having and the time that he missed it clearly affected how he played. And you're talking about the guy who's one of the better competitors at quarterback three years ago he would probably see on the field.
Speaker 3: And it was twenty twenty was his last year in Houston, where he passed for four eight hundred and twenty three yards, which led the league that year. Of course, it was a four and twelve season for Houston, so they were throwing the ball a lot, playing catch up, and that was Covid, right, and.
Speaker 7: He was and he he was one of those guys. He was never, never quit guy. Yeah, and that's he's still that guy. But he leads to more turnovers now for him, especially because he missed so much time because of his legal issues.
Speaker 3: Okay, and he was, go ahead, here's another thing. Last year, six starts seventeen sacks, okay, and in fact that's basically a rate of over a seventeen game season, that would be around fifty sacks or a little less forty five sacks.
Speaker 4: Probably he was knock on the same page with all right.
Speaker 3: And then the previous season six starts twenty sacks, which that's even more sacks.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 3: He led the league his second year in the league with Houston, which was a Pro Bowl season for him, and they went eleven in five that year. He was sacked sixty two times that season, so he.
Speaker 7: Kept going, he kept going, so he was one of those no quit guys.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 7: If I guess he's starting, he's not going to quit on you, but as he takes a lot of punishment, and you hope as a defense that he doesn't quit because he's committing the turnovers for you at this point in his career.
Speaker 5: And they've got to start a backup running back.
Speaker 4: Oh wow.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I don't know what kind of pickup he's having as far as the Blitz is concerned. I mean, he needs all the help he can get. But one guy that is not hurting for stats, and that is still a Mari Cooper. I don't care who the damn quarterback is. This man is amazing and we made we're talking about Miles Garrett. We better make sure Cooper doesn't get off on us.
Speaker 5: So your thoughts on Diggs taking him on.
Speaker 4: One on one based on how these kids are these days.
Speaker 7: Not knowing just finding out about this wrap up thing with the surgery and all of that. I don't know why I wasn't in tune to it when I played. But he's gonna have some problems.
Speaker 5: I mean, is that a big ask?
Speaker 4: A big to do that? That's a big ask for Diggs?
Speaker 7: Uh, they will probably take a chance and say, well, we're gonna show them they can't they can't run on us because they have a backup running back.
Speaker 4: I'm sure that's gonna be our philosophy.
Speaker 7: And we will probably uh round up into double teaming him in strategic situations, giving dig some help over the.
Speaker 5: Top, and then or giving Carson help if he's going, if he's if he's not one on one man?
Speaker 7: Can can we please get an interruption here?
Speaker 4: We got Stephen.
Speaker 3: Wants to say hello to I'm coming.
Speaker 4: Here with that cute dogs stuff man, dog stuff?
Speaker 8: How you doing?
Speaker 4: When he had his first show on ESPN, he blew it man, Me and him had it going. I was gonna be his guy. He blew it blow. I did blow and lord man, I miss you man, how you been? I'm good man.
Speaker 7: I was always there to keep you from going off the rails, off the rails. You're further off the rails there, rails you've taken off.
Speaker 4: Brother.
Speaker 13: I'm trying to I'm trying to do all right, and I'm walking around and I'm just.
Speaker 8: Seeing all my boys that have been cowboys, and I'm.
Speaker 7: Like, it's and you know, we don't want you here. Man, man, you we like you, but we love to hate you.
Speaker 4: Listen, listen.
Speaker 8: I have no issue with with cowboys. I have no issue with cowboys broadcasters. It's just them damn things.
Speaker 5: Did you guys hear that?
Speaker 8: Did you hear?
Speaker 12: Not?
Speaker 13: Even the cowboy fans in Dallas that makes sense, But it's when you see them all over the country, it's like, what you're jeal ridiculous.
Speaker 3: It's ridiculous.
Speaker 5: One of those guys in Washington, d C.
Speaker 4: That done like and this is the guy he likes Pittsburgh. Come on, you like Pittsburgh.
Speaker 8: Pittsburgh Steelers fan. I've always been a Pittsburgh Steels fan. But I love you guys too.
Speaker 4: Some of y'all.
Speaker 8: Do sometimes, man, Sometimes, man, sometimes.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine Everson? Can you imagine you? And Michael Irvin with Stephen A.
Speaker 4: Smith. I don't know.
Speaker 8: If I get a chance to know, he bullied.
Speaker 7: They were talking about how I dress and Michael Irvan is get up out of his seat.
Speaker 4: Don't tell coffin place. Yeah, crazy, I'm getting.
Speaker 8: Rid of that right now. I told him I'm walking down the hallway. I said, this picture of Michael Irving is a lie.
Speaker 7: That's not Okay, tell the true Truth'll.
Speaker 3: Take care there you go, all right, very very special.
Speaker 4: Dying yourself. Man, go great all the way. Man, come on, man, come on.
Speaker 3: That's a good way to close out there.
Speaker 4: Well, pretty good.
Speaker 5: Extra five minutes there.
Speaker 4: It was worth it.
Speaker 3: It was worth Okay, let's tweet that out.
Speaker 5: Yes, let it go viral.
Speaker 4: But let's do it.
Speaker 3: All right, So let's do it again tomorrow at high noon.
Speaker 5: All right, you're gonna be ready Thursday, Thursday, Yeah right, baby.
Speaker 3: Okay, first first NFL games tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Night, can yeah right, that's right.
Speaker 7: We're gonna preview though, So we're gonna previous.
Speaker 5: And Friday Friday in Brazil, Brazil, Philadelphia and green O the players that the players are afraid to go out of the out of the hotel.
Speaker 4: Rooms in Brazil. Sure, they think they're gonna get kidnapped.
Speaker 7: What's the tough guy for the forty nine? Is the big wide receiver? What's his name?
Speaker 4: Come on?
Speaker 7: The big Deebo said he's not going out of his room. Deebo said he's not going out of.
Speaker 4: His man debo.
Speaker 5: I had somebody in the NBA that had to go there for games.
Speaker 8: And Stephen, they thought you were frozen gone.
Speaker 4: He wasn't gonna come here till he saw Stephen. They come here. I see you all love season. I love you too, man, everybody. She's good, She's good.
Speaker 3: All right. That does it for Wednesday edition of Mixed Shots. We'll talk at you again tomorrow at noon.
Speaker 4: Calif No Cowboys, Stephen A.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.