Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news. This is Bloomberg business Weekdaily reporting from the magazine that helps global leaders stay ahead with insight on the people, companies, and trends shaping today's complex economy, plus global business finance and tech news as it happens. The Bloomberg Business Week Daily Podcast with Carol Masser and Tim Stenebek on Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: It shares a SpaceX kind of bouncing around, but muted in the after hours, barely up by about half a percent right now. The company out with its first report as a publicly traded company. Revenue exceeded Wall Streets expectations, reported seven point eight billion dollars the company reporter and operating loss though of one point twenty six billion dollars from its AI business. That's better than the consensus expectation. Shares a plunge since that IPO raising more than a trillion dollars in market value from their peak. I think we'll hear a lot more on the coll when it starts a little later.
Speaker 3: One can certainly hope. All right, let's get to it with our team. We've got a great team to kind of go through the numbers and the results, and we're going to continue to kind of track as we get into the call. Man Deep Seeing is with us right here in studio in our Bloomberg Interactive Broker studio is Bloomberg Intelligence, Global head of Technology Research. And out there in our San Francisco news bureaus, of course, our own ed Ludlow host, a Bloomberg Tech ed. Let me just kick it off with you. What jumps out here? I know you're also on the live blog, but you know, investors just kind of reading through right now. The stock is down just about one percent here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean overall revenue and sales came in above consensus. But you go into this saying this was the first quarterly earnings for SpaceX since they became a public company, and it will be their first earning school and there was a lot of acceptance that the consensus numbers out there. There was a bit of skepticism, right, they're a bit squishy because we don't have a whole lot of contemporaneous data. But it's really interesting. You know that the status quo is still that starlink is the is the driver on the top line and also sort of the cash cow. But they really improve the economics of this business in the quarter of Yes, it's a rocket company, but renting compute capacity to other technology companies, you know that has proved to be a strong business for them. There's a lot of discussion in that in what's a very limited earnings release.
Speaker 5: Many I've I want to bring you in here.
Speaker 2: If you were to look at the three different segments through reportable segments, ED mentioned the cash cow and in terms of where the revenue is still coming from in terms of growth, in your view, which segment is the most important.
Speaker 6: I mean, they reported a backlog number of forty seven point five billion.
Speaker 7: That tells you most of the backlog.
Speaker 6: Is likely coming from AI and what is not captured in this print is the Entropic and Google deals.
Speaker 5: Said, Okay, that's what I was going to ask you.
Speaker 2: When you say a backlog that means companies like Anthropic and Google coming to XAI part of space X and renting compute.
Speaker 6: That's right, yes, and in fact we know some of the deal terms. Entropic will be paying SpaceX about one point two five billion dollars a month, so next quarter when they report, there will be at least three point seventy five billion dollars from Entropic and another probably two billion plus from Google. When they report so six billion bump just from these two deals.
Speaker 3: S x quarter, that sounds pretty impressive.
Speaker 5: I think.
Speaker 6: So that's why the backlog number is very important because in that forty seven billion dollars is that Entropic deal and the Google deal and there's one more company, I think, Reflection.
Speaker 2: And what can XAI offer these firms that Mandeep mentioned that like a Google Cloud, a Microsoft Azure and AWS or even a Neocloud can.
Speaker 4: Offer space that they're not currently using.
Speaker 5: So it is it's a commodity little bit.
Speaker 4: So like in Tennessee, Xai now space Xai set up a number of data centers in very quick order, Colossus one, Colossus two, and Colossus three. And what was explained to me in great detail by sources is that once they had built all of them, they were like, okay, how do we use this ourselves? And they realized that in Colossus one, which is a big tin Can data center, they had multiple generations of Nvidia GPUs all mixed together. Some were Hopper generation, some were black Wells, some were even as old as the A one hundred generation, and so they decided the best use of that capacity was to rent it out with attractive economics for those renting it at a premium. Many would say, I think, Mandy, it's been over that really well in the past, and for them, like they run it really operationally efficiently, it can be a high margin business. But it was all born out of the fact that for their own models and running them, not just training later generation models, they couldn't work out how to use that capacity for themselves to best effect.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean the worries that we've had man deep about this company and feeling like we didn't know some things. Should investors, I know, we never give investment advice, but feel all right, we're getting more information about the business that we can kind of figure out and cross with kind of where this company's going. The valuation. It means the valuation is still a little crazy, right.
Speaker 5: It is crazy.
Speaker 6: But what I think may work in their favor is this is a company that will likely have accelerating top line growth at least for the next three or four quarters with margin improvement, and that is a type of story that investors typically like, I mean, we just saw what Palanteer did today, you know, with their quarter partly because of that accelerating top line growth, and there is no doubt in my mind, given that forty seven point five billion dollar backlog number, SpaceX will have accelerating top line growth at least for the next three quarters.
Speaker 2: We're speaking with Man deep saying our Bloomberg Intelligence global head of Technology Research. Also with us Ed Ludlow out there in San Francisco. He's the host of Bloomberg Tech. I want to remind everybody if you have questions about SpaceX's earnings, the company's report, send us a question Bloomberg dot com slash ask Radio. That's Bloomberg dot com slash Ask Radio. It's only for Bloomberg dot com subscribers. You can submit questions for us or for any of our guests this afternoon.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm just looking at you know, you pull up SpaceX, do the ticker. Do you know CNBN SpaceX's business growing across all three segments. SpaceX exceeds revenue estimates in the first quarter, first earning since IPO. You know, SpaceX's first earnings offer a chance to reverse the stocks plunge that was earlier in the day. Top of mind you and come on back in because I'm just thinking how much of what we we didn't know? So this is kind of our first real picture of a lot of what the business is about. There are speculations, certainly coming off the IPO, and there is numbers, and there were estimates, but how much of this is like, oh, okay, so this is the business at least now?
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So what you can do is you can compare with the backward looking data we have from the IPO perspectus, the S one and the amended versions of it, just the two Aikey points, because I think it's really interesting to get Mandiv's take on this is AI is probably inflecting a little bit faster than the street expected. So the AI revenues are two point five six billion dollars, right, compare that to the first quarter, which is data we got in the perspectives about eight hundred million, So it's quite a jump sequentially quartered a quarter. And then on an adjusted ebit DAR basis, which you know, let man deep into this one because I know how the street feels on adjusted ebit DAR, but AI adjusted ebit dar did term positive AI specifically, and so like right now, with the knowledge that all of these other business lines are futuristic orbital data center, the space economy, and enterprise AI. What they have I've done is move pretty quickly on the arm structure business, and you know, Mandy's outlined the deals that they did to get there.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's just reset here a little bit, because we're seeing shares of SpaceX down about six and a half percent after the company reported results. Starlink growth continues to be a revenue driver, shares are slumping those investors digest this, Mandy, what's the sort of I don't know, from a guidance perspective, the expectations about what we'll hear on the call that's different from what's in the press release. Again, first time we've had a call for this company, so we can kind of only go with what Tesla has done in the past. But what do we expect in terms of guidance.
Speaker 6: I mean, when I look at this Starlink number, to me, that's slightly misconsensus in terms of number of subscribers. And given we talk about how that's the cash cow that's funding you know, the other businesses, that is probably the number one question that I feel they're going to get on the earnings call, but along with that backlog, which I think will help them in the quarters upcoming quarters. But clearly that Starlink business was slightly below consensus.
Speaker 2: I mentioned that we have Bloomberg dot com slash Ask Radio as a way for our subscribers to get in touch with us and ask questions not just to us, but to Ed and Mandeep in all of our guests SpaceX's a question about SpaceX coming in right now, guys. Sanjay out in Irvine, California writes that the fact that SpaceX's valuation is already high, does that make today's earnings more or less in line with the high expectations. I want to send that one over to Mandeep. First valuations question. We talked with Max Chafkin earlier about the so called Elon premium and the idea that Tesla is valued more than any other carmaker despite the fact that, you know, in terms of revenue, it doesn't even crack.
Speaker 5: The top ten.
Speaker 2: Valuation question about SpaceX, what do you make of it?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean at one point five trillion, you know, for a company of SpaceX size, there is a lot embedded in that number in terms of you know, growth, expectations and how investors see margins improving. So that's why, you know, even though I feel like they will do very well over the next three quarters in terms of top line driven by AI, but at this valuation, and you know, it hypeered at even a higher valuation. So it's always hard to keep up with the expectations, and unless you come out and show positive surprises the way Nvidia has done that constant consistently, I think it will be hard for SpaceX just to kind of keep this multiple. So they really have to grow into that multiple, which I think they should be able to given the backlog number we are seeing. I mean, all the cloud companies had backlogs of four hundred billion dollars plus you know when they reported, and they had an excellent quarter, all of them, you know, Google, Amma, On, and Microsoft. So from that perspective, SpaceX reporting a forty seven point five billion dollar back long. If they keep growing that I think will be positive for that SpaceX story.
Speaker 3: I also want to mention we're getting some additional headline SpaceX second quarter AI segment capex a fifteen point eighty three billion versus an estimate on the street of thirteen point zero nine billion. I know ed you were on a live blog like looking for more insight when it comes to Capex.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, I think they have positioned this in the CFO commentary about having a really strong liquidity position. Right, they have the proceeds of the IPO and then they immediately went to the corporate debt market and so they have one hundred billion dollars to play with. But you again can go back to the prospectus on how capital expenditures were tracking in the first half of this year. The consensus number, again there's a note of caution on all the consensus numbers because this is their first ever quarterly earnings as a public company. The expectation was they spend about forty five forty six billion dollars this year. A lot of that's still to come right this, you know, it's it's it's really key information because across those nascent business lines starships as a launch system, orbital data center, and then the business of like actually selling AIS the software at scale, it's still going to take a lot of spending.
Speaker 2: And is this is this report, are we getting the information? It's sort of an inside baseball question, but is the information coming at a cadence that's on par with what we get from Tesla.
Speaker 4: No, so this I find this really interesting. So, you know, Tesla presents a pretty detailed shareholder deck each quarter, and it is multiple pages long. It has a lot of information, for example, the headwinds and tailwinds to the top and bottom line, the macro impacts, they felt, any political impacts, their sort of forward looking strategy as it relates to software in different markets, et cetera. This is a very modest release where there's zero commentary from Elon mask who's the CEO of SpaceX. There's zero commentary from Gwyn Shotwell, who's the president in COO and de facto runs the company, just the CFO commentary from Brett Johnson. And it's you know, it's very modest, so there's a lot still to learn. You know, there's not the same level of detail. There are fair questions like will Elon Musk be on the earnings call? You know, we just we have no definitive answer in that one assumes, so what kind of role did Gwyn Shotwell and Brett Johnson play on the earning scoore are like, are they the stars of the show or is it like Tesla, where Elon's still the star of the show. We just don't know, and that's kind of fun.
Speaker 3: So do we have an idea man deep of how much cash they're burning through?
Speaker 6: I mean, they are investing fifteen billion plus in capex every quarter and they're not generating any free cash flow as of now. I mean, the startling business is the only one that seems to be generating free cash flow and that seems to have misconsensus. So from that perspective, I mean, they have this challenge in terms of meeting expectations around free cash flow, unlike the hyperscalers that clearly have strong balance sheets to invest in capex. So from that perspective, I feel there is a ceiling to how much higher they can go in terms of capex increases. I do think they will raise the capex, but even at sixty billion dollars rund rate, how high can they go given they don't have the balance sheet and the free cash flow that the other hyperscalers.
Speaker 3: Have ed Come on in, you have a.
Speaker 4: Question, Yeah, so I have a question with I rely on Mandeep's expertise and he's modeling. So in the first half of the year, SpaceX about three point five billion dollars operating cash flow, but the capital expenditures for the first half of the year were like twenty nine billion dollars. So you just do the operating cash flow minus the capex and that gives you a sort of an approximation on the negative free cash flow right overall? Am I doing the math right on that?
Speaker 5: That's right? Yeah?
Speaker 4: So I see again, like this is me doing math in my head and phone my high school teachers. It weren't my strong point, but I see, let's say, let's say twenty five billion dollars of negative free cash flow and aggregate across those businesses in the first half.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Look, I think what you will see is the cloud rental business is going to be a lot better margins. So that's the part that you know when you do the first half calculations and analyze it, you you're expecting, maybe you know there will be negative fifty billion dollars for the full year, But my guess is that cloud rental business is going to be positive in terms of the margin profile. Now, it's not going to be as high as a hyperscalers. So Hyperscalers as we have seen this quarter, they have mid thirty percent margins when it comes to their cloud businesses. In the case of SpaceX, even in a best case scenario, that AI segment would have you know, low to mid teens margins, but at least it's positive. So from that perspective, if you see AI business at the end of the year around a twenty five billion dollar run rate with low to mid teens margins, then it will offset some of that negative twenty five billion dollar you know, burned that you've seen for the first half. And that's where I think there's a good story to tell in terms of margin improvement driven by that cloud rental business.
Speaker 2: Stay with us more from Bloomberg Business Week Daily coming up after this.
Speaker 1: We were listening to the Bloomberg Business Week Daily podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from two to five eas during Listen on Apple Karplay and Android Otto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 3: Wayfair investors man are pushing this stock up a big time today, shares surging thirty one percent as we speak after the home furnishing retailer set sales at the US grew at their fastest clip since twenty twenty one, held by a growing number of brick and mortar stores, which has been a new initiative for them over the last few years and growing and also sales growing, helped out by demand for some of its higher end brands.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the stock ops seventeen percent your day earlier today as much as thirty two percent intra day highs the most going back to April of twenty twenty some perspective, the stock is still down Carol sixty six percent from that peak that was back in March of twenty twenty one, but today soaring higher.
Speaker 3: Yeah, big time. So we're delighted to have back with us. Joining us once again, Kate Olliver. She's the chief financial officer and chief administrative officer. We like to remind everybody that Kate oversees finance, legal talent, real estate, corporate affairs at Wayfairs. She has a full plate, so delighted once again to find some time for us. She's in Boston where the company's bossed. Kate, good to have you here. Congratulations Killer quarter. Thank you talk to us about the momentum.
Speaker 8: Well, I mean, I think you just said it right. It's it's nice momentum. Over many quarters now, and so I think what you're seeing is really the sort of multitude of initiatives that we've laid out the consistency of that playthrough and you know, building momentum there and that reaction is a result of those factors. So you know that US revenue growth of nearly nine percent, the highest in the post COVID period, the flow through to really solid contribution margin, high EBITDA margin, and then you know, best free cash flow that we've had since Q two, twenty twenty, and so all of the things that we have been working on to drive and improve that customer experience continue to come together help us gain share, and we're flowing that through quite nicely.
Speaker 2: Who are the customers who are buying right now? Because when you hear a superlative like you know, most since post pandemic days, you think to yourself, Okay, well, well, who are the customers who have who have the money right now to be buying this stuff.
Speaker 8: It's a great question. And we actually went on the call, we went into a little bit of detail around Paragold, which is our luxury brand. You know, it's of our sort of family of brands that plays at the highest end of the market. And we do see really nice momentum there. We said that was growing north of thirty percent, right, So you do see nice momentum in the higher end segment, the top part of that K shape you will in the K shaped economy that said Paragold is only you know, a little over four hundred million. So when you think about the overall Wayfair business, the Wayfair dot com brand, that mass market brand has to also be performing well to get to that nine percent comp and so what we're so seeing there is ongoing share gain and we think that's from programs like our Wayfair rewards program, programs like the stores you know which Carol, you had the opportunity to see, programs like our Wayfair Verified. The combination of those things is helping us, you know, both attract and retain these customers and have them engage more and more.
Speaker 3: Tell us about the stores. My understanding is that more than fifty percent of store customers are new. But tell us about that's a big investment, Kate. We've talked about it. I did go there. I was kind of blown away by the size and the scope of it. You guys continue to add stores, but tell us about you know, we kind of marveled over how everybody had pushed back on brick and mortar for years and so interesting. You know that your guy that you're finding success with it, but tell us how this is really moving the needle for you.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's a great it's a great call out. I think we're seeing that folks really do desire that multi channel experience. And you know, the stores are supported by e comm and e comms supported by the stores. Now, obviously it's very early days on the stores, so they're a very small piece of this overall momentum. We've had the Chicago store open now for a little over two years. Atlanta, where we were able to meet, has been open since early spring, and then we opened Columbus about a month ago. We've also announced Denver opening later this year, and then five more stores into twenty twenty seven. So the momentum, you know, to use the word of the day, is building with these stores. But it is early days. But what we're seeing is customers, you know, are new to defile, so they are new customers coming to the store. It's been a great acquisition channel. Customers are also getting exposed to the breadth of what we offer, so engagement in more sort of frequency categories decorative accent, seasonal decor. Being able to touch and feel the product is a win for them. And with that combination of the breadth of selection that we offer online, that's very compelling.
Speaker 2: You mentioned Paragole at this higher end brand and it's actually like it's it lives distinctly from Wayfair. I'm wondering about the momentum that you're seeing there, but also the momentum that you're seeing more broadly, and how you're confident that it's sustainable.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's a great question. I think it goes back to the fact that most of this momentum is coming from self help measures, right, So these are our own initiatives that are driven by it. We think the category itself is, you know, overall roughly flatish, and you know the category has been in a complicated place over the last few years, so you know, flatish place is a nice place to operate from. But the you know, close to nine percent comp in the US that's driven by US gaining share. And so what we can see is the building blocks of these pieces getting into place, and then we see how they compound on each other. So the Wayfair Rewards program, for example, is supported by Wayfair Verified, which is also supported by improvements and changes to the storefront experience. And then to your point around Paragold, it does have absolutely its own, you know, separate go to market facing site. It leverages the entire back end infrastructure, so the logistics infrastructure across you know, Wayfair, Inc. The tech stack, the ad tech stack across Wayfair, Inc. How the storefront evolves, and so we're able to build test things on Wayfair and then push them out to you know, Paragold or the specialty retail brands. For example, Wayfair Rewards started on Wayfair and that'll be launching at some point over the next year in the Paragold system as well.
Speaker 3: But you have to conceive, like you know, Kate, we talked about this, you know, existing home sales still you know, not on fire like the housing market. Yeah, if they but to see these results amid that backdrop, if that stays, let's say, existing home sales is depressed for another twelve to twenty four months. You guys have talked about kind of growing. I think it was roughly twenty percent growth through company specific initiatives. I think you said it earlier this year, if we kind of still contain, you know, remain somewhat depressed, do you still feel like you can achieve those goals or does it require a housing recovery because it is pretty remarkable in this market to see these results.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so I think you're referring to a new urgency of our co founder shareholder letter earlier in the year, and they talked about these initiatives that could get us back to that you know, double digit and then you know, from there to that twenty percent growth, and we do have a high degree of conviction of that. You know, we feel very good about these initiatives and the building effects of these initiatives. You know, obviously again that close to nine percent comp on the US this quarter, that high single digits guide, So we're building there, but the momentum is sustaining.
Speaker 2: You mentioned the way that you're doing this internally, in the way that you're gaining share from a market that is relatively flat wayfair rewards. How does that play into that and the metrics that you're seeing there. What changes are you seeing when it comes to frequency, retention, customer lifetime value payback relative to folks who are.
Speaker 8: Not members it's a great question. So what we, you know, wanted to try to do with Wayfair Rewards was exactly to drive up that frequency. The average wayfare customer shops you know, with us or buys with us just under two times a year, whereas a Wayfair Rewards customer is you know, three times a year, right, So you're seeing an incremental purchase from them, which at an AOV of three hundred dollars is pretty meaningful. And so the Wayfair Rewards program is really designed around frequency and ongoing engagement for the consumer, and we are seeing that from those rewards customers. We're also seeing them shop categories that are not you know, we are very well known for furniture. The rewards customers, though, are shopping decorative accents, they're shopping kitchen accessories. In some of these categories, they get preferential pricing or they get early access to sales, and so those things sort of reinforce the quality of the experience for them in that rewards program. And then on the P and L, you know, we've talked a little bit about how obviously rewards has an impact on gross margin because of the cash back element of it, but it's helpful on what we really look at, which is contribution margin because the rewards program you know, costs less obviously on an ongoing basis to get that incremental sale. So a lower ad cost is a percent of net revenue, meaning it would be a creative to the contribution margin that we really look at and ultimately to ebitdem margin ebit dead dollars.
Speaker 3: Hey, Kate, you know, one of the coolest thing is you guys really are a technology backbone and you go back to the origin of your company, which is really interesting if you think about, you know, kind of what's going on right now. You've partnered with different platforms, whether it's open AI, perplexity when it comes to agentic commerce. So what key performance metrics are you guys seeing when it comes to AI driven shopping shopping specifically, is it a meaningful contributor when it comes to traffic or to sales? Are you seeing that?
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's a great question. So we work across many of the lms you mentioned a few. We also work with Gemini. You know, we've said that we're an earlier partner on Universal Commerce protocol through them. We do say traffic today is is small from these sites, but it's growing meaningfully, right, so it's small but rapid growth. We think it's really important to be where our customer is at, and so if our customer desires to shop through these channels, we want to show up well there, whether that's you know, through actual shopping like Universal Commerce protocol, or you know, through ads like on open Ai, or if that's through you know, better search performance and how you show up in LLM based search. Right, So all of that, those are all things that we look at and that we work with a variety of these partners on. I think this is the place where our scale benefits us. You know, we have nearly twenty five years of history and data here and we know both one how to work with these partners. As you said, we're technology first, and two we bring to it, you know, some important data in terms of how we're able to show up there. And I think that helps the customer ultimately, because if our customer you know, wants to be using the platforms and shopping there, will be there. If she wants to come to us through the app, we're there. If she wants to you know, go into a store and shop with us, we're there as well.
Speaker 3: We got to leave it there. Kate's so great to get some time with you. As always always the stock as we're mentioned, it's up thirty percent as we speak, so investor is certainly liking what they heard.
Speaker 5: Kate.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you, thank you, Thank you. Kate Oliver. She's chief financial officerver at Wayfair. She's also chief administrative officer. Joining us from Boston.
Speaker 5: Stay with us.
Speaker 2: More from Bloomberg Business Week Daily coming up after this.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week Daily Podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from two to five.
Speaker 7: Yes.
Speaker 1: During this listen on Apple, Karplay and Android Otto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 3: So we're gonna talk a little bit about Copper because we did see it. Doctor Copper advanced to the highest and two months reaching fourteen thousand dollars a ton in London. Traders monitoring ballooning volumes held in the United States ahead of an expected decision on an import terror by President Trump. So we are seeing it come into the US at a rate at least twelve years, the fastest rate in at least twelve years, I should say, so some positioning ahead of that, the US is proposing including an additional fourteen types of derivative products on its section two thirty two tariffs and steel, aluminum, copper. I kind of say, coming into it and want to get to our guests, it just feels like tariffs go out of the headlines for a little bit and then all of a sudden, something else happens, another possible action or an actual action.
Speaker 2: Imagine if day affected your top or bottom line and you've had to keep track.
Speaker 5: Of those things. Yeah, not easy, right, not easy.
Speaker 2: We've got Richard Burke, with a senior analyst of metals in mining with our Bloomberg Intelligence team. He joins us here in the Bloomberg Interactive Brokers studio on the tariffs front, what is the administration now considering when it comes to steel, aluminum, and copper?
Speaker 7: Okay, on steel, you know, tariffs are at fifty percent. We've seen tariffs actually be put on a lot river of products over the last year or so, a lot more than initial that initially was set went up to fifty percent. Our view is that the tyrescent steel will stay at fifty percent just because you know, the sector has seen kind of resurgence. You've seeing you know, new core steel dynamics US steal through Nippon all reinvesting and starting new capacity and new plants and things like that, and that's what the government wants to see. On a lunum they're fifty. The trouble is that the US is short aluminum. Is a huge importer of aluminum, you know, applying rational economic thinking, I would think that that would drop down a little because you're hurting the US. The US can't is short of aluminum and probably can't produce aluminum. Aluminum is often referred to liquor metal electricity, So the fact that the US power cost is higher in the rest of the world, you're probably not going to see companies expand into the US. And plus now with the data centers, they're competing against the data centers who seem to have an unlimited budget to pay up for electricity, so.
Speaker 2: Asn't Historically a lot of the processing move to places like with a lot cheaper power. Like I remember being in Iceland like twenty years ago, and they were talking about the metals processing they were doing because of the cheap geo thermal that they had, which was essentially outsourcing the production of this because power was cheaper.
Speaker 7: Well, the interesting about Iceland is seventy five percent of their power is by three aluminum smelters.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 7: And then the other twenty five percent the people in the country, you know, their homes and things like that. I mean, it's just something really odd.
Speaker 2: But but from an economics perspective, like that made sense for so many years because you go where the power was cheaper, because this is a very energy intensive thing to do, right, Okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well so you know, I think it was last month, right, the Trump administration and now let me just look here and send a program to cut tariffs on imported aluminum to about twenty five percent from fifty percent. Our companies that build expand of refurbished illuminum plants in the US. I mean, your point is right. You can't just do this stuff overnight. It's expensive, it's difficult, and there might be some constraints about the cost of electricity here versus elsewhere. So is the administration doing that? It's it's just not realistic.
Speaker 7: Well, right, absolutely. You know you heard like for example, Alka has a plant, the war plant that's only half running, and they said in order to get up and run up and running, it would take them two or three years to get up and running and the tear you know, who is what the terriff situation is going to be in two or three years. And second of all, the cost of the power is prohibitive or drive and they haven't made In fact, you know they recently they're going to acquire SOP thirty two is aluminum business and a different country rather than take that money and invested in the US. So it's you know, when you have like the restart of three Mile Island Microsoft contract that had to buy the power at one hundred dollars in Megaua, the aluminum people, the looming companies need probably thirty five dollars in Megawa to be competitive with the rest of the world. So when you have a data center that's willing to pay three times to going rate, you know, it's kind of hard to restart aluminum in this country.
Speaker 3: It's like terrifying, like the power grab, It's like so Hunger Games, the power version, like it really what what.
Speaker 5: That means is we're going to keep importing this.
Speaker 7: Right, we have to keep impooring.
Speaker 5: And that's why it just does economically does not make sense, right, And.
Speaker 7: That's our viewpoint. Is that we you know, when we look across the tariffs of various metals and things like that, where like I said, applying rational economic theory, you're like, okay, this has to go back down versus other ones.
Speaker 9: This is what Jodo has talked to us about with rare earths, with the idea that the processing and extraction of this has been a challenging business in many parts of the world, including the United States, which is like, okay, why a lot of this moved to.
Speaker 3: China for right, because we did do it and then we gave it up hard to make it work. Exactly what about with steel? What do we need to know here? With steel?
Speaker 7: Steel? I think we'll stay at fifty percent because the government stands the reaction they're seeing, you know, plants being built and the US increased capacity. And basically if you look at what we call parents supply shipments plus imports, it's kind of stayed flat over the last two years. And what's really happened is our shipments are domestic shipments have just displaced imports. Now we still need a few imports because there's certain steals that the US doesn't make or they don't want to make, and you know, there's not big enough quantities or things like that. But really, what's you know, that's kind of going to what I would call the administration's game plan is the US has you know, displaced the imports and invested to do that?
Speaker 3: Was that pre though the Trump administration sec well let's start back in twenty eighteen was first one, so it did start back there.
Speaker 7: It kind of encouraged like new cores for example, new cores you know, just finishing up like a six or seven year capital spending program that they invested billions of dollars at. Really in twenty eighteen, I think the tariffs kind of gave them you know, made that decision easier to try. The stomach and things like that.
Speaker 3: So the mouth was there in order to do because a business, especially certainly if you're publicly held or something, but you're not going to do it unless you can make money here right.
Speaker 7: Right or it's viable well or the top you know, the you know, I think the bigger uncertainty is the timing. Will terrorist stick around things like that, and you know they have they you know, they've kept the twenty five percent Terrists that start back at two thousand eighteen you know, increase them with fifty percent, and took certain countries that previously were examp from tariffs and are example like Canada, Mexico.
Speaker 2: So I guess the the question is are the terrorists accomplishing with the Trump administration wants to accomplish?
Speaker 7: I think and certain and definitely steal. I think that's an instance, whereas other ones I'm not so sure it is.
Speaker 2: So what what could the what could the administration do to further provide an incentive for this stuff to be made in the US? I think aluminum notwithstanding, because it sounds like that one just won't be able to be done well.
Speaker 7: I think what they're we're starting to see companies reshoring. You know, you know, the was this whole big thought, Hey they're going to resure We hadn't really seen that. But I would say this last set of earnings calls talking to steal companies and service centers and stuff like that, they've kind of said that, hey, we're starting to see manufacturing come back and and be located in the US. Now. Part of the reason is tariffs. I also think another part of the reason is just the pandemic with the supply shape, supply chain shocks kind of said, Gee, companies that are starting to wake up like, hey, maybe I don't want to have my supply chains spread across the whole world and I needed closer to me to keep an eye on and things like that. So you know, it's kind of I think there's all intertwined things that are kind of starting. We're starting to see play out a bit.
Speaker 3: All right, we're gonna leave it there. It's interesting. Yeah, the reality of what canon can't be done. Thank you so much. I feel like it was a and we need it to get on the space because there's just things that kind of keep flying at us and just understanding it. Rich Thank you so much.
Speaker 7: Rich Berg.
Speaker 3: He is senior Analyst of Medals and Mining with our Bloomberg Intelligence team, joining us right here in studio.
Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Business Weekdaily podcast, available on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Listen live weekday afternoons from two to five pm Eastern on Bloomberg dot com, the iHeartRadio app, tune In, and the Bloomberg Business App. You can also watch us live every weekday on YouTube and always on the Bloomberg terminal