Speaker 1: Alzon Media.
Speaker 2: This is it could Happen here Executive Disorder, our usually weekly newscast covering what's happening in the White House, the crumbling world, and what it means for you. I'm Garrisondeo's Dam, joined by Mia Wong, James Stout, and Sophie Lichterman. This episode, we're covering the events from the end of December to the first week of January.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the events are not good.
Speaker 4: Did not start off to a slow start whatsoever, did not ease into the new year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this might be the worst just the worst first week of a year I can remember it. I remember twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Oh worst year ever potentially maya.
Speaker 2: I long for.
Speaker 3: The halcyon days in which twenty twenty was the worst year we'd ever experienced.
Speaker 1: I started twenty twenty cycling around Rwanda, and I had great start twenty twenty. This has not been a great start it.
Speaker 3: No, Yeah, let's talk about the event that happened several hours before we started recording this. We were recording this again on Wednesday, January seventh, so I don't think there's gonna be any new information about this. But yeah, hours before we started recording Ice shot and killed a woman in her car at a routine anti ICE action in Minneapolis. From the videos, these protests are identical to thousands of other small scale protests against ICE raids, where pissed off locals blow whistles and scream at the ICE agents who carry off their friends and family in the dead of night. The video shows ICE agents approaching a stopped car. One agent tries to open the front car door elle screaming get the fuck out, while another walks in front of the car as it backs up to pull away from the scene. As the vehicle pulls forward to drive away, the ICE agent pulls out his gun and shoots the dry This is the agent's immediate response. There is no verbal warning. He simply pulls out the gun and shoots. There are videos out there you will see. I have seen three angles of it so far. The videos are graphic and gut wrenching, as we'll get into in a second, so be warns if you are trying to watch them, you are just going to see ICE murder a woman. The agent, I can fairly definitively say, was in absolutely no danger. Again, he simply steps aside from the slow moving vehicle. He has enough time to take a shot and then step aside and take two more shots. The video is just heart wrenching. The closest angle we have, the woman recording the video is screaming no as the agent pulls out his gun and shoots. There's another video that shows there is a passenger inside of the van and it just so starts sitting on the ground, sobbing and saying, they killed my wife. I don't know what to do. It is one of the most heart wrenching things I have ever seen. Having watched the videos of both, it is eerily similar to ICE's murder of Silvero Viegas Gonzalez in Chicago in September, who was also killed while attempting to drive away from ICE agents, and who the DHS has likewise accused of committing acts of domestic terrorism by attempting to ram agents. It is clear from both videos that is not what was going on. Both these people were simply trying to pull away from the ICE agents, the other shooting that this is very similar to that I think has been getting more press comparisons, even though in terms of what actually happens in the video that we have, I think it's closer to the actual murder, but it is also very, very similar to an incident in Chicago last year where Border patrol agents hunted and then shot Mary mar Martinez, who thankfully survived but was charged by the federal government for domestic terrorism, a case which thankfully completely collapsed after, among other things, the contents of a group chat were released in which Charles ExHAM, who's the agent who shot her, was bragging about shooting the woman in Chicago. So that's I think a valuable insight into the mindset of these people is that when one of these went to trial, we got a group chat where the agent who shot a different woman in a very similar situation was bragging about it. In the immediate wake of this Trump post, untrue social that the driver in Minneapolis quote willfully and viciously ran over the ice officer who seems to have shot her in self defense end quote. And then he then links to a video which is a bad angle of the shooting that also does not show what he claims at all, because he is simply from the video footage we have available, this is simply a lie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, after the person was shot, that vehicle continued moving forward and struck a parked car. That is not unusual in the case when somebody's shot driving a vehicle, right, like when you jump forward onto the pedals.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's two things I want to emphasize here. One is that the DHS always releases statements. This is the third shooting like this that we've had since these massive immigration rays began. Every single time they release a statements where they accuse the driver of intentionally attempting to ram the agent, it has never been true. We have seen three attempts of this, We have seen the videos and three attempts of this. It has been false every single time. Major media outlets continue to just post the statements without any of the context. That these people have been lying about this every single time. And that. The second thing that I want to emphasize about this is how normal of a protest this was. This is just a completely ordinary ice action. It looks like every other anti ice action I have ever seen. It wasn't a particularly large one. It was just a group of people who were on the street. In the video where the woman is sobbing about her wife, she says that they pulled up to film the ICE agents. Yeah, it's heart wrenching. There have been lots of protests. Greg Bavino, whose influential word patrol officer we have talked about many times on the show, was at the scene. And it's also work noting this comes within twenty four hours of the White House announcing their giant operation in Minneapolis to deploy two thousand federal agents.
Speaker 2: This was specifically a new surge that started on Tuesday, January sixth, and Yeah, literally less than twenty four hours after this surge, Ice killed a woman. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The thing I want to end on in the of the immediate analysis, if we talk a bit about the protests that have been happening, is that absolutely hauntingly, today's murder took place less than a mile away from where police officer Derek Schauvin murder George Floyd, which is Yeah, it is as clear a demonstration of the continuity of the violence of the American state as can pop possibly be produced. Yeah, And I think the other pattern that we've seen specifically in these protests is pulling weapons on people constantly, even more so than normal police would. And you know, I remember a lot of people I've talked to in Chicago. One of the things that they said, is that, Yeah, this is if they're eventually going to shoot someone. They've now shot a third person in the course of these operations, and presumably as long as they're allowed to continue, they will probably shoot more people. Because one of the things that's the best apparent from this video is that this is the sort of muscle memory reaction that they have to being in front of a car that's moving towards them. There's no thinking, there's no thought. They just pull out the gun. Shoot. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean he's shooting the same time he's moving sideways out of the way of the of the car. Yeah. He just as easily could have not fired, and it would have had the same result. He just chose to fire.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: A little over an hour after the shooting, Mayor Jacob Afray of Napolis gave a press conference where he said this to Ice.
Speaker 5: There's little I can say again that'll make this situation better. But I do have a message for our community, for a city, and I have a message for Ice to Ice, get the fuck out of Minneapolis. We do not want you here. Your stated reason for being in this city is to create some kind of safety, and you are doing exactly the opposite. People are being hurt, Families are being ripped apart. Long term Minneapolis residents that have contributed so greatly to our city.
Speaker 2: To our culture, to our.
Speaker 5: Economy are being terrorized. And now somebody is dead. That's on you, and it's also on you to leave. It's on you to make sure that further damage, further loss of life and injury is not done. We're going to be working towards justice as quickly as we possibly can right now, and justice is what we've all got to get.
Speaker 3: Fray, I think is just is reflecting the sentiments of the city right now. There are immediate protests in I mean within minutes of the shooting. There are people showing up. Protests have been intensifying.
Speaker 2: Crowd's have got tear guest like thirty minutes after the shooting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean, and Bovino is there are pictures of him on scene while these protesters are sort of ramping up. So we will see what happens in Minneapolis in the coming days.
Speaker 2: Solidarity protests have already been announced in Portland and Philadelphia. Yeah, and I'm sure more cities will follow in the coming hours.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, We'll give an update next week if more information becomes available. I think the events themselves are fairly clear, but we will see what the federal reaction to this is going to be and what the reaction on the ground is, and we will keep you updated.
Speaker 1: That's and sabmads here, and we'll be back to talk about Venzuela. We are back with the second wild story of this week, which is that the United States supposed to be United States Special Forces radio Caracas last week and kidnapped President Maduro, who was the president of Venezuela and his wife. We covered the details of this in a whole episode, so I'm not going to go over any great detail here, and that's already out. Trump kidnaps Venezuelan President Maduro is the name of that episode, so you should be able to find out.
Speaker 2: The feed he danced too close to the sun.
Speaker 1: I'm not so sure the dancing was the fact of it. I will only update that to say a couple of things. First of all, we know that there were in excess of fifty Venezuelan casualties, right, I should say there were in excess of fifty casualties.
Speaker 2: Some of those would probably cubed sebecurity for.
Speaker 1: US Uban nationals year in a military advice kind of a prestige posting, but military advisor kind of role, and that there were injuries to US troops we didn't hear about first, So US troops and US helicopters did sustain some damage, but there were no people killed on the United States side. And Donald Trump has truth that I'm just going to read this one. I think, God, we can do our best to understand it. I am pleased to announce that interim authorities in Venezuela will be turning over between thirty and fifty million barrels of high quality, sanctioned oil to the United States of America. This oil will be sold at its market price, and that money will be controlled by me, as President of the United States of America, to ensure that it's used to benefit the people of Venezuela and the United States. I have asked Energy Secretary Chris Right to execute this plan immediately. It will be taken by storage ships and bought directly to unloading docks in the United States. Thank you for your attention to this matter. Donald J. Trump, President of the United States of America.
Speaker 3: You know I distinctly remember the days the halcyon days when I was a child, when saying no war for oil was a provocative political statement because the leaders of our country insisted that the wars were not in fact for oil.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all that has dropped and we do not give a single duck anymore.
Speaker 3: No, it were just openly doing the thing they were doing before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's wild to think of the Bush era of a golden age of at least pretending it is extraordinarily vague. Right, how much this oil is it being turned over over what period of time? It's Venezuela. They were expected to extract and refine the oil then hand it over, or it's going to give you as companies the right to do that.
Speaker 3: They don't have much of the processing facilities. There's like one, I think American processing facility that can process the kind of crew that comes out of Venezuela. But it's difficult. We talked about this more in the other episode. But it's de Venezuela and oil sucks. It's difficult to refine, it's no.
Speaker 1: High qual What are you talking about here in the post Man, I don't know, I don't know. I've been hearing the truth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in the truth.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Thank you, Garrison. That really does make it sound like I'm reading from the Bible at church and think that God, we'll say the oil is not sanctioned. That's not how sanctions work. Sanctioned countries and people, not things. Bizarre center structure is Yeah, it's doing a lot for me. So, Yeah, I talked about the Rodriguez option in the last show, and I guess this is kind of confirming a lot of what we get speculated about there.
Speaker 3: That's assuming this happens. By the way, I will say that there was some dip in oil prices today over the exact plication of this is real. But I don't know how well connected those people are, either quite frankly, or how much of an understanding anyone has over whether this is going to happen or not. We don't know. He just says things, and sometimes they happen and sometimes they don't, and there's no actual way to tell which ones are going to come true and which ones are just him posting.
Speaker 2: From Trump's mouth to Rubio's ears.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then Riba said something different in an interview. Trump says it again, and then yeah, there we go. Yeah, it does look like they are attempting to pursue the strategy which you spoke about, which isn't The only thing getting liberated in Venezuela is the oil. Right that they will allow the regime to continue. They will not be any attempt at regime change. They just want a puppet version of the old regime which they can manipulate purely, apparently for their own financial benefit with oil.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's also worth noting that Trump is claiming that he personally is going to be controlling the money after it's sold at market price, a sentence that any other time in American history would be the most dictatorial thing you've ever seen, but pales in comparison to the fact that he is claiming to be running a country after a war that he unilaterally started without congress.
Speaker 2: So, I mean, is it even accurate to call it a war? It seems like it's like a single military action. Now it's it's like an act of war, I guess, right.
Speaker 3: But okay, if you combined the blockades, which are an active war, and we'll get to blockades more in a second, and this, I think this is just a war.
Speaker 2: Like I mean, I went to the protest in New York the morning after the action, and you know, a lot of a lot of chance for about you know, no war in Venezuela, you know, no more bombs in Venezuela. And like it looks like they're kind of done. They they're kind of done with the bombs. They're kind of done with the war.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing though, So Trump has also said that if the current government of Venezuela refuses to comply, he will do.
Speaker 1: More strikes WHOA than he did mad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's always kind of difficult to parse exactly what's going on there, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a potential for more US action, definitely because it seems like right now they are paid to have got roughly what they wanted. And then like there's also the potential for this do you any number of ways? Right, Like things could continue to deteriorate for the regime there, Like, like what does it mean for their ability They have previously had the ability to use various kind of nefarious reflaggings of boats, which mean is going to talk about a second here to obtain some income, right, Like, if they're not even able to do that, it's get even worse. Right, And the economic situation in Venezuela could very easily get worse. I know everyone I've spoken to there is out trying to stock up on nonperishable food and they don't know what the future holds to them. Plus you now have, as we saw earlier in this week, very trigger happy pro government militias will probably be the best way to describe it. Like in this case, so they were shooting at a drone up in the air. But I think there's very clearly still a lot of tension in the country.
Speaker 2: So on Saturday morning, after the military action in Venezuela, I went to the protest in New York, like like I previously mentioned, and I've put together this little audio report that I recorded at the protest that takes you through about like an hour's worth of protest activity. And yeah, give it a give it a lesson. It is Saturday, January third, two fifty four pm. I am in Times Square with I would say two hundred to three hundred people protesting US action in Venezuela as well as Iran and the genocide in Palestine. Kind of a mix of causes, but mostly talking about Venezuela and the military extradition of President Maduro. Like The organizational structure at this protest seems to be mostly propped up by various communist organizations. There's a revolution Communist Party tabling. There's the BOB, a vacant refuse fascism organization with a lot of banners and signs. PSL has a bunch of banners and signs, as well as the Kuney Internationalist student group, which is tied to the New York City Public University system. They have some homemade signs, the only signs actually drawn on paper probably this morning, versus all of the PSL signs, which appear pre printed and pre prepared. A rotating selection of speakers have given speeches for the past hour, and now at three pm, this relatively small crowd for a New York protest is leading a march south. I don't know, I'm not alive. The march is taking up probably about one city block just outside of Times Square on forty third and eighth, turning on to eighth Avenue. Now after about ten minutes of marching and why hed bikes at the front of the march as well as on foot officers on either side of the crowd not like a huge presence. I've maybe seen cumulatively one hundred or so cops, which is actually not that much for New York, especially based on how spread out they are, because maybe like two dozen cops on either side of the march, just walking walking on the sidewalk, and then maybe another another two to three dozen in the front and more in the back, so between fifty to one hundred. A little over fifteen minutes into the march. They have now moved up to forty seventh Street. At this point, there's been zero conflict with the police. They mostly facilitated the traffic around the march as people continue to chant and walk north. The crowd has been marching for over thirty five minutes and now are arriving at what I assume is their destination, Columbus Circle up at fifty eighth Street and Broadway. No scuffles with the police. There was like two guys in mega hats, kind of I'm trying to antagonize the side of the crowd. For the past fifteen minutes, nothing really happened. One random dude came out of a convenience store yelling fuck ro Duro, trying to agitate some people in the crowd, but everyone just moved on and now they are approaching Columbus Circle.
Speaker 5: The decent people in this country needs to answer.
Speaker 6: The people of the hole. What are we gonna do? This is not a time for protract the usual.
Speaker 3: There needs to be a full regime, not a minute failing for right here in the US country.
Speaker 6: Oh my, guys, got interest in.
Speaker 2: Police are now very lightly directing people into Columbus Circle, onto the plaza and off of the street. Some groups are hacking up their protests signs and bags and starting to peel off. So as expected, this protest was done by a coalition of anti imperialist leftist, socialist communist organizations. You have the Party for Socialism and Liberation PSL and all of these other like communist groups who are all primarily either trying to grow their membership roster or sell their newspapers. Sell there are magazines, and this is what most of the protest actually is. They have tables set up while people are giving speeches. They have people walking around handing out pamphlets and flyers. And this protest was not very big, Like I said, it was relatively small, maybe two hundred and three hundred people because there's not a lot of public buy in for this sort of thing, because at this point, if anyone's been around, they know, based on the flyers that get posted, what kind of protest this is going to be. This is going to be socialist communist organizations trying to grow their membership. It's not a representative sample of the people of New York. It is. It is people trying to sell magazines and newspapers and books. And the fact that the entire proto secret system for stuff like this is fully captured by these sorts of organizations makes it really hard to grow a genuine movement because people know that it's going to be walking for thirty minutes and then people are going to be shoving pamphlets in in their hand, and that's the extent to what you are protesting. It is that it's walking along a path led by the NYPD to on this circle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm to this happening in almost every city in the US, right, Like I saw a fly for one in San Diego. Personally couldn't be asked to attend because, as you say, like I knew what was going to happen, and like the person in a high verse and a clipboard was going to try and get my email address.
Speaker 3: I will say that the thing, the thing that did hearten me a little bit was that there were a few protests, I mean just out in the Chicago suburbs, which is not a place you normally have these that weren't by these groups that were just pretty spontaneous on the morning of the demonstration. But the sort of issue, yeah, that you're fraying two Garrison is that like even these spontaneous protests, the energy just gets captured by like the PSL and these organizations that fundamentally don't want to do anything other than grow their organization. And yeah, that was from.
Speaker 1: In order to co opt the anger that's happening right now, and I wanted to find out that anger and a useless direction that burned people out on actimism. I wouldn't change anything from the PSL.
Speaker 3: And I mean, and this is this has been what the American anti war movement has looked like since the Rock War demonstrations. Yeah, right, this was this was one of the battles that happened inside of the Rock War protests and it's one of the reasons why they didn't work.
Speaker 2: And like, this is a very serious thing, Like this is a very serious military action that should warrant massive public outcry. But protesting taps into a finite resource that people have, and when you have an inclination that the protests are going to go this way, people might not want to expend their personal resource because it is not seriously putting pressure on anyone making decisions in the government.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is a very serious thing that we shouldn't under play for a second that like the United States had done something which is completely illegal, right, which is an act of war against a cerfin country. And like me saying this doesn't mean I'm like amduro Stan. Anyone who has listened to any portion of my work will understand that. But it is incredibly serious to the US and attempting to set a precedent that it could just black bag heads of state. Whether or not the US considers a legitimate right, their argument that the duor is not legitimate, it doesn't matter. If they can just send due to in helicopters to black people around the world, then that is a very scary precedent.
Speaker 2: All right, I am going to head out and re turned to the CEES show floor. I will say for the if you're doing a tariff talk segment. There has been discussion of tariffs at CES that I have not mentioned on the CES episodes so far two thumbs down to two thumbs down on the tariffs from the Consumer Electronics showcase. Now they're coming out with the bold stands that they don't like the tarf.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: I think Ivanka Trump was giving a keynote of dress at the last CES that I attended.
Speaker 3: Rock incredible, incredible.
Speaker 1: Well related news. I've stopped attended.
Speaker 2: Well, I have to keep attending now because the Secretary to the US from Estonia was was googling me for thirty minutes yesterday, so I might be getting a new passport.
Speaker 3: Oh boy, speed, I.
Speaker 1: F the AI prebanalyzing toilet for me, Garrison, I will do so.
Speaker 3: One of the questions that we had at the very beginning of this operation was what is going to happen to the US oil blockade on Venezuela, And the answer is that it appears to still be in a fact, the evidence of which is the US interdicting to oil tankers, one of which they've been chasing for about a month a few weeks, which is really funny if you know how large an oil tanker is, that you've fit in a boat chased with an oil tanker.
Speaker 1: It's like, I guess it's just so big they can't make it stop.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 3: Apparently the demonstration is claiming that the coast Guard had attempted to board it, and they refuse to allow the Coastguard to board. But the only thing I can think of is, you know those those giant vehicles they use to move rockets around at JPL or like like from JPL, like on the launch site where they have They can only move like five miles an hour, and they're the size of a rocket because you have to have a standing rocket on it.
Speaker 2: That's what it's like.
Speaker 3: They're chasing an empty oil tanker the Atlantic. That's also worth noting that one of the very weird parts of this is that I'm gonna quote quote from writers here. Attorney General Pam Bondi said in a statement that the ship's crew had made quote frantic efforts to avoid apprehension, which again, I cannot emphasize this enough. This is an oil tanker, Like, this is not a speed This is like the largest, like one of one of the largest and most unwieldly craft that humanity has ever produced in its entire history, Like, how are you getting frantically the tanker? Yeah, I don't know an oil taker evasive maneuvers And this is this is also from the Raiders thing end quote failed to obey coast Guard orders and so faces criminal charges, which sucks. But also I like, if you're getting evaded by an oil tanker, that is a skill issue, Like you can there are websites where you can track these things. They have transponders, like when this thing was captured, ITAs transponder was on. So this skill issue. I good lord. On a more serious note, this is this is part of that initial oil blockade of sanctioned Venezuela and oil that began last year. The US government has been saying that this ship and the other ship that the other oil tanker that they've seized are basically ghost chips, which we talked about another episode. I don't if you want to explain again what that is, James, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're often old ships that are either reflagged, or the ships that have been retired and are returned, or the ships have been scraped and someone has taken their name and it's using it so that they pay elect ships you know, coming back from the dead. But often they will reflag or rename halfway through their trip, and it's a bunch of boat law stuff to avoid sanctions, is what they tend to be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And so that's the US's justification for seizing two more oil tankers, which again I also kind of emphasize enough that this also is an active work.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, were they flagged as Venezuelan.
Speaker 3: No one of them was flaged as Russian, and I haven't seen anything about what the other ship was flagged as. China has protested the seizures of these boats, but there hasn't really been anything other than diplomatic noise so far from the Chinese government. Who if there was a government on the world stage who was going to do a serious protest about this, I think it would have been either Russia or China, And we haven't really seen anything more significant than the diplomats being annoyed. So we will continue to see how this oil blockade plays out and the effects that it has on people in Venezuela. I wish I had a better adput for this, but I don't. So here's ads.
Speaker 1: Well, they liked oil tankers, may they just rumble along and you can't stop. We've been unable to interdictment.
Speaker 3: We are back from our failed ad intradiction. Do you want to talk about Syria, James, Oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is James Grim the rest of the world segment. And because a lot of bad stuff is happening and some of it's not going to punch into like your mainstream US news media diet. So right now, pretty serious fighting has broken out in a leper right. Syrian Transitional government forces are shelling and attempting to enter the Kurdish enclave shikmuk Sud. Shipmunk Sud is like an area in where Curdish and other people right there with Christian people. There is ZD people who live there have this enclave has remained right despite the the regime taking over of the Syrian traditional government taking over the rest of them read, they didn't take over the areas. Area has remained under the control of the aa n S the Autonomous Administration of North and East Syria AKA or Java, but they have demilitarized it. And what that means is that there are only internal security forces who are called sash in Kurdish in this region, but piers that what happened was that an SDF drone unit struck an STG vehicle with a drone. STG Syrian Transitional Government, right, that's the Jiulani al Shara government, and of course they have another acronym just yeah yeah, the acronyms we over yeah, they're yeah good always more so, they hit this std Veglan dat Hafa, and then the STG seemed to respond by dropping grenades into Ship Maksoud from drones, and then the SASH responded with drones and conflict began.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: What's different from then There has been conflict on and off in shipmak Sud for a long time, but in the last year, right since HTS moved from Aleppo to seize most of the country. HTS Tolio alf Sham a group that was formerly on the Foreign Terrorist Organization that's the United States, but no longer is what we have seen here is not only shelling of the ship mac Suden neighborhood and shalling in response or mortify and respond for the SACH don't have heavy weapons, that's not their role. The STG has also attempted to enter Ship Maxu to seize it.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: This has obviously prompted thousands of people to flee because they are worried very reasonably about groups that were previously known under the banner of the SNA or the Turkish f SA, who have previously conducted ethnic cleansing of Kurdish people in areas that they have managed to take control of. Right, who have murdered civilians, who have executed women in Kurdish politics. There's every reason for the civilian interfere that are happening again, right because the Syrian Transitional Government has too often just rebadged SNA units with a long and storied history of war crimes and not done anything to stop them doing it again. But also, some of these are not SNA units. Some of these are Syrian Transitional Government units from other parts of Syria. Nonetheless, like there's this attempt and incursion into the neighborhood is remarkable, it's different. As I write this, the SDG appeared to be staging to enter the neighborhood again. Very amusingly, they took a video showing this, which also revealed the position of all their armor on telegram.
Speaker 3: Classic classic serience of a war stuff. Yeah, yeah, yeah, everyone loves to be revealing their position on telegram.
Speaker 1: So yeah, maybe when I when I reopened telegram, those guys would have been wiped out by a bunch of your owns.
Speaker 3: Who knows.
Speaker 1: But yet it continues to be a flashpoint. And this is the most serious flare up we've seen in a long time. Right, there was supposed to be an agreement for the integration of the SDF into Syrian Transitional Government Ministry of Defense. That has failed. They haven't come to an agreement. Various sources are reporting various things about what they wanted or specifically what the SDF wanted for YPG. Who are the Women's Defense Forces and there are that is a definite red line for them. They won't disband that. The other women won't put down their death right and for very reasonable reasons. We don't know exactly if the starting transitional government refuse to accept them in any way. They have said they wouldn't do that, They have said they would accept them, but we don't really have like a very clear picture of the last round of negotiations. Talking of Kurdish armed groups, let's go from Jaba to Roja, that right across Kurdistan from west to east. Just looking at the little compass in my head. In Iran, protests have grown around the country. These protests began largely because of the decreased purchasing power of people's money.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 1: Of course, the protests have further reduced that and people are really feeling that nomic bite right now. This time. What is different is that armed groups have come out in support. I saw Lead, the name translates as People's Revolutionary in Front had assassinated a car breather. It's like a drive by Pak so Pak, one of the smaller Kurdish paramilitary groups. I made an episode I think it was called what does Bombing Mean for Freedom in Iran last year with Gordain and I will try and get back with Gordy soon to talk more about this. But if you're wondering who are all these groups? What are all these acronyms, that's the episode you need to go to. So Pak, Peshmoker have been killed, right, which is a significant change. There have been armed elements in these protests and there has been a unity statement both from the different Kurdish armed groups. I think it was Piak Pak and Kamala who made this statement, right, and then also from coalition of Kurdish means organizations. It's organization from across that political spectrum, but in that part of the world, coming together to denounce the actions of the regime, which include, for instance, in Alarm Province riot police storming a hospital. I don't know people will have seen that video, but it was extremely surving.
Speaker 3: Has there been any movement from the blushy independence groups, Yeah, sure there has, Yeah, but I know, I'm pretty sure it was a VOLUSI group. I remember in the twenty nineteen protests, the most military goal was I think a blueshy group like fired at RPG at a police track point, but it never really sort of spread beyond that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. There are different Yeah, there are a number of like volutions groups. I'm not aware of their involvement. There have definitely been like police repression there like there was everywhere else. Right, Yeah, absolutely, I will try and probably cabin it in a whole episode next week.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 1: I've had a lot of time to prepare on that with all the craziness. I did see that this morning, So we're on the seventh again. The armed forces attack protesters in the Grand Bazaar and Tehran, which if you're not aware has a tremendous significance right from their seventy nine revolution there, and Trump has thrown twentyvene as he always does.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, exactly perfectly what the regime wants. There's a lesson to portray themselves as defenders of Iranian sovereignty, et cetera, et cetera. Acainst American imperialism.
Speaker 1: Yeah, America grade satan. Moving on, let's talk about Israel. Israel has threatened to withhold I believe it has now withheld registration to operate in Gaza from MSFIER OXPAN and a number of other aid organizations. MSF, I'm just going to quote from them called it a cynical and calculated attempt to prevent organizations from providing services in Gaza in the West Bank, which is a breach of Israel's obligations under international humanitarian law. It's just them trying to further starve people to death. Right, there's no other Reasonably's has made the claim that these groups have been infiltrated by militants. That is a barkable conjecture, Like it's a bad joke, Like I've worked with MSF and OXFAM all over the world. Right, there were a lot of criticisms of them. I would make one of them is not that they have been infiltrated by shocking on us like you're having a laugh. I want to do a hard episode on this.
Speaker 2: But like.
Speaker 1: When Brian talks about two plus two weekals five in nineteen eighty four, this is where that gets us, right, when you can just say something that is blatantly false and force people to agree that it is true. That is the project of genocide because it first has to destroy the truth to justify what it is doing. And we are seeing that happening. And a very brief migration update. Finally, in the case before George Bosberg regarding the Alien Enemies Act that we've brought about before, the Trump administration asked for a delay because of the changing situation in Venz Whaler, right, I don't think there wasnt for delay so they can be like, oh, it's not safe for people to go back, we'd better keep hold of them and treat them nicely. It is nice suspicion that any agreement they come to with the Rodrigez the regime will include that it must accept people back. And as I said in the other episode, right, these people are going back to a country which is deeply paranoid about American spies, and they have lived in America. This is not going to be good for them. And the City of San Diego has sued the Trump in administration for damage to city property on Marin Valley Road or as father complaint today to do so. I'm glad of doing it. It's also deeply hypocritical. Right Mayor Tod Glauria was out there asking for more border security finding Underbiden, the defunded the office in the city which would welcome refugees and migrants, like, is it just a publicity thing?
Speaker 3: Probably?
Speaker 1: These people don't care. Right when migrants were being held in the open air in San Diego County, in San Diego City, these people weren't there and still glad's happening. But don't for one second believe the people get a single shit about but migrates they don't and don't for one second. Thing they're voting for them is voting to be kind to migrants, because it's not told. Laurier is a liar and just like everything else, he is using this an opportunity to promote himself and he's a terrible person. But yeah, in this case they are suming for trespassing and placing the razor wire on city property. It's city property. This way outside of where you would think the city of San Diego is. It's just adjacent to o turn Out and wilderness. But I think they have it there for water rights reasons or something.
Speaker 3: Brief teriff update, not tariff news. This week, however, Comma the Supreme Court is expected to roll on the giant case over a wide swath of Trump's tariffs this Friday. So next week we will explain what happened there on the Fallout. As you're listening to this episode, that decision might have already been released. Have fun and put a transferl on your.
Speaker 1: Couch, and if you would learn to email us, you can do so cool Zone tips at prodon don't me. If you wanted to be encrypted, you should use a proton mail address as well.
Speaker 4: And uh, you know, we reported the news.
Speaker 2: We reported the news.
Speaker 3: It could happen.
Speaker 4: Here is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website coolzonmedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can now find sources where it could happen here listed directly in episode descriptions. Thanks for listening.